France vs. Mexico: Let’s do it again

Mike Boone, Kevin Mio and whoever else wants to whine about lack of goals have this afternoon’s World Cup match between France and Mexico
covered at our Goal Posts blog.

• Hey, wasn’t he washed up? Frankie the Bull signs for two more seasons in Nashville and gets a nice raise.

The Cup comes to Quebec … but not to Montreal.

World Hockey Summit in August. Our invitation is in the mail.

John MacLean to coach the Devils. Michel Therrien will be available for L’Antichambre.

And looking back on it all, aren’t we glad the Canadiens didn’t market centennial vuvuzelas?

1. mike g says:

I don’t think PG is dumb enough to trade with his eyes closed….

Both players involved in that deal need extensions; Carter and Price. Don’t think for one second that if a deal is agreed on for a trade, both teams wouldn’t negotiate extensions with both players before finalizing the deals. MTL would try extend Carter, and same thing with the Flyers and Price.

And it doesn’t matter who you trade with, as long as your not in the same division (even then, if you’re ripping the other team off, you do it). If you’re getting the better deal that adresses a big need of your team, you do it. If MTL had a deal for Vinny last year that included Price, don’t be too sure PG wouldn’t trade with Philly. We play both teams the same amount of times.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

2. ed lopaz says:

we had NO FIRST ROUND PICK the year Tanguay was traded.

Janni Niinima??? C’mon, Mike!!

And to make things worse, Gainey and Carbo both evaluated

Niniima FIRST HAND IN DALLAS.

Like I said, No GM is perfect. and those trades were terrible

3. SeriousFan09 says:

That 1st-round pick in 2008 was a late pick as well, 25th overall so on paper, not a bad exchange when you factor that 2nd-rounder in 2009 was expected to be quite late in the round as well since the team was gearing for the Cup.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

4. Psycho29 says:

See! Those damn VUVUZELAs are pissing everyone off!!!

5. Rugger says:

You would sometimes need a Young, but he would only show up about 25% of the time.

6. SeriousFan09 says:

Some of Serge Savard’s drafting record  would make us pull out our hair if he was doing it today, as would some of his final trade moves for the organization. GMs tend to be defined by a handful of moves they make and that defines them as great, good, bad or Milbury-esque.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

7. Chorske says:

He’s OK. It’s not a bad analysis, but when he says “the Flyers almost won the Cup”, you gotta wonder if he actually WATCHED the finals. That’s not how I saw it.

8. mike g says:

What if I tell you Ribeiro’s nose was so white in MTL in his last year, he looked like he’d eaten a bottle of baby powder…

I’m very good friends with a few owners and employees of some major hot-spots in MTL, and this kid had to get outta here. His carreer and family were in jeopardy. When you shop a player like that, yu don’t look for a big return. If anything, Mike owes Gainey a big hug.

And those picks for Tanguay seemed like peanuts at the time. We still had a 1st and a 2nd round pick that year from other trades, if I’m not mistaken. Tanguy had come off a 40 goal season, and we were adding him to our team which had finished 1st in overall scoring the year before. Not a bad move at the time at all…

In the end, when those trades were made, they were very logical and made sense. The Rangers can’t say that when they handed us Kovy for free. I’m not saying Gainey’s perfect, far from that. But check out the roster he inherited when he came over from Dallas, and compare it to the rosters we’ve had and the success we’ve had since.

It’s not even comparable.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

9. ed lopaz says:

maybe if the habs would have DRAFTED one prior to Leblanc,

that trend would have already been broken??

its kind of tough to feel good about the habs when you’re a

French Quebecois and the Habs are constantly ignoring you at

the draft?

Other than Vinny, the others – and there are not many – were

all out there for the habs to draft.

10. ed lopaz says:

carter has 1 year left at 5 million cap hit. he might not even want to sign a long term deal and play in Montreal.

carter has great raw talent, but I would NEVER TRADE A GOALIE to PHILLY.

AND

Guess what?

Neither will Pierre Gauthier trade a goalie to philly.

