Game 1 of Habs vs. Rangers Saturday afternoon at Bell Centre

Bring on the Rangers!

After beating the Bruins in Game 7 Wednesday night in Boston, the Canadiens will face the New York Rangers in the Eastern Conference final series with Game 1 set for Saturday afternoon at the Bell Centre (1 p.m., CBC, NBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

It marks the first time the Canadiens have advanced to the conference final since 2010, when they were eliminated by the Philadelphia Flyers.

“Especially for the guys that have been here and were there in that run in 2010 and who were there when we lost Game 7 (to Boston in the 2011 conference quarterfinals), we’re just sick and tired of it,” Canadiens defenceman P.K. Subban told reporters in Boston after Game 7. “Sick and tired of people disrespecting us and not giving us the credit that we deserve. We’re a good group of guys in here. We’re a character group and I think we earned a lot of respect (Wednesday).”

Added coach Michel Therrien: “To be able to do that accomplishment, to beat the Boston Bruins in Game 7 in their building, I believe those guys have earned some respect. The respect, you’ve got to earn it, and I thought (Wednesday night), those guys earned it.”

The Canadiens were given the day off Thursday and will practise Friday in Brossard.

(Photo by Elise Amendola/The Associated Press)

(Videos by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell)

Habs advance to Eastern Conference final, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Habs spank archrival Bruins in Game 7, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Gritty Habs refused to be pushed around, by Jack Todd for The Gazette

Canadiens match Bruins hit for hit, by Pat Hickey

What did Lucic say to Weise? (video), montrealgazette.com

Aislin’s take on Habs win, montrealgazette.com

Silencing the critics, Canadiens.com

Habs finally earn the respect they deserve, sportsnet.ca

Canadiens win Game 7, will face Rangers, NHL.com

Bruins pay for inability to adapt, NHL.com

Subban plants kiss on Pierre McGuire, NHL.com

Rangers to meet Canadiens, newyorkrangers.com

Canadiens seal upset, Sports Illustrated

Playoff hero Briere strikes again, The Hockey News

Bruins lament what could have been, bostonbruins.com

What went wrong with Bruins? Boston Globe

Back to the drawing board for Bruins, Boston Herald

1. UKRAINIANhab says:

Can’t wait for Saturday! Conference finals baby! GHG

2. bman123 says:

Anyone know when the Habs last played a playoff game at home on a Saturday night? I just can’t get into these weekend afternoon games!

3. RoySubbanPrice says:

Apart from the team and players contributions in this series, I think JJ Daigneault’s experience in the Rangers Farm-system and Org. will be valuable info from a scouting/coaching and strategy point of view. He’s pointers on McDo, and other Rangers D would be awesome. It’s still a team game and who’s Team depth is better will determine series winner. Go Habs Go!

No one remembers those who play average – PK Subban

4. Un Canadien errant says:

In other news, RetroMonkey is nailing it. Love that new sig.

And I need to grovel and apologize to Chuck. I didn’t say anything, but I thought his signature was unreasonably optimistic. Premature. I was afraid of what might be, like maybe only one or two x’s before we get bounced.

I’m saying this as I pick black feathers out of my teeth, but I do declare I love Chuck’s signature.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

5. BJ says:

New thread come on over….

6. Strummer says:

Can’t see why people think CBC would hate the Habs as they are a ratings gold mine

Couldn’t find numbers for last night but Habs are getting huge ratings on CBC.

Top Ten Games of the Week
    Rank Show Network Day Viewers
    1 Bruins at the Canadiens (NHL) CBC Monday 3,670,000
    2 Canadiens at the Bruins (NHL) CBC Saturday 3,073,000
    3 Penguins at the Rangers (NHL) CBC Sunday 1,480,000
    4 Rangers at the Penguins (NHL) CBC Friday 1,310,000
    5 Ducks at the Kings (NHL) TSN Saturday 776,000
    6 Blackhawks at the Wild (NHL) TSN Friday 726,000
    7 Wild at the Blackhawks (NHL) TSN Sunday 620,000
    8 Angels at the Blue Jays (MLB) Sportsnet Sunday 409,000
    9 Angels at the Blue Jays (MLB) Sportsnet Saturday 393,000
    10 Players Championship, final round (PGA) Global Sunday 344,000

The numbers above are BBM’s overnight ratings for sports events on english-language Canadian TV. If these games were also broadcast on an American network available in Canada, those numbers are not included.

____________________________________________________
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

7. Mats Naslund says:

So many pundits gave Montreal no credit after the series with Tampa. It was all about how Tampa blew it after. Fair enough 4-0 looks bad especially when you only look at the goal and not the play that led to it. But seriously – the winning formula for Montreal was exactly the same in both series: skate the pants off of the other team causing turnovers in the neutral zone and odd-man rushes. When the puck is in your end, be the first to the loose puck and clear it. (Also: Have Carey Price). Simple and effective if you can manage it.

Now everyone is giving Montreal a bit more credit, though I am seeing a whole lot more about the failure of the Bruins than we normally would. A lot of hockey people are still struggling to see how Montreal could knock off not only the #2 seed, but the big bad Bruins who were the consensus pick to represent the East. I just hope the Habs can stick to their game plan because there are very few teams in the NHL who can withstand the kind of pressure that Montreal puts opposition defensemen under with their fore-check. That is how you score easy goals when you don’t play a half-court crash and bang style.

8. shiram says:

For the last few years people have talked about whom would take over after Gionta’s captaincy, and while many suggested Subban, I always balked at the idea.

This playoff so far has changed my mind on it, he really seems ready for a leadership role on this team, whenever that comes up, not sure he’ll get the C, but he certainly deserves recognition.

His manner of speech and cool attitude towards all he faced, the focus was on him, and he deflected a lot of attention from the other players.

