Price will get start against Flyers

The Canadiens kick off a busy week Monday night when the Philadelphia Flyers visit the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., RDS, TSN-HABS, TSN Radio 690). It will be the first of four games in six nights with the Canadiens travelling to Pittsburgh on Wednesday before wrapping up the week with their final two regular-season home games against Tampa Bay on Thursday and the Washington Capitals on Saturday.

Carey Price, coming off a poor outing in Toronto Saturday, will start in goal for the Habs against the Flyers, while Brandon Prust will not dress. Prust, who took part in Monday’s morning skate in Brossard, appeared to aggravate a shoulder injury that sidelined him earlier in the season during the loss to Toronto. Ryan White will take Prust’s spot on the fourth line with Travis Moen and Jeff Halpern. Coach Michel Therrien indicated that Prust will be back in the lineup Wednesday in Pittsburgh.

The lines at Monday’s morning skate were: Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta; Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher; Galchenyuk-Eller-Ryder; Moen-Halpern-White. Defence pairings were: Gorges-Subban; Markov-Bouillon; Beaulieu-Drewiske.

Raphael Diaz skated with his teammates for the first time since suffering a concussion on Feb. 25, but will miss his 23rd straight game Monday night.

“Raphael is following the protocol,” Therrien told reporters in Brossard. “He won’t be part of the Pittsburgh trip, but he’s showing great improvement.”

The Flyers are on the outside looking in when it comes to the playoffs, sitting in 12th spot in the Eastern Conference with a 17-21-3 record. The Habs, who have already clinched a playoff spot, will be looking to bounce back from Saturday’s 5-1 loss in Toronto, in which Price allowed three goals on four shots before being pulled in favour of Peter Budaj.

“On our side it’s frustrating, but we have to turn the page,” defenceman P.K. Subban said after Saturday’s loss. “We have a big game against Philly and we have to get ready for that.”

Therrien said after the game he has no doubts about Price, who will make his 34th start of the season against the Flyers.

“It was a tough night for him, but those things happen in a career,” Therrien said. “He’s a good kid, he cares. But Carey’s had a good season, he has character and I know he’s going to bounce back. I have no doubt about that.”

After Monday’s morning skate Therrien added: “Even the best athletes can have a bad night. The page is turned. I’m confident about him.”

(Photo by Claus Andersen/Getty Images)

Game Preview: Canadiens vs. Flyers, canadiens.com

Flyers-Canadiens Preview, nhl.com

Game Notes, philadelphiaflyers.com

Habs looking to bounce back against Flyers, by Pat Hickey

Awful night for Carey Price, by Pat Hickey

Price’s real test will come in playoffs, by Jack Todd

Is Price the goalie for Team Canada in Sochi? by Stu Cowan

NHL goaltending statistics, nhl.com

Therrien making most of second chance with Habs, by Stu Cowan

Habs No. 3 in nhl.com Super 16 power rankings, nhl.com

Leafs and Canadiens need to step up, sportsnet.ca

Gritty, hard-working Leafs the real deal, torontostar.com

Flyers support coach Laviolette, philly.com

Flyers will get a top draft pick, philly.com

Bryzgalov’s future uncertain with Flyers, philly.com

1. Fransaskois says:

Seeing some discussion about Edmonton’s s*** show going on across the Hab’s interweb. Do the Canadiens have what it takes to land an Eberle, Yakupov or RNH? Looks as if Edmonton would be looking for roster players specifically: Power Forward, Top 4 Dman (Puck moving or defensive), Goalie, quality bottom six players, #2 centreman. Basically every spot on their roster needs improvement. What’s reasonable?

2. Habilis says:

Holy crap. Explosions at the finish line of the Boston marathon.

WTF is wrong with people?

3. joshua94k says:

1n 1946, Montrealers were able to witness two iconic sports legends. Maurice Richard and Jackie Robinson. Both were young in their careers. Richard scored 7 goals in 9 play-off games that Spring to lead the Canadiens in their Stanley Cup victory.

Jackie Robinson was the International League’s MVP and led them to their championship.

Both fought racism and were heroes and inspirational role model for fans everywhere.

“I want to kill somebody cutting across the blue line and I want to score the goal and celebrate. And I’ll do it by any means possible to win a hockey game. That’s how I feel playing there (the Bell Centre). I am not sure I have that feeling anywhere else.” – PK Subban

4. Mattyleg says:

Blep

—Hope Springs Eternal—

5. Old Bald Bird says:

Nuna, I have to congratulate you. You suck us in every time. Including me now, I guess. You are the greatest.

