RFA White signs; Galchenyuk headlines development camp

Ryan White

Classic Ryan White. He’s back for another year with the Canadiens.
François Lacasse, NHLI via Getty Images

SIGNING: Canadiens restricted free-agent forward Ryan White has signed a one-year, one-way contract with the Canadiens, valued at $687,500.

All seven players selected by the Canadiens in last weekend’s entry draft in Pittsburgh, headed by No. 3 overall Alex Galchenyuk of the Sarnia Sting, will be among the 14 players taking part in the team’s development camp this Thursday through Saturday at the Bell Sports Complex in Brossard.

Here’s all you need to know.

SCHEDULE CLARIFICATION: On-ice sessions at the Brossard rink are open to the public:

• Thursday: 4 to 6 pm
• Friday: 10:30 am to 12 noon; 4:30 to 6 pm
• Saturday: 10:30 am to 12 noon; 4:30 to 5:30 pm.

1. That's-Hockey says:

I don’t imagine MB or his staff signs into this sight – the things they would read. Oh boy.

2. Habs1996 says:

aj
    im on the iphone and i cant reply.
    i dont know if you reply to my comment but here:
    PK for penalty killing
    not PK subban

3. PrashadHabs says:

Is it true that Habs have until Friday to buy out Gomez?

4. Habs1996 says:

Why trade our PK leader and a player who can shut down other teams top line and score in the same time?
    I wont disagree if you want to trade him but lets wait and build some value into him first .

5. krob1000 says:

I would prefer A Kostitsyn to Parenteau..one will make too mucha nd the other will get lowballed because of a stupid decision to hang out with radulov for a night

6. Rad says:

I have zero interest in acquiring border-line players like Parenteau. I would rather give that ice time to our young hopefuls like LeBlanc, Gallagher, Quailer, or even Natinen. I would sign Souray, trade Yanick Weber for Theo Peckham, and Plekanec for Evander Kane.

• chelseafan says:

I love the Pleks for Kane idea. I think Galchenyuk may be ready for next year. Or with Gomez”s $$ we get a nice center. Also, Emelin should be paired with Markov and Gorges with PK.Thnx for the tip;)

• ABHabsfan says:

I would rather sign Garrison than Souray. He’s about 20 years younger and can shoot just as hard.

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

7. novahab says:

It’s a sad day in hockey by allowing Sundin in the hall of fame. Not only has this guy not win a cup,he never lead his team to a final. Where is the outrage from the media, Ops I forgot it’s all owned from Toronto. The biggest choker in hockey gets a free pass. The Hall of fame now has a rotten smell to it.

• commandant says:

Yeah, it was a real shame when they let Marcel Dionne in too.

Also like I just heard on TSN, this is the HOCKEY hall of fame, not the NHL hall of fame…. so he does have a major championship, the 2006 Olympic Gold Medal.

Visit our NHL Prospect HQ – Team By Team reports coming soon

• habs-fan-84 says:

get a grip, your hatred towards Toronto has blinded you and your objectivity.

• krob1000 says:

Brendan Frederick “Shanny” Shanahan (born January 23, 1969) is the National Hockey League’s Vice President of Hockey and Business Development and head disciplinarian. Originally drafted by the New Jersey Devils second overall in the 1987 NHL Entry Draft, Shanahan played with the St. Louis Blues, Hartford Whalers, Detroit Red Wings, New York Rangers, and New Jersey Devils. He spent the majority of his career with the Red Wings, with whom he won three Stanley Cup championships. With his physical play and goal scoring ability, Shanahan scored 656 goals in his NHL career spanning over 1,500 NHL games and, at the time of his retirement, was the leader among active NHL players for goals scored. Shanahan is the only player in NHL history with over 600 goals and 2,000 penalty minutes.

Competing for Team Canada internationally, Shanahan won a gold medal at the 1994 World Championships, 2002 Winter Olympics, and a 1991 Canada Cup championship. Having won what are considered the three most prominent team titles in ice hockey, an Olympic gold medal, a World Championship and a Stanley Cup, Shanahan is a member of the elite Triple Gold Club.[1] Shanahan currently works in the NHL office as the league’s vice president of hockey and business operations.[2]
      I literally cut andpasted wikipedia…..but I think it says it all…Shanny deserved it first IMO…before all but Sakic of that group…that is just me though apparently

• aj says:

I don’t mind if Sundin will be inducted at HHOF. He paid his dues regardless that he did not won a Stanley Cup. I would consider Daniel Alfredsson as a Hall of Famer. I mean, what’s wrong with that?

• Lizardking89 says:

Shanahan should have got the nod over Sundin hands down. Just like Pat Burns should be in the hall of fame I think some of those voters have an axe to grind and shouldn’t be allowed to vote.

• boing007 says:

Pat Burns should have been voted in before he died. Now he might not even get in posthumously. Stuck in the box. Bad form.

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

8. aj says:

Aside from the needed forward rebuilding in this team, I’m really interested to see if whether there will be an additional top 4 Defenceman to be put in the lineup.

This team’s blueliners have:
    top 3 – Markov, Subban, Gorges
    2nd 3 – Weber, Diaz, Emelin
    bottom 2 – Kaberle, St. Denis (from Hamilton)

If we’re to guess what can happen depending on how other players that are upcoming in the Bulldogs will progress, I would find the possible Defencemen team like this:

Top 4: Markov, Subban, Gorges, and Diaz
    Bottom 4: Kaberle, Emelin, Beaulieu and Tinordi (from Hamilton)
    Extras: St. Denis or Brendon Nash (from Hamilton)

But, if the Habs do decide to get a UFA as an additional top 4 Dman, I would like to have them either:

1) Jason Garrison
    2) Dennis Wideman
    3) Ryan Suter (a long shot, why not?)
    4) Filip Kuba

• TomNickle says:

Wideman and Suter are the only two I’d thank you for.

I’d prefer to add Joe Corvo.

• habs-fan-84 says:

agreed.

• aj says:

@ TomNickle:

I was thinking of Wideman as well. However, Garrison is a decent DMan to consider. But you’re right. The first 2 you mentioned are the most likely to be given an offer if the Habs go that route.

• krob1000 says:

I wouldn;t even look at Wideman…mainly because we have several of that guy already….Suter is good enough in all aspects you would be crazy not to take him…but Wideman and those other guys aren’t much diff’t then the gusy we have…we only really have room for a tough dman or a superstar…in which case you make room.

• TomNickle says:

That would be true if Dennis Wideman didn’t throw bodychecks regularly or block shots.

He does both, quite frequently.

• krob1000 says:

Gorges and Emelin do that…you know as well as I do that the Habs need someone mean in the back end….not body cheking mean …I mean the type of guy who goes crazy enough that players don’t want to even make eye contact in a scrum….we need that presence…on the back end IMo is where to get it. Not knocking Wideman…knocking the fit in Montreal

• TomNickle says:

I realize that we need guys who are intimidating physically on defense.

But Dennis Wideman is the kind of player who fits with everybody. He does everything well. Not Suter well, but well enough to step into a top four role if need be.

Subban, Gorges, Emelin and Markov are the only four we have who should be kept in my opinion. I would build it from there.

• jedimyrmidon says:

With the amount of injury problems this team has, it probably needs a few spare players, and not rookie AHLers like Tinordi and Beaulieu either.

• habstrinifan says:

Exactly… and too expensive too.

• boing007 says:

Volchenkov?

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• ABHabsfan says:

Garrison would be a good addition and I would add Matt Carle to you list. Suter obviously is a full package.
      Campoli is a better d-man than Corvo.

