Follow Habs vs. Panthers with HIO’s new Play-by-Play feature

We launched a new Play-by-Play feature on HIO during the Canadiens’ 4-3 shootout win over the Tampa Bay Lightning Tuesday night.

Unfortunately, we had some technical glitches early on, but our computer technicians managed to work out the kinks during the game.

The Play-by-Play feature will be available again for Thursday’s game against the Florida Panthers – hopefully without any more technical glitches. The play-by-play feature keeps live track of shots, goals, hits, power plays, shots on goal, takeaways, faceoffs won, hits, power plays, giveaways, penalty minutes and saves.

You can try it out during Thursday’s game, which starts at 7:30 p.m., while also following Mike Boone’s live blog and posting your own comments on the game.

Let us know what you think about the Play-by-Play feature with your comments on the site or by emailing sports editor Stu Cowan at scowan@montrealgazette.com

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

1. fastfreddy says:

In my opinion, I’d keep Eller over Desharnais if a choice had to be made with regards to keeping one or the other. Lars is bigger and I feel, more athletic/mobile than DD. I don’t hate DD, I just don’t see anything great about him that makes him better than Eller.

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

• neumann103 says:

Eller is
      Bigger
      Faster
      Younger
      a better puck possession player
      has a better harder shot with a quick release
      a MUCH better defensive player
      a MUCH better penalty killer
      is more versatile and could conceivably fill a larger number of roles (1st line,2nd line, 3rd line,Shutdown) altough he really needs to stay at Center

Desharnais is
      cheaper currently (although probably not for next season)
      better at threading offensive zone passes through traffic to his linemates.
      probably more able to play the wing, but has less versatility in terms of role at Center (eg you can’t expect him to be your shutdown 3rd liner or 4th liner)

I think they would probably be about equal on the Powerplay if Eller ever got the minutes and linemates to demonstrate. Both have excellent vision on ice, but while that is broadly recognized with Desharnais, Eller seems to get undeserved flak.

“Et le but!”

2. athanor says:

Is there a way for us to interrupt the 10-second (or so) refresh?

Last game, I was trying to scroll down to check on something someone had said and kept getting jerked back up to the top of the comments because I couldn’t get where I wanted to go fast enough.

And I trust the labelling on power plays will be fixed tonight.

3. Mattyleg says:

I wrote some feedback on Tuesday, but I’ll repost here.
    I’m not a fan of the new service for a couple of reasons:

1) I am able to watch the game, so I don’t need to see what’s happening ‘virtually’.

2) I’m not much interested in statistics, so it doesn’t interest me.

Finally, it’s probably just about ironing out glitches, but the replying didn’t work very well, and my sig wasn’t appearing.

Cool idea for those who like that sort of thing, but not for me.

Thanks!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

4. Mats Naslund says:

Just out of interest, does anyone know where the data for this feature comes from? Is it fed from nhl.com? Its a cool idea.

5. frontenac1 says:

@Timo. Yeah,that’s her.He said she invited him down to some island. He wouldnt sh#t us about that,would he?

6. commandant says:

Haven’t been here yet today, but I have to say I really like the trade.

Desjardins wasn’t getting it done in Hamilton, and Tokarski can be the young prospect goalie we can develop to backup Price next year.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

7. HabFanSince72 says:

When playoff hero Jaroslav Halak was traded to St. Louis for Lars Eller most of us thought “Huh who?” or “Really? Is that all we got?”.

No one could have predicted that only two and a half years and all of 26 NHL goals later the young man would be at the nexus of a group psychosis reminiscent in its intensity (if not its extent) of Biebermania.

Marc Bergevin’s job – his only job to hear the Ellermaniacs tell it – is the proper watering and tending of the shy Danish flower.

Michel Therrien’s every pronouncement, his every tap on a shoulder, his every lifting of the eyebrows, is scanned with the microscopic focus of those old cold war Kremlin watchers for signs and portents of the future of the most elusive Dane since the days of Elsinore.

And woe befall any player who takes ice time away from our Lars. That player will wish he was just some schmuck who won a Grammy ahead of Justin Bieber only to see his twitter feed littered with death threats.

That was an enjoyable read, regardless of where one stands on the Eller vs Desharnais debate. Bravo HF72!

• Loonie says:

Very sorry that he’s developing into a top six forward and that people would enjoy watching him get the opportunity that he has now “earned”.

I’m sure now that he’s produced offense on the fourth line that there will magically be different criteria today on what merits a promotion though.

He’s playing better in all facets of the game than Cole, Desharnais, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Pacioretty and Bourque and has been for the majority of this young season.

He also happens to be a skilled first round pick. When players of his skill set show flashes of excellent play and get on a consistent roll, smart coaches and executives don’t leave them on the fourth line for the sake of maintaining the chemistry they’ve developed with two guys who may as well be afterthoughts.

• boing007 says:

I would keep Eller on the fourth line just a bit longer until his playing with confidence becomes almost second nature.

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• habsfan0 says:

What in tarnation is a “Justin Bieber”??

• Wintercount says:

lovely prose there, soixante-douze!

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Bravo, you have summed up the tea leaf reading here better than I have read in a some score and beyond.

I only hope that those pro and con of the Eller divide consider this one nugget from Elliot Friedman, quoting Bergevin”

“when I got here, the player most of the other teams were inquiring about what my plan were for him was Lars Eller – I thought, well I better find out what I have here”

Sounds to me like a lot of other teams have interest which should tell you a lot about his potential regardless of whether he is being asked to shut down other teams stars (Sedin/Toews) or score.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• dano58 says:

You my friend do not realize that this kid has talent and it is being wasted because his last name is not french and he was not a 1st round draft pick of our team(he was 1st round in St.Louis). Not saying he is the second coming or anything but how much more time do we give DD? I like DD but lets face it he is undersized for a center and most teams has figured out how to neutralize his effect on a game. Move him to a wing and give Eller consistent line mates on the 2nd or 3rd line as he is a 2 way player unlike DD and Cole who are one dimensional players only. He could be a poor mans Carbino albeit to a lesser extent but a great 3rd line center and a spare if injury to a second but not really ready yet. He is only 23 after all.

GO HABS GO!!!

“Opinions are like assholes and everybody has one.”
      Hopefully the Habs brass only takes the best ones!

• Chris says:

What else are we going to talk about?

This team has precious few legitimate NHL prospects currently playing: Carey Price, P.K. Subban, Lars Eller, Max Pacioretty, Alex Galchenyuk and Brendan Gallagher.

Price is established. Subban, despite his warts, is basically established. Pacioretty is going through a tough spell, but his spot is pretty much guaranteed. The sky is the limit for Galchenyuk, who will be this team’s best player within two years.

So that leaves Gallagher and Eller as guys who we can debate and discuss ad nauseum, the same way we have done with countless youngsters before (Price, Halak, O’Byrne, Lapierre, S. Kostitsyn, and Latendresse; Komisarek, Higgins, Perezhogin, Chipchura and A. Kostitsyn; Hossa, Markov, Chouinard, Hainsey, Ribeiro and Ward; etc.).

It is perfectly fair to question decisions of the coaches or management when it comes to particular players. If it weren’t, sites like this would cease to exist.

Controversies and disagreements are the bread and butter of online discussion forums.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Thank you!

I also wonder why we must coddle Lars and give him these favourable conditions to develop in, and if we don’t we’re ruining him. Isn’t appropriate for a young player to work his way up the depth chart?

If he keeps playing like he has the last few games, and if David Desharnais can’t recapture the magic from last season, then inevitably Lars will get more and more icetime, along with special teams minutes, offensive-zone faceoffs, etc. But he has to keep working and unseat those who are above him on the depth chart. Easy. Not that controversial.

8. ed says:

hey Stu, why is it when I choose to “log out” I remain “logged in”?

do advertisers pay you for how long you keep posters logged in??

• Stu Cowan says:

We’re aware that it is a problem but only with a few people for some reason … our tech people tell me they have been working on it.

• Ian Cobb says:

It only happens to people that have rubbed against a Leafs sweater in the past week or so.!!