If philly wins the cup with our goalie in net, Gauthier would simply lose his job – quite a stiff “price” to pay

40 years follwing the Habs – one of our goalies to Philly??

NOT HAPPENING!!!!!!!!!!! FORGET IT!!!!!!!!!!

11. SeriousFan09 says:

None of the top French Canadians have wanted to play here for a decade. They like beating Montreal, but have no interest in the jersey themselves. Hopefully Louis Leblanc can work to reverse that trend when he pulls on a Habs jersey in 2012.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

12. ed lopaz says:

how about Ribierro fro Janni Ninniima? who got the better player in that deal?

how about trading a #1 pick and a #2 round pick to Calgary for Tanguay?

not great deals for us, by any means.

you know what, all GM’s make good deals and bad deals. that’s the reality of the NHL.

13. SeriousFan09 says:

I meant aside from Hextall, no one really came close to being their new Parent in nets.

Lindbergh, just Googled him, wow that’s tragic. But again, as I always admit, with the history of the NHL and the team, I’m often playing catch-up with the lesser known names and such.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

PuckDaddy is the shiznit!!

15. Storm Man says:

Gagne has said he wont play in Montreal.

You obviously never heard of Pelle Lindbergh.

I am also sure you never saw Hextall’s MVP performance loss to the Oilers either. That was before he became Axtall.

You younguns and your crazy new fads!!!

17. GrimJim says:

I’m 47.5 years old. I’ll settle for any 1 out of the three…

If hockey removed the blue lines it’d be basketball on ice.

19. SeriousFan09 says:

Puck Daddy runs a pretty decent hockey blog I find, but at least a couple of their writers have a bit of a TSN-level bias against the Habs. Their daily “Puck Headlines” tends to have some good links.

Carter’s going to field a lot of offers if he’s on the block, a team looking to add 30-40 goals per season would pay up for him, Price at his current value wouldn’t make it happen IMO.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

Will PG hear the drumming this summer?

21. sholi2000.com says:

The writer of that article has zero hockey sense.  He’s known as puckdaddy and if you have ever read anything he wrote, you wouldn’t read his crap ever again.

Rant of the Day lol

They Call Me Shane

22. HabFanSince72 says:

Maybe he is listening to offers because he’s bored.Or just polite.

There’s no way he’s trading his pick.

Sex and drugs just aren’t the same without rock’n roll!!!

24. Storm Man says:

I would have to look along way down to see if Napoleon was around.

25. G-Man says:

That would leave 4 dead in Ohio….

26. Storm Man says:

Who did they beat rabbit?

The Roos LOL

27. HabFanSince72 says:

Re: Tony242′s opinions on the world cup.

Does anyone give a fuck?

I know I don’t.

28. mike g says:

I’ll tell you what…

I’m not in love with Gainey, but I always supported his decisions. Yes some were questionable, but in the end they were always there to make the team better. And the most successful GM’s will always tell you that if you got the best player in any given trade, you’ve won.

-Was he wrong for trading Huet for a 2nd round pick? Not at all..He knew we had Halak and Price, both superior.

-Did he rip off Sather when we got Kovalev for Josef Balej? Hell yeah, one of the best one-sided trades of the past decade.

-Did he rip off the Rangers when we got Pyatt and Gomez for scrappy Higgins and McDonaugh (who probly won’t play in the NHL)? Yes he did, he got the better player (regardless of salary) in the trade, so he won it.

Those are just a few examples. He’s made a few other nice moves, but everyone’s putting our 17 year Cup drought on his shoulders because he said he would come here as GM and build this team as a contender. All I know is we finished 1st overall 2 years ago, and missed hoisting the Cup this year by 2 weeks. Bash him all you want, it’s 5 out of 6 years we’ve made the playoffs with his team.

Not many teams and GM’s can say that. And only 1 team win’s it all every year, the 29 others are not all failiures though…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

29. GrimJim says:

maybe a shot clock

or extend the penalty area to the half line, so any penalty in the tam’s defensive zone results in a penalty shot. Then we would have some scoring in the game

30. HFX-HabFan says:

Or somehow pry away Rick Nash from the Jackets, trade Malkin for Eric Staal, and then celebrate having Crosby, the Staals and Nash as their top four forwards.

