Game 10: Canadiens hold on to defeat Bruins

cammalleri-Bruins

Preview | Matchups | Thursday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s Game Blog, About last night … | Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

MORNING SKATE AUDIO: Daniel Paillé | Shawn Thornton | Benoit Pouliot | Claude Julien

• At a Glance: The Canadiens held off the Boston Bruins for a 2-1 win on Thursday night, the first time the two teams had met since last season’s playoffs. The Bruins opened the scoring on a power play 14:05 into the first period, but it was one for the blooper reel. The Canadiens actually won the faceoff, but the puck went toward Canadiens goalie Carey Price, who attempted to clear the puck into the corner, but missed it and the puck went between his legs and into the net. Erik Cole got his second of the season to tie the game 1-1 when he redirected a Jaroslav Spacek point shot beyond Bruins goalie Tim Thomas. Tomas Plekanec put the Canadiens ahead 2-1 a little more than halfway through the third period with a low wrist shot that beat Thomas, who was caught a little out of position after Plekanec’s original shot was blocked by a defenceman.

• Keys moments: Rafael Diaz dove to prevent a Bruins goal late in the second period after Price mishandled a puck behind his net.

• What It Means: The Canadiens have won two in a row for the first time this season and improve to 3-5-2, sitting two points up on the Bruins.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens play twice against the Bruins, Thursday in Boston and Saturday back at home. After that, they are off until Friday, Nov. 4 when they play in Ottawa.

1. JayBee says:

The officiating was absolutely brutal. The Bruins get away with everything. It’s disgusting.

Great win though. Price was unreal and redeemed himself for that softie.

Still…it’s evident that this team needs to bulk up. Even the anti-toughness/size brigade must admit that.

2. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

The more I listen to Tony Marinaro and Team 990, the more I regret CJAD losing the Habs broadcasts. I have heard more professional sounding high school sports broadcasts. And Marinaro is an arrogant douche. I realize TSN had the financial clout to outbid CJAD, but do the Molson’s really want that group of morons to be the voice of their franchise?!

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

3. timothy13 says:

No matter the sport, anything can happen, and a W means one team wants it more and tonight the Habs proved that with their second W in a row. The party is not over nor has it begun because Sat night in Montreal will be another test. A big one. A W will be sweet but it will still be a battle and may the better team W! Go Habs ! Go!

4. The HonestFan says:

Nothing has changed!!! Still too soft when things go south !

5. robdoobs says:

The delay on RDS vs The Team radio is about 15 seconds, a lil annoying, as i thought it would be closer!

Let’s hope the guys can keep it rolling tonite in Beantown….still need more scoring, and more toughness….

6. hansolo says:

On Emelin sitting…there’s a theory (heard it on RDS during the Florida game) that Cole wasn’t being given much PP time before b/c he showed up to camp in not optimal shape. Could that be also why Emelin is sitting? JM and the Randys want him to understand he has to earn his ice-time and get into game shape?

7. Vladdy Mondavi says:

To continue the discussion on Pronger’s importance to his team, TSN mentioned last night that not only has Pronger led three separate teams to the finals, but every team that had traded him away missed the playoffs the following year.

Interesting fact. That’s all.

_______________________________
    Opinions are like kittens, I’m giving them away.

• bleedhabs81 says:

I said the same thing before the game to my wife… there was a reason the Oilers went to the cup finals that year. It wasn’t that they were blessed with skill or a number of outstanding players.

8. Mattyleg says:

Right, you might not like it (or care, for that matter) but I really get a kick out of doing this, so here’s the next installment of

Lovesong of J. Alfred Martin
    (apologies to TS Elliot)

And indeed there will be time
    For the yellow Bruin that slides along the boards,
    Rubbing its back upon the plexiglass panes;
    There will be time, there will be time
    To prepare a check to meet the faces of the hordes;
    There will be time to murder and get goals,
    And time for all the works and days of hands
    That lift and drop a puck through the five-hole;
    Time for you and time for me,
    And time yet for a hundred coaching indecisions,
    And for a hundred GM’s visions and line-revisions,
    Before the taking of a steamie and a 50.

In the locker room the reporters come and go
    Talking of PK, Hal and Gio.

**more later!**

—Hope Springs Eternal—

9. savethepuck says:

Boston has not played since last Saturday so I am hoping they come out flat and rusty instead of well rested and on fire. I do know that there is no reason the Habs shouldn’t come out flying in this game. Playing the Bruins should be enough, but add to that the team that beat you in game 7 in OT to send you golfing last spring. Just hope their legs hold up late in the game.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

Has anyone here tried watching the game on RDS and stream audio through Team 990? I plan to try tonight, curious how out of sync the delay will be on the TV.

