Former Hab Ryan White looking for a new team

The Canadiens did not make a qualifying offer to forward Ryan White before Canada Day, making him an unrestricted free agent.

As of Friday afternoon, White was still looking for a job after spending five seasons with the Canadiens.

On Friday, speaking from his home in Brandon, Man., White told The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs he’s waiting to see what might come along.

“My agent is doing most of the due diligence. I’m waiting by the phone and seeing what’s going on,” the 26-year-old said. “As of now, we’re just patiently waiting to see what the best opportunity is going to be.”

White told Stubbs that a handful of teams have been kicking his tires, and neither he nor agent Craig Oster have a date set before possibly looking for a team in Europe or in Russia’s Kontinental Hockey League. White added that some NHL teams are offering two-way contracts.

“I’m kind of waiting to see if I can get myself a one-way and get an opportunity to play some more minutes in the league,” White said.

“I want to give myself an opportunity to play in the NHL. Even if it means I have to take a two-way somewhere, I’m confident that I can go to another team and show them what I can do. Hopefully, they like what they see.”

In 52 games last season, White had two goals and four assists.

“I just want to say thanks to the fans for a lot of great memories, and for how special it was playing in Mecca of the hockey world,” White told Stubbs. “The Canadiens treated me and my family with nothing but respect and I loved every minute of it.”

(Photo by Allen McInnis/The Gazette)

White gave heart, soul and a tooth to Habs, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Defence first for Habs’ Dream Weaver, by Gazette Sports Editor Stu Cowan

1. Habcouver says:

New thread

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

2. SC-1993 says:

some see the Habs as a better team than last year. On the back end I would say yes, up front no. Right now we would have to count on the defense and Goaltending to save the day…

3. Trollhunter says:

Looks like Scherbak isn’t the only drafted player with a sense of humor. Brett lernout

S G

4. Steven says:

As a Greek, I’m happy to see Costa Rica out.

They were an okay team that lived and died on the back of their fantastic goaltending. It would have been a shame to see them take out not one, but two good teams simply due to the efforts of one player.

That being said, none of CRC, GRE, or NED has much of a chance against the Argentinian powerhouse.

• jols says:

Agree about Greece and CRC but the Netherlands will give Argentina all they can handle and maybe more. Any of the final 4 teams would be worthy champions. It’s going to be interesting. No European country has ever won on South American soil. I think that might change next week.

5. Strummer says:

Wow- Tim Krul comes of the bench to tend goal in the shootout.

And wins the match!

Not sure that tactic could work in hockey

____________________________________________________
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

6. Mavid ® says:

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

7. Habitant in Surrey says:

I’m Dutch and Anglo, so at least one of My teams won

If Netherlands out, My support would have been with Costa Rica.

All that being said, the shoot-out is one cruddy way to decide a World Cup game.

____________________________________________________

Petition To Protest Roger’s Blacking Out Of Habs’ Games On RDS West Of Quebec

Read and sign at; http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-habs-blackout-rds

8. on2ndthought says:

Proud of my Magpie Krul, replacement tender for the dutch: 2 shootout saves!

I was wondering about that when we had Ascheider(?), who was a very good shoot-out tender.
    “a cannonading drive”

9. habstrinifan says:

I probably would have punched that freaking Dutch goalie if he came up in my face as he did to a Costa Rican player… but I gotta admit he is one BAD-ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Reminds me of Claude Lemieux… you want him on your team but you know he is a major a-hole.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

10. jols says:

Wow. The right team won. 2 great semi-finals coming up and in the end the Germans win – of course.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Can’t wait for Germany to beat Brazil

• habstrinifan says:

It’s not a given anymore, based on their last matches, that Germany will beat Brazil. Did you see Brazil in their quarterfinal. Superb skill, energy, togetherness, drive, etc. And Naymar’s(?) loss wont be as huge as if Argentina lost Messi for instance. In the quarterfinal he was hardly a factor, becaue the entire Brazilian team was on fire.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

• on2ndthought says:

they have to survive the first 25 minutes. (oops forgot, no Neymar, man that guy can fly! He runs faster WITH the ball than players chasing him)

“a cannonading drive”

• habstrinifan says:

But that’s just it he runs like crazy with the ball but because it is all speed (he actually shows lot of the ball on that run) his play-making options are almost non existent then.

