Former Hab Ryan White signs with Flyers

Former Canadien Ryan White, who wasn’t offered a contract by the club as a restricted free agent after last season, agreed to a one-year, two-way deal with the Philadelphia Flyers on Thursday.

The 26-year-old White, who was selected by the Canadiens in the third round (66th overall) of the 2006 NHL draft, played 141 regular-season games with the Habs, posting 5-12-17 totals and 232 penalty minutes. Last season, he had 2-4-6 totals in 52 regular-season games and wasn’t used during the playoffs. In 10 career playoff games, he had one goal and 25 penalty minutes.

“I’m kind of waiting to see if I can get myself a one-way and get an opportunity to play some more minutes in the league,” White told The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs after the Canadiens didn’t offer him a contract. “I want to give myself an opportunity to play in the NHL. Even if it means I have to take a two-way somewhere, I’m confident that I can go to another team and show them what I can do. Hopefully, they like what they see.”

(Photo by Allen McInnis/The Gazette)

White gave heart, soul and tooth to the Habs, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

1. jmac21 says:

Hard to replace his heart

2. Thomas Le Fan says:

White is the kind of player who gives a coach fits. At the end of the day, his boneheadedness always seemed to overcome his usefulness.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

3. big_green_puffin says:

So glad to see Ryan White get a deal somewhere. He’s a blood and guts type of player, the kind you win playoff games with( hint, hint), and now he’s a Flyer!

4. B says:

Phuck him, he’s a Phlyer now.

–Go Habs Go!–

5. Louisville says:

A lot of folks smoking some good stuff today. Prust is done. He will not get better…he will only get worse. FINISHED!

Kooch is looking for friends on the new thread folks, lets help him out.

7. Steeltown Hab says:

I feel as if a dumb team like edmonton would trade a 3rd for Prust, I’d be all over that and you get the salary dump

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

8. Mr. Biter says:

Sorry to see White go as he always played his heart out for the Habs when he was on the Ice. Writing was on the wall when he did not play at all in the playoffs. Good luck in Philly. Also as mentioned below not a good idea to “Slew Foot ” the coach.
    Now since Prust is one hard body check into the boards away from retirement MB better get one or two truchelent players who can skate and hit and fight as we are lacking big time in that dept.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

9. flowerpower_74 says:

I don’t know what some of you are on? Saying that White is better than Prust right now is BS. Prust had 13 points in 52 games last year alone, compared to White who has 17 points in his career. I think a lot of you will change your tune after the first Prust/White bout, IF White makes the Flyers.

Montreal Canadiens-2013 and forever Northeast Division Champs

• Steeltown Hab says:

Maybe Prust is a better fighter. I could really care less.

Whites offensive instincts, skating, and physicality are definitely a notch above.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Cal says:

A notch above a 5th liner, certainly.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Couldn’t care less or could care less?

• Steeltown Hab says:

this guy corrected grammar on the internet…must feel like a legend right now

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Loop_Garoo says:

It was funny, and it isn’t really grammer, the two things are kinda opposites.

• Un Canadien errant says:

You wrote a confusing post, saying exactly the opposite of what you mean. You’re not expressing yourself, your thoughts clearly. But 84 is the one in the wrong for this? This wasn’t a typo, an apostrophe. You should thank him that you now have Googled it and now understand the difference, and won’t make the same mistake again.

• Loop_Garoo says:

His stats don’t bear that out, whether you are looking at one year or a career, all of Prust’s #’s are better.

• 123456 says:

I was just going to post something similar – Prust > Moen/White. While Prust may be on the decline we do not know that for a fact – he battled numerous injuries last season and played through a lot of them.

For those not involved in the coaching arena experience plays a HUGE part in deciding ice time – that’s just the way it is – except for a few young guys, verterans are a lot more likely to make the plays coaches are looking for. For this reason White was let go – I liked a lot about the guy but when a game is on the line he is not someone I want on the ice.

• JUST ME says:

Agree with you all the way .Even injured Prust is much more complete than Whitey will ever be .
      I do like the fact that without a doubt Whitey brought everything he had even if sometimes it was not enough. I maintain though that under the circumstances both would have been usefull.

• Kooch7800 says:

When healthy I agree that Prust is a better player than White. Problem is he is not healthy and was by far our worst player in the playoffs last year. He hasn’t looked good in the last two seasons as a hab, he only had a decent half season after the lock out.

