Former Hab Ryan White looking for a new team

The Canadiens did not make a qualifying offer to forward Ryan White before Canada Day, making him an unrestricted free agent.

As of Friday afternoon, White was still looking for a job after spending five seasons with the Canadiens.

On Friday, speaking from his home in Brandon, Man., White told The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs he’s waiting to see what might come along.

“My agent is doing most of the due diligence. I’m waiting by the phone and seeing what’s going on,” the 26-year-old said. “As of now, we’re just patiently waiting to see what the best opportunity is going to be.”

White told Stubbs that a handful of teams have been kicking his tires, and neither he nor agent Craig Oster have a date set before possibly looking for a team in Europe or in Russia’s Kontinental Hockey League. White added that some NHL teams are offering two-way contracts.

“I’m kind of waiting to see if I can get myself a one-way and get an opportunity to play some more minutes in the league,” White said.

“I want to give myself an opportunity to play in the NHL. Even if it means I have to take a two-way somewhere, I’m confident that I can go to another team and show them what I can do. Hopefully, they like what they see.”

In 52 games last season, White had two goals and four assists.

“I just want to say thanks to the fans for a lot of great memories, and for how special it was playing in Mecca of the hockey world,” White told Stubbs. “The Canadiens treated me and my family with nothing but respect and I loved every minute of it.”

(Photo by Allen McInnis/The Gazette)

White gave heart, soul and a tooth to Habs, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Defence first for Habs’ Dream Weaver, by Gazette Sports Editor Stu Cowan

1. ths says:

I blame Terrien. He should be fired.Obviously Genies game plan didnt work and Galchenyuk didnt step up

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

2. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Eugenie still rules. Two semis and a final as a 20 year old. On to the US Open.

3. JUST ME says:

Bravo Eugenie. One first although painfull step towards new territories for Canada`s tennis.

4. thebonscott says:

Anyone know when the summit weekend is??

C’mon guys this is not rocket surgery!!!!

5. twilighthours says:

Eugenie is about to earn a $1.6mil paycheque. That’s pretty nice!

No one was beating Kvitova today. Bouchard was in so tough, and this kid will be more fit, stronger, and more experienced next time they play.

• adamkennelly says:

getting the shit kicked out of you has to be really tough but she’ll be back….

• Strummer says:

McEnroe and Evert both said they lost their first Wimbledon finals.

Part of the process as you rise to the top

____________________________________________________
        “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

6. Adidess says:

Now she’s being run out of the building. So sad for Genie who has been playing so well this year. Bright future for sure, but to be overwhelmed like this in the Finals will feel like a major disappointment for her, at least right after the game.

• AH says:

It’s all about the “refiners fire” and she’s going through it right now…this will make her better!

• Adidess says:

I think so. This year alone, her progression has been amazing so she’ll get there.

But she could have fast-tracked her arrival today, having avoided Serena, Sharapova and others to get to the Finals.

• Captain aHab says:

Look, I don’t think anyone would have beaten Kvitova today but Bouchard really has to keep working on her serves. It was a weakness still last year and she’s improved it quite a bit but it was real weak today.

—————-
      Prepare to be boarded!!

• Adidess says:

All credit to Kvitova for sure. I don’t remember ever seeing her hit the ball like that. In fact, if she could play like this all the time, she would be the world’s Number 1.

• AH says:

True, her 2nd serve is a mess, watching Kvitova is like a team watching the Kings…you know what you have to do to reach the top!

7. Strummer says:

Maybe Genie is getting freaked out by the weird guy from “Big Bang Theory” sitting in the stands

____________________________________________________
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• Adidess says:

It must be. Losing the Finals in under an hour is truly sad. This was never a game. I feel for those who paid the big bucks to sit at Center Court and see the proceedings end in what seemed like the blink of an eye.

8. adamkennelly says:

really surprised he’s not getting any 1 ways…he’s an NHL 4th liner for sure – there are plenty of players of way less value in the league.

9. AH says:

Eugenie getting smoked, the Czech chick is on!

No worries, 20 years old, future so bright she’s got to wear shades, :)

• Adidess says:

She’s doing ok returning serves, but is not winning enough service games so far. The power and angles coming from those leftie shots are too much for her right now.

10. Maritime Ronn says:

Quite lucky still to have power…just need to get through high tide this PM and storm surge….

Whitey?
    He’ll probably find an NHL landing spot, yet most likely he’ll have to be very patient.
    This ‘may’ go into August and possibly September.

Several teams still have to deal with their RFAs, and there are still some ‘Tier II-III’ UFAs that need to be signed.
    Guys like Steve Ott-Setoguchi-Penner-Booth-Stepniak…

Once the dust settles, he may get an NHL minimum, 1-way from teams like Buffalo (Gionta/Gorges connection) Calgary (Burke truculence), Florida-Winnipeg-Edmonton…
    White can play the PK and is also decent on Face-offs.
    If need be, he’ll always stick up for a team mate.

11. Adidess says:

Genie is good and aggressive, but that Petra woman strikes the ball like she’s mad at it. Plus she’s a tricky leftie who won Wimbledon two years ago (edit: 2011, so 3 years ago).

But Genie is hanging in there so far. Winning that last service game to be at 2-3 instead of 1-4 was crucial to stay in the first set.

• ont fan says:

Genie is playing the Bruins. Probably a little surprised by her power. Can she adjust?

• Adidess says:

Commentators think she’s playing a bit too close to the baseline to be able to deal with those deep and heavy shots. She doesn’t seem to have moved back so far. And being in so much trouble on her service games doesn’t help, needs more first serve in to make it tougher for her opponent. Her second serve is in the 80-90 mph range, so Kvitova is just eating it.

12. Habs4LifeInTO says:

Bleacher report: Canadiens earn an A in Free agency:

Significant gains: Tom Gilbert, P-A Parenteau, Manny Malhotra, Jiri Sekac

Significant losses: Brian Gionta, Josh Gorges, Thomas Vanek, Daniel Briere, Francis Bouillon, Douglas Murray, Ryan White, George Parros

Net shift: The Habs’ addition of Gilbert at a modest $2.8 million cap hit was one of the real steals of free agency; Gilbert played top-pairing minutes last year and adds a really nice second pair presence in Montreal. Additionally, stealing Parenteau away from Colorado and inking the undrafted Sekac to an entry-level deal and Malhotra to a cheap one-year contract were all shrewd moves.

Grade: A

Go Genie! Go Habs!

24 cups and counting….

• frontenac1 says:

Hola amigos! I gave Marc an “A” also. I like what he is doing. But like CJ, I can’t figure out why he is keeping Moener with his contract and wonky coconut and letting Whitey walk. Oh well, he knows what he’s doing and he’s not done yet so, no problemo. Beauty day here in Eastern Ont. And be careful all you amigos down there in the Maritimes.Saludos!

