Price will get start against Flyers

The Canadiens kick off a busy week Monday night when the Philadelphia Flyers visit the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., RDS, TSN-HABS, TSN Radio 690). It will be the first of four games in six nights with the Canadiens travelling to Pittsburgh on Wednesday before wrapping up the week with their final two regular-season home games against Tampa Bay on Thursday and the Washington Capitals on Saturday.

Carey Price, coming off a poor outing in Toronto Saturday, will start in goal for the Habs against the Flyers, while Brandon Prust will not dress. Prust, who took part in Monday’s morning skate in Brossard, appeared to aggravate a shoulder injury that sidelined him earlier in the season during the loss to Toronto. Ryan White will take Prust’s spot on the fourth line with Travis Moen and Jeff Halpern. Coach Michel Therrien indicated that Prust will be back in the lineup Wednesday in Pittsburgh.

The lines at Monday’s morning skate were: Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta; Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher; Galchenyuk-Eller-Ryder; Moen-Halpern-White. Defence pairings were: Gorges-Subban; Markov-Bouillon; Beaulieu-Drewiske.

Raphael Diaz skated with his teammates for the first time since suffering a concussion on Feb. 25, but will miss his 23rd straight game Monday night.

“Raphael is following the protocol,” Therrien told reporters in Brossard. “He won’t be part of the Pittsburgh trip, but he’s showing great improvement.”

The Flyers are on the outside looking in when it comes to the playoffs, sitting in 12th spot in the Eastern Conference with a 17-21-3 record. The Habs, who have already clinched a playoff spot, will be looking to bounce back from Saturday’s 5-1 loss in Toronto, in which Price allowed three goals on four shots before being pulled in favour of Peter Budaj.

“On our side it’s frustrating, but we have to turn the page,” defenceman P.K. Subban said after Saturday’s loss. “We have a big game against Philly and we have to get ready for that.”

Therrien said after the game he has no doubts about Price, who will make his 34th start of the season against the Flyers.

“It was a tough night for him, but those things happen in a career,” Therrien said. “He’s a good kid, he cares. But Carey’s had a good season, he has character and I know he’s going to bounce back. I have no doubt about that.”

After Monday’s morning skate Therrien added: “Even the best athletes can have a bad night. The page is turned. I’m confident about him.”

(Photo by Claus Andersen/Getty Images)

Game Preview: Canadiens vs. Flyers, canadiens.com

Flyers-Canadiens Preview, nhl.com

Game Notes, philadelphiaflyers.com

Habs looking to bounce back against Flyers, by Pat Hickey

Awful night for Carey Price, by Pat Hickey

Price’s real test will come in playoffs, by Jack Todd

Is Price the goalie for Team Canada in Sochi? by Stu Cowan

NHL goaltending statistics, nhl.com

Therrien making most of second chance with Habs, by Stu Cowan

Habs No. 3 in nhl.com Super 16 power rankings, nhl.com

Leafs and Canadiens need to step up, sportsnet.ca

Gritty, hard-working Leafs the real deal, torontostar.com

Flyers support coach Laviolette, philly.com

Flyers will get a top draft pick, philly.com

Bryzgalov’s future uncertain with Flyers, philly.com

1. The Dude says:

Hey loonie and the rest of you Price fanatics,I think you should take a couple of steps back and grab a breath then read your reply’s of late…wow!Seriously ,therapy time.Calling fans of the Habs scum and Jack Todd names or going after one of the best posters here’clay’ just because of how they see Carey f Price … really? That’s so Pooched man and I now am embarrassed for you.Do me a fave and slow it down alittle cause other fans from other teams are reading your post and deducing we are all basket weaving over here in HIO because of your blind fanaticism and lack of judgmental skill set.And you can start by realizing that Carey Price absolutely stunk he’s last outing and the whole World seen it…it wasn’t pads nor booze or weed or Halak nor fans or illness nope It was Carey Price having one of his worst showings ever just before the Play-offs against the Laff’s again .And if Price continues to choke in play-off action and ends up packaged out of Montreal will you be leaving the Habs as fans too … My guess is yes!

• Loonie says:

My name calling toward DorvalTony had nothing to do with Carey Price. It was implicitly about him bullying a new poster on HIO.

As for representation of the fan-base. We don’t converse much but whenever I see conversations of yours you habitually become a punch line.

• Luke says:

You are so un-dudelike that pretty soon the moderators are going to ask you to change your name to Mr. Lebowski.

• nunacanadien says:

I agree! Honestly as fans we’ve put up with one rebuild around Price that did not work! We basically threw away a whole team to support Price! And what did he do? Threw away a playoff series after Halak worked hard to get him there! Enough is enough!

2. Propwash says:

Stubbs just tweeted that Diaz is skating with the team and could start playing again this week.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

3. Habfan17 says:

Unlike some, I am not going to bash Price. It was a weird night for him and not a normal performance, but these things happen.

Whay I am concerned about is the way some players seem to play much bigger for the leafs since they have Orr and Mclaren. With the exception of Prust, the Habs did not show that they will not be pushed around and out muscled. I do not mean by fighting either.

Kadri has taken runs at Habs players the last two games and does not pay the price for it. His hits are dirty and no one on the Habs even tried to hit him to let him know it won’t be tolerated. When the smallest players are the ones responding, Gallagher and Boullion, the Habs are in trouble! What is up wit Patches? Is he still hurt? Did the lessons he learned from Cole leave with Cole? Here is a guy who is 6’2″ and according to the media, is a fitness nut who has put on muscle. They say it is sick ehat he can puch on the sled. Why is it he doesn’t hit more or go to the dirty areas? Why is it he usually comes out on the short end of the stick when he is hit? Patches has speed, skill and strength, he needs to play the the top player I believe he is.

Bourque has plyed well and hits, Moen seems to be out of it, Eller is on and off when it comes to hits and he has his best games when he is physically involved.

Pateryn is a big body with an edge. He did not show it when he was up, but he also did not get much of a chance and was probably a little tentative. I like Beaulieu, but I would have Pateryn up to play against teams like the Leafs. Pateryn is physically more mature and used to playing against older players.

So Price had a really tough outing, the team needs to push back when opposing teams try to intimidate them and out muscle them. I hate fighting bt maybe if the Habs did have a player that other teams feared, the little wimps like Kadri, would lose some of their false bravado!

Habfan17

• KenD29 says:

I was hoping to see Moen starting banging a couple of Leaf players and lend a hand to Prust. To my surprise, he did not answer the bell. He has been a big disappointment in my eyes this season. Nice contract extension…. not sure what the rush was in handing it to him. Just like DD… since getting his extension he has been another disappointment.

All About Work Ethic

• Timo says:

Moen is done. I was listening to l’Antichambre last night and I think it was either Vinny D or Darche that mentioned that this could be Moen’s last contract and he is simply thinking about after hockey life and is protecting himself. In light of his play for the past 2 seasons it seems rather plausible.

• Habfan17 says:

I agree, the DD extension is the only questionable thing that Bergevin has done to me. Unless he sees it as abeing easier to trade him with a reasonable contract. I would like to see Galcnehyuk as the 2st line centre next season and Eller as the 2nd line centre. If Naittinen is not ready for the 3rd linem then go get a gritty 3rd line centre and a power forward for the 2nd lIne left wing. I would move Gionta, Plekanec and Gorges if necessary to get these players. No offence to them, they have been great players for the Habs, but Pleks value is highest now and with Galchenyuk and Eller already on the team, and Bournival and Nattinen hopefully ready soon, he along with DD and Gionta can now be moved. The right side is okay with Gallagher, Bourque, Kristo/Leblanc, and Blunden.White.

I like Prust on the 3rd line left side and Patches on the first. They need a solid power forward for the 2nd line and perhaps someone other than Moen on the 4th line.

Habfan17

4. Small_Town_Boy says:

There is NO WAY to have an intelligent conversation about Carey Price in here.

For the record, Floppy Thomas never out played Carey Price in the 2011 playoffs! The D-men bailed Floppy out so many times I lost count (& yes I can count higher than 10 ok).

The Not so great Halak: He plays 4-5 games & has a real stinker. So If Price plays 4-5 & turns out a stinker he is scum? Halak is injury prone. AND people wanted him over Price. How many times has Halak been pulled this season?

You people (U know who U R) have no clue whatsoever!

Monday. 8.26 AM local. Still hate Price for Saturday.

• Mattyleg says:

Never have a bad day at the office, Timo?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Timo says:

I am allowed to. I work 40 hours a week and get paid in a year slightly more than Price gets paid in for one game (or 8 minutes as was the case on Saturday). I am allowed to have bad days at the office. A multi millionaire player isn’t.

• Loonie says:

Is there literally millions of dollars generated in revenue Worldwide from the sale of Timo jerseys, t-shirts and hats?

Salary isn’t linked exclusively to production Timo. It’s just as much about the amount of money a player makes for a team.

• Mattyleg says:

Of course he is.
          Timo, the amount a person is paid cannot reflect itself in performance. The amount a person is paid reflects that person’s value to the organization.

Your logic doesn’t really work, because it would mean that someone who is paid less than you (a teacher, for example) is allowed more bad days at the office than you, and someone further down (a waiter) is allowed to have even more.

And while we’re onto that, who is ‘allowing’ these bad days at the office? Your boss? Carey’s boss allows him the odd BDATO too, and much like your boss with you, if the situation merits it, if CP has too many of them he’ll find out.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Timo says:

Sigh. Of course. You are right. I am wrong. Carey Price good. Timo bad. I get it.

• Mattyleg says:

Ha ha!

Timo not bad.
            Carey not bad.
            Carey human.
            Timo human.

Friends.

(ET, phone home, dammit.)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

6. adamkennelly says:

Start Budaj and insert White into the line-up..shake things up a bit. I would give Moen and night off – since he pretty much does nothing out there anyways.

• Mattyleg says:

Why do things need to be shaken up?
      We’ve won 6 of our last 9 games.
      We’ve lost back-to-back games ONCE this season.

The only thing that needs shaking is the heads of some fans who think that we aren’t the real deal.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• KenD29 says:

loss to the Leafs (one would say a Big loss once again to this team) whom could be a possible opponent come playoff time; loss to the Caps too. And the remaining games see the Habs playing both these teams along with the Pens again. If they drop these games, how good do they look going into the playoffs?!
        What have DD and Pax done of late?! How about Moen?! The team is getting banged around all game this past Sat. and does Moen respond in anyway?!

I would say a subtle shakeup may be in order at least for a period or two.

All About Work Ethic

• Mattyleg says:

I think that humiliating loss is enough of a shakeup for the players.

It’s normal to have a down after clinching.

Things need to be shaken up when we are in a rut. We’re not there yet.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• KenD29 says:

guess we will have to wait and see how the team reacts to this humiliating loss over the next two weeks with big games coming up.
            Again, I would hate to see them drop all 3 and then head into the playoffs.

All About Work Ethic

• Mattyleg says:

Yeah, me too.
            Don’t think it’ll happen though.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• KenD29 says:

except collect a nice pay check for the next 3 years !

All About Work Ethic

7. Mattyleg says:

Hi Everybody!

Joke Todd seems to have stirred the pot again.

I don’t waste my time reading him, and for those of you who did, I recommend you read this instead: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voynich_manuscript

Next Monday, instead of wasting your time with tabloid-quality drivel, you can visit this website: http://gemsofwikipedia.tumblr.com/
    whose links will always lead you to something more interesting and enlightening than Todd’s nonsense.

In other news, deciding whether Carey Price is an ‘average’ or ‘great’ or ‘slightly-better-than-average’ or ‘elite’ goaltender isn’t important. Who cares? He’s our number one, and I never worry about his performance when he starts a game. The most important thing is that I don’t worry when Budaj starts a game now, either.

We’re first in the NE, and second in the East. We wouldn’t be there with Bryzgalov, Rask, Reimer, Varlamov, or Miller in nets.

Enjoy the buzz of fighting for the top spots!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

8. RiverviewCanadien says:

People are still bitching about Price having a crappy game? Sheesh!
    Yeah he sucked, I’m sure he knows he sucked. But how can any fan not be excited for the play-offs, and would rather argue with others on something that is out of their reach?

Price WILL be on top of his game, the team out front WILL still be playing the exciting hockey we have been treated to, the Habs WILL be unbeatable.

GO HABS GO!

PS whoever is in nets for the Habs tonight, gets a shutout. Another great rebound game!

9. Mondou6 says:

Continuing Clay’s comments Price’s stats…

There are currently 10 goalies in the NHL who have (1) faced more shots than Price has faced, and (2) have a better SV %.

I’m happy with having a “top 10″ NHL goalie, but the problem is we are paying Price $6.5M out of a $64M salary cap. As CapGeek says, “It’s a numbers game.” And Price is not worth 10+% of our entire cap. No goalie is worth that much, IMO.

10. Steeltown Hab says:

Time to shake the lines up. Pacioretty – DD – Bourque / Galchenyuk – Eller – Gallagher

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

11. HFL says:

I had a pretty funny conversation with my friend the other night who is a leafs fan. He was basically saying that Habs fans are not very good fans because they are disloyal to their team when they are loosing and that Toronoto fans are better fans. My response is as follows
    Me: by the way i agree with you on the aspect that playing in mtl can be the best place or the worst place to play in the league by far. But the disloyalty thing i think u have confused for passion. I think habs fans are so passionate about this team that when they play good the fans are loving life and are amazing, and if they are doing bad then the fans are mean, critical and just plain negative. But is that a question of them being disloyal, or just irrationally passionate?
    Friend / Leaf fan: true. irrationally passionate still isnt a good thing tho, its obsurd lol
    Me: have u ever been in love?

12. Luke says:

Good Morning folks,

Missed the game Saturday, went out for a super dinner instead. Recorded the game and watched it, basically on FF.
    Good news, the Leafs fans are quiet so far today… Bad news, it won’t last.

I’m not sure what to take away from that game. It’s such an outlier in terms of the season as a whole. The big issue is that the Habs only other real outlier was also against the Leafs.

I’m glad I missed it. I feel sorry for any Habs fan that shelled out top $ to watch that.

As for the Leafs… I see things in their games that should be cause for concern. They are routinely out played. Pinned in their zone for lenghty periods of time and typically out shot. Their goalies have a tendancy to spit 8 foot rebounds into the slot. They are however living off of an unnaturally high shooting%, as Saturday high lighted. Sooner or later the law of averages is going to see their shooting go dry… hopefully in the first round of the playoffs.
    They are definitely a much improved team over the last 8 years. Good for them. Hockey is better when the popular teams are also successful.

Does any one here think that Burly is sober right now?

13. Clay says:

@ Loonie:
    No, I don’t mind answering that at all, but I’ll do it up here, as that thread is getting buried.
    That was a good season by Price for sure. But not Vezina quality. You want to quote numbers? Then look at these.
    As of now, Craig Anderson has a GAA of 1.52 and a save % of .949. That, my friend, is a Vezina quality season.
    In 2011-2012, Brian Elliot had a GAA of 1.56 and a save % of .940. That is a Vezina quality season.
    In 2010-2011, Tim Thomas had a GAA of 2.00, and a save % of .938. That is a Vezina season.
    And guess what? None of these goalies are paid as much as Price is.

__________________________
    ☞ Montreal is the better of these two teams. No excuses for Bruins. Montreal is better.☜ ~ Jack Edwards

• Hobie Hansen says:

i wonder if Elliot and Anderson would have those numbers after 65-70 games like Price plays? Small sample size.

• Loonie says:

Tim Thomas was much better than Price over the last five years. He was also the best goalie in the World over that time period.

Anderson has played 18 games this year and Brian Elliot played in 38 last season.

I thought you were at a point post-Halak where you could have a reasonable discussion about goaltending, guess I was wrong.

• Clay says:

So you don’t dispute the numbers, but accuse me of being unreasonable??? Yeah, you don’t resemble that comment at all.
        You’re right about one thing in particular though – that Thomas was also the best goalie in the World over that time period. And what was his salary again? Because that, my friend, is my entire point. Thanks for making it for me.

• Loonie says:

Clay. You can’t compare an 18, 38 or 40 game season to a 70 game season with any degree of fairness.

• Clay says:

How many did Thomas play again? Answer; 57. Is that enough?
            Let’s cut the BS here Tom, because I need to go to sleep now. ere is my question to you;
            Do you think that Price should be payed more – or even as much as – Tim Thomas makes?
            Think closely, and answer honestly.

• Loonie says:

I’ve said ever since the contract was signed that they gave him a million too much on an annual basis.

He’s overpaid yes. And I’m very happy that they chose to overpay him instead of any of the other goalies we’ve had in our system over the last five years.

• Mark C says:

A few important things to note about the difference between Thomas’ and Price’s cap numbers.

When Price signed, the cap had increased by $7.6M since Thomas’ deal. Worth noting that Price did sign before the new CBA. Also, at the time of the Thomas contract it was a widely held belief that the cap would be dropping the next season (it did not, increased $0.1M).

Thomas signed a 35+ contract.

• habs-fan-84 says:

lol, look at the games played before quoting GAA and SV%

• Loonie says:

No he won’t. Because his heart was broken when Halak was traded and if Price doesn’t deliver MULTIPLE Stanley Cups, Clay and those like him will line up to crucify him.

• Clay says:

Tom, go f*k yourself. This is not about Halak, and you know it. answer the question I asked above – because that’s what it’s about.

I answered it Clay.

It’s very much about Halak for those of you who still haven’t grieved his departure sufficiently.

You aren’t fooling anyone.

• Clay says:

lol, look at the games Thomas played.

14. Steeltown Hab says:

Ryder – Plekanec -Gionta
    Pacioretty – Eller – Bourque
    Prust – Galchenyuk -Gallagher
    Moen – Halpern – White
    ———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

15. Loonie says:

Anyone else think this team would just be a lot better off playing Subban nearly thirty minutes per night now?

Markov – Subban
    Bouillon – Gorges
    Beaulieu – Drewiske

Put that first pairing on the ice for 25-30 minutes.

• habs001 says:

It is amazing that the Habs are 6th in goals against…Subban has had an amazing first all star season…Markov has been great on the pp but is minus 8 and has provided 4 points 5/5…Gorges has been okay but not better than previous years..Bouillon has played above expectations..Drewiske is okay but pretty well most teams have this type of d as their 6th or 7th …Beaulieu has no experience…With Emelin gone and Diaz coming back still pending the above d looks individually not that great for a playoff run…but there may be a few more additions to help out from Hamilton…

• Luke says:

Ugh, that defense looks weak. Has all season.
      They lack a #3 & 4. But we’ve had this conversation already though…
      Even with a healthy Emelin he’s ideally a 5/6 guy.
      He’s our Yushkevich or Danny Markov.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Unfortunately Markov can’t play 30 min a game anymore. I don’t think he even can play 25 min/game regularly anymore. I’ve always felt that the Habs biggest need is a top 2 large defensive D-man who can eat minutes. Unfortunately MB has decided to wait to see if one of kids becomes one.

16. Small_Town_Boy says:

@ Clay:

How many NHL players are actually eraning what they are paid? There are more than Carey Price on his own team!

17. Small_Town_Boy says:

Did Jack Toad even see the 2011 1st round series between Boston & Montreal?

Carey Price had a GAA of 2.11 & a SAV% of .934. The Habs missed tons of open nets. Ryder stopped a sure goal with his glove grab. Montreal was one goal away in game 7 in OT from bouncing the Boston from the playoffs. Montreal could have went to the finals that year. They were the only ream to give Boston any trouble.

What have you done for me lately eh?

• Clay says:

Did you even read his article? Because he mentioned those stats in it.
      But remember – the Habs outplayed and out-shot the Bruins for the most part. As good as Price played – and he was very good – he was outplayed by the other goalie.

• Loonie says:

There’s the hypocrisy right there Clay.

So when one team outplays the other the goaltender’s stats are skewed in that they aren’t indicative of his play?

Shots are shots Clay. It doesn’t matter how your team is playing at the other end, the goalie still has to stop the puck at his.

• Clay says:

I’m not sure what your point is. Thomas’ numbers were better. There is no hypocrisy at all in that, given that I said the Habs played better than the Bruins.

• Loonie says:

There’s hypocrisy in saying that a goaltender’s performance is mitigated by how the team plays in front of him.

That’s bogus.

Did the Habs outplay the Bruins in a 2-1 Overtime loss where the Habs surrendered fifty-one shots to their own fourty-five?

And if the Habs did outplay the Bruins in that game, Price still stopped 49 of 51 shots.

But it wasn’t a good performance, because the Habs outplayed the Bruins in that game.

• Clay says:

Please read what I said – and read closely please. I will quote it again her for you.
            “As good as Price played – and he was very good – he was outplayed by the other goalie.”
            Did you see that? I wrote “he was very good”. So stop putting words in my mouth to further your weak argument.

• Loonie says:

You can can it with the literary direction Clay.

We both know that I understand you said Price was good in that playoff series.

I’m pointing to the hypocrisy in the argument that team play diminishes quality goaltending.

18. Phil C says:

Let leaf fans have their fun. They have not seen the playoffs in almost a decade, yet alone a Stanley Cup since the use of color photography. This must feel like their Stanley Cup. I tell them this must be very exciting for them to beat such a good team after sucking for sooooooooooooooo long.

• nunacanadien says:

I had enough of these Price jokes. I saw one where it said Price was suicidal after he let in 3 goals on 4 shots and went out to get run over by the team bus, but alas it slipped past his legs again….man talk about a head case. Maybe its time since Eller is back to being a head case too, trade our head cases! If they don’t like playing in Mtl. trade them!

19. Skeptical says:

With 7-Games remaining. This is how I see them finishing.

15 Apr – Philly = win
    17Apr – Pitts = Loss
    18 Apr – TB = ??????
    20 Apr – Wash = Loss
    23 Apr – NJ = win
    25 Apr – WPG = win
    27 Apr – Tor = ??????

If Mr. Price can keep the Beach-Ball out of the net. We will have a excellent chance of winning 5-out of the 7-Games.

20. Grabbed The Cup says:

Sure to put a smile on any Hab fan’s face, click for your own good!

You leave me little notes on my pillow. Told you 158 times I can’t stand little notes on my pillow. “We’re all out of cornflakes. F.U.” Took me three hours to figure out F.U. was Felix Unger!

• Cal says:

The moment folks stop drawing attention to or stop talking about it. ;)

• Grabbed The Cup says:

Probably soon, my 14 year old daughter hates him but loves One Direction, and she’s not alone amongst her peers.

• Sportfan says:

When Money and Arrogance starts to warp someone like him the fans usually start to leave and look to other bands and singers. He’s an idiot and nothing good has come out of him in years he’ll be irrelevant soon enough, or a D list celebrity with a reality show trying to keep his career going.

21. Blade says:

Monday morning and I have just finished taking my punishment from the Leaf fans here in Toronto this morning. I agree with Damien Cox on this one…a rout is a rout, no matter how it happens. I will say this; Habs need to play better against teams that are fighting for playoff spots right now. It’s the old story…teams that clinch early are not necessarily playing “playoff hockey” like teams that have to fight their way to the end. Saturday was not the end of the world, but the intensity and compete level needs to be kicked up a notch as an entire team. Price showed up in the early goings against Washington last week and the rest of the team did not. The reverse was true in Toronto. Buffalo? who cares? They were not in it anyways. They have some games to clean it up and they better, or I may have to move from Toronto if the Leafs beat them….which is not necessarily a bad thing, but I don’t feel like uprooting my family right now.

22. derfab says:

The team as whole needs to be smarter for the remainder. Wins matter less than preparedness, first place means squat. Prust, as an example, should not fight at all unless it is against a guy that can actually play. The role players, including Budaj, should get more ice while the smaller players rest and the big guns stay fine tune.

23. L Elle says:

The only people who agree with the Todd article in it’s entirety, are the same posters who can’t get over the other guy, and who still and everlastingly harbor resentment towards Price.

Off to work for me, should be a great game tonight. Go Habs Go!

• Small_Town_Boy says:

Injury prone, backup Halak who?

• Skeptical says:

Shiloh: You’re right on. I wouldn’t have cared if Price had loss to Toronto having played a good game but. Come on. 4-Goals on 5-shots. That’s road Hockey

Like you said. He’s gotta show us he can win a game, should the team not be at their best. we have a good skilled and fast team here. we’re not all that tough but. We make up for it in other ways.

Goal Tending has to be steady or like you said we’re going nowhere. Good post. Glad you stuck up to that L Elle Guy.

24. HabFanSince72 says:

Watching the Masters it struck me that there can’t be many sports where opponents do not respect each other.

In hockey, not only do the opponents disrespect each other, kids are taught from day one that you should hate your opponent and try to hurt him if you get a chance.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

The day golfers start full body contact, the course is lined with boards with players smashing each other into them and and using their clubs as weapons to knock each other over while putting, we’d see a lot less “respect” doncha think? On the other hand, golf’s popularity might survive Tiger’s retirement. :D

There’s no contact in golf, crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

25. Habfan10912 says:

Saturday was the first game I have missed in years. Didn’t even bother to DVR/PVR is. Was given updates throughout the night so I can’t comment on their play or lack of it. Can I be the first to say that tonight is a measuring stick game? :)

• Thomas Le Fan says:

You didn’t miss a thing, trust me. Every game following a bad loss is important. We need to shrug it off and bounce back.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

26. dh says:

Are we sure to end 2nd or 4th? Are the Laffs sure to end 5th or is there still time for them to be true to form and not make it?

We’re paying too much attention to the Laffs.

• RetroMikey says:

Anytime we play the Leafs, I am the first to admit….I get shivers.
      Move forward and let’s avoid the mistakes, hockey is a 60 minute game, even if the team was down 5-0, they can came back before even if Budaj was put in.
      But damn those Leafs! HAte to see all those Leafs fans at work heckling me.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• 24 Cups says:

If the Habs beat out Boston they will finish 2nd. If Boston prevails, then Montreal falls to 4th. Montreal could still finish 5th but only Toronto could make that happen by leap frogging the Habs on the last night of the season.

If Toronto falters, then Montreal could still land up playing Ottawa or one of the New York teams. assuming they finish 2nd in their division.

The Habs could be in a world of trouble if Montreal meets Toronto in the first round. Bad vibes and karma on all fronts. Only Carey could save the team from an early exit.

• Cal says:

Maybe if Carey doesn’t have a bad series will he save the Habs from an “early exit.” ;)

• RetroMikey says:

Excellent analysis….but I would love to play the Islanders if the team finishes 7th.
        Any other team will be a battle whether the Islanders, not easy 1st round opponents for anyone.
        IMO, it will come down to see who the hottest goalie is entering the playoffs.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

27. So many fans fell to their death Saturday night. Thanks for the entertainment, it was some great reading :lol: Now that the cliff is clear, let’s get on with this week.

Whitie in, Moen Out?

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

• RetroMikey says:

Sometimes, entertainment is in fact reality.
      If you think it’s going to be a cakewalk for Montreal when facing Toronto, so be it.
      But I agree, let’s get on with the week and avoid this debacle Saturday night and the 6-0 shellacking the Leafs performed in Montreal previously on February 9.
      I just have to have faith in the team, but it’s so hard!
      Being critical of the team is not a sin.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Habfan10912 says:

When I first saw the hit it looked like a clean shoulder hit. After watching the replay I’m still waiting to see the elbow. I can imagine the confusion of the players.

• 24 Cups says:

What I find strange is the fact that the Columbus player did lower his body on the play which had an impact on the check and the alignment of the elbow and head. Regardless, the ref called a match penalty so there was no doubt in his mind. The play also looks different depending on which camera angle you use.

The other issue is should players even being lining each other up the way Coyle did. I realize it’s part of the game but maybe that has to change.

28. Jimmy9Toes says:

I feel playing the Leafs in the first round would be a big advantage to us, especially if we have a couple of tight one goal games or even some 2 or 3 period OT games. Do you really thing Carlyle will put out Orr or MacLaren in OT of a playoff game? So them basically going with 3 lines for long periods will tire out his top 3 lines, where as we can roll 4 lines all day long.

• habsguy says:

our 4th line, as demonstrated sat night is no match for the laffs 4th line, I would much sooner have McClaren or Orr out there hitting everything that moved and sticking up for their mates then the hitless Moen !!!

29. RetroMikey says:

Make me a believer Carey, make me a believer!
    If the team does well the last 6 games, then….I believe!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

30. Small_Town_Boy says:

It is only 7:50 Am & it has been a long day already. Fiffin Loaf fans so cocky & sure they will destroy the Habs in the 1st round. All I said was “Be careful what you wish for”

31. Loonie says:

Note the hyperbole from Jack Todd when referencing those who supported the decision to keep Price other than himself. Referring to them as people who believed that Price was Roy, Dryden and Plante rolled into one.

In addition, please also note his referencing Price’s good statistics against the Bruins and him prefacing that comment with the remark that the team plays well against them.

So when the goalie has good stats it’s because the team was good in front of him and when he has poor stats it’s because he alone was awful.

If that article doesn’t tell you how much Todd’s analysis is clouded by a personal dislike I’m not sure what will.

Price needs to be better, that’s just about the only accurate statement he made in the entire article.

• Propwash says:

In that case, many posters here parrot Todd.

____________________
      DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Clay says:

Your opinion of his article is fueled by your hatred of Todd, and veneration of Price. I think the article was fair, and accurate.

• Loonie says:

How is one supposed to interpret that article Clay? Would you think after having read that article that Price had been an excellent yet inconsistent goaltender throughout his young career?

The question of Carey Price’s mental toughness is called into question yet there was no reference to him having a Vezina quality season immediately after his having been benched in favour of Jaroslav Halak.

Jack Todd speaks from his bias Clay. I’m capable and often do see and speak about Price’s strengths and weaknesses. Jack Todd isn’t able to see beyond the weaknesses, and he doesn’t care to see the strengths.

Edit: I’m surprised you don’t see the hypocrisy in how he evaluates goaltending and Price as an individual Clay. That’s a shame.

• Clay says:

See Tom, I don’t think that one could argue that he has been excellent by any stretch of the imagination. He has been sometimes terrible, sometimes OK, sometimes good, and rarely great. Overall, that amounts to average.
          As for him having a Vezina quality season – that’s your opinion. But all that aside, he has done nothing to earn the salary he is making. Todd is quite right to point that out, and to say this; “Price will be 26 in August. It’s time for him to bear down and win some games when it matters — or quit pretending to be an elite NHL goalie”
          Right now he is not an elite goalie, but he is certainly paid like one. I would like to see this rectified by Price having a strong playoffs, behind the moist talented team he has yet had in front of him. This doesn’t mean he has to win the cup, but it would be nice to see him outplay the goalies he faces for a change.

• Loonie says:

Are you sure that you don’t have a bias here Clay?

Yes, it’s my opinion that Carey Price’s season following Halak’s departure was Vezina quality. Out of curiosity, how would you rate a season for a goaltender with the following stats?

72 GP
            .923 Save Percentage
            2.35 Goals Against Average
            8 Shutouts

You don’t have to answer, your evaluation of him says everything Clay.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Todd’s job is to fill column inches, fans should support their team. I think that’s how it’s supposed to work. Throwing your players under the bus for a bad game is bush league and childish. Go Habs!

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

• Small_Town_Boy says:

Maybe Todd’s “better” half screams Carey’s name during sex?

32. Maritime Ron says:

Funny. Every time I see Jack Todd’s name and pic, an image immediately appears in my mind of a pyromaniac holding a gallon of gasoline over a smouldering fire with his finger held high checking the wind trying to decide on just the right moment to get the smoke to explode again. All done while smiling.
    Why is that?

33. JF says:

Two weeks left in the regular season.Two weeks to decide whether we finish second or fourth and who we face in the playoffs. The two weeks that just ended were the Habs’ worst of this shortened season. Three regulation losses, in two of which we scored first, the third being Saturday’s stinker against the Leafs. All season the team has found ways to keep winning and has bounced back quickly from the very occasional poor game, but it looks now as though cracks are starting to appear. There are questions about goaltending, about toughness, and about the defence. Saturday’s game made these questions more urgent: goaltending lost us the game in the first ten minutes; the Toronto players (not just their goons) pushed us around at will; and the defence repeatedly broke down, giving up one odd-man rush after another.

In this last segment of the season, we’ll find out whether the Habs have any answers to these questions. I’m not worried about goaltending yet. Price has perhaps not been as consistent as we would like, but he has had stretches of excellent play; and he was not the reason we lost our last playoff series.

Team toughness is a perennial concern, but I don’t think we’ve lost a single game this season because we weren’t big enough or tough enough. People point to the two blowouts against the Leafs in which our players were pushed around; but that only happened once the score got out of hand. One could equally well look at the game we won against the Leafs, in which their truculence did not serve them well. They took penalties and put themselves out of position by taking runs at our players. The Habs have also fared very well against the Bruins this season.

The biggest question mark for me is on defence, where the loss of Alexei Emelin and the continuing absence of Raphael Diaz hurt a lot. Beaulieu is going to be an excellent offensive defenceman and Tinordi will add size and toughness, but I’m not sure either is ready. Both can help, but at the same time, both will get caught in costly rookie mistakes. The Antichambre crew were suggesting the other night that Therrien should turn to Tomas Kaberle, whose experience could help stabilize the defence. Perhaps it’s an option the team should consider, depending on how the next two weeks go.

• Cal says:

Team toughness at the forward position is okay. (Passable)
      On D, it’s another story. Too many puck movers without a balance of hitters. If the Habs have time to make that first outlet pass, all is rosy. The moment they are hemmed in, they resemble a poor junior team that is feeble in its attempts to clear the zone.
      The team looks particularly bad when DD’s line is caught. DD and Gallagher are too small to help the D get the puck out.
      However, this is year one of the MB era. It’s a promising start, but I am no longer expecting this team to make noise in the playoffs without Emelin or his like.

34. PrimeTime says:

This site is home of hypebole and over-reaction for posters to try and argue their opinion. Understandable nothing read here is ever close to the real world of the sport or of our team. Be glad sane minds are in charge!!

35. ed says:

I really like Beaulieu as a future top 2 pairing defenceman in this league. He has the speed and skill to play 1st line power play as well.

But…..he is still learning how to play defence. How to read the flow of the game in front of him. How to position himself properly to defend against skilled, pro forwards. Even in Major Junior this was his weakness. He was NOT dominant defensively in Major Junior, he simply out-skated everyone and used his speed to correct his mistakes.

I think the Habs could have called up Tinordi instead. At this point in the season and going into the playoffs, I like Tinordi’s size, his grit, and his defensive play.

Sorry to say because I have huge respect for Bergevin, but I think Tinordi would have been the better d-man to call up.

36. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Goalies come and go. Right now, Montreal’s goalie is Carey Price. He is grossly overpaid, but so is every other NHLer. He has to live down the ‘thoroughbred’ bull and prove himself. That seems reasonable.
    He has clear talent and is a solid goalie. He sometimes appears to be one of the top goalies in the league. And, like any athlete, he can really stink on a bad night. I saw awful games and stretches from Vachon, Dryden, Laroque, Racicot, Roy, Thibeault, Theodore, Penney, and a host of guys in Habs sweaters. Big deal. This current one is on a first place team, and let’s just see what he does.
    Somehow, there are people who get into “Price lovers”, “Pricebots”, “Price Haters”, etc. These labels are for fools, and every time I see one used, I lose a little respect for the poster. Some very intelligent people who generally contribute good reads here fall into this high school popularity talk. I frankly don’t get it.
    Will Price be a top goalie? Maybe. Is he one now. Sort of. If the team actually gets on a roll and becomes a cup threat, will he pull his weight? Maybe. I hope so. Indications suggest he may be a star of the regular season who doesn’t deliver in the clutch. But there is also the history in the World Juniors – long ago but pretty clutch. This organization has not really put him to the test, with a string of weak teams. Even now, with a winning team, the defence is shaky with the injuries.
    Hockey is all about time. Price is young and hasn’t delivered yet. Time. Or, if you are a genius, find a better option. I don’t see one and this one still has potential, so let’s see how it goes and enjoy the success of the time.
    They’re first in a rebuild year. What problems are there with that?
    I know, you’ll find them…

37. Danno says:

Game Day – And Darth Sends A Flyer – The Art of Darth

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

38. NoTinFoilCups says:

Our goaltending: $8 million for something that can remove water from spaghetti noodles.

39. Clay says:

I don’t get the uproar over the Todd article. He was fair and impartial, saying this could go wither way. Here’s a quote to illustrate my point:
    “For Price, this postseason will be a watershed. He can step into the pantheon and prove the doubters wrong, or he can confirm the sour opinion of those who believe he’s had it all too easy, that he’s too laid back and easygoing to grab the puck in his teeth and lead this team to that elusive 25th Stanley Cup.”
    All true, no?

40. gritandviolenceforthecup says:

Smart commentary by jack todd. The truth hurts. If mt had some ballz he would start budaj more often. Accept price for what he is.. Now on to the important stuff…just watch what will happen to the Habs when they face an aggressive checking/fighting team. If noone wants to admit that the habs back end(and front) is soft , then they should keep ballhuggin price and start him every game and never pull him.

41. stevied123 says:

I am not going to praise price , nor will i bash him , but i am extremely curious as to what the general consensus would be if price really has a very poor post season… Would the price lovers continue to love? Would the ” a goalie only matures in his LATE 20’s ” argument be used by the supporters or would both sides freak out because he just signed for rinne money (rinne has won rounds for the preds, so please no mention of his poor 2013 season , look at the team). As an organization We have bet so much on him.. I think the worst case scenario would be that horrible feeling that we lost the bet.

• Hobie Hansen says:

If Price lets in some absolute stinkers like he did in Toronto during playoffs, there will be a mob scene in Montreal. But if he is edged out and the Habs lose some close games and are bounced in the 1st round, I personally would give him a pass.

Look who’s in front of him, the defense is horrid at the moment! They’re giving it their best but unfortunately Beaulieu and Drewiske aren’t going cut it. Beulieu down the road will be good but not now. Markov is shaky, Gorges and Bouillon are decent but Diaz is tiny. Subban is the man.

So it’s quite possible that the Canadiens defense is going to be overwhelmed and the opposition is going to get plenty of opportunity to take high percentage shots at Price. If that’s the case, Price gets a pass if they are out early.

42. Boomer says:

It seems all the blame is going on Carey every game.
    Vs Washington, First goal Ryder lets Ovechkin go right by him without ANY effort to stop him and Ovie is given time and space uncontested from the hash marks. Does Ryder get any lip?…Nope. “All Carey”. Gorges lets the puck go right by him because he was shadowing Ovechkin on the 3rd goal. Could of cleared it , but nope. Puck is passed across the blueline and shot in (Carey had 4 guys lined up in front of him, 2 caps 2 habs, screening the shot btw), no chance to save it. Again “All Carey”…
    Vs Toronto, 2 of the first 3 goals had TERRIBLE defensive coverage and a leaf is allowed to get a shot off from the slot (the most dangerous part of the ice to score from). Again it’s “all Carey”. Those are only a few examples of the most recent games.
    Could he of stopped those shots?
    Absolutely.
    Was it ALL his fault?
    Absolutely NOT.
    Everyone here would love for him to stand on his head, but let’s not go overboard with the bashing when he’s not the sole person to blame here guys. He IS however the easiest to blame and the most convenient it would seem… even when the team wins

• The Cat says:

I hear you Boomer, but what bugs me is that people always assume other goalies in the NHL have this elite D-corps in their favour. Other goalies have bad d-men too, other goalies have deflected shots and get screened as well. When the team was bad, people said imagine if he played for a good team. Well now the team is good, yet people insinuate the D is bad. The teams’ numbers and Price’s are a bit too opposites right now. Goalies have to bail out their D, and no I dont think this D-corps is so bad that Price has to bail them out that often. Price plays the positioning percentages but to get to the next level, he’s got to learn to scramble a bit or as I like to say, move his arse a little more back there.