• Timo says:

Hey Ian, got an birthday age joke for you (as promised) :)

“An old man is seeing his doctor for an all over checkup.
          After examining his chest, arms, legs etc the doctor says “OK,
          Mr. Cobb, I had better check your sexual equipment.” Mr. Cobb sticks out his tongue and holds up a finger.”

• habsfan0 says:

At Ian’s age, he likes to be in bed with 2 women at the same time.
            That way,in case he falls asleep, they’ll have someone to talk to.

• Bripro says:

Never mind Ian’s kinkiness.
            He sent me an email asking me to squeeze the Charmin for him.
            MY Charmin.
            (Omitted…. I was happy to). ;)

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

It happens intermittently to me as well. It goes away when I clear my history in the browser.

9. NLhabsfan says:

Nice idea… Like it….Different that’s for sure.

10. Bripro says:

A little enlightenment for he who said the team should have chosen Grigorenko instead of our Chucky!
    Galchenyuk is +6, the highest on the team.
    And what many didn’t notice (or didn’t care to mention) was that on Gallagher’s last goal (against Buffalo), if Chucky doesn’t skate across to block Miller’s view, as square as he was to the play, that would not have been a goal.
    The kid – remember he’s still only 19 …just – will be a phenom.
    A little patience.

11. Ozmodiar says:

I was reading comments in the last thread about Eller not being part of the long-term plans because he’s behind Galchenyuk and Pleks on the depth chart.

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves here. :roll:

Eller’s on a cheap 2 year contract. When it’s done he’ll still be an RFA. At that point, the Habs will hold his rights and might try to negotiate another 2 year contract that would end when Pleks’ contract is up. With a new contract in hand, Eller can take over the 2 spot, and Pleks can sign a cheaper contract to play a 3rd line role…similar to what Koivu did with Anaheim.

If Eller progresses faster than that timeline, they can always trade Pleks for a cheaper 3rd line C.

MB wants strength down the middle, and he wants to build with youth. They aren’t going to get rid of Eller because there’s someone better who’s 7 years older.

12. Loonie says:

Recommendations for the Play by Play interface…..

1. A Subbanator siren every time he contributes a point or takes a penalty.

2. A Therrien caricature that sees the coach rest his arm on his bent knee while he scowls at the officials when anyone else is called for a penalty.

3. The Price Is Right theme song plays every time our goaltender clears the puck by himself on the penalty kill.

4. The Chucky laugh plays with every Galchenyuk point scored.

Can’t think of a fifth.

13. frontenac1 says:

I still think Boone is monkeying around with that showgirl.

14. H.Upmann says:

Well.. Guess Cedric is going from Habs north to Habs south lol

15. jedimyrmidon says:

Regarding Eller from the previous thread, if Therrien keeps using him as a 4th line center instead of allowing him to develop into a Top 6 center then I could see Eller leaving – for nothing – to a team like the Leafs that would gladly take a young center with size and skill.

16. Sportfan says:

So is that Bergevins first trade with the team?

17. H.Upmann says:

Play by Play is gangster. Nice moves HIO. Nice moves.

18. bwoar says:

Great idea. You could never replace Mike Boone with a machine, but this will help between posts. Let’s hope it works on iOS devices.

“thoroughbred”

I was hoping Tokarski trade would reignite Price-Halak debate. Damn.

• bwoar says:

I think with Tokarski in the fold it’d be safe to trade Price & Eller to St. Louis for Halak & Backes & a pound of bacon. How about that?

“thoroughbred”

20. AngryHabsFan says:

I find myself checking my computer too much during games and missing the small details of the game that are important. Hopefully this will be able to bring everything together into one hub. Does it have twitter integration?

Lets hope the Hamsters were well fed today.

Does this mean the end of the Boodaj era?
    How is Tokarski’s hair?

23. habsfan0 says:

Agreed. Habs have a long history of goalies with a good,full head of hair. Price,Theodore..The goaltending position for the Canadiens is not for those who are hirsutely challenged.

24. BJ says:

Fuller than Gump Worsley’s.

This is the best picture I could find of Tokarski’s hair, not sure it is long enough to get excited about .

It does not look silky smooth.