Galchenyuk and Gallagher to stay in Montreal

kidssweb

Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin met with Alex Galchenyuk and Brendan Gallagher Monday morning and told both players they will be staying in Montreal for the entire season.

Galchenyuk will live with his mother and sister in Montreal, while Gallagher will move in with veteran defenceman Josh Gorges.

Galchenyuk was on what was, in effect, a five-game trial. The Canadiens could have returned him to the junior Sarnia Sting after his fifth NHL game - that would be Tuesday’s home game against Winnipeg – without using up the first year of his three-year, entry-level contract.

But Galchenyuk has shown he can play at the NHL level. He and Gallagher have brought a level of energy and creativity to the third line with Brandon Prust. Galchenyuk has a goal and two assists in four games, while Gallagher has a goal and an assist in three games. Gallagher was likely to stay because his entry-level deal kicked in when he joined the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs in the fall.

Galchenyuk was the third overall pick in last June’s draft and said his goal was to make the NHL this season. But there were some doubts that would be possible because the Canadiens traditionally bring young players along slowly and Galchenyuk missed most of last season after major knee surgery. But the lockout helped Galchenyuk because he tore it up with Sarnia in the OHL and then helped Team USA win the gold medal at the world junior championship.

Galchenyuk is the first 18-year-old to play with the Canadiens since defenceman Petr Svoboda in 1984.

Galchenyuk returns favour with assist on Gallagher goal, by Pat Hickey

Pacioretty’s appendix puts P.K. on back burner, by Dave Stubbs

Larry Robinson toyed with idea of coaching Habs, by Jim Matheson of Postmedia News

There’s a danger in rushing young draft picks into NHL, by Stu Cowan

Photo gallery from Sunday’s win over Devils

(Photo by Dario Ayala/The Gazette)

Clearly PK and Meehan saw the alternatives provided by JB just minutes earlier and accepted the Ball which MB offered! :) way to go JB!

2. Steeltown Hab says:

Try and say PK isn’t a Team first guy now.

Huge bargain for MTL

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

And in the same vain, say MB didn’t do well in this negotiation for the team.

• rnbws.ncronwrcr says:

PK isn’t a Team first guy now.

hmm. . .
      worked o_O

• K-hab25 says:

He had no leverage or options, spare me the “PK took a smaller deal for the team” schtick, he took it because he had too.

• twilighthours says:

No he didn’t. He could have asked for a trade.

• K-hab25 says:

Yup and Bergevin could’ve told him nope. There’s two sides to this, not just PK’s side. By the way Bergevin did a great job not caving, like you would’ve done.

• The Jackal says:

Yeah yeah ;)

_________________________
            “PK Subban is an integral part of the team, a hard-working player who is extremely talented, and part of any bright future the Habs may strive for.” – Gunnery Captain Obvious & Brigadier General Knowledge.

• twilighthours says:

Like I would have done… I have not made one single post about what pK should get or what bergevin should do. But that was nice, I liked that.

• K-hab25 says:

You have responded negatively to several of my posts saying he should take the bridge contract though. Funny how short some of your memories are, yesterday Bergevin was low balling PK and running him out of town and today PK signs the supposed low ball offer and all of you praise PK.Naa, Yay Bergevin!!

• How much will Subban be worth in 2 years? 6 million plus per year!!!!

• twilighthours says:

Those comments may have read like that, but I really didn’t have a dog in this fight. I just wanted subban to remain a hab. I don’t care much for salary concerns, provided the contract isn’t preventing the team from being better (like gomez). I think this contract is well below subban’s real value though, so yes bergevin did an excellent job.

If I took issue with you, it’s that I read that you were taking shots at Pk’s character (about which we know, little, I believe).

• K-hab25 says:

I don’t like the yapping, then turtling garbage he does, but honestly I don’t care if a player is the biggest p**ck on earth, as long as helps the team win.

• How much will it cost in 2 years? 6 million Plus?

3. K-hab25 says:

So Subban ends up signing the deal that some of us said he should have a month ago. With that being said, I’m extremely happy he’s back, not only because he’s a good young defenseman, but because Kaberle is going to be eating hotdogs. Hopefully Subban plays tomorrow, it will interesting to see how long it takes to get acclimated. My guess, not long.

• The Jackal says:

Welcome back ;)

_________________________

• K-hab25 says:

“Welcome back”

What is that suppose to mean? PK signed for exactly what I’ve been saying he should, Del Zotto money. I never once said he isn’t a good defenseman, he’s just not an elite defenseman, yet anyway.

4. SouthOttawaHabFan says:

Edit: WOAH, JUST HEARD THE NEWS!!!

I hope it dosen’t upset the chemistry tho……

5. punkster says:

I’m looking forward to the retractions, explanations, denials etc.

***SUBBANG BABY!!!***

6. Mattyleg says:

Francois Gagnon tweets:
    “Je peux vous confirmer que le contrat de deux ans de PK Subban est d’une valeur de 5,75 millions $”

—Hope Springs Eternal—

All Hail MB and his patience. And I look forward to watching PK play and am thankful he signed.

Now what the heck do we fight about it…. oh yah Eller!

8. Mattyleg says:

PK trending at #7 on Twitter!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

9. Cal says:

We now go back to our regularly scheduled program. :)
    Good job, MB.

He had no alternative, Two years to show he is worth the big bucks.

11. SouthOttawaHabFan says:

did get moded?

Great News indeed! Seems like Fair deal.

13. jedimyrmidon says:

Subban signed! Such good news!

Can’t wait to have him back in the lineup!

14. Habilis says:

“Louis Jean‏@LouisJean_TVA
    Contract details for PK Subban deal: 2million in year 1 & 3.75 in year 2.”

Seems pretty fair.

15. jo_maka says:

PK is back home. For 2 years.

It’s up to him to make mince meat of MB during this infamous transition period and break the bank after 2 years.

I’m confident he will :)

16. Blondie says:

Woohoo! Can’t wait to see him in his first game. ‘Bout friggin’ time! :)

17. L Elle says:

8 pm conference call. Does this mean we can go back to hating Kaberle? :)

18. ZepFan2 says:

Well yesterday I said he’d be signed by Wednesday. Looks like I was 2 days off.

Good stuff!

———————————————————————-
    Ka is a wheel.

For Your Life

19. Stevie.Ray says:

So PK signs the two-year deal for the good of the team. Can we still call him selfish?

20. punkster says:

Let the back pedaling begin!

***FREE PK!!!***

21. Ncognito says:

2 years @ 2.5 per for PK

22. Propwash says:

FINALLY!!!

Now to win more games!

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

23. 24moreCups says:

Subban signed two year deal!!

24. habsfan0 says:

About time!

When’s his 1st game?

25. Mattyleg says:

Just been confirmed!
    2 Years.

Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS

“2 year contract for PK Subban with the Canadiens.”

—Hope Springs Eternal—

26. Hobie Hansen says:

Subban has signed, apparently!

27. Mattyleg says:

PK WITH THE HABS!!!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

28. Bripro says:

Here’s a great pic, for anyone who hasn’t seen it.
    Both with great big smiles…

29. Hobie Hansen says:

In regards to Charles Hudon, I think everyone needs to relax a bit, IMO.

When he was first mentioned as being a member of team Canada’s junior team, people went bananas as if he were the next Martin St. Louis or Luc Robitaille. He was supposedly going to play on one of the top two lines an be an offensive threat.

That was eventually clarified and the real story was that he was going to be used in a defensive role on the 3rd line because he plays a great all around game. Then he was injured, which really pissed me off, and missed the tournament.

If he makes it to the NHL, which is still a long shot, I don’t think he’s headed for the top 6 there either. Hopefully he fits in somewhere? But it’s not like he’s some prolific scorer or anything. He isn’t putting up huge numbers in the Q either.

Kyle Chipchura played a great shutdown roll and could pot a few goals in the process in junior but he never panned out.

Caution is all I’m saying….

• Habfan10912 says:

Agree Hobie. Just seems he’s developing at a nice place since the draft but I don’t believe many “experts” see him as a top 6 forward. Yet. :)

———————————–

• CanadienBoy says:

Right on the money Hobie

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Excellent points, but the main difference is Chipchura was a first-rounder and Hudon was a 5th-rounder.

If Hudon turns out to be a 3rd-liner with potential to fill in on a 2nd line, that will be a steal for that draft position.

• CanadienBoy says:

I’m worry Leblanc could be following the same path

While I understand the point you are making, having watched many of the highlights of Hudons goalscoring, he seems to have much better hands than what Chipchura has. I don’t say this like he will be top 6, but while being extremely good at the defensive side of the game, he does have some creativity.

BUt your point is well taken. And as Jan says, as a 5th round pick, if he makes the NHL that is a great pick.

• Vinny Red says:

In his defense, Chipchura was never really the same player after be blew out his knee. He lost a step and never got it back

• jedimyrmidon says:

Caution is definitely warranted for the vast majority of prospects. What sticks out in the case of Hudon is his intelligence as his ability to read other players and their intentions is pretty impressive.

Anyways, I think the reason many get excited about him (and should) is because his contributions to his team’s success are very good for an 18 year old.

30. Les Canayens says:

Any news of Nathan Beaulieu? I noticed he was not part of the training camp, unlike Tinordi.

31. Habfan10912 says:

Getting ready for Bruins/ Canes. Sure hope it’s not the NESN feed otherwise sound gets muted.

———————————–

32. JohnBellyful says:

There’s been a lot of discussion over what the Canadiens offered Subban and what he’s asking. Here are some of the options available to MB:

Lowball – Two years, $2.2M and $2.9M
    Hardball – One year, $25,000 a game
    Screwball – Two years, 35 million pesos (year one), 60 million rupees (year two)
    Slimeball – Six years, $3M annually, won’t release photos of post-game showers
    Highball – Six years, $7M a year
    Blackball – Don’t call us, we’ll call you

33. 24moreCups says:

Just went to check her out, she’s really not that pretty at all. And I gotta agree about Prices sister.

Do we have any Bulldogs in the AHL all star game tonight? Thought I read someone replaced Gallagher perhaps.

35. HabFab says:

From chatter on twitter looks like;
    - Galchenyuk will room at Prices and
    - Gallagher will room at Gorges

36. kmachabs27 says:

does Budaj get the start tommorow night? I wouldnt be surprised. Back to Back games. Definately 1 of the nights. Im putting my money on tommorow.

37. GuyDoon says:

FYI: Lapresse has an article where Gorges says ( I paraphrase) the only advise he would give the Gallys is to only speak if they have something to contribute to the team; otherwise, shut up and listen to the coachs and vets. Considering the reports that the Gallys have been nothing but exemplary teammates so far, I was wondering if that was a message intended for soemone else …. ?

• Bripro says:

I just watched a CTV sports report with Brian Wilde from the dressing room after this morning’s practice and Gorges had nothing but the highest praise for the kids. Comments (from memory) such as:
      They’re exciting to watch. I love watching those two kids flying together.
      They bring energy to the ice. They’re so talented… and on and on…
      La Presse reporter might have mis-interpreted, or translated it wrong in his head.

38. HabFanSince72 says:

Huge flood downtown. Rapids raging down University and MacTavish.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

39. Irishhabsfan says:

Loved everyone’s play yesterday,
    Hey Prusty my son-in-law,Mike O’Neill and I are working on your mate Powers to turn him from a wings fan to one supporting the Habs. Your goal last night sure helped the cause.
    Leaf fans here in London are ending up with broken ankles because they cannot get off the wagon quick enough!

40. HABSsince92 says:

So here we are at nearly 6pm and no word from the Habs or Subban today…….what happened to all the talk Friday and Saturday that Meehan and PK would have a response today?

PK please sign.

41. frozengolf says:

How about this: Would you trade Subban to the hated Bruins for Doug Hamilton and a pick? That IMO would be tough to turn down.

_________________________________________________________
    “We know that hockey is where we live, where we can best meet and overcome pain and wrong and death. Life is just a place where we spend time between games.”

• jctremblay says:

If we HAD to trade him, that’s as good a trade as you could ask for. Bruins are very high on DH though..WE’d get a similiar amount of potential D goodness back there. Still want PK signed to the Habs. He’s got an extra bit of charisma and a somewhat volatile personality that I think this team needs.

42. Although I have suggested several trade possibilities for PK, I really feel that the best thing for the Habs would be to sign him. He has a great skill set which can only improve with further experience. I would like to see him shut up on the ice and let his play speak for him,though – a little too much hot dog in him.
    Play Blunden, he is a big, strong kid and tough as well.

43. Habilis says:

Crazy stat of the day:

After 4 games, Andrei Markov has 3 game winning goals. This equals his career high, set in the 08/09 season.

3 in 4 games. Un-freakin-real.

44. Bill says:

Here’s a short list of things no one on this site could possibly know:

*the dollars Subban has requested
    *the term Subban has requested
    *how Subban is “in the room”

If no one knows these things, it follows that any post painting Subban as greedy, contentious, egotistical, or cancerous is based on ignorance.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• ed lopaz says:

I still wish Kirk Muller was our coach.

Als coaches never speak a word of French.

I actually had a chance to talk hockey with him for a few minutes, and he’s as real in person as he seems on TV

• punkster says:

LOGIC?…FACTS?…TRUTH?…MY HEAD WOULD EXPLODE…NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO…

***FREE PK!!!***

• neumann103 says:

True.

My surprise at the speed of which many posters have packed PK onto a bus for Philly or Long Island based on hearsay is exceeded only by my astonishment at discovering how Lars Eller is apparently the root of all evil.

I thought those were two excellent building blocks for the future.

“Et le but!”

• habsnyc says:

From PK’s public comments, it is difficult not to characterize him as egotistical. People on the site are responding to what has been reported in the mainstream press about negotiations.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• New says:

You are very right Bill. The whole saga is full off extremes, but not from PK or Bergevin. The nonsense comes from the media and fans. Which explains why one group plays hockey and the other group can only watch.

• HardHabits says:

Same goes for all those who accuse the Habs management and Marc Bergevin of whatever.

• Phil C says:

We do know that Meehan gave the following examples as comparables in a radio interview: Eberle, Hall, Seguin, Skinner, and Kane. They all have long term deals at $5.2M-$6M per year. These numbers are consistent with reports from respected journalist like Bob McKenzie. So combined with what his agent has said on the record and what being reported, I think we can infer what was requested by PK. What we don’t know is what the minimum is he would accept.

As for how he is in the room, I agree that we really don’t know what his teammates think of him.

45. GuyDoon says:

I’m not suggesting the Habs and PK do this, but I wonder if it can be done under the new CBA:
    1 – You trade PK to someone (say Columbus) for a roster player and 1st.
    2 – Before PK signs there, you send, and he signs, an offer sheet to return.
    3 – You pick Mackinnon or Jones at the draft.

• F50Marco says:

That team would instantly match the deal and it would make MB look sooooo bad in the eyes of other Gm’s that i dont think he’d ever be able to trade a player again plus depending on the price you would have to give back draft picks anyway. Thats a move that puts you in a black book. :P if it worked though, Daaaammmmmnnnn !!! that would be sweet.

• SlovakHab says:

Hahaha. That would be soo funny if they didn’t match.

• coutNY says:

I suppose if they were dumb enough not to have in there agreement terms that he must sign before the trade…. but I am thinking the lawyers would cover the scenario before relinquishing a first rounder in that they wouldn’t be trading just for his rights. Second, Subban would have to agree to the offer sheet (why would he since he doesn’t like what we are offering now) plus hypothetically, if this did happen the Blue Jackets have the right to match because they have his Ristricted rights or would need to be compensated for the offer sheet with picks, which would be in the 1st round range for him to sign back. Going back to basically the beginning of the whole mess.

• GuyDoon says:

True that, but seeing the team go right now, which 1st rouder would you rather have: MTL’s or Columbus’? hehehe
        And PK has said many times he has the CH tattooed to his heart. He’d have to be in on it. You’re right Marco, where things go bad is what it would do to MB’s rep.

46. BJ says:

Well guys thanks for anther day of Habs hockey wisdom on HIO. Time to head up to the rack (German time zone). So here’s hoping that when I read the news in the am, that PK is signed, ready to go to helps us out.

47. habs-fan-84 says:

Even though I’m a proponent of signing Subban to a “longer” term deal at a discount now, it’s also good to read different peoples opinion. I found this from the TSN site:

“Montreal fans, here is an example of why you dont sign PK for more than 2 years. There was this d-man who was predicted to be a Norris trophy winner for years, the next Chris Pronger. His rookie year was full of hi-lights, goals and hits, and the second year was even better. He eventually signed an extention for serious term and serious money…….Dion Phaneuf. Would you trade for Dion Phaneuf now? No, but after his ELC? Yes every team wanted him. That is the purpose of the bridge contract. If Dion had signed a bridge deal, do you think he would be getting the money and stupid term he has now?”

• Steeltown Hab says:

Dion early in his career is a good comparable to PK. Nice post.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• ABHabsfan says:

big difference between PK and Phaneuf; PK can skate, forwards and backwards. Phaneuf’s shot is really hard though, just ask Lupul

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
        Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• otter649 says:

Dion played his best hockey playing beside Roman Hamerlik……

• ed lopaz says:

I think Phaneuf looks real good this year.

Composed. And very tough to play against.

• gauver says:

I agree that he looks good…after four games. But he is not worth a cap hit of $6.5 million.

• habs-fan-84 says:

To be honest, I think he gets a lot of flak especially in Toronto. I think he’s a very serviceable Dman, just not a top 2 IMO and definitely not worth the cap hit. Too much expectations put on him early on.

I have to admit, when Phaneuf first broke into the NHL I was also someone who thought he’d be a top defenseman. I was wrong…Admittedly, I have projected PK to also be a top dman in the league.

• ed lopaz says:

I loved Phaneuf at the WJC, and he was lights out for Calgary his first few seasons. No one could have predicted what happened.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Also his $6.5m annual cap hit from back then would be roughly $8M in current dollars (prorated by cap). In other words, nowhere near what SUbban is probably asking for.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• ABHabsfan says:

Phaneuf is -7 in his last 2 games. 0 pts, 0shots, and he broke the arm of Toronto’s best player. Tough to play WITH I’d say

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
        Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• tophab says:

worst +/- in nhl -8

• Mike D says:

I wrote a rather long-winded post yesterday and made that exact same point using Dion as an example.

Jay Bouwmeester and Mike Green are two more examples of Dmen who looked like can’t miss superstars once upon a time, but are now over-priced players whose salaries burden their team’s salary caps.

- Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• ed lopaz says:

Subban is the whole package.

If a team is going to invest long term in any player, for my money, it would be in a player like Subban.

Losing Subban this way, or even trading him and then trying to find another #1 d-man in a couple of years, is bad management

• Mike D says:

Ed, my post had nothing to do with Subban being, or not being, the whole package. Nor did I reference anything about the team losing him.

I was simply pointing out that in the past, other young Dman showed tons of potential and looked like they were going to become superstars, but turned out to be a lot less than what people had anticipated for them.

That doesn’t mean I think PK will suffer the same fate. It does mean that I support the idea of a bridge contract. But I also think it should be for about 3.5-3.75mil per season as I think PK has earned that.

- Honestly yours
          Twitter: @de_benny

• F50Marco says:

Good post. Very true and yet while i agree wholeheartedly, there have been Dmen that have flourished after getting a long term deal also.

I agree though and i think in this particular scenario PK hasnt quite done enough to warrant a huge pay day but is the risk of loosing him worth it? Im not sure. There aren’t a whole lot of young Dmen like him out there so sometimes taking a risk has to be strongly considered.

There is max cap on what i personally would give him and anything above that would warrant a trade to Columbus to spite him, but i truly believe Pk isn’t asking for the moon.

He’ll sign soon enough IMO and the price wont be that ridiculous but it will be higher than what Price, Gorges and Pacioretty got and i think he merits a bit more based on his current value.

48. Steeltown Hab says:

RE: The Gallys, really the perfect situation for both. Gorges n Gallagher have a strong friendship that dates back to last yrs training camp.

As for PK I think it’s safe to say at least one offer sheet has come his way. He could easily signed and used it as leverage. Habs fan growing up wants to be a Hab for life, and people are hating on the guy.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• coutNY says:

I highly doubt PK has got and turned down an offer worth any more than he has received from Montreal, or it would have been leaked just as Montreal’s numbers had been…

As for hating if MB caves, I think Price and Max Pac would be the ones hating, simply for the fact that they had to wait and prove themselves for their payday, while knowing if they would have just have whined and sat out they could have “got theirs” too…

49. twilighthours says:

While I am wallowing in the seemingly impending departure of PK, I have taken a moment to appreciate the awesomeness of the two kids sticking for the year.

50. billylove says:

At this point, I really don’t care who the perceived “winner” or “loser” will be after the contract squable is over. I just want it over! With PK playing this team can make the playoffs and compete. Yes, there are weaknesses, but I really like the energy and if Markov stays healthy, and he looks very sound, the boys could overachieve THIS year. So, get the deal done!

51. gmd says:

Scott Gomez now becomes useful!

52. jctremblay says:

Hey, anyone have a good online source for Hab’s jerseys? Not sure what I really want but probably willing to spend just under 150 bucks for a nice one.
    Also, if anyone has a line on where to get a Habs pocket schedule, I’m all ears and eyes. I still like cardboard in a digital age..lol. Someone clued me in a few years back and I miss having that in my wallet.
    I say PK signs this week just because he’s itching to play and sees the team is on a bit of a roll. 2 years..prove your worth and then you can get paid like a Sultan…

53. Danno says:

PK please sign. This year is going to be completely different.

It’s not just about the money.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

54. Morenz7 says:

Habs sit No. 7 in those silly TSN “power rankings.” Surely the kiss of death.

55. Castor says:

Did PK’s brain ego injury heal up yet?

56. habsfan0 says:

I’m not sure if I’m right, but most contending teams(Boston,Philadelphia)are up against it as far as cap room is concerned,particularly with next year’s diminishing number. So,IMHO,an offer sheet for PK that might be difficult for Bergevin to match will in all likelihood come from a non contending team with lots of cap room to spare.

• mrhabby says:

winnipeg.

iam of the opinion that no offer sheet will be given, hardly ever used.

• Habfan10912 says:

Hope you’re right. Someone mentioned the KHL today so I resumed biting my nails.

———————————–

• savethepuck says:

I wouldn’t be lumping the Flyers into the contending teams just yet. They have to start winning first.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Bripro says:

Unless there’s an exchange of players.
      Personally, I’m still optimistic that this will get done.
      But because of the cap, PK will have to settle for less $ for the next 2 years, regardless of contract length.

• Habilis says:

I just don’t see it happening. Any GM who tenders an offer to PK has to weigh the pros and cons of such a move.

Pros: You might, if you overpay through the nose, get PK Subban.

Cons: Any reasonable offer will be matched faster than Boone can eat a poutine. Whatever the outcome, you have now made the Montreal Canadiens, one of the richest franchises in the sport, your enemy.

Is it really worth ruffling the Habs feathers for the minute chance of landing PK? The Habs could do some serious damage to any team in a couple of years when some of the current contracts expire.

57. Captain aHab says:

So it seems I now have the flu that turned my wife into an amorphous mass for 7 days, she who is never sick. Has anyone had it yet? Should I just blow my brains out now and be done with it? Or do I just let it split open on its own from the pressure building up in there? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Didn’t get around to get the shot this year….yep…dumb.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• neumann103 says:

I had it. The severe … ummmmmm…. explosive effects only lasted three days but I could still barely eat for another three and even a week after that I was still nowhere near 100%.

It is pretty nasty

“Et le but!”

• Habfan10912 says:

Not fun. Battled it for two weeks. The intense symptoms lasted 5 days. During one 48 hour stretch I prayed I would fall asleep. And oh yeah, I had my flu shot. Hope you guys feel better soon. Try to stay hydrated.

———————————–

58. junyab says:

Do offer sheets have to made openly and publicly? Or can one be made directly to PK’s camp, and if turned down, remain unknown to the media, general public, or the habs.

59. Bill says:

Fantastic news about Galchenyuk and Gallagher. I especially love how well they work together and the idea of them making the team at the same time. Both have tons of talent and play hard, and I bet they have to argue over which one of them gets to crash the net next shift.

Full Breezer 4 Life

60. Rudy says:

Does chuck’s sister have a job? I can see her getting into trouble in Montreal more than her brother

61. Rudy says:

Wonder what Josh’s fiancée thinks of the new roommate

So now with Brian Burke gone, the airwaves in Toronto are full of calls to trade Kessel. Most have narrowed Toronto’s needs down to the following:
    A Goalie, 2-3 defencemen, a shut down center and a first line center.

Amazing how once Burke is out of the picture the media are much tougher in the market to call out the Leafs as terrible. When Burke was still here, many of the radio hosts wouldn’t call for this for fear Burke would give them a tongue lashing.

• junyab says:

You don’t think the lack of Kessel media trade talk last year had more do with Kessel achieving 6th in scoring last year?!?!?

I don’t think Burke has anything to do with it at all.

• neumann103 says:

I think a lot of it is that the natural tendency to overvalue the Leafs in the Toronto media gets shaken up a bit when they all start to ask “what happened?” And the Burke firing shocked them.

As I am in Toronto I see a lot of the Leafs, their media and their fans. While last year the Habs were terrible I recall having the conversation that the Leafs were at least one player shy of MTL in each of the following categories:
        Actual NHL calibre goaltenders
        Top 6 forwards
        Top 4 defense
        but they just don’t see this because of the Leaf echo chamber. The Burke firing just damaged the walls of the echo chamber a bit but have no fear, it is being rebuilt as we speak.

“Et le but!”

• shiram says:

With only a year left on his contract after this condensed season, I doubt the Laffs get all of that, or even close with just Kessel.

• Propwash says:

It amazes me how lousy the Leafs are being run. It almost makes me feel sorry for them. At any rate, I’ve grown to hate Boston and Philly more than Toronto.

____________________
      DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

63. Captain aHab says:

So is PK talking it over with Meehan’s family now?

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

64. Propwash says:

Couldn’t help but chuckle at this tweet from Gorges

josh gorges ‏@jgorges26
    I can’t believe my first son is gonna be a 20 year old who eats more than I do @BGALLY17 #grocerybillsgonnabehuge

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Captain aHab says:

Is Gorges married?

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

Don’t think so, but went looking for the answer, and found that wiki seems to think his nickname is Boss, as in Josh the Boss. Has anyone ever heard that before?, I don’t think I have.

• Propwash says:

Not sure if he is, but listening to him in the room talking to the guys on 24CH, he definitely seems to be a leader.

____________________
          DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

Oh I agree Prop, absolute leader and you also get the impression he isn’t going to be leading Gallagher down the wrong path.

• Ozmodiar says:

See my “post PK signing line-up” from the other day:

The Iron Curtain / The General
          The Boss / Soobie-Doo
          The Cube / The Army Knife

Leftovers:
          Over-cooked spaghetti (22)
          Vegetable Lasagna (68)

• The Jackal says:

Maybe he is a big Springsteen fan

_________________________

Thankfully Gorges can afford it, what a great idea to have the B.C. kid live with the BC Veteran. Another small but solid move.

65. Strummer says:

Guess who’s paying for a team dinner on the next road game at an exorbitantly over-priced restaurant?

Chucky and Gally- get that credit card limit upped.
    ______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

66. rhino514 says:

For the record, I think he will sign. I was just saying that if he doesn´t, it will just validate to me that he shouldn´t be a hab and we are better off.
    But he´ll sign.

P.S. PK is also from Toronto and so often expresses how much he loves Toronto.
    Cammalleri was also from TO. But did he go on about it? No, he would keep talking about what an honor it was to play for the Montreal Canadiens.
    Even a high maintenance player can be classy and humble when called for.

67. ooder says:

so what’s with plekanec standing so far away when he takes a face off.
    it’s really weird, i haven’t seen anyone do that. he jsut sticks his stick out and is a good foot from the puck drop instead of being right in there
    ——————
    The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• Keeper64 says:

I totally agree. I don’t see anyway he’ll ever improve on faceoffs when he simply slaps at the puck. Granted he doesn’t have the size to out-muscle other guys, but the way he sits back, he has no leverage at all. Surely some coaches see that this won’t work????

• Captain aHab says:

Actually, he seems to be waved off 8 out of 10 times I see him take a face-off.

—————-
        Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• ooder says:

sometimes it’s not even about outmuscling but just about quickness… like you said he has 0 leverage in his stick when he is so far away.
        it’s as if he is expecting to lose the face off, and doesn’t want to get tangled up so he can go backcheck or forecheck
        ——————
        The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• neumann103 says:

If your head is farther away the angle allows you a better view of the puck dropping and can sometimes allow you to see the puck better.

I think if you are working on timing or anticipation rather than outmuscling a guy there could be advantages.

That being said I don’t really accept the premise that Plekanec’s face off technique is particularly weird or lacking. Last year (in a terrible year and playing against the best opposition) he was a 49.1% faceoff guy which tied him with Henrik Zetterberg and put him ahead of players like
      R.J. Umberger,
      Danny Briere,
      Adam Henrique,
      Tim Connolly,
      David Backes,
      Patrik Berglund,
      Dave Bolland,
      Mike Fisher,
      Vincent Lecavalier,
      Patrick Sharp,
      Sam Gagner,
      stop me any time

“Et le but!”

68. John Q Public says:

IF any body watched the game yesterday they would have seen an elite team play the Habs.

We competed well but in the second period when there was mostly 5 on 5 hockey we had the game taken to us a bit.

This is where Subban is needed and will make us very competitive against all comers.

Why does anybody care how much he makes. Your not paying him.

Why is management not prepared to get this done quickly is perplexing.

Just goes to show how greedy they really are.

• HardHabits says:

It’s a little thing called cap space.

• Bripro says:

I don’t think greed has anything to do with it.
      When you give in to demands a first time, you set a precedent.
      The Habs have always had a way of negotiating, and all of their players, including key players like Price and Max, have all received bridge contracts the first time around.
      It think if anyone’s being greedy, it’s PK, for
      1) not taking his agent’s advice
      2) thinking he’s worth that much so soon. Other players were willing to follow the norm. What makes him more special than them?

EDIT: And what HH said…

• Mats Naslund says:

Why does either side need to be portrayed as greedy?

Its ridiculous how people are constantly attributing these traits to a guy who they’ve never met simply because they want the team to save some capspace.

• Habsrule1 says:

I am so on the fence. We don’t know what his agent is telling him. Maybe his agent is advising him to get more. As for “other players”, why does that matter? If a co-worker of mine was making less than me coming in to the same job, I would not want to make less cause they are. Why not look at it another way If PK manages to have an exception made and skips the bridge contract, he is doing his younger teammates and future teammates a favor, because then they do may have that option when the time comes.

I just don’t see greed. If I come into a job and think I can do it better than those doing it now, why would I not ask for more money?

That said, he’s going to sign. He and the team would both be crazy if anything else happens.

Go Habs Go!!

There is this thing about the salary cap which may be a factor.

Given the Habs just paid GOmez not to play anymore, this isn’t about the Habs being greedy, as much as trying to set the table for future negotiations with players coming off of Entry Level Contracts.

• Captain aHab says:

Weird….the Habs WON the game I watched.

They can’t give Subban anything he wants, whether you, I or they pay for it. If they start doing that they’ll be in cap hell very soon and you’ll be one of the folks asking for management heads to roll.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• John Q Public says:

A we have some space. its there job to fit him in.
        B precendent my Ass. Everyone is different. Why was Nyuk given the max? Hadn’t played a game for us.
        C We don’t know the specifics about any of these negotiations.

What I trying to say is we wait for these players to come along so we can be competitive and win. Why can’t either side see that it hurts both parties here.

• Mattyleg says:

Galchenyuk was given the maximum rookie contract. Like most rookies are.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Captain aHab says:

Well, if THAT’S what you meant to say, you didn’t say it real well in your OP. Sounded like a 100% management bash.

—————-
          Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• Strummer says:

A. just because we have space giving it all to PK would be irresponsible.

B. Nyuk was the 3rd overall pick- that’s the going rate. PK was a second rounder.

C. And yet you assume the team is being greedy as per your post at 2:59PM

______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

That was a long time ago, HI/O policy states that after 20 minutes of posting a position on something, the complete opposite is acceptable. :)

• Strummer says:

In my best sarcastic font:

Thanks for presenting a well-balanced post that presents both sides of the argument.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Propwash says:

They’ve signed Patches short term only to extend his contract afterwards.

____________________
      DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Phil C says:

I care as a fan because in a cap environment, if you overpay for a player, you make the team less competitive. You also devalue to asset (ie make it harder to trade).

That being said, the reported offer seems really low. MB and staff have proven to be so astute in every other way, I can’t believe they are undervaluing him through incompetence. They must have something in mind, perhaps a trade they deem to be great.

69. Bripro says:

The kids’ reaction after this morning’s practice.

Apologies if it was posted already.

• Captain aHab says:

All seems to point to 2 kids REALLY enjoying the game. That’s the attitude we want and I’m sure it’s a big boost in the locker room.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

If there is ever an offer sheet for Subban the Habs just have to match it. Taking the picks would be very, very risky.

I stand corrected, but I believe $5,046,585 is one of the cut-off points for compensation levels. Let’s say another team goes over that mark which would mean 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Any team signing Subban would immediately get a major boost in the standings. For many teams, it would mean an excellent chance of making the playoffs. That means the 1st rounder is in the bottom half. You’re not looking at Stamkos material at that level. 2nd round picks have a 25% chance of making the grade and having a decent NHL career. 3rd rounders start to become shots in the dark. Not to mention that all of these picks would need at least three years before they could ever take a regular, productive shift in the NHL. The player going the other way will be 26 by then and in the prime of his career. All of those small faults in his game should be ironed out. He is now a bonafide Cup building block for his new team.

I think you also have to wonder what impact this move might have upon the rest of the Habs. Just when the team takes a gaint step forward, it immediately takes two steps back due to it’s own misjudgement.

• Hobie Hansen says:

If it were two first round picks I’d let the team take Subban. One first rounder doesn’t cut it.

• krob1000 says:

Anyone know the rules on once an offer sheet is signed….is there a period where the team could still tradea player…for example say Subban is offered 5 million with 1st and 3rd compensation…could another team call MB and say hey, we are willing to give you a roeter ready player with potential (ie Schenn, Couturier, Huberdeau….a 1st pick and a 3rd) or anything along those lines…or does the offer sheet nullify trading ability

• Ton says:

what if they trade him and get a young forward with a top 4 d would you do it? ex sean couturier and an experienced d…….habs would i bet! it would keep their salary structure in place and a happy dressing room!

71. OnlyHabs says:

guys, my friend is close to him. PK’s signing this week with the habs. No joke. This is as close as close sources go.

also, just for fun. The NHL will never work in small US markets:

• BJ says:

Sounds good. Hopefully PK comes in as a happy camper and contributes big time. Let him have a couple of good years and he can then cash in if it fits the team budget. The cap is a juggling act, and hopefully if you create a team that has a crack at the Cup you can budget to maintain the team and not mortgage for 1 chance at it.

• Mattyleg says:

Great to hear!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• aemarchand11 says:

I want to believe you.

• junyab says:

I highly doubt PK is telling his friends that he’s close to signing, let alone his loose tongued friends.

• bleedhabs81 says:

If he is going to sign this week, why isn’t he signed now?

Why say this week? Is the offer going to change? Does PK have a hot date in Toronto at the start of the week, so he is just waiting to for that before he has to head to Montreal?

I don’t buy it. Why this week? What has changed?

• OnlyHabs says:

bet you guys feel stupid now? I didn’t need to explain myself further than MY FRIEND IS HIS FRIEND. There’s only 4M of us on this island and like 40% of us are English speaking. Within that, how many are in the same age range? Therefore…if someone tells you they know someone…they likely do.