Friendly faceoff at EA Sports NHL 14 launch

PK and Parros

(Photo: Dario Ayala, The Gazette)

Dozens of gamers showed up at a Montreal night club Monday evening for the launch of EA Sports NHL 14 and a chance to meet P.K. Subban and George Parros.

Subban and Parros sampled the new video game, the latest installment in the popular franchise, battling head to head in a Habs vs. Habs contest. Subban had the upper hand, beating Parros 2-1.

“I’d like not to talk about that,” Parros cracked.

The 6-foot-5 forward acquired by the Canadiens this summer from the Florida Panthers said he’s enjoying Montreal and has received a really warm welcome. Not surprisingly, he isn’t flying under the radar in hockey-mad Montreal.

“Lots of pictures in grocery stores and stuff,” Parros said.

Subban, who trains in the off-season with Clance Laylor in Toronto, said he’s going into the Canadiens’ training camp the same weight as last year, although probably leaner.

“I’m always in between 218, 220 (pounds),” he said.

Subban’s training regime included several twice-a-day workouts and a 21-day no-carb diet.

“I usually train Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday twice, and then once Thursday, once Friday and I skate Sunday nights and that’s it. So it’s usually about 10 times a week,” Subban said.

“I’ve worked hard this summer. I feel good. That’s the most important thing. As long as I feel good and I feel comfortable and confident, then everything else should take care of itself,” he said.

The Canadiens’ training camp kicks off with physical tests and medicals on Wednesday. The first on-ice sessions will be Thursday with a Group A practice from 10-10:45 a.m., followed at 11 a.m. with a game between Group A and Group B. Group B will then practise from 12:15 until 12:50 p.m. The same schedule is set for Friday, but with Group B practising at 10 a.m. and Group A at 12:15.

On Saturday, the Canadiens will play an informal Red vs. White scrimmage at the Bell Centre, starting at 1 p.m. Tickets cost $5 (taxes included) and are available at canadiens.com and evenko.ca, or through the Bell Centre’s ticket office. Each ticketholder will receive a free hot dog, a bag of chips and a soft drink. Proceeds from the game will be donated to the Fonds Avenir Lac-Mégantic.

The Canadiens will play their first exhibition games at the Bell Centre Sunday night against Buffalo and Monday against Boston. You can see the preseason schedule by clicking here.

Subban lean and mean heading into camp, by Brenda Branswell

Train Like a Pro videos, Canadiens.com

Habs invite Crisp to main training camp, by Pat Hickey

NHL training camps set to begin, montrealgazette.com

NHL 14′s Top 10 Players, NHLPA.com

1. Hobie Hansen says:

Jessica Rusnak ‏@JessRusnak 8m

Brian Gionta and George Parros will take part in practice tomorrow but will not play in the scrimmage at 11 .

2. Sportfan says:

PK is built like a football player

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

3. Psycho29 says:

Hurricane Joni Pitkanen to Miss entire 2013-14 Season

4. SSFN says:

Nothing against DD but it would open up a spot for Gally and Eller at center if DD was traded …

• Hstands4Hockey says:

I don’t hate DD I think he’s a solid young player with a reasonable cap hit given his production, but the reality is he doesn’t fit into this team with Pleks, Eller and Chucky Montreal’s top 3 C for the foreseeable future (and need for size). Not to mention Briere’s flexibility.

That being said, there’s virtually 0 market for him right now, whereas I could see getting as much as a 2nd rounder for him at the trade deadline if he puts up a 50-60 point pace this year. A playoff team will lose a Centre at some point this year and will want a relatively cheap replacement.

I think Vancouver could be a possible destination as they need some cap friendly players, have enough size and need a scoring 3rd line line center until Horvat is ready (Likely a few years). I could see Jannik Hansen (2014 UFA) coming back the other way or simply a pick.

All speculation of course.

——————————————————————–
      Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
      @Hstands4Hockey

• B says:

It may still be too early for Galchenyuk to be an NHL center and Eller already has a spot as one.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Mustang says:

I used to go to Toronto on business about 20 times each year and I always stayed in the same hotel. I wore my Canadiens jersey several times when I knew there would be a Habs game on TV. The only guys to ever give me a hard time (all in good fun) were a couple of Red Wing fans staying at the same hotel. No Leaf fans ever had the guts to call me out for wearing my Habs jersey in Toronto.

5. Stevie.Ray says:

If Gio isn’t ready to go at start of season, what about Tarnasky or Blunden on 4th and move Prust into Gio’s spot.

Or give Collberg a 9 game trial, and then send him back to Sweden.

Or give the spot to Leblanc or Holland.

