Fucale looking forward to world junior challenge

Goaltender Zach Fucale, selected by the Canadiens in the second round of this year’s NHL entry draft, was at the team’s practice facility in Brossard Monday as Team Canada’s world junior team prepared for a series of exhibition games later in the week in Lake Placid, N.Y.

The summer camp is the first step toward selecting the team that will represent Canada at the world junior tournament slated for Dec. 26 to Jan. 5 in Malmo, Sweden.

In Lake Placid, the site of Team USA’s Miracle on Ice gold medal at the 1980 Olympics, Canada will play Finland on Wednesday, Sweden on Thursday and the U.S. on Saturday.

“It’s fun to be part of the big stage like this,” Fucale told The Canadian Press. “The difference between the under-18 team and the junior team is huge.

“You feel it right away. The (intra-squad) game today was really intense. I can’t wait to go to Lake Placid and play against other countries.”

Fucale led the Halifax Mooseheads to the Memorial Cup championship last season.

(Photo by Graham Hughes/The Canadian Press)

Flames pick Monahan scores twice in junior camp scrimmage, montrealgazette.com

Junior camp to include three games in Lake Placid, HockeyCanada.com

1. KareemWillie says:

Very good information. Lucky me I came across your blog by accident (stumbleupon).
    I’ve bookmarked it for later!

my website Background checks review

2. Ron says:

New thread…

3. Luke says:

All this steroid/creatine chatter and now I’m seeing it suggested That I may also like:

“The most important way to maintain a great physique in your 30s, 40s and beyond.”

Big Brother is watching… and it’s kind of creepy.

4. Chris says:

Tuesday rant: I once again came across a reference to the ‘fact’ that the pressure of the sharpened skate blade on the surface of the ice locally melts the ice, which allows one to skate. This reference came from a skate manufacturer, no less. Sigh.

This pressure-induced melting mechanism is a tremendously popular science myth that has almost universally been adopted as fact despite being largely incorrect. The real explanation for the thin water film that lowers the friction between the skate and the ice are still a bit elusive (defects in the ice crystal lattice at the ice-air interface, friction-induced heating due to skate plate moving on ice, etc.), but the pressure-melting theory has largely been debunked for skaters less than 750 kg in weight (i.e. about 5-10 times the weight of the heaviest humans).

5. The Juice says:

Sober thought:

Just did some research and found out that Joonaas Naatinen represents the last vestige of the Patrick Roy trade with the organization.

What an unmitigated disaster that was…
    __________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

• savethepuck says:

That trade was nearly 18 years ago. Can you explain how Nattiinen is linked to that trade?

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Habfan17 says:

Yes, please explain since Nattinen was drafted in 2009 and Roy was traded in 1995. Is there something I am missing? Did the Habs receive the 3rd round pick in 2009 from Colorado as part of the deal? How else could they be connected?

Habfan17

• HabFab says:

Schneider trade with Atlanta.

6. Thurston says:

Not sure if this was posted anywhere, but early reports indicate that Collberg’s injury may not be overly serious:

Good news, thanks for the link, hopefully it does indeed prove to be nothing more than a twisted knee. That would have sucked if he had an MCL or ACL injury.

7. frontenac1 says:

Creatine? Is it any good for your liver?

8. Chris says:

People…Lars Eller is not “juicing”.

People are basing his “rapid” weight gain on the weight he was listed at last season by the Canadiens (6’2″, 209 pounds). The NHL numbers were not generally updated last season due to the lockout. Eller started last season around 215 pounds, not 209 pounds.

As a second example, consider Alex Galchenyuk. He was listed at 6’1″ and 196 pounds. But if you go over to the Sarnia Sting page for last season, Galchenyuk was listed at 6’2″ and 205 pounds. The most recent numbers I had heard when Galchenyuk was called up by the Habs were 6.2.5″ and ~210 pounds for Galchenyuk.

I’m all for a discussion of PED abuse in hockey…it is rampant. But if we’re going to try to identify offenders, let’s at least use the right numbers.

For the record, I do not believe that steroids are a big problem in hockey. The IIHF DOES test for this pretty strictly, even if the NHL does not (they do during the season, but off-season testing is minimal). This means that most of the players that have seen any duty for their national teams (a list that includes Price, Subban, Eller, Plekanec, Diaz, Kaberle, Pacioretty, Gionta, Budaj, Markov and Emelin from the Habs) would be absolutely foolish to be engaging in that type of stuff. I will throw in the caveat that they only caught one athlete at the London Olympics for steroids, a number that is frankly impossible to believe. That being said, to get the benefit of steroids in the Olympics is much easier than for an NHL player, who has to sustain that strength over an 8-10 month season instead of two weeks.

What is almost certainly a problem is HGH, which the NHL does not currently test for and would have some obvious benefits for NHL players to help combat the wear and tear of so many games in a sport with so much contact, and amphetamines, which are widely used by hockey players at all levels. HGH is also somewhat difficult for the doping authorities to catch (they caught 2 powerlifters at the Paralympics in 2012, but those were the first two athletes ever caught using an HGH test).

The biggest offender is amphetamine abuse (ephedrine and pseudoephedrine), which is rampant at all levels of hockey.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Agree but remain torn between cynical resignation and high-handed outrage.

(Separately, Chris. A few days/threads ago I meant to ask you about playing soccer as well as hockey — did you grow up playing soccer or did you take it up late?)

• Chris says:

Grew up playing soccer, as my father was born and raised in Denmark.

Took hockey up late, due to hopelessly weak ankles that allowed me to badly roll my feet outwards in skates. Fortunately, I suffered many badly sprained ankles over the years from soccer, which tightened up the ligaments on the sides of my feet. Combined with better fitting skates these days (and more money to buy them with), I was able to get into hockey later.

My main sports are probably soccer and tennis. I love hockey, but I’m getting to the age (late 30′s) and fitness level (not awesome) where I worry a little about heart issues. I don’t want to be one of those weekend warriors who keels over at 45 because he wasn’t listening to his heart when it complained about hockey. :)

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Hey thanks for that.
          Interesting similarities and differences. Although I never figured this out until it was way too late (in my 40s, living in Ireland so no hockey, no chance to try again!), my ankles were ridiculously weak (blades parallel to the ice!), extremely painful, my Irish parents didn’t recognise the problem and I ended up playing very little hockey (even with an outdoor flood-lit rink directly opposite our house in Montreal). So did wrestling, basketball and football (gridiron) instead, took up rugby when I knew I was going to finish school in Ireland. Eventually destroyed my shoulder in my 20s, although only in the last few years have I had to give up basketball (and recently shaving right-handed!).

One of those guys who finds it much easier to do fitness work if I’m playing a sport, on a team, in a league. 5-aside indoor soccer is massive here (like garage league hockey in Canada), and might be my only option since games not involving arms are few and far between.

But: old dog, new trick (which is why I asked you. Turns out you’re the opposite: young dog, old trick!).

Cheers

9. Dunboyne Mike says:

If it’s widespread, then the use of PEDs is not in order to gain an advantage. It’s to keep up.

Elephant in the room. And as fans we’re complicit.

10. derfab says:

Steriod use is a big problem. It is especially evident in all professional sports, but particularly in the more brutal and physically punishing ones like hockey. If we are to judge by appearances alone, NHL players seem to have a free pass. No one gets sanctioned. Enforcers die. And the suspensions handed out by mlb are proof that there is at least tacit approval for their use in baseball. Go ahead and do it if it helps you play better and generates excitement, but don`t get caught or we`ll have to huff and puff…and slap you on your puffed up rear…millionaires in pajamas…people like that crap?

11. JTT says:

I think MB will take a good look at Dumont Bournival Beaulieu and Pateryn in training camp Other than that. Can’t see him making any big moves.

Habs will do ok without any major injuries. maybe a playoff team but nowhere near a cup team.

