Some of us (the writer of this post included) remember when you’d send in a proof of purchase from Bee Hive Corn Syrup or these other St. Lawrence Starch Co. products to get a cherished 5×7 black and white photo of your favourite hockey stars. This ad is off the back of the writer’s 1960s Bee Hive scribbler.
• An NHLPA feature on Canadiens’ Maxim Lapierre, and how he’s excited about the season to come.
• What I did on one day of my summer vacation, by Travis Moen.
• Former Canadien Alex Kovalev made a swing through Montreal in recent days, accompanying 69 heart-ill children to a summer camp courtesy of his foundation. RDS spoke with Kovy about that, the Senators and the idea that Andrei Markov might be named Habs captain.
• PuckDaddy on the NHL’s tiebreaker change.
• Don Cherry weighs in on a whole lot of things.
• Windsor Star’s Bob Duff’s typically fine read on Montreal-born trailblazing NHL goalie Bob Sneddon.
• The same week they name his hometown Île Bizard, Que., arena after him, it’s announced that Vinny Lecavalier is headed for knee surgery.