6. Hobie Hansen says:

Canadiens Montréal ‏@CanadiensMTL 17m

We can skate, we have skills, we added some toughness. This team can do everything. – Tomas Plekanec

7. Bripro says:

For all the pie-in-the-sky fantasy trade scenarios, here’s proof why most here don’t have the pedigree to be general managers (I include myself in that category, so chill ….. )

Vanek – LW $7.2MM cap hit – 20G, 21A, 40GP, -1
    Desharnais – C $3.5MM cap hit – 10G, 18A, 48GP, -2
    Gionta – RW $5MM cap hit – 14G, 12A, 48 GP, +3
    Diaz – $1.225 MM cap hit – 1G, 13S, 23GP, +4

So for those wanting to trade Vanek for:
    1. DD and Gionta – their combined cap hit is higher, but the Sabres’ Regier indicated they’d absorb some of his salary (cap hit also, I would imagine). As GM, I don’t expect him to absorb that much money for very little increased output.
    2. DD and Diaz – The cap hit is more appreciable for the Sabres, but still not much of an incentive.

Besides, I think DD suffered a sophomore slump and will bounce back this year. Perhaps not as a first or second line centre, but he’s got good vision and great hands.

The only scenario I see attractive for the Sabres is if Pleks is in the mix, and I hope that doesn’t happen.

• habs11s says:

I figure the trade would cost a significant prospect, as Buffalo is rebuilding and not looking for a Cup run this seasons

_____________________________________________________________

8. JF says:

A great interview (in French) with Marc Bergevin:

ww.rds.ca/hockey/canadiens/j-ai-carte-blanche-1.658763

9. SSFN says:

we’ll have to wait and see how the Habs do their 1st game against the leafs. Should they have a bad one. The Thunder will Roar …

10. The Teacher says:

Subban won the Norris Trophy right?

Seems surreal.

11. habs11s says:

Timo, I found you a solution to the DD issue

_____________________________________________________________

12. Phil C says:

Alex Pietrangelo playing hardball. Not so sure this is a good move. The Blues already have a good defense, and this is an Olympic year, so missing time will hurt his chances of making the team. I don’t see how sitting out will give him much leverage if the team has success.

13. Bripro says:

This from Brian Wilde:

Just looking at PK Subban and he is so ripped it is sick.

It is my lead visual for the Habs story. You have to see this physical specimen.

14. Mark C says:

In full disclosure I’ve always been a big fan of Kristo and was disappointed to see him traded. That said, the level of under-rating Christian Thomas as a prospect is reaching the criminal level. In researching Thomas, I have yet to find any evidence that suggest the $1 Kristo was sold for the $0.75 Thomas.

Checked last years McKeen’s for prospect rankings, both were 2 and 1/2 out of five stars. Kristo dominated college, like he should have given his age. But Thomas had an impressive 0.26 goal per game rate as a 20 year old rookie in the AHL. For perspective, one of the NHLs rookie of the year runner ups had a 0.277 rate as a 20 rookie in the AHL before making his NHL team. Obviously there is a size difference, but if Thomas is too small to make the Habs then I can’t see how Kristo can.

All in all, these seem like pretty comparable players.

15. Bill says:

@Luke: fans of pro sports teams seldom have patience, and this true tenfold of Habs fans. The evidence from this site alone shows that the average fan has the attention span of a brain-damaged cat, the memory of adroit fly, and the patience of a spoiled two-year old child.

I can remember when people here were calling Pacioretty a bust during his first stint in Hamilton. People here also called McCarron a bust a week after he was drafted, for a more recent and humorous example.

When you see other teams taking their time and bringing players along slowly, it’s clear that that is a much better alternative than deciding that at 20-22 a player will never cut it, and trading him for spare change.

I also believe a lengthy seasoning in the minors is ideal for all but superstar talents, which is why I’d like to see Beaulieu and Tinordi do at least one more year in the AHL.

16. habsfan0 says:

The dawning of a new season brings with it it hope and aspirations usually viewed through rose coloured glasses by a team’s fans.

As a Habs fan, I’m an eternal optimist.
    As a Buffalo Bills fan, I’m an eternal pessimist.

It makes for a healthy balance.

• SSFN says:

Not hard to win stanley cups when you have all the right pieces. MB is working on it not sure when we’ll have the pieces to win a cup. Keep bringing in the best don’t give any away and it will happen.

• knob says:

What a heartbreaker last Sunday was against the Pats! Hopefully the Bills can start turning the corner. EJ looks pretty good. Spiller had a poor game and will hopefully come back strong against the Panthers.

17. Sportfan says:

THis is what TSN said “The Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks have rewarded general manager Stan Bowman with a two-year contract extension through the 2017-18 season. He is entering his 13th season with the Blackhawks and has been the architect of two Stanley Cup championship teams since taking over as the club’s ninth GM on July 14, 2009. ”

Now don’t get me wrong Stan has done a great job, but the first cup you can thank Tallon for that one right?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Ali says:

Agreed, and I think even they knew that, which is why they got him a cup ring for that year even though (I believe) he had already joined the Panthers.

• Cardiac says:

Tallon would still be GM if it wasn’t for that free agent debacle in 09.

- Jerry Maguire

SUMMIT GREY SECTION GAME TICKETS MISSING IN THE MAIL!

