From Fehr to Fisher

Reports surfaced Wednesday night that former MLB players’ association boss Donald Fehr has been hired by the NHLPA. Nothing has yet to be confirmed, though.

Will Donald Fehr be the NHLPA’s next boss?

More on Fehr from CBC’s Jeff Marek.

The Gazette’s Red Fisher will be inducted into the Quebec Hall of Fame.

Former Hab Brisebois on NASCAR fast track, Dave Stubbs writes.

Ken Holland wasn’t surprised by Habs decision to trade Halak, La Presse reports.

Quebec City needs a new arena before an NHL return, Bettman says.

Canadiens to get more exposure on CBC than the Maple Leafs.

1. WarHero says:

Cammy, AK, Lappy, Georges, Hammer

————————————————————————

2. Rugger says:

Pleks, he will earn his raise

Gomez,

Laps, he will (mostly) shut up and play

Subban because i do not believe Markov will be back as quickly as hoped

Hammer when traded at the deadline

3. SeriousFan09 says:

1. Gionta (Due to wearing the C)

2. Gomez

3. Eller

4. Markov

5. Hamrlik

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

4. SeriousFan09 says:

Baby steps, can’t cancel the Retired Cranks Who Hate the Habs Pension Fund all at once at CBC.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

5. mike g says:

Alrighty then..

Since it’s really hard to predict a team MVP for the Habs in 2011, so let’s pick from these choices. Who will have the biggest impact on the team between:

1- Cammy, Gionta, Pleks.

2- Pouliot, AK, Gomez.

3- Eller, Lappiere, Moen.

4- Markov, Subban, Georges.

5- Gill, Hammr, Spacek.

My choices are Cammy, Gomez, Eller, Markov, and Spacek.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

6. HabFanSince72 says:

Just Healy?

7. otter649 says:

I live in The GTA & get The Habs games @ CBC.ca and watch them online………

8. WarHero says:

————————————————————————

9. SegerHabs says:

What would be we do without RDS!

But yeah, I’m in NL so our distribution situations are very similar. I believe last year the breakdown was 26 leafs-25 Habs…and you are well aware how that turned out for your Saturday nights.

10. SeriousFan09 says:

CBC really wants to win viewers over they can try sacking Healy.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

11. avatar_58 says:

If that’s the case I’ll be very annoyed. Oh well though, CBC west (is that the name?) might have it and I get that channel. Not HD, but it’s english I guess.

12. habs-hampton says:

I posted the same time as you. I guess we’re both skeptics and feel that CBC will still find a way to screw us over! I don’t think I’ll be cancelling RDS anytime soon.

13. mrhabby says:

hey dave…i have always had an issue with the grit factor on our team. i have always hoped for some nasty players not stupid but nasty players that will make other players a little scared of the CH. I know the day of the goon has come and gone but seeing canadiens players tossed around and not being able to battle has frustrated me. i like asham he may take the odd dump penalty but he is very tough and i like that.

14. habs-hampton says:

It’s great news about the CBC’s decision to broadcast more Habs games. But, I’m wondering what it really means for me. I live in New Brunswick, and we always get the Leafs and can’t get CBC english games from Quebec. Does it mean that Montreal will get the National game 28 times and the National game will be shown in all regions?

15. SegerHabs says:

The CBC schedule has 29 Montreal games…however how many of these will be the national distribution is the question? I have never had a problem with the amount of Montreal games CBC has scheduled, it is the belief that outside of the GTA, the majority of Canada would prefer the leafs over the Habs broadcast!

There is a huge probability that 13 Montreal 7.00pm Saturday night games will be a Quebec only distribution.

A more realistic way of looking at the CBC schedule (from a national standpoint). The leafs will be shown 24 times, and the Habs 16…..unless you live in Quebec, then yes you will outnumber the leaf broadcasts 29-24.

16. pic1983 says:

- I really like the appointment of Donald Fehr to the PA.  At least if theres going to be a lock-out, its going to be entertaining.  If anyone can defeat bettman, its Donald Fehr.

- Kind of nice to see a high-end executive like Ken Holland tell everyone that the sky isnt falling, and that trading halak is just part of the business.

- On another Ken Holland note, glad to see him specifically name local kid David Perron when talking about St Louis’ young talent.  It’s nice to see David getting the respect he deserves considering that he wasnt even on NHL scouts radar as early as 4 years ago.

