Game 1 (audio): Canadiens fall in shootout

Robert Lang celebrates his first-period goal against the Sabres in Buffalo. More photos here.
Bill Wippert, NHLI via Getty Images

Sometimes scrambly, sometimes sensational. The Canadiens got their centennial season off to a thrilling start tonight in Buffalo before falling 2-1 in a shootout.

The Sabres’ Ales Kotalik and Drew Stafford scored on identical deke backhands on Canadiens goalie Carey Price, while Habs’ Robert Lang missed on a deke and Saku Koivu lost the puck attempting a move on Sabres goalie Ryan Miller

POSTGAME AUDIO:   Price  Koivu  Komisarek  Lang

Lang, a free-agent signing during the offseason, scored his first goal as a Canadien on a hard wrister to give Montreal a 1-0 first-period lead, but that was erased by Tomas Vanek, who corralled a neutral-zone puck that bounced over the stick of Habs defenceman Mike Komisarek and swept in to slide one past Price. The netminders were the story the rest of the way, Price earning the game’s first star for Montreal and Miller playing brilliantly for the Sabres, especially in the overtime with the Canadiens swarming all around him. Buffalo outshot Montreal 36-28; the Canadiens killed six penalties but went 0-for-5 with a man advantage.

The Habs dodged two – in fact, three – bullets in the third period, Steve Bégin taking tripping and slashing penalties on the same shift, and Guillaume Latendresse called for interference with 4:40 left in regulation.

The Canadiens were to leave immediately after the game for Toronto, where they’ll face the Maple Leafs in a Hockey Night in Canada Original Six game on Saturday. The Habs will finish off their three-game road swing on Monday in Philadelphia vs. the Flyers before returning home for their home opener Wednesday vs. Boston.

1. projectpete19 says:

he is being bashed because he is on the second line. you can not say with a straight face he belongs on the 2nd line. he should be on the 3rd line at the hightest, possibly the 4th.

watch the game again and everytime lats touched the puck (when he could actually take a pass and keep control) and imagine what pacman could have done with it.

bottom line lats should absolutely not be on the 2nd line, id rather have lats and little tits switch places until higgy is healthy

2. New says:

I hope you’re right. They were off for a few days and everyone seemed a half step off. I don’t think they will settle a bit until after the Phoenix game. If Price and Halek play the same style, maybe earlier.

3. New says:

I myself don’t care for PB. When the pressure is on I think he makes bad decisions. But I didn’t see anything wrong with his game last night. What did he do?

4. New says:

Lucky bounce for the Sabres on the turnover at the line, and then skill. That is a fore check.

5. New says:

Yeah Tanguay looks really nervous. I think you’re being rough on O’Byrne and generous to Lats. Although I did think he did go to the net once because he mistook the “It’s Miller time” phrase. Once he saw his mistake he got out back to the boards.

6. twocents says:

It’s tough to be airtight 4 on 4.

7. jimbo says:

If you drop the regulation point,then you would have teams in overtime doing absolutely nothing(risk wise) to make sure they secure their point.The current format is for the fans

8. Kristopher7 says:

I agree bidds, I saw Lats getting some nice hits off and winning foot races too.. it made me question myself “wow, is that Lats?” Not sure why the usual Lats assault is being unleashed…

9. gumper says:

I just got home from the game. Damn that border crossing is brutal. Anyway, just a couple of observations. The ice seemed really bad tonight. The puck was bouncing all over the place. At the start of the third, players were unable to complete passes because the surface was semi-frozen and the puck was getting mired down. For a team that plays a puck-control game like the Habs, this sort of surface is deadly. Secondly, the Habs seemed like the slower team, and they ended up chasing the Sabres all night because they weren’t winning faceoffs. At least that was my impression. Didn’t see the stats. I agree with those who found fault with O’Byrne and Latendresse’s game. O”Byrne in particular looked awkward and ineffective. I hope to see a better game from the team in Toronto tomorrow. Tired now…..time for bed.