11. Eric Danis says:

Ok so last night we played great hockey, is it possible that we played freat hockey all along but didnt have the bounces we desereved… And perry pearn was fired because his pp and pk and handaling of pk subban was horrible, i think that the coachs are done being moved and that gionta and gomez will both be let go this year. Gionta is off to a bad start lets hope that its because hes hurt.

• HardHabits says:

The last two games and the ones previous are two different teams.

Their game is different in all three zones. Aggressive 2 man fore-check and better defensive zone coverage being the stand out differences. Habs blocked a ton of shots too. They are playing bigger too. Taking it to the other team as opposed to taking it on the chin does that.

Over/Under on number of tumbles/spills/falls Pouliot has tonight?

I am proposing a number of 4 (due to limited shifts).

However, his best game all last year was against his former club the Wild, so we need to be ready. If indeed he has a strong game I have one recoemendation for Saturday:
    Triple Coat the Blue Line Paint, he will be sprawling all night.

• savethepuck says:

You’re still not putting the .5 in your over/unders. Has Pouliot even been named in the Bruin’s starting line-up for tonight, he may be a healthy scratch, he hasn’t played every game this year.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• sevenman says:

I’ll take the over even though he’s only averaging 9:50 of ice time per game this year….classy C. Julien will double his ice time tonite no doubt

13. Marcusman says:

Didn’t love Webber’s goal last night… that my friends was a rocket. wizzzznewsski who?

• sevenman says:

I fall into the category of fans who think Weber will never be a solid NHL defenseman but if he plays like last night he could change alot of minds. Not just the goal, he played well defensively and even showed a little toughness.

• savethepuck says:

He’s been playing like that for over a week. his ice time is increasing, he gets at least 2nd PP minutes and he’s even been getting, to my surprise, PK duty

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

14. Bripro says:

Here’s another moral bonus for those who watch RDS.
    There’s a french commercial for Enterprise car rental.
    The first sweater you see is the Jets’, followed by the Oilers, then the Flames, then our CH, then Ottawa and finally the Canucks.
    See a pattern here?
    No Leafs! It’s great….I love it.

You had me until Ottawa and Canucks showed up…. :)

• Bripro says:

C’mon HB. Work with me here!

While I share the despising of Leafs (live here) I used to live in B.C. also and despise the Canucks (almost Bruin level), Ottawa, well that is the source of all things wasteful irregardless of which party is pretending to lie the least.

Sorry, I wasn’t being a very good sport.

• Mattyleg says:

Ha! I hadn’t noticed that.

It’s like the Rogers Sportsnet ad with all the Canadian teams, then some Luongo lookalike in a Habs tuque tacked on near the end.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Bripro says:

Yes! Same emotional outcome….does that make me shallow?
            Ah, who cares!

Yup, how obvious is it that Rogers doesn’t give a flying rats ass about the Habs. Since Bell/TSN got the regional rights, they now have free reign from head office to poop all over all thing Habs.

• Jeff says:

All the Canadian teams eh? I always thought Toronto was in Canada?

Most NHL teams are Pretenders to the Cup, especially the Habs !

• savethepuck says:

I love no Leafs too but the order should be changed. The CH should be first or last

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

Is it confirmed Emelin not in lineup tonight?

16. Rainrocket16 says:

I don’t wan’t Max to get any suspensions but I would love to see some sort of payback tonight!! Balls to the Walls boys!!!

17. Mattyleg says:

It’s about time we got some garbagey goals like AK’s last night, because we’ve been getting nothing recently, and it’s not for lack of trying.

I was also glad to see Carey Price get some breaks too. Stupid bounces that were going in on a regular basis for the last 6 games were finally not finding the back of the net.

It dawned on me, watching the Habs’ game progress from a confused tangle in the first period to a well-oiled machine in the third, that we were playing badly because we were in a slump. Confidence, confidence, confidence. It’s like nothing we did worked, so we kept trying to do different things. Which didn’t work either, so we didn’t know what to do anymore. Then, last night, when things started to work, we got more confident doing them, and did them better and better.

Slumping creates slumping. If you know what I mean.