• Chrisadiens says:

Agree 100% Shiram. The way he handled all the crap he had to take in this series and still managed to remain classy in all his answers to the media was impressive. Captain material for sure.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

“I always feel like — and still to this day — that you should treat people the way you want to be treated,” Lucic told the Boston Herald after speaking to kids at one such event.

So I guess Lucic indeed likes stick to the balls thing?

10. Forum Dog says:

Absolutely great series by the Habs. They displayed a huge competitive spirit and showed that they had the depth players to outmatch the Bruins. Boston was missing some key guys (i.e. Siedenberg and Kelly), and MTL’s 3rd and 4th lines were clearly more effective.

Emelin played Lucic hard all series and that obviously stuck in his craw. There was a play last night where Lucic came into the left corner and knew he was gonna get stapled. What does he do? Toss the puck to the front of the net where the Habs pick it up and go the other way.

Weise did a great job throwing all of Lucic’s antics right back in his face, which for must be very hard to take for a guy who is used to intimidating people with just his face. Bottom line, the Bruins were forced to play a game they were not comfortable with, and MTL took advantage.

Big time props to Therrien. I have been very critical of him throughout the season, but he found matchups that worked and kept everyone pulling together. Great job by the entire coaching staff.

Plekanec and Desharnais deserve a lot of credit for their performances. Plekanec because he bounced back after a pretty brutal game 5, and I thought DD played his heart out again last night. Small in stature, big in heart.

He doesn’t have the high end skill of some of his team-mates, but what can you say about Gallagher. He was non-stop all series and a real motivating factor for the entire team. He tied the Bruins in knots down low and really wore their top minute guys down. Chara looked exhausted.

The Rags are gonna be a different animal again, so hopefully Therrien & Co. can adjust the gameplan accordingly (and in short order). There is a lot more speed in New York, as well as a goalie with a lot of composure. St. Louis and Brassard will be fired up to play in MTL, and they have some good depth both up front and on the back end. Should be a great series as well, this time with MTL having home ice advantage. Hopefully they can make good use of it.

GO HABS!!!!

• johnnylarue says:

DD was, to borrow an oft-abused descriptor, A MONSTER last night.

His play on the Pacioretty goal was perhaps the most obvious example of his tenacity, but his play without the puck all throughout that series was miles above what I thought him capable of.

Even if his showing on the scoresheet is a bit meek by his regular season standards, I’m incredibly impressed by the way he’s been able to find another level in both his fore-checking and back-checking in the post-season. Major props to Wee Davey.

11. JF says:

The video of Milan Lucic post-game is frightening. He both looks and sounds like rage incarnate, and the low forehead and hooked nose are positively sinister.

12. HabsChris says:

Hey is anyone selling game 5 tickets? If you are please email me @ chris.w.10@hotmail.com or text me at 7807176984. Thanks!

13. Danno says:

The guy on That’s Hockey 2 Nite talks the way I imagine CAPSLOCK DAN does.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

14. Mr_MacDougall says:

Might not show up at the weigh in, but Gallagher and DD were the biggest Habs in games 6 & 7

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

15. mdp2011 says:

Wow, the ratings for RDS are incredible, 2 496 000 average viewers for game 7 last night with a high of 3 477 000.

16. Un Canadien errant says:

Bob McKenzie on TEAM 1040 currently, whitewashing Milan Lucic’s conduct against the Habs, saying it’s not that uncommon for a player to skip the handshake line, but completely missing the point about taking part in it to threaten someone else. He goes on to say that he was wound up after the game during the interviews, it excuses some of his actions. He goes further to say that he’d take him on his team anytime.

He’s actually more annoyed with Dale Weise and the Canadiens, thinks they laid it on too thick with the lack of respect angle, saying “You’re the Montréal Canadiens, there’s your respect.”

Really not impressed with his take on things. I usually respect what he has to say, but this was so far off-base, I don’t know what stuck in his craw. He said that he gets a lot of flak for “The TSN panel said this, the panel said that, …”, and that the panel rarely has a unified voice, there are divergent opinions, but people focus on the opinion they don’t agree with and paint all of TSN with that.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• CJ says:

I place absolutely zero value in anything McKenzie has to say. I invite you to do the same.

Fact is, a Montreal final would be great for ratings, but will be a killer for many of the on-air hosts and personalities associated with CBC, Sportsnet and TSN. Much of this contempt is rooted in jealousy dating back over 50 years.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, I usually pay attention and enjoy hearing him on various subjects, I’ll trust something when I hear it from him rather than a lot of other reporters, but this one was odd. I never knew him to be partial, he makes a point of not making series predictions, but it certainly doesn’t appear that he holds the Canadiens dear. And he’ll bend over backwards to excuse the actions of a Bruin.

Why is it so hard to say that Milan Lucic, at best, screwed up royally last night, and should apologize and make amends? Why do we have to jackedwards this into a show of character and desire and competitiveness?

Again, one reason I enjoy RDS is that when a Canadien messes up, Pierre Houde and Marc Denis say so. And when an opponent does, they point it out, but don’t oversell it. Marc Denis’ call of the Brad Marchand punch to Tomas Plekanec is a triumph of restraint.

• johnnylarue says:

So many joyous points to touch upon today, not least of which was Marchand’s utter uselessness in this series.

Never mind the fact that the Habs have largely developed an immunity to his particular breed of “sportsmanship”, but to see him continually whiff on golden scoring opportunities, have multiple perfect passes routinely pass right through him… That’s some major league vindication for you, right there.

Edit: a bit OT, I confess.

• JUST ME says:

It is kind of the collateral damages of the NHL allowing byllying from the Bruins for all these years. Even the tv guys think it`s O.K. and think à la Julien . Did you ever hear the word embellishment coming from reporters before Julien talked about it ? How about the diving penalties ? That`s how with time they got to make believe that anything Bruins was the absolute thruth. It will take a while to go away but you know what ?

