Gallant, Jodoin join coaching staff; Development camp video

GallantX

The Canadiens have confirmed Thursday’s hottest rumour.
Gerard Gallant is joining Michel Therrien’s staff as an assistant coach, working with the team’s forwards..
Clément Jodoin, who coached the Hamilton Bulldogs last season, also is joining Michel Therrien’s staff as an eye in the sky, watching games from the pressbox and relaying info to the bench.

Pierre Groulx will be retained as the Canadiens goaltender coach. Therrien said he was pleased by Carey Price’s development and rapport with Groulx.

Therrien has one vacancy remaining on his staff: A coach who will work with the Canadiens defencemen.

The names of Larry Robinson and J.J. Daigneault have been bruited about.

Gallant, who has NHL experience as coach of the Columbus Blue Jackets, has guided the Saint John Sea Dogs to consecutive Memorial Cup appearances, winning the junior championship in 2011.
He has coached top Canadiens prospect Nathan Beaulieu for three years.
Name notwithstanding, the native of Summerside, P.E.I. does not speak French.

AUDIO: Gerard Gallant | Michel Therrien | Clement Jodoin

|VIDEO:

Nathan Beaulieu

Jarred Tinordi

Steven Quailer

•  •  •

Gallant began his telephone press conference by saying “Bonjour tout monde … that’s the extent of my French. It should get better over the next couple years.”

The Canadiens contacted Gallant eight days ago. He had been talking to two other NHL teams, but the Canadiens’ contract offer, which they made on Tuesday, sealed the deal.

Gallant said ghis coaching style and personality are similar to those of head coach Michel Therrien. They have not discussed Gallant’s specific coaching responsibilities.

Noting a high number of injuries as a possible reason for the Canadiens’ last-place finish, Gallant said “I think we’ll have a strong team and do some good things.”

After coaching 16- to 20-year-old players for three seasons in the Q, Gallant has gained an understanding of the psyches of young players.

“The game isn’t about yelling at them or skating them to death,” he said. Instead, the emphasis is on game preparation and optimizing players’ performance.

Aaron Portzline on Twitter: fans: Assistant coach Gerard Gallant has two known nicknames — Spuds and Turkey. He much prefers the former, by the way.

The team announcement on Gerard Gallant:

Montreal Canadiens Executive vice president and general manager, Marc Bergevin, announced today the appointment of Gerard Gallant as assistant coach.

A native of Summerside, P.E.I, Gerard Gallant was selected in the 6th round, 107th overall, by the Detroit Red Wings in the 1981 NHL Entry Draft. He would go on to play 11 seasons in the NHL, nine as a Red Wing from 1984 to 1993 and two more with the Tampa Bay Lightning from 1993 to 1995. Born on September 2, 1963, Gallant played 615 NHL games, scoring 211 goals and 480 points, and served 1,674 penalty minutes. He also took part in 58 playoff games recording 18 goals and 21 helpers along with 178 penalty minutes. Gallant enjoyed 70-point seasons on four occasions, including his most successful year in 1988-89 when he tallied 39 goals and 54 assists for a career high 93 points and 230 penalty minutes. In 1994-95, he also had short stints in the International Hockey League (IHL) with the Atlanta Knights and the Detroit Vipers.

Now 48, Gerard Gallant began his coaching career in 1995-96 with the Summerside Capitals of the Maritime Junior Hockey League (MJrHL) leading the team to the Royal Bank Cup in 1997. He would step down in 1998 to become an assistant coach with the Fort Wayne Komets in the IHL and on to the AHL Louisville Panthers in 1999-00. On July 18, 2000 he was hired as assistant coach with the new Columbus Blue Jackets franchise. He would be named head coach of the Jackets on June 2004 and lead the team until November 13, 2006. The following season, Gallant joined the New York Islanders organization as an assistant to Ted Nolan in 2007-08 and to Scott Gordon in 2008-09.

On April 24, 2009, Gallant was introduced as the new head coach of the Saint John Sea Dogs in the QMJHL. In his first season behind the Sea Dogs’ bench, he led his team to a franchise record 53 wins and 309 goals scored and earning the regular season title. He was named the QMJHL as well as the CHL Coach of the Year while taking the Sea Dogs to the President’s Cup final. Gallant’s second season, in 2010-11, was even more successful as his team tied a QMJHL record with 58 wins and repeated as the QMJHL and CHL Coach of the Year. The Sea Dogs won a second straight regular season championship and a President’s Cup before capturing the Memorial Cup becoming the first Atlantic Canadian team to win the trophy. In 2011-12, Gallant and his Sea Dogs earned yet another QMJHL title with a league-leading 50 wins, 15 losses and 3 shootout wins and a second consecutive trip to the Memorial Cup. Over three seasons at the helm of the Saint John Sea Dogs, Gallant’s record sits at an amazing 161 wins, 34 losses and 9 overtime/shootout losses. Furthermore, the Sea Dogs set a QMHJL record as they became the first team ever to have three consecutive 100-point seasons.

Gerard Gallant and his wife Pam, are the parents of two children.

1,270 Comments

1. Nina76 says:

some very good posts, interesting, forget Big Bird the damange has been done, as for all the draft picks & trades that have been discused on this site I think I shall just wait & see what developes.

2. Un Canadien errant says:

Some relative surprises in Bob McKenzie’s 2012 NHL Draft final rankings. His rankings deviate markedly from the NHL Central Scouting Services rankings, and other private scouting services rankings. Mr. McKenzie’s rankings are historically reliable, in that they are an average of many NHL scouts’ lists. This has the effect of eliminating outliers and giving a realistic picture of how these players are valued.

From a Montréal Canadiens fan’s amateur perspective, one unexpected ranking is how Alex Galchenyuk is ranked ‘only’ #5, and Mikhail Grigorenko is ranked way down at #12. Suddenly, Craig Button doesn’t look like he’s so far out in left field anymore. We’ve been obsessing over whether we’ll have a shot at Alex Galchenyuk, and have to ‘settle’ for Mikhail Grigorenko, since the conventional wisdom is that we need to draft a skilled player to fill a perennial need. A small minority think that Filip Forsberg is the better choice at #3, especially if both Nail Yakupov (#1) and Alex Galchenyuk are taken 1-2.

We’re faced with a good possibility that Alex Galchenyuk will be available at #3. If he’s there, it’s probably an easy call to make. If he’s gone, do we grab Mr. Grigorenko at #3, or maybe trade down a few spots and stockpile some assets and still scoop him up later on in Round 1? Heck, do we even want him? Even Radek Faksa has jumped ahead of him in the rankings.

Another thing that deflates my balloon is that my personal favourites to snag with the #33 pick, based on very little objective evidence, all seem likely to be gone by the time we get to the podium. Stefan Matteau is ranked #23, Mike Matheson at #26, even Martin Frk at #32. I guess the players who seem to have a lot of tools and promise are bound to be highly prized, and not just by me. I shouldn’t have gotten carried away and started to dream about players for the second round.

Meanwhile, grinder Colton Sissons is slotted at #33. I know this isn’t a mock draft, but I don’t want our team to grab a two-way player with limited scoring potential with this high a pick.

A final buzzkill is that aside from Mikhail Grigorenko and Martin Frk, two import players, there are no skaters from the LHJMQ in the Top 60 rankings. I know Gilles Courteau and a whole bunch of poobahs are working on the problem and have been holding summits and are promising changes, but this is ridiculous.

———————————
    In the very long view, it is important that kids growing up in Québec love the Canadiens and recognize themselves in the team, and a bit of the team in themselves. There must be a strong, visceral, emotional connection between the fans and leurs Glorieux.

• habstrinifan says:

I, like you, would be hesitant to pick Grigorenko at #3 if both Yakupov and Galchenyuk are gone.

I am beginning to believe the ‘best player’ tag placed on Yakupov and if Edmonton goes for Murray and Columbus (they are 2nd right) goes for Yakupov then we will have Galchenyuk.. or Columbus could go for Galchenyou or some other player and we would have Yakupov.

We stand a good chance getting one of them so I hope we dont trade up by losing a key player or a key pick.

I didnt see you mention Guance… I think e shold be in our radar as well as the oters you did mention.

Finally I am glad to see your comments re the Quebec league. I do hope the administrators of that league address the issue and lay of the ‘obligaton on the Canadiens angle, which they tend to fall back on.

3. rated_R says:

Man i get chills down my spine just thinking about MB announcing at the draft “…. from the Sarnia Stings, Alex Galchenyuk”

4. Marc10 says:

Alright, dead serious on this one. Absolutely not joking.

1 year – Jagr

Thoughts?

PP specialist, brought in to show Lars Eller and our #3 how a big man with skill plays the game.

