Gabriel Dumont assigned to Bulldogs

dumont

The cuts continue at Canadiens training camp on Tuesday. Forward Gabriel Dumont was assigned to the Hamilton Bulldogs after appearing in four of the team’s six preaseason games.

The 21-year-old Dumont was drafted by the Canadiens in the fifth round, 139th overall, in the 2009 NHL entry draft. Last season, in 64 games with the Bulldogs, the centre scored five goals and added 13 assists.

There are still 39 players at camp, including eleven players sidelined because of injuries: Andrei Markov, Travis Moen, Hunter Bishop, David Desharnais, Brendon Nash, Lars Eller, Olivier Fortier, Louis Leblanc, Joonas Nattinen, Ryan White and Ian Schultz.
The Hamilton Bulldogs’ training camp got underway today at the Bell Sports Complex in Brossard.

1. The Cat says:

An 8 game suspension on Wiz is a blackmark on him? Yeah I bet he never recovers from that.

2. ooder says:

great post on TSN by AlexPrice11… on Markov

Why so serious??? Markov is a player with class, an all star and a player that has always been a Hab…The Habs have class and wanted Markov to remain with them whether he was fragile or not. Bobby Orr had bad knees and he ended up closing out his career in Chicago. Orr gave hi sall to the Bruins where he was the dynamic defenceman we all knew..He was my favorite player and it carved his heart when the Bruins let him walk…Imagine???? That is really low class……Having said that, this won’t happen to Markov…If it doesn’t pan out, the salary is written off and there is no cap hit…Gamble?? Maybe to some people’s perception but Andrei is a warrior and deserves the respect from the organization he gave his heart to. Remember, what goes around comes around…People unhappy about the WIZ gone…look no further, already 8 games suspension and a black mark on him by Mr Shanahan. I would take Markov over the Wiz any day even on one leg..The Wiz was nothing untill he became a HAB…he wanted way too much $$$$ for 4 months of work in the organization…Markov deserves every penny because of his tenur…Thank you!

——————
    The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• avatar_58 says:

Let’s be 100% fair now – I LOVE me some Markov. The guy is an eternal hab and I hope he retires as such. Class, attitude and skill. If it weren’t for that damned injury and his contract ending when it did he would be the captain right now.

However if I remove my emotional attachment it doesn’t make sense for the team to keep hoping for his health to keep up. How many seasons have we watched go down the tubes because we “hoped” Markov would come back? Imagine last years playoffs with Markov and patches? Imagine the miracle run if he NEVER went down (chills, that cup was ours…)

My hope? I hope he comes back game one and proves everyone wrong, showing the injury hasn’t slowed him down at all. I hope he has a norris worthy season and makes all the doubters eat crow.

Reality, unfortunately, has be thinking he won’t be the same.

• ooder says:

the thing is, the team has learned to not rely on Markov as much anymore, which is a good thing for the team:
        since we know have the depth to play without him
        remember the days of Dandenault and Souray lol
        it is also good for Markov since he isn’t carrying this herculean load of work.
        now our d is younger and faster.
        so if he does get injured at least we have some cap space and his presence is a great plus.
        however if he is healthy (hopefully) then our team is that much better.
        also hockey is a game of emotions and I think showing loyalty and trust to a player is something that is so rare that it’s nice to see that touch of class from our organization.
        ——————
        The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• HardHabits says:

Thanks for sharing that.

I must also add that you are certainly a trooper to have the courage and the tenacity to scour and dreg through TSN’s comments like that. Miring through all that muck to find that little gem.

• ooder says:

it’s unreal what some of the stuff they let people post…
        all it is is complete immature trolling 85% of the time but sometimes something good comes up.. such as this

——————
        The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• Seps says:

Thats a great post but you gotta change your signature. Just because we don’t like a team at all doesn’t mean you can say they were given the cup. The stanley cup in my mind is the toughest trophy to win in sports and it is never given. It was well earned by Boston the bounces were just going their way (for instance the game 7 goal against Montreal) but to win the Cup everything has to be going your way because the battle is that intense and that close that it could go either way.

