Forbes: Habs worth $445 million

GeoffMolson

Forbes Magazine’s annual NHL team valuations have been published and the Canadiens are listed as the league’s third most valuable franchise, worth $445 million US, up from their 2010 value of $408 million.

As was the case last year, the Habs are third in the league behind the Maple Leafs ($521 million) and the Rangers ($507 million).

Forbes adds that the team’s annual revenue was $165 million, up $2 million from last year. They had an operating income (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) of $47.7 million, which is down from $53.1 million the previous year, perhaps due in part to the shorter playoff run in 2010 than 2009, but largely to the escalation in salaries they paid. The player costs for this year’s study are $64 million, for last year they were $55 million. (Neither of those figures matches what some of the websites that track player salaries list as the Habs’ payroll, for some reason).

Forbes’ profile of the Canadiens reads: “By selling out the Bell Centre every year since the 2004-05 lockout, the Canadiens continue to be among the most profitable teams in the NHL. Montreal earns nearly $3 million per game at the arena from tickets, suites and concessions. The Canadiens also boast a lucrative local television deal and post among the league’s highest ratings every season. The Molson family repurchased 80% of the Canadiens in 2009 from George Gillett (Molson Breweries retained 20% of the team and the Bell Centre when it sold the assets in 2001). The enterprise value of the team, arena and a concert-production business was $575 million. The Canadiens have won a record 24 Stanley Cups.”

But all is not rosy in the NHL, the magazine believes.

Higher player costs is a main point of the Forbes study of the NHL’s business. Team values are at an all-time high, writes Michael Ozanian in the main essay, $240 million, 5 percent more than last year. But player costs increased 11 percent league-wide which, he says, brings about the drop in operating income.

“Last season 18 of the league’s 30 teams lost money even before they had to pay bank loans or write down assets, compared with 16 the prior year,” he writes.

And the consequence of that could mean trouble next fall: “The league’s salary cap, set at 57 percent of revenue, is too high for some teams to be profitable,” he writes. “As a result, expect the National Hockey League to undergo a cantankerous labor negotiations when the owners and players union begin to hammer our a new collective bargaining agreement to replace the current six-year deal that expires in September. The NHL must move much closer to the 48 percent model the NFL agreed to before this season or the 50-50 revenue split National Basketball Association’s owners and players recently agreed to.”

It’s too soon to tell whether this will translate into a work stoppage next fall. These are Forbes’ figures, not the ones that will be in front of the owners and players at the bargaining table. In fact, last month Larry Brooks of the New York Post reported the NHLPA is contesting the NHL’s revenue figures.

Keep in mind the players took a 20 percent pay cut at the end of the lockout six years ago and was forced to accept the salary cap. If Forbes is right and the NHL demands another salary rollback this time, how will the players react?

1. dpat44 says:

It’s getting painful to watch them. Markov is done. I’m still in shock we didn’t resign Wiz.

2. Habziefan09 says:

445 Million and we can’t afford a new Coach and Gm?

____________________________________________________________
    Twitter: Habziefan09

Confucius says: “Baseball has it all wrong, Man with 4 balls cannot walk!”

He did skate “apparantly” today but at a facility away from rest of team.

4. Rainrocket16 says:

Re-post sorry…had to.

I was at last nights game in SJ and I have to say that it was fun to watch a game there. With that said I was very upset with the lack of sportmanship from the younger fans their, they were heckling me and my son all game and I finally had enough! I told them to shut their mouths and stop swearing in front of my child or I will throw their little asses over the balcony. A bit harsh yes but enough is enough….This is for the young kids out there!!! DO NOT disrespect someone for wearing the opponents jersey when they pay for tickets and support their team and travel great lengths to do so…it is immature and very dissapointing.

On a funny note though..My 5 year old son at one point, on his own intuition, turned around facing them punks and said “Daddy where is their Cup Banner”..Awesome, this was after I had said my piece by the way… Price looked great let’s not get too discouraged yet this season! Happy Holidays Habs fans!

Sorry to hear you had that experience Rocket, sounds like you still enjoyed the game.

• Rainrocket16 says:

It was a hell of a good game to watch. And the Shark tank is a fun place, I guess I am getting old and am tired of young kids who know nothing of hockey and no social behavioral skills. Probably the parents.

