Gallagher misses morning skate with flu; Prust back in lineup

The Canadiens hit the ice Friday morning in Columbus as they prepare to face the Blue Jackets Friday night (7 p.m., RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Brendan Gallagher, who is fighting the flu, didn’t skate with his teammates and will be a game-time decision as to whether he plays against the Blue Jackets.

“There’s not much to say about it,” coach Michel Therrien told reporters after practice about Gallagher’s condition. “He was feeling sick last night and wasn’t better this morning. Our therapists advised him to stay at the hotel this morning and we’ll see how he’s feeling tonight.”

Brandon Prust, who has missed 11 games with a shoulder injury, will be in the lineup Friday night and so will David Desharnais, who was a healthy scratch Tuesday against Tampa Bay. Desharnais will play on the fourth line.

“We did a lot of battle drills yesterday with a lot of contact and (Prust) felt good after, even after battling with (Douglas) Murray,” Therrien said. “He feels good this morning so there’s no reason he wouldn’t be in the lineup tonight. That’s great news for us.”

Peter Budaj will start in goal against the Blue Jackets in the first of back-to-back games for the Canadiens, who will play the New York Rangers Saturday night at the Bell Centre (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690). Budaj has made three starts this season, posting a 2-1-0 record with a 1.34 goals-against average and .953 save percentage.

The Canadiens announced on Friday that forward Christian Thomas has been assigned to Hamilton of the AHL and will make his debut with the Bulldogs Friday night against the Lake Erie Monsters after missing the first 14 games of the season due to injury. The 21-year-old was originally selected by the New York Rangers in the second round of the 2010 NHL entry draft and was acquired by the Canadiens from the Rangers in exchange for Danny Kristo on July 2, 2013.

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Canadiens vs. Blue Jackets preview, NHL.com

Game Day Report: canadiens.com

Post-practice video, Canadiens.com

Game Day Central, columbusbluejackets.com

Blue Jackets must maintain faith, Columbus Dispatch

Blue Jackets Xtra, Columbus Dispatch

Bruins beat Blue Jackets on Lucic’s OT goal, NHL.com

1. youngwun says:

Hope we win tonight! Prusty should get them going!

2. HabFab says:

Who wants to be first?

3. Habfan17 says:

One of the biggest challenges the Habs have on defence is that most of them are lefties. They need a beast that shoots right.
    Emelin did play the right side with Markov, however, he plays better on his natural left side. Tinordi, Gorges, Beaulieu, Markov, Murray, and Boullion are all lefties. Dietz, Thrower, Didier, Ellis and Nygren all shoot right, so there is help on the way, but not for a year or two.

If MB could move Gorges, DD, and Diaz for a real 2nd pair right shooting defenceman with sandpaper and a prospect or draft picks, it would help.

In the mean time, I would like to see Emelin with Subban, Markov with Pateryn, and Murray with Diaz, see how that goes for a few games. Maybe Markov can do for Pateryn what he did for Komisarek.

Habfan17

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Having so many lefties is another stupid mistake Bergevin made. He could have easily signed Tom Gilbert instead of Murray. Gilbert plays on the right, is overall much better and cheaper, too.

Gorges is our only LD who plays nearly as well on the right as he does on the left. I´d like to see him with Emelin soon or Subban with Emelin and Markov with Gorges. Tinordi-Diaz could be a decent third pair.

4. Habitant in Surrey says:

…a question for those following the Hamilton Bulldogs

…is Sylvain Lefebvre the problem in Hamilton, or are the Players simply not as good as We thought They were ?

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

…and, last, but not least: please donate generously to Your preferred charity for the victims of Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines !!!

• crabvader says:

They kind of stink. Meh.

• Kooch7800 says:

it isn’t the coach…..

Gallagher – in Montreal
      Galchenyuk – in Montreal
      Bournival – in Montreal

Christian Thomas- Just getting back from injury

Only real options down there are Leblanc and Andrighetto and now Thomas.

Honestly the rest of the forwards are bottom six guys if they make the NHL

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Lefebvre sucks. Horrible line combinations all the time. Good players are on lines with average career AHLer. Last season crap players like Hagel and Stortini played all the time while a real talent like Avtsin was scratched to soon. The reluctance to make Tokarski the number 1 is also incomprehensible and these are just a couple of points.

The Bulldogs might not be as good as we like them to but a decent head coach would help.

5. Luke says:

Beer O’clock.

Enjoy the game folks! Let’s hope for a good.

I’m off for a pre-game beverage, some in-game beverages and then to the pub for some post game beverages.
    A buddy who hasn’t played in a long time there, but was once the weekly standard, returns.

Should be fun.

Beer O’Clock!

Have a good weekend everyone, hopefully Habs win, Diaz gets a hat trick and we extoll the virtues of signing him for less than 4million per season.

Really looking forward to seeing Emelin this weekend, and hopefully Prust survives these games.
    CHeers!

7. DipsyDoodler says:

So Michel Le Tigre Bergeron thinks that “Bergevin should give THerrien players that can actually score.”

OK I can understand that a poster on H I/O doesn’t have to think before typing out the equivalent of a small temper tantrum on this site.

But if you’re on TV shouldn’t you make an attempt to be coherent?

How does a GM “give” his coach players who can score?

How do you do that exactly?

Trade players who can’t score for players who can score?

Raise hockey players in a secret colony so no one can draft them (hey that’s not a bad idea)?

I mean what the f&%^$?

Give him players?

Really that’s all you have to do?

Give him players?

Just give him some players?

I have some connections with some Hutterite Colonies out west in Manitoba, should I put the call in?

• Un Canadien errant says:

I think he got scattered by the hosts interrupting him, and getting him to lose his train of thought isn’t that hard to begin with, but he pointed the finger strongly at Brian Gionta and Tomas Plekanec as trade bait, saying that they are maybe content with the status quo. I’m not sure if he meant the same about Max. Overall though, I agree it’s just talk for talk’s sake, like we do. Big trades right now are near-impossible due to cap constraints, too many teams near the cap, unable to add salary, so someone taking Brian and Tomas now would have to send back a couple of big contracts too.

• Habfan17 says:

I see things as more likely to happen at the trade deadline or if a contender ends up with a key injury. Then again, some GM’s panic and make some weird trades!

Habfan17

• crabvader says:

We have players who can score. We need a coaching staff that calls for shooting the puck!

We play “a la dentelle” far too much.