Let’s hope that winning creates winning. And going up against a B’s team that looks almost as gormless as us may just be the tonic we need!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• savethepuck says:

I am a strong believer that hockey is a game of momentum swings from timely goals or mistakes along with lucky or unlucky bounces. Over an 82 game schedule the best teams will end up at the top of the standings, but it will be due to a large mix of winning streaks and slumps. Washington won the East last year and Ovie reminded me on a TSN clip Tuesday night that they had an 8 game losing streak last year. Totally agree that when you are on a losing streak your confidence is shaken and you get frustrated. When you lack confidence, you play tight. When you play tight, you make mistakes. I find it most noticable in goaltenders. A tender can stand on his head for 2 weeks, then $#it to bed for a week. His abilities don’t change, his confidence and mental game ( focus) does. When a goaltender lacks confidence he plays tight, fights pucks, and gives up bad rebounds ( to me the most noticable sign he’s tight). When a goaltender is confident, he’s focused, has rebound control, and can actually find pucks thru screens.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• ed lopaz says:

I appreciate your post and agree.

But I would add:

When ” It’s like nothing we did worked, so we kept trying to do different things. Which didn’t work either, so we didn’t know what to do anymore. ”

that’s when NHL coaches are supposed to earn their very large salaries, is it not?

• Mattyleg says:

Mmm, that’s true.
        But sometimes all they can do is keep the players focused on what they’re doing right, which is what JM did in all the press conferences, rather than focus on what they’re doing wrong, which is plain for all to see.

I’m not justifying anything, I’m just saying that that kind of positivity is a choice available to a coach.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

18. timothy13 says:

Tonight’s Boston and Montreal match-up is a toss up and frankly if the Habs win tonight they could win again Sat night the L streak could seem like a fluke. Yes, a lot of energy will be in the Boston home ice but the Habs have something to prove. Look for the team to score early and hold an edge. Beat them @ their own game! Go Habs go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• vivsterjuve88 says:

it’s really a competition of who can take less stupid minor penalties btwn the entire habs roster and benoit pouliot. We may be good at taking soft trips to the penalty box but we’ve got some stiff competition in this one!

• Jeff says:

Yah right, & if I wore a habit I’d be a nun. LOL

Most NHL teams are Pretenders to the Cup, especially the Habs !

19. Richard B says:

Is there a way to view your own profile and find old comments that you made on this new crappy site? I used to be able to find my old posts and find if people responded…now it seems difficult to find!

Richard B

20. Thomas Le Fan says:

Gee, I certainly hope we don’t manage to beat the Bruins and I especially hope we don’t sweep them and get a three game winning streak going. How disappointing would that be to our doom’n’gloom squad? Go Habs but … not tooo much.

21. lukas-joshua says:

is the game on rds tonight?

• HalifaxHabs says:

every Habs game is on RDS… best $6/month on my cable bill.

• lukas-joshua says:

so there’s no need for center ice??

• RGM says:

Only if you want to listen to Jack Edwards on NESN.

———————–
          GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!

• lukas-joshua says:

I can’t listen to that guy.

Thanks guys, i’m on hold with my cable company right now.

• Bripro says:

All you have to remember is when Pierre Houde scream out
            “C’est le but!!!” (pronounced say-leh-bue),
            you know we’ve scored.
            As for the rest, it’s just completely biased habs rhetoric.
            I love that station.
            We tried to switch over to TSN, and they spent most of the time talking about the Leafs….gag!

• savethepuck says:

At least you can be sure that RDS is offered in HD, which as far as I know, is not the case on Center Ice. Every game in HD far outweighs my limited French IMO

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
          Carey Price

• lukas-joshua says:

for me it was 3 bucks for RDS and the NHL Network. It was 200 for the center ice.

• vivsterjuve88 says:

u can also relax knowing those scrambled french words your brain is taking in aren’t the ridiculous anti-hab nonsense you’d have to deal with were you to tune into NESN, NBC, or CBC… RDS is the best 2.99 on my cable bill:)

• Mattyleg says:

When I came back to Montreal from living in Europe for 10 years, where I had hardly used my French at all, I found RDS a great way to rekindle my French knowledge.

Believe it, you can improve your French just watching hockey! Keep your internet dictionary close by, and you’d be amazed at how, by the end of the season, that droning noise in the background during the game will actually turn into insightful points brought up by Pierre Houde! Takes a bit of concentration, but a few minutes every game where you really tune in… it’s worth it!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• avatar_58 says:

Not in every region/provider. I’m with shaw hamilton and they don’t offer RDS HD. Annoys the shit out of me :(

• avatar_58 says:

@Mattyleg – I can’t seem to find “oy oyoy” in there…

Not for me, I live in a region serviced by Cogeco Cable, and while I get RDS i don’t get it in HD. SUCKS, and worst part is Cogeco is a Quebec based cable company, you would think they would take care of what matters.

@avatar58, I feel and live your pain bro.

Nice to see you posting Hal, I hope your job is going well. Miss reading your slightly sarcastic yet very reasonable observations here.