Once he recovers he’s gonna have to bulk up those thighs to maintain a long top flight career. He will lose speed but his Brazilian playmaking skills will probably come to the forefront.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

11. 1010 says:

Brilliant coaching. Kreul picked the right side every time and it`s a wonder he didn`t stop more of them.

GO HABS….

12. UKRAINIANhab says:

STUPID play puttin in Kreul! STUPID

13. 1010 says:

It sure is fun to watch this when you`re not biting your nails and closing your eyes.

GO HABS…

14. UKRAINIANhab says:

Penalties up next…

“Soccer is boring”

Love that comment

15. jols says:

Unbelievable.

16. habstrinifan says:

I am reading that now that Subban has filed for Arbitration 3 things are possible.

1)HABS and Subban work out contract before arbitration date.

2)They go through the arbitration process which means:
    Subban gets 1 yr contract which he must accept and then
    becomes UFA.

or Subban gets 1 yr contract which HABS reject and Subban
    immediately becomes UFA.

The questions I am asking for confirmation…
    IS Arbitrator’s ruling limied to 1yr… and then YES SUBBAN
    becomes UFA…. thus in essence gaining 1 yr reprieve
    from HABS owning his rights.

I think it was wise for Eller to go to arbitration. If the salary suggested for Eller by HIO is any indicatio then Eller is undervalued in Habsland. I am taking bets that if they do go through to arbitration Eller gets 3 mill minimum.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

17. jols says:

Wow, Costa Rica has been hanging on for dear life since the opening whistle. They have had some good luck as well. If they can drag this to penalty kicks it becomes a coin flip.

18. on2ndthought says:

Following up on the EOTP debate linked below. Who is the best UFA heavyweight enforcer who can play 10 minutes a game (even if he only plays 50% of the games)?

“a cannonading drive”

19. JohnInTruro says:

Antoine Roussel would look good in a Hab jersey.

20. Habitant in Surrey says:

This is a tough game to watch, Netherlands my favourite, but little Costa Rica My sentimental favourite :)

____________________________________________________

Petition To Protest Roger’s Blacking Out Of Habs’ Games On RDS West Of Quebec

Read and sign at; http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-habs-blackout-rds

21. jols says:

The Dutch just can’t seem to buy a goal. They are all over Costa Rica but it looks like it will go to extra time.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Robben flopping is getting old eh

• jols says:

Unbelievable how he flops and rolls all over the place. And he still gets the calls.
        Wow can’t believe the Dutch didn’t just score.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Amazing! I have no clue how that one sequence did not end up in the net.

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

If the river was whiskey, and I was the diving Dutch…

Man, I started out pulling for the Netherlands. No more! The great thing about being Canadian during the World Cup is we have such mixed ancestry, we can dump a team in a heartbeat if it disgraces itself. There’s always another set of ancestors to be loyal to.

• 1010 says:

Yeah he flops but he is also the hardest working dude on the field who puts himself in position to get the calls. On a related topic I realize that FIFA has a formula for rating these guys but I can`t believe they had England ahead of Holland in the world rankings. I would have bet a pay cheque that the Dutch would make it farther. England has disappointed for years. And I don`t say that because I am a Netherlands fan. Just observing what looks wonky.
          GO HABS…..

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Yep. Ukraine is 17 so I like how they do it ;)

• jols says:

It was Spain, Germany and the Netherlands – 1,2,3 for the longest time and then the Netherlands fell in the FIFA rankings. I’m not sure exactly why but I guess they lost a few friendly’s ? Not sure though. They deserve to be much higher then they are.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Euro 2012 and there friendlys were not good

• habstrinifan says:

YEP YEP YEP!

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

22. Max_a_million says:

Well with PK going to arbitration we will have a quicker solution, and no offer sheets for certain. I can’t see mb letting it go to arbitration.

23. huge_polar_bear says:

PK is going to file for arbitration. Not sure how this works out well. Arbitration is never a good thing…

• CJ says:

Here’s the good news. He and Eller, having both filed for arbitration, can not sign an offer sheet. These are milestone dates and part of the process. To provide context, an employer or employee may file a no board report. It does not however mean that they will strike. Players are going to leverage their rights, while the organization will exercise theirs.

I have every confidence that PK will be in camp. There is no rush to get the deal done this weekend.

• huge_polar_bear says:

I am not up on my arbitration knowledge. So now they have to abide by a date right? Either Habs sign PK prior to the date set for arbitration, or go through with it and accept the arbitrator’s decision? Is that it? So basically he is guaranteed to be at camp.

24. db says:

I love that the Bruins hate us so much. I think this is a great time to offer sheet both Smith and Krug, make that team scramble for real. Don’t play nice MB, it’s not like you’ll ever trade with them!

I wonder if Dave Stubbs or Pat Hickey could answer this question. I thought that Brian Gionta was one of the first Hab captains to be appointed captain by management and not a player vote. I stand corrected.

24 Cups

• eric says:

I think it was JM that gave him the “c” after one year of not having a captain. I think up till then the players voted for the captain

26. Max_a_million says:

The players will choose a captain, it doesn’t matter if we want PK or not. Players will most likely go with a vet.

27. Max_a_million says:

JF is on track, one more point. We got first dibs. We got the players we wanted without overpaying. Other teams overpaid, other teams settle for 2nd, 3rd, 4th options.
    We got exactly the players we wanted for a good price. That’s huge, Detroit is scrambling, Boston was raided …

28. durocher says:

PK for Captain is tempting, though we have to be careful about thrusting too much responsibility on a talented, though exciting, player. See Ovechkin, Alexander.

Frankly, I think an “A” for him at this point would be plenty respect and acknowledgement of his importance on the team. I’d give the “C” to Markov, with “A”‘s to Prust, Pleks, and Subbie. (Other teams have three “A”‘s, some even have four.)

29. JF says:

I have seen three different grades for the Habs’ free-agency moves. One site gave us a C+, one a B+, and a third an A. I guess it depends what the different writers were looking at. Adding an impact player (Spezza, Stastny) tended to earn a high grade, handing out a bad contract or over-paying (Derek Engelland, Brooks Orpik, Dave Bolland) got a low grade. In our case, we did neither of those things, but instead made a series of smallish moves that combine to give the team quite a different look.

I don’t know whether the Habs will be any better next year, but I like Bergevin’s moves; and what I like most is that they were all made with the future in mind. No signing is for more than two years, meaning that no doors were closed for our young prospects who are close to breaking into the League. For a team like the Habs, on the cusp of becoming one of the League’s elite teams, this is extremely important. The signings temporarily plug some holes that will be filled sooner rather than later by our own young players. At the same time, Bergevin added a bit more size to the lineup, as well as balance and mobility to the defence. And he did it while managing the cap for next season and without tying his hands by giving long contracts to players whose role is only temporary. Overall, I think Bergevin’s moves reflect the view he stated in his season-ending press conference, that the Habs are a good team, but a team that still has some maturing to do. What his free-agent transactions did is buy us some time.

The only things I worry about are whether we’ll be tough enough and whether we’ll be able to score enough goals. Even-strength scoring is likely to be a problem, although having a more mobile defence should help; and I’m hoping that whoever the team hires to replace Gerard Gallant will prove to be a wizard at coaching the powerplay.

30. CHicoHab says:

Habitant in Surrey- I said he “may not have”. Norris Trophy in a short season is worthy of course but still will always have an asterisk.

31. CHicoHab says:

PK may not yet have earned his stripes to captain this team. But I truly would love to see him get it. He seems to be the only one on the ice or bench who is 150% into the game as it’s being played. Always talking, always directing, always playing every shift like it was his last. He’s got the gift of gab. He’s exciting to watch. He’s inspirational to his team mates. And most of all it would piss off all my Leaf buddies were he to captain the most storied hockey franchise and enemy given he’s from Toronto!!

• Habitant in Surrey says:

A Norris Trophy and He has not ‘earned’ His stripes ?

• Omit says:

HIS
        What has that got to do with it?

Bobby Orr was never a captain and he owned the Norris trophy when he played.

“Time wounds all heels”. – J.L.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

Bobby was a leader that I believe didn’t want or need a C to be a leader

In contrast, I believe P.K. is a leader that wants to be a leader, and the C will be responsibility to make Him grow as a Player

They are 2 very different personalities

32. jols says:

If anyone is bored there is a good read on the ‘eye on the prize’ site.
    Go to the comments on the thread ‘ who’s in and who’s out’. About half way down in the comments a guy with the name gravatar37 chimes in and a debate ensues. This guy is the master of internet debating. It is a fun read no matter which side of the toughness debate you are on.

• CH Marshall says:

Had no idea they have raging debates over there on EOTP! Albeit much about Mr. Fenwick & Mr. Corsi

• New says:

Thanks Jols. That guy (avatar37) is a pleasure to read…don’t know about EOTP…but avatar37 certainly is.

In a league where breaking someone’s composite stick is two minutes but crosschecking, slashing, and spearing are permitted stats can be used to prove or disprove pretty well anything. Nice to see someone calmly wade through fallacious arguments. Sad to see no one could come back with anything but.

• John Q Public says:

That was good.
      Can we maybe do a deal with Eotp ?
      2 HIO members for avatar37 :lol:

• Omit says:

jols

I wasn’t bored before, but I sure was after reading gravatar37′s long, repetitive diatribe about the why the Habs will probably not make the playoffs next year because Bergevin doesn’t know what he is doing.

“Time wounds all heels”. – J.L.

33. Habitant in Surrey says:

Almost 1, 175 have signed Our on-line petition for Roger’s.

Through Twitter and Facebook We are hoping to reach beyond HIO exclusively.

I have been amazed by how many Habs Fans that are spread around North America and overseas that seem unaware of HIO.

A week ago I had 3 Followers on Twitter, an account I had registered a few years ago but never ever used, until the Roger’s issue raised it’s ugly head.

This morning I wake up and I find almost 300 are Following Myself and the issue.

One of Our Commentariat suggested I register a Group Page on Facebook. I will look into that.

Another prominent member of HIO said He will host a specific web-page for the issue, and another page for the forth-coming ‘Campaign To Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !’ (which if Roger’s was not an immediate issue I would have started-up already. :) )

So thank You sincerely to those stepping-up and giving Me offers to help.

I am hoping the Roger’s will trend enough to make a point to Roger’s TVA and Bell that a product is there to be made to hockey’s largest most diverse Fan base.

____________________________________________________

Petition To Protest Roger’s Blacking Out Of Habs’ Games On RDS West Of Quebec

Read and sign at; http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-habs-blackout-rds

34. Habitant in Surrey says:

This revamp of the Team is the PERFECT time to designate P.K. Subban the Captain of the Montreal Canadiens.

A delay will be foolish.

P.K. is a Leader.

P.K. will be the Leader of this Team for the next 6 to 10 years.

The responsibility of the C will shape P.K., not the other way around.

____________________________________________________

Petition To Protest Roger’s Blacking Out Of Habs’ Games On RDS West Of Quebec

Read and sign at; http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-habs-blackout-rds

• CJ says:

I hold a similar opinion. Price is the leader, while PK is the Captain. That’s the present and future of our organization. Further, and not many will like to hear this, but they are also the only two untouchable pieces in our organization. I’d move anyone else, but I’d fight tooth and nail to retain PK and Price. Max is a distant third….

35. Habitant in Surrey says:

My efforts, so far, on the #RogersPetition here and on Twitter indicates true concern and resentment to what has transpired, specifically for Montreal Canadiens Fans as a result of Roger’s control of broadcasting rights beginning this coming season.

Some say Roger’s bought the rights and they can do as they please.

I, and others not so gullible, say ‘not so fast, bucko !’

The Montreal Canadiens is not just a ‘hockey franchise’ like any other, it is a national insitution important to folks from Whitehorse in the Yukon to Conception Bay Newfoundland.

The Montreal Canadiens represent also the largest most-diverse hockey Fan-base in Canada, coast to coast to coast. To say Roger’s can’t make a financially feasible product of a Habs’ Channel, or have a cooperative partnership with TVA and Bell’s affiliates, TSN & RDS is bunk.

It is something if We do not show Our frustration and rejection of, Roger’s indeed will do as they please.

Do not underestimate the power of bad press, lost business and incensed Habs’ Fans I say.

It’s of cultural importance to Francophones across Canada, not only in Quebec, Eastern Ontario, and the Maritimes. With enough vituperation this has also the potential to become a cultural and political issue.

So, let’s keep pounding away at Roger’s, and not let-up until there is an affordable product for all income-groups of Habs’ Fans across Canada to watch Their treasured Team play it’s full schedule in a way that is not convoluted and expensive for everyone.

It may not happen over-night, it may be deathly resisted by the cone-heads at Roger’s in Toronto. But, let’s not waver until Roger’s has created a simili of an affordable Habs Channel for all Montreal Canadiens games available across Canada, preferably with options of hearing the game either in French or English.

I’m sure if Roger’s marketed that the right way, that will be a win-win for both Rogers and Our Fans.

____________________________________________________

Petition To Protest Roger’s Blacking Out Of Habs’ Games On RDS West Of Quebec

Read and sign at; http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-habs-blackout-rds

36. JF says:

After all the hype about Eugenie Bouchard and, to a lesser extent, about Milos Raonic, it is our unheralded third young player, Vasek Pospisil, who wins a Wimbledon title. Pospisil and the American Jack Sock just beat the Bryan brothers to win the Men’s Doubles championship. Pospisil has had an absolutely horrible year so far, so this will be great for his confidence.

• FormalWare says:

Terrific match, too! The Bryans played extremely well, and the “PopSocks” beat them, anyway.

Tremendously proud of young Vasek!

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

• JF says:

Likewise. Pospisil had a great season last year, but has struggled with injuries and confidence since then. I’m hoping this title will help get him going again.

Good article in La Presse about McCarron.

Basically:

- is eager to prove himself
    - trained intensely over the summer
    - coach predicts and expects that his points production will improve next season
    - is still growing into his already massive frame and because of this has work to do developing his coordination (think Jared Tinordi)
    - coach predicts he’ll get better because he is willing to make the right sacrifices and has a great attitude

38. Cal says:

The unexpected Wimbledon champion from Canada this year is Pospisil. He teamed up with Sock of the US and won the men’s doubles title.
    Good on them!

Bumped up repost… because I think it is premature to hand the captaincy to Subban next season.

Subban should become captain only if it is done by a vote.

By that I mean a players vote. (I also think they should vote the captain at the beginning of each season, but that’s me.)

I just don’t think it should be handed to Subban. Problem with a vote is potential factions or splits in the room could ensue. My choice of the young guns is Gallagher, but I don’t get a vote.

I do support the idea of a player vote and stick to my idea that it should happen each season.

On the other hand I also believe that seniority and experience does have value, which puts Markov and Plekanec at the forefront. Of those two my preference, by a wide margin, is Markov.

This is where it gets tricky, because if the Habs hand it to Markov bypassing a vote I would be OK with that, but not Subban.

My point is this. If it is to be Subban, I think it has to be unanimous or close to it in the dressing room for it to work. I haven’t followed Subban’s career but I am pretty sure he has never been a captain and has rarely if ever worn the “A”. I think he has the intelligence and character to be one in the future, but is still too young and I would use Koivu as an example, who in my opinion was handed the captaincy way too early in his career.

• Cal says:

PK is the man for the captaincy. Hands down, how he handled all those bigoted tweets with class and respect, how he turned that series around after that water bottle squirt from Thornton, and how he handles the media.
      He has grown up. He’s ready. This is PK’s and Price’s team.
      Oh, and no vote. That’s what led to the split during all of Koivu’s tenure.
      Management names the captain. If you’re not on board as a player, a trade is always an option.

• ont fan says:

I have to think management has a pretty good bead on who should be the next captain and who the players would like. The players know who the leaders are whether they have a letter or not.

• PK says:

I would give the C to PK.
        He can carry himself with the media.
        However he and his family felt during the Boston series, PK publicly handled himself with class (re: the racist tweets).
        He may also get a bit more respect from the NHL old boys club.
        It would break some barriers .. Captain of the Montreal Canadiens is a …. ……. Torontonian.

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
        _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

“Une équipe de hockey sur glace de l’île de Mont-Royal va gagner la Coupe de Lord Stanley à 24 reprises dans le 20e siècle et trois fois au cours du 21e siècle.”

– Nostradamus, 1552

• HardHabits says:

Good reply and I respect your point of view.

I still think now is too soon but you make do a good argument, if not for the future. Subban certainly is articulate as well as out spoken and has handled controversy well throughout his career. I think Montreal fans would be decidedly in favour of his captaincy, if not immediately, certainly over time.

Coming into his first UFA contract… given the Habs history, too soon IMHHO. It would certainly be an explosive headline and occupy lots of chatter if it happened. You can’t buy that kind of publicity, at least not for cheap… so maybe. ;-)

• Cal says:

If not now, soon. An “A” this fall at the least, I think.

• PK says:

Thx HH.
          The other option is an “A” for PK and someone like Patches or Markov. The C goes to one of the veterans whoever does not have an “A” (Pleks, Markov?).
          Transition to a new Captain in two or three years, post- Pleks/Markov …
          Cheers!

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
          _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

– Nostradamus, 1552

40. John Q Public says:

I would think that many here took it worse than this.

41. No.4isNo.1 says:

And one on PK’s suitability as the next captain:

Better times are ahead

42. Habcouver says:

So I hear PK can file for salary arbitration today.
    Is there reason for us to be alarmed?

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• Strummer says:

Nope- it ‘s a common procedure for arbitration- eligible RFA’s

____________________________________________________
      “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

43. No.4isNo.1 says:

If this has already been posted my apologies but I thought it was a good read.

Better times are ahead

44. SC-1993 says:

1st line will be weaker without Vanek.
    2nd line will be about the same as last year with Parenteau.
    3rd line will be weaker without Gionta unless Bourque and Bournival pick up their game by 20 points each.
    4th line may have improved a little,
    Defense may make up the difference with less Goals against so we maybe as good as last year going into training camp….

• JohnInTruro says:

If Gionta stayed and played on the 3rd line do you think he would have replicated his point totals from last year, or continued to drop off again?

White’s decline began as soon as he cut his hair. There is a one to one correlation between great hair and performance.

46. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I think people are over-estimating the affect of a player wearing the “C”. Just because you don’t wear the C, does not mean you’re not a leader. The number one job of the Captain is media relations. There is one guy on the Habs who is head and shoulders above everybody with respect to talking to the media: PK. By coincidence, he is also one of their best players. It is a no-brainer to make him captain; especially when Markov and Pleks hate talking to the media (why burden them??). The only time a Captain can be a detriment to the team is when his style of play is not conducive to winning so he becomes a cancer (e.g., Ovechkin). This won’t be the case with PK.

• JUST ME says:

Could not agree more. I think leadership shows. You should be a natural and in my book should be chosen by the guys you play with. You also may be a leader but not a suitable captaincy candidate just because…You can be a Spezza type of captain or a Luongo kind of.

Say what you want about the guy but Gionta was a good captain and lead by example.
      The main thing is that we do not even know who wants to be a captain and who does not.
      The only thing i heard many times from different players is that if they had to choose they would all pick the same guy number 14.

47. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

Listen up Marc Bergevin… its time to let Galchenyuk play 2nd line center. Put pleks as 3rd line checking center with a player like prust. Trade eller and moen and get a player like Chris Neil who can fight and score. That would be an effective line. Or a player who can let you 20.

Are you gonna add muscle this season like you before?
    We all loved that

48. NightRyder says:

Steve Downie for $1M was a decent signing.

49. Habitant in Surrey says:

Give P.K. Subban the responsibility of the C, and I am certain that responsibility will be taken to heart.

He is that intelligent.

The C to P.K. will be reaffirming to Him that He is respected. P.K. would return that respect ten-fold I believe

50. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Poor old Ryan White is a casualty of improvement. He’s an extra on a team going up, and a borderline regular on a team needing filler. It’s cruel, but so was what happened with Gorges and Gionta. I hope for his sake White is lucky to find a team for a couple of years, but unfortunately, he earns a lot for a guy who plays his role, and he is probably going to take a cut. You earn more as you stick around in the NHL, but that becomes a liability if you are a marginal player easily replaced by someone cheaper.
    Then again, if you or I lose our jobs, we might buy a coffee to sit and think over. White can buy an entire coffee franchise and live off it if he wants. It is an advantage.

• CH Marshall says:

“White can buy an entire coffee franchise and live off it if he wants”. Well said. If guys like White and Weaver can go earning 1 year contracts, it adds up to a nice little sum of career earnings- money that sets them up for a good while

• Phil C says:

It’s a good point about your salary needing to reflect your value. I think that’s true even for good players with guys like Gorges being traded for little in return and guys like Richards and Erhoff bring bought out.

• SmartDog says:

Smartest post of the day!

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• NightRyder says:

Young players outperforming their contracts is crucial for good teams.
      Having great players under reasonable* contracts (Pacioretty, Price) is also huge.
      It’s when the middling or declining players (Gorges, Gionta) are getting big bucks that you start to have problems.

*Not in any way reflecting life in the real world.

51. Trollhunter says:

I don`t think giving one of the most hated player in the NHL a C is a good thing. Markov doesn`t want it and I don`t see any leadership qualities in Pleks or Patches. Give it to Gally. At first I thought he might be too young but look at Colorado and Pittsburgh among others who gave the C to younger players… Age shouldn`t be an issue. Maturity, leadership and character should. Three things that Gallagher has. The captain is the face of the team. A huge part of its identity. Gallagher will fight to the end for an inch of space in front of the net. He does not back down and no matter how many times he is beaten to the ice he gets up and goes right back to work. THAT is the identity I want the habs to have moving forward.

S G

• southaltahab says:

Can’t see Gallagher as the captain yet but maybe someday. I just hope they let the players vote in the captain, and whoever they choose
      accepts it. I can’t think of a much higher honor than being voted the captain of the Canadiens.

• Phil C says:

How can a kid who is not mature enough to want his own place be Captain? He can still be a leader without wearing the C.

• JUST ME says:

I do not see why we should act in regards to what the other teams think. If i follow your train of thoughts you are telling me that Zdeno Chara is not one of the most hated player in the league ?

Au contraire, if it pisses them off then so be it. It`s a mental game and if it does add to our advantage then we should go for it .

• Omit says:

Trollhunter

It just so happens that Pleks is very well respected by his teammates. If he stays with the team, he’ll be given a lot of consideration for the C if Markov doesn’t want it.

“Time wounds all heels”. – J.L.

• NightRyder says:

Bobby Clarke was among the most hated players in the NHL.
      Dale Hunter. Chris Pronger. On a different level of hate, Crosbyor Gretzky for their whining.
      Why is not giving them the C a good thing?

52. Habitant in Surrey says:

Eugenie will, like the warrior she is, come back stronger than ever.

She may be a tennis loser today, but marketing wise Eugenie will be making millions rivaling Sharapova .
    Next year ? …Wimbleton Champion.

• JUST ME says:

It looks likely that this lovely girl will be the biggest star in Canada`s tennis history. She got in the top 10 and now needs to play against the Kvitova,Sharapova and Williams to learn about their weaknesses. She is 20 years old and has the world at her feet. What an inspiring story this is !

53. Habitant in Surrey says:

To all Our Brothers and Sisters in the Maritimes and Manitoba withstanding the whims of Mother Nature, stay strong and be safe.

54. Lafleurguy says:

I think the signing of Tom Gilbert made Ryan White’s hairdo expendable.

55. kempie says:

It was suggested here by someone a few days ago, and the more I think about it, the more I think MB should get PK & Larry signed, then offer sheet Reilly Smith.

56. on2ndthought says:

Looking back, 2006 was a draft with potential we missed at each pick. I remember falling in love with our picks when we made ‘em. sigh…..

“a cannonading drive”

• Ncognito says:

Just think, the Pens took Jordan Staal instead of Toews! Anything we did after that won’t look as bad :-). Although Fischer instead of Giroux hurts a bit!

57. on2ndthought says:

Was at the Als game last night (relieved at the performance). One of the biggest cheers was when they put Genie up on the scoreboard and wished her luck. Kvitova was not to be denied this year.

Nice article by Stubbs and fine portrait by Cowan. Weaver has been a plus, plus for this team, and a fan favorite. Sounds like a very cerebral guy. If he hangs ‘em up after this season maybe he can do IT and analytics with the Habs.

Nothing but the best for Whitey, it’d be nice for him to slot in to one of the prairie teams, maybe Calgary to bump McGrattan off the depth chart.

