For sale, but act quickly: Lafleur’s 1976-77 Hart Trophy miniature

flower-trophies

Canadiens great Guy Lafleur poses with (from left) his 1976-77 Art Ross, Conn Smythe and Hart trophies won as, respectively, the NHL’s leading point-scorer, most valuable player in the playoffs and MVP of the regular season.
Denis Brodeur, NHLI via Getty Images

A piece of Canadiens history is on the auction block: the 14-inch miniature of Guy Lafleur’s 1976-77 Hart Trophy is for auction until midnight Friday ET.

You’ll have to dig deep if you’re interested: as of 12:30 pm ET Friday, it had a high bid of $23,579.48.

Here’s where you’ll find the item online. Have fun bidding – or watching as others do.

1. boing007 says:

I had a pipe dream today that Jean Beliveau had talked Vinny Lecavalier into signing with Montréal. No, I wasn’t smoking opium.

Richard R

2. frontenac1 says:

Hey Dunboyne! One of these days I will make to Ireland amigo. My Great Grandfather came from Ulster. From what I understand ,he was “asked”to leave in the Late 1800″s. He “settled “in Montreal. Saludos!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

You are on. I want to hear that story in full! Good brewery and distillery tours here. If you can share any details about your great grandfather, I might be able to find out some stuff for you.

3. Dunboyne Mike says:

I believe White can be coached into capitalising on his strengths and getting his discipline under control. I like the signing.

Am I wrong?

4. frontenac1 says:

Pissing rain today, golf game scratched=extra Saloon time. Its all good. CFL double header tonight and Junior Draft Sunday. What’s not to like? Saludos amigos and have a Great Canada Day Weekend!

5. deggy24 says:

Signature moment, first 4 minutes of game 5, Kane in the high slot whistles one 7′ high 4 feet to Chara’s left, 8 feet left of the goalie. Statement is “I could have got you but not that impure of heart”. Great victory for Hawks .. total class throughout ..

Habs Win!

6. ari says:

he ends up some where in west coast.most probably south side

7. mrhabby says:

Vinnie does not want to play in Canada….oh poor baby…hope he ends up in some state where no one really cares…..cash it in Vinnie..

He does need security….

8. The Dude says:

OK Timmons do yer job and grab this lil tyke… http://tinyurl.com/p96yqjq

Rangers keep Brad Richards for one more year. I didn’t check their cap situation but it strikes me as a good move. Tampa couldn’t do that with Vinny due to his constant history of injuries.

Same goes for Chicago with Hossa. He’s slated for possible back surgery so they can’t use an amnesty buyout on him.

I am sure it’s been brought up but Habs resigned Blunden. That’s a signing I don’t mind for a change.

11. Ozmodiar says:

Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS 45m
    Close to 15 teams have interest in Vincent Lecavalier so far. #RDS

• florida habs says:

the great thing about twitter, is anyone can say anything, and be an insider, I think 17 teams are interested.

• Stevie.Ray says:

Renaud Lavoie is pretty reliable though

• Bill says:

And it’s not surprising. I think most teams would be conditionally interested … the list of teams willing to pay big cash and big term is probably quite a bit smaller … but still substantial.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Precisely! —> Over the last five seasons Lecavalier has averaged about 59 points in 71 games played per 82 team games, so it surprises me that 29 teams haven’t called to offer him one or two million per season really.

12. formerly known as the hc says:

1. Vinny La… Will not sign in any city for peanuts just because some fans want him to. He will take the best combination of cash, term, opportunity and quality of life. Sorry folks, he will not end up in Canada…fans will expect too much.

2. To all the critics of DEPTH signings: you will not fill your minor leagues and ‘bottom 6′ with top 6 players (and stay under the cap no less).

13. Adam says:

I cannot for the life of me understand the wailing and gnashing of teeth that comes every time the Habs announce a depth signing like Blunden or Drewiske. Here’s a news flash: there are no Crosbys toiling away in Hamilton waiting for call-up duty when injuries happen.

