Game 1 of Habs vs. Rangers Saturday afternoon at Bell Centre

Bring on the Rangers!

After beating the Bruins in Game 7 Wednesday night in Boston, the Canadiens will face the New York Rangers in the Eastern Conference final series with Game 1 set for Saturday afternoon at the Bell Centre (1 p.m., CBC, NBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

It marks the first time the Canadiens have advanced to the conference final since 2010, when they were eliminated by the Philadelphia Flyers.

“Especially for the guys that have been here and were there in that run in 2010 and who were there when we lost Game 7 (to Boston in the 2011 conference quarterfinals), we’re just sick and tired of it,” Canadiens defenceman P.K. Subban told reporters in Boston after Game 7. “Sick and tired of people disrespecting us and not giving us the credit that we deserve. We’re a good group of guys in here. We’re a character group and I think we earned a lot of respect (Wednesday).”

Added coach Michel Therrien: “To be able to do that accomplishment, to beat the Boston Bruins in Game 7 in their building, I believe those guys have earned some respect. The respect, you’ve got to earn it, and I thought (Wednesday night), those guys earned it.”

The Canadiens were given the day off Thursday and will practise Friday in Brossard.

(Photo by Elise Amendola/The Associated Press)

(Videos by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell)

Habs advance to Eastern Conference final, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Habs spank archrival Bruins in Game 7, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Gritty Habs refused to be pushed around, by Jack Todd for The Gazette

Canadiens match Bruins hit for hit, by Pat Hickey

What did Lucic say to Weise? (video), montrealgazette.com

Aislin’s take on Habs win, montrealgazette.com

Silencing the critics, Canadiens.com

Habs finally earn the respect they deserve, sportsnet.ca

Canadiens win Game 7, will face Rangers, NHL.com

Bruins pay for inability to adapt, NHL.com

Subban plants kiss on Pierre McGuire, NHL.com

Rangers to meet Canadiens, newyorkrangers.com

Canadiens seal upset, Sports Illustrated

Playoff hero Briere strikes again, The Hockey News

Bruins lament what could have been, bostonbruins.com

What went wrong with Bruins? Boston Globe

Back to the drawing board for Bruins, Boston Herald

I don’t believe in the Hockey Gods but if I did I’d be down at the temple now offering up a sacrifice for a Habs-Hawks SC Final.

That series would be great for hockey. Exciting. Fast. Gritty. North-South. End to end. One for the ages.

Therefore I will put my faith in inevitable outcomes, that… and that the NHL brass must certainly be licking their chops at the prospect of the marketing bonanza such a series would be.

2. Hobie says:

Imagine we made it to the finals lol!

This is the probable NYR line-up the Habs will face on Saturday. Interesting to compare it to Montreal’s line-up based on the assumption it will be the same as Game 7.

Kreider – Stepan – Nash

Pouliot – Brassard – Zuccarello

Hagelin – Richards – St. Louis

Boyle – Moore – Dorsett

McDonagh – Girardi

Staal – Stralman

J.Moore – Klein

Lindqvist

24.6 Cups

4. Mr_MacDougall says:

Habs 19-6-1 in their last 26.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Note: a bad bounce in game 4 and a “meltdown” in game 2 prevented Habs from winning 6/7 against the Big Bad Bruins.

• Chris says:

11 Boston posts prevented some different scorelines too. :)

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Of those posts, 6 were deflected CP! And 3 just grazed him ;) playing the net my man!

But hey, what’s the old saying, you create your own luck..

The Hans missed some key opportunities as well!

• Chris says:

No question…but for once, Lady Luck was wearing her Habs jersey. So many times, those shots deflect into the net, instead of away.

I’m not complaining…but the “lucky bounce” think always gets me because those happen all over the place for both teams.

I prefer that you have to be lucky to be good, and good to be lucky. Montreal were very good in that series, and they deserved their luck.

• johnnylarue says:

Talk about your proverbial “peaking at the right time”, eh?

5. Puck Bard says:

Any chatter from the “Old Guard” about the series win? Dryden? Savard? The Roadrunner?

6. ffenliv says:

Regarding the Lucic post-game debacle. The stuff in the handshake line was pretty low in my estimation, but the comments in the dressing room … I’m less clear on that myself.

I’ve never felt losing-team locker rooms should be accessible to the media in the wake of an elimination game. Hockey is a tough and very emotionally-driven sport. To ask people to speak eloquently after that is ridiculous. In that situation, you either get what Iginla gave them, which was a sombre ‘we lost’, and sometimes guys, as with Lucic, are gonna spout off. They’re not approaching that moment from a balanced place. Their emotions are all out of whack.

Frankly, I think it’s a bit low of the media to go in there like that. They’re all praying someone says something stupid so they can call him out for saying it.

• Cal says:

Lucic sounded like a ten year old little boy as he was interviewed in the locker room last night. It was shameful.
      The media is just doing its job. Lucic’s performance, on and off the ice, was a disgrace.

• Hobie says:

I didn’t mind what Lucic did in the handshake line. He’s a tough guy, he’s ultra competitive and his anger just goes to show how upset he was and how huge of a win it was for the Habs.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Hmmm what do you think of Chara taking an extra moment to congratulate Gallagher? Was that cowardly? Should he have threatened him?

This Lucic roid rage has gone too far, he violently shook everyone’s hand.. Chirped Prust, threatened Weiss, and threatened Emelin.. So you’re okay with Todd Bertuzzi’s threats prior to the Steve Moore incident?

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

Really Hobie? I can’t go there, heck even in my present day Beer League Slo-Pitch, we get very very competitive with yelling during the games etc… in playoffs.

