Former Hab Richer discusses his battle with depression

Stéphane Richer won two Stanley Cups — one in Montreal and another in New Jersey — and remains the last Canadien to score 50 goals in a season, reaching that plateau during the 1987-88 season and again in 1989-90.

He played in 1,054 National Hockey League games, scored 421 goals and accumulated 819 points, and he did it all while battling depression.

Richer and Michael Landsberg, the host of TSN’s Off the Record who has also battled depression, will be in Montreal Sunday night as speakers at an AMI-Québec (Action on Mental Illness) anti-stigma and fundraising event.

“I think it’s really important for me to be there,” Richer said. “It’s a great honour for me to be there … this doesn’t have anything to do with my name and being a hockey player in the past … we’re talking about serious stuff. I’m just hoping I might be able to help someone by being there.”

Richer added: “I wish when I was 20 or 21 I could have had someone from hockey or baseball or football talking about this … maybe it could have helped. But at the time that wasn’t big, right? … talking about depression. But like I said, if I can help someone … maybe save somebody’s life … I’m doing my job.”

Richer said he realized how serious his situation was in 1995, after winning the Stanley Cup with the Devils.

“I was old enough to realize that I had not problems at the time … but some issues,” he recalled. “Problems is a big word. But when I won a Cup in New Jersey in ’95, I had a great playoff, finished second overall in the stats, and I wasn’t happy. I’m driving back home and everybody is waiting for me … my family … and I know something is wrong with me. It was pretty scary …”

Richer, who now keeps busy as owner of the Montpellier Golf Club, has one regret about his NHL career.

“Like I said last time I spoke with Michael, I would have loved to have been able to play just a few games with no doubt in my mind I could be a good hockey player,” he said. “I always had that doubt … that thing about every game, telling yourself today I’m still good. I would have loved to see just one year, or six months … whatever it is … no problems, don’t think about anything, just play the game. How good could I have been?

“But I can’t do anything about it now. I have to move forward.”

(Gazette file photo)

Richer shares his story of depression, by Stu Cowan

Top prospects measured at NHL Combine, montrealgazette.com

Vokoun, Rask in spotlight as Penguins-Bruins begin, montrealgazette.com

Blackhawks, Kings to collide in Western Conference final, montrealgazette.com

Penguins listed as Cup favourites heading into conference finals, by Stu Cowan

Kings goalie Quick back in Stanley Cup form, by Stu Cowan

Stars come out to watch L.A. Kings in playoffs, by Stu Cowan

1. jphk says:

It’s clear the Pens are tool small, not physical enough and relying on old concepts like speed, skills and talent. What they really need is 2-3 goons to get into some real fights to teach the Bruins a real lesson.

• C-Sword says:

Actually, they lost because they were trying to be too fancy instead of just directing pucks to the net

• jphk says:

They were excellent at hitting the posts, a la Plekanec. 3 times. Not too worried for them offensively, except that the Bruins played very well from the second period onward. Fleury will be back in the net soon (I hope!)

2. Todays - Topic says:

The Bruins are still playing for three reasons. They’re tough, can score enough goals to win and good Goaltending.
    Any team lacking one of those criteria’s will not prevent them from going all the way.
    Can’t judge Pittsburgh yet. Every team has bad games ….

3. hansolo says:

It’s scary when I find myself agreeing with Mike Milbury. Pens lost their composure. They should have known better after the debacle last year against Philly. I hope Bylsma and the veterans on the Pens can get the team ready for the rest of the series. You can’t lose your composure like that in the Cup semifinals.

Oh, the Pens did have more hits…

• ebk says:

he’s right, Rask frustrated them and after the(total BS) Marchand penalty that was called a 2 and not a 5. Pittsburgh lost their composure. Tried to out Bruin, the Bruins, and it ain’t gonna happen. They will be miles better in game 2.

• ProHabs says:

Yup, I don’t remember Yzerman or Sakic ever losing their cool for a whole game like that. They just went out, played good hockey and more often than not won. Crosby needs to start acting like Sakic and Yzerman and less like a sulking Bruin like player. Because if he doesn’t the damn Bruins are going to win again.

4. Bozo McBozo says:

Am I right that the Bs/Hawks have never faced off for the Cup?

5. frontenac1 says:

Pens Suck! Why did I bet them?

6. The Jackal says:

Pens looked bad.
    Dirty Bruins did what they do best.
    Gotta wake up, Pens!