He isn’t great offensively but he is decent in his own end. The issue being is he is not worth 2.5 per for the next two years.

He will miss about 20 plus games again this year I would imagine.

Perhaps the positive in this, Prust missed time late last year due to the rib injury. No doubt his shoulders will be chronic the rest of his career, but that wasn’t what held him back late last year. That rib injury will be completely healed now…. the shoulders? Well time will tell, but I love what Prust brings to the team, he is a leader in that room.

• 123456 says:

Yes, are we all forgetting two seasons ago he played very well. He is not expected to score 20 goals!!!

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree with you there Burly. He is totally a team guy and he has something this team seriously lacks..grit and toughness. I just hope he can play the majority of the season and be a factor.

He hasn’t been a factor in awhile

10. adamkennelly says:

good for Whitey – always liked him – perfect 4th line center type guy. Yes – he did take bad penalties trying to make things happen but type of guy you want on your team.

scored a big goal in the playoffs vs. Ottawa – in the one game Habs won – then got the shit kicked out of him in that brawl. fun stuff. He’ll do well in Philly – hope he makes the team.

Vinny is on his way out of Philly – watch MB pick him up – just watch…

11. Louisville says:

Prust is finished. He can no longer play in this league. He has little talent. What has sustained him is heart and aggressive play. He still has the heart but he no longer has the assets to play his game. His shoulders are gone for good. He’s coming off 2 miserable seasons and a useless playoffs. He’s done. Only Therrien and MB seem to be clued out, AGAIN! But I suspect Therrien will keep playing him in first and second line roles. Brilliant.

White is a fourth liner. No doubt about it, but as with Briere, we will likely see what reasonable and logical coaching will allow him to do. But I suspect that even when Briere and White prove to be much more useful to their new teams than they were with the Habs we will have many on this site still blaming them instead of Therrien.

Okay, I understand when people are concerned that Prust’s shoulders may indeed be beyond repair, but your hyperbole goes overboard with your suggestion of MT continuing to play him in 1st and 2nd line situations.

Yes he got shuffled around the lineup, but by far and away the majority was 3rd line with 4th line duties, rarely but was seen on a 2nd line.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Agreed, this guy is in full mid-season kneejerk form. Talk about twisting the facts to make a point. Brandon Prust had a very good 2013 season, but wasn’t so effective last season.

We’ve parroted at each other for so long that Brandon’s shoulder(s) must be injured, it’s now becoming canon on HIO that “both his shoulders are wrecked, he’s finished, he can’t fight/hit anymore, …”

Let’s take a deep breath here, give Brandon a chance. He assures us that he’s fully healthy, let’s give him the benefit of the doubt, and hope for a rebound season.

• John Q Public says:

Keep swinging.

• Steeltown Hab says:

I agree re: Prust sounds bad but honestly I don’t see how in this universe we put this guy on the 3rd line during injuries when he’s not even effective on the 4th.

Bournival, White, Weise, Malholtra, even Moen better options. Love him and think he’s a good personality to have around but just don’t see any ability as a player since the lockout year.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

A good read from Brad Marsh, simple topic, how NHL Travel has changed and what has this done to the team dynamic.

Putting the Subban extension in perspective.

24 Cups

An unfiltered conversation with Dustin Penner, His answer to what is craziest thing a fan has ever done is pretty crazy. (especially as it relates to the mother)

15. Cal says:

Seeing as Metallica is headlining Heavy Montreal tomorrow night, why not drag out one of their best? What they say is true. Nothing Else Matters.

16. habs-fan-84 says:

White’s entrance to the NHL. I’ll never forget. I absolutely loved this tilt:

Good luck in Philly Whitey!

17. Un Canadien errant says:

About the NFL head of officiating having a night out with the Cowboys on their party bus, you can see how that’s a slippery slope. That dude has an expense account, and normally would be going out to dinner and having a couple of drinks after work, and put it on his corporate card. Sometimes he’ll be with folks from NFL teams, execs and employees he worked with during the day, and he’ll pick up the check, and the next night they will, and it’s all above board.

It’s commonly accepted in the business world, all that remains is to ensure that your company allows alcoholic beverages to be expensed, the amounts involved-permitted (nothing over a hundred or a grand or X amount, unless it’s with one of the bigger accounts, etc.), and that locations with adult-themed entertainment are allowed. You cultivate a relationship with your Director or VP, as well as with the person(s) in Finance that go over your expense account every month to ensure there are no surprises, and then you’re golden. Sometimes you come back from a weeklong trip and submit very few receipts, you say “ACME picked up the tab on everything, I just have hotel and mileage.”

So Dean Blandino might have been working with the Cowboys, going over the new rules and interpretation for the coming season, and they made plans to go out for dinner that night. Jerry Jones might say: “I have this place I like to go in L.A., we have a private room booked, you have to come along. Leave your car here so you can have a couple of pops.” And now the NFL exec is snapped getting off the ‘party bus’. Good intentions, nothing improper at the outset, nothing the Jones entourage wouldn’t have done had he not been part of the festivities, but it does look bad.

I think the same kind of slippery slope/poor judgment felled Allison Redford. She’s served political and government positions for so long, never really paid her own way, always asked for and kept receipts. I imagine her at some point telling her party’s hierarchy “I can take this job, but I have a daughter, and I can’t be away for too long, …”, and they nodded and said you do what you have to do and we’ll authorize it. So her daughter traveled with her, or she traveled by herself but the over-riding concern wasn’t to save money, but to travel there and back quickly so she’d be able to be with her family. And this grows into a feeling that the laudable ends justify the means, and now we’re doctoring flight manifests to skirt around pesky regulations, and it’s a technical loophole, so-and-so said it was okay, just do what you have to.

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

18. ths says:

At this point in their careers I would take White over Prust anyday

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

• Kooch7800 says:

Sadly, that thought has crossed my mind as well. Prust is a loyal teammate but he isn’t worth the contract he is on. The half season he played (first as a hab) he was decent. Sadly his shoulders are done due to fighting too much and being somewhat undersized for his role.

Bringing in a fighter to help take some of the burden of Prust didn’t really work out to well last season. He needs to have game stretches off. He is great defensively but offensively he just doesn’t seem to have the hands. As much as everyone bashes Moen, he and Prust were one point apart in scoring. Mind you Moen played more games and he is older

• Maksimir says:

People seem to forget White has had concussion issues.. his days as a fighter are probably limited or done.

• habs-fan-84 says:

It’ll be interesting to see when those two scrap this year.

• Kooch7800 says:

Prust is a great defensive Scrapper. He knows how to handle and protect himself against bigger opponents. You don’t see him outright win that many scraps though and I am not sure he intimidates anyone of the other teams

19. Luke says:

As a team gets better, the worst player on the team becomes expendable. That’s it.
    It’s Nothing personal Ryan, you just aren’t good enough anymore.

Love your spirit. Thanks for always trying. Good luck in Philly.

I think part of the affinity for Whitey here, is that when he did start to get some NHL minutes he represented something our 4th line had been lacking for quite some time. Some pushback and grit, he wasn’t another Petteri Nokelainen, Andreas Enqvist, Tom Pyatt etc…

He was a player that we hoped would help stand up for his teammates against the Bruins, Flyers and Leafs.

End of the day, it won’t be the end of the world that he is gone, but he did represent something we wanted to see from our Habs 4th line.

20. habstrinifan says:

I see a parallel in the way Prust has become a broken down copy of his first year with us and how White became an uncompleted product.

Last year, in my estimation, they were essentially on the same level as far as consistent usefulness ON THE ICE.

Prust started with the HABS ON TOP and slid down to being a questionable asset on the ice… White never emerged from the question mark status.

Wonder, if as Marc Bergevin alluded to, there is some misdirection from the teacher(s).
    And while on that same vein, whither does Gallagher go?. And also Bournival?

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

I cannot get the link to come up so you can click onto.
    But the Global news survey was for brand value across Canada. Not retail dollar value.
    Hab’s 1st.
    Sask. Roughriders 2nd, Blue Jays 3rd, and Toronto was 4th.

Montreal was 1st! But we already know that.

Which is Canada’s most valuable sports franchise?
    Which is Canada’s most valuable sports franchise? Global News

23. habstrinifan says:

Admit it! What are you pining for the most right now? Wishing that you had with supper tonite?

That’s right!

Wish today at 5:45pm EST I was going into my HABS are on TV/Boone’s blog is counting down… game day thrill.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

24. gmur says:

I’ll miss White’s quick, spastic skating, poor fighting skills, and lack of both offensive talent and discipline.

25. Slackman says:

In beginning to worry…. we need a tough bastard before the season starts. If we leave it all up to Prusty, he’ll do well, but he’ll run our of juice eventually. My apologies to all you pacifist hockey monks who see this as sacrilege .

26. Maritime Ronn says:

Good Morning

Pretty simple why Ryan White was not re-signed.
    He Broke the 11th Commandment in hockey.
    “Thou Shalt Not Slew Foot The Head Coach At Practice.”

27. Habfan10912 says:

I see a ton of football post from last night. Think of this the next time the Dallas opponent gets one of those key “holding” calls late in the forth quarter.

Thankfully the NHL would never allow a high level NHL exec. to be involved in any type of scenario which brings fairness into question. Colin Campbell has always remained completely neutral. It’s not like his son plays in the league, its not like there is documented email proof showing he has had bias.

Whew!

Morning Jim!

28. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning all!

“Sometimes teachers need new students and students need new teachers”.

To me this sounds like Bergevin is describing the relationship between Therien and White. Given the number of times White was a healthy scratch, especially in the playoffs, it is obvious that the coach did not see White as an important piece of the team.

I also admired White’s efort and heart but must admit I got frustrated as well with his bonehead plays. In all honesty White is probably a borderline NHL player who the Habs won’t miss at all. Like many here I wish him well but will not lose sleep over losing him.

• Cal says:

Exactly, Jim. He’s a 4th liner that needs a coach that believes he can do it. MT isn’t that coach.
      At least White is getting paid for what he loves to do, so it’s not all bad for him.

• habstrinifan says:

Agree! I commented on this line in Bergevin’s presser before. It says a lot, which I wont get into here.

But I think this season will demonstrate where the problem was the student or the teacher.

I am a big fan of Ryan White. I think he is a better hockey player than he has been asked/allowed to be. I also think he has sometimes shown a tendency to have some unfortunate mental dullness which ends up in a haywire moments.

Maybe a supportive and interested coach can bring out the best in him, which we saw flashes of two years ago.

Flyers may have just gotten very lucky in finding a ‘tough plumber’ that all teams need…. or maybe not and White will be in the minors by January.

29. Mavid ® says:

Good lucky Whitey..I was always a big fan..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

30. Cal says:

A little from the Bard this Friday morn. Ryan White as Iago? Folly, folly!

31. rhino514 says:

Questions to stir up a quiiet period:

1) Can Prust regain enough health in the off season to become once again an invaluable fulltime (or quasi full-time) player for the habs who impacts games?

2) What should be done with Moen? (and what would be the cap effect of any potential move)

3) Will any of Bournival, Andrighetto, or Sekac be able to stick on the top nine open position at wing?

4) Should we have ofered Gio, because of his 200 foot game, a 2 year contract and foregone (3) and could this non-move come back to haunt us?

5) Will the club sink back to a great goaltending, defensively disciplined, but somewhat anemic scoring team now that the Vanek threat is gone and more scoring pressure once again is placed on the shoulders of our forwards?

6) Should the team pull another Vanek-like move at the deadline if we are in a similar situation at that point as last year?

7) Will the combined veteran loss of Gio, Gorges, and Briere hurt come playoff time?

• Cal says:

Hey rhino- excellent questions.

1. I believe he is done- those shoulders need to be rebuilt.
      2. He is veteran depth. His $1.85 mil cap hit would be hard to move and injuries happen, so he stays.
      3. Sekac will play with Pleks and will produce. I think he can score 20, replacing Gionta.
      4. No. He is done.
      5. Yes. The lack of scoring balance will seem to be addressed if the top 9 forwards produce. I don’t think all 9 will see “career best” years, but one can hope.
      6. Yes.
      7. It will, especially in the nerves department before games and between periods. Gio and Brière will be missed, especially.

• synthpro says:

The dark horse in all this is Galchenyuk and weather he can have a breakout season. He’s only 20! And already has two years in the NHL. He can possibly be our new Vanik for the entire year.

You swap him with plekaniks on lines two and three and I think he will get 25 goals minimum.

• JUST ME says:

1- he has the will to do the job wich is the basic need. Remains to see if the body will follow…
      2- i would try to trade him but feel like he will get one last chance
      3-would like to see that Sekac guy and find out what the big fuss is all about.
      4-Nope. Time for guys like Eller,Bournival and Plek to take over the job of being good on both sides of the ice.Really loved Gio but pages need to be turned and one must not look back.
      5-Vanek was just a confidence booster and did not change anything really in the team`s performances so…no nothing should change.
      6- If possible and if needed yes. It did have it`s effect on the moral of the team. They did believe that not only they could make the playoffs but also they could go deep just because of that little boost.
      7-Probably a bit. Total loss of NHL experience including the Cube
      is over 4000 nhl games played. Cannot escape with that much experience missing…But that`s the price to pay to look forward for better days.
      I admire all those guys but bottom line is we did not drink from the big mug.

32. formerly known as the hc says:

Kinda hammered, hopefully get my idea across… I like White. I like the way he plays, a bit of a knuckle head at times, but all heart. I have only read positive things about him the person. Although I loathe the Flyers, I hope he does well.

-The beatings will continue until morale improves-

33. Un Canadien errant says:

Sean McIndoe on P.K.’s and the Chicago Twins’ contracts.

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

• habstrinifan says:

Thanks for the link. But what a very weakly written article. More confusing (in it’s omission) than informative. Couldn’t finish it.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

Sean McIndoe used to write some very clever witty blogs when he was simply Down Goes Brown. Seems to me he is now writing more articles with his new role at Grantland, and I am not sure as a pure writer he is all that gifted. He still comes up with some pretty funny quips, but I don’t see him as a consistent sports writer. Each to his own though.

Have a good day habstrinifan.

• Un Canadien errant says:

trini, it might be because I kind of skimmed through it, but I didn’t stumble over any clunkers or grammatical errors. When I realized it was one of his ‘honest’ articles, and it tread upon ground we’ve discussed thoroughly on HIO, I didn’t pay much attention. Now I kind of feel I should re-read it to spot the problems you did, but then again, no, why would I do that? There are no yuks in it.

burli, I’ve noticed what you’re talking about. At first Sean McIndoe was doing his ‘Down Goes Brown’ schtick on Grantland, and Katie Baker was the more sedate hockey writer with the regular column and ‘serious’ hockey pieces. She’s had a more restricted output lately though, she moved to San Francisco and wrote some culture pieces, and it seems Mr. McIndoe was asked to pick up some of the slack. So he still has his highly entertaining moments and column ideas, but sometimes plays it ‘straight’ and the intent is more to inform than to make the reader chortle.

Generally I’ll read whatever he posts, he’s a writer whose work I enjoy, and I sometimes think it must be hard to be in his shoes. All of his material/knowledge is skewed towards the Leafs, he’s been pitching to Leafs fans for years, so now he has to rein that in and be more of a generalist NHL columnist. It’s like HIO, we’ll comment on general hockey or NHL or even sports issues, but it always comes back to ‘how does this tie in to Michel Therrien being a big meanie?’

Michael Farber had the same problem in my opinion, when he left the Gazette and started writing at Sports Illustrated, he’d cover the whole league and have to write about the St-Louis Blues or the Los Angeles King, but he’d lead in with anecdotes on former Blues coach Scotty Bowman, or an outrageously off-target scouting report on Luc Robitaille by scout/exec Ronald Caron. All his knowledge about the game had to run through his Canadiens/Québec filter.

• habstrinifan says:

I went and re-read the article UCE… trying to be positive and engrossed while being informed. I could barely muddle through it. And I use the word muddle deliberately.

I like your explanation of his ‘responsibilities’ and hence the new bent in his writing…. “but sometimes plays it ‘straight’ and the intent is more to inform than to make the reader chortle…”

Maybe not his forte…. yet?

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

• Un Canadien errant says:

Totally agree trini, I love it when he comes out with a ’10 Worst Contracts’ article, those are much better reads than his straight-man pieces. When I realize it’s one of the latter, I scan it to see if he’s bringing up a point we haven’t raised on HIO, but don’t spend too much time on it.

I read all of his stuff though, I like his writing, and click on his articles to encourage Grantland to not become all NBA all the time.

34. JohnBellyful says:

Chara selfie goes international!

35. Marc10 says:

Good pick up for the Flyers. Whitey is good value and he stands up for his teammates. We’re going to miss his sandpaper. Damn…

36. Un Canadien errant says:

Anyone watching the Chargers game? Chargers blow a red zone opportunity, again. Ball fumbled by Ryan Mathews, who else, on the goal line.