Would love the feedback and will accept sledging. :-)

• Carta-Hab says:

I’m all for it. He has shown he can still play more than adequately given his age and would be a welcome to our younger players. I have seen stories about how much of a role modem he was to some of the younger players on the Flyers last year. He also has proven chemistry with Plekanec so on a one year deal (if the money isn’t ridiculous) there are much worse gambles.

Mike Milbury, Don Cherry, and PJ Stock….The three stooges of HNIC.

• Marc10 says:

That’s what surprised me. The reports out of Philly was that he blew everyone away with his commitment on and off the ice.

He’s slowed down some, but on the PP with Markov and PK… you could do a lot worse.

But the negotiations would be a pain… That goes without saying…

• habstrinifan says:

No thank you!

5. Captain aHab says:

The one thing I don’t want to see Bergevin do is a panic UFA move. Develop this team properly and stop picking up the contracts others want to dump. Please don’t overrpay for a guy like Parenteau…keep the cap room. As far as the draft pick and Bob Mackenzie, I still hope the Habs will take Grigorenko at 3 if Yakupov and Galchenyuk are both gone. Forsberg scares the crap out of me in a “we’re gonna get another 2nd liner” kinda way.

I wonder if they’ll move in the draft to try to get another 1st rounder for both of their second rounders.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

6. HabFanSince72 says:

Habs will take Forsberg.

You read it here first.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Captain aHab says:

I wonder if they’ll change his name to Philippe Forsebergue?

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• Un Canadien errant says:

It would go Phorssebeurgue, really.

• boing007 says:

No, but they’ll pronounce it that way. Which would be fine with me.

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

Forseberg is my pick, I know how much everyone here is dying for a centre and a big skilled #1 centre would fill a huge hole on the team but I still think Forsberg is the man. At the very least we need a forward. On the other hand one can perhaps dream a bit of an incredible defence a few years down the road if they take a Reinhart or a Murray to go along with Subban, Bealieu and Tinordi.

• habstrinifan says:

Hope not if either Galcheyuk or Yakupov available or even Murray. who I doubt will be.

7. habstrinifan says:

OK Mr Bergevin. Either Galchenyuk or Reinhart is ok with me. Either seems ‘ready’.

Roger Clemens has been found not guilty.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Exactly right. He has been found not guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, but he’s certainly not innocent.

9. Ozmodiar says:

Alex galchenyuk ‏@AGally94
    That awkward moment when the NHL draft is only 4 days away and you have no idea where your going . #2012NHLDraft #guessing

Dmitry Chesnokov ‏@dchesnokov
    @AGally94 learn French. Fast :)

I have followed these draft listings for the past eight years and can state that I think Bob McKenzie’s (scout based rankings) are some of the closest ones out there.

Here are McKenzie’s top 60 picks for 2012.

He has Grigorenko listed 12th while Galchenyuk comes in at #5. That pretty well does it for me.

The only real question is who will go 2nd. If it turns out to be Galchenyuk, then Montreal will be looking at Murray or Forsberg (assuming Yakupov goes first overall).

It really doesn’t matter which two teams select first or second, it’s really about the players and Montreal’s options.

For those, like Ed Lopaz, who were hoping for Matheson with Montreal’s 2nd overall pick, I think you might want to go back to the drawing board. I doubt he will still be around at #33. Other players who may well be available at #33 include, Frk, Samuelsson, Thrower, Kerdiles and Jankowski.

• habstrinifan says:

I like where McKenzie has Galchenyuk. If he is rated there by most teams I would grab him at 3 if he is available. Second rnd I hope the draft gets muddled and either Matheson or Guance is available when we draft.

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

Not surprised Forsberg is #3, the Habs need a forward and I hope he is their pick, I know Timmins has looked at him very carefully. I know us Hab fans are dying for a big talented centre but I just don’t think Grigorenko is the man.

11. habstrinifan says:

Maybe someone with ‘influence’ can email stu or mike or dave or someone to simply open up a new thread.

I think in the next few days before the drfat we should be throwing around UFA’s that HABS may go after. We can’t afford to sit still on the UFA MARKET nor go after an exorbitantly valued UFA but, especially in defence, we can grab two at a good price.

The name Michal Rozsival from Detroit for instance was a good candidate on someone’s list of 10ufa defense HABS may pursue…only trouble is he is not physicala enough and may want around 4 mill.

12. HabFab says:

Check out video on the Habs to your lower right.

13. habstrinifan says:

Dont know if anyone has mentioned Shane O’Brien UFA Colorado. He was one of the ufa’s from last year that I had hoped we would get. He signed a 1mill 1 yr contract with Colorado so he is again on the market.

He’s big, and physical and will fight. He has produced a surprising number of assists in his career for a non offensive Dman… could be something worth real considering. Drawback is he take slots of chintzy penalties.

Cap hit still around 1 mill. Dont think Colorado can keep him.

• HabFab says:

Apparently a party animal.

• habstrinifan says:

Yes he was in Vancouver but changed in Nashville and Colorado I think. Check out his stats.. not bad.. and he is really BIG AND FIGHTS too. His party-animal status has kept his price down but now’s the time to get him.. he may be getting to the right stag eof maturity.

• Un Canadien errant says:

trinifan, you doofus, I replied to one of your posts where you tout Sheldon Brookbank with my choice of Shane O’Brien. So yes, someone has mentioned him, and I concur, wanted him signed last year and do so again this year.

He’d be a good complement to our undersized defencemen. He’s a good teammate, everyone loved him in Vancouver except for the coaches, he had a problem where he thought the Roxy was his home away from home. He’s matured since then. At that price, he’s a perfect fit for our needs.

• Marc10 says:

And he’s not too expensive. That would fill one hole and suddenly we have three D who can hit and with Tinordi waiting in the wings… I like it.

14. Un Canadien errant says:

Does anybody have a link for a TSN stream? Not having any luck on my end.

15. frontenac1 says:

Wow! If true would Big Bird enjoy working for Buttman?

• habstrinifan says:

If true maybe even more probable Big Bird moves to Mtl. Or then again maybe Bettman ‘begs’ him to stay to give the team some stability and prestige.

16. Mr. Biter says:

Just reading on Fox Sports that the NHL is about to take over the Devils. Anyone else read/hear about this?

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

17. frontenac1 says:

Why is it taking so long to name the next assistant coach?Could it be that Big Birds contract with the devils expires on July 1 and Habs are waiting until then? I know,I know I’m livin”the dream,but ya never know.

18. habstrinifan says:

If Ryan Smith can be had for 3 to 3.5 would you bite… or is he too old and beat down. He plays a game which is hard on his body.

But he still scores very well and puts up assists too.

19. jols101 says:

Soooo, since none of our RFAs and UFAs have been signed yet, what does everyone think each RFA or UFA will get? A Poll if you will. Term and Salary. I will start :
    Price 6 years 6 million per
    Subban 4 years 4.5 million per
    Eller 3 years 2 million per
    Moen 3 years also 2 million per
    Staubitz 2 years 900k per
    Emelin 3 years 2.5 million per
    Diaz 3 years 1.0 million per
    Campoli and Darche – a kick in the ass on the way out the door
    (i hope)
    I know there are others, please feel free to add to list. What do you guys think?

• Mr. Biter says:

Maybe a little high for Moen and Staubitz (who I really like) but would probably sign for less otherwise otherwise not bad. Emilin scares me though (read post below regarding signing a big tough d-man to play/protect him. He had 2 seasons last year, before and after the Malone sneak attack. Don’t know which one will show up.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

20. ont fan says:

So I see Craig Button and Pierre Maguire are going to reveal their mock drafts tommorrow on TSN. I don’t think I’ll get a wink of sleep tonight.

21. habstrinifan says:

Seems many scoff when proposals for trades or acquisitions are made that would ‘significantly’ tweak the team to make a run for the playoffs. Crazy they say… this team is so weak..we have no talent.

I see it differently. HABS management has to tweak the current line up to ice a competively playoff bound team IN ORDER to use the assets we presently have.

Let’s list them.

Goaltending: Carey is now sufficiently enough of a ‘veteran’ that it is time that we ask him to become the ‘difference’ in the playoff.. while providing an improved defence to allow him to be.

Markov, if he is still Markov, wont be Markov much longer.

Gionta aint getting younger.

Cole wont be getting younger and rarely in the last 15 years have we had his type of ‘power forward’ drive in our line- Gauthier grabbed the brass ring here… lets take full advantage.

Subban is primed and ready for playing in pressure games… his development despite what some say, have been fairly meteoric. It is time to let him loose and still ask gritty defense of him.

We are drafting a top 3 player.. and like many teams we should be able to reap some bounce from his ‘youthful energy and skill’. Honestly when next do you think we would have as comprehensively good drafting positions as we do this year. We would have to royally suck to come close.

