Fore! Updates from Habs golf tourney

Carey, if the ball breaks from three inches, you’ve got a problem.
Allen McInnis, Gazette

AUDIO: Geoff Molson & Pierre Boivin | Pierre Gauthier | Jacques Martin | Brian Gionta | Carey Price | Scott Gomez | Michael Cammalleri 1 and 2| Josh Gorges

The Canadiens and many deep-pocketed captains of industry who have ponied up to support the team’s Children’s Foundation assembled at Laval-sur-le-Lac golf club north of Montreal this morning for the team’s annual golf tournament.

As usual, management and players wandered into the media firing squad with a Dixieland tuba-banjo-saxophone trio playing in the background, speaking about the season to come. A few highlights below, all the audio as spoken into my mp3 recorder above:

• Brian Gionta said he awoke to reports he’d be the next captain. Knows nothing about it, he claims. Team owner Geoff Molson and GM Pierre Gauthier say the process is ongoing.

• Molson and outgoing president Pierre Boivin spent much of their Q&A session addressing the francophone content on the team and some lamebrained politicians’ attempts to politicize the Canadiens. Oh. When asked, Molson talked about the challenges facing his team on the ice!

• Carey Price embraces his role as the undisputed No. 1 netminder on the team. During parts of the past two seasons, he candidly admits that playing goal in Montreal was not fun, but when he went home and considered the alternatives, he realized that he has “the greatest job on Earth.”

• Scott Gomez on how he’d feel if his friend Gionta is named captain: “He’s not an ass—” Typical Gomez – hilarious, though his critics will still call him arrogant.

• Josh Gorges and Michael Cammalleri speak profoundly about the team, its leadership and expectations after having gone three rounds deep into last season’s playoffs.

• Broad, interesting stuff from head coach Jacques Martin and GM Gauthier.

1. SeriousFan09 says:

The price is too high for a Pronger and what if he has to retire in two years? Niedermayer was the best skating defencemen in the world for a time and he had to quit at 37. Pronger’s 35 now so while PHI has paid a premium for their best shot now, they took a chunk out of their future to do it, especially with Timmonen of a similar age to Pronger.

Rather stick with what the Habs have built right now, shouldn’t thin the farm out substantially for a maybe.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

2. mike g says:

Problem is, a guy like Pronger is almost never available in the draft….

All those Cups and gold medals didn’t come on his resume when he was drafted. He had to grow, and mature, and win those in order to have them follow his legacy.

And he’s one of a handfull of active defenseman that posess the impact like that. Him, Neidermayer and Lidstrom.

That’s about it.

You want one of those 3, you’re gonna have to pay for it. Supply and demand…..

3. Bugs says:

Anglo Quebecer is the same thing as French Quebecer since most anglo Quebecers are from Montreal anyway, and a Montrealer should take precedence over EVERYBODY, even if he’s Sino-Honduran.

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

4. Propwash says:

Seeing his puck handling abilities……?

Yep, and then some.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

5. SLONCOLD says:

What about an Anglo quebecer? does that represent our quebec culture?

i think quebec politics should worry about providing services to it’s “people” rather than worying about protecting it’s culture with laws that discriminate against companies and familes.

6. davelecave says:

My thoughts exactly.

Papa Gionta!

7. avatar_58 says:

In that respect I semi-agree. I enjoy seeing a french born hab succeed. Lapierre getting the game winner in a bedazzling fashion? Storybook!

However belittling Koivu, a man who BLED blue blanc et rouge, simply because he isn’t fluent or french born? I can’t get behind that at all.

Also it amuses me many french fans celebrate Pouliot – a player who was not born in Quebec. So what’s the requirement, that they JUST speak french and have a french name?

8. Bill H says:

I was thinking about some of the criticism that the Habs are not big or tough enough.  So I took a look at the career path of one Chris Pronger.  Bouncing from Hartford, to St. Louis, to Edmonton, to Anaheim, and finally to Philidelphia. In Edmonton, Anaheim and Philidelphia, he lead his team to the Stanley Cup finals, and won the big prize in Anaheim in 2007.  He’s also won for Canada in the Worlds and the Olympics.  Seems the guy is a winner.  And adding to that, no team that has traded away Pronger has qualified for the playoffs the following year.  That’s quite a record.

Now, take a look at what it cost Philidelphia to land Pronger and get as far as the finals against Chicago last season.  On June 27, 2009, Pronger, along with forward Ryan Dingle, was traded to the Flyers in exchange for forward Joffrey Lupul, defenceman Lucas Sbisa, two first round draft picks and a conditional third round draft pick.

So, this is my question for HIO…should the Canadiens trade for someone like Pronger, given the cost of such a trade?  Look what the Flyers gave up to get him.  Sbisa is a 20 year old first round draft pick.  Lupul has shown flashes of strong play but has otherwise underachieved.  Plus 2 first rounders.  They gave up a lot for Pronger the aging veteran who won’t be around when those first rounders break into the league.  And the Flyers haven’t got a Cup out of it yet.  so was it worth it?  Should Montreal be making that kind of a trade?  If so, who should it be and how much should they pay for him?  Just some questions for those who don’t care about golf.  Feel free to comment.  Personally, I believe the price is too high.  Build through the draft.

