Four score and four years ago

This toaster will torch the CH logo into your whole wheat. Comes with a certificate of authenticity, too, because none of us want to eat counterfeit toast.

Red Fisher turned 84 yesterday, and celebrated (as it were!) by being interviewed by Mike Boone

A feast for the eyes

The first five years of the shootout, from NHL.com

• From The Hockey News: Top 10 NHL players who left the league to play in Russia

• Pretty cool Newsy Lalonde hockey card, if you’ve got a spare quarter-million dollars

• True story that Sergei bought one of these before he left for Nashville?

1. K-hab25 says:

Play me or trade me, is most certainly giving the team an ultimatum. He did the same thing Laraque and Sergei did, but no one jumps to there defense with excuses to justify there selfish acts. Halak put himself before the team. You can twist the facts all you’d like, but the fact is they split starts in OCT and both had SV%’s around .890. In NOV, Price had a 2.48 – .922% 5-4-2 and he got 11 of the 12 games, because of how well he was playing. So explain to me how it was unfair treatment to play the hot hand. Was it unfair to Price that he got 8 starts in the last 4 months of the season, including the 1 start he got in the playoffs. Both were bad in FEB similarly to OCT, Price had a 3.74 – .888 1-1 in his 2 starts and Halak had a 3.17 – .906 3-2 in his 5 starts. Then in March, Price had a 2.54 – .924 1-2-1 in his 5 starts (including the ANH game) and Halak had a 2.03 – .921% 7-2-1 in his 9 starts. In April and May, Price got 1 more start, game 4 vs WAS. Looking at there stats for FEB and MAR, considering how equal the #’s were and how bad Halak was the last week of the season, was it fair Price didn’t get 1 start in April. I don’t remember Price going to the media and whining about it. No, like a good teammate, he kept his mouth shut, worked his butt off in practice and supported Halak. No tweets about how bad Halaks play was the last week of the season. I really believe Halak and his agents off ice exploits, are why he was the one who was traded. I think Halak is the better goaltender, “at the moment”, but I don’t think they wanted someone who was going to run to the media everytime he felt like he wasn’t being treated “fairly.”

2. SLONCOLD says:

the thing that always gets me going is that gainey released the story and halak kept the issue behind closed doors. i don’t understand why BG had to release that story; i’ll never get that pr move on his side…

3. RGM says:

It’s a good thing you’re not a GM or else you’d a: guarantee that the #1 goalie of the team would sit out for a year, and b: get nailed for salary cap circumvention since players on a non-entry level contract cannot earn bonuses.

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

4. RGM says:

The problem with trying to prove a negative like that is that it’s not what happened, and therefore mere speculation. We could posit with equal credibility (since none of the following happened, it’s irrelevant and thus zero) that the Hawks would have won in 4 with 4 shutouts, lost in 4 by an average deficit of 5 goals, or squeeked it out in 7 thanks to a miraculous 50-save performance by Cristo when it was all on the line.

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

5. TomNickle says:

It must be meant to be.  I just signed in right now.

Post it sucker!

6. volcano62 says:

OMG EXACTLY! Bottom line is this: Niemi (who currently wears a stanley cup ring) is worth 2.75m. NOT Mr. underacheiver Carey Price. I would give Price 1 year - $990,000 (+ bonuses) contract and see how it goes.

7. Storm Man says:

This post is for the people that want to play in the ESPN fantasy hockey league. I will have it posted when the draft starts before 5pm EST today. I hope maybe Boone or Stubbs may play in the league. Oh tommy boy make sure you dont miss it Mike and I want to beat you :)

8. nightmare_49 says:

Fiber Ed – I’m leaving for the market immediately. Bran Flakes, proper thing.

9. G-Man says:

He still won the cup- can’t believe how many posters here think the any goalie could have won with that D in front of them. HUET COULDN’T! Got it?

10. nightmare_49 says:

They are not all chior boys like Mr.Boone & Mr.Fisher …..  ESPN personality and former Sun-Times sports columnist Jay Mariotti was arrested early this morning by Los Angeles police officers on suspicion of felony domestic assault, according to the L.A. Times.
       Read more: Ex-Sun-Times columnist Mariotti arrested in L.A – Chicago Breaking News …..  http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/08/jay-mariotti-arrested-in-los-angeles.html

11. The Teacher says:

lol, don’t let the facts get in the way of a dream buddy!

12. BJ says:

Here is a Red Fisher story that I experienced. I was shooting (photography) an exhibition game for Canadian Press in Ottawa (if I remember correctly September 1979) and after the game I was in the dressing room and Red had just gotten a telephone call informing him that he was now unemployed as the Montreal Star folded. I remember Serge Savard giving him a pep talk.