• Kooch7800 says:

Dumount is a feisty player and I like him but on our current roster it would really not help us in the balance department. We have way too many small guys

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

Lars Eller is going to have a break out year next season. As for his weight, he was listed at 209 lbs last season. If he is 220 now his weight gain was 11 pounds. There is no reason to assume that he took growth hormones. Looking at D.w.a.y.n.e T.h.e R.o.c.k J.o.h.n.s.o.n who claims to not be taking HGH’s and you get the idea. He insists that he did not use steroids to achieve his hulking physique.

Check out his daily diet:

Meal one: ten-ounce beef fillet, two cups of oatmeal, two-egg omelet.
    Meal two: eight ounces of cod, twelve ounces of sweet potatoes, one cup of steamed vegetables (onions, peppers, mushrooms).
    Meal three: eight ounces of chicken, two cups of white rice, one cup of vegetables.
    Meal four: eight more ounces of cod, two cups of rice, one cup of vegetables.
    Meal five: eight ounces of steak, twelve ounces of baked potato fries, a salad.
    Meal six: ten ounces of cod, two more cups of rice, another salad.
    Meal seven: thirty grams of casein protein powder, ten-egg-white omelet, one cup of vegetables, one tablespoon of Omega-3 fish oil.

• zephyr says:

when I was a football player in university, the strength coach of the toronto argos told me the best athletes in the world can put on a max of 12 lbs of muscle per year naturally. any extra weight is fat.
      great to see larry muscle up. i’d really like to see a few others do it too esp georges. he should be coming to camp at 210 – 215 lbs. diaz & prust could add some weight too. it sure didn’t hurt pk last year.

13. JTT says:

No comment on Eller he’s a wait and see type of player

14. Bill says:

@Burly: No-one should be surprised if a great many NHL players “juice”. The stakes are huge and the testing is a joke.

PEDs give an advantage or they wouldn’t be used despite all the risks. They could be the difference between getting drafted or not getting drafted, between making the pros or washing out, and between having a long career or a short one. Millions of dollars and a career are on the line.

The NHL makes it easy to cheat so I wouldn’t be surprised if the vast majority of players use PEDs of one kind or another.

Anytime I read about a player who goes through a major mass and strength gain, I wonder. Not about Eller, necessarily, his gain is fairly modest.

15. bwoar says:

@DunboyneMike

I’ll check for that German miniseries; still time for my WWII fix before hockey starts.

I wish the Military / History channels played more military history. Some f-face should get on that.

(Glad to see the mods are back from vacation. I’ll mind my p’s & q’s until the next twerp accuses one of our guys of juicing.)

“thoroughbred”

• Habfan10912 says:

Thanks for your book recommendation. I’m a big history buff. My kids call me a nerd. :)

• Dunboyne Mike says:

History Channel!
      For the life of me can’t figure out the rationale behind it. Maybe my definition of history has simply passed its sell-by date. Pawn shops and hoarding? Choppers? (or is that Discovery?). Used to read through the listings faithfully every week — no more.

(The mods cut their vacation short to deal with HF72′s juxtaposing of hockey fights and that which leads to hair growth on your hands!)

PED’s etc… in the NHL.

Accusing a player of “juicing” is to me completely different than not being surprised when you find out a player is juicing.

I am happy for Eller that he finally had his 2nd consecutive offseason where he could physically train. His prior two offseasons I believe were filled with shoulder surgery rehabs. This is probably also why in the past two seasons he was able to get some mass on his body.

I have no reason to accuse him of PED’s nor should anyone from a distance, but at the same time, I would not be surprised at whatever the percentage is of NHL’ers who do juice though.

17. jrshabs1 says:

Lars gains some weight and now he’s on the juice?. Is there any proof? Has he been named? BTW…it’s pretty easy to gain weight in the off season when all you do is eat and lift heavy weights. If Lars is 220 now I’ll bet you a dollar he comes into camp 205-210.

Go Habs Go!!

• jrshabs1 says:

…GSP walks round at 185-190..he fights at 170.

Go Habs Go!!

• junyab says:

Not true. He’s 170 at weigh-ins, after shedding water weight. He fights closer to his normal weight we he re-hydrates.

Lars might trim down a few pounds, but it’s unlikely he’ll have to shed 10lbs of fat. And won’t cut water weight like a professional fighter.

18. ZepFan2 says:

@HiB

I’m surviving, my friend!

Hope all’s well with you.

———————————————————————-
    Ka is a wheel.

“On we sweep, with threshing oar.
    Our only goal will be the Stanley Cup!” – Danno

For Your Life

19. mksness says:

Funny how when you mention the idea of NHLers using PEDs and all you get is that is normal muscle growth. People who think hockey players are immune to this drug scandal are living a sheltered life.

i don’t care if they use to be honest

• doc359 says:

I’m sure many do, but someone putting on weight should not be an excuse to accuse them of PED use.

• on2ndthought says:

As I mentioned below, the cream of the crop gets tested during the WJC, the World Chamionships, and at the Olympics. Every system will have cheaters, but this regular testing help keeps hockey (and soccer, I imagine) cleaner than most.

“a cannonading drive”

• Chris says:

We know that soccer has rampant drug abuse from Operacion Puerto, which busted a number of professional cyclists including Jan Ullrich and Ivan Basso.

The guy running the blood doping operation, Eufemiano Fuentes, has himself pointed out the hypocrisy of the release of the cyclist’s names but not the names of the soccer and tennis athletes that were also clients. Those names have never come out publicly, although there has been a tremendous amount of speculation about who was involved.

• Old Bald Bird says:

The reverse is true. Some are suspicious of a 7lb gain in a highly skilled athlete as a result of an intensive summer training regimen. I don’t think we should be making accusations too readily on that amount of gain.

20. Bill says:

Nice to see McCarron survive the first round of cuts for Team USA as a rookie. Tough luck for Brady Vail, sounds like he wasn’t on his game though.

21. on2ndthought says:

I’m posting here, but responding to the excellent DD discussion initiated by UCE, and followed up by Cal, Phil, Charlie, Justme, etc:
    I agree with the DD analysis. I would like to see him stronger, but that will never be his strength (?). Elusiveness and vision, with defensive short-comings. Finding a useful role for the skill set is MT’s job.

I just want to sound a warning about McCarron, DeLaRose, and even Tinordi. We are all looking forward to them stepping in to a big role with the big team. My concern is that mgmt allow them to develop into men before they are allowed to take on the role of physical imposition in the NHL. That is a very demanding load to put on a kid (young beast that he may be) Weight training helps, but my impression is that the average 25 – 30 year old is just plain stronger than almost any 19 or 20 year old. It seems like Lars is growing into his strength at 23, 24. I’m not saying to hold back the development of these players, just don’t ask them to assume a mantle before their time. I remember when Wendell Clark broke into the league, he was the muscle for a soft Leaf’s team and I felt the first couple of years of his career, (he was young 18, 19, 20?) cost him his long term durability; not because of his style, but because he was a teenager playing that style against men.

“a cannonading drive”

• Cal says:

Rushing kids to play a man’s game is always a mistake. It’s too easy (especially these days) for opponents to target them before they’re ready to do the job.
      This has to point to a change in philosophy from the front office on down to ice level. Kids should develop as long as possible in a situation set up for them to succeed. Playing against men won’t do it. That only leads to confidence lost.
      EDIT- For most, anyway.

Your example of Wendel Clark is a good one. He essentially sacrificed what could have been a much longer and a productive career for those Leaf teams. It’s a shame he was rushed as he was.

3 out of every 4 medalists at the last Olympics use creatine. It is a perfectly legit supplement.

The benefits are:

Enhanced muscle mass/strength
    Increased muscle energy availability
    Increased power output (more sets/reps)
    Weight gain
    Enhanced recovery after exercise

• twilighthours says:

and the negatives?

• Ed says:

so why do baseball players feel the need to use HGH if creatine is so effective? I know creatine works well for hockey players.