• Habfan17 says:

I don’t get it either, we want players that can fill in then complain when MB signs them. It is cheaper than signing many of the UFA’s and they know these players. Just like when they signed Prust, many were up in arms! Too much money, too many years, and now they wouldn’t trade him

Habfan17

• formerly known as the hc says:

Some people just don’t get it. They expect the team to go for the homrun signing and trade, then give up on them the second things get tough, give up on prospects, then complain there is no depth, etc. This team has acted like its fans for 20 yrs, and no cup to show for it. This is not a coincidence folks. Let management do their job and BUILD a team.

• Bill says:

Some people complain about everything.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• johnnylarue says:

I complained about Drewiske because I think he’s not good enough to fill in at the NHL level, and I would have preferred to see MB roll the dice on a new player altogether rather than simply maintaining mediocrity. (Note: I’m keeping an open mind and hoping Whiskey proves me wrong next season.) I was also put off by the fact that it was a one-way contract, though apparently this isn’t a huge deal under the new CBA.

As for Blunden? I’m all for him! He deserves a shot. Good skater, and a proven ability to score a dirty goal every now and again. No complaints.

See? I’m not just a compulsive whiner, I promise.

14. JUST ME says:

When i read that Blunden has been signed and that White got an offer , i understand that D.D. or Plek or anyone else are not going anywhere soon. Those moves from Bergevin today confirms that there will not be any big moves on the roster before the end of the season . Maybe then we will let go a veteran or two to help another team but nothing much from here to then.

Not that M.B. will not get help somewhere or make a trade but i think he will take the season to give time for the youngsters to grow a bit and gain experience either in Hamilton or with the Habs.

• pmaraw says:

making a qualifying offer and signing a guy to a 2-way contract means MB isn’t gonna do anything else? I don’t know how that equation adds up…. but okay :o

• JUST ME says:

Never wrote he was not making any moves but signing a carreer AHLer and offering a deal to a guy that is not necessarly on top of the food chain means that the other ones are pretty safe and mostly that there is still lots of work to be done before Bergevin figures out who to keep or not. I am sure that he wants to figure out (as we do) if his team is a 2nd place in the conference squad or a 28 th in the league group. It is somewhere in between and although we would like last years team to be the one ,we know that there is still something missing to go further. So it`s o.k. by me if he takes his time to let the young kids grow and concentrates on the upcoming draft.

• pmaraw says:

I don’t think it means that anyone is safe just because you fill 2 4th line spots on the roster/depth chart.

• Habfan17 says:

Yes, I am still not getting the connection. I would think that if Anaheim said they would Take Pleks and Gorges for Ryan, MB would do it as it improves the team for many years with a piece they don’t currently have. This is just an example of the type of trade that may just happen. I don;t see this as meaning anything more than MB and his staff feel these players are better options than anything available on the UFA market and as potential “unprotected” players
          that must be made available after training camp.

Habfan17

• florida habs says:

how do you understand that from insignificant signings of white/blunden?

• formerly known as the hc says:

We don’t know what management is looking at in regards to trying to make trades. For a trade to happen, your partner needs to want what you are offering for that player or players.

15. Bripro says:

Trade Plekanec rumours are always disturbing for me.
    Either I’ve always over-estimated him, or others under-estimated him.
    I just think that it’ll be hard to replace an all-around good forward with great defensive skills.
    Here’s hoping MB is looking at other alternatives.
    And I support those who don’t think that Vinny’s the solution.
    Although, we could do worse.

• Ozmodiar says:

“Either I’ve always over-estimated him, or others under-estimated him.

This one.

wait for it…

• neumann103 says:

Plekanec gets mentioned because he has value.
      Or because people are silly
      But trading him would leave a big hole.

The only circumstance in which trading him makes sense is if you are getting back an elite offensive player AND you think eller is ready to be Plekanec

“Et le but!”

• Habfan17 says:

My take is he is mentioned because he does have value, he has peaked and will not get any better, the Habs now have depth at centre, Eller has already achieved more at his age than Pleks did at the same age, and Eller has not peaked. In order to get a player of value you have to give one. Why trade the younger guys who will be the core and will be around when they are competitive every season and can seriously challenge for the cup. I for one don’t think he would leave that big a hole.

Habfan17

• florida habs says:

I think it might be that because the value he has today would be high, for a 3rd line center on a cup contender ( does a lot of things good but not great, can step up for injured players). We could get a piece that better aligns with future plans once we get some of the kids up to speed. If we hold on to him, in a couple of years, the value would be greatly diminished.

• Timo says:

My beef with Plekanec is that he is a constant playoffs no show. As a number 1 or 2 center his contribution should be a lot greater that it’s been since… well… since I can remember. He is a good first 60 games of a season type player but after that he is a big meh. He sports great turtlenecks though, can’t deny that.

16. thebonscott says:

nothing wrong with blunden on fourth line, cheaper than moen and plays harder.

GET BIGGER, GET TOUGHER, GET EVEN.

17. HabFab says:

The Hockey Writers does a detailed analysis of Potential Hab picks;

18. pmaraw says:

anyone else hear that habs made a qualifying offer to Ryan White today?

19. frontenac1 says:

Yes!!! Sweet Hands Blunden Day! That calls for a Single Malt!

20. Bripro says:

NHL Scout survey:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 1m
    Jonathan Drouin was runaway leader in 3 categories: best puckhandler, best playmaker, best hockey sense. And it wasn’t close in any of them.

21. Bripro says:

If ever I decided to move the another NHL-hoasting city, Chicago would have to be it. Not only is it beautiful, but their organizations demonstrate the meaning of class!

22. frontenac1 says:

Atta Boy Dunboyne! Well done amigo!

23. Mattyleg says:

We’ve signed Mike Blunden.
    By most posters’ rationale, the cup is ours.
    Why?
    He’s 6’3″, and 209 lbs.
    This translates to AMAZING for many of my HI/O friends.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

24. durocher says:

According to the Ottawa Sun, MB may be shopping Pleks:

“Why do we keep hearing Habs GM Marc Bergevin has been sniffing around to see what he can get for Tomas Plekanec on the market? He has a no-trade clause and three years at a cap hit of $5 million per-season …”

• johnnylarue says:

Hey, if MB has someone better lined up, I’m all for it… But I highly doubt that’s the case.

• Bill says:

Bruce Garrioch man … he’s basically Eklund. Worst rumour-monger in the mainstream media, has no problem just making stuff up.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Whatever says:

Should be noted that according to Capgeek, Plekanec has a modified NTC. Not a full NTC. Don’t know what the conditions are.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

“According to the Ottawa Sun…”

Nothing I’ll every need to know will follow that phrase. : )

• alfieturcotte says:

The player MB needs to shop around is Price.

• The Jackal says:

Maybe he will trade Price for Quick, and then Quick will do poorly behind our D, and then they will call for Quick to be traded for Rask, and then Rask will come here and look ordinary…. and on and on it goes

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Jackal! You edited your “wat”!
          Got you into deep doo-doo before, as I recall!

• pmaraw says:

I just don’t see it playing out like that. The one tangible those goalies have that we haven’t seen in Price is a high compete level, or desire to win at all costs. Didn’t one of our D just win the Norris???

Edit: Don’t get me wrong, I like Price, I want to see him succeed. However I’m having a very hard time remembering the last game he stole and he certainly hasn’t made any highlight reel saves lately.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Maybe compete level is intangible rather than tangible, so that arguing Price doesn’t have it is speculative (which of course we all do here all the time!). But from speculation to trade talk is a big step.

I ask myself, who sucked more in this short season: our D or our no. 1 goalie? No contest. In that context, Price didn’t suck at all.

• pmaraw says:

ya, it’s pure speculation and seeing is believing right? I’m not calling for a trade in nets, more so I want Price to back up what he says and what he says he’s worth. If they did trade Price I wouldn’t be bothered as much as if they traded Max, but I don’t see either happening.

As for the Defence sucking. I’ll say this and this alone, it must be very difficult for them to play Defence, when any shot from anywhere has a chance to go in the net.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Also hard to stop shots when your D can’t shift anyone from in front, loses the battles in the corners, and waits to see what happens when the puck is passed around at the blue-line!

• pmaraw says:

ya, that sounds like a very difficult perimeter offence to try and defend against, loose pucks in the corners, shots from the blue line. I will agree with the net clearing bit, but that only seemed to be a problem after Emelin went down.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Me, I’d prefer D to attack the blueline more. The less they do that, and the less they win the corners, the more play-mkaing, opportunities and shots the other team has, and the mroe fatigued the D. But I only coach basketball!

• pmaraw says:

I would prefer the wingers to cover the point personally, unless it’s a transition play entering our zone, in which P.K. or Emelin usually step up.

Ok ok ok!
            So we answer my question — which sucked more? — differently!
            And you lied! You said “I’ll say this and this alone.” Alone except for shooting me down for 17 paras!

• twilighthours says:

yawn.

25. johnnylarue says:

OT, here’s an interesting WTF story from the CBC today:

So, someone sets fire to a house, killing a tenant inside, on the same day the elderly owner of said house is killed by a bus.

Is this the news or the plot of some creepy Japanese/Korean horror movie?

26. Dunboyne Mike says:

SO many threads today!

HF72 — loved the statistician joke.

Timo — I replied your solution to what a distinct society needs.

Plenty of other good stuff.

27. Dunboyne Mike says:

Any chance PK and Letang are on their cells to each other, having a laugh?

28. The Jackal says:

MT still coach?

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• EL_PRESEDENTE says:

We need JM back

———————————————————-
      “Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the former.”- Albert Einstien

• Murray Wilson Hair says:

A little respect please! It’s The Count.

• johnnylarue says:

“Ten! Ten tubes of Brylcreem!! Ah ah ah!”

• Dunboyne Mike says:

It’s a misnomer! The Count SMILED while he worked!

Anyway, I always preferred the guy at the top of the stairs with the “Ten Apple and Cinnamon Bessarabian CREAM PIES”….

• johnnylarue says:

My older brother, the perennial doughy kid/candy fiend, used to cry when he saw all those pies hit the floor.

I guess you could say that guy taught him how to cope with “senseless tragedy” as much as it taught him how to count.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Never thought of that. If I learnt that too, it’s very, very deeply embedded!

• GrimJim says:

Channeling your inner Timo?

29. habs001 says:

Money for charity? or cigarettes too expensive for Guy,,,lol

30. frontenac1 says:

@dunboyne. Agreed amigo! It would be great to see a European Conference in the NHL. It would also give those Russian Enforcers from the KHL a chance to showcase their talents on the world stage. Saludos!

• johnnylarue says:

Front–it’s not the first thing people think about when they hear the phrase ‘Russian hockey player’, but agreed: they’ve got some nasty SOBs over there! (The guy who broke Emelin’s face comes to mind…)

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Presumably the KHL considers the NHL the paradigm for hockey leagues and therefore has wet dreams over UFC and roller derby.

31. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Letang’s issue is with the NMC. Which is absent from the Penguins’ offer. Un canadien errant had a good post about Letang in a previous article comment stream.

• johnnylarue says:

Ah! Okay, harsh judgment is softening somewhat…

That said, a huge salary can become a de facto NTC when a player is underperforming–see Gomez, Scott or Lecavalier, Vincent, et. al.

• Chris says:

It does sound like this is the sticking point. Letang’s camp seems firm on a NMC, and the Penguins don’t want to give one.