• Ian Cobb says:

Lack of respect runs through to much of our societies now! Some do not have a clue and our prisons are full.

• cuzzie says:

Ian we have become a soft society. We are always looking to blame someone and not taking responsibilities for our own failings. The individual pride has been forsaken, and the cop out has been to blame it on society. We are society.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

• J_P says:

“daddy, where is their cup banner”…..EPIC! Well played kid, well played indeed.

• Timo says:

That’s unfortunate. When I went to see Habs in Cali a few years back I thought local fans were very friendly and nice to mingle with. The morons who heckled you and your boy are just that – morons. Happens everywhere, unfortunately.

• PrimeTime says:

This attitude and disrespect in general is not isolate to “games”….you can find the same on some blogs (cough) from all ages and regions everywhere.

5. cuzzie says:

All these personal stats of players makes me sick. The only stat the counts is the win loss. Just Win, Baby!

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

6. SmartDog says:

****5 QUESTIONS*****:
    1. If Weber and Cammalleri were trade for Iginla would you be okay with that? What about Weber and Pacioretty? (Please god, no.)
    2. Why did Diaz lead all Habs skaters in ice time last night? Is JM sweet on him? Is he on the block? Or was the game brought to you by the number “61”…. ahh ahhh ahhhhhh….!
    3. Has your feeling about Gionta as Captain changed this year?
    4. Has Travis Moen just been lucky this year? Or is he the real deal?
    5. Which would you rather – finish in 9th place in the conference and miss the playoffs or suffer so many losses we finish in 13 or 14th and are humbled, but get a better pick.
    6. BONUS QUESTION: I think I’ve seen Andrei Kostitsyn smile a few times lately. Is he happy here or just practicing posing for his mug shot with a new team?
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• GrimJim says:

1. Weber and Cammy – hold my nose but accept it.
      Weber and Pac = “where’s my huntin’ rifle”
      2. Diaz was getting pinned to the boards by the SJ forecheck and he got so used to it and it took him about 5 second to realize the puck was going the other way and he could get up and change. Then by the time he was halfway to the bench, SJ had the puck again and he had to play another shift
      3. Nope
      4. Moen = 10 goals for the season. U herd it here 1st.
      5. Win the Cup. Miracles happen – everlasting1 is proof of that
      6. He’s happy here. There is someone wearing #74 that he can talk to but who isn’t going to constantly remind him that Mom didn’t like him best.

• tbovs says:

1….No.. JI is not the same as he was 2 years ago. I think Cammi has more upside as in he can put up better numbers. JI I think with all the wrist problems he has had isn’t the same scoring threat.

2…I hate Diaz…little offence with glaring defence. Ya He’s new but you can find a better player for the same price. IMO he needs to spend a couple years in Hamilton to get the game.

3…NO…nuff said.

4….Moen works hard and he had hands in Juniour so lots of times guys like him get rewrded…look at Chris simon 30goals and Barnaby 30 goals. Plus Moen is tougher than we give him credit for. He can drop the gloves and throw em pretty well.

5…Neither but if I HAVE to choose…9th…at least it would be exciting down to the wire. If your 13th or even 16th…not guarenteed a bluechip pick.

6…It seems like he has got more “friends” on the team. His english is better and he is probablly hanging with the guys more i.e. the younger ones. He has played good this year when he has been healthy.

• TomNickle says:

1. I’m okay with trading Weber and Cammalleri for Steve Ott. So I think I’d be okay with the team getting Iginla for him.

2. I have no idea why the team’s fifth best active defenseman lead the team in icetime last night. And I don’t want to know.

3. Nope.

4. He’s in between. No way an NHLer should have missed the number of golden opportunities he has in the last two years. But he’s made the most of them so far this year.

5. I’d rather finish dead last than 9th.

6. He’s probably happy. He sees the writing on the wall like everyone else does.

• J_P says:

NICE! Love the 5 questions!

1. Weber and Cammy id have no problem with, but no way id trade pacioretty. Hes still super young, and ive been very impressed with his play this year. I think his ceiling can very well be a jerome iginla type player, although i may just have the good old habs goggles on.

2. JM is sweet on him. There is no justification for that kind of ice time in my opinion. I know Subban is having a bit of a rough year, but Diaz isnt exactly a world-beating-second-coming-of-a-healthy-andrei-markov out there either.

3. Yes. I dont like him wearing the C, but unless they are going to trade him, I dont believe in taking it away. C is overrated anyway.

4. He’s an established player, so I dont get how he could suddenly be the real deal. He seems to have found a knack for the net this year, but I cant see him maintaining that pace.

5. Playoffs or lottery, anything in between is another disaster season.

6. He’s UFA at seasons end, and if I was him, I definitely wouldnt stay here. If he makes it to july 1st unsigned by us he will be a nashville predator with his bro. You heard it here first.

1. weber and cammy i would be okay with, but only if Markov is coming back for real soon. This is more a short term trade than long term.
      2. JM has financial investments in a Swiss Bank and Diaz’s father is the bank manager there.
      3. Still like Gio.
      4. Moen finally isn’t our only forward with size, therefore he can play more mins. on 2nd or 3rd lines against competition he can compete against. Last year he was trying to fill in as a 1st/2nd line power forward big difference.
      5. Too early for me to commit, but rather have a higher draft if no playoffs.
      6. I think AK likes Montreal, not sure JM likes AK or vice versa.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

1. I’d do Weber & Cammi for Iginla in a second, but I doubt the Flames would want Cammi if they were trading Iginla. The only reason they Should want him is to play With Iginla. I’d trade PK before Max Pacioretty. Only Price is more important than Max Pac IMO.
      2. Fluke. Had there been more penalties to kill Diaz would not have edged Subban in minutes, plus Raffi got 4-on-4 time in OT.
      3. Gionta as captain is like no Captain at all which isn’t the worst thing.
      4. Moen’s the same player, but he worked on his shot, so he’s burying more chances. Also, he’s playing smarted minutes with better match-ups that if he played the wing with Pleks.
      5. 8th is WAY better than 9th. You learn a lot about what your own guys in the playoffs. 15th is better than 9th.
      6. I’m a huge Andrei fan, so I don’t want to see him go, but I also think he’s worth more to the habs than anything he could bring back in a trade, so I don’t think he’s going anywhere for a while. I expect a new contract for Alex Steen, or Rene Bourque kind of money.

• HabCez says:

1)Yes.. but I dont think Calgary fans would
      2)Yes.. JM has the hot for him ;).. perhaps Diaz is what Calgary likes..
      3)Nope.. Gionta is the ‘Iron Man’ but his role has changed (2 way player)
      4)I think he picked up a few tricks while playing with Eller and AK :D and i hope when everyone is back that line resumes..
      5)None of the above. I’d think we would blow our picks. If came to dog fighting for the 8th spot.. habs will take it..
      6)I think he is happy cause he looks like he is communicating better with his teammates.. and he has some success pretty much playing on all 4 lines.. Although i dont think he is 100% healthy at the moment.. also JM not benching for ‘low risk’ mistakes..

“Emelin’s the real deal.”
      – HabCez

• petefleet says:

1. Why trade one under performer for another under performer. I’m a betting man and I’ll bet when (if) we make the dance this year, that’s when the real Cammy will show up again. I just wish it wouldn’t take that long. He did look better last nite.
      2. Not sure what JM was doing with Diaz, but he is a good player and has been better than alot of the others.
      3. I never really liked Gionta for Capt. I thought Gorges was a better fit.
      4. Travis Moen grew a big bottle of MOJO over the summer and I like the way he’s playing. I think he’s for real.
      5. I would love for the Habs to finish 29th this year and 30th next year. Seriously. You don’t build champions drafting 15th and below. Look at CHI, PITT, and yes BOS.
      6. AK46 is an awsome winger and he’s not going anywhere. Trading him would be a mistake. He is consistantly good for 25+ goals in his inconsistant manner. I’m OK with that. 25+ goal scorers do not grow on trees.

******************************************
      Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

***Habs Forever***

7. TomNickle says:

This team needs an elite defenseman. And by elite I mean a Norris candidate defenseman. Who was the last Cup winner who didn’t have one?

A Cammalleri and then some package could probably do it. There are a lot of teams out there who can’t afford elite defenseman. Nashville, Phoenix and Colorado come to mind.

A couple of obvious choices in Nashville. Gosh golly that would be nice.

• mjames says:

You mean someone like a Ryan McDonough. I know he is not quite a Norris candidate but he is pointed in that direction.

mjames

• tbovs says:

So is Subban…wait for McDonough’s softmore slump before we decide. A good career does not one good season make….did i get that backwards….nm.