• Marcusman says:

Having not lived in Montreal for the last 15 yrs I love watching the games in French. RDS is the best sport value in the business, I’m sure Yankee’s, Celtic and Cowboys fans may wayyyyy more for season tube tickets.

22. samTHEman says:

They definitely deserved the win. Hard work pays off. The difference last night was they finally capitalized on most of their chances unlike vs the 1st game against Toronto, Florida and Buffalo games where they put up 40+ shots in vain.

I have to admit though…they finally caught a break. Simmonds missed a wide open net and a goal there could of changed the allure of the game. Kostitsyn’s goal was a series of good bounces that FINALLY went their way (hallelujah). It’s also a totally different ball game with Pronger out of the line-up but give them credit.

Price kept them in the game with key saves to Giroux and JVR. He’s matured so much in the past 2 years. I remember when he used to accept his fate, unable to turn things around. What people have to understand is Price is a HUGE COMPETITOR (no surprise). He has a very self-defeating personality (see Roy) and you could easily see it in his eyes and body language in the past. Not so much anymore. Keeps his focus.

I thought Gorges deserved a star last night but hard to reward everyone when so many players were on….Cole, Patches, Pleky, DD, Gorges, Price. He had 2 assists but most importantly, did you guys see him hustle to clear the front of the net without taking a penalty? (the obstruction call was bogus). If only Gill would do that more often.

What a difference maker Cole is on that line with 2 smurfs when he’s playing physical down low. Creates so much room for 2 guys; a great passer and our best finisher. I have to admit though, Cammy doesn’t seem happy with his performances. He knows he’s capable of better. Always doing the same move coming off the left wing…fake wrist, slide the puck under D’s stick and it doesn’t work as often as he’d like. Why don’t we see him go on his back hand or quickly pivot, pass and give and go like Pleky does?

———————————————————-
    It’s P.K. Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime

23. HABitat4humanity says:

Habs in my opinion need to:

a) spend more time in the offensive zone
    b) crash the net
    c) Play Emelin
    d) Bang up Chara a little bit.

24. Tony McLean says:

Blunden doesn’t have to try and kill the fr33k but he does have to try and get him off his game, draw penalties. Canadiens, all of them, have to yap, hit, slash, go for FrankenChara’s wrists, ankles, the back of his knees, bump him – a thousand bee stings and the beast will go crazy.
    ——————————–
    “Bill 101 is garbage.” – Ted Tilden

25. shiram says:

It seems to me the Habs organization has made key changes in how it does business in the past 2 years, and changes that are subtle, but not necessarly ones I like.
    The management picked the captain, and while Gionta is said to be a good leader, I feel he got the job also because of his charisma. A guy like Gorges who will step up and talk to his team-mate might merit the C, but he is more clumsy in front of a camera.
    The change to the 3 stars as well, and the first one giving away pucks, little changes for sure, and they should not affect the team in wins/losses, but still it’s imposing something on the players, and they don’t always seem to have the heart to throw those pucks at the crowd.
    I’m not a long time fan, but I always heard the Habs were a classy organization, but firing Pearn 90 minutes before a game is not classy. Alot of reports of player not getting any info at the end of last season also.
    It’s maybe nothing, or of little importance, but I hope they try to make an effort and keep a good relation and communication with the players, it’s never a good thing to have a disconnect between the employee and the employers.

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

• Bripro says:

I agree with you regarding the three star selection.
      Fans are not exactly unbiased (no…really?), and having them pick the stars is a joke.
      At least when the journalists selected them, there was a chance that credit was given to those who deserve it. Now it’s a popularity contest.
      And as for the pucks, you’re right again shiram. They look out of place skating around tossing the pucks into the stands.

• RGM says:

Gorges is “clumsy in front of a camera”? Have you watched the majority of his interviews? He’s one of the more articulate guys in the room and doesn’t just spout out tired hockey player cliches. Some of his comments are the most insight you’ll ever get out of a guy in the room right after a game. It’s not just because he was the only guy within 300km (that played a part too) of Calgary that he was the Habs’ player rep at the Heritage Classic announcement.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!

@RGM your comments on Georges along with the fact he has a 1 yr. contract may be exactly why he isn’t the captain. Gionta is signed long term and follows all the old school hockey rules. Says the right cliches, faces the music etc… Don’t get me wrong I am a big fan of Gionta, but he is a very very SAFE choice for Captain.

• shiram says:

I would love Gorges as captain and agree that he can be great at talking hockey, but he does not have that wide appeal charisma that reaches beyond hockey fans. Gio does moreso than him.

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

• Bripro says:

No, but he’s very reachable. And seems very down-to-earth.

• shiram says:

Yup.
            The point I was trying to make is that the Org seems to be going in a new direction, and I hope they still strive to be a classy and respectful org towards their players.