• ooder says:

meh.. i put that signature shortly after bruins won the cup
        guess i was still pissed that Chara broke Pacioretty’s neck and it was A-ok
        and Boychuk broke Raymond’s back and it was A-ok
        but Rome hits Horton a quarter of a second to late and it’s hand across the NHL’s front office
        ——————
        The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• Seps says:

And don’t forget the unpenalized interference hit on Halpern, the unpunished middle finger and the endless kicking out of Habs centermen, resulting in a FOL leading to the game 7 goal , but in the end (as much as I can’t stand them) the Bruins still had to win 16 tough games just like any other team would’ve had to.

• rink-rat says:

why is that a great post? it is incorrect as the Bruins offered Orr a contract, they even went as far as offering Orr a percentage of the hockey team.. Orr was rail roaded by Eagleson and not the Bruins

• Bill H says:

If the Habs resigned Markov because he has class, then Koivu would still be a Hab. It has nothing to do with class and everything to do with what PG and Molson thought he could do for the club, on the ice, for the duration of the contract. It is, after all, a business.

3. habs001 says:

too bad you dont get a draft pick for finishing last in the exhibition games standings lol ..right now based on the number of games we have played we are 30th…while we all know that exhibition games are meaningless it is interesting that the teams that are projected to do well this year have a good exhibition record or have played very few games…

4. habsoloutly says:

Delusional post of the day award goes to this Leaf fan, who posted this gem on the TSN comments after the Leafs beat the Sens tonight:

“There is no way we miss the playoffs this year. Top 6 is one of the best in the NHL, defense…well what can you say but amazing. And goaltending potentially vezina quality. Cmon Ron pull this thing together with some chemistry adn we’ll be playing late in to may at least.”

:lol:

Yeah that’s right Mr. Habs Hockey dealer. You think you got me hooked on your cheap stuff that you gave me for free but I am not going through any withdrawals. No way Baby. I’m OK. No need to see any Habs hockey for me. I can wait. I am not even going cold turkey. No shakes or shivers. Not me. There’s no monkey on my back.

Now excuse me while I go sniff up some highlights from some other teams pre-season games.

6. habs001 says:

we will still have many 2-1 type games as we have spacek,gill and gorges on d who can generate very little offensive support for our forwards and weber,diaz and yemelin are offensive question marks on d…many teams will match are offensive production from the d and even a team like the leafs will probably get as much production from their d on offense as we do…

7. SmartDog says:

Worth a read – the ‘Campoli’ article posted by Habsoloutly (below) also has a good round-up of WHO’s LEFT IN CAMP, and the INJURY STATUS of players:

I don’t care about losing pre-season games. It’s true we’re icing fewer veterans (and many of our veterans are depth guys) and good the club gets to take a long look at our developing players.

One guy who’s benefited from this I think is Diaz who seems to be getting better, and maybe even Blunden who I wish was just a bit more in-your-face but he does seem to bring some crash and bang which is nice to see. Anyone else have thoughts on the less talked-about guys?
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

8. krob1000 says:

I have a very cool homework assignment for a techy nerd out there…..an idea I have not yet seen and was just wondering why? Why are there no cross league hockey pools…..I mean a 25 round deep pool where you can pick NHLplayers, CHL players, KHl players, Ahl players and just count them all the same…straight up 1 point per goal and 1 point per assist…..it would be cool to be able to draft your teams farm kids or up and comers based on their leagues but in the same pool as the big leaguers and have them be worthwhile and in some cases top picks…just a thought but it sure would broaden the average joe’s hockey knowledge if they were following all of these stats and it would be an awesome way to keep tabs on prospects,etc.
    Now run nerd run with my suggestion…..and let me sign up.

• Duracell3 says:

I don’t think it would work very well, especially considering the discrepancy in games played; unless you had it where each participant has to choose like, 1 winger from the AHL, 1 D from the KHL, 1 Goalie from the CHL, 1 Centre from the ECHL, etc. style. with the AHL and ECHL you also have the problems of how to count callups. Do-able, but seems like a pain.

• krob1000 says:

no…choose how you want…there are still 100 point guys in the ohl…maybe they are a top pick…you could actually get screwed thoguh by them making the world juniors or getting the call up…it would be a pain for the scorer as points would all be points…let’s say a guy like gallagher gets 50points in the whl , then 23 in hamilton and 6 with the big club…..he is a 79 pointer….it is your choice who you pick….it would be a difficult score job but a fun pool …

Do you draft the Nuge early thinking he’ll get 100 in the W or do you take him inthe 20th round because he’ll ony score 35 points with the Oilers?

• hirky says:

I am with Duracell, I think it is do-able but I think it would make sense to force poolies to take ‘X’ amount of guys from each league. That way each GM would be forced to have players from each league. It would stop a GM from taking all NHL guys, while a rival GM took CHL/KHL guys. I wouldn’t cap the total from a given league but just force GM’s to take at least 1 from each. It would also help those poolies who maybe dont follow junior or KHL, if they only had to take 1 guy from say the ‘Q’ i am sure a few names would ring a bell.

This is a ground breaking idea…get Mark Zuckerberg to draw you up an algorithm to run the stats. Pitch the idea to OfficePools to look after it all to save time. Get Google to put up a $1 million prize and lets do this thing. I got dibs on Nate Beaulieu, because he is going to light it up this year again wherever he plays.

• ProHabs says:

This is the “Moneyball” of hockey pools Krob. Stats, stats and stats. You should make a movie about this pool idea. Which actor would play you, Brad Pitt or Macauley Calkin.

• ooder says:

well i’m not a techy nerd but i do do web development
      issue with what you propose is that sites for the AHL, OHL and other leagues below the NHL are not the most reliable or well made.
      thus data mining them for stats can very tedious
      ——————
      The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

9. ProHabs says:

Nice to see Shanny doing a good job so far with the discipline. I wonder if he thought he was going to be thrown into the fire so quickly though.

It is such a bonus to see that Shanny knows the rule book and explains all of his decisions. It just makes it sooo obvious what a bumbling idiot Colon Campbell was. I swear, he had no idea what the rules were and was making shite up as he went.

As for Dumont, he actually had a decent camp. I think he outplayed all the others (Palusha, Trottier, Enquist) that are fighting for a spot.

• savethepuck says:

The first thing that went through Colie’s mind when someone came before him was “will it affect Greggie’s chances of winning a Stanley Cup?”. then he made his decisions based on that.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• ProHabs says:

Ha, so true savethepuck. If I even run into Colon, I would definately put him on the spot for some of the idiotic decisions that he made. It was a disgrace to the NHL what he did last year. No wonder players in the NHL don’t hesitate anymore to try and kill each other on the ice.

10. C_exacte says:

what’s that stickman doing to the canadian tire logo in that picture?

11. habsoloutly says:

Campoli says he’s happy to be with the Habs, and Price is the first NHL goalie to get an endorsement with Under Armour:

12. Duracell3 says:

I didn’t even know this was a rule

• Trisomy 21 says:

I heard of the rule, I didn’t know it was an automatic suspension, and one so hefty.
      However Duco is a real turkey, I saw him play just the other day, he goes around trying to hurt. I can tell right now this guy should be taken out of the league before anyone allows for him to have a full time roster spot. Think of how Torres played in the post season, but full-time. Mat Cooke but always on. He’s cursed with Shmuckness

• Matt. says:

It wasn’t really under Colin Campbell’s watch

• HardHabits says:

What’s crazy is the jump in severity of the suspensions. If this keeps up during the regular season I foresee a better product within two years and the Habs could very will be rewarded for sticking to their speed game.

