Galchenyuk still not skating as Habs return to practice; Price doesn’t make Vézina list (with practice video)

After enjoying a two-day vacation following their first-round playoff sweep of the Tampa Bay Lightning, the Canadiens returned to the ice for a practice Friday morning in Brossard.

The only player who didn’t take part was Alex Galchenyuk, who hasn’t skated since suffering a lower-body injury during a game in Chicago on April 9. Coach Michel Therrien is hoping Galchenyuk will be able to play in the second round of the playoffs, but no timetable has been set yet for the forward’s return.

Travis Moen, who has almost fully recovered from a concussion suffered in a fight with Boston’s Kevan Miller on March 24, wore a full-contact jersey and skated on a line with Ryan White and George Parros at practice.

“I feel good,” Moen told reporters in Brossard after practice. “The last four or five days I’ve been getting up there skating-wise, so I’ll be 100 per cent very shortly.”

The Canadiens will face the winner of the Boston-Detroit series in the second round. The Bruins took a 3-1 lead in that best-of-seven series with a 3-2 overtime win Thursday night. Game 5 is Saturday in Boston (3 p.m., TSN, NBC, RDS).

The NHL on Friday announced the three finalists for the Vézina Trophy as the league’s top goaltender and the Canadiens’ Carey Price didn’t make it. The finalists are Tampa Bay’s Ben Bishop, Boston’s Tuukka Rask and Colorado’s Semyon Varlamov. The 30 NHL general managers vote on the award.

Price posted a 34-20-5 record this season with six shutouts, one less than league-leader Rask. Price had a 2.32 goals-against average and a .927 save percentaage. You can see the complete NHL regular-season goalie stats by clicking here.

“I’m very surprised. Carey deserves to be there,” Therrien told reporters about Price being snubbed for the Vézina. “All three goalies who were finalists had excellent seasons, make no mistake about that, but Carey should be right there with them because he had an unbelievable year.”

Here’s how the Habs’ lines and defence pairings looked at Friday’s practice:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Vanek
Prust-Plekanec-Gallagher
Bourque-Eller -Gionta
Bournival-Briere-Weise
Moen-White-Parros

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Bouillon-Weaver
Tinordi-Murray

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Canadiens return to practice, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Something special is happening with Habs, by Gazette Sports Editor Stu Cowan

Playoff Notebook, Canadiens.com

Post-practice interviews (video), Canadiens.com

Bishop, Rask, Varlamov named Vezina Trophy finalists, NHL.com

No individual trophies for Habs? Hickey on Hockey Notebook

Therrien mulls tough lineup decisions, NHL.com

Former Hab Ryan moving on from the game, by Pat Hickey

Hard to explain NHL’s disciplinary actions, by Pat Hickey

Ginette Reno a much-needed luck charm for Habs, Letters to the Sports Editor

RDS’s Chantal Machabee celebrating 25 years on the job, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Cherry comes to MacLean’s defence on Twitter, montrealgazette.com

Hamilton Bulldogs season recap, Canadiens.com

1. The Teacher says:

Habs in 5.

2. JF says:

Bruins vs. Red Wings is very depressing to watch, and I’m afraid it’s a bit of a preview of what our series will be like. Bruins are dominant territorially and in terms of possession. The Wings have had maybe one scoring chance.

Tuukka Rask has a goals against of .95 in the series. The Bruins’ powerplay is 5/11.

Something I’m noticing about the Wings is that their young players – Nyqvist, Tatar, Sheahan (I don’t think Jurco is playing) – all of whom were excellent during the season, have been totally ineffective in this series.

It’s depressing to hear the RDS commentators talking about how good the Bruins are – depressing because true. We might be able to get into their heads and get them off their game for one game, but not for an entire series.

The Duel: Gallagher vs Subban
    WATCH -> http://goha.bs/1nO4yUE

4. DipsyDoodler says:

So one sportwriter says Ovechkin is a “coach killer”. Then another repeats it. Then several more repeat it, ad infitnitum.

Why is he a coach killer?

Coaches get fired all the time.

Ovie’s seen 3 coaches fired in 10 years (same as Taylor Hall once Eakins gets it).

Seems he’s seen as many of his coaches fired as just about every other hockey player.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• Habcouver says:

So, do we want Ovie to play for MT and Habs?

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• 100HABS says:

you kidding? I’d take him in a minute. He remains the Rocket Richard trophy winner.

But he would have to check his ego at the door. The door that allows you to enter the room with the pictures and names of Béliveau, Pocket Rockett, Dryden, Lafleur, The Rockett…. If that does not humble him at least a little, nothing will.

• JUST ME says:

Isn`t 3 years about the average shelf time for a coach in the NHL ?

As much as Ovie deserves his part of the blame, McPhee has to be held entirely responsible for not giving him valuable teammates. If we can blame Ovie for one thing it`s probably that for the money he makes he just does not carry the team on his shoulders but not because he is not trying.
      Who else on the team is really shining though ?. What `s in the farm team for them ?
      With Mc Phee it`s always the same scenario. At trade deadline go all in to try to win it all right now. Last year Erat, this season Halak…No finesse no long term plans…

• CJ says:

It’s a results based business. Anytime you have a superstar player who is fully committed offensively, but doesn’t show the same energy, desire or otherwise commitment to the team in the defensive zone you are going to have issues. The exact same thing is happening in Ottawa with Karlsson and Spezza.

Ultimately the coach falls on the sword because it’s him who is unable to adjust the player. IMO, there isn’t a coach in the league who could win with the Capitals current lineup. Hunter did the best job recently and he sat Ovie during the process. Same deal with the Senators, they are a better team without Spezza and/or Karlsson.

Just my two cents….

• B says:

It’s only been 4 (Hanlon, Boudreau, Hunter, Oates), but there’s more to it than just the number. It’s the way he plays (or rather doesn’t) if he doesn’t like his role. It’s his disdain and swearing at / insulting the coach on the bench. I don’t know why they ever made him captain, he doesn’t seem like a leader type to me (although he doesn’t seem like a follower either). He just likes to march to his own drum and try to pad his goal scoring stats regardless of the game situation.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Un Canadien errant says:

‘Coach killer’ has become one of these cool phrases that kids Tumblr at each other’s MySpaces. It is used so often that it loses its meaning, like the now trite and devoid of meaning ‘throw under the bus’, or ‘call out’.

Anytime anyone is criticized, that is, their performance is critiqued, often in response to a direct question by a reporter, we’ll get posters who howl that the player is being thrown under the bus, whereas according to the common usage, that’s incorrect.

From Wikipedia: “To throw (someone) under the bus is an idiomatic phrase meaning to sacrifice another person (often a friend or ally), who is usually not deserving of such treatment, out of malice or for personal gain.”

To ‘call out’ someone also doesn’t mean to refer to them, or mention them in a negative manner, or to critique their performance. It means to have been brought up in a negative manner, usually without a direct cause like a reporter’s questions, by a superior or coworker and criticized openly. A good example of this was when Patrick Roy lambasted Jean-Sébastien Giguère and said he needed to play better.

As far as the ‘coach killer’ term, it was originally meant to mean a player who actively undermines a coach, by playing poorly, by planting rumours, going behind his back, etc. A coach killer is someone who goes to the GM or President or owner and demands that the coach be removed. The most obvious, recent examples might have been in the NBA, where mega-stars like LeBron James or Kobe Bryant rule the roost, and have such an effect on a team’s performance and chances for a championship that they are coddled to a great degree.

A Canadiens example might be Henri Richard’s stuggle with Coach Al McNeil, who sat the legend during the season, and who got blasted as being ‘incompetent’ by the captain in return. Coach McNeil was working in Halifax with the Voyageurs the next season.

Another example might be the 1985-86 season, when the players were in a quasi-mutiny against Coach Jean Perron, with Larry Robinson openly questioning his abilities and mental faculties. The funny thing is though, is that the veterans, including Larry, Bob Gainey, Rick Greene, Ryan Walter, Bobby Smith, Craig Ludwig, came together in time for the playoffs, decided to ignore their coach, and took their team to the Cup, aided by a miraculous turn in nets by Patrick Roy.

A player loafing or not having a great season doesn’t make him a coach killer. Until we find out that Ovie went to see Ted Leonsis and demanded the removal of Adam Oates/Dale Hunter (spit!)/Bruce Boudreau, we can’t or shouldn’t call him a coach-killer if we want to be fair or accurate.