So I am not saying we give up the farm etc to make a big trade thinking we can win the CUP.

But we build a well balanced, tough, skilled, aggressively and competently coached team this year and take them into the post season with purpose.. not hope or expectation but purpose.

Tweaks we need and must make.

Two reasonably cheap big shutdwon D Men.. not 7 million dollar guys who portend to be ‘the answer in of themselves’ but capable and suitable pieces to our puzzle.

One point producer who we spend big money on if we can attract him. Either a goal scorer or someone who makes his line score goals.

One enforcer to complement any combination of the Staubitz; Blunden; White piece.

One real gritty workmanlike shutdown artist who can leads on and off the ice and can control a game.

Some real fearless and imaginative and yes combative coaching.

Of course the other KEY pieces who are young and still may have up to 5 years to make a mark must do that NOW in this scenario. Players like Pacs and Emelin and DD and yes Eller.

And we would also be asking of some players like Plekanec and Bourque and Moen that they up their games immediately.

I havent mentioned every important player. But we either plan a real rebuild with expectations of a five year process where we would, along the way, cast aside the Markovs and the Coles and the Giontas……. or we add the pieces which make us a competitive playoff team and go into the post season with purpose not just a hope and a prayer.

And who knows with the right changes we may even get Gomez to pot a few when it counts.

22. frontenac1 says:

Hey guys, what does it take to get the High Muckey Mucks at Hockey I/O to start another thread?I mean this is 4 days old and it is brutal on refresh for mobile devices!Hola!

• Ozmodiar says:

No kiddin’.

I swear Gallant’s stubble is getting a little bit thicker each time I come back to the page. Maybe my eyes are just playing tricks.

• habstrinifan says:

Agree! Wish everyday they would just add a one line post which says “Good morning!” and lest us take it from there. If news develop they can append or add other ‘daily threads’.

• GrimJim says:

Something NEW happening?
      Seriously, it is so dead around the Habs that Stubbs wrote an article about MaxPAc NOT starting skating…

23. commandant says:

Komisarek has regressed so far defensively that he is just as big a liability at the defensive end as Kaberle, if not more.

Offensively Kaberle is much, much, much better than Komisarek.

They both have 2 years left on their contracts, the cap hit is within $250K of each other with Komi having a bigger cap hit, but less real dollars owed to him.

Why would we bother?

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Un Canadien errant says:

My initial premise was that they were equally rotten, but that the modest strengths or Mike Komisarek’s game would be more of an advantage than those of Tomas Kaberle’s. I’ll accept that as putrid and despicable a player he is, Mike Komisarek is even worse, and will let the matter rest.

• ed lopaz says:

hey commandant, who would you rather have matheson or fournier?

I have Matheson way ahead.

here’s something I told Robert Rice (serious fan 09) over at allhabs.net

because he has us taking Fournier in the 3rd round.

I would take Culkin over Fournier!

bet not many scouts would agree with me, ay?

I like Culkin’s progression under Roy, and he’s only going to get more and more responsibility.

• Ozmodiar says:

I agree. As a matter of fact, I’d even add a ‘much’ or two.

Kaberle can play on the 2nd PP unit, and is insurance should Markov miss more time.

24. Habitant in Surrey says:

@UCe

Normand said: “I think if the Canucks can swap Roberto Luongo for Rick Nash, and we see him on a line with the Sedin brothers, we’ll see an amazing talent have a chance to blossom.”

…now We are talking the same language Normand. I was thinking the same thing. Nash & the Sedins would be marvellous
    …Luongo + something else for Nash …makes more sense than Kab for Komo, fer sure :)

• Un Canadien errant says:

Getting rid of Tomas Kaberle= Big win.

Adding a big defenceman who can clear the front of the net = Big win.

I’m Parker Lewis on this one. I really am.

Except for the part where Mike Komisarek is worse than Tomas Kaberle. Way, way worse apparently. Is that even possible?

As far as Rick Nash, if would be fun if Vancouver could cobble something to make it happen. If we have to watch Canucks games, we might as well see that trio in action.

25. habsfanforever7631 says:

So if we stay at third, we are guaranteed 1 of Galchenyuk/Yakupov/Grigorenko.
    Man, I really hope we could get Galchenyuk.
    But I have this bad feeling that Yakupov and Galchenyuk is going to go first and second!
    If Yakupov and Galchenyuk go 1 and 2 would you guys pick Grigorenco or Forsberg at third?

• Bill H says:

Grigorenko before Forsberg. We need elite scoring and that is him.

We have a very good pick at #3, no matter what. Of course, with a prospect, you never know. He might never play in the NHL. But all three have a lot of upside. Forsberg seems to have less offensive talent.

I too am hoping for Galyenchuk, but I think Columbus is going to take him. I’m going to hold my breath all week.

26. ed lopaz says:

answering the komisarek for kaberle trade offered below:

komi has not developed his pro game.

he can’t skate.

he can’t make a pass – only pass he can complete is D to D

he can not take the man in front of the net – poorly positions his body
    even though he’s 6’4 and 240.

he can not shoot or score – obviously.

he is a terrible fighter, absolutely terrible.

he has no value whatsoever.

and I used to be a fan when the Habs first brought him up.

but he has taken the salary and stopped improving his game.

he is absolutely terrible.

in fact, if he was 22 or 23 years old, and in Hamilton, his skills would not even get him a “sniff” of the NHL.

I can not stand Kaberle.

I would send Kaberle to Hamilton and pay his salary if I had to.

And still, Kaberle is way better, miles better, than Komisarek.

I would not make that trade.

Bouillon and O brien and every other d-man who is a UFA is better than Komisarek.

he is not tradeable unless milbury gets a gm position again.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Thanks Ed, I appreciate the comments. I’ve said before that I haven’t really paid attention to how well or poorly Mike Komisarek plays since he left Montréal, and assume he can’t be any worse than Tomas Kaberle, especially when the intangibles are factored in (Lord how I hate Mr. Kaberle’s devil-may-care expression, puffy red cheeks and downcast eyes when he gets scored on, which is often). I have to trust your evaluation of how truly badly Mr. Komisarek is playing. I kind of chose to disbelieve it when I heard it before, since no one can be worse than Tomas Kaberle, right? Surely Mike Komisarek could raise his level beyond that low bar?

• ed lopaz says:

kaberle has a knack for the power play – he has good instincts and makes good power play “decisions”.

if markov is healthy, let’s trade kaberle for a draft pick on friday.

that’s what I would do.

• TheDagger says:

He can so pass!! Remember a couple years ago when he put one on a tee for Cammalleri for a goal?

… oh wait…. they never played on the same team..

• Un Canadien errant says:

One more question Ed. You state that the only pass Mike Komisarek can complete is one across the ice to his D partner. That hits close to home, because that was my move. I’d get a hold of the puck and whisk it across to the other guy, who was invariably the puck mover out of the both of us, or I’d bang it off the boards up the ice. As other teams figured this out they’d cheat towards the boards on me, and then I’d hit someone streaking up the centre for a breakaway, but mostly I’d keep it simple.

Thing is, I was modestly effective when I kept it simple, stood in front of the net and doled out love taps to the opponents, and made sure to back off early and not get caught pinching when in the offensive zone.

Would this not work for Mike Komisarek if he was partnered with a slick puck mover? He digs the puck out of the corner, passes it off to a Diaz or St-Denis, or bangs it off the glass, and keeps the crease clear for Carey? Or would the other teams exploit this weakness to a greater degree than they already exploit Tomas Kaberle’s?

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I can’t see anyone else winning it

• 24moreCups says:

I’ve heard a lot people say Alfredsson should win it, especially since this might of been his last season and he deserves it.

I personally hope Pacioretty gets it, not just because he’s a Hab but I truly think he deserves it.

27. Un Canadien errant says:

Okay, I’m going to come back to this again, and expect to take a pounding, but I still don’t think it’s such a bad idea.

Whereas we have a surplus of small puck-moving defencemen that we probably won’t be able to trade for much, since they’re either unproven (Frédéric St-Denis, Raphaël Diaz, Yannick Weber) or vastly overpaid (Tomas Kaberle), and whereas we need a big body defenceman who can clear the crease and play with a bit of a nasty temper, let it be resolved that:

We trade Tomas Kaberle to Toronto in return for Mike Komisarek.

Reasoning:

1) Their contracts cancel out as they are essentially equal in length and monetarily.

2) We flip an asset we have too much of and can’t give away for one that we have a crying need for.

3) Mike Komisarek used to play here like he cared about winning, and Tomas Kaberle never has, over his entire career.

4) Mike Komisarek has been described to me as so awful right now that he’s a healthy scratch on the Toronto D, which is no small feat. I contend that in the right situation, with lowered expectations, and in a different system, with a proper goaltender behind him who can stop a puck once in a while and handle the puck to help clear his zone, his strengths will be a great improvement on our defence squad, and his weaknesses can be addressed with the right partner.