WE BEAT THE BUCKING FRUINS ! How sweet is it ?

• DipsyDoodler says:

Bobby Mac is the biggest brown-noser in hockey. Don’t buy his insider schtick, he’s a useful idiot.

Whenever there’s a dirty hit he opines about the likely suspension (usually shorter than you’d expect). Just doing the groundwork for the NHL.

He can take him on his team if he wants. What are they called?

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• 1010 says:

I quit respecting that Toronto-centric twits comments years ago.

GO HABS…

17. HabFab says:

Noticed earlier that someone mentioned that Markov had said something to Lucic in the handshake line up.
    Does anyone have an actual comment said?
    Noticed that Lucic looks back at Markov and starts mouthing… this before he greets Weise and Emelin.
    And the look on PK’s face when he shakes Lucic’s hand “What do you think of me now?”

HIO members.
    I have not heard back from my contact at the Bell Center yet about tickets for the conference finals and for the cup finals. I am working hard at getting some for our group!

Ian

Someone has way too much time on their hands but some of it is still funny

20. kirkiswork says:

I wonder if poor sport Looch is golfing today and Marchand is his little caddy.
    Also beautiful to see the goal go in right off Chara.

Bring on New York.

LOL, saw this on twitter

“Don Cherry on Fan590: I don’t go to afternoon games. NBC wants it so we do what NBC wants. *petitions to move all games to afternoon*”

22. kmachabs27 says:

anybody selling tickets for game 2 on monday give me a text at 9059329074 or email me at kevinjmacdonald@hotmail.com, looking to make the trip from niagara falls

23. mdp2011 says:

This is cool. Briere mic’d up during handshake line.

• Chrisadiens says:

I made it up to this sentence and then closed the article.

“Carey Price is almost as good a goaltender as Lundqvist,”

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• boing007 says:

‘If the Rangers continue to play the way they did in the last three games against the Penguins, then this could indeed be their year to win it all’.

No way, José. Habs in Five.

Richard R

24. UKRAINIANhab says:

I just don’t get why everyone is so quick to insert Galchenyuk into the lineup… He did not have a very good year and he has been injured for a while. I say we wait till next year. I just don’t think he will bring much. Just my opinion.

• johnnylarue says:

He’s good to have on reserve if/when our scoring dries up. But otherwise, I agree–hard to justify a substitution at this juncture.

• Habitforming says:

The habs used the players that suited the series. The series vs the Rangers is totally different than the Bruins. Galchenyuk is needed in this one.

I’m not sure if you know this, but all three games in the reg season were won/lost by shutouts. The vision Galchenyuk has can create plays out of nothing and in this series, one goal could be all thats needed to win a game.

Let’s assume he isn’t dressed and the habs lose the series. Next season he still has zero experience and he is the future of this forward group. Live in the now, yes; but there also has to be some consideration to your future playoffs as well.

25. Say Ash says:

Chapter 3

“…rather than bullying in the halls, wait for phys ed class. Be sure to escalate by threatening human life…”

Completely realize I am way ahead of myself, but having said that…..

If (IF) the Habs were to win the Cup this season, whom would Gionta give the Cup to first after first raising it over his head? (Insert joke here how it would still be at Price’s waist) Price? Markov? Gorges? PK?

27. Say Ash says:

Chapter 2:

“…instead of getting bullied, become the bully…”

28. UKRAINIANhab says:

Repeat after me

MT is a good coach
    MT is a good coach!!!

Great job to all three coaches!!! Also congrats to the vets on our team. Especially Markov and Pleks who have given everything to this franchise. Would love to see both raise the cup. Today we celebrate! But the journey is not complete! GHG.

• Paz says:

He coached well after game 5, for sure.

• Le Jadester says:

I thought Plex had a crappy game yesterday IMO?
      But all is forgiven since we won and I’m pretty sure he’s gonna be huge against the Rangers!
      Danny Bee earned all of his annual salary in last night’s game for me too!
      Can’t say enough about Markie!
      The trip on Chara was priceless !

Habs, OLE !

29. Luke says:

Hey.

‘Sup?

Busybusybusy Today. Probably directly related to how distracted I was yesterday.

30. Mavid ® says:

I was too nervous to stay on and post last night..what a team! what a win..the very first person to call me after the win was a Leaf fan he wanted to offer his congrats on the big win.. I woke up a couple of times in the middle of the night, and realized I did not dream it..we actual won..and eliminated those dirty bruins..whoohooo, several people are sporting their habs T’s and jersey’s today..one more flag on the car this morning…GO HABS GO!!

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

31. Un Canadien errant says:

Vancouver TEAM 1040′s ‘Hashtags’ segment. Today’s subject: What Milan said to Dale Weise.

-We’re going to beat you guys in Game 8!
    -That didn’t hurt as much as losing a game, series and cup in seventeen seconds (reference to last season’s loss to the Blackhawks)
    -Dude, you ever been to Mean Poutine? (http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Milan+Lucic+sucker+punched+favourite+hometown+hangout/9293731/story.html)
    -Am I as over-rated as our anthem singer?

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

32. mark-ID says:

my question is, how can Gallagher continue to be friends/training partners with Lucic? It is strange to think of them as being friends is it not?

33. Habondarock says:

This is hilarious and somewhat sad.

• Cal says:

Not Nice to be a Bully on the Ice.
      What an icehole and farging bastage!

• Forum Dog says:

Johnny Dangerously – Now that is a movie I haven’t thought about in a long time…..Classic!