10. HABZ24 says:

disappointing loss. was it me or did tanguay look drunk out there.losing pucks in his feet,passes to no where, ok one decent pass in o.t. and wow i was lil leary of the lang pick up but seeing him play tonight, geez what a fluid skater,so smooth ala paul cafe.and soft hands and a sniper to boot.dandy had a clear shot and passes to no one.still early. once the chemistry of who plays better with who is set, well be fn dangerous.and markov just gets better, what a gunn on the power play. go habs go.

11. Kaptain K says:

good game all around, a couple points
    a) Breezer who i tried to forgive, once again proved why he SHOULDN’T be on this team….
    b) Guillaume, whom ive also tried to forgive this year, ALSO looked bad
    c) Begin, i love your personality, but theres no point for you to do anything when theres no beef yet….
    d) Price was (other than the shootout) was pretty sharp, but i saw a bunch of saves that were more luck than anything else, but he was FAST
    e) overall = The habs played solidly, more control than the sabers and looked like a team good enough to hold its own in the playoffs

We ride together
    We die together
    Habs Fans for Life!

12. Tom S. says:

At the risk of getting hate-mail, I think we should keep the following players out of the lineup: O’Byrne (can’t skate – should have gone to power skating school with Lats – or handle the puck, goes down when checking a player much smaller than he), Brisebois (explanation not needed), Begin (all heart, but takes way too many needless penalties). I can’t believe that there aren’t young guns on the farm who couldn’t do better than those guys. The errors those guys commit are too frequent and it’s clear that they won’t get any better.

13. Xtrahabsfan says:

Yo bidds55,totally agree with you on Lats,he’s going to have a great year this year and then all those hookers with p.h.d.’s will bash someone else,lol

14. The Teacher says:

Realistically, the game would end before 10 mins of 4 on 4 given the state of reffing these days. If not then, surely the 3 on 3 would solve matters. If not a tie is FINE. The NHL had ties for for the longest time. Ties reward two good efforts and that’s fine also. Ties weren’t the problem, the overtimne format was.

15. Tom S. says:

Too bad we lost but we get a point, so that’s cool. As for those who hate the shootout, there are no other options, really, as the regular season’s already too long. Someone else mentioned it earlier, ties are lame, and the poorer teams (read: the Laffs) would play for the tie against a more skilled team (read: the Habs), leading to boring, close-checking hockey. I would agree to 2-10 mins periods – 4 on 4 for the 1st, 3 on 3 for the 2nd -if the regular season were say, 72 games long. As it is, these athletes play nearly 100 games per season before they even make the playoffs. Those who make it to the finals could conceivably play another 28 games – not counting overtime. IMO, that’s too many if we expect the kind of exciting hockey during the season and post-season. Besides, to those who hate the shootout, how do you feel when, late in a game – say the last few seconds, a player gets a breakaway and scores to end the game? The shooter against the goalie, one on one, is the most exciting play in hockey.

16. tony d says:

Hello all
    just got back half hour ago from Buffalo…. some observations…. our boys looked a lil nervous and their play felt like an exhibition game (still searching, hesitant, never quite in sync)
    Overall I’d give them a B for effort.
    2 guys who were predictable tonight and by that I mean, BAD!! Good ol Brisebois (I lost count on the turnovers and giveaways) and Latendresse who is still lost out there and does not deserve to be on that line. He’s a 4th line AVERAGE player at best… I hope Higgins heals quick cause even though he lacked finish a lot last year, he still has way more puck smarts than Lats.
    Once the boys settle down and develop some chemistry, I think things will gel nicely.
    Let’s hope they bring their A game to the ACC
    Go Habs Go

17. bidds55 says:

will the Lats bashing never end? Did anybody notice he was actually winning foot races? And hitting? And…..now people are bashing him for being in front of the net – now that is moronic.

