‘Funnest’ game ever for Habs’ Gallagher

Canadiens rookie Brendan Gallagher wasn’t sure if he played his best game ever in Wednesday’s thrilling 6-5 shootout win over the Bruins in Boston, but he did call it the “funnest.”

Gallagher scored once in regulation time and added the winner in the shootout.

“He shows a lot of character by going to the dirty places and competing,” Josh Gorges, who has Gallagher living at his home, told reporters after the game. “He gets hacked and he gets whacked and cross-checked and he’s still going to the front of the net.”

Gorges added that Gallagher should be the favourite to win the Calder Trophy as rookie of the year.

“I don’t know if there are many rookies who have the impact he has on our team,” Gorges said.

Canadiens coach Michel Therrien gave his players a well-deserved day off Thursday. They will practice at 11 a.m. Friday in Brossard as they prepare to face the New York Rangers Saturday at the Bell Centre (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

After reports were swirling during the Canadiens-Bruins game that the Calgary Flames were going to trade Jarome Iginla to Boston, he ended up going to the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for a pair of forwards, Yale’s Kenneth Agostino and St. Cloud State’s Ben Hanowski, and a first-round draft pick.

(Photo by Michael Dwyer/The Associated Press)

Canadiens beat Bruins in shootout, by Pat Hickey

Habs show a lot of character, by Pat Hickey

Flames deal Iginla to Penguins, by Postmedia News

Penguins acquire Iginla from Calgary, by Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Canadiens vs. Bruins photo gallery

Bruins fall to Canadiens in ugly fashion, by Boston Globe

Kick to the face, followed by kick to the gut for Bruins, by Boston.com

Bruins’ Chara carries a big stick, by Stu Cowan

Habs prospects on display at NCAA tourney, by Pat Hickey

Captain Gionta praises Habs coach Therrien, by Stu Cowan

Leafs win 45 consecutive Cups, by Pat Hickey

Pilote was heart of the ‘Hawks, by Dave Stubbs

It’s hard to stay healthy in today’s NHL, by Stu Cowan

Lightning rookie Conacher has something in common with Habs’ Gallagher, by Stu Cowan

1,374 Comments

1. habituation says:

Was at the game last night, very unlikely two points.

This team is a completely different animal to last years, last year at 4-2 down we probably would have been blown out all together and gooned for good measure.

No quit this year though, going right to the final buzzer and Gallagher is the example to everyone on the team.

Also, was leaving arena with my brother and met Geoff Molson and his wife walking down from the nose-bleeds, seemed very happy and stopped for a photo and one or two words.

Very good day, now on to the Rangers.

2. Dunboyne Mike says:

999!
    John! John!
    Hurry up! I can smell the free chicken wings!

3. Trisomy 21 says:

Seeing Iggy go to Pittsburgh really affirms my belief that we shouldn’t make any trades that leaves us with fewer/worse prospects or that leaves us with a rental. We keep developing what we have, maybe move up in the draft via trading then we are all in.
    I’m stoked to see the Habs battling for 1st in the East, but I still think our competitors are slightly better.

4. Dunboyne Mike says:

Thanks for all the UFAs, GuyDoon.

I always liked Mike Knuble. Too old?
    Up until last season he was consistently 20+ goals. Not a sniper, I know, but a presence in front of the net. Would surely be a cheap pick-up, might be rejuvenated playing for a great team….

5. Danno says:

As a result of last night’s game and the spectacular goaltending in the third period and shootout I have officially converted to Budajism

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

6. alfieturcotte says:

Despite all the Price love, I will state the obvious – Budaj should start Saturday……..

• Trisomy 21 says:

I see no harm in that. Those were tough goals for Price to stop, and I think he looked sharp on a few saves too (like closing his trapper when the rat got loose). But hey, we know it won’t be Budaj starting in the playoffs, we might as well not have Price overworked and exhausted come round 1. At least now we won’t all be expecting to lose when our backup plays.

• mksness says:

i didn’t think he looked sharp at all and got lost on two of the goals.

if price is on his game the shot he lost in the screen he’ll stop and the one that hit the back of his leg doesn’t go in if he doesn’t fall forward (eliminating the change for a easy push to the other post)

he looked tired fromt he start

• Trisomy 21 says:

I don’t know… I thought Marchand’s goal was so flukey, I won’t get into the fact Marchand shouldn’t have had time to shoot on net twice like that. If by the screen one you mean the PP I agree, he didn’t look great, he lost sight of the puck which sucks.

• The Jackal says:

Yeah yeah yeah, we’ve heard it all before.
      They’d still ask for that even after Price posts a SO.

• alfieturcotte says:

Nah, only after Price gets yanked and his back up shines and steals a victory from the jaws of a Price defeat…..

• alfieturcotte says:

Jackal – if Budaj were a forward or D, would you actually argue that he sit or would you say that he deserves to play the next game???? Come on brother, open your eyes!

7. Ton says:

I know all of us here want to take the time to congratulate Milan on his newest arrival.

8. Mattyleg says:

Bourque gone to Atlanta to work with same Doc that worked with Crosby after his concussion, apparently.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

9. hockeyRAT says:

Rene Bork gonna play this year?

whats latest on Prust?

10. OK not sure if he can still play but Ryan Whitney is still funny, “I think the fans would be really happy if I were traded” vis TSN

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

11. GuyDoon says:

Sorry in advance for the length of this posted.
    Anyone intersting in there for the Habs?

UFAs for Teams with Odds of making playoffs lower than 10%

Jagr, Jaromir
    Roy, Derek
    Nystrom, Eric

12. Danno says:

The sweater with number 11 on it has redeemed itself big time

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

13. whoa Rickey Romero is almost in tears over being sent to AA ball.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

14. Lafleurguy says:

It is 6:18 pm and we are not yet at 1,000 comments. Surely you haven’t covered every aspect of goaltending on the team. Surely there are available and affordable D-men and physical forwards to trade for. Surely you remember Peter Graves telling Leslie Nielson to stop calling him Shirley (Top Gun or Naked Gun or Run-and-Gun-Offense). Carry on posters…..and wannabe’s.
    Peace/Out

“May you live in interesting times.”

15. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

O’Byrne back to Mtl to play with Bouillion? Most logical possible move no?

16. thebonscott says:

I would also take Anthony stewart scored 9 goals with Carolina last year and is 6″3 230lbs and is from Quebec, better than moen.

“I found out that a guy I hate has cancer … I told him I feel bad for the cancer” -Ed the Sock.

17. habstrinifan says:

What”s with those lazy bum HABS… no game tonite? I need my fix of what we had last nite.

18. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I love Josh Gorge’s role on Our Team …except on the powerplay

…We badly miss Diaz on the second-unit

…what are Your impressions of Tinordi ?

…My impression seems to be better than Therrien’s that, so far, as MT is keeping Jarred’s TOI restricted (which, for One experiencing His first taste in the Show, is likely wise)

…but I have not seen Him bungle or look out of place considering

…He still is not developed physically as He will be, but He is mobile, keeps His game simple and dependable, and encouraging to Me, doesn’t appear to hesitate to shoot when the occasion presents itself, and most importantly, so far, is getting those shots on net

…are there faults in Tinordi You see that I have not ?

…reducing Andrei Markov’s ice-time to low-to mid-20s seems essential if Andrei will have any ‘legs’ for the play-offs, and Tinordi playing another 4 or 5 minutes more a game would greatly help Markov

…any educated thoughts on Tinordi’s play so far ?

• habstrinifan says:

I would put Emelin on PP but I am afraid he gets jittery every now and then. Put Weber in for a game or two as an extra forwrd-D?? Hard to do cause we need every forward playing way our scoring is spread out.

Tinordi.. has problems steering guys off lane. But I agree re giving him extra minutes and cutting Markov’s down.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…thanks Trin …I haven’t seen anything yet of Jarred ‘hurting’ Us …I don’t want to see Him fighting at this stage, but His mobility and size is what the doctor (not named Recchi) ordered

…Emelin, I think is too slow to respond to break-outs by the other teams PK …I did think Weber last night, but the PP is His only value at the moment

…I prefer an in-house answer to the need rather than a trade, and it will be interesting whether MB decides Tinordi is kept up, or sent down

• piper says:

I think Therrien may have been protecting the kid from Lucic. Look what he did to Komi.

19. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I don’t want to sound sappy but that picture above is one the most nicest pictures of the Habs I’ve seen in a while. Gally smiling with a cut lip after a war with Boston while being congratulated by Gorges…if this picture does not represent this season so far…nothing does.

20. Buzz Lightbeer says:

I changed my gravatar but this same old picture keeps showing up. whats going on?

21. Un Canadien errant says:

So let me get this straight. Now that the Jarome Iginla hostage standoff has ended peacefully with a just and agreeable denouement for all reasonable observers, we now have to fire up the Martin St. Louis vigil? No way the Bruins put their sleazy, dirty hands on him.

They should get Matt Cooke and Steve Ott, that’s more their speed. Oh, and Sean Avery is available for cheap.

22. NTTIAWWT says:

Anyone know of a website that keeps track of TSN’s Dregger’s lies, obfuscations and outright Leafs biases? This guy has to be on the take.

23. Habitant in Surrey says:

…have to admit, some of those Farts’ fans have a sense of humor too …and some of their photo-shopping make Our GoldenGirl look like a neophyte :)

‘RECAP: BRUINS HAVE SORE KNEES FROM BLOWING 2 GOAL LEAD. #BRUINS LOSE': http://www.daysofyorr.com/2013-articles/march/bruins-have-sore-knees-from-blowing-2-goal-lead-bruins-lose.html

The Last Supper tonight, so I will be meeting up with the other 11 fellas at church tonight.!

Have a wonderful Easter celebration everyone.!!

25. Buzz Lightbeer says:

Exciting game but i hope we work on out power play. We seem to be clicking at 20% but it sure can be painful to watch. Just praying that we can set up long enough for a Subban one timer. A little more creativity would be nice. Or even a clean zone entry. Come on MT,Eller!

26. Habitant in Surrey says:

…appears Jeremy Jacobs is as loathed by Farts’ fans as he is by the rest of Us

• Say Ash says:

“we don’t need to bring the low- and middle-income hooligans into town” lol

• slapshot777 says:

I guess Bettmn must live there too. Jacobs is a snob like the rest in that story and he gets what he wants by buying it. I said it before and I say it again I still think this was how the Bruins won their last cup. Jacobs bought the refs and Bettman.

How can you truly call that a championship if you buy yourself one.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

27. habstrinifan says:

Guess you folks are not gonna bring it up so I have to. Who’s the genius that posted that Budaj should get the start in Beantown… long before the 3 game trip started.

Lucky thing I am a freakin humble type a guy!

• There is absolutely no way you can tell me if put in the same situation that Budaj would have made those saves, actually I can answer that. NO, because on goal number 5, Budaj had no chance at saving it, just like Carey on two goals.

Budaj did his job, and was awesome! But no way you start him over your number one after how Carey played Tuesday night.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• habstrinifan says:

You reading too much into this. I just thought Budaj was good against Boston this year so thought was good to start him.

• Loonie says:

So what do you do if you play them in the first round? Start Budaj instead of Price? Don’t think so.

• habstrinifan says:

I wa stalking about 1 game. In a time span when Price was having some ups and downs and Budaj hadnt played for a while. One game!

When playoffs start the FOCUS is reset. The entire team is basically keyed-up and of course you do not risk second guessing b switching your number 1 goalie. But my posts were for 1 game. As I tought that Price should then play in NY … which I hope he does and believe he will be great. Again… just 1 game!

• Loonie says:

Hey man relax.

First place was on the line. Price is the starter, the first round pick, the franchise.

Best foot forward.

• alfieturcotte says:

How do you not start Budaj on Saturday? If anyone deserves the start after that performance, he does.

• I guess I could see that, but had they lost Therrien would have been massacred. But again, we’ll never know until they dress Budaj vs Boston in April 6th, and do you dress the backup on a Saturday night when he should play the Jets a couple days before?

Shane Oliver
          Twitter @Sholi2000
          Custom Sports Figures

• bwoar says:

Good call, genius!

“thoroughbred”

28. SlimDiggity says:

Is Chris Stewart on the trading block? His contract is expiring but he’s only an RFA. Didn’t someone mention we were possibly scouting him?

Seems like the type of forward we need, and could be part of the team moving forward. (which makes me skeptical that St. Louis would want to trade him)

What would it take? I’m guessing a decent roster player (Gionta, Bourque) and top-tier prospect (Beaulieu, Tinordi) for Stewart and a mid-tier prospect or 2nd/3rd round pick.

Not sure if I would do it but on paper he looks like a player that would fit well.

• thebonscott says:

moen+gorges +holland+weber+2nd rounder?? any of these i would be ok with

• thebonscott says:

and ellis and of course kaberle

• piper says:

I’d offer DD, Gionta, Diaz, Kristo and Beaulieu and I’m sure Armstrong would hang up. To get a player like Stewart you have to trade quality not quantity.

• Cable Guy says:

Thats the stupidest thing I have ever read piper

• piper says:

Young power forwards don’t come cheap if you hadn’t noticed. You probably think they’d take DD and his bloated contract straight up.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Triple low five avatars are prohibited on HI/O. You should change it before the mods see it.

29. thebonscott says:

please mr bergevin, talk to st. louis about chris stewart, nag them into submission, call everyday, 5 times a day, offer crap though, eventually they’ll cave

30. habfan53 says:

I love how Bergevin and Therrien have taken Montreal to the top of their division 3 points behind the Penguins , 4th overall and we as fans know better.
    I suspect that both of them know Andrei is playing to many minutes, that the pp is not working as it should and that the PK is not up to last years standards.

I also suspect that both are more aware of Prust’s, Bourque’s and Diaz’s condition then we are. by publicizing it it will show a greater need and will drive up the price.

31. Un Canadien errant says:

Again though, how bad is Darren Dreger? He covered himself with shame during the lockout, acting as the Daly-Bettman mouthpiece. Now, to enhance his credibility, he rushes to tweet out that Jarome to the Bruins was a done deal. And he blows it.

Meanwhile Bob McKenzie couldn’t have been more patient and circumspect, listing all the indicators that pointed to a deal, yet taking great pains to specify that he couldn’t get anyone he trusted to confirm the deal. Kudos Bob. He and Renaud Lavoie are the guys I trust. When they say it, it’s a fact.

They should trade Mr. Dreger to Sportsnet, he’s that bad. He’d look great as the Middle Ass-Clown between Ass-Clown MacLean and Ass-Clown Kypreos.

32. krob1000 says:

Remember Sergei’s lazy line change a week or two ago and the coaches comments (it was brutal)….he is actually the teams plus minus leader.

33. habstrinifan says:

Sorry Folks! Hold off on the Celebration. Bettman and Jacobs are presently ensconced with some Cassius looking legal people to overturn the Pittsburgh deal and get Iginla to Boston. You just watch!!!!!

34. HabFanSince72 says:

Why are the San Jose Sharks interested in trading Clowe for prospects?

They are fighting to make the playoffs and will probably make it. If they do they still have a team that could get somewhere. Their Thornton/Marleau window of opportunity is closing fast.

If Clowe is that good why don’t they keep him? Surely GM Doug Wilson’s job is at risk if he doesn’t make the playoffs. So why would he trade a contributing player for picks?

If they are trading him because he sucks (same number of points and games played as Scott Gomez) then why do we want him?

35. habs11s says:

The only thing that will be really terrible about the Iggy trade is hearing the complaining from the Bruins, which will probably last for a while..

_____________________________________________________________

36. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

What is Boston’s next move? A forward to try to match Pitt or a defenceman to shore up against Pitt. Starting to think they go the defence route…no hope in hell of trying to score with Pitt anymore. Time to tighten the D…

37. Hobie Hansen says:

Thank god he didn’t go to Boston. I absolutely love Iginla. So much so that when i lived in Calgary for a couple years I went out and bought an authentic Calgary Flames jersey with Iginla’s name on it. Best power forward I’ve seen in my 30 plus years of watching hockey.

I might have had to burn that jersey if he went to Boston….

38. Loonie says:

The usual suspects, Marc Antoine Godin and Renaud Lavoie have been very quiet today.

Wonder if something’s brewing.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Even though I still think not much is going to happen, I am going nuts waiting for April 3rd…something is wrong with me…

• Duke_Rauol says:

im telling ya Loonie , Jagr.

——————————————————————-
      We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold……

39. NTTIAWWT says:

21-7-5
    104 GF
    83 GA
    +21
    So far, so good.
    Be happy Habs fans.

40. Ghosts of the Forum says:

What a game, eh?

Think moving forward it’s becoming obvious that Marky is invaluable to this team, but needs to be put in a position to succeed. That means far less minutes — he’s not our shutdown guy. Playing less 5-on5 will mean he can play more on the PP.

I’m not ready to throw in the towel on Emelin yet. He had a bad game, it happens. But I think another dman is needed. If it weren’t for that ridiculous contract Bouwmeester would be perfect. The need to produce offensively wouldn’t be a pressure on him, would be great on the second wave of the PP and can eat up big minutes without making too many mistakes. He came to Calgary as an offensive defenceman and didn’t meet expectations. But as a 3-4 dman his responsibility would be more in line with what he is. And his swiftness fits in this team extremely well.

As always the question is….what would it cost? (and the contract…that’s a doozy)

Giordano is a better long term solution, but not sure he’d be available and would cost a lot more. Though that’d be a hockey trade (he’s under contract for several seasons in the 4 million range), so I’d be more open to trading a guy like Kristo for him.

But main thing is Marky is still extremely effective, if he’s put in a situation where he can succeed — less minutes, lots of PP.

41. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Jarome chose Crosby, not Pittsburgh

…if Crosby was a Fart (Booin), he would have chosen them …if Crosby played for Our Habs, he would have been wearing le Flannelle this morning

…Feaster used the Farts to pressure Shero into an unconditional first-round pick in this coming draft

• Hobie Hansen says:

No he wouldn’t, Bergevin wouldn’t trade a 1st and a bunch of prospects for a rental.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I don’t think it’s a rental. I think Iggy will stay in Pittsburgh. They’re going to be like the Miami Heat for the next three years.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Ya, I was being a smart ass sorry. I think he’ll stay in Pittsburgh for a couple years too. Sounds crazy but I wouldn’t be shocked if he scored 50 playing with Crosby or Malkin.

• otter649 says:

If Iglina drops his salary to 5 million from 7 million he may stay also he is an over 35 player so teams have to be sure if handing out 35 plus contracts as if a player retires before the contract ends if stays on the books till it expires……

• Loonie says:

Exactly right. If Crosby’s a Bruin it plays out differently.

42. Duke_Rauol says:

Jagr gonna be a Hab, you heard it here first!

——————————————————————-

Mr. Bergevin, not only do you have to fill the holes left by Prust and Bourke up front, there are huge holes than need filling on the back end before we can call our team a top cup contender good sir.

The Hab’s have only 2 top defense men, Markov and Parnell.

We do not have any 3rd and 4th D here yet.

We have 3 who are 5th and 6th D on any NHL team. Gorges, Bouillon and Emilin.

And the rest are trying to stay in the league being the 7th D. Kaberle, Tinordi, and Weber.

Diaz looks gone for this season.

• johnnylarue says:

Man, Emelin gets a justifiably rough ride for being such a lousy interview, but I can’t believe how many people around here rank him as a 5-6 D-man. He’s an easy 3-4 guy on a good team, IMO. Not the sharpest chopstick in the noodle bowl, but when he keeps it simple he’s been extremely dependable for us.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Emelin is a great hitter, decent offensively but is very shaky defensively. That’s why I see him as a 5th or 6th defenseman.

• johnnylarue says:

Well, he’s a +0 on the season (Markov is -3), which isn’t bad when you factor in that he’s the guy retrieving pucks from the corners on dump-ins and generally doing a lot of the dirty work on the Habs busiest D pairing.

No disrespect to Markov whatsoever–he’s the king of “working smarter, not harder”–but pay attention to how those two share the workload in the D zone and you’ll notice that Yemmy acquits himself rather nicely.

• piper says:

I think Emelin would be great with a younger Markov. But with Markov as slow as he is now is not a good partner for Emelin.

• johnnylarue says:

I agree–he might not be good enough to pick up the slack for Marky. And vice versa–Markov is no longer fast enough to pick up the slack for Emelin’s occasional, epic brain farts.

Put Emelin on his natural side–he’s been playing to Markov’s right for most of the season–and it’s a sure bet his profile would improve considerably.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…surprised You’re underestimating Gorges Ian

…I have to disagree on this one, I think all Our group of D can play Top 4 on other teams in the NHL

…the one element We could add to the mix is a Tinordi NHL ready …and, I don’t think He is far away

• Ian Cobb says:

Last year maybe Chris but this year he is a bust most nights.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…well, I see Him doing subtle things that no average 5 & 6 D are capable of

…My eyes tell Me different Ian :)

• johnnylarue says:

I’m beginning to agree with Loonie on this one. I think Gorges isn’t particularly well-suited to Therrien’s system. He’s at his best playing a more conservative, shot-blocking static zone defence, rather than the more dynamic ‘swarm’ defence the Habs are using this year. He’s not great at puck battles, and often isn’t fast enough to keep up with the play in the D-zone.

44. piper says:

If the Bergevin could find a way to pry Erskine from Washington for say Diaz and a mid round pick, then Bordeleau from the Avs for say Moen or White +, then I think they could make some advancement in the playoffs. Otherwise they are just too easy to play against and will be golfing early.

45. Habitant in Surrey says:

…from a Farts’ blog: ‘Jarome Iginla Trade: EDIT: JUST KIDDING.’

…funny

46. HABSsince92 says:

Just looking at the standings and again this year the Habs home record is garbage with the playoffs coming up in 4 weeks……..in fact of the top 8 right now the Habs have the 2nd worst home record………..the Habs are 9-7 at home and 12-5 on the road (combining reg. and OT/SOL, a loss is a loss) Makes you think twice about the home ice advantage come playoff time lol
    ______________________________________________________

PK please sign.

Happy Easter Everybody, enjoy the long weekend, its time to pass over the beers!

CHeers

48. pottymonster says:

I don’t know… I just feel like I need to be Debby Downer right now and say that I think we still have too many smurfs.

No matter how well I see Gallagher play, I still don’t want him on the Habs because he just perpetuates our smurfness. Same goes for Danny Kristo, don’t want him. Same for Desharnais and Gionta. The only one I can tolerate is Pleks, and him only because he’s the best out of all of them and I figure we’re allowed one small guy.

But I swear, we finally started looking like we were going to get bigger and then we extended Desharnais contract and bring up Gallagher. Yes, Gallagher is playing lights out, but I don’t see it flying in the playoffs.

Everybody remembers the 2010 playoffs and how we got run out of town by a big team… I just see that happening again. Call me an idiot, but I’d rather have 3 additional Bourques, than have Desharnais, Gallagher, and Gionta. By that, I mean I’d take 4 players of less talent but more size. Guys who can get 15-20 goals, 40 points, and have size, vs guys who might be good for 20-30 goals and 60 points but are small.

Let the hate begin!

• krob1000 says:

Desharnais , Gallagher and Gionta are all playing right now while tough physical Prust, White and Bourque are all out of action.

• johnnylarue says:

I think trolling is usually most effective when it’s kept to simple one- or two-line posts.

• Habfan10912 says:

Ya missed a good game last night.

• twilighthours says:

This is one of the saddest posts I’ve ever read

• habstrinifan says:

Well I knew Debbie Downer. And Pal you are no Debbie Downer. She left me feeling much better. But like in your case, you wouldnt believe the things that she allowed in and outta her mouth.

Edit: Too easy man too easy: (just having fun with you).

• … in line with Skeptical et moi, I would somewhat agree with you Potty, although I wouldn’t be peeling away the Smurfs just yet. DD, I don’t get the extension at the time. Gally is just so much fun to watch and listen to, he has to be infectious, Gionta is sturdy and while they do get bumped off the puck and cross-checked to the ice, muscled out of the corners, three less skilled replacements won’t be the solution. Getting our bigger boys back, Chucky playing harder with more points (he’ll come ’round) and one forward addition of size should do the trick. Adding Kristo, who doesn’t seem to want to join this club i the first place, now that might be the issue and it likely will be a swap in a couple of years with one of our other Smurfs if he joins. IF I say…. more going on with Bergevin than we know. I have to trust him. He seems far, far more credible, qualified and skilled than the ghost.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• neumann103 says:

“Call me an idiot”

Ummm….

“Et le but!”

49. frontenac1 says:

For all you Amigos Stateside, hopefully there might be some RDS coming soon.Saludos!

• Thanks for the heads up. Mostly watch NBC when they have a game or one of the New York clubs play the Habs on MSG’s line-up. Actually like the impartial (for the most part) RDS commentary.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

50. Luke says:

Almost time to shut it down for the weekend.

Perhaps if I have too many adult beverages and lose my sanity, I’ll pop in here on game night. Otherwise, everyone have a safe and fun weekend. Celebrate the way you like to celerate, but just make sure you celebrate.

mmmmmmm Beers.

51. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I didn’t know, until now, the word EUPHORIA begins with a ‘B’

…BUPHORIA ?

…add it, Mr. Webster, to Our lexicon, will Ya please ? :)

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PK !!!

52. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

How in the world did Chiarelli thought he had a deal when it had to be cleared with Iginla? Did Feaster BS him? Bruins fans can’t be happy…too bad. :lol:

• habs-fan-84 says:

Put it this way:

Chiraelli is told by Feaster that Boston is included on a list of teams Iginla has agree to be traded to.

Feaster and Chiraelli hammer out a deal and agree to scratch the players involved (from their respective games last night).

From Chiraelli’s perspective, the Bruins are a team Iginla has agreed to be traded to (at least according to his list), and a deal is confirmed done between he and Feaster. As far as he’s concerned the deal IS done, all that was required was the formality of approval from Iginla (which had apparently already been given, albeit informally via his “list”).

Iginla obviously backed out last night and told Feaster to work something out with Pittsburgh instead…which begs the question, why include Boston on “the list” in the first place?

Oh, to be GM for a day…

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Ok…the list was a scam all along.

• mrhabby says:

should have only been 1 team from the beginning but on the flip side Uncle Feaster has to try to and get as much back as possible. Iggy controlled the whole thing with his NTC.

• Loonie says:

Makes you wonder how much tampering was going on. Pittsburgh obviously knew that Iginla would only go to them.

How’d they know?

Hmmmmm

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Scene:

Pens Practice Facility:

Crosby is skating during drills when his stick starts vibrating … “Hmm… the secret overtime team Canada communication system … could only mean that Iggy wants to come here … I better go tell Ray”

“Coach, I have to get something in the locker room, be right back”

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Boston must have been an acceptable destination, but not Iginla’s #1 choice. It’s possible, perhaps even likely that, had Pittsburgh not made an offer, Iginla would have accepted the proposed trade to Boston.

• habs-fan-84 says:

fair enough, you’re probably right.

• The Juice says:

Well summarized. Plus, if Iggy tells Feaster its only Pitt, what kind of negotiating ability would he have?

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

• habstrinifan says:

The final choice on the list was still subject to approval. That’s usually the case with any such list.

• wjc says:

Maybe the Pittsburgh offer was better.

wjc

Hopefully the snubbing of all things Bruins, leads to Chiarelli panicking and selling the farm for some average deadline deals

54. Lafleurguy says:

Thread started at 10:14, 5hr. 20 min. ago or 320 minutes ago. 715 comments means one every 30 seconds. If someone would only bash oh, a goalie, a no.2 defenseman, we could get this non-gameday thread over 1,000 in 2 1/2 hours or around 6:18 pm EDST.

“May you live in interesting times.”

55. MikeHabs says:

What a night! Bruins lost twice in a matter of hours haha. The comeback was fantastic and felt like a playoff game in my house. Price played well but did not get the help he deserved. Markov and Emelin will want to scrap that game completely cuz it was awful. Markov scored to tie but that is about the only ‘good’ thing he was noticed for in the game. Budaj stepped up when he needed to which was great to watch, especially in the shootout. He didnt over commit or bite, he stood tall.

Piece on deadline coming up: http://www.allaboutthehabs.ca/tick-tock-on-the-clock-the-trade-deadline-is-the-next-stop/

56. Un Canadien errant says:

Trying to catch up on all the posts, instead of getting some work done, but in case this hasn’t been posted, the news on René Bourque is that he’s in Atlanta working with Dr. Ted Carrick, who treated Sidney Crosby with his concussion problem. According to this report he’s making good progress.

———————————————————————–

• johnnylarue says:

Good find. Glad to see things are moving in the right direction with him.

Sucks he’ll essentially be starting from scratch all over again in terms of ‘game-readiness’. And I really hope this concussion won’t affect his willingness to get his nose dirty, which was integral part of his game this season.

How many times have we seen players, come back from concussions to try and play in the playoffs and they damage themselves worse. Perhaps how many times is the wrong phrase, but I certainly remember Marc Savard and his attempt.

57. Loonie says:

The Lecavalier situation always gets me laughing.

Here’s why. The second attempt at landing Lecavalier was successful from Gainey’s perspective. Plekanec, Gorges and Halak for Lecavalier and a 2nd was the alleged final deal.

Oren Koules, a tv producer who knows nothing about hockey approved of the deal along with Brian Lawton(an idiot). Len Barrie, the co-owner who is a hockey man and fairly well respected nixed the deal.

I say the Lightning would have won that trade by a landslide, the funny thing being that the two idiots were the ones in favour of it and intelligent hockey guy was the one who didn’t approve it.

And look where they are today.

58. Gally’s youthful exuberance is infectious. I hope everyone on the bench is catching it. Chucky, clearly having a bit of a black cloud issue the last 13 games or so. He’ll come around, but Gally, with his parents there last night, can’t remember when a Smurf like this was so bubbly, positive and a joy to watch on the Canadiens? Anyone remember?

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

59. HNS says:

Cindy is sqwaking about the preasure to win the cup now. That diaper jeanie is going to fill up real quick

60. jols101 says:

As far as our D are concerned, it seems we could use another veteran, especially if Diaz is out long term.

However, I don’t fully understand why Therrien is so reluctant to give Tinordi more minutes. I don’t see him as a liability out there. But if Therrien thinks he is and Diaz is out for a while, Bergevin should pick up a 6th Dman rental.

61. HabFanSince72 says:

Given that we’d like our powerplay to be better, I thought I’d go to nhl stats page and see Martin St.Louis’s powerplay production. It’s not bad (15 points).

Well … guess who leads the league in PP points with 19?

62. Hstands4Hockey says:

You’ve got to think Gallagher is the favourite for the Calder Trophy. He’s 3rd in rookie scoring with a significantly better +/- and less minutes played. Huberdeau is benefiting from top line minutes and top power play unit on a terrible team. He’s awful defensively and face offs. Conacher is just racking up garbage 2nd assists from Stamkos.

The only guy I can see beating him out is Jake Muzzin from LA.

Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
    @Hstands4Hockey

63. habs-fan-84 says:

Pretty interesting press conference with Chiarelli today.

64. piper says:

I’m glad Iggy chose the Pens over the Bruins. I still think Morrow will have a bigger impact in the Pens championship run.

65. Skeptical says:

Habs have a very good team. Not Stanley cup ready yet.

• Ah, Skeptical. I share your realism. Although, I wouldn’t even say very good team. Good team, yes, but look what’s happened without Bork, Bork, Bork, Diaz and Prust? We’ve lost three of our last five and our franchise goalie isn’t playing like a franchise goalie, sorry Price lovers. A once shaky back-up in Budaj is now being blown-up to play on Saturday. Yes, posters follow which way the breeze is blowing, but if Bergevin is the sharp, intelligent team builder, he won’t trade for anything and develop what he has. Plenty of dead wood n this team; Moen, White, Weber, Kaberle and then, there are the Smurfs that are one Cooke away from being Cooked!

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

66. ClutchNGrab says:

In a press conference today Chiarelli said the following:

“Now, these things happen all the time, more than you know, about deals going south for whatever reason. [...]”

Automatically made me think of the infamous Lecavalier deal and the rant Gainey made over Lawton after the season calling him discgraceful. I am more convince now then any other time that Lecavalier is the one that killed the deal.

Thank god for that.

67. habs001 says:

If both teams are healthy the Habs roster is very competitive with the Bruins roster…A playoff series between them may come down to pp/pk production..Bruins first in the pk but only 22nd on the pp…while Habs 18 on the pk and 9th on the pp…If the Habs can improve their pk that could be a huge edge(last time Bruins did not score on the pp but won in 7 games but i believe if the team reduces pp goals against it will make a big difference)

68. Un Canadien errant says:

So I’d posited that the Bruins and Penguins had submitted essentially equivalent offers for Jarome Iginla, which allowed Flames GM Jay Feaster to consult with Jarome and allow him to choose which team he wanted to join. Jay Feaster would obviously have told both teams to wait for confirmation, and then relayed the bad news to Peter Chiarelli upon hearing the decision. Fair game. Decent way to handle things. And to all the conspiracy theorists, I urged calm, it wasn’t like Jarome had refused to join the Bruins.

Except now, to hear Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli tell it, he was told it was in the bag, and now he’s steamed. And maybe Mr. Feaster, who was squirmy and hard to pin down on the Ryan O’Reilly offer sheet debacle, played the Bruins to extort more out of the Pens.

If so, I like this even more. I knew Jarome was a good guy, he’d never wear that Boston jersey willingly. And the Bruins are so used to having the road smoothed out for them by Daddy Campbell, Bill Daly, Brendan Shanahan, Jeremy Jacobs, Gary Bettman, and every single corrupt, brain-dead, blind, and intimidated on-ice officials, that they are now in a right dudgeon that things didn’t go their way.

Like I said, I’m liking this a lot.

———————————————————————–

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Chiarelli can’t complain because he did not make a better offer. If he gave Subban and the Flames still said no, then he would be right to be upset. He gambled and lost.

• mrhabby says:

I heard that Chiarelli offered a conditional 1st to Flames..Feaster said forget it and then they accepted Ray Sheros offer.

• cowellj17 says:

Why do people keep saying “Boston should have offered more….”
        They could have offered up Wayne Gretzky, and Feaster couldn’t have done a thing about it. Iginla chose Pittsburgh, end of it.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I think this was a consultation between the GM, ownership and player. If Jay Feaster had made it clear that the Bruins were clearly offering more, and that it would be a much better deal for the Flames, then Iggy might have gone along. If, however, he told him the offers were basically equal, then Jarome had more of a choice to make.

Hypothetical, but it somewhat answers your question.

• The Juice says:

Agree, Iggy said as much in his press conference…

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

• wjc says:

So the NHL is corrupt. Why bother watching. Pittsburgh offered a better package then Boston. Simple? Boston do not like to give up first round draft choices, they have seen how it hurt Toronto.

If you think the NHL is corrupt, why watch, do something else.

wjc

69. mark-ID says:

Shout out to Pleks who won to key faceoffs at the end of the game in the Bruins zone with the goalie pulled. I thought for sure they B’s would win them.

70. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Can we say the Plekanec/Gionta/Ryder line is the first line of the Habs now? Does Ryder get an extension?