• Phil C says:

HGH has much broader benefits as it not only affects muscle growth, but improves energy levels, fat consumption, bone strength, etc, all aspects of your metabolism. It is also much, much more risky and dangerous if used improperly. Massive heads can be caused by too much HGH as it will cause all your bones, including your head, to keep growing, that’s why you see guys like Bonds with a big fat head.

HGH is pretty much impossible to detect in a test. This may be why it is so popular among baseball players, or cheaters in general.

• bwoar says:

If it’s your birthday, I’ve finally figured you out: HH = Hetfield. Get off the creatine and start smoking hard so you can play Tom Waits in the bio-pic.

“thoroughbred”

• zephyr says:

ATP is the body’s primary energy molecule but it runs out pretty quick. creatine helps the body build more atp quicker & that allows a weightlifter to recover faster & lift heavier weights – which builds muscle faster. I never experienced any negatives from taking creatine.
      from the u of Maryland:
      Creatine is a naturally occurring amino acid (protein building block) that’s found in meat and fish, and also made by the human body in the liver, kidneys, and pancreas. It is converted into creatine phosphate or phosphocreatine and stored in the muscles, where it is used for energy. During high-intensity, short-duration exercise, such as lifting weights or sprinting, phosphocreatine is converted into ATP, a major source of energy within the human body.

Source: Creatine | University of Maryland Medical Center http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/creatine#ixzz2bDQmjsKW
      University of Maryland Medical Center
      Follow us: @UMMC on Twitter | MedCenter on Facebook

Aaaah, what a wonderful morning. Saw a girl with what I can only think are the greatest legs in the world and an equally short skirt. Beautiful.

24. HFL says:

I know a thing or two about gaining muscle, and the fact that lars can gain 2 to 10 pounds of muscle withing 3 months is very questionable. If u are a body builder, and do everything corrects in terms of nutrition and training, u will be lucky to gain 7 pounds in an entire year. Im guessing he has either gained maybe 3, if his lucky, in muscle and the other 7 in fat. or his juicing… thats the only way u can generate that much muscle growth within that short of a duration. I personally have no problem if he is juicing, because lets face it, its a very competetive league, and i am sure there are many other who are doing just that.

• doc359 says:

Subban bulked up similarly last off-season and has videos showing his work out sessions if you want to see them. He had an extremely rigid nutrition and fitness plan. Not that ridiculous that Eller would do the same.

It is very possible for pro athletes, especially those that haven’t filled out there form, to gain large amounts of muscle as they grow into their bodies. one study (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/maki2.htm) says athletes could gain around 23 pounds a year, which would be just under 6 pounds in three months. Add in that Eller was a pretty skinny 2 years ago, and you can see that he could easily gain that weight. No doubt some of it is a little blubber and water weight that comes standard with anyone who is gaining and not on a specific lean-gains style plan, but I think you will be seeing a very naturally stronger Eller next season on the ice.

• The Jackal says:

It also comes down to genes and his training.
      You can healthily put on .5 pounds of muscle a week with the right regimen without any supplements other than a protein supplement.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Ed says:

that’s why I brought up the creatine below. I have seen young players put on 10 lbs of muscle over the summer using creatine and training very hard.

LOL, bwoar I gotta give you props man. When you decide to call someone out there is no sitting on the fence for you.

Reading your post had me laughing, as I figured out right away where you were going.

CHeers!

• bwoar says:

Thanks Burly. I oughta have a coffee AFTER I log in, the caffeine is affecting my performance.

Every time I see that 1989 Billy Ripken Fleer card, I still crack up. It was the first place I saw that word used.

“thoroughbred”

• twilighthours says:

You’ve got so much anger lately, Bwoar.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Well played.

• GEEZ! What’s the big deal? 20 pounds in a summer? I can do that in a month. Bread, pasta, cupcakes and beer. Load it on and then weights baby!

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• SmartDog says:

My brother wanted to gain some wait so drank a beer each night before bed. It worked. But I don’t think it got him into game shape.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• junyab says:

1lb of muscle a week is far from impossible. In fact, it’s usually the benchmark used by personal trainers and athletic coaches.

• H.Upmann says:

Probably looks fishy, but you can absolutely gain 10 pounds in 3 months. Sounds to me like Lars was gaining about 1 lb a week. He’s young, has nothing to do other than eat and work out. His carloric intake is probably pretty high, and protein-carb-fat ratio calibrated to make him gain and stay lean. And I’m sure the canadiens have him blasting all sorts of weights to get muscle growth every where.

In my opinion, gaining is not a problem, but staying lean, or maintaining it is much harder because of consistency etc.

• Matthew C says:

Although its always a possibility that some athletes are using something to help them get bigger faster, its not a far cry to believe he gained 7lbs since May, thats 3, almost 4 months. Seeing the determination he’s had in the past 1-2 years, I believe he could gain 2 lbs per month without the juice you mentioned.

____________________________________________
      Rename the Bell Centre the Bell Forum. – Maffu

• showey47 says:

wrong,i bulked up 20 lbs with intense muscle training in 1 hockey off season. One of the biggest factors in the ability to put on larger amounts of muscle in a short period of time is your body type.

25. frontenac1 says:

Mario took a year off for Radiation and Chemo for his cancer,then came back the next year and Won the scoring title ,beating Gretzky! Mario was “The Great One” amigos!

• The Jackal says:

Agreed Front, that’s what it is!

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• SmartDog says:

Mario won the scoring title THE SAME YEAR he was treated for cancer.

I watched both players play live. Mario was more dominant.

The best player to play the game. Apologies to the Rocket and Bobby Orr fans.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Timo says:

Lemieux was never had the benefit of the same level of protection Gretzky had. As an overall complete players, Lemieux hands down.

• SmartDog says:

Yep. Gretzky had a great supporting cast. Mario, not so much. Even Jagr, when he came along was playing behind him since they’re both centers.

Gretzky also had the benefit of being called “the Great one”. This is good (if unintended) marketing that makes people think he’s uniquely talented: a singular force in a universe of good to very good, with only ONE Great.

But if Mario’s last name had started with a G and Gretzky’s started with an M, their nicknames would have reversed and people would see Mario for what he was – the true great(est) one.

I believe this to be true.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• jctremblay says:

Gretzky was the best player I’ve ever seen.

26. Ed says:

I know a lot of hockey players are on creatine. I think it’s acceptable by NHL standards.

27. Dunboyne Mike says:

Good day, all. Non-hockey post.

August 6 — for what it’s worth, around this time of year I always read or do something connected to the bombing of Hiroshima. Such an important milestone, such a complex episode, so much death and suffering.

This year I revisited a Canadian film simply called “Hiroshima” (1996, dir Roger Spottiswoode). Made for TV, low budget, no big names, long and with lots of talk. But it’s excellent, mixing footage, re-creations and vet interviews, and showing both American and Japanese perspectives, AND it doesn’t attempt to shove one or other viewpoint down your throat. It essentially animates the facts as we know them and then leaves you to your thoughts.

• Cal says:

The day Reason failed and Pride cost first Hiroshima, then Nagasaki. Both are days to reflect on progress without foresight.

• bwoar says:

Great film, thanks for the reminder! This is an excellent Canadian production.

Imma let these guys finish, but the firebombing of Dresden was the greatest airstrike of all time!

“thoroughbred”

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Dresden and “carpet-bombing”, long before the term “corollary damage” was even invented. Major corollary damage at Dresden.

• bwoar says:

I just finished re-reading Slaughterhouse-Five, brought the whole thing back.

It’s too late for me to get in on the reading lists but I wish I knew of a similar book on the destruction of Tokyo, good old ‘Operation Meetinghouse’.

“thoroughbred”

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Thanks bwoar. I haven’t read Slaughterhouse 5 but have been intending to since reading some Allen Ginsberg earlier this year. I’ll also look up the Smith book below.

I presume you’re talking about something with a wider perspective than Lawson’s “Thirty Second Over Tokyo”? Can’t help, sorry.

