Galchenyuk sets sights on Sochi with Team USA

Canadiens forward Alex Galchenyuk will still be a teenager when the 2013-14 NHL season opens, but the 19-year-old knows where he wants to be to celebrate his 20th birthday on Feb. 12.

That’s the same day the Olympic hockey tournament begins in Sochi, Russia.

“Of course, I’d really like to be in Sochi,” Galchenyuk told The Canadian Press this week from USA Hockey’s Olympic orientation camp in northern Virginia. “That would be the best, that’s obviously my first choice, but we’ll see.”

Team USA will play its first game in Sochi on Feb. 13 against Slovakia.

“Obviously there are a lot of talented guys here, but I think that I’m a skilled guy, I can make plays and I think that’s always a huge thing on the (larger international ice surface),” Galchenyuk told The Canadian Press about his chances of making Team USA. “Also I’m versatile and can play either wing or centre so that shouldn’t be an issue.”

Canadiens teammate Max Pacioretty was with Galchenyuk at the Team USA camp, which wrapped up Tuesday.

“It’s a short tournament in a different country, new teammates. It’s a lot of quick adjustments,” Pacioretty told The Canadian Press. “But (Galchenyuk’s) shown that he can deal with adversity at a young age and that should help him. Whether it be recovering from (a torn ACL in 2012) or whether it be overcoming a mid-season slump and being able to break out of it, that adversity is probably going to make him stronger moving forward in the future. It’s good to see that (USA Hockey) and the hockey world think so highly of him already.”

(Gazette file photo/John Kenney)

Galchenyuk wants to go to Sochi, montrealgazette.com

Nametags not needed at Team USA camp, USA Hockey

Team USA won’t be underdogs this time, SI.com

Denmark re-energizes Habs’ Eller, NHLPA.com

Team Canada players break Olympic camp with a plan, by Cam Cole of Postmedia News

Three Staal brothers on Team Canada? montrealgazette.com

1. dsangdhw says:

Hello, everybody, the good shoping place, the new season approaching, click in.
    ( w/w/w.sheptrade.c/o/m )
    (Discount Air jordan shoes) $36,
    (Air Max shoes) $35,
    (Nike shox shoes) $36,
    (Handbags) $39,
    (Sunglasses) $16,
    (wallet) $18,
    (Belt) $17,
    (T-shirts) $20,
    (Jeans) $37,
    (NFL/MLB/NBA)Jerseys $25,
    ( w/w/w.sheptrade.c/o/m )

2. hab fan in leaf jungle says:

Galchenyuk will win Gold at Sochi.

3. Bripro says:

I really haven’t had much to say on this site for a while.
    “Don’t worry Brian, neither have most of us….”
    Who said that? How wude, as my grandson would say.
    So, to pass the time until true hockey talk resumes, here’s another lyrical tribute to hockey (Thanks to my pal Jim Habfan 10912), my HIO pals and my favourite night of the week (which has already started elsewhere in the world) .

To the sounds of Men without Hats.

On Friday, a grandson with jeans torn
    On Friday, with hockey blogs all worn
    On Friday

Some Fridays, Habs have made me fly
    Much higher than before
    On Fridays, scotch made me cry
    And made me smile for more
    ‘Cause, buzz is something I adore
    On Fridays

Oh Fridays, you saved my life
    I was nothing but upset
    On Fridays, yet another high
    I was flying on the floor
    ‘Cause, life is something I adore
    On Friday

It was only make believe
    Then along came Friday
    Changed everything
    On Friday

On Friday, I wave goodbye
    I head out into town
    Oh Friday, you save my life
    This night will keep me warm

On Friday, cards make me cry
    Like a child being born
    On Friday, when we’re all high
    I’ll be losing even more
    ‘Cause, poker’s what I adore
    On Friday

Life was only make believe
    Then along came Friday
    Changed everything
    On Friday

On Friday
    On Friday
    On Friday

4. Maritime Ronn says:

How’s about some hockey talk?

In case anyone has forgotten about the new Division/Conference set-ups, here they are:

Each Division will send its Top 3 to the playoffs (6 in the Conference)…and the other 2 teams that will qualify will be decided by overall Conference standings to make a total of 8.

That means we could see only 3 teams from 1 Division, and 5 teams from the other Division.

While the ‘experts’ get a lot of it right, there are always major surprises.

Looking at just the Eastern Conference:

1) Which teams will qualify?
    2) Which teams will move into the playoffs that were not there last year, and which teams will drop out of the playoffs?
    Standings from last year:

3) Which team will be the biggest surprise?
    4) Which team will be the biggest disappointment?

5. sweetmad says:

It’s a sad day,when the HABS site, has to have the ten best goals by a rookie to fill space.It means the summer is too long.

I was going to write another poem, about waiting for the season to start, but Ian and Bipro inspired me.

If you look someone in the eye,
    And give them a smile as you pass by,
    If as you pass, you nod your head,
    Not a word has to be said.

A smile can do so many things,
    You never know what warmth it brings,
    It’s a little thing,that can mean so much,
    So often, just as much as a touch.

If that person passes it on,
    You know for sure it won’t be long,
    That maybe for a little while,
    Some one else will get that smile.

It cannot give you harm or hurt,
    It’s better than a nod thats curt,
    A smile can warm so many days,
    A smile can help in many ways.

So every time you see a frown,
    Or some one that looks really down,
    Look them in the eye,don’t turn away,
    A smile could help them through their day.

Over the years,I have written and read so many poems about smiles,and they always make me remember to smile more often,it can’t hurt you.
    GO HABS GO

6. frontenac1 says:

@jim. I’m not Youppi! I swear! Ok, I used to like to dress up as animals,but that was over ten years ago and a whole different story.

7. wjc says:

A poster said he would call his guy in China, regarding a sweater. He added don’t worry it is made in Canada.

So what is the guy in China doing.

I shall explain, the guy in China is sending over a sweater or many in a shipment. They come to Canada and are perhaps packaged here. They can then say ‘Product of Canada’ or something similar. They might just put the name on the back or a number. The point is it is manufactured in China, Asia etc. in a sweat shop for pennies and sold in North America at a huge mark up.

Have a good day Mr. Burlington.

wjc

• doc359 says:

It was a joke…..

• Maritime Ronn says:

@wjc.

Some friendly questions wjc:

Have you ever done business in China?
      Real business?

Have you been there?
      If so, how many times?
      Where?

Have you been in a factory and actually experienced the so called “Sweat Shop” working for pennies environment?
      If so, which factory?

Have you or your company ever imported from there?

Tell me about your political contacts….unless you believe that doing busines there is not necessary to have political contacts.
      ——
      A tiny Caveat – be careful with your answer.
      There just may be a few people on this site that have actual business experiences in China – that may have been there – that know how it works….

• Caesar says:

customs broker for over 20 yrs-this does not happen. Unless of course you were joking also– then we are all taking ourselves way too seriously. Again

8. frontenac1 says:

Agreed wjc! I take my alcohol very seriously, frequently and with alarming regularity.

9. frontenac1 says:

@fish out of water. Agreed amigo. All of that and Golf,Bass Fishing and Light and Lively Cocktails! Which reminds me, time for my Friday Board Meeting at the Saloon. Saludos!

10. wjc says:

Alcoholism is not a laughing matter. Berkshire fights with words and so should you.

wjc

NFL gets an agreement and bucks for head trauma retired players. The NHL is next!!

Here is another opportunity to post my article.!

What is a concussion?, as comprehended and explained by myself.

I have been involved as a lay person with research pertaining to neurology, first with veterinarian pathologists when I was doing research and autopsies on my fox and mink ranch involving calcium.
    I have been involved lately with the neurology research dept. from a major medical university here in Ontario. Only as the handler of my research birds involved in the study and offering some of my former findings from my own autopsy’s done on my ranch in N.B. So I do not profess to be an expert on the subject pertaining to concussion. But I will try to explain, the best that I can, what happens to the damaged brain cells that have been concussed inside the skull. And why one must stay completely resting after a concussion.

The very soft brain cells, when violently thrown against the skull, are damaged and the neuron releases a potassium chemical out of the brain cell. Leaving a void.
    Calcium that is already present around the outside of the cells, seeps into the cells replacing the potassium. This calcium is what gives the chemical imbalance to the brain and is what causes the patient to suffer in many ways, and causes the brain cells more damage.
    Until all of this calcium leaves the brain cells completely, and it can take a long time, depending on how much calcium was taken on each cell. The patient is left extremely vulnerable to death or at least permanent brain damage as the calcium solidifies upon second impact.
    Even a hard coughing spell or light exercise can cause severe pain and damage. Complete rest is needed until these damaged cells have been cleared completely of this calcium before one can resume activity to avoid more serious consequences including death.
    This is very acute in young people under the age of 24 as the brain is still growing and developing.
    Please, coaches and parents know this, every severe contact to the head can cause some cells to expel potassium and take on calcium. A second, even slight bump, while the cells still contain calcium, can kill brain cells.
    Ian Cobb

12. The Jackal says:

Thanks for all the fantasy responses guys.

Can’t wait for the season to begin. I’m not a summer-loving person, I like my fall and winter, but most of all, I love watching the games! It’s just my favourite time of the year!

Anyhow…. I was reading some stuff on Price and PK. At first I was more concerned about Price having a difficult time making the team, and I saw PK as a lock, but now I feel that Price may be in and PK is the one who will have to prove himself yet again. I really hope they both make the team and play big roles, that would be awesome.

Imagine if they made the team and we had Patches and Chucky on USA… USA vs. Canada would be a really good game!

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

13. mrhabby says:

Santa Claus..is he real.

14. frontenac1 says:

@24 Cups. Movies about drinking bore me because I know they’re just acting. Loved that show “Moonshiners” on last year because they were hammered for real. Saludos!

I am heading to the rink again today here. Belleville Bulls 2nd day of training camp. Nice to get back into the rink’s sounds and sights, and view the new prospects..

Belleville Bulls
    VIDEO: David Tomasek offers his first impressions on his new home in Belleville and some loyal Bulls fans provide their early season insights.

Training Camp 2013 – Day 2
    David Tomasek shares his first impressions on his new home in Belleville and a few loyal fans give their take on the early season developments.

• wjc says:

You should not support hockey at any level, it is a dangerous sport. If you want to eliminate head trauma you would have to eliminate all hitting.

The game at the junior and NHL level is a business and players play for large amounts of money eventually anyways. If you change the game the fans will turn off and with it the ‘cash machine’.

Lots of perfectly tranquil sports for you to follow might I suggest, lawn bowling, regular bowling, table tennis (however pong ball could take an eye out.), no contact ‘leap frog’, rowing (oars are hard and have been known to injure.

If you cannot stand the heat, avoid the kitchen. It is, what it is, and will have to be monitored by those participating and governing. The sticks are too hard, the pucks are too hard, the ice is too hard, the equipment is too hard, the skates are too sharp, the speed to fast, to many accidents. The fans are too noisy hard on your ears, the newpapers to nosey hard on the psyche. I could go on but I am tired.

wjc

• Phil C says:

“If you want to eliminate head trauma you would have to eliminate all hitting.”

Not true. There are a lot of hits every game that do not result in head trauma. You only need to eliminate the violent hits, the big collisions, make them against the rules, more like how hockey was played 40 years ago.

Don’t be so afraid of change WJC. Sticking your head in the sand is for pussies. Guys like Ian are helping to raise awareness rather than hand his game over to the thugs and knuckle-draggers.

• wjc says:

You don’t like pussies? tsk tsk. Guys like Ian want it both ways. It is a violent sport by its very nature. Sharp skates, fast big bodies flying around, hard ice, harder boards, very long hard sticks.

40 years ago the broad street bullies were teaching intimidation as a stradegy. If you shoot a puck a 100 miles an hour injuries are going to happen, players get sticks in the face all the time.

When you are told to finish your check and instinct takes over because it is an automatic response people are going to get hurt. If two 200 lb plus players drop the gloves and swing at each other someone could get hurt. When you are a fringe player and want the reward you do what you have to do.

Years ago guys got run out of the league if they failed the test. Have you ever heard of the greatest player ever ‘Gordie Howe’ nick named Mr. Elbows….where do you suppose those elbows were hitting.

You want a tough team, you want a big team, for what purpose to watch the ice follies.

wjc

• Phil C says:

You will always have accidental injuries, that we can agree on. If you look at the stats in the link Front provided about concussions, it says that accidents account for 26% of the concussions. So the other 74% can be addressed. That’s significant room for improvement.

• Psycho29 says:

@WJC

So maybe wear a helmet next time you play.

Perhaps your replies to people will be less condescending….

• wjc says:

How about getting rid of the word ‘condescending’ I am not talking down to you, I am speaking from the heart.

Maybe you need to be whole lot less sensitive and present your arguments.

Where a helmet next time I play? What does that even mean?

wjc

16. frontenac1 says:

@bripro. Have a great time with Corey and the Stanley Cup in Chateauguay this week end amigo!

• 24 Cups says:

Frontenac – have you seen the movie “Drinking Buddies” yet? It features Olivia Wilde.

• Bripro says:

Front.
      Lisa and I are going to a wedding in the Eastern Townships and won’t be around.
      I’m trying to schedule a brief visit. Corey’s supposed to be having supper at my sister’s on tuesday or wednesday.
      If not, I’m SOL this year.
      But thanks for the good wishes.

17. In response to a thread way down below about shootouts and fights, I’ve always felt that a shootout is a dumb way to resolve a hockey game, just as a (staged) fight is a dumb way to resolve a dispute. The difference is, repeated shootouts don’t wreck people’s brains, careers and personal lives.

There will always be a place in the game for a tough guy to step up from time to time — players are right to defend their cheap-shotted team-mates on the ice, just as you’d be right to defend a cheap-shotted buddy at a bar. But there’s a huge difference between that and the kind of staged nonsense that erupts when two heavyweights square off at the faceoff to show everyone why they belong in the league.

“Until we get an apology we’re not going to win a game. We vow not to win until we get an apology from Bettman.” -Sabre Dixon Ward

• wjc says:

I used to hate games that ended in a tie. What is wrong with settling the game with a winner. Every other sport avoids ties. Of course it is staged, just like the hockey game you watched that ended 2-2 or whatever. The whole damn show is staged.

So you send your best shooters out and they send there best shooters out and try to resolve the stupid thing. At least there is a beginning a middle and an end. Why not keep ties at playoff time as well.

wjc

18. PeterStone says:

If anyone is interested in picking up a minimum of 5 games, i am looking to sell some of my tickets. Great seats , section 110, Red Corners, right at the dot. Selling at Bell Center prices, which vary depending on the game. Reg or Optimum. If you are interested, check out the BC seating and pricing, and email me phmtl@hotmail.com. 5 min. no less.

• Ian Cobb says:

Oct 26th is our Summit game. I know more people wanted to go Peter. Be nice if you let people here know if it is available.

• PeterStone says:

Ian. I hope all is well with you and your family. I am not interested in selling 1 pair, would like to sell 15 actually. However if someone wants to buy at least 5, i will make sure the Sharks Oct 26th game is one of the 5. Be well !!

19. Chris says:

I generally only play rotisserie leagues, as I find head-to-head for hockey somewhat pointless. Depending on how the hockey pool scores things, my precedence list is usually goalie > defence > forwards.

On a lot of the pools, they end up giving points for shutouts, gaa leaders, wins, and save percentage leaders. That is four categories that your 1 or 2 goalies will be scoring in.

On offence, there are more categories (often the split is something like 10-5, forward-goalie), but you split those stats around 10-15 guys. So you can carry a bad forward, but if your goalie sucks, you are sunk.

Defencemen are usually more important, in my opinion, than forwards. The drop-off from the top forwards to the next tier is not nearly as drastic as the drop-off for defencemen.

At forward, I put a precedence on versatility in a league that restricts you to a certain number of games per position. Guys who can play multiple forward positions are more valuable, because they can fill in when somebody gets injured. Last year, guys like Claude Giroux (who was listed as a C/LW), Dustin Brown (LW/RW) and Jeff Carter (C/LW) are excellent players at their normal position, but the ability to move them around makes them elite.

That’s my two cents. I haven’t done fantasy sports in a long while (no time, and I found that was becoming more of a fan of players instead of teams), so take it with a grain of salt. And I have never bothered with a keeper league or salary cap league because I just don’t care enough to get that deep into something relatively meaningless.

20. frontenac1 says:

@Ian. Amen Amigo. Well said. Saludos!

SPECIAL REQUEST!
    To all people returning to school shortly.
    If you see someone who is struggling to make friends or being bullied because they do not have friends, they are shy, not great looking, or not dressed well.
    Please! stand up and step up to say hi, or at least smile at them in the hallway. You just never know what that person might be facing outside of school. Your kindness will give at least two people a better day! —Ian

• Bripro says:

Hi Ian, Thank you for that.
      IMO, that goes for anyone. We often pass people who are distracted or seem lost. We have a tendency to lose patience with them because 1. they’re slowing traffic 2. they’re not moving at the green light 3. they’re up next in line in front of you but aren’t moving fast enough.

We have no idea what problems or issues other people face. It’s good to show a little empathy once in a while.
      While a mile in another person’s shoes…..

Cheers! (well, not right now, but this afternoon…for sure)

Unrestricted free agent defenseman Tomas Kaberle is nearing a deal with Dinamo Minsk of Russia’s Kontinental Hockey League.

“It is simply a matter of opportunity for him. He is going to be a superstar talent, probably Montreal’s first superstar forward since Guy Lafleur. Great skater, scorer, playmaker – he is going to become what Vincent Lecavalier could have (and was, albeit for only two years).” (Jeff Angus)

24. @DadidolizedDougHarvey
    I joined a keeper’s league here in Brandon in 2010. I started with picking my team from the free agents that no one wanted. Needless to say I have been last or second last all three years. I have managed to build a team that I can work with and this season is my hardest draft (draft is in three weeks). I pick second, but I told myself that I am going with defense. But how can I pass on Drouin for Jones? I have watched Jones for a number of seasons here (WHL), and something about him erks me. Almost every game he’s played here he’s been a no show and then during the Memorial Cup he was less than impressive against strong checking teams. But then there is every scout in the league saying this guy is the next great defenseman.
    Anyway to answer your question I use the annual Hockey News (I subscribe). Every pick is in there with stats, and there are nice little team write ups with starting projections. It’s great for keeper’s league.

Forwards
    Berglund, Patrik
    Desharnais, David (releasing to FA)
    Ennis, Tyler
    Gagner, Sam
    Huberdeau, Jonathan
    Richards, Brad
    Conacher, Cory
    Michalek, Milan
    Pacioretty, Max
    Setoguchi, Devin
    Voracek, Jakub
    Vrbata, Radim (releasing to FA)

Defense
    Girardi, Dan
    Josi, Roman
    Nikitin, Nikita (releasing to FA)
    Postma, Paul (releasing to FA)
    Rozsival, Michal
    Seidenberg, Dennis

Bench
    Fleischmann, Tomas
    Girgensons, Zemgus
    Johansson, Marcus
    Letestu, Mark (releasing to FA)
    Chiasson, Alex
    Prust, Brandon
    Raymond, Mason (releasing to FA)
    Winnik, Daniel
    Yakupov, Nail
    (D)Maatta, Olli
    (D)Morrow, Joe
    (D)Redmond, Zach (releasing to FA)

Goalies
    Price, Carey
    Dubnyk, Devan
    Bernier, Jonathan
    Halak, Jaroslav

Been sitting on Bernier and Dubnyk since I joined. Traded Pleks for Halak at the trade deadline last year. I gave up a ton to get Price. It was a homer trade. I gave Mike Smith and Scheifele to get Price.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 00029.31

• bwoar says:

Take Drouin. Taking a D-man top 3 is such a risk that there has to be massive separation between that player and the best available forward.

“thoroughbred”

What does the NFL settlement on concussions mean to the NHL and the NHLPA? Jeff Blair of the Globe and Mail discusses.

• B says:

Does it mean that they should be more careful with head injuries? Perhaps Eller should sit out at least a season after that awful head shot he took only a couple of months ago? Perhaps he should be retired? Perhaps Gryba should be held financially responsible for his actions should Eller develop any worse symptoms down the road and need expensive treatment? How about Stevens having to pay Lindros some serious cash? So many questions…

–Go Habs Go!–

• wjc says:

Yes, but are they intelligent questions. Gryba was a hockey hit, Eller took the classic sucker pass and got clobbered. Thats a no no. Was Gryba not supposed to hit him in that situation.

Eller is fine. These players are all insurred and liability does not enter into it unless you club someone over the head with your stick or use your stick for a weapon. The shoulder has been part of the rules since hockey was invented. If you want non checking hockey, start your own league and see how much attention you get.

wjc

• B says:

Gryba was suspended, clearly he was not supposed to target the head like he did. It was not a hockey play and he was punished (albeit mildly) for it.

Apparently many (all?) of the plaintiffs in the NFL suit were “fine” after seeming to have recovered from their injuries. The NFL did not club anyone over the head or even physically contact any of the plaintiffs for that matter, yet they had to settle for paying over three quarters of a billion dollars to cover treatments and damages. It’s not quite so black and white as you seem to think.

Many people believe that most of the lingering damage to the head results from avoidable types of contact and contact which is no longer (or never was) permitted under the rules of the game. If the league makes clear what type of contact is not permitted, but some players insist on doing it anyway, should the league then be culpable for any resulting brain damage? Perhaps if the offending players faced the possibility of some financial responsibility down the road for the treatment and damage of lingering head injuries due in whole or in part to illegal head targeting, then maybe they would finally stop doing it so frequently? I don’t know if that sort of a thing would be feasible or practical, I am just thinking out loud, but clearly the status quo is not good enough. It will be interesting to see if or how things evolve.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Phil C says:

Thanks for the link, although I was disappointed in the article. It had a great hook in the opening line about how this settlement means longer odds for NHL players to do the same, then they never explain why.

26. Habfan10912 says:

I dedicated this link to my friend, Lafleurguy.
    I’m sure the Cal version will be even better.

Edit 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmv3WlKa6U8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Edit 2: Burly, you can fill the other two in.

27. Lafleurguy says:

I see that some of the late-night guys aren’t too enameled with high dental costs.

“Where’s the Beef?/What’s the Beef?”

28. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning all! Question. Does anyone know where I can get a Jean Pusie jersey?

29. JohnBellyful says:

Here are some of the headlines you’ll be seeing after training camp starts:

Budaj ‘a revelation’, says new goalie coach
    ‘Lard’ Eller insists extra weight all muscle
    Parros determined to prove one-goal season ‘was no fluke’
    Desharnais-Gionta scuffle ‘typical training camp tussle’: Therrien
    Moen refuses to talk to ‘meanstream media’
    Plekanec smooth-shaven, turtleneckless ‘just because’
    Team celebrates birth of civilization in Mesopotamia
    Danielle Briere says he’s ‘a changed man’
    Bergevin prank backfires, coaching staff treated for second-degree burns
    Desharnais-Diaz dust-up ‘boys being boys’: coach
    Gazette sports editor fired over Briere headline
    Cut from team, White, Leblanc file lawsuit, claim no-colour barrier
    Revolutionary Murray water bottle hydrates linemates simultaneously
    Snap federal election has players reeling
    Happily married, Gorges says he’ll no longer sacrifice body blocking shots
    No. 2 on Canadiens, Price still has eye set on starter’s role for Olympic squad
    Péladeau says Bettman hostage-taking ‘all a misunderstanding’
    Galchenyuk spells name ‘for last time’ for reporters
    Markov trips over Gallagher, out for season
    Canadiens drop plans for mock fan uprising on 60th anniversary of Richard Riot
    ‘I slipped!’ says Parros after KO by DD
    Pacioretty regrets tattooing entire body
    Hab crest to flash bright red when player scores
    Canadiens issue statement extra-terrestial life ‘highly probable’
    HIO vs EOTP – WTF?
    Bourque, Bouillon weren’t born in La Belle Province – go figure
    Baffled coach asks: ‘Drewiske Doeswhatske?’
    More photos of Prust’s girlfriend
    Houle, Tremblay finally admitted into Hall – but forced to pay double
    Club adamant Oswald didn’t act alone
    Stung by criticism,Therrien abandons ‘swarm’ defence, opts for ‘charm offensive’
    Players reveal their favourite FILMs® ***

***Fan I’d Like to Meet

Anybody here got a strong throwing arm? It appears the Matt Leinart experiment in Buffalo didn’t go so well last night.

• Lafleurguy says:

Mornin’ Burly Neighbor….remember Michael Bishop with his cannon arm, but the inability to ever reach 50% in completions. You probably remember Dieter Brock whose arm was comparable to Brett Favre’s. Poor Dieter, who was called by his first name Ralph by the press for a couple of years before he finally spoke up. Meanwhile no one was better as a weak-armed QB than a legend in my first hometown (Edmonton), chaw-chewin’ Tom Wilkinson, who convinced rules-makers that a shovel pass was a legit pass.

“Where’s the Beef?/What’s the Beef?”

Remember Dieter well, and his infamous line about the only thing good to do in Wpg in the summer was the Zoo, because it was free. That was during the seasons when he wanted out of his contract so he could play in the NFL. I seem to recall Dieter used to win the teams arm wrestling competitions most years as well.

• 123456 says:

so glad I did not watch that “game”. it is not easy being a bills fan.

31. DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

What are the best magazines/websites to visit for a slumping hockeypooler?

32. Mavid says:

just a mere 16 days to go!, and after today I am on vacation for 3 glorious weeks…yip skippidy dooooo

Weed Wacker Gramda Smurf

33. Habitant in Surrey says:

…here in Vancouver, on TSN 2, 2009 WJHC Canada vs USA

…Tokarski in goal, Subby on D, For the Good Guys …Palushaj for the Bad ‘uns

…great hockey game for those suffering the sweats of hockey deprivation

• savethepuck says:

Also on that team were;
      John Tavares, Alex Petrangelo, Cody Hodgson, Ryan Ellis ( where is he? He was touted as the next great offensive DMan ), Tyler Myers, Jamie Benn, Patrice Cormier ( who wore the C, still not an NHL regular, which makes me think the debates about who should be captain of the Habs or Team Canada on here are futile ), Jordan Eberle, Tyler Ennis, Angelo Esposito ( I think has been derailed by injuries unfortunately ), and Evander Kane.
      I will add that at that time, Subban, Petrangelo, Myers, Ellis, was an incredible top 4 D.
      A lot of NHLers came out of this group, but that is not always the case.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

34. Denjen says:

Hey all! Want to put in my 2 bits as far as point projections for Galchenyuk and Gallagher. Most figure they ll both be in the 50 pt range, which is reasonable and a safe projection but I feel they both would have reached that plateau in a full season last yr as they matured. Galchenyuk was really starting to takeoff in the last 8 games of the season and gallagher was consistent all year. I think with more minutes and some pp time both these guys can be 60+! Especially Galchenyuk who has more vision. That’s my thoughts on projection anyways. In a cap pool both those kids will probably be cheap and it would be a good mid pick with a good returns on investment for the price!

• savethepuck says:

I agree with your assessment of Galchenyuk. I expect him to have a significant increase in TOI and PP time this year. He’s a year older, and MT will probably shelter him less. I also have faith that Gallagher will continue to improve, the kid has a lot of heart.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

35. JTT says:

Moen is on the 4th line for a reason – if your not a scorer – play tough or move on – we’re not gonna win a cup with players that’s there for the pay check …

• savethepuck says:

The guy had 1 bad 1/2 season. He suffered a season ending concussion in February of the 2011-12 season. Because of the lockout, he went almost an entire calendar year without playing a single hockey game. One year ago everybody was adamant about how much Rene Bourque sucked, but he changed people’s minds the way he played in the 2013 season. I am willing to give Moen a pass but I’ll be watching him closely to see what he does this season.
      BTW, I think his Cap hit is 1.85 million, which is not really hindering our CAP that much in today’s NHL.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• JTT says:

savethepuck – my point was – the 4th line is usually where they put the tough guy’s/fighters the grinders to change the momentum of a game at times so if moen is not gonna play tough or fight no matter what his cap is – he’s a waste of a player …

we’ll see this year.

In case anyone is wondering I am a proud owner of 2 new crowns and my bank account is $3500 poorer. FML.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Hey Timo, when’s that Google Docs doohickey going to be ready so we can map out our seat chart at the Summit game?

Enter me as sitting at Section 304, Row FF, Seat 2.

• Sportfan says:

HOLY MAN WHY is that so much….?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• AH says:

Hey Timo, for what it’s worth, although the work is done now, if you need any future expensive dental work, I have a client at work who needed a bunch of expensive stuff done and she went down to Mexico and got it done for WAY cheaper. She swears by it. She’s done it a few times, and of course with it being Mexico, she makes a holiday of it at the same time.

• BJ says:

Why don’t you take a trip to Hungary and get it done there? You will save money and see some of Europe. Even with the cost of hotels and flights. Its called dental tourism. The ladies are also quite pretty which alleviates excessive focus on the dental work.

• Chris says:

I know the feeling. That is somewhat cheap for that stuff.

I had two root canals (both of which required a specialist because of how far into my sinus cavity the roots of the teeth penetrated) and both teeth ended up breaking while I was waiting to get the crown prep (temp fillings suck). That meant two crown lengthening surgeries, and then finally the two crowns.

Total cost > $8,000.

Because so many people are on dental plans through work, they have no idea how much these procedures really cost. I suspect if everybody had to pay for it out of pocket, prices wouldn’t be so stupid but that is a different rant.

• Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

No guff? Got two myself yesterday for $1200 less than yours. Actually, I have a dental plan through work so am out-of-pocket only $350 or so. Either your guy’s shyster or mine’s a doof for leaving so much money on the table.

• JTT says:

Timo – If you spent that much money – you should be a King.

37. Un Canadien errant says:

The argument that ‘nobody sits or leaves to get a beer during a hockey fight’ as a reason to keep tolerating them is a red herring. The same goes for shootouts, I’ve been at a lot of Canucks games where the fans around me leave late in the third when there’s a big lead, but stay when it’s close and cheer and hope for a shootout. For some reason, the fact that fans love the shootout isn’t enough to convince the dinosaurs that the shootout has some value, but it does when it comes to fighting.

As far the average decent good person still watching and being entertained by a fight, that’s a normal response. Fighting is high theater, it’s something that doesn’t happen often in our life, and we’re fascinated by it. That’s why movies are mostly about adventure and violence and guns, and not about me waking up in the morning, having breakfast, then getting down to business, sending out emails, returning phone calls and driving around, whacking moles.

In one of my jobs I work as an emergency responder, and at every motor vehicle collision, drivers slow down to have a look. They gawk because it’s spectacular and not something they’ve seen a lot of before, they’re curious. Same at a structure fire, all the neighbours come out and watch the action, it’s something out of the ordinary, enough to make them pause their “Survivor” and come out. These aren’t bad people, they’re just regular people presented with something extraordinary and being interested by it. They don’t mean by it that they’re happy someone’s house is burning down and a family will now be homeless. They’re not cheering the fact that the driver of the vehicle is being airlifted to the emergency room. When they get a chance, they unfailingly ask if everyone was okay, that nobody got hurt.

Same with hockey fights. I watch them when they’re on, I get pumped, but with a growing awareness that I shouldn’t and that the they’re not good for anyone. If I held the magic wand, there wouldn’t be fighting in the NHL or any level of hockey, and the majority of good Canadians who also watch and cheer when they’re on would also do away with them if they could.

———————————————————————–
    … you know, because there’s no way hundreds of overcompetitive stars with massive egos would ever cheat to gain an edge with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake..–Bill Simmons

• Cal says:

Despite some liking the shootout, it remains a very stupid way of resolving a TEAM game.
      MY suggestion for getting rid of it is rather simple: 4 on 4 until someone scores and ZERO points for the losing team. That’ll give them actual incentive to win the thing instead of playing for a tie. 3rd periods will be a lot better and more fun to watch.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Exactly. We are pretty well hoping that our guy doesn’t get beaten to a pulp and certainly on edge about it. It doesn’t mean that we appreciate the spectacle. Same with the shootout. There is drama involved, but many of us would gladly forego it. Think moth to flames.

38. frontenac1 says:

Chargers,Frontenacs, I hear ya amigo.”As a dog returns to his vomit, a fool returns to his folly” Go Chargers! Go Fronts!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Speaking of vomit, the Boys in Blue are not very appetizing right now. I know they’re all subs and guys scratching and clawing to make the roster, but so are the guys across the line, and they’re kind of overwhelming us right now.

39. frontenac1 says:

Biggest reasons for concussions in the NHL? Here”s the scoop amigos.

• savethepuck says:

I know from your posts that you enjoy a good tilt between 2 heavyweights. To be truthful, I enjoy it too as long as it’s not staged, because I think those are stupid. I think the point is that even this study from the spring of 2011 said that only 8% of concussions were a result of fighting. My point is, why not get rid of that 8%? Anything to reduce head injuries helps. I played midget, high school, and junior in the 80′s as a goaltender, so I didn’t fight. My best friend was my big crease clearing DMan who grabbed someone and beat the crap out of them when they ran me or got in my space. I loved it, and would buy him a beer, but things are different now due to medical awareness. Guys being knocked out and falling to the ice defenselessly and hitting their head again are causing serious head trauma. We have gotten rid of the Scott Stevens’ hits that were ruining careers and everyone seems OK with that now. The next logical step is to get rid of the fighting that is causing head traumas. I too think the major cause of head injuries is the shoulder and elbow pads being used, and that is priority #1, but everything that can be done, should be done.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Sportfan says:

Giant elbow pads and shoulder pads don’t help either!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Even if I could be brainwashed into believing any foul ejecta emanating from Gary Bettman’s lie-hole, and believed the following quote,

Another 17 percent of the concussions were the result of either illegal hits to the head or illegal body checks. Also, eight percent of the concussions were caused by fighting.

why would I not be brought to ask why don’t they move right away to eliminate those incidents which cause 25% of concussions, immediately, in one fell swoop?

• Phil C says:

If 44% of the concussions are caused by “legal” hits, why are they legal? Why would anyone want to play a sport where it is legal to concuss your opponent? Why would any sane parent let their kids play such a sport?

I’ve played both contact and non-contact hockey and it is still a pretty good game with no hitting at all. Surely if they removed the big collisons, it would still be a pretty good contact sport.

I heard Pat Veerbeek on the radio yesterday say that when he was a kid, they did not teach the big collison, for example, you would just angle the guy into the boards to separate him from the puck. So what Bettman and his clown-show are defending is not really hockey’s heritage, it’s the negative turn the game has taken in the rock’em sock’em era. The NHL have been lousy custodians of the sport to allow the game to evolve to this point.

• savethepuck says:

I think they r saying that the 44% of hits that are not illegal that result in concussions are accidental, which makes sense in a contact sport played at the speed that professional hockey is. I grew up in a time that you wanted to take a guys head off because all you were doing was “ringing his bell a little”. How times have changed.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• Phil C says:

I understand it from the article that 44% are from clean hits, and another 26% are accidental contact. I agree it would be almost impossible to get the 26% of the accidental concussions out of the game, but the other 74% could be eliminated if the will was there.

Yeah, we were ignorant about concussions a few years ago, that’s for sure.

• Chris says:

The number from the independent medical experts assessing concussions is far higher than the 8% Bettman reports. Nobody in the traumatic brain injury field finds Bettman even remotely credible on that front. He has a conflict of interest on the fighting file because of legal responsibility.

40. sweetmad says:

Being English and never seeing hockey,until 10 years ago,I still find it astonishing that they allow fighting in hockey.I am a total pacifist,and I hate the fighting,but I love the speed and the skill.

It’s one thing if a guy chooses to fight,for a purse of millions of dollers,but to fight for entertainment to me is just awful.

There are kids all around the world forced to fight and kill their own familys,how can an parent allow their kids to fight.

I took my babies on CND,marches in the sixties,the first words my son said were ” ban the bomb”.I listened to Archbishop Tutu talk in London.

We need to stop any kind of fighting and learn how to hold back the tides,before half our arenas are under water for good.

It seems to me half the world is trying to cause annihilation,the other half is trying to save it.

Stop fighting about or for anything,there are examples of how you can change the world peacefully,Ghandi,Mandela,Martin Luther King,Mother Theresa and many others why can’t we all follow their example,we might have a world for our children and our grandchildren.

• BermyHab says:

I wouldn’t say I’m for or against fighting in hockey, I think of it as a business first and will only put out a product the market will bare.

It’s great that your children and grandchildren were raised with your values but……

Saying “We need to stop any kind of fighting and learn how to hold back the tides,before half our arenas are under water for good” is a little much.

How can you say you are ok with fighting for a purse of millions of dollars (99% of prize fights are for substantially less) and then continue to say to fighting for entertainment is awful?
      Is the purse not funded from those same entertainment dollars?

Just because a hockey player/goon’s “purse” is paid out in installments over a season doesn’t make him any less entertaining. He is still earning his living.

As far as I’m concerned let them ply the trade they are hired for, whether it be goals, assists or fights.

If they removed fighting from hockey tomorrow I would be fine with it, as long as it was the desire of the majority of the fans and not just to appease those who scream loudest.

Just sayn

41. The Jackal says:

On the subject of fantasy leagues (NFL and NHL) are there any general drafting strategies, such as, what kind of players to pick in what round?

It may be OT but the season has yet to begin and I know a few people on this board like NFL football and well we all know this is a hockey board with resident hockey intellectuals :D

And we don’t lose anything by giving fantasy advice on here since we are not (likely) in the same pool/league.

I was thinking I am going to try to pick PK as soon as possible, and for forwards Giroux would be a good under the radar pick – since people will be gunning for Crosby and Ovechkin – then for sure Price, but I was wondering when to take a goalie as well as which other goalie would be a good sleeper pick…

As for the football… I don’t know much but I think I will take Adrian Peterson with my first pick, and then gun for an elite QB… but other than that I have no idea who to pick or when to pick them.

Feel free to jump in or ignore this :P

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

RGIII if healthy and Michael Vick when healthy are two QB’s who provide huge fantasy points.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Jackal, there are tonnes of resources out there that give Fantasy Football advice. ESPN, Grantland, CBS.com, and Sports Illustrated are the ones I rely on.

The best advice is to do a lot of mock drafts, to get a feel for how they run. You’ll get a sense of how it generally unfolds, but be aware that a lot of participants are ‘experimenting’, taking players they otherwise wouldn’t just to test things out. So don’t be surprised if your real draft goes a little bit different than your mocks.

I don’t really have any tips this year, I’m sadly unprepared for my drafts, haven’t really done any reading or mocks yet. The putrid season I expect from the Chargers has robbed me of a lot of the enthusiasm for the NFL I used to have, along with the lockout, the referees lockout and the Fail Mary, the concussion issue…

• Sportfan says:

NHL I have nothing, still trying to figure out that one.

BUT NFL wise I did two fantasy teams on NFL.com and I found that everyone drafts RBs first, or at least the best one available. There are so manyt decent QBs out there and only a handful of really good RBs and top WR. So keep an eye out for that if you have a chance to draft Lynch do it lol.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

Fighting is an interesting topic as it pertains to hockey, and I think specifically to many Canadian hockey fans. I am not in the least pro fighting in hockey, but I have to admit that when a “natural fight” breaks out in a hockey game, and the player who wins is from my team (habs) I find myself cheering. I am a hypocrite when it comes to this topic, I must admit. I think the game can be played at the highest level without fighting permitted, BUT, we have grown up watching this element permitted in the game. As a result we have this innate (or at least I do) thought process, that fighting in hockey is permissable.

It makes no sense that fighting is permissable, the only two team sports i can think of that permit fighting, surprisingly are Canadian sports, Lacrosse and Hockey. Yet somehow sports like Rugby and Football do not permit or tolerate it.

It is called tradition or accepted as part of the game, yet really why is it part of the game? Again, I admit my hypocrisy, and perhaps part of this feeling is because the league refuses to enforce its own rulebook, therefore I feel our team needs to follow the adage of “Can’t beat ‘em, Join ‘em”.

I would be fine with the complete removal, but I also know this league shows no inkling to do so….. So I guess i spend the year cheering for Prust, Parros and Moen…. sad i think. But being honest.

FYI, those looking for Frank, I think he is out west with Timo in Calgary this week on business.

• Bill H says:

Yes, it is sad…thinking Moen is going to fight. Don’t hold your breath. ;-)

But aside from that, not a bad post. I don’t think what you say is hypocritical. Wishing for hockey at the highest level, and also cheering for your team in the NHL, where hockey is far from the highest level…that’s not hypocritical.

Your comment on Moen is probably correct, and sadly I think it has little to do with his contract and everything to do with the concussion or concussions which he has suffered. At the end of the previous season he missed a significant number of games due to a concussion. It is understandable why he is not eager to engage in such activities as he used to.

• savethepuck says:

A lot of complaints about Moen’s play last season on here, and I think your assessment is probably correct. I will also add that, due to the season ending head injury and the lockout, he went almost a full calender year without playing a hockey game.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
          Carey Price

• savethepuck says:

I have the same views. A lot of people who think that the fans who are against fighting don’t like watching hockey fights. That is not the case. I am against fighting because of recent medical evidence showing how it is affecting players lives after hockey. I think that someone’s long term health is more important than a few minutes of my enjoyment watching it. Too many careers are being cut short due to head trauma.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Timo says:

I don’t think he is… because if he was I would be having an invitation in my mail box for few free rounds of beer and chicken wings. I don’t have such invitation, hence Frank is not in Calgary.

43. Chris says:

Got to say I’m surprised that Gallagher has 27% support in the current poll, as I thought that one was as close to a slam dunk in Galchenyuk’s favour as you could possibly get.

• savethepuck says:

There was a poll mid season, if I remember correctly, who is the better rookie, Galchenyuk or Gallagher? The votes favored Gallagher but I voted Galchenyuk. I assume Gallagher won the poll because he was getting more points and had earned more minutes, was promoted to a line with DD and MaxP, and was getting more PP time. I took into consideration that Galchenyuk had just been drafted and he is 21 months younger, so obviously voted Galchenyuk. It seems a lot of people don’t take into consideration a players age and where the other player was at the same year of development when comparing 2 young players. I think it is extremely important, and there is no way I can imagine in 2 or 3 years this same question being asked.
      With that said, I am a huge fan of Gallagher and i’m glad he is a Hab. He will be an important player in this organization going forward. But he is not Galchenyuk.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Stevie.Ray says:

I voted Gallagher because nothing will break that kids stride. Nothing! Galchenyuk – he’s still young. Most of his points were lucky bounces (or unlucky) but he was in the right place and was able to get a lot of dirty goals and assists. He will be a sniper in the future but I wouldn’t be surprised if he had a slight sophomore slump.

• savethepuck says:

But do you think that in 2 or 3 years Gallagher will be better than Galchenyuk? I don’t think so.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
          Carey Price

• christophor says:

The opposite is true: virtually all of Galchenyuk’s assists were first assists.

• Chris says:

Gallagher is far more likely to suffer a slump than Galchenyuk. The big issue Gallagher faces is his defensive skills…he is hands down the worst defensive forward on the team (subtracting Parros, who I still hope doesn’t play).

The team played a run-and-gun style last season, and it largely worked. They’re not going to catch teams unaware this year, and players that don’t protect the puck and defend are going to see their ice time cut.

I’m hoping Gallagher improves. I love the kid, and I have no bias against smaller players as you can tell from my favourite player list (Naslund, Lebeau, Koivu…hell, I loved Petrov too).

But I would be stunned if he replicates his scoring pace from last season.

44. Mark C says:

de la Rose with a goal and Hudon with two helpers in today’s preseason action.

45. Chris says:

Other things that a majority of the players didn’t want:

1. Helmets (despite the on-ice death of Bill Masterton)

2. Visors (despite serious eye injuries suffered by players such as Mattias Ohlund, Steve Yzerman, Eric Lindros, and Marc Staal, all of whom were hit in the eye area by deflected shots)

3. Fighting (despite tons of research that a significant percentage, ranging from 20-50% depending on the study and the level of hockey, of concussions can be traced to fighting. Fighting is particularly vile at the junior level.

Consider this quote from an article by Fluto Shinzawa in the Boston Globe:

According to Dr. Robert Cantu, the co-director of Boston University’s Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy, younger brains are not as myelinated, meaning they have less insulation than brains of adults. Also, boys’ necks are weaker than those of adults. Their heads are disproportionately large for their bodies.

“That sets up a younger person to have injuries to the brain that are greater than those sustained at a later age from the same force,’’ Cantu said. “It takes more force later on to produce the same injury.

“It’s important not to have a head injury at any age. It’s particularly important not to have it at a young age. Fighting is certainly to be discouraged, especially at young ages, for those reasons.’’

When helmets came in, we were assured that the game would change, that it would become worse. It didn’t.

When visors started to become popularised, particularly among the skill players, we were all warned that the game would turn into stick-swinging brawls as the players all felt like supermen behind their face shields. There really hasn’t been any increased incidence of stick-swinging…there are a few cases per decade, just as there always has been.

Now we hear that fighting would lead to guys running around out there. Just like the visors and helmets, banning fights would have no appreciable negative effect on the game.

But it just may save somebody’s life later. That we’re even debating whether the ridiculous entertainment value of watching guys bear hug each other or throw haymakers for 30 seconds is worth more than a human life is a pretty sad indictment of the sport and its fans.

46. frontenac1 says:

@uce. Looks like they’re showing the Niners vs Chargers at 10:30 eastern tonight on A free feed on NFL network . Go Chargers!

47. JTT says:

Murray may not do much on the score board. But I don’t think he’ll get pushed around and he’ll stick up for the Guys who’s on the ice with him. That’s good enough for me after seeing what happened to us in a couple of regular games last year …

48. habsgod says:

I was wondering if any of my fellow habs fans on here buy the sportsforecaster hockey edition(the montreal canadiens )cover edition?…if so i was wondering if anybody would be willing to help me out? i used to order it through xml team glenn gingerich was my friend there and i used to email him every fall when it would come out and i’d send him the money for 2 copies plus shipping plus extra for doing this for me,however this year he no longer works there so i can’t get the canadiens cover edition here in regina! so i was wondering if somebody here would want to do that for me and i’ll do the same as i did for glenn at xml team if you do i’ll give you all of my info mailing address etc and i’ll send you the money for it ,plus shipping plus extra for doing this for me

• habstrinifan says:

Hope someone helps.

Unfortunately I am not in Montreal to help with this, best I could do is get you a version with Dion Phaneuf on the cover :) Perhaps Stu or someone from HI/O can help you out.

What is Glenn Gingerich doing these days, I used to hear him on the radio here in T.O. all the time and now that you mention it, i am not sure I have heard him in quite some time.

CHeers and good luck.

• habsgod says:

i’m not sure what glenn is up to these days like i said i used to email him all the time and would phone him and talk to him,but since he left i haven’t heard from him i wish i did he’s a great,great guy1 and thanks so very much for your offer to help eventhough the cover edition has phanuef on it! lol i hate the leafs with a passion and would hate that cover edition,which btw you can get out here ..id by the eberle cover before i’d by a leafs one but i truely want the habs edition!

49. ProHabs says:

Is Sylvain Lefevre a good coach in Hamilton or is he going to ruin all of our prospects. Damn

• Habfan10912 says:

Haven’t heard a lot of criticism of him. Did I miss something?

• Mark C says:

Did any of the guys called up last year in any way looked ruined?

• ProHabs says:

The guys called up were mostly Defenceman. It appears as though he is ruining the offensive prospects. Leblanc, Bournival. What a shame.

• Mattyleg says:

How exactly is he going ahead with this nefarious scheme?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Ron says:

Its a ruse Matty

• Hobie Hansen says:

Leblanc was injured and never recovered his game. Lefevre’s fault, I don’t think so?

And Bournival, it was his 1st pro year, during a lockout where the talent pool was better than average in the AHL. He looks in tremendous shape now and you can’t start judging him until this season IMO.

• Mark C says:

Leblanc was hurt and Bournival was a 20 yrd rookie, in a lockout year, playing on a young team without much veteran help. All things considered his stats were fine given the type of player he is.

• kbhab4ever says:

Not sold on the bulldogs coaches, Leblanc was used on the 4th line a lot last year ?? Overused goons, seemed like the coaches had no idea about offense, No forwards from AHL last year got a sniff. They hired a new coach to help the kids up front, Bulldogs should of hired a experienced coach. It seemed like lets get a def coach rt away we will worry about offense later

• Hobie Hansen says:

Dumont was the best Bulldogs forward and he earned his way to a handful of NHL games with Montreal.

31pts in 55g in Hamilton. 83pim to boot! Dumont should probably be centering the 4th line in MTL this year instead of White.

• Mark C says:

Other than Dumont, who did get a sniff, and LL, who was hurt, all other forwards of note were 20 year old rookies who shouldn’t have been getting a sniff. Other than some kid called Gally…

• showey47 says:

he did an awful job with gallagher ,fire the bum. Do it now!!!!!

• Un Canadien errant says:

It was a difficult year for the Bulldogs and their coach last season according to most observers, and I expected a veteran assistant to be hired to support Mr. Lefebvre. Instead, they hired Stéphan Lebeau, who has some coaching experience but not much.

I have to believe that Marc Bergevin and his team are confident that a lot of the burrs will get worked out in the second season, with more experience all around, and that they can provide the support he needs in-house, be it through Rick Dudley or Martin Lapointe or however.

• wjc says:

Isn’t playing in the NHL as good as coaching experience. Then you start out at a lower league. What would you miss if you played in the NHL under a series of coaches.

wjc

• Chris says:

Stephan Lebeau was a guy I’ve actually had my eye on as an outside-the-box hire for an NHL team. I think he will be a very good addition to the franchise.

The other one is Claude Lapointe. I would absolutely love to see the Habs get him involved with the team, even as a player development consultant.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Good to hear. I thought we’d get a grizzled vet to replace Ron Wilson, to help Sylvain Lefebvre as he learns the ropes of head coaching, which is why I was mildly surprised at Mr. Lebeau’s hire, he has a more meager résumé than I expected. But as we saw with my expectations, as at the draft for example, they’re the ones that lead me astray sometimes.

• Chris says:

There was a nice article on Lebeau on the NHL site back in 2011. I like his philosophy, and I like that he tries little things to change the drills. Anything that adds decision making into the drills should be applauded…too much of hockey practice is routine.

You make it to the NHL and you thrive in the NHL because of decision making and the speed at which you can make those decisions. There are tons of guys out there with NHL skills, but they can’t translate it to games.

As an offensive player on a staff with two defencemen (Lefebvre, Dufresne), I think Lebeau will be a big help for some of the offensive guys on the team. As a guy who overcame his size by being very intelligent on the ice, I think he can be a good mentor for players like Leblanc, Dumont, Bournival and Collberg moving forwards.

But Lapointe really intrigues me, as he seems to thrive on getting results out of kids that other coaches don’t see much in. Maybe it doesn’t translate to the AHL or NHL level, but I’d sure give him a look. It isn’t like there are outstanding French-speaking coaching candidates out there to replace Therrien, so why not start grooming some new ones?

• Un Canadien errant says:

Thanks for that Chris. I searched the nhl.com site and found the article on Mr. Lebeau you mentioned, written by Arpon Basu.

Link below is the article announcing his hire by the Bulldogs.

Generally, I agree that we should be giving our local boys tonnes of opportunity in the organization, and I think that should extend to Wheeling. Let’s have LHJMQ coaches get their feet wet in the ECHL and work their way up. Nothing wrong with stocking the pond with lots of potential candidates for down the road.

• punkster says:

Relax…this is the same poster who suggested that because Price didn’t invite more team mates to the wedding that there was trouble in the room.

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…