13. The Teacher says:

hahaha, THIS SHOULD BE FUN :) Maybe the winner could buy Red dinner one day as a prize, hey BOONE!! ahahaha

mY crappy GUESS IS Alfred…although that would be pretty simplistic lol

14. joeybarrie says:

Great article on Red Fisher.

That being said RED IS WRONG… ‘Can’t see the Habs making the Playoffs’.  Well he was right about predictions… If I remember correctly last season the ONLY team he got right was the Habs ending up in 8th place. He had the Pens in number 1 and the Caps down at 3. He also said the Habs would be playing golf EARLY is Price didn’t play great. Well Price didn’t play great and the team made the Conference Finals without their best player. I cannot see why we would fall so low in one season where we didn’t really change anything. The Canes in the playoffs, Ottawa and the Sabres out of the playoffs, and RED SAID the Leafs would be the biggest suprise of the season… Well he was right there except I don’t think he meant in LAST place.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

15. RGM says:

That sounds like a decent amount – it’s a nice little raise (in hockey terms anyways) over the $2.2M he was making on his entry-level contract. We’ll see what happens…

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

16. RGM says:

He is presently on tour with the BC Rodeo Association, where he ranks 6th in rookie points and is #1 in #8 Team Roping – Heelers. BCRA Inside/Out members are overall in support but some point out that he’s no Ty Lytton, who stole the #1 position from him after Price struggled at a couple events.

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

17. Ed says:

I’m always here, watching & reading. It’s bran flakes these days, & guess what – we got our first wild blueberries yesterday. Man, are they good.

18. j2c says:

Sure he won the cup but look at the team and defence that played in front of him. Price had very good numbers on a team that was still new and did not have a chemistry and behind a much worse defensive squad then Niemi. Niemi won the cup because they team was strong not because he played awesome in the playoffs. But thats just my opinion on the matter.

19. CharlieHodgeFan says:

It all went wrong when the team got deforumed.

20. Storm Man says:

Start to enjoy your summer. That would be very sound logic.

21. Danno says:

I wonder if Red Fisher ever went fishing with Red Fisher?

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

22. Mattyleg says:

Fantastic article on Red Fisher!! One of my own heroes. I was reading his column first in the paper ever since I was aware that newspapers existed, around the early 80s.

HERE’S A FUN SPECULATION QUESTION FOR YEZ ALL:

- What’s Red’s REAL name??

I have some theories… ;-)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

23. lenny says:

Carey Price…where are you??? I still cant see how our beloved GM traded Halak before signing Price…Im not oppsed to the trade, just cant figure out the logic…

24. Mikey_39 says:

I disagree.  Didn’t Niemi get that in arbitration?  And that’s a goalie who just won the stanley cup, not one who was a backup for a good part of the season.  I find that’s a little pricey for price.  But I guess it’s pretty much what everyone expected

25. Mikey_39 says:

No, I’ve been following them for a while and they’ve been calling A LOT of things right.  It’s actually pretty impressive

26. Psycho29 says:

This is your brain on drugs…….

Hockey Wives Riot?

27. Mattyleg says:

…and the Habs got destroyed by making it to the Conference Finals this year…?

I don’t follow you.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

28. Mattyleg says:

What an utter load of tripe.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

29. Bizbo says:

Thanks to Red Fisher I had the opportunity to meet many of my favorite Habs at his home when I was a child. I even got to play gin rummy with many Hall of Famers.  I didn’t know that Red wants to keep his real name a secret.  It is safe with me.

30. Ron in Ottawa says:

Maybe the habs are going to be like the Boston Red Sox and the curse of the Babe. Look how long it took for them to win the Series after that bad trade in 1919. The habs struggle with the curse of Roy. who knows for how long.

31. K-hab25 says:

That sounds about right for both sides. I also figured before the end of AUG Price would sign, so probably sometime this week.

32. Malreg says:

Boyd’s an instigator now?  If so then he’s not very good at it, considering he averages about 15 PIM a year…

33. nunacanadien says:

Aww the Carey Price apologist are out like a bad case of midgeflies after a rain….aww…the meltdown where we saw Carey Price anchor the nets while Sakku Koivu cried about not using Halak, or how Johnson would fall down chasing after the puck while Samsonov sat on the bench, oh yes, after we came first in the conference finals and Gainey insisted on using Price the year after and it destroyed the habs.  Gainey had the right formula until Price came around.

34. Malreg says:

Isn’t Hockey30 the french equivalent of Hockeybuzz?

Anyways, I think it’s a reasonable offer, and it’s exactly what everyone has been guessing for the last 2 months (2 years, 2-2.75 mil/year).

