Fore! Updates from Habs golf tourney

Carey, if the ball breaks from three inches, you’ve got a problem.
Allen McInnis, Gazette

AUDIO: Geoff Molson & Pierre Boivin | Pierre Gauthier | Jacques Martin | Brian Gionta | Carey Price | Scott Gomez | Michael Cammalleri 1 and 2| Josh Gorges

The Canadiens and many deep-pocketed captains of industry who have ponied up to support the team’s Children’s Foundation assembled at Laval-sur-le-Lac golf club north of Montreal this morning for the team’s annual golf tournament.

As usual, management and players wandered into the media firing squad with a Dixieland tuba-banjo-saxophone trio playing in the background, speaking about the season to come. A few highlights below, all the audio as spoken into my mp3 recorder above:

• Brian Gionta said he awoke to reports he’d be the next captain. Knows nothing about it, he claims. Team owner Geoff Molson and GM Pierre Gauthier say the process is ongoing.

• Molson and outgoing president Pierre Boivin spent much of their Q&A session addressing the francophone content on the team and some lamebrained politicians’ attempts to politicize the Canadiens. Oh. When asked, Molson talked about the challenges facing his team on the ice!

• Carey Price embraces his role as the undisputed No. 1 netminder on the team. During parts of the past two seasons, he candidly admits that playing goal in Montreal was not fun, but when he went home and considered the alternatives, he realized that he has “the greatest job on Earth.”

• Scott Gomez on how he’d feel if his friend Gionta is named captain: “He’s not an ass—” Typical Gomez – hilarious, though his critics will still call him arrogant.

• Josh Gorges and Michael Cammalleri speak profoundly about the team, its leadership and expectations after having gone three rounds deep into last season’s playoffs.

• Broad, interesting stuff from head coach Jacques Martin and GM Gauthier.

1. SeriousFan09 says:

Wow, the Penguin’s shame from being knocked out of the playoffs by the Habs was so epic, they’re planning to demolish Mellon Arena to get rid of the memory.

That’s not the official reason, but I think we know what’s really going on.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

2. mike g says:

I highly doubt that…

Next year, Mike G was ranked 4th overall and Pascal Treamblay was ranked 5th overall by the scouts, and the Habs have the 4th pick in the draft.

Mike Guerrera who’s an anglophone is from Montreal, and Tremblay who only speaks french is from Trois-Rivieres.

Their turn comes, and the Habs pick Mike.

You really think CKAC will be happy?

I’m not sure. I think they’ll be happy because they got a 4th overall pick to be excited about, but I guarantee you that there’s a sour taste in their mouths.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

3. thorandresson says:

I don’t know if this has been discussed yet, but during JM’s interview someone asked about positions on the line up that were open, and he said that on the left wing after cammalleri there was a spot, was that a shot at Pouliot or AK?  Perhaps he’s hinting that Eller has a shot at that position?

4. riazp says:

Actually on RIS…they didnt really consider him…they named lapierre and darche…they said yeah well hes franco-ontarioan…ughh even having a french name is not good enough

It was created to make a buck and for no other reason. It just happens that most of the paying public was of French decent in this franchises area.

Maybe Quebec would like to stop people like Mario Lemieux, St Louis, Lecavalier and thousands of other french decent people from making a living elsewhere.

Who cares what colour you are or how you communicate, ice the best team you can and get on with playing the game.

6. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

It really depends on where you are at as an organization. The price would be too steep for us right now, because our young players haven’t yet developed, so we need to keep our 1st round draft picks. The Flyers are built around a young core of Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, James Van Riemsdyk and Claude Giroux, which is a nice collection of young, high-end talent. What they paid for Pronger might still come back to haunt them though.

In a few years, when we have Subban, Leblanc, Kristo, etc. as the core of the team if they pan out, maybe we weill be able to make a trade like this. For now, we need to keep building through the draft. This is why we drafted Tinordi. Big defensemen who can skate with a mean streak and some offensive upside are hard to find. Not saying Tinordi will be as good as Pronger, but he is that TYPE of defenseman. Hopefully he pans out.

7. Kamal Panesar says:

Follow Kamal on, Facebook and Twitter

8. SeriousFan09 says:

The price is too high for a Pronger and what if he has to retire in two years? Niedermayer was the best skating defencemen in the world for a time and he had to quit at 37. Pronger’s 35 now so while PHI has paid a premium for their best shot now, they took a chunk out of their future to do it, especially with Timmonen of a similar age to Pronger.

Rather stick with what the Habs have built right now, shouldn’t thin the farm out substantially for a maybe.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

9. mike g says:

Problem is, a guy like Pronger is almost never available in the draft….

All those Cups and gold medals didn’t come on his resume when he was drafted. He had to grow, and mature, and win those in order to have them follow his legacy.

And he’s one of a handfull of active defenseman that posess the impact like that. Him, Neidermayer and Lidstrom.

That’s about it.

You want one of those 3, you’re gonna have to pay for it. Supply and demand…..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

10. Bugs says:

Anglo Quebecer is the same thing as French Quebecer since most anglo Quebecers are from Montreal anyway, and a Montrealer should take precedence over EVERYBODY, even if he’s Sino-Honduran.

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory:

11. Propwash says:

Seeing his puck handling abilities……?

Yep, and then some.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

12. SLONCOLD says:

What about an Anglo quebecer? does that represent our quebec culture?

i think quebec politics should worry about providing services to it’s “people” rather than worying about protecting it’s culture with laws that discriminate against companies and familes.

13. davelecave says:

My thoughts exactly.

Papa Gionta!

14. avatar_58 says:

In that respect I semi-agree. I enjoy seeing a french born hab succeed. Lapierre getting the game winner in a bedazzling fashion? Storybook!

However belittling Koivu, a man who BLED blue blanc et rouge, simply because he isn’t fluent or french born? I can’t get behind that at all.

Also it amuses me many french fans celebrate Pouliot – a player who was not born in Quebec. So what’s the requirement, that they JUST speak french and have a french name?

15. Bill H says:

I was thinking about some of the criticism that the Habs are not big or tough enough.  So I took a look at the career path of one Chris Pronger.  Bouncing from Hartford, to St. Louis, to Edmonton, to Anaheim, and finally to Philidelphia. In Edmonton, Anaheim and Philidelphia, he lead his team to the Stanley Cup finals, and won the big prize in Anaheim in 2007.  He’s also won for Canada in the Worlds and the Olympics.  Seems the guy is a winner.  And adding to that, no team that has traded away Pronger has qualified for the playoffs the following year.  That’s quite a record.

Now, take a look at what it cost Philidelphia to land Pronger and get as far as the finals against Chicago last season.  On June 27, 2009, Pronger, along with forward Ryan Dingle, was traded to the Flyers in exchange for forward Joffrey Lupul, defenceman Lucas Sbisa, two first round draft picks and a conditional third round draft pick.

So, this is my question for HIO…should the Canadiens trade for someone like Pronger, given the cost of such a trade?  Look what the Flyers gave up to get him.  Sbisa is a 20 year old first round draft pick.  Lupul has shown flashes of strong play but has otherwise underachieved.  Plus 2 first rounders.  They gave up a lot for Pronger the aging veteran who won’t be around when those first rounders break into the league.  And the Flyers haven’t got a Cup out of it yet.  so was it worth it?  Should Montreal be making that kind of a trade?  If so, who should it be and how much should they pay for him?  Just some questions for those who don’t care about golf.  Feel free to comment.  Personally, I believe the price is too high.  Build through the draft.

16. avatar_58 says:

The ones complaining probably couldn’t even name the current roster. In other words they aren’t fans

17. Rugger says:

Selection of any player for reasons other than performance or expected performance on the ice is wrong.

18. mike g says:

This is just my opinion…

But nobody in the NHL is of equal talent. Every single NHL player brings unique talent, leadership and qualities to an organization. So that argument of “a telent egal”, should be thrown out the window. Just to show an example, Jeff Halpern is way better than Steve Begin. He’s alot smarter, better goalscorer, better skater, etc… But yet everyone complained when he was signed and Begin was still available, and they said they were both of equal talent; that’s a big false statement.

If the Rangers were still called the New York Amercians, would New Yorker’s bitche to only have Americans on their squad? I highly doubt it. The name CH was born, and lives on because of it’s history. There’s no need to change the name, even though the times have changed. Heck Bugs, the internet and cars exist!

Things in the world change. Baseball was dominated by Americans, and now it’s a mix of American’s and Latino’s. Hockey was dominated by french-canadians, and now it isn’t anymore. So just because the Habs dominated with a certain tactic of building teams 50 years ago, doesn’t mean it will work now. Infact it can’t work, things have changed.

But some just don’t wanna accept it.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

19. Say Ash says:

Would Halak size up a 6-inch put?

20. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

There is no such thing as “à talent égal” because a team should dig deaper and look at personality types, character and work ethic too! But let’s just say we find two players that are identical for argument sake, would you want to take the one with enormous pressure and expectations on him or the other one?

I wonder what would happen in Atlanta, if the newspapers were crying for more white players on the Braves?

21. Propwash says:

I said this lower down on the page

“Using a hockey team as a crutch to stir the pot so backwards
    thinking politicians who hold a grudge have an excuse to raise a
    language issue.”

Its pathetic.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

22. habaddict_andy says:

Darn it!  Wanted to see what was about AK’s pic.