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

7. habs001 says:

Right now in a big game there is no way anyone would take the Habs goaltending,d or forwards over then Bruins…

8. Saintpatrick33 says:

Right after the meltdown by the Leafs I had a feeling that Boston was going to either make it to the finals or win it all. They have the refs in their pocket so its just a foregone conclusion that we might have to endure Boston winning the cup again.

• Bozo McBozo says:

Bs ain’t shabby. If they wore our unis, we’d love ‘em!

• The Jackal says:

Sad to say I agree. They are a well-built team.
        I don’t think there is a “conspiracy,” just that the refs are absolute crap and you know how they call stuff or don’t call stuff in the playoffs… it favours the B’s style and they take advantage of that. Maybe they would not be as well off if the rules were actually enforced, but they are still skilled and tough like how we want to be.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Bozo McBozo says:

I agree wholeheartedly with you on the officiating. It floors me that at the highest level of the sport the reffing is the absolute worst!

9. frontenac1 says:

3 Zip! Ok , time for some Toe to Toe Scraps.

10. jols101 says:

Big Bad F’n Bruins. I hate them. I think a lot of it is jealousy.

11. Propwash says:

Dammit Penguins, why do you have to choke like this…

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

Time for MAF.

Penguins kinda suck. DD could take them.

Andi Petrillo – yum!

15. frontenac1 says:

Andi Petriilo! Damn here come those impure thoughts again.

16. frontenac1 says:

Hey, they showed Daddy Campbell right there watching his Boy! Wonder if the Refs know?

17. ebk says:

can anyone explain to me why the bother to have refs?
    Cooke gets 5, Marchand gets 2. Marchand blatantly interfers with Letang, no call.
    It’s just sad how much the ref’s influence the outcome of games by not calling penalties.

• Habfan10912 says:

It seems it gets worse every year. The game loses credibility because of it. A complete overhaul of the system from top to bottom is in order.

• slapshot777 says:

my reason and same reason it has been for the past several years now. Jacobs/Bettman. Jacobs is head over the board of governors , how that happened I will never know. But it goes back to the expiration of Bettmans contract. Jacobs apparently was he one who gave Bettman his contract extension and when this strike happened Jacobs had a hand in it.

He also was involved in the negotiations and when several owners started to get antsey about the strike lingering Jacobs was the one talking in the ear of Betman telling him what to say tto the other owners. If I am not mistaken he told Bettman to tell the Minnesota Wild owner ( can’t remember his name ) who was complaing at the time to shut up and set down.

Jacobs is pulling the strings in the back ground and Bettman is letting him, thus this is why Boson is getting away with so much. Bettman has to pay back Jacobs for giving him the extension.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

18. jols101 says:

This is going to be a great series. Playoff hockey at it’s finest.

So a Bruin fakes an injury and everybody is in love with them now? WTF is wrong with you. I found it quite pleasurable watching McQuiad laying on the ice. Only 2 minutes to Marchand was a BS if you call Cooke’s hit a major.

20. jols101 says:

Neal should have rolled around the ice faking an injury like McQuaid did. Exact same hits. One guy pretends he is hurt and draws a 5 minute major. Brutal.

21. frontenac1 says:

Guess Neal should have faked it like McQuaid!

22. C-Sword says:

Crosby pushing Rask after the end of period was such a classless act. Screw him, I’m rooting for the Bruins then

23. frontenac1 says:

Gino in a fight! Ha! This could be a good series!

24. theox_8 says:

Yes Crosby keep trash talking Chara that will work out so good for you…

25. Mark C says:

Cooke gets 5 and the game yet the Rat only gets 2 for same hit only difference was this time it was 2 feet away from the boards. These refs.

26. frontenac1 says:

McQuaid is back. Dr. Rechi?

27. thebonscott says:

send whatever colorado wants besides galch,gallagher, and subban for 1st pick

GET BIGGER, GET TOUGHER, GET EVEN.

28. frontenac1 says:

Cooke crushes McQuaid on a cheap shot. Strange , I’m not upset. Weird. Go Pens!

29. theox_8 says:

I can’t stand Cooke what a stupid player does not deserve to be in the NHL . I hope Pitts loses !

30. Bozo McBozo says:

Will someone please end Matt Cooke once and for all?

31. The Jackal says:

Wow! The zebras called interference…. on the least interferency play thus far! What a bunch of incompetent and inconsistent maroons!

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

32. Bozo McBozo says:

Crap! Kings/Hawks tomorrow night? Got to get to my local beer wholesaler in the morning!

33. Mark C says:

What was Crosby doing leaving his man in the high slot and chasing the puck?

34. The Jackal says:

Is it acceptable to make the follow comparison to the Habs-Bruins rivalry?

The Bruins are like that fierce competitor who always wants to show you up. While you dislike his attempts to undermine your success, you respect his talent and determination.

Is that too kind????

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Bozo McBozo says:

No, not at all. Even Ken Dryden in his book The Game said the Bs brought out the best in the Habs. And, they still do!

• HabFab says:

You got that right but try to explain that to Leaf fans. We are their nemesis but they can’t accept that they are not ours.

• The Jackal says:

Haha, they just don’t understand that no one outside of TO does not give a crap about them, even though the CBC wants to convince Canada that the laffs matter.

______________________
          Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Bozo McBozo says:

It is kinda whacky but those things happen. Take for example the case of my wife. She went to St. Joe’s in Philly. Their rival in all sports is Villanova. They end up in these dog fights in basketball with another local college LeSalle, who views them as their rival, but they could care less.

• HabFab says:

So what trees did the Philadelphia Princess decide on?

• Habfan10912 says:

Ah, some great games you both must have witnessed at the old Palestra.

• Bozo McBozo says:

@Habsfan We’re still undecided. The more pressing question is my new HO layout after Sandy destroyed my train room. Aside from things that needed to be done anyway, the storm has provided an opportunity to re-think my model railroad ambitions. I love tabula rasa!

2nd posting
    ATTENTION!
    HIO MEMBERS!!
    Don’t forget to stay tuned for when the new schedule comes out. I will be picking a game date for our weekend SUMMIT in Mtl. at the end of Oct. Those that have already purchased their tickets from the cancelled game last fall, will have replacement tickets given to them. For others that want to participate with us in Oct. please stay tuned for information on all our weekend events and game tickets.
    Ian

HIO contact site-Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments
    Scroll down and click onto Summit pictures, for more pictures behind them.

36. Un Canadien errant says:

Brad Marchand slewfoots Kris Letang. Greg Campbell with a garbage push of Sidney Crosby five seconds after a whistle. We’re not five minutes into the game.

Yup, same old Bruins.

37. Habfan10912 says:

There are very few people I dislike and I’ve never meant the man, but I dislike Chara. I hope the Pens make him look bad in thus series. As Front says, Go Pens.

38. Un Canadien errant says:

Hobie, thanks for the mention of the Pat Burns book, I’ve put in an inter-library loan request for it.

I’ve re-read Ken Dryden’s “The Game” recently, and Larry’s “Robinson for the Defence” for the first time. Any other Canadiens-related books out there I should know about?

39. Un Canadien errant says:

40. Un Canadien errant says:

@Hobie Hansen, thanks for the mention of the Pat Burns book, I’ve put in an inter-library loan request for it.

Any other Canadiens-related books I don’t know about that I should read? I re-read Ken Dryden’s “The Game” recently, and Larry’s “Robinson for the Defence” for the first time.

41. Peter Young says:

I had huge admiration for Stephane Richer’s skills. He had everything needed to carry on the Canadiens tradition of great high-scoring right-wingers. I was fortunate to see him one night at the old Inglewood forum when he was really flying, scoring four against the Los Angeles Kings.

Depression is a terrible burden to bear alone, as Stephane did for so long. Who knows what he might have accomplished had he had the proper help. I wish him the best.

42. Un Canadien errant says:

@Hobie Hansen, thanks for the mention of the book on Pat Burns, I just put in an inter-library loan request for it. Can’t believe I haven’t read that yet, didn’t even know about it.

I’ve read Ken Dryden’s “The Game”, and Larry’s “Robinson for the Defence”. Any others I should pick up, guys?

43. twilighthours says:

Letang “my goal is to win the Stanley cup, but my second goal is to win the Norris.”

Now just imagine the reaction – selfish, all about himself – if pK said that.

44. frontenac1 says:

Let’s Go Pens!

45. ebk says:

@Lafleurguy
    sorry to hear that about Malarchuk. He was always a favorite of mine. Saw him play twice in PA against the Raiders, the Raiders absolutely outclassed his team(I think Fort Saskatchewan) but he almost stole the two games. Best goalie performance I’ve ever seen in person.

The Hawks win big by putting Bickell on a line with Hossa and Toews. Size and grit.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, I’d formulated the thought that Marc Bergevin’s secret target at the trade deadline wasn’t so stealth anymore, and every game he plays he keeps getting more press and love. Brian Bickell is earning himself a nice contract come this summer.

• jphk says:

I thought it was a boring game. The west is overrated. LA is a goalie with grinders in front (no wonder they could win a fluke Cup playing the Devils). Hawks are a poor man’s Pittsburgh. Handzus is #2 center??? and we complain about DD ????

• habstrinifan says:

I agree with you re the game. What I would say is that Babcock of Detroit is really a great coach. If you consider that LA has more talent than Detroit right now, then it must be coaching which made Chicago seem so ineffective. The HAWKS were leaving their zone with ease all thru this game.

• jphk says:

I really like Hossa. Too bad the Habs were not able to sign him. So far, that’s a guy who has played to the full value of his contract. Still, they will match very badly against the Pens…

• Bob_Sacamano says:

A fluke Cup? After beating the 1st, the 2nd and the 3rd seed all in five games? What a ridiculous statement. The 2012 Kings have been by far the most dominant Cup winner this century.

They are not that good this year but they would still kick any EC team´s ass, except for Pittsburgh´s.

• jphk says:

They played the Devils in the finals. A very ordinary team by any standards.

• HardHabits says:

Who cares about New Jersey? The road to the Cup final is often more difficult than the final series. As Bob said. The Kings were dominant in their wins against the Canucks (#1 over-all) and the Blues (#3 over-all).

• jphk says:

The Blues and the Canucks???? Whatever…

• neumann103 says:

That would be the second-shortest-team-in-the-NHL Chicago Blackhawks?

“Et le but!”

47. Un Canadien errant says:

Okay, now on to more important matters. Let’s have the Bruins lose. Big. Like biblically. And Zdeno Chara fracture his femur in half. Longitudinally. Due to falling on Brad Marchand’s nose.

———————————————————————–

48. Un Canadien errant says:

Did TSN just run out of satellite time? Their signal got scrambly, then cut out entirely at 1630 hr, or a couple minutes later. They have Sportscentre scheduled at that time. Did a bean counter not think the game might run long?

———————————————————————–

49. Habfan10912 says:

Crawford is making some big saves here in the third.

50. frontenac1 says:

Carey Price is fine amigos. I would just like to see him channel some Hextall and get Nasty. Chop some ankles,skate out to the blueline and tackle a player.

51. Un Canadien errant says:

For me, the Stéphane Richer story is a little shameful personally. As a young punk, me and my friends and the population of Québec made fun of him mercilessly, in private or on open-lines radio show, we mocked his halting interviews, his acne-ridden complexion, his inelegant speaking style, in either language. The comedy troupe “Rock et Belles Oreilles” were unflinching in their savage lampooning of him, and we all piled on. If one of us messed up on the ice, we’d all mimic the voice on the bench or in the dressing room and tried to explain what happened.

“J’voulais passer l’puck, mais j’ai oublié…”

Years later, we miss Stéphane and wonder what could have been, if he’d received the appropriate support, and if mental illness and depression had been been a subject that was discussed openly and less stigmatized.

This lesson, and a few others, bring into focus the issue of bullying, and I think we as a society miss the mark on educating ourselves how to put a stop to it. To me, the easy lesson is to teach children, both at home and in school, that picking on people is not cool, period. You don’t have to be best friends with everyone, but you do have to be treat people with decency and care, even the kid who doesn’t play well with others. As Morrissey of “The Smiths” sang:

“It’s easy to laugh, it’s easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind.”

• Habfan10912 says:

Well said. There was no bigger bully in the NHL the past few seasons then the NY RAnger coach. I found his press conferences awful.

• Chwinsy says:

I admire your post UCE, and I know I have personally been in similar circumstances where I have conducted myself to the status quo in lieu of acting in the character that I try to maintain and the standard that I wish to conduct myself to. It is so easy to lose sight of the myriad considerations that affect not only ourselves but especially those in the public spotlight, and to take all of these things for granted.

The positive of this I suppose is that we as a collective (hopefully) become more aware, more self-reflecting, and can approach these people (people should be emphasized!) from a much more empathetic and compassionate perspective

• habbernack says:

Well said

• jphk says:

Richer’s sin was to be “weak”, whatever that means for people who believe that the Habs are a goon away from the Cup…

52. frontenac1 says:

I bet LA against my buddy The Hawks Fan.Deep down I want the Hawks to win but I couldn’t pass up a chance to chirp and smack talk him. I also got dough on the Pens. Saludos!

53. Mark C says:

Look at that rebound and down on his knees. That is not clutch goaltending!!11!1

First time L.A. doesn’t sweep away rebound and Chicago scores. The amazing thing about this L.A. team is how few rebounds the opposition get to. Chicago finally gets to one and they score. Doesn’t matter who is in net when rebounds are not secured by the defensive team.

55. habstrinifan says:

Stephane Richer.. another victim of the HABS land… especially Pat Burns. And I know Pat Burns is a sacred cow among HIO.

56. HabFab says:

As there has been no announcement and it’s after 5pm, sounds like the Canadiens have decided to pass on signing Daniel Pribyl.

• ProHabs says:

Damn. He could have been a contender. Oh well. I am sure if he was 5ft9, 180 pounds they would have signed him. The Habs need to stop discriminating against players with some size.

• twilighthours says:

Is that a bad thing? I only saw him at wjc, and he didn’t look impressive. But you know the amateur game quite well.

He started the wjc injured had a major cut on his leg as i recall and only managed to play a few games towards the end of tournament. I thought he would be worth hanging on to, however, almost smart enough to realize our scouts may know better.

• twilighthours says:

Didn’t know that about the injury.

I was all excited about finally getting to watch him play, and evidently suffered a major cut just prior and was nowhere near himself as I recall hearing.

But who knows, just seems to me he is one of those high risk high reward kind of guys, hate to give up to early on them.

• HabFab says:

Drafting is a crap shoot at best. You have to look at a 17-18 year old and try to determine at what age he peaks along with the skill level he would have reached.
            Using Archambault as an example. He appears to have peaked at 17-18 or so.

• jols101 says:

Maybe Daniel Pribyl decided to pass on the Canadiens.

57. habsblood82 says:

I agree. I didn’t start calling him that.ive heard it a mil times on tv.

58. habsblood82 says:

I bet habs pick a goalie in 2nd round

59. habsblood82 says:

No matter how good the team is it always comes down to the goalies. M.fleury for example…. pens wouldn’t be here still if they did not pull the plug on the flower

60. Bozo McBozo says:

You can hate him for what he did to Koivu, but Justin Williams is one of those guys who like Mike Keane the Stanley Cup follows.

61. Here’s a list of RD UFA’s come this July.

Nolan Yonkman (Fla) – age 32

Anton Babchuck (Cal) – age 28
    6′ 5″ – 200 lbs

Matt Gilroy (Nyr) – age 28
    6′ 1″ – 199 lbs

Ian White (Det) – age 28
    5′ 10″ – 185 lbs

Don’t have who’s available in AHL on RD as UFA’s?

62. twilighthours says:

5 in a row, just because.

I am hopeful Galchenyuk can one day provide Montreal with another 50 goal scorer.

64. twilighthours says:

Man I wish the leafs hadn’t collapsed. Now I get to experience another 7 games of nausea by watching the bruins.

Go pens!

65. twilighthours says:

Whenever I see a replay of a goal from the ott-Pitt series, it’s Karlsson getting burned for a highlight reel-type goal.

66. twilighthours says:

And thanks for the story on richer, my boyhood idol. How I wanted to have the big shot like Stephane! It’s nice to hear he is managing well with such a scary and serious condition.

67. twilighthours says:

Amazing fact just cited on tsn: kings are 15-0 in the last two playoffs if they score 2 goals.

Curious what the average number of shots they give up in that streak. Can’t believe how often I notice Shots on Goal are between 18-25. They play team defense so well and are backstopped by an excellent goalie.

• Lafleurguy says:

In the playoffs, they’re like a steroids-enhanced Devils team of championship vintage. I thought the seventh games in the Western Conference were starkly different. The intensity was intense for Kings/Sharks, whereas Blackhawks/Red Wings was like a recent GSP fight. The Sharks were given no skating room by the Kings, and approached the futility of a Leafs team who once got 6 shots against the Devils in the entire game (may have been the series when Tie Domi knocked out Scott Niedermayer).

“May you live in interesting times.”