But after it’s over, when it is hand shake time, never let that anger stop me from being respectful in shaking hands win or lose. We are taught that since we are kids.

I don’t give that moron one ounce of latitude on his useless ability to control his emotions.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I have to miss Saturdays game because of co-ed slopitch tourney.. But, on the bright side, we’ve added three young girls from our Canada Games team.. ringers!

• Hobie says:

I would have rather seen Lucic and Prust shake hands, maybe share a laugh and a quick hug for sure. I’m just saying what he did wasn’t that big of a deal.

Beauty of this place is we all have our opinions, I just can’t imagine threatening someone while shaking their hand after winning or losing a playoff game. No matter what the level of competition.

• Hobie says:

We were just told by ex players and analysts on television that when Duncan Keith said “wakey wakey” after an injured player was struggling to get to his feet that it was pretty much a normal thing. So when someone gets a bit aggressive shaking hands after a game where they’re trying to kill each other, I don’t see it as a major thing.

• twilighthours says:

I agree about the media in the room after the game.

The handshake lineup episode is inexcusable and totally in contrast to the spirit of the game. Lucic is an embarrassment.

• Chris says:

The sad thing is that he has been an embarrassment for years, but the media rarely call him on it. For an allegedly tough player, he and Corey Perry are vying with one another for the league lead in most punches to the head of a player already engaged with another opponent.

I’ve never understood how he gets away with it so often. Perry is rightfully recognized as a sleazy hockey player, routinely being cited as somebody the rest of the players in the league detest. I don’t understand why Lucic doesn’t get more publicity for his dirty play.

7. twilighthours says:

@Johnny Larue

I bet you had some fun finding a suitable image of a bad haircut.

This is my favourite so far:

• johnnylarue says:

Oh man, that is nasty. The crudeness really sells it.

Yeah, there were some pretty choice 70s comb-overs to choose from, but I decided to settle on something a little more contemporary… kind of a “Metro Mongol” theme.

8. boonie says:

When I was an HIO neophyte, Hard Habits was the most vocal commentator. He advocated tanking. The alternative was make the playoffs and ride a hot goalie.

In the glow of the rose-colored lights of Greater Kumbaya everybody is right.

We bottomed out enough to force a regime change. We’re riding a hot goalie to playoff wins over teams that finished ahead of us in the regular season.

Now, as we face the Rangers coached by a former Hab, having beaten our favorite rival coached by a former Hab, just tell me this, wouldn’t it have been cool if Guy Boucher had still coached Tampa so we could have had the ex-Habs management Trifecta? If Hab lineage holds, we should face the Stan Bowman-led Blackhawks for an original six Cup.

Can I get a hell yeah!!!!

9. sims says:

man i thought i was unproductive yesterday at work. I cant get enough of rewatching all the bruins baloney

if im commish (im not) i make sure marchand gets a fine

10. Flanelette says:

Maybe P.Bergeron has had it playing with stupid goons. Would fit perfect in wit the Habs if we can somehow decontaminate him.

Also believe the Bruins should get rid of Lucic and Marchand: they are not top six in any way and their behaviour must be a bummer for regular players

Canadiens Express is on… I think I’ll watch :)

12. CH Marshall says:

So where does Iggy go now? Will anyone take him?

13. Un Canadien errant says:

Matt Sekeres of TEAM 1040 makes the point that right behind Milan Lucic in the handshake line was Jarome Iginla, who was known as one of the most intense but honourable competitors when he was a Flame. He referenced the fact that Jarome brought all the Flames out of the dressing room to shake hands with Trevor Linden on his retirement night. He wondered how embarrassed Jarome must have been.

Dave Pratt brought up that it’s too many incidents for Milan, it’s not isolated instances, it’s becoming a trend. There was the Granville Street brawl, the Alexei Emelin ‘chicken’ rant, the Danny DeKeyser stick job, and now this.

‘Bro’ Jake says that he knows Milan, has hung out with him, and “he’s a good kid”, so he doesn’t understand what’s going on.

Matt Sekeres (a transplanted Montrealer), finishes off by saying that Milan Lucic was not shaking hands as a man, but like a spoiled brat.

So even though he’s a Vancouver native, Milan is getting a rough ride from the hometown media.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

14. keithmacv says:

You’re right Gumper, tough to sit Prust, he’s a leader. Weise has been playing very well and has good chemistry with Briere who is a ppg player in the playoffs. I guess it will come down to Galchenyuk or Bournival….I’d have to go with Galchenyuk’s skill over Bournival’s at the end of the day.

15. ffenliv says:

Just watched the highlights on TSN. I’m pretty sure MB ruined his suit, hugging that many sweaty hockey players. And he wears pretty snazzy suits.

16. Un Canadien errant says:

Weird how when P.K. Subban scores an emotional overtime goal in a divisional game, and he tugs at the crest on his jersey, he gets pilloried for showboating and acting like a diva wide receiver. When Milan Lucic pounds his chest after an easy tap-in empty-netter, pounds his chest like a silverback, and jumps into the glass like he’s scored a Game 7 OT goal, that’s kosher, because he’s referencing Boston Strong. It’s not that he’s a hypocritical self-absorbed jerk, he’s proud of his city.