9. avatar_58 says:

The ones complaining probably couldn’t even name the current roster. In other words they aren’t fans

10. Rugger says:

Selection of any player for reasons other than performance or expected performance on the ice is wrong.

11. mike g says:

This is just my opinion…

But nobody in the NHL is of equal talent. Every single NHL player brings unique talent, leadership and qualities to an organization. So that argument of “a telent egal”, should be thrown out the window. Just to show an example, Jeff Halpern is way better than Steve Begin. He’s alot smarter, better goalscorer, better skater, etc… But yet everyone complained when he was signed and Begin was still available, and they said they were both of equal talent; that’s a big false statement.

If the Rangers were still called the New York Amercians, would New Yorker’s bitche to only have Americans on their squad? I highly doubt it. The name CH was born, and lives on because of it’s history. There’s no need to change the name, even though the times have changed. Heck Bugs, the internet and cars exist!

Things in the world change. Baseball was dominated by Americans, and now it’s a mix of American’s and Latino’s. Hockey was dominated by french-canadians, and now it isn’t anymore. So just because the Habs dominated with a certain tactic of building teams 50 years ago, doesn’t mean it will work now. Infact it can’t work, things have changed.

But some just don’t wanna accept it.

12. Say Ash says:

Would Halak size up a 6-inch put?

13. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

There is no such thing as “à talent égal” because a team should dig deaper and look at personality types, character and work ethic too! But let’s just say we find two players that are identical for argument sake, would you want to take the one with enormous pressure and expectations on him or the other one?

I wonder what would happen in Atlanta, if the newspapers were crying for more white players on the Braves?

14. Propwash says:

I said this lower down on the page

“Using a hockey team as a crutch to stir the pot so backwards
    thinking politicians who hold a grudge have an excuse to raise a
    language issue.”

Its pathetic.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

15. habaddict_andy says:

Darn it!  Wanted to see what was about AK’s pic.

16. habaddict_andy says:

This political involvement in Hockey is just plain stupid.  Pauline Marois commenting on Canadiens.  Unbelievable!  First of all, the Canadiens have giving french speaking people a chance unlike any other teams in the NHL.  Guy Boucher made it to NHL thanks to Montreal organization.  We had Carbonneau, St-Julien, Therrien on couches.  We have Pierre Gauthier as GM.  Many quebecors in the farms like no other teams.  We just don’t have as many in the current roster.

There is also a reality in drafting players.  In no way should Canadiens drafting team be blinded by the need to satisfy politicians or reporters for that matter in selecting players based on their geographic pro-file.  Picking a player on a first draft is based on if the player is one of the best no matter who he is, although Europeens have a different reasoning.

Someone might we missed out on good Quebec players in the past in selecting someone else.  Well we also have missed out on Kopitar and others like wise.

Pauline, follow a little bit of hockey before you comment about the team.

17. VancouverHab says:

24: “….that Harper and the rest of his Reform adults are in charge.”

You say that like it’s a bad thing ;–)

“this is a political/hockey story because Harper made into one.”

Fair point. Just so long as it’s understood that equal time and respect is granted here in the comments for snarky conservatives to push back against snarky leftism !

18. Bugs says:

This is just my opinion, but I think the French media asks about the French factor because this club was CREATED for French Canadians and it’s that aspect that 75% of Habs fans in the province considers important because it represents a symbol of their culture on the international stage.

In my opinion, I think the fact that it says CH on the shirt and not HC is something to be respected. So much so that, à talent égal, we should privilege a player borne of that culture over one who isn’t, and NOT privilege a bathplug of that culture over a sparkplug of another, as most articles on the subject would have the rest of the world believe.

We want the best players, English, Swedish, or Swahili. But à talent égal? We want frenchies. If possible.

My opinion.

19. Rugger says:

They have laready changed the pic twice.

20. Psycho29 says:

I had CKAC on the other day and they were commenting on the lack of francophones and that the Habs should have gone after Eric Belanger in the off season, that he’s much better than Jeff Halpern.

They’ve made a lot of comments and jokes about Halpern since he was signed. (Mostly by Michel Villeneuve and that Jean-Charles guy)…Lets give the guy a chance, let him play a game first…

21. Harani says:

Carey looking good!

“It must be love!”

22. j2w4habs25 says:

Gionta for the C?? asif…. lol

23. Anonymous says:

Pittsburgh Penguins center Jordan Staal is expected to miss the start of
    the regular season because of an infection in his left foot. He will
    likely be sidelined for the next 5-6 weeks. Staal had surgery on a
    lacerated tendon suffered during the Conference semis, but the area got
    infected during the offseason.

Is this karmic retribution for cooke taking out markov?

24. lefreak says:

lets just hope that this will be the last time that they golf before summer!!!!

;p

25. lefreak says:

lets just hope that this will be the last time that they golf before summer!!!!

;p

26. Big Bird says:

My few cents from the peanut gallery:

Let’s not forget the $1Billion spent on ‘security’ for the G20 or un-tendered contracts for fighter jets in the Billions.

Or how about the removal of an RCMP complaints commissioner, a military police complaints commissioner, a Canadian nuclear safety commissioner and a veteran’s ombudsman.  If anyone dares to challenge the Tories they are history.

It’s disingenuous for Tories to say ‘support the troops’ but when they come back home physically and mentally challenged from the battle field and we treat them like garbage.  My mother is a physician and she treats men and women in the Armed Forces and she’s disgusted with the support (or lack thereof) that they receive.

PM Harper campaigned on a platform of ‘transparency’ and ‘fiscally responsible governance’.  He is now doing the exact opposite.

Sorry for the political vent as I’ll try to refrain myself more so in future.  I used to to be a Tory supporter but I can’t stand the hypocrisy of Harper and his Reform ilk anymore.

Lastly, I think calling him a ‘gravy sucking political leech’ is offensive 24 Cups.  Offensive to ‘gravy sucking political leeches’ that is.

27. jabber39 says:

Its too easy for them to get a rise out of people by playing the language card when not much is going on…things are at a simmer with the season on the cusp…its the right time to start shit in order to get people reading your paper or watching your show…too much passion behind stuff like that…it hits home for everyone so everyone gets in on it…or…people like us point out how stupid it is…either way…people talk about it…they win

Knowing is Half the Battle…

28. habaddict_andy says:

Did I miss a photo of AK?  All I see is Carey about to put one to the hole.

29. jabber39 says:

Montreal Canadiens radio is missing a great english play by play guy…Rick is doing all he can I know I know…I just can’t listen…I have to tune into “les gars de chez nous” and it kills me…

Knowing is Half the Battle…

30. riazp says:

give him happy gilmours putter

31. riazp says:

I don’t know about the rest of you guys, I watched the a couple hours of the stuff on RIS…and it seemed everyother question pertained to french speaking hockey players. Dont get me wrong…I’m glad that these guys are making the effort to learn the language…Gomez even busted out his french.

But common french media…give it a rest ok? the emphasis of both english and french media should be on do we have a winning team on the ice…not if so and so can speak to them in french…I’m sure they have translators on their staff to translate the players comments.

Can the media please give the french thing a rest, I’d personally rather have these players practice their one timers than spending time with a french tutor…if they can say hi bye and thank you in french, thats all you need…

Thank you for letting me vent.

32. jabber39 says:

(Prime example of how Habs fans go to the extreme in over-analysing something)

Really? Carey’s ball is no more than a foot away from the hole. Does he really need to focus that much on a read? Might even be a gimme at that distance. Sheesh…

Let the craziness begin…GO HABS GO!!!

Knowing is Half the Battle…

33. RGM says:

Nice putt, Carey.

34. mike g says:

Haha..

I laughed, in my brain, but I still laughed. Nice.

35. Storm Man says:

Who is the next best golfer on the team after Cammy?

36. puck face says:

must be something shiny or two dogs humping off to the right that’s got AK’s attention in the photo

37. Storm Man says:

I call AK46 hair the Donald without the hairspray.

38. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

I think AK looks pretty good, was his second chin a throw-in in the Sergei deal to Nashville?

PS I thought Eastern Finals was a pretty good change!

39. Dave Stubbs says:

Sergio Momesso.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

40. mike g says:

New hope, every year…

It’s exactly at this time, every year for about 4 years right now, that I hope and keep thinking it will be better.

Thinking that on this day, maybe not this year, it will finally change…

Change for the better, or worse, but just change….

….

…….

WTF ANDREI ???!!!!!!    That hair man, seriously!

LOL, I can’t even come up with a nickname for it. It’s like a mix of a mullet, mushroom cut, and baldness..LMAO.

Dude, you’re making millions!

41. Harani says:

Jordan Staal will miss 5 – 6 weeks at the beginning of the season. As an aside, Staal called what his brother Jordan is going through with a foot infection after 5 or so surgeries “a nightmare”

All because of P.K.! Lol! Can’t believe this isn’t a bigger issue so we should be happy no one is criticizing the Habs at the first chance they get.

And am I dreaming? I see half a smile out of AK46!

“It must be love!”

42. SeriousFan09 says:

He should go for the Jagr mullet.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

43. Tobiass says:

Power forward comb-over

44. Rugger says:

I see AK is still going to the same Bowl for his haircut.

45. sholi2000.com says:

Does anyone know who is replacing Murray Wilson on CJAD?

They Call Me Shane

46. Propwash says:

How many times did Andre Kostytsin say net today Stubbs?

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

47. habs33 says:

HAHAHAHA!

GO HABS GO!