I recognize that the the Bruins enjoy their big, bad reputation, but this is an organization that has had players like Phil Esposito, Bobby Orr, Ray Bourque, Adam Oates, Cam Neely, etc. all play in their system. Competitive, hard nosed HOF players, and yet I can’t imagine any of them pulling the shnit Lucic pulled last night. I would love to know what Iginla was thinking standing directly behind him.

34. Frank2468 says:

Ok, everyone I dislike Lucic as much as the other guy but lets not lower ourselves to calling him out on race or domestic violence or anything else that has nothing to do with hockey. If we go down that road it will go bad fast. Lets leave race religion and wives out of the conversation. Lets not behave like bruin fans we are way better then that Go Habs Go.

35. The Jackal says:

Hey guys….? I f**king love the Habs. And kitties. But yeah the Habs are awesome.

Is it too late to amend the Hart, Vezina, Norris, Masterton, and Selke lists? Hart and Vezina to Carey. Norris back to PK. DD with the Masterton, and Pleks with the Selke. Woo!

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

36. Danno says:

His antics with his stick and biceps made him look like a fool. His disrespect to the Canadiens played a big part in his teammates now buying new water skis and golf bags.

Milan Lucic

The Ineffective Man-Thing

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

37. Puck Bard says:

I don’t hate Lucic. He’s just playing his game. Not the hockey I like, but he’s not the first and won’t be the last. What would you expect from a guy that models himself after Bertuzzi?

Been meaning to say – whoever on here goes with the tag, “Pure Pak, Ben Oui!”: that brought back a great memory.

38. twilighthours says:

Oh my goodness, Lucic really did release an anti-bullying thing!

Amazing!

39. Ozmodiar says:

Edited: I hope Lucic’s something something something.

40. WVHabsfan says:

I am ashamed to have Serbian blood in me like Lucic. What an F!

41. JF says:

I love this statement by P.K. Subban before the game:

“I hope the crowd is louder than in (the Bell Centre),” he said. “I hope it gets nasty. I hope it gets dirty. At the end of the game, when you’re shaking hands, whoever wins, that’s what the feeling is all about. Knowing that you battled, knowing that you went through a war. You know what? We’re gonna be there at the end standing tall.”

To be there at the end standing tall – that’s what playoff hockey is all about. That’s the attitude of a winner.

• CJ says:

If I might add one little thing JF, respectfully, that’s not just the attitude of a winner, but the attitude of a CHAMPION. Further, it is the comments straight from the mouth of a leader.

In the glow of what was a great series, and what has been a great playoffs thus far, I don’t want to stir the pot unnecessarily, but the identify of this team has transformed before our very eyes. The proverbial passing of the torch is taking place, as the old guard – namely the Captain, is passing it onto Price, PK, Max, DD, Eller, Gorges, Gally, Prust, Bournival and the younger players on this team.

With the exception of Weaver, our 30 and under crowd is really carrying this group right now.

• twilighthours says:

My heart breaks for Cherry.

• Ron says:

If you listen to his podcast he is asked what will Iginla do next season. Cherry: he’ll stay with Boston, “Therien” likes him. Wow, doesn’t even have his beloved team coach right.

• Frank2468 says:

What makes me laugh about Cherry is when he talks about the Bruins he uses words like we and us like he still part of the organization. News flash Grapes they fired you cause you couldn’t beat the Habs fool.

Then I listened to Scotty talk wow what a difference he makes sense and doesn’t call out other teams. Talks about others with respect he’s a class act unlike the other one who wishes he was still employed by the Bruins. I really wish Neely would do us all a favor and employ Cherry and get him off of CBC.

A reminder why I never listen to Fan 590 before Primetime with Bobcat anymore. Greg Brady is intolerable, for me at least.

42. Un Canadien errant says:

Does anyone else get the sense that Aaron Hernandez just ended up on the wrong Boston team? And that if he had worn the black and diarrhea-yellow jersey, Don Cherry would now be saying that he’s misunderstood, a heck of a player, and deep-down a really good kid?

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

43. WVHabsfan says:

@ John Bellyfull. I agree 100 percent. I don’t understand it either. They attacked the US not just Boston. Julien and his team were grasping for straws IMO.

44. icemachine says:

Milan Lucic talking about his new book, Not Cool to Bully in School

Asked what his message is to parents about bullying, Lucic responded: “Teach them to respect everyone, respect themselves and respect your peers. I know that’s what I was brought up to believe in growing up. My parents did such a good job with myself.”

What a hypocritical, lowlife goon.

Lucic said he wanted his conversation to “stay on the ice” and suggested that “if he (Weise) wants to be a baby about it, he can make it public.”

New title – Not Cool to Bully in School, but it’s Nice on the Ice

from http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2014/05/15/boston_bruins_milan_lucic_recently_released_antibullying_book.html

“I can’t wait for the crowd, the noise, the energy in the building. I can’t wait to take that all away from them.”

45. Hobie says:

Lucic was wearing a mic during the handshake lineup last night. What he said to each player has now been made public in this article: http://pkists.blogspot.com/2014/05/a-handshake-story-long-winding-road.html?spref=fb

• Grabbed The Cup says:

F’n funny stuff dude…
      “Lucic to Gorges: Next year I’m going to build a Lego replica of Hong Kong in your anus. ”

You leave me little notes on my pillow. Told you 158 times I can’t stand little notes on my pillow. “We’re all out of cornflakes. F.U.” Took me three hours to figure out F.U. was Felix Unger!

• Timo says:

That is some really funny sh!t. Love it!

46. Un Canadien errant says:

TEAM 1040′s Matt Sekeres’ “Tell Me I’m Wrong…” segment, in which listeners contribute a statement to follow the titular phrase.