68. Mark C says:

NHL combine test restults are in. Interesting reading for the MOAR size crew.

69. Habs_Norway says:

Excuse me for coming with stupid questions, but here’s another:

The term “north-south” hockey means “goal to goal”, up and down, – right?
    And east-west hockey is across the ice, shortside to shortside.

But… how come its called “coast to coast” when a player goes, by def. “south to north” ?
    Conundrum..

I have some fun with my friends saying that all NHL arenas are built so that the goals are east-west, across the whole Canada and US. Thats why they (commentators) say “coast to coast”.
    Some belive it. I like it.

______________________________________
    Say no to visors and sign Emelin for 10 years

• HabFab says:

Look at a map of North America and you will get the coast to coast expression.

• Lafleurguy says:

It’s fun to pull your friends’ legs, unless pulling your leg is something bad in Norwegian. While on the subject, a “suicide pass” is also oxymoronic since suicide is harm that one does to oneself.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• The Jackal says:

If you look at a map of France the coast to coast comment is very north-south :D

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

70. Bill says:

Hard to believe the Habs would trade a Quebecois 50 goal scorer.

Of course the guy they got for him was not too shabby either, ha.

71. s_impastato says:

Not to go off topic, but Richer’s second 50 goal season was with the Habs, not Devils.

72. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

But seriously. Good for Richer to talk about his illness without any concerns about stigma. We have lost too many talented people to depression, and many of us are touched by the disease.

73. H.Upmann says:

I wonder if Price is battling depression issues himself… (not here to shag him)

• H.Upmann says:

Slag him… Damn swiftkey autocorrect

• Fransaskois says:

That’s beautiful. :D

Tough to say just watching guys in interviews. Not exactly something we would have any basis to speculate about.

• Why would you say that? Do you see signs that Carey Price has depression? DO you know if he doesn’t sleep at night? Do you know what he is thinking about? Do you wonder if Carey is always thinking about his loved ones and if they are OK?

Unless you see a sign? Let’s stick to what you know?

Frack! This is one issue I would go toe to toe with anyone. Depression is serious, and if you don’t know anything about it, keep your stupid comments to yourself.

Damn I was having a great freakin day and this one person with a stupid question set em off.

See you next month when the kids are away at camp………(:

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 00029.31

• HabFab says:

Deep breath big guy….now omhh!

• H.Upmann says:

Shane, relax. Its a public blog, nothing to get worked up about. I’m just sayin’, because that whole thing after the playoffs re his comments. I’d like to think hes fine, but i wouldn’t be surprised if he’s a bit of depression. Man, one random comment about Price and I get roasted lol. Thats a blog for ya lol

• Ron says:

Its not a problem for you Upmann but to somebody that battles depression constantly like Shane does your comment kind of hit home. Shanes a big boy and I hope he can just walk away from the site for awhile and calm himself down. Its not that you slag Price, its just the depression angle that you don’t realily know about but surmise he has a problem.

• H.Upmann says:

Point taken. Anyways, on the flip side, Price is young, supported by his bosses, rich, and has a promising career ahead of him. He has a million reasons to be happy. Cant slag me on that one!

• Ron says:

Its a blog open to the public and you didn’t do anything wrong forsay. I just think it hit home abit harder with Shane today. He knows what lifes about and I am sure he knows enough to step back and relax no matter how hard it is. HIO is open so I think he will.

• The Dude says:

Battling depression most my life I must say Price’s goal-tending in 3rd period action has worsen my condition and so I would not be surprised if he’s also depressed . :)

• Lafleurguy says:

And even for those fortunate not to have this disabling and complex condition, Price’s play gave them a dose of the Blues. Yesterday, UCe gave a link to “Grantland” who produced an 11 minute film on Clint Malarchuk who had the horrendous skate-blade slash to his neck. Malarchuk, in the throes of despair later shot himself in the face. He is now the goalie coach for the Flames.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• jrshabs1 says:

When I see the Habs get thier quad annual beat down I get depressed. I sometimes talk about it on HIO..then I get bullied and feel even worse. C’est la vie!

Go Habs Go!!

• habstrinifan says:

WOW! I guess I’m gonna make your day even worse.. cause I am gonna say YES!

And you can call me stupid.

74. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Second! Where the h-e-double-hockey-sticks is everyone?

75. Thurston says:

Too bad he wasn’t able to get a handle on his depression sooner. Who knows how much better he could have been?