Friday roundup

* RDS says Jacques Martin says the team will have a captain this season. Discuss candidates.

* RDS also reports Julien Brisebois is outta here … which throws the Hamilton situation into a bit of disarray.

Arpon Basu compares the Plekanec and Koivu contracts

Louis Leblanc likely headed back to Harvard. Shout-out to Mark C for finding this Boston Globe piece on Harvard hockey.

• Carolina will retire Rod Brind’Amour’s number

All UFA team: The Best of what’s left (No Moore or Metro)

Donald Fehr not hired yet

• Nothing to fear but Fehr himself

* Elliotte Friedman’s pre-holiday column

Re the Koivu contract, nsjohn130 posted this to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune web site:

I am statistically and logically looking at his worth. His points can only go up if he can get a first line player or two with him, he is a leader on a seemingly leaderless team at the moment (a leader must be born), he works harder than any player on the ice besides clutterbuck and brodziak (if only brodziaks skills were on par with his work effort) which creates a dynamic on the team to which other players will work hard, he is likable– i dont care so much about PR as I do staff and locker room relations, and lastly and honestly as important as the numbers he puts up is his loyalty. After all this is a business. Above all attributes, loyalty is the most important. At the end of the day everything is done for the organization first, not Mikko. Mikko gives direction to the team. It gives them identity, and if you don’t think that ALL of these things are worth 7 mill for a 27 year old player, I dont know what is.

1. mrhabby says:

steve..eveyone knocks gomez but he is tremendously valuable. he does not score alot..never has. he is a playmaker and i really like his defensive game always back checks, takes the body plays well without the puck no one talks about that. i know his salary is crazy but it is what it is..i think he should be given more credit.

2. mike g says:

Well, this is my understanding of the Koivu contract….

NHL lockout part 2, here we come.

Simply put, the NHL is proving once again that they can never get anything right. They took a year off and lost a ton of fans, lost ESPN, etc….all because we were told that the NHL wanted to be a healthy league. We were told it was “my NHL”, and that the salary cap would solve the past problem of GM’s shooting rediculous contracts at undeserving players.

Well mon ami, were 5 years past the lockout and here we are again with rediculous contracts. I’m not saying Koivu is undeserving of a 7 year deal, or that he’s a bad hockey player; he’s actually a very good one. He’s understood the concept of being an excellent 2-way player, and registers a solid point total every year. He’s also entering his prime this year.

But where in the post-lockout era did it say that 70-80 point players would be getting paid 7 mill per year? Where did it say that guys like Kovalchuk can stall the whole UFA market because they’re asking to play in a team that can’t fit him on the cap (LA) due to his 10 mill per year demand? And didn’t Bettman and the NHLPA take a year off and set this sport back down the popularity line because NHL contracts were becoming rediculous?

Well, none of it has been solved. When guys like Komisarek and Volchenkov are making 4.5 mill per year, there is a serious problem in the NHL. They’re strictly shot blockers and physical defenseman, and have absolutely zero offensive value. They’re 10-20 point defenseman, nothing close to being worth 4.5 mill. And to add even more to my argument, teams can’t even pee in a pot these days. They all have no cap space, are stuck with rediculous deals like Campbell and Huet, yet they still go out and sign a player the following year to a 12 year contract!

Maybe it’s me that doesn’t get something here. Maybe Mikko Koivu is a 7 million dollar player. But doesn’t that make Kovalchuk a 12 million dollar player now? All I know is this league is in the fastlane, going backwards, all the way back to the same destination they were in 2004-05. In my eyes, another lockout is coming very, very soon.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

Dude, if 4 of them make it I’d be ecstatic!!!

It would be nice to see 2 of the 3 make it. I would gather Ellis is the longest long shot there.

5. WarHero says:

Nice! Would love to see all of em make it!

————————————————————————

6. joeybarrie says:

While I agree that Gomez has an immediate upside for me, which is the playoff experience. I also agree he is one of the best playmakers out there. I think I would prefer Mikko to Gomez. Younger, bigger and he is a KOIVU… Is his contract worth his production? NO. But you will have to overpay to keep him in Minnesota. Just like you have to overpay a bit to get UFA’s into the mess of Montreal.

Also, to me it is the exact same as the Gomez Contract. Signed while he was the same age with less points (Gomez was considerably higher). Also Gomez had playoff and Stanley Cup experience… The more i look at it, the more I like Gomez’ contract, when he signed it.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

7. aemarchand11 says:

Promising News.