Overall, the Habs played ok. First game of the season, I’ll take 1 point. Asuming the beat the Laffs, and get at least one point out of the Flyers, they’ll be off to a good start heading home.
    ______________
    For anyone interested, there is an awesome hockey card show at Centre Pierre Charbonneau in Montreal Oct 24, 25, 26 (the weekend of the HIO summit). I have no affiliation with it, but I’ll be there, as will Carey Price, Andrei & Sergei Kostitsyn and more!

18. The Cat says:

Not getting the hate on Brisebois, it was Komisarek and Markov who looked like the 3 stooges on Buffalos goal.

19. The Cat says:

I never liked the acquisition of Tanguay either. Hes too flaky and not hardnosed enough (like we needed more of that). I hope Im proven wrong though. And I hope Pacioretty comes up soon. He has to be the best player Ive ever seen get sent down to the minors.

I thought defensively we played a good game, but the transition to offence was not very crisp.

Possession broke down very quickly in the offensive end. Our 4th line kept the puck deep at times with their aggressive for check, but had no finish.

Last year, we lived on the power play but it was not there in Buffalo.

All in all, we played a decent defensive road game and we were only worth 1 point.

I think the offence will have a little more jump to-night in Toronto.

Once all the kids get a little more seasoning in the first half of this year, we will be on top in January.

You are not together as a team mate if you dump on Brisbois,just for something to say. There are great reasons why he is on our team, one of them is LOYALTY

22. Bash says:

Noteables….

Lats………… D+ (But did throw a few hits and went to the net more)
    O’Byrne……… D- (Made one good play)
    Brisbois…….. D- (Took some good hits)
    Lang………… A (Better than we hoped)
    Sergei………. B+ (In the game!)

TANGUAY……… F (Huge disappointment, Carbo cut his ice time)

23. Robert L says:

The Canucks tribute to Luc Bourdon, featuring Tom Cochrane and the real HNIC song.

24. JB_15 says:

I couldnt agree with you more.

25. twocents says:

Teacher, I am not sold on the shootout but I think adding potentially another 20 min is too much over the season. I don’t know what the solution is but, I don’t want to return to having ties after regulation. I hate 3rd periods where teams are clearly playing for them. If they just do away with the point for a regulation tie and then have ten minutes of OT 4 on 4(for all the marbles, no shootout), at the end of that I could live with a tie. I think you would not see teams playing the 3rd trying to hold a tie and it would be hard to play a 4 on 4 for ten minutes conservatively. Again though, are we asking too much from the players who are sometimes playing the next night? At the very least drop the shootout and do not reward a point for regulation ties and play the current 5 min. OT.

26. twocents says:

Patience is in order for O’Byrne. He made mistakes but he also made several good plays. Hopefully, as the season progresses, we’ll see more of the latter and less of the former. He basically has only had half a season in the bigs. There is a reason he is playing with Hamrlik and its not because he is playing better than Gorges.

27. Gary320 says:

In the age where marketing is more important.. its probbaly the best thing for the game.. I love it.. I understand why others hate it but I love it.. its just really exiciting to watch. I would not make it 0 points for losing in shootout thats a terrible idea.. if your going to make OT only 5 minutes than if u lose in OT.. it should be 0 points but if you go in SHOOTOUT than that should be 1 pt.. Either way.. I dont care what it is, I just DO NOT want ot see a TIE. I hate ties.
    _____________________________________________

My Montreal Canadiens (2008/09) Video

28. Scott says:

Tough loss tonight for our season-opener.

It was a good game by both teams, but the outcome was not the one I expected nor hoped for. We beat them in five of eight games last season, and they have already upped us by one this year. Each goalie looked excellent for their respective teams, as they each made the stops when they had to down the stretch.

In the shootout, Koivu easily had Ryan Miller beat with his dangles, but the puck just slipped away from him.

All I can say is that at least we got the single point for losing in a shootout, and we have to move on and look to tomorrow night vs the Toronto Maple Leafs
    - – - – - – - – - -
    The drive for 25…

29. StillattheMapes says:

Dave. One of the truly great party and music places of Montreal in its day, and the bane of all local lower Pte Claire (Lakeshore Road) residents in its prime. I just had so much fun there for so many years, as we all did. And we saw it all, and the very best bands….