31. HFX-HabFan says:

That’s akin to a Laughs fan harkening back to the Original Six days. “Yeah, we were really good that one time!”

32. alestar says:

If I’m Pittsburgh, I would take #1 pick (Hall) for Malkin in a heartbeat…

XXIV…and counting

33. GrimJim says:

For the number 1 pick, I’d trade the Molsons…

We could get Daryl Katz back, then we would be trading booze for drugs

34. K-hab25 says:

I think he’s making a reference to WW2, when France surrender with no resistance at all to the nazis. PANSIES!!!

35. alestar says:

Somehow, I doubt it…

XXIV…and counting

36. SeriousFan09 says:

Unless Backstrom, Toews, Kane, Doughty, Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin or Stamkos are on the table, it’s a non-starter outside of the #2 pick from BOS. Edmonton after this year can’t do anything but select one of the top two kids favoured as future franchise players, only trade I see happening is the BOS/EDM flipping the 1st and 2nd overalls.

I get the sense EDM actually wants to trade up for a another high pick in the 1st round so they can select a future 1-2 defender to boost their back end, since they’re still weak on Defence and goaltending in the organization.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

37. alestar says:

Never understood why the Habs let Frankie go…he could play on my team anyday!

XXIV…and counting

38. SeriousFan09 says:

Stop flipping out over the Soccer people, this isn’t the thin end of the wedge, it’s World Cup and it doesn’t conflict with the NHL schedule, hell it barely interferes with the Draft and FA. It’s not a yearly event and it isn’t costing us any hockey talk, that’s all we chat about on these things anyway.

Flyers have been without a Cup because aside from Hextall, they’ve not had one goalie who could come close to even carrying Bernie Parent’s jock, they have lost in 6 Cup Finals starting with the Habs sweep in 76, how is their ‘hang the goaltending’ strategy working out? It hasn’t and they’re the best team in the league for turning 1st-round picks into players. Despite all that talent up front and the back end, they’re still without a Cup because they haven’t had anyone who could ‘make the save’. CHI and PHI got to where they are because of elite defence, but every time the defence failed for a few moments, the teams were doomed in the game they were in practically.

Goalies are getting less attention these days because every big-money goaltender is being run straight into the ground because of the cap. Teams can’t afford a good backup, the main goalie plays 70+ games and he’s burnt out for the post-season. Patrick Roy’s Cups came in years where played in the low 60s for a reason and he played a large part of his career in the dead puck era!

Team needs to improve the drafting record of course, but the fact is better choices in 2000, 2003, 2004 would have this team in Contender status and it wouldn’t have required any tanking.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

39. G-Man says:

Trading both would be like saying, “Man, are we strong at center! I know, let’s trade them all away so we can be sucky there.”

40. G-Man says:

The sport is as boring as an unsatisfying crap and those retarded horns only make it unbearable.

That’s it, that’s all.

41. alestar says:

Just for fun…

So if Tambellini is listening to offers for the #1 overall pick, should PG make a play and what should he offer?

XXIV…and counting

42. Bugs says:

I’m still trying to get over the “Germany won’t go anywhere with all their injuries” fact you gave me last time.

Let me catch my breath, mate.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Brotha to the Man with the Plan, Product-runnin Lead Houndogg with the Voodoo Flannel Posse, and Pimp Extraordinaire of Habsbros Mama Jones Snow Cones, muthafugga: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

Nothing gets by you GJ.

44. Storm Man says:

Nothing more then the fact I think France this year is going no place but making wine at this world cup. I just wish you would wake up and see the facts.

No. But you’re stupid enough to write what you just wrote.

46. Malreg says:

I don’t think trades like Huet and Roloson are comparable to our situation.  Price and Halak would fetch a lot more because they are so young, and they are still restricted free agents, and have the potential to be top 10 goalies in the league for the next 10 years.  Also you have to consider the amount of experience both of our goalies already have at their young age.

Toskala is a good example.  He only had 75 games of experience in 2 seasons, and he went for a 1st, 2nd, and 4th.  Mike Smith only had 43 games of experience and he was the major piece of the trade that landed Brad Richards for Dallas.

47. Bugs says:

Just because you say it was over my head doesn’t make it any less lame, Stormy.

Your jokes have no wit, can be applied anywhere EXCEPT to France since the coach had them “surrender” all the way to the Finals last time. So not only is it lame this time; it makes no sense.

Now, I see that you want after me cuz you obviously didn’t like the way I disagreed with an opinion of yours a few weeks back and this is a way to soothe your wounded pride and I can appreciate that and don’t hold againt you but please, de grâce, enough with the lameness.

Suggestion? Google. Google some anti-France barbs; there’s gotta be a ton of’em and I can GUARANTEE that the first one you find will be better than whatever you can come up with, cuz honestly, Stormy?

Ouch!

48. K-hab25 says:

Amen, 1 week from the draft, 2 weeks from a very important FA period and we’re talking about a sport that makes watching paint dry exciting.

49. pic1983 says:

“Why was no one guiding him, making sure he was doing these things he needed to be successful? He was a #5 overall pick, you would think they would’ve invested more time in such an important asset. As far as Halak goes, it depends who you asked.”

Because we are the worst talent developing team in the history of hockey? (or at least over the last 20 years)

50. Thomas Le Fan says:

So … soccer will be soiling this site for the next couple of weeks? Soccer is the anti-hockey. A slow, boring game played by sissies who cover their nuts in fear of an inflated ball. Puck it! Long live Duncan Keith!

51. pic1983 says:

I dont really follow soccer that much, but i do play FIFA here and there on my PS3, and watch the odd highlight package.  I actually am a fan of germany souly because i enjoy saying “Bastien Schweinsteiger” hahaha

Well that, and I think they’re an awesome team.

52. Storm Man says:

Maybe that was over your head. Here is other one for you

Q. What does the coach from France teach his players before a match?

A. How to surrender in 10 languages.

53. andrewberkshire says:

The same people would find something new to argue about. It would be an exercise in futility.

54. cautiousoptimist says:

What’s up with people taking Bugs’s tongue-in-cheek posts really, really seriously?  I mean, have you guys never read any of his other posts?

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  55. GrimJim says:

Punky, I think Dave has cleverly camoflauged “Tank 2.0″ as “TTT”

Although your idea of this ending the Halak/Price war might be worth the damage…

Amen to that. I’d like to see Moore re-signed anyways. Can’t imagine those two in the same locker room. Bertuzzi? Pffffft!!!

57. K-hab25 says:

Depends on if you’re the back-up or the starter? If you played in net the night before practice, then turn around and less than 24 hours later you have a practice, I could see not doing it. Or when they have practices the day of games, to me the treadmill is overkill. On the otherhand if your not playing very often, I could see how the treadmill before every practice, could be important to stay in shape. A better question IMO, is if it’s something that other #1′s around the league do, why was he allowed not to? Why was no one guiding him, making sure he was doing these things he needed to be successful? He was a #5 overall pick, you would think they would’ve invested more time in such an important asset. As far as Halak goes, it depends who you asked. To people like you, who think Halak’s da man, I realy don’t think you would care at all if he wasn’t running on the treadmill “before” every practice. It is pretty clear though that the pro-Halak crowd certainly care alot that Price wasn’t doing it. I mean it was written yesterday and I’ve seen it posted 10 or 15 times now, everytime by the Halak for president crowd. I think I’m starting to agree with HardHabits, just trade them both, this Halak/Price garbage is beyond old.

58. Bugs says:

Oooo-kay.

(they say the best corn grows in left field)

59. Bugs says:

Aw, hell, that happened a long time ago, c’mon.

60. Bugs says:

You can’t just hurriedly apply a joke you heard to every situation, Stormy, because the context doesn’t always permit it.

Obviously, in this situation, you would get more English outta the English and not the French, making the joke utterly lame and your intention simply to bash France completely evident.

You had ”cue ball”; you have Zidane. Shoulda maybe gone in that direction, then making the joke applicable ONLY to France.

You didn’t think this through enough, Stormy, in my opinion.

Gimme full wit, please, not half.

61. HabFanSince72 says:

Well, if anyone doubted that you have French origins, that display of arrogance must have dispelled them.

62. secretdragonfly says:

Always loved Frankie B’s heart and I’m glad to see he’s doing well elsewhere (even if it is Nashville).  On another positive note, it looks like the nonsense some posters have been espousing that we should be going after Bertuzzi can be put to bed as he’s Detroit’s problem for another 2 years.

63. HFX-HabFan says:

Nah, the Habs aren’t a bunch of pansies.  Sorry.

64. Storm Man says:

Bugs what are the similaritys between a soccer player from France and a cue ball?

The harder you hit them, the more english you get out of them.

65. HFX-HabFan says:

The trade market for goalies is never what it should be.  Consider some trades in recent years involving goalies: trade deadline deals (Huet for a 2nd rd, Roloson for 1st rd), or draft weekend deals (Vokoun for 1st and 2nd rd, Toskala for 1st, 2nd and 4th rd).

Each of those guys (maybe a slight exception to Toskala at the time) were perceived as legitimate number ones who were in more of a platoon situation when they were dealt, not unlike Halak.

It’s not unreasonable then to suggest Halak and a roster player for a 1st or 2nd rounder and a top six forward.  That is not an undervaluing of Halak based on the market (which will be that much tougher this summer with a fair number of UFA goalies out there).  I would have no problem sending Halak and AK46 to the Blues for Backes and their first round pick in 2011.  They get the goalie they need, we get the power forward we need.

66. Bugs says:

Disagree.

Nothing beats…SCHWEINSTEIGER!!!

67. GrimJim says:

Two points here: First a clarification. Are you suggesting trading both Halak and Price to shore up different weaknesses that you see in the Habs?

I like Price for Carter. Halak for picks. You ask, “what about the goaltending?” It’s time the Habs start playing hockey and stop depending on their goalies to save their collective asses all the time. Also, where did the Habs nab Roy and Halak. Where was Hasek picked? Good goalies are a dime a dozen and are streaky. Anyone remember Ranford. The guy played lights out for the Oilers when they won their 5th Cup. He disappeared into obscurity after that. The Habs will develop other goaltenders as they always do.

Second: Maybe all the HIO posters are melding together in my mind but were you not the person that was saying a couple of days ago that the Flyers would have won the Cup if they had had better goaltending and that’s why they would accept a trade for Carter? Are you not being inconsistent saying that goaltending doesn’t matter because we’ll just develop more, equally as good, goalies when you’ve previously said goaltending was the missing element that prevented a Flyers Cup win?

IMO trading both goalies, if that is the suggestion, is robbing Peter to pay Paul. It’s taking an area where the Habs are currently strong but redundent and bankrupting it to try to shore up another weakness. Trading one goalie I can understand but trading both is burning the front door to get more heat because you’re cold at night. You’ll just end up with a different problem.

BTW, there’s a fundamental flaw in your reasoning, if goalies of Price and Halak’s ability are so common and not that critical to success, why would Price and Halak be worth anything in trade. Wouldn’t the other teams just have to develop their own, as you are suggesting the Habs do?

68. Bugs says:

Hey, what is this? A hockey post? Huh? Get your own post, ya freeloadin trespassers; this is a FRANCE site, aw’ight? (Mehicanos and canas can hang here too if they want) But the rest’o'yehs should get lost.

Unless…

You help me count the ways in which Team France is super terrifical. I’ll start:

1) These are the champions of world that have the most flair. 2) The most drama. 3) The biggest soap opera atmosphere. 4) The most interesting offensive constructions (when they work). 5) The most justified elitism. 6) Superior history of Greats (Just, Michel, Zizou). 7) The most beautiful red’white’n'blue jerseys…

Remind you of ANOTHER team somewheres?

69. HFX-HabFan says:

Truthfully, Ranford’s stock stayed high for another few years- after winning the Conn Smythe, he then was the MVP of the ’91 Canada Cup.  His numbers deteriorated as the Edmonton team in front of him did, and then I agree, he wasn’t the same once he was sent to Boston (which wasn’t until ’95-’96, a good five/six years after his initial “lights out” play).

70. punkster says:

Good rant Dave. Now does this mean your “Tank for Glory” phase is over and you’ve entered your “Trade Tenders for a Title” phase has begun? LOL

In fact I don’t disagree with this strategy for two big reasons. First, while tenders don’t usually draw big returns both these guys may attract the right kind of attention from those teams looking for a reasonably priced, young, good (with gusts to excellent) goalies. In return we may be able to get a resonably good forward or D for each. No top flight players mind you but maybe some guys that will give us a more attractive trade package for a real scorer. The second reason is that it will kill, once and for all, the idiotic Halak/Price wars here. And that, in itself, may be the best reason to do this.

FREE TIMO!

WTF is all this World Cup of Soccer BS. This is a Habs site!!! This is a hockey site. Stop trying to be a sports reporter Boone. This is Habs Inside Out not sports flavour of the month inside out.

Back to the Habs.

Hockey’s Future has a good article on the Habs and again they say what I have been saying for a while:

In general, whether up front, on the back end, or between the pipes, the organization doesn’t possess a potentially elite prospect. Currently, only Subban appears to be an elite prospect on defense.

I really hope that the Habs make a splash in the scouting department. Also everything hinges on what the Habs do this summer with their goaltenders. I like Price for Carter. Halak for picks.

You ask, “what about the goaltending?”

The Habs will develop other goaltenders as they always do.

Right now though the goalie position is the Habs’ crutch. The wont run until they learn to walk. They wont learn to walk grasping their crutches so tightly either.

72. nickster13 says:

best name at the WC so far: Odemwingie of nigeria. I love saying it!

And stop hating on soccer! no point in spreading hate, some people like it, some dont, thats it thats all.

73. ed lopaz says:

yesterday it was reported by Elliot Freedman that

“Price finally worked hard at getting into good shape.

He committed to going on the treadmill before every practice and it made a huge difference.

That won’t go unnoticed by teams interested in him.”

Here’s my question.

do you see this as a positive statement, i.e – that’s great!

the guy is on his way.

or as a negative, i.e – really? you mean he was not even using a treadmill and he was an NHL #1 goalie.

also, if this was reported about Halak, how would you react?

74. oshawahabsfan says:

If that were the trade, I would be a lot more satisfied with the news that he was moved.

75. JD_ says:

Heh.

Just finished a stupidly long post on why Halak is almost certainly gone…

76. nickster13 says:

I dont like this. He was the better goalie down the stretch and was more of a certainty. I really liked halak as a competitor and a goalie i felt our team could trust back there. I will miss that. We better be getting some quality in return

77. HFX-HabFan says:

Halak to STL for prospects Eller and Schultz.

78. HFX-HabFan says:

Not surprised that he goes to the Blues…although I really wish Backes was coming the other way.  That said, Eller is supposed to be a top prospect.

79. oshawahabsfan says:

Well played Mexico, well played

80. Rob says:

verified…..to which i will now respond….fielding the BEST team for the last TWENTY years???  You still remain mad, i’m afraid

81. Bugs says:

After ONE game???

My friend, my dear, dear, Demi, no, not after one game.

After FORTY years.

Spain ALWAYS fields the best team. They’ve been fielding the best team for EASILY 20 years. When they don’t face adversity of any kind, they go all the way (last Euro).

When they do, they fold.

That’s the knock against Spain, always has been. Wish it weren’t so; I’m quarter Spanish meself.

82. Bugs says:

I said they’ve been the fielding the best team in TWENTY years, Rob. (please verify if you like)

And panicking in the face of adversity for the last 40. (please verify again)

Cool?

83. Rob says:

sorry…i usually just take your posts in jest, but….Spain has ALWAYS fielded the best team for the past FORTY YEARS???

No disrespect, bunny….but you are madder than the hatter!

I will be doing a live US Open golf blog on H I/O.  It will begin with Tiger Wood’s entering his hotel room.

85. SeriousFan09 says:

Tiger Woods in a hotel room? Whoah there buddy, this is a family blog.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

86. punkster says:

Brilliant!

FREE TIMO!

87. Storm Man says:

He rents a house.

88. SeriousFan09 says:

Bouillon was never washed up IMO, he just wasn’t worth keeping around with the retooling.

Bouillon doesn’t have a role to play in Montreal and at what he used to earn here, his numbers and performance didn’t match up with the salary he was earning. Gill is far superior on the penalty kill and in clearing the net in general, not to mention shutdown work against star players, Josh Gorges the same and both provide strong weight with leadership. Spacek’s a much better player, Markov, that’s comparing a Pinto to a Porsche and Subban it’s not even funny how much better this kid is at 21. Hamrlik, yeah the contract sucks but he’s still a solid veteran who can get the job done during the regular season and teach the young kids.

He wouldn’t come back here for 7th defencemen salary, he couldn’t pay Top-4 reliably and we have a much superior unit for the 3rd pairing.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

89. ed lopaz says:

i agree with your analysis until you arrived at hamrlik.

“the contract sucks” – yes. agreed. in fact, it is a far bigger waste of money than the gomez deal. whoever gave gainey the pro “scouting report” on Hamrlik was terribly off – 5.5 million??? – they were projecting Hamrlik as a top 2 d-man at that salary, and he is bad on most nights, and terrible on the others

“teach the young kids” – what exactly? has Hamrlik ever won anything in his career? I watch the d-men very carefully, and I NEVER MISS A GAME, and Hamrlik was not an NHL defenceman last year.

it was precisely hamrlik’s SOFT play in front of Halak that cost us som many key goals against Philly.

you might not like the way Bouillon plays hockey, but at about 1-1.5 million, he would be a far more aggressive player in our zone, winning many board battles and ESPECIALLY playing tough in front of our net.

did you see how many philly goals were scored in our blue paint?

Hamrlik is a big body, but he rarely if ever uses it, and NEVER PLAYS TOUGH.

when you play against teams like philly, you need defence that can help clear the front of the net, or you will be embarassed by their toughness, as we were.

I would buy out Hamrlik and get rid of him immediately.

I would use that spot to bring in a defenceman that is much much tougher, and much more willing to play on the edge.

I especially don’t want Hamrlik “teaching” our young d-men how to play soft by stick checking.

c’mon, lets agree that the Habs need to get stronger in front of our net, and let’s get the right personnel in place.

90. avatar_58 says:

Basically what it came down to I guess – we didn’t need him. Still a good guy

91. SmartDog says:

Hunh. I didn’t know Mexico had a hockey team.

————————————————————-
    Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

92. Bugs says:

And they don’t know we have a soccer one.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

Drafting NHL players isn’t as easy as you would think.

Top 50 UFAs that are available this summer.  No mention of Moore or Metro so they might go dirt cheap.  Bertuzzi re-signs with Detroit for two years.

Puck Daddy’s take on the Flyers’ situation in net as it relates to Carter and the Habs.

94. longtimehabsfan says:

Thanks for the post.  That’s how Serge Savard did it during his tenure as GM.  Don’t forget, Patrick Roy was a 3rd round pick.

95. likehoy says:

is edmonton really listening to offers?

if they are, is PG trying his best?

goalie + sergei (to play with sam gagner) + 1st for their 1st.

add andrei +2nd for penner as well (maybe).

then again oiler fans might be wanting the second coming of gretzky or even messier.

likehoy – You’re dreaming!  The Oilers would never go for that deal.  Goalies are a dime a dozen these days in an inflated market.  Sergei has little value and our pick is 27th, who knows if that player will ever make the NHL?

The Oilers must be smarting from their fall from grace but at least they know that Hall or Seguin will be the basis of a turnaround.  The only trade they might look at would be with Boston.  Flip picks and get another piece from the Bruins (who according to rumour, really want Hall).