The only guys who like to shoot are Gallagher (and it certainly pays off!) and Gionta (who is losing his scoring touch with age)

We need guys who aren’t afraid of firing them off at the net.

8. mark-ID says:

Michael Del-Zotto will be a healthy scratch for the Rangers tomorrow as per Renaud Lavoie. He says that it could be because of a trade coming up.

9. krob1000 says:

Beaulieu 2
    Tinordi 2
    Nygren/Pateryn 2 mil

25.6

Goalies 8

This would be 66.85 million

I suspect the cap is slightly higher or around that. This is assuming team keep Bouruqe, Moen lets Gorges and Gio go by then ad has rid themselves of Dd contract. Also assumes keeping Pleks and byt hat time may be able to part with Pleks as Eller, Galch and bournival should be of to go. The cap hit works and Diaz is not going to make or break anything. Markov may or may not be reatined or may seek on year …likely two IMO though. PErhaps he takes a slight discount at this stage? No bridge for Gallagher or Agalch…and others I think are reasonable…there is room to wiggle IMO assuming Gorges and Dd are not around. OTher option is Dd is around and pLeks is not at that point…saves 1.7 million and by then I would be able to live with no Pleks…would prefer not to but could eal with it.

10. Steeltown Hab says:

Whats this 3 Million for Diaz talk?

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• mark-ID says:

Yea seriously, has he signed? It doesn’t say so anywhere…?

• Mattyleg says:

Gaston Therrien said last night on Antichambre that his Swiss contact told him that’s what MB was offering Diaz.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Good thing Gaston Therrien is a joke and probably has no sources.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• DipsyDoodler says:

That’s nice.

• Mattyleg says:

Haha!
          You’re right.
          I always wondered why he was on that panel alongside Damphousse, Bergeron, Roy (when he was there), Carbo, etc.
          Maybe it’s just him trying to make himself relevant!

(cheers bud!)

• Steeltown Hab says:

Sorry pal, edited.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Un Canadien errant says:

So you didn’t really want an answer, just wanted to rant and insult people.

He specified that his source was a journalist in Switzerland who probably is close to the Diaz camp.

But please, go ahead, tell us how cuckoo clocks are effin’ overrated.

• jols101 says:

Come on Steeltown this is a GM that gave DD 4 years at 3.5 per year and signed Briere for 2 years at 4 per year. It can’t be that hard to imagine he would give Diaz 3 years at 3 per year. Just another terrible contract added to the pile.

• Mattyleg says:

I don’t think so.
            As I mentioned, that would be cheaper than what he’d get at UFA time, which makes him very tradeable if it doesn’t work out.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t be shocked based on the track record. But that’d be the point where I’m done with having faith in Bergevin.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Steeltown Hab says:

lmao Matty how is that cheaper? This is the same logic regarding DD too which was hilarious at the time and guess what … no one will touch this guy, and if they would, he would’ve been dealth by now I’m sure.

1-dimensional depth players, we shouldn’t be concerned with getting these types of guys locked up early, especially at a premium.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• jols101 says:

I’m going to wait till the trade deadline this year. He has to have some sort of plan, doesn’t he? I am expecting him to unload some dead-weight at the trade deadline. If not, I’m not sure what to make of him.

• Habfan17 says:

I have no idea where this has been officially posted, but I find it hard to believe that MB would sign him for that given what Subban received as a bridge contract. I would say $2 million and then $2.5 for year two would be more like it.

Habfan17

11. theox_8 says:

If Diaz is worth three million , Subban must be worth at least 12 .

• Mattyleg says:

I think Bergevin gave him less than what people would’ve paid for him on the UFA market, and he’s a much more tradeable asset with a contract than without.

12. DickandDanny says:

Diaz at 3 mil per. Am I hallucinating? That Buckley’s must be stronger than I thought. And did I just hear that Markov has re-signed for 5 years at 5 mil per also? And Subban is being offered 10 mil per over 8 years. And everyone else has been asked to take a pay cut, except DD who will be given more ice time instead. Way to go MB keep it coming ………….I think I’m about to feint. Diaz 3 mil per. Ridiculous.

“A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur”

• Timo says:

You don’t like?

• DickandDanny says:

Timo, I always get what your saying. I thought you would get mine also. We don’t need Diaz. We need Gilles Lupien, Pierre Bouchard, Rick Chartraw, Craig Ludwig, Rick Green, and I haven’t even gotten to Larry, Guy and Serge yet !!!!!!!! We need some big tough D who the other teams forwards will look at and go “maybe I’ll do something next shift”. Would anyone, be afraid to go to the net, the corners, anywhere in our end with this crew we have. I’d come out of retirement if I could play against guys like Diaz.

“A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur”

• Mattyleg says:

Great signing, although I don’t know where you’re getting the rest of your info.

• Kooch7800 says:

my only issue is the cap space. This team is hurting for goals and the cap will get tighter with the contracts to PK and Eller etc next year and we will be losing Gio.

Spending 3 mill on Diaz for a bubble playoff team might not be the way to go.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• DickandDanny says:

Mattyleg, (whatever the hell that means) I can’t even come up with a response that could help you.

“A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur”

• Mattyleg says:

Hey Dick,
          Can you be civil on here?
          This is a forum for talking about the Habs, and most of us keep it pretty fun and easy.
          There’s no need to insult or act petulant just because someone comes up with a different opinion to yours, or questions your information.

If you want to discuss things, I’m all for it.
          Otherwise, please keep your aggro to yourself.
          Cheers!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

I click on your avatar and see your name, but still struggling where you came up with Mattyleg. ;-)

13. Habitant in Surrey says:

…if Our destiny is middle-of-the-pack this season, then let’s continue playing Tinordi, Beaulieu et al in Hamilton …use DD as Our first line centre, Briere the second line …Murray and BouBou first pairing D

…go for the gusto !

…top 3 pick !

It is my understanding Florida had to retain some cap on Versteeg to stay above league min. salary cap floor.

• Say Ash says:

What an absolute joke, that team is.

• Phil C says:

I doubt that was the only reason. If you are going to be paying the salary anyway, wouldn’t you be better off with an actual player for the next three years? Especially considering they can’t spend to the cap due to the budget, so they have to make every dollar count to compete.

15. duffy says:

Gllager has the flu, why don’t they get flu shots??

• Gerry H says:

He likely has a cold. If hockey players actually had the flu every time their teams say they do, they’d have an incidence ten times that of the general population.