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

26. mike3131 says:

I hope we didn’t waste all of our firepower and goal scoring ability last night. Like when we scored 8 goals vs. Minnesota last year and got shutout the next 3 games. I hope we won’t stink tonight like we did after the Winnipeg game.
    And the Flyers didn’t even have Pronger last night.

27. billylove says:

Weber’s goal was huge. Prior to his goal, I don’t think the Habs controlled the puck for more than ten seconds at any given time in the last half of the period. The boos were very noticeable. Perhaps that stretch was rock bottom and the goal ignited some spark. Firing Pearn didn’t hurt although I would have liked it to have been Martin. In any event, the team played with composure over the last two periods and Subban played within himself and looked good, ditto for Price, Cole, Max. Makes these next two much more interesting. Can we win two and finally turn this around? That would be very sweet.

• savethepuck says:

Weber’s goal at the end of the 1st did the exact same thing for the Habs that the Toronto shorthanded goal to begin the 2nd after being badly outplayed did for them, and the Buffalo goal when being badly ourtplayed at the end of the 2nd did for them. The Habs deserved 1 of those goals for a big momentum shift.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

28. Max_Hab_Fan says:

Just wondering who chooses the pictures for the headlines. Why not a picture of the Habs scoring on the Bruins? Trying a reverse jinx? Wanting to be positive after our first home victory.

29. M.Neil says:

Interested in seeing how BENOIT POULIOT fares out this evening.

30. ed lopaz says:

to Serious Fan ’09,

we will all get to see Bussieres play in that Russian Challenge (or whatever they are calling it these days).

also want to see Matt Bissonnette – who is a product of Montreal (west island) hockey, never drafted, and was always very, very talented as a young player around these parts.

he (or his parents??) had a few run ins with coaches etc, and maybe he could be an interesting free agent invitation??

what about the September 95 Nathan Mackinnon phenom who has been invited to the Russian Cup as well??

he is a 2013 draft eligible, but he is looking like a hell of a player already quarterbacking a Major Junior power play – EVEN THOUGH HE IS A FORWARD – having just turned 16 years old!!!

that privilege is usually reserved for 19 and 20 year olds of course.

finally, a quick word about our local boys Mathesson and Ciampini.

Both are fine young men, and the Habs would do well drafting either one of them if they get the chance.

• SeriousFan09 says:

The Super Series is the new name for it Ed.

I noticed Bisonnette in the top scoring ranks with Bathurst, but a bit leery about his age and it just being his second season in the Q. I’m sure MTL will take a look at him though, they tend to give the undrafted kids in the backyard a look as they look to finish their junior careers.

MacKinnon, MTL would have to be in the damn lottery in 2013, the kid is already a top 10-15 scorer in the QMJHL this season.

Will keep an eye out for Ciampini, but I can’t say I’ve even heard of Mathesson.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• ed lopaz says:

Mathesson was U18 Canada defenceman playing in Dubuque USHL this year., he is a legit 1st, 2nd or 3rd round prospect

your info on Bissonette is not correct.

He made the Q as a 16 year old and this is his 4th season.

• SeriousFan09 says:

My mistake, shouldn’t have relied on only the Q stats. For some reason they only give you stats on a player’s current and previous seasons, WHL gives you everything as does the OHL.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
          SF09 on Twitter

• ed lopaz says:

Bissonette is also a 6’4 200 lbs center – with excellent skills – forgot to mention that – my bad!!

I’m psyched for the Russian Challenge (or whatever!!).

I enjoy watching the junior players and then seeing them emerge as NHLers.

Love to see more College hockey on TV in Canada as well.

NCAA and Canadian College – but I guess NCAA would be more interesting because of the prospects for the NHL

• HalifaxHabs says:

Hey Ed & Serious… haven’t been posting much lately, but since I’ve seen every Moosehads home game thought I’d comment.

Nathan Mackinnon is such a freak. Turned 16 on September 1st, and looks like a 19/20 yr old out there. He’s already had a few 4 pt games. He is strong on the puck, and a gifted playmaker. He’s everything we could hope for(we being Canadian hockey fans). He will score his share of points in that series, and HE WILL be drafted 1st overall next year into the NHL, and likely make it as an 18yr old, which sucks for the Mooseheads, but they knew that was the likely outcome when they traded for him.

Ciampini has defintely made some strides this year. It helps that he has been stapled to Mackinnon all season, but that’s not to take away from him. He is big, and he has that gift of receiving a pass and putting the puck in the back of the net. His mobility and skating needs to improve a bit…. but my feeling on him is he has NHL size and talent, but he still has some physical maturing to do. And I don’t mean getting bigger, I just mean learning to get the most out of your body. (Hell, it took our boy Hal Gill into his 30’s before he learned how to get the most out of his body.) Ciampini will be probably be a late 1st or 2nd rounder in the NHL this year.