• TomNickle says:

McDonagh was underachieving in college. Nobody saw his emergence coming other than him. And if they say they did, they were lying. He had a light switch moment in his final year of college and it was a pleasant surprise for the Rangers.

I’m talking about adding a Norris candidate. Not a guy who might become one.

• tbovs says:

I disagree…we need fire power punch. We DESERVE a superstar at forward which we haven’t had since Naslund and even then. We can play D we just can’t putthe puck in the net…I would trade everyone for Nash if we could (exageration). In reality, I would put Cammelari, Weber, 2nd and 3rd rounders. This is a guy we could get 10 + years out and consistently is around 40 goals with shit poor players. Put him with plecks and or eller or even Leblanc in 2 years. Defenceman no , Superstar forward yes.

Team certainly does Tom, and I think we thought we had that in Markov this year. That really has been what we have missed.

• CanadienBoy says:

we did give 2 rd pick for the Wiz who actually can hit the net

• PrimeTime says:

We have one…..he has a bum knee in case you missed t

8. Sharks9 says:

The best and worst of November’s stats. Gill is leading the league in Shot blocks per game, Gorges is in 9th place as well.

25 before 14

9. Holy crap — just saw the boxscore and realized that Diaz got 27:40 of even-strength icetime yesterday — more than any other Hab by almost 4 minutes.

Am I crazy, or doesn’t he belong behind every one of Subban, Gill, Gorges, Weber and Emelin on the depth chart?

10. Can someone from Habs organizations give an update on when AM79 is going to return to Habs lineup? Sure would be nice to hear when?

11. shiram says:

Markov not playing tomorrow, for any still wondering.

Forbidden
    You don’t have permission to access /wp-content/cache/supercache/www.hockeyinsideout.com/boone/liveblog-will-the-habs-find-their-way-in-san-jose/index.html on this server.

12. Can someone tell if Habs/Flames had a deal in place? Jarome Iginla needed to move his NMC and the deal would have been done? Going the other way would have been Mike Cammalleri and Yanick Weber. Is there any truth to this or just hearsay?

• shiram says:

Rumour untill it’s posted on the Habs/Flames website.

Forbidden

• The Torch says:

I like the rumor!

• kempie says:

I believe it was a rumour started on Twitter by a guy who calls himself Incarcerated Bob. Apparently this guy has called a few trades before they happened before but in other sports (NBA, MLB etc). When I heard it last night it was Pacioretty & Weber for Iggy & some other stiff to be named later. I guess if you replace Max with Cammy it seems a little more believable, but I can’t remember ever hearing a rumour involving a Habs trade that came true. Ever. I bet it’s easier to find things out about N. Korea’s nuclear projects than PG’s trade discussions.

• Habfan4lfe says:

I heard that too and I was very afraid however Cammalari and Weber for Iginla sounds fine to me.

• kempie says:

Remember that Iginla is 34 yo and makes Gomez money. Don’t get me wrong, I love him and I wouldn’t mind his contract for the last two years, but he’s not a guy you trade Max for. If it was Cammy, I’d likely do it but unless you can convince Gomez to give his salary to Iggy, then I don’t see how it’s at all possible.

• HabCez says:

i would love that trade too.. Cammy/Weber for Iggy..
            but if they saw last nights game.. i’d think they would want anyone but Weber.. (Diaz.. since he had so much icetime)

I dont think calgary would take a chance on Max cause of his neck injury.. which is a good thing

“Emelin’s the real deal.”
            – HabCez

• HabFanSince72 says:

Let’s not forget that Cammy has been leading scorer for the last two playoffs. Yes, everyone wants him gone because he’s slumping, but he’s a good one.

Iggy’s not bad though.

• TomNickle says:

Only one in recent memory I saw was Moore for the 2nd round pick. A few places had Halak to the Blues too but it was for Perron, not Eller. Moore deal reported by the thefourthperiod.com and the Halak deal was Eliote Friedman.

• ffenliv says:

Not more believable, just less lopsided. I refuse to believe PG would give away Patches and a pick for Iginla. Ignoring the possibility of a lockout year/change to the rules, Iginla will be in the ‘even if he retires, you still have to count him against your cap’ category next year.

No way can they let Max walk for a guy having a bad year, and maybe having a bad end to his career.

I *might* be able to see Cammi/Iginla, with Weber thrown in there just because, but I don’t know if such a swap does much aside from giving each player a change of scenery, and adding adding a player 5 years old to our roster.

Cammy is obviously in a rut, but his is not age-induced (you would hope, anyway), whereas Iginla really may just be falling fast due to age now.

• Kooch7800 says:

Why would Calgary make that trade? Trade their captain for Cammy who is struggling and Weber?

That trade doesn’t do much for the flames. The asking price for Iggy would be higher and really Iggy would not solve the problems of this team

• ffenliv says:

Exactly. Add to that his NTC, and his likely desire to go to a contender, if he has any interest at all in leaving.

Montreal … not exactly a contender.

13. The Torch says:

Too bad we let Guy Boucher sign with the Lightning. Could have seen JM as the Ducks new bench boss.

14. Storm Man says:

What is with all the spy vs spy bs about if and when AM79 is going to play again.. Why does PG just come out and say” Sorry im the donkey that gave someone with a bum knee all this money and he can’t play anymore” I don’t get it. it just show’s this team is run like a mob strip club always making money but who cares about what the product looks like… Someone in the press should just say” hey lord martin tell us the truth on this matter” maybe we need that women again to be on the case and get to the truth of the matter.

• shiram says:

MTL media is like a rabid famished dog, and the Habs are the juiciest, thickest most awesomest steak ever.
      Now if you are the steak, do you give your whereabouts to the that dog??

Forbidden

• G-Man says:

How can they answer what they do not know?

Question to the wise, are the National TV contracts paid out equally to all teams in the league? By that, do the Canadian TV Contract revenues (TSN/CBC) get pooled with the NBC/Versus revunues and then divided equally?

I could see the wealthy owners being willing to sacrifice a year of hockey if it means successful contraction, higher tv money per team, greater % of overall revenues and less having to share with the poor cousins down South. Then in 4-5 years time with a healthier looking league they sell a couple franchises over again.

• GrimJim says:

Almost. I read somewhere once that the NHL head office got to use the national TV money to fund head office operations, then the rest was divided per team and paid out. In the Hockey-Related Revenue reporting schedule in the appendix of teh CBA, national broadcast revenues are listed as “net, per team – to be filled out by NHL head office…” which supports what I read.
      IMO the NHL owners aren’t going to contract any teams. They believe they will be more valuable (even if it’s just PR “value” or “potential future revenue” value) by having 30 teams spread across the continent than by having 24 teams concentrated in select regions.

Markov–If this specialist in LA that the club lined up to see before the west coast trip, wants to operate, he will be done for the year!

• krob1000 says:

if a tree falls in the forest and noone is there to hear does it really make a sound?
      if a Markov gets injured again but was never there to begin with can he really be done for the year?

17. krob1000 says:

Subban therapy day now too? can this get any worse?

18. Da Hema says:

Perhaps it is an unflattering picture of Molson, but doesn’t he look like the kind of frat boy you want to whap right upside the head?

19. C-Sword says:

I hope that Markov’s return isn’t rushed. What’s the point of having him back if he isn’t fully recovered? I don’t want him to play scared like Cammy. I actually don’t mind if the team misses the playoffs this season, I’m more interested in the development of the young players we have.

20. habaddict_andy says:

I couldn’t careless about Habs market value. Just please please start winning before the playoff spot goes out of reach.

——————————————————————–
    Go! Hockey! Go!

21. Maksimir says:

Luongo is out of favour with Vancouver.. here’s what PG does:

Cammy & draft pick for Luo..

Turn around and send Luo to Anaheim for Ryan and someone else to offset Luo’s big contract!

Dammit I should be the Habs GM!

22. Rad says:

Emelin is everything I thought he would be, and more. He has been one of the few bright lights in this dismal season. 22:29 TOI last night, and led the team with 5 hits, including that bomb that he dropped on Pavelski. I can guarantee Mr Pavelski is feeling that one today.

• Marcusman says:

Hit open ice check was the best part about staying up till 1am two nights in a row. I think I’m ready to give up on Diaz though….hasn’t done squat since that nice goal he scored.

23. 86ontheice says:

Emelin seems to have improved since Markov started practicing with the team. He will help him immensely.

24. Steeltown Hab says:

A few points about last night’s game

– Desharnais’ breakout game, no doubt. Even tho he didn’t shine as much I think that was Subban’s best game of the yr he kept it simple out there, no fake slappers, good to see

– Emelin is a beast, and is definately top 4 on this squad with or without Markov in the lineup

– I actually don’t mind Gorges on the pp, not too bad of a passer, keeps it simple out there and holds the line better than Diaz

– Moen in the shootout isn’t the reason we lost the game or the shootout, but seriously with AK, Eller, Subban (hadn’t shot yet), and Plekanec on the bench…

It’s moments like that I think JM really doesn’t have a clue what he has on his bench. Moen wasn’t hot in this game and obviously skill plays a huge part in the shootout

And to be a little nitpicky, DD is a skill guy and had an incredible game he has to be in MTL top 3 for the shootout in a game like that

• Habfan4lfe says:

Martin doesn’t have a clue, just like G-Man on this site. Just think if we had a better coach we would have won that game easy. Moen and no Plekanec for PS. Wow. JM ceases to amaze me in his absolute stupidity.

I wished I had purchased one during the Summit, but absolutely, my next Montreal Jersey with name and number on back will be Emelin. Love the guy, plus he is about as big and ugly as me. Perfect!!!

26. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Not sure if this has been covered anywhere here yet, but Brian Wilde told me today that Markov has definitely suffered a setback, and won’t be playing in L.A., and not likely this month. He feels pain pivoting to one side. Doesn’t look promising.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

27. naweed235 says:

Ah crap… Apparently we won’t be seeing Markov back any time soon… :S

28. Chris says:

Well, the Habs better start playing better soon. I need a deep playoff run from Montreal now that it looks like the Danes are going to have a short Euro 2012 after getting plunked into the Group of Death with Germany, Holland and Portugal.

Ugh.

As a big German supporter, I agree with you on Group of Death. A Dutch friend of mine and I got together at lunch to watch the draw, we were so pissed off that we have to play each other and have a talented squad like Portugal and the always consistent Danes in the group. Group of Death by a mile.

• cuzzie says:

Group of the Champions. Who ever makes it out of the group will go on to win.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

• Everlasting1 says:

Not if the defending champs have anything to say about it.

——————————————————————-
          Thus sayeth the Lord, “Destroyed I the Amorite before them, whose height was like the height of the cedars, and he was strong as the oaks.” Amos 2:9

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Everlasting1 says:

lol
      The final groupings..

Live From Kyiv

Group A: Poland, Greece, Russia, Czech Republic
      Group B: Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Portugal
      Group C: Spain, Italy, Republic of Ireland, Croatia
      Group D: Ukraine, Sweden, France, England

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

29. Hobie Hansen says:

Ok If the revenue of the team is $165 Million…I think they can afford to eat the Gomez contact, send him Hamilton and replace him with another $7.5 million dollar player(s).

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch. Be yours to hold the Smurf tradition high.”

30. HabFanSince72 says:

Last lockout we got Carey Price. I think it’s our best chance at a lottery pick.

31. shiram says:

This is great

Forbidden

32. Everlasting1 says:

How will the players react to another salary rollback? Who gives a rats a$$. Bickering millionaires vs bickering billionaires don’t concern me.
    How will/should the fans react to soaring tix prices? They are the real losers in any agreement.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

33. ABHabsfan says:

I think you are correct about it being a matter of big owners vs little owners. However if the “have” owners draw their line in the sand and refuse to share with small owners, they may force teams to fold. This may seem alright from a Habs fan point of view, and probably needs to happen IMO. However it means lost jobs to the NHLPA and a weaker union with fewer members which may end up being the real sticking point. Hard to get players to vote to lose their own jobs.

34. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

I just want to point out Emelin is starting to really fit in the NHL. I know he took a lot of heat from tremblay, (but who cares what he thinks, he helped destory our franchise) He is currently 18th in the NHL with 65 hits in only 18 games( including a highlight reel one last night) He also has 31 blocked shots which must be high for rookies, and HE HAS ONLY TAKEN 3 PENALTIES ALL SEASON. I’ve seen countless rookies take 3 penaties a game. I think he is due to get some regconiztion for his play, It is a HUGE tranistion, from league, culture, and languages, so congrats on Emelin, keep it up!

I also wanted to say Cole has been exactly as advertised, GREAT team player, takes the body, plays D, plays with heart, the best forward on the team this year by far, the numbers might not be as sweet as max or pleks, but he is the guy Id fear the most on our team. Way to Go ColE!!!

now, the PP is horrendous, and I still dont get why they havnt changed their philophies, pleks on the point gotta go, and if JM dosnt get the boys winning, well he can go to the AHL with Gomez,

One more shout out to Georges, who is quietly putting together a great season for his type of game. I know his numbers dont show up on the stat sheet, and we love him for that, so hopefully he does the same on the payroll and we love him for that too.

have a great day, kick ass SAT afternoon, 3PM start..

peacccces!

• avatar_58 says:

Last night looked to be Emelin’s best game, though he did make one glaring mistake that luckily didn’t cost them. He did acknowledge it though, you could see his face as he skated to the bench.

I did enjoy Diaz and Emelin cleaning Price off when he was snowed. Like “sorry mr price sir, lemme me fix that for you”

• RGM says:

Actually for the first time in his NHL career, Josh’s work and effort level is producing stats. He’s got that OT GWG and is in the top 5 in the team for assists.

Agreed that Cole & Emelin have been very good this year. It took a while for the coach to use both of them properly, but all of a sudden they’re doing just fine. Funny how when you people the right people in the right situations, good things happen, eh?

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!
      RGM’s Movember page: http://mobro.co/RGM81

• avatar_58 says:

HELLS YA LIKE MOEN IN THE SHOOTOUT!

Oh wait

• savethepuck says:

I think it took the coach a while “to use them properly” because it took Emelin a while to adjust to a different game than overseas and it took Cole a while to adjust to a new role in a new system on a new team. I never had a problem with JM’s use of either of them early in the season.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• Habitoban says:

By his account, Josh was playing on a bad knee for a few years. Post surgery he looks quicker and more agile, and seems more confident and willing to carry the puck, which has helped his game a lot.

• CanadienBoy says:

I think at this point in the season Georges should get a contract extension to make up for that one year deal

35. Habsolutely says:

I was just checking out the standings and I noticed Montreal has the most loser points in the NHL with 5. I didn’t realize we’ve lost in overtime so often?

36. cha-cho says:

I cant understand how the leafs could come in 1st for the past 4 years?…does anybody know if it’s actually the Leafs or MLSE they are basing this value on?

It would make sense if they are talking about Maple Leafs Sports Entertainment, which composes of the Raptors and that soccer team.

But for the leafs to be making the most money after 6 years of non playoff hockey makes no sense at all. Watching a game at the ACC is like hanging out in a morgue

Was Markov Made In China??

37. Habsolutely says:

I dreaded the lockout when it happened, but now I don’t even care if it happens. I’m so sick of the bad reffing and the corruption and the sad joke Bettman and his cronies have turned NHL hockey into, they might as well sit out another season, it will give me more time to lower my golf score.

38. likehoy says:

repost from the other thread cause I didn’t know there was a new thread.

@J_P

I think you’re treating athletes as if they’re not human cause even though they’re supremely talented and put a lot of hard work to being professional athletes, it doesn’t mean they are mentally trained to take pressure from fans or even their own teammates.

in the end it’s a game that’s for fun, that’s what it’s built on and if it stops being fun, then I can’t blame the players for cracking under pressure or if they can’t handle the pressure

It’s no coincidence that many athletes are committing suicide because of the pressures involved. Go ahead and tell some of these guys “if you can’t handle the pressure, don’t play.” It’s not as easy as that.

There’s also a huge factor that some of these players come from negative environments, some come from poor backgrounds, some maybe had a family problems.. and when they are suddenly put in the limelight, making so much money, they might not be able to handle it and they self-destruct.. It’s not easy to tell that guy “bro, if you can’t handle your money and your fame, just don’t play hockey.”

Everyone wants to win, but at the same time.. if you put winning against a comfortable living that allows you to be mentally and physically healthy while making a living.. you’re going to find some players who won’t play to their potential day in, day out, or even want to put everything on the line.. ya that pisses off people and their teammates, but it’s their prerogative, and that’s a reason why some of these players don’t mind playing in anonymity and I can’t really blame them. Would you tell these players that since they don’t want to handle the pressures of fans expectations, they shouldn’t be playing the game?

Playing a game or not, it’s still a way to make a living and these players are still human and we shouldn’t be allowed to ignore their human qualities because we look up to them to do what we can’t.

– If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

39. Chrisadiens says:

Im not so sure the NHL could handle another work stoppage. Contraction coming? I think so. The NHL is a niche sport in the US as it is. Maybe Bettman still works for the NBA and he’s sabotaging the NHL!

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

40. habsnyc says:

Operating income includes depreciation and amortization. EBITDA is operating income excluding depreciation and amortization. I assume the operating income figures use cash salary paid instead of salary cap numbers. I also guess the reason that player costs do not match listed figures is that salary cap is calculated on a NHL season and operating income is calculated on a calander year also the player costs include heathcare, benefits, payroll taxes which are not part of the salary cap.

The operating income numbers may include one time factors which obfuscate the true value of the team. All you really care about is the amount of debt each team has. It is one thing to lose money and have no debt, but losing money and having to pay back loans leads to instability.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

41. ffenliv says:

Another lockout would be a disaster for the league. Some franchises are still struggling from the last one – since they already hadd poor visibility/popularity. It’ll be another round of ‘hockey is on strike? what’s hockey’? in the US press.

I just wish the players would realise that the owners are all billionaire individuals, or gazillionaire corporations/investment companies. They stand to lose less money locking you out for a year to get a good deal than they do caving, playing the year, but with higher salaries.

42. DorvalTony says:

Molson didn’t buy the team as a profit-making vehicle. He sees it as one of the crown jewels of the family’s companies and takes ownership of le Canadien with pride and seriousness. Question: how long (if ever) until he recognizes the Gainey crew dead ended a couple of years ago and save for Jaroslav Halak (literally) we’d be called Leafs East.

——————————————–
    Brendan Shanahan is Colon Campbull in drag.

That Molson face says “I am alright, Jack… (and the rest of you can suck on it)”

44. TOP DAWG says:

Let the players go out in “The real World” and work for that kind of money. Not going to happen!

“If you’re not the TOP DAWG, the view never changes”

A lockout appears inevitable.

The only good news out of that for the Habs will be that another year of Gomez’s contract will be eaten up.

• Habsolutely says:

oh hells ya.

• SeriousFan09 says:

I don’t think it’s as inevitable as some paint it to be. Two lockouts in 8 years? That’s a pretty easy way to look like a bad joke compared to your NA Pro leagues competition and shoot yourself in the foot just as you’re growing your brand.

Owners will strike a deal to end this 57% cap rule and work something else out. I think it’s more rich versus poor owners in this CBA than Players V Owners. I can’t imagine Molsons, MLSE and the like enjoy paying for southern teams to exist.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• Habsolutely says:

Southern teams like Long Island and New Jersey? Oh wait, they don’t have Palm trees outside so you don’t hate them right? lol

• 24 Cups says:

I don’t know, Robert. You’ve got to figure that the 50% split in the NBA is going to factor into this. Not to mention that both MLB and the NFL are well below 57%. Then there’s the few loopholes that the league’s own GMs took advantage of once they figured out an end run.

Everybody talks about Fehr and his reputation. His allegiance to the players is unquestioned. However, he has a reputation of not giving a shite about the game or the fans.

Looks like storm clouds to me.

• kempie says:

“That’s a pretty easy way to look like a bad joke compared to your NA Pro leagues competition and shoot yourself in the foot just as you’re growing your brand.”

Dude. Welcome to the NHL.

46. Hammer says:

Sorry, but financial accounting reporting does not function the way you propose.

47. RGM says:

Don’t forget that the purchase price also includes the Bell Centre itself as well as (I think) Gillett’s other/non-sports entertaintent ventures.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!
    RGM’s Movember page: http://mobro.co/RGM81

48. otter649 says:

The value of The Habs “Hockey Team” went up 9% since last season with The Rangers going up 10% & The Leafs 3% as the value shown is only for the hockey teams & not other parts of the corp such as arenas/concert concerns or other teams such as The Leafs with The Raptors/Soccer team & Leafs/Raptors TV etc…..

49. HabFanSince72 says:

As RGN said the Molsons also bought the hugely profitable Bell Ctr and Entertainment Business.

Also the $455M value means nothing until you sell the team.

Based on your understanding of Financial reporting, I now understand all your posts much better. Very telling.