I remember Don Cherry, in his efforts to seem even-handed, used to laud Mike Cammalleri when he’d score one of his patented knee-down one-timers. He’d tell the kids to follow Mike’s example, show restraint, act like you’ve scored a goal before. But when Milan acts like White Goodman (google it), it’s not because he’s a classless douche, it’s because he’s emotional. Darren Dreger also gave him a pass, downplayed the issue, saying he’s a “fiery competitor”, and the series had a lot of anger and intensity, so that’s that.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• twilighthours says:

Word.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I think it has a lot to do,with PED abuse, the amount of rage in this mans face is abnormal. Even in the post game interview.

• Chris says:

Man…you guys would not like my face after hard-fought games where my team has lost, and I’ve never even thought of taking a PED in my life.

I’m not saying that he has or hasn’t…but you can’t glean anything from these interview snippets. Some people are simply fiery personalities with horrible tempers. When there is a simple solution, it is often a good idea to just take that one.

I think it is fair to say that Milan Lucic has a pretty bad temper and has a very fiery personality. His interview after the game strikes me as nothing more than that…the by-product of losing a series you were sure you were going to win (he certainly didn’t respect the Canadiens’ talent or ability to win the series going in) and having your own antics thrown in your face.

Ron Hextall had that personality, as did Billy Smith. Mark Messier had it. Mario Lemieux had it, although with a much longer fuse than most to go along with far more talent. Chris Chelios had it, as did Jeremy Roenick. Dale Hunter, Ted Lindsay, John Ferguson, Aurel Joliat….history is littered with players, great and mediocre, who had temper issues.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Horrible temper is a cop out to those that lack the self respect to gain control of themselves. I had a “bad temper” when I was a child, I’ve grown up and realized it is not a genetic trait but a learned behaviour. If you have a “bad temper” it’s on you and your inability to take responsibility for your own behaviour.

Amen!

• Chris says:

Correct.

My point was that there is an easier explanation than libeling somebody with accusations of illegal drug use.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

True. I should have thought about that before I posted it. It’s completely presumptuous on my part, and most likely wrong. When emotions run high, often times they can spiral out of control. Now I feel regret for posting that.

My bad.

• Timo says:

Dragger standing between Biron and Reshau (sp?) always has this look on this face “I wish I were taller. I wish I were taller”.

• B says:

Speaking of Cherry, I was shaking my head during coach’s corner last night when near the end of it they actually ran a clip of Chara injuring Pacioretty while Cherry said “watch this, this was a beauty”. Dipstick.

–Go Habs Go!–

Yes Ryan Rishaug and Dreger gave him the free pass because he was angry and rightfully so. So useless is Dregers analysis.

• JohnBellyful says:

I don’t understand this Boston Strong stuff as it relates to a hockey game. Don’t get the connection at all.
      How does pounding one’s chest after a goal relate to people getting killed by a terrorist act and a city showing its defiance, saying it will never give in to evil?
      If a statement has to be made at an athletic event — and why not a concert, at art showing, a book reading? — as a tribute to the victims and as a testament to the resiliency of the city why not at the start of the game, with fans pounding their chests proclaiming a game will be played no matter what forces are out there that want to do them and their way of life harm?
      And the act was intended to be a symbolic blow to the United States, not just to the city in which it took place, so why didn’t Lucic break out with a verse or two of the national anthem?
      I think Lucic and the Bruins were just trying to cover themselves in glory by the easiest means possible, without having to go to the bother of behaving in a way that actually would bring them glory.

17. Sportfan says:

Moen has bad luck the Habs have won a bunch of games without him in the lineup and I mean a really good record, I forget what it its, but it was really strange.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

18. Sportfan says:

Anyone else want to laugh in Lucic face for every time he calls someone a baby or classless?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

19. HairyHabist says:

Rangers may set up well for the Habs, but they still have to do it on the ice.

The first bit of negativity is the 1pm NBC start. Which the Rangers are used to and the Habs aren’t.

Hopefully Habs can use home ice to overcome it.

20. gumper says:

So, yesterday morning I get an email from my little brother. Seems he’s headed to Parry Sound this weekend to open the cottage and wanted to know if the satellite service had been turned on yet. “Looking forward to watching some Rags/Habs hockey on the weekend.” Tom always knows when they’re going to win. However, it didn’t keep my heart from racing throughout the game last night. Victories don’t come much sweeter than that one.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
    Mark Twain

21. keithmacv says:

I see a little bit about where or if Galchenyuk should be inserted into the lineup upon his return. Folks this shouldn’t even be an issue of if. The kid has hands for days and if it were him getting the gorgeous Vanek setups that Bournival has been getting, I’m betting Galchenyuk would have buried a few of them. Nothing against Bournival, he’s played solid. So if I’m the coach, I sit Moen and put Bournival in his spot. Play 27 with 20 and 14, keep 51, 67, and 11 together as well as 81, 17 and 21….this upcoming series against the rangers, the Habs will not have to be nearly as physical in fighting for room. Both teams are fast and skilled so it will be very entertaining. Thoughts? Am I making any sense?

22. DeadEnd says:

Random thoughts and musings:

- I have disliked (because hate is a strong word, as my kids like to point out to me) the Bruins for about 30 years. Found it difficult to cheer for a guy like Andy Moog when he became a Hab. That being said, I think I can say that I at least respect Rask after this series. He owned up to playing bad, gave the Canadiens credit, wouldn’t get sucked into any whining about the officiating (see comments re: PK and the dislodged net), and seemed to have had some encouraging words for Price in the handshake line. Maybe he can get traded so I can upgrade “respect” to at least “appreciate.”

- I honestly believe that the Bruins organization has to think about getting Lucic some help. I have the sinking suspicion that this guy has some issues that need to be dealt with. Besides his antics on the ice and that nonsense in the line after the game, every time I see this guy in an interview he seems like he’s out of touch with reality. This is a young man – only 25, but been in the league 7 seasons already – with a lot of life left to live. As much as I loathe him as a player, there may be more to consider here.