5) This trade allows us to buy the two years until our young D-men in Hamilton are ready, as opposed to getting in a bidding war for Jason Garrison or Bryan Allen, two defencemen who are in line for a huge payday despite modest skill.

6) Mike Komisarek had his best seasons in the NHL when partnered with Andrei Markov. Maybe we can recapture that chemistry they had, maybe their skills do complement each other well.

I really see this as a can’t lose situation.

Also, it allows us to hold on to the younger D-men who can still learn and improve, rather than Tomas Kaberle who is on the downslope of his career at 34 years old.

• Kooch7800 says:

Komi has not been the same since Lucic knocked him down quite a few pegs. I used to be a huge fan and agree he would help out physicality out but what if Markov doesn’t regain his form on the PP next year…..why might actually need Kabrele

• Un Canadien errant says:

I completely agree that he’s not the same player as before that beatdown and injury. I do think we’re trading a headache for another, but one that fits way better on our team.

The calculated risk we’re taking here is that Markov is healthy, and the young ones are a season better. Maybe Yannick Weber and Raphaël Diaz can provide the powerplay minutes that Tomas Kaberle did last season.

Again, lot of ifs, but I’m thinking that we need to dump at least one of these guys, why not deal the biggest buzzkill of them all and take a chance on a guy who was having a pretty good career here before he left.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…how about not having ANY ‘headaches’ on Our Team ?
          …Komosaurus is ‘spoiled goods’ in My books Normand
          …He ‘backing-up’ Markov ??? …Chara and Lucic would laugh their guts out
          …he is also none too bright …let Our young D not have him around is best
          …clear the cap with anybody but Kaberle and Komisarek

• Un Canadien errant says:

Hey, if the Canadiens can dump both he and Scott Gomez to the minors this year, I’m all for it, but I don’t see it happening. Despite my personal distaste for him, he’s not as irretrievably damaged an asset as Scott Gomez is. And so we’ll keep him on our roster, and probably dump Yannick Weber for next to nothing, and whine in two seasons when he becomes an effective puck-moving defenceman. Which is why I want to trade Mr. Kaberle for Mike Komisarek, who brings some tools we actually need.

• HabFab says:

Was thinking the exact same thing today…still undecided.

• Bripro says:

Funny… I suggested the same thing earlier this year, and the bullet-proof vest wasn’t enough.
      Aside from the occasional points Kaberlazy supplies on the PP, I would rather see MK back as well. At least his heart was always in hit, even if his play wasn’t.

I am indifferent to the trade UCe, but there is no way Toronto brings Kaberle back. I don’t think Kabs liked how Burke handled him there in T.O. and unlike the Habs who re-use coaches, I don’t see Burke doing it.

Burke’s ego also gets in the way, he would then be saying the Dman Ferguson left him with is better than the Dman Burke went out and bought as UFA.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, the piece of the puzzle I’m missing on this one is how frustrated are the Leafs and their fans with Mike Komisarek. It would need to be enough that they’re willing to do anything to get rid of him, and they would need to be amenable to repatriating Mr. Kaberle.

For example, I think we could be talked into taking Mike Cammalleri back, but not Mike Ribeiro. Maxim Lapierre peut-être, Andrei Kostitsyn jamais.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…hmmm, I think I as diametrically disagree with You on this one as I did when You wanted to trade PK Normand
      …with all due respect :)

• piper says:

I rather just send Kaberle to the minors

• habstrinifan says:

If Bergevin makes that trade, Kaberle for Komisarek, I wouldnt see it as a big risk nor a bad move. Based on the contracts comparison, the current ineffectiveness of both their games and the potential of filling a ‘big d’ need and allowing more playing/development time for one of our young mobile D as we fill Kaberle’s role.

But that’s where I would stop the experiment evaluation. If Komisarek does not come in and provide a reasonable level of stay at home reliability then I would judge him on his own merits as I determine how long a leash to give

Factors such as chemistry with Markov, Komisarek’s fighting skills etc would NOT ENTER into my thought pocess. It would be simply is Komisarek capable of using his siz, experience, and current skillset to be a steady stay at home plus defenceman eating approx 20 mins of ice time per game.

You havent added any cap dollars and have gotten rid of Kaberle. And you can then go out and sign a young tough D like Brookbank to complete your defence corps.

You only lose if you cloud/prolong the evluation of the trade with ‘chemistry’ or Markov partnership or insistence that Komisarek become a ‘fighter’. Plain and simple put a young guy in Kaberl’s spot and ask Komisarek to be a brown paper big NHL D-MAN.

• Un Canadien errant says:

trini, it looks like we agree on this one. I don’t refer anywhere to his fighting skills, it’s obvious that he’s not a great fighter, and his value on that level is low. He’s so big that few people would take him on, but the real heavyweights will ragdoll him. It’s not part of my thought process.

I also would add a free another free agent defenceman for a season or two to plug the leaks, the one I use in my plan is Shane O’Brien, but Mr. Brookbank also would work.

28. That's-Hockey says:

I’m not sure that I totally put my trust in this new Habs management that things will change drastically. I’ve been fooled too many times. as we all know talk is cheap and no one sells it better than the Montreal Canadiens brass. so I’ll just wait and see.

29. Un Canadien errant says:

I think it’s remarkable how trusted Bob McKenzie is in hockey circles. He’s a good broadcaster and communicator, writes well and explains his thoughts and opinions cogently. He doesn’t exaggerate or hype, he uses modifiers and conditionals liberally, so that he comes across as a temperate voice in an overheated marketplace.

The draft rankings he puts together every year is a great indication of the trust and credibility he holds in the NHL and hockey in general. We saw how guarded an organization can be around its draft planning with the Rick Dudley hire away from Toronto to Montréal, yet Mr. McKenzie manages to obtain the draft lists of numerous teams to put together his yearly ranking. That is all we need to know about his status in the league, and is why when I see a news source report that so-and-so is about to do this and that, I take it with a grain of salt and wait for confirmation, but when it’s Bob McKenzie reporting I sit up and take notice. The Claude Lapointe scoop he had was the latest example of how often he’s either right on the money, or quiet on an issue.

• HabFab says:

Amen to that! When I hear rumors in regards to Canadiens, I go and check two locations; canadiens.com and McKenizes twitter

• habstrinifan says:

I just go to Eklund. And then come and postthe rumour here and if it sticks.. then I’m good. I can’t help itt if they all fall through.

Juicy Lecavalier one coming up… and no McKenzie doesnt have it dont bother to go there.

• shiram says:

I like Renaud Lavoie too, but yea Mckenzie does seem quite reliable.

• Bripro says:

OK, so who the heck are you really….and how come you managed to steal Norm’s entitlement?
      He wouldn’t use an NFL football team’s avatar.
      And if he did, it would be the Patriots’.

But I agree with your logic, whoever you are.
      I listen to BM in the morning on TSN and although I think he’s talking through a tunnel, or laying in his tub, his reasoning is always pretty sound.

• HabFab says:

Brian you had posted another method of posting links, do you still have?

• Un Canadien errant says:

Actually Bri, I’m a big fan of the Chargers, from back in the Air Coryell days. Patriots I’m pretty much neutral on, like Tom Brady, dislike Bill Belichick and his “incorrect interpretation of the rules” Spygate.

30. Habitant in Surrey says:

……Paulina Gretzky …omg ! …mmmm

_________________________________________________________
    Michel Therrien ???: HIS’ new Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song; Morrissey/The Smiths ‘Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now’: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfkvPnjb9hs
    _________________________________________________________
    HIO’s BC Odd Couple: UCe, the supercilious stickler; and HIS, the stubbornly relentless ‘schismatist’ :)
    _________________________________________________________
    What I WANT ! is an aircraft carrier at centre and nuclear destroyers on each wing going to the net like bats out of Hell !, …NO MORE rubber duckies !!!
    _________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

31. j2w4habs25 says:

Rick Nash: The Blue Jackets want a big return, including a premium young prospect, a first-round draft pick and a couple of players who can play immediately. A premium young goalie prospect

I think the habs should try this out. The guy has a record of 30+ goals since he a rookie. But thats too much to give for him. Habs are out if i was GM

Carey Price #31

• commandant says:

He scores 30 goals, but with that asking price and a 7.8 million dollar cap hit for a 60-70 point player, I would be out too.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• shiram says:

Habs have no goalies to give, on top of Nash’s not so good cap hit, that’s also a no from me.

• EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

not a chance, he scored 59 points this year, his cap hit is obscene, and he has no experience in a big market.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Again, Rick Nash is more suited as a missing piece for an organization in contention for a Cup, that has a lot of depth and assets it can part with. We’re not that organization.

Rick Nash is a great talent but not a great fit on our team.

• Kooch7800 says:

I don’t think he is a great fit for many teams too be honest. A fair deal would be Pleks straight up for nash and the jackets would still win that trade cause of the contract. He is not an elite Winger that they are trying to make him out to be. His production is not of an elite player

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• Un Canadien errant says:

I think the Blue Jackets are doing a great job of trying to wring every gram of value out of that asset, even though they’re being held over the barrel by Mr. Nash and his agent. If Brian Burke could get the bounty he did for Tomas Kaberle out of the Bruins by holding on to him and drumming him up, then Scott Howson should do the same for Rick Nash, past the draft and July 1 and training camp and the trade deadline if need be.

32. HabFab says:

For the twitter followers, notice Holland and MacMillian giving Gallagher a razzing today.

• Ron says:

Interesting list of available toughness. I like Stabitz and believe he fit well in the Habs organization. Hope they resign him. Matt Carkner would be a good tough fight anyone Dman. He seemed to have a few injuries but he took no shit from anyone and never thought of the code when he knew action had to be taken as was shown with Boyle in this years playoffs. Most call it an attack but it was a statement being made.

• hansolo says:

About Fil:

We’ve read variously — on this blog — that:

a) he has elite skill, but needs to fill out to be the complete package
      b) he would be a good two-way player but isn’t elite level
      c) now (at least according to Hickey) he’s a power forward.

When the narrative about a player varies so much, it’s hard to know what to think. I’ve seen his weights listed variously at 176 lbs to 188 lbs. He might be 6′ 1” or 6′ 2″ (I’ve seen both heights) but 176 lbs, even at age 17, does not a power forward make, especially at that height.

He’s played on a second-tier men’s league in Sweden. He had less than 0.5 ppg. Part of me wonders if the hubbub about Fil isn’t just the Emperor’s new clothes.

I also don’t know what to think of Grigorenko. We hear he’s a (Russian) floater, but nowadays you seldom hear the one word without the other despite Datsyuk, Malkin, Kovalchuk and Voynov, just to mention a few names. Yet he scored at greater than a PPG (in the Q, to be sure) with St. Patrick as his coach. Does anyone seriously think St. Patrick would tolerate a floater on his team?

For myself, I haven’t seen these players play, I’m not a scout (nor do I play one on TV) and I didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I’ll just wait for Friday and hope Timmins hits a home run.

33. jedimyrmidon says:

Anyone think the Habs should try to sign Jagr? Good temporary solution IMO. Habs most likely won’t (or shouldn’t) have any forward prospects making the team out of camp.

• 123456 says:

WTH – it’s only money. He proved he can still play…. but I didn’t see enough Flyer games to see how he fit in (or would fit in) with Habs style.

34. Mr. Biter says:

June18th and no player signings. This is getting boring.

Mr. Biter

- Trade 12th for 15th + 2nd round pick
    - Trade 15th for 19th + 2nd round pick
    - Trade 19th for 23rd + 2nd round pick
    - Trade 23rd for 27th + 2nd round pick
    - Trade 27th for 32nd + 2rd round pick in ’13

36. jon514 says:

Can the HIO team just all go on vacation like this? Should we strike? I’ll meet you guys at downgoesbrown.com

37. Un Canadien errant says:

Ahem….

Presenting my new Gravatar.

I chose not to go with a Canadiens CH, as that would defeat the purpose I think.

Advantages of my new gravatar:

1) To my faithful and appreciative readers, you can now spot the highly distinctive image out of the morass of posts, and zero in on my pearls of wisdom. This will ensure you never miss out on any of my opinions and declarations.

2) To those who hurl bruised fruit, you can now spot the highly distinctive image out of the morass of posts, and avoid my infantile scribbles like the plague. This will ensure you never again have to cross paths with my online persona.

This is usually referred to as a win-win, or an LOL as I believe the kids call it.

• shiram says:

I like it, not the picture so much, but having a distinctive avatar is great.

• jmsheehy19 says:

I’ve already forgotten the old one UCE.

• Un Canadien errant says:

My prior avatar was a dead ringer for Tom Nickle. And John Bellyful. And nunacanadien.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Please tell me you’re not a Raiders fan…

• shiram says:

I find all things football, round or egg shaped, boring. I knew it was a football team’s logo.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I completely agree with you that soccer just blows.

———————————

38. Everyone’s talking about trading up for Yakupov at great expense. If Yakupov and Galchenyuk go first and second, and it’s more or less a toss-up between Forsberg and Grigorenko at that point, why not trade one spot down in exchange for a nice prospect?

We could actually do this more than once and really restock our larder. Imagine:

- Montreal sends 3rd overall to NYI for 4th overall and Nino Niederreiter, say.

- NYI picks a defenceman, leaving both our coveted centres available.

- Montreal then trades its 4th overall to Toronto for the 5th overall and Kadri, say.

- If Toronto picks one of our centres (say Grigorenko), we snap up Forsberg, Kadri and Niederreiter.

Am I crazy, or am I so sane you just blew your mind? : )

• TomNickle says:

The Habs wanting and needing an elite forward at the prospect level is one of the worst kept secrets in hockey.

Niederreiter and the #4 overall for the #3 overall? Only if they promise to let Peter Pan fall to us at #4.

• 123456 says:

crazxy – if the isles want a dman they will not have to “trade-up” to get him

• Cardiac says:

Exactly. We will most likely draft Forsberg or Grigs over Murray and Dumba.

- Jerry Maguire

39. ed lopaz says:

Tom,

a “re-build” in Montreal is out of the question.

its like asking the Yankees if they will re-build. They won’t.

Why? Glad you asked!!

There’s simply too much money being pumped into the team to allow a
    proper and complete re-build to take place.

Too many sponsors; too much revenue; too many expensive season tickets.

The collapse of last season is a 1 year “blip”, because Gauthier and Martin were given an opportunity to prove that their team could win without lights out, all world, stand on your head goaltending.

Gauthier and Martin are gone – thankfully!

But the pressure from the “suits” to win is enormous in this town.

The Habs generate hundreds of millions of revenue every season and that “money” dictates the quality of the team on the ice.

I’m sure I’m not telling you something you didn’t already know.

Just thought I would chime in with my 2 cents, nevertheless.

• TomNickle says:

I hope that the management team can find a way to sign the kind of defensemen we need for one or two year terms and that they can acquire a top line forward without trading away prospects or picks that are of premium value.

Highly doubtful though.

• ed lopaz says:

I would sign my man, Bouillon, in a heartbeat. He would take a 2 year deal at about 1.75 per; he earned 1.35 last year.

If not Cube, then I go after Shane Obrien, who is around the same money

That’s 1 d-man.

And I would stop there, assuming Markov is healthy.

You start the season with:

Markov, Subban, Gorges, Emelin, Bouillon (obrien), Kaberle

you have weber and diaz as 7 and 8 pushing Kaberle.

we have bourque at forward and gionta coming back from injury.

that’s the 2nd line wingers, is it not?

• TomNickle says:

Is that enough physicality on defense? I don’t think it is Ed. Emelin and your free agent would be the only players who could clear the dirty areas of the ice consistently.

Subban might show that he can this year but he hasn’t been successful with that so far and Gorges for all of his defensive prowess isn’t able to either.

• ed lopaz says:

if we can move kaberle, that would be great. then I would bring in both Cube and Obrien on 2 year deals.

if we have markov coming back we certainly should move kaberle for a draft pick this friday.

that’s what I would do. open up the 4.5 million in cap space.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Pretty much the way I see it Ed, except I’d go with O’Brien a head of Franky boy.

• Mr. Biter says:

I think we need to add a large. aggressive, physcial d-man to play with Emelin and to come to his aid after he lays out his thunderous hits. After the sneak attack by Malone he was not the same player. He was not as aggressive nor laid out as many big hits. We need someone to come between Emelin and another teams players looking for retribution after a clean hit to say through me first so it has to be a d-man.
            Staubitz cannot be on the ice all the time.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• Ron in Ottawa says:

You can’t be for real! Cube! Just because the habs re-signed Therrien as coach doesn’t mean we need to re-sign all our mistakes. Cube! i will always remember in my nightmares- Cube takes the puck at his own blue line, skates back behind the net, gives the puck up, shakes his head when they score another on us. Cube! Get Real.

• adamkennelly says:

How bout Deryk Engelland? Don’t think he would be too expensive…I like the idea of Sheldon Brookbank as well or trade for a Theo Peckham…or a Roman Polak…

• HardHabits says:

Winning is a right wing conspiracy. In the future, under a socialist government, there will be no winners. All teams will redistribute the Stanley Cup so that every team gets its name on the Cup.

