Four weeks less a day till training camp…

Some of us (the writer of this post included) remember when you’d send in a proof of purchase from Bee Hive Corn Syrup or these other St. Lawrence Starch Co. products to get a cherished 5×7 black and white photo of your favourite hockey stars. This ad is off the back of the writer’s 1960s Bee Hive scribbler.

• An NHLPA feature on Canadiens’ Maxim Lapierre, and how he’s excited about the season to come.

• What I did on one day of my summer vacation, by Travis Moen.

• Former Canadien Alex Kovalev made a swing through Montreal in recent days, accompanying 69 heart-ill children to a summer camp courtesy of his foundation. RDS spoke with Kovy about that, the Senators and the idea that Andrei Markov might be named Habs captain.

• PuckDaddy on the NHL’s tiebreaker change.

Don Cherry weighs in on a whole lot of things.

• Windsor Star’s Bob Duff’s typically fine read on Montreal-born trailblazing NHL goalie Bob Sneddon.

• The same week they name his hometown Île Bizard, Que., arena after him, it’s announced that Vinny Lecavalier is headed for knee surgery.

1. habstrinifan says:

WOW! If this is true then my optimism for next season goes way up. If Lappy can overcome his ‘fear’ of getting punched he will then play to his full skill level more freely. He has tons of skill….speed, some good dekes, and a great shot. And on top of that he is a “Rat” to play against. Remember Linseman. The one thing that has held him back is that he genuinely ‘turtles’ when any scrum breaks out. Once he learns to fight, and learns that taking a punch wont hurt his ‘good looks’ he will be a a huge plus on the team.

2. habstrinifan says:

I havent gone back and check the scores etc. I like to make my posts base on gut reaction.
    And on gut reaction, I wont want what happened last year between Montreal and Toronto to happen this year. It seemed to me that we lost every ‘key’ game (key game being at important points in our season) to Toronto. Just as it seemed we did with Ottawa save very early.

And especially that last game where we got the one point to make the playoffs. A dreadful evening for a habs fan.

I hate Toronto! And as I said I am posting from my gut reaction to last season. And from what I remember, I was sick to the gut after too many Toronto/Mtl games.

I want us to beat them convincingly this season.

3. Aaron13 says:

Saw the game as well. They really beat the tar out of the Pens. Had Martin rested Halak a bit in the PHI series, we could have gone all the way. Halak was plain worn out andPrice should have been put in for at least one game. Too bad the coach is a dummy. Subban was great. Hopefully Martin won’t ruin him as he did with players in OTT.

4. bostonantifan says:

Koivu was a scorer?  You’ve got to be kidding.

5. Exit716 says:

Go Cheer for St. Louis then.

6. Exit716 says:

A four year contract with St. Louis for $3.75 million a year, just ask Twitter-head Alan Walsh.

7. nunacanadien says:

I agree, with all the money we pay him, and all the scores he scored, he’s earned it, Cammy got us into the playoffs this year like he was paid to do.  Now that we have Cammy for a few years, let’s at least make him into a captain like the other high paid scorer Koivu…..

8. SeriousFan09 says:

I give credit to the guy who could have easily won Conn Smythe over Toews in Keith, than Seabrook, Hjalmarasson, Campbell and Sopel, the men on the blue line who really made that cup possible.

His numbers weren’t that good playing in front of either the best, or 2nd best defensive unit in the entire NHL all season or the playoffs. He’ll never approach the same career accomplishments unless he lands in another city with Top-5 league-wide D.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

9. nunacanadien says:

Hey, here in Montreal we praise a sh*tty goalie, and we crap all over the hard working goalie who gets us into the playoffs, what do you expect?