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

9. krob1000 says:

So…let’s assume Linden is right and the season starts in December…crappy assumption…but let us assume. Galchenyuk now has a half season in the Hammer as do Leblanc and others…including Beaulieu and Tinordi….are any of them ready at that point? I think Tinordi may be….I also think Galchenyuk may be. If that is the case …OR…could be the case…do the Habs maybe take things lower knowing this isn’t our year…..let Diaz/Weber battle all year to see who earns their keep?do we try and build up the trade value of Bourque, Kaberle and perhaps others and try to
    stock some picks for next years strong draft? Is trading Eric Cole a reality if the team isn’t looking good?
    On the other hand…..the team was decimated by injuries, Markov has long been the teams most influential player..can he be 90 percent of what he was? can Gio, Bourque and Pleks find their form? Now that we are so deep in prospects and we have extra picks next year…if we are a low end playoff team…do you deal to make a run? The D and so many guys of similar roles throughout the lineup are an issue….Kaberle/Diaz/weber/Markov….all offensive guys (Markov can be more of course but how healthy will he be?), Gorges and Emelin are both gritty but not fighters or guys who strike fear into forwards, Moen/White/staubitz….none have any real offesnive upside, DD/Pleks/Eller and now Glachenyuk….yet we still have a glaring need for a right handed center who can take faceoffs and play against top competition to make room for the smaller centers, we have Gio and Gio.2 in gallagher, we have Palushaj/Kristo/geoffrion all in he maybe but not likely category.
    This team could go in many directions and I do not envy Bergevin’s decisions…..his best moves may be the ones he doesn;t make…and I hate that approach ..but the more I think about it…the more I think we give it a go with pretty well what we got plus a toughdman and a right handed or tougher two way guy, a mediocre top 9 and see what the situation is at the midpoint….and decide then….
    I could change my mind again in a few minutes…it is that confusing right now being a Habs fan….I feel like I am lost and am desperatley seeking leadership and direction from the organization…whichever route that should be…..yikes…I need to lie down…my head is spinning…..like it does everytime I try and envision a lineup for next year….

• TomNickle says:

Regarding Emelin not striking fear into forwards.

Wanna carry the puck over the Habs’ blueline on his side of the ice?

Wanna go into his corner to get a puck?

• krob1000 says:

you knwo what I mean…and let us not forget..those hits all but stopped after the Montreal media ran that story about him not answering the bell….he wasn;t the same and shouldn;t have to…PK can lower the boom too…but my point wasn;t about clean hockey paly…it was that we are lacking the squirrely loose cannon type who sticks up for PRice and everyone else..ie Souray, Wiz, Bieksa, Jovo/Pronger/chara/etc…

• TomNickle says:

Probably had more to do with him battling a shoulder injury through the last twenty games.

• krob1000 says:

nah it’t theplate in his face…he’ll never fight and in the wacky world of the NHL someone has to after clean hits it seems….the games where Armstrong and Thornton went after him and noone stuck up for him really bothered me….can’t imagine how he felt

• TomNickle says:

A fear of fighting made him stop throwing bodychecks with the same force that he did through his first 50-60 games as a rookie but a shoulder injury didn’t.

Having some trouble understanding the logic.

• Ozmodiar says:

Galchenyuk can’t play in the Hammer next year.

• JUST ME says:

Forget Tinordi Beaulieu,Galchenyuk and maybe even Gallagher. They belong in the minors do not make the error as we always do to bring them up too quickly and burn them.
      They may play a few games as permitted by rules at the begining of the season or come back to replace injured players but they belong in Hamilton and Sarnia for Galchenyuk.
      They are kids for pete`s sake . Relax !

• krob1000 says:

Some guys learn more playing with the big boys..others learn dominating at a lower level…but most of these guys have always dominated..what benefit is there froma hockey perspective? If Montreal is a playoff team…and the pressure cooker is on high..leave them down of course. A season like last year…or say a few guys go down, or the season doesn;t start until December…all bets are off…one of them will be there.

• JUST ME says:

You don`t plan short term with those guys . You have to see long term and you will be thankful you did. Do you think that because the season may start in december Bergevin will change his plans ?
          The AHL is a big step for most of the guys who dominated in the minors and for once they hired personnel to make sure they get the proper development and that they are ready to face stardom wich in my book is great. If they get to the NHL too fast and play on a third or fourth line it`s the worst you can do for their confidence at a very critical time.
          I grant you that we may see Gallagher in Montréal but still am not sure.

• krob1000 says:

I am thinking long term…what I amsuggesting in that scenario is that we commit to a rebuild and give those guys prominent roles to learn with prominent linemates at the best level…if you read the rest of the post..I am not advocating it…am just throwing it out as one of the many options out there….because there are so many right now. I am still not convinced bergevin isn’t going to fo the rebuild route and jettison a couple surprisingplayers by seasons end

• boing007 says:

Kids like Landeskog? RN Hopkins?

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

10. Habs1996 says:

Parenteau aint that small you know…6 foot and 195 pounds…
    Bourque deserves a second chance and Parenteau Deserves a first chance if we cant find another better winger.
    “Le reve de tous les jeunes quebecois est de jouer pour les canadiens”
    With all the hard work he has made to work his way through the line up, i think he deserves it

11. habs11s says:

How does a guy like Mats Sundin get into the HHOF?
    _____________________________________________________________

• habs-fan-84 says:

see Chris’ post a page or two ago. Here, I’ll help you out; from Chris, earlier today:

My opinion is that Mats Sundin was perhaps one of the 5 best players in the NHL during his career, but was cursed by an absolutely brutal supporting cast.

Sundin did it all for the Leafs. He won 55-60% of his faceoffs most seasons, which ranked him amongst the league leaders.

He routinely killed penalties and led the Leafs in short-handed ice time in a few seasons.

He was good for nearly a point-per-game in an era where a point per game was a pretty prodigious scoring clip. Comparing Shanahan and Sundin is somewhat fair given that their careers almost completely overlapped: Sundin outscored Shanahan in 13 of their 18 mutual seasons.

The big knock against Sundin, like Saku Koivu, is that he could never lead his teams to a championship. This is fair, although it wasn’t for any lack on Sundin’s part…his playoff production rate (91 GP, 38 G, 82 PTS) is better than that of Brendan Shanahan (184 GP, 60 G, 134 PTS). Notably, his goal-scoring rate in the playoffs was even better than that of Shanahan despite his role as a playmaker.

Swap Sundin to the Red Wings and Shanahan to the Maple Leafs and I think most people would have a hard time arguing that Shanahan’s production would remain the same. Similarly, I don’t think anybody would be shocked to see Sundin’s numbers improve significantly.

• TomNickle says:

Guys that score nearly 1400 points in even less games and play almost exclusively for one team throughout their entire careers usually get in.

• Chuck says:

Until today, he paid admission. ;-)
      ___________________________________________________

• chelseafan says:

He was the whole Leafs team for ten years. He also was an international force- who would you have favoured… Shanny?!?

Interesting question, I know some very intelligent Leaf fans (don’t laugh there are some) who are flabbergasted today. Sundin was absolutely HOF talented, but to many die hard Leaf fans he never exuded the passion and ferocity they wanted or expected. Just sayin’

• Un Canadien errant says:

While he was an All-Star in his years in Toronto, he didn’t win a scoring championship or any major individual awards. He only scored over 100 points once, and did so as a Nordique, and never scored 50 goals, reaching 47 once and 41 on another occasion. He had limited success in the playoffs, contributing offensively but never taking his team deep into the playoffs.

Go to the front of the class if you know who Ralph Krueger is.

13. Habs1996 says:

Tomnickle:
    no,but we will have parenteau who is a great player itself.
    top six wingers?
    Cole Pacioretty Gionta Moen and maybe Bourque
    Who are those top six wingers of yours
    i can only see four who can potentially have a good solid season

I am glad to see White get another kick at the can. I and others have posted before about how he never really had a good offseason and training camp last year due to sports hernia injury. I like the energy, hustle and swagger that White brings. i am very hopeful we see a return to more of what we saw towards the end of 2 seasons ago than what we saw last year.

Congrats Ryan!

Good Manitoba kid no less!

15. Habs1996 says:

Sign Parenteau and send Leblanc to hamilton.Let the young player play more and play more(20 min in 1rst line in AHL instead of 10 in 3 rd line in Nhl ),
    let him build more confidence in an league where he can easily dominate and let him lead the team and the young fowards such as gallagher and holland. That would be a great idea.
    -my opinion

Don’t sign Parenteau.

We have two top six right wingers and don’t have John Tavares and Matt Moulson.

Also, he is an Allan Walsh client.

• aj says:

I would sign Parenteau if ever management has no other alternative to find a good top six RW at the 2nd line. Why not?

• TomNickle says:

Then why don’t we go after Alex Semin?

• aj says:

You know what, I suggested that before here in HIO TomNickle.

EDIT: The best RW wing UFA’s right now are – Parenteau, Semin, Jagr, Doan, Sykora, and Samuelsson.

We all know the last 4 will probably sign an offer sheet with their respective teams. But, if for whatever reason that they may not get a new offer (either by their age or by the $$$ factor), I would settle to any of these RW’ers nonetheless.

• ProHabs says:

I am not interested in Paranteau. But I wouldn’t want Semin either. I want a winger that can drop the mitts and pound someone, not someone who will get into a slapping match with the opposition.

• chelseafan says:

Semin has no passion and has problems in the playoffs- yet, he is an interesting prospect. Rather a Parenteau (can he or Gio play LW?) or Nash:)

• habs-fan-84 says:

how about no. He brings absolutely nothing to this team. I don’t know where or when this nonsense started, but I hope it stops soon.

This is already worse than the Konopka sweepstakes last August. For the record Konopka would have actually made sense.
      Konopka > Nokelainen

• TomNickle says:

Parenteau is actually a pretty good hockey player. I would venture to say that alone makes this not nearly as bad as the Konopka crap.

• habs-fan-84 says:

His 67 points last year are a testament to his work ethic and the fact that, indeed he is a “pretty good hockey player”, with a feel good story. However, at this point (IMO) I don’t see him adding what we need, he does not compliment the existing team or its prospects with what we require going forward.

16. TomNickle says:

Who feels like giving the dumb guy instructions on how to load an avatar?

Glad to see the return of Robert L, a guy who has a soft spot in his heart for the Canadiens. One of the best Hab bloggers – right up there with MB and JT.

I trust that he remembers he owes me a beer at Hurleys during the next Hab Summit!

18. Chuck says:

I feel like a Summit. With a couple of long nights at Hurley’s.
    ___________________________________________________

Fine, lets have a Summit then, damnit!

• Chuck says:

Where’s Ian when you need him?!

___________________________________________________

• 24 Cups says:

Chuck – how would you like to see Saku Koivu play one more time at the Bell Centre?

PS – I’ve got my tickets lined up for Leonard Cohen and Neil Young.

• Chuck says:

I would love nothing more.

___________________________________________________

Chuck we may need to organize a mini Summit this fall at Gators for the Burlington/Milton/Hamilton/Oakville gang!

• Chuck says:

Deal.

___________________________________________________

19. chelseafan says:

Gomez plus Kaberle = 11 million to lure a LWer!

20. Kooch7800 says:

Here is a compilation on the habs website of big hits from last year….there is a lot of hits and I think out of all of them 90 percent are two players…..Subban and Emelin…..and 2 total from forwards.
    Take Emelin of this team and it would be a short highlight reel

• ProHabs says:

Really? A compilation of Habs hits or Habs being hit. If it is the former, the video is probablly about 10 seconds long. If it is the later, the video would be much much longer.

• Kooch7800 says:

It is all Emelin and PK hits. Both had some pretty stellar hits last season. Take a watch. Emelin is an elite hitter for a D man and exactly what we are missing on the back end. We need some other mean D back there who can crush some bones to make people think twice.

as I stated above…there is two hits from forwards lol

21. chanchilla says:

i still don’t understand the posters on this site, instead of playing louis leblanc on the first or second line in hamilton, we’re gonna keep him in the nhl to play 4th line minutes and destroy any progression he would have.

22. frontenac1 says:

With a name like Elvis Jones,I will definetly look him up! HfxHabfan! Verona! Piccadilly arena! I coached minor hockey there for 7years! Smittys hometown too!Hola!

23. Ozmodiar says:

Parenteau is not a fit in Montreal.

First of all, he plays on the right side.

Current RWs: Cole, Gionta, Leblanc, White

PAP would become the 3rd line RW on this depth chart. Assuming he’s looking for 4+/yr on a long-term deal, that’s a lot of money for a 3rd line RW. This also forces Leblanc to play on the left side. Cole has to stay on the right side where he belongs (see Edmonton experience).

Prospect RWs: Collberg, Gallagher, Kristo

A long-term deal would see PAP signed for at least the duration of Cole’s contract. This would likely mean no available roster spots for Gallagher/Kristo until Gionta is gone, or Collberg until Cole is gone. Collberg could play LW, but Leblanc would already be there. I think this holds these guys back by a year.

Secondly, I don’t think his style of play is a fit. He competes hard, but doesn’t bring much needed toughness to the line-up. If toughness isn’t a priority for the top 6, I think they’d be better off finding a scoring winger rather than a passing winger.

On top of this, he doesn’t have a long history of success, and his recent success has been playing with JT.

But his name would fit so well Oz!

• BeachHabFan says:

I’d rather see Shane Doan then pap , move leblanc to 4th line C (assuming gomez is C on 3rd line)

• TomNickle says:

Yeah let’s put the kid we want to develop into an elite winger on the fourth line for the season.

• BeachHabFan says:

Given that our physiotherapist staff didn’t undergo the same purge as our mgmt, I’m sure he’ll have a chance to move up within the first two weeks of the season thanks to the inevitable 3-mth injuries we seem to incur

• Ozmodiar says:

Weren’t you the one who thought the term ‘elite’ was thrown around to often? Perhaps not.

• TomNickle says:

As it relates to current NHL players. Yes, and it is.

Leblanc is still a prospect. And as such he can be developed into an elite player.

That not okay?

• Ozmodiar says:

/nods slowly

• 24 Cups says:

BHF – Guys like Doan, Parise, Semin and Whitney aren’t coming to Montreal. Hab fans need to stay in the real world.

• BeachHabFan says:

If I wanted to stay in the real world i’d be finishing my work and not posting on HIO. Don’t care for the other 3, a schlub like PG managed to get Cole to sign here, so since we’re all posting our ideas and hypotheticals (and since i have to suffer thru pro-tanking posts) I say i’d like to see Doan as a hab for a year or two.

• Maybe there is one poor soul of hockey player out there thinking, “Shit, I’ll never win a Cup, might as well play for the Habs!”

• Saundies says:

….and why not? it’s not like we don’t have money to spend for any of them.

• 24 Cups says:

Oz – We must be joined at the hip because I’ve been saying that all month long.

Let’s sign a LW, 4th line centre or a bad to the bone Dman.

• Ozmodiar says:

yup. exaaaaactly my wish list. with LW being anywhere from 2nd to 4th line.

I like TomNickle’s line-up below for next year…although I’d prefer Prust over Staubitz, who could be the 13th forward.

• Bouleau noir says:

As a local boy and friend of Desharnais PA would favorised Montreal over other destinations but as just said he’d be rather far from being an ideal fit….. Yagr would be a better fit, specially in term of contract lenth and salary but the guy is a veteran right wing player just like Cole and Gionta. The UFA market is hopelessly thin.

• mark24 says:

He also plays the left side.

24. Rudy says:

I have to say that I am somewhat disapointed that so many didn’t “get” the PK-respect speech used earlier today. It was word for word. I was on an airplane and had to power off, but I wanted to respond. I literally laughed out loud on the airplane (which how I got caught for not turning it off before).
    WELL PLAYED SIR!!

There is going to be at least 6 new faces on the roster this year boys and girls.

26. frontenac1 says:

Good advice Habinburlington re/context for BB”s. So ,am I the only guy that thinks Staubitz has wheels?

• HFX-HabFan says:

Staubitz has wheels like Denny Lambert had wheels.

Hey frontenac, I don’t mind Staubitz, if after MB and company build their roster and there is room for him I don’t mind having him as an option. Having said that, there is a reason his stats are what they are after the number of years he has played in the NHL.

I don’t mind him having a spot, but only if it doesn’t prevent us from getting the most we can out of our active roster.

No doubt he added a dimension to the team last year. I would just prefer we add a Dman who can clear the crease and add the dimension Staubitz brings.

27. HFX-HabFan says:

Forwards (Montreal): Max-Pac, Cole, Plekanec, DD, Bourque, Gio, Eller, White, Leblanc
    Forwards (Hamilton): Geoffrion, Dumont, Engqvist, Avtsin, Gallagher, Bournival, Quailer, Palushaj, Nattinen, Holland, Schultz

I would like to bring back Moen. He is the only UFA forward I’d want to return. Maybe Nokelainen as a thirteenth forward.
    So we need two short-term forwards (+ Moen), one who can play second or third line minutes. Steve Ott would be nice. A true fourth line centre would be nice, which we didn’t seem to have after Halpern walked last summer. I wouldn’t mind targeting a guy like Boyd Gordon, who has one year left and a reasonable $1.325mil cap hit. Good faceoff guy, RH shot, great on the PK. Perfect for the fourth line.

Max-Pac-DD-Cole
    Bourque-Pleks-Gio
    Ott-Eller-Leblanc
    Moen-Gordon-White

D (Montreal): Markov, Subban, Yemelin, Gorges, Kaberle, Diaz
    D (Hamilton): Nash, Tinordi, Beaulieu, St-Denis, Ellis

On D, I hope we trade Weber for a pick for next year. We desperately need to get stronger in our own end; it’s vital that we land a tough crease-clearer. A lot of people like Bryan Allen, but he’ll probably command a four-year deal from somebody. Maybe Bryce Salvador is a nice stopgap two-year deal option:

Markov-Gorges
    Yemelin-Subban
    Kaberle-Salvador
    Diaz

G (Montreal): Price, Budaj
    G (Hamilton): Delmas, Dell

Add a career minor league goalie with a bit of NHL experience and we’re good to go in net.

And that’s it, save for signing a career minor league or three (Brian Willsie, etc). A few tweaks that aren’t really blocking the paths of the key prospects long-term, but a tougher and deeper team overall.

28. BeachHabFan says:

sad to see the HIO senior posting class so down on a staubitz-moen-white line. An aggressive, physical energy line (featuring two guys who spend a load of time on the PK as well) is something we have sorely missed. Enough complaining about speed, if guys on the other team are scraping their rears off the ice the playing field levels out a fair bit. Make it happen Bergy!

• TomNickle says:

It isn’t just speed my well tanned friend. It’s about hockey. And while it’s nice to have players who can defend the core of your team, they do need to be able to stop the other team from potting one every now and again.

I would be fine with the following for the record…..

Pacioretty – Desharnais – Cole
      Bourque – Plekanec – Gionta
      Moen – Eller – Leblanc
      Staubitz – McClement – White

Having said that I would far rather have Geoffrion in the lineup than Staubitz. But I could live with what I’ve posted.

• boing007 says:

True that. Impossible to skate fast when you’re sitting on the ice on your rear end.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

29. frontenac1 says:

Yeah, that’s right Commandant, I’m out in the wilds north of Kingston posting from my BB. It really is Gods country up here. Lots of Hockey guys with summer places, Muller,Smitty,Killer etc. But service can be slow.So I apologize for falling behind sometimes. I will try my best to keep up. Hola!

People, people, people. When it aint broke…

Here is your Habs team:

Cole-DD-Pax
    Bork-Plex-Gio
    Moen-Eller-Palushaj
    Geoffrion-Engqvist-White

Markov-Emelin
    Gorges-Subban
    Kaberle-Diaz/Weber

Price
    Budaj

This a play-off team. The lottery pick play-off that is.

Fantankstic.

• TomNickle says:

The scary thing is that your edition becomes a playoff team if you take out Engqvist and add a decent defensive/physical centreman, and take out Diaz/Weber and add a hard nosed defenseman.

If I may Dave. You’re way too nice about your tanking. Just trade Plekanec, Markov and Gionta for picks and prospects and it’s over, done. No need for the tank debate to continue for another season because it would be settled!

• 100HABS says:

You’re right, we trade these three and it is over. But why would you want that?
        I’d rather win this year. And the next. And the next…

• TomNickle says:

If you add the defensemen you need via free agency you’ll be committing term in all likelihood. If you need to go through the trade route you’ll have to part with promising prospects or good draft picks.

If you can’t add the defensemen you need you’re screwed. No playoffs or not nearly good enough in the playoffs to be dangerous.

If Bergevin can find new homes for Diaz and Weber and add a couple of Barret Jackman types without committing big term and dollars or parting with assets I’m all for this team making a run at it immediately. If not, start moving the vets.

• Cal says:

HH would rather lose and lose and lose, just like the “powerhouse” Oilers. It’s his wet dream.

• TomNickle says:

Cal you’re like a broken record. Why don’t you take 20 minutes and read his post in reply to me below.

It isn’t about tanking for the sake of getting a high pick. It’s that if you know what you need and can’t or aren’t willing to pay what it takes to get it. You know, in terms of making yourself an actual Cup contender instead of an 8th place contender. Then you trade assets that have less value to you but higher values to other teams(ie: veterans) for draft picks and prospects.

It isn’t as black and white as you make it out to be.

• Cal says:

@TN- Like HH isn’t one. He keeps on with the same idea: lose to win. Habs management and coaching staff were cleared after the worst season in living memory. Yet, he wants to watch the same sh!t season over and over for sh!ts and giggles. Last season was great- if you like watching a team fall apart due to injuries. 1 toilet bowl of a season is enough. The Habs will move forward as a winning team, not the losers HH wants them to be.

• TomNickle says:

He doesn’t want the team to lose.

But hey, just keep attacking.

• HardHabits says:

You don’t know me well enough yet or haven’t figured me out. I am a student of Taoism/Buddhism so what appears to be bipolarity or fence sitting is actually just me searching for the middle way in a world of duality.

What I see is this. This team is not solid but not that crappy. Adding one stay at home defenceman with size and grit is still going to cost a pretty penny as would a bonafide top 6 winger. Doable but costly.

I tend to say stick with DD, Patches, Eller, Price, Subban, Emelin as your core, with Cole, Plekanec, Gio and Markov as your veterans. Scrap Gomez this summer and trade Kablerle next deadline. Tell the kids it’s going to be tough for two years but in that span the team will follow an upward trajectory with the additions of Gallagher, Bournival, Leblanc, possibly Kristo, Beaulieu, Tinordi, and maybe Ellis, the team can either shed some veteran presence AKA the exchange for picks route or trade some youth for more a promising player in a quantity for quality exchange. In the meantime something has to be developed that appears to be a winner. Looking at that line-up just makes me shudder to think that is the best Habs fans could expect for another two decades. I think almost everybody is maxed out on the let’s go blow some more cash on an ageing over-priced past his best before date veteran in the hopes that we’ll make the play-offs and sell some more merchandise today.

If the top 4 D-man and top 6 forward are attainable for something that isn’t ridiculous in term and cap hit then I am all for going for it. In the meantime I’d suggest people who are hoping for something like that to happen put down their NHL12.

Needs Massive Tweaking!

• habs_54321 says:

i can see either gallagher or leblanc making the team eliminating the need for top 6 forward in free agency id say we definitly need upgrades in the bottom 6

• Ian Cobb says:

HH, you missed Gomez, a big come back year my friend!

• ont fan says:

Galyenchuk misses a whole year of playing and people really think that doesn’t mean anything? If anyone on this site has missed a year of playing because of an injury and it didn’t affect their timing and their head…Markov …please tell me. He’ll be in Sarnia.

• 100HABS says:

Bork! LOL – and I’m French!

I disagree, this is a middling playoff team. With tweaking, it’ll be better.

• That's-Hockey says:

HardHabits – I can’t believe it. when it ain’t broke and we finished in 28th place WOW

• HardHabits says:

Dude. You haven’t been here long enough I gather. Tanking™ is an HH running gag. So is size and grit. Except that one applies to two of HIO’s HH’s.

• Rob says:

come on now. credit to where it’s due. Size and Grit belonged to Habs Prof. No one else can lay claim to it

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

• HardHabits says:

No, no, no. H-P was all about N.A.G. (North American Grit) and veteran youth. I just Tweaked™ it. ;-)

“Lesser artists borrow, great artists steal.” – Igor Stravinsky

Suggestion for those posting from Cellphones and specifically responding to a previous comment. Why not just use the @ sign for who you are directing your comment to, and perhaps mention the simple Re: blah blah.

I don’t mean to sound arrogant, but so many posts get put on these threads and they have zero context? I do recognize typing takes longer, but 2-4 extra words and suddenly we all know what the post relates to.

Granted I understand that HI/O could be updated or upgraded such that this wouldn’t be an issue, but we still are not allowed to hit refresh and see that nice little red “new” beside new posts, so I am not holding my breath on the site becoming more mobile app friendly.

Just a request that would edify the conversation on the threads is all.

32. frontenac1 says:

You think Staubitz is slow?

33. frontenac1 says:

Thanks Commandant, as always you make sense! Hola!

34. Habzfan says:

Does anyone think MB will be going after any free agents July 1?
    Maybe a D-man or a winger to fill a hole.

• Chuck says:

He had better! We certainly have some holes to fill.

___________________________________________________

35. frontenac1 says:

Disagree Tom. I think they would make a pretty good 4th line. Speed , energy, attitude and the odd goal. I think it would be ok.

• TomNickle says:

Speed among Staubitz, White and Moen?

Forgetting for a second that each line needs to be at least adequate defensively(a trait only Moen possesses of those three). They sir are not anything resembling quick or fast.

As a matter of fact. I could make a pretty damn good argument that it would be the slowest line in the NHL.

Pretty far fetched to call that potential line one that would have speed.

No offensive threat, nothing average defensively. It would be a fighting line not capable of playing adequate NHL hockey against opposing teams.

36. HabFab says:

Couple of points in regards to UFA’s;
    - Habs have 41 players under contract at this point
    - need for 7 more including a #3 goaltender who can play in NHL
    - if you look at our best 13 forwards and 7 defensemen out of that 41. That is not a team I’m comfortable with facing the upcoming season
    - as to who, I’ll leave that up to MiB and his team.

37. Rudy says:

If Galchenyuk were to play in the world junior tournament what country would he be eligible for?

38. frontenac1 says:

Explain please

39. Un Canadien errant says:

This is like being at a party, moving around all night to avoid having to talk to an annoying guest.

Don’t get sucked in folks.

40. mark24 says:

Parenteau is a guy who has struggled to make the NHL over the years. He’s been up and down throughout his career and finally stuck with the isles a few years ago. He’s a guy who on a good team would provide good support scoring but generally a guy who is not gonna play on a teams top line. Don’t get me wrong, the guy is decent and can score regularly, and I think he’d fit nicely on the Habs second line. Just temper expectations a bit as he’s no superstar. He’s also a right handed shot and that’s also something we need. Last season was a career season for him playing for the most part with Tavarez, as long as a repeat of those numbers isn’t expected then yes he would be a good fit and yes he would help.

41. wjc says:

Do you guys ever hate Gomez, you won’t even allow a discussion regarding him. Sad, real sad.

wjc

• PEIMIKE says:

Really there is nothing to discuss. It was a terrible trade and the Habs are left with the consequences. I don’t hate the guy, but in the old days players admitted they were done and left the game for the benefit of everyone. I can’t say I would walk away from 10 million dollars but if he wants to make his money, he should accept a role in Hamilton. He could probably help out with the younger players in the system…like where they can get a good agent. Maybe buy the team a new bus…

42. frontenac1 says:

If we have White,Moen and Staubitz,what’s the point of Darche? He is already doing a good job on RDS.

43. wjc says:

Why do people hate Gomez so, is it just about the dough. What does he make this year 5.3 million.
    Was he used improperly last year?
    Did he have proper line mates to help him achieve.
    Is he the official whipping boy? Do you not see that a comeback for Gomez helps the Canadiens.
    Do the players like him. Should he be encouraged by a coach that can bring the best out of him again.
    Do you think he doesn’t try, do you think he has lost a step?
    Do you hate his attitude, his size ?

Or do you just hate him, because you hate him and it would not be cool to route for his comeback.

wjc

• Boomer says:

Personally I don’t hate Gomez. He isn’t producing. What he brings to the table isn’t even worth 2 million a year. We can’t put him on the fourth line. And with DD, Pleks, Leblanc, and Eller (possibly Galchenyuk aswell) competing for top 3 center positions, there’s just no room for him on the roster. Not producing is one thing but when you’re a defensive liablility on the ice and you’re getting paid 7 Million a year, time to go.

44. frontenac1 says:

Carbo is done! Let’s move on. Commandant,what’s your take on this Parenteau lad everyone is talking about?

• That's-Hockey says:

From what I’ve seen and read about Parenteau. He could be a good 3rd line right winger. He’s averaged 50-55 points a year and around 15-17 goals a year. I don’t see anyone better on our 3rd or 4th line.
      I think he would be ok for Eller on the 3rd line. with a good left winger and the 3rd line will have improved….Moen, Gomez, White maybe what the DR. ordered for the 4th line.

45. frontenac1 says:

I’m with you habsfan. Can somebody fill us in on this Parenteau guy?

46. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Galchenyuk is the type of Player that will dictate to Us whether He is ready for the NHL this season
    …He, like Skinner, Hall, Ryan Nugent Hopkins, Tavares, Crosby, Malkin or any of the others jumping straight out of Junior are at a level that if He is determined and prepared in September/October, the decision will be taken out of Bergevin’s and Therrien’s hands

• habstrinifan says:

Go to the head of the class. I 100% agree with you. And I am also inclined to believe that he will be “determined and prepared in September/October,”.

I like your very realistic take.

• jmsheehy19 says:

But he missed the whole season. I agree he could force the issue, but I’d be stunned if he isn’t sent back to juniors.

• He’ll be in Sarnia, it’s written in stone. When Bergevin was hired, he said something I’ll never forget regarding the development of prospects. He was in fact talking about the AHL, but it still applies. He said “often, you hear of players getting called up too soon, hurting their eventual development. You never hear of a player having stayed down too long.” Read into that, and you know where Gally will be playing this season.

• Carta-Hab says:

Have to agree with this. Not only that, but if you look at the depth chart right now there really isn’t a need to rush him to the Show (center position) Regardless of how well of a camp he has, I would prefer to see him play in Sarnia and test out that knee of his in real hockey. Let him dominate and get his knee back into playing form. Knowing our luck with injuries the past year, I don’t want to take any chances rushing up too fast.

Mike Milbury, Don Cherry, and PJ Stock….The three stooges of HNIC.

• I won’t hurt his experience either to play without Yakopov. A lot of growing is done by a player in one season season. If he were to make the Canadiens, he’d get nowhere near the minutes.

• boing007 says:

Well, he’ll be in Brossard for the next three days so go take a look and see for yourself if he could be ready by October.

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• wjc says:

Agreed, can he beat out Gomez for the center job. My money is on Gomez. If he does beat out Gomez, he will have to be awfully good.

wjc

47. temekuhabs says:

You haven’t been to the PPP site then,

48. temekuhabs says:

In regards to Bourque, hopefully MT lights a fire under his “under-achieving ass..”

• TaxGuy says:

He just might. Bourque is one of the guys who I think will benefit from a fresh start with a new coach. He clearly did not respond well to JM.

49. HabFab says:

CBA talks start on Friday in NY.

50. mahabs4life says:

Shane Doan might look nice in a Habs uniform. Apparently, Coyote GM Don Maloney said Doan will test Free Agency. There is the cousin connection of course.

51. TaxGuy says:

I think it will be interesting to see how Eller responds to a different coach. Like many Habs, he seemed uncertain of what was required of him under JM. We could see a much improved player this year. Needs better wingers though. I still think DD will be the odd man out one day, although I would be happy to be proven wrong as I admire what DD has accomplished.

52. jo_maka says:

Re:Eller, this is my 2 cents

This kid rehabbed a shoulder surgery and got thrown in the wing to start the season. Found a groove with a unexpected Sniper Mpen and rejuvenated Tits (sorry, that made me giggle), boom ! Line broken after a dozen games. Darche? Blunden? How about Laraque and Gill on the wings while we’re there, I mean c’mon. A frail rookie like Leblanc rushed into the show way too early? Same problem. The bonehead plays we saw were because he’d try to do too much in his zone (coachable). And who could blame him? He’s a 22 yrs olds center on a team with no direction that takes the majority of his faceoffs in his zone, more than DD and Pleks or (God, the humanity) Gomez. 2 yrs steady in the Count’s doghouse bc the Goat bullied him into finding a niche for the puppy he got sending away Cerberus. Unfair on the kid. Blunden would hit somebody once, Eller will lose 4 shifts eith him on an otherwise decent night. And no PP. And he still manage to challenge Plek’s points.
    So, next year, give him decent wingers, more o-zone faceoffs, and PP time. Not unlike DD last year. Never put Pleks on PP anymore, he’ll be Carbo clone the PK and d-zone f/o specialist. He won’t run out of gas during playoffs. The previous coaching mismanaged Eller by trying to groom him to be achecking center. Give him Cole and Patch and take a look at that line. If he manage to stop always looking for another pass and try to shoot more, he could be the famed number 1 center we’re looking for.

I highly doubt that Kerkalainen was an idiot selling this kid to thr Blues. And as we start to see, we just might have found another gem through his Frolunda boys. Let’s make the most of it.

53. TomNickle says:

Should this team really be committing long terms and big salaries to free agents?

The following are Habs forwards and the time they either have left on their contracts or time in years of exclusive negotiating rights…..

Plekanec(4), Bourque(4), Cole(3), Pacioretty(3), Eller(4), Desharnais(2), Leblanc(6), Gionta(2)

That’s eight forwards without looking at the prospects entering Hamilton or with the Habs like Geoffrion, Gallagher, Bournival, Palushaj, Nattinen, Holland and recent draft picks like Galchenyuk, Bozon, Collberg and Vail.

Then you have Markov(2), Emelin(2), Subban(4), Gorges(6) and prospects like Beaulieu, Tinordi, Ellis, Bennett, Dietz and Thrower.

Adding impact free agents at this time could really hurt the Habs. If you can manage to get them to sign two or three year deals, great. But it’s far more likely that Bergevin will go bargain hunting rather than commit long terms and big dollars to the top guys.

• What free agent worth anything near 5 X $5M would be interested in Montreal right now. It’s not a problem to bring in anything less and if indeed Parise or Suter were interested, well hell, you just find the room.

I get where you were going with this, Tom, but read this statement again.

“Adding impact free agents at this time could really hurt the Habs.”

• TomNickle says:

I know what you mean Robert. I feel it could do more harm than good in the long run.

Who’s to say that a General Manager isn’t willing to give Parenteau $25 million over 5 years?

• God help that GM!

I think a big part of the solution for Habs going forward is to not only dump the Gomez deal in Hamilton (obvious) but also park Kaberle’s salary there as well. I would even go so far as to light a spark under Bourque’s tail and threaten the same.

• Cal says:

Parenteau is on the radar for up front help on the wing. Where to get a low cost (comparatively) hitting Dman for 2 seasons? Bouillon, perhaps?

• Parenteau is just a player who fit nicely with two players, Tavares and Moulson, who have natural chemistry. If PAP was such a hot commodity, the one making the wheel spin, the Isles would have locked him up by now and he would be happy to be staying there.

• HabFab says:

There are only two UFA’s IMHO that would warrant a long term / big salary contract…would make the sacrifice for either. However, agree that 2-3 years should be max.

• habstrinifan says:

Not big dollars but they gotta fill some holes and they need to be in on relatively inexpensive UFA defensive players like Sheldon Brookbank (there are others he’s just my favourite). They can also go after that workmanlike gritty shutdown forward, hopefully, without expending too much.

Just make offers. If these players command too big salaries then so be it at least we tried. I dont think 2mill max for a player like O’Brien is too much by the way. I know we couldnt do anything re him cause he resigned early.

54. frontenac1 says:

Shane O”brien is an ok player, just think they overpaid a bit. I think Marc and Mike know what they’re doing. Like to see some more size and nasty next week,Hola!

• habstrinifan says:

They paid a graduated salary maximising at 2mill with incentives and he is signed for 4 years. And he did very well for them last season. Lets give them credit… Colorado management did well here.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Marc and Mike had no say in the proceedings, they’re not allowed to talk to other teams’ free agents until July 1.

55. Bozo McBozo says:

The hell with these peasants! What’s my man the Gomer up to?

56. temekuhabs says:

Yeah, I liked the fact that Bergevin handed over the announcement to Timmins, classy..

57. Bill H says:

Another observation about the draft…perhaps someone has already made this point. In fact, someone must have, but I missed it. I thought that was remarkable how Bergevin went to the mic, said the usual bs, then turned it over to Timmins to announce the pick.

I didn’t watch the whole first round, but I don’t recall any other GM doing that. They all took the spot light with the announcement.

I think that bodes well for the team….yes, it is a team, even in the front office. It shows that Bergevin has a lot of respect for the people he works with, and that ego won’t get in the way. Excellent move by Bergevin.

58. Habitant in Surrey says:

…PA Parenteau in a perfect World is an ideal addition of depth …if at the right price
    …likely though He won’t be signable unless paid more than better Players on Our Team that are paid less
    …I think I prefer just develop through the draft than overpay in Free Agency
    …I feel much more confident of developing through the draft exclusively with Bergevin and His comprehensively rebuilt management and coaching team than I was with Gauthier
    …not that I wouldn’t sign Parenteau, …but I would not sign Him at a distorted cost
    …that goes equally for any other prospective FAs

• Clay says:

I agree it’s better to build from the draft. We should save free agent signings until we are close to contending.

__________________________
      ☞ The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard Feynman ☜

• Un Canadien errant says:

Clay, we have giant holes in our roster. If we want to allow our kids to mature in Hamilton, we have no choice but to look for low-cost free agents on short-term contracts. It won’t be pretty, but probably necessary.

Imagine:

Bourque-Plekanec-Cole
        Pacioretty-Desharnais-Parenteau
        Moen-Eller-UFA
        Darche-UFA-White
        Staubitz

Gorges-Subban
        Emelin-Markov
        Kaberle-UFA
        Weber

We have three UFA’s needed on this putative roster, more if we can’t/don’t sign P.A. Parenteau, Travis Moen, Mathieu Darche and Brad Staubitz. If we don’t get UFA’s, we have to rush up Michaël Bournival, Brendan Gallagher, Blake Geoffrion, the young defencemen, which we don’t want to do.

We have no choice but to get some free agents in July, but have to try to do so wisely, short-term cost-effective players. This is where Rick Dudley’s knowledge and Larry Carrière’s assessment from his season behind the bench will be critical to making good decisions.

• Clay says:

Low cost, short term? Then I’m all for it. Otherwise, not so much. I’m happy to get the first overall pick next season, and go from there :)

__________________________

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’d like that pick too, and right now I’d be inclined to spend it on Seth Jones.

• martincurran55 says:

I agree with building from the draft. However, we are still a few years away with a lot of our prospects. I think if we could get a top forward and have to pay above market price for a 2 or 3 year deal, I could live with that. Cole deal from last year looks pretty good right about now.

• Un Canadien errant says:

HiS, who would you sign at a distorted cost?

• boing007 says:

Agreed. Besides that Parenteau is good, but not great.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

59. habs-fan-84 says:

I don’t get all the love for Parenteau?

• Neither do me. If he wasn’t French, nobody would give a carp.

• NCRhabsfan says:

Or a cod.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Well first of all he’s not French, he’s Canadian. Tim Bozon is French.

Second, you’re being oblivious to the attractiveness of a local boy with ties to the city and boyhood love for the team, with a friend in David Desharnais already on board, who will possibly sign at a hometown discount. If you’re ignoring all this, then you’re quite right, there’s not much to get excited about.

And that’s how you miss the entire point. Out of all the UFA’s, guys like Ryan Suter and Zach Parisé are unlikely to sign here. Guys like Jaromir Jagr and Alex Semin come with giant question marks. Guys like Ryan Whitney are fourty or close to it.

P.A. Parenteau is a really nice combo of a guy who’s at a great age, who’s productive and talented, who has the right attitude, and who’s most likely to sign here. That’s where all the love comes from.

Or you can choose to obstinately refuse to see it.

• Understand this – I consider myself both French and Canadian, but I really should have said “because P.A. is from Quebec.”

I don’t really buy into the “attractiveness of a local boy” thing, I just want the team to get better. Parenteau won’t add a thing, even if he were to play with DD – they’d get killed. I also don’t see the Habs through the media’s eyes. They want PAP for all the wrong reasons, such as the homeboy thing. They want an extra player to intervue that they don’t have to translate for.

If other better free agent do not want to come at this time, then the solution is build into the type of team that attracts them. The smaller they get, the less that will happen.

It’s the old adage that July 1 is the day of the season in which the most mistakes are made. Parenteau would be that.

• Un Canadien errant says:

If you’re saying his style of play brings nothing to the team, or that he’s a mirage created by John Tavares, I’ll listen to your points. I just think you’re being dismissive of who he is as a player. There’s a lot to like about a guy who toiled in the minors for years and kept at it and improved and went through some tough times before finding success.

The local angle is another point you’re dismissing too quickly. Having a guy on the team who lives and breathes the bleu-blanc-rouge is a hell of a lot better than having passengers like Scott Gomez and Andrei Kostitsyn. Guys like Mathieu Darche and Ryan Smyth who will give everything they have for their team are valuable. It’s not just the media who want the local kids to play here for soundbites, it’s the fans of the team, who want passionate committed players.

• When I suggest that P.A. is on the smaller side, and that his stats look great because of limemates, it should take away from what he has accomplished, at all. 67 pts aren’t a mirage, and the kid has worked his tail off. His, is a great story. But in the end, I do not see him improving the Habs top two lines to what I’d like them to be.

I get what you’re saying about the local kid being better than what looks like disinterested floaters, but there still has to be a proper fit on the team. He has to slot into the perfect place. If PA is on the third line, well that’s a recipe for disaster. For me, I like my wingers big and tough. I like them to be one on one beasts that don’t back down. The skill is not to be neglected of course, but it takes more. I can’t see PA in that role…unless it’s on the Islanders.

I’ve never bought into breathing the Bleu-Blanc-Rouge making players better, especially over the long haul. I think it’s a myth. Players are good because they’re good, committed because they are naturally dedicated. The CH logo is not a Superman costume. There are more examples recently of players who have left and gotten better than cases in which they come to Montreal and improve.

Don’t think that I am being dismissive about your points. They’re all taken into consideration when I make mine. We see things differently, that’s all. In a matter of days, somewhere in the local press, I can guarante there will be an article about Bruno Gervais as a UFA. He’s of no use to the Habs, but that won’t stop an article from written, pinning once again to bring a local boy home mainly for the sake of it.

• Captain aHab says:

I think he has Eventual Overpaid Bust written all over him. If they can get him cheap, then sure. But I doubt it.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

60. temekuhabs says:

Anyone think Kovy will get signed by us?? Do we want to do that again?

61. temekuhabs says:

Staal wasn’t going to stay, good on Shero to act quickly and get something for him (he did him a nice thing by trading him where he wanted to go)

62. temekuhabs says:

In regards to the White signing, like it, works his ass off, stands up for his teammates, need guys like that to win, hopefully he stays healthy

63. Bill H says:

A bit off the topic for the day…but I am sure many of you noticed what happened with Jordan Stall in Pittsburgh. One year to go on the contract. He wouldn’t commit long term, even at a very generous salary, so rather than let him walk for nothing in a year, they traded him. Pittsburgh gets brownie points for trading him to Carolina where his brother plays, and they get a decent 3rd line centre to replace him, plus an extra pick and a prospect. And that was an extra first rounder if I am not mistaken.

Now, contrast that to how the Habs have been run for a few years now. How many UFA walked out the door for nothing in return?

Okay, sure, the Staal situation is somewhat unique, in that he has lots of talent, perhaps even first line talent, and yet he was stuck behind Crosby and Malkin. But all the same, that showed a lot of foresight on the part of the Pittsburgh GM. He was hardly in a strong bargaining position with Carolina either. They could have got him for nothing in a year. Anyway you slice it, Pittsburgh was very smart.

• Lizardking89 says:

I agree. All the talent that Gainey let walk for nothing was inexcusable. Ryder, Kovalev and Koivu come to mind. We could have gotten decent return for these players. Total incompetence and lack of foresight.

• wjc says:

Making playoffs was more important at the time. Trade them and give up the playoffs or make the playoffs with them.

You people seem to forget the players Montreal signs as free agents that cost nothing….Cole, Gionta, Gill on and on…you know the rest.

wjc

• Yup, imagine all the assests that would be ready to mature right about now that could have been acquired from the Great Gainey purge of ’09 had they been traded instead. 11 UFA’s walked for zip.

The distinction with the Staal scenario is not only the quality of the player, but also the fact that his GM knew with 100% certainty that he wouldn’t resign. How dumb will David poile look on July 1 after Suter moves on?

• Bouillon, Brisebois, Dandenault, Koivu, Kovalev, Komisarek, Kostopoulos, Metropolit, Lang, Schneider and Tanguay. I get that there were different scenarios attached to each, but I’m simply stating that they add up to 11 UFA’s in total that we got zilch for.

• HabFab says:

Okay, with respect towards your advanced age I’ll not debate this.
            :D Nice to see you Robert.

• Oh I could pick it apart myself (even at my advanced age). Of the 11, maybe four give a decent return. But if BG truly felt the team had waterlogged, trading Komisarek or Koivu or Tanguay at the deadline (yes, he was hurt), then maybe one good deal would have salvaged the season somewhat. By that I mean, just getting a good return on one player would have paid some dividend.

• Bill H says:

Thanks for adding some substance to my point Robert. And yes, there were circumstances. But surely with some foresight and planning, we could have gotten some assets in return.

• At least one, eh? I think the day Gainey fired Carbo, he’d like to have back.

• HabFab says:

Still don’t understand that one. So much so that I even wonder if the rumor mongers might have something!

• The team were slumping, but basically 11 games over .500. (35-24-7). All that jumped out for me, was that after the team won in Dallas, they stayed overnight, much to displeasure of the players. They were kept there, for Carbo to visit family. That’s not enough to get a guy fired. There was surely more, and perhaps the room was split in six, but I never got the “Carbonneau is a bad communicator” thing. That was actually a facet of his self that brought him to coaching. As a veteran player, he spent all kinds of time with Dallas’ kids, teaching them tricks and stuff. It remains a mystery!

• wjc says:

Nobody was going to trade for them when they were going to be free.

The choice always was make the playoffs or give up and throw the season away.

You cannot reinvent history to suit your arguements. That is revisionism.
        Players were rebelling on Carbo, he was losing the team. Gainey went behind the bench to see where the problems were and found out in the playoff sweep

• Nothing’s being reinvented. This discussion was happening and very pertinent at the time. The Habs chose to head for the playoffs, because the added revenue cannot be dismissed, but it was the wrong call for the future. Everyone could see that team were dogs going nowhere. They weren’t going to win shit. Teams just don’t pull the plug. It’s a gutsy move.

While the pending UFA status of players would tend to pull down offers, it doesn’t always happen that way. This past season, in almost a similar situation. We got two seconds for Gill and Andrei. With how good Timmins drafts, something good would have come of it.

64. rhino514 says:

Like Parenteau, but we need someone on the other wing. Does anyone have a list of the good left wing UFAs out there? Curious to see what we have to work with.

65. Habitant in Surrey says:

…how are the Als looking ?

66. temekuhabs says:

All depends though about the Cap and where it’s at, plus what happens CBA wise

67. temekuhabs says:

Problem is with UFAs some GM always overpays

68. rhino514 says:

I personally will be pulling for Desharnais in the coming year like no other hab…and I really appreciate Pleks and appreciate Eller´s potential as well. DD is the only good homegrown player we have had in years and it would be a travesty to lose him. If he can reach 65 points or so he may just make it real difficult for his bosses to get rid of him. Then again, if Eller improves on his point and goal total whilst playing on the third line, it could be bad news for DD. Eller is the weakest player of the three but he is also seen as the player with the most upside. He is also the most difficult hab to project; no one really knows how good he is going to be.
    In the end, it´s sad that one of the three centres will have to go…unless they start Galchenyuk on the wing for a year(did I read somewhere he plays right wing as well?). I just hope we get really good value for whoever leaves.

• dhenry1234 says:

I think if DD stays with Cole and Max all year he could actually put up a solid 70 points.

• rhino514 says:

I think it would actually be good for DD NOT to play with Cole and Max Pac all year so as not to have the excuse of having his production boosted by playing with the two best forwards on the team.

• Lizardking89 says:

Eller is a 3rd line player nothing more. That trade looks worse every season.

• rhino514 says:

If some team sees Eller as a top six, which some probably do, and provided a real good winger in return, I would take that. He looks to be the sort of guy who may be real good one day, but I have this feeling it will take a few seasons, maybe 3 or 4. He seems to lack the character, for want of a better word, which makes for explosive growth. Don´t mean that in a bad way, nice kid and all. But why wait it out so long? Just to prove we got good value for Halak?

• Lizardking89 says:

I like the kid but when I think about what we gave up for him… If the goat was a competent GM we could have gotten more but there’s no use dwelling on it now.

• NCRhabsfan says:

Oh forget about it already. We gave up a back-up goalie, nothing more. A third line centre is a pretty good return for that. No one was going to trade Jordan Stall or even Susan Stall for Halak.

69. temekuhabs says:

Parenteau would be a good signing, hopefully he will play here, put him with Pleks and Gionta

70. temekuhabs says:

Galenychuk WILL spend another year in Sarnia

71. Habzfan says:

Can someone please explain to me why so many people think trading Plex (arguably our best forward) and definately our best centre is a good idea. Doesn’t make any sense unless it’s in a package for a big name player.

• habstrinifan says:

Cause your premise “best forward/best centre” doesnt stand up to last season’s facts.

• Lizardking89 says:

So because he had a bad season we should throw him away? I remember this team doing that with another player and it didn’t work out well for the Habs..Michel Ryder.

• habstrinifan says:

No I didnt say that. I said exactly what you said in your post below on many occasions… Pleks is the player we get best return for based on his market value. The categorization of Pleks as ‘the best’ is an injustice to DD…. which everyone keeps doing.

• Lizardking89 says:

Well we’ll see what happens next year but because DD had one great season doesn’t mean he’s our best center. If he can consistently put up great numbers like that then I would agree. Pleks has been a great home grown talent over the years. He hasn’t been the most consistent player but he’s been one of our best. If DD can put up great numbers next year then I think Pleky is expendable. By that time Galy should be ready to step in.

• Five straight 20 goals+ seasons followed by 17 is my definition of consistent. Numbers don’t tell the whole story, but give Pleks consistent wingers and he’ll produce consistent results.

• martincurran55 says:

Ryder didn’t have a bad season with the Habs. Carbonneau didn’t like him and benched him and gave him a diminished role with a lot less TOI. Ryder was always a sniper. Carbo is a tool.

• Like the fact that he had about ten points less than DD while playing with nine different wingers. Desharnais couldn’t have done that. He was sheltered on a line with big wingers. Without them, how would he have done? Plekanec would have had 70 points playing with those two. TP is a very accountable two-way forward who can be given any assignment on the ice at any time and in any situation. His number don’t tell the whole story.

• Lizardking89 says:

Out of all our centers he would fetch the most assets in return if they traded him. I don’t think they should. I would move DD before Pleks because his value is pretty high right now. Pleks is our best center hands down. He can play the PK, the pp and he’s probably one of the best (and most underrated) 2 way centers in the league.

72. habstrinifan says:

When did Colorado resign Shane O’Brien. He’s off the UFA list and I see in capgeek he is signed now for 4 yrs at approx 2mill plus.

PG (not MB he couldnt do anything this year so far) blew this one last year. And O’Brien has now gained a whole lot of standing in Colorado.

73. Lazarus_taxa says:

I’m hearing the same uninformed arguments about Parenteau that we heard when we signed Cole. I think Parenteau would be an amazing addition for many reasons, but the main reason is his friendship with Desharnais. I saw a nice interview with both of them last season and they both have had the same tough road to the NHL, yet are the most down to earth, humble and classy dudes. I would give 3-5 million (or whatever they are saying it would be) to Parenteau over Jagr and Semin ANY day based on his heart and determination alone. These are the types of veterans needed to guide the youth movement. Oh, and by the way, the intelligence level of the discussion today is at an all time low.

EDIT: And he’s Quebecois.