Note that they never miss a game due to a “cold.”

• Thomas Le Fan says:

They likely do but since when does a flu shot guarantee you won’t get the flu? There’s always new strains and the shot only protects against old ones. Hopefully, it’s not Captain Trips.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk but … there is fighting in hockey.

16. DipsyDoodler says:

I see we’re back to the PK is being stifled/ruined argument.

Here’s a stat for you who think the coach is dissing him.

Habs power play time this season: 112.5 minutes.

PK’s powerplay time: 84.5 minutes.

• habcertain says:

to keep him off the PK is ridiculous, to limit him on the PP would call for a serious look at MT’s morals, not to mention any hockey sense.

• Kooch7800 says:

last time I checked out PK is one of the best in the league

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Subban is not one of our four best PK defenders. He’s a rock star offensively, and he’s a blast to watch, but defence is not his strong point. Just because a player is fantastic, doesn’t mean he’s the right tool for every situation.

Devils coach Jacques Lemaire on the Daneyko-Kaminski feud – “Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.”

• Bob_Sacamano says:

That´s just bs. He was one of our two best PK defenders with Gorges under Jacques Martin. If you think Murray or Diaz are better you need help.

• Mattyleg says:

Easy, Bob.
            No need to lose your cool, just give your side.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

In fairness that Defence group was:
            PK, Campoli, Kaberle, Weber, Diaz, Gorges, Emelin, St. Denis.

For the record, if PK is getting his 28 mins. a game without getting hurt on the PK and our PK is performing, I don’t want him on PK regardless of how good he is.

Let Murray, Diaz and Gorges get pelted by rubber.

• Mattyleg says:

I’d rather not see him blocking shots on the PK, thanks very much, ‘morality’ or not.

And our PK is fine without him.

• Kooch7800 says:

If it isn’t broke don’t fix it. Our PK is doing really well without PK and we can save him for better things. If our PK was bad that is a different story but currently it is doing great while not having Subban on it.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• habcertain says:

waste of good money unless they are trading him, is this an actual signing?

• jimmy shaker says:

Yes, we all know he is our number one offensive d-man and go to guy on the PP…..what I’m talking about is his defensive zone issues. He seems to me to be out of sorts and passive, almost afraid to be nasty in case he takes a penalty, or is out of position, in which MT publicly ridicules him. PK last year in his own zone was a lot more intense than the PK of this year……hence all the debate amongst the elite on TV stating PK is on the bubble for the olympic team this year because of his defensive zone issues. Just my opinion, thanks for interjecting.

Shaker out

17. Say Ash says:

What exactly did MT say about PK on AC?

I am so happy Desharnais is back in the lineup. I missed him.

19. LizardKing12 says:

Just out of curiosity can anyone tell me where I can find MT’s comments backing Price for the olympics because I can’t find it anywhere.

20. Gerry H says:

This #SFBatKid thing is amazing.

What’s that? No, just something caught in my eye…

21. habcertain says:

with regard to MT’s verbal support of Price and not PK, there isn’t a coach in this league that would not the answer that question in the affirmative, for all the talk of a team approach, sticking together, respekk, the leader decides to take a pass on a question about the Norris trophy winner playing for Canada, we can all come to our own conclusions, but it is verifiable that Therrien refuses to give PK the support and respect he has earned. he chooses to view PK as a person that, if given too much credit or recognition, it will blow his ego, (too immature) or something akin to that. Therrien made it personal (on AC) before he was given a job he probably never thought we would have again, and shouldn’t, and is sticking to his guns. he just doesn’t cotton to him, as they say. problem is, he is the biggest talent on the team, and the eventual leader, if he signs and stays.

22. Propwash says:

CTV Montreal is going to start hosting new episodes of 24h CH

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

23. jimmy shaker says:

MT has taken the nastiness out of PK’s game and that’s part of the problem of him not being on the ice in the late minutes and PK’s overall defensive zone issues. We don’t see PK lining anyone up as they approach his blueline anymore and smoking guys. He used to be more tenacious in his pursuit of the opposing forward, and now I see him more passive. Most of it is MT fault because he gets pissed off if PK takes penalties, but for everyone else it seems to be okay. Let PK be PK and he will be as effective in the D zone as he is in the O zone. Also, MT has silenced White’s game to some degree……sure he doesn’t take dumb penalties anymore, but he’s not hitting or finishing checks like he use to. I think white has learned his lesson on the dumb penalty thing, but for the love of all things holy, let these guys get nasty!

Cheers to a good game tonight……max pac please wake up!

Shaker out!

24. Un Canadien errant says:

Regarding Michel Therrien championing Carey Price’s inclusion on Team Canada but remaining mum on P.K., I think it’s clear that the Canadiens management feel that P.K. doesn’t need more encouragement, he responds better to the stick than the carrot. And judging by the young man’s personality, this may be so. I mean, is anyone else struck by how often P.K. remarks on his own appearance, about how he’s so good-looking? At the draft two seasons ago, when he upstaged Malcolm during his post-draft interview on TSN, on Sportsnet during the lockout, during 24CH a couple of times, yesterday in his remarks about Marc Bergevin when asked about the negotiations, he keeps bringing it up, unbidden. Now, we love P.K. and find him adorable, but maybe that’s the kind of stuff that was grating on the veterans and the team in general, during the Randy Cunneyworth reign, and that Marc Bergevin and Michel Therrien are trying to rein in.

So while Carey can seem a little hard on himself when he lets in a bad goal, and it can throw him for a loop and he needs a pat on the back, maybe P.K. needs to be focused on the ultimate prize, pointed in the right direction. Yes, disciplined, although a lot of people think that word has a harsh connotation.

Just my thoughts on a possible reason for Michel Therrien’s ‘deux poids, deux mesures’ when it comes to his Team Canada hopefuls, if it’s not the plain reason that Carey seems assured of a spot, and P.K. is still fighting against Drew Doughty, Shea Weber, Brent Seabrook, Kris Letang and Alex Pietrangelo for a spot as a defenceman on the right side.

———————————————————————–
    … you know, because there’s no way hundreds of overcompetitive stars with massive egos would ever cheat to gain an edge with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake.–Bill Simmons

25. plum says:

Man, Jordan Eberle has gotta be the least photogenic player in the NHL.

26. naweed235 says:

You people do realize that a Diaz with a contract is worth more in a trade than a Diaz to be UFA right?