6. Habilis says:

Funny thing about Saturday night, if the Habs had won, I bet there would be many more posts about how the Bruins appear to be falling apart.

Two straight games needing only one point to clinch and they’ve lost both in regulation. Last loss to the woeful Canes.

People keep saying that the loss to Toronto put us closer to a first round match-up with the Leafs. I disagree. That win basically locked the Leafs into the 4/5 match-up whereas the Habs still have the inside track to take the 2 seed. I know that the B’s have an easier schedule, but the way they’re playing right now, I’d still bet on us.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Let’s not forget that the Sens are only 3 points behind TO and have Anderson and Michalek back now, so 5th isn’t necessarily a lock for the Leafs either. But hey, the potential of a Leafs-Habs match up is a good news story…can’t really blame TSN and CBC for playing it up.

7. LizardKing12 says:

From what I’ve heard most goalies prefer to face a lot of shots because it keeps them focused and in the game. I took a look at Price’s stats this season in games where he faced 30+ shots and games where he faced 23 or less shots and this is what I found:

In 9 games this year where Carey has faced 30+ shots he has a SV% of 0.936 and is 7-1-1. In the 9 games he has faces 23 or less shots he has a SV% of .892 and is 5-3-1 in those games.

Not sure what to make of it just thought it was interesting.

• Ali says:

always harder to keep your focus in a game where you’re not facing many shots. It’s a mental test for a goalie. One area Brodeur always excelled during the trap era with the super defensive Devils.

• LizardKing12 says:

Could add Dryden to that list as well, always seemed to keep focus despite playing behind one of the greatest defenses in history!

Throughout his NHL career Price has always been peppered with shots if I’m not mistaken he’s faced an average of 30 shots a game in most of the previous seasons. This is the first time Price has played on a team that doesn’t routinely give up over 30 shots a game. Last year through 33 starts Carey faced 30+ shots 17 times (two of which were 40+ shot games) and he faced 28-29 shots 4 times.

• LizardKing12 says:

Seriously man your comments get really old! Do you ever post about anything else?

• sane hockey fan says:

The purpose of his posts are so that you will respond in exactly the way you just did. He goading you into a response, and people fall for it constantly. If he never got a response he would eventually get bored and move onto something else.

• LizardKing12 says:

Yeah that is very true, I’ll have to make a better effort not to reply to these nonsense posts!

• The Jackal says:

You know Dude, I think you actually like Price, you’re just a loud critic that shows him tough love. I wouldn’t call you a hater or troll :D
        Same with Shiloh.

It’s fine criticize Price, and he was bad on Saturday, but he is usually solid and reliable, not acknowledging that is what gets people going.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

8. Grabbed The Cup says:

P.K. Subban going top-shelf in 1999.

You leave me little notes on my pillow. Told you 158 times I can’t stand little notes on my pillow. “We’re all out of cornflakes. F.U.” Took me three hours to figure out F.U. was Felix Unger!

9. Small_Town_Boy says:

nunacanadien says:
    April 15, 2013 at 2:13 pm Price has done this to us before. Remember the last time Price played in the playoffs? He basically went up to the plate and struck out each game, four up and four down.

As I can’t recall Price’s last playoff he was 2.11 & .934

• The Jackal says:

Who is nunacanadien?

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• There are three or four members here who you never acknowledge. He’s #1. They look for response, they get their rocks off upsetting others. They bring nothing to the conversation.

When it comes to Carey Price you just need to look to your right at the poll, and then times that by 100 to see how much support he gets in Habs world.

We all know how great Carey can be. He’s not playing like he did in the past, but you know he can, that’s why we support him. He has everything that every team in the league is looking for.

I hear the number one complaint every day “he’s too calm”, well here’s the thing. Every puck that comes at him is either frozen (no rebound) or get6s directed to the corner.

Remember past Habs goalies and making the big kick saves into the slot, and then having to dive all over the place to save that second and third shot. Those goalies brought those saves on themselves. I’ll take Carey and his perfect positioning, and his perfect rebound control, and his attitude that he is not better than everyone else and just wants to win for his team.

OH crap I was trying to not talk Carey today, but everything I say is not news, only those who don’t get it refuse to believe.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

10. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Anthony Mantha: ranked 25th in the ISS rankings. Plays in the Q, 6’4 and a 50-goal scorer. What’s not to like??

11. Small_Town_Boy says:

Wow Carey Price must have sleep with many of your partners eh?

Yeah, it must be hard for you hearing them scream Carey, Carey OH CAREY once a month eh?