17. StevieRay says:

Laffs nation & Burke & Don Cheery  will want a Canadian Hockey Summit !!! What will they do ….

Just curious but if I recall Burke wasn’t going to come to TO unless his wife could get a TV job .. anyone know where she’s working … maybe Leaf TV …LOL!!

18. Propwash says:

It’s cool that the CBC is airing more Habs games than Loaf games. The downside is probably having to listen to Bob Cole’s jibberjabber.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

19. avatar_58 says:

Wow, more habs games than leafs on the CBC?? 28 games???

This makes me a happy person, given I do not have RDS HD.

20. JD_ says:

Eat the rich, baby!

That you, Jack Todd?

21. thorandresson says:

I think White will develop to be like Asham, (even similar stature).

As for Darche, I think a big reason he was signed is cause he knows his role, and won’t complain about being the 13th forward (being scratched).  And he seems to bring a lot of intangibles, they say he was a really good mentor to the kids in Hamilton.

22. punkster says:

Ouch there MH…our dear friend Tony (in one of his many guises) put forth the same idea a few nights back, though accompanied by the usual anti-Gainey/Gauthier/Martin spew. General consensus was no if I recall. My points were that Darche works harder and takes fewer dumb penalties. And he has a way better hairdresser obviously.

FREE TIMO!

23. Exit716 says:

The real tragedy is the NHL still propping up Phoenix.

Hello Gary! Why should Montreal subsidize your southern market failures?

24. mrhabby says:

could have had asham. would have chosen him over darche in a heart beat. we still have no real tough guy and i mean more nasty grit not a goon.

25. mrhabby says:

Bringing in Fehr seems like a good move for the nhlpa. Clearly they need help. That being said all this fear mongoring is just plain stupid. There is no chance in hell another lock out happens..not going to happen for so many reasons that we all know…let the spinning begin.

26. habstrinifan says:

Your not so veiled denigration of posters who express concern re Price’s unsigned status is something of a cheapshot.

Do you mean that ‘everyone’ in the hockey world who has written or ‘wondered’ aloud as to why Price and the team havent come to an agreement is ignorant re the fundamentals of negotiation.

27. Mr-T says:

The tax paid by an individual is the same money that our beloved politicians “steal” from us, unless you are referring to something else. Neither percentage number is entirely accurate and I believe the type of tax that you are proposing would not go through.

Support Carey Price         “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

28. LA Loyalist says:

thank you for posting the info more precisely. All I remembered was the numbers were disconcerting.

29. HFX-HabFan says:

Jack Layton = toolbag.

I’ll never forget him watching the gold medal hockey game at some restaraunt in Toronto, making sure he was front and centre for the cameras.  When Canada scored a goal, he actually forced someone else’s joyfully-outstretched arms down because they were blocking his face from being seen on camera.

30. LA Loyalist says:

31. LA Loyalist says:

maybe so, but it doesn’t negate the fact that we are softer than St. Viateur bagels when they first come out of the oven.

32. habstrinifan says:

Give Subban two months and I think you will have that. It’s hard to forecast players (injuries and character changes) but Subban looks like the real deal. Maybe we have finally found a player who will develop to be worthy of our history.

33. habstrinifan says:

Sorry no! Habs are beginning to put together a team for the future and Souray would be money wasted. And besides he is a highly overrated ( maybe not anymore cause his stock has certainly gone down) player.

He should retire.

34. adam76 says:

I thought Jack Layton was a Leaf fan?

35. Mr-T says:

The only league Schultz will be playing in this year is the AHL.

Support Carey Price        “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

36. showey47 says:

I think brian burke deserves the most credit since he put bryzgalov on waivers.

37. Mr-T says:

” The team paid more in municipal taxes in a year than that of the combined total of 24 based U.S teams.” The player’s are paid in U.S. dollars, therefore a higher Canadian dollar is not cost-effective to them living here in comparison to the United States.

Support Carey Price         “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

38. RGM says:

That’s missing some stuff – what you have there spells it out but not what it means.

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

39. novahab says:

I have to laugh when the media and the rightous stand up and say you can’t spend tax payers money on a new arena. Well I do agree don’t spend more tax payers money just the money out beloved politicians steal from us or the money they give to all their rich friends for business where they invest very little of their own money. 15% of the people in this country owns 85% of the money and they should dam well pay for something. A special tax on all millionares and large company to pay for the new rink in Quebec. All the money they make it time they give something back , the arena will be the pillar of the city and their ads will be all over it.