27. rhino514 says:

Regarding Nygren, we have seen that Tinordi nor Beaulieu are yet ready for the big team; young Dmen can take a long time before they are able to step in. Nygren is slightly older, but he´s also not as high a prospect as the other two.
    We are in a good position with those three plus Pateryn, but there is no timetable to know if/ when any of them will be ready, it could be seasons, yet.

28. arcosenate says:

What’s the point in having a Norris Trophy D Man if you ain’t going to play him as a Norris winner should?

There is no point.

So pay him and play him or trade him for something you would apparently be more comfortable with.

So if he is averaging more minutes this year than last, which is when he won the Norris, does this mean in fact last year he was not actually played as Norris winner and therefore should return the award?

• Luke says:

I love PK, but if I can get a 50 goal scorer for him, PK is packing his bags.

How do you play him “As a Norris Winner should”?

• Habsrule1 says:

Not sure I agree. PK may be worth more to this team than a 50 goal scorer right now. Would be a tough decision for me.

Go Habs Go!!

• Bob_Sacamano says:

With Stamkos out, I bet we´ll have only one 50 goal scorer at the end ot this season in Ovechkin. Would I trade PK for him? Hell no!

Even Crosby straight up for PK wouldn´t make us a better team btw.

• sheds88 says:

agree to diagree. if crosby were traded to the Panthers today, i would put money on them making the playoffs.

• kmachabs27 says:

ummmmm who would be willing to trade away a 50 goal scorer?

Could very well be Boston traded one this past off season.

• kmachabs27 says:

seguin is a 50 goal scorer? since when?

I said “could”. My point is if you were going to trade a PK it would be for a teams best young player, be it an Eberle, Seguin, perhaps you could swing a Tavares.

• Kooch7800 says:

He is on pace for over 50 currently Burly. He has the talent to do it

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

Agree Kooch, if Seguin has matured or continues to mature, he can become one of the best in the league. Some of those shots he scored on last night were seeing eye things of beauty.

Look at how our team struggles to score, we desperately need a bonafide goal scorer!

• Luke says:

I was very happy to see the Bruins trade an offensively gifted young centre to the other conference this past summer.

And yes: I still think it was a bad trade for Toronto. I’m very happy they do not have Seguin in their lineup right now.
            Now if we could get them to move Kessel to the Wesy.

• jamman says:

Luke you’d trade P.K for Ovechkin? I wouldn’t.

• Luke says:

I’d think about it.

You can tell it’s a fair deal, because it hurts to make it, and both sides can argue why its good or bad.

• jamman says:

Personally I feel Ovechkin doesn’t really want to win the cup that bad. The caps have no soul. I can guarantee P.K wants that cup, his attitude/work ethic says it all

• Luke says:

I don’t know what would give you that impression.

When I look at and listen to OV, I get the impression of an elite talent that wants to be the best. To be the best, means winning a cup. He changed his game, became a responsible player but certainly defense isn’t his strength.

Actually, I think the personalities of PK and Ovechkin are quite similar. Most of the complaints about one are made about the other. Lacks focus. Immature. Selfish. etc etc…

I bet if they PK were a Cap and OV a Hab, we could have this exact same conversation.

I’m calling it: PK is the Habs OV.

• jamman says:

Ovi is an elite talent thats for sure and arguably the most gifted goal scorer in the nhl today. He did change his game yes but Adam Oates deserves some credit for switching him to the right wing. I just have a hunch he’ll never win a cup. Maybe I dislike him.

I would trade PK for Tavares straight up.

• haberman says:

in a heartbeat.

• galchenyuk27 says:

You realize steen is gonna be a 50 goal scorer this year right lol id loose my mind if that trade happened

• Habsrule1 says:

Unfortunately, the team believes he needs to work on some things before letting him go completely. I don’t agree with it, but it’ not the end of the world. Not like PK is playing 15 minutes a game.

PK must be really upset with the way he is used….having to make room for the aforementioned Norris Trophy and everything.

Go Habs Go!!

29. krob1000 says:

Re Diaz…this is an insurance policy and opens several door not closes them as people are suggesting. Having Diaz ensures another competent NHL dman who can eat minutes at a reaonable rate.

His limited track record also means there is room for improvement..I doubt he steps backward any time soon.

We don’t know where things will be with Markov or Subban re their dollars or term..having a guy like DIaz ensures some stability.

***Having Diaz also means that if a suitor comes along for either Gorges or Markov or even one of the d prospects that there is not a void in the lineup—-quite honestly if you could have one of Diaz @ 3 for 3 years or Gorges for 4 at more years which would you prefer? ***

Having Diaz is also important because right handed dmen do not grow on trees and we have all seen how difficult even good players adjust to playing on their offside.

Diaz is a very coachable and versatile player and despite him not being very physical he does have other assets and while he will not put up points with Markov and PK healthy…if one goes down…he has shown before he can fill in and be a viable pp option.

My only real concern about the Diaz signing is the order of operations…I would prefer the team lock up Subban and/or Markov first. Perhaps part of the HAbs strategy is setting a dcorps budget and if the other guys demand x amount of dollars then maybe the bigger ticket guys take a little bit of a discount to make it work.

The Habs learned their leasson with Streit when they could have had him for years at a reasonable rate and while Diaz has not proven yet to be Marc Streit…he has shown he is very close and actually better defensively IMO….his offense is non existent right now but he is not getting pp time and he is still contributing….he actually has a very well rounded game and noone would have thought that before…I always viewed him as an offensive asset and he is proving he can play PK, shutdown pairing role also. Versatility is underrated by fans but not coaches or managaement I suspect.

• doc359 says:

You are making far too many reasonable and valid points.

I am going to assume PK gets signed, Markov also gets signed. We already have Emelin and Gorges signed. These are 4 relatively heavy costing veteran defenceman. Add Diaz to that list and now we have eliminated 1 of Tinordi, Beaulieu, along with any of the other dmen in our prospect pool. I don’t follow the reason for this.

I am not at all anti-Diaz, but rather I am pro Tinordi, Beaulieu and one or more of our other prospects.

• krob1000 says:

IF neither Tinordi or Beaulieu is anywhere near DIaz right now what makjes us think that both will be by next season? or even the one after that. Let’s assume it takes 2 full years before they are boith minute munching dmen…where is Markov at that point? Is Gorges still around?