• Maritime Ronn says:

Front

It may have something to do with Moen’s almost unmoveable/untradeable contract at $1.85M for 2 more years.

Habs would have to retain about $1M in a trade – that’s if anyone actually would want Moen.
        Worst case is Moen could be put on waivers and if not claimed, the Habs would save $925K Cap space if Moen ended up in Hamilton.
        They would still have to pay him his full salary

13. DipsyDoodler says:

Forgetting about hockey fights in the NHL, is anyone else just shocked that we allow 16 year olds to fight in junior?

That seems pretty messed up to me.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• Loop_Garoo says:

I agree, I told this story here before but I took a 3.5 year old to see the Barrie Colts play, this child’s first hockey game, and there were 2 fights in the first period. That is the moment that I became against fighting in hockey, it was embarrassing, and you realize quickly while trying to explain, that there is no explanation/justification, its just wrong. We could end it over night especially in junior. If you fight, see you next season, if you get in a fight then, you are done. No one would ever fight again, and the game (and the children who love it) would be much better for it.

• frontenac1 says:

Better than trying to learn how at the pro level.

• Luke says:

Imagine a group of adults showing up at a high school and hoping the kids start fighting, and cheering when they do.

It’s odd. Very odd.

14. habstrinifan says:

Before I add yet another contribution to this exciting world of commentary, let me say that I concur wholeheartedly with Chris and Twilight that sitting in front a screen playing video games is not the best for kids.

Now let me see.. what issue shall I comment on…..

Oh wait……

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

• DipsyDoodler says:

Depends how long they play. Video games are pretty fun.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• Strummer says:

Moderation is needed certainly.
        They are good for developing hand-eye co-ordination

____________________________________________________
        “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• Luke says:

And problem solving, analytical thinking and teamwork, amongst other things. I’d rather a kid spend 2hours every night playing Call of duty instead of 2hours watching the bachelor or whatever.

• frontenac1 says:

My doctor used to talk to me about moderation. Now she just smiles and shakes her head when I see her.

15. sCOTT1243 says:

On White…. I liked him. He could skate, win face offs and would be willing to drop gloves if necessary. I feel he got through his stupid penalty phase but never really got a second chance. I would take him over Moen at this point, good luck to him.

16. rhino514 says:

Any of you guys out there know how much vision Malhotra has left in the injured eye?

17. thebonscott says:

Anyone know when summit weekend is???

C’mon guys this is not rocket surgery!!!!

18. HabFab says:

Hudon, Charles
    Nevins, Jack
    Sekac, Jiri
    Thomas, Christian

- Nygren has said he won’t play in Hamilton
    - 2-3 of these players probably make the Habs

I think only dmen have a chance of making Habs with an outside shot to Sekac given he has been playing pro hockey for a few years. Any chance Dumont had of making Habs went out the window when Malhotra was signed.

I think the player I am most anxious to watch in Hamilton this season will be Crisp and Sekac if on the roster.

Hopefully Hudon can be healthy, seems like it has been a few years since he has been healthy, his skill and instincts are top shelf but has been battling that back for some time.

• Mark C says:

Get on the de la Rose train before it’s too late people. Think the Habs brass love him and will have him on the fast track to the NHL. As soon as he shows he’s ready he’s in.

Yah, should have included him on the must see list this year. But can’t see him making the jump this year. He is probably the best forward prospect in our system.

• B says:

Hickey wrote that if de la Rose doesn’t make the Habs roster, then he will be loaned back to Leksands.

T.J. Hensick was signed to an AHL contract the other day. Likely to replace St.Pierre’s role.

–Go Habs Go!–

19. Hoping Prust stays healthy this upcoming season? IF Habs loose Prust for any amount of time could be costly in protection department.

• Kooch7800 says:

I think that is why Moen is still on the team. Prust will get hurt during the season for sure. Also, Prust took time off before the playoffs and really to me was one of our worst forwards in the post season. He says he wasn’t hurt but he did not look right out there.

It’s almost Genie time!

21. Strummer says:

I think Whitey still has a shot in the NHL.
    Edmonton or the Leafs will give you 3 years @ $3 million,
    all you have to do is turn down 2 years at the same money

____________________________________________________
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

22. GrosBill says:

I hope White goes out doing one last thing in Habland:

Topping his own post count on HiO from last summer.

Good luck to him. I don’t recall ever really complaining about him on the fourth line and his salary was in line with his role.

Hope he finds work elsewhere.

23. SC-1993 says:

If it’s about making the playoffs or a chance at winning the cup, whom ever MB decides to move out that’s great stuff. He appears to be a smart GM and is doing all the right things.
    I like all the personnel he has moved out and I wish them all the best. they worked hard while with Montreal and I’m sure all fans will agree but it’s time to go in the right direction. thanks MB keep it going.

24. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning all with thoughts and prayers to Ron and others in the Maritimes impacted by weather.

I understand the affection and loyalty folks have for the hard working guys like Gorges and White but as the roster continues to be improved by Bergevin, these moves seem to me to be a positive. We’re moving forward guys.

• Cal says:

Good morning, Jim. The Habs are moving on and it’s a very good thing. Improve every position to improve your chances to win. Simple philosophy, but so hard to accomplish. MB has done a lot in a short time. Now, if he can sign PK and Eller quickly, we can get on with summer.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Cal. Eller is a tricky one for me. He had such a wonderful playoff and such a blah regular season. I think Bergevin needs to be careful not to overpay.

PK? Would be nearly impossible to over pay for this guy. I know, my man crush is showing again.

CHeers bud.

• SC-1993 says:

You’re right Jim. at times Eller looks like a star and there’s times he looks like a 4th liner. like you said Bergevin needs to be careful not to overpay.

Pk I think is worth 8-mil per, he’s one of our future “D” if we’re gonna have a chance at winning a cup.

• twilighthours says:

Not much going on in the halifax area. Gusts and power flickers, but no rain here.

• JohnInTruro says:

Thanks Jim.

• Ron says:

Raining HEAVY here in Saint John for the last 4 hours. Its heading your way twi..

Legwand to Ottawa – 2 years/6M.

24 Cups

Small point of interest, Senators have loads of capspace yet Legwands contract is 2.5mill in year one and 3.5 in year two. Is this another example of Melnyk trying to save money, in the event they trade him next season? Just seems like a small oddity that I don’t quite understand.

26. Maritime Ronn says:

To goon or not to goon – that is the question

From here, the day of the “Staged Fight” is coming to an end…yet teams still need ‘Defusers’ to calm things down, and answer for opponent’s cheap shots on talented hockey players.

Take the LA Kings as an example.
    Every player that suits up on that team can play the game and is not a detriment on the ice.

They have 2 guys to cool things down when it starts getting out of hand:
    Kyle Clifford and Jordan Nolan.
    Both play from 9-10 minutes per game during the regular season AND the playoffs.

Nolan had 6 goals as did Prust last year
    Nolan Cap Hit: $700K. Prust: $2.5M

Clifford had 3 goals last year. Moen had 2
    Clifford Cap Hit:$1.07M. Moen:$1.85M

The players will tell you it’s good when a mate wins a spontaneous or emotion/pay back fight…yet much more important is actually answering the bell and calming things down.

These type of guys very rarely come to market and the reason why GMMB drafted or signed a few as UFAs – McCarron-Crisp-Nevins….they almost always need to be developed from within.

As of this moment, Prust will need some help.
    Guys like Weise or Tinordi can help a little, yet that should not be their roles.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Ronn and please stay safe. So glad you mentioned McCarron. Many of us see a 1st round draft pick and immediately think he should be the next star.

McCarron’s projection might very well be that of a solid 3rd/4th liner who can provide protection without the downside of a no-talent goon.

27. Maritime Ronn says:

Up a little early this AM as the Hurricane Arthur winds have shown up much earlier than predicted on South Shore NS
    Environment Canada gets it wrong again.
    What a surprise….
    Canadian Hurricane Center is another joke of a website.

Stay safe fellow Maritimers.
    100-120 KM winds are coming if you are on the western side of the track.

28. Habitant in Surrey says:

The Trusted Source of Czech Hockey

‘A Czech Perspective on Habs Forward Jiří Sekáč’; http://czechlist.allhabs.net/a-czech-perspective-on-habs-forward-jiri-sekac/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

…”So I’d say Sekáč will play in the third line, but you know Europeans, he won’t be like Brandon Prust or anybody like that. He’s not dirty or overly physical. I like to compare guys to Vladimír Sobotka all the time and Sekáč can be a similar kind of a player with a lot of effort. Sobotka’s probably has much more offensive upside, but like I said, I haven’t had proper time to evaluate Sekáč’s potential and abilities.

Anyway, trust me on this one. I’m usually right and Sekáč was brought in to replace Brian Gionta in a way. Don’t expect him to be a number-one leader just yet and don’t expect more than about 25 points from him. Canadiens fans have got a great character forward coming in and they should be looking forward to it. I love how Montréal has a good thing going now that a good GM is in place.”

____________________________________________________

Petition To Protest Roger’s Blacking Out Of Habs’ Games On RDS West Of Quebec

Read and sign at; http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-habs-blackout-rds

29. Habitant in Surrey says:

Dave Stubbs; “#Habs pick Brent Lernout from Swift Current. If you say you’ve found a better pic of a draftee, I’ll argue with you”

____________________________________________________

Petition To Protest Roger’s Blacking Out Of Habs’ Games On RDS West Of Quebec

Read and sign at; http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-habs-blackout-rds

30. JohnBellyful says:

Why, why, WHY did I stay up to watch the Ticats blow the game?
    Heads are gonna roll after this fiasco, starting with mine on the pillow.

31. Slackman says:

See ya Mighty Whitey. : * ) Heart and soul guy. Wish him great success….remeber this?!

———————————————————————————–
    “A Gypsy mutant industrial vacuum cleaner dances about a mysterious night time camp fire. Festoons. Dozens of imported castanets, clutched by the horrible suction of its heavy duty hose, waving with marginal erotic abandon in the midnight autumn air.”

32. fastfreddy says:

@CJ, I agree 100% with you regarding #1and#2 centres, we don’t have a real #1 centreman, at least not yet. Maybe Galchenyuk will become our #1. DD and Pleks are really #’s 2 and #3 C’s.

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

33. Un Canadien errant says:

We should take it easy on Eugénie. She’s twenty years old guys.

She grew up listening to Justin Bieber. He’s her pop idol. She doesn’t have the objective view of the situation that we have. We know he’s a punk, saw it all along, it’ll take her a couple of years to grow out of it, figure it out.

I once had KISS posters on my wall.

And yeah, her comments about the Stanley Cup could get us riled up, or we could understand that she’s never experienced a Canadiens Stanley Cup victory, never been to a parade, and has lived her very young life in Florida training with a laser focus on a tennis career.

Let’s leave it up to Alex to show her in the next couple of seasons what a Stanley Cup can mean.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

34. Un Canadien errant says:

***Re-posted from previous thread***

You know, calling the Fire Department when your house is on fire is kind of pointless. The damage caused by the flames, the smoke, all the water used to extinguish the blaze, the actual fireground operations, with chainsaws and axes and what have you, you’re not going to save anything.

The way to protect yourself is to build your house with fire resistant materials and construction techniques, to reduce fuel loads and ignition sources through good housekeeping, and make sure you have fire detection and suppression systems, smoke and CO2 detectors and sprinkler systems. Rely on a ‘family safety’ concept, make sure everyone is on board and fire smart. To resort to a fire department to protect you is a foolish mid-20th century mindset.

So yeah, I know, that electrical burning smell coming from the basement is getting stronger, but really, what are you going to do? Call the big red trucks with the big sirens? How’s that going to help? Sure, it’s spectacular and everyone enjoys the show, but it achieves nothing. I know someone who once called 911 and their house still burned to the ground.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

35. ClutchNGrab says:

I still don’t understand what a petition to Rogers will accomplish. I do, however, like the passion expressed by the fans outside of Quebec.

Quick question, could RDS sell its rights (the game that they broadcast) to TVA Sport for the territory west of Quebec? Would it be profitable to TVA? When RDS broadcasted their game west of Quebec was there any advertising from local companies or were the ads the same as the ones shown in Quebec?

36. durocher says:

Each forward line for the LA Kings was over 600 lbs. Here’s how the new Habs fare:

Max-DD-PAP (580)
    Chucky-Pleks-Gally (579)
    Bourque-Eller-Weise (642)
    BournID-Malhotra-Prust (610)

• CJ says:

I read an interesting article in Sports Illustrated regarding the construction of the LA Kings. It noted that when Lombardi took over, he inherited a team with 11 players under 6′. He now has one – Mike Richards. He wanted a big team, which is the same thing that Bergevin has said regarding the composition of our group. It just takes time.

37. NightRyder says:

Tip of the hat to “B” for this:

I had wondered where the mournful Stubbs goodbye was – and there it is! Shockingly including editorializing about how it was “unfair” that a hard-trying plugger who self-admittedly thinks he might have to play overseas or take a two-way deal, just kind of disappears.

Now, Stubbs is one of the best hockey writers I’ve read, but his obsequious fawning over spare parts in the last week has been a tad disappointing.

