Flyers bury Penguins in one for the ages

Marc-André Fleury

Penguins goalie Marc-André Fleury sits in his crease, one of eight pucks that got past him sitting nearby.
Justin K. Aller, NHLI via Getty Images

So of course you had the Philadelphia Flyers roaring from behind – again – and incredibly beating the Penguins in Pittsburgh 8-5 (!) on Friday the 13th. Right?

The Penguins are now down 2-0 and clearly on the ropes heading the Flyers’ raucous barn for Sunday afternoon’s Game 3.

Elsewhere Friday: Detroit evened their series with Nashville, hanging on for a 3-2 victory, while the New Jersey Devils opened in Sunrise, Fla., vs the Florida Panthers, also winning 3-2.

Out in Vancouver, the Daniel Sedin-less 2010-11 Stanley Cup-finalist Canucks stumbled against the Los Angeles Kings, losing to their visitors 4-2. L.A. now holds a 2-0 lead in that series, which returns to Tinseltown.

1. The Cat says:

Man, some of them games were pretty rough last night. I bet there’ll be tons of penalties the next couple of days.

2. Lizardking89 says:

This has been a great series, awesome hockey.

3. Clay says:

@ HabinBurlington:
    If you’re still here, try this link again, and click on link #2 (Castalba) – that’s the one I’m watching here.

4. Lizardking89 says:

Chicago wins in OT just a hunch

Chicago ties with 5 secs left. Un-freaking-real.

6. Clay says:

Wow! The Hawks/Coyotes game…really good game!

7. pmaraw says:

PrimeTime can’t help but reply to posts calling him out. He needs to feel important cuz this is his only medium to do so…….hiding in his hole with access to a blog site spewing his crap. I’m ashamed that I actually recognized his attempt to be significant in his pathetic little man world. What a waste of my tax money supporting wanna-be something losers!

8. Stooof says:

Heres the move,

Trade Subban, webber, a 2nd rounder for edmonton first.
    Pick Yakupov, and Murray with the 3rd.

Good to go.

Thank you.

9. Bill says:

@twillighthours

Oh hey. Sorry missed this. Yeah, there’s been a LOT of fighting this year so far! I would say two things about it:

1) It’s early and I think it will fade quickly. That’s based on past history.

2) It’s entirely warranted. Shanahan hasn’t been doing his job at all. If the league isn’t going to suspend players for dirty hits, the players will take care of it as best they can.

The hits on Sedin, Zetterberg, Alfredsson, Carlsson, and now Smith are definitely deserving of a confrontation. I just think if the refs and the league handled it properly, it wouldn’t happen and the response wouldn’t be necessary.

How Hagelin stays in the game after that hit on Alfie is beyond me.

Full Breezer 4 Life

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Timo says:

Shanahan wasn’t doing his job during the season, so no reason to suspect he would now. Ottawa-Rags was one nasty game though.

• Duracell3 says:

IDK if you watched the Sharks-Blues game, but it’s clear that San Jose wants to be the Bruins. All the teams clearly know that they can get away with things that are obviously illegal.

Reference Tortarella’s comments after the game, he blamed Alfredsson for not protecting his head, or Prust’s blatant elbow and ensuing non-call, or really a thousand things in that game; teams clearly know that NHL level officiating will be on display in the playoffs and aim to take full advantage.

• Bill says:

Tortorella is the biggest douche-bag coach I can remember. After Hagelin nailed Alfie with the elbow – one of the most obvious deliberate head-shots I’ve seen – he mocked Alfie from the bench.

Sometimes I think the worst thing about fighting in the NHL is that the only guys who never get punched are the coaches. I think Tortorella would STFU if there was any chance of Chris Neil feeding him some knuckles. Which I would pay to watch as a stand-alone PPV event.

Full Breezer 4 Life

This is how TSN’s article about the bruins game today starts: “For two years, Tim Thomas has been one of the best goalies in the world.”

Halak is better than Price.

• L Elle says:

Chocolate ice cream is better than vanilla. ;)

Your not saying you disagree with Timo are you? Could be grounds for dismisal.

• L Elle says:

Cinnamon gum is better than fruit gum is what I’m saying.

Can you plead the 5th in Canada? haha

• Clay says:

OK – I’m with you on the cinnamon gum, but vanilla is clearly superior to chocolate.

• L Elle says:

Ha, no way Clay!

It’s all subjective anyway. ;)

• Timo says:

How are things in Me-Hee-Ko?

Good, good times, sucks not having hab playoff hockey, but hopefully this crap year will somehow reap benefits. Good to get away. Read the Toronto papers, rumours Dallas Eakins heading to Calgary, is that getting big play out your way?

• Timo says:

No idea. I rarely follow the flames, and even less so in the off season. One thing I heard today was that the departed Sutter wanted an overhaul, youth movement, etc, which was not playing well with the upper management. I guess Flames will continue to be a crap team for a while.

Enjoy the rest of your vacation and forget HIO for a while. It’s really not healthy.

12. otter649 says:

So Shaw is probably going to get suspended for the hit on Smith & Lucic got nothing for the hit on Miller – Makes alot sense ?

13. mb says:

So I guess there is no such thing as a quiet room in Phoenix, right?

Mike Smith is hit, laying on the ice for several minutes (or long enough to get the team’s therapist AND doctor on the ice), and yet they don’t even bother to make sure he’s really fine before letting him play the rest of the game.

Brilliant. Next thing you know, Smith will suffer an “upper body injury”.

• L Elle says:

I totally agree with you. Actually, every game I’ve been watching, had at least 1 elbow to the head, with no one going to the quiet room after.

Winning at all cost BS.

• mb says:

Well, I might sound alarmist, but the way things have been handled (or mishandled) by the league lately… The more I see and the more I think it’s gonna take a very serious injury to actually see changes in the NHL’s policies.

And that’s just sad.

• L Elle says:

Was it really always this bad? As a kid, I never noticed the dirty and cheap hits.

But now, that’s all I see. Either it’s always been this way, or it’s gotten worse, what with the conditioning and hard equipment of the players.

Or maybe it’s just me getting soft. heh

• mb says:

I don’t know if it’s always been this way or if it’s gotten worse, but it just seems like the past few years had their load of brain injuries mostly due to bad hits and BS plays.

Maybe it’s just because I notice it more than before, but in any case, whether it’s been like that forever or only lately, I think it’s unacceptable that they seem to care more about money and records than about the players’ safety.

• L Elle says:

Winning at all costs mb. I think the owners, GMs and especially the coaches tell the players to go “hard on the opponent”.

All those deaths last summer meant nothing, I guess.

What’s a player to do? They will do anything to keep their place on the team. It’s, as you said, sad.

• mb says:

You’re right, that’s why I blame the league more than I do the players themselves. And that “go hard on the opponent” philosophy just makes it seem like players have no respect for each other.

But anyway, like I said, maybe it’s just me. I don’t like that my favorite sport appears to be degenerating.

• Clay says:

There were always dirty hits, but now players are bigger, stronger, faster, and wear much better armor which can be used as a weapon. That’s why it’s worse now..

14. The Dude says:

Wow ..some things never change! Slamming Clay and HH for their most accurate observations whilst those who do the slamming BACKED THE WORST CANADIENS TEAM EVER. Enjoy the play-golfs ,lol!

15. PrimeTime says:

HH can’t help but reply to posts calling him out. He needs to feel important cuz this is his only medium to do so…….hiding in his hole with access to a blog site spewing his crap. I’m ashamed that I actually recognized his attempt to be significant in his pathetic little man world. What a waste of my tax money supporting wanna-be something losers!

Anybody got a link for Chicago Phoenix game?

17. slapshot777 says:

Clay, you may think your over it but your one of the biggest winner here when it comes to your two cents. If there is any children here you get the crying towel. I think you should get your diaper changed and it. Is making you cranky.

• Clay says:

Yes – because personal insults make YOUR argument so much stronger. :roll:

18. slapshot777 says:

Suspensions, have got to be handled better by Shanahan as well. If he can’t handle it put someone else in his place and if can’t then replace him. Eventually you will find someone who can come to a more level minded decision making person who will make more rational decisions.

Shanahan, seems to be working like a puppet on a string being told what to do by a select few owners.

If the NHL can’t police themselves internally, then have an independent guy or firm that will be funded by the league to police it for them.

They get no interference from the owners and the decision is final.
    Looking at what has happened so far in the playoffs is so inconsistent you don’t know what is going to be called and there lies the problem with both the players and the teams.

One night a play is deemed suspendable and the next night that very same play is okay. It’s got to be way better than that.

• otter649 says:

Shanahan has to answer to NHLPA – GMs. Shanny started off good but when there was no suspension for the hit of Malone on Campolni (sp) because of a body position change etc that was the beginning of no suspensions & lowered game suspensions & no fines etc. – Very Colin Campbell/Mike Murphy like……

19. jols101 says:

Wow, where did that come from? PrimeTime, did HH sneak into your home and piss in you’re last box of Fruit Loops? All this anger; it’s got to be something like that…

20. twilighthours says:

Not sure if Kirk-Muller-Bill is lurking around, but I’m wondering if he has any comment on the fact that fighting hasn’t gone away (so far) in this year’s playoffs.

• jols101 says:

Bruins won the cup last year. They proved it works; other teams are feeding of the B’s success. A pacifist will come up with many reasons why fighting is ruining the NHL but if it gets you a Stanely Cup, you better believe other teams will run with it …

• twilighthours says:

I am not picking a fight with bill, and I don’t think he is a softie. Just curious about his opinion. But yes, recent history suggests tougher teams have an advantage.

• jols101 says:

I did’nt suggest you were piking a fight. I enjoy Bill’s posts as well. He has great insight on many topics. I just think his stance on fighting is about 20 years premature. Fighting is still a very important part of the game and while our Habs have made some improvements they still need at least one Dman who will drop the gloves first and ask questions later. Maybe Bill is just ahead of his time, fighting will eventually get phased out of the game, just not yet…

• Bill says:

1) It’s early and I think it will fade quickly. That’s based on past history.

How Hagelin stays in the game after that hit on Alfie is beyond me.

Full Breezer 4 Life

21. Clay says:

Child – please. I want my team to win. That’s all. I could care less if the goalie is from Tegucigalpa or Ashgabat. I don’t care what colour or ethnicity he is. I just care that he – and thus the TEAM wins.

You may also notice – if you look closely – that I never instigate the Halak debate. I’ve gotten over it. I simply respond to the host of immature children here (like yourself) who continue to perpetuate the Halak BS.
    Now run along, and try to behave.

22. slapshot777 says:

One major area that should be addressed in the upcoming CBA by the players, is having the league do a better job of preparing their officials for game management.

Also have some kind of point system with rewards for good officiating and loss of games for mediocre to bad officiating.

This will make the officials by their own accord want to do better. More games an official gets put in a bonus clause where they get extra money for reaching a certain amount of games officiated.

Also if an official gets a certain amount of penalty points then he gets sent to the AHL like a player would to work on his game.

Officials should also be signing two way contracts where they get the big money for NHL games and second tier money for in the AHL.

I guarantee that any officials who work the games same with linesmen would work their arses off to make sure that they got the bonus points.

23. twilighthours says:

The refs in game one are to blame for what transpired tonight in ott/nyr game two. If they had set a tone – particularly on the shameful mugging of Karlsson when Boyle marchanded him and still managed to draw coincidentals – two nights ago, that foolishness with carkner would never have happened.

Good for Ottawa for doing what needed to be done.

And this halak/price stuff sure has gotten old.

• ProHabs says:

“Good for Ottawa for doing what needed to be done”. So true. The difference between Montreal and Ottawa (and many other playoff teams in the NHL) is that if Boyle had done that to Subban in game 1, he would have done it to Subban again in game 2, game 3 and game 4 without any retribution during the series sweep.

• ZepFan2 says:

I think Staubitz would have replied if that happened.

———————————————————————-
        “I got a feeling, a feeling deep inside” – Lennon/McCartney

I’ve got a feeling

• twilighthours says:

Yep. But staubitz isn’t going to cut it. Habs need a tough guy who can play: Thornton, Neil, rupp, there are a few others.

Staubitz seems like a good guy but he just isn’t good enough.

