From Fehr to Fisher

Reports surfaced Wednesday night that former MLB players’ association boss Donald Fehr has been hired by the NHLPA. Nothing has yet to be confirmed, though.

Will Donald Fehr be the NHLPA’s next boss?

More on Fehr from CBC’s Jeff Marek.

The Gazette’s Red Fisher will be inducted into the Quebec Hall of Fame.

Former Hab Brisebois on NASCAR fast track, Dave Stubbs writes.

Ken Holland wasn’t surprised by Habs decision to trade Halak, La Presse reports.

Quebec City needs a new arena before an NHL return, Bettman says.

Canadiens to get more exposure on CBC than the Maple Leafs.

1. mike g says:

I’m not saying that at all guys, ur seeing it in a different way..

The game isn’t played on paper, and Philly probably won’t win the Cup. So many things happen during the course of the year that it’s impossible to predict who will win and why. All I’m saying is based on last years results, and the changes made to their roster, they are the best team compared to Chicago (the only team to eliminate them).

And btw, it wasn’t Gagne’s return that sparked the Flyers. It was Mike Richards smashing, totally killer David Krejci open ice, and breaking his wrist in the process that spelled the end for the Bruins. Without Kreijci, they only had Bergeron at center because Savard looked like he was 96 years old due to his concussion problems. Trust me, I follow the Flyers cuz I like Mike Richards, and the loss of their only offensive centerman was why Boston crumbled.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

2. HabFanSince72 says:

They do this in football (soccer) for certain star players.

It wouldn’t work in the NHL because of the CBA .

3. otter649 says:

No – Crosby carried him quite abit over the last two years – Should have been 30 plus goal scorer not 20……..

4. Joltin Joe says:

Random dummy thought here.

We’ve thrown Big $$ to lure FAs to sign here to compensate for Qc. Taxes and Local Media Pressure. We all know as Habs fans that this is a unique market with unique fans. Habs Fans will idolize their players to a level unmatched by any other NHL city. This leads to tons of Habs merchandise sold, moreso than any other NHL franchise.

My dummy thought, offer players market salary (or less) but as an incentive add on a % of sales revenue of their own official merchandise sold (ie. jerseys). Example: 2010-2011 season, Habs sell 500,000 Cammy T-shirts, jersyes to all concession stands, stores, boutiques for a total Gross Sales Revenue at the end of season of $40 Mill. Player gets 1% or $400,000 bonus for the year.

Do well individually, better chances team does well….better chances your merchandise sells more = more $$ for all and fans are happy with player/team’s results.

Say the right things to the press, to the fans, do community/charity work…better chances your populairty within the local community and culture grows…better chances your merchadise sells = more $$ for all and again fans are happy with player/team’s results.

Who knows, instead of rejecting their hometown, maybe Qc born players would have more incentive to sign here knowing their “brand” name would be very popular locally especially if they perform ?

Instead of players partying it up they would be a little more careful to protect their image and more importantly their “brand” image as it now impacts the wallet directly.

Can this theory or a variation of it be a viable strategy to sign UFAs in future ? Curious what you think.

5. mike g says:

PK will be the 2nd highest d-man for PP minutes, but I still don’t think he’ll have enough overall icetime to get the Calder.

Guys like Bernier, Hall and Seguin will for sure get a ton of votes. And Seguin will play in the NHL this year, don’t worry they’ll find a way to fit him under the cap.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

6. pic1983 says:

Too bad the game isnt played on paper, its played on the ice.  Their lack of a top-flight goalie will cost them again, and they dont have even close to the offensive talent that chicago had to pull them out of it.  Gagne was the catalyst that sparked philly.  They were getting manhandled by the bruins before gagne came back, and now hes gone.

7. WarHero says:

I just can’t understand why someone, who usually has great posts, could agree with something so incorrect.

————————————————————————

8. pic1983 says:

Stanley Cup: Washington Capitals

Presidents Trophy: Pittsburgh Penguins (Cant stand them, but man do i love the additions of Michalek and Martin)

Art Ross: Nicklas Backstrom (C – WSH)

Rocket Richard: Ovechkin

Hart:  Ovechkin

Vezina: Jaroslav Halak

Norris: Drew Doughty

Calder: PK SUBBAN!!!! (TAKE THAT, Taylor hall and Tyler Seguin!)

Conn Smythe: Alexander Ovechkin

9. Bill J says:

Funny you should say this “today”

I just read a new rumour on vestiaire.ca

1) Habs may be interested in Bill Guerin’s services for a one year 1 – 1.5 Mill contract

2) a possible trade with EDM sending AK46 & Spacek in return the Habs would get either

– Penner & Stortini OR

– Penner & Souray.

Just a rumour, and we all know how legit Hab rumours are in general.  But quite a concidence on your Bill Guerin comment

10. mike g says:

Ur telling me if he plays at the same level they don’t win the Cup?

Seriously Seriousfan, who’s gonna stop the Flyers? Maybe they will be eliminated, but going only with plain logic, nobody can touch them.

Leighton’s level of play last year allowed the Flyers to be withing 2 games of hoisting the Cup. They went out and adressed their biggest need in defense, and signed Sean Odonnel and traded for Mezsaros. If you don’t think that’s now the best defense in the East, then I don’t know what to say.

Their forwards were already incredible, and while they traded Gagne (who was only playing 20% of the games anyways cuz hes always hurt), guys like Giroux, VanRiemsdyk, Carle, and Leino are 1 year older and better. More ice-time for those players is a huge plus over Simon Gagne.

So if we can agree that they improved, nobody will logically beat them because Chicago ain’t the same team.

See where I’m goin with this.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

11. SeriousFan09 says:

We can criticize JM for not trusting his young players at times, but I’m pretty sure he knows what he has in Subban and I’m betting PK trails only Markov for PP time this season. He’ll be Top-4 D all season and has already shown he can shoulder 25 minutes a night if needed.

Seguin can only play for Boston if they lose Ryder or Thomas off their cap and so far, no indications of buyouts, AHL burials or teams accepting salary dump. Boston may just choose to let Seguin play junior for another year (Not a bad idea, these rookies keep hitting the wall in their first year when they’re fresh from junior.)

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

12. pic1983 says:

Easily the biggest lack of logic I have read today.  You just said we need to concentrate on offense and scoring goals, and than said we should put our best offensive players on the 4th line?

Thats a little silly, even for you.

13. pic1983 says:

After watching colorado and phoenix completely obliterate all pre-season expectations last season, I think the youth movement is the way to go.  We have enough veteran experience and leadership on this team already IMO.

14. G-Man says:

So, basically, you are pissing away this season? Now that’s confidence!

15. The Teacher says:

They got into the playoffs on a farce as it already was…. Lost Gagne and they will for sure make the playoffs this year?

16. SeriousFan09 says:

Yes, move the ‘midgets’ who generally led the team in scoring back to the 4th line and move the 15-25 point grunts up to the Top 6, solid plan right there.

Brian Gionta, Tomas Plekanec, Mike Cammalleri and Scott Gomez offer a good balance of offensive power, as does the potential of AK, BP and the addition of Lars Eller. Only forward besides them over 6′ with any demonstrated scoring potential is Max Lapierre with 15G from 08-09.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

17. mike g says:

I’m talkin with my head, and not my heart…

Sure I want PK to win the Calder, but will it happen? Probly not.

The Habs will probly baby him and not give him enough ice time to earn the Calder. His PP minutes won’t be as high as they should, and I see Seguin ripping it up if he plays with one of either Savard, Bergeron or Krecji. All 3 of those centerman are pass 1st guys, so he will maybe even have a shot at scoring 30.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

18. SeriousFan09 says:

Saying Leighton has to play like he did last year, it’s not the best plan I’ve ever heard for winning a championship.

I’m calling an Eastern team to knock that fraud out of nets.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

19. LA Loyalist says:

Amen.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

20. LA Loyalist says:

I admit we are spoiled, but surely Habs have an expectation from management of better that top 20 goalie. Have we slipped so far?

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

21. SeriousFan09 says:

Not really, he was showing his age with the Penguins last season and the team already has veterans. The idea is to get younger with the squad anyway.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

22. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

That would be a bargain, with 20 NHL goalies making more than that, 21 if you count Huet. Thomas 5mil, Kippy 5.8, Leclaire 3.8, Giggy 6, Hiller 4.5, Di Pietro 4.5 just to name a few, there are some pretty dissastrous goalie contracts out there, so 2.75 mil sounds great to me!

23. mike g says:

They’ve got the most balanced group of forwards and defenseman in the NHL…

That’s what won Chicago the Cup last year, not Anti Niemi. So Leighton will just have to play the same way he did, and they’ll be fine.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

24. LA Loyalist says:

He would have smacked Sergei around. But I guess that cow is out of the barn.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

25. Storm Man says:

Read your email it is about the ESPN fantasy league :)

26. Storm Man says:

5 years ago. What could he bring to the table for the Habs? Boxes of just for men.

27. scrowe21 says:

All depends on Pouliot really..

——–If you play nhl10 for xbox360 add me – scrowe21

My spinorama shootout goal with Cammy

28. andrewberkshire says:

We have enough veterans, the goal is to get younger.

29. SLONCOLD says:

flyers winning the cup? not that i can’t see it happening but with leghton? nah lol

30. SeriousFan09 says:

No offence, but I hope some of those predictions are terribly wrong.

Or if you’re taking offence, whatever, I’m sure you’ll live.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

31. SLONCOLD says:

wouldn’t it be nice to get a player like Guerin in our lineup?

32. nunacanadien says:

Well when we stop worrying about Carey, we need to concentrate on our lack of offensive scoring, lack of quality shots, and lack of a good 5 on 5 offensive scoring.  We need to find someone other than Boyd to support Cammaleri.  We need to move the midgets back to the 4th line and instead concentrate on scoring.  If we can’t save shots, then we need to outscore the other team, and with our current makeup, we don’t have the offensive capacity to do this.

33. mbplekfan says:

And the endless goalie debate continues…

Why isnt anyone pointing out that on his average nights Carey is still one of the top 20 netminders in the league?

Sure, when he is off his game he isnt very good, but when he is ON his game he is a top flight goalie.

Im sure that there are lots of teams that would love to pencil Carey in as their #1 for the upcoming season.

If anyone expects that at his age he will play lights out for 60 games a year they are dreaming. Give him this season to settle in to his #1 position and let PK get a year under his belt, and let Eller play serious minutes and earn his spot and lets look ahead to the next year when we have free agent money to spend and an up and coming group of young players.

34. Malreg says:

Been posted many times.  Personally I think it’s a blogger/reporter’s wild guess at what the contract will be, hoping to be right so that he can say he has real “insiders”.

It’s pretty much the same contract that everyone on the internet has been saying for months now.  2 years, anywhere between 2-2.75 mil.

35. mike g says:

Stanley Cup: Flyers

Prez: Caps

Art Ross: Ovi

Rocket: Stamkos

Jennings: Ryan Miller

Hart: Drew Doughty

Vezina: Miller

Norris: Doughty

Calder: Seguin

Lady Bing: Pavel Datsyuk

Conn Smythe: Mike Richards

Jack Adams: Pete Laviolette

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

36. RGM says:

He would still be an RFA, though with arbitration rights. UFA status hits at age 27.

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

37. WarHero says:

————————————————————————

38. slamtherimtim says:

would he be a rfa or ufa after 2 years

39. fuhgawz says:

the cities of Boston and Toronto would implode — id love it

40. habstrinifan says:

I see you still have some of that good stuff from the sixties left over. Can you say “Lucy in the sky with Diamonds” boys and girls.

OOOPS! This reply was meant for LikeRoy’s post below!

41. habstrinifan says:

Good all around! It would mean he is signed and we can ‘start’ the season and 2.75 aint bad for either side.

42. joshua94k says:

In B.C. they don’t want to watch the Leafs, in Newfoundland they don’t want to watch the Leafs, in Saskatchewan they don’t want to watch the Leafs… Nobody does ! The fact is that viewers watch the team the Leafs are facing. The NHL scheduler puts teams such as the Penguins, Capitals, Red Wings, Canucks and of course Canadiens on Saturday nights against the Leafs to get higher ratings.

HNIC lost s lot of viewers while RDS is rapidly growing its viewership, especially outside Quebec.

“It’s too much for one guy to shoulder. For us, we’re going to do it as a group. It’s about sharing that responsibility win or lose.” – Mike Cammallerie

43. likehoy says:

Norris: Andrei Markov

Calder: PK Subban

Lady Byng: Tomas Plekanec

Conn Smythe: Michael Cammalleri

Jack Adams: Jacques Martin

Selke (you missed this one): Tomas Plekanec

– I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

44. pic1983 says:

Who cares? If the game is on both CBC and RDS, I watch it on RDS every time, and Im an anglophone!

45. mrhabby says:

sledge hammer bettman..the little napolean.

46. LA Loyalist says:

I probably shouldn’t encourage you, but as usual, hilarious, especially the tm re priceless.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

47. fuhgawz says:

i expect big things from both AK and Benny —

AK cause the excuses are over its your last chance

Benny preform and get paid i think he wants to prove why is was an early draft pick if not for that reason well me thinks he wants a larger pay check next season

as for Price lets face it he needs to bring it — in a way i feel for the kid.  People believe in him it isnt his fault now he has to either prove to us and everyone else that he is (A) everything he was billed to be or (B) Andrew Raycroft 2.0

48. fuhgawz says:

1)Cammy 2)AK 3)Eller 4)Subban 5)Spacek

49. crabvader says:

Screw that, I’m just waiting/hoping that AK will earn his!

50. fuhgawz says:

been posted before — as far as im concerned good enough now lets go play hockey

Carey earn your friggen contract now please we NEED you

51. havok says:

rumor (i underline and stress the word):
    Price 2yrs @ 2.75 mil per. Discuss

52. SeriousFan09 says:

Stanley Cup: For me it’s wide open right now but for the hell of it, Les Habitants.

President’s Trophy: Washington Capitals, their lack of defence may knock them out of the playoffs but they can rule the regular season easily.

Art Ross: Alex Ovechkin (only missed it last year with missing games)

Rocket Richard: Alex Ovechkin (Most natural scorer in the NHL)

Jennings: Don’t know, don’t care.

Hart: Crosby or Ovie.

Vezina: A goalie who will be eliminated after the 1st round of the playoffs.

Norris: Duncan Keith

Calder: PK Subban

Lady Byng: Datsyuk or St Louis

Conn Smythe: Carey Price 😉

Jack Adams: Whoever bootstraps a 09-10 non playoff team into playoff contention. (Seems to be a recent theme)

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

53. fuhgawz says:

Cup — Habs (fingers crossed)   Pres. — Caps   Art Ross — Crosby  Rocket — Ovie  Jennings — Habs(price)

Hart — Crosby  Vezina — Price  Norris — Markov  Calder — PK   Lady Byng — Datsyuk  Conn Smythe — Price

Jack Adams — JM

Lady Byng

Conn Smythe

and…..Jack Adams

??????????????????????

55. SeriousFan09 says:

LOL on Quebec City :)

As for Bleacher Report, I usually wait for something like a Top 10 listing that isn’t terribly partisan to read (IE 10 reasons the Leafs WILL OWN YOU THIS YEAR) before I bother, the higher the profile that site has gone, the more hacks have logged in and started ‘reporting for them.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

56. Chuck says:

Another classic!

57. JD_ says:

* Congratulations to Red Fisher on his induction into the QSHOF in the Builders category. Joinin’ him are fellow inductees Super Mario, Danielle Goyette, and a whole bunch of people I’ve never heard of.

* Man, to be a fly on the wall durin’ the upcomin’ CBA negotiations, if only to watch Bettman occasionally respond to Donald Fehr’s demands by sayin’, “Don, that doesn’t sound…mmmph…quite…mmmph…Fehr. Hey-oooooh!”, followin’ which Gary high-fives Daly and the rest of his cronies as gales of laughter ring throughout the room. No, seriously, Bettman’s goin’ to do this at least a dozen times.

* I’ve only recently noticed the bleacher report website. Wasn’t really sure what to think of it until I came across this. Not sure what the standards are at b/r, but with all due respect to high-school newspapers, the thing reads like a story written for a high-school newspaper. I cannot possibly be expected to take this Jason dude’s gravitas-starved authorship seriously, even if he did manage to throw in this alleged Kaberle Sr. quote, “I cannot imagine how he [Tomas Kaberle] will get along with coach Ron Wilson, who relies primarily on stress and aggression.”

* Ah, yes, Stress’N’Aggression coaches. The ones with a short shelf life when there’s only minimal talent on the team. Just ask Mike Keenan. Seems almost inevitable ol’ Ron himself will be shown the door some time before the All-Star break, you know, when his buddy Burkie’s collar is ever-so-tightened by the Loafs’ rapidly evaporatin’ playoff prospects. The day after Wilson’s gone, watch for His Burkeness to write a fiery op-ed piece on some hockey-related issue that has absolutely nothin’ to do with the Loafs. Magicians call this misdirection. Problem for Burkie is, of course, there are a lot of really bad magicians out there. A lot.

* So IIHF head honcho, and apparently a challenger to Brian Burke’s tenure as hockey’s most laughable blowhard, Rene Fasel blew his load all over the place at the World Hockey Boondoggle in T.O. yesterday, statin’ that the NHL would put teams in Europe “over my dead body”. After several hours of deliberation, arbitrator Richard Bloch ruled that, “in accordance with the aforementioned provisions cited in the [Collective Bargaining Agreement], the league and Mr. Bettman, in particular, are wholly within their rights to, at their whim, liquidate Mr. Fasel in order to effect NHL plans for total world domination.”

* Carey Price hasn’t signed™. In other news, after bein’ convicted of tax evasion and sentenced to three years in prison, actor Wesley Snipes is fightin’ to stay out of jail by callin’ for a new trial and citin’ jury misconduct. Well, well, well, Mr. Snipes, I’ve seen yer movies and am citin’ cinematic misconduct. Off to the gaol, me matey!

* NHL commissioner Gary “Sledgehammer” Bettman has once again let it be known Quebec City will need to build a new arena if it wants an NHL team. Which brings me to this: Do it, Quebec City! Just f*****’ do it! I don’t care if you fund it by shuttin’ down schools and hospitals or even sellin’ your children into slavery! Jesus in a wetsuit, build the damned arena!!! I want the loathsome ‘Diques back and I want them back NOW!!!

58. WarHero says:

Cammy, AK, Lappy, Georges, Hammer

————————————————————————

59. Rugger says:

Pleks, he will earn his raise

Gomez,

Laps, he will (mostly) shut up and play

Subban because i do not believe Markov will be back as quickly as hoped

Hammer when traded at the deadline

60. SeriousFan09 says:

1. Gionta (Due to wearing the C)

2. Gomez

3. Eller

4. Markov

5. Hamrlik

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

61. SeriousFan09 says:

Baby steps, can’t cancel the Retired Cranks Who Hate the Habs Pension Fund all at once at CBC.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

62. mike g says:

Alrighty then..

Since it’s really hard to predict a team MVP for the Habs in 2011, so let’s pick from these choices. Who will have the biggest impact on the team between:

1- Cammy, Gionta, Pleks.

2- Pouliot, AK, Gomez.

3- Eller, Lappiere, Moen.

4- Markov, Subban, Georges.

5- Gill, Hammr, Spacek.

My choices are Cammy, Gomez, Eller, Markov, and Spacek.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

63. HabFanSince72 says:

Just Healy?

64. otter649 says:

I live in The GTA & get The Habs games @ CBC.ca and watch them online………

65. WarHero says:

————————————————————————

66. SegerHabs says:

What would be we do without RDS!

But yeah, I’m in NL so our distribution situations are very similar. I believe last year the breakdown was 26 leafs-25 Habs…and you are well aware how that turned out for your Saturday nights.

67. SeriousFan09 says:

CBC really wants to win viewers over they can try sacking Healy.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

68. avatar_58 says:

If that’s the case I’ll be very annoyed. Oh well though, CBC west (is that the name?) might have it and I get that channel. Not HD, but it’s english I guess.

69. habs-hampton says:

I posted the same time as you. I guess we’re both skeptics and feel that CBC will still find a way to screw us over! I don’t think I’ll be cancelling RDS anytime soon.

70. habs-hampton says:

It’s great news about the CBC’s decision to broadcast more Habs games. But, I’m wondering what it really means for me. I live in New Brunswick, and we always get the Leafs and can’t get CBC english games from Quebec. Does it mean that Montreal will get the National game 28 times and the National game will be shown in all regions?

71. SegerHabs says:

The CBC schedule has 29 Montreal games…however how many of these will be the national distribution is the question? I have never had a problem with the amount of Montreal games CBC has scheduled, it is the belief that outside of the GTA, the majority of Canada would prefer the leafs over the Habs broadcast!

There is a huge probability that 13 Montreal 7.00pm Saturday night games will be a Quebec only distribution.

A more realistic way of looking at the CBC schedule (from a national standpoint). The leafs will be shown 24 times, and the Habs 16…..unless you live in Quebec, then yes you will outnumber the leaf broadcasts 29-24.

72. pic1983 says:

– I really like the appointment of Donald Fehr to the PA.  At least if theres going to be a lock-out, its going to be entertaining.  If anyone can defeat bettman, its Donald Fehr.

– Kind of nice to see a high-end executive like Ken Holland tell everyone that the sky isnt falling, and that trading halak is just part of the business.

– On another Ken Holland note, glad to see him specifically name local kid David Perron when talking about St Louis’ young talent.  It’s nice to see David getting the respect he deserves considering that he wasnt even on NHL scouts radar as early as 4 years ago.

73. StevieRay says:

Laffs nation & Burke & Don Cheery  will want a Canadian Hockey Summit !!! What will they do ….

Just curious but if I recall Burke wasn’t going to come to TO unless his wife could get a TV job .. anyone know where she’s working … maybe Leaf TV …LOL!!

74. Propwash says:

It’s cool that the CBC is airing more Habs games than Loaf games. The downside is probably having to listen to Bob Cole’s jibberjabber.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

75. avatar_58 says:

Wow, more habs games than leafs on the CBC?? 28 games???

This makes me a happy person, given I do not have RDS HD.