Gallagher out at least eight weeks with broken hand; Scherbak set to make NHL debut

DALLAS, TX - JANUARY 04:  Brendan Gallagher #11 of the Montreal Canadiens skates the puck against Jason Spezza #90 of the Dallas Stars at American Airlines Center on January 4, 2017 in Dallas, Texas.  (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)

Pat Hickey

Montreal Gazette

The Canadiens announced Friday that forward Brendan Gallagher will be out at least eight weeks after undergoing surgery Thursday to repair a broken left hand.

Gallagher suffered the injury during Wednesday night’s game in Dallas when he took a shot from teammate Shea Weber off the hand in the third period and was in obvious pain. Last season, Gallagher missed 17 games with two broken fingers on the same hand.

Paul Byron, who suffered an apparent head injury during the game in Dallas, did not practise with the team in Toronto on Friday ahead of Saturday’s game against the Maple Leafs, but he did take part in an off-ice workout.

Injured defenceman Andrei Markov (groin) and No. 1 centre Alex Galchenyuk (knee), who rejoined the team in Toronto on Thursday, skated at practice but did not engage in contact and won’t face the Leafs.

It appears that Nikita Scherbak will make his NHL debut, playing on the fourth line with Michael McCarron and Bobby Farnham, while Sven Andrighetto will join Tomas Plekanec and Artturi Lehkonen. Scherbak and Andrighetto were called up from the AHL’s St. John’s IceCaps on Thursday.

The other forward units will likely feature Torrey Mitchell centring Daniel Carr and Brian Flynn, while Phillip Danault will centre the top line with captain Max Pacioretty and Alex Radulov.

The Canadiens’ defensive pairings are expected to remain unchanged: Alexei Emelin-Weber, Nathan Beaulieu-Jeff Petry and Mark Barberio-Ryan Johnston.

Photo: Ronald Martinez/Getty Images

1. Habs4LifeInTO says:

I am excited to see Nikita Scherbak play his first NHL game. Hopefully he does well and doesn’t get poached by anyone…Interesting to see some of the recent signings in St John’s…Mike McCarron’s brother, John, for example looks promising. Great to see how well Michael McNiven has done since his return to the OHL, that kid is a legitimate prospect and MB and his staff deserves all the credit. I know the scouting staff took an HIO beating w/r to Roy, Gauthier and Philippe Myers but they managed to find great goaltending depth for the organization in McNiven and Lindgren. Hoping for a nice thumping of the Leafs tonight for our Habs!

As for my music interests I have recently revisited The English Beat and their brilliant little ska tune “Save it for Later”. Dave Wakeling went on to form General Public with Ranking Roger which produced “Tenderness” another staple from the early 80’s…Listen again to “Beautiful Girl” by INXS….and last but not least “Read my Mind” by the Killers. Hopefully not too sappy for HIO! One of the best concerts I ever saw was U2 at the forum in 1985.

24 cups and counting….

2. CJinBK says:

Football game on the tv where I am; the way these guys celebrate first downs like they’re touchdowns… Another reason why hockey really IS the best sport.

Related Tragically Hip lyric:
    If and when you get into the endzone / Act like you’ve been there a million times before

3. CJinBK says:

As I was saying… Changing of the guard in Montréal. But he IS and always WAS clutch. He got the goal when it was needed, even if he wasn’t a big scorer otherwise. It’s like he is given a certain number of goals to score each year, and he makes sure they’re valuable. (Without access to “advanced stats”, I can’t say how many empty netters he has potted, but my guess would be “a handful” rather than a “Pacioretty’s worth”. (*ducks*))

4. Rugger says:

With all the talk of music today, I am spending the day waiting for the game by converting old records to digital. So far today:
    Van Morrison – Street Choir
    Loggins & Messina – 2nd album (Mama don’t dance…)
    Tom Rush – Wrong End of the rainbow
    Burl Ives – Best of (from 1961, in excellent condition!)
    Leon Russell – Will O’ the Wisp.