40. adamkennelly says:

Habs need to add a tough guy to their line-up.  Preferably one who can play every day.  That or we better have White and Schultz skating 4th line duties nightly and even that may not do it for the team we now have to face in the East.

41. andrewberkshire says:

I think Bryzgalov deserves more credit than Tippett!

42. petefleet says:

Keep in mind that the player would lose a significant amount of the bonus as well.  It probably wouldn’t be any easier to atract players with this method.

Go Habs Go

43. LA Loyalist says:

Without pulling the numbers I think our W/L with and without Markov was the largest variable. Anyone know for sure?

If Markov is healthy all year and PK does reasonably well that should up the production up front with the forwards we have.

Obviously Eller and Puliot have to pull their weight.

44. Exit716 says:

The NHL needs a CBA where a team like Carolina can’t take $23 million in revenue sharing each year.

That’s complete and total BS.

45. LA Loyalist says:

Yes, you win post of the day – short, hilarious, and from another planet.

46. GrimJim says:

Sorry but nope. CBA Article 50.1 (a) (i) (U) (3) Hockey Related Revenues:

The sale or disposition of game-worn, practiceworn and other event-worn or used Player jerseys and/or equipment along with the sale of any other hockey-related items whose value is directly enhanced by an association with a Player’s personality rights;

47. nunacanadien says:

Granted sure some of them were injured, that’s a given.  I’m talking about the period leading up to and during the playoffs, where the lack of scoring all but insured the habs would not have the cup this year.  We could have had it if we had a consistent goal scorer to add to Cammy.  I’m not dissing Cammy’s production, but honestly one man to score all the goals?  That’s not the case but really….

48. GrimJim says:

I’m pretty sure that the league owns the licensing rights to all the merchandising products including player t-shirts and jerseys and that revenue is already included in league-wide revenues that the salary cap is based on. The only exception is when a team produces a new jersey design (like the Flames Heritage Classic jersey). I think that what I heard on Calgary sports radio was that in that case the team gets all the revenue from the first 10 days of sales and then the revenue reverts to the league.

49. jlot64 says:

While I agree with you that phenix got older last season it is not that mcuh older then 2 years ago when averaged 25.8 as you say.  The point of the youth movement is to let the youth grow together and suceed.  If they had kept the same roster as 2 years ago the average age today would be 27.8 only a difference of about one year , this one year can easily be explained by the signing of forty year old Lang which was applauded by most in here and rightfully so.  I just don’t really think the numbers prove that Pheonix went away from the youth.

50. DavidKB says:

Sounds great in theory.

The first thing that came to mind from a business point of view was a scene in the movie, Jerry McGuire when a pro football player said he couldn’t sign a kid’s trading card because it wasn’t made by the right company.

Would players have enough integrity to not turn it into a bit of a circus?

51. SensFanSpezza says:

I think this isn’t allowed under the CBA.  I remember looking into whether owners with other interests, eg. the Molsons, could legally top up a player’s salary for “services rendered” to the owner’s other companies.  For example, if Gionta or Pleks did ads for Molsons products and got so many millions in compensation.  My recollection is that any type of owner or team supplementation of salary is not allowed.

And, Bettman and his cronies would never look at an idea like yours because a guy like Cammalleri could make hundreds of thousands of dollars on sales of his merchandise, but Lecavalier would only make tens of dollars on his.  No way the league puts their sunbelt sweeties at a disadvantage like that.

52. pic1983 says:

I dont think the GM in phoenix deserves credit, I think dave tippett deserves all the credit.

53. SeriousFan09 says:

It’s offset some issues, but we’re still fighting American Markets that offer literally millions of more dollars than we do even when both teams are offering same cash and length.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

54. SeriousFan09 says:

Our goal scorers missing big chunks of last season surely had nothing to do with that…

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

55. LA Loyalist says:

Then no, that’s too rich to roll the dice. I agree.

I love having someone on the point on the powerplay though, that can shoot it hard and low and thread the shot to cause max chaos in front of the net without being a defensive liability.

56. LA Loyalist says:

There is also an issue that surfaced a few years ago about municipal taxes that teams pay – Habs (at that time) apparently paid more tax than all the U.S. teams combined.

Also hasn’t the higher Canadian dollar offset some of our problems from 8-10 years ago? Obviously these issues are complex.

57. nunacanadien says:

If you look at the games we lost, we lost a lot of them by very close scores.  Either this means our goal tending is just good enough to lose, or it means our forwards are scoing just enough to lose. It is a combination of the two.  If our leading scorers now cannot get us a winning streak that can get us into a good playoff position at the end of the year, then clearly they need some help.  This is what I am saying.  We need some more goal scorers.

58. Jordio-oh says:

are you mental?

59. SeriousFan09 says:

What we need is a CBA-enforced salary cap that recognizes differing tax rates and gives teams bonus cushions on their cap spending so they can sign players at the same rate as a team in a US State where the tax rate is half of what it is in Quebec. Our FA signing issues fade away besides the ones who don’t want to play here or are too greedy.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

60. RGM says:

The $$$ are not performance-based. They’re based on the contract he signed with the Oilers that guarantees him $5.5M per season. After his current deal expires at the end of the 2011-12 season, as an over-35 player he can go on a contract that has performance incentives but even there is no way I would want him on the roster taking away the spot of someone much younger and much more versatile that could do everything Souray does better and without fear of breaking a wrist.

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

61. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

Souray has 2 years left at something like 5.3 mil.

62. RGM says:

The “we” you refer to is that portion of the fanbase that doesn’t understand the concept of a negotiation process. The Habs aren’t worried, Price isn’t worried, I’m not worried. Let’s get past this notion of worrying because fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering. I sense much fear in you.

The notion of moving our “midgets” to the fourth line to concentrate on scoring only underscores just how absurd this post is, and the mentality behind it. Let’s look at some numbers…

Mike Cammalleri – 5’9″ – 26-24-50

Brian Gionta – 5’7″ – 28-18-46

Scott Gomez – 5’11″- 12-47-59

Tomas Plekanec – 5’11″ – 25-45-70

Andrei Kostitsyn 6’0″ – 15-18-33

Benoit Pouliot 6’3″ – 17-11-28

Travis Moen 6’2″ – 8-11-19

Yes, look at the giants up front and their majestic production numbers! Let’s give them the front line minutes so that our top 4 scorers from last year, who are shrimps, only get 8-10 minutes per night! That will show everybody! Hahahahahaaa!

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

63. SeriousFan09 says:

Theoretically yes, but if AK and BP hadn’t been injured, maybe they wouldn’t have lost their groove and the Habs would have pushed into the Cup Finals. Whats If can make a lot of things seem like they’ll happen.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

64. andrewberkshire says:

That’s a massive difference. Only 4 teams have higher average ages than Phoenix. What’s even more sad is that 2 years ago Phoenix was the 3rd youngest team in the NHL with an average age of 25.8.

65. LA Loyalist says:

Would you guys take a chance on Souray (assuming the $ were mostly performance based) and he passed his medical, of course. I’m kind of torn on this one.

66. SeriousFan09 says:

We didn’t have any solid goaltending in that final series was what killed us, we had one major advantage going into that series and it evaporated.

They have a superior team of skaters to almost anyone, but I still say their netminding will do them in like it does every other time.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

67. RGM says:

That’s a lot of “eewwww” in that rumour.

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

68. habs-hampton says:

Never gonna happen. It makes too much sense. The NHL would rather let the Habs struggle to attract players, rather than let them come up with a way to equlaize the tax problem. Better to have Anaheim in the playoffs to help “build the brand” in California, then to have the Habs get in, where the brand is already built.

69. RGM says:

Merchandise sales would fall under the same rubric as an endorsement, so no it wouldn’t count against the cap. If it did, the likes of Crosby and Ovy would have their teams in even worse cap hell than they are at present.

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

70. Joltin Joe says:

I wasn’t aware they had this already in Football. I wonder how it’s turned out for the franchise and the player ?

Trying to come up with arguments against the incentive..can’t really come up with any. If CBA doesn’t allow it, there surely must be reasons…guessing owners aren’t crazy with the idea of sharing profits ?

71. RGM says:

I could be wrong here but I believe that the players already do get a cut of the official merchandise that is sold with their name on it. My Cammy, Price, and Gorges t-shirts all have the NHL and NHLPA logos on them, which would leave me in that direction that a portion of the proceeds are going to that player. I would think that the same applies to jerseys. This may well be determined by some agreement formula between the League and the PA but certainly all official merchandise sales count towards the NHL’s overall revenue. The more you buy the more the salary cap increases and all of that.

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

72. SeriousFan09 says:

Tavares looked great to start, than he hit a wall and Duchene, I thought he had the better overall season but it was Tyler Myers in the end who won and Jimmy Howard was the 3rd man for the Calder along with Duchene and Myers. Two unknowns to one potential favourite, Calder I find favours the guys with extra development time rather than the guys tossed into the deep end. Last 20 years, only 4 guys aged 18 or 19 have won a Calder.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

73. LA Loyalist says:

How many jerseys do you think Gomez would sell? Outside of his immediate family, I mean.

Seriously, it’s not a bad idea. Somehow it won’t happen because as someone pointed out because of the CBA. Several wrinkles for fun, though:

Jerseys sell in other markets, too, e.g. Ovechkin or Crosby all over the league, not just in their teams markets. How do we handle that?

Also it would be seen as a way of circumventing the cap – theoretically we pay Price $1.5 million and he earns another $500,000 in SWAG – does the $500k count against the cap?

What about beer sales? If one player causes the fans to drink more heavily than other players do (i.e. Price, Latendresse, Sergei) do they participate in that revenue?

Back before players were jillionaires they used to trade on their names for retirement or summer jobs – Eddie Shack always had a christmas tree lot, Dickie Moore obviously did great in equipment rentals, Tim Horton’s donuts (though I believe his wife was the brains behind that, Horton obviously being fairly dead) did great.

Sadly it’s now virtually impossible to keep the core of a team together. Look at Chicago, not even getting one year to defend their title. How hard are new guys going to fight to defend it compared to the guys that were there?

We will not see Beliveau again in our lives, and it’s sad. We were damn lucky to have had Saku as long as we did, and I’m still damn mad about that, but let’s not go there, I’m trying to keep this light.

And then you have guys like Lecavalier that don’t want to be here. He could have come to Mtl if he had really wanted to, but no, he wants to play golf in privacy and not pay taxes. Not everybody has the personality for this place. PK sure seems to, so let’s be happy about that. And Cammy and some of the other guys.

What would I do if I were the GM of the Montreal Canadiens? I would take the whole team or anyone I was contemplating drafting or trading for to the HHOF, make them sit in the reproduction of the forum dressing room with all those jerseys and the guys that cry get to play for the Habs.

It’s that simple.

74. mike g says:

I don’t know buddy, well c…

All I know is if Emery was healthy last year, they beat the Hawks. Emery was having a solid year, and woulda re-signed and been their goaler this year.

Too bad.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

75. SeriousFan09 says:

Flyers wouldn’t know goaltending if it bit them in the *** and that’s been the state of affairs since Hextall’s original days there so I doubt they’d even make a good replacement choice. Addressing the issue with a capable goaltending also means a trade of assets which means a loss of depth at D/Forward and whoever’s selling that goaltender will know they have PHI over a barrel for someone who can stop a puck, not unlike Burke trying to buy Top-6 talent in trades, everyone knows he needs it more than they need whatever he’s trying to sell.

Not anyone in the East can beat the Flyers, but the Flyers will face 3 of the 8 best teams in the East and I’m sure one of them will find a way to sending the Flyers packing if they come at them with Leighton, Boucher or whatever waiver-wire pickup they acquire.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

76. saskhabfan says:

Once again retrowrongy misses the boat. To bad you can’t read and the article says the exact opposite of what you are saying. Didn’t you go apeshit on another poster last week for fabricating stories? Something about the score and the english rights to the canadiens? As for the great g.m holland,go read his draft history since 2000. Drafted one good player in franzen. Tiny mikey makes himself look like a dumbass again,LMAO badda bom badda bing.

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

77. RetroMikey says:

You gotta respect Holland’s comments and the take on the Halak trade.

Holland is the best GM of the NHL no question, but if he were our GM, I seriously beliee would have traded Price and not keep a younger unproven goalie with issues.

Have to agree, the pressure is on Price and for our team to make the playoffs and yes, the Blues are going to get better and better and are playoff bound according to Holland and me!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

78. krob1000 says:

I can’t read French but I tried….I got the impression that it was saying he did trade the older experienced goalie in Vernon and went with a young unporven osgood.  If I read that wrong I apologize but to me if and yes that is a big if because I amy no be understanding….that is true then he has basically said he would has done the same with Osgood and Vernon…no? I agree witht he decision from a hockey perspective and my only concern is the way the Hab fans torment Price…that is the biggest concern in all of this to me.  I think right now they are similar calibre goalies, I think long term Price has more to offer, he iw younger and means we have more tile before he is a ufa as well, he is bigger which may or may not be a factor given the equipment changes….I would have one the same unless the offers for Price were far outweighing those for Halak….we’ll never know that much but I get teh feeling that Holland just gave his stamp of approval on this deal…not the opposite.  If Price had been traded to St. Louis…taht would have made them better too…so I don;t see what youare implying here…again unles my French which does suck is wrong…in which case…sorry.

79. likehoy says:

fabrication…

nowhere in the article did holland suggest he would keep halak over price. He said the salary cap meant they can’t keep two good goalies, and he once traded a playoff hero in mike vernon, much like halak 2 weeks after a cup victory. he went with the younger player in osgood.

if anything, holland is suggesting he would do what PG did.

- I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

80. Storm Man says:

Nice try mikey……….

81. GrimJim says:

Wow, no posts and its a half-hour in. Is it because Fehr isn’t a goaltender, more of an offensive weapon?

82. shiram says:

I guess those “news story” arent all that interesting or groundbreaking or whatever…

83. joshua94k says:

Does anyone know where I can get a DVD of the Canadiens centennial game vs Boston (Dec.4, 2009). I need the English CBC version with the complete ceremonies. I tried the CBC website but they don’t have it. Can anyone help?

“It’s too much for one guy to shoulder. For us, we’re going to do it as a group. It’s about sharing that responsibility win or lose.” – Mike Cammallerie

84. avatar_58 says:

I would love that too

85. RetroMikey says:

Send me a personal e-mail, I have both the CBC English version as well as the RDS French version both in HD.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

86. SegerHabs says:

I find it odd that there hasn’t been an official release on dvd….and also of the team photo. It’s not like the Habs marketing to leave money to be had on the table.

87. fuhgawz says:

reading about Fehr this morning has made my day crappy — i do not see how this is going to be any good for hockey.  like many on TSN have said he destroyed the MLB between him and Gary this will be the end of the NHL

88. observer says:

The owners and the players both have one thing in common and it is their main goal – MONEY. And the lawyers like Fehr and Bettman too.

89. Storm Man says:

Gilles Duceppe is urging the PM to commit personally to helping Quebec City to build a new NHL arena….. LMAO Duceppe is a funny little man. Duceppe is gearing up for another referendum and is asking for Canadian tax dollers? What a F%#KING joke, All this after the Quebec goverment wrote a letter to the PM urging him to deny money to New Foundland and Nova Scotia for infrastructure funding for underwater transmission cable to carry electricity between the two provinces. I find it funny that Duceppe can ask for Canada’s tax dollers but does not want to be part of Canada. I hope Harper tells him to stick it where the sun does not shine.

90. WarHero says:

Amen Storm!! Amen!!

————————————————————————

91. observer says:

One thing it will do is finally give the Habs a REAL rivalry – one they have not had since Bettman moved the Nordiques to Denver. Note- though many on this board (new Habs fans mostly) seem to be obsessed with a Leafs-Habs rivalry that they have now invented in their own minds.

92. HabFanSince72 says:

Quebecers are still paying Canadian taxes aren’t they?

93. shootdapuck says:

Fehr in hockey.

Prepare for another lockout!

It’s coming!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

94. b_whalen13 says:

Just reading a piece by eric engles http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eric-Engels/Boring-Off-Season-Fading-Training-Camp-Around-the8230/82/29902

In it he writes “Don Meehan joined Tony Marinaro yesterday afternoon and stated that Andrei Markov will likely be ready to start the season.”

95. WarHero says:

We all hope it’s true!!

————————————————————————

96. G-Man says:

Videotron owner Peladeau has enough money to build the New Colissee. Build it on the parking lot of the old one. Should be ready for 2012/13. Let’s go!

97. WarHero says:

And it will get rid of all the default Habs fans who are still in love with the Nords :)

————————————————————————

98. GrimJim says:

HIO invented the 40s 50s 60s late 80s and early 90s? With our hot tub time machine?

Do you want to borrow my copy of Forever Rivals?

99. LA Loyalist says:

Habs > Nordique games were always a blast! Lots of fun for both sides. It would be great.

100. krob1000 says:

He’s baaa-aaack…..http://www.tsn.ca/golf/story/?id=331714

One day after his divorce is finalized…Tiger shoots a 65 and takes the early clubhouse lead….

101. WarHero says:

Yeah! Go Tiger! Must be nice feeling that freedom :)

————————————————————————

102. LA Loyalist says:

he needs to earn some money now :)

103. SeriousFan09 says:

Plays better when he’s having a lot of sex and I imagine he celebrated the divorce.

Who cares? If anyone here could be better at their job and make way more money by having guilt-free, anonymous sex would they not?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

104. Storm Man says:

Plus the fact he can bed all the women he wants now and not be looking over his shoulder.

105. namgel says:

He must have went out last night to celebrate and got his Long Iron game all straightened out

;-)

Bwah hahahahahah !!!

106. K-hab25 says:

That was the problem, he was doing that anyway. :-)

107. krob1000 says:

….now he can have his cell phone back,  access his inventory and Callaway!

108. WarHero says:

hahahahaha, nice!

————————————————————————

109. namgel says:

Callaway…Ha…get it ??  Golf reference…..good job !

110. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Your French is indeed good enough to have understood that Holland DID make the same decision when he took over as GM. He says that when he came in, Mike Vernon had just won the Conn Smythe and the Cup. He decided to trade him for a couple of 2nd-round picks and go with the unproven, younger Chris Osgood.

In another article I read that talks about the Holland statements, he also goes on to say that Price is very talented, has good size and is still very young, which people tend to forget. It definitely sounds as if he thinks Gauthier made a reasonable move.

111. K-hab25 says:

That’s what I got from it aswell. Basically that he did the same thing as Gauthier, trading the older goalie and keeping the younger one. I also agree with you that there pretty equal goaltenders, Halak slightly ahead, but 2 years further along in his development, but also 2 years closer to UFA status. I also agree STL would’ve been a better team with Halak or Price, compared to Chris Mason.

112. krob1000 says:

thanks for the clarification…and no thanks for replying!…I tried to fix all of my mistakes once I got off the phone but got the dreaded “access denied” message lol.

113. LA Loyalist says:

Whether or not Halak should have been traded can and has been argued to death here on HIO and certainly we can give weight to Holland’s opinion, the guy has cred.

But there are two other components to the event:

1. Price should have been locked first.

2. What we got for Halak, and that is unknowable until Eller has what (a year?) under his belt.

So with Price unsigned and Eller an unknown, there is still plenty to brawl about :) and the jury is WAY OUT on Gauthier.

114. K-hab25 says:

“The right move” Seems to be the general consensus, well besides some media blowhards trying to generate readers with controversy and the pissed off Halakites.

115. krob1000 says:

There is more to that though…RFA’s like Price are difficult to sign, If we had signed Price before Halak and everyone would have known and that would have weakened our position there so that whole argument cancels itself out to me anyway.  Yes Eller is unproven…but in reality…so too is Halak.  He has still never played a full season as a number 1 himself and we all saw what happened to Vesa Toskala (whose style is realtively similar to Halak) when he got the starting gig.  The game is littered with goaleis whose stars shine brightly for a while only to fade…and to be fair this could happen to Price as well but Halak is hardly a very “proven” goaile…he is young and shown that ability…as has Price, he did win two series…but Steve Penney also impressed me as a kid…the jury is out from both sides perspective but the real question of Price vs Halak is the issue.  Without a crystal ball…AND without emotional attachment to the recent success of Halak….the facts of the situation all things considered (unless the offers for Price were huge) I think the best decision at the time was made …again based on what we know.  Two goalies who are pretty well equal…then you start to evaluate other factors….PRice was the one to keep IMO…..unless our fans torment him so bad that he goes to a West Coast team to hide from the beers being thrown at him everytime he allows a goal.

116. K-hab25 says:

He said he traded Vernon, a guy coming off a cup and winning the playoff MVP, for 2 2nd round picks. We got a 1st and a 3rd for Halak. I don’t get the argument. A guy who was a #1 for 3months, a 25 year old with less than 100 starts and a 1st and a 3rd is to little. What were you expecting for our young unproven goaltender, there best player?

117. Mark C says:

Well said, Krob. The whole “sign Price then trade Halak” augment relies on Price signing before July 1st, as the market for trading Halak decreases greatly on that day (believe 4 teams added 1A/B goalies on that day this year).

Why would Price sign early? Negotiation logic would suggest that the only reason he signs early is become his initial, and likely high contract number is met. Meaning that Price signs for more than he will end up signing for now.