I possess but haven’t yet seen a German TV miniseries called “Dresden” (2006) — have you seen that? I think it has a love story in it, which was (one of the things) that prevented “Pearl Harbour” from ever challenging “Tora, Tora, Tora” imo.

• Chris says:

For there to be collateral damage, there had to be a target of purpose in Dresden. There was not.

That was purely a vengeance strike. The industrial areas which were uses as the pretense for the bombing were almost completely ignored to target the civilian centre of the city.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Entirely correct. My use of the term represents inadvertent pro-fire-bombing spin. Yikes.

• Habfan10912 says:

Hi Mike! Funny, just finished reading “109 East Palace” a book about the scientist who developed the weapons. In addition to Einstein, who originally lobbied Roosevelt to support the project, many other scientist who dedicated themselves to the project, expressed remorse and regret afterwards. Their hope that after the world saw the destruction the world would come together to van these weapons and use nuclear power for the good.
      Well look for your film recommendation. CHeers bud.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Thanks, Jim. I will chase that one up. The conflict within scientists is well portrayed in a scene in this film (which is probably described in detail in your book) where three of them visit the house of Sec of State Jimmy Byrnes. They had a petition signed by over 70 scientists urging the President not to deploy the bomb. After assuring them that the American people wanted to see a return on the $2 billion invested, he promised to bring their concerns to the President. There is no record that he ever did.

• bwoar says:

I’d also recommend _Doomsday Men_ by PD Smith, on that same subject.

“thoroughbred”

28. commandant says:

After what feels like forever, we finally have some resolution in Phoenix.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

I mentioned yesterday, I am very cynical of this agreement. This to me is just the official spin put on a Bob Barker shellgame, which will set in motion the relocation of this franchise in 5 years. All the agreements between team and league, team and city, team and its lenders have a 5 year Get out of Jail free card in them. To me this is still a huge sham.

But Gary gets to run around like he save hockey in Phoenix… blah blah blah Gary!

29. twocents says:

Okay, so the Gretzky trade was a huge deal. I know that, lived through it. But, man alive this week long headline fest on TSN is way over the top. Like everything Gretzky.

Reminds me how much I never liked the guy when he played. A feeling that fades whenever he is not in the spotlight.

The last time it really peaked was when he did his “we are Canadians and everyone is against us” bit at the Olympics, when he was GM. The man is a self promotional machine and has a massive cache of sycophants.

The real problem for me is the fact that he never was as skilled at hiding his deliberate manipulations as he, or everyone in his circle, thought he was. His acting skills are on par with Keanu Reeves.

• HabFab says:

But… but… but, how do you really feel !

Good morning Eric!

• twocents says:

Hey Frank, hope you are well.

Yeah Gretzky has always riled me up. I mean I thought he was a truly great player and all, but the whole ah shucks thing rubbed me raw right from the start, and I was just a young grump back then.

• HabFab says:

Hope you are well also and I’m not too bad for a guy in his fifties. The hair is still there but so is a belly.

Sounds like you are describing many of us, perhaps off on the age by a wee bit though. ;-)

• HabFab says:

I suspect 90% of the regulars would fall into the 40-65 age range.

• wjc says:

40 to 65 range…..I.Q. sounds a little low….I would have though 65 to 85 would be about right.

wjc

• HardHabits says:

Speak for yourselves old timers. I am 50 years old and this morning I did 50 push-ups in one set. Then I did an 8 minute ab routine that consisted of crunches, side oblique crunches, toe touches, reverse crunches, side crunches, push throughs, leg pushes, alternating curls and curls. Then I rode my bike to work. After work I am going to the gym to lift weights (tonight I do chest and legs). My love interest says men would literally kill for my hair. :-D

Hormone supplements… right???

Just another form of juice :P

• frontenac1 says:

Gym? I liked gym in High School. My favourite class.

@HH, good for you bud. I may do similar, but instead will drive a cart for 18 holes with a Tall Can on every 2nd. End result is the same as I crawl away from the day feeling great!

@wjc, thankfully you are the intelligent one here. Afterall you constantly lower yourself to our low common denominator by gracing us with your presence. For someone of such a prescient mind, it is very big of you to constantly join in on the fun, despite knowing that you are at a complete different level from us.

So thanks again bud!

• HardHabits says:

I never did and never will take steroids. I do use creatine monohydrate and ingest loads of pure unadulterated whey protein powder. I rarely eat processed foods and I am a smoothie maniac. It’s all about life style choices. But my memory is fading because I am actually 51. That I attribute to my vaporizer. LOL

• on2ndthought says:

Happy Birthday HH. My morning workout: saw a couple of logs, dig a bit in the garden, haul a desk out for recycling. Evening workout, bend the elbow frequently, maybe that’s why I have no current love interest ;)

“a cannonading drive”

• frontenac1 says:

Happy Birthday amigo! In your honour today,I will jog half a block to the Saloon.(my cigar tends to go out at that distance) Saludos!

• Mavid says:

+1000 you should see the looks I get when say I was not a fan..great player for sure..but the ” Great One”..naw..I prefer Mario the magnificent myself..he could do it all..

I wonder how Gretzky would have fared had he been drafted to a team like Pittsburgh with no players around him. Mario had to battle language, culture and the fact he had little by way of team mates. Gretzky very quickly had a supporting cast of Messier, Kurri, Coffey, Lowe, Anderson, and some guy named Semenko riding shotgun for him.

I don’t dispute in the least Gretzky’s abilities, but I find many Cdn. hockey fans don’t respect what Lemieux was able to do in much different surroundings.

• wjc says:

Mario was better looking and french.

wjc

• on2ndthought says:

Gretzky had a better career, Mario was the best while he played.
        Sometimes Gretzky was surprisingly strong, the same way Joe Sakic was, not a fighter or a hitter, but he won a lot of physical battles for the puck he is not given credit for. Lemieux was obviously a beast, like Vinny or Jagr. Best individual performance in a playoff series ever: Mario against the North Stars early 90s.

“a cannonading drive”

• Sportfan says:

I like Gretzky, but I can’t stand the every year over hype of the trade by TSN and Sportsnet. We have gone through how many lockouts since then a lot has changed cause of them too!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• wjc says:

Montreal Canadiens fan complaining about the past and the hype.

Won 25 cups, most only heard about never witnessed.. Never, never ending.

Talk about the kettle calling the tea pot black.

Lock outs are fun, watching the anger, huffing and puffing, never again this, never again that, all for naught.

wjc

• Chris says:

I always found Gretzky hard to take, and I despised the hypocrisy of his taking the Lady Byng Trophy while simultaneously being one of the most vocal proponents of fighting in the game.

Hope all is well!

30. L Elle says:

Fucale, oh oh
    Fucale, oh oh oh oh
    Welcome to the madhouse crowds
    They will prosecute you, vowed
    We will diss the glow of your star that I know of
    Where goalies don’t enjoy peace of mind
    Let us welcome confusion and all disillusion will find
    Just like birds of a feather, a booing eventually to find

Fucale, oh oh
    G Fucale, oh oh oh oh
    No wonder my habby heart sings
    Promise has given me tings
    Henco cho grocery shopping rigorni mal peeyou
    Ma dipingeve le many e la fancia da boo
    Pot d’improwviso veniva dol downhill rapido
    E incominciava a Fucale nil backup infinito

Fucale, oh oh
    G Fucale, oh oh oh oh
    Nil boo, Bell crowds boo
    Fanice do stare at you
    G Fucale volato fanice peeyou in Hobbit del sole Ed ancora peeyou too
    Mentre il mondo pian Zamboni sparivo longtano over you
    Una Butterfly goalie suonavo shoot-out sieve mi

CHorus

Another NHL’er has opted for the KHL rather than finding employment in the NHL.