Two tickets did not arrive in the mail. I do not know the seat numbers that are missing. This only applies to a pair of GREY seats.
    Would everyone please give me your GREY seat and grey section numbers only, so I can determine which two seats I have to cancel at the Belle Center and reissue. ONLY GREY SECTION # and SEAT NUMBERS PLEASE. ASAP
    E-mail me

19. Maksimir says:

Louis LeBlanc – the forgotten one…. wonder if he is going to make it this year or just flame out? I have a feeling this will be his last kick at making the team this season.

• shiram says:

It is the last year on his contract.
      He’s bound to be fully healed from his injury now.
      I think people might have had too high expectations on this kid.
      He never tore it up in any of the lower leagues.

• Eddie says:

Leblanc was rookie of the year in his year in the USHL and then followed that up as rookie of the year when he played at Harvard.
        I think he showed in the Q that he deserved to be a 1st round pick and I also think he showed he could play, and play well, at the NHL level when he was called up.

He has suffered 2 terrible injuries in back to back seasons and he deserves a shot to rebound.

• knob says:

Leblanc is a 3rd line centre at best, not that being a 3rd liner is a bad thing. I would have no problem with him picking up Plekanec’s defensive duties and having Eller and Galchenyuk as a 1-2 combo.

• Eddie says:

if they don’t move him back to center he might fall to 4th line winger. like Eller, I’m quite sure Leblanc is most comfortable and most effective at center, but I’m not sure the Habs agree.

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree Shiram. I think LL went higher in the draft than he should have mainly due to his heritage. I like LL and the way he plays on the boards but I do think he is a third liner. He shouldn’t have been drafted so high

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• habs-fan-84 says:

I’ve never understood the negativity towards LL. I actually thought he looked really good 2 seasons ago playing with Eller. Had it not been for the lockout he probably would have been with the team right from the get go last year.

Unfortunately, he suffered a high ankle sprain in December (I believe) and took awhile to get back to game form. However, I believe he’s now fully recovered. I’m not sure why so many people have written him off already but I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised to see him with the big club again this season (at least to some extent).

• Luke says:

I’m going to preach patience with LeBlanc. He was drafted in ’09.

Looking at the first rounders in ’09 not many have been impactful.
      Kadri, for example was a top 10 and finally had his first season as an impactful player.

Rangers fans love Kreider. He was selected one spot after LeBlanc & has played only 23 games.

Kristo, who seems to be getting some ‘untapped potential young star’ was drafted the year before LeBlanc and has yet to see NHL ice. He’s also a year older than LeBlanc.

The Wunderkind of this year’s playoffs was Mr. Bickell: Drafted in ’04. Is 27yrs old and played his first full season in ’10-11. At the same age as LL, Bickell had played 3 NHL games and would then play 4 in the next season, and 16 in the season that followed.

Let’s be patient and see what he can do over the next few years.

Wouldn’t it be nice to say “I’m glad we were patient” for once instead of “I can’t believe we gave up on him so early”?

• Sportfan says:

I wouldn’t say its his last kick of the Can, but I’m not sure if he’ll make it right away to the team.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Stevie.Ray says:

It’s an important year for Louis. There isn’t much room on the Habs roster so it will be tough to crack this year, and there is a stockpile of good prospects coming up that Louis has to stay ahead of.

In fact, I think this team is going to go through a major overhaul over the next two seasons. With Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Pacioretty, and Eller being the most likely players to stick with the team, that only leaves two spots in the top 6 for free agents, trades, prospects, or Bourque, Gionta, Desharnais, Briere, and most importantly Plekanec. It’s going to be interesting to see who rises to the top.

• Luke says:

I could see Pleks becoming the defensive centre and LeBlanc as his winger.
        Perhaps jumping up to a more offensive line as the defensive conscious of it.

Like I said above. I think we need to be patient. He certainly seems to be capable of playing at the pro level, it’s just a matter of him finding a role.

• Solid article on LL by JT at Habsloyalist. Great blog too, if you’re looking for another Habs fix.

“Until we get an apology we’re not going to win a game. We vow not to win until we get an apology from Bettman.” -Sabre Dixon Ward

• Phil C says:

It wouldn’t kill Leblanc to go light it up in the AHL for a year. Hopefully he can crack the top two lines in Hamilton. If he can’t, then he might not be as good as we think.

20. ooder says:

very excited for some hockey! I want to see someone get laid out! preferably on the sabres, but beggars can’t be choosers

• Maksimir says:

I’d like to see some punishment thrown at the Sens, Bruins and of course Leafs… but first beat them on the scoreboard.

• Luke says:

It’d be nice to be in charge once the score gets out of hand! Let’s be winning 6-0 and THEN beat the poop out of people.
        I’ve seen a few too many where the score and beatings are going the wrong way!

21. Sportfan says:

Timo, Roy and Tremblay still haven’t spoken maybe we should have a counter going :P

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!