-the handshake is what we say sets this sport apart. Without respect and class, you might as well not bother.
    -if Subban did what Lucic did, there would have been a much greater uproar.
    -the rest of hockey world now knows what Vancouver has known all along about the Bruins.
    -Milan is an embarrassment to East Vancouver.
    -Milan Lucic’s body of work shows he’s a hell of a player, hell of a douchebag.
    -Vancouver hockey fans were not cheering for the Habs, they were cheering against the Bruins
    -Carey Price has solidified his status as the best goalie in the League.
    -as much as Vancouverites want to defend Milan Lucic, he sure makes it hard…
    -the Habs are officially Vancouver’s team.
    -Canucks fans have seen both sides of the Boston model, and should be wary of adopting it. (The Canucks are believed to be on the verge of hiring Bruins Assistant GM Jim Benning as their new GM).
    -you can bet Jarome Iginla was disgusted being behind Milan Lucic in the handshake line.
    -the decision to keep Carey Price over Jaro Halak, even after the miraculous playoff he had, is now proven to be the right one.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

47. sprague cleghorn says:

I am lucky enough to have been alive for 17 Stanley Cup wins by the Canadiens. I have never been happier to be a Habs fan than I was last night.

… ‘ow could we forget that?

48. knob says:

Total shot blocks between both teams in this series? Over/under 300

49. Un Canadien errant says:

Has this news been bruited on HIO yet?

Sabres’ Konopka suspended 20 games

When do Sean Thornton’s and Milan Lucic’s positive drug test results come in? Now that they’ve been eliminated? Is Daddy going to release the results now?

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• DipsyDoodler says:

KONOPKA!

—–
      Moving. Forward.

I would guess that Konopka is at a stage in his career where he is needing every advantage possible to get another contract. Perhaps got a bit sloppy with the cycling required to avoid detection. I have a hard time believing PED use isn’t quite rampant in the NHL, just as it is in all pro sports. There is just too much money up for grabs for players not to take extra steps in order to cash in.

Edit: Apparantly it isn’t PED’s/Roids he was positive tested for. It was vitamins from a Natural Healing type store, they were on banned list and he didn’t realize it.

• frontenac1 says:

Health Food store? Mrs. Front took me into one once. The guy behind the counter looked like Don Knotts on Bennies! And he was giving her advice on Healthy? I just went back outside and fired up a cigar.

• Chris says:

Oh noes! Not the Kenokaplypse!

Well, that is 2 people the NHL’s drug program has now caught. Sean Hill was previously the lone player caught, having been suspended for 20 games back in 2007.

Jose Theodore and Bryan Berard both failed off-season tests, but there were medical circumstances I believe in both cases and the drug agreement with the NHLPA was still not in effect at that point.

• johnnylarue says:

Needles in a haystack, my friend.

The screening program is THAT good. ;)

• DipsyDoodler says:

Theo claimed he was treating his male pattern baldness.

The funny thing is he had an even fuller head of hair than JohnnyLarue (prior to yesterday).

—–
        Moving. Forward.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Hey Chris, just reading your post on the previous thread on how we feel persecuted as Habs fans and HIO members, and that bad refereeing can go both ways. Great post, your points are well taken, trying to cool things down is probably a good thing.

I disagree with your take that some calls maybe shouldn’t have been made in a Game 7. We often talk about how penalties should be called the same, whether in regular season or playoffs or first period or overtime. Brad Marchand did a blatant show shower of Carey Price. That’s as cut and dried as a ‘puck over glass’ call.

At first I did think that Andrei Markov pushed Brad Marchand into Carey Price, so the goalie interference might have been undeserved, but after a couple more looks, it appears that Mr. Marchand took advantage of the hook/shove and drove into Carey, trying to disguise it as an unavoidable fall.

50. Puck Bard says:

My favorite Lucic Tweet from last night,

“We’re gonna beat you guys in game 8″ #WhatLucicToldWeise

51. Habcouver says:

Lucic’s chest pounding was a tribute to Boston Strong (marathon)?
    Far-fetched IMO.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

Why would Claude Julien lie? (please read with a dead-pan sarcastic delivery)

• JohnBellyful says:

I just posted this (now under Older Comments):

JohnBellyful
      May 15, 2014 at 2:12 pm

I don’t understand this Boston Strong stuff as it relates to a hockey game. Don’t get the connection at all.
      How does pounding one’s chest after a goal relate to people getting killed by a terrorist act and a city showing its defiance, saying it will never give in to evil?
      If a statement has to be made at an athletic event — and why not a concert, at art showing, a book reading? — as a tribute to the victims and as a testament to the resiliency of the city why not at the start of the game, with fans pounding their chests proclaiming a game will be played no matter what forces are out there that want to do them and their way of life harm?
      And the act was intended to be a symbolic blow to the United States, not just to the city in which it took place, so why didn’t Lucic break out with a verse or two of the national anthem?
      I think Lucic and the Bruins were just trying to cover themselves in glory by the easiest means possible, without having to go to the bother of behaving in a way that actually would bring them [Edit: and their city] glory.

Speaking of Steroids…..

NHL Public Relations
    ‏@PR_NHL
    Zenon Konopka has been suspended 20 games for violating terms of NHL/NHLPA Performance Enhancing Substances Program. http://s.nhl.com/wTkcc

53. Un Canadien errant says:

If René Bourque doesn’t turn it back on, he’s the obvious candidate to sit if Alex Galchenyuk is healthy. I hate to say it though, but against a less aggressive opponent, maybe René will find his groove again.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• Cal says:

Bourque’s been fine. He’s been skating hard and hitting. A career-long scorer of about 20 to 25 goals isn’t about to dominate playoff scoring every round, but he helped Eller contribute.

• JohnBellyful says:

Another way of saying rut?

• johnnylarue says:

Chucky can take his time for now. He should make sure his knee is 100% healthy before attempting to do a proper victory lap with that 35lb salad bowl hoisted over his head.

• Timo says:

I disagree. Bourque hasn’t scored but he did play well. At least, good enough not to be taken out of the lineup (yet). Galchenyuk hasn’t played in 2 months… Unless someone is injured, I doubt Habs will be making much change now.

54. Un Canadien errant says:

TEAM 1040′s daily poll:

Milan Lucic is…

1) Beyond Good
    2) Beyond Goof
    3) Beyond Goon

Voting is restricted to one vote every 2 hour(s)

Vote here: http://www.teamradio.ca/

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

55. govenah says:

Hey, If Chuckie comes back in, who sits?

and ha ha ha!
    “Chara has changed his name to Charcoal”

• johnnylarue says:

Bourque has gone cold again, and if the pattern holds it could be another 50-60 games before we catch another glimpse of the “Round One René”…

• CJ says:

I know this won’t be popular, but Bourque, Vanek or Gionta are the three offensive players who’s games are not nearly consistent enough. Of course, there is no way that they will sit Vanek or Gionta, so, if only by default, I’d say Bourque.

Briere, Weise, Bournival, Prust all deserve to stay in the lineup.

Just my two cents…

56. B says:

Some positive playoff Team stats from NHL.com:
    .727 point% – rank: 1st
    3.27 G/G – rank: 1st
    2.36 GA/G – rank: 4th
    1.37 5-5 F/A – rank: 2nd (behind NYR)
    26.3 PP% – rank: 4th (1st among remaining teams)

Corresponding Regular season numbers:
    .610 point% – rank: 10th
    2.55 G/G – rank: 21st
    2.45 GA/G – rank: 8th
    0.99 5-5 F/A – rank: 16th
    17.2 PP% – rank: 19th

–Go Habs Go!–

57. Un Canadien errant says:

Do you remember how around this time last year, Brad Marchand and Milan Lucic were being considered for inclusion on the Canadian Olympic men’s hockey team? And how cavemen like Don Cherry were saying you needed guys like that to win?

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

58. Chrisadiens says:

The last time the Habs were in the East finals, I thought for sure they would be in the Stanley Cup finals. I was wrong. While on paper the Habs will be favored in this series, I’m still reminded of that disappointment of the Flyers crushing the Habs in 2010.

Have to earn it. Lundquist is playing really well right now, but the Habs seem to have his number. (Sound familiar Rask?)

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

Scariest moment in the game last night? Price almost cleared that puck off Subban and right into an open cage. Would have been a very very tense last little bit of the game if that goes in. Shades of Steve Smith type goal. (different by much I realize, but an own goal could have really swung momentum.)

60. Gazza Strip says:

So proud of the team’s effort last night and for that matter, during all the playoffs. So excited to have gotten a couple of tickets and planning to drive from N.B. tomorrow night. This is the first time I’ve done this since 2010 when I came to game four vs. the Flyers. Hope for a better result this time.

61. Ozmodiar says:

I’ve tried reading larue’s comments, but I just end up staring at the avatar until I scroll away.

62. Chris says:

Lucic should take a page from John Ferguson next time he ends up in a line shaking hands of players he hates. Just skip it altogether.

• CalgaryHab says:

What gets me is how oblivious he is to his unsporstmanlike antics. Marchand and Chara too.

• Chris says:

Lucic is the worst of the three by a mile.

I think Marchand is fully aware of his antics. It is just the style that he has embraced. I don’t think any of the super-pests (Fiddler, Lapierre, Marchand, Linseman, Hunter, Tikkanen) were unaware of what they were doing.

• Fansincebirth says:

Lucic looked like he wanted to beat the crap out of the reporters, like a caged animal waiting to strike out

63. Mr_MacDougall says:

Off topic.. An American high schooler fired 190+ pitches in a 14 inning game yesterday! How’s your arm/back/legs today kid!

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

64. Subban in Sochi says:

I adore the Habs’ beat writers at the Gazette. But if you want to fully appreciate the pain the Bruins, their management, fans, and sportswriters are experiencing it is a must to go to boston.com and read last night’s post from “Obnoxious Boston Fan,” AKA long-time sports journalist Bill Speros. OBF doesn’t spare the rod-his column is almost as good as Game 8 in the Summit Series.

An ode to Pernell Karl written long ago by “someone” from my ‘hood, Maine:

“My candle burns at both ends;
    It will not last the night;
    But, ah my foes, and oh, my friends-
    It gives a lovely light.”

Luckily, P.K.’s “poetry” did not have to last “the night.” But it did last the 26:17 minutes of his ToI. And it gave of a rocket’s red glare that should silence Rene Rancourt for several months!! Maybe RR can brush up on his French in the interim, eh…?

Legal names change filed early this morning in Charlestown court: Zdeno Chara alters his last name to “Charcoal.”

Meanwhile, Winnipeg court sources put down rumors that Dale Kenton Weise will change his middle name to “F.” There was speculation that he might change his middle name to match the Pope’s. Unconfirmed. Though the “F” would be popular in Tampa & Boston…

“Cannonading drive!!”

65. CalgaryHab says:

Don’t under-estimate the effects that game 6 had on the bruins and their psyche. The b’s played well but had no answer to how great the Habs played. That 4-0 score reeked havoc with their confidence.

• joeybarrie says:

Before the game I told my boss who doesn’t know anything about hockey.
      we won the last game 4-0… So either the momentum is ours, or they will come out and crush us.

losing crept into their heads. They know we can be a better team than them. And they have no respect for their foes.

The Underdog by spoon….

You got no time for the messenger,
      Got no regard for the thing that you don’t understand,
      You got no fear of the underdog,
      That’s why you will not survive!

66. CJ says:

Good afternoon.

I was unable to jump on earlier. Any update from Mr. Cobb regarding tickets? I was able to grab game 2 and have an option on games 5 and 7 from my partnership, but interest is certainly rising to monumental heights….

So, pulling back the curtains I will share the following with the commentariat;

My wife, a wonderful, smart, beautiful, professional woman loves babies. We have two healthy boys, aged 1 and 3, but she would love nothing more than to have a third and, although she does not pester me about it, has certainly made sure that I am aware of her wishes.

Secondly, my wife clings to promises like nobody you have ever met. If I even suggest something verbally, I find myself bound to a legal agreement.

So, having provided this context, I have somehow managed to get myself into quite the pickle. The long and short of it is, during an alcohol fueled game six viewing, I must have responded to one of her frequent requests for a larger family by saying, “if we win this series, we can have another kid.”

Having just met for lunch, this subject was brought to my attention.

How’s that for a promise!

If I am going all the way, I just hope the team can too!

Cheers, CJ

67. CHasman says:

I have to admit I just finished reading most of the Boston news stories about the game. One thing that stands out are the comments. “We’re so good.” “We should have won.” “We have such a great team.” “It’s our year to win it all.”
    Some of the comments made about respect ring true. The Bruins did not respect their opponents, they just believed they deserved to win and that they would. That ideology cost them.
    I always remember the game a couple of years ago when the big bad Bruins literally beat up the Habs in a game. They did it and they enjoyed it because they could. It is funny that we won this series with so many tough guys sitting. Ryan White,Travis Moen, George Parros, Douglas Murray. Prust and Weise were the calming influences and played with heart. Eller is playing like a big centre and played the body constantly. Gallagher is playing a feisty, gritty game. Deharnais is awesome. I could go on and on.
    I’d like to see Therrien reunite the Vanek, Pacioretty, Deharnais line against the Rangers because I still believe we need that top line weapon. They are all playing better than when they were split up and as long as they don’t try to be too cute, I believe they can be our ace in the whole. I won’t question Therrien’s judgement though. I have been out coached by him all year.
    I am so happy to still be watching the Habs play this year I can’t contain it. Go Habs Go!

• B says:

Too many Bruins “expected” to win. Montreal didn’t take anything for granted.

–Go Habs Go!–

• CHasman says:

I hope the Habs don’t go into the series against the Rangers ‘expecting’ to win. The Rangers have knocked off the Flyers and the Pens so they are doing something right.

68. Say Ash says:

lol Markov told Lucic to look players in the eyes when shaking hands? That’s awesome

69. joeybarrie says:

I said to myself before the game last night, it would be a shame if we didn’t win and go to the next round. We have been playing right up to our abilities and deserve to see if we can make it to the Finals.
    Just thinking that we are about to have Chuckie back. How great do we look?
    You never know, but we can and should beat the Rangers.
    Beaulieu staying in the lineup. Chuckie back in. PK playing great. Price playing perfect. MaxPac going very well. And the fringe guys killing it.
    Still have good performances out of Bourque who will fare better against a team like NYR. Vanek can step up.
    HOW GREAT DO THINGS LOOK TODAY.
    from last in the east to the conf finals and maybe cup finals in 2 years.
    MT and MB doing amazing.
    I’m very pleased.

70. SteverenO says:

Overall the Habs nave been playing inspired hockey in this post season “run”. The only component that leaves something to be desired improvement is the coaching; personnel management and ice time distribution. If we see some marked improvement ion this department we should go on the stanley cup finals, and once there win, or lose, it can be called a truly great season performance by our beloved Habs.

*************************************
    reposted from previous thread:

Putting aside the euphoria of winning the series, I believe that yesterdays game was Therrien”s worst coached game of the playoffs so far.

Once again it proves that coach cam make can make many bad decisions and yet hos team can still win.

Where should I start?

Briere, a history if playoff and game seven heroics, is relegated to the 4th line with Prust and Weise, Despite scoring the all important first goal 27 seconds in to their first shift of the game, the line played only one other shift together for a total TOI of 1 minute and 6 seconds the entire game.

Plekanec played 2:12 with Briere”s wingers, Prust and Wiese, twice as much ice time with the 4th line wingers as Briere had.

Apparently Therrien feels that Briere is a defensive liability, and cannot be trusted to play at even strength when the team has a lead. Does anyone care to guess who has been our during the playoffs this year? Briere has played a total of 82 minutes of even strength playoff hockey and has been on for exactly one opposition Goal and 4 Habs goals.

Plekanec has played 181 minutes and been on for 11 opposition goals and 7 Habs goals. Is there any reason that Plekanec should be “double shifted” and take ice time away from Briere?

I bet many people did not realize that Subban played only two shifts in the last 8 and a half minutes of the second period, after the Habs took a 2-0 lead. One was a 22 second shift and the other came AFTER the Bruins scored a PP goal to make it 2-1.

(Gorges , Markov and Weaver played 6 shifts in that span between the Habs taking a 2-0 lead and Boston making it 2-1, Emelin played 4 shifts while Beaulieu and Subban appeared twice each).

Back to Briere, I wonder how he felt in the third period having had only one shift lasting 6 seconds prior to being called upon for the second wave of the PP with 3 and 1/2 minutes to play. despite having been tied to the bench for the entire 3rd period and having only two shifts in the second, somehow he managed to score the all important insurance goal making it 3-1. The announcers claimed it was a “lucky” goal an attempted pass that deflected off Chara skate and into the net. Personally, I believe that Briere was trying to bank it in off Chara”s skate as there was no one in the area to pass to.

Lets look at Vanek. When he first arrived he made it clear that he preferred playing left wing. In order to fit him into Therriens first line with DD and Pacioretty, he was inserted on the left wing and for the final stretch of the regular season they made up arguably the best forward line in hockey.

After a few games without offensive results the line wassplit up and Gallagher was reinserted back on the right wing beside DD and Patches. My question is once Vanek was removed from the top line, why not put him back on the left wing? Its one thing to have him relinquish his preferred position for Pacioretty, a 39 goal scorer but for Bournival? Bournival is a centerman, and would probably play just as well on either wing.
    Surprisingly to most who had not been familiar with Vanek, he was not only a sniper but a great passer and playmaker. Is it really the best spot for him to be paired with Plekanec and Bournival? Yesterday after not playing with DD and Patches for the entire series with the bruins, Vanek played 5 minutes with Plek and Bournival, and 5 minute with DD and Pacioretty.

I will admit that I did not think the Habs would beat the Bruins in the series, Not because I thought we COULD not beat them, but because I thought we would have to utilize our best players to their maximum efficiency to win. It seems that I was wrong, Despite the fact that the Habs (because of Therrien) did NOT optimize their line up, line combos, and personnel/ ice time deployment the HAbs stillmanaged to beat the Bruins.

Lets talk about Bournival and Weise for that matter, towards the end of the regular season, everyone watching could tell that Bournival and Weise were both extrenely facst skaters and effective players deserving of more ice time , or at least a regular shift. BOurnival , time and again was either out of the lineuo or played 6 to 8 minutes a gam, Instead of recognizing teh need for speed and youthful exuberance and giving these players every opportunity to contribute and get the necessary experience in the regular season they were held back give very little opportunity.
    Come playoff time, Bournival is suddenly a top 6 player getting top 6 minutes, and Weise does nothing but score important goals.

If there ever was a case for a team winning despite their coach, this is certainly it. Now, To be fair, Therrie, does bring some positive attributes to the team, and that should not go unrecognized. He is responsible for bringing a winning spirit, a team first attitude, and getting his players to believe they could win. That being said, if he doesn”t start making better personnel decisions and smarter ice time distribution, the team will be knocked out of the playoffs. NOT because the opponents are betterm but because he is not coaching in a way that maximizes his own teams strengths and potential.

With Price in the nets the personnel on this team is as good or better than any team in the east, and could even surprise the squad that represents the western conference ion the stanley cup finals.

Hopefully, but I doubt it, For the Rangers series Therrien will come to his senses and rotate four optimized lines:

I would like to see:

either
    67-51-11
    48-14-21
    20-81-17
    8- 49- 22

or

67-51- 20
    48-14-21
    17-81-11
    8- 49- 22

Without any doubt Beaulieu must play and get a regular shift against the rangers.

If it is deemed that Murrays toughness and grit is required he should replace Weaver and play next to Beaulieu.

Murray can only play IF he is paired with Beaulieu who’s speed can make up for Murray,s lack of skating ability,

Finally, how can anyone respect a coach who plays Douglas Murray on the second shift in sudden death overtime, yet refuse to give a regular shift to Beaulieu even when the team is leading by multiple goals?

The fact that Therrien has no concern with playing Murray when the game is on the line, even in overtime, knowing that the team almost never scores when Murray is on the ice but refuses to play a far superior player like Beaulieu, or Briere, on a semi-regular basis even when the team is leading by two goals is nothing less than ridiculous.

regards,

Steve O.

• Commandant says:

Murray should never be put on the ice again…. end of story.

• Chris says:

I don’t think you’re going to get much traction with a Therrien rant after he just out-coached Claude Julien, one of the best in the business.

• Paz says:

Whether he gets traction or not, he makes some valid points.

However, coaches are judged by wins and losses.

They win, they’re brilliant! They lose, their job is reviewed. They lose too often, they’re fired.

That is reality.

• HardHabits says:

Geez dude. Line combos? Where’s the trade?

• JUST ME says:

Get over it man ! How can you say that management leaves something to be desired? Not that i am implying that improvement is not possible but you would not have done better so give them the credit they deserve and accept that things are made differently that you would like them to be.
      Those are lessons of life that you have the choice to learn philosophically or the hard way. Wise up.

• 24 Cups says:

Simply put, I believe it’s called shortening your bench near the end of the game. You go with your best and hottest players. I’m not taking a chance on a brain cramp by a rookie Dman or an offensively minded player who won’t pay the price in his own end.

That game was totally up in the air until the lucky bounce went in off Chara’s skate. If the Bruins score and tie it up on a Beaulieu or Briere gaffe, then the floodgates could have possibly opened up.

Therrien coached perfectly during the past 48 hours.

24.6 Cups

• Cal says:

That will blow up his calculator.
        Telling us how poorly MT coached is in the realm of ludicrous. Besides being shown how wrong he is when the Habs allow 1 goal in 2 games under the toughest pressure.
        Stat Weenie? For sure.

• CH Marshall says:

You make good points

• Ozmodiar says:

Ha Ha!!

• Cal says:

Yeah, tell us again how MT sucks. Ridiculous.

• johnnylarue says:

Steve, you make a lot of sense, but your timing… is awful.

• RetroMonkey says:

Do you have a Media Guide? I lost mine.

Bruins will win with ?? in nets.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Steve, you have your basic facts wrong on Thomas Vanek.

He wasn’t shoehorned on the right side immediately on the David Desharnais line, he actually played two or three games on the left with Tomas Plekanec and Brian Gionta. When they failed to produce and find chemistry, then he was switched to right wing on the Desharnais line.

Michel Therrien was quite open about his usage. He stated that he first met with him after the trade, asked him what he thought suited him best, what he preferred, and tried to accommodate him. When he felt he needed to make a change, he met with Thomas again, and explained his decision, and asked him to give right wing on David’s line a try.

Thomas Vanek said in interviews that’s essentially what happened, and that with the initial results with David and Max, he was fine with it.