KEY note: Diaz will be MB’s guy…Gorges was not…remember that. I think it is becoming apparent that Diaz can fill any hole plugged by Gorges and also be a temporary plug on a pp if on eof the big two go down. The right thing is also key.
        OF the d you mention Gorges, left, Markov, left, Emelin, left, Beaulieu, left, Tinordi, left …so let’s say sometime over the next 2 or 3 years Pk goes down longer term….this as frightening as it is is actually quite likely in todays game…who attempts to fill his shoes? who plays the right side?

Also…if Tinordi is able to handle that role of physcial bottom pairing dman he would be ideal partner for Diaz. That is a pretty formidable dcorps and with Beaulieu and TInordi in it makes it affiordable as well for at least a couple of years while still having the solid vets and a high functioning Markov.

There is much risk of letting someone like Diaz go for nothing …..

• DipsyDoodler says:

If you had to keep one of Diaz or Gorges who would it be?

Diaz, but primarily because I don’t like the Gorges contract.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Ditto. Josh is a little bit better on defence, in that he’s great at blocking shots and is marginally more physical, but Raphaël Diaz has an offensive component that is completely lacking with Josh. Overall, I’d part with Josh, if I had to choose one.

• Timo says:

Wow, if I didn’t know better I’d want Diaz on my team.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I guess there’s no right or wrong answers here, it’s a question of degrees. If Raphaël Diaz can be signed for two years at $3M per, that’s a decent deal, tradeable, cost-effective, low-risk. But if it goes to $3.5M, and for three or four years, then it’s not that great a deal for our team. Similarly, yes I think he’s a good player, but he’s not improved as much as I wanted this season, and his offence is lagging, so I’m left wanting a little more. I don’t want to ‘get rid of him’, just hoped he’d flower now that Yannick Weber and Tomas Kaberle were gone and the job was his.

I’ve beaten the drum about the fact that he’s a rightie, so this year it’s an advantage, but in the medium term it may even play against him, since the Canadiens farm team is overstocked with righties. Jarred Tinordi and Nathan Beaulieu are lefties, but everyone else save for Mac Bennett are righties. Greg Pateryn, Magnus Nygren, Darren Dietz, Dalton Thrower, Morgan Ellis, all shoot right. Even the fringe guys, Josiah Didier, Colin Sullivan, all righties, it’s like Trevor Timmins did it on purpose or something. Anyway, a year from now, are we looking at Raphaël Diaz for the second-wave of the powerplay, or do Darren Dietz or Magnus Nygren make him expendable in the near term?

• krob1000 says:

All of the bluechippers are lefties…Nygren the excpetion and it is debatable that he is a blue chipper but he is playing like it in the Hammer. I can’t imagine Dietz or Thrower playing a gregular NHl role for at least 3 or 4 years. ONly Pateryn is the wildcard…but he looks to liely be a no 7 or 8 dman on a good team or may make bottom pairing guy. Time may prove otherwise but so far…Diaz has already achieved what none of these guys has…and if 3 of them amount to being his equivalent the HAbs will be ingood shape. Why fixz what ain’t broke…Diaz is playing well.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Agreed that Nathan and Jarred are the blue-chippers, the ones the team counts on. And that kind of goes to my point. Let’s say the team’s defencemen two years from now, on Marc Bergevin’s board, are Andrei, Jarred and Nathan on the left side, and P.K. on the right. These are your ‘givens’. The complementary pieces, the ones who’ll fight through the minors to get to the NHL, are the other guys I listed. Raphaël will be fighting with those complementary guys for a spot on the roster, and he won’t be able to use the fact that he’s a rightie as a reason to distinguish himself. All the other guys will be righties as well.

It’s like they had a plan. In 2010, Trevor Timmins drafted Jarred Tinordi, the big leftie, in the first round, the Morgan Ellis, a rightie, in the fourth round. In 2011, he nabbed leftie Nathan Beaulieu in the first round again. Then, as if on a mission, he grabbed righties Josiah Didier in the fourth round, Darren Dietz in the fifth, and Colin Sullivan in the seventh. The next year, it was rightie Dalton Thrower in the second round.

Like I said, as if it was planned. They banked on the left side of the blue line being taken care of, so they stocked up on right-handed longshots in the later rounds, hoping one or three of them turn out. And if they do, these lower-profile, cost-effective defencemen, all on the right side, are precisely those that rightie Raphaël Diaz will be competing with.

30. Luke says:

I’ll call it first. I think tonight’s game is a Calibration method.

31. Mavid says:

Oh no I really hope the energizer bunny plays tonight..what a treat he is to watch

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

32. Un Canadien errant says:

Some contradictory info so far on this subject, but RDS reports that Brandon Prust will play tonight in Columbus.

———————————————————————–

33. Un Canadien errant says:

Sean McIndoe compares the Oilers’ start to the season to the Avalanche’s, as well as their respective rebuild strategies. In the next article, he analyzes the likely inductees to the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2014.

34. Eddie says:

Diaz is precisely the type of player I would trade, not sign long term.

There’s a market for him in a package deal and he can be replaced by one of Beaulieu, Tinordi, Patteryn, Nygren next year.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I was expecting/hoping for more progress from him this season. It’s a long season, but if he maintains this trajectory, I don’t see him maintaining his spot in the roster long-term when Magnus Nygren is adapting quite well to the North American game in Hamilton.

Gaston Therrien was reporting that the team is negotiating with Mr. Diaz and his agent, and that the figure being batted around is $3M, but the term is not pinned down right now. He and the panel agreed that he’s a good player, but no more, and that this was a wise move if only to retain him as an asset to trade later. As in, he’ll be more marketable at the trade deadline with a contract rather than approaching his UFA status in July without.

The thing is, while that seems sensible, the David Desharnais situation makes me gun-shy. Raphaël is another undersized player who has a short track record and is being signed with the expectation that he’ll improve or at least maintain his production, in the league of Colin Campbell and Eric Gryba. So I hope the Canadiens tread carefully on this one, and don’t embark on another Josh Gorges contract, one which overvalues an incumbent because he fills a role (#4 D-man) on a team not due to his talent but rather due to the team’s lack of other options.

• Eddie says:

And we may be pushing a player like Nygren a little to play 6th dman next year, so you keep a veteran at 1 million on the roster as insurance.

But Diaz + something else could get us a valuable piece that were missing at the forward position.

We could use another young Prust type player who has the potential to score 20 goals in the NHL.

