Galchenyuk still not skating as Habs return to practice; Price doesn’t make Vézina list (with practice video)

After enjoying a two-day vacation following their first-round playoff sweep of the Tampa Bay Lightning, the Canadiens returned to the ice for a practice Friday morning in Brossard.

The only player who didn’t take part was Alex Galchenyuk, who hasn’t skated since suffering a lower-body injury during a game in Chicago on April 9. Coach Michel Therrien is hoping Galchenyuk will be able to play in the second round of the playoffs, but no timetable has been set yet for the forward’s return.

Travis Moen, who has almost fully recovered from a concussion suffered in a fight with Boston’s Kevan Miller on March 24, wore a full-contact jersey and skated on a line with Ryan White and George Parros at practice.

“I feel good,” Moen told reporters in Brossard after practice. “The last four or five days I’ve been getting up there skating-wise, so I’ll be 100 per cent very shortly.”

The Canadiens will face the winner of the Boston-Detroit series in the second round. The Bruins took a 3-1 lead in that best-of-seven series with a 3-2 overtime win Thursday night. Game 5 is Saturday in Boston (3 p.m., TSN, NBC, RDS).

The NHL on Friday announced the three finalists for the Vézina Trophy as the league’s top goaltender and the Canadiens’ Carey Price didn’t make it. The finalists are Tampa Bay’s Ben Bishop, Boston’s Tuukka Rask and Colorado’s Semyon Varlamov. The 30 NHL general managers vote on the award.

Price posted a 34-20-5 record this season with six shutouts, one less than league-leader Rask. Price had a 2.32 goals-against average and a .927 save percentaage. You can see the complete NHL regular-season goalie stats by clicking here.

“I’m very surprised. Carey deserves to be there,” Therrien told reporters about Price being snubbed for the Vézina. “All three goalies who were finalists had excellent seasons, make no mistake about that, but Carey should be right there with them because he had an unbelievable year.”

Here’s how the Habs’ lines and defence pairings looked at Friday’s practice:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Vanek
Prust-Plekanec-Gallagher
Bourque-Eller -Gionta
Bournival-Briere-Weise
Moen-White-Parros

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Bouillon-Weaver
Tinordi-Murray

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Canadiens return to practice, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Something special is happening with Habs, by Gazette Sports Editor Stu Cowan

Playoff Notebook, Canadiens.com

Post-practice interviews (video), Canadiens.com

Bishop, Rask, Varlamov named Vezina Trophy finalists, NHL.com

No individual trophies for Habs? Hickey on Hockey Notebook

Therrien mulls tough lineup decisions, NHL.com

Former Hab Ryan moving on from the game, by Pat Hickey

Hard to explain NHL’s disciplinary actions, by Pat Hickey

Ginette Reno a much-needed luck charm for Habs, Letters to the Sports Editor

RDS’s Chantal Machabee celebrating 25 years on the job, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Cherry comes to MacLean’s defence on Twitter, montrealgazette.com

Hamilton Bulldogs season recap, Canadiens.com

1. boing007 says:

Captain Serious! Tonight’s MVP. Cue Chelsea Dagger.

Richard R

2. Slackman says:

Man is Perry ever a shmuck. He spears whoever he wants in the stones and when he gets it he dives like sperm whale.

“When the going get’s weird, the weird turn pro”

3. punkster says:

Wow…Hawks!

Release the Subbang!!!

4. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

I like seeing a lot of these series going at least six games. A Red Wing win tomorrow would be just what the doctor ordered.

X X X X 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

5. Chris says:

There is no Vezina “snub”…you could easily pick any of Rask, Varlamov, Price, Bishop, Bobrovsky, Lundqvist, or Lehtonen and you can make a pretty compelling case for their Vezina candidacy for a host of reasons. Ultimately, the NHL GM’s probably picked the three guys that had the best case to be made. I can’t fault them too much. Price probably finished a close 4th or 5th…I’ll be curious to see how tight the voting goes this season. There were a lot of fine goaltending performances this season.

Congratulations to my Guelph Storm…off to the OHL finals after dispatching the Erie Otters with a 5-0 win tonight to win the series in 5 games. For the record, the Storm outscored 26-12 on the series. Anytime you can hang more than 5 goals per game on a team as strong as Erie, you’ve got something special going. Now they have to dispatch the Cinderella North Bay Battalion…this series should be a cake-walk, but London probably thought that last year against Barrie and they barely snuck that one out in the end.

6. JUST ME says:

Give it to me straight now.
    You mean i still have to wait another week ?

7. DipsyDoodler says:

Pixies wrote a song about Steve Jobs?

8. B says:

With the series tied at 2 games apiece, Baie Comeau and Blainville Boisbriand are going into OT tied 2-2. No points yet for Grégoire or Hudon. Grégoire is wearing the C for the 2nd game in a row with Olivier Picard out again.

Edit: BC loses 1:29 into OT

–Go Habs Go!–

9. johnnylarue says:

Wow–Apple is using an old Pixies song about a penis in their new iPhone commercial. Inneresting…

10. AceMagnum says:

MacLean talking about Leafs again …

Gotta say he is persistent

————————————–
    Lewd, Rude, Crude, & Tattooed

11. Mattyleg says:

Holy crap, ring-a-ding-ding for Giroux.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

12. CJ says:

Only two players among all Habs skaters have been held pointless through four games this postseason. One is plus five, while the other is minus two. Can you name them?

13. JF says:

The RDS guys are saying that Backes’s eyes are moving around a lot when he is on the bench, as though he can’t keep them focused, and that this can be a sign of concussion. If he is playing concussed, that is the height of stupidity on the part of both him and the Blues organization. No series is worth the long-term effects of concussion.

14. CJ says:

I could have guessed all night and never landed on the name of the playoff points leader.

Shocking to say the least. Goes to show that the playoffs really are a different animal. Further, there seems to be little correlation between the regular and postseason.

I’m of two minds when the topic of player awards are discussed. On one hand, I completely agree that the award needs to focus on regular season play only. Otherwise, some players would be excluded from consideration, or the process would be impacted because some players would play more games than others. However, on the other hand, if the best players elevate their play in the postseason, perhaps an argument could be made that postseason play ought to be taken into consideration.

Ukrainian Habs raised a good point regarding McDonaugh. Truth is, IMO, he was among the top five overall defenceman in the regular season. The hit Burrows nailed him with in a meaningless game in Vancouver has ruined the rest of RM’s season as he is clearly hurt. So, in this case, the postseason would impact McDonaugh’s candidacy (of course, if this was the regular season I’d suggest he would be sitting out). Conversely, PK has elevated his play and although he had an average regular season (poor by PK’s standards), this overall play probably brings him back into the discussion.

Again, not suggesting that the process change, it just got me thinking.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Good Evening cj. I just don’t see Mcdonagh being a Norris winner. The trade sucked, but imo is Mcdonagh a top 5 D man in the league? I don’t think so in my opinion.

• CJ says:

Keep in mind the trophy is meant to be awarded to the best all around player. It’s hard to name 5 guys ahead of him, based on overall, all around play. There are many better offensively, some better defensively, but few possess a combination of overall skill in all three zones. I had him as number 5 this season. I still like Suter, Doughty and Pietrangelo overall with consideration to Girodano. Weber, Keith and Karlsson had great offensive seasons, while the Wiz had a very good, albeit quite season. It’s all subjective and my opinion is certainly not better than anyone else’s. I think Keith and Suter will be named finalists. I’m curious to see who the third finalist will be. I think it could be Pietrangelo, but wouldn’t be surprised if it was Doughty, Chara or Weber.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Pietro is mine!

• Chris says:

The Norris is voted by the Professional Hockey Writers Association. Some of those guys know what they’re on about, but many of them go by reputation and numbers.

Karlsson finished with a 13 points bulge in the defenceman scoring race…I would be a bit surprised if the voters overlook that. His bad +/- is pretty much the only thing that could derail his candidacy.

Weber finished 3rd in points, 1st in goals, 4th in ice-time, 24th in hits and 10th in blocked shots. He was basically the 2nd best offensive defenceman and was certainly in the top 3-5 defensively. For my money, he should be the runaway leader for that trophy. But again, he will be punished for playing for a terrible team with little television exposure, allowing the voters to once again job him out of the award.

Weber is miles and miles ahead of Alex Pietrangelo.

My finalists would be Weber, Suter and probably Doughty. Karlsson will probably get one of those 3 spots though.

• CJ says:

Good morning Chris. I agree with your suggestion that some writers will be unable to overlook Karlsson’s point totals, however, IMO, he’s not even top ten overall.

He is Paul Coffey offensively and Patrick Traverse defensively.

Weber, IMO, will be the most polarizing player. Some will have him first, some will have him outside their top five. I’d be willing to bet that Suter gets the most second place votes. It will be interesting to see how his season is evaluated.

Of all the players I watched live this season Doughty was the best.

• dr. schmutzdeker says:

Miss Le Wiz

• Timo says:

Francis Bouillon.

15. ClutchNGrab says:

It feels like the habs had a bye week for the first round. Can’t wait for that second round to start.

At least the philly/nyr game is good.

16. HabFab says:

Mike Condon, our goaltender prospect in the ECHL has given up 2 goals in 3 games with 2 shutouts in the first round of their play-offs. He is presently leading 2-0 after the 2nd period in game 4.

• B says:

He’s hot at the right time for Wheeling having stopped 120 of 122 playoff shots so far.

Edit: Nailers sweep South Carolina who finished 3 spots ahead of them. Condon stopped 130 of 134 shots in the 4 games.

–Go Habs Go!–

• CJ says:

Mike Condon is among the best stories, within our organization, this season. He is going to bump Robert Mayer, who lacks any sort of consistency. A duo of Tokarski and Condon will help Hamilton take a huge step forward next season.

The undrafted UFA signings under Bergevin’s watch have been very good. I have high hopes for Daniel Carr. Nick Sorkin looked good in limited action, while Jack Nevins could be the missing physical element down the road. Condon, another undrafted NCAA free agent was a major piece to help turn our goaltending depth from a weakness to a strength. We now have the five tool goaltending system that organizations require.

• HabFab says:

4-2 final for the win. South Carolina didn’t want to go out without a fight.

17. Danno says:

It’s a human demolition derby in Philthy

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

18. Mavid says:

Do any Flyers players have their front teeth?

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

19. UKRAINIANhab says:

I know the trade was bad but, Mcdonagh is NOT Norris Caliber.

20. gordispitz says:

FYI, 2 SHOTS total thru 9 minutes,, in st louis.. no comment

Good game in Philly

22. Danno says:

Price’s mettle has been tested and he has the medal to prove it.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

23. UKRAINIANhab says:

It does suck we don’t have Galchenyuk but….. When he comes back from injury, he shouldn’t play. A key part of the future, no need to rush back. Sorry this is going to be rather unpopular but in my opinion I do not think he has lived up to the hype. Here is a good question my leafs friend asked me. Rielly or Galchenyuk? He is still young of course, but im not going to lie, slightly disappointed in Galchenyuks year.

24. Thomas Le Fan says:

Price can show them they were wrong. If he needed any extra motivation, he’s got it.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

25. Alex says:

How on earth is Carey Price not nominated for the Vezina? Completely ridiculous.

Yikes… weak goal on Mason.

27. dhenry1234 says:

If we play the Bruins, expect 3 things!
    1) A crappy schedule. I’m talking back to backs, and afternoon games!
    2) At least 2 (minimum) Canadiens will be injured from the result of Bruins Dirty Play
    3) LOTS AND LOTS OF WHINING BY THE BRUINS WHEN WE SWEEP THE SERIES IN 4 GAMES

GO HABS GO!!!

OMG… TSN’s panel is just as painful to watch as HNIC’s.

Love seeing that Bouillon and Weaver are still “in”. And how can they not be?

30. PrimeTime says:

Being snubbed for the Vezina only will motivate Price more next round!

31. sweetmad says:

This is for the Gooins if we get them.

Of the Gooins I’m not scared
    The one that wins is the one that dared,
    I don’t care if they are dirty and slow
    We can beat them,this I know.

Let Gally and Gio buzz around Chara like flies
    He doesn’t like our little guys,
    Gio once brought him down on his bum
    Gally pushed him around like elephants dung.

Claude cannot keep his emotions in check,
    He ends up looking like a wreck,
    Mt on the other hand,hides his well
    He’ll be laughing while CJ is in hell.

We have thrice as many brains
    We can mke them look fools, getting in shooting lanes
    They want to hit us and push us around
    Got to catch us first our speed is sound.

The Vezina can go to Tukka Rask
    Getting the Con Smythe is Careys task.
    Some of our D may be old,but their crafty too
    The know exactly what to do.

In our eyes they will never see fear
    But in their eyes you will see a tear,
    When Pk scores that overtime goal
    They can’t beat us when it comes to heart and soul.

All we have to do is play our game,
    As in the season the result will be the same,
    Cos we are the Habs with skill and speed
    We can do this dirty deed.

They have nothing we cannot use,
    But their manners we can’t exscuse.
    I don’t care if they are big and bad,
    With our tenacity they can be had.
    GO HABS GO ALL THE WAY

• Habfan10912 says:

Great job Sweet. Its nice to see you posting regularly again. CHeers.

• sweetmad says:

Thanks Habs 10912,I liked the line about the Vezina and the Con Smythe,I don’t care about all those other things,the cup is the only one that matters,and it’s grit and determination that will get it for us,we have plenty of that,plus we have a happy team,will make the world of difference,every team talks about a great bunch of guys,but you know we have you can see it in their faces,and we have eveerything else we need.
        GO HABS GO ALL THE WAY

32. AceMagnum says:

In 1989
    Mats Naslund won the Lady Byng
    Patrick Roy won the Vezina
    Chris Chelios won the Norris
    Guy Carbonneau won the selke
    And Pat Burns won the Adams

I don’t know about any of you guys but I would’ve traded all those trophies to see Bob Gainey hoisting the Stanley Cup that year in our barn instead of that unkempt hoser Lanny MacDonald.

33. Dr.Rex says:

Everyone already talking about the Habs playing the Booins. AS far as I know the Booins stilll have to wiggle out another W.

Reminds me of 93 after we swept the Sabres everyone immediately started talking about a Habs/Pens series. IT seems that year the Isles forgot to pass on the invitation to the Pens.

34. Habcouver says:

These awards such as the Vezina, Selke, Byng, Adams, Masterton… all are based on opinion and votes. It doesn’t surprise me Pricey or Pleks did not make the top 3 cuts but it doesn’t take away from the the fact that both players are key contributors to their team in quest for the Trophy that matters!

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

35. Habilis says:

Been mentioned on here a couple of times today by various posters, but people still don’t seem to get it.

The Vezina FINALISTS were announced today. Not the nominees. Big difference.

The NHL award winners have already been decided. The names announced this week are just the top 3 vote getters, that’s all.

Stop saying that Price and Plek “aren’t being considered” because that’s just false. They had the same shot as anyone else, they just didn’t end up top 3 in voting.

36. habs-fan-84 says:

The word “snubbed” has been used way too loosely recently.

37. AceMagnum says:

I live in Toronto (gross I know) and was having lunch with some guys who are Leaf fans, they were really complimentary of the Habs team and especially Therrien…which was a shock. Then they began lamenting their own team and possibly losing Leiweke who apparently isn’t happy in Toronto, and offering up armchair GM solution to stopping the bleeding in Laffland. They actually believe they can sign Vanek…….I’ll wait while you change your urine soaked pants before continuing…….

Anyway, I could have taken the high road and attempted to make them feel a little better about their team…I mean they have Kessel and JVR. But, troll that I am, I reminded them of their inept management group over the years and the fact that if they had kept their draft picks, they could today be in the playoffs icing a team with the likes of Tyler Seguin, Dougie Hamilton, Tuuka Rask, and Logan Couture…yes the draft pick they traded for Toskala. Add to that the contracts of losers like Phaneuf and Clarkson and that team is gonna suck ass for a very long time.

Their faces were priceless…they had no response.

There you have it. Regardless of what happens in round two…we’re not the Leafs. Absorb that and enjoy your weekend.

• The Jackal says:

That’s why you’re the ace!
      I love in TO too, I hate the laffs but I got some friends who love their Leafs and they are real good guys, I can’t bring myself to trash their team after what they had to endure.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• CynicalHabsfan says:

Live in mtl but one of my best friends is a leafs fan, and has been through all the terrible years. I’ve spent most of those years trolling him, but I really haven’t had the heart this year. I think this one hurt a lot, even more than last year’s game seven collapse. Maybe I’m going soft.

38. B says:

Mike Condon is hot at the right time for Wheeling. He has stopped 97 of 99 shots in winning their first 3 playoff games, 2 by shutouts.

–Go Habs Go!–

39. Colombiahabs says:

Hey Ace….. Where’s Gary?

40. B says:

Sportsnet is showing game 5 of the Guelph vs Erie series tonight at 7:00 PM. Guelph leads 3 games to 1. North Bay is waiting for the winner.

Baie-Comeau plays back at home tonight after dropping the last two games on the road to Blainville Boisbriand. Their series sits tied at 2 games apiece. The game is available on Telus:

–Go Habs Go!–

41. Mattyleg says:

In addition to Price being overlooked for the Vézina, why wasn’t Plekanec considered for the Selke??

Hasn’t been much discussion about that (or if there has, I haven’t read/heard it), and I think Pleks should at least be in the running.

Why only 3 finalists for these trophies, anyway?
    In a league with so many damn players, you’d think that there would be a couple more people in the shortlists…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• mrhabby says:

He does have a Gold Medal which no other goalie has this year. No big deal for the Vezina.

• shiram says:

It’s because of the vote, the people voting vote for #1 #2 and #3.
      I’m fine with Pleks not being one of the 3 for the Selke.
      He’s a top 10 2 way guy in my mind, but the 3 nominees managed to have that same great 2-way play, better even, and still produced.

To me Price was more of a snub than Pleky.

• Paz says:

He never is nominated because he is not good on face offs, at least that’s what I’ve heard broadcasters repeat over and over.

This year, 48%, 64th rank among centers in the league.

Bergeron was ranked 2nd, Toews 4th, Kopitar well back at 24th.

Winning key face offs is considered one of the important skills for this award.

• The Jackal says:

It’s true… Plek is a great two-way forward but he needs to be elite in the face-off category for consideration as a finalist.

______________________
          Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Danno says:

It doesn’t bother me too much.

There’s really only one trophy the Habs want.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• DipsyDoodler says:

Why only 3 finalists for these trophies, anyway?

I think there are 30 finalists, one from each team. The league just publishes the names of the top three finishers, but they already know who won.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

42. montreal ace says:

When we lost to the Bruins in 7 games, I seem to remember DD getting a knee on knee in the series. I remember it as I bought he was playing well, and I thought it was dirty. I never really hear any talk about it, so I am starting to wonder if its my imagination lol.

43. CynicalHabsfan says:

When the bruins and habs played in 2011, Montreal’s special teams were dominant (if I recall correctly, the Boston pp was shut out in all seven games), while the bruins held a definite edge 5v5. The refs put the whistles away in OT, and Boston was able to win all three games that were tied after regulation.
    I think this habs team should do a better job hanging with Boston at even strength, but we will still need the pp to pick it up. If we can’t score with a man advantage, the Bruins won’t think twice about taking cheap shots.
    Okay, they probably won’t think twice about it either way, but we need our pp to turn bruins’ goonery into habs’ goals.

44. JUST ME says:

Just read in La Presse.ca that Cherry came out publicly today to defend his friend McLean. Such a bad idea !!!
    It was a faux pas, let it go and just do not step in a mine field in the future . Being supported by a redneck like Cherry is like the kiss of death…

45. Colombiahabs says:

The Bruins suck this is gonna be a joke!

• Mr.Habs71sv says:

As I said before I rather we play the Bruins than the Wings. Wings are running out of gas as it took too much just to keep their dopey streak alive and getting in. If we are meant to win, we will win regardless of who we face. Price needs to step it up a little more once he gets us to at the least the final four I will become the president of his fan club not a moment before.

Habs fan period. (No hyphens)

• The Jackal says:

I’d like to end the Bruins’ season too, but sometimes teams win because they got better match-ups and didn’t face teams that were bad match-ups for them – there’s nothing wrong with that, nor does it diminish the value of a championship. If we made it to the conference final, I’d rather face NYR than Philly. If we made it to the cup final, I’d rather face the Wild or the Avs than the Sharks.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

If Montreal fails to sign Vanek then the difference in goalie salary won’t be a major factor next year. The overall goalie system is much stronger next season with the status quo. A year from now the team can decide which back-up should be the man moving forward.

Right now, I’ll take Budaj’s nine years of NHL experience over Tokarski’s five years of AHL experience. Not to mention the great relationship he seems to have with Price and his teammates.

24.4 Cups

47. mrhabby says:

There is a big difference between playing Tampa and the Bruins. Bruins are big playoff team and role 4 tough lines. Habs have some of those pieces but Bruins have a bit more. On paper Bruins are better than Habs but in the games weird things happen , bounces , penalties etc, etc. Habs defense is a worry with Murray back there.
    Habs can win this but they will need a lot of bounces to go there way.
    Bruins will come out and pressure the Habs all over the ice with heavy forecheck and take advantage of the habs smaller players.
    Christ I hate Boston Bruins.

48. ClutchNGrab says:

3 years are an eternity in hockey…

Habs defence last time they met the Bruins in the playoffs:

Subban (7G, 4P)
    Hamrlik (7G, 3P)
    Sopel (7G, 1P)
    Gill (7G, 0P)
    Spacek (7G, 0P)
    Wisniewski (6G, 2P)
    Weber (3G, 2P)
    Mara (1G, 0P)

Gorges IR
    Markov IR

• JUST ME says:

Even compared to last year roster it`s amazing the differences between the active roster in the playoffs,.

If we add to the list Tinordi and Beaulieu that have not yet played in the playoffs Pateryn, Diaz, Halpern, Armstrong, Dumont, Blunden, Ryder
      Injured Gionta,Prust,Eller.

• CynicalHabsfan says:

Compare the forwards who are gone from 2011 to the ones we’ve replaced them with:
      Cammalari –> Patch
      Gomez –> Vanek
      A. Kostitsyn –> Gallagher
      Halpern –> Briere
      Pouliot –> Bourque
      Darche –> Wiese
      Pyatt –> Bournival
      Moen/White –> Prust (if he’s healthy)

I would say that our forwards are much improved, especially considering that White and Moen are also available.

49. Colombiahabs says:

Boullion… DD.. awww not good. HAHAHA I am so funny.

50. Colombiahabs says:

Who cares who is the back up goalie next year. WE are going for the cup!

51. Colombiahabs says:

Montreal is on fire and gonna kill Boston. Perhaps another sweep is on the way!!!!

52. Colombiahabs says:

Boston is ripe for the pickings!!! Detroit is no better than Tampa and now they are playing their backup goalie too

• Hobie says:

I would agree with that. Boston will pick it up though against the Habs though. It’s going to be a war. Chara, Lucic, Thornton and the rest of them will be out ion full force trying to bang up Subban, Vanek and company.

There will be players lost to injury. Hopefully not to many. Hopefully Emelin, Subban and Murray return the favor.

• AceMagnum says:

Do you know what “ripe for the picking” means?
      You’re complimenting the Bruins.

53. UKRAINIANhab says:

Budaj should be the backup next year. Who does not love the guy…

• Hobie says:

Budaj is fine with me. I do think Tokarski would be as good though. Whatever works best for the team. I will not hate management because of their decision. They seem to be doing a good job. ;-).

54. habcertain says:

a lot of reposting going on today, we got it the first time.

55. Danno says:

What a bunch of freakin’ cry babies!

Radio Guys in Beantown

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

56. Colombiahabs says:

Seems like we should ice the entire team. With Murray, Tinordi, White, Moen and Parros subbing in as angry punching bags

57. kalevine says:

watching last night’s wings-bruins game reminded me a lot of two things:

1) an almost identical game structurally in the 2011 series Bruins-Flyers. Flyers came out like gangbusters (I think in game 3 after dropping the first 2 in Boston) and took a 2-0 early lead. Slowly but surely the Bruins took back the momentum and ended up winning 3-2 in OT I believe

2) The conditions, at least on the Boston end, which allowed Boston to beat the Habs in 7 games in 2011 still exist. The only reason they won that series was that they outperformed in OT, winning all 3 OT decisions. They seem to be the best conditioned team around, which feeds the argument that bigger players don’t tire out as easily. Come OT, Detroit had little left in the tank, and it was a similar situation for the Habs in 2011, a couple of open nets notwithstanding. We have reason to hope that this version of the Habs is better built for OT than the 2011 version, for a variety of reasons. But I still recommend that they do everything they can to put the B’s out in regulation, short of pulling Price with the game tied in the last minute :)

• Danno says:

The main reason the Bruins took that series is because Pacioretty was taken out by Chara on March 8th – before the playoffs started. That series had three games decided in OT. If Pacioretty was playing I am convinced he would have been a game changer. With Max the Habs would have beaten the Bruins and advanced to play the Flyers in Round Two.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• kalevine says:

Max could well have been a game changer. The Bruins have notorious for going after Habs’ potential gamechangers. See Michael Thelven’s hack right to Stephane Richer’s vulnerable hand in 1988, the single move that ended Habs’ 45 year playoff domination over Bruins.

Other reasons for extra optimism include

1) 5 on 5 scoring improvements – the last 2 games of the 2011 series Habs’ scored 0 even strength goals!
        2) dangerous 4th line which should be rolled all game long
        3) Vanek should pick up play against Bruins, Briere too
        4) DD and Gallagher look stronger on the puck than ever
        5) Pleks, Gionta playing at their best playoff level since 2010
        6) more toughness with Murray on D as well as several newer strong forwards like Bournival, Weise
        7) Bourque and Eller factor

I’d say 6 out of the 7 need to be going, plus Price has to play really well

• Phil C says:

I would attribute the conditioning of the Bruins to being able to roll four lines all the time 5 on 5, which is also what the Habs are doing this year. Both teams are among the most balanced teams in the league.

The Bruins also got lucky in 2011, Montreal had them on the mat in game four, but a couple of fluky goals got them back in the game. Thomas also started playing out of his mind after a shaky game 1 and 2. Even then, with overtime game 7, anything could have happened.

But there is something to the Bruins being capable of playing close games without panicking.

• kalevine says:

Price, who in general had an awesome series in 2011, did not make the key stops in Game 4. The Bruins came back from 1-0,3-1, and 4-3 deficits, and my memory was that at least 2 of those 4 goals looked like they should have been stopped, and at least one other was stoppable. He made it too easy for them to rally

58. Ron says:

Heads up Stu.. its game 5 Saturday at Boston. 3-1 lead = 4 :D

59. Maritime Ronn says:

Mr_MacDougall posted:

…Is Budaj the long term backup? Or will he be let go after next season? If so, is Tokarski the obvious choice, and should the team try to get him a specific number of starts next season, maybe 6-8?
    —————————––
    Under the radar screen 2 weeks ago was that Tokarski was signed to a new 2 year contact.

The first year is a 2 way contract, while the 2nd year was a 1 way contract.

You can see the details here:

The NHL is a Cap driven League where every dollar should be important – and may end up being for the Habs moving forward.

EX:
    Next year, Peter Budaj’s Cap Hit and Salary will be $1.4M.
    Tokarski’s Cap Hit would be $562K with a $550K Salary.

While that may seem insignificant at first view, proper and great Cap Management is the hallmark of Cup winning teams – See Chicago.

Without getting into details, if the Habs had not managed their Cap situation wisely this year, there would not have been any room for Vanek.

Tokarski could be Price’s backup as early as next year.
    A little research would also show that he had a very similar Pre-NHL career as did Carey Price in regards to CHL and AHL – so he knows how to win.

The difference…to date, was that Tokarski was not ‘given’ that Tampa job at a very early age based on pre NHL history…nor was he allowed absolutely bad performances to decide his future.

60. zephyr says:

funny how all the team Canada goalies never made the list. Canadian gm’s must be stupid to have selected those goalies to win the gold medal.
    the bruins will be in full goon mode. we’ll need murray back on d. price is going to have to be sharp. if the refs don’t completely blow it, & that’s a big ‘if’, we can beat boston if price is good.

61. CH Marshall says:

boys should be careful about turning their backs to Lucy

62. Maritime Ronn says:

Price not a Vezina Trophy Finalist?
    No surprise from here.
    Price was certainly Top NHL 5-7 this Season, yet not Top 3.

The Vezina Trophy is a regular season Trophy with major caveats.
    Pete Peeters won it once (?) as did Jim Carey and Olaf Kolzig…

Carey Price did not make the Top 3 finalists because there just happened to be 3 slightly better ‘ regular season goalies’ than him…regardless of what HIO either thinks or believes.

Perhaps Price has his eyes set on a Stanley Cup and Conn Smythe vs. a Vezina.
    Is Carey finally a Playoff winner?
    We’ll see…..

For those that will dis not having Price in the Top 3 nomination group – and that refer to Rask as only winning because of a good team, you may want to refer to the Norris wins of Bobrosky last year or Lundqvist the year before.

• Ozmodiar says:

No Vezina for Price is fine with me. Hopefully it puts a chip on his shoulder for the next round.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Rask’s season had a lot to do with the team, this can be “proven” by looking at his backups numbers which are almost identical, similar to Jones in LA… Are those backups simply amazing as well, or is there a trend? I tend to think teams win the Jennings… (LA first and Boston second)

I think Varlarmov is the Vezina winner, then Bishop, a hair behind.. There is a group of 4-5 really close behind.. Price, Rask, Lundqvist, Niemi, Quick, Bobrovsky

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• The Jackal says:

He was top in the league in 5 on 5 save % which is a huge stat.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Loop_Garoo says:

I would not have Price on my top three Vezina trophy list either, however, I’d still take him on my team over Bishop or Varlamov.

• JF says:

I’m fine with Price not being a finalist. It often happens that trophy winners have sup-par seasons the next year. Price won Olympic Gold, and he may still win something else that he would value far more than the Vezina.

63. JUST ME says:

Fair choice of candidates for the Vezina. Price did belong in the mix . If it is another source of motivation i`ll take it. We have had to face many many challenges this season and have succeeded in winning most of them.
    But as far as Price`s value is concerned, the whole planet saw what he was worth in Sotchi !

64. Strummer says:

It looks like we’ll be playing Boston next round.
    Glad we got those deadline pickups- Eller vintage 2013, Bourque and Briere vintage 2010 ____________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

65. SovereignTech says:

Bishop and Varlamov were arguably the only two goaltenders more important to their teams success than Price was to the habs. Rask, well Rask has the benefit of playing in front of a defensive juggernaut (And lets not kid ourselves, he is a pretty good goaltender too).

Call me crazy but I think Varlamov deserves the award based off of where they play, how bad their defensive stats are and how good his numbers were considering these things.

Don’t let it get you down! It won’t get Carey down. And as the habs improve so will he. It isn’t a matter of IF in my personal opinion, it is a matter of WHEN.

• Cal says:

Okay , but you asked for it. You crazy, SovereignTech.

• 24 Cups says:

We had this discussion earlier this morning on the last thread. Should a great goalie be punished just because he is on a good team? If so, then Plante and Dryden should never have won any awards.

The other point that was raised was the two goalies in net last night for the Boston-Detroit game were once members of the laffs. Gomez for McDonagh is the worst Hab trade in two decades but Raycroft for Rask (plus all the subsequence moves Toronto had to make) may go down as one of the worst of all time.

24.4 Cups

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Add the financials to it and Gomez deal is far worse.. Not only did the Habs lose MacDonah, they were severely hampered by the Gomez contract, and lost Saku because of it.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• JF says:

Agree about Varlamov. The Avalanche give up a ton of shots and chances. Did you see his performance last night? He faced a barrage of shots, while his team mustered a paltry dozen.

A lot of these trophy finalist lists are tough calls when you can only select three names. It’s a bit like the Olympic team when the coach has to select the last player on the team. There are always a few worthy candidates who are left off the list.

Price belongs in the top half dozen but not necessarily the top three. I believe Rask should win it.

24.4 Cups

• krob1000 says:

I thik Varlamov should….Colorado’s run and gun style, youth on d and even up front have meant he has had to be supremely athletic all year. Rask has had the benefit of a pretty solid d corps but more importantly a very good defensive team up front. I know Hamilton and Krug are young but one can’t compare compare the Avs and Bruins styles and think that Varlamov was not presented the greater of difficulty re the shots and attempts he faced. That being said…that often doesn’t get the respect it should so it may very well go to Rask. Even Bishop is a deserving candidate…i think varlamaov is best candidate though

67. HabsWin-nipeg says:

gms/min gaa sv% w/l
    58/3386 2.04 .930 36/15/6 RASK
    63/3586 2.23 .924 37/14/7 BISHOP
    63/3639 2.41 .927 41/14/6 VARLAMOV
    49/2904 2.07 .915 27/17/4 QUICK
    59/3464 2.32 .927 34/20/5 PRICE

Price is right in the mix, but I have no problem with the guys that were named finalists. Yes Varlamov has a higher sv% but he also won 41 games (with the help of his team). I think if Price’s gaa was lower he might have been considered more. Quick’s sv% and w/l record probably worked against him. Do I like Price more than any of the others – absolutely. But I’m not blind to the fact that the others deserve to be there. I’ll settle for a cup win over the vezina anytime, and I’m sure Price would too.

68. Dave Stubbs says:

A feature I wrote last season on NHL goaltending pioneer Glenn Hall, and how ridiculous it is that the NHL took more than 50 years of Vézina Trophy history and basically threw it out with the introduction of the Jennings. I will always believe that the Vézina should be awarded based on pure statistics and that the Jennings should be the GM-voted award.

Dave Stubbs
    Hockey Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: @Dave_Stubbs
    • Email: dstubbs@montrealgazette.com

69. TheBird19 says:

14th in GAA = not quite a Vezina finalist.

Missing a month post-Olympics did not help either. He had a great year but not quite a Vezina year, but he will take the Conn Smyth as a consolation prize :D

• Strummer says:

Pricer’s GAA is better than and save % same as Varlamov.
      Better save % than Bishop. Bishop’s GAA is 1 goal in 10 games better than CP.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

70. arcosenate says:

Obviously Price will have to prove himself with one more championship this year to garner the respect of the NHL.

Let’s hope he can accomplish just that…

• kalevine says:

I am hoping he is saving his best for the upcoming series’. He was great half the time against the Lightning. He will have to be great 3/4 of the time against whomever they play next

71. Maritime Ronn says:

So it will be Habs-Boston….just a question of time.

In the next week or so, fans will be bombarded with every stat under the sun.
    The old stat guys will chime in with their 50 year old matchup, career, and other insignificant numbers, while the new stat guys will Corsi and Fenwick you to death with past stats….also insignificant.

From here, you can take all that stuff and toss it in the trash bin.
    You can buy-in if you wish, but this series will be about the Here and Now.

This possible long series, is ALL going to be about things than CANNOT be measured by a number on whatever stat sheet – so very sorry, Analytics people.

For the Habs to win it will take:
    Heart – Courage – Mental toughness – Desire & Will – Overcoming pressure, nerves, and possible adversity – ALL of that for 5-6-7 games against the same opponent…

The Habs players will also have to get out of their Comfort Zones – meaning doing things that spark and fire up a team.

Scorers are expected to score, yet a big unexpected hit from one of them can fire up a Bench/Room and change a game/series.
    Energy guys are expected to provide energy, yet a big unexpected goal from one of them (Weise OT) can also change a game/series.
    These things prove to team mates the level of sacrifice and commitment to “Team” and unites the guys.

Make no mistake about it. The Bruins are a solid hockey team with great familiarity and have ‘been there-done that’ over the past 4 years…yet also make no mistake – These Habs can beat them.

The question remains:
    Do the Habs have all of the above mentioned intangibles for a long series, and not just 1 game here and there?

Soon, we shall find out exactly what GM Bergevin meant by:

” I believe you have players that get you IN the playoffs, and you have players that get you THROUGH the playoffs.”

Habs fans will find out soon enough who the real “Character” guys are, and who are the Pretenders.
    There is NO place to hide in the playoffs…

72. The Jackal says:

Vezina list is total BS. Rask? Yes. Bishop and Varlamov? NO!
    It should really just be Price vs. Rask. Hell, I’d have Bernier in there before Bishop and Varlamov, he did way more for the Leafs than those two guys did for their teams.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

73. Kooch7800 says:

Ben Bishop, Tuukka Rask and Semyon Varlamov have been named Vezina Trophy Finalists.

74. Prop says:

GAABLAAA!

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

75. scrotchland says:

right on brother! this habs team was lucky to sweep lightening in 4 straight.
    therian sucks.,the habs suck.

76. sheds88 says:

lol i lost you after your opening sentence.

77. Chrisadiens says:

Lol. I’m dying to know who the real poster behind this account is. Bellyfull? Matty? Maybe HFS72.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

78. sheds88 says:

sorry, meant to reply to scotland