48. Dave Stubbs says:

Nice pic by Andie, but better pic by our own Allen McInnis. Really shows the lightheartedness of the day. Until they started losing Titleists.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

49. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

Does Doug Camilli have a mustache?

50. mike g says:

HEY!!!!   You guys changed the picture!!!!

Before Gionta’s pic, it was a picture of Carey and Stubbs was in the backround!

Damn, maybe Stubbs doesn’t want us all to know that he was being interviewed by CP….

51. Dave Stubbs says:

Pat Hickey, but he doesn’t have a mustache.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

52. saskhabfan says:

Ron Jeremy?

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

53. christophor says:

the Gio ‘leak’ takes a lot of pressure off price today.

if it was subtly released on purpose, it was clever.

54. Storm Man says:

Magnum P.I.

55. Rugger says:

Now you’ve given it away, you are Nanu Nanu!

VH – I don’t feel lucky in any way that Harper and the rest of his Reform adults are in charge.  This is a political/hockey story because Harper made into one.  He is a gravy sucking political leech who will do anything to grab even one seat in Quebec.  That includes throwing away $200M in a flawed effort to suck up to the Bloc voting public in Quebec City.

Any future attempt to grant more Canadian NHL franchises will be a combination of hockey and political story lines, whether it be in Quebec City, Hamilton or Winnipeg.

57. Bill J says:

There is no “good lookin’ fella’s with moustache’s” in that picture.

Whatcha talkin’ about ?

lol

58. mike g says:

It’s the forehead that gave it away…

Very unique..

59. monsieurx says:

I am sorry but it was just to tempting… thats what she said!

60. Propwash says:

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

61. TheDagger says:

Oh man, I just got what he means when he repeats 88…. that’s his IQ!  Or am I being too generous?

62. Bugs says:

Discuss?

Uhh, no? We DON’T need a superstar? Uhh, we DON’T need a 1st-line centre? We DON’T need a player can carry the offense and should continue to rely on chipping and scratching 20 goals here and there in order to reach 8th place?

63. avatar_58 says:

I think Cammalleri and Gionta do a good job of sharing the load.

64. mike g says:

Who’s that good lookin’ fella with the moustache in the backround????

65. Propwash says:

88!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

66. HabFanSince72 says:

The one thing missing from this team is a forward who can carry the offence on his shoulders (Ovie, Crosby, Toews, etc …).

Discuss.

67. TheDagger says:

They must have skipped recess today at whatever elementary school it is they attend.

68. JD_ says:

Nuna’s out skinnin’ somethin’ that washed up on the beach and asked me to pass this on:

“So the powers-that-be think that before any decision is made that PG and his cronies don’t ask to know when the time is right for things to be done about the players who haven’t been chosen to be the captain before everything is put behind the team. Why am I not surprised? When Lafleur knew Cournoyer wasn’t behind the decision to have the players know which guy was supporting the other decision to make the trades that the GM didn’t know were going to be made, Pollock said that Bowman wasn’t going to play the ones who weren’t there. Figures that Gauthier and his cronies weren’t the ones who pulled the trigger when the goalies had to be decided on, so that Gainey wouldn’t have to be told that when the time comes, the players who aren’t there won’t be the ones deciding who is and who isn’t. Told you so.”

69. punkster says:

Very concerned about something. I’ve checked back on the comments today and can’t find anything from Nuna and Tony/observer/whatever on the subject of Gio’s pending “C”. Why are they holding back? Isn’t it odd they haven’t stormed in yet to mention smurfs, midgets, little people, Price bashing or the continued failure of PG to win anything?

Nuna….Tony…where are you? The HI/O Nation breathlessly awaits your pronouncements!

FREE TIMO!

70. newbrunswick troy says:

ya it seems most of the team are taking one from  Detroit,s playbook…..don,t waist your money on the goalie….invest in a forward instead!!!

The way i see it…the best goalies are streaky for a year..then so,so,….look at Luongo..not in my opinion the best…Brodeur ..old…   Now we see young guys like Mason steal the show for a while  Huet did, just long enough to get the big contract,then ride pine>>>>>I think signing a goalie to long term might not be a good play!!!!

71. Psycho29 says:

Give it time! The previous night’s meds usually wear off by 1PM…

72. thorandresson says:

I know but he’s listed as a LW, and shoots from the left, so that’s his natural position (I think)

73. VancouverHab says:

VancouverHab says that we’re lucky that Stephen Harper & the rest of the adults are in charge in these difficult times. VancouverHab also says that he really hates snide offhand political remarks on the Habs site where he goes to escape from other people’s (and his own, for that matter) political opinions.

He nonetheless respects, appreciates & looks forward to reading 24Cups’ hockey insights….

74. Mr Dobby says:

That sounds delicious!

75. avatar_58 says:

The more Gomez talks, the more I become a fan. I love his smart mouth attitude.

76. Harry says:

Harry Koivu

“Carey, if the ball breaks from three inches, you’ve got a problem.
    Allen McInnis, Gazette”

Great pix & quote.