12. Grabbed The Cup says:

Because you can never watch it enough…

13. Small_Town_Boy says:

Where wa nunanut when the Habs were on the 18 unbeaten streak?

14. habstrinifan says:

There is a post today categorizing some posters as knowing nothing about hockey. Maybe I am one of those who do not know about hockey etc.
    I read the debate re Price. I dont have a seat in either camp.. one way or another. I think Price is among the top 8(maybe 5) or so goalies in the League. And I do think Jack Todd is right.. he wrote a clear and evened article stating that Price will have to give ‘above top 8 goaltending’ in this year’s playoff to cement his Elite status. I see nothing outrageous in that statement.

On the other hand I saw where someone posted that Saturday’s game was not a so called BIG GAME especially since the team had clinched a playoff a few days earlier.

Well I wasn’t born and bred here in Canada.. so what do I know..I am only a late-comer to Canada’s hockey culture and the associated rivalries.. but if there was a question on the citizenship test as to whether a game between the HABS and the LEAFS is a big game. I would have ticked yes. Guess I am not as Canadian as I thought nor know as much about hockey as should.

• LizardKing12 says:

Since the leafs are so adamant about calling this a rivalry I guess it is technically always a big game. Although I’m sure there are quite a few posters who would agree with me when I say the Leafs haven’t really been a rival for the Habs since the late 60s.

When you look at this game in terms of standings it was by no means a must win. Not saying it isn’t an important game, it is because we could potentially face the Leafs in the playoffs, it just wasn’t a must win. A game like the 2-1 win against the Bruins on the other hand was more of a must win because the Bruins are our main competition for the division title, they have a softer schedule in the last 9-10 games than the Habs did and it was a 4 point game. That was a must win, and Carey was great that night.

• Loonie says:

What Jack Todd did was make a hypocritical distinction. He essentially said that when your team outplays the other and you’re good, it’s because of the team in front of you.

But when you lose as a goaltender the pucks that went by you have nothing to do with the team in front of you.

That is either a very novice point of view or a purposely skewed view of goaltending in an effort to paint Price in a negative light. Something I’d like to add that Jack Todd has done with remarkable consistency since Price’s second NHL season.

• bwoar says:

I agree with you but for one thing: Ken Dryden said it best in the _The Game_ regarding the Habs/Leafs (I’m paraphrasing): the rivalry is over, the Leafs killed it.

The idea that Montreal and Toronto are rivals dates back to Original 6 hockey when the Leafs actually were a competitive team. Dryden’s comments come around the tail end of the 70’s, and growing up watching the Habs since about ’79 or ’80 I don’t really get up for Leafs/Habs anywhere close to Boston, or Philly, or in modern times, well, Boston again.

So I can certainly see why people don’t consider playing the Leafs as a big game. It’s big for HNIC & Don Cherry, LLC; it’s big for those who still watch “Forever Rivals” and get choked up; it’s big for TSN TORONTO TYPES. But for my money there are other teams I love to hate a whole lot more.

Now, NOT saying anything regarding your post, but just as a facetious aside, I think reading _The Game_ should be required for citizenship, or, at least for posting on a hockey forum of any kind. It’s that good, and if anyone hasn’t read it yet, please do immediately.

(Followed by Jean Beliveau: My Life In Hockey a close #2 )

“thoroughbred”

• habstrinifan says:

Just as an aside.. I read it the year it came out and it is now sitting hardcover on my shelf.

Maybe my reaction is totally out of whack. But I am so angry (maybe cause I lived in Toronto for 35 years) that if I were anywhere near the FORUM and somebody told me “it was not a big game (given the current season)”, I wouldnt react calmly.

And if for one moment , I were to believe that the HABS (coaches mngmnt; players; folks on AntiChambre etc) are telling themselves it was not a big game and not facing the music and preparing themselves to deal with similar in the future.. then it does nothing to calm me down.

• LizardKing12 says:

The Habs motto this season is NO EXCUSES, and it seems to me that they have really taken it to heart. I highly doubt there is one person in the entire organization saying it wasn’t a big game and it doesn’t matter. This season’s version of the Habs doesn’t take well to losing and have only lost back to back regulation games once all year. I’m willing to bet that the team is thoroughly embarrassed by their outing on saturday night and will come out hard tonight.

15. savethepuck says:

I will be some glad when the puck drops tonight and I don’t have to read about the Leafs game and how much Price sucks. It’s getting very old. My only comment about the game is that he did indeed suck and put his team in a terrible position with an uphill battle to win the hockey game. By saying he sucked, it is far from saying he sucks though. I am a huge supporter of his and there’s nobody else I would want as the Habs starting goaltender. Based on today’s poll being 73-27% in support of fans faith in Carey for the playoffs and the poll on March 29th after Price was pulled against Boston “do you agree with Price instead of Budaj against the Rangers” being 81-19% in Carey’s favor, it is telling me that 80% of our fans appreciate who they have in net, but man what a loud 20% we have.
    It’s a shame that I feel like I can’t come on here and make an honest critique of how he played, because if you say anything negative, you know you are going to get replies like “yeah he sucks”, “I wish we could get rid of the bum”, “buy him out”. It is also a shame that Budaj is playing solid goal for us lately, but it makes it hard to even pay him a complement after he plays well, because you know it will be followed by “yeah Price sucks, Budaj should be the starter”.
    There are so many vocal Price bashers on here that the rest of us feel like we have to defend him because we think he is getting a raw deal, and don’t think he deserves it. I am sure nobody is kidding themselves here about the stinker Carey gave us Saturday night, but it’s a shame we can’t give our honest opinion due to a loud minority.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• nunacanadien says:

Price basically deflated the whole season in four shots. Thank you Carey Price for destroying the hard work of Bergevin!

• christophor says:

The whole SEASON! ha!

• Propwash says:

WTAF are you talking about?

____________________
        DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Small_Town_Boy says:

@ nuna:

Your comment is mentally deficient

• Grabbed The Cup says:

Imbecile.

im·be·cile
        [im-buh-sil, -suhl or, esp. British, -seel] Show IPA
        noun
        1. Informal. a dunce; blockhead; dolt.
        2. Psychology . (no longer in technical use; considered offensive) a person of the second order in a former and discarded classification of mental retardation, above the level of idiocy, having a mental age of seven or eight years and an intelligence quotient of 25 to 50.
        adjective
        3. Informal. stupid; silly; absurd.
        4. Usually Offensive. showing mental feebleness or incapacity.
        5. Archaic. weak or feeble

Please excuse me, I just read the whole definition I posted and clearly I erred… I should have called you an idiot.

• HardHabits says:

I gotta hand it to you nuna. Just when I think you’ve said the stupidest thing possible you go and outdo yourself. Good job.

• Flower Power 10 says:

nunacanadien is not much of a Habs fan!! Carey had a bad game so get over it. It does not ruin a whole season. Carey has carried this team at times this season and in the past. Carey will bounce back and be just fine!! Go Habs Go!!!

• habstrinifan says:

“… It is also a shame that Budaj is playing solid goal for us lately…”
      Why? Budaj has done nothing but be a loyal soldier for the team. He obviously has honed his skills while sitting. Why drag him into the conversation so negatively.

• savethepuck says:

You are not reading it correctly:
        ” It is also a shame that Budaj is playing solid goal for us lately, but it makes it hard to even pay him a complement after he plays well, because you know it will be followed by “yeah Price sucks, Budaj should be the starter”.
        Not close to how you are taking it.
        I was complimenting him but also saying that any positive comment about him is automatically turned into a bash Price opportunity.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• habstrinifan says:

I like guys like Budaj, who are great examples of quiet unheralded work ethics. I know what you meant but there is unnecessary ambivalence in your ‘no malice intended’ conundrum. Solution: Let’s leave him out of the fray and be positive that we do have a real ‘backup’. When you watch Budaj play this year you can see this guy has put a ton of effort into his craft to where he is now technically superior as far as angle positioning and staying upright to the level he was when he came to the HABS.
          I did not get to see the Toronto game (not willing to look at tapes LOL), but I am excited that we do have him to fall back on.

16. HNS says:

Hopefully Price won’t shit the bed again…..

• LizardKing12 says:

Come on man be realistic, you are acting as if Price routinely plays like he did in Toronto and it just isn’t anywhere near true. His SV% after games where he had a SV% under .900 this year is somewhere around .930.

• nunacanadien says:

Price has slumps. Don’t forget Budaj saved Price’s butt the same way Halak did and Price basically enjoys the stats where Budaj comes in and saves his butt! Enough of this! Price should know better by now not to throw the season away!

• christophor says:

See my comment below to nuna. It applies equally to you. While I agree with what you said, I actually come here to talk about other stuff.

• in habs we trust says:

I wish Price haters would let the rest of know who we would replace
      him .The are 6 or 7 teams that need goaltending.Maybe the goalie factory can make us a goalie who has no flaws!