32. on2ndthought says:

The NHL has a testing policy, but it is not extensive to my understanding. What is apparently keeping the sport (relatively?) clean is the IIHF and WADA. Certainly the WJC (not sure about the under-18), the Worlds, and the Olympics are tested THOROUGHLY. This keeps the elite of each country (more or less?) clean. Since they form the core of the NHL, there is perhaps less institutionalized PED use than in the NFL (Peterson) or MLB (Braun). I’m not sure about the fringe players, but I know many NHL prospects don’t make the big-time because they never ‘fill out’. If PEDs were rampant this would not be common.
    but, WADA I know? Fucale

“a cannonading drive”

33. JohnBellyful says:

Another day in the life of Trevor Timmins, Super Scout!
    We find our hero in the produce department of the local super mart.

“Hey, Hettie, look, it’s Trevor Timmins!”
    “Who? Where?
    “Trevor Timmins, Director of Procurement and Player Development for the Montreal Canadiens, over by the cabbages. He just went behind the pile of rutabagas.”
    “You know his full title, Adeline? [shakes head] Why not just call him head scout?”
    “Hettie, mind your manners, it’s Super Scout! I’m going to ask him a question.”
    “Adeline, how can you be so bold?! He’s out doing his shopping, he doesn’t want to be bothered by fans asking questions about the team!”
    “Oh, Hettie, don’t be silly. I wouldn’t do such a thing.”
    [Sidles over to where Timmins is studying some greenhouse and field tomatoes]
    “Mr. Timmins! Imagine meeting you here. Looking to buy some tomatoes, are you? Me, too. Which one would you recommend?”
    [Timmins closely examines each bin, rolling his head from side to side to take in the tomatoes from every angle, hefting several in sequence before settling on the best from each pile, giving both a final, gentle squeeze. He hands Adeline the field tomato.]
    “This one’s better, Mr. Timmins?”
    “Yep.” [Timmins points a thumb at the other tomato]: “Too soft.”
    [Hettie picks up a huge cucumber and is about to put it in her basket, when Timmins stops her, returns the vegetable to its place and hands her a smaller cuke]: “Bigger isn’t always better.”
    [The same thing happens with the celery, Timmins replacing Hettie’s choice with his own]: “I prefer heart.”
    [Adeline holds up two small containers of spices, eyebrows raised. Timmins points to the one in her left hand]: “This one’s stronger.”
    [The two women follow Timmins to the personal hygiene section.]
    “Mr. Timmins, look at all these toothpastes. How can a person ever decide which one to buy?”
    [Timmins immediately strolls over to the shelves, grabs an Arm & Hammer Dental Care PM Fresh Mint, and hands it to Adeline] “Lots of grit.”
    [For the next 20 minutes Hettie and Adeline trail Timmins throughout the grocery store, getting his advice on every purchase, everything from sticks of deodorant to toilet pucks, before thanking him profusely in the parking lot for his help – he carried all 15 stuffed grocery bags to their car]

[Carey Price answers the doorbell and Timmins immediately thrusts a bag of groceries into his chest and storms off, yelling]: “Next time you do your own damn shopping!”
    [A stunned Price shouts]: “Was it Adeline?”

34. Old Bald Bird says:

I am sorry to learn that Shawn Burr has passed away. I taught him in grade 9, and he was a good kid.

SUMMIT HOTEL RATE AGREEMENT FOR NOVATEL
    7th Annual Hockey Inside Out Fan Summit

REQUIREMENT
    Arrival : Friday 25th, 26th October, 2013 – check-in 15:00
    Departure : check-out 12:00
    Housing Procedure: Individual calling
    Deadline: “September 25th 2013″
    Method of Payment : Individual

The hotel guarantees the below rates until “September 25th” 2013.
    After that date, the rates are no longer guaranteed

Tarification
    Single Double Triple Quad
    $119 $119 $144 $169

RATES
    - Are for single or double occupancy, Add $25 per additional person, max. 4 per room
    - Include Basic Internet Access (256kb)
    - Does not include high speed internet. a daily fee of $9.95 applies
    - All tax’s apply per room per night
    - Will be extended 3 days prior to and/or following your event, subject to availability
    - Are quoted in Canadian funds

METHOD OF RESERVATION
    - Individual attendees will be responsible for payment of their room, tax and incidental, as well as any cancellation charges if they apply.
    - One night deposit is required upon reservation. This is non refundable if cancelled.

- Individual reservations can be made by contacting the Novotel Montreal Centre Reservations Department directly by phone at 514-871-2138 or 1-866-861-6112 (USA and Canada) or by fax at 514-861-6470
    Callers must mention the group name HIO, Hockey Inside Out to ensure they receive the appropriate rate and are included in the guest room block.
    Novotel Montreal Center
    Chantal Morin

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

36. Un Canadien errant says:

Not to stir up the hornet’s nest, but does anyone else here get the vibe that we’ve achieved assimilation with the Borg now, and that resistance to the meme that David Desharnais is worthless as a hockey player and must be disposed of because he’s small is futile? That fact makes it impossible for him to “win puck battles” or “score dirty goals”, goes the refrain. We’ve reached a point in the discourse where it’s a black-white, right-wrong, baby-with-the-bath-water kind of deal.

Now I grant that David was not as effective last season as he was the previous season, but I suspect that his size in some ways works to his advantage, and that he may be a better player for it. Yes, it disadvantages in terms of contact where the outcome is determined by sheer physical strength, and in the faceoff circle depending on how the linemen are feeling, but he’s learned to use his small stature to account for that.

One way he does this is by being jitterbug quick and able to dart into an area or after the puck quicker than your average defensive lummox. His small stick enables him to operate in a small space that an octopus like Hal Gill would find impossible. He can turn on a dime and change direction, notably along the boards, and opponents have a tough time keeping up. He also gets down low enough that when an opponent tries to bodycheck him, they have a tough time delivering a wallop at him, he’s down around their knees and they can’t bodycheck as they normally would.

I will repeat that if he was more average size, say 5’11″ and 185 lbs, he wouldn’t be as quick and as difficult to deal with for opponents. He also probably would have learned to think the game differently, and not have adjusted to capitalize on the size mismatch when it plays in his favour. He’d be your average player who doesn’t do anything different or any better than anyone else.

Dare I say it, his small size is a weapon for him. Of course, this gets nullified, and becomes a deficit when crosschecking becomes de rigueur, and wrestling moves are allowed into the game, right when February rolls around, but that’s a structural problems that the NHL has, and not a fundamental failing on David’s part for which he should be scorned.

And that’s where the question of mix comes in. Sure with Brian Gionta, Tomas Plekanec, Brendan Gallagher and Daniel Brière on the team, our mix is something that needs to be adjusted, but ultimately, a team is better with a variety of assets and skills and abilities. Once that’s addressed, the remaining jackrabbits will be more effective, and their size will be an asset rather than a liability.

A propos is the promising turn of Michael McCarron just two games into the WJC summer prep tournament at Lake Placid. While it’ll be okay if a prospect defenceman or one of the scoring forwards on the farm don’t pan out, we can’t miss on this guy. If he’s in the lineup, he brings balance back to the mix. He won’t be able to do everything by himself, he’ll need some Mike Lalor-Rick Chartraw footsoldiers and some Mike McPhee-frontliners to help out, but if we have that then two or three artistes would be able to thrive and give opposite teams headaches. So him, and Jacob de la Rose, they’re kind of essential.

So yeah, the four-year contract extension for David is not a slam dunk right now, and the Daniel Brière signing seems inapt in our current situation, but we can’t allow ourselves to think that a specific player is worthless because he’s small, or that we need a uniform forward corps of Shayne Corsons. Although, in a pinch, I’d probably take that.

