Fun, but no more games

The Canadiens are done with their intra-squad games, and with a roster pared by five bodies they resume practice today with an eye to Wednesday’s exhibition season-opener vs. the Boston Bruins at the Bell Centre.

Both sheets of Brossard ice are scheduled to be busy from 10 a.m. to noon today. If you go, don’t expect the comfort of grandstand seating; it’ll be first-come, first-served against the glass so the players can work out in relative peace.

News and audio to come later.

The pressure’s on Pouliot – Pat Hickey

• He’s big, he’s bald, he’s the subject of a Dave Stubbs feature

Gabriel Dumont survives the first cuts

Pouliot and AK46 have to step up

Leblanc and Tinordi stick around for exhibition games

• Feature on Alexander Avtsin

Hockey’s Top Moments 2009-’10 features That Goalie

• Robert L on Newsy Lalonde

More trouble for Grabovski

1. ZepFan2 says:

On that note…

With Halak now in St. Louis, not much is expected of the Canadiens — except, that is, by the Canadiens themselves.

“We all know that Jaro was great, he was probably one of the biggest reasons we went so far,” center Tomas Plekanec
    told NHL.com. “If he didn’t play the way he did, we wouldn’t be there,
    that’s for sure. But if you look at the first series against Washington,
    we did such a good job defensively. Yes, he stopped the pucks and made
    unbelievable saves, but we blocked so many shots, we killed so many
    penalties and they had the kind of players on the power play that can
    kill you at any time. We did a hell of a job
    .”

And…

“I think (Halak) did really well, he was magic for us,” Lapierre said.
    But I think the team was good too. We scored big goals when it was time
    to score big goals
    , and we know that Carey Price will do the same thing for us this year.”

Canadiens out to prove skeptics wrong

Time to move on. Better players have been traded in the past and the Habs still persevered.

Go HABS Go!

————————————————————————

- Steven Tyler

2. WarHero says:

One more sleep folks! Let’s hope we get to see Avtsin, Tinordi and Leblanc in action against the B’s tomorrow!!

————————————————————————

3. Bar says:

You’re really only proving my point further with your childish actions. To be honest though, why should there be any talk of Halak on this site anymore? Do we see updates for Koviu, Komi, Kovy, heck…do they give game by game updates of how Rivet is doing in Buffalo? No, they are posting stuff about Halak because this is journalism, and conflict sells.

I do not agree with it, it’s sad with all the stuff there can be to talk about people cannot let go of Halak. Here I am being part of the problem by discussing it as well.

~Habs Fans: Killing Prospects is a past time!~

4. derfab says:

Coffee thoughts:

1- In a very short time, it could be tough to keep Eller out of a top 6 spot.

2- With Hamr, Spacek and Gill near the end, and Markov unsigned, Gauthier has to be looking for another young d-man to grow with PK and Gorges.

3- Don’t see PK with Markov because both want to be QB.

3a- Why are virtually all great offensive D-men left-handed shots?

4-Grabovski is innocent because the girl would know how to punch and defend better.

5. TorontoHabsFan says:

Nice to see Dumont achieving his goal of playing in a pre-season game this year. It means I’m one step closer to my goal of owning a Gabriel Dumont Habs jersery! :)

6. Mattyleg says:

Between Sergei dragging his butt in Nashville and Grabovski brawling with auto-mechanics, AK46 is one of Belarus’s last hopes at salvaging some dignity in the NHL…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

7. Mr.Hazard says:

Hey Stubbs, watch out! According to Bar, mentioning Halak on here makes you a shit-disturber!

“Shit-disturber” -Bar

8. Chorske says:

Stupid but healthy.

Mock Burke all you want, but there is no doubting the man’s ability to say something memorable.

9. Clay4bc says:

LOL…

You know, I haven’t thought about or mentioned Halak in a month or so…but saw that piece on TSN about him today (yesterday), and got to feeling a little nostalgic.

I can see the players getting pissed…and I’m all aboard with Price, as soon as the puck drops. (Let’s hope Price is “all aboard” with the Habs!). But i still have the deepest respect for Halak. That guy can play on my (fictional) team any day, even if it’s just as a back-up.

And Tony…Jesus! The guy watches (and believes) Fox news…what do you expect from someone like that?

__________________________

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.

– George Orwell –

10. rocketsglare says:

Although Avitsn will more than likely start this season in Hamilton, I can’t wait until he plays for the Habs

and hopefully within a year or two. He needs to first beef up and learn the speed and power that the N.A.

game is played at. But once he begins to play that game consistently in Hamilton he will no doubt be call-

ed up and that should be fun.

11. ZepFan2 says:

The thought crossed my mind. lol

It does show that even the players themselves are getting fed up with the notion Halak did it all himself. Like I posted to Tony the troll on the other thread. It takes a team to win.

————————————————————————

- Steven Tyler

12. Bugs says:

1) Yeah? How’s that? Cuz in a very short time, it could be tough to keep Poolio and K Senior out’ve a top 6 spot if they turn on the juice. Or Cammy, Gio and Plecky could get injured and then, there’d be no keeping OFF Eller of a top 6 spot. “In a very short time”…anything could bloody happen. … But thanks for the heads-up.

2) Isn’t that guy Ryan O’Byrne?

3) So let’em both be QB. Two QBs on the same power-play? What’s wrong with that? What, they’ll hog the puck and skate into each other like Keystone Cops? C’mon. Two QBs on the same PP is a GOOD thing, Derf; I reckon they’ll very much ENJOY being paired on the same PP and the team’ll be better off for it, imo.

3a) Because 70% of players are left-handed shots.

4) Grabovski is innocent because the girl woulda beaten the sh*te out’ve’m if anything had really gone down and he’d be tryin to sue HER.

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

13. Clay4bc says:

QUICK – tell him to “go cheer for the Blues!”

* :) *

__________________________

– George Orwell –

Droning is what Halakians do. Tanking was my schtick. There’s a difference. Also my panzer division scared the Habs into overachieving and not actually tanking. The gist of the tankology course was that the Habs need some top prospects. The good news is that Halak was traded and not lost like so many others before him. Buy low and sell high is how Halak’s tenure went. My point is that the lest we forget scenario is very old.

Furthermore, the rest of the Habs have something to prove, that it wasn’t all Halak, because it wasn’t.

Take away any of the following and the Habs falter:

1) Halak

2) Gill and Gorges

3) Cammy

4) The team

Another thing, I was the foremost Halak supporter while he was a Hab. Who else penned “Halak the way you move” and “Jesus Price Superstar”

The point is this Halak obsession is only going to motivate the Habs that much more.

15. Clay4bc says:

Consider this then…if what you claim is true – that “this Halak obsession is only going to motivate the Habs that much more.”, then you should thank me for bringing it up, as I am directly responsible for getting the Habs to play better.

;-)

__________________________

– George Orwell –

16. Oddball says:

“Clearly we are worse in goal, though…”

It must have been a different defeatist who wrote this blanket statement. I’m sorry, I didn’t know you were schizo, my bad. I wonder what happened to your “I’m entitled to my opinion and so are you” pep talk you gave to HH earlier. I guess that only goes one way, eh?

Hey Clay, while I’m pissing off, how bout you go and try pissing up a rope?

..always with the negative waves, Moriarty, always with the negative waves..

We all are directly responsible for the Habs playing better. Except Tony. He’s just a pain in the ass.

18. Clay4bc says:

LOl…read your tripe again, and tell me why you’re wrong. Can’t see it? Well, I’ll tell you then. Our being “clearly worse in goal” has nothing to do with “who won the trade”. Eller may be great (or not). So might the other fellow (or not). But if you think that replacing Halak with Auld is a wash (or that we are better for it), then I want what you’re smoking.

And the laws of physics suggest I can’t “piss up a rope”. So unless you’re paying for a space-shuttle flight (you know – so I can be in zero-g), I respectfully decline your offer.

__________________________

– George Orwell –

19. Oddball says:

Hey Swifty, there’s a restrictive item in the NHL CBA called a ‘Cap’ you should look it up sometime and then look up the word ‘reality’ although someone who sits on their computer all day LOLing, like a pre-pubescent school girl getting her first text message, might have a hard time figuring that one out. There wasn’t 6.5 million in the bank to keep both and no matter how much you whine about it. Maybe Auld for Halak isn’t a wash (and I say maybe, because one playoff hi-light reel doesn’t make a career), but I say Auld and Plekanec for Halak is.

You don’t need a space shuttle, you can just jump off a cliff with the rest of the lemmings. Just make sure to bring a rope.

..always with the negative waves, Moriarty, always with the negative waves..

20. Clay4bc says:

LOL, you’re funny. An annoying hypocrite, but still funny. All last season you droned on and on about “tanking”, with nary a bad word to be heard from me about your singular vision. Now I want to pay respect to the hero of last season (the last nearly 20, actually), and you somehow take offense. You are of course free to say what you want (even to disagree with Brian Gionta, whom I quote verbatim in my post, if you please), just try to keep in mind that my opinion is equally valid to yours. The only difference being that I acknowledge your right to your opinion, and you would deny me mine.

__________________________

– George Orwell –

21. Oddball says:

Just because Gionta makes a positive comment about a team mate during the heat of the play offs, doesn’t make Halak, the next Patrick Roy. Why don’t you wait a few months and let things perculate before you start making blanket statements about who won in Blues / Habs deal? Or are you one of those “fans”, who’s all set to start booing before Price even touches a puck?

..always with the negative waves, Moriarty, always with the negative waves..

22. Clay4bc says:

Hey there Slick…why don’t you take some reading lessons. Go and READ my original post. Note carefully the last line before my signature. What does it say? In case you can’t read (which I think may be the case), it say’s “Go Price”. Got it?

Good, now piss off.

And FYI (and again proving you can’t read), I made no statement here (“blanket” or otherwise) about who “won” the trade.

__________________________

– George Orwell –

23. BJ says:

Good morning to you all from Germany. We are getting set for exhibition games and refining the roster for our 1st game vs Leafs. To borrow on Smart Dogs 5 question scenario, I would like to ask the following questions:

1) Will we regret the departure of Halak?

2) Will we see any new unexpected faces in the lineup for the season opener, if so who?

3) Will Pouliot and AK 46 perform to expectation?

4) Will Markov be re-signed?

5) Are we a better team than last year?

24. G-Man says:

1. Yes 2.No. 3. Yes- if expectations are low. 4. Yes 5. No.

25. RGM says:

1, I won’t personally because I don’t live my life that way. I’m optimistic that Carey’s going to make a lot of people forget about Jaro.

2. Depends – does anybody expect Pacioretty to make it at this point? I think he might be there.

3. Pouliot I’ve got higher expectations for than Kostitsyn. If he hits 20 goals I’ll be happy.

4. I believe so.

5. Ask me again after they’ve played a few games. On paper, I think the core group will be strengthened over last year since they’ve had a full season to come together. There’s some question marks around the team, to be sure, but they’ll be answered in relatively short order.

26. SeriousFan09 says:

1. Depends on how Carey plays.

2. Doubt it, roster is more or less fixed.

3. I expect one of them to falter, but I’m favouring AK to be the one that excels.

4. Yes

5. Among skaters? Yes, but we did lose goal depth no matter what colour your glasses are.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

27. Psycho29 says:

1) A lot of people will, no matter how well Price plays. Halak is gone, time to move on …

2) Doubt it…but that could change a month into the season depending on how AK, Pouliot and Darche perform…

3) I think AK will have a good season. Pouliot….not so sure…

4) Yes Markov will re-signl

5) Yes…I am more confident than same time last year. We will have a captain and I like the team chemistry this season. Going to the Conference Finals was good for the younger players. I think Eller will be a nice surprise…plus we have Subban for the whole season.

28. CDH says:

1. No. He`s gone give it up already!

2. Nope.

3. With one less distraction I`m hoping AK gets his game on.

4. Yes.

5. So far so good…

This looks good on Grabovski!

30. le_vrai_jacques says:

He’s no longer with our team. GET OVER IT! Time to move on.

31. madcap_habsfan says:

all the arse saw was a habs jersey, either he’s really effing bitter or he thought it was one of the kostityn brothers in disguise(cause he wanted to fight them,,was it them or sergei in the streets)

-”People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” Chuck Palahniuk

32. Clay4bc says:

Lest we forget…

“Huge saves. Big, big-time saves. We got two
    early goals, we wanted to get the lead, and then he shut the door. It
    was him from that point on. And it wasn’t just the amount of shots, he
    faced a lot of quality shots. He’s unbelievable.”

Brian Gionta regarding Jarslav Halak

Go Price…

__________________________

– George Orwell –

Nobody’s forgotten but you can be forgiven for droning on and on about it. I recommend you move on. The trade is a done deal. Eller is a Hab, Halak isn’t.

34. susannnnnn says:

will tomorrow’s game (or any of the preseason games) be on the internet anywhere? sorry for the naive question – I’m new to this.

35. BJ says:

The best I’ve found for hockey is this stream. You have to be a member and pay but its excellent. All games are archived and the stream is excellent. Its full frame with no skipping. From here in Germany it makes following the Habs possible as the games start at 1:00 am and I usually watch the archived games in the morning when I get up at my leasure. So you have the option live or archived. They also have all teams so you can watch whatever team. Last year I saw 5 of the 6 pre-season games as well. Also avalable are the entry draft, NHL awards, World Championships etc.

36. Everlasting1 says:

atdhe.net

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

37. Clay4bc says:

that’s pretty much – actually, exactly – how I see it…

__________________________

– George Orwell –

38. Oddball says:

The simply addition of PK and Eller to our roster makes us a better team.

Now if someone can kick start Pouliot and AK, look out.

..always with the negative waves, Moriarty, always with the negative waves..

39. G-Man says:

Agree with PK improving the D slightly- Eller is an uknown with 7 NHL games.

40. Oddball says:

Are you saying PK is slight improvement over Bergeron or Brisebois? The kid has the potential to win the Calder this year, has bulked up and is a threat to any unsuspecting forwards and unlike the other two, can actually play defense.

I will agree with your comment about Eller being an unknown commodity, although I believe that he is best top six forward prospect we have had in a long time.

I forgot to add that the addition of a happy healthy Markov for most of the season, and if we can avoid untimely injuries to key players like Cams and Gionta, can only make the 2010/11 version of the Habs a better team.

..always with the negative waves, Moriarty, always with the negative waves..

41. Clay4bc says:

I did not include PK in my assessment, as he played in the playoffs for us most of the games. The question was “Is the team better than last years”, and PK was on that team. Of course he is an “upgrade” over Bergeron defensively, but certainly not offensively, given what he showed last season. I’m glad Bergeron is gone and all, but we will miss his goals from the point. PK is young, and I’m sure will make many mistakes. He needs some time to mature – but certainly he is an electrifying player to watch.

Clearly we are worse in goal, though…

__________________________

– George Orwell –

42. SeriousFan09 says:

Subban’s got a great shot but he didn’t get to use it because JM was basing the PP around MAB using his slapper in the playoffs, pair Subban up with Markov when he gets back and you’ll see him getting fed for the 1-timer and he also has a great wrister.

Subban had exactly one less goal than MAB in the post-season as well but with 4 more assists. He’s a much more dynamic player for creating offence than MAB and prevents a lot more missed opportunities since he won’t stare at the puck dumbly when it dribbles by him when he’s manning the point as Bergeron so often did.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

43. G-Man says:

Markov is not healthy yet and Hamrlik is injured. Does the Habs D look better now? Answer: no.

44. habs03 says:

With Subban being a RH shot, its actaully going to be intersting seeing how we set up the PP, two years ago we triedMarkov on the right side on the PP and it didn’t work too well, so if you play Markov on the left side and Subban on the right, we won’t be able to set up the one timer, I wonder how Kirk is work the PP.

45. Mark C says:

I’ve been wondering about this too Habs03. For the better part of the last decade, the Habs PP has only produced at a high level with a left hand point shot playing the right side. From Souray to Streit to Schneider  (after the failure of the Tanguay and Markov experiment) to MAB, the PP has worked best with that LH shot taking one-timers from the right side. Hopefully Spacek gets his shot back because I have a feeling he will be important to the PP this year.

46. Oddball says:

Markov IS skating, and he IS scheduled to return soon, unlike last year, where he was lost for half the season. Hamrlik tweeked his knee, he does not require surgery or months of rehab and says he should be ready to return before the start of the season. I might add that he did miss 7 games last year, even if he is not back first game, it still looks better than last year

……so yes, the D looks better this year.

..always with the negative waves, Moriarty, always with the negative waves..

47. Oddball says:

“Clearly we are worse in goal, though…”

Well I don’t profess to own a crystal ball, but I’m willing to let things play out before a make a rash judgement on a the pros and cons of two young goalies. Can you say Theodore or Huet?

..always with the negative waves, Moriarty, always with the negative waves..

48. G-Man says:

Keep telling yourself that.

49. SeriousFan09 says:

A MAB-less Defence is automatically a better defence.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

50. Oddball says:

Great counter rebutal to my points. You must have been on the debating team in school.

“The SKY Is Falling”, Chicken Little.

..always with the negative waves, Moriarty, always with the negative waves..

51. The Cat says:

For number 5, despite the optismism, I dont see how a team replaces 2 guys that were huge with guys that havent proved themselves as an improvement. Theres nothing wrong with optimism but the English are the same with soccer every time England enters the Euro or the World Cup: unreasonable expectations caused by fan hysteria.

52. Offensive DMan says:

Fearless prediction:

At least one of Pouliot/Kostityn will not be with the team come March, and probably sooner.  There are too many hungry guys waiting in the wings that are gonna take their spot, unless they have an epiphany.

You can’t teach heart, and neither has it, that’s the problem.  You can break your pick on guys like this.  Those two had better find it fast.

OK, who replaces them, assuming they don’t step up, and when?

53. habs03 says:

I think Pouliot has a longer leash, even though he is about 23, he was in a bad situation with the Wild, they just ruin young players, as for A.Kost, this year is make it or break it for him and O’B, honestly I hope A.Kost scores 30 and we trade him in the offseason while his value is high.

54. CDH says:

Avtsin sounds like he’s got a good head on his shoulders. Now lets see if it reflects in his skill and maturity as a Hab.

55. habinypsi says:

I know that AK and Chicken have been getting a lot of heat, but they are playing average for their roles.

56. pmaraw says:

NHL 11 – my club made top 40 in the Elite league last night, w00t!!! I bet HIO could put together a pretty good club in NHL 11

57. habs03 says:

Hey I have a question, maybe you can help me, I want to do Be a GM mode, but Leblanc, Avtsin, and Tinordi are not on their OHL/QMJHL/ and the AHL for Avtsin, do you know when roster updates are going to be made so I am able to use their players?. Thanks for the help.

58. habsguy says:

Gotta agree with you on that one 24,  it would look good on any leaf,  but because it’s him,  it’s even sweeter!!!!!

59. WarHero says:

As soon as the season starts I would think. Check the EA site :)

————————————————————————

60. scrowe21 says:

Yeah they usually put out a roster update once the season starts..first week of october is my guess. im waiting for the update to start be a gm

——–

My spinorama shootout goal with Cammy

61. pmaraw says:

It would figure that HIO members play Be a GM mode LOL irony

I bet Timo plays Be a GM

62. WarHero says:

It’s just so much fun and can be very tricky sometimes with the Cap :)

————————————————————————