- Any and all comments made by me in the past in referring to anyone on the Habs as a smurf have been made entirely in jest.

- Bourque had a bad series after an incredible first round. I’d like to think that, with the Rangers being more comparable to Tampa than Boston, he bounces back. If not, I hope Chucky’s ready soon.

- If I see Gionta go to his backhand one more time, I may scream. Unless he scores, then I’ll scream louder.

- Last but not least, this season has already been an incredible success. These guys should be proud no matter how it ends. Of course, it will end with them hoisting the cup, but I thought I would throw that line in there anyway.

That is all for now. Let the discussion commence.

23. johnnylarue says:

I think every one of my thoughts on this business has already been covered by the rest of you–which is to say that we are inching ever closer to becoming a Human Centibrain, as per Boone’s diabolical plan.

That said, summed up:

- A Stanley Cup win cannot/will not feel any better than last night’s victory. That’s simply not possible. I will appreciate any further successes as great technical achievements, but what we got last night was the Euphoria of Victory in its purest form. Drink it up, folks.

- A shout out to my man “El Cheecho” for reassuring the world that our deep-seated hatred for the Bruins is actually well-founded… although I’ve admittedly felt some of that hatred turning to pity upon realizing the extent of his emotional stuntedness. His actions belie his age, painting the rather sad portrait of a spoiled, self-entitled little boy trapped in the hulking body of a mature, elite-level athlete. Dude has issues.

- I sincerely hope Brière has built up enough good will with you all to see him through another slightly underwhelming regular season. That’s certainly the case with me. As advertised, Danny brings it when it matters most. Worth. Every. Cent.

- And most importantly, Habs are undefeated in the johnnylarue® Lucky Haircut Era.

“The LaRue ‘Doo® will not be undone!” as the saying goes.

• BJ says:

A little cosmetic surgery on the ears and you’ll look like an oriental Spock.

• Mondou6 says:

Based on the result of Game 7, I just scheduled you for another haircut Saturday at 1:00. :)

• twilighthours says:

That is a bad lid.

• JUST ME says:

Totally agree with you . I got my Stanley cup and anything from now on is a bonus. F***ing mission accomplished ! Of course i want the cup but for moi this is heaven right now. Have not been this happy and proud for decades .

Briere with that goal yesterday and the money Molson will make with at least two more games at the Bell center makes it all worth while. Another brilliant Bergevin move !

Could you add a «R» beside the LaRue Doo haircut just to be sure that we are made aware if it spreads ?

• CH Marshall says:

Your haircut more than makes up for missing Game 7! You need to keep it that way for the rest of the way!

• johnnylarue says:

Thanks, Marshall. I didn’t want to make a big deal of this–I’m a pretty humble guy, after all–but I actually asked the hairdresser to skip the wash and scalp massage so I could get back to the game sooner.

Sure, blocking a shot with your face counts for something, but sacrificing a scalp massage from a beautiful woman to support your team? “That’s just huge,” I tell myself.

24. Hobie says:

For the last three or four years, when looking at the schedule, standings or when browsing hockey videos on youtube, I just felt completely frustrated by the Boston Bruins.

The Bruins are bigger, tougher and they WERE just plain better than us. To top it off, the Bruins, their fans and their media had no problems in letting us all know about. My blood would boil when I’d think about guys like Chara, Lucic and Thornton having the last laugh over us all the time.

We’ve had some recent regular season success against them but that doesn’t mean squat.

We’re all diehard fans around here so I shouldn’t feel too embarrassed saying that beating the Bruins in the playoffs last night was a hockey life changing moment. I screamed “F*&K YEAH” out loud about 50 times last night after the final whistle blew.

We finally got the Bruins off our backs and it felt amazing!!!

I don’t know about the rest of you but I suspect I am not alone… I am thoroughly basking in the afterglow of schadenfreude.<expletive deleted> I hate the Bruins. Seriously. Not as much as the Flyers but that is only because of Bobby Clarke. As his significance to the Flyers organization wanes so does my loathing for them diminish. But Boston. They always seem capable of ramping up the douchebaggery to the next level. Watching a smaller, faster, classier Habs team out-grit the Big, Bad Bruins in a 7th game especially on their ice is the back-bone experience of Habsdom. In Valhalla it’s the Bruins-Canadiens on every channel at every hour all the time.

This team reminds me more of the 70′s teams than the Patrick Roy era team. It still feels like ’93.

• Cal says:

2014 Habs are channeling the 1971 Habs.
      Me, I hate the Bruins above and beyond all others.
      Sure, I felt gratified when the Habs destroyed Flyers hockey (for almost 40 years now). Killing off the last vestiges of that 2011 Abomination means so much more.

• JUST ME says:

I was just about to write how completely satisfied i am that this defeat really hurts the Bruins real real bad. They have been humiliated and beaten in every aspect of the game and left to dry by the NHL that finally refused to play their game.

I am not surprized that they are sore loser but it just reminds me that it hurts real bad.

This is a big moment in our modern history and the 28 other team as well as the NHL itself are behind us 100 % without of course admitting it.

Man that feels good !

• punkster says:

Just an awesome performance.

Release the Subbang!!!

• CH Marshall says:

” In Valhalla it’s the Bruins-Canadiens on every channel at every hour all the time.”

I like to think of Wotan as a die hard Hab fan

So… Is Galchenyuk ready to draw back in the lineup? And is there any update on Bourque? Did he play after getting hit by Eller’s shot? Decisions, decisions. What about Beualieu… I think the kid should stay but is it sustainable to have your 4 dman play over 25 mins per game… or will Therrien give him a bit more duty?

Will leafs trade the Princess to Habs for Bouillon and will Therrien make him a better person?

The day we traded for Weaver.

TimoMARCH 5, 2014 AT 1:28 AM
      Marc Bergevin, The Ghost, Robert Gainey, Savard, Peanut… man, they all the same – none of them took this team anywhere near being a contender.

• Habfan10912 says:

Oh boy. Timo might have been a tad off that post. :)

• BJ says:

Nah! Timo is actually and optimist he’s just camouflaging.

• Timo says:

I can’t find it but I distinctly remember Burlington saying “Wow. What a great pick up. Weise is going to be an integral piece in this year’s stanley cup run.” Gotta hand it to him. The man’s got vision.

Feel free to look back Timo, I was quite happy with the moves. Sorry to disappoint you.

• Timo says:

Unlike you I don’t make it a point to stick someone’s nose into what they said or didn’t say. I am just savoring and enjoying the after math of the victory today and don’t care for any personal sh!t some people may or may not have with me.

27. Colombiahabs says:

Another great idea.. pull Bourque from the line up in favor of Galchenyuck… wow please keep these guys away from the team. Not against Galchenyuck playing but no way they pull our top power forward of the playoffs

28. Thomas Le Fan says:

If the Bruins lost to us in ’71 because of too many men on the ice, this time they lost because of not enough “men” on the ice.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

29. scavanau says:

Who’s the genius behind the Brad Marchand urinal targets?

Why can’t I post a link to an older date on HI/O. I found the thread from the day we acquired Weaver, some interesting comments.

Won’t let me post the link though.

• Chrisadiens says:

Oh man, you have to email it to me. I would LOVE to read the comments.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• shiram says:

I’ll say it here, I was not too thrilled with his acquisition, thought he’d only be a depth guy.
      I was wrong.

• Chris says:

Do we REALLY want to play that game?

Every single person on this website, myself included, has posted some howlers over the years. Let’s not get into that crap.

• twilighthours says:

That’s what makes it so much fun! We all get to laugh at ourselves.

Remember: I liked the Gomez pickup and would have canned Therrien in December.

Now Gomez is playing Senior B and Therrien looks like a genius.

• Chrisadiens says:

I thought Halak was the better goalie and Patches wasn’t going to be a top 6 forward.

We all make stupid claims, like Twi said, you have to laugh at yourselves. Have some humility and accept when you’re wrong sometimes.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Chris says:

Sure, if we’re posting our own howlers. But that isn’t how it is going to roll. :)

For the record, I found the Weaver pick-up a bit weird because he is another defenceman with limited offensive ability, joining Tinordi, Murray, Bouillon, Gorges, Emelin and (to a lesser extent) Bouillon. My concern then, and heading into Game 6, is that Weaver didn’t address the biggest weakness, no second-wave PP defencemen.

With Beaulieu in the line-up and Weaver partnering him, I’m happy with the trade today. I wasn’t sure that Therrien had it in him to pass over veterans and insert a rookie.

Weaver has been awesome, and Therrien has been even better. I was against the Therrien hiring, and wasn’t crazy with his personnel management over the past couple of seasons, but he has done a pretty outstanding job since the Olympic break, and the players don’t seem to be showing any sign of tuning him out.

31. Mondou6 says:

I, for one, cannot wait to hear JohnnyLarue’s haircut story. Or whether Frontenac’s liver survived the night.

I need answers to these important questions!! :)

32. Colombiahabs says:

So all of you who bashed Price and Briere, Subban, Eller and Rene all year can you finally shut up?

• shiram says:

While some of the critics were over the top, it is fair to say some of those players warranted criticism for the regular season play.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Well, I only bashed Therrien but I have to say, that proof being in the pudding, he’s a frigging genius and I’m not. :D

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

33. BJ says:

Jack Edwards twitter:
    Jack Edwards ‏@RealJackEdwards 14h
    #Habs owned space in front of both goals. Deserved to win series. Bon chance Montreal. Long live the Rivalry. Seeya next season.
    He needs a French spelling lesson, but good on him for wishing us luck.

I take it all the Therrien hatred on Hab websites has abated for now. I also assume that Guy Boucher will not be the Hab coach next season.

Just checking.

24.6 Cups

35. shiram says:

I knew the Habs could win it against Boston, I never doubted they could take the series.
    That said Boston was a tremendous adversary, and if it were not for the diminished play of many of their top player the result would be different.

Still the Habs gave it all they had, they worked as a unit and they had the emotional edge.
    Therrien did an excellent job with his troops and with the media, huge props to him.
    Bergevin’s acquisition were all money.
    And I’m quite happy.

• Cal says:

I am believing that if Shawn Thornton could take that water bottle squirt on PK back, he would. It was THE turning point of the series.

• Mondou6 says:

Yeah, it was weird, the Bruins didn’t go for any knock down drag out fisticuffs. It was more a collection of chippy/dirty stupid stunts and insults by them and their fans, that all came back to bite them.

Their entire organization was sullied by that series, and PK came out of it being lauded by almost everyone.

Quite a turn of events!

36. C-Sword says:

Eller’s line vs Brassard’s will be an interesting match-up. Which winger will score more goals in this series between Bourque and Pouliot? The Rangers are in a similar situation, their 3rd and 4th lines are responsible of most of their goals, Nash is in a slump. Boyle and Moore are playing great hockey. I’m expecting Prust to play lights out against his former team.

37. Storman says:

Denis Potvin, one thing being a homer,, but i just did not know how unintelligent you truly are wow,, there will be no change when Sportsnet takes over NHL rights,, pure CH hatred..

38. ffenliv says:

Two tickets in the red for game 2!

All of life’s goals: accomplished.

39. Walmyr says:

Looking at both teams (Mon and NY) stats during the playoffs…
    Mr. Weaver is +7!…besides glove saves and other stuff…

40. Sportfan says:

After leaving the Bell Center last night walking down St Catherines the police were high fiving us and giving us props it was cool. Although one of the gloves had metal spikes in them, that was really freaky.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

41. Sportfan says:

Pierre Mcguire got a smooch from the guy he once said he’d think trading for Yakupov was a good move.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

42. hansolo says:

I lived in Ottawa when Denis Potvin played for the 67s. I was impressed by his hockey skills but he never gave anyone a reason to think he had an intellect worth anything. In the 70s (I think ’74 or ’75), he was a TV guest commentator when the Russian Spartak team’s coach pulled his players off the ice in Philly after several deliberate attempts by the Flyers to injure the Russians. He called the Russians a “frustrated” hockey team, and this was after Bobby Clarke had deliberately broken Valery Kharlamov’s ankle in the first Canada-Russia series in ’72.

He is such a homer when he calls Senators games.

Now he thinks Dale Weise broke some sort of honor code where you’re not supposed to reveal what was said on the ice. Well, Weise didn’t but I’m sure in response to a reporter’s question, he said something to the effect that Lucic had behaved disrespectfully. And Potvin has a problem with that! Since when is making a death threat acceptable? It isn’t off the ice and shouldn’t be on the ice, either, not when the Bertuzzi – Moore case is still in in the courts, and not when the protagonist has a history of anti-social behavior.

Potvin and his ilk should move on. Commentators, who are responsible for setting the tone of discussion on hockey matters, should know what’s acceptable and what isn’t in this era.

Perhaps he is auditioning to become Rogers version of Cherry when they take over the airwaves next season. Again, sorry if offend many here who believe CBC does a fantastic job with hockey. I used to believe CBC was great in their coverage, they no longer are. Yes they have some talent who are good, who are fair and seem to care about the job they do. But they have too many Healy, Stock, Cherry personalities along with a host in Maclean who to me has lost touch with reality. He believes he is as big as Cherry and no longer hosts the show with impartiality.

43. JUST ME says:

Read a funny comment on TSN thought i would share…

Bruins in 4? Hum no..Bruins in 5 ? Bruins in 6? Bruins in 7? Bruins in 2015?

44. habs_54321 says:

anyone know what the reactions were from jack edwards on the loss?

45. BJ says:

A Scot was drinking in a bar in London when he gets a call on his cell phone. He orders drinks for everybody in the bar as he announces that his wife has just produced a typical Scottish baby boy weighing 25 pounds.
    Nobody can believe that any new baby can weigh in at 25 pounds, but the man just shrugs, “That’s about average up our way, folks…like I said – my boy’s a typical Highland baby boy. “Two weeks later the man returns to the bar. The bartender says, “Say, you’re the father of that typical Scottish baby that weighed 25 pounds at birth, aren’t you? Everybody’s been making’ bets about how big he’d be in two weeks…..so how much does he weigh now?”
    The proud father answers, “Seventeen pounds.”The bartender is puzzled and concerned. “What happened? He was 25 pounds the day he was born.”
    The father takes a slow swig from his Johnny Walker Whisky, wipes his lips on his shirt sleeve, leans into the bartender and proudly says, “Had him circumcised.”God Bless The Scots!

46. RetroMonkey says:

Um, anyone see my Media Guide? I put it somewhere last night and can’t seem to find it.

Bruins will win with ?? in nets.

47. Mr_MacDougall says:

One thing that was very gratifying was the Habs bottom six dominated the B’s.. The B’s “best 4th line in hockey” didn’t have more than a peep all series, bad on the PK, took costly penalties, spraying water.. Then lok at Weiss and Briere, creating offence, Prust looked better in games 6 and 7.

Who has the depth?

48. DipsyDoodler says:

So what the hell is wrong with Brad Marchand?

Lucic I can comprehend – he is the typical bully. He’s Nelson Munz.

But Marchand? Something is seriously not right with that guy.

Moving. Forward.

49. ffenliv says:

Hadn’t planned on re-posting this so quickly, but with a new thread and all, here goes a second attempt:

At HiB’s suggestion, I’m going to post a few times over the coming days in an attempt to get some game 2 tickets from a holder who can’t go.

The story:

My (pregnant!) wife and her family are all Rangers fans. I live and work in Nunavut, but am home in Ontario for 2 weeks, and the hockey gods have smiled upon me. I happen to be here, with Montreal in the conference finals, against the Rangers. My wife is on board with going, and I need to find a pair of seats, but only game 2 works. I struck out earlier at the presale, and foresee myself striking out again with the general sale.

If any ticket holders out there in HiO-land are interested in selling a pair of seats at something resembling face value, respond here, or send me an email, which I’m doing my (likely futile) best to hide from the spam-bots:

f.f.en.liv@gmail.com

Just take out all the periods (except, obviously, between ‘gmail’ and ‘com’)

50. Sportfan says:

So happy we took out the Bruins like that, next up Rangers. Sigh NBC strikes again forcing a garbage afternoon game on a saturday -_-

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

51. BJ says:

When I saw Bergevin greet all the players and coaches at the games end, he looked like a kid at Christmas getting all the wild presents he could have imagined. Then I had the thought, I can’t imagine Gainey or Gauthier ever displaying such joy and affection like that. It is a new culture and mind set, and its reflected on the ice.

• Sportfan says:

Was a great moment seeing how happy MB was!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• JUST ME says:

One has to give Bergevin full credit for the choices he made and the ones he did not in keeping most of last year`s roster here. We have spoken about how brilliant the moves to get Weise and Weaver were but so was the decision to get Briere. How much do you think 2 more games at the Bell center are worth ? His clutch scoring just took care of his paycheck ! And to say that you hire a guy because he is a clutch player is one thing but to actually come through is great.
      Also cannot say enough about his celebrations and his behaviour with the players. Man ! this is such a refreshing and welcome change !

Aaaahhh!!!! What a great morning! Haven’t had one of those in a while.

53. Furk says:

This is a great feeling. Part of me feels like the Rangers have the same cinderella type story as the Habs had in 2010. The goalie carrying the load and making big saves, while the team in front scored opportunistic goals to win games. I also think the Rangers will have a fatigue factor considering how much hockey they have played in the last month.

With all that said, it’s going to be a great series and the Habs have a chance to make it far. I was only 10 when we won the cup in 92/93, and now I have moved out West. I wish I could be back home with all my fellow Habs fans enjoying this moment, so do not take it for granted. I am looking at tickets to Montreal for two weeks from now, who knows I might join you all.

GHG!!

54. B says:

TSN calls them the “upstart” Montreal Canadiens.
    The Oxford dictionary definition of “upstart”:
    derogatory A person who has risen suddenly in rank or importance, especially one who behaves arrogantly”

–Go Habs Go!–

55. Prop says:

The Habs won what is possibly the best series in the entire playoffs (aside from the SCF), it all feels surreal.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

56. BJ says:

Today feels goooood!

57. JF says:

Just posted this on the last thread before I realized there was a new one:

The Bruins may be the better team on paper and in the regular season, but we played better as a team when it counted. To a man, we were focused on one thing – winning. The attitude was businesslike and professional; pre-game comments were brief and to the point, everyone’s attention was on the immediate task, celebrations after goals and victories were muted.

For the Bruins, the focus seemed more blurred, concentration less absolute. P.K. said, and other Habs implied, that there was a lack of respect for their opponents among the Bruins. At times this lack of respect was palpable, as when Shawn Thornton sprayed P.K. with water as he skated by the Bruins’ bench, or when Milan Lucic flexed his biceps from the bench, or, most egregiously, when this same Lucic actually threatened Dale Weise in the handshake lineup.

Perhaps the Bruins shared the opinion expressed earlier in the season by one of the Boston Globe sports writers, Dan Shaughnessy I think, to the effect that the Habs are “a dirty, despicable, little team.” Even more than “despicable,” the adjective “little” in this context denotes contempt. This attitude seemed to undermine the Bruins’ concentration and distract them into subordinating team play to their personal agendas like retaliation and cheap shots.

I doubt if any of the Bruins thought for one moment that they would lose the series. Even after our masterful performance on Monday night, a performance that was a statement that we are a true contender and are not far off being as elite as they are, they were unconcerned. They shrugged off their failure to close out the series when they had a chance and were certain they would win Game seven. Maybe over-confidence as well as lack of respect played into their downfall.

Another thing. The Bruins may have more muscle, more size, and a bit more talent on their roster, but I think we have the higher hockey intelligence, and I think it showed in this series. We consistently made better decisions with the puck and better use of our chances than they did.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Many here said the key was the Bruins depleted D plus the fact that Rask doesn’t play well against us for some reason.

I’d say they were right.

Add the fact that Godzilla is finished.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• JF says:

Injuries to the Bruins’ D certainly ended up being a key factor. Several of our goals came off mistakes by Bartkowski, Miller, and Krug. As for Rask, he didn’t start well, but improved as the series went on. You really couldn’t blame him on any of the three goals last night. Still, Price was better.

But I think lack of focus, perhaps caused in part by over-confidence and contempt for their opponent, also played an important role. How else do you explain missing as many chances as the Bruins did?

Great read as usual JF!

What a great day today!

• JF says:

Thank you! I absolutely can’t focus on anything today except the victory. It’s enough just to bask in the glow – warmer and more satisfying than the sunlight!

So, MT surprised us (okay me) with the insertion of Beaulieu in the lineup. So the question is two fold. 1) Does Beaulieu start the Rangers series? 2) Does Tinordi get a chance?

I loved what Murray brought to this team, I appreciated what he did for this team and he did help us with the Boston series. But I suspect we may have seen the last of him, does the same hold true for Bouillon?

Part of me thinks MT may put Bouillon back in the lineup for Beaulieu, I am not endorsing that move, but my spidey sense is tingling.

• mdp2011 says:

I think we’ve seen the last of Murray in a Habs uniform. I think we still might see Bouillion and maybe even Tinordi, especially since MT might limit the 6th defencemen’s ice time to about 8 minutes as was the case in the last 2 games. I bet he sticks with the same lineup for game 1, but after that he could make some minor tweaks.

• BJ says:

I think they are going game by game and evaluating any changes based on the immediate needs. I keep Beaulieu in and give him more ice time as his speed is amazing. I would call him a Paul Coffey “light”.

59. icemachine says:

My sister sent me the picture, I supplied the caption :D

“I can’t wait for the crowd, the noise, the energy in the building. I can’t wait to take that all away from them.”

60. Mr_MacDougall says:

Not to be negative…

Patcioretty is the worst decision maker with the puck on the Habs. Every Boston clear on the PK was the result of a patch bad decision! also Markov penalty late in the 3rd, that’s when he tries for a shot? What about when he had a clear shot and didn’t then took a penalty.

I like Patch 5 on 5, and on the rush.. But man is he a bad passer… A shooter only… Decent forcheck… But he ruins the PP most times.. I really hope he is not on the first unit in the Conference finals.

• Chrisadiens says:

He had a sweet assist for a goal in game 6. His passing is not his strong suit, but I wouldn’t say he’s a bad passer.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Chris says:

The weird thing is that I felt that Pacioretty was perhaps the best passer on the team last season. He was making great feeds all over the zone. But this year, his passing has really fallen off.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

He passes very hard, and rarely to the point.. He is not a playmaker and needs to make the simple play.. Leaved The high risk stuff to PK, Markov, and Vanek.

• kalevine says:

I don’t know if I would agree in general, but I did notice on the PP last night that, when he didn’t shoot, he made low percentage passes that ended up as clearing plays for the Bruins most of the time. That was one reason the PP was poor last night, at least until Danny and Chara came along

61. jimmy shaker says:

I think we might see chucky in game 2 of this series for bourque. I can’t see anyone else coming out, even taking bourque out would be a difficult decision for MT, but the only move that makes sense.

Shaker out!

62. Mr_MacDougall says:

Rask might be a hot head, but showed class in the hand shake last night.

• habs-fan-84 says:

I like Rask and I think there’s a healthy respect between he and Price.

• Chris says:

They are quite friendly with one another, having gone head-to-head at every level since they were teenagers.

• Chrisadiens says:

Didn’t you say Rask has proven more than Price at one point during the series? Just curious if your view has changed.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Chris says:

Nope, never said that.

But I think they are equivalent goaltenders. Rask, Price, Quick…the league found 3 ridiculous talents in the same draft.

Price is in the zone this year. Rask will have more chances to prove his mettle, I can assure you. As much as people seem to want to diminish him, he is an outstanding goaltender.

• Chrisadiens says:

My mistake, must have been somebody else. Agree with what you posted.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

Agreed.

• kalevine says:

he did, he behaved like a professional. He wasn’t bad this series, just not as good as usual, and not good enough to win against a very good goalie, let alone one playing at an elite level

63. Puck Bard says:

That Boston Herald article is really good.

64. Phil C says:

Anyone else worried about 0-0 ties and 5 periods of overtime per game in this series?

65. DipsyDoodler says:

Question for all of us.

One major difference between Julien and Therrien is that Therrien was very reluctant to play his rookie defencemen. Even last night Beaulieu had only 7 minutes. Julien on the other hand played a fairly inexperienced defensive lineup, when he has Meszaros available.

On the one hand it seemed like most of our opportunities came when Miller, Bartkowski or Krug were on the ice. So maybe Therrien was right?

On the other hand, our top 4 D played 26 minutes last night and we spent an inordinate amount of time hemmed in in our zone.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• Phil C says:

Therrien is right about experience on defense. We saw what happened to the Habs in 2011–12 when they started the season with 2 rookies on D. Mistakes on D usually end up in your net more often than mistakes as a forward, so experience counts for a lot more on D. Even a guy like Murray who is a poor skater (for NHL standards) and passer can hold his own defensively due to his experience and decision-making. Credit to Bergevin for stockpiling some depth on D as well.

In Julien’s case, he didn’t have much choice other than Meszaros who was pulled off the trash heap from Philadelphia. Meszaros was a scratch in Philly too, Julien had to choose between two bad choices.

• Cal says:

It’s not just who is back on D. The forward line has the responsibility to get the puck out, too, and the Habs have many forwards with that problem.

• 24 Cups says:

I think one of the reasons the Habs spent so much time in their own end is because Boston is a very good hockey team. A Bruin top line that was snake bitten plus 13 scoring attempts that hit iron were as much a part of a Hab win as any other factor.

Krug is a dynamo while Bartkowski is a decent Dman who just seems to take a lot of penalties. Meszaros’ past reputation far outweighs what he has done the past few years. This guy is basically a bust right now hence the use of Miller even though he’s a rookie. Miller would certainly have been scratched if Seidenburg was healthy.

Weaver has been great and Beaulieu is still in the honeymoon phase but they both have limitations as a combined pairing. Having said that, New York’s bottom three are Stralman, Klein and Moore. I’m not sure that’s any better than our bottom three.

24.6 Cups

66. habs-fan-84 says:

Aside from Game 1, does anyone know the schedule for the rest of this series?
    Edit: Nevermind, it’s on Canadiens.com

67. Say Ash says:

Early line:

Chicago Blackhawks 8/5
    Montreal Canadiens 3/1
    New York Rangers 15/4
    Anaheim Ducks 11/2
    Los Angeles Kings 12/1

68. Cardiac says:

Wonder if Galchenyuk will play soon…

- Jerry Maguire

69. JUST ME says:

I like the attitude of the team and most fans to enjoy the day but concentrate on one game the next one and do not look too far ahead.

Since this is a time to rejoyce , reading comments in the Boston Herald is like Christmas time for moi right now…

70. twilighthours says:

Thank the stars for this new thread. The last one wasn’t getting thru the web filter here at work.

What a game last night! The Bruins got just what they deserved!

71. Habfan10912 says:

As if this day couldn’t get any better, my son in law just called me and guess who’s going to game 3 at MSG?

My son in law is in the will!!!!!!!!

72. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says: