From Fehr to Fisher

Reports surfaced Wednesday night that former MLB players’ association boss Donald Fehr has been hired by the NHLPA. Nothing has yet to be confirmed, though.

Will Donald Fehr be the NHLPA’s next boss?

More on Fehr from CBC’s Jeff Marek.

The Gazette’s Red Fisher will be inducted into the Quebec Hall of Fame.

Former Hab Brisebois on NASCAR fast track, Dave Stubbs writes.

Ken Holland wasn’t surprised by Habs decision to trade Halak, La Presse reports.

Quebec City needs a new arena before an NHL return, Bettman says.

Canadiens to get more exposure on CBC than the Maple Leafs.

1. mike g says:

I’m not saying that at all guys, ur seeing it in a different way..

The game isn’t played on paper, and Philly probably won’t win the Cup. So many things happen during the course of the year that it’s impossible to predict who will win and why. All I’m saying is based on last years results, and the changes made to their roster, they are the best team compared to Chicago (the only team to eliminate them).

And btw, it wasn’t Gagne’s return that sparked the Flyers. It was Mike Richards smashing, totally killer David Krejci open ice, and breaking his wrist in the process that spelled the end for the Bruins. Without Kreijci, they only had Bergeron at center because Savard looked like he was 96 years old due to his concussion problems. Trust me, I follow the Flyers cuz I like Mike Richards, and the loss of their only offensive centerman was why Boston crumbled.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

2. HabFanSince72 says:

They do this in football (soccer) for certain star players.

It wouldn’t work in the NHL because of the CBA .

3. otter649 says:

No – Crosby carried him quite abit over the last two years – Should have been 30 plus goal scorer not 20……..

4. Joltin Joe says:

Random dummy thought here.

We’ve thrown Big $$ to lure FAs to sign here to compensate for Qc. Taxes and Local Media Pressure. We all know as Habs fans that this is a unique market with unique fans. Habs Fans will idolize their players to a level unmatched by any other NHL city. This leads to tons of Habs merchandise sold, moreso than any other NHL franchise.

My dummy thought, offer players market salary (or less) but as an incentive add on a % of sales revenue of their own official merchandise sold (ie. jerseys). Example: 2010-2011 season, Habs sell 500,000 Cammy T-shirts, jersyes to all concession stands, stores, boutiques for a total Gross Sales Revenue at the end of season of $40 Mill. Player gets 1% or $400,000 bonus for the year.

Do well individually, better chances team does well….better chances your merchandise sells more = more $$ for all and fans are happy with player/team’s results.

Say the right things to the press, to the fans, do community/charity work…better chances your populairty within the local community and culture grows…better chances your merchadise sells = more $$ for all and again fans are happy with player/team’s results.

Who knows, instead of rejecting their hometown, maybe Qc born players would have more incentive to sign here knowing their “brand” name would be very popular locally especially if they perform ?

Instead of players partying it up they would be a little more careful to protect their image and more importantly their “brand” image as it now impacts the wallet directly.

Can this theory or a variation of it be a viable strategy to sign UFAs in future ? Curious what you think.

5. mike g says:

PK will be the 2nd highest d-man for PP minutes, but I still don’t think he’ll have enough overall icetime to get the Calder.

Guys like Bernier, Hall and Seguin will for sure get a ton of votes. And Seguin will play in the NHL this year, don’t worry they’ll find a way to fit him under the cap.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

6. pic1983 says:

Too bad the game isnt played on paper, its played on the ice.  Their lack of a top-flight goalie will cost them again, and they dont have even close to the offensive talent that chicago had to pull them out of it.  Gagne was the catalyst that sparked philly.  They were getting manhandled by the bruins before gagne came back, and now hes gone.

7. WarHero says:

I just can’t understand why someone, who usually has great posts, could agree with something so incorrect.

8. pic1983 says:

Stanley Cup: Washington Capitals

Presidents Trophy: Pittsburgh Penguins (Cant stand them, but man do i love the additions of Michalek and Martin)

Art Ross: Nicklas Backstrom (C – WSH)

Rocket Richard: Ovechkin

Hart:  Ovechkin

Vezina: Jaroslav Halak

Norris: Drew Doughty

Calder: PK SUBBAN!!!! (TAKE THAT, Taylor hall and Tyler Seguin!)

Conn Smythe: Alexander Ovechkin

9. Bill J says:

Funny you should say this “today”

I just read a new rumour on

1) Habs may be interested in Bill Guerin’s services for a one year 1 – 1.5 Mill contract

2) a possible trade with EDM sending AK46 & Spacek in return the Habs would get either

– Penner & Stortini OR

– Penner & Souray.

Just a rumour, and we all know how legit Hab rumours are in general.  But quite a concidence on your Bill Guerin comment

10. mike g says:

Ur telling me if he plays at the same level they don’t win the Cup?

Seriously Seriousfan, who’s gonna stop the Flyers? Maybe they will be eliminated, but going only with plain logic, nobody can touch them.

Leighton’s level of play last year allowed the Flyers to be withing 2 games of hoisting the Cup. They went out and adressed their biggest need in defense, and signed Sean Odonnel and traded for Mezsaros. If you don’t think that’s now the best defense in the East, then I don’t know what to say.

Their forwards were already incredible, and while they traded Gagne (who was only playing 20% of the games anyways cuz hes always hurt), guys like Giroux, VanRiemsdyk, Carle, and Leino are 1 year older and better. More ice-time for those players is a huge plus over Simon Gagne.

So if we can agree that they improved, nobody will logically beat them because Chicago ain’t the same team.

See where I’m goin with this.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

11. SeriousFan09 says:

We can criticize JM for not trusting his young players at times, but I’m pretty sure he knows what he has in Subban and I’m betting PK trails only Markov for PP time this season. He’ll be Top-4 D all season and has already shown he can shoulder 25 minutes a night if needed.

Seguin can only play for Boston if they lose Ryder or Thomas off their cap and so far, no indications of buyouts, AHL burials or teams accepting salary dump. Boston may just choose to let Seguin play junior for another year (Not a bad idea, these rookies keep hitting the wall in their first year when they’re fresh from junior.)

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

12. pic1983 says:

Easily the biggest lack of logic I have read today.  You just said we need to concentrate on offense and scoring goals, and than said we should put our best offensive players on the 4th line?

Thats a little silly, even for you.

13. pic1983 says:

After watching colorado and phoenix completely obliterate all pre-season expectations last season, I think the youth movement is the way to go.  We have enough veteran experience and leadership on this team already IMO.

14. G-Man says:

So, basically, you are pissing away this season? Now that’s confidence!

15. The Teacher says:

They got into the playoffs on a farce as it already was…. Lost Gagne and they will for sure make the playoffs this year?

16. SeriousFan09 says:

Yes, move the ‘midgets’ who generally led the team in scoring back to the 4th line and move the 15-25 point grunts up to the Top 6, solid plan right there.

Brian Gionta, Tomas Plekanec, Mike Cammalleri and Scott Gomez offer a good balance of offensive power, as does the potential of AK, BP and the addition of Lars Eller. Only forward besides them over 6′ with any demonstrated scoring potential is Max Lapierre with 15G from 08-09.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

17. mike g says:

I’m talkin with my head, and not my heart…

Sure I want PK to win the Calder, but will it happen? Probly not.

The Habs will probly baby him and not give him enough ice time to earn the Calder. His PP minutes won’t be as high as they should, and I see Seguin ripping it up if he plays with one of either Savard, Bergeron or Krecji. All 3 of those centerman are pass 1st guys, so he will maybe even have a shot at scoring 30.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

18. SeriousFan09 says:

Saying Leighton has to play like he did last year, it’s not the best plan I’ve ever heard for winning a championship.

I’m calling an Eastern team to knock that fraud out of nets.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

19. LA Loyalist says:

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

20. LA Loyalist says:

I admit we are spoiled, but surely Habs have an expectation from management of better that top 20 goalie. Have we slipped so far?

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

21. SeriousFan09 says:

Not really, he was showing his age with the Penguins last season and the team already has veterans. The idea is to get younger with the squad anyway.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

22. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

That would be a bargain, with 20 NHL goalies making more than that, 21 if you count Huet. Thomas 5mil, Kippy 5.8, Leclaire 3.8, Giggy 6, Hiller 4.5, Di Pietro 4.5 just to name a few, there are some pretty dissastrous goalie contracts out there, so 2.75 mil sounds great to me!

23. mike g says:

They’ve got the most balanced group of forwards and defenseman in the NHL…

That’s what won Chicago the Cup last year, not Anti Niemi. So Leighton will just have to play the same way he did, and they’ll be fine.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

24. LA Loyalist says:

He would have smacked Sergei around. But I guess that cow is out of the barn.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

25. Storm Man says:

Read your email it is about the ESPN fantasy league :)

26. Storm Man says:

5 years ago. What could he bring to the table for the Habs? Boxes of just for men.

27. scrowe21 says:

All depends on Pouliot really..

——–If you play nhl10 for xbox360 add me – scrowe21

My spinorama shootout goal with Cammy

28. andrewberkshire says:

We have enough veterans, the goal is to get younger.

29. SLONCOLD says:

flyers winning the cup? not that i can’t see it happening but with leghton? nah lol

30. SeriousFan09 says:

No offence, but I hope some of those predictions are terribly wrong.

Or if you’re taking offence, whatever, I’m sure you’ll live.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

31. SLONCOLD says:

wouldn’t it be nice to get a player like Guerin in our lineup?

32. nunacanadien says:

Well when we stop worrying about Carey, we need to concentrate on our lack of offensive scoring, lack of quality shots, and lack of a good 5 on 5 offensive scoring.  We need to find someone other than Boyd to support Cammaleri.  We need to move the midgets back to the 4th line and instead concentrate on scoring.  If we can’t save shots, then we need to outscore the other team, and with our current makeup, we don’t have the offensive capacity to do this.

33. mbplekfan says:

And the endless goalie debate continues…

Why isnt anyone pointing out that on his average nights Carey is still one of the top 20 netminders in the league?

Sure, when he is off his game he isnt very good, but when he is ON his game he is a top flight goalie.

Im sure that there are lots of teams that would love to pencil Carey in as their #1 for the upcoming season.

If anyone expects that at his age he will play lights out for 60 games a year they are dreaming. Give him this season to settle in to his #1 position and let PK get a year under his belt, and let Eller play serious minutes and earn his spot and lets look ahead to the next year when we have free agent money to spend and an up and coming group of young players.

34. Malreg says:

Been posted many times.  Personally I think it’s a blogger/reporter’s wild guess at what the contract will be, hoping to be right so that he can say he has real “insiders”.

It’s pretty much the same contract that everyone on the internet has been saying for months now.  2 years, anywhere between 2-2.75 mil.

35. mike g says:

Stanley Cup: Flyers

Prez: Caps

Art Ross: Ovi

Rocket: Stamkos

Jennings: Ryan Miller

Hart: Drew Doughty

Vezina: Miller

Norris: Doughty

Calder: Seguin

Lady Bing: Pavel Datsyuk

Conn Smythe: Mike Richards

Jack Adams: Pete Laviolette

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

36. RGM says:

He would still be an RFA, though with arbitration rights. UFA status hits at age 27.

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

37. WarHero says:

Jack Adams – Boucher

38. slamtherimtim says:

would he be a rfa or ufa after 2 years

39. fuhgawz says:

the cities of Boston and Toronto would implode — id love it

40. habstrinifan says:

I see you still have some of that good stuff from the sixties left over. Can you say “Lucy in the sky with Diamonds” boys and girls.

OOOPS! This reply was meant for LikeRoy’s post below!

41. habstrinifan says:

Good all around! It would mean he is signed and we can ‘start’ the season and 2.75 aint bad for either side.

42. joshua94k says:

In B.C. they don’t want to watch the Leafs, in Newfoundland they don’t want to watch the Leafs, in Saskatchewan they don’t want to watch the Leafs… Nobody does ! The fact is that viewers watch the team the Leafs are facing. The NHL scheduler puts teams such as the Penguins, Capitals, Red Wings, Canucks and of course Canadiens on Saturday nights against the Leafs to get higher ratings.

HNIC lost s lot of viewers while RDS is rapidly growing its viewership, especially outside Quebec.

“It’s too much for one guy to shoulder. For us, we’re going to do it as a group. It’s about sharing that responsibility win or lose.” – Mike Cammallerie

43. likehoy says:

Norris: Andrei Markov

Calder: PK Subban

Lady Byng: Tomas Plekanec

Conn Smythe: Michael Cammalleri

Jack Adams: Jacques Martin

Selke (you missed this one): Tomas Plekanec

– I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

44. pic1983 says:

Who cares? If the game is on both CBC and RDS, I watch it on RDS every time, and Im an anglophone!

45. mrhabby says:

sledge hammer bettman..the little napolean.

46. LA Loyalist says:

I probably shouldn’t encourage you, but as usual, hilarious, especially the tm re priceless.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

47. fuhgawz says:

i expect big things from both AK and Benny —

AK cause the excuses are over its your last chance

Benny preform and get paid i think he wants to prove why is was an early draft pick if not for that reason well me thinks he wants a larger pay check next season

as for Price lets face it he needs to bring it — in a way i feel for the kid.  People believe in him it isnt his fault now he has to either prove to us and everyone else that he is (A) everything he was billed to be or (B) Andrew Raycroft 2.0

48. fuhgawz says:

1)Cammy 2)AK 3)Eller 4)Subban 5)Spacek

49. crabvader says:

Screw that, I’m just waiting/hoping that AK will earn his!

50. fuhgawz says:

been posted before — as far as im concerned good enough now lets go play hockey

Carey earn your friggen contract now please we NEED you

51. havok says:

rumor (i underline and stress the word):
    Price 2yrs @ 2.75 mil per. Discuss

52. SeriousFan09 says:

Stanley Cup: For me it’s wide open right now but for the hell of it, Les Habitants.

President’s Trophy: Washington Capitals, their lack of defence may knock them out of the playoffs but they can rule the regular season easily.

Art Ross: Alex Ovechkin (only missed it last year with missing games)

Rocket Richard: Alex Ovechkin (Most natural scorer in the NHL)

Jennings: Don’t know, don’t care.

Hart: Crosby or Ovie.

Vezina: A goalie who will be eliminated after the 1st round of the playoffs.

Norris: Duncan Keith

Calder: PK Subban

Lady Byng: Datsyuk or St Louis

Conn Smythe: Carey Price 😉

Jack Adams: Whoever bootstraps a 09-10 non playoff team into playoff contention. (Seems to be a recent theme)

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

53. fuhgawz says:

Cup — Habs (fingers crossed)   Pres. — Caps   Art Ross — Crosby  Rocket — Ovie  Jennings — Habs(price)

Hart — Crosby  Vezina — Price  Norris — Markov  Calder — PK   Lady Byng — Datsyuk  Conn Smythe — Price

Jack Adams — JM

54. fuhgawz says:

To go along with MikeG a few more for the upcoming 2011 season

Who will win the :

Stanley Cup

President’s Trophy

Art Ross

Rocket Richard

Lady Byng

Conn Smythe

and…..Jack Adams

55. SeriousFan09 says:

LOL on Quebec City :)

As for Bleacher Report, I usually wait for something like a Top 10 listing that isn’t terribly partisan to read (IE 10 reasons the Leafs WILL OWN YOU THIS YEAR) before I bother, the higher the profile that site has gone, the more hacks have logged in and started ‘reporting for them.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

56. Chuck says:

Another classic!

57. JD_ says:

* Congratulations to Red Fisher on his induction into the QSHOF in the Builders category. Joinin’ him are fellow inductees Super Mario, Danielle Goyette, and a whole bunch of people I’ve never heard of.

* Man, to be a fly on the wall durin’ the upcomin’ CBA negotiations, if only to watch Bettman occasionally respond to Donald Fehr’s demands by sayin’, “Don, that doesn’t sound…mmmph…quite…mmmph…Fehr. Hey-oooooh!”, followin’ which Gary high-fives Daly and the rest of his cronies as gales of laughter ring throughout the room. No, seriously, Bettman’s goin’ to do this at least a dozen times.

* I’ve only recently noticed the bleacher report website. Wasn’t really sure what to think of it until I came across this. Not sure what the standards are at b/r, but with all due respect to high-school newspapers, the thing reads like a story written for a high-school newspaper. I cannot possibly be expected to take this Jason dude’s gravitas-starved authorship seriously, even if he did manage to throw in this alleged Kaberle Sr. quote, “I cannot imagine how he [Tomas Kaberle] will get along with coach Ron Wilson, who relies primarily on stress and aggression.”

* Ah, yes, Stress’N’Aggression coaches. The ones with a short shelf life when there’s only minimal talent on the team. Just ask Mike Keenan. Seems almost inevitable ol’ Ron himself will be shown the door some time before the All-Star break, you know, when his buddy Burkie’s collar is ever-so-tightened by the Loafs’ rapidly evaporatin’ playoff prospects. The day after Wilson’s gone, watch for His Burkeness to write a fiery op-ed piece on some hockey-related issue that has absolutely nothin’ to do with the Loafs. Magicians call this misdirection. Problem for Burkie is, of course, there are a lot of really bad magicians out there. A lot.

* So IIHF head honcho, and apparently a challenger to Brian Burke’s tenure as hockey’s most laughable blowhard, Rene Fasel blew his load all over the place at the World Hockey Boondoggle in T.O. yesterday, statin’ that the NHL would put teams in Europe “over my dead body”. After several hours of deliberation, arbitrator Richard Bloch ruled that, “in accordance with the aforementioned provisions cited in the [Collective Bargaining Agreement], the league and Mr. Bettman, in particular, are wholly within their rights to, at their whim, liquidate Mr. Fasel in order to effect NHL plans for total world domination.”

* Carey Price hasn’t signed™. In other news, after bein’ convicted of tax evasion and sentenced to three years in prison, actor Wesley Snipes is fightin’ to stay out of jail by callin’ for a new trial and citin’ jury misconduct. Well, well, well, Mr. Snipes, I’ve seen yer movies and am citin’ cinematic misconduct. Off to the gaol, me matey!

* NHL commissioner Gary “Sledgehammer” Bettman has once again let it be known Quebec City will need to build a new arena if it wants an NHL team. Which brings me to this: Do it, Quebec City! Just f*****’ do it! I don’t care if you fund it by shuttin’ down schools and hospitals or even sellin’ your children into slavery! Jesus in a wetsuit, build the damned arena!!! I want the loathsome ‘Diques back and I want them back NOW!!!

58. WarHero says:

Cammy, AK, Lappy, Georges, Hammer

59. Rugger says:

Pleks, he will earn his raise

Laps, he will (mostly) shut up and play

Subban because i do not believe Markov will be back as quickly as hoped

Hammer when traded at the deadline

60. SeriousFan09 says:

1. Gionta (Due to wearing the C)

2. Gomez

3. Eller

4. Markov

5. Hamrlik

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

61. SeriousFan09 says:

Baby steps, can’t cancel the Retired Cranks Who Hate the Habs Pension Fund all at once at CBC.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

62. mike g says:

Alrighty then..

Since it’s really hard to predict a team MVP for the Habs in 2011, so let’s pick from these choices. Who will have the biggest impact on the team between:

1- Cammy, Gionta, Pleks.

2- Pouliot, AK, Gomez.

3- Eller, Lappiere, Moen.

4- Markov, Subban, Georges.

5- Gill, Hammr, Spacek.

My choices are Cammy, Gomez, Eller, Markov, and Spacek.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

63. HabFanSince72 says:

Just Healy?

64. otter649 says:

I live in The GTA & get The Habs games @ and watch them online………

65. WarHero says:

66. SegerHabs says:

What would be we do without RDS!

But yeah, I’m in NL so our distribution situations are very similar. I believe last year the breakdown was 26 leafs-25 Habs…and you are well aware how that turned out for your Saturday nights.

67. SeriousFan09 says:

CBC really wants to win viewers over they can try sacking Healy.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

68. avatar_58 says:

If that’s the case I’ll be very annoyed. Oh well though, CBC west (is that the name?) might have it and I get that channel. Not HD, but it’s english I guess.

69. habs-hampton says:

I posted the same time as you. I guess we’re both skeptics and feel that CBC will still find a way to screw us over! I don’t think I’ll be cancelling RDS anytime soon.

70. habs-hampton says:

It’s great news about the CBC’s decision to broadcast more Habs games. But, I’m wondering what it really means for me. I live in New Brunswick, and we always get the Leafs and can’t get CBC english games from Quebec. Does it mean that Montreal will get the National game 28 times and the National game will be shown in all regions?

71. SegerHabs says:

The CBC schedule has 29 Montreal games…however how many of these will be the national distribution is the question? I have never had a problem with the amount of Montreal games CBC has scheduled, it is the belief that outside of the GTA, the majority of Canada would prefer the leafs over the Habs broadcast!

There is a huge probability that 13 Montreal 7.00pm Saturday night games will be a Quebec only distribution.

A more realistic way of looking at the CBC schedule (from a national standpoint). The leafs will be shown 24 times, and the Habs 16…..unless you live in Quebec, then yes you will outnumber the leaf broadcasts 29-24.

72. pic1983 says:

– I really like the appointment of Donald Fehr to the PA.  At least if theres going to be a lock-out, its going to be entertaining.  If anyone can defeat bettman, its Donald Fehr.

– Kind of nice to see a high-end executive like Ken Holland tell everyone that the sky isnt falling, and that trading halak is just part of the business.

– On another Ken Holland note, glad to see him specifically name local kid David Perron when talking about St Louis’ young talent.  It’s nice to see David getting the respect he deserves considering that he wasnt even on NHL scouts radar as early as 4 years ago.

73. StevieRay says:

Laffs nation & Burke & Don Cheery  will want a Canadian Hockey Summit !!! What will they do ….

Just curious but if I recall Burke wasn’t going to come to TO unless his wife could get a TV job .. anyone know where she’s working … maybe Leaf TV …LOL!!

74. Propwash says:

It’s cool that the CBC is airing more Habs games than Loaf games. The downside is probably having to listen to Bob Cole’s jibberjabber.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

75. avatar_58 says:

Wow, more habs games than leafs on the CBC?? 28 games???

This makes me a happy person, given I do not have RDS HD.

76. GrimJim says:

Wow, no posts and its a half-hour in. Is it because Fehr isn’t a goaltender, more of an offensive weapon?

77. shiram says:

I guess those “news story” arent all that interesting or groundbreaking or whatever…

78. joshua94k says:

Does anyone know where I can get a DVD of the Canadiens centennial game vs Boston (Dec.4, 2009). I need the English CBC version with the complete ceremonies. I tried the CBC website but they don’t have it. Can anyone help?

79. avatar_58 says:

I would love that too

80. RetroMikey says:

Send me a personal e-mail, I have both the CBC English version as well as the RDS French version both in HD.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

81. SegerHabs says:

I find it odd that there hasn’t been an official release on dvd….and also of the team photo. It’s not like the Habs marketing to leave money to be had on the table.

82. fuhgawz says:

reading about Fehr this morning has made my day crappy — i do not see how this is going to be any good for hockey.  like many on TSN have said he destroyed the MLB between him and Gary this will be the end of the NHL

83. observer says:

The owners and the players both have one thing in common and it is their main goal – MONEY. And the lawyers like Fehr and Bettman too.

84. Storm Man says:

Gilles Duceppe is urging the PM to commit personally to helping Quebec City to build a new NHL arena….. LMAO Duceppe is a funny little man. Duceppe is gearing up for another referendum and is asking for Canadian tax dollers? What a F%#KING joke, All this after the Quebec goverment wrote a letter to the PM urging him to deny money to New Foundland and Nova Scotia for infrastructure funding for underwater transmission cable to carry electricity between the two provinces. I find it funny that Duceppe can ask for Canada’s tax dollers but does not want to be part of Canada. I hope Harper tells him to stick it where the sun does not shine.

85. WarHero says:

Amen Storm!! Amen!!

86. observer says:

One thing it will do is finally give the Habs a REAL rivalry – one they have not had since Bettman moved the Nordiques to Denver. Note- though many on this board (new Habs fans mostly) seem to be obsessed with a Leafs-Habs rivalry that they have now invented in their own minds.

87. HabFanSince72 says:

Quebecers are still paying Canadian taxes aren’t they?

88. shootdapuck says:

Fehr in hockey.

Prepare for another lockout!

It’s coming!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3”

89. b_whalen13 says:

Just reading a piece by eric engles

In it he writes “Don Meehan joined Tony Marinaro yesterday afternoon and stated that Andrei Markov will likely be ready to start the season.”

90. WarHero says:

We all hope it’s true!!

91. G-Man says:

Videotron owner Peladeau has enough money to build the New Colissee. Build it on the parking lot of the old one. Should be ready for 2012/13. Let’s go!

92. WarHero says:

And it will get rid of all the default Habs fans who are still in love with the Nords :)

93. GrimJim says:

HIO invented the 40s 50s 60s late 80s and early 90s? With our hot tub time machine?

Do you want to borrow my copy of Forever Rivals?

94. LA Loyalist says:

Habs > Nordique games were always a blast! Lots of fun for both sides. It would be great.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

95. krob1000 says:

He’s baaa-aaack…..

One day after his divorce is finalized…Tiger shoots a 65 and takes the early clubhouse lead….

96. WarHero says:

Yeah! Go Tiger! Must be nice feeling that freedom :)

97. LA Loyalist says:

he needs to earn some money now :)

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

98. SeriousFan09 says:

Plays better when he’s having a lot of sex and I imagine he celebrated the divorce.

Who cares? If anyone here could be better at their job and make way more money by having guilt-free, anonymous sex would they not?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

99. RetroMikey says:

You gotta respect Holland’s comments and the take on the Halak trade.

Holland is the best GM of the NHL no question, but if he were our GM, I seriously beliee would have traded Price and not keep a younger unproven goalie with issues.

Have to agree, the pressure is on Price and for our team to make the playoffs and yes, the Blues are going to get better and better and are playoff bound according to Holland and me!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

100. krob1000 says:

I can’t read French but I tried….I got the impression that it was saying he did trade the older experienced goalie in Vernon and went with a young unporven osgood.  If I read that wrong I apologize but to me if and yes that is a big if because I amy no be understanding….that is true then he has basically said he would has done the same with Osgood and Vernon…no? I agree witht he decision from a hockey perspective and my only concern is the way the Hab fans torment Price…that is the biggest concern in all of this to me.  I think right now they are similar calibre goalies, I think long term Price has more to offer, he iw younger and means we have more tile before he is a ufa as well, he is bigger which may or may not be a factor given the equipment changes….I would have one the same unless the offers for Price were far outweighing those for Halak….we’ll never know that much but I get teh feeling that Holland just gave his stamp of approval on this deal…not the opposite.  If Price had been traded to St. Louis…taht would have made them better too…so I don;t see what youare implying here…again unles my French which does suck is wrong…in which case…sorry.

101. likehoy says:

nowhere in the article did holland suggest he would keep halak over price. He said the salary cap meant they can’t keep two good goalies, and he once traded a playoff hero in mike vernon, much like halak 2 weeks after a cup victory. he went with the younger player in osgood.

if anything, holland is suggesting he would do what PG did.

– I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

102. Storm Man says:

Nice try mikey……….

103. saskhabfan says:

Once again retrowrongy misses the boat. To bad you can’t read and the article says the exact opposite of what you are saying. Didn’t you go apeshit on another poster last week for fabricating stories? Something about the score and the english rights to the canadiens? As for the great g.m holland,go read his draft history since 2000. Drafted one good player in franzen. Tiny mikey makes himself look like a dumbass again,LMAO badda bom badda bing.

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

104. Storm Man says:

Plus the fact he can bed all the women he wants now and not be looking over his shoulder.

105. namgel says:

He must have went out last night to celebrate and got his Long Iron game all straightened out

Bwah hahahahahah !!!

106. K-hab25 says:

That was the problem, he was doing that anyway. :-)

107. krob1000 says:

….now he can have his cell phone back,  access his inventory and Callaway!

108. WarHero says:

hahahahaha, nice!

109. namgel says:

Callaway…Ha…get it ??  Golf reference…..good job !

110. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Your French is indeed good enough to have understood that Holland DID make the same decision when he took over as GM. He says that when he came in, Mike Vernon had just won the Conn Smythe and the Cup. He decided to trade him for a couple of 2nd-round picks and go with the unproven, younger Chris Osgood.

In another article I read that talks about the Holland statements, he also goes on to say that Price is very talented, has good size and is still very young, which people tend to forget. It definitely sounds as if he thinks Gauthier made a reasonable move.

111. K-hab25 says:

That’s what I got from it aswell. Basically that he did the same thing as Gauthier, trading the older goalie and keeping the younger one. I also agree with you that there pretty equal goaltenders, Halak slightly ahead, but 2 years further along in his development, but also 2 years closer to UFA status. I also agree STL would’ve been a better team with Halak or Price, compared to Chris Mason.

112. krob1000 says:

thanks for the clarification…and no thanks for replying!…I tried to fix all of my mistakes once I got off the phone but got the dreaded “access denied” message lol.

113. LA Loyalist says:

Whether or not Halak should have been traded can and has been argued to death here on HIO and certainly we can give weight to Holland’s opinion, the guy has cred.

But there are two other components to the event:

1. Price should have been locked first.

2. What we got for Halak, and that is unknowable until Eller has what (a year?) under his belt.

So with Price unsigned and Eller an unknown, there is still plenty to brawl about :) and the jury is WAY OUT on Gauthier.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

114. K-hab25 says:

“The right move” Seems to be the general consensus, well besides some media blowhards trying to generate readers with controversy and the pissed off Halakites.

115. krob1000 says:

There is more to that though…RFA’s like Price are difficult to sign, If we had signed Price before Halak and everyone would have known and that would have weakened our position there so that whole argument cancels itself out to me anyway.  Yes Eller is unproven…but in reality…so too is Halak.  He has still never played a full season as a number 1 himself and we all saw what happened to Vesa Toskala (whose style is realtively similar to Halak) when he got the starting gig.  The game is littered with goaleis whose stars shine brightly for a while only to fade…and to be fair this could happen to Price as well but Halak is hardly a very “proven” goaile…he is young and shown that ability…as has Price, he did win two series…but Steve Penney also impressed me as a kid…the jury is out from both sides perspective but the real question of Price vs Halak is the issue.  Without a crystal ball…AND without emotional attachment to the recent success of Halak….the facts of the situation all things considered (unless the offers for Price were huge) I think the best decision at the time was made …again based on what we know.  Two goalies who are pretty well equal…then you start to evaluate other factors….PRice was the one to keep IMO…..unless our fans torment him so bad that he goes to a West Coast team to hide from the beers being thrown at him everytime he allows a goal.

116. K-hab25 says:

He said he traded Vernon, a guy coming off a cup and winning the playoff MVP, for 2 2nd round picks. We got a 1st and a 3rd for Halak. I don’t get the argument. A guy who was a #1 for 3months, a 25 year old with less than 100 starts and a 1st and a 3rd is to little. What were you expecting for our young unproven goaltender, there best player?

117. Mark C says:

Well said, Krob. The whole “sign Price then trade Halak” augment relies on Price signing before July 1st, as the market for trading Halak decreases greatly on that day (believe 4 teams added 1A/B goalies on that day this year).

Why would Price sign early? Negotiation logic would suggest that the only reason he signs early is become his initial, and likely high contract number is met. Meaning that Price signs for more than he will end up signing for now.

118. LA Loyalist says:

“two goalies who are pretty well equal…” ?!?! well they were’nt pretty well equal in 2010, were they?

Price lost his job, Halak won two playoff series against Washington and Pittsburgh.

Yeah, Price won in junior – how many years ago now?

Equal? I don’t mind a different opinion arguing that Price is young and maybe a better long term bet, that’s debatable either way, but in the year of our lord 2010 “are pretty well equal”.

I feel bad calling you guys out all the time but sheesh. Your statement as it stands is utterly unsupportable based on the facts. The purple kool-aid is still flowing strong. You can like Price better, fine, go crazy. But don’t pretend it’s objective analysis.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

119. LA Loyalist says:

We could have signed them both and traded one at the trade deadline when the picture of what we needed and what other teams needed would be a lot clearer (and also the injury picture, which is inevitable).

And Price would have had to fight for his job instead of having it handed to him.

That went well last year for Price didn’t it. Do you guys actually watch any games? I’m just asking. You wouldn’t know it by reading HIO, sometimes.

Sorry, but jeez the PriceBots are relentless.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

120. Mark C says:

That was a possibility, but again there are downsides to that strategy as well. Will there be issues with getting both to signed, knowing they are entering the same situation as last year? How will the battle play out in camp, during the season, and will it become a distraction, e.g. will one player ask/demand a trade? Also, #1 goalies are rarely traded at the deadline, the last was Huet. Waiting until the deadline might mean the market is zero teams, or at the most one or two. Also, there is the chance that cap issues make a trade more difficult. This situation might have worked, however it is undeniably risky.

As a side note, I believe there was no perfect solution to this issue. There are many pros and cons to every solution in this situation.

121. krob1000 says:

it has been shown on here and other sites repeatedly that their career numbers and even last years numbers were not far off each other and considering them pretty well equal is absolutely objective as I really did not have a preference…whichever one was hot was fine with me.  Last year…taht was Halak….noone is denying that…but Halak is every bit as unproven and statistically they are comparable…aside fromt he win/loss number.  One can argue that number to death as well…some will say it is all that matters…others will look at teams play in front, goal support,team quality, injuries,etc…..bottom line is that statistically to this point in their careers their numbers are nearly identical in most categories of significance. You can either accept it or not but I try mey damndest to be as objective as possible …and I truly did not care which goalie was traded, which goalie played,etc….I still don’t…there will be times in the future where Kari Ramo is the go to guy and I actually still believe he is another kid with starting goalie potential down the road so this whole controversy may rear its ugly head again….and like this last time…I really will not care…..whoever is playing better…plays even if it is Alex Auld.  By the way…last season is over…..Halak is not still playing any better than Price…..they are once again equal …and the decision was made after the season…when they were equal again….when they were not…Halak played deservedly…that simple dude.

122. LA Loyalist says:

thank you for a reasoned and considered post.

my personal decision would ultimately be to have 2 reliable goalies, due to injury, length of season and that they mostly tend to be streaky.

everything else about Price aside, even if he plays great (and he may) we have Auld as backup. Sheesh.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

123. Mark C says:

I agree, it would have been nice to keep both, at least for one more season. However, given all the factors at hand, keeping both was likely not a realistic possibility. At some point, if both goalies were playing well, their performance would be returning an underutilization. It is time one of them gains the bulk of starts.

124. krob1000 says:

We just bought an insurance policy in KAri Ramo as well remember.  They are going to give Price this year to establish himself…..if by chance that does not work out…we have a similarly high touted porspect (yes he still he is one at 23 and not having played in the NHl last year) in Ramo.  Auld is here for that one year window and really in the grand scheme of things Ramo is PRice’s longer term rival…but the great thing is he is overseas… there liekly won;t be a hgue controversy…Desjardins who many believed was some htoshot prospect but is actually 2 years older than Ramo and not as good would have been controversial.  They handled things as well as they could have IMO …. you are right..there was no perfe t solution…and they had to go with what seemed like the ‘most right” answer…I believe they did that.

125. pic1983 says:

Total fabrication.  Mikey’s french could use a little fine tuning it seems.

126. Storm Man says:

Us Quebecers as you put it pay Canadian taxes. My post was about Duceppe running to Harper looking for a handout. The Quebec govrement should use Quebec tax dollers for the new arena and not look at Canadian tax money, Im not 100 percent but I dont think any Canadian team has used the countrys tax dollers for a new arena.