Forget Markov in the playoffs

Canadiens’ Andrei Markov grimaces in pain after being checked by Matt Cooke in Game 1 vs. Penguins. John Mahoney, The Gazette

Canadiens defenceman Andrei Markov has had surgery on his injured knee, the Canadiens announced Wednesday.

The surgery was to repair a tear of the anterior cruciate ligament of his right knee.

His recovery period is expected to be up to six months.

Markov raised hopes by skating in some Canadiens workouts last week.

There were reports, unconfirmed by the club, that he had tweaked his knee injury during one of the drills.

The team’s release:

MONTREAL (May 19, 2010) – Montreal Canadiens General Manager Pierre Gauthier issued today a medical
update on the status of defenseman Andrei Markov.
Markov underwent successful surgery today to repair a tear of the anterior cruciate ligament of his right knee.
His recovery is estimated to be six months.
Markov, 31, suffered this injury to his right knee during the first period of the opening game of the playoff
series against the Pittsburgh Penguins, at Mellon Arena, on April 30.
Markov played 45 games for the Canadiens in regular season. He registered 34 points (6 goals, 28 assists). He
missed 12 weeks (35 games) due to a foot laceration suffered in the first game of the 2009-2010 regular season
last October 1st in Toronto.
Markov played eight playoff games in 2010. He recorded four points (0-4-4), registered nine shots on goal
and averaged 23:46 minutes of time on ice per game.

1. ManApart says:

A classic style for all occasions, for sure

2. ManApart says:

Funny, I thought the reason the Habs are losing, is because they scored 0 goals and their PK has been awful. i guess if O’Byrne (1 goal all year) was playing and Pouliot (1 goal in 30 games) played the second game (he played in the embarrassment called game #1, remember) the Habs would have won both games. Come on man, get real.

3. Rainrocket16 says:

110 % effort out of the players would be me more rewarding. Like I said before, JM logic would not even be questioned had MAB been effective. And Meon with Gomer and Gio, Moen is one of the few players that can protect our little giant, especially with Gomer in the box.

You cannot convince any educated Habs fan that JM is to be blamed for this series as of now, but my friend, we aint done with this series last time I checked!!

4. HotHabs says:

what a “proud” father he must be!

5. ABHabsfan says:

You’ve got that right! Habs don’t have any package of players that would pry #1 overall from the Oilers. Have you seen Hall in the Mem Cup? The dude is lights out. Halak MIGHT get their 2nd round pick, if they have one

6. Tis Himself says:

Very little given his recent history of injuries.

7. ABHabsfan says:

I agree with large parts of your post, I think this team could be quite good in the near future with a few tweaks. There are quite good now when you consider there are only 3 other teams playing hockey right now. Obviously with the complete absence of scoring we all have ideas on what to do. I have my doubts on what Markov could fetch in a trade now that he will not be playing until November next season. If it possible to trade up in this year’s draft, I believe that should be looked at because from the reports I have heard, (TSN) this crop of top 12-15 is the best in a long time. If the Habs can get into that group it cold pay off nicely in a few years.

Speaking of trades to the west coast though, I would like to see a guy like Clowe in Mtl and Setoguchi is a top-notch scorer as well