Former Hab Skrudland is still a riot

Former Canadien Brian Skrudland has always been an entertaining guy. In an interview with Cory Wolfe of the Saskatoon Star-Phoenix:

"(Sweater) numbers meant very little to me until high school. Even after that, when I went to Montreal, they said, ‘What number would you like? These are the numbers are that available,’ and they started in the high 30s. I said, ‘Throw one at me.’

"I threw on 39. It definitely wasn’t my favourite. . . . There was an oddity to wearing that number. I think it was (Bob) Gainey who said, ‘Now that we’ve gotten rid of (goaltender Cristobal) Huet, you’re no longer the slowest guy to wear 39.’ "

1. Big Bird says:

This article was emailed to me today about the folks who run CW. Real eye opener.

2. HabsColor says:

Honestly, O’Bryne DO need Sitting and Watching (learning).

He has been showing some dangerous spots for the past games. He needs to watch Markov and Komi.

3. Habsrule1 says:

I’m good with that. Brisebois has been very solid. I love O’Bryne but it might help him to sit and watch a game.

“I can’t hear what Jeremy(Roenick) is saying because my Stanley Cup rings are in my ears” – Patrick Roy

Go Habs Go!!

Habsrule

4. nightmare_49 says:

RDS – Carbo is taking care of old roommate – O’Bryne sits Saturday.

5. Sami says:

Now there’s the pot calling the kettle black…..

6. cautiousoptimist says:

Wouldn’t surprise me in the least. CanWest has been trying to control the Gazette’s content for years now. From CWA Canada:

The Gazette violated its obligations to staff under its collective agreement with the Montreal Newspaper Guild when the management tried to quell dissent that flared in early December 2001 against the imposition of “national editorials” by CanWest Global’s owners in Winnipeg, the Arbitrator ruled.

The Montreal Guild represents 297 employees at The Gazette, including 159 in the newsroom.

CanWest Global had planned to run identical “national editorials,” as often as three times a week, in more than a dozen of Canada’s largest newspapers which it acquired with a $3.2-billion takeover of the Southam newspaper empire. The new owners’ drive to centralize opinion was condemned by journalists as an unprecedented attempt to reduce the breadth of public debate and serve narrow corporate interests. In protest, dozens of journalists withdrew their bylines from Gazette stories for two successive daily editions in early December 2001.

The protests ended — as did several jobs as unhappy employees quit — but the policies haven’t. Good thing the sports section is still (mostly) made in Montreal.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
    2. Josh Gorges on Montreal’s attack: “They’re comin’, they’re comin’ and they keep comin’. Just line after line, wave after wave…”

7. Robert L says:

Does “healthy scratch” qualify as an oxymoron?

8. Robert L says:

I signed this petition. Everyone here should also. A no brainer!

9. Jay in PA says:

Cherry called someone arrogant? Don Cherry?

10. nightmare_49 says:

The NHL Morning Papers (Friday Edition) : Cherry calls Ron Wilson Arrogant and Zherdev Visits Columbus .. by Richard Pollock ….. http://www.illegalcurve.com/2008/10/24/nhl-morning-papers-friday-edition-cherry-calls-wilson-arrogant-zherdev-returns-to-columbus-and-auld-gets-his-chance/

11. xaverian001 says:

Some D-men to consider at the deadline or earlier (most will be UFAs at the end of the year):
    Derek Morris – $3.9
    M. Skoula – $1.8
    MA. Bergeron – $1.25
    G. de Vries – $2.5
    D. Sydor – $2.5
    J. McKee – $4.0 for 2 years
    M. Ohlund – $3.5

Of course, some of these guys might not be available or appealing, but interesting nonetheless. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Atlanta deal Schneider at the deadline and if/when Vancouver is out of the playoff hunt Ohlund may be available. Boucher is intriguing, but I would be surprised if Dallas let him go.