• zephyr says:

one can still have respect & friendship for the person. it’s very callous to meet & talk to people, maybe even to develop a relationship with them, & then discard them as if they were fodder. what’s the cost of saying some nice things about a guy who’s leaving? not everyone can be guy lafleur & part of the ‘what have u done for me lately?’ crowd.

• twilighthours says:

Given how you’re going on about it, Night, I think you’re more than a tad disappointed.

38. habstrinifan says:

Someone sarcastically wishing Toronto picks up White. Someone gratefully suggesting White try Toronto.

If you folks think Gorges in Toronto would be a bad thing… better cross your fingers and hope White doesnt land in Toronto.

Imagine White attacking any HABS player from Bournival to P.K to Pacs etc etc. White could take Prust.

If WHite goes to Toronto I am in the ‘get a goon’ camp. I know White isnt ‘big’ but White in Toronto means he will be looking to punch someone out every game between the teams.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

I am so happy the Leafs have already signed a bunch of 4th liners. White could indeed have been a good fit there and I wish him well. I want to cheer for him and can’t if he is in blue and white. Perhaps he finds a gig in Arizona or maybe Dallas as Gainey did draft him I think.

By the way Trini, saw your post about not losing toughness other than Murray, agree. Whitey and Parros are/were tough, but didn’t play enough minutes to be significant. However, still would be happy to see more added.

CHeers!

• Just imagine IF Whitey becomes a Bruin??? All hell will break loose on this site!!

39. durocher says:

Remaining needs:
    1) Sign PK
    2) Sign Eller
    3) Trade Moen ($1.8m for a 13th forward is not worth it)
    4) Trade Budaj (Ticker > Budaj)
    5) Obtain a goon

Would be nice:
    6) Obtain a scoring RW

40. UKRAINIANhab says:

We go on and on about LA but we could have easily went toe to toe with them If Kreider didn’t injure price. Yeah, I am sick of LA this, LA that, LAs centres. Geez, we were a top 4 team and will be right there again. GHG

Good night boys and girls!
    And especially the folks on the east coast tonight! and tomorrow!
    Be safe!

42. ClutchNGrab says:

Sorry if it has already been posted, but this is an interview from 1992 with MB in French.

Around 4:14 he explained why he felt he would never play for the Canadiens. Interesting stuff.

43. Cal says:

I am happy that the team is improving in increments. Yep, this means no more Gorges, a heart and soul guy, no more Gionta, another heart and soul guy, and no more White, yet another heart and soul guy. It’s all about the talent and the character, folks, not just the character. Murray had character and Parros was quite the character, too. The Cube had character, too.
    It’s time to move on.

44. JohnBellyful says:

Anyone wondering where Ryan White ended up, he got to play in the last minute of tonight’s win by the Alouettes.

45. JUST ME says:

I am surprised that Whitey did not get any offer. I would see him on a team that has everything to win like the Sabres ,the Oilers,the Flames,the Sens even the Laughs…

46. frontenac1 says:

So Jim Popp said he is working to get Michael Sam if he is cut by the Rams. Would he be cut because he is the first ball player to come out? Their loss, our gain. Sam would be a great rusher for the Canadian style game.

• Chris says:

No…he would be cut because he was always seen as a bit of a long-shot to make the NFL. They knew his story when they drafted him…I can’t see why that would now be the reason they cut him.

• frontenac1 says:

Popp thinks he is more cut out for the Canadian game too.”Not your proto typical NFL rusher” IE. Smaller, quicker and more agile. The kid had a brutal childhood but survived and succeeded. Talk about Character. Hope the Als get him.

• Slackman says:

Theres a chance the Als get Sam??!!

———————————————————————————–

• JUST ME says:

Nice convincing W by the Als tonight . Solid both on D and in offense. Do not know if number 85 will be there much longer though…

• frontenac1 says:

What’s the word on Chad?

• JUST ME says:

Did not catch a pass yet and all the other receivers Green ,London,Deslauriers are shining and Carter is coming back in the lineup next week and someone will have to be left in the stands so…
          Fair is fair and you have to use your best players. Not easy to get used to canadian football i admit but the Als have to do what it takes to win…

47. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I feel way more sorry for White than I do Gorges. Granted he made some bone-headed mistakes but he wasn’t given enough of an opportunity (unlike others who screwed up too). He could have at least played one game in the playoffs; especially with Prust hurt. I guess management feels he is replaceable by younger players. If White goes elsewhere, he’ll stay in the league. Wish him the best.

48. SC-1993 says:

MB is trying to put together a team whom has a chance at making the playoffs also a team that will keep the majority of the fans happy which makes it a lot easier for him and the coaching staff to keep their jobs till the young guys make it with the big team. if they faultier could mean the end for somebody and I don’t think MB want that, so the shuffle continues…sorry for Whitey, Life goes on.

49. ClutchNGrab says:

Anybody watch Parenteau taking a tour of the Brossard facility. In the locker, he pointed at Desharnais’s spot and said that want to be “not too far from him”. Is he friends with him? They both played for the Sagneens, but not together. Is it possible some players around the league really value playing with him?

I can’t grasp my mind around it, I thought his contract was a big mistake when signed, but he ended up being the best scoring center last year, even with a bad start.

Could he be the next captain?

But seriously, why his name is not in the survey? If Gallagher is there…

• twilighthours says:

He could not and should not, Sam-I-Am.

But he’s so much better than some think he is.

• Chris says:

I would actually make Desharnais the captain long before most of the guys on that list. He is a lot better than people give him credit for, like you said, and I think his rags-to-riches path through hockey gives him some gravitas as a leader by example. His ability to communicate in both official languages is obviously a plus, and I suspect he is a fairly well-liked guy by his teammates. If it went to a player vote, I still think Plekanec and/or Markov get the most votes, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Desharnais get more than a few.

All that being said, the likelihood of him not being around in 2-3 years would preclude him for me.

• CJ says:

If they are willing to trade Gorges, they will trade anyone, popular or otherwise. Personally, I agree with your comment. I don’t believe DD will be around in another 2-3 years. Most likely, quite a bit sooner.

The Gorges move solidifies the fact that this is a business. If the team feels it can upgrade the first line centre, they will make a move. In the interim, they remain patient knowing we have a decent roster with cap relief. It’s an enviable position to be in really. Much like the Kings, our best players are all 27 and under.

• JUST ME says:

For once i disagree with you CJ . DD deserves a spot on the roster and he will prove you wrong once again as he has since he played hockey at every level. This is his burden and he always comes out on top.
            The only way this guy goes is in a major trade involving Max also…

Nothing against DD. But, in fairness, here’s the issue;

Krejci-Bergeron
            Kopitar-Carter
            Getzlaf-Kesler
            Toews-Richards

DD-Pleks

Does anyone honestly think we can win a Cup with DD and Pleks as our 1 and 2? Flip them around, it makes no difference. DD worked his tail off this postseason, but as the hockey becomes tighter, he becomes less likely to produce. As others have admitted below, he’s an offensive specialist. If he’s not producing, then he’s not contributing. Pleks was invisible against the Rangers. Sorry to be so candid.

All of this holds no bearing on the captaincy. I simply think there’s better options. Cheers, CJ

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Yes Cj I personally think we can win with DD and Pleks… We beat Boston with them.

We could easily win with Subban and Price. Especially with Price in nets, anything can happen my friend

• CJ says:

With Price anything is possible. That I agree with. Maybe DD and Pleks are even good enough for the east. But, let’s be honest;

Getzlaf-Kesler
            Kopitar-Carter
            Toews-Richards

Can we match up with these guys? Respectfully, not a chance.

• CJ says:

Conversely, is the fact that DD was the number one centre an indictment on the quality of our centres 1-4? I like the guy. He works his tail off. Oh, and I really like that slick shootout moves he does which nearly always results in a goal and him standing up inside the net. BUT, the notion of DD being considered for captain just doesn’t sit well with me.

• NightRyder says:

You don’t want an undersized, hard-trying, well-liked, 15-goal, 55-point guy as your No. 1 centre and captain?
        Where were you during the 2000s?

• Phil C says:

I do not consider DD as the team’s number one centre. That would be Plekanec, who played in all situations at both ends of the ice. Plekenac got the most even strength ice time and total ice time of all centres. DD was an offensive specialist, a role in which he was well suited. Eller was used more in a defensive role, killing penalties, etc. DD and Eller were given almost identical even strength ice time, as Therrien likes to role his lines rather than line match.

As for the quality of the centres, Boston won a Cup without a bonafide number one centre, going instead with a balanced attack. The Habs have a similar type of team, at least for now. In a cap world, getting 50-60 points out of DD for $3.5M represents great value and means you have more money to spend on your third line.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Agree. Pleks is the best center

• CJ says:

Hold on. When Boston won the Cup Krejci was a point a game player. Their number two was Bergeron, who was also a point a game player, in addition to being arguably the best defensive centre in the league. That 1-2 combination is much, much better then what we have in DD and Pleks.

So, if Pleks was our number one centre, Gionta was a number one winger? Based on the performance in this year’s playoffs, if that’s our first line, we have a long, long way to go. Based on ice time you’re probably right, considering Pleks played 23:00 minutes in game six. Yikes, we might be further behind then I thought.

• Phil C says:

Krejci is a 60-70 point guy, Desharnais is a 50-60 point guy, not a huge difference. Plekanec and Bergeron have very similar career stats.

And let’s not forget that the Plekanec/Desharnais/Eller combination was good enough to knock out the Bruins/President’s Trophy winners this spring, with DD having a good series while Krejci was invisible. Crosby was useless the entire playoffs but I’m pretty sure all 30 teams would take him.

• CJ says:

We will need to agree to disagree. I don’t know what stats your referring to, but there is a significant difference between Bergeron and Pleks IMO. Not just points. Face offs, plus minus…..

In any event, we can all see it differently. My opinion is just that – an opinion. Cheers, CJ

• 416erHabsFan says:

It was just clever editing.

• Goldenchild says:

I was in Vancouver last October watching the Habs play the Canucks. I was at the hotel where the Habs stayed. On the way to the team bus i met Carey Price as well as PK Subban…here are the observations:
      1. Desharnais was visibly injured…hobbling on 1 leg….he was with Georges who was also hobbling, but no where near as bad as the former. I was sure that he would not be able to play but i was wrong. This apparent injury was what limited his points in the first half for sure. He looked very tired and could have used some rest.
      2. PK – did not travel with team on the bus…took a private limo. He was only player who was not with team.
      3. Carey was last on the bus and was extremely patient and kind with fans. He took the time to get a photo with my daughter….i was very impressed.
      I don’t think we have seen the best from Desharnais yet. A full season of health and another year of experience under his belt will provide us Habs fans with some great hockey.
      Have a great weekend.

• zephyr says:

I’ve said for a long time that dd is an elite playmaking ctr.. he’s also a good skater with some explosiveness. his only limitation is his size but it’s amazing how he levers his low ctr of gravity to his advantage. he must be very strong.

50. Chris says:

And the Tour de France, one of the toughest sporting events in the world kicks off tomorrow. Should be an interesting first week. The first couple of stages look tougher than the usual flat stages of early Tour stages. And Stage 5 features about 15 kilometres of cobblestones, which is as close to hell as you can get on racing road bikes. Most of the pros hate cobbles: one of my favourite cycling quotes about cobblestone racing came from Dutch racer Theo de Rooy, interviewed by John Tesh shortly after abandoning the Paris-Roubaix (“Hell of the North”) spring classic race:

de Rooy: “It’s a bollocks this race! You’re working like an animal, you don’t have time to piss, you wet your pants. You’re riding in mud like this, you’re slipping, it’s a piece of s___…”

Tesh: “Will you ever ride it again?”

de Rooy, not hesitating for a second: “Sure, it’s the most beautiful race in the world!”

• twilighthours says:

It’s a beauty.

Too bad about the doping, though.

• NightRyder says:

There’s no doping in cycling.

• Chris says:

Agreed. I honestly believe they have turned the corner on that problem, but it is going to be very difficult to guarantee that it is clean. (That, however, is true of all professional sports…pro tennis and soccer players were heavily implicated in Operation Puerto, but their names did not get out like those of the cyclists.)

The fact that we haven’t seen a repeat winner since the biological passport system was introduced is a good sign. The fact that so many of the top riders have been caught (Contador, Schleck, Basso, Rasmussen, Armstrong, Ullrich) and the fact that the code of silence of cycling seems to have been finally broken is helping a great deal…the risks of getting caught are starting to finally outweigh the benefits.

The thing I am looking for is the end of the Tour de France specialists. Lance Armstrong’s worst contribution to cycling was in somehow forcing the focus of the cycling world to be solely on the Tour de France. In the old days, you needed to be able to compete in all the Grand Tours (Giro d’Italia, Tour de France, and Vuelta a Espana) to be considered an elite cyclist. The pinnacle was winning two Grand Tours + the World Championships in the same year, last accomplished in 1988 by Stephen Roche.

The big riders would also ride a lot of the classics/monuments races . I’ve always been suspicious of guys that ride only the big races…it makes it a lot easier to get away with doping when you aren’t competing very often, as you only have to worry about out-of-competition testing.

• Mark C says:

Dog’s bollocks!

• Cal says:

The cheating throughout the sport from the lowest to the highest has left me to admire the amateurs and to not spend any time on professional cycling. The “tours” should be called off until they can properly monitor and quarantine the cyclists 24/7 during the races to ensure no bs. I guess they enjoy the cloud of doping and lying about it, instead.

51. JohnBellyful says:

Making the case against goons
    [give it a rest]
    [no, you give it a rest]

52. Chris says:

So Neymar is now out of the World Cup with a fractured vertebrae in his back after a brutal, jumping challenge that saw him take a knee straight to the spine.

I was watching the game at a local pub, and I loved all the comments about how much diving and crying there is in soccer. Well, there you go…one of those “innocent” incidents was a lot less innocent than it looked.

I’ve played soccer for years. I don’t like the ankle grab + roll routine that is adopted so many times to draw fouls. But some of the stuff that happens in these tournaments is just brutal. Hulk took kick right to the side of his knee while in full sprint…that HAD to hurt.

Some of the tackles on James were absolutely nasty. Neymar had his back broken. Guys stand in front of a one pound ball that can travel at speeds of 70-100 miles per hour (strong enough to break bones, as Nigerian Michael Babatunde found out). Many headers contains the same concussive potential as a forearm shiver in hockey.

I love the armchair comments about how soccer is a wimpy sport. There is some ridiculous stuff, but it is a pretty dangerous sport nonetheless.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Anyone who has played soccer knows it is a semi contact sport.

…especially for me, I play Keeper and my veins are killing me after the match i just had :)

• Chris says:

I’m a keeper as well. That shot of David Luiz’s today is my nightmare: a hard shot with no spin. Keepers haven’t a clue what those damned things are going to do. That was simply an amazing shot…the keeper maybe could have played it a bit better, but full credit to Luiz for smoking that one in there from that range.

One of my groups used to have an English guy who had a rocket of a shot that never had any spin. They were just brutal knucklers, and I took more than one off the face when it moved just as I was punching it. I **hated** my defenders when they let him get clear for a shot.

I know the physics of those shots, but I just can’t shoot like that. All of my shots have a ton of back- or side-spin. Getting top-spin or no spin on the ball is beyond my talent level.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Awesome Chris. You could tell the keeper just had no clue what it was going to do. Last thing you want to do is overplay it (which I did today). I took one in the face from point blank today and it still feels like the ball is on my cheek :).

• scamorza says:

Well then respect to the two of you, us keepers need to stick together

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Yes another one!!

• scamorza says:

Apologies thought. I was replying to Chris’ post ….blame it on a Friday night:-: see my post below a keeper in hockey but great deal of respect for football keepers!

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Same difference : )

• scamorza says:

Not crazy for pucks off the head but at least there is a mask. man that ball off the face hurts, thankfully haven’t experienced it further south…cup came in handy in hockey. I shudder to think of the crazy guys who put a sock down there when they forgot there jock at home :-)

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• Chris says:

The distinctive sound of a soccer ball hitting a guy in the nether regions is one of the worst in sports…every soccer player knows that sound. I’ve taken a few as the goalie, but the worst one I ever had was while lunging to block a shot as a defender, only to have the shot get deflected at the last second. I didn’t stand a chance…just had to crawl off the field and suffer through it. :)

• scamorza says:

Lol I commiserate with your pain. Ain’t it fun to lose your breath and semblance of being momentarily

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• frontenac1 says:

Sometimes Pro.Wrestlers actually get hurt too. It happens.

• twilighthours says:

They don’t do themselves any favours with the incessant diving. But it’s an amazing sport that’s full of skill. I love love love watching my daughter learn how to play it.

And it’s awesome that Brazil has a guy named Hulk.

• Chris says:

I coached 8-10 year olds for a few years…it is ridiculously fun watching kids that age learn to play.

My favourite moment ever came when one of my 10-year olds, a great kid who unfortunately had zero interest in playing sports, finally had a nice run up the sideline, getting by a couple of opposing players for what might have been the first time in his life.

His dad, a pretty sports-oriented guy, was just elated…he was jumping up and down encouraging his son to keep going. Just as the kid got in front of his dad on the sideline, he slammed on the breaks, turned to his dad and said something very close to “Dad, I’m not really the soccer type. I’m more of the coffee drinking, video-game playing type.”

I just about died laughing…I’ve never seen anything like it. All the parents from both teams sitting on the sideline were just peeing themselves in laughter. Needless to say, the kid wasn’t enrolled in soccer after that season. :)

• scamorza says:

Played hockey most of my life as a goalie and that can be fairly risky especially getting pucks in bad places. Once visiting some friends in Texas we played a pick up game of soccer so I naturally decided to be a keeper. one guy who played a little organized “football” kinda like playing midget or junior B hockey kicked the ball and it was like holy crap the ball hit me square in the face in a nanosecond after dippy and curving its way in. Have a great deal of respect for keepers since then. And you are right sure there is a lot of whining and diving but these athletes can get easily hurt, it can be a vicious game, see Brazil vs. Columbia and haven’t even brought up the neuro problems similar to hockey and NA football from repetitive heading the ball as you alluded to at great velocity

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• Chris says:

The neurological stuff is definitely a big, big deal in soccer. In Canada, 15% of all sports related concussions are suffered by soccer players, the highest percentage of any sport.

Ultimately, they will probably end up having to implement changes to the rules to account for the data as it comes in. I have zero doubt that data concerning brain trauma in soccer, rugby, football and hockey are going to change the way those sports are played at all levels.

Soccer has the advantage that heading, while an integral part of the game, can be removed, although it will require changes to a lot of rules to accommodate the lost tactic of heading as an offensive weapon. The lost goals will have to be made up for by increasing the net size, perhaps.

Maybe they will continue to let the pros do it, but youth sports are a really tricky area. I can definitely see the day coming soon where fighting is completely banned for minors in hockey, and I have a feeling it is going to get VERY difficult to continue offering football as a varsity sport in high schools due to the huge amount of data coming in about long-term brain trauma suffered by youth football players.

• scamorza says:

Lots of the science research shows it is the repetitive, accumulative aspect of “head shots” that can lead to many neurological issues so you are right- no surprise that soccer has the highest incidence in any sport. interesting to see if they ban it over time, FIFA seems to be the most conservative sports org when it comes to change after baseball ( see video review). Then again all it will take is a few law suits like in NA football and hockey to change minds, albeit very slowly

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• Chris says:

The lawsuits are coming, no doubt about it. I’m just waiting to see the first kid successfully sue their parents for suffering a concussion as a minor playing sports…that will be the death knell for a few sports.

As more deceased players have their brains donated to concussion research, the evidence is going to pass the point of no return. This is the main reason why I am 100% confident that we are witnessing the end of fighting in hockey. It might have 5 years, or 10 years…but I have zero doubt that it will be banned in my lifetime.

• scamorza says:

Some here won’t be amused by your prognostications!

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

53. ClutchNGrab says:

$3,842,500. That’s the amount of money 26 years old Ryan White has made so far, playing 141 games in the NHL and 179 in the AHL. In other word, if you’re making 100K per year, it will take you 38 years to accumulate the same amount of money Ryan White has made up to this point.

Love the guy, but there is no place for pity here.

• kevin says:

Power flickering her on PEI, better shut down, supposed to be a rough night weather wise, but supposed to be worse in Nova Scotia. Keep safe my friends, talk soon.

PEIKC

• CJ says:

Stay safe Kevin. We have a house booked for two weeks this summer on your beautiful island. Belle River I believe……

• kevin says:

things have settled down for a bit…………..hey, would love to share a pint with you, I live about 45 minutes from there. You’re a golfer?

PEIKC

• CJ says:

Yes, I love to golf. My folks have been before and tell me that the golf is spectacular. I’m down for a beer and/or golf. I believe we arrive on August 9th.

• frontenac1 says:

Yes. Hunker down amigo. A little Rum will help too.

• kevin says:

man, not much of a golfer but would love to have a beer with you. You’re about half an hour away from Brudenell and Dundarave courses and an hour from Crowbush. Plus there’s a pretty little 9 hole course about 10 minutes from where you’re staying. If you’re a serious golfer, you’ll think you’re in heaven.

PEIKC

• kevin says:

Thanks Front, can’t handle the rum, strictly a beer guy, but the thought counts.

PEIKC

• CJ says:

I like to think I’m serious. I’m nothing special, but I love to play. Regarding that beer, it would be my pleasure. Please keep me in mind as we move into August. I’ll forward my coordinates and we can go from there. Cheers, CJ

• kevin says:

For sure, we’ll be in touch, have a great night all, talk soon, don’t trade anybody without telling me first.

PEIKC

54. hitgurl says:

Whitey is the definition of a lunch pail player. Habs just have too many guys to keep him or I’m sure they would. Hope he gets a chance on another team to help.

55. stephen says:

With all of the talk lately of the Habs needing another top-6 winger, I can’t help but return to a player I would love to see in their lineup next year: David Perron.

What do you reckon would be the asking price in a trade?

• CJ says:

I see others saying we need a top six. Excuse my ignorance, but if everything remains the same – no further personnel moves from outside the organization, won’t we look something like;

Max-DD-Parenteau
      Chucky-Pleks-Gally
      Bourque-Eller-Weise
      Prust-Maholtra-Bournival
      Moen

I mean, those pieces can move around, but where’s an addition fit? IMO, if we add, we are also going to need to subtract (trade).

• Habbergasted says:

Swap Bournival and Weise.

• kevin says:

definitely, if we add, someone(s) have to go, and it won’t be pretty.

PEIKC

• stephen says:

Meh, you’re all a bunch of party-poopers. ;)

To be honest, I hadn’t sat down to put any lines together, so I was really only responding to the recent calls for added artillery.

I guess Perron just represents an ‘ideal world’ scenario, as I’ve always liked the edge to his game.

• CJ says:

If Perron could stay healthy, he’d be a real bonus. I loved his game last season. There is a natural attraction to a home grown talent. My point was singular in purpose and only meant to illustrate the logjam that currently exists. I did not mean to veto your suggestion. If Perron is added, someone is subtracted from the roster. Cheers, CJ

56. frontenac1 says:

Troy finally finding his groove? Als 20 -0 in the 3rd.

• NightRyder says:

Smith is just not an accurate thrower.
      The Lions, sadly, are dog-droppings.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

He is a great qb.

Watched him at Ohio State twice.

• NightRyder says:

He is a great athlete. He is not a great CFL QB.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

College qb. He can’t hear you over his heisman ;)

• frontenac1 says:

Takes time. Different game from the U.S. Troy didn’t win a Heisman by being a stiff. A little patience.

• NightRyder says:

Matt Leinart, Jason White, Tim Tebow, Eric Crouch, Chris Weinke, Danny Wuerffel, Gino Toretta.
            You might not be a stiff, but being a Heisman winner doesn’t translate automatically into pro success.
            Smith isn’t an accurate enough thrower. Since he’s almost 30, I don’t see him suddenly discovering how to complate 65-70% of his passes.
            Als have a solid O-line though, so he could get by as a game manager.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

For everyone you said Someone could counter saying all the good heisman winners but you are defenitely right NightRyder.

• NightRyder says:

The last Heisman trophy winning quarterback to win a Super Bowl was Jim Plunkett, who won the trophy in 1970.
            I left out Charlie Ward, Andre Ware, Ty Detmer and others.
            The jury remains out on Cam Newton, Sam Bradford, RGIII, Johnny Football and Jameis Winston.
            There’s a better chance that Heisman QBs fizzle out than become super studs.

• frontenac1 says:

You could be right amigo. I’m just willing to give him a bit more time to see if he gets it going in the Canadian game.

• NightRyder says:

He’s smart and athletic and behind a good O-line. Not the worst situation, you never know.

57. UKRAINIANhab says:

May fortune favour you Ryan. Good luck

58. kalevine says:

Being as I live in Boston, I was aty most peripherally aware of the movie “La Grande Seduction” that came out 10 years or so ago. I just saw the English version in which they moved the setting to Newfoundland. When the cricket-obsessed doctor goes to the bathroom, they quicky switch to the HABS game, NOT the LEAFS game. Ahem…Canada’s team

• CJ says:

My brother just moved out of Boston. Well, Brookline actually. Moved to Toronto. His new company put him up in Yorkville, but he’s just bought a place in the beaches. Brookline was very, very nice. At the risk of being burned at the stake, I also really like Toronto. He’s lived in three different areas, all amazing.

I loved visiting. We enjoyed the chart house on long wharf, the union oyster house, mike’s pastry and bell in hand for beers.

• Habbergasted says:

Grab your torches and pitchforks!

• scamorza says:

Hey as a n ex-Montrealer living in the GTA it ain’t so bad. Actually I really like it here and it is home . Of course 250,000 ex- Montrealers has something to do with it. It’s no longer Toronto the good. And it goes without saying that none of us have changed our team allegiances. nothing sweeter reading the Toronto rags after the habs beat the laffs!

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

59. kalevine says:

God luck to someone who certainly seemed to be the sort of character guy Bergevin craves. I hope he lands on his feet and has a good NHL career

60. CJ says:

Good evening folks.

I understand and appreciate that this is a Canadiens fans forum, but in the interest of steering the conversation in a different direction, in addition to the fact that I’m out of new material, I thought I’d weigh in on the Spezza trade. In short, I believe that Ottawa has bested the Dallas Stars. My opinion runs contrary to the overwhelming sentiment. Allow me to defend;

Firstly, Spezza is at the absolute pinnacle of his valuation. His stock will never be higher, due to his age, his physical condition, and the system (or lack thereof) that he has played within. He was allowed to abandon defense, in lieu of scoring opportunities. As such, he’s established himself as a point a game player. Mark my words, he will never equal his highest point production again. In this regard, the Sens have sold high.

The Stars on the other hand have sold low. They have given up a player (Chaison), who is just beginning to scratch at the surface of his potential. Unlike Spezza, I see anywhere between 20-40% point production increase – on the low end. He could, on the right line and provided the right opportunities (PP), see a 40-60% point increase. Further, for each subsequent year that Spezza begins to decline, Chaison should continue to trend positively.

Now, over and above Chaison, the Sens pick up two prospects. Prospects are always more difficult to evaluate, so I won’t even begin to speculate. What we do know is the difference in cap space. The cost savings are vital in a cap system, especially for an organization who has an internal cap.

Lastly, the Sens added a draft pick in 2015, which is rumoured to be one of the deeper drafts in recent history. Again, it’s nearly impossible today to evaluate the merits of this selection, but the pick does hold value.

So, in summary, the Sens sold high and bought low. The Stars bought high and sold low, and have also gambled by putting three pieces in play. If even one of these three pieces becomes an NHL player, this could really provide Ottawa with a bonanza. Lastly, many throw around the term character. On a scale in which character is measured 1-5 (5 best 1 worst), Spezza is a 0. So, for all these reasons, I believe Ottawa has bested the Stars.

61. Chris says:

Toronto would not be a bad fit for White. Same with Edmonton…they need some grit, and White can give that. And there’s still a chance that he could provide a bit more offence than he showed in Montreal if he’s given a little leash.

• CJ says:

If White ends up in Toronto, I’ll throw up. Sorry to be so crude, but that would be one of three worst case scenarios (Boston and Ottawa ride shotgun).

• scamorza says:

Agreed Edmonton it is and closer to home

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• CJ says:

Sadly for White, I think the choices will be few and far between. He might have to take the first one way offer that comes along. Otherwise, his best hope might be a two way deal, Europe or the KHL, none of which would be particularly pleasing after having been in Montreal.

• scamorza says:

Good character guy and you are right will be interesting to see where he ends up but ya know he is a pro hockey player isn’t’ that neat? how many of us would die for that chance. unlike you not a golfer but raised money for various charities at tournaments and one guy who helped was a 6-7 dman who won a cup with Colorado. Smart guy played in US college and had a business degree to fall back on so I was psyched for him to be at our tournament and he had ” I was a two bit player attitude”and I am like what you won the STANLEY cup playing with Sakic and Forsberg!… How many of us would wish to play in a pro league anywhere. Good luck Whitey

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

62. Say Ash says:

Shouldn’t have cut the hair

• 416erHabsFan says:

he was supporting a relative or close friends daughter that was going thru cancer treatment. That’s the type of guy he was. He was one of my favorites and always worked his A$$ off. You will be missed White, it’s too bad things didn’t work out.

63. Habitoban says:

Nice to see Whitey staying classy. I don’t think he got that fair a shake from the team. His failure to grow as a player was mostly due to how he was used. For his first couple of years, he was put into a role that was not of his making and that he was not especially suited for, that of Habs policeman (especially for stretches when Moen was hurt). His development as a a player suffered as a result. With more heft in the lineup this past year, White was able to relinquish that role to a guy like Prust and you could see his play start to improve. Too bad the Habs couldn’t find room for him.

64. PK says:

On another note, Seattle is once again being rumored to get an NHL franchise. This time, Gretzky’s name surfaces.

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

“Une équipe de hockey sur glace de l’île de Mont-Royal va gagner la Coupe de Lord Stanley à 24 reprises dans le 20e siècle et trois fois au cours du 21e siècle.”

– Nostradamus, 1552

65. NightRyder says:

Reminds me of when Glenn Goldup left. You can’t replace guys like that.

66. HabsKid says:

Wow! That chokes me up a bit. I always thought he was a good kid that never got a fair shot. He seemed to need structure and was much improved this past season. He always showed up which is more than can be said for some.

• frontenac1 says:

You bet amigo. I could give a sh#t about all the heartbreak for Gorges and Gio and their multi million bucks. This Whitey situation is a disgusting travesty.

• kevin says:

I feel bad for the kid too, he always gave 100 per cent, maybe too much by times but his heart was in the right place. Saw him play live in Buffalo this past November, he is a nice skater.

PEIKC

• CJ says:

I agree Front. I’d rather have White as our 13th forward making $750k, then watch Moen sit in the press box while counting $1.85 million against the cap. It’s not that I don’t like Travis, but it’s curtains for number 32. He’s taken too many head shots (sticks, skates and punches) in the past three years. For those suggesting we have team toughness, then include Moen as a member of the tough brigade, well, let’s just say I respectfully disagree…..

• NightRyder says:

Moen is one middling head shot away from having porridge for brains. He needs to pack it in.

• kevin says:

I would think most of us aren’t even counting Moen in any equation whether it’s scoring, PK, PP or toughness.

PEIKC

• NightRyder says:

Unfortunately, he counts in the salary cap equation.

• CJ says:

I lost track of the number of posters who have identified him as a tough player. I just hope we get some help. Nothing crazy, just some insulation. Otherwise, expect Prust to be out by November and Tinordi sinking or swimming having to learn on the job. My only hope internally is Nevins.

• kevin says:

I realize that, but I expect he’ll spend most of the year in the press box, how many guys do you sit there? As great as a guy as he was/is, (White)we have more than enough coming up the pipes with equal or more talent. How long does a team keep players like this and is it fair to Ryan White to keep him and sit him game after game? Now he can look for other opportunities.

PEIKC

• frontenac1 says:

Yep. It’s just not right. Something stinks. I just don’t get it.

• Habbergasted says:

I agree why not keep White? Because he gets mad and punches people?….

67. SC-1993 says:

I hate to see whitey go but MB is much better at managing than we are so he must see something that he’s not happy with we don’t see… Good luck whitey, I hope NJ picks you up, they would be a good team to play for.

68. NightRyder says:

No tearful goodbye from Stubbs detailing how White was a future assistant captain?

69. Habbergasted says:

I hope he doesn’t go to Boston and take out his frustrations on les Canadiens

Now, let’s take that b!tch to over 3000 posts.

71. PK says:

Hope Whitey manages to get signed by a Western conference
    team. Good luck to Ryan.

Oh, here is our window of opportunity to beat Ryan White’s old thread (number of comments: 3800 or close to 4000?).
    Tall order ….

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

– Nostradamus, 1552

72. Strummer says:

Try the Leafs Whitey- they’ll take anyone.
    Most undesirable UFA destination now surpassing Edmonton, Winnipeg and Vladivostok

____________________________________________________
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

73. fastfreddy says:

First???????

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

• Strummer says:

photo finish

____________________________________________________
      “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.