‘Funnest’ game ever for Habs’ Gallagher

Canadiens rookie Brendan Gallagher wasn’t sure if he played his best game ever in Wednesday’s thrilling 6-5 shootout win over the Bruins in Boston, but he did call it the “funnest.”

Gallagher scored once in regulation time and added the winner in the shootout.

“He shows a lot of character by going to the dirty places and competing,” Josh Gorges, who has Gallagher living at his home, told reporters after the game. “He gets hacked and he gets whacked and cross-checked and he’s still going to the front of the net.”

Gorges added that Gallagher should be the favourite to win the Calder Trophy as rookie of the year.

“I don’t know if there are many rookies who have the impact he has on our team,” Gorges said.

Canadiens coach Michel Therrien gave his players a well-deserved day off Thursday. They will practice at 11 a.m. Friday in Brossard as they prepare to face the New York Rangers Saturday at the Bell Centre (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

After reports were swirling during the Canadiens-Bruins game that the Calgary Flames were going to trade Jarome Iginla to Boston, he ended up going to the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for a pair of forwards, Yale’s Kenneth Agostino and St. Cloud State’s Ben Hanowski, and a first-round draft pick.

(Photo by Michael Dwyer/The Associated Press)

Canadiens beat Bruins in shootout, by Pat Hickey

Habs show a lot of character, by Pat Hickey

Flames deal Iginla to Penguins, by Postmedia News

Penguins acquire Iginla from Calgary, by Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Canadiens vs. Bruins photo gallery

Bruins fall to Canadiens in ugly fashion, by Boston Globe

Kick to the face, followed by kick to the gut for Bruins, by Boston.com

Bruins’ Chara carries a big stick, by Stu Cowan

Habs prospects on display at NCAA tourney, by Pat Hickey

Captain Gionta praises Habs coach Therrien, by Stu Cowan

Leafs win 45 consecutive Cups, by Pat Hickey

Pilote was heart of the ‘Hawks, by Dave Stubbs

It’s hard to stay healthy in today’s NHL, by Stu Cowan

Lightning rookie Conacher has something in common with Habs’ Gallagher, by Stu Cowan

1,374 Comments

1. Gerald;

True North must be making a killing.

Amazing work.

I took Matthew last week to see the TB game.

Section 119, row 11, Seat 5&6 $450.00
    HotDogs and drinks- 26.00
    Gas- 50.00

Not going to be going to too many games there, maybe one more this year. But Matthew had a blast, and it ok entertainment.

The fans are missing out on the side show big time.

If they spent one game in the Bell or Xcel center they would understand.

Our pre-game entertainment, intermission entertainment, and arenas blow MTS Center away (they’re suppose to).

Even Xcel is almost as good as the Bell.

It’s worth the trip to watch a game in St Paul!!

I am hoping to get a Habs game in Winnipeg next month, but I won’t be able to wear my jersey and cheer for them. Too many psychos, and I can’t afford to to take any accidental hits. Otherwise I wouldn’t care.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

Yah sure isn’t cheap to go to games there is it. Shane, do you really think you can’t wear a Habs jersey to a Jets game? I remember growing up there I went to at least 1 Habs game vs. Wpg every year and over a 1/3rd of the crowd was in Habs sweaters. Can’t believe people would treat you bad because of that. I realize the dynamics have changed, but can’t believe it isn’t safe to wear a CH to a game in the Peg.

• otter649 says:

Winnipeg’s first game back in The NHL was against Montreal & was televised on CBC lotsa Hab Sweators were seen on TV as everytime there was a crowd shoot a Habs sweator(s) was seen……

• The and Now is completely different.

When I went Habs games there (the Barn) in the 90’s the entire arena was blue blanc et rouge, they were all young like me or original six fans.

Now all the fans are in their 40’s-60’s and are actual Jets fans, where as before they were Habs/Leafs/Bruins fans watching Jets games.

We all said it. For 83 games a year we’ll cheer for the Jets, maybe 82 games, I can’t remember how many times Montreal use to come.

Amazing times those Jets were! Good memories.

Shane Oliver
        Twitter @Sholi2000
        Custom Sports Figures

• I even took my seat covers down as I parked the Red Beast! You heard stories of people spitting on cars, and keying paint. It was in the papers and social media.

Shane Oliver
        Twitter @Sholi2000
        Custom Sports Figures

• Ian Cobb says:

Wear your Hab sweater Shane! it will protect you my friend!

2. L Elle says:

Iginla and the Penguins.

A woman wearing big diamond earrings, huge diamond necklace, rows of diamond bracelets on each arm, and major carats on all fingers.

Too much, no?

It’s going to be interesting. If Pens pull this off, it will be one of the very rare times, that the favourite would actually win.

Weren’t you dressed the same way for the Dogs/Marlies game we went to in Hamilton? :) Morning L

Hey by the way, I hear JB and Cal are producing a new Gilligan’s Island, they are presently making casting calls for Ginger and MaryAnne, I sent JB your portfolio to review for the role.

• L Elle says:

Mornin’! Yeah, and I had even left the good stuff at home. ;)

As for JB and Cal, I’m suing them for copyright infringement.
        Yes you, post below me Mr. JB. My version of Gilligan’s Island parody precedes yours.

But if you put me in your new show, we’ll call it even. :)

• JohnBellyful says:

['Hi, Cal? JB here. Looks like we have a problem. Well, you do, my parody wasn't a song. But I'll stand by you, buddy. Anyways, L says she won't sue us if we put her in the new show. What do you want to do? Really? You think she'd go for it? Yeah, I suppose so, with a little bit of makeup. Okay, then. Since it was your idea, you call her up. I think you're right, though. As Mrs. Lovey Howell, she'll get to dress up like she's going to a Bulldogs game every show. Let me know how it works out.' ]

• JohnBellyful says:

Are you saying Iginla will be a flash in the Pen (lineup)?

• JohnBellyful says:

Thanks, Burl’.
      The semi-nude pics were unexpected but tastefully done. (Are you sure those are the ones L wanted you to send? BTW, Cal, you said you’d have them back to me this morning.)
      Anyways, I’m still not clear, which character L is auditioning for, Ginger or Mary Anne. Please advise.

3. Captain aHab says:

OK so now you’re Dan Bylsma. Little pressure to win, no? ;-D

Can you imagine a first round exit with that team?

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• Whatever says:

I think that’s part of the job description for any NHL coach, seeing that they get fired so often. “Coach of the year? I just want to be coach for the year.” Pat Burns.

4. Old Bald Bird says:

Why do I think that if there is a trade, it will be a viable hockey trade and that it will involve Eller? This thought makes me sad, but if it brought the right assets … well … that’s what trades are supposed to do.

• kerrgte says:

Nope, Eller isn’t going anywhere. Maybe an inconsequential pick or two, and a non-producer off the roster – but not Eller.

You have to give up something to get something.

Of overriding importance is the team is always a work in progress, and improvement is paramount.

Don’t be sad – have a beer.

• habstrinifan says:

I really believe that trading Eller at this time would upset the team dynamics/chemistry. I think the young guys like Galchenyuk and Gallagher see in Eller, somewhat, a reflection of themselves. High skills with big learning curve still. Trade a pick and prospects not someone like Eller. In fact I think if … no I wont go there this morning…

• Clay says:

DD. He could be traded, IMO, with not much problem. That is, if someone wants him.

__________________________
        ☞ The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard Feynman ☜

• Captain aHab says:

If Eller goes, it will be in a package for a very very good player. Certainly not a rental.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• Ian Cobb says:

Bald Bird!
      Can you tell me who you are please!
      I think I know but not sure my friend!

Good Friday!
    I had my feet washed at church last night with 11 other fellas! My skates are sharp and I am ready to go! Maybe I can take Prust or Bourke’s spot up front! Or take Emilin’s spot and clean house.

6. commandant says:

I still believe that if this team makes an addition it will be a defenceman, not a forward

We only have 5 defencemen that our coach trusts right now.

Diaz is still not skating.

Even if Diaz is healthy, teams don’t go on long playoff runs using only 6 D. Injuries happen. We need at least a reliable 7th D. If Diaz is not healthy, we need two bodies.

These don’t have to be huge deals. Just depth. Something like the Paul Mara deal.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

7. Hobie Hansen says:

A few people, like our good fried Ian below, have mentioned that Pittsburg is buying their way to the Stanley Cup.

I have to disagree. With the salary cap in place no team is allowed to spend more than the other. Before the lockout in 2004, team like the Rangers and Leafs were spending $20 o $30 million more than other teams because they had more money. Even though it didn’t get them the cup, it allowed them to add 2 or sometimes more players at the deadline and should have gave them an advantage over other teams.

Now, the Rangers, Leafs and other teams like the Pens aren’t allowed spending more than the cap constitutes. There are some smaller market teams that can’t spend up to the cap but that’s a different issue.

Agree 100%, they are adding pieces, nothing wrong with what they are doing. The core of the team remains drafted by Pittsburgh, and other players they have added over the years.