• Cardiac says:

Yankees are a poor example. They sucked big time in the 80s and it was only through developing their young talent like Jeter, Posada, Andy Pettitte and Mariano Rivera.

Lessons learned: Draft well and develop well and you will be successful.

- Jerry Maguire

40. awesomerino says:

“Habs should trade Subban to move up in the draft”
    - Every Retarded Person With An Internet Connection

41. Cardiac says:

Bob McKenzie’s ranking to be televised tonight at 7:30 EST:

My question is why is Dumba being showcased before Grigorenko? Or even Forsberg?

- Jerry Maguire

42. Kooch7800 says:

Since we are hurting for a LW. Guillaume Latendresse is apparently healthy and if Minny is on the fence why not try and give him another shot. He wasn’t great when he was here but maybe he has matured. i believe he is a RFA but they are not going to make him a qualifying offer cause of his health. He could be a quick fix and if he plays like he did when he went to Minny scoring 25 goals we could use him. He is only 25

• Hobie Hansen says:

Too many bumps and bruises and ifs and buts….

• Kooch7800 says:

Yeah, I agree it is a risk….the current habs roster is just hurting in regards to LW’s and there is not a ton available. I was reading about Evander Kane and some of the crap his has pulled in the Peg. Seems like he is just a tad immature. Too bad he is a heck of a hockey player and would be worth looking at but the asking price would be high

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• Chuck says:

I’d have him back, but only under the condition that the Habs bury his paycheques under the blue paint in the crease to force him to go to the net.

___________________________________________________

43. jols101 says:

Holly Cow, I am sick of Gallant’s face already and it has only been 4 days. Great job Bergevin; hired a great front office and a great coaching staff, with the exception of Buffoon Therrien, but lets keep it moving. Sign someone for petes sake. Its not like the Habs have a shortage of RFA’s and UFA’s. Lets get some signings out of the way before the Draft, if for no other reason than to change the picture of Gallant on this site and give us devoted Hab fans something to talk about. Lol…

44. TomNickle says:

I sincerely hope that Marc Bergevin isn’t as confused as the members of HIO who believe that this team is one or two moves away from contention.

If you need to move out two of Diaz, Weber and Kaberle(I would agree with that) you do need to replace them with something of need. Which in the case of both available roster spots is probably two defensively and physically sound defensemen. So you’re either rolling the dice in the UFA market or trading valuable assets to acquire those pieces, also a roll of the dice.

In addition, you need to either revive Rene Bourque and add depth scoring to put alongside Lars Eller or acquire offensively skilled players via the trade market, again rolling the dice.

If you can’t fill those holes in one off-season you’re wasting a year of contract status and value for Gionta and Markov at the very least. Both of whom will only have one year remaining on their contracts at this time next year. With a first year coach in Michel Therrien you’re essentially leaving yourself a one year window with Markov and Gionta on your team. If you won’t contend for the Cup in year two you’ve wasted an opportunity to get young players for those two veterans.

So why not trade veterans who have value now, give yourself a larger window of opportunity for Cup contention and cap relief and flexibility moving forward?

Because you might be able to add some of the pieces you need to acquire in order to scratch and claw your way towards 8th place?

Yep, makes a lot of sense.

• commandant says:

I believe in building in baby steps.

I also believe that for young players, playoff experience is important to the development.

So grabbing 8th place, and losing in the first round isn’t a bad thing, in fact its a good thing to put players like Pacioretty and Emelin into the playoff environment. To give Subban, Eller, etc.. more playoff games. Maybe by playoff time one or two of the prospects is with the big club. And on and on.

Playing high pressure games in Montreal can only help the kids and there is value in that.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• TomNickle says:

I agree about the value of playoff games for young players. The only way to learn what it takes to win in the Spring is to play in those games.

Having said that, is it worth mortgaging future prospects and picks to get those players to the playoffs for ten games? I don’t believe that it is.

• commandant says:

No its a balance between keeping your core intact and maybe taking a flyer on some UFAs who can help add to that core.

If you could grab a Bryan Allen, why not? or a LW for Gio and Pleks.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• TomNickle says:

If I can assure myself beyond doubt that I can sign two physical and defensively capable defenseman, and in addition add a 20-30 goal threat that would move Bourque down to the third line, I would forget about a rebuild in a heartbeat.

Without that complete assurance, I rebuild.

Unfortunately, the draft comes before free agency and the risk is great.

• boing007 says:

Who’s going to centre this new left winger?

Richard R
            Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Markov ($5.75 mill/per season) has not proved he has recovered from a knee injury and there is no guarantee he ever will. Very difficult to move.

Kaberle ($4.25 mill/per season) Horrible defensively, overweight and numerous GMs and teams laughed at the Habs for signing him. Very difficult to move.

Gionta ($5mill/per season) Has the potential to score 30 goals but has a high price tag and teams would probably get scarred off because they’d be on the hook for another two full seasons.

Plekanec ($5mill/per season) Would definitely get attention from teams looking to solidify their number two spot at the center position but would leave the Habs with a huge hole up the middle.

• TomNickle says:

1. Markov returned to the lineup, proving that he is over the knee injury.

2. The Habs didn’t sign Kaberle, they traded for him. Numerous teams and GMs laughed at the Canadiens in fantasy land. But in reality only Jim Rutherford and maybe a couple of other GMs spoke publicly about the trade.

3. Two seasons of contract status isn’t exactly a long time Hobie.

4. Plekanec’s departure doesn’t create a big hole if you can’t compete for anything substantial in the first place.

• Kooch7800 says:

Only knock on Markov is he needs to get his confidence back and prove he is a player worthy of those dollars and ice time. He looked like a player who hadn’t played in two years when he was on the ice. I think once he gets a training camp in and a few games he will be hot the second half of the season. In Saying that if someone really wanted him for a run why not trade him as he isn’t getting any younger and this team is not a cup contendar. We do need a mentor for some young D men though and now that Gill is gone there is a void in leadership back there

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• Hobie Hansen says:

Markov didn’t prove squat last year, he was shaky at best.

And excuse me, when the Habs TRADED for Kaberle. What I meant was they agreed to take on that player/contract.

$5 mill tied up for two season isn’t anything to sneeze at.

And I guess our definition of a hole differs.

And remember, we’re talking about moving real players and real contracts. We’re not dealing with Tom’s fantasy land where everyone will be moved and Eller will score 80pts a year when the dust settles.

• TomNickle says:

Markov did not have an injury preventing him from playing in the season’s final games. Therefore he is over his previous injury.

• Hobie Hansen says:

In your opinion, I think most people would look at him and come to the conclusion that he can’t burst off that knee like he used to and he looked pretty timid skating into the corners on it.

Could that change next season…I sure hope so!

45. Dr.Rex says:

Which of the following scenerio’s would everyone be most pleased with this coming weekend?
    a) We stay put at number 3 and draft Galchenyuk if available and if he is not we draft Forsberg. No trades,
    b) We trade up to number one and give up our pick, Jarred TInordi and next years 2nd rounder. WE then select Yaks.
    c) Trade our pick to the Jets for Evander Kane.
    d) Stay at number three and select RYan Murray and also trade our 33rd pick and Morgan Ellis to BLues for Chris Stewart.
    e) Trade 3rd pick to Jets for number 9 and Zach Bogosian and then select Malcolm Subban.

• shiram says:

A, but replace Forsberg with Grigorenko

My support is with Shiram on this question. A and replace with Grigs.

• Ozmodiar says:

I also agree with Shiram, but replace Grigoreko with Forsberg. :)

• TomNickle says:

Forsberg would blend in perfectly with the collection of slightly above average players we have now.

Why draft an elite talent when you can settle for mediocrity?

• Ozmodiar says:

The scouts don’t seem to think this would be a bad move.

Why roll the dice when you can have a sure thing? :)

“The Scouts”

The perennially unnamed scouts who almost unanimously agree that Forsberg doesn’t have top line potential and agree that even with question marks that Yakupov, Galchenyuk, Grigorenko and Teravainen do.

Any examples of players to lace’em up in the Allsvenskan league with average offensive numbers who’ve been elite players at the NHL level?

Oliver Ekman Larsson is the only example I’m aware of, but he doesn’t really count since he was scoring at a better level than Forsberg and is a defenseman.

• Ozmodiar says:

Ah, yes. The Allsvenskan. I seem to recall you telling someone that wasn’t a men’s league. :lol:

I guess Berglund would be a comparable, although he’s still young.

• TomNickle says:

I said that the Allsvenskan league isn’t on par with major junior leagues in Canada or the AHL.

It’s a junior league to the Swedish Elite League. Not in the sense that it’s a junior(under 20) league, but that it is a step below the Swedish Elite League.

Patrick Berglund is a great example though. Hopefully for whoever takes Forsberg he absolutely explodes like Berglund did. Funny Berglund was a 25th overall pick and not in discussion for #3 overall.

Oh, and I hope we end up with a better player than Patrick Berglund at #3 overall. Since he’s yet to reach a point total north of 52 in the NHL in four seasons.

• Ozmodiar says:

A poster said – he’s playing against men.
            You said – no he isn’t.

Yes, I hope we land a better player than Berglund. I suspect Forsberg is just that. Based on his ranking, I’m guessing the scouts don’t just look at the stats.

• TomNickle says:

Leksand IF has two players born in the seventies. Nine players born in the nineties and fourteen players born in the eightees, eight of which were born later than ’85.

I’m sorry but I don’t consider that playing against men in the sense that he’s further developed as a result of playing in a professional league.

C

Because Forsberg shouldn’t be taken with a #3 pick in my opinion. Tinordi, a 2nd rounder and the #3 overall for the #1 overall is a ridiculously terrible package to part with considering the gap in between #1 and #3. Ryan Murray at #3 would be a tremendous miss step for the franchise and selecting Malcolm Subban at #9 overall with Carey Price on the team is another colossal error.

Option C because it’s the only one that makes any sense in my view.

• ont fan says:

F. Stay put at 3rd. draft Gal. if he’s gone Grigorenko

• pmaraw says:

OMG A! Forsberg ftw!

• Ozmodiar says:

A wins a tie-breaker over C based on likeliness.

46. IAMLEGEND says:

Not sure if this has been brought up here before but, would you consider getting rights to 1st overall pick from Edmonton for PK Subban?

Would you do it?

Grabovski- please get a decent haircut!

• 24moreCups says:

I’m pretty sure that has been brought up already and I personally wouldn’t do it. I think PK is part of the core of the Habs future and I’m happy with the 3rd pick and still think we’ll end up with a good player.

• Cal says:

Not a chance.

• Un Canadien errant says:

The only player I trade P.K. Subban for is Shea Weber.

47. neumann103 says:

Off topic but since only the hard core are online and this thread is entering its 4th day, what the heck.

One of my pools is a keeper league, mainly valuing offensive stats plus hit and shot blocks. Not a huge weighting for special teams stats (PP points and SH goals count formore but not much more)

I can only keep 2 Centers. Who do i keep, Toews or Tavares? My immediate reactionis Toews, but Tavares is no slouch and I don’t know what to think about the concussion

“Et le but!”

• TomNickle says:

Tavares has more talent coming his way, Toews doesn’t.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Don’t understand your problem. If you can keep two centres, why don’t you keep both?

• neumann103 says:

sorry, mistyped. Can only keep one center and I am choosing between these two (even though leaving my boy Tomas Plekanec off the short list kills me).

Tom’s point is my conundrum. Tavares has been the offense of the team and has made average players look better. If he gets better wingers, he will still be the heart of the offense but with better wingers.

Toews is – to my judgement- the better overall player but possibly not more valuable in the pool. He plays on a more loaded team and has to share more.

“Et le but!”

48. commandant says:

With Jackman off the market, Bryan Allen becomes a must sign.

Hopefully he was buddies with Erik Cole.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

49. CrazyForTheHabs says:

Help me understand…
    We have changed most of the coaching staff and mostly for the better I think. But we leave Pierre Groulx in place as goaltender coach. Why wouldn’t the Canadiens find someone with more experience and a proven track record of coaching top talent like Price? Jim Corsi (Buffalo) comes to mind, is no longer under contract and has coached some of the best in the NHL (Hasek & Miller)… what gives?

• TomNickle says:

Price is one of the best goalies in the league. Why screw with that?

• shiram says:

Price wanted to keep Groulx.
      Bergevin is moving forward with alot of Québecois, Groulx is Québecois, no need to change. Groulx also has done good with Price/Halak.

• CrazyForTheHabs says:

I get that and as a Montrealer fully understand. This is why I bring up Corsi, he played for the Nordiques, lives in Montreal and speaks English, French and Italian. Just thinking if you can bring it up a notch or two it would move Price from a good/great goaltender to a world class goaltender.

• shiram says:

There’s logic there, but there are good reasons to keep Groulx too.

• nunacanadien says:

I disagree, if Price is as good as people say, but hey the stats show him crumbling under pressure each time he’s faced it, except at the Bulldogs, perhaps youth and feeling among youth had lots to do with it. If Price is allowed to mature while he still crumbles, then no coach is good enough and we have a great player with no confidence, like the world’s best but with a huge mental complex that stops them from behaving that way when it counts……trade Price while you still can get good market rate, otherwise we’d need a psychiatrist, a wet nurse, mommy and a teddy bear and some nanny to help Carey….do we want to do all of that? Sounds like they were doing that under Gainey and it still cost us, and we all entered into the Halak/Price debate. Halak showed he had guts, which Price doesn’t have. No psychiatrist is gonna help him there…….

• The Dude says:

Bargaining with Price’s new contract starts with a comfort zone as far as new management must figure .

50. shiram says:

So with the Doom and Gloom club just posting below, I’d just like that say, I don’t see it as far-fetched for the Habs to make the playoffs next season, I would not guarantee it, but with the way the League operates, I definately could see it happen.
    Sure, rebuild, bring in and train the young guys, but if you can get them 4+ playoff games, that would be good too.

• TomNickle says:

Markov, Subban, Gorges, Emelin, Diaz, Kaberle, Weber.

What’s wrong with this picture?

Nothing that a small tweak can fix my friend.

• shiram says:

I’m just saying they could make the playoffs next year, with some small tweaks. Not be a beast of a contender, but at least secure the 8th spot.
        I like Gorges, Subban, Emelin and Markov, but it needs some more of a steady big D guy.
        In hindsight signing Hamr might not have been such a bad deal, he was not top notch anymore, but he could have done good in those years for rebuilding, they should have tried to deal Spacek instead.

• LizardKing12 says:

Our defense is a weakness that can be tweaked enough for the team to sneak into the playoffs but not to contend. That isn’t a problem though because we have a plethora of young talented dmen in the system.

In 3-4 years from now I fully expect the Habs d to be one of the best in the league if this new development staff does its job properly. The talent is in the system it is just a matter of properly grooming them.

Now, coming back to this season, a top 4 of Markov, Gorges, PK and Emelin is not the best but it has potential to be solid. Markov will be better than what we saw at the end of the season. His skating was very rusty but after playing very little in the last two years that is to be expected. His offensive awareness and puck handling were still excellent, if the rest of his body catches up he will be fine. PK should break out this year, he had a solid rookie, regressed a bit offensively in year two but improved his defensive game. He went from -8 to +9 and his avg ice time went up from 22 to 24 minutes. This third season could be where he puts it all together. Emelin was playing in his first NHL season, he looked solid but ran out of gas near the end. He will be better suited for the long schedule this year.

As for the bottom pairing, if a big physical presence like Allen is brought in that could make a big difference. Offensively Gionta hopefully won’t be hurt and he usually scores 20+ goals, Bourque was terrible with the habs and all though I don’t expect his work ethic to be better he should score 20+ goals as he usually does. If our young guys DD, Eller, Pacs and Leblanc continue to progress the offense should be better without bringing anyone in.

The habs don’t have a team that will contend for anything this year. In fact they may not even make the playoffs, but they will definitely be competing for that #8 spot. There is a lot of talented youth on the team and if they take a step forward, along with a tweak or two and a healthy Gionta/Markov we just might watch one round of playoff hockey next april!

• nunacanadien says:

We have some great players, and they have shown skill, but we crumble in our other lines. We have too many wimps. We need grinders/journeymen hockey players who don’t shine but who can put in their shift without giving away the farm. That is the problem with Montreal. Our team is full of wimps!

• Cal says:

Diaz and Weber. The Tiny Tot Brigade has got to go.

• Cal says:

TN and HH would rather see the team keep losing until they have seen 4 or 5 #1 picks come the Habs way. Look at how successful this strategy has been for Edmonton. They are awesome at losing now. 3 pieces of shit seasons in a row and going for 4.

• TomNickle says:

They have no balance in their organization, the Habs do. One or two years of waiting for prospects would serve this organization well.

Mortgaging the future for short term stop gaps has crushed the Sharks, how many Cups do they have?

• shiram says:

I’m hoping for steady improvement over the coming years, hopefully getting a steady HC, I don’t think Therrien will remain for the duration of his contract, and then compete for the Cup for a number of years based on our present youth.

51. adamkennelly says:

changes will be made around here. This is not EDM – no way our goals for this upcoming season are any less than making the playoffs and competing once there. Expectations will have to be realistic – but consider this – with a few small tweaks and some injury luck, its doable. At the same time I see one or more of Pleks, Gionta, Bourque, Kaberle, Markov being traded, Gomez being bought out and a lot more sandpaper added to this line up…Therrien and Gallant are not going to tolerate coaching a push over team.