118. LA Loyalist says:

“two goalies who are pretty well equal…” ?!?! well they were’nt pretty well equal in 2010, were they?

Price lost his job, Halak won two playoff series against Washington and Pittsburgh.

Yeah, Price won in junior – how many years ago now?

Equal? I don’t mind a different opinion arguing that Price is young and maybe a better long term bet, that’s debatable either way, but in the year of our lord 2010 “are pretty well equal”.

I feel bad calling you guys out all the time but sheesh. Your statement as it stands is utterly unsupportable based on the facts. The purple kool-aid is still flowing strong. You can like Price better, fine, go crazy. But don’t pretend it’s objective analysis.

119. LA Loyalist says:

We could have signed them both and traded one at the trade deadline when the picture of what we needed and what other teams needed would be a lot clearer (and also the injury picture, which is inevitable).

And Price would have had to fight for his job instead of having it handed to him.

That went well last year for Price didn’t it. Do you guys actually watch any games? I’m just asking. You wouldn’t know it by reading HIO, sometimes.

Sorry, but jeez the PriceBots are relentless.

120. Mark C says:

That was a possibility, but again there are downsides to that strategy as well. Will there be issues with getting both to signed, knowing they are entering the same situation as last year? How will the battle play out in camp, during the season, and will it become a distraction, e.g. will one player ask/demand a trade? Also, #1 goalies are rarely traded at the deadline, the last was Huet. Waiting until the deadline might mean the market is zero teams, or at the most one or two. Also, there is the chance that cap issues make a trade more difficult. This situation might have worked, however it is undeniably risky.

As a side note, I believe there was no perfect solution to this issue. There are many pros and cons to every solution in this situation.

121. krob1000 says:

it has been shown on here and other sites repeatedly that their career numbers and even last years numbers were not far off each other and considering them pretty well equal is absolutely objective as I really did not have a preference…whichever one was hot was fine with me.  Last year…taht was Halak….noone is denying that…but Halak is every bit as unproven and statistically they are comparable…aside fromt he win/loss number.  One can argue that number to death as well…some will say it is all that matters…others will look at teams play in front, goal support,team quality, injuries,etc…..bottom line is that statistically to this point in their careers their numbers are nearly identical in most categories of significance. You can either accept it or not but I try mey damndest to be as objective as possible …and I truly did not care which goalie was traded, which goalie played,etc….I still don’t…there will be times in the future where Kari Ramo is the go to guy and I actually still believe he is another kid with starting goalie potential down the road so this whole controversy may rear its ugly head again….and like this last time…I really will not care…..whoever is playing better…plays even if it is Alex Auld.  By the way…last season is over…..Halak is not still playing any better than Price…..they are once again equal …and the decision was made after the season…when they were equal again….when they were not…Halak played deservedly…that simple dude.

122. LA Loyalist says:

thank you for a reasoned and considered post.

my personal decision would ultimately be to have 2 reliable goalies, due to injury, length of season and that they mostly tend to be streaky.

everything else about Price aside, even if he plays great (and he may) we have Auld as backup. Sheesh.

123. Mark C says:

I agree, it would have been nice to keep both, at least for one more season. However, given all the factors at hand, keeping both was likely not a realistic possibility. At some point, if both goalies were playing well, their performance would be returning an underutilization. It is time one of them gains the bulk of starts.

124. krob1000 says:

We just bought an insurance policy in KAri Ramo as well remember.  They are going to give Price this year to establish himself…..if by chance that does not work out…we have a similarly high touted porspect (yes he still he is one at 23 and not having played in the NHl last year) in Ramo.  Auld is here for that one year window and really in the grand scheme of things Ramo is PRice’s longer term rival…but the great thing is he is overseas…..so there liekly won;t be a hgue controversy…Desjardins who many believed was some htoshot prospect but is actually 2 years older than Ramo and not as good would have been controversial.  They handled things as well as they could have IMO …. you are right..there was no perfe t solution…and they had to go with what seemed like the ‘most right” answer…I believe they did that.

125. pic1983 says:

Total fabrication.  Mikey’s french could use a little fine tuning it seems.

126. Storm Man says:

Us Quebecers as you put it pay Canadian taxes. My post was about Duceppe running to Harper looking for a handout. The Quebec govrement should use Quebec tax dollers for the new arena and not look at Canadian tax money, Im not 100 percent but I dont think any Canadian team has used the countrys tax dollers for a new arena.