• B says:

I don’t throw “coach killer” around casually, I can’t remember the last time I used and I don’t believe I have ever posted it here before. I do believe it to be applicable for Ovechkin. Clearly you don’t agree. No worries about it on my end.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Un Canadien errant says:

Not that I disagree, I don’t know one way or another. I just haven’t really heard any reports of actions as I’ve described above, just seen that he doesn’t backcheck.

• B says:

I have read reports of him telling the coach to F off on the bench and I have seen him on TV roll his eyes at and disregard what his coach is trying to tell him and his team. I don’t believe I am a trite kid on myspace, but since I don’t know what goes on there perhaps I may seem like one to you.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Un Canadien errant says:

B, you’re right, I do remember his words on the bench at Bruce Boudreau, he mouthed “fat feck” under his breath, or something like that.

Please know that I was making a general point about the term ‘coach killer’ in response to Dipsy’s post. It was in no way directed at you. In truth, I didn’t see your post on the matter.

• B says:

Sorry UCe, I thought your were trying to denigrate people who use the term and I had just used it here.

5. naweed235 says:

Does anyone know who this “Terk” (I’m not sure about the spelling) is on the HAbs? I’ve heard a few instances the players talking about him, but I’m not sure who’s nickname that is. The last time I heard it was during Weise’s post game winning goal interview:”Terk said don’t be afraid to jump in on that one and…”
    Here’s the link:

6. Un Canadien errant says:

Disheartening how a guy like Mathieu Perreault who can actually play and entertain spectators is touch and go to make the NHL and remain there, always having to prove himself due to his lack of size, but guys like Ryan Garbutt and Matt Cooke are prized and always have a job because of their cheating grit.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• ffenliv says:

That’s a natural side-effect of a very physical game. Unless we’re going to get rid of the contact, there’s always going to be a need for the grinder types, ‘taking away’ a spot from a more skill guy, particularly smaller ones.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yes and we’re all drinking the Kool-Aid, tolerating the unacceptable. CheatersGrinders are necessary, we must have them on our lineup, to hook, slash, knee, elbow, facewashplay tough, responsible playoff hockey.

It’s getting to be so bad that on the Cédric Paquette tripping call in Game 4, analysts weren’t just saying that it was a ‘weak’ or ‘borderline’ call, or puzzling given the circumstances, they were actually flatly stating that “it wasn’t tripping”. That’s what you get when your talking heads are marginal players like Jeff O’Neill and P.J. Stock, out to validate their checkered careers and justify their presence on an NHL roster, the doublespeak and spin becomes shocking.

Gary Bettman and Colin Campbell have no clothes.

What annoys me is that it’s been 4 games already and not a single Bruin is injured.

• Fansincebirth says:

Funny…I was saying more or less the same thing on a Facebook post. Good and great players get their knees taken out, slashed to get hand or wrist broken and shots to the head getting concussed but a POS like Marchand gets off Scott free! No justice in the league

8. ffenliv says:

Jumping the gun a bit, since the series isn’t over, but history suggests it actually is.

Been talking with some random Bs fans online, and most feel the series will go at least 6 games, about 30% said 7 games, with a health dose of overtime in the series.

It might not have the final outcome we want, but a series against Boston will be pretty fantastic.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Disagree. It will raise my blood pressure and sense of impotent outrage, like when I watched wrestling as a young boy and wondered how the refs could miss the assaults on the Rougeau brothers, the foreign objects, the raking of the eyes, the groin shots, by Eddie Creatchman’s stable of thugs and criminals. I would be driven to tears sometimes, at the injustice of it all.

• ffenliv says:

Ah, well, this is of course all a matter of opinion.

I don’t, and never have, bought the league bias that favours the Bruins. I might agree with the league favouring the more physical teams with the way it calls games in the playoffs, but that’s a game any team could play, depending on personnel.

• frontenac1 says:

Mad Dog and The Leduc Bros. Would dispense the justice!Hey,speaking of old “Rasslers ,did you hear The Iron Sheik will be setting Rob Ford straight?

• Un Canadien errant says:

Did you ever read “Barney’s Version” by Mordecai Richler? In it, Barney plays a lot of pranks, and one of them is to ‘sic’ ‘The Great Antonio’ on his ex-wife’s new husband. He does this by sending a letter and a cheque to the strongman, written as if by the new husband, and purporting that he’s a great fan and would like to meet him. The letter stipulates, however, that the author is a bit of a grappler himself, and would like to test himself out against The Great Antonio, and requests that he appear at his office unannounced, and to attack him without warning, so that it be true test of his skill.

Great stuff. Maybe we could do the same thing to Rob Ford. Or Brad Marchand.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

UCE…with all respect man you ought to consider not watching hockey. It will never be what you want. A game with out grinders……no contact other than incidental…..no fighting….no show of emotions just skating up and down the ice. I hope that day never comes personally. I doubt anyone including you would watch it either.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Just a Habs Fan, you’re a broken record. Whenever I post bemoaning the lawlessness in the NHL, you chide me with your replies, twist my meaning, reduce it to the absurd, and set up ridiculous end results. Look up the meaning of the word ‘strawman’ in the dictionary.

The game can be physical, spirited and exciting without Ryan Garbutts and Eric Grybas. We could have a league where skill and speed were paramount, and Patrice Bergeron and Lars Eller would go toe-to-toe playing tough, physical, clean hockey, without needing a Sean Thornton or a George Parros or a ‘grinding fourth line’.

Two players who are 5’11″ and 190 lbs battling each other for control of the puck, without kneeing or other Brad Marchand-type garbage, will put on just as good a show as two giant lugs who can’t skate and might as well have a pitchfork instead of a hockey stick in their hands. I put it to you that the spectacle would actually be greatly improved.

So now that Washington has started to clean house, the next big question is which team might be interested in trading for Ovechkin. The return won’t be substantial seeing his contract is a drawback as well as the chance he could always leave the NHL for the KHL. Some teams might even ask for Washington to take back a bit of salary.

I think the new GM will have to move quickly or run the risk of another Luongo fiasco.

24.4 Cups

• ProHabs says:

If Vanek leaves, the Habs should get him for next to nothing.

• B says:

He has 7 more years at $10M per salary, $9,538,462 cap hit.

–Go Habs Go!–

• 24 Cups says:

I’m not sure if you’re just kidding but just for the hell of it let’s take a look at Ovie coming to Montreal.

Ovechkin would be Montreal’s answer to not being able to re-sign Vanek. The length of contract would basically be the same. His cap hit would be 1.5M more than what Montreal would pay Vanek. He would have to play RW but would obviously loose the baggage of being captain. He’s never going to be a two way player but maybe a 25% increase in defensive play might suffice. He could make pure magic on a line with MaxPac and DD.

Ovie has scored more than 30 goals every year he has played in the NHL. Five of those years have been 50+. He has good size and an ability to be strong on the puck. He would be a huge factor on the PP.

On the negative side, there are two things to consider. He comes with a reputation of being a slacker and a coach killer. Where there is smoke, there is fire. Secondly, what would Washington want back in return? There’s no use dismantling young assets to jus to bring in an unreliable superstar.

I think any team’s best bet is to try and pull off a fire sale trade along the lines of Luongo and Jagr. I’m not sure Washington would ever do that.

24.4 Cups

• CJ says:

With his cap hit and history, I’m not sure I’d give up more than a mid level draft pick. Plus, I’d be asking that they throw in Tom Wilson.

That’s a polite way of saying I wouldn’t want him unless it was a complete steal of a deal. Sure, he scores goals, but I want to win a Cup. I’m not sure he gets us any closer.

• Paz says:

When your star player refuses to play defence and refuses to back check you will not win.

• 24 Cups says:

Exactly. That’s why guys like Toews, Datsyuk and Getzlaf are true stars.

24.4 Cups

10. alfieturcotte says:

Taking Bournival out of the line up will basically eliminate the offensive threat on our 4th line. His speed, drive, and intensity was the main reason for the success of the 4th line. Replacing him with Moen would be a mistake. Also, Bournival’s speed was very effective in the Dzone and back check.

If Galchenyuk is healthy, you sit Weise. If Moen is healthy as well, you SIT Moen. The best should be out there, and Bournival is better. I also doubt Moen will dare drop his gloves again, so his presence in lineup would be a waste of Bournival’s effectiveness.

As for Price, he needs to be much better than he was against Tampa. Rask is no back up. I want to see the Price from the regular season, not the .905% one. If he plays as he did against Tampa, we will be eliminated.

• CharlieH24 says:

I agree with Bournival. The kid just hustles; it seems like every time he is on the ice, he makes positive plays and shows his promise. Easily becoming one of my favourite players on this team.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

I wouldn´t worry about Price. Completely agree with the rest.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

You know I am a Habs fan and have been for a long, long time. I want them to win as badly as anyone but I am realistic also. Price hasn’t shown me much…against Tampa he was adequate but good not a chance. He still gives up soft goals and Boston is not Tampa and as one psoter said Rask is not Bishops back up. So as bad as I want the Habs to win if Ihad to bet ona team in the series against Boston all my money is on Boston. I sure hope I am wrong.

11. Habs_Fan_In_San_Diego says:

Guys, check this out … the similarities between St. Loius Blues’ first round matchups last year and this year… freakin’ amazing:

2013 Round 1 Blues vs. Kings (defending Stanley Cup champions)
    Game 1: Alex Steen scored game-winning goal in OT.
    Game 2: Barret Jackman scored game-winning goal.
    Game 3: Blues outshot Kings by nine, got shut out.
    Game 4: Blues blew 3-2 lead late in third period, lost 4-3.
    Game 5: Alex Pietrangelo scored game-tying goal (his first of the playoffs, assisted by Jaden Schwartz), Blues lost 3-2 in OT.
    Game 6: Blues lost 2-1, eliminated from playoffs.

2014 Round 1 Blues vs. Blackhawks (defending Stanley Cup champions)
    Game 1: Alex Steen scored game-winning goal in OT.
    Game 2: Barret Jackman scored game-winning goal.
    Game 3: Blues outshot Blackhawks by nine, got shut out.
    Game 4: Blues blew 3-2 lead late in third period, lost 4-3.
    Game 5: Alex Pietrangelo scored game-tying goal (his first of the playoffs, assisted by Schwartz), Blues lost 3-2 in OT.
    Game 6: ???

_______________________________

My avatar ==> San Diego in January

12. SmartDog says:

If the B’s beat the Wings tonight, when does the next round start? Anyone know?

I can’t recall how this usually works…. though in this case it might depend on how much rest the league thinks the B’s need. :P

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

13. ProHabs says:

Would Therrien go with 7 d men in order to get Murray in there when needed (penalty kill and in case Bruins play their usual dirty game).He can then keep the same 3 defence pairings as he used in the Tampa series.

He would then need to go with 11 forwards. Briere needs to stay in since the playoffs is what we got him for (thus there is no room to put in White or Moen), then you choose between Bournival and Weise as they both played well in round 1. Would have to lean towards Weise as he is just as good a skater and tougher.

Wingers on the other lines can be double shifted as they will be well rested after a quick first round.

• CJ says:

I don’t envy the coaches’ pending decision. That said, it’s a great problem to have. IMO, I wouldn’t go down the road with an unbalanced lineup (7 D, 11 FWD).

The players on the proverbial hot seat are Prust, Weaver and Bouillion. Of the three, Frankie had the best series. He is also the coaches’ most trusted warrior, so I can’t see him coming out unless we fall behind or face injuries.

Weaver was very good (regular season) following a poor first game in Phoenix. His three worst games as a member of the Canadiens happened to be the three last games of the regular season. He has been up and down this postseason. Overall his play has been average/good as a number 6, but he has looked shaky/frightening at times. It’s likely no coincidence that he and Emelin (our two shakiest defenders) also have the least amount of playoff experience.

Prust is hurt. The time off will benefit him more than any other player in our organization. If Chucky was healthy, he would bump Prust. I can’t impress upon the commentariat how painful it was watching him live. His checks had zero energy behind them and he laboured to skate up and down the ice.

IMO, Moen for Prust and Tinordi/Murray for Weaver are the only two changes we might see. That said, considering the line rushes at practice today, I’d say it’s almost certain we start with the same lineup.

I really don’t care who plays, so long as we beat the Bruins…..

• frontenac1 says:

I noticed Prust too amigo. If it was his ribs, he should be good after this rest. If it was that shoulder again, it could be bad.

• Rad says:

I would like to see Prust get an extended leave of absence so he can heal up from whatever ails him. But will that really happen, considering that he was inserted in the lineup against Tampa, when he was even less healthy than he will be after this rest? Prust is a Therrien favorite, so I don’t see that he will be scratched against Boston. If Therrien wants to insert Travis Moen against the Bruins for his size, I think Bournival is the most likely candidate to sit.

14. JUST ME says:

About time McPhee gets thrown out of Washington. Well actually for political corectness sake his deal will not be renewed.

He missed the curve a few years ago and since then has no idea where hockey is at. I think that everyone has to take their part of the blame cause this is a team after all but wayyyyyy before Oates ans Ovy ,McPhee idslargely responsible for the Caps being in a cul de sac. Remember Erat for Forsberg ? That was the last straw…

15. Chris says:

Cherry is a Grade A idiot. His stance on visors has done far more damage than his attempts to claim credit for the Stop initiative in junior hockey. His stance on Europeans is so reprehensible that it amazes me that he’s given a taxpayer-funded soapbox.

Take Coaches Corner off the air and I guarantee you that HNIC ratings don’t change one bit. People tune in to watch hockey…they could put any monkey on the air in the intermissions (as CBC has continually demonstrated by giving air-time to the likes of Stock, Milbury and Cherry) and it won’t make a lick of difference.

• frontenac1 says:

McLean is the idiot. Grapes is fine.

• Paz says:

Is it fine to ridicule players who are not born and raised in Canada?
        Do you agree with the position that Europeans are soft?
        In Canada we include EVERYONE equally.
        That is the Canadian way.

• bjmmn says:

It’s simple. People who like him watch to see what he’s going to say next. People who hate him do the same. Ratings are ratings; won’t be surprised at all if he’s back.

• frontenac1 says:

For sure he’ll be back. Huge for ratings. Wonder if they’ll get Jackie Redmond from Sportsnet on the show ?

• Paz says:

I think the CBC should encourage tolerance and equality, in sports, or whatever they want to broadcast.

Cherry should not be allowed to teach young Canadians his views on people.

• frontenac1 says:

CBC is done this year Paz. Rogers /sportsnet got the gig for next year. Grapes will be there,Love him or Hate him, he is big for ratings.

• BJ says:

I do not agree that Europeans are soft. They are very skilled and its a question of talent vs toughness the North American way. I’ve worked at over a thousand Euro games in almost every Euro country where hockey is played (including Russia) and there is nothing soft about hockey on this side of the pond.

• DipsyDoodler says:

It’s an axiom of the arts world (trust me on this) that every major cultural institution needs at least one old queen.

If Cherry goes who gets that job?

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• BJ says:

I’ve met both several times over the years (work wise). Their off air persona are somewhat different. Both are actually quite decent guys. They are partially entertainers and I’m OK with that. Just a personal opinion…..

• frontenac1 says:

+100 BJ! You don’t have to agree with everything Grapes says, I certainly don’t but I love his show. I can’t stand McLean and his cornball ramblings.

16. CJ says:

Bettman, leveraging his former NBA experience should follow their playoff format. Second round series start immediately following the end of the first round. This way you build momentum. If Boston clinches today, than Montreal and Boston should start on Tuesday.

Now that the playoff format has changed, you no longer need to wait until all first round series have been decided before moving onto the second round. Waiting 11 days between the first and second round makes zero sense. It’s one of the reasons hockey is now played in mid June.

IMHO, this is completely unacceptable.

• The Jackal says:

Hellz no! If there’s no hockey in June, wtf am I supposed to watch in June? Baseball? LOL! No thanks!

Seriously though, I’m fine with hockey in June. I can’t stand going to a bar and the only thing on the highlights is baseball and golf. Thank god the World Cup is this summer.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

17. D Man says:

For all the posters dealing with how to play the Bruins in the next series I would suggest waiting until they have moved on. The Wings ain’t dead yet.

You can’t be both a Habs and a Leafs fan

• CJ says:

My brother used to tell me about him four years ago while watching him play in the GTHL. He’s either right on, or right off. He can look like Crosby one minute, and than like Pavel Brendl the next.

I think your boom or bust prediction is very fair. In 5-7 years he will either be a star, or bounce around like Pouliot. He would be a great pick for a team like Buffalo who hold multiple first round selections.

• ont fan says:

Saw him in Windsor a couple of times. Not really big, skates well. Bournival type guy but not as dogged.

• Chris says:

How does Ho-Sang end up ahead of Fabbri!??!

It can’t be size…Fabbri is 5’10.25″ and 170 pounds, while Ho-Sang is 5’11″ and 175 pounds.

It can’t be offence:

Fabbri – 58 GP, 45 G, 87 PTS
      Ho-Sang – 67 GP, 32 G, 85 PTS

Fabbri is a much better skater than Ho-Sang, and he is far more consistently engaged in the play. They are both talented guys, but there is no way that Ho-Sang should go above Fabbri. I get the feeling that people hold Fabbri’s talented line-mates against him (he had Jason Dickinson and Scott Kosmachuk for much of the season), but Ho-Sang’s running mates until the trade deadline were frequently Brady Vail and Kerby Rychel, no slouches themselves.

You’ve got my attention now, Ben…I better see Fabbri awfully soon in these rankings! ;)

• Paz says:

Watched Fabbri last night. He was all over the ice. Love his speed.

• Chris says:

The jump foward that Fabbri has taken this year has been astounding. He was always quick, but he didn’t seem to end up anywhere. This year, he’s put it all together and he creates a few quality scoring chances for he and his teammates every single game.

On top of his NHL calibre speed, he’s also got a great release on his shot…he gets rid of the puck ridiculously fast, making it hard for goalies to get a read on him.

• Paz says:

And he back checked last night with great intensity, which shows great character.

Really could not stop watching him. Very interesting prospect.

18. Phil C says:

The Leafs and Ovie would be a perfect match. Putting one of the most marketable stars in the largest hockey market would be a cash cow for the league and would guarantee the leafs would never win anything.

19. habsfan0 says:

I take it Mike Babcock will be wearing his lucky McGill University tie today?
    Bruins don’t stand a chance.
    Claude Julien will counter with Dunkin’ Donuts chocolate stains all over his face.

20. Psycho29 says:

And it’s already started:

@AmalieBenjamin (Bruins beat writer for the Boston Globe) :
    The French-language RDS reporter in Boston has a Canadiens decal on her fingernail.

Conor McKenna‏ @mckennaconor
    Seems a tad unprofessional.

Chantal Machabee ‏@ChantalMachabee
    @mckennaconor Judging without asking any questions…from a journalist…is it a tad unprofessional? ;) things aren’t always what they seem.

Conor McKenna ‏@mckennaconor
    @ChantalMachabee no offense was intended at all.

Chantal Machabee‏ @ChantalMachabee
    @mckennaconor I know! :)

• Mondou6 says:

Boston media calling any other journalists unprofessional is about as funny as it gets. Let’s get Jack Edwards’ unbiased take on the matter.

Also, I guess she missed the HNIC episode where Cherry was wearing a Bruins tie.

• adamkennelly says:

if Habs play the Bruins – there absolutely needs to be line-up changes. Open season on everyone if we ice the same squad as the TB games.

Moen or White goes in and so does Murray.

Frankie B and Bournival come out.

It has to be done – too many scumbags on the Bruins.

• sheds88 says:

i know bournival seems to be the easy pick to sit against the bruins. but his speed and determination is exactly what you need to beat the bigger slower bruins. i can see the line up changing quite a bit in this series (unless of course we win every game). because of our first round results, i think therrien is going to stay with the same line up, with the exception of either murray or tiny in for bouillon

• JUST ME says:

As if Boston`s media were not homers !!!

Unfortunately to have Conor McKenna mixed in the conversation is not a plus for us. What a weak link in the Mtl`s media jungle !

21. B says:

Some talk about loading up for bear and putting lots of toughness into the line up if they play Boston. There’s nothing wrong with making adjustments, but I think Montreal has to play their own game and be careful not fall into the trap of trying to play the Bruin’s game.

–Go Habs Go!–

• frontenac1 says:

I’d pair Murray with Weaver. Whitey for Bournival. That’s about it. Moen can be rotated in if there are injuries up front. I would still like to see Stache with a shift or two to beat up Lucy.

• Strummer says:

The only Lucy the ‘stache could beat up at this point would be the one that was married to Desi (in her prime of course)

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• Phil C says:

I think the stache has played his last NHL hockey.

• B says:

While the image of Lucic getting his due is a nice one, I think Boston would love to see Parros out there against Lucic’s line. Lucic won’t fight him and Parros would not be helping prevent or score goals.

I like Murray’s size and penalty killing, but his lack of mobility really makes me nervous at even strength. I don’t know how well they would be able to shelter him, especially on the road. Tough call (no pun intended).

Bournival has been playing well and his speed could be effective against some slow Bruin’s Dmen. White does add another dimension, hopefully he would be able to use good judgement and restraint when called for. He must be all wound up to go after having watched for a while now.

Boston has yet to take a major penalty these playoffs, they are playing tight and giving up very few scoring opportunities. It’s hard to say how much Montreal might tinker with a wining line up. All four lines played well together in the first round. I’m eager to see what happens next round.

–Go Habs Go!–

• sheds88 says:

i agree, though i think bournival could be valuable in a series against the bruins. White is an excellent replacement and i’m really loveing the depth we have.

• Mondou6 says:

That’s what we say every year, and then half our skill players end up in the hospital, followed by a complete playoff beat down, and people bemoaning the fact that we have no answer for the goonish hockey that is allowed in the playoffs.

It’s hard to play “our style of hockey” when Chara, Marchand, Thornton, and Lucic will be dealing their typical cheap shots, dirty hits, boarding, spearing, and dropping the gloves against our undersized team.

Again, the refs will call nothing on the Bruins. It’s basically UFC fighting, on ice, with sticks and pucks. That’s the Bruins game.

Who’s supposed to fight the Bruins’ heavyweight goon squad? Murray? Prust? Emelin can’t fight, so he’ll be especially targeted, again. We really have no answer for goon hockey.

When Max, Gallagher, or Vanek get injured by a Bruin goon, what do we do? Hope the refs call a 2 minute penalty?

We need to replace Parros in the off-season with someone like him, who can play in these series. Otherwise, we’re just hoping the Bruins are kind enough not to cripple our skill players.

Sucks, but such is the NHL.

• B says:

The last time they met in the playoffs, Montreal gave them all they could handle. It was a 7 game series and Montreal lost 3 in OT. It could have easily gone the other way. There were only two fights in that series, Ference vs Pouliiot and the Wiz vs Hnidy. No heavy weight bouts. Montreal’s style worked well for them that series vs the eventual cup winners.

–Go Habs Go!–

• ont fan says:

They will test you physically the first 2 games. The power play is the only deterent. If you fight every game you probably lose.

• zephyr says:

agreed. we have size & speed on our top 2 lines. do we have enough size on the bottom 2 lines as well? prob not but it may be more important that they play well. galchenyuk will be back soon, hopefully, & I think bournival or briere will sit. I agree murray should be in for bouillon but I doubt it’ll happen til we lose.
        last game against boston we lost weise & moen & emelin was speared in the nuts by lucy.
        I hope we see the same aggressive forechecking style we saw vs. tb.
        price will need to be sharper. we totally dominated tb & won 2 close ones. I suspect the bruins will put up a better fight.

• DipsyDoodler says:

“That’s what we say every year, and then half our skill players end up in the hospital, followed by a complete playoff beat down,”

This is possibly an accurate description of the series against the Sens (although I don’t think it is), but no other series in the last ten years remotely fits that description.

—–
        Moving. Forward.

22. frontenac1 says:

Reports. Adam Oates fired.

23. Prop says:

Oates and McPhee canned by the Capitals.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

24. Danno says:

No luck so far :-(

Still in waiting room.

Anyone get tix?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

25. Slackman says:

Man I loathe Jarome Iginla and his chirp-run-hide-behind-Lucic spiel. He used to be a respectable dude and now he’s been turned into another Marchand-type rat.

“When the going get’s weird, the weird turn pro”

• Mavid says:

Once he put that horrible jersey on..its a shame..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• sheds88 says:

bugs the hell out of me too. I’m a mild flames fan living in Calagry and have always liked him and respected him. he wasn’t like that when he was in Calgary or Pittsburgh. coincidence ???? even worse, a lot folk around here want the bruins to win because of iginla.

26. Ass in TO, Heart in the Forum says:

Montreal’s mayor commenting on the city’s bars being allowed to stay open until sunrise this summer.

–“There is a nightlife in Montreal,” Mr. Coderre said. “The only reason there is one in Toronto is because there are half a million Montrealers who moved there.”–

My contribution to Toronto’s nightlife has been woefully inadequate, despite my Montreal heritage. For the duration of the playoffs, I pledge to stay up a half hour later and have one more scotch.

Hobie:

Right now, Bournival is a better hockey player than Moen. I also suspect that Moen may well be a bit gun shy after his last concussion. I can’t see the team benefitting in any way by having Moen back in the line-up (except on the PK).

I’m leery of having too many Dmen playing on their wrong side. Tinordi on his off side isn’t that much better than Weaver with Weaver’s NHL experience being the tie-breaker.

Despite his numerous limitations, I think the team has no choice but to start Murray against Boston. With a well rested team, MT can overwork the other two pairings. He can also do his best to shelter Murray’s zone starts and game situations. The real drawback here being the immense pressure this will put on Weaver.

24.4 Cups

• 5wings says:

IMO we have to go with Murray for Frankie..his play against Boston this year has been great..they will be crashing the net and getting in Careys grill..he has to be protected..Chara on the PP Murray can handle him..he should be rested and ready..I would leave Bourny in he has been fantastic lately..need as much size as possible to counter the GOONS..

GO HABS GO!!

• Caesar is along for the ride for 25 says:

if Moen can’t hit or fight or anything without worrying about another concussion in quick succession then he is useless. He can only be a major distraction if he gets concussed again.It would suck the life out of the team

28. CJ says:

The Anaheim Ducks, a contrast in differences……

Six players 24 or younger, of which four are 21 or younger. At the other end of the spectrum, two of the oldest players in the postseason, Koivu and Selane.

Dallas also boasts a number of younger players, while carrying Gonchar who has looked every bit his age.

I’ve only caught bits and pieces of this series, but it seems to be a very chippy contest, pitting bulldogs against German sheppards. Lots of jabbing, fighting, after the whistle scrums and bad blood. Our old friend Eric Cole has found himself on the outside looking in.

It’s a tough balancing act. Age and experience carry substantive value, however up and down lineups it’s the under 30 crowd who are the impact players. The composition of any team require some column A, some column B and probably a mix and match of personalities and specialists.

How does this apply to our team? I really like the mix right now. However, I think we may have missed an opportunity by not integrating Beaulieu this year and sticking with him for 82 games, but I can’t argue with the results thus far. Margins of error are going to become tighter and tighter and every piece will count. How Therien manages his pieces on the chess board during the next series will go a long way to determining our success. Ultimately, it will likely rest, to a great degree, with Price, but I’m curious to see what adjustments we make as we face adversity this post season. Thus far our resolve has not been seriously tested. That will change in the next two weeks. Adjustments and personnel decisions will be key in countering the Bruins.

Just a quick observation from the cheap seats…..

• B says:

Mornin’ CJ. I also noticed Cole was a scratch, for the 3rd game in a row. I don’t think it is just an age thing though, there are players making contributions who are older than Cole (St.Louis, Boyle, Chara, Iginla, Datsyuk…). At the time and now with the benefit of hindsight, I think it’s good that Montreal parted ways Cole when they did.

–Go Habs Go!–

• CJ says:

I absolutely agree B.

It’s not the age of the vehicle, but the miles. Some roads are a little less forgiving. Lindstrom was able to continue to compete and be effective because of his style of play. IMO, I would not resign Prust or Moen. When their contracts are over it will be time to move on, if not sooner.

I’ve not seen a player labour more than Prust in game four. He is so hurt he couldn’t even shoot the puck out of his own end. He couldn’t hit, skate and his passes were off the mark.

Unless he takes a year off, his career appears at a crossroad.

29. habsfan0 says:

So,if it’s to be the Habs and the Bruins,will Don Cherry be decked out in black and gold every night to show just how impartial he is?

• ffenliv says:

I don’t get the obsession with impartiality on the CBC. Personally, I’d prefer fire-breathing partisans, as long as the analysis is decent. There are good counters to these guys, too. Well, maybe just one. Friedman is, in my opinion, second-best in the business after Bobby Mac.

Guys like Stock are a dime-a-dozen, and he could easily be replaced. I don’t really see what he brings, as his analysis is very basic or flawed most of the time.

But personally, I like having the over-the-top guys like Cherry around. I don’t often agree with him, but I don’t think that means they should can him.

Fact is, the CBC was never going to find a crew of interesting and impartial people. And Maclean’s replacement for next year is a Habs fan. I’ve heard a lot of people say “It’s about time we got a turn”, but if they really favoured impartiality, they’d be just as pissed. To me, they’re just pissed that it’s a fan of another team, a rival at that.

• Strummer says:

I don’t get the obsession either.
        These broadcasts are supposed to be entertaining,
        How boring would it be if there was a panel of 4 Habs fan who agreed with each other on everything said?
        We need the PJ Stocks, Cherrys, Healeys, Milburys etc. for entertainment value.
        As you said as long as there is someone to offer a counterpoint what is the problem?

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• ffenliv says:

What’s also entertaining, is that if you read Leaf fan forums, a lot of their fans hate the CBC because they thing the broadcaster has it in for them.

At the end of the day, fans will find what they need to satisfy their emotional investment. That’s fine with me, as long as people are aware of it. It’s when people take their opinion reactions and turn them into ‘fact’.

• Hobie says:

Don Cherry has come right out and said he’s a Bruins and Leafs fan. Everybody knows that. I’ve seen him him take jabs at French players, the Habs and on and on.

However, he’s also done plenty of features of Habs players in his Coaches Corners, talked about how much he loves certain players on the team, from Guy Lafleur, Kirk Muller to Carey Price.

He’s also said he cheers for the Habs if the Bruins and Leafs are gone. At least he’s honest! He doesn’t pretend to be neutral like a bunch of the other wimps on TV.

Cherry is brash, obnoxious and says his share of dumb things. He loves Canada, he wears his emotions on his sleeve and isn’t a big phony like 90% of the broadcasters we see on television. He has the guts to be himself and doesn’t give a rat’s ass. Good for him!

If there was a guy to go on television from Montreal and say he loves the Habs, thinks players from the GTA are a bunch of pukes and that despises the Maple Leafs, this site would go crazy for him!

• habsfan0 says:

Who was Cherry cheering for during last spring’s opening round between the Bruins and Leafs?
        That must have presented quite a dilemma for him.

• Mad Habber says:

I was going to respond to the guy above you, but I think you explained exactly what I was thinking. Cherry doesn’t pretend to be impartial, so even if I don’t necessary agree with him I can at least respect his opinions. Where Healy, Stock, McClean and stupid Pilsbury (no longer with CBC?) pretend like they are impartial, but do not hide their partiality well.

• ffenliv says:

Stock is only there for entertainment value and nothing else. He contributes nothing at all that any other guy in a suit couldn’t do. Where entertainment is concerned, he’s great value, but that’s not particularly special.

Glenn Healey seems to be slowly losing his mind. He’s a lot louder than he used to be, and rants a lot about goalies. I know he was one and all, but still, 5 times a night he says ‘the book’ in regards to a goalie. It gets a bit dull.

• frontenac1 says:

Grapes is not impartial.He never pretended to be. That’s not his schtick.He”s nuts and I like him that way. Andi Petrillo should replace that smarmy little side kick of his. Saludos!

30. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

We shall defend our ice, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the boards, we shall fight on the faceoffs, we shall fight on the benchs and in the crease, we shall fight in the scrums; we shall never surrender.

Go Habs Go

31. Sportfan says:

Waiting for the tickets to go on sale, my goal cheapest tickets possible :P

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

32. Lafleurguy says:

@Ladies-and-Germs-amiably-chatting-about-young-goalies:

Two words, Semyon Varlomov, Sergei Bobrovsky.
    I may have lost count. I thought Varlamov was done when he had girlfriend and police trouble.

33. Hobie says:

If I’m Michel Therrien and Marc Bergevin, I’m taking the “poke the bear” approach into the next series against the Bruins. I take Mike Bourinival, Francis Bouillon and potentially Mike Weaver out of the lineup.

I insert Travis Moen, Douglas Murray and Jarred Tinordi.

I have three separate meetings. One with the tougher and grittier guys, one with the skilled guys then one with everyone all together.

I tell the gritter guys I want them in Rask’s face before and after whistles, knocking down and face washing Bruins in front of Price and also finishing every hit anywhere on the ice. I want to create a total sideshow where the Bruins are losing their minds, chasing the Habs around the ice and it resulting in more Bruins heading to the box than us.

The skilled guys, turn the other cheek, stay out of the monkey business and capitalize on the Bruins being distracted and on man advantages.

Bring everyone back together, get the game plan set, and lets kick some Boston ass!!!

• Cal says:

That sounds a lot like the Gooins game plan, Hobie.
      The Habs drove them nuts this season with speed and well-timed Emelin spleen-splitting hits.
      Frankly, watching a lot of the games I’ve noticed one glaring thing. The Habs play at a really high speed. Boston- Detroit looks like a turtle race until Helm or Tatar get the puck.
      Habs will need a combo of toughness, speed and skill to get through them. Still cheering for Detroit to take at least one more game.

• Lafleurguy says:

Moen would be the recipient of vicous chirping, not from Miller, but from the rest of the Bruins including Iginla, but excluding Bergeron. His sole action with his guarded ice-time should be to do a can-opener on Lucic.

• Mavid says:

sounds good to me..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Maritime Ronn says:

That could very well be…Game 2

• Mattyleg says:

Interesting strategy!

I would have to say that we stick with what brung us, and not get sucked into playing Bruins Hockey, because we won’t win.

They’ve got the market cornered on garbage disguised as hockey, and we can beat them other ways.

My absolute favourite moments of the B’s-Wings series is watching Abdelkader drive Chara absolutely nuts. It’s like watching a bear trying to chase a wasp. Both of Detroit’s goals on Thurs. saw Chara completely forget about coverage as he was trying to swat, slash, and crosscheck Abdelkader.

We can do that no problem. Get Gally in his face, Gio and the big brute have a history… get Subby and Yemmy to check The Rat so hard he pukes (again) and we’re in business.

No changes. Get them to change for US.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Marc10 says:

I’d keep Weaver in. He hits like a mule. Otherwise no issues. To poke the bear is easy. Send in number 11. Half a period ought to do it. The alternative is go up by 2 in the first. That will do it too.

• CJ says:

Weaver is a good hitter. That said, he takes more hits than Gorges and Emelin combined. One of the most noticeable things watching game four live was just how often Weaver gets pounded.

Markov seldom gets hit. PK seldom takes big checks either. The other four get pounded all game. I would imagine that Boston will be targeting our defenceman next round.

• kempie says:

If our power play was something to be feared that plan would work work a lot better. But because it sucks, I’d rather take it to them with blinding speed and relentless forecheck. The Bs don’t handle that stuff well and they haven’t yet played against this team the way it is now.

• SlovakHab says:

So basically you take out speed (Bournival) and a great third pairing defenceman (Weaver) and replace them with players that will get hemmed in their own zone.

Agains Bruins team, that is 4 lines deep.
      To try to play their type of hockey. We will be done like dinner, my friend. I don’t remember this strategy worked once.

I won’t mind giving Tinordi a try (instead of Bouillon), but for the love of Jean Beliveau, do not ever play Douglas Murray again. As for Moen, he is a decent 4th liner that can play, but at the moment we have plenty of depth so he will most likely sit out.

34. Mattyleg says:

Nothing like an 11-day layoff to really get those playoff fires stoked, eh?

Good thing the weather isn’t amazing, or 90% of Montreal would forget about the playoffs altogether!

NHL has to figure out how to avoid this in the future.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• adamkennelly says:

agreed – ridiculous halt to the fun of the playoffs and the momentum of a huge series sweep..and to think we have to wait till all round 1 games are over – giant pile of frank!

35. jo_maka says:

On a cell so can’t reply directly, but wanted to chime in re: Markov.

Our D-corps has a skilled and fierce commodore in PK, but we still need a General. I actually think Markov has more influence on him than JJ or MT (case in point: that game when PK was barking at the bench , 3 if I’m not mistaken). He has to come back.
    Vanek was almost a freebie, and he brings so much, even when he’s not producing, he’s always a threat. And opposing team has to plan around him, and that gives more much needed space and opportunity for most of our boys who are better suited for secondary scoring.

Having those two, having a great run this year and having a progressing and promising youth at key positions would help in attracting the big names comes July 1st.

If we manage that, then Captain and several others have to go.

Since there’s no Hab hockey this weekend I thought I’d turn to golf for a minute. Here’s a video that I made last season with my brother. I’m the guy in the purple shirt. Enjoy.

24.4 Cups

37. Habfan10912 says:

“Playoff hockey is officiated differently then regular season.”

No question that that’s true although for the life of me do I understand it. I’ve become a little concerned as well at the after play scrums, the extra shots and the seemingly allowing much more clutch and grabbing in these playoffs.

The good news? Last season the first round resembled similar trends as that of which we see so far in round 1. In round 2 the face palming, stick work, and clutching was better enforced. I sure hope recent history repeats itself.

The bad news? The year the Bruins won the Cup they were allowed to do whatever. The whistles stayed silent and the Bruins were able to run rough shod on the rest of the league.

The recent nut spearing(s) have all the markings of the bad news scenario.

• Cal says:

Perry got his last night for all the cheap shots he’s delivered. Perry should have been given a game earlier in the series. He got two minutes, and they called it a slash.
      I have not liked that the NHL refs are told to close their collective eyes and allow all the crap we’ve seen. Unfortunately, Jim, the Habs have to adjust to and play that way, too, while trying to protect themselves from it.

• Mavid says:

Could not agree more, I made a comment to my husband about this the other night, so much of that pushing, shoving, face washing it seems after almost every whistle..a bit is OK but it has grown very tiresome..slows the game down.. I don’t like it..is this suppose to be entertainment?

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Paz says:

It’s the NHL version of extreme tailgating that goes on in NASCAR racing so it’s tolerated (read encouraged ).

When cars are only inches apart there is a real tension in the air that an accident could happen at any moment.

When players push and shove after the whistle you will see dozens in the crowd at the edge of their seats hoping for a fight to break loose.

Accidents in NASCAR = fighting in the NHL.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Jim

You forget the “olden days” when the refs would almost only call a penalty when there was a scoring chance.

Today, it’s more a question of consistency…of which there is ZERO.
      Add in the 2 ref system, and it’s chaos out there.
      No player knows what will be called when from 1 game to the next.

This is solvable if they went back to the 1 referee system and allowed the NHL lineman to do their job according to the Present Rules

NHL Rule Book:
      The Linesman MUST report upon completion of play, any
      circumstances pertaining to:
      (v) Major penalties
      (vi) Match penalties
      (vii) Misconduct penalties
      (viii) Game Misconduct penalties

Allowing and forcing linemsmen to report to the ref of any Major-Match penalty would allow the ref not to need 6 sets of eyes and the players would know that 3 on ice officials can call the bad stuff.

The ref would then be allowed to impose his style and take care of the game flow.

• CJ says:

If we are icing the same lineup that delivered the four game sweep of the Bolts, our only choice will be to turn the other cheek and skate away. We haven’t the weapons to fight back. We can pick our spots and play tough whistle to whistle, but we will not win a series in which we attempt to play the physical brand of hockey the Bruins are famous for. We have enjoyed success against Boston because we don’t engage them. They get frustrated and start to run around trying hit us. It’s than that we open it up and exploit their lack of speed. Detroit played this perfectly in game one. Than, they got sucked into the Bruins TD Garden culture and started strumming after the whistle.

Emelin and PK can land hits, provided they don’t take themselves out of the play. This will drive the Bruins and their fans crazy. Their personal pride will be hurt and they haven’t the discipline not to avoid taking the retaliatory penalty. Of course, this becomes more difficult if the officials close their eyes and refuse to hold them accountable. Further, our PP needs to be the deterrent. A lifeless PP is like a free pass. Looking back on the 2011 series, in game seven, two of our three goals were on the PP, including PK’s tying goal with just under 2 minutes to play.

Looking ahead, in 1-3 years, we will be the aggressors who will be pushing the Bruins around and bullying them after the whistle. Sorry to be that guy, but I can’t wait.

38. Lafleurguy says:

If Ron MacLean had consulted HIO, we would have found him examples of calls against the Habs:
    Francois St. Laurent’s most controversial decision this season was when he chose not to intervene when Ray Emery pummelled Braden Holtby.

As for MacLean, his intention to be superior in insight (perspicacity, UCe et.al.) has blown up in his face, and it should have, because all series have had spotty officiating, and not because of assumed (or presumed) nationalistic bias.

Cliven Bundy:

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Guy! One thing I know for sure. Ron MacLean is biased against the Montreal Canadiens.

• Mavid says:

Boy thats an interesting fine Lafleurguy..Then I started to read the second link…all I can say is wow..I cannot wrap my head around any of this stuff…when I was growing up, everyone was welcome in our house. What they did for a living, what color their skin was, what nationality they were was NEVER discussed..EVER..I had no idea what a Jew was until I became an adult..people were people..to this day I am still that way. But you know daily discussion often start with..so and so (insert color, nationality) and then the story is told. Or so and so did this (insert color , nationality) they are like that..drives me crazy..and makes me angry..people think I am too sensitive..I don’t think so..its a matter of I don’t get it..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Lafleurguy says:

M., you respect people. Respect is the springboard to many constructive and nurturing actions. Afterall, you’re married to a Senators fan!
        Meanwhile, others begin with looking down on people and that hubrus is the springboard to many destructive actions.

• Mavid says:

When I was dating my husband and I met my (to be) in laws..it was a bit of a culture shock to say the least…as they were “that way” a couple of quick examples ..my mother in law was telling me a story about the neighbor..this is what she said “You know the neighbor, their German you know, got robbed the other night” I was honestly confused I did not get the connection..so I asked her “they were robbed because they were German?” The look she gave me…it was downhill from there on in. Also they had three children, one daughter married a black man, the other daughter married a Jewish man, and their son married me a divorcee with a child..LOL..when the eldest daughter announced she was marrying her man ..they were shocked and asked them what they planned to do about children..to which they replied..have them like everyone else..true stories..I could not make this stuff up..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

39. Maritime Ronn says:

Good morning

What an incredible hatchet job done by TSN/Sportsnet – and any other news outlet that took Patrick Roy’s 5 second ballsy comment way out of context – and of course he just happens to be an ex Hab.

The 5 second clip of Patrick was from an overall interview that lasted…14 minutes and 32 seconds.
    Patrick Roy Post Practice April 25.

Perhaps these COTU media outlets could shine some light on ex Leaf coaches in the playoffs at this time.
    You know…present or ex coaches such as Randy Carlyle-Ron Wilson-Paul Maurice-Pat Quinn-Mike Murphy-Nick Beverley…..

The idiotic media baiting questions to Patrick knows no bounds.
    One was, “….Are you (team and him) going to show up tomorrow?”

In the interview, Patrick praised and showed a lot of respect for his guys, the city and fans.
    He called his players, his “Partners.”

He talked about scoring chances vs. shots on goal – how the intensity of 1 on 1 battles in the playoffs increases – how in the playoffs vs. regular season, that making sure the puck gets to the net even just for a rebound, is more important than missing the net.

He mentioned how a young team has to go through a learning process – sometimes having to take a step back before going forward.
    He mentioned patience and how no team has ever gone 16-0 in the playoffs, and the key being the courage and mental toughness to bounce back after losses.

I watched the Chicago – St Louis game which was highly entertaining. Toews, one of the true stars in the NHL, scored a beauty in overtime. It’s mindboggling that one of these two teams will be out of the playoff race after just the first round.

I trust that Backes is healthy enough to play. I’d hate to see a guy like Backes or Stamkos jeopardize their future health just so they can return to the work place and be “one of the boys”. When it’s all said and done, playing hockey is just a job. There are certainly more important things in life.

IF Vanek is the top UFA, then Miller has to be #2. It’s weird that St Louis hasn’t signed him so I take it that he will test the free agent market on July 1st (just like Vanek). There is going to be a ton of goalie movement around the league and Miller might well land up in Anaheim. That could lead to a wild scramble by the other half dozen teams in need of a starter in net. Contrast that to the Habs who have the face of the franchise locked up long term.

24.4 Cups

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning 24! A few people were putting the Hawks in the garbage can earlier this week. A heart of a champion.

I don’t know what it is, I’m perfectly willing to admit its just me, but I’ve never fell in love with Miller. Perhaps its his size, or lack of it. Perhaps it was the God-awful Sabres teams he has played with.

Your point about having Price as the face in net for many years is bang on. Like the Hawks, Price weathered the fans wrath as he was maturing and his team was improving. A lesser man would have been crushed by the crap he had to endure.

• 24 Cups says:

Hab fans were caught up in a lot of stories this year but for me the lead story was the attitudinal change in Carey Price and the maturity he has shown on a nightly basis. He’s under contract for 4 more years so that will be a significant window of opportunity for the team to utilize.

24.4 Cups

• CJ says:

Good post.

Regarding Montreal’s goaltending situation, it was an area of concern as recently as last offseason. Now, we appear to have built strong depth, 1-4 (Price, Budaj, Tokarski, Condon), with Fucale as a potential future asset.

Our defence is now deep and has depth at varying stages of development.

Now we have solidified our third and fourth lines with depth down to Hamilton and into the junior ranks. Daniel Carr and Nick Sorkin were freebies, who might prove to have a future, but there is limited downside risk. We have some very young players in our pipeline who might one day be first or second line assets, but it would be nice to have an Anthony Mantha in the wings (no pun intended). A good draft this season could set us up for the years ahead.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Cups

Why would St. Louis want to sign Miller in advance or before the playoffs are over?

What has he ever won?
      Yes, he had a great 09-10 season, but his reputation is way overstated.

On top of that, he turns 34 this summer and if St.Louis is smart, they don’t go anywhere long with him at probably the +$7M he would want.

If he gets them to the Cup final or wins, that’s one story, but potentially getting knocked out in the 1st round changes things.
      So far, he has only been OK.
      It may be time to give Jake Allen a shot and maybe re-sign Brian Elliot

• Lafleurguy says:

Thanks, Merrytimes. I was trying to remember Jake Allen’s name (as opposed to typing hockeydb).

• 24 Cups says:

I think the simple answer to your question is market conditions. When you take a good look around, there aren’t a lot of viable options for a team that must win now. Turning to Jake Allen means the Blues would have to re-set the clock by another three years.

24.4 Cups

• Maritime Ronn says:

Point taken, yet contrary to years past, these young goalies appear to be a different breed.
          Look at what 23 year old Darcy Kuemper is doing in Minnesota.
          He starts and wins his past 2 games and posts a .979 SP and 0.40 GAA against Colorado.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Cups

From here I don’t see them as an aging team.
          Most are under 30 and they have great youth

• 24 Cups says:

I didn’t mean that from an age perspective. It’s more a case of a never-ending rebuild that has been going on for years in St Louis. It goes back to the Davidson years. I think the feeling in St Louis was we are totally all in on winning this year. Hence the Miller trade.

As for young goalies, most of the have to take a few years of ups and downs to get ready for a Cup run. There’s no better example of that than Crawford. Or Carey Price:)

24.4 Cups

41. Habfan10912 says:

Some well deserved Gionta love on here the last couple days. New contract anyone?

• CJ says:

Good morning Jim.

Some very interesting files this offseason. I love what the Captain did against the Bolts. I think our lack of size will be exposed against the Bruins. The refs simply call the game differently in the post season. If he leads the team past Boston than a great case could be made for a reasonable extension. We might be taking it for granted however that Gionta is willing to sign a 2-3 year deal for $2.5 million annually. It’s a business and he is going to try and cash in with one more deal (at least). With a cap ceiling that might end up lower than originally projected ($71.1 million), we will not be able to resign all of our pending UFA and RFA. Given his play, size and age, I would like to have Eller back. I want PK, White, Weise all resigned. I’m on the fence with Markov and Vanek needs to do significantly more to warrant a long term deal with big cap hit.

Bouillion, Weaver, Parros, Murray can all walk. It’s dollars and cents. I’d like to retain more, but we simply won’t be able to fit everyone in.

• 24 Cups says:

I took a look at the Hab cap situation a few weeks ago. It basically all depends on the Vanek situation. If by some wild chance the Habs can sign him, then Montreal will have to shed some salary which would certainly mean no Briere or Gionta coming back.

If Vanek walks then Montreal won’t have any significant cap issues but the team will have a gaping hole on RW as well as the RD.

24.4 Cups

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning CJ. I’m with you on all except I’m no longer on the fence with Markov. He must be signed. To me he’s more important then signing Vanek, and I think Vanek is huge!
        CHeers.

• Paz says:

Hello Jim, I’m going to stick with my position that Markov is worth much more to someone else on July 1st.

He would fit nicely in our lineup for 1 or 2 more years, that’s certainly true. But we have 2 young dmen in Beaulieu and Tinordi and they both need to play, and there are several teams who might not have that issue.

Come July 1 there will be more than 1 team offering Markov a 4 or 5 year deal a la Mark Streit. He might only get 5 million, but he will get term out of the deal.

If you look at our lineup can you see us with Markov on a 4 or 5 year deal, or would you rather use Beaulieu and Tinordi with Subban, Gorges, Emelin, re sign Weaver or Murray,
          and spend most of the 5 million on Vanek or another top end forward??

We have depth at young defencemen but this team has very little depth at right wing at the NHL level.

• Habfan10912 says:

Hi Ed! Solid point as usual. I’m hoping Bergevin gets Markov signed before he hits the open market. I’m sure there will be teams who will overpay AND over term for Markov’s services.

That’s why we have work stoppages every 5 years. :)

• Cal says:

I think the Habs are all in this season and the team will have major changes after this run, whether the team wins it all or not. Like it or not, the Habs are going to be a lot younger on D next season, giving both Tinordi and Beaulieu an opportunity. If Pateryn could be the new Murray with better skating and he’s a right-handed D, why not?
            Just don’t expect the Habs to be as successful.
            That’s why right now I am enjoying the team we get to root for. Come July, everything changes.

• JUST ME says:

I agree that money will probably be the deciding factor for some players and not necessarely the on ice performance but i would be carefull not to do what the team you love to hate did CJ by getting rid of both Gonchar and Alfredsson and by the same token of more than 30 NHL years of experience.
        That being said, Bergevin went for depth this season and chose not to take any decisions personnel wise so we did not see anyone go except for Diaz. I think it will be a totally different ball game over the summer break. Let`s hope it does not change the great feeling around the team cause it can go from great to worse in a second…But for now could we have a few Habs games pretty please ?

• CJ says:

Melnyk’s cheapness cost them Alfie. The loss of Alfie hurt the Senators, who faced a major leadership vacuum. Spezza proved that he is not that guy. It has been widely reported that MacLean lost the room early in the season. All that said, the issue essentially came down to goaltending and defensive zone play. Goaltending is such a key. Lehner and Anderson were below average, and significantly below their previous season standard. That was essentially the difference between Ottawa in 12/13 vs 13/14.

We can talk six ways to Sunday about the Bruins, but IMO, it all comes down to Price vs Rask. In 2011 Price was excellent against the Bruins, but Thomas put together one of the greatest playoff performances over seven games in league history. This needs to be Price’s party.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Money is money, yet how much does one really need?
      Gionta has career earnings of almost $40M before taxes.
      It would be hard to spend that money.

We’ll find out if he loves the team and city and maybe leaving $500K on the table.
      We’ll also find out if he’s like some of the other Pro Athletes where Money=Respect

42. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

May boston go down in a ball of flames!
    May lucy get his Come Uppins!
    May rask do the the splits and fall on his face!
    :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

43. slyCH says:

So Moen gets the green light to “tango’ with Miller and even the score.

What a league.

Timmy Teabag is taking over for Dallas… 5-2 Ducks.

6-2… all hell is breaking loose.

45. rljmartin says:

Watching Dallas game. Great game in spite of the officiating nightmare.

46. Habitant in Surrey says:

…funny that a lot of so-called Habs Fans get Their silk-panties in a knot bemoaning WHY ??? We can’t hire an anglo/unilingual Coach, when don’tcha know We’re ‘handicapped’ by being ‘obligated’ to hire homeboys

…it seems pretty obvious to Me there are more than enough high quality francophone/bilingual coaches out there doing great jobs …i.e.; Patrick Roy, Alain Vigneault, Claude Julien and Our own Michel Therrien …plus, likely, quite a few more in the weeds awaiting an opportunity to show what they can do in the NHL

…WHY ??? is this even an issue for the Montreal Canadiens’ (Anglo) Fans ?

…P.S.: …I know why, …but I thought I would ‘ask’ anyhow :)

• habsonly says:

No issue for this anglo, just hire the best no matter if they parle or not

Ps I don’t wear panties especially silk ones

• Old Bald Bird says:

Sure, but they aren’t all available when Habs are hiring. It would be nice to have a choice, and we don’t always seem to have that much of one. Fortunately, this hire has worked out great, thanks goodness, but he wasn’t in great demand at the time, and neither was the guy before him.

I think that’s the only issue for most fans, whether they be anglo, franco or punjabi.

(Sorry, supposed to reply to Surrey not habsonly.)

47. WindsorHab-10 says:

Who needs the Vezina when you can have Lord Stanley.

48. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Patrick Roy, after Avs blowing 2-0 series lead:

“Now it’s time, sorry about the words, to put our balls on the table.”

So Garbutt has been ejected for spearing Perry (who himself speared an opponent and wasn’t ejected). NHL couldn’t be more of a effed up league in terms of being inconsistent on disciplining it’s players.

50. Pattyice says:

So when does the second round start for sure? I’m just booking an airline ticket as me and the wife are planning on coming to Montreal and Boston to watch two games!!!!

• ffenliv says:

It’s not set in stone yet, as it’ll hinge on the other first-round series. Odds are one of these will go to 7, so it’ll be 6 days until that finishes, with a day off as well. May 2 is probably the earliest it’ll get underway.

Anyone watching the Ducks game? Great game.

52. jo_maka says:

I think we’re worrying too much about the Bruins around here. I personally don’t. Don’t get it twisted, they won’t be an easy prey. But if there is a team in the east that can stop them, it’s us.

Ask any Sabres fan you can find and they will all tell you that Vanek is a Bruin-hound, and the stats are there to back that up. Chara in all his ten foot ninety four giraffe height couldn’t pry the puck from our mighty flea all season, just panting while DD skated between his stilts. With Budaj in net, we stole their lunch money in their own barn several times this season, no one will have me believe that a Carey Price with a chip on his shoulder (in light of today, it’s more like a brick or a boulder actually) would somehow be worse. They have goons ? Well let them chase us all night.

But our biggest weapon yet is not even our speed, our skill, our determination, our depth or our systems. No it’s actually their brain. They collectively lose their sh!t whenever they play Montreal. The Bruins are good hockey team who can goon their way out when they can’t outmatch their opposition skill wise. But with us, more often than not, they don’t even bother trying to play hockey first. They always want to goon up first, and forget that they are pretty good at hockey when they want to.

We might need to have Tinner and Murray on the back end to clean Carey’s crease, maybe dress Moen AND Prust from time to time, but we can get it done. We absolutely have to have the PP going though.

• 100HABS says:

What scares me about the Broons is the officiating.

That’s their biggest weapon.

• Timo says:

The series is going to be a nail biter. I know I will be wishing a lot of things that can’t be typed or pronounced out loud on a lot of people during the series.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Agree: if there’s a team in the east that can stop them, it’s us.

I just don’t think there’s a team in the east that can stop them, and I desperately want those dirty thugs stopped.

53. habsfan0 says:

The Hawks are champions for a very good reason.

Man, what a life… apparently Pacioretty who has been a new dad since around christmas, is yet to change a single diaper. I was on diaper duty the second my little on got home. Trophy wife, no diapers, piles of money… how do I get a gig like that?

55. Mr_MacDougall says:

There were so many Hawks fans in St Louis, it was beautiful to hear the ovation after the Toews goal without all the artificial arena noise. I wish the Molson’s were bigger visionaries and trusted the fans to become more of the show as opposed to artificial arena noise. Granted, I understand the value of a pregame spectical, but during the action the Habs faithful can handle the arena atmosphere. An throwback organist for tv timeouts and extended delays when linesman have to make ice repairs and glass replacement. How wonderful would it be to experience an important playoff goal ovation and electricity without buzzers, horns, spotlights, and songs?

Just my thoughts. Other arenas may need to create the environment, in Montreal that could be left to the fans.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

It’s uncanny how both Boudreau and Julien look like a blob fish.