Tinordi, Avstin, Nattinen, Simela, Gallagher LeBlanc and Ellis.

If they all make it, which I expect at least 5 of them to it will be an exciting tournament full of habs hopefulls.

Go Habs Go! 2010-2011

8. TomNickle says:

Yeah, another reason I’m high on Kristo is because of the way he plays against top flight competition.

Played great in both games against Canada last winter and his speed is underrated even though people say he’s fast.

He was blowing our defensemen away.  Lightning fast with a scoring touch and soft hands.  Great combination when you consider he isn’t afraid to get his nose dirty in the corners.

I am really high on him, Subban high.

9. Storm Man says:

Leblanc staying at Harvard is about knowing the kind of doors that will be open to him after he playing days are done. A Harvard degree is something very special and only a few can say they have one. I for one applaud this kid and doing what is right for him. In football news Chargers camp opens in 9 days :) :) :).

10. TomNickle says:

Why wouldn’t I include his last season in New Jersey?  He did play it, he did score those points, they are real, they aren’t fake.

Will he score 30 goals again in his career?  Not likely.  Is he likely to score somewhere between 15 and 20?  Yeah.  Is he likely to score 50 assists? Yeah.

Why would I ignore a year in his career especially considering it was the last season he played with his current linemate?

I suppose it’s easy to be pessimistic when you want to throw out all of the positives.

I did include his 58 and 59 points seasons(lowest totals since 02-03) did I not?

What model do you suppose the Habs follow? Chicago’s, Pittsburgh’s and Washington’s?

I see the Habs model as follows:

1) build for the future.

2) at the same time put a competitive enough team on the ice that can make the playoffs.

Trying to put all the eggs in the one basket that is trying to win the Cup every season has only left the Habs with a basket of broken eggs. If the Habs are following the Detroit/New Jersey model I will pleased as punch.

All those people who are tired of waiting 17 years will just have to wait a little longer. I don’t really care that this bunch (G-Man comes to mind as the most vocal of the impatient) whines about it. My perception is that the Habs want to build a strong team going into the future and that means not blowing it all on today.

12. Natrous says:

Top 4? That’s a stretch.. PK’s gonna take a spot ahead of him, plus Markov, Spacek, Hamrlik.. that puts him and Gill on the 3rd line of many teams, including ours.

13. Chuck says:

I heard that he got it from Kyle Wellwood.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

14. avatar_58 says:

Forgive me then, for my cache must not be updating and you no longer use Halak as a pic

15. TomNickle says:

Habs have three prospects on the invitation camp for the WJHC.

Morgan Ellis

Brendan Gallagher

Louis Leblanc

16. Kingofswing74 says:

a guy like gorgeous gorges IS irreplacable. his defensive savvy is of the best caliber in the league. his team spirit and ruggedness is inspirational. he is an old school raw hockey player. i wouldnt trade him at all. if 3m is his asking price…WHICH IT WONT BE (him and his agent are fully aware of his offensive capabilities) i would give it to him in a heartbeat. along with the C.

17. derfab says:

Glad you got the Jersey year in. Only time he’s scored 20 goals since Pee Wee. Someone (take your pick) on the depth chart, maybe Eller, will look good by 2012 at 6.5 big ones less.

Though it’s fantasy, I think Pacs should be moved to center, very smooth.

character is derfab destiny.

18. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

Did you steal it from Guillaume?

19. SLONCOLD says:

okay mass is one thing. functional muscle strength is a completely different story. putting that much mass in a short period of time can have bad bad effects on bones and tendons/ligaments that are not accustomed to the tentions being placed on their due to the new muscle development. i’ve goen through the bulk up thing and it’s much better to put that much mass over a longer period of time.

20. Mark C says:

It’s part of the CBA, it’s like the junior rule, where if a player is returned to junior after playing more than 10 NHL games, he becomes one year closer to being a UFA.

21. avatar_58 says:

Why because you don’t like him? Fact of the matter is Gomez gives us points, sets up amazing goals and can dangle with the best of them. I’ll take Gomez over Mikku thanks. I don’t like his contract either but the point stands – with all these giant contracts being given out suddenly Gomez isn’t so bad.

22. punkster says:

“Once Price signs…” Big assumption there.

I shot a 63 once.

No wait. You mean for 18?

FREE TIMO!

23. TomNickle says:

At his age, his hormone levels are such that his mass increases naturally and with the proper diet and exercise routine he could easily add 20 pounds of mass in that time period.

24. punkster says:

I have a recipe for chocolate cheese cake that can do this in a couple of weeks ;)

FREE TIMO!

25. punkster says:

I’m gald you respect his decision. So do I.

FREE TIMO!

26. SLONCOLD says:

lol adding 20 lbs of mass/muscle in 3-4 months. what are you injecting into him.

i think harvard will be better for him in terms of overall development.  he has a good coach their and there is something to be said about getting a good eductaion, it helps with maturity and just overall intelligence.

27. twocents says:

Thanks for posting The Avtsin numbers. I was wondering that myself.

I
    have never heard of this “slider” setup. Where’d you hear about it?

28. Mark C says:

Ok, that is what I thought, just wanted to make sure. We’re coming from the same place here; just my expectations have yet to follow the same fate as yours.

My hope for Leblanc, if he goes to school, is that he makes the U-20, and the leaves school shortly after the Harvard season ends. Going this route would get him into 10 or so AHL games plus the playoffs. This way he would get in 50+ games, with about 20 of them at the AHL or WJC levels.

JV – I’ll take Koivu over Gomez and give him the difference in salary which I believe is about half a mil.

We can never justify Gomez’s salary but I have come to accept that he is here and is a significant part of a possible Cup run in 2013.  I think that is a very realistic long term goal when you look at what is presently in place.  However, all bets are off if G&G can’t (or won’t) re-sign Markov.  If that happens, then we’re back to the drawing board.

30. TomNickle says:

Considering he could’ve shot a 60 it’s pretty amazing.

31. TomNickle says:

Well he hasn’t scored less than 58 points since 2002-2003.

And is average over the last 5 years is 66 points.  So yeah, 60 point minimum in my opinion.

Younger more attractive options, like?

It would appear that Minnesota overpaid on the the Koivu contract, but  they tend to overpay most of their players.  Koivu is a cut above the rest of the Wild and who knows what he might do if he ever gets to play with some decent wingers.  In the end, Minnesota is much better off giving the money to Koivu instead of Gaborik.

I think it’s a wise move by Lebanc to attend Harvard.  It’s an opportunity of a lifetime in a lifetime of chance.  How many people ever have a door open like that in their lives?  The level of hockey competition isn’t the same but Leblanc has time on his side.  In a perfect world, he will be able to take over Gomez’s job  on one of the top two lines once Gomez’s contract runs out.  This kid could be our most cerebral player since Ken Dryden.

Once Price signs, H I/O can become a golf site for the rest of the summer.  I think that G&G’s work is basically done.

Imagine being a 21 year old Irishman (boy?) and shooting 63 in the British Open.  First Tom Watson and now this.  What a great sport.

33. derfab says:

You mean 60 point maximum. I really like Gomez because of the things you mention and his grit. But, like another center we had at half the cost, he lacks the shot and physical strength to be a dominant, first line center.

If someone shows up to play left wing on his line, he`ll be forgiven a little longer, but Pleks will take up more space this year and other, youthful possibilities will become more attractive very soon.

character is derfab destiny.

34. TomNickle says:

I’m speaking in terms of what I feel is best as it relates to his development as a hockey player and how it improves or sets the team back.  If he isn’t a Habs draft pick, I could care less about him to be honest.

Education certainly is important and it is most certainly his decision.  From what I understand, money for post-secondary education isn’t an issue, and neither is pursuing that post-secondary education either during his hockey career or afterward.

I respect his decision either way.  I don’t however see it as a step forward in his development as a hockey player.

Adding 20 pounds in mass to his frame isn’t something that takes a full year of college to do.  It can be done in a 3 to 4 month period.  So the idea that he needs another full year of college to do that is completely bogus.

35. BJ says:

Our passion is for him to graduate to the Canadiens and not watch him graduate from Harvard. With the kind of $$$$$$$$ these guys make they can afford to go back after their career without a problem. “I was once asked if my children would go to university and I said only if they don’t have enough talent”.

36. Mark C says:

It’s also worth noting that Harvard is one of these lifelong universities’, I believe that once you gain admittance into Harvard, you have a lifelong acceptance and standing there. Meaning that if Leblanc leaves without a degree, he can return whenever to finish without getting accepted again. In theory, this should make any decision to leave easier.

37. punkster says:

Couldn’t care less either way. You’re missing the point. It’s not about me or you or the team it’s about him. His life, his future, his decision.

Let me ask you this: Is your respect for Leblanc or the Habs conditional on him leaving school now to play in the Q or Hamilton?

FREE TIMO!

38. JIMVINNY says:

Everyone’s comparing Pleks and M. Koivu, but has anyone considered how this makes Gomez’ contract look?  Not so terrible all of a sudden.

39. avatar_58 says:

I’m 200% positive. Bookmark my post because Gomez will never be traded.

40. TomNickle says:

Gorges played the second most minutes among our defensemen this season.

41. derfab says:

Didn`t the Habs, at one time, avoid sending their best prospects to the AHL to protect them from the goons and hacks down there? Is it possible we`ve lost a few great ones in this “development” league?

character is derfab destiny.

42. TomNickle says:

I would be ecstatic if Leblanc was at North Dakota.  Better coaching, more practice time, better teammates, better competition due to their team playing deep into the season every year and playing meaningful games.

Harvard has to wait longer to start practicing, have low level talent on their roster, have less money committed to their hockey program than almost every other D1 program and don’t play meaningful games late in the season.

Your suspicion is correct if you thought that I was happy with Kristo at North Dakota.  Kristo is in an environment where hockey comes first, Leblanc isn’t.

And if Leblanc’s sincere primary goal is to become an elite NHL hockey player, he’s in the wrong place.

After reading of the likelihood of him returning to Harvard this season, my expectations for him have plummeted.  I no longer expect a productive NHL player.  Anything he contributes at the NHL level is a bonus for me now.

43. TomNickle says:

But it’s worth noting that Donato made the jump from Harvard right to the NHL.

Leblanc won’t be able to do that.  Donato lit up NCAA hockey and then became a defensive forward almost the second he stepped foot into the Bruins dressing room.

I put much more stock in a player gaining the experience of playing against men with professional coaches than I do a player playing in college and being taught by a man who has the best interests of the college at heart and not necessarily the players that they coach.

44. likehoy says:

no offense to gorges, but he’s not worth 3 million…he doesn’t play top 4 minutes and he doesn’t contribute offensively enough. max offer to gorges would be 2.2m…any more and i would rather just find another player. he’s not irreplaceable.

45. TomNickle says:

And if he weren’t a Canadiens draft pick how much would you care about his education?

And how are you going to feel about this decision if he gets cut from the WJ camp and scores 15 points in 30 some games on a losing team in NCAA hockey?

46. Mark C says:

Pretty much agree with everything here. I would bet dollars to donuts that Leblanc plays in the A next year. Really, the only hockey related reason I’m fine with him heading back to Harvard, is that it affords him a better opportunity to better add size and muscle mass. Body build could hold him back just as much as a lost opportunity of gaining extra playing time, by playing in the Q. As far as becoming a “pro” Harvard’s head coach is Teddy Donato, this should help prepare him for the next step.

47. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

Never say never, Turner is an offensive genious, and he’s done way more than Marty ever did in the playoffs. It would have been nice for the most accurate kicker in the NFL to atleast make 2 of the missed FG’s and it would have been a different game. Don’t forget this is a team that beat the mighty Colts with they’re back-up QB(Volek), RB(Sproles) and no Gates. You are right about LT, his time was done 2 years ago.

48. TomNickle says:

The Habs will want Gomez gone within 2 years?

Yeah, why would they want a minimum 60 point guy who brings elite speed, passing, puck handling and defensive play to the team?

I would have no problem saying that he’ll be here until his contract expires.

49. derfab says:

SAKU!

character is derfab destiny.

50. punkster says:

We’re happy for him. What’s wrong with that? He is keeping his options open because pro sports is a crap shoot and a Harvard degree is a lifetime of opportunity. Some of us look to the future rather than seeking immediate gratification. We’re funny that way.

FREE TIMO!

51. avatar_58 says:

Yeah we should give it to Kovalev instead, always best to idolize players on other teams over our own!

52. derfab says:

I don`t see Gomez lasting here that long. He will want out eventually and the Habs will want it sooner. 2yrs. tops.

character is derfab destiny.

53. TomNickle says:

I don’t understand the joy that people seem to have about Leblanc heading back to Harvard for another season.

He gets more practice time and he gets a schedule that allows him to focus more on conditioning, and those things are great.  But education seems to be very important to him and the longer he stays at Harvard, the longer his development as a professional player is on hold.  I realize that we have Gomez, Pleks and Eller.  And we have Gomez and Pleks for another four seasons, so there may not be a rush from the organization.  But if a player isn’t challenged to improve their game, they regress more often than not.

Now, if the plan is to begin player development in a way that is comparable to Detroit’s, I have one issue.  We are not the Red Wings.  All due respect to our management group but the Red Wings are at the top of the class and being of the opinion that you can follow their model and achieve similar results is fool hearted.

Avtsin on the other hand is coming over at the age of 19 and gets a head start at becoming a true professional.

One more note on Leblanc.  If he were to play with the Bulldogs, he wouldn’t be expected to contribute a great deal offensively.  I suppose you could argue that he wouldn’t see the minutes that he will at Harvard and might not be afforded the Powerplay time either.  However, learning how to be a professional is something that comes with experience, it can’t be taught.  I don’t anticipate him walking out of Harvard and stepping into the NHL.  He will need a full season at least of AHL hockey to acclimate himself to the grind of a season that comes close to 80 games.  The sooner he does that, the better, in my opinion.

54. Mark C says:

Is your issue more with college hockey in general or just weak programs in weak leagues? For example, if Leblanc went to ND and was centering Kristo on a powerhouse team in a great league, would you be OK with that for one more year?

55. Bugs says:

Not if our top two centres can only manage 15…

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Brotha to the Man with the Plan, Product-runnin Lead Houndogg with the Voodoo Flannel Posse, and Pimp Extraordinaire of Habsbros Mama Jones Snow Cones, muthafugga: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

56. HabsFanInTampa says:

Sorry Dan Di Scuillo, but St. Petersburg doesn’t have an NHL hockey team.

57. Ricky says:

Andrei Markov becomes a Canadian today!! :)

58. Natrous says:

Not at all – Gorges HAS to bust ace on every shift, because he doesn’t have the natural talent which would allow him to coast. If he didn’t, he wouldn’t be in the league.

It’s awesome to have that determination and will power to maintain a roster position in the NHL, but is that really enough to be CAPTAIN of the Montreal freakin’ Canadiens?? Not in my books.

59. TomNickle says:

But with 79 draft picks they’ve turned no more than 10 of them(to my knowledge) into NHL regulars and have produced zero first line forwards, top 2 defensemen or starting goaltenders.

I could make a better argument for Brendan Gallagher’s pedigree at this point than Leblanc’s.

Just saying, having elite talent is all the more reason to play against elite competition and quite often results in a lack of improvement when that elite talent is honed against sub-par competition.

60. Natrous says:

Absolutely agree on all points – I have definitely yelled at Markov through the tv over the past two seasons no doubt. I’m not saying that Markov is a harder worker than Gorges, but he simply gets twice as much done. It reminds me of comparing an old car to a new one in that I love the look of the old muscle car and it can sure tear the crap outta the tires, but the new car gets me from A to B on 1/2 as much gas and I know it’s not gonna break down on me half way.

Not a great analogy, but you get the point. Markov’s contributions to the team can’t be overlooked and he’s the man JM puts on the ice when the situation requires it, but Gorges brings the heart and tries his best, despite the fact that Montreal’s record wouldn’t deviate much if he wasn’t in the lineup.

61. joeybarrie says:

So the reason you would give the Captaincy to a player is because he has LESS experience, makes LESS money and is YOUNGER??? This makes no sense.

Plus WHY would we not give it to Gionta? That makes no sense at all… Gionta is the BEST candidate. Some said the same about Koivu… Not French, Not Big, Too Young, BLAH BLAH BLAH… Stupidity.

EDIT:

OK I re-read it. I mis-understood. I though you meant you would pick Gorges over Markov, and Gio as captain is just wrong….MY FAULT….But I’ll leave what i wrote…

62. Mark C says:

Welcome. Also, if you care, Avtsin’s contract is a slider, meaning that if he does not play at least 10 NHL games in the first season, his terms and entry level time period will extend by a year.

$1.75M can sign a pretty good player(s).

63. SlovakHab says:

Thanks for posting that Avtsin contract info, I was wondering how much he signed for..

Totally agree that Plekanec + $1.75M > Mikko Koivu.

64. Mark C says:

About Yemelin, the clock strikes 12 on him next off-season. His contract ends in April at which time he will be 25. One would think that he re-signs long-term in the KHA or jumps the pond then. If Yemelin stays in the KHL for more than 2 years the Habs will lose his rights.