However, a little size and grit never hurt. Unless of course it’s the opponent.

• darcy1 says:

Isn’t that why we signed Moen? Don’t get my wrong, I like the guy and think does his job well.. We just need someone else (Ryan White?) to do the same thing all year long.

——————-
        The Bruins are the “Starley Cup Champians”?? I’m cool with that.

13. cuzzie says:

So ESPN comes out with the obvious. City of Losers! TSN and Sportscrap predict- laffs will make the playoffs.Ha!Ha!Ha! Raptors will play half their home games in Buffalo. Buffalo tells them to EFF OFF!
    Argos will change their name to Arnot. Blue Jays will keep up with tradition and continue losing. The soccer team, they have a soccer team? Tsn and Sportscrap will still pollute the airwaves with their love for these teams,because they are Canada’s Team. NEVER!! You can kiss my hairy arse!
    Stay Thirsty My Friends!

14. Hobie Hansen says:

Good move on the Canadiens part by signing Campoli. If Markov ever comes back and Campoli ends up being our 5th or 6th defenseman, that’s pretty decent.

I remember Campoli putting up some points during a hot streak here or there, back with this Islanders, and was a bit surprised he has bounced around and never developed into a solid 2nd PP or top four defenseman.

Maybe there’s still time for him to pick it up a notch and step it up it in Montreal and become a top four defender? Or maybe Martin and company can work their magic and having him shutting down Crosby in the playoffs?

I think the Campoli signing is better than just a band-aid solution.

• Bripro says:

His rookie year was his best stats-wise.
      Brian Wilde covered him tonight on CTV, and they didn’t show much, but what you saw, and the players’ reactions, it seems encouraging.

• --Habs-- says:

I think Campoli is a good insurance pickup. 1.75 is pocket change these days. Diaz will be sent down.. I still think Yemelin is a little ice shy and will improve drastically as time goes on. He hasn’t been terrible defensively and everyone is complaining simply because he’s not hitting or jumping in offensively. Give him a chance! He also may be a little out of shape not used to the competition for spots in the NHL coming into training camp. At least thats been the rumor from our french commentators on RDS who say he’s carrying a little extra weight.

• Bripro says:

You have to wonder also, he’s away from home, in a foreign land and not that old. I’m sure communication for now is a problem, and it’s gotta be a mood buster. I’m hoping Markov will really get in there and help him out.

• Stev.R says:

I hope Marky does too, but I wonder just how shy Markov is. Maybe he doesn’t speak to anyone. Though he has been more open since Gomer and Cammy are on the team and who knows what happens behind closed doors.

• Matt. says:

And as DBG pointed out, you can trade him at the deadline to the Senators for a first round pick.

15. Habitant in Surrey says:

…this is ‘strange’ & funny …at least it is to Me
    …I have the HIO app on My Ipod Touch …as You whom have the same know, there is a ‘Push’ option that gives scores and game updates on The Habs
    …further, I have also long had RDS’ app with similar ‘Push’ notices (which update PROMPTLY)
    …My Touch is always on, so it wasn’t because I just opened it
    …2 minutes ago (4:10 PM PST, today/Tuesday) I heard the ‘ping’ announcing a ‘push’ …advising ‘HIO Final score Mtl 1 Bos 2′
    …c’mon Tech Freaks at the Gazoo/HIO …Your idea of ‘timely’ (22 hours late !) and My own, are Worlds Apart !
    …Luv Ya HIO ! …Really, I duz …but Yooz Guyz MUST be smokin’ some serious weed in Your basement …OR Boonz just ain’t payins Y’all e’nuf

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

16. Bill J says:

My appologies if I missed it, but is Gallagher still with the team ?

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

• Bill J says:

Cool, drafted him in last round of my hockey pool, 2nd to last pick overall behind Beaulieu.

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

• Hobie Hansen says:

I hope it’s a keep league cuz Beaulieu isn’t going to play an NHL game this season and Gallagher has a small chance of playing nine games before being sent back to the WHL?

I’m pretty sure those are the circumstances?

• Bill J says:

Hail Mary pick, and yes keeper league.

Beaulieu was dropped I believe.

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

• Trisomy 21 says:

Seriously? I would have laughed at the homerism if someone did this. Unless this goes on for more than one season? I can’t see them playing into a contract this year.

• Bill J says:

Nice. Maybe you should not assume too much, 2nd to last pick means the only thing better is UFA pickup. Which I can easily do.

Perhaps you should consider the circumstances, as I posted it after all.

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

• Trisomy 21 says:

You didn’t post any circumstances before I replied…

Perhaps you should maybe you should look at the time lines? maybe… you…. should.

• Stev.R says:

Couple years ago in my playoff draft a guy drafted Gregory Stewart just because he beat up Mcabe in the last game of the season.

• --Habs-- says:

They won’t cut him until the last possible moment…. He’s young, exiting and fun to watch. Now some may say remember Latendresse but this kid is much more fun to watch than Latendresse and his hands in tight spots remind me a lot of Marchand.

• SmartDog says:

Funny I was thinking that. He’s like a non-douchbag Marchand. Which of course is a bit of an oxymoron. But, you know.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• HardHabits says:

I still can’t get over Starley Cup Champiars. He deserves that.

• Bill J says:

Lord Stanley is pissed, 100 years from now it will be called “The Starley Cup Curse”, as they will not have won another cup since the Starley Cup.

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

• HardHabits says:

Maybe he thought he was a drunken sailor or a pirate that night.

Arrrrr, matey. Thar be a fine Starley Cup Champiar if I ever sar one.

17. Sean Bonjovi says:

James Wisniewski won’t get paid for the first 8 games this season, but do the Blue Jackets keep the money, or does the team give to some third party?

“Andrei Kostitsyn is a better hockey player than Max Pacioretty”
    - Sean Bonjovi

12 out by my count!, 5 starters for sure.

Markov, Subban, Moen, Bishop, Desharnais, Nash, Eller, Fortier, Leblanc, Nattinen, White and Schultz.

At this rate we are going to have to have two players assigned to each roster spot, just to ice a team.

What is going on? . Have these players over trained, to lean, no fat for muscle absorption. What?? Hang nails??

19. avatar_58 says:

Forgiveness if it’s already been asked, but Campoli or Hamrlik?

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Hamr signed in Washington for twice as much money/ year for twice as many years.

“Andrei Kostitsyn is a better hockey player than Max Pacioretty”
      - Sean Bonjovi

• avatar_58 says:

Is money everything? Will Markov go down again and not be able to play next year right away, thus requiring ANOTHER 6th-7th d-man UFA signing?

Honestly all decisions should have been made based on whether Gorges and Markov were 100% healthy. Not based on “hey IF they are good think of the team!”

The hell with that noise, I’m going to very annoyed if Markov doesn’t play all month or if he is seriously compromised.

• Chrisadiens says:

I would love Hammer for one year over Campoli. Too bad that wasn’t an option. Nice spin though.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• HardHabits says:

At one year or two and for how much? Two years for Hammer at any cost seems like too much.

• kempie says:

I said Hamr based on a 1 yr. deal at what he’s making in WAS compared to what Campo is making for 1 yr.

• mbplekfan says:

Hamr wouldnt take one year and quite frankly, between Gill, Spacek and Hamrlik that’s too many core D over 35…

• Chrisadiens says:

Hammer:
          LENGTH: 2 YEAR(S) VALUE: $7,000,000

Campoli:
          LENGTH: 1 YEAR(S) VALUE: $1,750,000

See the difference?

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• avatar_58 says:

I like Hamr but I’m glad they didn’t resign him…….WHEN they didn’t need him. Now it seems they need more d-men because either Markov or Subban isn’t ready. In that case it would have been better to give Hamr what he wanted.

We’ll see though. Maybe Campoli has a career year, who knows.

• Stev.R says:

This time last year everyone was ready to kill to get rid of Hamr. Short term memory some people have

• Stuck_in_To. says:

I read Avatar’s question as having an implied “all things beign equal” clause which makes all these known facts and weighing of them boring. Hammer or Campoli?

Hammer.

Add in the facts and numbers and we have the current reality. Whatever. But all things being equal, to have a one year deal with a D man whom we might need “in case of emergency” and I’d take Hammer.

20. Sharks9 says:

Pretty good preview by Pierre LeBrun on the Habs

25 before 14

21. savethepuck says:

In the mid 70′s, I lived in Trenton Ont.. There was an article in the Toronto Star then entiled “Toronto, The City That Loves Losers”. It said basically the same thing. The Leafs sucked, the Blue Jays were a new franchise so they also sucked. The Argos were a basement dweller as well. That article said basically the same thing. All these teams were losing but the games were always sold out. It also questioned why any of the organizations had any reason to put a winning team in front of their fans, because they were willing to pay to see mediocrity. Being a Habs fan, an Expos fan, and a Ti-Cats fan. I always loved that story.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

22. Bripro says:

I tried HB, I really did. I got to line 5 and then
    “Brian Burke, the Toronto Maple Leafs’ president and general manager (and probably the best executive in the NHL)”
    That was it for me.
    I guess brain cramps are common in good old GTA.
    No offence, Chris1138 (and whoever else supports the habs out of Toronto)

• Sean Bonjovi says:

you missed this part of the story then:
      “Our current Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, is legitimately an expert on the history of the game; the only reason he hasn’t finished his book on the early days of the NHL is that he’s been busy running the country. The history of the game and the history of the country are much the same thing: You can trace the rise of Quebec separatism, for example, to the Rocket Richard riots in 1955. ”

“Andrei Kostitsyn is a better hockey player than Max Pacioretty”
      - Sean Bonjovi

23. habsoloutly says:

My favorite line from the Leaf story:

” The Leafs’ major source of hope seems to be Brian Burke himself, but when the major source of your dreams is a front-office guy, you are in a dark place. Cheering a GM, to me, is hitting rock bottom.”

So sad, and so true.

• shiram says:

Too late in the day for me to read that wall of text, but the first paragraph was funny enough.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• HabFanSince72 says:

Good stuff but this doesn’t speak much for the author’s knowledge of sports:

Brian Burke, the Toronto Maple Leafs’ president and general manager (and probably the best executive in the NHL) called the ranking, “absurd and offensive”

• shiram says:

I thought that was sarcastic.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

Actually I don’t think he was being sarcastic, the writer is from Toronto. Later in article makes comment that the sign of how bad leafs are is that fans are cheering for the GM!

Sadly, even this writer in making fun of the Leafs, shows that indeed he is a stupid leaf fan.

• kanbei says:

The only thing I can take issue with other than the Burke comment is the reference to the mayor being suitable for a town of 20000. I’m fairly certain that Ford would ham-fistedly mismanage a small town as effectively as he has done with Toronto.

• Bill J says:

kanbei:

Burke would trade the CN Tower and the Hockey Hall of Fame to Boston if he was mayor of Toronto.

And likely only get the naming rights to “Toronto Cream” donuts in return.

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

• Chris1138 says:

As a Torontonian, that is an incredibly depressing article about my city. Ugh.

–| Brad Marchand | Starley Cup Chanpiar 2011 |–

• jo_maka says:

”The bush-league spirit that infects Toronto’s hockey also infects the rest of the city. We are a big, nasty, rich city that insists on acting like a small town. ”

And the defense rests its case.
      _________________________________
      Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture