Former Hab Skrudland is still a riot

Former Canadien Brian Skrudland has always been an entertaining guy. In an interview with Cory Wolfe of the Saskatoon Star-Phoenix:

"(Sweater) numbers meant very little to me until high school. Even after that, when I went to Montreal, they said, ‘What number would you like? These are the numbers are that available,’ and they started in the high 30s. I said, ‘Throw one at me.’

"I threw on 39. It definitely wasn’t my favourite. . . . There was an oddity to wearing that number. I think it was (Bob) Gainey who said, ‘Now that we’ve gotten rid of (goaltender Cristobal) Huet, you’re no longer the slowest guy to wear 39.’ "

1. HabsColor says:

Honestly, O’Bryne DO need Sitting and Watching (learning).

He has been showing some dangerous spots for the past games. He needs to watch Markov and Komi.

2. Habsrule1 says:

I’m good with that. Brisebois has been very solid. I love O’Bryne but it might help him to sit and watch a game.

“I can’t hear what Jeremy(Roenick) is saying because my Stanley Cup rings are in my ears” – Patrick Roy

Go Habs Go!!

Habsrule

3. nightmare_49 says:

RDS – Carbo is taking care of old roommate – O’Bryne sits Saturday.

4. Sami says:

Now there’s the pot calling the kettle black…..

5. cautiousoptimist says:

Wouldn’t surprise me in the least. CanWest has been trying to control the Gazette’s content for years now. From CWA Canada:

The Gazette violated its obligations to staff under its collective agreement with the Montreal Newspaper Guild when the management tried to quell dissent that flared in early December 2001 against the imposition of “national editorials” by CanWest Global’s owners in Winnipeg, the Arbitrator ruled.

The Montreal Guild represents 297 employees at The Gazette, including 159 in the newsroom.

CanWest Global had planned to run identical “national editorials,” as often as three times a week, in more than a dozen of Canada’s largest newspapers which it acquired with a $3.2-billion takeover of the Southam newspaper empire. The new owners’ drive to centralize opinion was condemned by journalists as an unprecedented attempt to reduce the breadth of public debate and serve narrow corporate interests. In protest, dozens of journalists withdrew their bylines from Gazette stories for two successive daily editions in early December 2001.

The protests ended — as did several jobs as unhappy employees quit — but the policies haven’t. Good thing the sports section is still (mostly) made in Montreal.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
    2. Josh Gorges on Montreal’s attack: “They’re comin’, they’re comin’ and they keep comin’. Just line after line, wave after wave…”

6. Robert L says:

Does “healthy scratch” qualify as an oxymoron?

7. Robert L says:

I signed this petition. Everyone here should also. A no brainer!

8. Jay in PA says:

Cherry called someone arrogant? Don Cherry?

9. nightmare_49 says:

The NHL Morning Papers (Friday Edition) : Cherry calls Ron Wilson Arrogant and Zherdev Visits Columbus .. by Richard Pollock ….. http://www.illegalcurve.com/2008/10/24/nhl-morning-papers-friday-edition-cherry-calls-wilson-arrogant-zherdev-returns-to-columbus-and-auld-gets-his-chance/

10. xaverian001 says:

Some D-men to consider at the deadline or earlier (most will be UFAs at the end of the year):
    Derek Morris – $3.9
    M. Skoula – $1.8
    MA. Bergeron – $1.25
    G. de Vries – $2.5
    D. Sydor – $2.5
    J. McKee – $4.0 for 2 years
    M. Ohlund – $3.5

Of course, some of these guys might not be available or appealing, but interesting nonetheless. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Atlanta deal Schneider at the deadline and if/when Vancouver is out of the playoff hunt Ohlund may be available. Boucher is intriguing, but I would be surprised if Dallas let him go.

11. Big Bird says:

This article was emailed to me today about the folks who run CW. Real eye opener.

12. Number31 says:

You’re craaaaazy but awesome.
    :D

13. Bugs says:

More to the Gorges/Priceberg helmet thing than originally expected. Who knew?
    When Habs Go Bad.
    Peace Out
    ______________________________________________________
    Lord Bugs Potter, esq. Earl of Fluppitburg, Baron of Flopshlupshire and Knight of the Flannel Republic.

14. J.T. says:

Glad to see Skrudland hasn’t changed. I loved him as a player. Best nine-second goal in history.

15. Dave Stubbs says:

Love the new pic, J.T. The landscape was nice, but this is nicer!

Dave Stubbs

Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette

16. J.T. says:

Awww…I don’t mind your smiling mug either, Dave!

17. Jay in PA says:

Yeah, well, I’m keeping the dog. He’s better looking, anyway.

I loved Skrudland’s bit about Stairway to Heaven. It takes me right back to my Grade 6 dance back at Broadway Avenue Public School: Hug tight and shuffle your feet for twelve minutes. Ah, memories.

If anyone knows Cindy MacDougall, please let me know if she’s still as cute as she was, back in the day.

18. twocents says:

It was Barbie Oh, for me. You know I have no clue how to spell that girl’s last name.

19. ths says:

One of my worst slow dance experiences was dancing with a girl in grade 9 I was chewing gum and her hair got in my mouth and tangked in the gum. As the song progressed more panic set in and I thought better make a clean break so when the song finished. I ripped my head away with a chunk of hair. Looking back I should have just spit the gum out into her hair but Iw asnt very smooth in those days

20. Sami says:

Now THAT’s funny. Ah the adolescent years…..

21. Jay in PA says:

Not good making me laugh out loud–I work in a cubicle.

That kind of no-win situation reminds me of the time I was 17 or so and learning to smoke. I was in an arcade in downtown Montreal and a woman wearing a sweater momentarily backed into me. The heavy knit of her sweater snagged on the lit end of my cigarette and pulled it right out. As she walked away with the burning bit stuck in the middle of her back, I thought about my options for telling her, but concluded that no good could come of it–I couldn’t afford to buy her a new sweater, and didn’t have the courage to argue that it was her fault for backing into me in the first place.

Not sure at this point if I relit the cigarette and casually walked away or tossed the remainder and ran.

22. Mr.Hazard says:

Gotta love French. Reporters use all kinds of interesting words to describe hockey. About Halak: “Auteur de 35 arrêts”. “Author of 35 stops”. I find it often entertaining to read about hockey in French.

Ex nihilo nihil fit

23. bidds55 says:

“We have not been involved in anything with Gaborik. I mean flat out not involved” -Bob Gainey, as seen on TSN this morning.

Phew!
    _________
    Montreal is home to one of the biggest hockey card shows in Canada, at Centre Pierre Charbonneau in Montreal THIS WEEKEND. Carey Price, Andrei & Sergei Kostitsyn,Guy Carbonneau, and others will be there signing autographs(there are fees)

24. Corio says:

Yeah, I saw that too. It’s funny he also was asked about Sundin and Bob had that tone of I really couldn’t care less what Sundin does.. lol

“He knows, like, unnecessary facts about putting Sears catalogs on your shin pads.” Sean Avery on Don Cherry

25. spirit of the Habs says:

Ticket for sale for tommorows game face value anyone interested?

Canadas Team, Gods Team You name it The Habs are it

26. Nicolas St-Henri says:

i’m interested. what section? what price?

27. Rob Maguire says:

I’ve been in Saskatoon all of two weeks and already the Habs are following me, courtesy of the StarPhoenix!

28. habsgod says:

hey rob! i’m from regina so that’s great that you are in saskatoon1 and it’s great that you get the story about our habs there !

29. johnny boy says:

Gainey for Prime Minister!
    That’s a great idea.

What would his cabinet look like?

Foreign Affairs: kovalev
    Defence: Laraque
    Justice: Komisarek
    Finance: Markov
    Health: Higgins (because he’s spending so much time in the clinic)
    Heritage: Carbo

30. Kaptain K says:

Governor General: Koivu
    Monarch: Jesus Price
    Leader of Opposition: Latendresse
    Minister of Labour: Lapierre (cuz of how hard he works)

CAN YOU SMELLLLLLLLL…WHAt La- RAQUE…IS…COOKING!!

31. nightmare_49 says:

j b – Health should go to Begin , i wonder if he is related to past cabinet minister Monique Begin?

32. spirit of the Habs says:

its the white section face value is 60 bucks. my brother cant go so now I am looking to move it. its a ticket from the summit block of tickets. If interested you can email me habs2148@hotmail.com

Canadas Team, Gods Team You name it The Habs are it

33. Nicolas St-Henri says:

I just sent you a pm from my gmail account.

34. nightmare_49 says:

Nic – If your going drop by the Station Sports after the game you’ll more than welcome.

35. Robert L says:

And all activities planned by us, for that matter.

36. habs domain says:

the word coming out of the GM’s meetings, is that Havlat is on the trade block. Yes I know he’s injury prone, but I bet it would take less to get him that Gaborik. And with injuries to Higgins and AK46, not a bad idea. I’m sure Chicago would love a draft pick, and a prospect, and since their D isn’t that great, I bet Dandy come in hand. But the 1 player we should pursue, is a D man, and I think Bieska would fit the bill. Vancouver needs scorers, and we could supply some with a draft pick and Maxwell, or someone else from Hamilton(not Pac).

37. Xtrahabsfan says:

When Havlat is NOT injured he is the best player in the league,the problem being that consists of 10 games a year,lol.Even though he is still a young athlete,I believe he has chronic shoulder problems”something I share with him” which is a HUGE problem FOR A HOCKEY PLAYER.I am unshure he could handle rough play-off action”that’s when you’d need him”,so in my guesstamate ,unless the Hockey Gods can clone him,forgetaboutit.

38. roadrunner24@hotmail.com says:

If were gonna go after a D man and pay ….we might as well go get the best one available… in Bowmeester …. He may cost more ( not that much more than bieska) but he’s a sure bet and would give us the best D in the league. Again… tho we might have to wait when florida is out of the chase …. P.s Bowmeester is UFA and he wants out so i don’t think that it would cost full price(draft picks and what not) to acquire him ( when the time is right )

39. TommyB says:

It never fails….every time a name comes up as being available for trade, or available as a free agent, some schmuck is going to post here that the Habs should go after him. It really gets tiring. Can you tell me what Havlat can bring to the table that we don’t already have in our roster? This isn’t ‘Hockey Pools dot com’, and this isn’t your XBOX 360! Further, this isn’t a team that needs a shakeup, especially at the forward positions. You’re saying we should give up a draft pick and a prospect for a player who does not bring an element that we don’t already have? One other thing…many teams have tried to win the Stanley Cup on paper in the past. Hell, the Rangers try it every year. Names don’t win Cups. Teams, win cups. We have a good one that is getting better all the time. Throw that out the window for Havlat? for Gaborik? Who’s next?