Or any forward with 20 goal potential who is not 5’9

Sometimes these dmen with expiring contracts almost seem worth more to trade now than after they are signed.

I don’t think we are in contention for a long playoff run, I would be happy to see Diaz traded. Not to be rid of him, but rather to get some value, knowing we appear to have more depth at D than most any other position on the team. Also leaves more room for signing PK whom I would like to see signed.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, with P.K., Andrei, Alexei Emelin and Josh Gorges all earning approximately $4M and more per season, there’s not much room on the roster for Raphaël Diaz at $3M, we need to have cost-effective veterans or youngsters on Entry-Level Contracts in the other d-man slots.

Exactly Normand, take advantage of the Beaulieu, Tinordi or Pateryn entry level contracts.

• frontenac1 says:

I want to see Diaz and Murray play together for a few games. I think it could work. If it does,than Sign them both for one more year.

• Mattyleg says:

But by signing him to a decent deal, he’s more tradeable because coaches won’t have to worry about signing him in the future.

I think he’s fine for this season, and if he gets his game together, then it’s great for us. If not, he’ll be more valuable, as I said.

Plus, teams hold onto the kinds of d-men that we’re looking to get. I don’t see anyone falling over themselves to pick up a Diaz at the cost of a big, skilled d-man.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

I don’t think so, so much uncertainty about cap next year, a team making a run needing a Dman, just wants them for this season and seem to overpay at trade deadline.

• Luke says:

See, I disagree… Diaz is the type of player you keep until Beaulieu is proven to be an NHL regular.

2 years @ 2.5mm would be ideal. He’ll get 3 though.

Looking forward, and making assumptions obviously:

PK Stays.
      Markov Stays.
      Gorges Stays.
      Emelin Stays.

Boullion is gone.
      Murray is gone. (His skill set is mirrored by that of Emelin & Gorges).

I would expect one of Tinordi or Beaulieu to challenge for a full time spot, but not both. If it is Beaulieu, the case for moving (or not signing) Diaz is stronger as their skillsets overlap more than Tinordi. If Tinordi earns the spot, than he may make Emelin or Gorges more expendable.

Pateryn, Nygren? I haven’t seen much to suggest they’ll be in the mix next season. Drewiaskie is a non factor (so much so, I’m going to type this instead of correcting my spelling).

Diaz isn’t as bad as some are making him out to be.
      He’s alright. He’s fine. He’s an NHLer. He’s no star. If a decent deal comes around for him, do it. If not, sign him. We’ll need someone like him in case the youth isn’t ready.

• Mr. Biter says:

Lets see what Murray brings for the rest of the year before we don’t sign him. Still one of the league’s hardest hitters and defiantly clears the crease better than anyone else we have now. Also quite good on PK. About the same speed of Gill but much meaner.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• vegas says:

you forget one major element, he is right handed and plays the right side. The only other righty we have on the squad is Subban. We all know how difficult it has been for our lefties to play the right side, and I much prefer Emelin on the left side. SO until e make a move to improve our right side he remains our best candidate

35. SmartDog says:

A little math:
    + Habs play like wet noodles for 5/6 of the game last time.
    + Price who stood on his head is pissed at losing a game where he played like a circus monkey to keep them in it.
    + Gionta admits after they played too soft, did not go to the net.
    + Players hold a team meeting to get re-focused on what they need to do to win.
    + The little guy who DOES bring it to the net EVERY game is sick with the flu tonight.
    ———————
    = If that doesn’t add up to one helluva better net-crashing, barn-storming effort tonight, might as well fold the tent.

I expect a big start from the boys, and an aggressive high scoring game. (And if not, we got bigger problems than even Timo thinks.)
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

36. AH says:

Great. If no Timex, then no going to the net = no goals.

But wait, there is hope, DB went to the net last game and bingo!

37. Ali says:

Michel Therrien: “There is no doubt in my mind that Carey is going to be on the Olympic team.”

So i guess now we know how he feels about Subban, since he refused to answer when asked about PK’s chances.

• SmartDog says:

Price plays the white way.
      Subban is a dark horse.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• habstrinifan says:

Exactly! And when you try to point this out to those here on HIO they give you all sorts of cockamamy rationale for Therrien’s statements (from day 1) re Subban. Wonder if it is primarily because HIO’s memebership is artful in their denial of the obvious.

What if Price in comparison to other goalies is better than Subban is in comparison to other Canadian defencemen? Am I allowed to believe that?

• Eddie says:

Burly, you’re right about the competition at the defence position relative to goalie.

But would it hurt Therrien to be biased in favour of Subban?

Wouldn’t that help build some confidence between them?

• Mattyleg says:

There’s nothing to lead us to believe that there isn’t confidence between them.
            That whole nonsense of a couple of weeks ago was a complete media fabrication.

• Ali says:

Matty, come on. I am in no way accusing MT of being racist or anything like that, but it’s clear he doesn’t think he belongs there, because it would have been quite easy to say, he’s one of the best dmen in the league but it’s very competitive. Instead he said nothing. When it came to Price, he threw his weight fully behind him. That implies something.

• Eddie says:

I didn’t say there is no confidence between them, did I?

• Mattyleg says:

(I didn’t say anything about racism, so don’t worry about that. I don’t go down that road, as I don’t believe it exists)

Therrien already said that it doesn’t matter what he says with regards to the olympics.

I don’t think he was ‘throwing his weight’ behind Price. All that Therrien was saying was that he believes that in the minds of the Olympic selection comittee (to which he might have some inside knowledge) Price is a surer thing than PK, possibly because of how he looks compared to others at his position.

That’s all. MT has said that he’s not going to start saying who he thinks should be on the team.

• Habsrule1 says:

PK is in a can’t lose position. If he goes to the Olympics and plays, he’s happy. If he goes and doesn’t play, he will still have a great experience and learn from it. If he doesn’t go and Canada does not win Gold, people will 2nd guess Yzerman forever and say that we would have won Gold had we had the Norris Trophy winner there!
          The only way he loses (slightly) is if he doesn’t go and Canada still wins Gold…..but then as a Canadian, he’ll still probably be kinda happy anyway.

Go Habs Go!!

• habstrinifan says:

You are allowed to believe anything your thought processes produce to make your reality malleably conform to your standards of honesty.

I am not going to google all those words, but I will say it simply. I think PK is a very good defenceman, I don’t think he is as good as many here think he is. I think he can and will be excellent, but isn’t there yet.