The question of the next 2 months is this… has MacKinnon done enough for Hockey Canada to wake up and invite him to the Christmas world junior camp????(even if he doesn’t make it, they need to get him out there)

• ed lopaz says:

Thanks Halifax.

I think Ciampini’s draft status was hurt a bit when he was cut at the U18.

I also think that those coaches made a mistake – but I wasn’t at the camp. :-)

Ciampini has always been battling his stride.

But he’s one of those guys that puts points on the board night after night.

What a great opportunity for Luca to play with Mackinnon!!

31. adamkennelly says:

the enthusiasm here is troublesome…Flyers played like complete crap last night – likely a result of the cake walk they thought they were in for after our 1st period…we did not play particularly well – still made a ton of mistakes that could and should have ended up in the back of our net….would be great to win this game but I think if we do, some of our guys get their asses kicked…Blunden stinks too by the way – if you are gonna have a big guy who can’t skate on the 4th line – he should at least be able to fight.

• Max_Hab_Fan says:

Missing White on the 4th line for sure. Can’t wait till he is back in the line up. Question is: What do we do with Gomez?

• LA Loyalist says:

Le Press Box.

More importantly, who do we fire to get our next win? The stick boy?

Congrats to the les boys for the win, but we need a split with Boston to save Jacques Martin’s job.

• ed lopaz says:

Although I would welcome Martin being canned, I believe he will now last past the weekend even if we are swept by Boston.

There are not too many (if any) EXCELLENT replacements available, and the Habs may have decided that canning an assistant was a good enough compromise.

Gauthier believes in Martin (as does Gainey).

Because Gauthier is an arrogant prick who also doesn’t believe that communicating with your workers is a requirement to lead.

just me blowing a little steam! :

• Jordio-oh says:

What is wrong with expressing enthusiasm after a win? If the Habs will constantly struggle this season because we’re too small as you’ve suggested, then it’s important to enjoy the wins, otherwise, what is the point?

I don’t know what game you were watching. Blunden only played just over 6 minutes and he had 5 hits (most on our team) and was particularly effective on a few shifts keeping the puck deep in the Flyers zone.

He did exactly what he was supposed to. We win 5-1 and you’re picking on the guy who played the least minutes?

Give me a break. What a joke.

• savethepuck says:

But a tough gritty good old Canadian boy is not a good old Canadian boy according to him unless he can kick the $#it out of somebody. His priorities are different than some others.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• Tony McLean says:

He and Nokelainen really impressed. Looking forward to see if Blunden knows how to get under Chara’s skin.
        ——————————–
        “Bill 101 is garbage.” – Ted Tilden

• adamkennelly says:

its juvenile to get overly excited about things….I wasn’t picking on Blunden – annoyed that this GM and coach go get a tall guy for the 4th line and think it addresses our need…some clown who supposedly had 5 hits and was supposedly effective in keeping the puck in the Flyers zone..pretty sure I still saw Jody Shelley smacking Pleks around in front of our net…. 1 win over a team that played prolly worse than any game we have played all season is not something to be excited about….this team needs to fix what ails them..too small, no grit, lack of passion and a coach the game has passed by….

• Jordio-oh says:

1) I never said “overly excited”. I simply stated its ok to be happy. If the cup is the one and only way to be happy, be prepared to be consistently upset. Gotta find the little joys of being a fan.

2) he didn’t supposedly get 5 hits. He did, its a statistical fact.

3) Winnipeg played far worse than Philly.

4) Jody Shelley is an inconsequential hack. And there’s no way to argue otherwise.

5) You’re off your rocker in 90% of your posts. I did the math, another statistical fact, :)

32. The Big O says:

Diaz has been a turnover machine and then is out of position chasing his mistakes, which leads to someone fishing the puck out of the net (3 games in a row now)…I think the Buffons, sorry Bruins will exploit that! Still can’t understand why Martin would dress the exact same defenseman (Weber and Diaz) when someone like Emelin is available against teams like Philly and the Bruins…just sayin….

• kempie says:

It’s often almost impossible to tell those two apart. Same size, both right hand shots, both offensively-minded with good shots. If it was up to me, I’d pick the one you like the most at the moment (Weber for me) and insert Emelin hoping he’ll bring another dimension that is badly needed, tonight especially. It doesn’t make sense to me to have two Webers in the lineup on the same night.