It may be pre-season, but things are falling into place already.

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

Watching my Bombers take on the Riders (Canada’s team according to a survey). So strange to see my Bombers playing well!

Good luck to your Chargers Norm, I think my Steelers will be competitive this year, but so much hinges on Polamalu, uh oh Riders just scored.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I feel much more optimistic at the onset of this season. Last year, the offensive line was my biggest worry, and they were a surprisingly efficient unit. The defensive backfield was devoid of talent and depth beyond Eric Weddle. This season, both of those units have been bolstered and shouldn’t be a problem, even with a couple of injuries.

My vague sense of the Steelers was that their defence was aging and needed the young guys to step up, guys like Ziggy Hood. How’s that going?

• JohnBellyful says:

Why, why, WHY did I stay up to watch the Riders-Bombers play?
        Oh, now I know. :)
        After tonight’s errant tosses, including one that resulted in the game-winning TD, Winnipeg’s QB will henceforth be known as Threw Willy-Nilly.
        PS. Burl, it was nice to learn after a two-day absence that you own a Ticat jersey/sweater/T-shirt/whatever. I’m sure it occupies a prominent spot in your walk-in closet.

Uhmm who told you such a story? Okay it’s true, but I only bought it as I needed to wear something to the Labour Day Classic and there was no way I was cheering for the Argos!

But my Bombers hat looks much better….

• Un Canadien errant says:

Undrafted free agent Brandon Oliver, a scatback from Buffalo, scores a nice touchdown. The Chargers second-string offensive line just owned the Dallas defensive subs.

• frontenac1 says:

Oliver is running well. Quick and shifty. Undrafted?!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Beginning of the third quarter, Dontrelle Inman, a former Toronto Argonaut on a tryout with the Chargers, hauls in a 70-yard touchdown pass from Philip Rivers’ backup Kellen Clemens.

Chargers 17, Cowboys 7.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Thomas Kaiser sweeps around a Cowboy lineman and tomahawks the ball out of Brandon Weeden’s hand, Chargers recover the fumble. Tryout Kerwynn Williams punches it in from the 1-yard line.

Chargers 24, Cowboys 7.

Our scrubs can beat your scrubs.

37. PK says:

I am glad to see that Ryan has found a potential home.
    Too bad that he did not get picked up by a Western conference team.

So … do you think MB gets an enforcer at the last minute?
    Will someone from within the system get a call up for this role?
    Do the Habs need some “truculence”?
    If yes, can Moen and Prust carry the load?
    (my answer is no).

Oh, BlackHawks and Kings don’t regularly face the Bruins, Leafs, Flyers. They may be able to get away with “team toughness” rather than having a specific deterrent.

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

“Une équipe de hockey sur glace de l’île de Mont-Royal va gagner la Coupe de Lord Stanley à 24 reprises dans le 20e siècle et trois fois au cours du 21e siècle.”

– Nostradamus, 1552

Happy for Whitey, just wish it wasn’t the Flyers, but probably a good fit for both sides.

39. HabsKid says:

I’m happy for Whitey. He came out ready to play and had some traction with Weise before MT flipped the line. It was disappointing not to see him in for Prusty in the playoffs. Another heart & soul guy. I don’t think Malhotra is an upgrade. Maybe it’s time to get a Flyer’s jersey.

• GrosBill says:

Get a Flyers jersey because White was not resigned?

Malhotra is in upgrade in almost every way IMO. His best years are behind him for sure, but he will definitely put up more points than White and is better on the face off. Not as fast, but also not as boneheaded. I agree that White and Weise seemed to click when Weise arrived. But then again, it seemed like all fourth line combos looked better once Weise arrived.

I am happy he landed on a team, too bad it is the Flyers. I never complained about White on the fourth line and his salary was in line with his role.

I think people tend to overhype him a bit because his sandpaper was strongly desired by many Hab fans when he arrived. Finally, a player who would stick up for his teammates and take on some of the Bruins (his fight with Boychuck was a great one I will not forget).

I wish him all the best, but buying a Flyers jersey. That would take a spectacular turn of events to ever catch me wearing one…

40. southaltahab says:

I liked Ryan White. When he got to play this past season I thought he was a lot smarter on the ice and less prone to stupid penalties. I also liked him on the PK. It’s a shame when the dynamic between a player and coach goes sour because I thought he could really contribute. I wonder what MT’s problem with him is because he seems like a pretty good guy. Hope he does well in Philly, unless he’s playing the Habs of course.

41. bandaide says:

Good Luck Ryan I loved how you battled if im not mistaken last time he saw ice was before he tripped Therrien during practice no? I don’t think coach liked that too much. I magine u did that to your boss think you’d have a job?

42. CJ says:

Good evening.

Well, I suppose it could have been worse. Granted, not much worse though. White a Flyer? Say it ain’t so. The only scenarios that would have been worse were the Sens, Bruins or Leafs.

Look, I get it. I know Whitey’s not a game breaker, but I just loved the kid’s heart and determination. Is MM an upgrade, yes. However, on a team painfully thin in the physical/toughness department, I would not have opposed the notion of White being carried as our 13th or 14th forward. Moen, I’m sorry to say, does not fit. Bournival is going to be the better player, and Moen can no longer fight. Sure, I loved the hit he put on Iggy in the playoffs, but he’s not an everyday guy. I’m not even sure if he’s the 13th forward.

Anyway, l knew this day would come. Kind of like that grade eight girlfriend who you know is looking at the older boys, it was only a matter of time. Sometimes it’s tough to let go. I’ll say this, Whitey will fit in with the Flyers like a round peg. I just hope he doesn’t have an axe to grind. He’s the kind of guy who could hurt some – badly.

So, it’s so long 53. I liked you, but like last week’s Sports Illustrated, you’re worthless to me now.

CJ

• Al Burtlap says:

Hi CJ,

Your post brought me to a place where I believe this may the exact opposite of how I felt when Doug Gilmour joined the Habs.

I went from deep seeded hatred and loathing to appreciating having him on our team to really loving what he brought at a time when his passion was desperately needed.

Now i suspect that I will grow to hate young Ryan, the first time he pisses me off with some dirty move on one of our boys.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

44. twilighthours says:

Good for Ryan. Honest player, hard working dude, seemed to have a great attitude. Let’s hope he turns it around, has a great year, and gets a long-term contract out of someone.

In my mind, his high point with the Habs was the Boychuck thrashing. It was all downhill from there.

45. Un Canadien errant says:

As best I can find, the Marc Bergevin quote on why Ryan White didn’t get a qualifying offer was “Sometimes teachers need new students and students need new teachers”.

What that indicated to me was that the team felt they had gotten as far as they could with Ryan, that his development had plateaued, it was time to cut bait. Which is too bad for me, I have written many posts supportive of Ryan, obviously liked his heart and his ability to weather the rough stuff. His beatdown of Dirty Boychuck after he tried to knee-on-knee P.K. in Boston will always be a highlight for me.

I am worried like Front is that we’re letting Whitey walk while don’t have a heavyweight, have let Douglas Murray leave, and now have only Brandon Prust and a probably skittish Travis Moen to counter the excesses of other teams. I’ve read all the posts on how the Bruins have let Sean Thornton go and Colton Orr may not even dress for the Leafs next year, blah blah blah, I’ll believe it when I see it. If they destroy their nukes, only then will I be comfortable decommissioning ours. I’ve seen it too many times, teams unable to deal with our speed resorting to thuggery, with the impotent refs barely serving as witnesses to it all.

I dislike that a goon squad like the Flyers have scooped him up, it’s like my mineral collection getting boosted by the neighbour kid with the slingshot. I smell trouble. I won’t know whether to cheer or boo Whitey. When Benoit Pouliot signed with Boston, it was an easy decision, the man has no heart and was intent on proving it, but it’s hard to begrudge Ryan taking a shot at an NHL job, he can’t have had too many options.

We need to calm down on this one, Ryan had many chances to solidify his standing with the team, and he never was able to seize it. This is not a Michel Therrien story, it’s a Mathieu Darche-Frédéric St. Denis-Glen Metropolit story, a supporting role player who has outlived his usefulness to the team.

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

• twilighthours says:

I’m OK with the idea that White needs a fresh start with a new coach. In my experience, not every teacher can reach every student, as much as we might wish it so.

• Al Burtlap says:

“with the impotent refs barely serving as witnesses to it all.”

This made me laugh and sadly it is accurate from my perspective. And I agree with you. I have long been a fan of Ryan White. He forgot that he was actually a good hockey player for a season or 2, and sadly by then he had lost the confidence of the current staff.

I too am not convinced we have the muscle and aggression required heading into the season.

• dr. schmutzdeker says:

I’ll go you one further…I’m convinced that with the current lineup they (most certainly) do not.

They have not regressed to the vulnerability level of the Gauthier years, but they are certainly close. (hurry up kids)

• piper says:

The Leafs will likely have a young enforcer in their lineup this year. Duvane is 6-5 and tough as nails and only 23.

46. theox_8 says:

Great to see Whitey get another chance somewhere else, too bad we lost him. I remember him in the whl playing in Calgary and he was great to watch. I also enjoyed him trying to wake up the boys on 24ch great guy with awesome character , best wishes to him as he moves on with his career.

47. frontenac1 says:

@UCE. NFLHD channel free and clear tonight. Bell xpressvu #1499. Cowboys vs Chargers at 10:30 PM. Go Chargers!

• Un Canadien errant says:

I must have misread the schedule, I thought it was 1900 hr Pacific. Not that pre-season football is any good, but I’ll be watching.

48. jols says:

They just showed Prusty taking in the Raonic match at the Rogers Cup.

49. JUST ME says:

A good warrior in my book . I guess we managed to do without him most of last season and can go on but with Murray and Parros also gone…And to top it off all those talks about unconfirmed negociations to keep the Cube one more year ? Would not make any sense to prefer him to Whitey considering the needs of the team.

Thing is though that we must be willing to turn pages even if it does not seem right…

50. montreal ace says:

I really used to love White as a Hab, until he challenged Latendresse in the playoffs against the Sens.completely uncalled for when a player is coming back after concussions. I don’t know why he is so loved around here he did nothing. First Row sports is streaming Canada /Russia, exhibition in under 20. I would also add that I would give Latendresse a contract before White, he would out score him 24/7

51. frontenac1 says:

If we could land Jay Rosehill for Whitey, I would be on board for that.

52. CH Marshall says:

Read on Spectors Hockey re Cube. I hope MB is not going to bring Cube back just because of MT’s devotion to him. They really need to open up a spot and give guys like Pateryn and Bennett a shot

53. frontenac1 says:

Getting rid of Gio and Josh didn’t bug me at all. Made sense. But keeping Moen with his wonky coconut and letting Whitey walk? Someone please explain that to me.

54. Hobie says:

Something must have happened behind the scenes with Ryan White and the Habs. He was actually pretty good on some nights at both ends of the rink. There were times down the stretch and in the playoffs when I figured he’d get into a game or two. I was surprised when he didn’t draw in on a few occasions.

• DipsyDoodler says:

If Therrien can bench his best skater out of spite, Whitey never had a chance once he entered the doghouse.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• JUST ME says:

I agree with your theory because i remember him being very active the last time he played with the Habs , talking a lot and communicating with teammates at faceoff circles as if he was taking charge of things and then…nothing no more..I was convinced that he would be used when Prust got suspended of just to shake things around against the Rangers but nope… nothing .

Would have taken him gladly on the same kind of two way deal but as you mention i think there is something we are not aware of. Not enough to say he was not the greatest of players cause i could name a few others…

55. jols says:

Good luck Ryan. Two way is a step back but keep battling and hopefully you will find a full time home is the NHL.

Personally , I would prefer White to Malhotra as a 4th line center. White brought the energy, stuck up for team mates and was a good penalty killer.

• Corporate says:

Maholtra is a good faceoff guy and he also plays well on the PK ifI remember correctly. We needed someone that can win important faceoffs.

• frontenac1 says:

No doubt. I like the signing. But when the going gets rough, he ain’t no Whitey. Should have offered Whitey a 2 way for injury call up. Makes no sense to me unless he f#cked up big time off ice somehow.

• Corporate says:

True… However I have a lot more confidence with this management team than the ones in the past. I think that they will make this team a well balanced one. I do agree with you, White would have been a good signing or a 2 way contract. I think MT did not see him in his plans.

56. secretdragonfly says:

This would have only been worse had he signed with Boston – ah, crap – Whitey, I wish you the best, just not against us :(

57. UKRAINIANhab says:

…should have signed him, now we have to play against him…

58. Paz says:

White left because he and the coach could not get along, according to Bergevin’s press conference.

This is an example of why I can’t stand the coach.

59. rogieshan says:

Wish he had signed out west.