Maybe Carey is thinking a goalie will pop-out of the hole?

77. havok says:

All I want is to enjoy “hockey”, I am so disapointed that we give a voice and forum to those who want to “politicize” a GAME, a sport, I want to enjoy a good hockey game with a Guinness or Harp, and be taken away for 2-3hrs.

Do not give a voice to those that depbate the Habs as federalists, or that the french NEED to be in the HABS , until its 100% screw the Nordiques, thepoor owner of that team will have to build a french team instead of a stanley cup team…

So no audio please of those STUPID questions if possible…

Let just WATCH HOCKEY for the love of _________

78. Corio says:

They only have a voice if you LISTEN to it..

79. mike g says:

Agree, nice job.

I try make this point all the time, but people tell me I’m the one stirring up the controversy and language debates…..

Proof once again that the “you know who” section of the media are a bunch of clowns.

1st time they can interview the team after that amazing playoff run, and all they can come up with is why there are no french fries on the team.

Sad and pathetic, really…

80. Bugs says:

Disagree.

Folks oughta have the right to speak their mind, regardless of how you feel about it. Too many fine members of the Canadian Armed Forces DIED for us to enjoy that privilege. So, uhh, in my opinion, I think everyone should be allowed to voice their opinion.

And secondly, what “hockey” are you watchin now?

81. Storm Man says:

Hmmm I would think someone on here knows what Price is doing in that pic… Take a closer look he is looking behind his ball mark, The ball in the pic is moving as it is someone else putting. Good thing I play golf :)

82. soflohabsfan says:

Nice catch on that one Storm Man.

83. emann_222 says:

Gomer Rules!

84. mike g says:

He’s a cool cucumber..

I like the way he acts with the media. He has fun with them and toys around.

85. fbkj says:

and everytime they open their stupid mouths, toronto gets another skyscraper

86. mike g says:

So true….

87. SmartDog says:

ain’t that the truth.

at least it cuts down on traffic. :)

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

88. saskhabfan says:

I think the only upside to having an entire franco lineup would be if one of them ever suffers a serious eye injury you won’t have to worry about le journal reporters busting into your hospital room to take pictures like they did to saku. No wonder he had zero interest in coming back.

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

89. mike g says:

Well said…

the guy would have a party with all the reporters..

90. redgorf says:

redgorf

all the C.PRICE bashers who will have to eat their words in the coming season should be proud enough to donate  50dollars to their favorite charity for redemption for

their coments.

rf

91. SeriousFan09 says:

I love Gionta as the as-yet unofficial Captain, but I really enjoy that he has a great group of leaders that break up the responsibility and prevents him from having to answer every question and have to cover for the team on every night. Gomez, Cammy, Gill, Gorges, Markov and Subban will be able to handle the media and control the message while keeping the team united.

MTL’s leadership will be a serious advantage over our division and most of the conference.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

92. SLONCOLD says:

we do have a good leadership core. Not sure that will make us better than thd majority of the division/ conference. we’re a 6th to 11th place team in my eyes. having a guy with a C on his jersey won’t change that.

our team still relies on goaltending and special teams for success…. until our 5on5 play improves i wouldn’t over value leadership as being the deciding factor of us being a better team. execution will still be key to winning games

93. newbrunswick troy says:

Hey Count Muppet/////bang on the mark…i bet truly thats the opinion of 90%

94. namgel says:

Montreal has continuously tried to promote and obtain Quebec born talent in recent years.  They either show up and act like they own the place and have a special right of passage “Tenderness”.  Or they are cowards who choose to play where they won’t be noticed “Briere”.  I for one welcome more French Canadian talent but not at the expense of winning.  Earn your spot and play to win or don’t waste our time.  We’ve been waiting for a cup too long to deal with this crap.

95. madcap_habsfan says:

I am so excited for this season :) we have a great group of guys and while things might not be perfect i have a feeling we’ll go far again :) yay habs!!

-“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” Chuck Palahniuk

96. scrowe21 says:

Sorry if this has been posted already but apparently Hammer is out with a knee injury and will miss camp.

——–

My spinorama shootout goal with Cammy

97. Bugs says:

Hamr’s pulling a Favre!

98. habsfan_61 says:

fed up with the xenophobic,petty and retarded comments the pequistes have made and will continue to make. what difference does it make where the players come from as long as the habs win thats the bottom line.looking forward to the verbal diahrrea that comes from them once gio gets the c. my God hes anglo and an american on top of that. heaven forfend he’s not french and doesnt speak it.get bent pequiste, concern yourself with the real issues like hospitals/medicine and education jackass

99. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

I couldn’t give a crap what language they speak, but I did love Gomer speaking French today, total props to this guy for trying, you have to love him.

100. JD_ says:

* Good on Gio. The guy must be just bustin’ today. Life doesn’t get any better.

* Steve Begin was on l’Antichambre last night. His pick was Gionta. Said Gio’s the ultimate bring-yer-lunch-pail kinda player and heard that he talks a lot in the dressin’ room. Unfortunately, there were no reports of Begin beatin’ the lights out of Dave Morissette.

* Sens’ owner Eugene Melnyk musin’ about his team eventually winnin’ the Stanley Cup, “It’s not going to be 30 or 40 years, I can tell you that.” That, my friends, is what we call managin’ expectations. That is how it is done. Unless Eugene lives past the age of 81, the guy’s just bought himself a free-ride from any fan bashin’ straight through to the afterlife.

* NHL commish Gary Bettman on punishin’ the Devils, “I am not suggesting for a minute that the Devils acted in bad faith or thought they were trying to do something wrong. Once the finding is circumvention, it has to be addressed.” See? The Devils were not punished for doin’ anythin’ wrong, it was because they tried to circumvent the cap, which although wrong, is not wrong wrong. Right? C’mon people, how can you not absolutely love this guy?

* Just saw this headline, “Leaf prospect Bradley Ross ‘a Brian Burke kind of player’ “. He’s poor defensively and set to be overpaid?

* So, Ottawa’s landed the 2012 NHL All-Star game. Although a total snoozefest on TV, if you can make it, it’s also just about as much fun your kids are ever goin’ to have before, durin’, and after a hockey game. Took my eldest daughter to the game when it was held in Montreal back in ’09. Hockey greats everywhere. We had a blast. She was runnin’ around the Bell Centre hallways, with me in tow, tryin’ to have her picture taken with every team mascot. We got about half of them. Also have her standin’ alongside all the league trophies. We had Luc Robitaille sittin’ behind us in the stands, probably quietly bitchin’, to anyone who would listen, about the McSorley stick penalty in ’93. Picture of daughter with Brian Mulroney. Ignored Burkie, though, when we passed him; I’m on a strict one-shady-manipulator-per-day photo regimen. Point bein’, if you and your kids can get to Ottawa in 2012, you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

101. punkster says:

Surprised about what? That people actually live there?

FREE TIMO!

102. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

He should have beatin the lights out of Francois Gagnon for asking him if “Saku was a good captain?”

103. avatar_58 says:

I’m going to the leafs pre-season game on tuesday :)

(yeah yeah, but it’s still hockey and I’ve never been to a live NHL game)

104. mike g says:

There’s a difference Bugs….

People didn’t die in wars so that Michel Bergeron can bitche about our team not being 100% french-Canadian.

That’s called being ignorant.

I for one, will never become a journalist just so that I can ask questions related to why the Habs don’t sign 20 Russian’s. That’s just stupidity.

And what you explain above is called abusing a privilege.

105. havok says:

Yeah, I won’t get into that, I am not debating politics, we all have a right to an opnion, and to speak it, and God help those dying for that privilege, but my opinion is not to shut opinions up, but this is a Montreal Canadiens site, the Hockey team, I just want to enjoy hockey again, I am stuck listeing to 98.5, with Dutrisac, calling Red Fisher and “old” englishman, who hasnt learned the language even after 50 years of covering the team, because Don Mcpherson wrote an article about “une cveinture flechee” Then I hear the HABS are actually a Federalist representation to undermine sovereignty, and then theres the Colisee thing, I come to this page for Hockey news, I understand there some “a cotes” to it, I accept it, but whats wrong with discussing the “game”? It’s supposed to be “fun” a way out of the daily grind, nice saves and nice goals..

I understand what you mean. and I agree, but there are millions of forums other than here where politics and propganda, and conspiracy theories + Habs can be talked about….or I am that naive / stupid?

106. Bugs says:

Incorrect. That’s EXACTLY what they died for.

As stupid and ignorant you think it is.

107. Bugs says:

So discuss the game then. I’m listening.

But you suggested censorship. YOU brought that up; not me. That’s what I disagreed on. Didn’t bring up the political angle; don’t really want to get into it. Just brought up the opinionating aspect; everyone should be allowed to speak their mind, and since that particular matter does, technically, concern the Canadiens, it also concerns this site, and that’s why it was posted in relation to it, you know that.

But you wanna talk the ACTUAL playing of hockey, go for it. Ignore the other stuff and go for it, baby. I’m listenin; whatchoo got for us?

108. mike g says:

So they died for ignorance….

If you say so. I guess wars are pointless.

109. havok says:

Ahh ok got ya, it was promoting cesorship by asking NOT to play the french/english audio, I see, yeah OK, but it was more a plea then anything…

I will let the other experts talk hockey here, I am nowhere even close to one, I just like watching it, and please be advised there is NO sarcasm in that statement….

110. Bugs says:

I didn’t say “promote”; I said “suggest.”

And you’re as much an expert as anyone here, Havie, so I wanna hear your opinion too.

111. Bugs says:

Yes. They died for you to be able to voice your opinion that it’s ignorant.

Thankfully, your opinion is the Truth of All Things, so it works out well. Right, Mikey?

112. mike g says:

Never said that…

But most of the time I think before I speak. Especially when I’m in public.

And if I was a reporter and had a special privilege to interview these people who are employed by the Habs, I wouldn’t waste my tiny question on WHY WE DON’T HAVE MORE PEPSI’S ON THE TEAM!

IT’S ENOUGH ALREADY BUGS, and you know it.

It’s years this bs has been going on, and the french population knows that nothing is gonna change because hockey as a sport has evolved. It will never, ever again be dominated by french-canadians. Never..It’s a global sport.

But many of the media personalities cannot accept that. And they think it’s their privilege to have to be explained this by high member of the Habs’ organization. If they’d put 2 and 2 together, they’d figure it out on their own.

But it’s called ignorance Bugs, and you know it. They just need attention, and too often when they can get one question out of a Habs player, it has to do with french.

It’s pathetic. It has to stop.

Start printing a letter or something, maybe an e-mail. But let these ignorant people know that no matter how many questions they ask, and no matter how many times they cry on the airwaves on in the papers, Lafleur and Beliveau won’t come back out of retirement. Guillaume will not come back here from Minny, etc….The Habs will not listen to these people and trade their whole team for 23 French-Canadians, it WON’T HAPPEN.

And the french media knows it won’t happen, but they need the attention. They’re obsessed with it, and they think their privilege is to demand this in order to keep the french culture alive.

Sad, really sad. Cuz in the end, it makes the black eye even bigger than it already is.

113. Propwash says:

All I gotta say on the politicizing of a hockey team, pissing and moaning about how the Habs are turning into a federalist hockey team is this….the guy is fulla ***t and his ranting and raving is borderline bigotry.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

114. Storm Man says:

Take the borderline out and your bang on.

115. havok says:

“Havie”? LOL, I have my own nickname…

My opinion for THIS season, is not to expect too much, its next season when  PG has money to play with that I will reserve judgment, according to capgeek we will have $25,713,691 in $$$

So the last 3 years of the “big” three will for me determine their Habs legacy, this year I think is the “bridge” to the next three seasons, that when I will have “expectations”….

Its all on PG in my mind in the 2011-12 season…theres my expertise LOL

116. Bugs says:

Yeah, like I said, good thing you’re there to tell what’s ignorant and what’s pathetic and what’s the Truth of All Things.

If only the French media could be perfect like the English media, you know? And smart and less ignorant than the English media, you know? Then everything would be better, because the English media DOESN’T ask why the French heritage of the club isn’t addressed more. They don’t ask because they’re smart and perfect and not ignorant and not pathetic. And that makes the world a better place.

And we know this because you state it and if you state it, it must be the Truth of All Things.

So thank you, Mikey, for telling me that someone’s opinion is ignorant and pathetic, you who knows nothing of that person’s position in regards to language or culture in this country but are perfectly able to state categorically against it anyway, you must know. Merci de m’avoir expliqué le fond du sujet; me voilà informé.

117. Bugs says:

So where do we finish this year?

Top 8 or go for Couturier?

118. fbkj says:

bugs I hope one day, you will evolve, untill then have fun perpetuating

119. havok says:

Same as last year, but I hate predicting…

120. Propwash says:

Bugs, it’s the principal behind the whole thing, using a hockey team as a crutch to stir the pot so backwards thinking politicians who hold a grudge have an excuse to raise a language issue.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

121. mike g says:

LMAO…

Alright, you’ve gone full crazy right now, lol.

Are you serious? You find it normal that all they do is bitche about an issue that shouldn’t even be braught up?

And when did I say the english media is perfect? Never.

All I’m saying is they don’t make a crazy stink if Metro’s not re-signed and Begin is. They don’t go crazy for weeks saying it was a big mistake, they’d rather have the “P’tit Metro” on the team because he’s english and Begin is French.

No, no no, they don’t start dumb crap like that, because in the end it’s a bunch of crap.

I f you wanna support the comments made by CKAC all day long, that this team should be 100% francophone, then go for it.

Keep wasting your time listening to lost dreams and hopes that will never be fulfilled, because it’s impossible to meet those needs and compete in the NHL. You’d think Quebec’s rich history and understanding of hockey would know what it takes to win Cups and compete in hockey, but obviously they don’t.

PS- If you support those arguments, you can always visit RDS.CA and read many awful posts regarding how we shoulda never signed Gionta last year and kept the precious TANGUAY.

We all know how that worked out, eh?

Bunch of clowns…

122. Bugs says:

Pure anglo-evolved like you, you mean?

Yes, we know. That’s what you all hope.

123. Bugs says:

Never said anything about supporting those arguments; your whole rhetoric bashing me from that angle is therefore wasted, I’m afraid.

Merely said everyone should have the right to voice their opinion regardless of what you think of it.

Even if you, thankfully, has the Truth of All Things at your disposal. You who knows. You who understands the intricacies of this whole pathetic French culture thing sans en parler un foutu mot.

Thank you, Mike.

124. fbkj says:

lol you wanna go there?

nah im a franco-evolved thanks very much

i find it funny that when asked why you are so biased towards french players and that you refuse to criticize francophone players, you pat yourself on the back by criticizing ribeiro (not franco) and theodore (not franco) but then your quick to dismiss me as anglo evolved…

grow up

125. Bugs says:

Totally agree. I don’t have enough facts to be in a position to agree with what Curzi stated, but even if true, I think he’s a total azz for bringing it up the way he did.

Still though, I don’t have to agree or disgree with it when I say that he’s entitled to voice his opinion.

126. mike g says:

Leave him alone, he will never understand..

He’s stuck under his rock, time passed him by and he has no clue what time it is; he’s anti-evolution.

His car probably still has wooden wheels.

127. fbkj says:

I try to read his horse*hit with an open mind, even emulating where hes comming from and I agree with him more than he realizes… he just turns unnecessary screws then feigns drama when he gets called on it, in an arrogannt holier than thou tone…

thankfully hes in the minority in this city

128. Bugs says:

Already went there. Both you and I proved you to be a liar with your “le jus de raisin.” If you were French, you would have credibility bashing French, but you ain’t and you have none. Copy/pasting disrespecting double-talk instead. Turtle. Done.

P.S. You were right about the name-calling. Just you and another poster here, I called “jerks.” Shouldn’t’ve said I never, ever name-call, and just stuck with never.

129. fbkj says:

OH NOES NOT T3H PROOFS!!!

just because im not a ditto head such as yourself doesnt mean im a liar

not even sure what the grape juice s*it is in reference to (at least im praying) cuz otherwise thats another that went over your head

seriously dude, grow up

get out of your parents basement

there is a world out there

130. SeriousFan09 says:

Ottawa has a Koivu situation like we did for many years, Alfredsson is about all they have. Buffalo, Craig Rivet and who else? Boston, they have Chara but he’s yet to really drag his team along and their leadership oversaw the most epic playoff collapse in over 30 years, Toronto, don’t make me laugh. The conference, well I’d say we pretty much wail on the SE Division in that category, Thrashers, Panthers are empty on it and that’s it. Lightning hasn’t exactly made great strides under Lecavalier in the last 5 years, St. Louis is their real leader but after him there’s not much. Carolina appointed E. Staal but after him, they’re short losing Brind’Amour and Ray Whitney, than you come down to WSH with their only solid veteran being Knuble and half a year into the Ovechkin captaincy with “Defence is for dorks” Mike Green wearing the other A. Moving along to the Atlantic, Islanders have little besides Weight, Rangers have Drury and who? NJD and PHI have solid leadership cores so that’s an even-up situation more or less. Against PIT, Guerin’s left and their captain had a rather unglorious exit from the playoffs when MTL challenged him.

Team struggled and survived on special teams/goaltending because of injuries and lack of depth at forward, this year those issues should clear up and they’ll likely do a lot better if more than 2 Top 6 players have more than 70 GP.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

131. SLONCOLD says:

i’m not questioning our leadership. i’m saying our leadership would help us beat better teams like the flyers, pens, caps, devils, bruins.

carolina will be much better this year and  buffalo still has a goalie who is lights out; even though everyone thinks goalies are only as good as teh players infront of them… and teams like the lightning and islanders are going to win more games making everything in the division a little closer.

we’re going to run into injuries hell we’re starting the season off with our best player on the IR.

sorry i’m not feeling this blind faith that the habs r a contender for anything other than a late playoff spot.

132. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

…and he’s a Charger fan, my respect for him went up even higher!

133. Storm Man says:

Not after the game Monday night…. I have no words to say on that one. Guess the Chargers have to go 15-1 now ;)

134. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

You know the Chargers better than that, they’ll start the year 2-2 and finish 11-1. Sloppy conditions, horrible ST coverage, amped up Chiefs D on MNF and unpreapared SD team. They’ll bounce back, they always do.

135. Storm Man says:

I know just kind of hurt’s to lose on MNF. I was very happy with the play of Naanee and Dombrowski we will be 1-1 after Sunday.

136. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

I miss that avatar!

The Rocket’s last hurrah by Robert L.

The PQ really wants to dictate to private enterprises. They are losing a bigots battle as they should. Surely they must realise the earth is no longer flat.!

Montreal Canadiens are no federalist tool: owner

139. New says:

Just think how it would feel to be there on merit, to have paid your dues, beat out the other players…or so you thought…only to have politicians tell you your position is because you were born on one side of an imaginary line.

J.T. just filed an excellent blog on hockey players and  mental development. I hope she can also explain politicians.

140. derfab says:

Why are we so surprised?

That the team is called “Le Canadien” is in and of itself an admitted problem for the self-appointed leaders of the self-diagnosed peuple of the sacred inferiority complex.

141. The.Price.Is.Right says:

Shoulda been Gorges, or a Canadian at least.