35. Danno says:

Must be.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

36. nunacanadien says:

That leave’s Gauthier with very little, maybe we’ll get an instigator/defense to add to the recent acquisition of instigator/forward Boyd.  I guess Gauthier wants to borrow from the Sean Avery school of dirty hockey.

37. nightmare_49 says:

from Lyle Richardson (Spector’s Hockey)

The Swiss news site 20 Minutes Online reports Chicago Blackhawks goaltender Cristobal Huet will be loaned to the Swiss team Fribourg-Gotteron next season under a one-year contract.

38. Mattyleg says:

Living Legend of Sports Journalism

—Hope Springs Eternal—

39. nightmare_49 says:

Static Ed – Just putting a few more berries on your corn flakes, i knew you were out there, lol.

40. Mikey_39 says:

According to Hokey30, Price’s contract will be 5.5mil/2 years.  Although nothing is official, Hockey30 has been very accurate these last couple of months with their rumors

41. joeybarrie says:

I don’t know about that.. I do know Halak said “Play me or Trade me”. Completely within his rights, and I don’t see how it was put in a selfish light. I don’t think he was treated unfairly, I don’t think he think he was treated unfailry. He was playing less, and wanted to play more. Personally I think he said it because he thought Price was a very good goalie and probably wouldnt be getting any chances with him around. Also perfectly fair if you ask me. Not happy, do what you can to make yourself happy. Its a PROFFESSION, and Halak is competitive. GOOD FOR HIM.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

42. joeybarrie says:

WHAT? Is this even in English?

What Meltdown? What terrible decade? You mean the one where we came in first in the East and also made it to the Conf Finals? For the first time in 15 years?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

43. Chorske says:

Hockey wives riot.

Have I been in a coma for the past five years? I’m pretty certain I’d remember a hockey wives riot.

Forget grasping at straws. It’s too late for straw. This horse is DEAD.

44. Danno says:

I think that the Gazette and the Bell Centre should get together and one day retire Red’s typewriter or something as a way to honour the man who gave us so many legendary memories.

Boone, what’s the LLSJ?  Long-loved sports journalist?

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

45. punkster says:

There’s a straw there somewhere. I just can’t grasp it.

FREE TIMO!

Thanks Mike Boone.

I knew of him well, but had not the abilility of appreciating Reds past great work. thanks for bringing me up to speed.!

47. ths says:

Red you are a legend. I guess the double shot of CHIVAS is the only way to get you there now as you’ve been drinking 21 year old Highland Park all those years and the habs been offering you Capt Morgan the last 18 hockeywise.

Can’t fault you for being underwhelmed these days.

Been long gone from Montreal now as far as I’m concerned Habs history is Montreal history really.

Glorious teams in Glorious times ….

P.S. Loved the ‘Red’ part. As a lasting tribute to the guy the secret of his name should die with him, Booner, Hickey , Mitsou and the Happy hour shift at Wandas

48. nunacanadien says:

I remember Red Fisher wondering why Gainey played Price, and called that, and hockey wives rushed to Red’s aid as everyone wondered why everyone in Montreal was crapping all over the hockey analyst from the Gazette who sparked off a hockey wive’s riot.  This was the quiet riot that sparked the meltdown in Montreal.  Fortunately for Gainey, unfortunate for us, Gauthier took over the reins, while Gainey still has the close ear of management to help hide and deflect Gainey’s terrible decade of midget hockey in Montreal.

49. Ed says:

nm – isn’t it mind boggling what some people are trying to do with stats? lol

There’s no denying though that there has been a tremendous growth in the various types of unconventional stats to rate players.

50. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

If only more people thought like you Ian! I certainly do!

51. Danno says:

Stay tuned. Habs are going to rise and and be golden.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

52. The Cat says:

To say ‘one gave the club an ultimatum’ is incomplete and paints him in a selfish light. One usually issues an ultimatum if he believes he’s receiving an unfair treatment.

No one will ever know for a couple of years who came out ahead.

We had two young and developing tenders.

We had to move one of them.

One gave the club an ultimatum to play him or trade him.

One was three years older and was playing well enough to be the starter at the end of the season.

We were offered good value for him and we took it. He is now history.

The younger developing goal tender will have lots of playing time now, to mature and hone his skills.

After 4 months he will have gained his and his team mates confidence.

This team is getting ready to battle all the top dogs in this league.

We will win a lot more games this year for sure.

The enemy better bring their “A” game each night or else!

54. nunacanadien says:

I think when we let Patrick Roy go, that was when we were toast, we’ve been that way since.  We are on a 100 year slide thanks to the successive owners and the crappy GMs.

55. punkster says:

Nice article on Red. Whether you agree with his views or not the man is legendary in the world of sports journalism. I hope he continues to write for many more years and gets to witness another Cup or two for Montreal. He deserves it.

FREE TIMO!