Gainey, Fergy Jr.: A tale of two GMS

David Shoalts of the Globe and Mail has this interesting look at the situations of Toronto Maple Leafs GM John Ferguson Jr. compared to his counterpart in Montreal, Bob Gainey. Not a pretty picture in the Queen City…

1. Woah_Dana says:

Sadly I’ll miss part of the game because I’m working until 8pm but I’ll be all eyes over here on the forums. I’m gonna try to get a stream online.

I have faith in this one. Tomorrow night, we make it very apparent that it’s winter – good Canadien hockey with dead ‘leafs’ everywhere….

GO HABS!

2. Woah_Dana says:

Lol.. uhh.. fajita chivichunga?
    I got nothin.

GO HABS!

3. joel says:

great article, but it failed to mention 3 other factors that Gainey has to deal with that JFJ does not and that is politics, language and taxation. If JFJ had those hurdles i just wonder how much of a worse situation the Leafs would be in.

4. showey47 says:

Ah yes, the closing the eyes and shaking the fist thing. I wonder if he knows how dumb he looks. But i do prefer the ” i have the pin but who has the grenade?” look he has when the laffs are getting smoked. Here’s to hoping he is holding the pin on tuesday night.

5. El Guapo says:

Gainey es muy macho, Ferguson no es bueno, Dana es woah!

6. Woah_Dana says:

Haha, or better yet on the rare occassion that the Laffs do win & the camera pans on Fergy, it’s the same reaction every time. He closes his eyes & does that fist shake.. & you can just tell he isn’t thinking “Yes, we won! I love my team!” but is thinking “Yes, my job might be safe for another week!”

GO HABS!

7. showey47 says:

Woah dana, i totally agree. When the camera pans on him, usually after a laff blunder he looks like he is about ready to “off” himself.

8. Woah_Dana says:

GO HABS!

9. Woah_Dana says:

I enjoyed this article. Thanks for posting.

You know, I was just thinking the other day – when I see a Leafs game & the camera pans over to Ferguson, the first question that crosses my mind is.. “Does that man even like hockey??” How can you put everything you’ve got into a job like this if the passion isn’t there? He totally lacks that spark.
    It takes time and careful craftwork to build a solid team, as Gainey knows & as we’ve seen with our own boys.

I think Ferguson just looks at names & $$ & hopes for the best.

But I don’t know much about hockey management so, eh 🙂

GO HABS!

10. habitual says:

Statement in the Globe article:

“They both have mediocre current situations,” said one NHL executive, who wished to remain anonymous.”

Oh, really? Even with the loss to the Senators today the Habs have 21 points and there are about 25 other teams behind them. This is mediocrity?

And, the depth of the farm system and prospects are widely acknowledged as amongst the best in the league. I guess the reason the NHL executive who made that comment wants to remain anonymous is that he doesn’t want to be laughed out of his job.

Quibbles with the rating of Scout B: He rates the resigning of Markov as 2.5, Hamrlyk as a 1.0, and Ryder as a 4.0. Wonder if Scout B is rated to anonymous NHL exec.

11. yathehabsrule says:

I figure the “unamed” execs/scouts quoted in the article are from the Leafs organization.

Funny with the Leafs being the #1 financial NHL team according to Forbes, ownership clearly has no sense of how to actually run a “hockey team”….Why?

This article might answer that question:

12. RetroMikey says:

Nice post Dave! Went for breakfast this morning and picked up the Globe and Mail sport section on the rack to read this interesting article. Credit has to go to Andre Savard also. Will keep this article with me at the office to show all my co-workers who are Maple Laffs supporters and shut them up for awhile. 🙂

“We will win the Cup only with Carey Price in the nets”

13. showey47 says:

Just another example of how our organization is light years ahead of the laffs. We are looking at the big picture of being competitive long term and developing chemistry from within, while the laffs are short sighted and tunnel visioned and just throwing away draft picks and money hoping for a winner.