———————————————————————–
    … you know, because there’s no way hundreds of overcompetitive stars with massive egos would ever cheat to gain an edge with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake.–Bill Simmons

• Cal says:

UCE, DD is not effective more because of his lack of speed than his size. Mind you, he was knocked down a lot last season as it is common league knowledge that you have to hit the Habs to beat them because there isn’t much pushback. Until the Habs are down to 1 or 2 small forwards they will be at a disadvantage. Perhaps, MB can’t see the forest because of all the shrubs in the way.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Of course, if he was strong like Martin St. Louis, or fast like Theo Fleury, he’d be more effective, but in terms of his quickness, his mobility, that’s an asset he has, one which the bigger opponents can’t match up against. They can sometimes nullify it with strength and reach, but he’s learned to deal with that, and doesn’t put himself in situations where he needs to overpower anyone.

• Cal says:

DD is a smart player with and without the puck. I am hoping he was playing injured last season because he looked really slow out there.
          If he does well, the Habs might just have three decent lines (that’ll last to Christmas mainly because of upcoming injuries I am foretelling).

• JUST ME says:

There was never any reason to offer resistance to Desharnais as you say. This is just the typical Montreal reaction to frustration and trying to explain what went wrong. Desharnais saw one of his partners being traded and the other one playing injured. It does not excuse anything but it does explain why Desharnais did not have the kind of production he had a year ago.

But the team itself also did not have the same kind of season than the previous one but in a good way and in that sense, individual performances are not important when the team succeeds.

I admit that next season will be important for D.D. but not more than any other. This kind of player always had to deal with people that thought he would not make it and everytime made a fool of those that were skeptical.

Funny cause when he signed his new deal everyone was happy here and everywhere that Bergevin did not wait to negociate with him and now since then he became a burden ? Desharnais, Price,Bourque they are all heroes one day or zeros the day after in Montreal .

What counts for me is that we seem to have a good young core in formation in Montreal and wether Desharnais or any other player is part of the future is entirely up to them . As a fan i can only cheer for them, remember yesterday but look forward positively.

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

I’m a rare Desharnais supporter here. I see potential based on the season before last, when he was a Gallagher type revelation. I worry Gallagher will hit the same wall he did, as the league learns and adjusts to his skills, handicapped as they are by his size. Gionta and Briere have been around long enough to work with it, but DD and Gallagher are vulnerable. Hopefully, they’ll adjust too in the great arms race. In a perfect world, both will come out flying this season, and Briere will score 25. Price will finally steal a few games and Gorges and Moen will relocate their misplaced games. I want to see a Habs team that will leave the begrudgers with no one to begrudge.
      I know, eventually someone will play hurt, and the vulture boys will start to circle.

• Phil C says:

Anyone who thinks a small player is easy to knock off the puck has never played against one. Due to their quickness and low centre of gravity as you mentoned, they can be extremely difficult to hit. A larger defensemen will likely just try to contain a small player rather than hit him. If players like DD were easy to hit, they would not last long in the NHL. When Samsonov was with the Habs, I don’t think I ever seen him hit hard. Just too quick and aware. Same thing with guys like Nugent-Hopkins. DD gets hit a little more, but only because be is not afraid to play in traffic and in the dirty areas.

My belief is that a small player is at no disadvantage when he has the puck on his stick and actually has an advantage on larger, less quick players. To be clear, by quickness I mean acceleration and the ability to stop and change direction quickly. Add DD’s great hockey IQ, and it can be a lethal offensive combination.

The biggest problem with small players is when they don’t have the puck and they are defending. A larger player can use his size advantage to protect the puck and keep the play alive. A smaller player often cannot use physical play to remove an attacker from the play (unless he is built like a fire hydrant and freakishly strong like Cube). They also lack the reach for poke checks and covering passing lanes.

The biggest problem for the Habs with so many small forwards is coming up with line combinations that can play in both ends of the ice. The coach is often forced to put two of them on one line, now this line is vulnerable to a getting pinned in their own end with a heavy cycle, especially if there is also a small defenseman on one side. If they had one less small player, the coach would have more flexibility to juggle his lines and manage matchups. I always thought DD and Gionta would be a great combination offensively, but I think Therrien was afraid to put them on the same line for defensive reasons. A large group of defensemen could mitigate this problem somewhat, but the Habs D are also small.

I would like to see one of the smaller forwards packaged in a deal for a bigger defenseman capable of playing with Markov or Subban. This would result in nicer balance among the forwards and create some size on the ice on the back end. The net result on the team would be significant. There is no need to dump all the small players.

We have by far the finest scouting staff in the NHL today, and a GM that knows the value of each selection to be developed over the coming years.
    Being patient with them and grooming the kids into pro’s over years, not trading them for other teams cast away’s, is the correct road to the cup!

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

38. mksness says:

so lars eller put on 20 lbs of lean muscle in 4 months? seems rather fishy

• Mike D says:

In the Eller article linked to yesterday’s post Lars states that he started last season at 213 lbs.

- Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny
      The CH stands for CHaracter…(apparently)

• mksness says:

hum, okay i guess 7 pounds of muscle is okay then

Exactly, it was evident last summer that Eller had come into camp heavier, afterall, that was his first full offseason with no surgery rehab. This summer, while he had to recover from the head injuries, he again was able to have a complete summer of physical conditioning.

I think this kid Eller is going about it the slow and steady way, but I will no longer give any pro athlete the benefit of doubt as money is simply too much a factor these days. The temptations on the players is tremendous, the pressure from the teams on the players to improve is tremendous.

• ZepFan2 says:

It’s nice when people actually read an article before they post.

———————————————————————-
        Ka is a wheel.

“On we sweep, with threshing oar.
        Our only goal will be the Stanley Cup!” – Danno

For Your Life

• ZepFan2 says:

Look up…look WAAAAY up.
        ———————————————————————-
        Ka is a wheel.

“On we sweep, with threshing oar.
        Our only goal will be the Stanley Cup!” – Danno

For Your Life

• Hab No Fear says:

If you had read the the column correctly, you would have known that he played at 213 lbs last year. So nothing fishy about gaining 7lbs.

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

I gained 7 lbs this summer, also to 220. No steroids, no working out, no muscle. It was easy. A couple of boxes of ice cream bars, too many car trips and a few beers in the evening. No problem, nothing sketchy.

Off to ride the bike. Dammit.

39. Maritime Ron says:

Video clip of McCarron’s 1 goal and 1 assist in Team USA’S 5-2 win against Finland yesterday.

Also video of Sebastian Collberg’s 2 goals 1 assist for Sweden against USA.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Ron. Unlike so many here who have taken to criticize Timmons of late, I am not one. I imagine when you scout a 17-18 year old and try to forecast their development, it can be most difficult. When you compare Timmon’s draft record to those of the other 29 teams he’s done quite well.
      Colberg made a lot of people with knowledge of him very happy. From the video you shared you can see why. I hope the future continues to look bright for him.
      McCarron? You can’t teach size. Let’s hope he develops the skills to be a successful NHL power forward.

• mksness says:

you can’t really teach speed or shooting accuracy. u either have it or you don’t. you can teach a player how to use their size to the best of their abilities though

• Maritime Ron says:

Actually speed (quickness bursts) and accuracy is improved through hard work, commitment and time.
          One of the best ever snipers of the past was Mike Bossy.
          Was he a natural from an early age? Somewhat, yet he had an unmatched work ethic.
          Before and usually after practise, he fired hundreds of pucks into each of the 5 holes with different combos of pure wrist shots, snap shots, slap shots, and backhand.

That’s some of the reasons he scored 573 in 752 games and another 85 in 129 playoff games.

And when some of the crazy Flyer gang ran him, they had to deal with Clark Gilies

• HabFab says:

Clark Gilles saved my bacon once :)

• Maritime Ron says:

How so? Please tell
            :-)

• HabFab says:

Islanders eliminated in play-offs.
            Too much testosterone…
            Pretty girls…
            Too much alcohol…
            Too much mouth…
            We were guests, actually my boss but he invited me along…
            Player jumped my boss…
            I jumped him…
            Another player jumped me…
            Gilles restored order firmly and quickly.
            Old and sad story repeated often I’m sure.

