France vs. Mexico: Let’s do it again

Mike Boone, Kevin Mio and whoever else wants to whine about lack of goals have this afternoon’s World Cup match between France and Mexico
covered at our Goal Posts blog.

• Hey, wasn’t he washed up? Frankie the Bull signs for two more seasons in Nashville and gets a nice raise.

The Cup comes to Quebec … but not to Montreal.

World Hockey Summit in August. Our invitation is in the mail.

John MacLean to coach the Devils. Michel Therrien will be available for L’Antichambre.

And looking back on it all, aren’t we glad the Canadiens didn’t market centennial vuvuzelas?

1. ManApart says:

God better hope Price turns out how everyone says he will, because this could end up being a disaster of a trade on the scale of the Roy deal. I really did not like what I saw from Price for the past year and a half, his game looked like it was full of holes and he couldn’t win for the life of him. He is still young and seems to have changed his attitude, but the pressure will be huge on him next season. If he falters like he did this year, things could get ugly for him and PG. Maybe Desjardins will start the whole debate all over again.

WOOHOOOOOOOO. DRAFT LOTTERY HERE WE COME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’za really wanna be educamated on this runnin’ after the ball game. It looks like its fun to be chasing dat ball around.

4. SmartDog says:

I suppose you’re right. On both counts.

————————————————————-
    Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

5. SeriousFan09 says:

Tanguay wanted a lot more on July 1st I guess and Gainey didn’t like
    what he saw from him, so he brushed him aside entirely for the new core.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

6. Rob says:

holy crap.  i will wait to see what we got in return, but i am SHOCKED!!

7. ed lopaz says:

in the same way Kristo and Leblanc look real good to us (untouchables), this kid mjust look real good to Calgary.

why didn’t gainey re-sign tanguay for peanuts and plug up that hole we had in our top 6?

there was speculation here that Tanguay would not play hurt.

8. eagle says:

Ya team 990 confirmed it, Halak to Blues

9. SeriousFan09 says:

RDS reports Halak to the St. Louis Blues, I don’t think the Habs I/O server can survive this.

No word on what’s coming back. One rumour had a 1st from St. Louis and David Perron.

If the 1st is acquired, Canadiens could combine the 14th from St. Louis and 27th of their own to move up into the Top 10 potentially.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

10. Rob says:

is this legit?!?!

11. eagle says:

halak traded according to rds  http://www.rds.ca/

12. BJ says:

Daniel Brière and daughter in a car accident (does not seem as if its life threatening) source CKAC.

Jaroslav Halak traded to St. Louis Blues.

13. SeriousFan09 says:

That’s all we’re talking about really, but I would be absolutely shocked if Pleks signed anything less than 4 years, MTL or elsewhere.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

14. SmartDog says:

Interesting.Thanks for posting.

————————————————————-
    Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

15. SeriousFan09 says:

How do you know we won’t be hiring more scouts at the end of month as other teams choose to release certain scouts from their own departments or we hire them away? Wait and see.

Also why I argue that if Kabanov is available, take him because if those 5 guys are the best of the 27th overall picks in NHL history, it’s a good time to roll the dice.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

16. SmartDog says:

Played soccer my whole life, including in college.

And I think it doesn’t belong here anymore than basketball or baseball would.  It’s HABS insideout. I don’t like sifting through soccer stories to see what people are saying and thinking about the Habs. You might not agree but I’m sure you can see that point.

We can agree to disagree.

————————————————————-
    Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

17. SmartDog says:

Sorry.  Just seeing if anyone was still interested in talking hockey.

My bad.

————————————————————-
    Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

18. SeriousFan09 says:

Yes but at the same time, look how quickly Kristo and Leblanc rose on our HF charts because in terms of offensive talent, they didn’t have much direct competition. Calgary doesn’t have a very deep farm, they’ve moved a lot of picks for other assets.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

HAHAHAHA.

Geuss where Scott Gomez was drafted?

Hidden Gems & Busts at the 27th Overall Draft Position

All hope is not lost. Oh wait. We’re talking the Habs, a team that just fired 6 from it’s scouting department and kept Timmins!!!

20. SeriousFan09 says:

Where’s that report from? Or a suggestion? Although I doubt a player in his prime will sign a two-year deal.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

21. derfab says:

My dawghta Ellie-mae loves it reel good.

