Gallagher skates, but won’t face Islanders

Brendan Gallagher joined his Canadiens teammates for Thursday’s morning skate in Brossard, but has not been cleared for contact after suffering a concussion in last Saturday’s game against the Philadelphia Flyers and won’t be in the lineup Thursday night against the New York Islanders (7:30 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN 690 Radio).

The Canadiens will be looking to extend their winning streak to six games and Carey Price will get his 13th start of the season in goal.

The lines for the morning skate were Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta; Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole; Galchenyuk-Eller-Prust; Moen-White-Armstrong. The defensive pairings were Markov-Emelin; Gorges-Diaz; Bouillon-Subban.

Tomas Kaberle and Yannick Weber will be the healthy scratches.

The New York Rangers will visit the Bell Centre on Saturday night and then the Canadiens will play 11 of their next 15 game on the road, starting Monday in Ottawa.

The Hamilton Bulldogs (19-25-6) will face the Rochester Americans (27-19-3) Friday at 7:30 p.m. at the Bell Centre.

Below are a few story links to keep you busy while we wait for the puck to drop Thursday night. Remember you can follow the game with Mike Boone’s live blog and our new Play-by-Play feature which keeps track of all the key stats on the fly, including shots, goals, hits, power plays, shots on goal, takeaways, faceoffs won, hits, power plays, giveaways, penalty minutes and saves.

Game Preview: Canadiens vs. Islanders

Character key to Canadiens’ resurgance, by Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.com

A whirlwind tour for backup goalie Robert Mayer, by Dave Stubbs

Muller making his mark behind Hurricanes bench, by Pat Hickey

NHL players stickhandling on Twitter, by Brenda Branswell

Former Hab Pouliot shining with Lightning, by Stu Cowan

A look at how The Great One lived in L.A., by Stu Cowan

1. twilighthours says:

Sigh, another salary argument. Here’s my position, since I know you’re all so keen on reading it:

if the salary doesn’t handcuff the team, prevent the team from getting better, or prevent the team from trading the player, then it’s not worth spending any thought on. Gorges is easily tradeable and many teams would line up for a chance at him.

I prefer to just enjoy watching the players play than worry about what they are saying in the media, what talk show they’ve been on, or how much they get paid.

2. theox_8 says:

Another comparable for a bit more money would be Anton Volchenkov

As it relates to Josh Gorges, here is Capgeeks comparables by contract.
    Name/Age/Team/Contract length start and finish of contract, caphit
    Gorges, Josh » 28 MTL 6 2012 2018 $3,900,000 $3,900,000 5.56% $0
    Quincey, Kyle » 27 DET 2 2012 2014 $3,550,000 $3,775,000 5.38% $125,000
    Enstrom, Tobias » 28 WIN 4 2009 2013 $4,500,000 $3,750,000 6.60% $150,000
    Orpik, Brooks » 32 PIT 6 2008 2014 $3,750,000 $3,750,000 6.61% $150,000
    Salo, Sami » 38 TBL 2 2012 2014 $4,000,000 $3,750,000 5.34% $150,000
    Johnson, Erik » 24 COL 4 2012 2016 $3,250,000 $3,750,000 5.34% $150,000

• Mattyleg says:

There aren’t many that I’d take from that list to replace Gorges.
      Marc Staal, maybe Erhoff, maybe Giordano, maybe Gleason…

No-one apart from Staal stands out.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Loonie says:

Now lets debate the merits of all the players who were pending UFAs when they got their contracts.

I’ll save the time, they’re all better than Gorges.

• Mattyleg says:

D’oh!!!
        (shakes fist)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• benji says:

Haha, you are so ridiculously far out to lunch if you think Gorges wouldn’t have gotten between $4 and 5 million on the open market. Filip freaking Kuba got $4 million. The Habs have Gorges at a solid market price, and probably a steal if you consider they could have let him test free agency. You’re arguing like a child who just refuses to look at perspectives other than what you’ve decided on.

• Loonie says:

If you had any literary ability you would see my acknowledgement of the other side.

The FACT that the majority of the above mentioned players are significantly more versatile than Gorges and yet have comparable salaries is a clear indication that he is in fact overpaid by this organization.

Have good day pup.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Nice info but now I have to take a couple of Advil after reading it…my eyes…

Now that there is a restaurant menu police in Quebec, how does one say Calamari en francais?