“a cannonading drive”

58. Sportfan says:

Heard a rumor about Montreal and Patrick Sharp, obviously its a rumor, but imagine if the Habs actually landed Sharp, he’d make this team even better!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Phil C says:

What would be going the other way?

• kempie says:

I’ve been drooling over that idea for a couple of years now. He’d be a great fit but it would take a lot. Too much I think.

• on2ndthought says:

It would require Gallagher. Not sure I’d make that trade in our cap situation (or even our hockey situation)

“a cannonading drive”

• on2ndthought says:

If they’d settle for prospects (Andrighetto, Reway) then it’s more interesting, it still messes with our cap. Bourque’s playoff performance may entice, in which case, pull the trigger (Chicago would still get 3M cap relief)

“a cannonading drive”

• Trollhunter says:

It starts with a Gal and ends with a Chenyuk.

S G

• formerly known as the hc says:

Why the H-E-Double Hockey Sticks do so many guys here want to trade Galchenyuk? Already giving up on a kid still on his ELC? Silly…

Edit…

After further review, it seems you were simply answering a question, and you are probably right. I just reacted ‘cuz I read quite a few posts earlier where guys thought it was a good idea… Which was very silly.

-The beatings will continue until morale improves-

59. John Q Public says:

Enforcer or enforcement ?
    Rebuilding or contract management ?
    Youth or experience ?
    To tank or to get tanked ?
    Truth or lies ?
    Coke or Pepsi ?
    Carnivore ,omnivore or herbivore ?
    More or less ?

I see Ryan White ending up in Edmonton, Calgary or Winnipeg. My guess is Winnipeg.

61. HabFab says:

HabsWorld.net
    - 5 PM EST today is the deadline for players to file for arbitration. If the #Habs don’t sign Eller/Subban by then, expect each to file.

• on2ndthought says:

These guys are still making a good living out of playing hockey. There will be some interesting organizational decisions shaping the ‘Dogs this year.

“a cannonading drive”

2014 HIO FAN SUMMIT INFO! Special game tickets.!

Bell Center called me pertaining to Nov.8 Summit game tickets.

Everything is 98% in place for that date, but they can only confirm our special HIO fan tickets and price to me next week.

You can order your SUMMIT tickets from me as soon as they confirm next week, not before.

We only have a small widow of time for you to send me your money orders for tickets, before they go to the general public.
    along with a stamped self addressed envelop, so I can send you your tickets.

“USA people, add a dollar to your money order if you do not have a Canadian stamp for the return envelop!”

I believe we can get as many as you may need. I will let you all know the price and when you can order from me, ASAP…….
    Ian Cobb…63 Village Dr. Belleville On. K8P 4K

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

63. NightRyder says:

Getting up early to watch Genie Bouchard get spanked sounds good, but I have to admit, it wasn’t that great.
    Loved her reaction after the trophy ceremony – “get me the bleep out of here, I have work to do.”
    How long before the Habs have her on display again?

64. Cal says:

Another step in the learning process for Bouchard. She’s been amazing this year and I hope she takes her all business attitude to New York and the US Open. I hope to watch her on Labour Day Weekend.
    Kvitova had a high pressure game plan that utilized her service and return game in the best way. Bouchard was just not in so many points today it was painful to watch. Like Milos yesterday, her first serve and her return of serve were, to be blunt, subpar. That’s not to say she won’t be better the next final she’s in.
    Finally, it was great to see Canadian tennis get a boost from this pair of aces. More to come, and soon, from these two.

65. Paz says:

Reading on the Eotp Habs about Subban becoming Habs captain.

That would be great!

I still prefer Max, though.

And I really don’t want Plekanec. Not a big fan of his leadership.

• HardHabits says:

Subban should become captain only if it is done by a vote.

• Paz says:

Why do you say it that way?

• HardHabits says:

By that I mean a players vote. I also think they should vote the captain at the beginning of each season, but that’s me.

• southaltahab says:

When I think of captains I don’t think of players like Subban. There’s the level headed business minded players and there’s the free spirited players, and Subban needs to be free spirited. I don’t really know who should be the next captain. I actually think a guy like Weaver would be a good captain but at this point he wouldn’t be a candidate. If Markov will accept the C, I would expect him to be next.

66. Paz says:

A big high five to Genie for a great tournament!