22. Mark says:

I can’t believe how many bloody ignorant, unsophisticated rednecks there are on this site. Enough already with bashing soccer. Sure, if you’ve never played, or taken the time to educate yourself about the sport, then it would seem boring, but frankly, that’s your loss and your own damn fault. Don’t start bashing the most beautiful game in the world just because you don’t understand it. And all the whining about about it being “too slow” and an “organized jog”, that’s exactly what makes it “The Beautiful Game”, it’s a methodical pace, not all out speed and bashing like NASCAR and hockey, that, and the fact that it unites the entire world, it’s something that we can all participate in, not like bourgeois hockey where you need to be a gosh darn millionaire just to afford the suit of armor they call equipment. I mean, come on, really? Have you even tried soccer? Soccer players are the best conditioned athletes on the planet! They play for 90 minutes, not 30 seconds like hockey players, and they do it WITHOUT padding! And you’d cover your nuts from an inflated ball as well because it hurts like bloody hell when you get hit. Especially when it’s kicked at you at speeds that exceed even Chara’s slap shot. Soccer players are talented warriors, not like the padded up goons of Philly and Boston hockey.

I will however, admit that soccer does have one flaw, and that is how out of control the diving is, as a former player, I have to admit that nothing would infuriate me more than when a teammate or opponent would mysteriously wind up on the ground with no one around him. Aside from that, the game is beautiful, and represents what’s good and right in the world. And I have to commend some of the posters on here for trying to take and interest in the game, and trying to support it.

Damn Hillbillies though, tryin to ruin it for the rest of us… It’s a shame.

23. derfab says:

You may be right, but I hope not. With 32 teams in the league, there are no rivals, just 31 opponents. A trade means somebody else gets him. We should worry more about the return and keep Price until we get a Carter-type player  AND a first round pick, minimum.

24. ed lopaz says:

agree. but Greg Nemisz is already Calgary’s # 2 ranked prospect.

looks real bad, I would say.

I can’t find the #2 round pick in 2009 that Calgary got in the deal.

25. SmartDog says:

Plekanec signs 2 year deal worth $9.5 mil

————————————————————-
    Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

26. SeriousFan09 says:

Hope so, seems fundamentally wrong that Quebec isn’t producing a series of stars to terrorize the NHL.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

27. ed lopaz says:

I agree. the U18 team has quite a few Q prospects at the camp.

maybe the trend is changing

28. SeriousFan09 says:

I can find guys with better junior stats who never amounted to anything in the NHL, add in the stacked nature of the Windsor Spitfires and those totals can also be considered a little artifically high. Looks bad, but I don’t think we gave them their No. 1 centre with that pick.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

29. ed lopaz says:

mike, with all due respect, I disagree.

you can argue all you want with your logic.

it won’t happen because gauthier’s job would be lost.

he would be so roasted by the media, that he would leave

in disgrace.

if it does happen, the habs trade EITHER goalie to Philly,

I’ll tell you what, I will come on this

site, apologize to you straight out, and admit to

everyone how wrong I was.

no problem at all doing that.

30. mike g says:

I agree that no GM is perfect, that’s very obvious…

But the Tanguay situation was handled extreamly well by Gainey. He paid market value for a 40 goal scorer coming to a team with Cup aspirations. You think CGY did up the asking price when they saw we had a chance at increasing our already league-best offense and PP? Of course they did, and at that time the trade was good for both sides…

The Habs had been eliminated by Philly, largely because the offense wen’t dry along with PP struggles. Tanguay was targetted to help this from happening again, and a 40 goal scorer is a good solution. Gainey chose not to re-sign him, and that again was a wise move. Nobody touched him last summer, until Tampa threw him a bag of peanuts at 1.5 mill. How did he respond playing with Stamkos, ST-Louis, and Lecavalier? Pretty badly, and that’s why we didn’t want him back….

The Tanguay situation IMO was properly adressed, both in acquiring him and letting him go. You also have to consider at the time we gave up those 1st and 2nd round picks, we looked like a very strong young team that could have skipped a year of high draft picks. We had AK who looked like he could pop 30 per year, SK played very well, Webber and Carle still progressing, Price and Halak playing well, Pleks popping 69 pts at 25 years old, and Latendresse scoring 16 goals at 20 years old.

Those 1st and 2nd round picks, which weren’t high ones (I think 25th or something), were not as important and valuable for us as they would be for a struggling team. We were the top team in the East, which made it easier to part ways with them.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

31. SeriousFan09 says:

There hasn’t been much Quebecois talent available in the draft for the last 10 years though is also the issue, if one skater is 20 spots ahead of the other, birthplace or not it is your duty to draft the better skater, drafting/signing Quebecois in the hopes that the CH will make them play better got played out a long time ago becuase it didn’t work. Only major omission in the last 10 years was Claude Giroux in the 1st round. The 2nd round, in 2003 Corey Urquhart over Bergeron was a mistake naturally, Lats, either laziness or bad development, or both was hardly a shining moment for 2005 and  Mathieu Carle seems too fragile to make the NHL from 2006 pick in the 2nd and after that, I don’t see any real mistakes.

Quebec hockey is weak right now and so the Canadiens don’t have much to choose from, especially with 29 other teams drafting.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

32. ed lopaz says:

25th overall to Calgary in 2008.

a 6’3 center 200 lbs center for Windsor who has scored more than 30 goals a year 3 times in junior.

an excellent NHL prospect I would say,

Greg Nemisz

33. mike g says:

You can’t eliminate Philly from your trading partners by thinking the way you do…

The chances of facing them again in the playoffs are very slim. And if you don’t face them, why not trade with them?

We faced Carolina, Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh and Washington in recent years. Would you not trade with them too, or you would because we’ve beaten some of them and lost to others? You never know who you’ll face for the next 5 years and so on. If we nixed good potential trades with Tampa and the Canes 3 or 4 years back because we had just played them, well that’s bad management because we haven’t faced them since. Nobody can tell the future.

Even if we trade one of our goalers to Philly, there’s no guarantee we face them in the playoffs. The highest possibility we have of facing them is in the Conference Finals again, because your rankings don’t matter then. Are you saying you can’t trade with them because we might finish 7th and them 2nd next year? That’s just crazy, unless you know the future. They can finish anywhere an get eliminated by weaker opponents. Same goes for us. You can’t block trades with them for those reasons.

If that’s the case, don’t trade with Western Conference teams either, cuz you can face them in the Finals every year…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

34. ed lopaz says:

so why not re-sign tanguay?

because gainey changed his mind, and that’s Ok for you?

this is the 3rd time I’ll say it, no GM is perfect.

each one makes good and bad moves.

when you trade a 1st and a 2nd, the guy is injured during

his year here, still manages to produce, and you don’t even

try to re-sign him (Tanguay signed in Tampa for close to nothing compared to the 5 million we paid him)

you have made a mistake, and that’s that.

I’m not bashing Gainey here.

I’m just balancing the argument, because for everything positive a GM does, there is usually a negative.

35. mike g says:

With the state that Ribeiro was in, getting nothing for him at that point was worth it…

And like SeriousFan said, we were in “Cup” mode, trying to add a missing piece to the puzzle. Tanguay was a 40 goal guy in a defensive team in CGY, not a bad pickup at the time…

Gainey’s made some mistakes, but built a playoff team every year.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

That’s why this site is so amazing. Before I ever started posting I would learn (and I still do) a **** load from all the intelligent minds here. I am even including those who don’t come across as intelligent to others.

37. Chorske says:

Big difference w the Habs is that France has won a major championship in the past decade. Les Habs, not so much.

Also, the Habs have never screwed Ireland. ;)

38. ed lopaz says:

Mike, the team that trades a great young goalie to philly is just asking to lose.

Especially since we JUST GOT ELIMINATED BY PHILLY.

It will not happen.

I guarantee it.

39. joeybarrie says:

You know this is a very good point. There are alot of factors that function in to these trades. And usually most people don’t know what they are. Easy to look back and pick and choose this or that. But being in the situation is not always as it looks… Tough decisions await and the GM will be bashed either way… You can NEVER win here.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

40. ed lopaz says:

the Tanguay and Ninnima deals were horrible trades.

like I said, every GM makes mistakes.

Tanguay was injured during his 1 season here.

He was actually perfoming well while healthy.

why not re-sign him??

because he was a bust, that’s why.

Ninnima literally left the NHL – he was ranked 180th best d-man while he was here.

IMHO of course.

41. Malreg says:

Ok what’s with all the whining about the World Cup coverage?!?  If you don’t like it then dont freaking read it, simple as that!  Boone and Mio can post whatever they want on THEIR site, stop bitching.

If they want to post a link to a soccer blog that isn’t even being held on this site, then who cares?  Some people are just never happy unless they’re complaining about something.