65. TomNickle says:

Yemelin is NHL ready and his contract expires after this season. Not so coincidentally, Gill and Hamrlik’s contracts expire.

Tinordi hasn’t signed to go to Notre Dame yet and the Knights are calling. I think he’ll play for London personally but that’s just wishful thinking. If he goes to London, he could be NHL ready as early as next December.

Weber could be NHL ready this December. He struggled at the Olympics but had his successes too and only struggled against top flight competition. He’s highly unlikely to see major minutes against lines like Crosby, Iginla and Nash in the NHL.

Carle was drawing rave reviews for his improved defensive play prior to his injury, and his offensive abilities speak for themselves. He could also be ready as early as December of this year.

Bennett and Ellis are surely at least 3 years away but with Yemelin, Tinordi, Carle and especially Weber being this close to NHL action, why sign what will be a 37 year old defenseman to a 2 year deal?

And why do so when you’ll already have Markov, Subban, Spacek, O’Byrne and Gorges under contract?

66. Mark C says:

Haven’t seen it posted, but per Capgeek Avtsin cap hit would be $606,666…and odd and slight diabolic figure. His AHL take home pay is $67,500, with $90,000 bonuses.

Koivu’s signing makes Pleks deal good real good, while I won’t argue that Pleks is better than Koivu. I would argue that Pleks and $1.75 million is > Koivu; anyway, good for Mikko.

67. TripleX says:

If I remember it correctly JM said it during th summer after he was hired as the new coach.

“And I am really looking forward to watching Michael Cammalleri in the NHL. He had an awesome year in the AHL.” PIERRE McGUIRE

68. aemarchand11 says:

Yemelin may never come, Ive been wanting this guy on the blueline like most for years now but i doubt it.

Tinordi will need a few years to develop and could likely step in after that contract expires. 21 years old.

Bennett and Ellis could take a few years or could surprise we will find out.

Our Forward prospects are very up in the air, other then Eller I dont see anybody really jumping into a 1st or 2nd line position. Its obviously early, but Gagne has the two-way style that the Martin staff loves.

Im all for the youth movements, but I think a lot of our prospects are gonna need a few years before being NHL ready.

Go Habs Go! 2010-2011

69. SeriousFan09 says:

Gionta is my favourite for the C, I love what Gorges does for the team, but I think a captain needs to be able to make the play and score the goal that can get the team going. Gionta is a fierce competitor, he doesn’t back off and will score goals.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

70. Mark C says:

I agree, from a hockey career point of view that the sooner he leaves the better. However, the program has never had someone with his pedigree (I am be wrong). I hope that if he has a strong season, he would strongly consider signing and playing the end of the season at Hamilton this upcoming season.

71. Storm Man says:

As a person who went to play ball in a Div 1 university in the states. I know 20 pounds can be done very easy in 3 months, A very clean high protein diet, great training program and the key to it all is genetics. Do I think Leblanc needs to put on 20 pounds for sure he does but does he have to do it in 3-4 months no he does not but he could if he had too. I need to go to the grocery store to pick up some steaks for my BBQ tonight.

72. aemarchand11 says:

Toews is young….. Crosby was young….. Skill sets are obviously night/day but age is not a factor in leadership..

Gorges is a top 4 defenceman, so I dont understand the knocks on him. He wont be captain but he is not far off from being one at an NHL level. Players who put it all out on the line, and who inspire there teamates are captain material.

Go Habs Go! 2010-2011

73. Natrous says:

If you look across the league, all of those negatives have a big impact on captaincy (maybe not leadership but captaincy is the ultimate sign of leadership). Doug Weight and Craig Rivet might be the exceptions to that rule, but they make up for it with experience and still contribute points.

74. TomNickle says:

With Yemelin, Tinordi, Bennett, Ellis, Weber and Carle in the system it’s highly unlikely that Hamrlik gets re-signed.

With Pacioretty, Palushaj, Desharnais, Trotter, White, Eller and Avtsin in the system, it’s highly unlikely that Gagne is signed.

I don’t expect a big splash in next year’s ufa market.  I expect our priorities to be locked up long term and money left over to pay Subban the following season.

75. Cookies says:

Hahaha:P

No. I meant during the huge free agency summer we had last summer. But anyway, question is resolved now, thank you!