NMC are worth money. If you don’t give one, expect the $$$ amount per year to go up accordingly.

$7 M per season with a full NMC is basically the going rate for a player like Letang when you’re talking his UFA years.

32. Kooch7800 says:

For timo
    CanadiensTalk ‏@HabsTalk11 1h
    Dallas #Stars have interest in David Desharnais, reunite him with Erik Cole there, Draft day will be very interesting. #Habs

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

33. The Jackal says:

Anyone else see Letang turned down an 8 year, 56M deal? Who does this punk think he is? Is he looking for more money? He is good offensively but is not very good in his own end, we all saw how much he helped out the Pens when the Bruins came marching in.

Wherever he signs, he’s gonna take up a lot of cap space, not worth the hit, IMO.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• johnnylarue says:

Crazy as it might sound, he might also just be sick of Pittsburgh…

But I agree–not gonna make too many fans turning down that kind of cash. It’s his right, but it doesn’t exactly paint him in the most flattering light.

That said, I think he just did the Pens a huge favour. They’re in a world o’ crap already having to deal with the Crosby + Malkin + Fleury salary triumvirate. Sinking $7mil/yr into an offense-first D with so much offense already in the lineup could be seen as hefty risk.

I see Letang’s next contract as a buyout-in-the-making.

• Kooch7800 says:

This negotiation has a huge impact on PK’s next deal

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• johnnylarue says:

In that PK can point to Letang’s contract and say, “See? Look at what that guy’s getting paid–and he totally sucks!!”

• Chris says:

Letang totally sucks in the way that Malkin sucks when compared to Toews.

Yes, Subban is a better defender. Letang is, in my opinion, a better offensive player (although Subban has the better shot). I’m not sure that will be true in another couple of years, as Subban’s passing will undoubtedly improve dramatically with experience.

• johnnylarue says:

I hear you, Chris. And I was obviously just kidding around.

But to split hairs, I think Subban has better one-on-one offensive skills compared to Letang–he’s a craftier skater and a better stickhandler when carrying the puck at full speed–and is considerably more physical on D, which arguably makes him a more attractive package overall.

Moreover, I thought his passing improved noticeably this season but you’re right–still not at the Letang/Karlsson level. But I tend to think the best is yet to come with PK.

• Kooch7800 says:

haha

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Chris says:

Letang is simply looking at the market and trying to get what he and his agent feel is market value for a player of his experience, production and talent level.

The contract extension is for Letang’s UFA years. So you’ve got to factor in that those come at a premium when comparing him to similar defencemen. Karlsson’s contract was his first coming off his entry level-deal, and therefore included four RFA years.

Letang signed a fair contract as an RFA: four years at $3.5 M per season. Now he’s looking to cash in.

The Penguins don’t feel he is worth more than $7 M. They’re probably using Crosby, the best player in the game as a benchmark and saying they can’t pay a lesser player more than that. It worked for years with Detroit and Lidstrom’s deal serving as the ceiling for everybody else’s negotiations.

But Letang and his agent have decided to play chicken, confident that they can get more than $7 M per season out of somebody. That is their prerogative. It’s the ugly side of the business that is professional hockey. Players are always trying to get paid.

The $7.8 and $7.5 M contracts signed by Shea Weber and Ryan Suter, respectively, are what are probably serving as the reference point for Letang and his agent. They are almost certainly arguing that those wages are *low* because they were tied to ridiculously long terms. Since Letang can not get the same term, he expects more money. Expect to see the same argument from Subban’s agent next season.

$8 M is going to be the new starting point for these long term deals to superstars for their UFA contracts. The cap is expected to grow after this temporary cut, so the agents are just trying to guess by how much.

• The Jackal says:

True Chris, and Letang does not suck, but he is not in the same league, defensively speaking, as Weber, Suter, and PK. He is very good offensively and would help out any team he is on, but if he is your best defensive guy, then that is a problem. Apparently he wants an NTC and the money is not the issue, which is good to hear.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

34. Dunboyne Mike says:

Hope everyone saw Maritime’s NHL nationalities breakdown, how they’ve become more diverse since Canadians dominated (90%) up to the 70s, and how perhaps this raises the interesting possibility of a world league.

He asked, who would viewers rather watch: Columbus at Phoenix? Or Chicago at Moscow?

In such a league, if it followed that more Europeans stayed home to play for European clubs, leaving North American clubs largely to Canadians and Americans, could I suggest that North American teams would not do well.

As the primary custodian of North American hockey, the NHL has eroded the predominance of skill in its drive to profitability via the emulation of UFC and roller derby.

Teams from the countries that still put a premium on skill — from novice upwards — would hand us our buttocks on a plate.

• johnnylarue says:

I guess it would all depend on the consensus rulebook though, wouldn’t it?

Very much so.
        I was hoping the current custodians of the rulebook would have nothing to do with it.

• johnnylarue says:

I’m in your camp, in any case. With the amount of skill and conditioning prevalent in the game today, it would be great to see it in all its glory on a bigger ice surface and with less of the rollerderby element.

There’s no scientific basis for this observation, but it’s almost like Europeans are just happy to see goals at a pro sporting event, given how few are scored at soccer games by comparison. Whereas in the US, fans used to watching basketball, football, and baseball are used to higher scores and therefore ostensibly crave “more action” from hockey–hence, fighting.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

It would be interesting to see data about crossover between hockey and soccer (football) fans in Europe. I’m guessing — also without scientific basis — that it would be little. Soccer culture — tolerant of low and no scoring, elevating draws to triumphs, tolerant of extraordinary “embellishment” — is quintessentially different from the demands and culture of hockey, whether here or there.

• Chris says:

Mike: I don’t honestly such a division becoming reality.

The KHL will actively fight any efforts of the NHL to expand into Russia.

More troubling, any attempts to situate teams in European Union countries is likely to require some dramatic reworking of NHL rules. Like no entry draft or restricted free agency.

The Bosman Ruling basically freed all players to be unrestricted free agents at the expiry of any contract. Imagine the competitive disadvantage to European teams if anybody can sign their players, but the North American teams can protect player rights until age 27.

If the NHL is serious about wanting to move into Europe, wholesale (and long overdue, in my opinion) changes to the way the league operates will be necessary.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I wouldn’t doubt any of that Chris. I just liked the idea — which is one with more realistic prospects than the NFL’s efforts in that regard.

Presumably the KHL (also Elite etc?) would have to be involved rather than confronted.

And changes to the way the NHL operates can’t come soon enough as far as I’m concerned!

35. CharlieHodgeFan says:

That trophy is so small it should play forward for the H…. what? Oh. Time for my meds?

Any mention of why this trophy is being sold, is Lafleur himself selling it, or the team? Can we assume money is going to a charity?

37. habstrinifan says:

This post is depressing!

habs001

June 28, 2013 at 9:27 am

“If it is true what Brad May said on sportsnet last night that he spoke to VL teammate and it was indicated to him that VL has no intentions of playing in Canada than there is not much the Habs can do to get him …”

I was on cloud nine with hopes for last 24 hrs. Why would Vinny secretly say this but publicly talk so much about ‘returning’ to Canada and loving Mtl etc. He didn’t have to say anything… just say something like “I’ll do what’s best for my family” and I would be ok.
    This sucks.. notthat he may not want to come here, but how this contrasts with what he said at his press conference. And before you all go shooting the messenger… I think Brad May is honestly reporting what he heard.

Sucks! Makes me want to say to P.K “forget my good request to deal fairly with HABS”… just do your stuff even if it means getting outta Dodge.

• Adam says:

You’re getting depressed over news that is literally fourth hand information?

• 24 Cups says:

Brad May lives in my hometown. He comes from a family of stand-up, straight shooters.

Most players give the party line to reporters. Look at Tiger as a prime example.

Vinny is going to do what’s best for Vinny. It’s just like The Godfather said. I’d do the exact same thing.

Understand you don’t like the news/message from Vinny, but why should he as a result not deal fairly with the Habs? They didn’t do this, Vinny feels this way as a result of media and fan scrutiny if true.

I don’t get how his message results in your views on PK and his future dealings with the club.

CHeers bud.

38. Adam says:

A fantastic essay that inadvertently makes the case for smaller players like Gionta, but especially a firebrand like Gallagher.

39. wjc says:

Anyone interested in a complete set of hockey cards, shrink wrapped from 1993, offers will be considered.

wjc

40. Sportfan says:

Blunden was resigned for one year

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

41. commandant says:

Daniel F. Alfredsson returns

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

42. Chris says:

32 years ago today, my vote for the greatest Canadian, Terry Fox, lost his battle with cancer just shy of his 23rd birthday.

I very vaguely remember being taken out onto the roadside of Highway 7 in Madoc, Ontario, to see Terry Fox run by. With all the talk of role models, it is important to remember that Canada has its own homegrown hero who endeavoured to accomplish the impossible.

Fox did not succeed in running from coast to coast, but his Marathon of Hope is perhaps one of the greatest successes in Canadian history. Most Canadians are familiar with the enduring success of the Terry Fox Run, but did you know that over 2.2 million Cubans took part in the Terry Fox Run in 2007?

Terry Fox Runs, fueled by expat Canadians and people inspired by Fox’s courage, are now run all over the world and have raised over $600 M dollars. What an incredible legacy!

• habstrinifan says:

TRUE TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

An important message, and truly a person worthy of “Hero” status indeed Chris.

I remember living in Manitoba, so hoping he would make it to our part of the country. I know what you mean when you say he didn’t succeed in running coast to coast, but part of me believes the message came across even stronger because he wasn’t able to complete the journey he set out on.

He is a world gold standard of a human being.

• Old Bald Bird says:

The monument at TBay is quite poignant.

• Bripro says:

Either I was oblivious at the time, or the local media coverage was poor, but by the time I heard of his courageous cross-countrt journey through Montreal in early June, 1980, he was already celebrating on Canada Day (Note: My birthday :) ) in Ottawa.
      So I never had the chance to see his courage in person.
      But you’re right Chris, he is one of this country’s true heros throughout our history.

• Chris says:

Terry Fox was fantastically disappointed with his reception in Quebec. Not only were the turnouts abysmal and the media coverage non-existent, but the drivers were exceptionally aggressive (probably because they didn’t know what was going on). The Marathon of Hope really picked up steam when it hit Ottawa and just grew and grew.

Quebec remains a bit slow at embracing the Terry Fox Run, perhaps because they have their own charitable endeavours and traditions. There are only 38 Terry Fox Runs scheduled in Quebec on the Terry Fox Foundation website, versus 225 in Ontario, 21 in tiny P.E.I. or 64 in Saskatchewan.

Time to step up, friends in Quebec!

• Bripro says:

The Terry Fox Run is a very big thing in Montreal. The turn out every year is always large and very encouraging.
          Remember that most of the larger english regions are in the Montreal area, and as opposed to holding their own, most participate in this one instead.
          As for french Quebecers (mostly … although a bit of a generalization), they do in fact support more local causes.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

(July 1 – my daughter, too. SO close to being named John A MacDonald! Only baby in the Dublin maternity hospital wearing a maple leaf! Her cousin was born three days later — what would I have done??)

Amen.

• alfieturcotte says:

Amen. A true and brave hero.

RIP Terry.

• Rugger says:

Don’t think this got much press here in the states, but in 79-80 I was graduating UVM, getting married, moving to TX and having our first child so I may have completely missed it. Just looked him up on Wiki, what an incredably caring human being! Thanks for enlightening me.

43. Whatever says: