All hands were on deck, wearting sea-blue polo shirts, but not everyone played golf.
The list of non-participants included Tomas Plekanec, Andrei Kostitsyn and Andrei Markov (all from countries that used to consider golf a filthy and corrupt capitalist indulgence), plus Josh Gorges and Lars Eller, rehabbing a knee and shoulder, respectively; and P.K. Subban, nursing the first mystery ailment of the season: an upper-body injury that shouldn’t keep him out of training camp.
For those planning to attend the sessions at the Canadiens training complex in Brossard, they begin Saturday morning at 10, with a scrimmage at 11.
Same schedule Sunday and Monday as the team prepares for the first of its eight exhibition games, with Dallas visiting the Bell Centre on Tuesday evening.
Before teeing off, each of the players _ plus general manager Pierre Gauthier , coach Jacques Martin and the guy who signs the paycheques, Geoff Molson – was trotted out to meet the media hordes.
• Pierre Gauthier noted the uniqueness of Andrei Markov’s torn ACL: a clean tear, with no collateral knee damage
• Josh Gorges heaped praise on Dr. James Andrews, who did his knee surgery and Markov’s
• Erik Cole looks big, even in golf clothes
• Brian Gionta and Gorges praised Cole as character guy who’ll be great in the room. And they should know.
• Max Pacioretty – newly married, with his Russian wife studying International Business at McGill – has been trying out new helmet designs, some of which he admits are pretty dorky
• Mike Cammalleri is enjoying fatherhood, but he didn’t play much golf this summer
• P.K. Subban was the only player wearing shorts
• The sun came out just as Carey Price started answering questions
• Yannick Weber considers himself a defenceman, but some see him in a Mark Streit role, dressing as a seventh D
• DD considers himself a centre but wouldn’t mind playing the wing.
• All the players have sweet rides. The BMW X5 is a particular favourite
Here’s some audio. Dave Stubbs will post video as well.
(The sound in the background is three guys in referees’ shirts, playing a baritone sax, a banjo and a tuba in front of the clubhouse.)
Pierre Gauthier I and II | Jacques Martin | Geoff Molson | Brian Gionta | Carey Price | Josh Gorges | P.K. Subban (testing his French) | Erik Cole | Michael Cammalleri | Max Pacioretty | Scott Gomez | Ryan White | Yannick Weber | Peter Budaj | David Desharnais |