23. habaddict_andy says:

This political involvement in Hockey is just plain stupid.  Pauline Marois commenting on Canadiens.  Unbelievable!  First of all, the Canadiens have giving french speaking people a chance unlike any other teams in the NHL.  Guy Boucher made it to NHL thanks to Montreal organization.  We had Carbonneau, St-Julien, Therrien on couches.  We have Pierre Gauthier as GM.  Many quebecors in the farms like no other teams.  We just don’t have as many in the current roster.

There is also a reality in drafting players.  In no way should Canadiens drafting team be blinded by the need to satisfy politicians or reporters for that matter in selecting players based on their geographic pro-file.  Picking a player on a first draft is based on if the player is one of the best no matter who he is, although Europeens have a different reasoning.

Someone might we missed out on good Quebec players in the past in selecting someone else.  Well we also have missed out on Kopitar and others like wise.

Pauline, follow a little bit of hockey before you comment about the team.

24. Bugs says:

This is just my opinion, but I think the French media asks about the French factor because this club was CREATED for French Canadians and it’s that aspect that 75% of Habs fans in the province considers important because it represents a symbol of their culture on the international stage.

In my opinion, I think the fact that it says CH on the shirt and not HC is something to be respected. So much so that, à talent égal, we should privilege a player borne of that culture over one who isn’t, and NOT privilege a bathplug of that culture over a sparkplug of another, as most articles on the subject would have the rest of the world believe.

We want the best players, English, Swedish, or Swahili. But à talent égal? We want frenchies. If possible.

My opinion.

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

25. Rugger says:

They have laready changed the pic twice.

26. Psycho29 says:

I had CKAC on the other day and they were commenting on the lack of francophones and that the Habs should have gone after Eric Belanger in the off season, that he’s much better than Jeff Halpern.

They’ve made a lot of comments and jokes about Halpern since he was signed. (Mostly by Michel Villeneuve and that Jean-Charles guy)…Lets give the guy a chance, let him play a game first…

27. Harani says:

Carey looking good!

“It must be love!”

28. j2w4habs25 says:

Gionta for the C?? asif…. lol

29. Anonymous says:

Pittsburgh Penguins center Jordan Staal is expected to miss the start of
    the regular season because of an infection in his left foot. He will
    likely be sidelined for the next 5-6 weeks. Staal had surgery on a
    lacerated tendon suffered during the Conference semis, but the area got
    infected during the offseason.

Is this karmic retribution for cooke taking out markov?

30. lefreak says:

lets just hope that this will be the last time that they golf before summer!!!!

31. lefreak says:

lets just hope that this will be the last time that they golf before summer!!!!

32. jabber39 says:

Its too easy for them to get a rise out of people by playing the language card when not much is going on…things are at a simmer with the season on the cusp…its the right time to start shit in order to get people reading your paper or watching your show…too much passion behind stuff like that…it hits home for everyone so everyone gets in on it…or…people like us point out how stupid it is…either way…people talk about it…they win

Knowing is Half the Battle…

33. habaddict_andy says:

Did I miss a photo of AK?  All I see is Carey about to put one to the hole.

34. jabber39 says:

Montreal Canadiens radio is missing a great english play by play guy…Rick is doing all he can I know I know…I just can’t listen…I have to tune into “les gars de chez nous” and it kills me…

Knowing is Half the Battle…

35. riazp says:

give him happy gilmours putter

36. riazp says:

I don’t know about the rest of you guys, I watched the a couple hours of the stuff on RIS…and it seemed everyother question pertained to french speaking hockey players. Dont get me wrong…I’m glad that these guys are making the effort to learn the language…Gomez even busted out his french.

But common french media…give it a rest ok? the emphasis of both english and french media should be on do we have a winning team on the ice…not if so and so can speak to them in french…I’m sure they have translators on their staff to translate the players comments.

Can the media please give the french thing a rest, I’d personally rather have these players practice their one timers than spending time with a french tutor…if they can say hi bye and thank you in french, thats all you need…

Thank you for letting me vent.

37. jabber39 says:

(Prime example of how Habs fans go to the extreme in over-analysing something)

Really? Carey’s ball is no more than a foot away from the hole. Does he really need to focus that much on a read? Might even be a gimme at that distance. Sheesh…

Let the craziness begin…GO HABS GO!!!

Knowing is Half the Battle…

38. RGM says:

Nice putt, Carey.

39. mike g says:

I laughed, in my brain, but I still laughed. Nice.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

40. Storm Man says:

Who is the next best golfer on the team after Cammy?

41. puck face says:

must be something shiny or two dogs humping off to the right that’s got AK’s attention in the photo

42. Storm Man says:

I call AK46 hair the Donald without the hairspray.

43. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

I think AK looks pretty good, was his second chin a throw-in in the Sergei deal to Nashville?

PS I thought Eastern Finals was a pretty good change!

44. Dave Stubbs says:

Sergio Momesso.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter:

45. mike g says:

New hope, every year…

It’s exactly at this time, every year for about 4 years right now, that I hope and keep thinking it will be better.

Thinking that on this day, maybe not this year, it will finally change…

Change for the better, or worse, but just change….

WTF ANDREI ???!!!!!!    That hair man, seriously!

LOL, I can’t even come up with a nickname for it. It’s like a mix of a mullet, mushroom cut, and baldness..LMAO.

Dude, you’re making millions!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

46. Harani says:

Jordan Staal will miss 5 – 6 weeks at the beginning of the season. As an aside, Staal called what his brother Jordan is going through with a foot infection after 5 or so surgeries “a nightmare”

All because of P.K.! Lol! Can’t believe this isn’t a bigger issue so we should be happy no one is criticizing the Habs at the first chance they get.

And am I dreaming? I see half a smile out of AK46!

“It must be love!”

47. SeriousFan09 says:

He should go for the Jagr mullet.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

48. Tobiass says:

Power forward comb-over

49. Rugger says:

I see AK is still going to the same Bowl for his haircut.

50. says:

Does anyone know who is replacing Murray Wilson on CJAD?

They Call Me Shane

51. Propwash says:

How many times did Andre Kostytsin say net today Stubbs?

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

52. habs33 says:

53. Dave Stubbs says:

Nice pic by Andie, but better pic by our own Allen McInnis. Really shows the lightheartedness of the day. Until they started losing Titleists.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter:

54. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

Does Doug Camilli have a mustache?

55. mike g says:

HEY!!!!   You guys changed the picture!!!!

Before Gionta’s pic, it was a picture of Carey and Stubbs was in the backround!

Damn, maybe Stubbs doesn’t want us all to know that he was being interviewed by CP….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

56. Dave Stubbs says:

Pat Hickey, but he doesn’t have a mustache.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter:

57. saskhabfan says:

Ron Jeremy?

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

58. christophor says:

the Gio ‘leak’ takes a lot of pressure off price today.

if it was subtly released on purpose, it was clever.

59. Storm Man says:

Magnum P.I.

60. Rugger says:

Now you’ve given it away, you are Nanu Nanu!

61. Bill J says:

There is no “good lookin’ fella’s with moustache’s” in that picture.

Whatcha talkin’ about ?

62. mike g says:

It’s the forehead that gave it away…

Very unique..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

63. monsieurx says:

I am sorry but it was just to tempting… thats what she said!

64. Propwash says:

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

65. TheDagger says:

Oh man, I just got what he means when he repeats 88…. that’s his IQ!  Or am I being too generous?

66. Bugs says:

Uhh, no? We DON’T need a superstar? Uhh, we DON’T need a 1st-line centre? We DON’T need a player can carry the offense and should continue to rely on chipping and scratching 20 goals here and there in order to reach 8th place?

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

67. avatar_58 says:

I think Cammalleri and Gionta do a good job of sharing the load.

68. mike g says:

Who’s that good lookin’ fella with the moustache in the backround????

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

69. Propwash says:

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

70. HabFanSince72 says:

The one thing missing from this team is a forward who can carry the offence on his shoulders (Ovie, Crosby, Toews, etc …).

71. TheDagger says:

They must have skipped recess today at whatever elementary school it is they attend.

72. JD_ says:

Nuna’s out skinnin’ somethin’ that washed up on the beach and asked me to pass this on:

“So the powers-that-be think that before any decision is made that PG and his cronies don’t ask to know when the time is right for things to be done about the players who haven’t been chosen to be the captain before everything is put behind the team. Why am I not surprised? When Lafleur knew Cournoyer wasn’t behind the decision to have the players know which guy was supporting the other decision to make the trades that the GM didn’t know were going to be made, Pollock said that Bowman wasn’t going to play the ones who weren’t there. Figures that Gauthier and his cronies weren’t the ones who pulled the trigger when the goalies had to be decided on, so that Gainey wouldn’t have to be told that when the time comes, the players who aren’t there won’t be the ones deciding who is and who isn’t. Told you so.”

73. punkster says:

Very concerned about something. I’ve checked back on the comments today and can’t find anything from Nuna and Tony/observer/whatever on the subject of Gio’s pending “C”. Why are they holding back? Isn’t it odd they haven’t stormed in yet to mention smurfs, midgets, little people, Price bashing or the continued failure of PG to win anything?

Nuna….Tony…where are you? The HI/O Nation breathlessly awaits your pronouncements!

74. Psycho29 says:

Give it time! The previous night’s meds usually wear off by 1PM…