• LizardKing12 says:

Price may be the frontrunner for the starting spot but you make it seem like PK doesn’t have the stats to back up his case to make the olympic team. Amongst the potential Olympic dmen PK ranks first in points, 6th in average ice-time, 6th in +/-, 1st in PP points and 1st in both SOG and SOG/G.

You make it sound like Price is a sure bet so naturally Therrien should back him and PK is some ridiculous long shot so Therrien shouldn’t bother with an endorsement. Therrien should be consistent, he has two world class players on his team, PK and Price, and he should either back them both for an olympic spot or decline to comment for both.

• Habsrule1 says:

Difference is Price is almost a no-brainer. While I believe PK should be too, many “experts” will tell you there are better options right now than PK cause of his overall game.

Anyway, molehill meet mountain.

Go Habs Go!!

• LizardKing12 says:

No I don’t think this is a molehill being made into a mountain. A coach should either go to bat for all his players or none. He is exacting preferential treatment. PK is the reigning Norris trophy winner, he is an all-star dman and easily a top 10 dman in the league if not top 5. Would it have hurt Therrien to admit that PK is a very good player deserves to be on the olympic team? It isn’t as if he would’ve been endorsing DD, nobody would’ve criticized MT for going to bat for a world class player. It is ridiculous that when the question was asked about PK he refused to throw any compliments his way and decided to say that it isn’t for him to comment on who will and won’t make the Canadian team but to then turn around and say he has no doubt Price will be on the team.

• Habsrule1 says:

So you don’t think it’s a molehill…ok.

I do.

Go Habs Go!!

• Mr. Biter says:

PK’s on the bubble right now. He defiantly has the offensive stats as noted above but at times he’s a defensive liability. There’s a reason he’s not playing on the PK or in the last couple of minutes in tight games and it’s not because MT does not like him. Also he has taken some bad and un timely penalties which if say DD would have taken would have certain posters calling for benching or beheading or both.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• LizardKing12 says:

I don’t think it’s some kind of earth shattering controversy but I think you are fooling yourself if you think this is completely inconsequential. PK is a professional and will continue to play hard for the Habs no matter what, but he is also human and I don’t believe that he wasn’t slighted by these comments.

Put yourself in his shoes. You are coming off a season where you won the Norris trophy, you play your heart out every night and are leading the team in points yet when your coach is asked if you should be on the olympic team he declines to comment saying that it isn’t his decision to make. I’m sure it’s upsetting but you can maybe justify it by saying Therrien wants to focus on the team and wants to stay away from speculating on the Olympics. But then, the same question is asked about Price and he gives him a major endorsement. How is PK supposed to react to something like that? He’s supposed to be all happy go lucky, golly gee I love playing for Mr. Therrien?

Like I said PK is a pro and will continue to do what it takes to win hockey games for the Habs but I highly doubt his relationship with Therrien is all peaches and cream. Especially when Therrien does something this two-faced.

• LizardKing12 says:

@Mr.Biter, the year that PK had the 4th most PK minutes on the team the Habs finished second in the league in PK%. As far as being a defensive liability, PK might take risks but no more than any other offensively gifted Dmen in the league. He has 10 less giveaways in 1 more game played than Erik Karlsson I don’t hear anyone calling him a defensive liability. Andrei Markov has 6 more giveaways than PK, some that resulted in bad goals, and I don’t here MT calling him out in press conferences.

As for the comparison to DD that’s apples and oranges my friend. Yes if DD makes a big mistake that leads to a goal or takes a penalty that puts the team in jeopardy we would lose our minds but that is also because he never puts the team in a position to win games. DD has 1 point this season and PK leads the team and on many nights is one of the only reasons the Habs are able to score goals. Players like that buy themselves the right to make mistakes because the good outweighs the bad, with DD there is no good so when he makes mistakes there is no reason to forgive.

• Habsrule1 says:

Give me a break. I like to joke about it but I find it disgusting that people make serious comments and accusations about people they don’t even know being racist.

This is the type of stuff I personally feel needs to be moderated out.

Go Habs Go!!

• LizardKing12 says:

Where does this quote come from btw?

38. Eddie says:

Seriously, Diaz is a good player, but wtf man!

Long term on Diaz?

Why?

39. JM says:

This team cant afford to sit any good player. If MT starts that foolishness than he should join JM. Sitting a good player other than for injury or sickness for deadwood not very smart …

40. slapshot777 says:

Is Parros playing tonight?

41. frontenac1 says:

Test.Hello Tokyo

42. RAM_TOUGH says:

How long till Prust is out with another shoulder injury AGAIN?

Guts-Glory-Ram

43. C-Sword says:

Are they really considering resigning Diaz? Please No! I don’t care about his +/-, cause he was bailed out by Price on so many occasions, he’s small, loses puck battles often and is afraid to get hit.

44. Dr.Rex says:

I started to get stomach aches yesterday and thought I might be getting the flu cause I was really tired. Then I realized I accidently purchased a Fiber 1 cereal that is 60% fiber content. That’s all I will say.

• 24 Cups says:

Dr. R – Add some raspberries to that cereal and wash it down with a bottle of red wine and you’ll be damn close to 100% fiber.

Recchi’s not the only doctor in town. I’m on call 24/7 if you need me.

45. huge_polar_bear says:

RDS is reporting that negotiations with Diaz are about 3 million a year. I know that Habs management are building from the back end out, but it is really starting to be a lot of cap hit tied up on D next year (because I think they will end up signing PK and Markov). What do you guys think Diaz at 3MM/yr?

• Timo says:

Diaz at 3 mil is almost paramount of the DD contract. Bergevin is lost.

• 24 Cups says:

That’s a lot of coin for a 3rd pairing Dman who has no physical aspect to his game. Diaz does have some good traits as a player but I can’t see him breaking into the top four during the next two years.

• huge_polar_bear says:

I agree with not seeing him break through the top 4 and that leads me to wonder about this negotiation. At some point Tinordi, Beaulieu and/or Pateryn need to play for the Habs. Let’s say Beaulieu is still 2 years away but one or both of the others should be up next year. So you already have Drewiski signed (he’ll be a 7th D), Georges, PK, Markov (maybe) and Emelin. I just don’t see the plan here, just don’t see it.

• RAM_TOUGH says:

Really? Them MB has totaly lost what little mind he had!

Guts-Glory-Ram

• DipsyDoodler says:

Diaz isn’t as bad as people make out but he’s no Mark Streit either.

That being said, $3M/yr is well below the average salary for a UFA. With the cap at $70M the average UFA salary would be roughly $4.5 – 5M/year. ($10M for the 8 or so RFAs on the team leaving ~$60M for about 12 players.)

So while $3M is a lot of money, it is well below the average salary of a 28 year old full time NHLer.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

With Murray and Bouillon hopefully gone after the season it would make sense to sign Diaz. He´s much better than most want him to be as some people like a big joke on skates like Murray more which is laughable.

At the same time 3 years at 3MM/yr? I´d say no. 2 years at 2.5 would be okay.

• Luke says:

While I’d prefer all players signed max years at the league minimum, 3million/season is the going rate for his (Diaz’s) peer group.

46. Mavid says:

My husband just turned down 100 level seats to the Sens/Bruins game tonight..he is trying to give them away with no luck..honestly WTF? He needs to work in the garage tonight cleaning it and getting it ready for the sleds…man o man were did I go wrong..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

Got my flu shot two days ago and paid $210 for a Shingles vaccination shot at the same time!
    Hope it keeps the rain out!

48. slapshot777 says:

So DD is back in so who sits provided that Gallagher doesn’t miss a game. Who sits for Prust?

49. Hobie Hansen says:

Good to hear Christian Thomas will be starting to play in Hamilton. He had not so spectacular training camp in Montreal but I’m sure that the sample size was just too short of a period of time.

People are upset that Thomas is an inch or two shorter than Kristo. I don’t think in the grand scheme of things that the small difference in height will make a difference.

Not the fault of Thomas that he got traded to an undersized team.

• 24 Cups says:

HH – I don’t see it as a comparison between the two players. It’s more a case of trading with the notion that you’re not going to bring in a guy who has a profile that is totally overstocked on the team.

• vegas says:

never understood wy they gave up on Kristo and traded him for another tiny player which we really dont need
      BTW Kristo has 14 point sin 14 games in AHL including 8 goals

50. DalEng says:

Prust and DD in the lineup tonight. Who is sitting?

51. Eddie says:

looking at the poll question, 50% do not think the Mayor was out of line about Desharnais.

Amazing the lack of respect in today’s social media.

We didn’t have Twitter back when I was a teenager, but the Mayor was respectful to the athletes in this town.

And I also believe that the Mayor”s tweet was disrespectful to Bergevin and Therrien as well as just Desharnais.

Just another example how “evolved” society has become, I guess.

It doesn’t matter what you say, even if you’re the Mayor. It’s acceptable to Tweet whatever you want, no matter who it hurts.

I think it is essentially a question asking our age Ed. Never have I felt so old! I have no issues with him tweeting that prior to taking office, but then again Mayors in this country have had low standards for years.

A buddy reminded me how his hometown mayor years ago lost the rights for his town to be the capital of an entire county in a drunken poker game.

• Eddie says:

I asked my 20 year old if it was an “age” thing. A generation gap.

He said he didn’t think so. He also thought the Mayor was out of line.

I’m thankful that my 3 kids are very concerned about hurting other people, and respectful of other people.

• mount royal says:

There is a fine line between being sensitive and being hypocritical. In my view Corderre only went over the line by suggesting a one-way ticket. Of course many people on this thread say the same thing here every day. But being mayor doesn`t mean that you are now part of a permanent popularity contest. You say things that others will disagree with, or, even be hurt by. Quebecers are some of the most frank-speaking people on the globe (after the Dutch) and Anglo-Canadians are the most politically correct.

• Cal says:

Ain’t into the whole “tweeting” thing. Many people seem to think that what they had for dinner is interesting. Or that whatever they do is worth sharing. Life has evolved from a gigantic 3D environment into a 2″ x 3″ screen.
      As an aside, I have to laugh at videos of folks texting or tweeting while walking and the mishaps that follow.

• mksness says:

so how many tweets have said the same thing. our mayor can tweet anything he wants as long as he runs the city well.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

If this is all he does that is not acceptable he will be one of the best mayors ever. Have you guys been paying attention to the elected officials that run this country and what they are doing…there must be worse things to gripe about than a fan tweeting what any conscious person can see. DD is not only not helping the team he is actually hurting the team……he needs to get some playing time somewhere….Hamilton is appropriate to me.

• Mustang says:

I am very concerned about the feelings of others but in this case all he was doing was giving his opinion, just like any other fan. Let’s face it, not many Habs fans think that DD is earning his keep this year.

The over/under number for shifts taken by John Scott before he scraps with Fraser McLaren of the Leafs tonight is 2.

I will go with under.

• Ozmodiar says:

Hey, you’re making the same mistake that I made a short while back.

During a recent game, after 2 periods, I set the over/under for shifts by our 4th line in the 3rd period to 1. Parros and the boyz went out for a shift, got scored on, and that was it for them.

Result: a push, no win, no loss. What fun is that? I should have set it to 1.5.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Hopefully Nolan sends Scott out to lineup across from Phil Kessel – just to freak him out.

53. Lil Snapper says:

There goes our best player! The heart of this team!

54. jimmy shaker says:

Pleks….the most tossed out player from the face off dot in history!

Shaker out!

55. Say Ash says:

OK, guys. Best flu remedies – go:

56. twilighthours says:

Beer! Kilkenny is among my favourites. As is Smithwicks.

Nice call, gents.

Now for some music:

57. Max says:

I remember good ole Richard Zednik seemed to be out with the “flu” at least twice a month when he played here.

58. frontenac1 says:

Going to The Fronts/Knights game tonight to see this lad McCaron play. Apparently its on Sportsnet nationally tonight. Wish HIO would fix the Mobile problems so I could Live post. Boone must have pooched the site for mobile users because he dosen”t like the competition. Oh well, time to get started at the Saloon. Saludos Amigos!

59. Garbo says:

Why do hockey players always get the flu? I can’t remember the last time myself or anyone I know for that matter has been sick with the flu.

60. shiram says:

DD’s chance, but those are some big shoes to fill.

61. habs-hampton says:

We finally are almost healthy and now the flu starts running though the team??

62. Say Ash says:

Moen->Gally->Who’s next?

63. monmick says:

First again!

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

64. Mattyleg says:

Breathe, Professor, breathe!

65. Mattyleg says:

Nothing wrong with the flu shot, Prof, if that’s what you’re getting at!