30. lefreak says:

it is hard to make a save like that with both defenders compromised. Price played a great game, if you blame this loss on him you sound like the french press. Trade them all!!!!!.

I thought this team looked good, when they sync they will be relentless.

31. boy from school says:

O’Byrne made that diving poke-check on that three on one. just saying.

32. The Teacher says:

Shootouts suck. It makes a mockery of the game.

Do the damn ice after regulation and then play 2 10 minute periods if neccessary one at 4 on 4 and the 2nd 3 on 3.

I hate shootouts. Giving a team 0 points for losing in shootout is NOT a good idea. Why play a game then? Just play a 50 man shootout that last 3 hours.

33. twocents says:

One more observation: Rivet looked bigger on the ice than he did with us but, his sketchy passing was just like old times. So often he misses the tape.

34. CHsam says:

Lentendresse. Lento. Molto Lento. E poi ha niente nel skills department. Excuse my poor italian.

35. Gary320 says:

I love.. just LOVE the shootout. It changes everything from a game.. and makes wins sweeter and loses bitter. They should NOT.. NOT NOT CHANGE IT. Its the best thing the league has done since coming back.. I would only change the point system. Tie is boring.. You need a WINNER. Ties is for pee-wee hockey.
    ____________________________________________

My Montreal Canadiens (2008/09) Video

36. mitin_patel says:

Lats cant handle anyyyyyy of the passes he received from saku or alex!!! and begin…damn it this man needs to be benched….i rather see kyle out there

37. BIG-D says:

It takes an American to ruin “Canada’s Game”. NO OVER-TIME. NO SHOOTOUT.
    Win, loss or tie. That’s it.

Well Gary just as well finish what U started. Take away the Goalie pads, give him a pair of Heavy Duty Shin Guurds, a Broom Ball Stick & make the nets 12 inches higer & wider….. Then U will get your 20 goals a game…

38. nightmare_49 says:

Hamilton 3 – Manitoba 1. Marc Denis stopped 29 shots for the victory as Glumac and Lehoux scored and Stewart added an empty netter. Yannick Weber had 4 shots.

39. Bugs says:

Hey, tons’o'positives from tonight besides the single point:
    If Lang keeps this up, he’ll have 82 goals at the end of the year! (C’mon, work with me)
    The Priceberg was solid as a…well…as an iceberg, I guess. Except for the part at the end though. (Is it the home team who decides who shoots first in the barrage? Think so. GUY! When you’re at home, always shoot first!)
    Gorgeous Gorges looks to be in splendid form. The Byrne was moving EXCEPTIONALLY well out there; his puck control should be next on the item-list…
    Sergei’s gettin’ into the groove. Koivu looked full of pep, picked a lot of pockets tonight, especially in the offensive zone.
    Marky was there. The Hamr was there.
    Just a few more dashes of chemistry and coordination?
    And we’ll tear this bloody league asunder.
    Peace Out.
    ______________________________________________________
    Lord Bugs Potter, esq. Earl of Fluppitburg, Baron of Flopshlupshire and Knight of the Flannel Republic.

40. habs R my team says:

Begin should not be on this team. He continuously takes bad penalties. Guess he didn’t learn his lesson from the bad penalty he took in the playoffs last year that cost us a game. And O’Byrne and Brisecrap looked horrible. And where is our PP? 0-5! We better get the PP going, because you know we can’t score 5 on 5, and as usual we gave up over 30 shots, 36 to be exact. That’s way too many. Our D has to tighten up, but that will be hard considering Brisecrap is in the lineup.

41. 100HABS says:

The game was entertaining and Price did well. We got one point on the road. Nothing to write home about, but nice to at least Lang do well. Looking forward to kicking Make Believes butt tomorrow!

’tis the season to be jolly

42. Dave Stubbs says:

The Mapes! Now there’s a blast from the past!