33. Gerry H says:

More of the same tonight, especially from Eric Cole, MaxPac and our suddenly competent D, and this team will have its first winning streak to build on.

34. HabFanSince72 says:

Idle question of the day. Can anyone think of anything in the world that has not been sullied, lessened, or cheapened by the Bruins winning the Stanley Cup?

Because I can’t.

Say we win the cup – doesn’t mean as much – the Bruins won it.

Say the Bruins don’t make the playoffs and Julien is fired. Again – so what? His Bruins won the cup, and will have done so forever and ever.

The operas of Mozart? The sunrise from Machu Pichu? The laughter of a child? The unstoppable rise of Democracy in the Arab world? All exist in a world where Zdeno Chara hoisted the Stanley Cup.

• Bripro says:

…and Ryder re-shaped it.

• tbovs says:

Same with Phil Esposito, Don cherry and all the other bums from the 70’s (save bobby orr). It never means anything different but if we win it will be cooler than boston winning.

• habsfan reduxit says:

… could have been worse. Could have been Philthy (and their subhuman fans); could have been Pittsburgh (and their satanic ownership); could have been Calgary or Edmonton (Alberta! – ’nuff said); could have been Dallas (Texas! – ’nuff said again); could have been the Rangers (and their sense of entitlement)

… all in all, Boston with their blue collar attitudes and matching players ain’t all that bad.

“Whenever you have the puck, and don’t know what to do with it, put it in the net.” – Toe Blake

• OneTimer says:

that’s true ’72, but I still cling onto the hope that the Habs win the cup the year immediately after the Bruins, which would have a poetic sense of justice to it, and all would be right with the world again

• avatar_58 says:

I’m amused at how quickly it wore off. No one but bruins fans really care or reference it. No merchendise, nothing. It’s like they didn’t even win. I thought they were popular? Apparently not.

If the habs win again it will be ALL you hear about for the next 5 years. Same with the leafs, sens, jets, whoever else. If the canucks won it…wow. Country wide parade.

The b’s? No one gives a shit. Why is that?

• Tony McLean says:

Not as bad as Philthydelphia 73-75.
      ——————————–
      “Bill 101 is garbage.” – Ted Tilden

• LA Loyalist says:

“The unstoppable rise of Democracy in the Arab world?”

I trust you are being facetious. The Libyans have already announced their intention to impose Sharia law (and we’re about to release about $50B in frozen assets to them).

Egypt is in turmoil, Syria is about to implode and Iran will be trying to undermine the delicate situation in Iraq, with or without a nuclear weapon. Afghanistan is an extremely fragile and difficult situation, the scary monster in the closet that no one wants to talk about is Pakistan.

… I do have some hope for Tunisia :-) but it would have been nice if Obama had provided some encouragement for the students and professional class in Iran in their protests against their lunatic regime – at least as much as he has for the Occupy Wall Street bums.

• RGM says:

This is absolutely the best post of the day.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!

35. King Kong Bundy jr. says:

My number one concern is the kids in Hal Gill’s daycare turning the puck over from an agressive Boston forecheck. Say what you will about bad bounces this year but our unforced errors have been far more egregious.

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of the women.
    -Conan

36. shiram says:

Great team win last night, some have not played as well as they could, but overall the effort was there.
    Good news on the Markov front as well, back on the ice starting next week, knee is sound etc…
    Could the winds be changing, I sure hope so!

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

37. DearyLeary says:

What’s Vegas saying on who Boston is going to try to kill tonight?

38. DEANDALLEY says:

If we crash Mr. Floppy’s net tonight Bigfoot will try to take our heads off again!

When Max scores a couple tonight he better not disturb the Bigfoot!

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

39. joeybarrie says:

Fingers crossed, we win tonight…… Then we have a better record than Boston. Why isnt anyone worried as much in Boston that they wont make the Playoffs??? Why isnt anyone calling for Chiarelli”s head or to fire Julien?
    Why am I reading an article from the Boston Herald saying the Habs are in FAR WORSE SHAPE than the Bruins???
    They are one win ahead of us and tied in points…. They don’t have major injuries to their best player and then some…

I dont know. Just cant wait till 7pm. Hoping MaxPac gets his first hat trick tonight.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• shiram says:

Maybe bias, and it shows up on both sides I’d say.

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

• Taipei 101 says:

Uh, that’s called Cup Hangover. You can lose a few in October and not PANIC when you hoisted the Cup in June.

Just sayin…

“Music is the best.”
      – Frank Zappa

• savethepuck says:

Everything I’m reading is just chalking it up to a Stanley Cup hangover and I don’t think their City over reacts to things as much as our media and fans. I hope they continue to slump for another month.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• avatar_58 says:

You serious? They won the cup. As a fan I wouldn’t care about success for the next 2-3 years. Anyone that said “lol your team sucks” would be greeted with my stanley cup shirts, hats, jersey patches, etc.