97. pic1983 says:

Often, when it comes to a first overall pick, it doesnt matter what package you’re offering.  For a team who’s rebuilding, and picking first overall, making that selection is more of a prestige thing.  Its something to get the fan base hyped up for.  Outside of crosby or Ovechkin coming back the other way, I dont see the oilers trading that pick.

Why should they anyway? they have a stable of good prospects who will be able to grow together, and are extremely cap-friendly.

98. camel_larry says:

So yeah, I’m gonna see cam barker playing golf today. Hopefully get an autograph. He’s a guy I wouldn’t mind having on the team.

99. ed lopaz says:

are you watching argentina? they are amazing!

100. Bugs says:

You’d rather see a team score fifty times than once?

I dunno, the scores lose their importance when they occur every minute…

My opinion.

101. likehoy says:

getting an RFA goalie actually works into edmonton’s favour because they have khabibulin contracted for another 2 years at a ridiculous 6 million per year. dubnyk and drouin-deslaurier are back ups at best.

getting an RFA goalie gives them a chance to solidify their goaltending future due to not being able to sign another goalie until another 2 years from now, and no one can predict the goaltending market 2 years from now.

i think you are undervaluing sergei’s value. he has no part for our team due to his demeanour, but he’s a ppg player in the AHL, he’s scoring at about .4ppg in the NHL. he’s got the offensive skills to be an effective player in the NHL and he has the value of a prospect, and not as an established NHLer.

102. Chorske says:

Bring back Lang.

103. Habsrule1 says:

You are way off on your assessment of Hamrlik. He may have been our best defenseman for the first 40 games of the season, and again at times in the playoffs.

He’s not worth $5.5M, but he can teach the young guys. Your assessment that only a defenseman who has won something can teach is beyond ridiculous.

Go Habs Go!! “I don’t have a copy of Georges’ code, I don’t know what it is,”. “I think the code is that you’re here for your teammates. It’s not your code, it’s our code.” – Bob Gainey

104. ed lopaz says:

ok – go build your franchise with Hamrlik and all the young defenceman he will teach.

he’s terrible and the whole league is laughing at us for paying him 5.5 million.

105. andrewberkshire says:

Massive over-exaggeration. Is Hamrlik worth 5.5 million? No, but he’s probably worth 4-4.5 on most teams and we had to overpay to get him. Last season he was our best defenseman for about 40 games in the regular season and we wouldn’t have had a sniff of the playoffs without him.

As for whether he’s ever won anything in his career, you’re damn right he has, an olympic gold medal, which is a hell of a lot rarer to win than a Stanley Cup.

106. Mark C says:

No their not Ed, stop being so lazy with your arguments. Take a look at all the bad contracts out there, how about Redden @ 6.5, Campbell @ 7.14, Phaneuf @ 6.5, Jovanovski @ 6.5, McCabe @ 5.75, and Visovsky @ 5.6, albeit some of these players are better than Hammer, but they are all overpaid.  No one but you is laughing at Hammer’s deal, and yes he is overpriced, but so too are the vast majority of UFA’s.

107. Bugs says:

Spain lacks the ability to not panic when facing sudden adversity, that’s what Spain lacks.

108. andrewberkshire says:

I agree with your opinion, Bugs.

109. K-hab25 says:

It may lose it’s “importance”, but it is nice to actually see a score at some freaking point. Atleast soccer’s good for something, taking a nap.

110. pic1983 says:

Totally agree, thats why i can only watch the 4th quarter of a basketball game.

111. Thomas Le Fan says:

Makes perfect sense to me although I was predicting Edmonton but what do I know. A first rounder and a third rounder for a ninth rounder who may or not be the real thing in the long run. On paper it makes a lot of sense. I hope we can all say, “Go Carey! Go Habs!” or go become Blues fans.

112. RaDoonZ says:

Great job Mexico… BTW, love your food ;-D

113. habs63 says:

This game is going almost perfect with the latest Mexican goal.

France score 1 goal and I get 3 points in my pool. Go Mexico only giving one goal.