• TomNickle says:

Markov, Subban, Gorges, Emelin, Diaz, Kaberle, Weber.

What’s wrong with this picture?

Nothing that a small tweak can fix my friend.

• adamkennelly says:

Subban, Gorges, Emelin are fine…assume we get a healthy Markov..keep one of the others, I prefer Diaz and add a big dude with an attitude problem..done…small tweak…I may be wrong but in my opinion if we become a tougher team to play against, it will result in more scoring for us and less time for our D-men to get pounded in our end. I really think the Habs small, pushover attitude was a big factor in contributing to losing all those games when leading etc…you simply cannot always let opponents dictate the type of game being played…

• TomNickle says:

Emelin and occasionally Subban are the only two who can clear traffic in front of Price.

Swapping out one body for another isn’t going to solve it.

• nunacanadien says:

I would imagine Emelin is damaged goods as has been shown. The league has written him off as a dirty player, and well pegged perhaps, as if you are tough man in the NHL they expect you to drop gloves….and we know Emelin can’t fight because of his broken face…..

• boing007 says:

Etta James agrees with you:

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

52. HFX-HabFan says:

The Blues have locked up Chris Stewart and now Barret Jackman (three year deal) before they hit the open market as UFAs.

With the Jackman signing, the price for guys like Bryan Allen or Bryce Salvador just went up…ugh.

• TomNickle says:

The chances that this team can get the help on defense it needs are slimming with each passing minute.

Not looking good for next season.

• HardHabits says:

The objective is simple. Win the Calder Cup this year or next. Draft high and often in the meantime.

That looks good to me.

• TomNickle says:

I sincerely hope that is the goal next season. This team can’t reasonably sign the help it needs for the top line and on defense through free agency. And doing so would be giving term and huge dollars to guys who aren’t worth it while holding back the professional prospects of Tinordi, Beaulieu, Gallagher, Leblanc and company.

The alternative in winning now would be to trade away big bounties for players. Players that are the future of the team.

So, you could purge the team of its veterans like Markov, Plekanec and Gionta and use the returns to build something special instead of something that might squeak into the playoffs.

We’re in agreement.

• HardHabits says:

I have a feeling Cal is going to object.

Hopefully the old way of squandering prospects for short term success AKA just making the play-offs is a thing of the past. Better to build slowly and have a team that can truly compete down the road.

The benefit of letting the kids win in the AHL is that they will bring that winning attitude up to the team when the make the Majors. It will only be a rough ride for a year or two more. After that the team can continue with harbouring a decent prospect pool while actually having depth on the big team.

Cal’s wet dream is perpetual mediocrity and fighting for that last play-off spot for eternity,

• TomNickle says:

I don’t have a problem with fighting for a playoff spot as long as the team is dangerous when it gets into the playoffs. Diaz, Weber and Kaberle aren’t manning a blue line together on a dangerous team.

53. zaq007 says:

Dreger reports that Jagr is testing free agency, we all know how well he plays with Pleky, could be a good fit but who knows

• habstrinifan says:

No No NO! Players like Jagr have an aggregate of a month of impressive games and their old brilliance and then simply take up roster spot/dollars for the rest of the season and the team is set back a bit in the long run. And Jagr was a non factor in the playoffs.

• nunacanadien says:

You could almost say the same for most of the habs…except some of them get paid in peanuts compared to Jagr…..so no wonder we have some wimpy 2nd, 3rd and fourth lines, our management by committee is too cheap to pay full price for real talent so we end up getting taken to the cleaners by a roster of very expensive but cheaply paid has been washed up wimps and equally wimpy rookies who don’t like fighting……..

• That's-Hockey says:

No more bandaid fixes, bring in some real players for the future

• songles says:

I think there’s a difference between a bandaid fix, like Kaberle, and a veteran journeyman who can produce and provide leadership for cheap and for a short and manageable time period. Jagr could certainly provide a short term shot in the arm on a line with disgruntled Pleks and a talented junior like Leblanc. He won’t take up much financial space and the fans will love him. Before you know it he’s gone and being replaced by folks like Brendan Gallagher and other young ones.

Recchi is a good example. He only played a couple of seasons for the Bruins in the twilight of his career, but he was absolutely essential to their cup run.

And the Habs don’t really have anyone like Jagr on the team. You watch him these days, and he sneaks around the offensive zone with that big frame of his, always with his head up and seemingly always in scoring position. A guy with that confidence and creativity would certainly inspire the young guys.

54. shiram says:

There were rumours of the Habs pursuing JJ Daigneault for a job, but JJ Daigneault denies having any contacts with Habs management.

55. TomNickle says:

The scout from McKeen’s who calls Filip Forsberg’s shot elite by NHL standards is on some heavy medication.

• Captain aHab says:

Or he’s on the Maple Laughs’ payroll….which may be one and the same.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

I am not a pro scout but I love Forsberg’s skill set and attitude, no one has ever accused him of being lazy. He is also one of the youngest guys in the draft and might take a little longer but I think he has enormous potential.

• Max says:

You don’t like Forsberg Tom?

• TomNickle says:

I like Forsberg plenty. But not with a #3 overall pick. And any scout that says he has an elite shot by NHL standards should be institutionalized.

• Max says:

Fair enough.It’ll be interesting to see how the players from this draft look 5 years down the road.

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

Who would you prefer with the #3 pick ? I seriously question Grigorenko’s heart, I think Galchenyuk has a great attitude but I always question whether someone’s knee is ever the same after major surgery and we don’t need another good young defence prospect although I guess you can never have too many. I assume Yakupov will be gone by then.

• TomNickle says:

This team has plenty of leadership at the prospect level, it doesn’t have an elite talent. I take Grigorenko over Forsberg or the defensemen based on that.

1. Yakupov
            2. Galchenyuk
            3. Grigorenko

Take the highest ranked one left at #3.

56. Old Bald Bird says:

Why does everyone always assume that if we trade Whomever we will have a gaping hole where Whomever used to play when there is every likliehood that we will get something in return for Whomever?

EXACTLY!

Until we have a Crosby or Toews on this team, everyone is replaceable.

Everyone.

• shiram says:

No, not Youppi, he does wear the jersey.

• habstrinifan says:

You went too far the other way. Although all players on our team are replaceable, there are players that if you trade them right now you would eb on the phone looking for that same type player the next day.. and as such when you take all things into consideration (needs/assets/prospects/team potential/team forward goals) some players NOW make the team better than their trade value.

• boing007 says:

What ever.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

57. The Dude says:

Wow ,you all argue bout Plecs like he’s a superstar,well …he’s not!Montreal needs a “SUPERSTAR”. And a last place team usually change’s the roster ,so buckle up!

58. commandant says:

Having strength down the middle is never a bad thing for a hockey team. Having three capable centres is a lot better than having two.

Why get rid of one just for the sake of getting rid of one?

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

59. habs001 says:

The habs struggled to score the last 3 years…right now i am sure we will have some new players on the team by the time the season starts but based on the roster today the scoring looks weaker than at the beginning of the previous 3 years….looks to me the habs will have to win many games where they score 2 or 3 goals only….

• Cal says:

All the best teams win games 2-1 and 3-2. Only 6 teams averaged more than 3 goals per game last season. Pitts with 282 or 3.44 GPG, Gooins with 269 or 3.28 GPG, Flyers with 264 or 3.22, Vancouver with 249 or 3.0365 and Ottawa with the same and Detroit with 248 or 3.0243.
      Of all these teams, none went past the 1st playoff round excepting the Flyers. The days of playing one dimensional offense-oriented hockey is dead unless the team plans on losing a lot.

• HardHabits says:

Yes but all those teams made the play-offs, unlike the Habs who made the draft lottery.

One dimensional offense-oriented hockey is still more fun to watch than one dimensional defence-oriented hockey.

• Cal says:

If you like a losing team, offense-oriented is the way to go. You would like it, HH. Perpetual Tanking™. It’s your wet dream.

• TomNickle says:

It would be better than change for the sake of change with no different of a result.

That is your wet dream Cal.

FIRE MARTIN, FIRE GAUTHIER, FIRE GAINEY!.

Keep everybody else!

• HardHabits says:

No Cal. My wet dream is provoking you enough to get this new account of yours banned. Just like I did with your old account.

Just kidding. I preferred you in your previous incarnation as you have toned down the rhetoric since. I guess getting burned that one time learned you.

• That's-Hockey says:

Myself I like the offence to be about 5 – 10% stronger than the defence
            LA just proved a combo of offence and defence is what wins. not to much defence or offence…

• boing007 says:

So that’s what the New NHL is really all about. Bummer.

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.