• Maritime Ron says:

Hi Jim

For those that criticized TT, it was totally unfair!

Unless one day he writes a ‘tell all’ book, we will never know if he was overruled…. or was given specific instructions on exactly what to draft…or what type (if any) autonomy he had either in the early rounds or later on in the draft.

it was obvious by the Gainey trades/UFA signings that he believed the league was going solely for quickness and speed, while size and the slower power forward/big rugged Dman would be a thing of the past.
        Gainey/Gauthier gambled and lost, and now MB was/is left to not only dismantle, but to rebuild

• on2ndthought says:

I like Collberg’s work on the boards, and at the blueline, and he can snipe- we need a sniper.

MMcC looked dominant, sould have drawn a minor, liked when he stopped in front of the net, thought he should have done that on the first goal instead of skating around back (but I’m not coaching him)

“a cannonading drive”

Doesn’t a person get the impression that MLB cares sweet Fucale about catching a certain segment of the players in the league? Couldn’t help but notice that all the names of players caught from BioVale clinic have a common thread.

• HabFab says:

I don’t know Fucale but this thread just lost another 5 posts. It never will hit a thousand at that rate.

PS… What is the common thread other then BioVale? I’m one of those bitter Expos fans that just don’t follow the game that closely anymore.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning gentleman. I’m gonna sit this one out because in my “You might also like” this morning I have “Athletes bare all for ESPN the body issue”. I’ll be back in a bit. :)

Morning Frank and Jim, (Jim be warned as Frank says!) the common thread is every player suspended is of Latin American descent. I do realize the BioVale clinic was in Miami and thus due to the high concentration of Latin American ballplayers in South Florida one could explain it. My point of contention is that the story of BioVale came out from a newspaper and thus forced Baseballs hand to act on this clinic. Too bad they weren’t as vigilant in catching the popular midwest boys as well.

• Habfan10912 says:

No doubt MLB turned a blind eye to the Midwest boys. The reason? Money.

• Cal says:

Hey, Burly.
          I think that the biggest factor was A-Rod’s attempt to sabotage the investigation. If he had worked with MLB instead of fighting it, he would have only lost the rest of this season. Instead, he decided to go all Palmiero and will take a bigger hit. This is why I must call A-Rod a complete idiot. A very rich complete idiot who will never be in the HoF.

You will get no argument from me on A-Rod and his humble agent Boras as both being idiots. My issue is also still with MLB and how they have used these 13 players as scapegoats to give the appearance that Boob Selig is doing his job as Commish. I have said repeatedly, he watched over the Roid Home Run Festival and cheered it on, then suddenly changed his tune when Bonds shattered the magic record held by McGwire.

Selig is a slimy rat who is now returning the favour to the Yankees for making him Commish by getting them out of that bad contract. It is all dirty, from top to bottom.

41. Maritime Ron says:

Timo August 5, 2013 at 9:03 pm
    I know it juvenile but I LOOOOVE his last name :) It’s just awesome.
    —————-
    Back in the 2004 NHL draft, the Los Angeles Kings drafted
    Yutaka Fukufuji in 8th round 238th overall.

The highest league Fukufuji ever played was the ECHL.
    Fukufuji played in 07/08 for the Bakersfield Condors where he posted a .899 SP in 46 games.
    The following year, Fukufuji wasn’t much better.

Hockey players are great with nicknames.
    On his team, Fukufuji, had a few different ones:
    Fuji-when things were going well, and Fuku when things were going less well.

As you can see by this picture of his sweater, even though his career was short, it was one of the hottest items sold.

Fukufuji is currently playing with the Nikko Ice Bucks of the Asia League Ice Hockey.

42. Psycho29 says:

Shawn Burr, a rugged forward who played in the NHL for 16 seasons, died on Monday after falling at his home over the weekend, according to WDIV. Burr had been in a three-year battle with myelogenous leukemia. He was 47.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Wow, sad news.

I was at the Forum with my cousin when Shawn Burr was drafted in 1984, the Canadiens had the 5th pick, and he was bandied about as a likely target. Serge Savard pulled off some Iron Curtain spy stuff and produced Petr Svoboda from a back room when the Canadiens’ turn came up. He then traded back up to #8 to nab Shayne Corson, one spot after the Wings had taken Mr. Burr. The Canadiens later picked Stéphane Richer in the second round, and Patrick Roy in the third. Serge Savard made some goofs, but he also hit some home runs.

The thing that hits home is that I had turned ‘draft age’ and my cousin was a year older at this draft, and we both wore our suits and got fresh haircuts and milled around, and we did so on purpose and it worked, people were looking at us and trying to figure out who we were. We were hoping an agent would come up to us and snap us up for a $1000.

Anyway, guys of my draft class are starting to get cancer and die off, and I still feel like I just graduated high school.

43. Sportfan says:

Not a fan of Bonds, CLemens and Arod at all the suspension is just funny to me.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

Does anyone know what Michael Therrien is up to? Is he developing a specialized improvement program for someone else this year?

45. Mark C says:

Sure doesn’t look like a slow, talentless, picked only for his size, picked too soon, bust.

Sure is a big boy!

• jedimyrmidon says:

Agreed. This guy sure doesn’t look like a pylon out there – AND that’s international-sized ice, not an NHL rink.

Looks like he can play a power forward game. Also looks like he has some hands too.

Edit: check out this article from NHL.com: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=679623&navid=nhl:topheads

“I think he’s played very well,” Lucia said of McCarron. “He’s surprised me a little bit. He’s big guy, still growing into his body. I think his skating has been strong, he’s been good along the wall, he’s taken the puck and drove to the net and being a power forward. When you’re a guy with his size and strength, that’s what you have to be. He’s a guy the other teams have to be aware of. Coming in on the forecheck, they better be looking over their shoulders.”

“He created a lot of space for me,” Cammarata said. “I think guys are scared of him. He opens the ice up for me a little more.”

• Marc10 says:

I like the second effort where he dives and forces the turn over. He’s going to look good playing for the Hunter brothers.

46. Sportfan says:

Doesn’t Fucale automatically make it?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• doc359 says:

I believe there are 3 goalies at the camp and 2(?) years ago, the team only elected to bring 2 goalies, so there is a chance one is left off, but Fucale looks to be a shoe-in barring injury.

I know it juvenile but I LOOOOVE his last name :) It’s just awesome.

48. Mc says:

I don’t know if this has been posted before, but here is a nice tribute from the CBC site to the Rocket from yesterday, which would have been his 92nd birthday: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/opinion/2013/08/birthday-bio-maurice-the-rocket-richard-draft—aug-4.html

49. JohnBellyful says:

Which player do you most despise for his ill-gotten fortune:
    A-Rod?
    Bonds?
    Armstrong(Lance, not Colby)?
    Clemens?
    Braun?
    McDuck?

Armstrong, given what an arrogant S.O.B. he was, and the many peoples lives he went out of his way to ruin, so as to keep up his mirage.

However, I think I might even moreso begrudge Boob Selig, who personally watched over as McGwire/Sosa held their personal home run contest and he endorsed it as he felt baseball needed the race. Then once Bonds disgraced those numbers, Boobs suddenly got a conscience.

• JohnBellyful says:

Don’t be surprised if, at some point, someone weighs in, as a few sports columnists have done, that the fans are to blame for what happened in Major League Baseball, because they got caught up in the home run derby and drove up attendance, not caring how the star players came by their amazing feats.
        So let’s call an audible on this one, and despise the fans for ruining baseball and other sports where PEDs were used, by passively accepting cheating, so they could have the good fortune of watching these tremendous athletes perform to the best of their chemical-enhanced abilities.
        (Yeah, right.)

• Un Canadien errant says:

The ‘journalists’ failed us on this one. They’re the ones ‘covering’ the sport, they should have told us something was fishy. They’re the ones in the clubhouse, seeing these guys year after year, the evidence was there, they got swept up in the hoopla and didn’t do their frigging job.

When a reporter saw a container of androstenedione in Mark McGwire’s locker, in plain view, and asked about it, he was mostly criticized by his colleagues for abusing the ‘privileges’ of the clubhouse, and for for asking tough questions of a golly-gee nice man. It was swept under the rug, explained away, it was a legal substance on a technicality, like Ray Lewis’ antler spray, and his plea bargain.

Once the truth came out, we didn’t believe anybody any more. There was no shock when A-Fraud and Barry and Roger Clemens were accused, it actually made sense.

I’ve adopted the Bill Simmons philosophy now: Any great swing in performance in any direction is now subject to suspicion.

• HabFab says:

I’m starting to worry here!

• JohnBellyful says:

Excellent article. Accurately frames the debate. Gives validity to harbouring suspicion without relapse when it comes to assessing athletic performances that deviate from the norm.

• JohnBellyful says:

Frank, the moderators have requested you pee into the CPU/CUP. They suspect your punning earlier today may have been assisted by more than an atlas.

• HabFab says:

I thought someone peeing into the CPU caused that problem down below.

• JohnBellyful says:

Frank, I’m sympathetic to your “problem down below,” which may interfere with your giving a sample, but this is hardly the forum to discuss the failings of your ‘plumbing’.

uhhh! Gomez?

Just choking…..

• Marc10 says:

Lance. He wasn’t content with lying… He defamed, bullied and apparently defrauded folks all the while using ‘cancer awareness’ as a cloak to shield himself.

He’s a dick and I hope he gets nice orange overalls to wear over his yellow jersey. That said, great bike rider and a world class sociopath. :)

• Habfan10912 says:

Clemens.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Has to be Lance. I feel cheated by him, the others I didn’t care about, I’ve lost my faith in baseball a long time ago. When Lance would state that he was the most tested athlete on earth and that he never failed a test, I fist-pumped. “Right on,” I thought. I believed the spin that his training methods, and the manner he prepared strictly for the Tour de France, were the reason for his dominant performances. I know, I know…

The bullying and abuse that slowly became public knowledge I at first dismissed as coming from sore losers, notably from Tyler Hamilton, who was caught red-handed in the cookie jar while calling the kettle black. When more and more sources accused him, including some that had nothing to gain by doing so, I kind of eased off the bandwagon and took a more ‘wait and see’ approach.

Now I’m like the scorned spouse, I feel angry, betrayed, foolish, humiliated. I’m not willing to accept any apologies or acts of contrition. I resent that he wrapped himself up in the cloth of the brave cancer fighter and philanthropist, that doesn’t cut him any slack. Quite the contrary, it adds to the hypocrisy.

• Lafleurguy says:

This is like a lunar eclipse to have this one thread include Burly, Gentleman Jim, Normand (Jones), JB, Marc 10, Frank, flo-rida. Go ahead guys, enlighten me.*

“Where’s the Beef?/What’s the Beef?”
      *nopressure.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

You forgot Carl Lewis.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

• habstrinifan says:

McDuck!

From day 1 I knew he was a quack!

• JohnBellyful says:

I can’t believe McDuck, the face of capitalism run amok, is getting a free pass!
      Edit: Amazing, I just post this, return to the page, and Trini is there, making me out a liar.
      (I won’t take it personally.)

50. Ncognito says:

I pop on here every now and then for some habs news and today I get sweet fucale!

51. Marc10 says:

Good poll question. I suspect Briere will come out flying and light it up.

Can’t wait to see him on the PP.

Pet Peeve as related to the CFL. Watching the Bombers vs. Lions game and I am reminded of how poorly the officials call offside. On one particular QB rushing play the Bombers receivers were in motion and appeared over 2 yards off side yet no call. Just how many yards past the line of scrimmage do receivers need to be prior to snap of football before offside is called?

• Ian Cobb says:

Gerald, You are correct. It is an unfair tactic against the DB. I have no idea why this so obvious call is not made 90% of the time.

• JohnBellyful says:

Burl’, this has been going on all season and it drives me up the wall. Did a directive go out to the officials that receivers get to have a five-yard head start before the ball is hiked? Some of it’s so blatant there’s no other explanation.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I almost prefer that to the punctilious false start, offside and illegal procedure penalties of the NFL. How much of the game is is spent blowing plays dead, taking a minute for the refs to confer, then do their dance with the field mike, back up the players and spot the ball, another huddle, another cadence…

I understand the need for the rule, for the offence to not make the defence jump offside, and for the defence to therefore not cause the offence to flinch, but it’s gotten out of control. Plus, all the rules about motion that are so arcane and impenetrable to the average fan, it legislates fun out of the game. The run’n'shoot would have been so much more fun for NFL fans if there was CFL-style unlimited motion behind the line of scrimmage, as long as you don’t jump offside.

In the case of the CFL WR’s routinely being offside by a step or more when the ball is snapped, it’s not great and should be reeled in somewhat, but to be realistic, it doesn’t confer an advantage to the offence, since they don’t surprise the DB’s. The defenders can see them coming and start to backpedal when appropriate, regardless of the actual snap. If the receivers were coming up to the line of scrimmage and then stopping-faking, head bobbing, backing up, faking again, then going offside, that would be a problem. As it is, the defence knows when the ball is about to be snapped, they’re getting a huge hint from the receivers.

All in all, I prefer for play to continue instead of being blown dead for marginal infractions in these cases, to ensure a free-flowing offensive game, instead of a more rigid offence and lots of whistles.

I understand your point, but to me it looks really hokey when a receiver is 3-5 yards offside and no call. Rule is a rule, and that one is broken all the time.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I agree that when I watch CFL, the offsides are double-scoop flagrant. It’s shocking when you’re used to the statues lined up in NFL games, where now a too vigourous bob of the head as the quarterback barks out the snap count draws a penalty flag, to Philip Rivers’ chagrin.

I think the CFL should reel it back, send out a communication to all teams, you talk to all the coaches before the game, issue a warning and penalize a couple of the more egregious fouls. This would get us back to the point where a receiver can cross the line simultaneous-ish with the snap, but not be a stride or more beyond the line.

As I explained though, an attempt to be black and white on this will deter from the fans’ enjoyment of the game. I watch CFL games for the refreshing change they can be from the straight-laced No Fun League. Let the offence roam wild and free.

• JohnBellyful says:

I think the same ‘courtesy’ should be extended defensive backs rushing the quarterback.

• JohnBellyful says:

Just double-checking: Is this Peevish Monday?
      (I thought “Monday’s child was fair of face.”)

53. Cal says:

Geez, another story about Fucale?

Use your imagination, folks!

151 HIO Members So Far, To Take Part In This Years Fan Summit.

Dave Stubbs makes significant donation to this years HIO Summit charity raffle.
    Check it out on our link below.

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

ALSO!, HIO Fan Summit Message from the Bell Center

OK Ian,
    I will be at the Baton Rouge Charity Raffle and pre-game dinner with guests and our team sign stick….Rej

Réjean Houle

Ambassadeur
    Club de hockey Canadien

55. Habfan10912 says:

Son of a gun. It was nice while it lasted. What’s for dunner? :)

56. Hobie Hansen says:

You know this Fucale kid is going to have a lot of people pulling for him, being a Quebecois and all. You would have to think Price sees what’s going on here, the writing on the wall.

Price doesn’t have to worry this year, probably not for three, but if Fucale puts up any type of success in the AHL, down the road, and Price is anything resembling shaky, the fans will cry to put Fucale in. The fans are so crazy that Price could put up three straight shutouts, lose 2-1, and the fans would be calling for Fucale.

I’m happy because you’d have to think that this situation would motivate anybody. Good old healthy competition.

57. JohnBellyful says:

I’m not familiar with this person. A Hab prospect?
    Edit: The guy I responded to has apparently left the room.
    (It wasn’t Elvis.)

58. Habfan10912 says:

First time I’ve been first except when I’m first at dinner many times. :)