Former Hab Zednik in hospital after skate cut

Former Canadien Richard Zednik is in stable condition in a Buffalo hospital this morning after a scary incident on Sunday night.

Zednik’s throat was slashed by teammate Olli Jokinen’s skate blade as Jokinen was falling to the ground.

Zednik immediately fell to the ice with blood spurting from the gash. Thankfully, he was able to get up and skated quickly to the bench where trainers were able to slow the bleeding, a move that likely saved his life.

The game was delayed for 15 minutes as officials decided whether or not to finish the game. The Panthers flew Zednik’s wife, Jessica, to Buffalo so she could be with her husband.

1. Les-Habitants says:

Get better Zednik!
    He left Montreal on his own terms, and when he left I think every fan wished him well and remember him for what he brought to this team.

Here’s hoping to him making a full recovery, and helping the panthers into the playoffs this season.

2. Woah_Dana says:

Stable condition. Thank God.
    Poor guy, I can’t even imagine what was going through his head.

Get well, Zeddy!

GO HABS!
    ~Sergei Kostitsyn, marry me!!

3. habfan53 says:

Thankfully it looks like he will recover. I won’t say fully because after the McLaren hit I don’t think he was ever the same.

Seeing him skate to the bench UNAIDED reminded me of both Donald Audette and Saku.

While watching the TSN report some jerk reporter asks Jokinen how he feels I don’t thinkI need to repeat his answer.

Good Luck Richard I am hoping for a full recovery and wish to see you back playing next year

4. Ed says:

Good luck Zednik, and get well soon. You have been a good player in the NHL, and I hope that you can resume it again soon. It was amazing to see you skate to the bench under your own power. That shows what a strong individual you are, and I am sure you will make a full recovery.

5. moser17 says:

Another neck cut in a Buffalo game. Bad spirits. TSN and other networks tastefully cut the more shocking footage, which was good, I think, because what they did show gave me a good look. I hope he’s okay. Just like Malarchuk, he didn’t wait for the trainer and skated right to the bench himself, and just like Malarchuk, that probably bought the time needed to help him recover.

6. Shobud says:

I sure hope everythink is OK for him I always like Zadnik as a player..It must be a hell of a scare for that to happen

7. Corio says:

Glad to hear he is ok, scary stuff i.e Malarchuk

I find it remarkable that he was able to get up and skate to the bench. He saved a few valuable seconds there all by himself. It was probably best that he didn’t have time to comprehend what was truly going on in terms of the life and death situation.

The Original 24 Cups

9. TC says:

Seeing the incident, makes me wonder why all the players aren’t wearing some form of neck guard, or neck protection. Having watched the clip, this could have been much worse.

Thankfully, Zednik had the presence to skate towards the bench. Sadly, I felt that Zednik was just reaching his full potential with the Habs before the McLaren cheap shot. He never to me, at least, took that next step. However, he was always a good Hab, and I wish him well during this difficult time.

T.C.
    tc.denault@habsworld.net

10. HABZ 24 says:

wow, clint malarchuk again.hope zeds ok.

11. the_larry says:

That was by far the scariest thing I’ve ever seen on live tv. Nevermind the fact I’ve always liked him as a player, as a human, I was sick to my stomach worried that he might not make it. Im glad to hear that he is doing fine after the surgery.

In case anyone hasn’t seen the video of it (as it was not on national tv) here is the youtube link to it.