Didn’t hear these accusations of L.A. last year when they added Richards and Carter.

8. habsfan0 says:

Am I the only one who thinks that Jerome Iginla will do for the Pittsburgh Penguins what Mats Sundin did for the Vancouver Canucks?Their stories seem almost identical to this point.

9. Cal says:

I must thank John Bellyful’s excellent parody at http://johnbellyful.weebly.com/ for this

I don’t pretend for a minute to think that the Penguins didn’t fleece the Flames in the trade for Iginla, But! Listening to Dreger say the same thing makes me wonder… Normally he is pretty guarded about saying things like that, never trying to make it sound like a GM did a bad job in a trade etc…. So is it possible Dreger feels he was embarrassed as an “Insider” with this trade to Boston falling through and him having reported it? So now he decides to get back at Feaster by making statements like the Flames getting Fleeced? If so, that is pretty petty on Dregers part.

11. kerrgte says:

LeBrun has commented that MB may be unwilling to upset the team’s chemistry by making a trade/acquiring a rental at this time.

I don’t agree. Every team that has won anything in recent years has risked upsetting the chemistry and has done something to ‘fine tune’ before the playoffs. Every team needs that extra piece of the puzzle.

Maybe Jagr is the best fit. He’s a unique talent, he knows he’s a rental, and our boys would know he’s a rental. Despite his foibles, Jagr would also be a teacher for our younger players. Les Canadiens have experience trading with Dallas, so it’s plausible.

It’ll be interesting regardless of what MB does.

cheers

• govenah says:

with Jagr our top nine would be:
      jagr, Plek, Gio
      Ryder, Deharnais, Pac
      Prust , Eller, Chucky, Gally?

How would it work?
      Put Prusty on fourth line I guess.

• kerrgte says:

We have 4 fwd lines, guv. One of our current non-producers would be a healthy scratch – let’s not name names.

It’s good friday – do the pubs open early ?

cheers

12. habstrinifan says:

I could figure it out on my own but I am too lazy.

Can we meet the Leafs in the first round??

I dont want to meet either the Leafs or the Sens in round 1. Rounds 1 are too unpredictable.. the tem hasnt built it’s playoff mojo yet.

I would prefer playing any othe rteam than those two in round 1.
    Just me.

13. commandant says:

Kristo and MacMillan in action tonight vs Niagara in the NCAA tournament. If UND loses, his college career is done. If they win, he moves to the elite 8 on Sunday.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

I have big news for Pittsburgh!
    You can try to buy a Stanley Cup, it has been tried before by deep pocket American owners.
    But guess what!, this is a team sport and it can only be won by players and coaches that understand and use the total roster for the very long and physical play off season.
    Putting a few of your grade A eggs in for most of the game, they tend to come out scrambled over the long stretch.
    No, big money cannot buy a cup, it is team chemistry, desire and heart that finally get the number one prize. Just ask L.A. or Jacques Demers.
    And besides, we also know that the Stanley Cup is a Canadian Cup on loan south at times.

15. Ncognito says:

Someone wondered if the Pens would regret the Morrow & Iginla trades as both were captains with their previous teams, and there may end up being too many cooks in the kitchen…

Didn’t hurt the 93 habs…how many former captains were on that team?
    Besides Carbonneau 91-94 Habs
    Bellows – 84 North Stars
    Muller – 87-91 Devils
    Savard – 88-89 Hawks
    Ramage – 89-91 Leafs
    And let’s not forget future captains’ Keane and Damphousse

Why is it I have only heard this week for the first time, the Flames referred to as “The Flaming C”? Is this a new marketing campaign, or have I just been an ostrich as it relates to things Calgarian.

17. Lafleurguy says:

Who’s a better no. 2, Budaj or Vokoun?

And just to humor the cynics, who’s a better no. 2, Price or Vokoun?

“May you live in interesting times.”

• I’ll take Budaj because of his age.

And to please the three Price haters. He’s on pace to pass all current goalies for life time shutouts, less the Amazing Brodeur, but hey Price is just average :lol:

List of Goalies’ Shutout number by the age of 25
      Dominik Hasek-0
      Evgeni Nabokov-0

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

18. Renegade says:

I think the Pens will regret the Morrow & Iginla trades. Both were captains with their previous teams, and there may end up being too many cooks in the kitchen, especially if they start to struggle. We’ll see.

• Lafleurguy says:

Remember the Red Wings had to let Keith Primeau go, just because there wasn’t enought ice-time for him behind Steve Yzerman and Sergei Fedorov (Anna Kournikova’s former sweetie)?

“May you live in interesting times.”

• HabFanSince72 says:

I think they’ll juggernaut it all the way to the cup finals.

They have no weaknesses, not even Goalie. If Fleury (who isn’t even that bad – 0.918 save % this year) plays poorly they have Vokoun, who is having a very good season.

Are they kidding us? They added Morrow, Iginla and Malkin to a team on a 13 game unbeaten streak?

• habstrinifan says:

Disagree! You said it… these two guys were ‘captains’… team first cahracter type guys. And on top of it they have Sid and now Iginla. All character these guys. If this team struggles it wont be because of ‘jealousy’ etc… it would be plain old sports unpredictability.

Those same two players didn’t mind playing with Sidney in Vanvouver, don’t see the former Captains as negatives in any way. How can anyone think they should be captain ahead of Sid?

• scavanau says:

Wouldn’t being relieved of a captaincy via a trade in your twilight years release you from any leadership pressure? You’d think it would give someone rejuvenation.

19. Hobie Hansen says:

Was listening to the Montreal TSN 690 AM radio show this morning and they played the clip of Connor McKenna on Boston radio.

McKenna was articulate, composed and polite while the Boston radio host was accusing the Canadiens of being divers and drawing the most penalties in the NHL as a result.

McKenna pointed out that Montreal are smaller and play a speed game and it forces other teams to take an arm off the stick an so on. At that point The Boston host starting insulting McKenna and saying he’s full of you know what and he’s out to lunch.

The clincher for McKenna was when he brought up the fact that Mike Milbury himself called out the same Boston radio host for accusing the Canadiens of embellishing and that he was way out of line. The Boston host then stated Milbury was wrong and went back to insulting McKenna.

Man oh man do I ever despise the Bruins, their media and their fans! I would love to beat them in the playoffs this year!

Last game was an awesome win and an all out great night. We beat them on the scoreboard, Moen stood tall and came out on top in a fight, Thornton was diving allover the place and they lost out on Iginla because he’d rather not go to Boston when he could play for Pittsburgh. Now that’s what I call a great night!

GO HABS GO!

• Habfan10912 says:

Sadly these radio goof balls represent that teams fan base well.

• habstrinifan says:

I was listening too. I would have blown my cool. Good on Connor.

• Mustang says:

Unfortunately, it appears that diving has become more common in the NHL now compared to years ago. What really burns me is that the Brooins like to make accusations about other teams diving when they are as bad or worse than anyone else. It reminds me of glass houses and throwing stones. I just hope that the Brooins get bounced out of the playoffs in the first round.

20. Lafleurguy says:

Gazette reporter Jared Wickerham made a keen observation which is the Habs should have won in Pittsburgh, and lost in Boston. 8.2 seconds was all that separated the universe from having jubilant Bruins fans from the reality that we have now. Of course, as vital as Markov’s shot and Chara’s stickwork was to the outcome, so many other feats of skill and grit calm-under-pressure (Budaj) gave us this gleeful couple of days to really puff our chests, jump for joy, holler and shout, rub the Bruins nose in it, whatever you so choose (too bad there was a little too much slammin’ of the No. 1 goaltender and No.2 defenseman, and I myself mildly poked the No. 1 leftwinger, and I’m not talking Karl Marx).

The Antarctic Happyfeetsters are now a juggernaut team and resemble the dynasty Oilers. However, after 4 consecutive Cups, the much more talented Oilers were ousted from the playoffs in 1989 by a determined and cohesive Calgary Flames team who unfortunately beat us fairly handily in the Cup finals. Having seen a few no. 6 seeds win it all, amidst a few no. 2’s, 3’s, and last year’s no. 8 seed become a dominant cohesive team en route to their franchise’s first championship in 44 season’s (no Stanley Cup in 2005), we can match the Feetsters with cohesive team play. Our last champion squad (1993) was a no. 6 seed.

Good Mornin’ All.
    John 3:16

“May you live in interesting times.”

Good Mornin’ Andrew, yup perhaps we can be quite the juggernaut in the playoffs.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Andrew. The game can be fickle or rewarding on a funny bounce, huh? One thing the players have control of is effort. There have been very few examples of this team being outworked in any games this year. Just a great bunch to root for.
      John 3:16 indeed.

• Lafleurguy says:

Mornin’ Boys! How are the worms turning, J.?

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Habfan10912 says:

I purchased all my supplies yesterday and have ordered my worms. I should be in business early next week. I plan on making a you tube video of the construction and will send that along when completed. Now don’t forget to tell all your friends and family that “Jim has worms!”

• Lafleurguy says:

I think you mentioned your business name is “I Got Worms.” If you have a website already, neat, but if not, some of these expert posters I bet are more than willing to help out.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Habfan10912 says:

I really want JB to be in charge of my advertising. :) Can you imagine what he could do with this?

• Lafleurguy says:

If someone unfamiliar wth JB, contacted you via the advertisement, they may be wanting to buy more than worms!

“May you live in interesting times.”

• JohnBellyful says:

Geez, Jim, I still owe you and Burl’ a song. I’ll add ‘worms ad campaign’ to the list.

21. JohnBellyful says:

Fans in New York are upset. Should Tortorella be worried?

• Chrisadiens says:

After reading that, Ryan Clowe for a 5th round pick sounds good. ;)

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• 24 Cups says:

It sounds like Clowe has turned into Mike Komisarek after Lucic ended his promising career.

If the Habs are going to trade for a winger than why not rent Jagr. He can re-sign with Dallas in the summer or maybe stay on for another year in Montreal to fill the Ryder spot.

22. Psycho29 says:

Food for Thought…
    The Penguins have won 14 straight games and are still only 7 points up on the Habs. And we have 2 games in hand….

Six days to go.

24. habsfan4ever61 says:

Is it Saturday Night yet????? Rest well boyz and come out flying against the Rangers…. really want to see Torts crying next!!!! GHG

25. Captain aHab says:

Unless Diaz and Bourque look like IR candidates for the rest of the season and playoffs, I’m betting MB won’t make any significant moves and I would be OK with that. Sends a message to the team that management thinks they are good enough to win and it’ll give Timmins a lot of picks to play with in a deep draft. I would stand pat this year but in following years, I think MB will be more interested in dealing big.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• JF says:

I tend to agree, especially in view of what Pittsburgh did this week. We will make the playoffs even without Bourque and Diaz, perhaps win a round. If those two guys are not coming back, Bergevin will probably make one or two small moves to bolster our defence and net presence, but I doubt there’s much he could do that would put us on a level with the Penguins. It would simply cost too much. The Habs will rely on excellent team play and goaltending, and I’m OK with that. Let’s see how far we can go, then hopefully hit a few home runs in the draft, as we seem to have done last year. Next year our top prospects will have matured, and we’ll be in a better position to identify which to keep and which could be dealt for a Cup run.

• habstrinifan says:

Impractical and maybe foolhardy to aim to be ‘level’ with the Pens or really anyone of the so called top teams. Continue with the long range team re-make. But, definitely do something to inject a some extra fire-power or solidness into the lineup. The two are not mutually exclusive.

26. Danno says:

Army seems like a fun guy to have in the room. Here he is laughing it up with Ryder:

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

27. Stooof says:

There are two moves that would put montreal over the top. Picking up Jagr and Robin Regehr. Would be golden. Hope they at least get Jagr.

28. Habitant in Surrey says:

…how in the World is Tortorello keeping his job ?

Don’t know if this has been reported, but good news in Bourque’s case. Baby steps

30. ooder says:

wonder what it would take to pry Fedor Tyutin from columbus.. pretty sick d man

So what is it… Leafs and Senators don’t lose anymore?

Did Evander Kane really intentionally hit ref with a snapshot tonight?

33. Habs4Lyfe says:

Habs 4 Lyfe

‘its just a fantasy hockey play’

Patrick Marleau would be a nice addition to get before the trade dealine, put him w/ Max Pac and w/.La parfaite petite peste. We need a real high end finisher for those 2 and then maybe pick up Thornton down the center and we can contend. We are right there. I think we have enough grit already and we have speed to burn. Gionta , Plek and Rider are set. And put Thornton w/ Alex G. (27) and Elle (81). And then we have the ‘dogs of war’ for the 4the line, every line kinda guys (Prust, Moen, Halpren, Armstrong.)
    Emelin pounding the enemy every night, Bouillion, Georges and TooTall Tinordi , steady as she goes……. TooTall Tinordi bellowing from the raptures. Leaving the best to last the Magician Markov deftly laying the puck for the ROCKET by P.K. Subban,(portraying his boyhood idol #4,Bobby Orr)

To the young warrior Carey Price (31) who is where he needs to be to win it all, Les Glorieux.

…………………………………

Just a thought. Don’t even know if Sharks are zellers, don’t even know what we’d give.

‘its just a fantasy hockey play’

and maybe 1 hammerhead defenceman ( yes, young Tinordi, ‘TooTall’) needs to discover the dark side

34. Skeptical says:

If Flury is on in the playoffs. It will be a cake walk for Pittsburgh
    Take a look at their top 9-forwards. WOW only goaltending can lose it for them. They have a all-star team.

35. Trisomy 21 says:

Who is this next to Price?
    pic.twitter.com/xWcoN9Wgls

36. Vid says:

This improbable comeback has some eerie similarities with the comeback against the Rangers in early 2008 (the season when the habs finished first in the east)

Price started but was pulled
    Ryder scored two goals
    The tying goal is scored on a power play
    A player wearing 11 gets the shootout winner for a 6-5 victory

37. RazzleDazzle says:

For 37 year old Martin St. Louis i would include a prospect such as Louis Leblanc and a second rounder, no more. St. Louis’ contract expires in 2015.

38. Chris says:

Man, Anaheim seems to have found themselves a beauty of a goaltending prospect in John Gibson.

2013 World Juniors MVP, Best Goaltender and All-Star
    2011 U18 World Championships First Team All-Star

And now, in the first round of the playoffs, all he has done is post the following stat lines:

3-1, 1 SO, 171 SA (~43 shots per game average!!!), 1.51 GAA and 0.965 SV% against a Guelph Storm team that scored the fourth most goals in the regular season.

That kid looks like he is going to be special.

39. steve29 says:

Well hopefully if Tampa gets a goalie maybe Miller they’ll keep st. Louis as they have a decent team
    If they can land a real puck stopper.

40. steve29 says:

Apparently the Bruins are trying for St. Louis now. Hate to see it although I think he will probably put up more points than Iginla. To bad we already have 10 smurfs on the Habs.

• Bill says:

I would rather they had gotten Iginla. St. Louis is a way better fit on the Bruins right now. They’d be a very scary team with Marty.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• habstrinifan says:

If St. Louis is available and MB is trying his darndest to get him to Mtl, then MB is being too catuious re his ‘assets’. St. Louis is worth a premium pick at least.

• Bill says:

I don’t think he’s as good a fit on the Habs. We have a small team to begin with. He’s an RW, where we have good depth with Gionta, Bourque, Gallagher, and Ryder. And he’s under contract at a high cap-hit until 2015. He’s 37. I doubt MB is kicking the tires on him.

On Boston’s large and nasty team, he’d be insulated and his speed and creativity could be lethal. On the Habs, there’s no one making room for him.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• habstrinifan says:

Very good points. And yes he would be a great addition to the Bruins. He is what they dont have.. a player who makes other players better by sheer hockey skills not force. Seguin for instance is great individually but wont raise other people’s play. Martin St. Louis will do that… and for that reason if he is available I would do everything to keep him away from Boston.

• Sportfan says:

Do the Bruins fans realize that they have more french guys on their team I think they should stop it before a french player on their team tells the fans to F off

41. habsfan0 says:

History has shown that a season’s eventual Stanley Cup Champion always seems to have difficulty in the opening round,before asserting themselves in later match ups.Using that logic,I think I’d like the Habs to play Pittsburgh in the 1st round,but that would seem to be highly unlikely to happen now.

42. JohnBellyful says:

Watched most of Gallagher’s Island, episode 33, last night. I stayed with it until near the end, after Gallagher and the crew had taken a 2-0 lead only to have the brain-addled natives score four unanswered goals, and then go ahead later 5-3.

Gallagher: Skipper, wha’ happened? We were up two and now we’re down two.
    Gionta: Don’t know, little buddy, but we gotta do something fast.
    Gallagher: I got an idea!!
    Gionta [groans]: I hope it’s better than the last one. The screwy diet you came up with those weird looking plants made me lose weight AND height.
    Gallagher: Skipper, I’ll always look up to you [looks down at him, with soulful eyes begging the Skipper to ask for his idea].
    Gionta [sighs]: Okay, let’s hear it.
    [Gallagher whispers into the Skipper’s ear]
    Gionta [incredulous]: You’re gonna do what???
    [Gallagher whispers into the Skipper’s ear again]
    Gionta [disbelief written all over his face]: You’re gonna fire the puck at the defenceman’s head, pick up the rebound and then put it behind Rask? [shakes his head in exasperation] Where do you come up with these idiot ideas?
    Gallagher: Where most idiots do [points to his head as he leaps over the boards]

Well, at that point, I turned the TV off. Some plot turns are just too ridiculous to accept. Like replacing a key character in the middle of the show. Unbelievable.
    And yet the show still gets good ratings. In the top four I’m told. Go figure.

43. habsfan0 says:

It now appears likely that the Habs,Winnipeg,Ottawa & Toronto will all qualify for the playoffs in the Eastern Conference.

44. Mr_MacDougall says:

Who is the best available player on the market now? I tend to lean toward Jay Bouwmeester, 6’4″ 220lbs, great skater, great endurance, puck mover and a two time all-star. He has won 2 World Championship Gold, World Cup Gold. On the downside he hasn’t played a playoff game since minor hockey.

Would you like to see JB as a Hab.. One year remaining on his contract for 6.7 cap hit.

I was not clear on the concept of the new play-off format given the impending NHL realignment so I did a bit of digging and found this clear and concise explanation:

The top three teams in each division will make up the first 12 teams in the playoffs. The remaining four spots will be filled by the next two highest-placed finishers in each conference, based on regular-season points and regardless of division. It will be possible, then, for one division to send five teams to the postseason while the other sends three.

The seeding of the wild-card teams within each divisional playoff will be determined on the basis of regular-season points. The division winner with the most points in the conference will be matched against the wild-card team with the lowest number of points; the division winner with the second-most points in the conference will play the wild-card team with the second fewest points.

The teams finishing second and third in each division will play in the first round of the playoffs. The winners of each series will play for berths in the Conference Championship series.

The two divisional champions in each conference will then play in the conference finals to advance to the Stanley Cup Final.

Fair enough. My only qualm is the divisional 2nd seed versus 3rd seed first round. I think it would be more interesting to do a crossover like they do in IIHF tourneys. Have the 2nd seed from division a (or c) play the 3rd seed from division b (or d) and vice versa.

One of the things I got tired of with the old Adams, Patrick, Smythe, Norris format was that it was always the same teams over and over again in the play-offs year in and year out.

I think the idea of having more divisional games during the regular season will further reaffirm and entrench already existing rivalries (as well as establish new ones) but that allowing for more variety in the play-offs would make things more interesting for the fans. Hopefully the league realizes this sooner than later.

46. jols101 says:

Iggy’s trade is running on a long news cycle.

It’s yesterdays news, get on with it.

47. twilighthours says:

True story. I’m a 36 year old man. I am far too old to have a favourite player. Yet I have a subban poster on my office wall.

And if I find a poster of Gallagher, I’ll put that up too. I love those kids.

48. frontenac1 says:

Neil back on the Bench! Jeeze the guy is tough.

49. NL Hab says:

Wow, Phoenix just put up 6 goals in the 1st period. Maybe they are auditioning for the new owners in Quebec city.

Et Le But

50. Gerry H says:

OK, is it me or does this Sens/Rangers game look like someone put quaaludes in the water bottles?

zzzzzz…

51. ABHabsfan says:

So here’s what I choose to believe regarding Iginla and the supposed deal with the Bruins:
    He waited until after the Habs came back and beat their cry-baby asses, saw the whining that goes on after they lose, and decided that he just can’t be a part of that crap. Which is great because I always thought Iginla was a class act and I just couldn’t see him on Team Diaper.

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

52. Mattyleg says:

Just a thought… is there any televised North American sport that Canadians care less about than the NCAA?

Do they still televise bass fishing?
    How about the 90s RDS Défi Mini-Putt?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

53. Tharsis says:

Man this was such a beauty of a shot. Love the angle, almost looks like the shot has a bit of a curve to it haha.

And not a word of praise from McGuire on the shot, all he talked about was that Rask was screened. What a doofus.

———————————-

Fate leads the willing, and drags along the reluctant.

54. frontenac1 says:

Chris Neil gets a skate in the leg.Ouch! Didn’t look good. Boy oh Boy those snakebit Sens.

55. NL Hab says:

I have read on a few other sites about possible players that Bergevin should target. Iginla-Gone. Murray-Gone. Morrow-Gone. Clowe-Too Expensive. According to a few reports, Chris Stewart is available. He is an RFA in the offseason and is 25 years old. He is exactly the guy that the Habs need desperately. St. Louis has to sign Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Bergland, and Stewart in the offseason.

For whatever reason, the St. Louis owner does not like to spend much money. I was just looking at capgeek, and they have roughly $20M in capspace this year alone. So this guy is obviously a penny pincher. Maybe they don’t have good attendance/revenues. Don’t know, don’t care. So all of the guys mentioned above are RFA’s and they are all making $1.3M-3.2M. So needless to say that they will all have there salaries doubled or tripled in some cases (Shattenkirk is making 1.3M this year).

So unless the owner of the Blues has a sudden change of heart, one or possible 2 of these guys could be moved.

I would like to see Bergevin target Stewart. What would it require to obtain him. Rumors out in the blogosphere is that if St. Louis moved Stewart they would want a young D-Man in return. Would our 1st this year plus Beaulieu be enough? Too much? What do you guys think.

Et Le But

• HabFab says:

Patches or combo of Gally / Chucky and Tinordi / Beaulieu. Can’t get gold with pieces of copper.

• NL Hab says:

HaHa. I have no idea what his asking price would be. I mean, Pittsburgh got Iggy for nothing really. The 30th overall pick this June and a couple of guys who may never make it to the NHL. The San Jose gets 2 second rounders for Murray. Alsmost seems like they paid more for Murray than Iginla. What would the price tag be on Stewart? 1st rounder and one prospect, and 1 top 6 roster player? I don’t know. The market seems so confusing to me.

Et Le But

• jedimyrmidon says:

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Combo of Galchenyuk (#3 overall pick) AND Tinordi or Beaulieu? For Chris Stewart? No way, that’s a severe overpayment: this isn’t Crosby we’re talking about.

• kirbhabs says:

Stewart would be a great addition

• Bill says:

When Stewart’s name comes up in trade rumours, everyone says it’s crazy, because why would they trade a great young player like him?

You identified the reason: money. All those players to sign, Stewart will be looking for big bucks, and they are more of a cap floor team than a cap ceiling team.

Keys to any deal would be giving them a good pick plus a good prospect or two who can step in next year, contribute, and play for cheap.

If you don’t mind giving a 1st rounder, a blue-chip prospect like a Tinordi or a Beaulieu, plus a decent but not sure-thing prospect like a Danny Kristo or a Darren Dietz, I say St. Louis would take that offer.

High price, yes, but he’s a good young player and not a rental. It’s a question of how bad he’s wanted.

Full Breezer 4 Life

56. Just A Guy says:

Uh oh Neil just went straight off into the locker room. ankle on ankle?

57. jols101 says:

Phoenix scored 5 goals in nine minutes against the Preds in the 1st period.

58. commandant says:

Semin rocket ties the game vs the Leafs.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

59. I miss the center Ice 6 channel screen, it’s tough pushing the remote every three minutes. :lol: I haven’t had this much hockey time to myself since last year. I like it.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

60. Hobie Hansen says:

After hearing Joe Nieuwendyk’s name brought up today a couple times because of his connection to Jarome Iginla, it made me think that Nieuwendyk is the player I’d hope that Alex Galchenyuk turns out to be like.

Not sure Galchenyuk with score 50 in a season, maybe, or score 500 goals in his career, but hoping Galchenyuk with be fast like Joe was and will battle for pucks in the slot, behind the net and in the corners like Joe.

61. kirbhabs says:

What was with the need of Chiarelli to give a conference today…. to try and influence the league again. Calling out Inginla for not “choosing” them…. cry baby Bruin’s, “we had a deal!”

Uh no, because one of the greatest goal scorers decided no to be with you Boston… HAHAHAHA!

Love it

62. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

In other news, I heard Brad Marchand is dating Manti T’eo’s ex girlfriend…

• HabFab says:

Now I’m confused, is this an Episode of the Walking Dead?
      Of course most of the Bruins could certainly get roles as extras and save on the make-up.

63. Danno says:

Hey look!

Claude Julien now has his own brand of Embellish Mints

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

64. HabFab says:

NCAA Frozen Four schedule for this weekend, Hab prospects playing for Denver, Boston College and North Dakota;

65. Danno says:

Sens with a masterful PK against Fonzie’s Rangers

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

66. parkex says:

From Rask falling to Iginla dissing.. Love it!

67. pmaraw says:

does anyone know if this is Claude Julien’s wife?

68. Buzz Lightbeer says:

The dumb look on Chiarellis face on the tsn site really tops these 2 days off.

69. Hobie Hansen says:

After last night I know we can beat Boston in the playoffs. The Habs are a deeper team then 2 seasons ago when they beat us in seven and also 3 seasons ago when we went on that run to the semi-finals.

In saying that though, first are foremost, we need another 20-25 minute a night defenseman. Preferably someone 6’2″ or larger who is all about defense and who hits to hurt. The defense was rather shaky last night. We need to load Markov up on the PP and cut back his even strength minutes

We can beat Boston, we’d have a tougher time against the Pens but I wouldn’t count us out. The problem is going four long rounds and holding up physically.

Big defenseman for sure and another physical forward wouldn’t hurt either.

As we all know :-).