Next will be either Taj Mahal’s first album or Hot Tuna’s first.

5. CJinBK says:

Did not mind it when Gionta was not re-signed. It was time for a changing of the guard

6. gordispitz says:

THAT BEAST ‘WEBER’ even took out a young lady, check gallo’s vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsWtJKOx5bs ooops, i just realized the vid is 1 year old

7. StanleyHab says:

Townes Van Zant another great songwriter. JJ Cale as well.

8. B says:

FYI: TSN2 is showing Boston College vs Providence at 5:00 pm Eastern. Hayden Hawkey should be in nets for Providence.

Edit: The game has been postponed until tomorrow due to bad weather.

–Go Habs Go!–

9. tonymr says:

Someone earlier mentioned how Tom Waits’ voice is…um, unique, but it’s a perfect fit for his tune “On the Nickel.” I’m not very sentimental but it brings a tear to my eye almost every time I hear it. Incidentally, one fan described Waits’ voice as sounding “like how you’d sound if you drank a quart of bourbon, smoked a pack of cigarettes and swallowed a pack of razor blades. . . . Late at night. After not sleeping for three days.”

• FormalWare says:

I’m thinking the bourbon would have to come After the razor blades! Love Tom Waits!

“Good Luck With That,” Habs!

• 25soonenough says:

Waits like Dylan wrote songs to fit his rusty voice. The lyrics are so profound that the lack of mellifluousness can be ignored.

–Larry Robinson was my neighbor once….

• 25soonenough says:

also, any Tom Waits fan should be a Vic Chestnut fan. Vic’s album Little is one of the most hauntingly beautiful I have ever heard.

–Larry Robinson was my neighbor once….

Going to Church at 4:30pm.
    Back home for supper and the Hockey game.
    I have 4 game seats free and wine for others. Who is coming over.?

11. Puck Bard says:

We’re “snowed in” down here in North Carolina ( 3″ on the ground), which means I’m watching hockey. Jets had that game. Gionta with the winner (nice goal). Unbelievable.

12. StanleyHab says:

At Mooseheads game in Halifax. Fortier and Hischier look like the real deal. Hey, look for me on the Sportsnet feed – wearing my Yankees hat!

13. FormalWare says:

Patrik Laine may have sustained a concussion, this afternoon in Buffalo. I hope not! Unfortunate. Looked like a clean hit, though.

“Good Luck With That,” Habs!

• on2ndthought says:

Say it ain’t so.

Free Front.

• FormalWare says:

Disastrous third period for the Jets. Not only did they lose (it appears) their rookie superstar for who-knows-how-long, but they blew a two-goal lead to lose in regulation.

On the other side of the puck, I have to say Ryan O’Reilly has won me over as a game-dictating, Swiss Army knife of a centreman. Didn’t think he was worth the money he was asking for, back when still an Avalanche. Now I can see he’s worth every penny. In a rosy alternate universe, Habs would have him, at his handsome salary, and Pleks would be playing somewhere else, at his.

“Good Luck With That,” Habs!

• on2ndthought says:

Just watched the hit. It may have been clean, but it was head-hunting. Love that Schiefele just went right at McCabe; ignoring the loose puck. A bunch of posters here have Draisaitl envy, but give me Schiefele and I’ll be a happy Habs fan.

Free Front.

14. CJinBK says:

Caught the last few minutes of the Leafs @ Devils last night. Leafs gave up 2 goals in the waning minutes, for a squeaky bum 4-2 victory. (All 4 Leafs goals came in the first: Schneider hit the showers after 3 goals on 5 shots.)

The Leafs just can’t seem to protect a lead, and often end up in OT because of it. (Look at the games versus the Caps and the Wings in the past week.) The Habs have had similar circumstances, but it’s not their standard operating procedure as it is for the Leafs.

Interesting that the Leafs are (reportedly) playing Andersen again on 21 hours rest/travel. Surely Antoine Bibeau of Victoriaville would defeat his hometown team under the bright spotlight of HNIC?

Snowy Saturday here in Brooklyn. Just like the Montréal of my youth. Go Habs! Let’s see Mr Saturday Night add another W to his tally.

• D Mex says:

Play the game at the Bell, and this statement is money !

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

Support Therrien – vote Desharnais : https://www.nhl.com/all-star-ballot
      See the Therrien – Desharnais duet here : http://i.imgur.com/NoNJ3FV.gif
      Therrien / Lacroix / Pacioretty : All Desharnais All the Time !

• FormalWare says:

Do you catch more Islanders home games, now that they play in Brooklyn? (Or perhaps you’re no more interested in the Isles than you ever were.)

If you Do follow the Isles, what’s your prognosis for that team? Are they due for a tear-down and rebuild, under new majority ownership? Which plum player should we Habs fans be salivating over (whom we can get for DD and a fifth… you know the spiel)?

“Good Luck With That,” Habs!

• CJinBK says:

I mostly have eyes for the Habs; I will watch some other games, but mostly out of boredom and to provide a little noise while I’m doing some late-night work. I saw the Habs beat the Isles in November, and am going to the next Habs game at the Barclay Center next month. (And the Habs @ Rags later this month.)

So, while I don’t see much of the Islanders, I get the impression that as long as Garth Snow is GM there will be no proper rebuild. He loves to collect goalies, and while some of his recent signings — Nick Leddy, Johnny Boychuk, Dennis Seidenberg — have been good, they have been overpayment for veterans in the final useful years of their careers.

There are some fine young players on the team, and John Tavares is a huge talent; I have seen a few games where he put the entire team on his back, especially in the playoffs. He’s probably not going anywhere, but would be amazing to have.

Anthony Beauvillier looks to be a talented young LW, but is 5’11” and 170 pounds, and would be eaten alive by HIO.

Forwards I have noticed in games NOT sucking include Josh Bailey, Anders Lee, Brock Nelson, and Ryan Strome.

Travis Hamonic is a good tight-shooting D man with size, but is not the first-pairing D-man of my dreams. And that thing with him wanting to play closer to home — St Malo, Manitoba — and then changing his mind. That was odd. (And how bad of a GM is Garth Snow that he couldn’t swap Hamonic for Jacob Trouba?) And Hamonic is still carrying his odd Movember mo, so maybe he has a hard time understanding calendars.

I know that hockey fans always overvalue their own team’s players and undervalue other teams’ players, but in this case, I wouldn’t most of the Islanders on the Habs. I did like Frans Nielsen, and wonder why Snow didn’t retain him. Also liked Matt Moulson when he was riding shotgun with Tavares. There are more former Islanders worth considering than present ones.

• FormalWare says:

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I think this shows a lot of insight. Especially your parting shot: “There are more former Islanders worth considering than present ones.” (I’d still welcome Bailey or Nelson on my version of the Habs – on the right terms, of course.)

“Good Luck With That,” Habs!

15. habs-hampton says:

Regarding potential offer sheets on drouin, chucky, etc. I dont see anything happening there. The GMs have an agreement and if you dont want to follow the “rules” you’ll have a tough time getting anyone to take a call from you . offer sheets are poison.

• D Mex says:

Do you think the ‘ rule ‘ you cite applies equally to lame-duck GMs ?
      Thinking here of Jim Benning – if he takes a shot on his way out the door, does his successor pay the price ?

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

Support Therrien – vote Desharnais : https://www.nhl.com/all-star-ballot
      See the Therrien – Desharnais duet here : http://i.imgur.com/NoNJ3FV.gif
      Therrien / Lacroix / Pacioretty : All Desharnais All the Time !

• FormalWare says:

Yep – yet another form of collusion amongst NHL teams. And this one’s not even necessary; their “gentlemen’s agreement” could just as easily be “rough-and-tumble, every man for himself – nothing personal, it’s business” – and that would even out for everyone, in the end.

“Good Luck With That,” Habs!

• 25soonenough says:

Explains why Kevin Lowe took a nose dive after that Anaheim fiasco.

–Larry Robinson was my neighbor once….

• on2ndthought says:

The rules are built-in with some pretty serious consequences. 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks and salary cap implications. If we signed JD 7X7, we’d have to go 8X8 for Chucky. Plus, you piss off your scouting department, who work their tails off for two days of glory.

I like that Bergevin has added talent without costing us too much. With varying degrees of success: Sekac, Semin, Lindgren, Parisi, Samuelson, Redmond, Barberio, Radulov, Montoya, Carr, Hanley, McNiven, Farnham, Terry, Eisenschmid; all added to the organization by Bergevin without costing us a player or a draft pick. Then there are Shaw, Danault, Petry, Mitchell and Flynn (Matteau and Racine) obtained at low cost. He paid through the nose for Weber, but that is the exception that proves the rule.

Free Front.

• Loop_G says:

Has there every been an offer sheet that has really worked out for the aggressor? In order for it to work in the first place you would need to overpay, and then no one trusts you anymore. I don’t know if it is an unwritten rule or not, but if I were a GM it would have to be a pretty extraordinary circumstance for me to offer one.

• New says:

I don’t think the GMs have an agreement other than the Cap. We don’t know how many offer sheets are out there as you just hear about the ones accepted. The Wiki thinks it is 9 years since an offer sheet was accepted by the player and the losing team let him go(Penner). Most teams just match the contract (10 of 12 offers over the last 20 seasons and one of the 2 was traded back for a couple players instead).

So an offer sheet seems like a fine way “not” to obtain a player.

16. Slack says:

McNiven as good as Price? Don Cherry thinks so

• on2ndthought says:

Good for the kid, he’s had it tough lately.

It seems our pipeline is well-stocked with Lindgren, Fucale, and McNiven.

Free Front.

• Mr. Biter says:

Unfortunately it seems like goalie’s don’t fetch much on the market these days.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• 25soonenough says:

With all the talk. McNiven just might.

–Larry Robinson was my neighbor once….

• Mr. Biter says:

If the World Junior team would have kept him instead of the 2 sieve’s we had in net could have been a different outcome in Gold medal game.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• D Mex says:

By ‘ the talk ‘, are you referring to the white noise that emanates from hockey sage Don Cherry ?
            Without wishing to take anything away from McNiven, it’s tough to imagine any credible hockey person being persuaded by what he thinks or says …

ALWAYS Habs –
            D Mex

Support Therrien – vote Desharnais : https://www.nhl.com/all-star-ballot
            See the Therrien – Desharnais duet here : http://i.imgur.com/NoNJ3FV.gif
            Therrien / Lacroix / Pacioretty : All Desharnais All the Time !

• 25soonenough says:

D-mex, I mean the Sportsnet article written about him based on the “sage” Don Cherry, who, whether you like him or not he does know his hockey. I’m suggesting scouts may take notice of McNiven who has flown below the radar his entire career. A few more scouts at Owen Sound games and maybe, just maybe, one of them tells their GM “We should try and get this kid” That’s what i meant except more succinctly.

Edit: I am by no means a Don Cherry supporter but he does have some sway in the hockey world.

–Larry Robinson was my neighbor once….

• D Mex says:

Hey 25
            Fair enough. With him already being signed by the Habs, tho, do you perceive a need for further attention at this point in time ?

Honest question / Saludos ~
            D Mex

Support Therrien – vote Desharnais : https://www.nhl.com/all-star-ballot
            See the Therrien – Desharnais duet here : http://i.imgur.com/NoNJ3FV.gif
            Therrien / Lacroix / Pacioretty : All Desharnais All the Time !

• 25soonenough says:

only in respects to him as trade bait D-Mex. If we can get something for him I would trade him with Lindgren being closer.

–Larry Robinson was my neighbor once….

• 25soonenough says:

absolutely. I posted earlier that McNiven may just have won us Gold. Politics. He was un-drafted so they passed on him.

–Larry Robinson was my neighbor once….

• on2ndthought says:

He is also unconventional, a ‘battler’. Athletic in his crease, without the smoothness with which Ingram allows pucks to slide by him.

Free Front.

• 25soonenough says:

HA!^

–Larry Robinson was my neighbor once….

17. B says:

Note that Sportsnet is showing the Sea Dogs vs Mooseheads game at 3:00 pm Eastern today. Not content with a 2nd in the Q roster, Saint John has recently added G Callum Booth, D Simon Bourque and F Julien Gauthier. Halifax features Maxime Fortier (who recently turned 19 and leads the Q in scoring right now despite going undrafted last summer) and Nico Hischier (a rookie who is 8th in Q scoring and highly ranked for the next NHL draft).

–Go Habs Go!–

18. dgab says:

Some insane comments here, thought I would throw in my two cents. Of course hockey is a fine motor skill sport, have you not seen any of the lads stick handling before the puck drops? There is a ridiculous amount of wrist and hand action there. That being said, it is the top hand that does most of the work which is very unfortunate for Gallagher. The bottom hand is significantly less important in my opinion.

• cbhabsfan says:

This is something that has baffled me all my life. I’m right-handed, swing a baseball bat right-handed and shoot a hockey puck right-handed.

Yet every time I ever broke a stick, there were only a couple of right shots on the team who could lend me their spare, but about a zillion lefties, despite the fact that nearly everyone was right-handed.

I’ve always wondered why I would swing a bat right-handed and a shoot a hockey stick right-handed, but just about every right-hander I know bats right and shoots left.

I just don’t get it. All I do know is that if I tried to shoot a puck left-handed, I’d fall flat on my face.

• PK says:

Yup, I am right-handed but also shoot left, just like the majority.
        That is why it is hard to play field hockey – I think all their sticks are designed to shoot right. Always thought that was an oddity.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

“Une équipe de hockey sur glace de l’île de Mont-Royal va gagner la Coupe de Lord Stanley à 24 reprises dans le 20e siècle et trois fois au cours du 21e siècle.”

– Nostradamus, 1552

• devhab says:

It’s cause wen you’re little you pick up a stick with your dominant hand. The other hand goes to a position where you can use the stick as a pushing tool based on what you see others doing.

Giddy up

• Mr. Biter says:

I’m a lefty but bat , golf and shoot right and your dominant hand (left and top in my case) do provide the power to the swing forward. However in hockey to win a faceoff it’s your bottom hand that supplies the power to win the faceoff back to your end.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

Who would have thought?
    That Bergevin’s idea of building this franchise from the bottom of the league to the top through the draft would bring the results that we are now seeing.
    All of these injuries have forced Therrien to use his players that have been developing down on the farm. Without these injuries, these kids would not ever be seen under Therrien. He loves his vets.

Toronto is doing the same now that they have one of the best coaches and GM in the league. They are behind us in there rebuilding, but they a young, very fast and talented group as well. To-nights game will be fast for sure, with the difference being goal tending and which team stays out of the box. Give away’s have to be kept to a minimum. So I’m looking for a fun game on a cold winter Sat. night. We should take the two points, playing in the ho hum corporate atmosphere of the Toronto rink.
    Enjoy everyone! Look for my Sunday weekly stats tomorrow!
    Ian

• Mr. Biter says:

Yes for all the posters who early in the season were complaining we had no depth on the farm that MB had no idea what he was doing the boy’s from the AHL are doing quite fine. Can barley recognize the Habs Line-up for tonight. may not all be rookies or 2nd year players, but some players who have been in the NHL and want to get back to the big show.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

20. B says:

Management has been busy shuffling IceCaps (over 60 transactions after just 35 games so far this season). Despite the revolving door, they currently hold a playoff spot.

–Go Habs Go!–

21. rhino514 says:

I have really tried my best to get into him but Tom Waits voice to me is just irritating most of the time. seems to be very popular on this site

22. Redzodrum says:

Porcupine Tree
    Al Dimeola
    Hiromi
    Dream Theatre
    Disturbed
    Rush
    Dave Weckl
    Jeff Beck
    Beethoven

23. B says:

Eisenschmid, currently on an AHL deal, gets a 2 yr / 2 way ELC:

–Go Habs Go!–

• on2ndthought says:

Just in case we need yet another call-up. Some poster saw the Ice Caps the other day, was very complimentary towards Eisenschmid.

Free Front.

24. StanleyHab says:

Tom Waits. Leonard Cohen. RATM. Zeppelin. Peter Gabriel. Marvin Gaye. Miles Davis. Rush. Mastadon. Killswitch Engage. U2. Waterboys. Springsteen. Elvis Costello. The Replacements. The Dysfunctions. The Police. Sam Cooke. Wilco. Sonic Youth. Parliament. Jeff Beck. Stones.

“There are only two types of music; music with soul, and music with no soul…” – Flea.

25. Cal says:

It’ll be interesting to see if Scherbak can do a few things tonight.
    #1- support line mates (Big Mac and whomever they’ve put on LW with him have been playing very well against 3rd and 4th line competition.)
    #2- go to the net
    #3- shoot the bleeping puck
    I hope he can do all three things well enough to make up for the line changes that’ll be going on because Glass Hand Gallagher (I’m kidding!) is out until mid-March.

26. twocents says:

I have to say I am amazed at the range of musical tastes that have been displayed here since yesterday. So much awareness of a great variety of fantastic music. Who woulda thought on a hockey site.

Thanks to 25 for getting it rolling. I wonder if my silly post feigning confusion between Scherbak and 80’s goth perveyors Shreikback got 25 thinking along these lines or not, regardless I was sure pleased to read everyone’s lists.

And Chris, it was quite enjoyable to read your rather untethered post last night regarding consumption. Where you perhaps consuming something yoursellf on a fine Friday night?

27. StanleyHab says:

Houston 16, Raiders 10. Book it Timo!

28. thesenator18 says:

In the off season would you sign RFA Jonathan Drouin to an offer sheet 7 years 49 million,compensation would be 1st,2nd,3rd round draft picks….Tampa will be backed up against the cap they have a lot of other RFA’s to sign…Drouin,Johnson,Palat,Sustr,Nesterov,they have Bishop and Boyle coming off the books,they are still paying Carle 1.8 million and Condra 300,000.

29. 123456 says:

Armyfan your post snouts hands on the stick is incorrect. The top hand is for more fine motor skills. That’s why right handed people play hockey left handed…. so there better hand is on top of the stick

30. bwoar says:

So a day after pretty much dismissing prospect-watching, I’ll admit that Victor Mete and Jake Evans have both piqued my curiosity some.

Defenders who don’t score at least 0.6 PPG in junior have an incredibly hard time making the show. (There are exceptions of course.)

This article is pretty instructive and has some fine examples and exceptions:

• piper says:

I’ve seen a fair bit of the Knights over the last few years and I’m confident that the smooth skating, puck moving d man will make it.
      But then again I thought there would be a place for Tinordi on a small soft team so wtf do i know.

31. piper says:

What’s the status on Pateryn and Redmond? Are they healthy yet?

• 25soonenough says:

Redmond is not listed as inured he was just replaced by Johnston. A head scratcher in some respects. Redmond is bigger and a plus 4 with 4 assists but Johnston is quicker so it’s a tough call. MT knows what he’s doing so I say let sleeping dogs lie.

–Larry Robinson was my neighbor once….

32. habulations says:

Saturday, and excited. Max,Price and the boys will destroy the leafs on their back to back. Our veteran team wil teach these kids in Toronto about hockey. Price will shut the door. Will this be a shut out? Probably. …can not wait!!!

• Lapointe says:

It’s obvious that you haven’t been paying attention to the leafs…they have a pretty fast team and decent goal tending. I hope we win but I wouldn’t put money on it for either team. If CP plays lights out we ought to be bale to pull it out otherwise TO will win I think. Many posters on here are only watching our once glorious team and really know very little about the rest of the league. We over estimate our team and underestimate the opposition on many a night.