Former Hab Kovalev announces his retirement

Former Canadien Alex Kovalev has officially announced his retirement from hockey at age 41 after not playing in the NHL this past season.

According to the International Ice Hockey Federation’s website, Kovalev made the announcement in an interview with Swiss TV station Kanal9. He cited injuries as the reason for his decision.

Kovalev played 13 games with the Florida Panthers in 2012-13, posting 2-3-5 totals before being released. In 1,316 career games, he had 430 goals and 599 assists for 1,029 points.

Kovalev spent four seasons with the Canadiens, starting in 2005-06. His best season with the Habs was in 2007-08, when he posted 35-49-84 totals while playing in all 82 games.

He left Montreal after posting 26-39-65 totals in the 2008-09 season, signing as a free agent with the Ottawa Senators.

(Photo by John Kenney/The Gazette)

Kovalev calls it a career, montrealgazette.com

Bulldogs sign forward Hensick to one-year contract, hamiltonbulldogs.com

Best and worst deals in NHL free agency, NHL.com

Plenty of seats left for world juniors in Montreal, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

1. HabFab says:

Hudon, Charles C/LW
    Nevins, Jack LW
    Sekac, Jiri LW/C
    Thomas, Christian LW

NOTES:
    - 2 to 3 of these players should make the Habs
    - Nygren has said he will not play in the AHL and will request a trade if he doesn’t make the Canadiens.

2. HabFab says:

Players under contract for next season;

GOAL (5) :

Plekanec, Tomas
    Prust, Brandon
    Sekac, Jiri
    Thomas, Christian
    Weise, Dale

NOTES:
    - does not include the five 19-year old’s which may slide.
    - Nygren will not play in the AHL and will request a trade if he doesn’t make the Canadiens.
    - list includes Ellar and Subban, who were qualified contracts
    - Hamilton has also signed Joe Finley D, David Makowski D, Bobby Shea D, Jake Dowell F and TJ Hensick F to AHL contracts

3. habsfan1993 says:

Happy retirement, Alexei. I will miss you, and have may happy memories of your time as a Hab. Chief among them is your schooling of Darcy Tucker.

I am, and always will be, your biggest fan!

“Just because you are wearing a new Maple Leafs sweater, does not mean you make the rules around here, young man.”

4. NightRyder says:

If only Kovalev tried as hard as Josh Gorges.

5. huge_polar_bear says:

New thread… I kid you not…

6. twocents says:

I was reading on the previous about the relative merits with regard to timing the aquisition of a sniper. I fully agree that now is not the time. However, I do think that as teams sort out their cap situations later this summer is ideal. Late in the first half of the season is good too, but the idea of waiting until the trade deadline never sits right with me. Firstly, you usually overpay, though MB did well with Vanek. More importantly these players never seem to fully mesh with their new team in time for the playoffs. Very few Cup winners have acquired an impact player at that year’s deadline. Role players yes, extra scoring depth yes, but deals for top players seldom work out. Sometimes they end up contributing to a Cup in ensuing years, but in the same year is a rare occurrence.

So Patrick Kane in August please Mr. Bergevin. If dd has to go the other way… so be it.

7. Say Ash says:

I bet Kovy’s still lethal on the powerplay

8. Maritime Ronn says:

I spoke with a hockey buddy today located in Buffalo NY.

The city has a Buzz on – not only because ‘close by’ Rochester native Brian Gionta signed there with a great contract ( 3 years/$12.7M), yet it was more about Josh Gorges REFUSING Toronto… and accepting Buffalo as a landing place.

Most – especially Buffalo residents, (salt of the earth) realise that Buffalo has a somewhat inferiority complex when it comes to comparing itself to other US cities….yet while its downtown core may be wanting ( see Detroit today…) there are few suburbs nicer than Williamsville/East Amherst with their 5 car garages….where both Pat Lafontaine and Lindy Ruff lived once upon a time.

Gionta and Gorges are the perfect fit for the young Sabres.
    Their time was up in Montreal because of the situation that had nothing to do with Leadership or Heart, and everything to do about Cap Business and a timely, needed changing of the guard.

The Habs now need their young guys to take over.
    GMMB stated that happened during the playoffs…and also stated it’s time to move on…

Hopefully everything works out well for all involved.
    With Gionta and Gorges leading and helping the Sabres kids for the next 2-3 years, the Habs will have their hands full in the future with that stable of talent…as will the forever woeful Leafs.

9. Ron says:

Nick Tarnasky from last years Bulldogs has been signed by the Rangers as a free agent

10. BriPro says:

Shiram and Matty (if either of you have linked this thread).

I have a Samsung LED F6350 (60″).
    I was going for the 55″ but this one was the same price
    (but I digress).

If you intend on putting it in a bright room, don’t get a Plasma.
    I had one. The glare is dramatic, especially during the day.
    And I asked an electronics expert and service tech friend of mine, and he says that it’s common among Plasma TVs.

He not only suggested this model, but Samsung in particular.
    They’re the ones with the longest life expectancy (average is 7 years), they’re the cheapest for parts when repaired, and for the little difference in image quality, unless you scan it closely, there’s virtually no difference.

And mine has great quality, a great picture, easy menu, and contrary to what Matty suggested, I see the puck and every crack in the ice very well.

Watching our Habs on it last year was very exciting!

• johnnylarue says:

Gonna butt in here: whether a tv is plasma or LED has no bearing on glare. It’s all about how the screen is treated/coated. I have a higher end Panasonic plasma which has little to no glare, although it gets progressively worse on the cheaper models.

I’m a plasma fan–LED screens give me headaches.

• BriPro says:

I realize the image is different. It takes some getting used to. I didn’t check out the Panasonics. They were a little out of my price range at the time.
        Put it this way, my wife said OK, and I immediately scanned the net, called my tech buddy, pushed her along into the car, and off to the store…. before she changed her mind. :)

• johnnylarue says:

Don’t get me wrong–a 60″ screen is nothing to sneeze at, my man!

And it’s true that you’re probably getting more bang for your buck with LED screens nowadays. I’m quite certain you’ll be pleased.

• JohnInTruro says:

You’re an intelligent man.

• sirs81 says:

LG is better. At least for me.

Well speaking only from actually LCD experience (having leased 10′s of thousands of them and had to resell when lease was over) the quality difference in lcd’s from Korea to Japan has generally been night and day. Thus the reason I bought a Sharp Big Screen. Not sure how the LED is impacted, but the extra capacitors used by the primary mfg’s in Japan to disperse the heat (which is the killer in most all electronic products) was far superior in the units from Japan.

Take with a grain of salt, but watching the defective rate after 3 – 5 years of use with customer, the proof was in the pudding.

Edit: Obviously costs more at mfg. time to do so, but to me it pays off. When you see these units ripped open and see the difference on the boards it is pretty eye opening.

11. SaskieHabFan says:

Why doesn’t MB offer sheet Reilly Smith? Correct me if I am wrong but would it just cost us a 2nd rounder at most (depending on the term and money)? Plus we just received an extra 2nd round pick from the Gorges trade. Could Boston even match it? They would probably have to dump some salary and it would be nice to see them in panic mode for little effort from MB. Thoughts?

• 24 Cups says:

Offer sheets are two way streets. I’m not sure the Habs want offer sheets made for their upcoming younger star players.

24 Cups

• Maritime Ronn says:

Exactly
        This years RFAs: Subban-Eller
        Next year: Galchenyuk-Gallagher-Beaulieu-Tinordi-Bournival

• SaskieHabFan says:

Any team that would offer sheet Subban would likely give up 2 first’s a second and a third minimum! If the amount is significant, it would be 4 first’s! Eller would likely garner a first as well. Plus any team that offers does have to take on that salary as well! Are you guys saying it is an etiquette thing among GM’s not to offer sheet?

• SaskieHabFan says:

We are missing an RW. There is a good young RW on a rival team that was not smart with their cap space. Other teams can offer what they want to the Habs young players but, MB was smart with the cap and can match or call the other teams bluff. Yes it is a 2 way street but, this is a business decision.

12. eric says:

Good article in http://www.calgarysun.ca on why the flames signed a couple of tough guys. Deryk Egelland from pittsburg. It also applies to the habs

• frontenac1 says:

Berkie is having a Mental Breakdown. He has Gratts,Westgarth,Engelland,Bolig And on the Farm Trevor Gillies! Wtf???Is the West going LNAH??

• 24 Cups says:

Calgary grossly overpaid for Engelland. It’s one of the top five worst contracts of July 1st.

24 Cups

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

To follow the logic, because they have these players, no-one will touch their young fawns. Is it safe to assume that they won’t touch the other team’s young fawns in return?

So only 10 players or so on each team will be allowed to hit the other team? Or, is it ok to hit all the guys, but if one of the heroes on the Flames decides that he is the arbiter of what is allowed (refs be darned) then that’s ok?

Then the other team will follow suit right?

Burke is obsessed with a game played by people without visors, when concussions were laughed off and it was ok to have Marty McSorely Missed chopping at heads.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• eric says:

If the other team can’t protect their players expect that treatment. why did MB sign Parros? because he’s a great player? Why did Prust play with gally and chucky

13. stephen says:

You could likely fill a thread with highlights of Kovalev’s magic with the puck, but this clip is a beautiful as any of them, albeit for a drastically different reason…Happy flying, Kovy!

14. habsguy92 says:

As i think nostalgically (or is it infuriatingly.. or fondly??…) ..think ill just settle on frustratingly back to L’Artiste’s MTL career, a few moments stand out.

1. The golden goal against the rangers to cap the comeback
    2. The Darcy Tucker cheapshot… man was that awesome!
    3. The countless snipes from the side circle (all blur into one really)
    4. How every 3rd game he wouldnt show up

Eh maybe best just repress that last one ;)

Anyways, all the best AK27, thanks for a good run!

15. Puck Bard says:

Oh Kovy, You came and you gave and got taken,
    And Bob sent you away, oh Kovy…

16. BriPro says:

Whenever someone posts a link to a Habs-Youtube video, I always think or link this one.

And Kovalev’s contribution was key.

17. Grimmly says:

So, here is our team next year with over 5 Million in space

I like

• JohnInTruro says:

There’s no way Bourque and Bournival are higher up the lineup than the Gally’s I’m afraid.

• HardHabits says:

Flip 2nd and 3rd. Interchangeable parts. I like the line-up and cap distribution regardless of the line combos.

• JohnInTruro says:

I agree I like our lineup and balance, just not sold on those particular lines personally ;)

• HardHabits says:

I do like the return of the EGG line though.

As for Moen and either of Budaj or Tokarski, I think trades could be made and nobody would need to be buried.

• johnnylarue says:

You know what bugs me? I think the majority of us common folk think $8mil/per for PK is totally acceptable, even if it makes him the highest paid D-man in the league and the cap is $2 million lower than projected.

So what’s the hold up? Is Bergevin really set on nickel-and-diming the kid? Is the kid’s agent a heinous greed-head?

GET IT DONE, already!! I really don’t want this nonsense to drag on throughout the summer and into training camp…

• BriPro says:

I don’t think there is a contract slow down, or intent on MB’s part to nit pick on dollars. Term is probably the sticking point.

• Forum Dog says:

MB is gonna try and get the best deal possible, which any good GM should do. But ultimately PK knows that the Habs are not gonna let him walk. They got their bridge contract 2 years ago, now they have to pay. I imagine PK is forcing MB to come up to $8M, rather than MB forcing PK to come down to $7.5M.

Weber is making $7.85 on a 14 year deal. With an rising cap and a Norris under his belt, I imagine PK is looking to top that.

I agree though. Don’t let it drag into training camp for the sake of $500K.

Guess I ain’t whatcha call common folk then.

• 24 Cups says:

That chart has a lot of mistakes on it. I’m not sure why Capgeek has this feature if it’s not up to the same standard as their other features related to salary.

24 Cups

Don’t forget with the buried contract feature, it is already accounting for the max amount per contract that can be buried in the AHL, approx. 950K, thus the reason Budaj and Moen have smaller looking contracts.

• HardHabits says:

It’s a fan generated roster not a 24 Cups one. ;-)

18. BriPro says:

So many astute observations on Kovy.
    As the boys on TSN690 said this morning, he was the best at doing the least with the most.
    And as Dog pointed out, he could take you from euphoria to frustration in the blink of an eye.

19. twilighthours says:

Ah kovlalev… Perhaps the most polarizing Hab of the past decade.

I’m in the camp of he-tried-too-hard-he-wasn’t-dogging-it.

I miss him.

Good luck in your retirement, sir.

20. Forum Dog says:

Props to Kovalev. He was a polarizing figure who could make you jump out of your seat, or feel like pounding sand. When he was motivated to play he was pretty much unstoppable, but it didn’t take much to put him off his game. I for one loved him in MTL and was a bit disappointed when they went in another direction. All’s well that ends well I suppose, and he had a long and productive career.

Kovalev could have been an elite player like Selanne or Kurri but for whatever reasons settled for being good but not great.

Sadly, a 34 year old Kovalev would be just what the doctor ordered for this present team.

24 Cups

• krob1000 says:

would you settle for a 34 yr old vinny L if they ate soe of the contract..made it 3 m per season

• 24 Cups says:

No, if he’s not toast now he will be in a year or two and his contract has four more years to run.

I’ve given up on the notion of the Habs bringing in another top 9 forward with their extra cap space. I’ve accepted the fact that the team will run with three balanced lines in the hope that a player such as Bournival can play top 9 minutes. The only thing left for the Habs to do now is bring in a 14th forward who has some size and versatility.

24 Cups

22. JohnBellyful says:

Great, another thread with a pic of an ex-Canadien at the top.

• BriPro says:

It’s a conspiracy, I tell ‘ya!

• JohnBellyful says:

Why can’t they show pics of ex-Panthers (Weaver, Gilbert) or ex-Avalanche (Parenteau)?
        Edit: Which brings to mind: How awkward must it be for players on some teams to identify themselves at social gatherings.
        “Hi, my name’s Max, I’m a Canadien.”
        “Hi, Henrik’s the name, don’t let the accent fool you, I’m a Canuck.”
        “Hi, I’m Dan, don’t, don’t let the height fool you, I…I…I’m a…I’m a…I’m an Avalanche.”

23. Paz says:

There is a very good reason why Plekanec had great success with Kovalev and Jagr.

Plekanec needs a winger who keeps the puck, and creates time and space in the offensive zone.

• JohnBellyful says:

“creates time and space in the offensive zone” — five-on-five, heck, with the man advantage, when it comes to Habs creating time and space in the other end, they treat it like The Twilight Zone, “a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity,” so what’s the hurry about potting a goal.

Kovy milked (fleeced) his employer the last 6 years, on his past career stats and talent. He should have retired on top instead of sucking around the nipple the past few years.!

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

25. BriPro says:

Missed it by THAT much!

26. Puck Bard says:

Your record is safe, Ryan White.

27. John Q Public says:

Double dang

28. Maritime Ronn says:

Good afternoon to HIO.
    A by chance check in resulted into…