• Marc10 says:

I’ll play (and not because Carey is the second coming…)

– The Bruins have a better D
        – The Pens have a better D
        – The Hawks have a better D
        – The Ducks have a better D

Now that we’ve eliminated the teams that are higher than us in the standings, let’s keep this going…

– The Canucks have a better D
        – The defending Stanley Cup Champion Kings have a better D
        – The Blues have a better D
        – The Rangers have a better D
        – The Sens have a better D
        – The Sharks have a better D

I’m of course not looking at stats but putting my own rating as to which Ds I’d rather see in front me if I were Carey Price. You might even want to add a few more teams in there…

Just sayin’… We’re pretty depleted back there. In a couple of years, that could very well change…

43. SteverenO says:

Biggest cocerns

1. The coaching staff does not recognize the fact that our most productive offensive forward at even strength (Gallagher) is not at all productive on the PowerPlay. If we go into the playoffs with Gallagher getting close to 50% of the PP time it will put as a huge disadvantage,(more on this below)

2. Missed opportunities: From here to the end of the year the team should be looking at ways to improve for the playoffs.
    This id the time to experiment, (e.g try using a Forward on the Point with second wave of PP, see how Gallagher does on the penalty kill), try different line combinations, and especially try different defense pairings.
    My personal opinion is that our best lineup would be as follows:

1.Bourque -Plek- Gionta
    2- Pacioretty-DD- Prust
    3: GAlly 27- Eller-Ryder
    4: Moen-Halpern- Gallagher

D=pairings:

Subban- Beaulieu
    Markov- Georges
    Bouillion – Drewiske

I would give Moen a few days off to recharge his batteries and see how Blunden, Dumont , & White, perform in that spot.

Moen will either get energized and come back stronger or we will at least know who can be the 12th forward in the playoffs.

Gallagher going to the 4th line is NOT a demotion, I believe that he will excel and could be the key to making our 4th line not only a minute killer and strong defensive trio, but a line that will create turnovers , scoring chances, and be a real momentum changer.

I am afraid that playing out the season as we are doing right now will lead to an early exit in the playoffs.

Here is more about Gallagher and the PP.

When Gallagher is on with the man advantage , the team scores one goal every 11.85 minutes. When Gallagher is NOT on the ice the powerplay scores once every 6.20 minutes.

It is possible that this in the fault of his linemates , Pacioretty and Desharnais but that is not likely. Earlier their year the two PP lines were almost equally effective. Whether it was Plek/Gionta/Bourque, or Desharnais/Pacioretty/Cole the average were pretty much identical ,we scored a PP goal approx every 7.1 minutes with the man advantage, regardless of which line was on the ice. Bourque got hurt, Cole was traded for Ryder. Ryder took Bourques place on the PP with Plekanec and Gionta and they become MORE productive. Gallagher was given Cole’s spot on the other PowerPlay line and they become significantly LESS productive.

The numbers are UNDEBATEABLE, We can speculate why the PP is UNPRODUCTIVE when Gallagher is on the ice; (I think its apparent that Gallagher is NOT the Person who is best suited for the role of screening the goalie, and it seems that Gallghers excels at creating chances off turnovers and by getting to loose pucks, skills not really required when on the powerplay), the fact is it does not matter WHY, it only matters that Gallagher is currently bringing down our productivity in the powerplay. I can envision a day when Gallagher will be known as the best penalty killer in the league, but I personally do not believe that he will ever be known as an effective power play specialist.

regards,

Steve O.

• Buzz Lightbeer says:

Interesting line combos. Gallagher on the 4th line is a unique idea. Would sort of be like Stephen Gionta with the Devils last year.
      I would still want to see Ryder with Plex again though. They seemed to click pretty good and maybe try Bourque with DD and Max,sort of like a poor mans Cole(the Cole of last year).

• Clay says:

You point out that Gallagher is our most productive offensive forward at even strength, yet you then posit that we should bury him on the 4th line? I’m sorry to sound derisive, but that warrants an eye-roll from me…
      :roll:

• ebk says:

Burying Gallagher on the 4th line would be a silly move, thankfully nothing Therrien would even remotely consider. His line is the Habs most productive during even strength situations, so I’d leave it alone

Moving him off the PP, though is something that should be considered. DD,Max and Little Gally, are producing as many chances on the PP as the Plekanec line but failing to bury their them. Their shooting percentage as a trio is hovering around 10%, where as Plek,Gionta and Ryder are all 20% and up(Ryder is actually at 28.8)
      If it was me, I’d always start Pleks,Ryder and Gionta whenever possible and then evenly distribute the rest of the time between DD,Max,Bourque,Big Gally, Eller and Little Gally until somebody gets hot.

44. Stevie.Ray says:

How many game streak did the Habs go on after the last blow out loss to the Leafs?

• Clay says:

I think we went on a 13-1-3 run after that game.

45. The Dude says:

Jack Todd is a realist in this Carey Price article …ARE YOU?

46. AceMagnum says:

Keep Drewiske trade everyone else.

47. Dulljerk says:

” Price will be 26 in August. It’s time for him to bear down and win some games when it matters — or quit pretending to be an elite NHL goalie.” Jack Todd

Tough talk and article, but I have to admit, I agree with him. Time to shine Mr. Price.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Jack+Todd+Price+next+real+test+will+come+playoffs/8241859/story.html#ixzz2QVVopDqe

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

48. Skeptical says:

A lot of people on her underestimate Toronto. Toronto is as good as we are. What happened last night.We had a Goal Tending problem in the 1st period and Toronto played tough after that and we couldn’t match them in that department and it cost us the game.

4-Goals on 5-shots don’t tell me that’s Goal tending. That my friends was a disaster.

I’m not saying Price is not good but So far in his career with Montreal he hasn’t warranted anything to prove he’s as good as some make him out to be. I’m sure in time we’ll get our answer.

• WindsorHab-10 says:

Toronto as good as we are? I have to disagree. Still can’t understand their winning this year when they’re outshot by a wide margin every single game. This recipe will burn them in the playoffs or at least I hope.

• Dust says:

It didn’t burn Montreal when we went to the Conference finals. I don’t think Toronto will go anywhere in the playoffs and I think Montreal would beat them in a 7 game series. I am just saying teams can win even when they are outshot. The habs did it to washington and pittsburg

49. jedimyrmidon says:

My last thoughts on Saturday’s Tor-Mtl game fiasco:

– I am very glad that the Habs clinched a playoff spot the PREVIOUS game.

– I am sure I am not in the minority here that believe the Habs could have a good run beginning at the end of this very month. It’s up to the team as to whether or not they believe it too, and can elevate their game accordingly.

50. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I’m trying to come to terms with Jack Todd’s column on Carey Price

…Todd is the kind of journalist that too often rubs Me the wrong way, sensationalizing the obvious …conclusions that We in the public have had already long majoritively come to, that are already an easy-sell by the time he writes it

…on Carey, most of what He (Todd) is saying is true, but the sensationalizing of it is completely counter-productive to Our/the Habs’ interest

…putting Carey in the Zero list with Samson/Loria, Armstrong, Rodriguez is really over-the-top

…Carey has to get His shite together, no doubt …but I think His priority is to ‘make right’ with His Team-mates, more than with Us or the press

…let that play-out in the dressing room and on the ice

…this type of cheap kicking a Guy in the media when He is down is crass stomach-churning sensationalism and piling-on

…I can rationalize it with a bit more understanding if Carey followed up stinking out the joint at the ACC with another gruesome bomb at the Bell Centre vs the Phlyers, but I wish there was a public printed Zero List for cheap sensationalist journalists like Jack Todd …because Todd’s name would be as permanent a name on the list as Samson and Loria

• VancouverHab says:

No mystery, HIS:

Jack Todd is a squit who, unable to draw response (or, most wounding of all, even notice) from Bob Gainey no matter how many critical words he wrote in newspapers against the great man, turned to spite.

Still now, any player to whom Bob Gainey can be attached is the target of sour verbiage.

(Mr. Todd, I fear, thinks himself slumming in Sport writing, and indequate–which he certainly is–to meet the legacy of the man he was intended to replace, the illustrious Michael Farber.)

• Frank2468 says:

I read the article and I must say Jack Todd is over the top. I must admit I’m a little on the fence when it comes to Price. Never mind about Halak thats the past we have Price and Budja. When Price is on his game he’s on and great, but when he’s off man he can really stink out the house. There seems to be no middle road with Price. I do remember Carbo wanted to send Price back the Bull Dogs saying he wasn’t ready yet and it seemed that B.G wanted him up and that was it. And to punctuate the point he traded Huet at the time as to say to Carbo play him now you have no number one goalie. Never mind the Price supporters or the Price haters but I bet if Carbo got his way and sent Price back to the Dogs for 2 years it would have made a world of difference for Price. How old was he when he was given the number one position 20 years old I think. And in a city like Montreal thats a lot of pressure for anyone to be the next saviour for the franchise let alone a 20 year old kid. I really hope for Prices sake when playoffs come and he can win that elusive playoff round without having to be pulled, cause if not it could really hurt his psyche and I’m sure people will want him run out of town. On a lighter note did you noticed the picture of when Price was going on the bench when being pulled? Behind him was the trainer speaking in to mic just as Price was going on to the bench. It kind of looked like he was radioing to someone start the car this is going to get ugly. LOL just trying to lighten the mood around here after such a bad game. Have a look at the picture and see for yourself and let your annoyed mood down for a second and I bet you’ll get the same chuckle out of the picture I did. It was such a coincidence that the trainer is speaking to someone on the mic just as Price is going over the bench you have to laugh. Hope they win a really well Monday night. Go Habs

• Un Canadien errant says:

I haven’t read the Jack Todd article yet, HiS, and I usually like his work, but I’m surprised that he would put Carey Price in the ‘Zeroes’ category. Mr. Todd’s politics and views usually line up with mine, so I’m an easy sell, and I seldom have any beef with any of the people he categorizes in either grouping, but in this instance it is undeserved. If he wants to pick out former Habs who are villains, like Mike Ribeiro or Mike Komisarek or at the limit Benoit Pouliot, no one would object, but Carey has been a loyal soldier and has grown before our eyes as a model citizen and Glorieux, and a couple of poor outings, to which he’s already plead guilty, do not merit such opprobrium.

As far as his facile conclusions, I think we have to remember that we HIO nerds have picked apart every aspect of the Habs ten times over, whether it comes to draft picks or trades or opponents or (sigh) line combinations, whereas the general readership of the Gazette does not have our level of geekiness expertise. When he writes an article, it isn’t an error for him to come at it from a generalist angle, and to ‘recap’ rather than be at the forefront of Canadiens-related arcaneness. A frequent poster on HIO took one of the Gazette writers to task recently for what he felt was a poor effort in an article on the Canadiens’ prospects and future. I agreed that we HIO members didn’t learn anything from it, but that we probably weren’t the people the article was intended for, so the criticism might have been off-base.

———————————————————————–

• The Cat says:

Opprobrium? Really?

• Clay says:

But it’s such a great word. We should use it more often, like so; “Stephen Harper’s lies have earned him much opprobrium”. (In this case, opprobrium meaning ‘The public disgrace arising from someone’s shameful conduct’, while I believe Normand was using the term to mean ‘harsh criticism or censure’.)

• Un Canadien errant says:

Thanks for the definition Clay.

Cat, you may not think that being listed in Jack Todd’s Zeroes classifies as ‘opprobrium’, and you may have a point.

• Cal says:

Jack Todd is NOT a journalist. He is a commentator. He writes opinion pieces that have more to do with how his digestion is operating than about reality. His writing is piss poor and he knows hockey like he knows astrophysics. He may have gotten some from a book he read once.

51. habs001 says:

The Habs scoring has been spread out all year…This has worked but it would be nice to have at least one more elite goal scorer on the team..
    approx goal scoring based on a full season
    Ryder 32
    Plecks 27
    Gion 22
    Maxpac 23
    DD 18
    Gallagher 26
    Bourque 25
    Eller 13
    Galch 12

So the reality is (i know do not cap scoring as one poster likes to state) that the forwards(minus the first year players) have pretty well produced what most people would project for them based on past performance and watching them play…So beyond having a year where everything goes in the goal scoring range for the above forwards(MINUS THE NEW PLAYERS) will be about what we see plus or minus 4/5 goals…

52. AceMagnum says:

I’m behind Carey Price 100%!!!

That’s what six or seven pucks will be saying the next game in the first period.

53. Rad says:

No team is an easy match-up in this league. Visiting teams love to play in Montreal, and I’m sure Philly will be in full spoiler mode. Hartnell and Simmonds will be in Price’s kitchen all night long, and the home team has neither the strength nor the snarl to clear the crease. I’m looking for a tough test tomorrow night. Hopefully, Habs will be able to stop the bleeding after the Toronto loss.

54. Un Canadien errant says:

Humble brag:

I can’t believe how close my fantasy hockey team came to not making the finals. It was touch and go there for a while for the two weeks our semi-final lasted, barely managed to easily defeat my opponent in the final couple of days. Losing Erik Karlsson early on really hurt, as did losing Patrice Bergeron lately to a concussion, and Max picked the wrong time to cool off, but somehow I managed to luck into a couple of shrewd moves, and P.K. carried the heavy load.

———————————————————————–

• Clay says:

“barely managed to easily defeat my opponent”
      I’m not sure how that’s possible, but I love that line Normand :D

55. Willy the bum says:

Gonna be an easy match-up tomorrow; Bryzgalov will take a nap in nets.

56. Habitant in Surrey says:

…if You can stomach Sean Avery, whom I can not, here is a George Strom interview of same I persevered through, and found hilarious in spots

57. The Jackal says:

Some posts about Bryz and Philly down below.

Am I the only one who thinks Bryz is the victim of terrible defense? Bryz has not been terrible himself, yeah he has been bad on occasion, but that team in front of him lets him down a lot. He has been the goat many times when he should not have been, IMO.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

58. Sportfan says:

Philly will have to watch out they are in our building with a hungry team to prove that Saturday was a huge off night!

• DorvalTony says:

I don’t care if you write War & Peace length love sonnets to him Price has been a huge disappointment and I doubt he will ever deliver on his promise. A three YEAR losing streak AT HOME in the playoffs? A major choking problem against the Leafs? Wtf? He was given the keys to the city without proper seasoning in Hamilton and it’s still hurting us.

Look for yet another flop and more excuses in the playoffs this year.

“Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”
      William F. Buckley, Jr.

• Loonie says:

You are an unbelievably classless hunk of scum for that.

Attacking a new poster who was encouraged specifically by others to share.

You miserable and pathetic little weasel.

Your inadequacy doesn’t need to be projected onto somebody else. Suck it up and pay for therapy.

• Max says:

Take it easy.It wasn’t much of an attack.They guy was just speaking his mind and it was pretty innocent and true.

• Loonie says:

This is all DorvalTony does and I don’t care how hypocritical that reply was.

Schoolyard bullying crap.

Innocent and true? Are you kidding?

• commandant says:

I agree with Loonie. DorvalTony is a troll, the guy only shows up after losses, and I’ve never, ever, seen him say one good word about this team.

And here he is trying to chase off a new poster who made a very good post, well written and something he has obviously put a lot of thought into.

A community thrives when many posters are encouraged to give intelligent opinions and not stifled by a troll like DT.

In that way, I welcome lesboys, and hope he posts more.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Mark C says:

Agree on all accounts with Commdant. DT is a troll, and I eagerly await more posts by Les Boys.

• Da Hema says:

I didn’t think it was that bad! I don’t think Dorval’s post warrants him being called “scum.” That’s pretty strong, my good man!

• lesboys1993 says:

Price’s playoff record is, in fact, better than you imply. Consider the last 7-game series against Boston, where he was solid, and not the reason why their run ended prematurely. Also, I’m not sure how playing longer in the AHL would have improved his game, particularly during a span of years when we did not have the development and goaltending-coaching infrastructure that we do now.

For what it’s worth: War & Peace wasn’t a sonnet, it was a novel. And William F. Buckley Jr. was to serious political thought what Stephen King was to the novel.

GHG!

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Welcome to HIO…and your first “drive by”! BTW this guy only shows up when Price plays bad…thankfully Price is good more often than he is bad…

• Loonie says:

What DDO said, you’re spinning your wheels with the bottom fifth percentile.

Thanks for sharing and have a good night, hope to read more of your contributions in the near future.

• ZepFan2 says:

Ignore Dorvaltrolly.

I thought your post was excellent and look forward to reading more of them. On that note, why pick on Stephen King?

———————————————————————-
          Ka is a wheel.

“On we sweep, with threshing oar.
          Our only goal will be the Stanley Cup!” – Danno

For Your Life

• The Jackal says:

Why is it Price and not the team? I don’t get your arguments, they make no sense, Price had a stellar save % last time he was in the playoffs, GWG went in off a deflection… jeez.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Saintpatrick33 says:

You’re right the whole team stunk last night it wasn’t totally on Price but when your goalie gives up 3 goals on 4 shots it deflates the whole team. If he sucks bad in the playoffs this year I think the Habs need to consider a change in net sometime in the future. The truly elite goalies shine in the playoffs.

• H.Upmann says:

On a different topic than Price: I enjoyed Stu’s article(s) about Therrien’s second chance. I love that sh*t about comebacks. Also really dig his belief in the Cube despite being the underdog. Hope he makes the most of this second chance. Life doesn’t give too many of those, so I’m sure he’s enjoying it !

• Mattyleg says:

Good post, LB.
      Keep ‘em coming, look forward to reading ya.

Oh, and ignore certain posters here such as the ding-dong who responded to you first up above. Nothing constructive or thought-provoking to offer except a glimpse into the underbelly of humanity.

Catch you soon!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• JF says:

Excellent, insightful post. People who routinely bash Price after a bad game or a loss should take a look at some of the teams that do not have a good goaltender. Look at Philly, with their merry-go-round of tenders over the past few years. It seems now that they actually had a good starter, if they’d only had the wit to recognize him and the patience to let him develop. Instead they shipped him off to Columbus. Or how abut Tampa? Steve Yzerman has spent a boatload of draft picks plus a top-scoring rookie on goaltending in the past year alone. Tampa now has two goaltenders, neither of whom they can be certain will be good enough. I’d rather have Price.

• Da Hema says:

Welcome lesboys! Can’t say I agree with your Dryden analogy, but good to see ya here!

• jedimyrmidon says:

I can only reiterate the thoughts of [most] other posters here: welcome! Looking forward to reading more of your thoughts.

• Clay says:

Very erudite post. Well said lesboys1993.
      I think it’s too early to invoke the name of Dryden and Price in the same sentence, but you make a good, well constructed argument that is worth consideration.
      Welcome aboard, and please ignore the trolls.

59. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

“Bryzgalov’s future uncertain with Flyers”…what an understatement. Looks like they might be in salary cap trouble next season. Maybe open for a deal in the off season…trade a young D-man for toughness?

60. lesboys1993 says:

Thanks all for your interesting and engaging comments on my post on the last thread! Maybe I’ll show up more often ;)

In the meantime, in a spirit of thanks, I give you the Rocket giving a Leaf the treatment and subsequently owning Sean Avery:

61. Loonie says:

It really is a shame that Jaro Halak has to be brought back into the goaltending question in Montreal. Poor guy can’t even hold down the starting job in St. Louis where they’ve surrendered the second least amount of shots per game over the last three years.

Beat out by a below average journeyman and rookie. Glad we kept the right goalie.

• Clay says:

In fairness, he usually only gets brought up by people like you, Tom. I never mention him, but I wish people would STFU about him, or, if they must invoke his name, at least show him the proper respect for how he played for this team. He deserves better.

62. HabFan in Edmonton says:

Last night’s game sucked and Carey Price had a brutal game but it’s one game. I have no doubt Carey can do it in the playoffs. He led Canada to a world junior gold, probably the last time Canada had a dominant performance by a goalie at the world juniors. He led the Habs farm team to the Calder Cup in a dominating performance. It takes NHL goaltenders a while to fully mature and he is still pretty young although certainly not inexperienced. His performance in the playoffs this year will say a lot.

• naweed235 says:

I hope you are right and I haven’t really watched Carey before he made it to the NHlL so I can’t base my self on what I haven’t seen. What I have seen though, has been above average goal tending at times, brilliant at others but a goalie who seems to lack consistency when the games matter most…

• LizardKing12 says:

Price is still very young for a goalie. It isn’t always easy to remember because he has been playing with the Habs since 07 but he started playing in the NHL at 20 years old. That is very uncommon for goalies, most start around 23-24 and some even later. Lundqvist played his first season with the Rangers at 23. Rinne was 26 when he first became a starter in Nashville. Quick was 23, Miller 25, Backstrom 28, Hiller 26, Kipper 27. Goalies starting their careers at 20-21 years old is the exception rather than the rule.

• beliveau4 says:

I wonder why Carey is always switching to new equipment all the time? New pads, new gloves, new masks interchanging all year long! Would like to see him get superstitious and stick with equipment with good ju ju! I raised a goalie and he struggled whenever he got new equipment. I know he does donate a lot of stuff for charity but c’mon man, break in some stuff, get comfortable in it and wear it out till you squeeze every last drop of ju ju out of them!

• LizardKing12 says:

LOL yeah it is a bit out of the ordinary I guess. I don’t follow any other goalie closely enough to know if this is just the new norm in the NHL or if it is specific to Carey. From what I heard he wanted to break these pads in for the playoffs, better now than when the playoffs begin I guess!

• commandant says:

Due to Price’s size, he puts a lot of wear and tear on his pads and wears them out quickly. This is true of a lot of the bigger goalies in the NHL like Rinne, Bishop and others too.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I think the old leather equipment was more bomber, and you could last a whole season with them. The new lightweight materials and foams they use nowadays must break down pretty quickly, meaning a goalie needs to refresh his equipment regularly.

I did agree though that the timing of this breaking-in period was odd, coming in a ‘big’ game against a divisional rival. He probably thought that since the playoff spot was in the bag, he could move on to this. I think we all would have liked to have input on this.

“Carey, think about it…. Hockey Night in Canada… The belligerent Leafs…. Don Cherry….”

• John Frodo says:

You gotta change sometime, and just before the playoffs would seem to be the best time. Otherwise why do we play all these rookies before they have NHL experience?

• chinahab says:

He’s 25/26. That’s not that young. If he were playing the way he’s being paid to play (as an elite goalie), the Habs could be leading the conference. Right now he’s too inconsistent.

63. Propwash says:

Somebody posted a VERY insightful comment about Price on the previous thread.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

64. HabFan in Edmonton says:

On a somewhat brighter note, Nashville loses again. They are really tanking as they have no goal scorers left.

65. Small_Town_Boy says:

What, Therrien knows more about Carey Price’s abilities than the HIO Clan. No way!

66. gritandviolenceforthecup says:

second! Wow my account works behind a proxy server lol

i play nhl13 on the xbox360, i know more about the sport than the avg hio poster

67. L Elle says:

You’re exactly the kind of poster I was talking about. ;)

Keep telling yourself Shiloh, that Price is a zero, if that’s what makes you happy.

I’d love to stay and duke it out with you, but I have a life other than hating Price. Have a nice day.

68. Skeptical says:

Habs missed a lot of open nets and price left a lot of net open.

69. habs001 says:

Habs have better goaltending,and their forwards 8-13 are better and the d is more mobile but the top 7 forwards are pretty well equal…

70. nunacanadien says:

Price has been the constant downer since he’s been called up. He let us down during Gainey’s rebuild. He let us down during Gauthier’s rebuild, and sure enough he’s letting us down during Bergevin’s rebuild. Is there something wrong with Price that Montreal cannot fix? Maybe a real world situation would wake up Price ala Ryder. You want to be lazy and become a head case and cost the team games? Get traded like anyone else! Enough of this hand holding. We want a cup. We had enough.

71. mrhabby says:

and its been all Prices fault right…

72. The Jackal says:

Lol… that was sarcasm.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

73. Cal says:

The question is how often did you and nuna and dude vote ?

74. LizardKing12 says:

Not all of Price’s critics are trolls, the same way that not all fans who support Price are blind fanatics. Price has given fans reason to have some doubt but you can’t not acknowledge that he has also given us lots of reason to believe he can be one of the top goalies in the world.