The bruins players may care, but management and fans couldn’t give 2 shits after they win

BTW, are Tony LaRussa’s botched calls to the bullpen on a par with Montreal’s three ‘too many men on the ice’ hiccups?

41. J_P says:

If there’s one thing I learnt from last night’s game, it’s that Perry Pearn is entirely to blame for our losing streak. All kidding aside, a few observations from last night.

…Carey played a really solid game last night. He benfitted from a couple of lucky bounces early on, but really played solid the rest of the game.

…Good all around defensive effort by the habs.

…Net presence! Someone finally hammered it into the players head that they have to crash the net, play aggressively, and attack. They did it all night last night, and the results speak for themselves.

…Max Paccioretty. What is there really to say? Kid’s a stud, and has wolverine blood (rhyme totally unintended). From game-time decision to first star, not too shabby at all.

…Eric Cole has really picked it up. He’s played outstanding the last two games, and he’s given the habs exactly what I was hoping he would bring to the table when acquired.

One game at a time. One win at a time. Huge opportunity to make a statement tonight against the bruins. GO HABS GO!

• savethepuck says:

Carey finally got a few bounces last night as opposed to the bad bounces he’s been getting early in games on some of his early starts in the forms of screens, deflections, untimely defensive hiccups, etc… I think last night’s game will go a long way in rebuilding his confidence( not that i think he’s had more than 1 or 2 bad games).
      Was definitely impressed with Max, he’s a warrior who hasn’t missed the time expected after any of his last 3 injuries. Wiz puck in the ribs, supposed to be out 2 to 3 weeks, doesn’t miss a game. Chara nearly kills him, possible career ender, and he says he could of played if we got by Boston last spring. Ligament damage in his wrist, supposed to definitely miss Phi and b2b with Boston, doesn’t miss a game. I’ve got a lot of respect for this guy.
      Was very impressed with Cole’s speed last night drawing 2 interference calls in the 1st. His minutes should increase, I think I heard in the last couple of weeks that JM didn’t like how he plays without the puck, and I hope that’s changing.
      Boys did a great job last night getting to the net.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Tony McLean says:

He didn’t have much work and as a consequence he was cool. Maybe he can build on it. They saved him rather than him stealing one. It’s all good.
        ——————————–
        “Bill 101 is garbage.” – Ted Tilden

• tbovs says:

u know that there hasn’t been a wolverine in Michigan in over 200 yrs in the wild. All them crazy americans with the guns and no jobs in michigan scared em….that is a joke btw…im a MU grad…premed. Med school in TO

• bleedhabs81 says:

Pre Med

I hate that term. If I had a dollar for every “Pre Med” student who told me they were “Pre-Med” and then never came close to med school, I would be rich.

Pre Med is just a fancy way of saying Science Student. Like Pre Law is just a fancy way of saying Art Student that has a few law classes. Actually, I hate Pre-Law more.

Sorry, I just knew people who used those terms to make themselves look smarter…. and to get chicks.

However, since your in Med School now, I guess I can accept that you were a “Pre-Med” student. :)

I get the notion of sticking with a “winning” lineup.

However, Emelin was brought over here for a reason. He needs to play in these two games no matter how green he is. He’s certainly no less experienced than Diaz (who has been decent).

JT’s best line of the night:

“So, Perry Pearn’s gone. I guess if your right arm is gangrenous, the first thing you do is cut off your right hand.”

44. G-Man says:

I second that.

45. avatar_58 says:

I disagree good sir.

Wait…no, what was the arguement again?

46. Propwash says:

Who said that?
    Did you see Price drill Cole during the 3 star announcement?

_____________________
    Dooooooooooooooomed!™

47. OneTimer says:

this is how dumb rumors start.

48. avatar_58 says:

You mean the two d-men not doing their jobs very well? Those two? I don’t want to hear from Gorges until he starts pulling his weight. Gill also needs to step up and hit more like he did against philly.

49. pmaraw says:

thats philly’s fault tho. markov is as much of a game changer as pronger is, which was my point.

50. pmaraw says:

wait what? its montreals fault that they have depth on d and can survive without their star defenceman? im not sure where you’re trying to go with this.

51. HabsFan1111 says:

Pronger took the Oilers to the finals, then won the Cup with the Ducks the next year if I’m not mistaken … Markov was injured during our best run since 93. Nothing against Markov, but I’d take Pronger.

52. RGM says:

Yeah what a loser, only chipped in 2 assists.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!