5. Lafleurguy says:

The Golden Rookie is the best Habs player with Belorussian ties, supplanting the Kostitsyn wiseguys, and the great Grabovski.

“May you live in interesting times.”

Live Blog in 11 minutes, who will be first….. the excitement builds.

7. adamkennelly says:

how long do we go on having Kaberle and Weber as healthy scratches every freakin game. Depth is one thing – although I would argue they are the same type of player – of which we already have one in our line-up – Diaz. I would love to find a Big D-man – who can skate everyday- shouldn’t be that hard.

8. krob1000 says:

Re the crease clearing dman concern …..
    most dmen now are taught to “front” their man in front…..gone are the days of multiple cross checks to the forwards lower back…now most coaches instruct dmen to get in front of the man in the crease, try to block the shot…and use you stick on stick from behind the man in front if a puck does squirt loose. THe other factor is how close they are supposed to call gaolie interference (the Ott Goal should not have counted). This is why there are more offensive dmen and smarter undersized dmen in the gmae now than there used to be. The big lumbering guys are slowly fading away even on D …a guy who is big, smart and can skate will always be coveted…but the game is passing the old style big dman by.

9. Lafleurguy says:

When Lars scored four against the Jets, his linemates were Andrei Kostitsyn and Travis Moen. The linemates had three assists apiece. Unlikely any one player will get a hat-trick this season, let alone four goals. This isn’t a bad thing because the team has balanced scoring, as one of the newbies posted a short while ago (sorry if I wrongly pegged you as a newbie, but I’m being a suckup to the in-crowd).

“May you live in interesting times.”

10. JayK-47 says:

I’m betting Cole bags 4 points tonight.

Not betting a lot mind you, maybe a $1 at 5-1 odds but still.

4 points! You heard it here first.

11. habsfan0 says:

Habs’ schedule for the coming week:
    Islanders,Rangers,Senators,Leafs.

As long as they humiliate the Laffs, I’ll be happy.

12. Sportfan says:

Gally skating is a reall good thing glad to hear that there is prgress!

For those who like video games check out my first article on a game I enjoy playing

13. Gormdog says:

Perfect example of the insane fandom in Quebec, and why it will be so hard for the Habs to NOT offer Desharnais a contract unless Leblanc is guaranteed a spot on the team:

I was talking to a client on the phone from small town Abitibi today, and he mentionned to me that he was looking forward to the Habs game tonight.

“3-1 pour les Canadiens, un but un passe pour Galchenyuk” I told him with confidence.

“5-1″ He replied, “Tour de chapeau pour Desharnais, il aurait fait plus tard mais esti de Therrien donne tout ces minutes a Eller quand c’est clair que Desharnais c’est le coeur et ame de cette equipe. Si Therrien lui donne un chance c’est clair qu’il va produire plus que tous nos centres”

Poutine coloured glasses!

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Separatists can’t do math…that’s why they don’t realize we’ll never separate.

• krob1000 says:

Yikes….I am not French but I think that reads ” Hat trick for Desharnais it took a while because Therrien gave his minutes to Eller when it is clear DD is the heart and soul of the team. If Therrien gives him a chance he’ll produce more than the other centres” ..Is that really approximately what this reads? Please correct so I can get the jist of it if I am incorrect.

• Gormdog says:

Exactly Krob… Don’t get me wrong, I really do like Desharnais (and I have my head in the sand of denial facing the lack of room for him down the road)…

But statement is so off base and language motivated that it hurts my anglophone soul.

I hope the concussion is not going to have long lasting negative impact on Gallager’s play. When back, it is not impossible that he will be more hesitant to engage physically and go into corners. Will his game suffer as a result?

• deuce6 says:

Meh, he suffered a concussion in Junior and he didn’t shy away..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

• Dunboyne Mike says:

HH pointed out that Gal will need to play smarter small-man hockey in the ugly parts of the ice, and pointed out that he’d have a good example to follow in Gionta.

• mark-ID says:

He has gotten a concussion before in junior, it didn’t effect his play. This case should be no different. No only that, but he was essentially feeling fine the next day, according to reports.

It appears as though Gallagher is a characted player, I can’t believe one minor setback will throw off his game.

Ahhh a good day on HI/O today, knock em down, drag em out fight over the merits or de-merits of one Josh Gorges.

Anyways, I am not sure this has been mentioned before, but what about getting a big rugged defenceman or a heavyweight forward who could fight?

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

For all those who think our defense is good enough watch again the video of Buffalo’s tying goal (which should not have counted):

Watch how Gorges “leadership” was effective in clearing the crease. These scenarios are going to happen again. I just don’t believe Gorges and Diaz are the answer to this.

• chanchilla says:

It’s not really a fight when Loonie is involved, he is right about everything no matter what it is, and everyone else is wrong. Any time he brings something up i think of germans denying the holocaust.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Isn’t this supposed to be a fun hockey blog site?…”germans denying the holocaust”…I think that is a little “over the top” and unfair…

16. greenfield says:

I’ve been a “new-be”on this blog for about a year now, but haven’t posted very often. I do enjoy my daily coffee and reading the insightful and entertaining comments tho.

I would like to respond to a previous comment inre: the Habs toughness. I’m concerned about the liberties some teams are taking when playing us, and it is only a matter of time before the Colton Orr’s of the league connect with the Tomas Plekaneck’s on our team. In our glory years we always had that “presence” in our line up. ie, Bouchard, Lupien, Chartraw etc. that were inserted when needed. This allowed our skilled guys to play their game. Boston gooned it up a couple years ago (Campbell vs Pyatt, Thorton vs Hamrlk), and the Leafs did the same a couple of weeks ago. We had no real response. Prust and White are middle weights. and take regular shifts as well.

With the disappointing start for the Panthers, I suggest George Parros is ripe for the taking. Wouldn’t cost us much, affordable salary, and you dress him when needed. Lets face it, he provides the same goal production as Moen and Armstrong, but would provide a much better physical option.

17. B says:

After being goal less in his 1st 10 games, Pacioretty now has a 2 game goal scoring streak going and 5 points in his last 3 games. Diaz has a point in 3 straight games now. Desharnais has played well lately and also has points in 3 straight games now.

Here’s hoping for more of that tonight.

–Go Habs Go!–

18. Propwash says:

Burke is back with the Ducks as a pro scout.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

19. mark-ID says:

So with Gallagher out for at least one more game, it looks like tonight is one more audition for MT to decide who sits next game. Either White or Armstrong. Hopefully White plays a stong game like Tuesday, and will be kept in.

• twilighthours says:

I’d sit Armstrong. Not because he’s been horrible (he hasn’t), just because the other 12 players are better.

• mark-ID says:

I could potentially see Moen going to the press box again too. He hasn’t been bringing much either. I’d prefer seeing Armstrong in the presser also though.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Armstrong. We don’t have anyone else that can take right-handed face-off so as long as White plays disciplined, Armstrong should be out.

20. Bripro says:

Did anyone watch the video link on Gretsky?
    Amazing how the haves live….
    Born with God-given ability, you’ll have the world by the tail.
    Time to go. I have to take my 3-year old grandson to have his skates sharpened.
    He’s mad at me for forcing him to do the 200 laps this morning.
    But I keep telling him, it’ll pay off in the long run.
    Even if he turns out to be a smurf.

• Say Ash says:

You have grandkids – you have a lot, too.

• 123456 says:

I coach and have had a parent talk about NHL for their child.

“Ummm Mrs. (so and so). He is 7. Let’s work on the basics and see how far he can go this year”. I just did not want to break her heart. At 7 you never really know if any player can make it to the professional level of any sport, on the flip-side there are some you can safely identify as having no chance.

I’m hoping my son can captain the Habs in 20 years, at that point Gionta will no longer be the shortest Hab captain in history!! And my son will be the second from the Rochester, NY area!!

• Loonie says:

I used to attend the regional under 17 camps and got a kick out of the expressions on parents faces when Steve Larmer told them that it would be a minor miracle if any of the players attending played a game of professional hockey.

• 123456 says:

I hear ya, the dad of my “best” kid told me his aspirations for his son were to have fun and be a good beer league player when he grows up.