Dave Stubbs

Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette

43. StillattheMapes says:

Breezer made at least two major mistakes — that I could see in 10 minutes — and they were covered up (he is so very weak on the stick, nothing on the body at all) and then he made one great pass which was imaginative. So, I just flush him…….. and no incentives.

Yup, I am harsh. But that is what I do. End. Right now.

44. BIG-D says:

I’m not a Toronto Fan.

I’m just giving my 2 cents on what I saw tonight.

No need to get like that.

45. BIG-D says:

It was a bad bouce.

BUT

Goalies, always keep your stick on the ice……..

46. twocents says:

Bummer!

I thought Markov was our best skater by a bit, he played a very strong game. He looks like he is winding up for the type of year I am hoping for from him. He seems to be adjusting to the trigger role very nicely on the PP. Our best forward was Sergei, good to see him come out of the blocks so well, a very complete player. Lang looked good too and Hamrlik was solid all night. Koivu and Tanguay looked rusty and out of sync but there is something there that might really blossom. Koivu got better as the night went on.
    It’s so frustrating that Brisebois looks so underwhelming in the defensive zone and looks savvy in the offensive end, sometimes on the same shift?

47. Bugs says:

If Tanguay DOES score 15 goals, do you promise to go back to Toronto, to your brethren of talent evaluaters over there?
    Cuz…Ouch.
    I’m NOT gonna mark those words, ok BigD? Is that cool? You forgive me if I don’t?
    Peace Out.
    ______________________________________________________

48. StillattheMapes says:

Ok, a point (good), and not a really great game. Now I will be in TO for a meal with my family, thankfully, mostly former West-Islanders. This also has more serious scope and scale. Look, there are several bets, and, well, just do not lose…………

49. BIG-D says:

It goes to show how a bad goal decides a game. Price, I love U but that goal between the legs was weak, very weak.

Koivu needs a piece of plywood to control the puck……

I hope this is not a sign of things to come….

Mark my words, Tanguay will not score 15 goals this year….

50. habsfor25 says:

begin and lats were both useless and breezer can join that lsit to … Overall great game both goalies played solid.. Carey looked great out there too bad we couldn’t finish it in the shootout

51. Kristopher7 says:

Really awesome game, was watching from home on RDS.
    Lats was impressive, although his line wasn’t stellar in the chemistry department.
    Lang was just really, really amazing. Man that guy is sick, it’s gonna be a great season.
    Also the goalies were walls tonight guys…. like both teams had good chances and the Habs had some pretty amazing chances themselves.. but no finishes.
    Really great passing and movement.
    Powerplay was weak.. not much going on but I assume Markov has to get used to it.
    Penalty killing was solid… Begin’s double was pretty dumb but oh well the PK unit did a great job.
    Overall the team is REALLY fun to watch and there is growing chemistry. Add in the injured players to the roster and we’re gonna have an exciting season.
    1 point is better than 0, let’s get 2 off of TO tomorrow :D

52. Bugs says:

A little adaptation period, a little rust in the joints, a little bit of miscommunication, a little mistep here and there, a little lack of finish and we STILL come out with a point!
    Wait’ll we start firing on all cylinders, baby.
    Then we’ll see what’s what.
    This game? All for the drama, baby. To lull our adversaries into a false sense of security. After that? BLAMMO, SOCKO, POW!
    CATAPUUUUULTS!
    Fire!!!
    139 points fersure.
    FER. SURE!
    Baby.
    Peace Out.
    ______________________________________________________

53. TC says:

Random thoughts on tonight’s game from the Canadiens Blog on the Hockey News website.

Habs Suffer From the Opening Night Jitters in Buffalo

T.C.
    tc.denault@habsworld.net

54. Gary320 says:

I really don’t like LAtendresse with Tanguay and Koivu.. really did not work.. you basically had two guys who did the same thing and one who just waited infront of the net.. SO MANY sweet passes from 13 and 11.. btu 84 is in La La LAnd.. I really didnt like him tonight.

Lang was by far THE BEST player of the night (Excluding Price).. Always there.. great passes and great shots.. him and SKOS were awesome together IMO.

