‘Funnest’ game ever for Habs’ Gallagher

Canadiens rookie Brendan Gallagher wasn’t sure if he played his best game ever in Wednesday’s thrilling 6-5 shootout win over the Bruins in Boston, but he did call it the “funnest.”

Gallagher scored once in regulation time and added the winner in the shootout.

“He shows a lot of character by going to the dirty places and competing,” Josh Gorges, who has Gallagher living at his home, told reporters after the game. “He gets hacked and he gets whacked and cross-checked and he’s still going to the front of the net.”

Gorges added that Gallagher should be the favourite to win the Calder Trophy as rookie of the year.

“I don’t know if there are many rookies who have the impact he has on our team,” Gorges said.

Canadiens coach Michel Therrien gave his players a well-deserved day off Thursday. They will practice at 11 a.m. Friday in Brossard as they prepare to face the New York Rangers Saturday at the Bell Centre (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

After reports were swirling during the Canadiens-Bruins game that the Calgary Flames were going to trade Jarome Iginla to Boston, he ended up going to the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for a pair of forwards, Yale’s Kenneth Agostino and St. Cloud State’s Ben Hanowski, and a first-round draft pick.

(Photo by Michael Dwyer/The Associated Press)

Canadiens beat Bruins in shootout, by Pat Hickey

Habs show a lot of character, by Pat Hickey

Flames deal Iginla to Penguins, by Postmedia News

Penguins acquire Iginla from Calgary, by Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Canadiens vs. Bruins photo gallery

Bruins fall to Canadiens in ugly fashion, by Boston Globe

Kick to the face, followed by kick to the gut for Bruins, by Boston.com

Bruins’ Chara carries a big stick, by Stu Cowan

Habs prospects on display at NCAA tourney, by Pat Hickey

Captain Gionta praises Habs coach Therrien, by Stu Cowan

Leafs win 45 consecutive Cups, by Pat Hickey

Pilote was heart of the ‘Hawks, by Dave Stubbs

It’s hard to stay healthy in today’s NHL, by Stu Cowan

Lightning rookie Conacher has something in common with Habs’ Gallagher, by Stu Cowan

1,374 Comments

1. buyme219 says:

input this URL:

( h t t p : // w w w . b u y 2 m e . u s / )

you can find many cheap and high stuff

WE ACCEPT CREDIT CARD PAYMENT

YOU MUST NOT MISS IT!!!

2. Scotty90 says:

We should get our hands on this guy and spend a bit of time with him to teach him hockey. Pop in front of the net and make things happen. Not a bad centre ice hit and can handle himself pretty well. Have following this fella fro a little while. A French speaking Montreal to boot… He would play/work extra hard… Imagine Horton was the recipient of that hit and Lucic the guy that steps in for revenge….ahahahaha
    MB…. I am sure he has crossed your radar (hopefully he has anyway): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOk-pJTTOik

3. habstrinifan says:

Immediately after Boston MT said that defensive side will have to be addressed. He could have simply been talking ‘coaching/practice’ or maybe they all went into ecunemical council mode and made some player decisions.

Can’t see Tinordi going down with Dumont and Weber and Beaulieu being ‘activated’ as purely non meaningful moves. Maybe Tinordi and Dmont going down. But both Weber and Beaulieu beig ‘activated’?

4. Phil C says:

“Dave_Stubbs (Dave Stubbs): #Habs call up Nathan Beaulieu. The plot thickens…”

Now this could be interesting, he can skate like an NHLer. It will be interesting to see if he can adapt his game to play MT’s system.

5. habstrinifan says:

DDO_Habs_Fan March 29, 2013 at 10:43 am:

“Deal coming… ”

Hope you dont mind me highlighting here DDO_. Off day today; enough time for ‘acquisition’ to get here; early deployment back to the farm for Tinordi and Dumont. Blunden kept.

I am with you DDO…. there’s a deal and player will be here by tomorrow…. Or you are wrong like hell and I am doing you a disservice by highlighting you here. LOL.

6. habstrinifan says:

Max Talbot anyone?????

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Yes please…excellent contract…only 29 years…old Cup winner.

7. habstrinifan says:

On the surface it does seem that Habs most pressing need is for a defenseman. But lets analyze the situation a bit. It looks very unlikely ( at least no indications otherwise) that Bourque nor Diaz would be back. Prust seems to be on the mend and will very likely play tomorrow.

Diaz had improved all around but prior to his departure his main contribution was as an ‘offensive’ threat. He certainly wasn’t a ‘clear-d-crease’ type D-MAN.

We have in our system Tinordi who will improve and Pateyrn who showed some promise. We do not have any ‘scorer’ in our system now. No one who we can bring up for real firepower or forward grit.

So let us say we want to pay as negligible a price to fill our two holes. Upgrade in forward size/scoring and upgrade in defense size/steadiness.

I dont think we would be able to do both. So we must prioritize.

I see a committee of Weber/Pateyrn/Tinordi and, if push comes to shove Kaberle, as being able to provise somewhat of an answer defensively more than ANYONE in the system providing a comparable answer offensively.

Now this scenario is being made with the assumption that NEITHER Bourque nor Diaz will be back this year.

Essentially I am saying we have ‘on hand’ better answers defensively than we have offensively. Not stellar answers but better than their offensive counterparts.

Therefore I say upgrade our offense with size/grit/and productive capacity. Dont ask me who? That’s above my pay-grade.

As an aside and disregarding all I said above:
    Anyone knows the status of B.J Crombeen. I see he is day to day injured. I put this out before and everyone said NO WAY. But if he isnt ‘injured goods’ and Tampa would give us Crombeen and a low pick for Weber (who after all is kinda a ‘young prospect’ with some proven NHL/AHL ability) I would do it. So we give them a young PP prospect and we get a pick and Crombeen. Weber makes 850.00 is RFA next year and Crombeen makes $1mil plus and is UFA next year.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I can’t see how Crombeen would make any sort of a difference for the Canadiens. Is he really going to come in and do any better of a job over Moen, White or Blunden?

• habstrinifan says:

I think he will…. but it’s just an idea. I wont wage my lunch money on it. I believe any of the three players you cited are expendable though.

• Hobie Hansen says:

If it were the beginning of the season and we had a hole for a 4th line agitator/enforcer I’d say go for it. But as the playoffs near, fighting occurs less and less. I think the only thing Crombeen possess that White and Blunden don’t, is that he’s a better fighter.

I think Moen is probably as good of a fighter and a better hockey player. And Crombeen is on par with Blunden or White in terms of playing ability.

What Montreal needs is more size and grit on their top 3 lines.

And don’t get me wrong, fighting does still occur in the playoffs, The Sens and Rangers and the Flyers and Pens were fighting like crazy last year.

I do eventually hope Montreal lands a real heavyweight that can play the game as well. I just don’t think Crombeen is much of an upgrade over anything we’ve got now.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I don’t mind getting a player like Crombeen as long as he can win some fights. He might be the worst dedicated fighter I have ever seen.

• Phil C says:

“Therefore I say upgrade our offense with size/grit/and productive capacity.”

The Habs, and 29 other teams are probably looking for this. ;-) On the flip side, there is not a lot available on the rental market, even without the size and grit. But if MB can pull a rabbit out of his hat, I’m all for it!

Tinordi and Pateryn are emergency call ups at best, not the answer to a deep playoff run. If Diaz is out, they should find a defenseman who can play 12 minutes a night of solid, dependable 5-on-5 hockey, maybe also kill some penalties. That should be available in the rental market.

8. mdp2011 says:

@JFChaumont: #Habs: Yannick Weber participe à l’entraînement.

9. habsfan0 says:

I remember the playoff round last year between the Flyers & the Penguins and the absolute sieve that Fleury and the Pittsburgh defence was.
    With all the upgrades that Shero has made,is this a team that is noticeably different on defence than it was a year ago?

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Nope…some argue worse with Orpick losing a step. Voukon should stabilize the goaltending though.

• habsfan0 says:

One concession that you have to give the Penguins though.
        Immediately prior to their current 14 game winning streak,and indeed,in their 1st victory of this streak,a 7-6 victory over the Habs,the Penguins were playing awful on defence.They have definitely shored up that aspect of their game with the same personnel.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Yup they shutout the Habs with two goalies. When they play disciplined, they’re very tough to beat.

10. commandant says:

Mitch looks at Ray Shero’s trade deadline moves since 2007 and calls him the king of the deadline deal.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• 24 Cups says:

I think the author missed the point on the Iginla deal. Shero didn’t
      make an incredible trade for Iginla. It was Iginla who made an incredible deal for Iginla.

The Boston deal (as rumoured) was a better offer.

Absolute agreement Steve, as someone pointed out yesterday, it was as if Shero knew Iginla was only going to the Penguins, so he only offered just enough, whereas Boston was trying to make a deal.

• 24 Cups says:

The Dallas deal works for both teams although the 3rd round pick is a head scratcher.

The San Jose deal was a bit steep. Shero overpaid but I guess he got the guy he wanted.

The Iginla trade was a gift that fell in Shero’s lap. Who knows what went on behind the scenes.

Having said all of that, Shero has certainly primed the pump. It’s all on Fleury and Vokoun now.

The Pens have peaked to soon! one lose and it is all over! a slow slide after that!
    On the other hand we have not shown our best yet! We can only get better.

• habsfan0 says:

I agree,Ian.
      The Mario Lemieux 1992-93 Penguins went on a 17 game undefeated streak,only to be eliminated that post season by Glen Healey and the New York Islanders.

12. commandant says:

Dumont and Tinordi sent to Hamilton.

Sounds like Prust is back tomorrow.

Not sure what they are doing with the 6th D spot? Back to Kaberle? or another callup?

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Deal coming…

I’m with DDO, I wonder if MB has perhaps found his Easter Eggs early this year and has a plan ready to Hatch.

• Mike D says:

Possibly to showcase Kabs for a trade? I’m hoping anyway.

I always thought Nashville would be a good fit for him. They could use a vet puckmover to help replace some of the skills Suter provided with Weber on the PP, and with their strong defensive system and goaltending, Kabs’ liabilities would be minimized.

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• Hobie Hansen says:

I can’t imagine any team thinking Kaberle, who’s still under contact next year as well, could possibly help a team. If Montreal is playing guys like Bouillon and callups from Hamilton over Kaberle, there’s no way a team would pay him $4.5 million either.

• kempie says:

I wonder if Beaulieu will get a look now. If Diaz’ season is in jeopardy it would make sense.

• If they want to move Kaberle and or Weber they got to be show cased a little don’t you think?

:lol: imagine they get PP time and start lighting up the Rags then management would be fooled into keeping them.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

JB from Calgary for their second round pick – Feaster has to fully tank to improve the quality of the pick!

Not as crazy as it sounds if JB is willing to come here. He is paid slightly less than his cap hit and his money comes from kaberle and then goes to Subban.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• RockinRey says:

They have a couple of tough decisions to make on the defensive side and I think they have no choice but to shore it up to make any noise. .

Ideally they need a guy who is shut down. If they are required to play a less robust style Kabs ( move him in for a game or two) can be the guy to serve up the rockets by PK. They have given Weber, Kabs, Tinordi, Pateryn a small sample size to seize the role left open by Diaz’s injury. Clearly nobody is up to the task.

Gorges, Emelin and Frankie b are similarly limited offensively but they will need the depth provided by a couple of those names in on the back end if they hope to progress beyond the first round.

Shows you how a couple of the picks and assets that were mismanaged by the previous regime could be useful now. Just imagine what they might have had in prospects that they could dangle.

13. Not much for hockey tonight, but tomorrow will rock all day long!

Jets vs Canes (big for here)
    Leafs and Sens . Leafs win could tie them for 5th.
    Habs vs Rags. Need to stay ahead of the Bruins
    Bruins vs Flyers. Flyers are gonna put the Beat Down on those Nasty Whinny Bruins.

Anyone hear Knuckles yesterday? Funny how he trashed Marchand!

For the Goalie fans
    Dominik Hasek-0
    Evgeni Nabokov-0

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

• Phil C says:

That is some elite company for Price.

Considering that Plante, Esposito, Hall, and Hasek are in the top ten for all time shutouts, Price is well ahead of the pace.

14. Old Bald Bird says:

Question for fans more knowledgeable than I, which is just about everybody. Did Therrien implement a system specifically for the Habs’ personnel, or has he always used this system? I ask because people are giving him credit for implementing a system that suits this team, but I wonder if he simply ported his previous system with him and if it just happens to work well for this group or if he really designed or tweaked a new system.

• Same system as what he used in Pittsburgh. Actually the players got so complacent with it they started losing in the end. That’s when he left.

EDIT- JM uses the same system, it worked very well when Halak was stopping everything under the sun during the great run of 10…..that sounds odd.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• Phil C says:

I think the systems of JM and MT are very different. JM was all about the passive trap and getting pucks deep. MT is more about puck pressure both on the forecheck and the backcheck.

All teams trap, but MT’s trap is not passive at all, the red line is defended. JM’s trap would yield the redline all the time, resulting in dump-in after dump-in on their small defense. It was tough to watch.

• habstrinifan says:

I agree re difference. Even Pacs recntly said MT’S system is based on spending as much time in other eam’s zone as possible… which may explain our goals against and defensive pinching. I PREFER MT’S. Adjusting defensive responsibility just a bit which MT said after the Bostn game will be adressed. I just hope he doesnt get scared and go JM.

• Old Bald Bird says:

So, the consensus is that MT did not develop a system to suit the Habs?

• Phil C says:

I’m no smarter than you, but I will share my perspective, which is likely different than yours.

I’m not sure about MT’s time in Pittsburgh, but at the beginning of the season, he did talk about creating a system that plays to the Habs’ strengths: using their speed and activating the defense. Montreal are a very aggressive forechecking team, taking advantage of their ability to skate. It also prevents their smaller defense from getting forechecked themselves, an added bonus.

I think he activates the defense in the play quite a bit to take advantage of their offensively-minded defensemen. The Habs have to be among the league leaders in points by defensemen. I don’t think he would do this if he had a more defensive blueline.

If they had a different team make up, I believe he would make adjustments to the system.

15. RockinRey says:

Did not see the barn burner v Bruins but I thought it was an amazing comeback. I can be very critical of them when they lay an egg v Sabres or Isle. That said they have shown they can compete with the Bruins and Pens who have to be considered the prohibitive favorites.

If they went out and get a game breaker like St Louis or Briere ( not saying I want either one at their money) like there has been talk, and added another d man to take some pressure off of Markov and PK then I would be much more comfortable and think they can make some noise.

Pretty intoxicating season so far. More of the same please.

16. Clay says:

On another note, the Pens play the Islanders on Saturday…that’s just the kind of team to break the 14 game streak. Can be underestimated, but still has a ton of talent. Here’s hoping.

__________________________
    ☞ The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard Feynman ☜

17. Sportfan says:

LOL Ray Bourque would love to see PK as a Bruin yeah I don’t think that’s the only team that would want PK either way HE’s OURS!