• Bripro says:

I coached for 12 years, and was league director locally for 7.
            Amazing at the insanity and unrealistic aspirations of some kids’ parents.
            The kids were fine. They just wanted to play.
            The best kids I ever coached were my two nephews who later played and befriended Corey Crawford.
            He never lost a game in PeeWee AA.
            I’d have to sit the parents down and make them understand that out of our regional hockey association, with 7,000 kids, maybe (BIG MAYBE), ONE will make it.
            But the worse parents were the house league parents. They’d call me at home at all hours because they didn’t like this coach, or their kids weren’t given the correct amount of ice time, given “their amazing abilities”.
            That’s why I gave up. I’ll stick to doing one-on-one with my grandson.
            I’ll be so upset if he doesn’t make it. I can see it already. He’s that diamond in the rough….. never mind.

• Strummer says:

When my son played bantam the coach gave each family a copy of an article about the odds of their kid playing pro.
          At the time for a kid in Ontario minor hockey it was something like 1 in 300,00 for any birth year.
          Quite an eye-opener

______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• frontenac1 says:

I coached for 7yrs from Pee-Wee up to 3yrs of Midget. Midget was the best because the Kids and parents knew by then they weren’t going anywhere. Granted it was a pretty crazy rural league but by Midget it was all about having some good old fun.

• Old Bald Bird says:

I once heard a podcast, maybe a TED Talk, that used Gretzky as an example. It focused on his dedication and practice as a kid. He lived and breathed hockey, and they could hardly get him off the ice. The theory was that it takes 10 000 hours to make a genius in a given pursuit and that Gretzky put in the time.

21. HabFanSince72 says:

Is Theo Peckerham on the team yet?

22. Steeltown Hab says:

The lineup is solid IMO. Hopefully the trap game won’t get the better of this team. When Gallagher is back do you move him with DD n Pacioretty, or Eller n Galchenyuk?

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

23. bleedhabs81 says:

Just for fun:

Galchenyuk has 10 pts and is +9
    Ovechkin has 10 pts and is -6

24. Mattyleg says:

Okay Loon,
    I’ve got a couple comments/questions for ya regarding your last few posts:

1) You say that Gorges doesn’t have ‘elite skill’. What in God’s green, green cricket pitch does that bizarre and undefinable statement even mean?! No ‘elite skill’. So he won’t be on the All-Star ‘Elite Skillzzzz Competition (sponsoredbygatornikeduracelltrojan)’?

You do understand that skills can also be mental, and that the number one skill that defensemen need to possess is the ability to read and break up/neutralise attacks? Blocking shots is one way of doing this, but more importanty, positioning and anticipation of play is the most invaluable asset in a defenseman’s aresnal. These are not things that will appear on stats sheets, nor will make their way into any kind of Sick Skilzzzzz competition.

Josh Gorges has the latter in multiples of 1,000, and anyone who doesn’t see him as one of the top players on our team lacks a basic understanding of the game. There is no team in the NHL who wouldn’t give us the sun and the moon for him.

b) Where does Luongo fit in in your goalie ranking? He was incredible with Florida, who had ZERO defense, allowing 30+ shots on him per night, but wilted when he got in with a better d-corps. This is just a question, not a critique of your system.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• krob1000 says:

Brian O’reilly..you are Gorges Dad too? ol just kidding

• Loonie says:

Okay Matty,

I’ll bite even though I seem to lack a basic understanding of hockey.

How many good to elite teams have great leaders who happen to specialize in blocking shots signed to six year contracts worth just under $24 million?

Gorges brings excellent defensive ability and leadership. He isn’t above average in the physicality department and brings a first pass that requires his target to be within ten feet or a full zone of open ice for anything longer.

We have him for the long haul. And it isn’t a matter of him not being an all-star, it’s a matter of him being easily replaceable on the ice. Prust is being lauded for his leadership and it only took a four year deal to get him as a UFA. So I would argue that Gorges’ leadership is also replaceable.

In my opinion your evaluation of him is proof that he’s easily the most overrated player on this team because many share your view of him.

Gorges is valuable, but not six years at $4 million a piece valuable.

Bouillon’s a better player.

Edit: Though there are significant differences in their contracts I’d like to add that Gomez was seen as a positive from a leadership perspective and had less years remaining on his contract when he was acquired that Gorges has left on the deal that WE signed him to. Gorges doesn’t bring much more to the table than our former #91 did.

• Gerry H says:

I think you’re undervaluing the leadership piece, Tom, especially with the team concept that Therrien and Bergevin are building to good effect. That the team would place a plugger like Josh near the centre of their future plans makes a ton of sense to me in that context.

I also think that reducing Gorges’s game to shot-blocking is a little unfair. He plays smart and tenacious D, which is very hard to quantify, I’ll grant.

• Loonie says:

Brian Gionta, Tomas Plekanec, Erik Cole, Brandon Prust, Travis Moen, Andrei Markov, Francis Bouillon.

I think we’re okay in the leadership department both with and without Gorges.

• Mattyleg says:

Okay, I take back the basic understanding of hockey thing. I was being unnecessarily inflammatory. Sorry.

I think we’re lucky that the NHL brain-trust doesn’t place monetary value on solid stay-at-home defensemen. Gorges hits hard, but also doesn’t take himself out of the play with his hits like Emelin, Subban, and even Bouillon does.

As someone said on here with reference to PK, as soon as you get rid of Gorges, you have to find someone to replace the number one shot blocker in the league last year.

I’m only speculating here, but I can imagine that there are very very few NHL forwards (and point-men) who relish playing against Gorges.

Overrated? Last season, he finished first in +/- with +14, on a last place team, with the second most ToI. The only other defenseman with positive stats in this column was PK. I’m not totally in love with stats, but that says something to me about ‘overrated’ players.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Loonie says:

Again. He isn’t overrated from a player type standpoint, not by me anyway. He was overrated by Pierre Gauthier. Most teams are in fact fortunate that players of his type don’t cost more money but we aren’t one of them, because we had a GM stupid enough to give him a six year contract extension.

Way too much time invested in a player who I’m sorry, can be replaced at a less expensive cost.

And why are we in dire need of shot blockers with an elite goalie between the pipes?

• bwoar says:

“Most teams are in fact fortunate that players of his type don’t cost more money but we aren’t one of them, because we had a GM stupid enough to give him a six year contract extension.”

Amen! I think part of that 24 million is compensation for taking the one-year contract previously, though. In any case, there’s 6 million more on the table for Josh Gorges than he his actually worth.

“thoroughbred”

• HabFanSince72 says:

Gorges is neither as good as Matty claims (sun and moon?) nor as mediocre as Tom claims.

H I/O hyperbole.

• Loonie says:

What does he bring other than shot blocking, sound defensive positioning and leadership?

I understand that they’re three great qualities. But they happen to be qualities that can easily be found at a less expensive cost both monetarily and from a term commitment perspective.

This team committed $24 million and six years to a #5 or #6 defenseman who happens to be an excellent leader.

• HabFanSince72 says:

You answered your own question.

Top minutes on the PK last year by far and again this year. And our PK is one of the best. Also our best plus/minus among defencemen last year (and probably this year).

He’s a very good defensive defenceman. And a leader.

So he gets $3.9M instead of the $5-6M (e.g. Paul Martin) he would get if he also scored.

• JarryPark says:

He brings heart every game. This guy would die for his team. In that interview after the Leafs game, it look like he was going to cry. Very emotional about the loss. That is infectious…..they have not loss since…just a thought :)

• Mattyleg says:

I didn’t say OUR sun… perhaps a star in an uninhabited solar system.
        And a moon-pie.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

25. MacHabFan says:

Ole King Cole!

Cole needs to sit out a couple of games – he has not been very effective lately.

Mike Blunden can fill the spot. What is the story on Blunden?

• Loonie says:

While we’re benching players who haven’t been playing well lately let’s sit Markov, Desharnais and Bourque.

Or we could consider for a moment that the team’s on a five game winning streak and there isn’t a player in Hamilton or in the pressbox who makes the team better than Cole does.

There are too many new guys that have come in here at HIO and haven’t earned respect. It’s just frustrating to see all these new guys like that come in here and so much as think that they’re better than a lot of people. You have to earn respect in this blog. It takes a lot. You can’t just come in here as a newbie and post comments like that. It’s not the way to get respect from other members around the virtual discussion table.

Hopefully someone on the mod team addresses it, because, uh, I’m not saying I’m going to do it but something might happen to these new comers if they continue to be that cocky.

27. anotherhab says:

The Isles though dreadful at home are 4-3-1 on the road, we shouldn’t take them lightly. With all that being said I’d like to see about 5 goals tonight from the top team in the East!!!

“I find your lack of faith disturbing” Darth V

28. Twillingater says:

Is it illegal to install shock collars (like the ones used on dogs) to Hab players when they slack off?

\”Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing\”

29. Twillingater says:

I want our Habs to face the friggin Loafs in the playoffs this spring!

\”Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing\”

Does any body else notice that Subban plays mostly with either Markov or Bouillon? The speculation is that when playing with a veteran Subban plays a less dominant and more respectful role than if he played with another younger player where his instincts would take over and make him try to take control and do too much.

It’s all part of the making Subban a better person strategy.

Discuss!!!

31. commandant says:

Its probably best to rest Gallagher. Make sure he is 100% because I feel that he will be a part of this team for a long time.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

32. Gerry H says:

Reiterating a point I made just before the last thread closed:

One success factor we haven’t discussed much regarding this year’s edition is the balanced nature of their scoring. The Habs lead the league with 11 skaters averaging .5 ppg or better. That’s almost two thirds of the skating roster!

33. Ghosts of the Forum says:

You go to all the trouble of writing the longest post you’ve ever written and they go and post a new thread!! Gah! hahaha:

This is one of those dangerous games that they should win, but always a risk that the guard is down…

With the games Boston has in hand though, hopefully they are desperate tonight for what should be two points. Always fun to watch Tavares out there. Think he’s going to get stuck with Rick Nash syndrome though — amazing player on a perennially shitty team. Though they do have some young pieces.

Really surprised to hear people wanting to sign “big, tough” guys like McGratten et al. There’s a reason the rest of the league is passing them over….

No room in the game today for unidimensional players. Whether they are unidimensional PP specialists (a la Kaberle) or scrappers, there just isn’t space to have a guy on the bench that can’t contribute minutes. If you can find a big, intimidating fighter who can contribute, like Chris Neil, then sign him by all means. But they are rare.

Signing a scrapper for the sake of having one (which really, reading the insights of the people asking for one, seems to be more about their own wounded sense of masculinity and desire to have bragging rights. I’ve yet to see one compelling argument for how having a (unidimensional) scrapper actually helps win games)

For every team with a bunch of bruisers (Boston), you can name teams that have been successful without one (LA).

I really doubt that having McGratten or Peckham in the lineup would’ve meant we wouldn’t have lost in game 7 OT to the big, bad Bruins — the fact that the series went to game 7 OT, and was decided on a fluky deflection off Halpern should be enough to prove that their size didn’t intimidate the Habs. Or that our lack of it empowered them.

/rantcomplete

PS — we’re first in the Eastern Conference!!!

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Cut and paste, dude. Cut and paste.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

You go through writing your longest reply ever and the thread changes…how embarrassing. Below is my different point of view.

I believe in having an enforcer as one of your reserves, not a regular player. I believe they are useful during the regular season in certain situations (not because I have a “wounded sense of masculinity”). If MT had an enforcer do you think he would play him every game and in the playoffs? Of course not. Do you think he would play him with Colton Orr in the line-up? Of course. Do you want Prust fighting Colton Orr? I don’t. I want him fighting the Chris Neil’s not the goons. I want him on the ice banging and grinding, not in the penalty box with the other team’s stiff.

The Habs have three reserves doing absolutely NOTHING. Nokia is the first player in history who is “two weeks away” but will be injured for the whole year. Do you think MT will play Kaberle and Weber if any of the top six are hurt? I don’t. Three guys are being paid not to play. Why not have one guy that will play once in a while? Why is it such a big deal? Enforcers are not only liked by their teammates but also by the fans (who pay $200 a ticket BTW).

I believe fighting should be banned but it is not going to happen anytime soon. I’m not happy with the culture of violence in the league (goons, cheap shot artists, goon announcers, etc.). However, during the regular season, sometimes the game is played in the back alley, not on the ice. I just do not see a reason why not to have one reserve for such scenarios.

34. habsfan0 says:

Interesting stats that after the same number of games,the Isles have scored the same number of goals as the Habs(46),have a better PP & PK% than the Habs. It’s goals allowed which has been their downfall.

This game will not be easy.

35. WindsorHab-10 says:

Can’t have an off night or take any team lightly. Islanders can hurt us if we’re not ready. Hoping the team plays well & get their 6th straight.

“Hate the Bruins like a sickness”

36. Da Hema says:

Indeed, very sensible proposals. I also understand Scott Gomez is available from San Jose if the Habs will kindly part with P.K. Subban.