__________________________________________

My Montreal Canadiens (2008/09) Video

55. Big Bird says:

That video you made is pretty good. Nicely done Gary.

56. Habstilidie says:

Well, I’ve slept on it, and the bitter pill of defeat didn’t taste as bad this morning! It was a well played game by both teams considering there was little to no chemistry on either side. I saw strides of magic with Lang though. The whole team was skating well, but not together. Just a couple more games together to find “our” stride and we’ll be there. When we were on, we looked dangerous as hell. Miller and Price stole the show tonight, as they should have. I don’t usually bash players, cause i love them all, but Begin really needs to stop with these useless penalties. He completely ruined our 3rd period mojo, which resulted in us having to use the shootout. Looking forward to tonights Original Six matchup, clean the slate, and take those laffs down a notch! Go Habs Go, Drive For 25 Baby!!!

57. TC says:

Random Thoughts on last night’s game from the Canadiens Blog on the Hockey News website.

Habs Suffer From the Opening Night Jitters in Buffalo

T.C.
    tc.denault@habsworld.net

58. sholi2000.com says:

No it will be Carey :)

sholi2000.com
    God Bless Our Infantry
    2PPCLI

59. sholi2000.com says:

Funny game to watch, and I mean funny as in haha and not as in a clown funny. Carey Price was the only reason the Canadiens didn’s lose in regulation, but hey, that’s stating the obvious. :)

sholi2000.com
    God Bless Our Infantry
    2PPCLI

60. New says:

35 shots or so. Most from good scoring position. Naw. Just luck. He and Halek are going to be pretty experienced by the end of the season.

61. JB_15 says:

What a surprise.
    Steve Begin takes another stupid penalty.
    How long is Carbo going to let this go on for?
    Two years ago, last game of the season, that idiot takes a penalty after the whistle, leafs PP, game over, eliminated from playoffs..
    Last year, cost us the game in the playoffs.
    Right back where he left off.

Get this goon out of montreal.

62. New says:

If you remember how Carbo played, well the fourth line is like that. So he will have a soft spot for players that remind him of how he played and kind of overlook the fact Lapierre, Begin, and Dandy, hurt him. He has other lines that give away the puck, so he sees the fourth getting the puck as a positive. He doesn’t see that they have no one to give the puck to once they get it because their possession was based on flooding the area behind the net leaving three other players between them and their D. He forgets that they do not have his other skills.

We are all guilty of seeing what we want to see sometimes.

63. The Cat says:

I agree about Hamrlik. Komisarek and Markov are good, but our number one defenseman is Hamrlik by a mile. If theres an MVP on the habs, its him.

64. HabsFansince49 says:

Fairly enjoyable game – would be better if we won. Perhaps it is an early wake up call – we just can’t show up and expect to win. Worse, you can’t blame bad ice – Buffalo played on the same surface.
    Good signs:
    Lang – up and down, looks good
    Sergi K – fast & determined
    Price (solid – SO’s are crap shoots, so…)
    Koivu (skated well – needs help on line)
    Markov (unlucky on goal he fell down on)
    Hammer – solid D
    Not so good signs:
    Begin – totally selfish needless penalties. Tripped our momentum.
    Tanguay – was he in the line-up?
    Kovy – below average for him; too many give aways.
    Lats – a few good hits a good game does not make

Now on to Toronto…and a win!

65. Woah_Dana says:

I didn’t get to watch last night’s game as it wasn’t televised for me (which is odd, as I’m 30 minutes north of the border from Buffalo), but based on what I heard on the online stream it sounded like Lang played very well & that Sergei was working rapidly & energetically. Also sounded like some big saves in there..

We’ll take it tonight.
    We have to, I have a bet with a co-worker & want free lunch when I return from holidays ;)
    Not to mention.. nothing tastes sweeter then defeating the Laffs. Maybe I’m old school, but it is what it is.

GO HABS!

66. habsguy says:

Lets all jump on Breezer, after all wasn’t it him who gave the puck away just outside the blueline on the Sabres goal, and wasn’t it him who went sliding past the puck, the net, and the Sabre player who scored !!!!!!!!!!!
    Come on guys, it’s getting old !!!!!

67. madmat411 says:

hey, still 81 games to go lol i was really impressed by Lang. He really picked it up since last year. I think he will be a very affective asset to the team. We’ll cream the laffs tonight. GO HABS GO!

68. nigel-ski says:

I haven’t read all the posts to see if this has been noted, but Lang was acquired via trade, not free agency. A tough one to lose, but with luck, we’ll smoke the laughs tonight with a barrage of goals. Have I mentioned how much I hate the Leafs this season?? Well, I couldn’t even look at the front page of yesterday’s Toronto Sun–the headline read, “Start the Parade.”
    More like, stop the insanity. Yeah, I got the sardonic nature of the headline, but that didn’t stop the annoying desire to go out and crush the life from a hapless Leaf fan upon reading. So, when I’m at my buddy’s tonight watching the game, surrounded by a half dozen or more (semi-retarded(did I say semi?!?)) Leaf fans, and I don’t post here for a while, you’ll understand why.

Go Habs Go!! Golf Leafs Golf!! It’s never too early to groom the greens for the blue and white…

Habs rule, Leafs drool…

69. habs R my team says:

here’s the good news: Begin and Brisecrap will be gone after this season. And I strongly believe that Chipchurra will replace Begin, who has the mentality of a moron, before the season is out. I mean, c’mon, taking 2 penalties on the same sequence in a 10 second span? How stupid can you be? He killed all the momentum and took away any chance of the habs winning. He also did the same thing in a PLAYOFF GAME LAST YEAR, THAT ACTUALLY COST US A GAME, AND DID THE SAME THING 2 YEARS AGO, LAST GAME OF THE SEASON, THAT COST US MAKING THE PLAYOFFS! Here’s my view. Brisecrap, Begin, and Lats are all french, playing lousy, yet on the team. Chipchurra, Weber, and Pacioretty, all english, playing much better, yet off the team. Make sense? Only in Quebec, where your last name dictates who plays and who doesn’t. I’m sick of it. moving to Vancouver, where language isn’t an issue.

70. Drive_For_25 says:

If you think that he deserved both of those penalties, I don’t think he’s the stupid one, he barely deserved the first one.

71. habsguy says:

you should take your first sentence, “here’s the good news” and move it move it to the end so it would read “here’s the good news” “I’m sick of it. moving to Vancouver”

72. Tom S. says:

I understand your frustration. I get mad at those players too, but I doubt it has anything to do with their ethnicity.
    PS: Weber isn’t English, he’s Swiss.

73. habsfan reduxit says:

… Robert Lang: what a refreshing guy with a refreshing attitude.

… Saku and Mike K have learned their “Montreal lesson” well. Listen to their postgame clips with the media. They took the by now, all too familiar route of apologising for the game. And now Carey P. has picked up on that in his short time here too.

… but they would all do well to listen to the Robert Lang clip; listen to what he says and more importantly, how he sounds. He’s not apologising; he’s telling it like it is/was – the team did all right … considering. It was the first game of the season fer Gawd’s sake! And they only lost in the shootout.

… how much longer are we supposed to expect the Habs to be superhuman? And then when they aren’t, we expect them to grovel like some incompetent slaves who haven’t succeeded to our unreasonable expectations. Enough is enough. Let these guys play hockey and enjoy it. As fans, our role is to watch the game and enjoy it, but we can’t if they don’t.

74. New says:

Lang is so cool.
    This team is better for having him in the room.

75. T-roy West says:

If we had one player like tom the bomb on eack of our lines to get in front of the net then we might be successful in the playoffs. I think its kinda cocky for Begin to take both of those stupid penalties considering the supposed depth in our organization because you would think players would try to play their best in fears of losing their jobs. I can understand that the ice was choppy but what was Latendresse’s excuse for failing to stop and control at least six passes. You should have that ability at the nhl level. When Lats really wants to play hard and throw his weight around and cause havok in the crease then he is effective. That should be his m.o., nothing else.

76. kyosuke says:

good grief, check wings lost against the predicted “worst team” leafs..
    habs lost against ranked 17th sabres..
    It’s only the first game, it’ll pick up soon. There still seems to be a conflict in chemistry in the line ups and I agree Lats doesn’t and never deserved to be in the 2nd line! the third at most or even the 4th line or none at all! haha

btw, this was taken a few weeks ago..

**There’s been a lot of talk in Montreal about how Pacioretty’s emergence may cost Guillaume Latendresse his spot, and Latendresse responded Wednesday with his first goal of the pre-season.

“If I lost my spot, it would be because somebody’s played better than me and I don’t think anyone has played that well to take my spot,” Latendresse said after the game. “But I had to play a good game because if I wasn’t playing at my top level it would open the door for other guys. I’m pretty confident with the way I’ve played since the start of camp.”**

When I see things like that it infuriates me; how can we keep such a garbage players that boast about his garbage goal, yes it was a garbage rebound! Unlike the two goals D’Agostini and the other two goals Pacioretty netted for us!

I’m sorry for being a Lats hater, but I’m only pointing it out for the sole reason that I love the Habs!

77. HKisses says:

I agree with you on some parts.i dont think Lats deserves to be playing with the Habs…Pac earned and deserves to be playin on that third line , i coudl se alot of good things happenong on that line if Pac was on it last night or even the Second line to fill Higgins spot for the time being…

78. gumper says:

T-roy. Have you listened to Koivu’s audio about the ice? It was brutal. I was there.

79. T-roy West says:

Ya, Gumper I listened to it but he does seem to miss a lot of easy passes none the less but I will leave him alone. It’s a long season.

80. New says:

No he is not stupid,and he works really hard. He just takes penalties at bad times. Consistently. Might be a case of a player giving it all but not being able to pace himself because “all” is needed just to keep up.

81. habs R my team says:

So I guess it’s just the refs who are stupid. I guess the refs were also stupid in every other game Begin got a penalty. Wake up and smell some brains.

82. New says:

Ok. I’ll try that.

83. HKisses says:

1st penalty was ok,,second was like 2 second delay after begin gave him a love tap on the leg then the guy fell = dive….

84. gumper says:

Thanks for that perspective 25. We really have to relax a little. It bothers me when people have to find individuals to blame. Thank God the players don’t do that to each other. I was sitting 10th row behind the net the Sabres had twice last night. I didn’t see many red jerseys at that end in the first period, and ended up watching most of that period on the score clock. That wasn’t Begin or Brisebois’ fault. In fact, the only lines with any sustained pressure in the first were the third and fourth lines. They were both working hard. I have to agree with you that the penalty calls on Begin were both weak. The first one, for sure, from 40 meters away was not a penalty. The second one was a bit of a slash but the Sabre player took a huge dive seconds after the infraction, and it was only after the dive that the ref’s arm went up. All in all it was not a gutsy effort by the team last night. I don’t think we should be jumping all over the players who *did* show some intestinal fortitude. Coach forgave Stevie as he was back out on the ice later. Maybe we could do the same.

85. Connecticut Man1 says:

Dagnabit!

I caught the end of the game when I realized you could watch it for free at NHL.com. You can watch the game against Toronto for free too.

86. CHsam says:

damn. I watched it for 3 bucks on RDS.ca … Oh well. Its pretty good quality on RDS

87. CHsam says:

We need Higgins back to move Lats off that Koivu-Tanguay line.

88. Cable Guy says:

Lats is friggin useless as always. Same move on Carey Price twice in a row in the shootout. ugh

89. Number31 says:

CAREY! CAREY! CAREY!

90. Big Bird says:

1 goal on 2 shots for us? (‘Buffalo outshot Montreal 36-2′)

Nicely done Les Boys. ;-)