• ProHabs says:

The dummy Gauthier finally started to realize the team needed some toughness (Staubitz) when 3/4 of the season was over. It was obvious to anyone who watched the games the last 3 years that the team needed some. Was Gauthier in Vermont picking berries instead of watching the games. Montreal would get destroyed by a team like St. Louis (and it wouldn’t be because of Halak).

24. slapshot777 says:

Yeah, you will soon see Halak’s agent Allan Walsh calling Elliott something stupid and then having Halak go to his agent and ask for a trade again.

• Clay says:

Why? Halak is being treated with the respect he deserves in St. Louis. BOTH goalies there are playing great, and are being rewarded with lots of playing time (Halak slightly more). That was not the case in Montreal. We all know it, so stop with the historical revision.

• Mark C says:

Halak played in one more game this year than his last year in Montreal. Is that really a lot more playing time?

• Clay says:

Read closely. That’s not what I said. I clearly implied that in Montreal he didn’t get the playing time he DESERVED, when he was clearly playing better than his partner. This is not the case in Saint Louis. Both goalies have earned their playing time there. In Montreal one goalie was clearly playing better, but was underused – to the detriment of the team.

*edit* and when I said “Halak slightly more” I was clearly referring to ‘more than Elliot’.

• twilighthours says:

“clearly implied”?

That’s a nice turn of phrase.

• Mark C says:

Montreal 2009-10
            Player A: 43 games, .924 SV%
            Player B: 39 games, .912 SV%

St. Louis
            Player A: 46 games, .926 SV%
            Player B: 36 games, .940 SV%

Based on the stats Montreal did a much better job in playing the statistically better goalie than St Louis has.

I don’t think there is any validity to your argument.

• Clay says:

Marc C – look at the stats since Christmas, when Halak began to play more. That’s why my argument is valid. Before that time, Elliot was the number one, because he deserved to be. I’m good with that, because a player should earn the playing time.

• twilighthours says:

Then he played in 18/19 playoff games, then his wishes were granted and he was dealt to where he could be a starter.

I don’t see how this was disrespect.

• Clay says:

Yes, it was. Because he was – at the time – the better goalie. But the disrespect came over years, not just a few games.
            All so Gainey could justify picking Price 5th overall. When there was no need to justify it, BTW – just a year or 2 in the AHL would have done wonders. Mismanagement all around here.

25. Mark C says:

Tinordi scored the series winning goal tonight and added an assist. Leblanc, Palushaj, and Geoffrion all with a goal and assist, as the Bulldogs win 5-2.

The Blues have two good goal tenders and don’t any problems playing one over the other. They have a 1a and a 1b and on any given day either goalie can switch roles… with no issues.

That is the crux of the Halak-Price debate. Not who is better, Price or Halak, but how the Habs manage players based on favouritism rather than merit.

27. Clay says:

Way to go Sens!

28. ProHabs says:

As much as I love the Habs, is it ever nice watching some exciting and TOUGH hockey for a change instead of the pansy team the Gainey/Gauthier duo put together. Teams that back each other up like Boston, Ottawa, Rangers, Pens, Philly, St.Louis are a treat to watch.

• alwayssunny says:

The Sens responded as necessary tonight, whether they win or lose. They also traded off Dubinsky for Carkner for the night in the deal. The Habs of the last 7 years would have done nothing but accept the humiliation and it would have been applauded by a large portion of the HIO commenters and the authors. That’s how it has gone down. “We dont need a tough guy, speed and skill”

• ProHabs says:

Yup, no way is Colin Campbell or Shanny going to protect your team. Nice win Sens, and Neil with the winner. As much as many people on here probably hate the guy, he is the type of guy the Habs need sooooooooo bad.

• Aybara says:

The Dubinsky call was BS. Third man in? Kidding me? Carkner sucker punched the Ranger then went to town on him after dropping him with that punch. What are the Rags players supposed to do? Just let one of their players get the snot beat out of him with no retaliation.

You’re right that it was a good trade for the Sens, but I think the refs really dropped the ball giving Dubinsky the game in that situation.

• otter649 says:

Dubinsky was the third man in – In a two man altercation it was the right call by the refs…….

• Aybara says:

Maybe it was a two man altercation. What happened though was a one sided attack where the Ranger was essentially helpless. That isn’t a fight, its a roughing. No second man in rule for a roughing. Just because one of the participants is acting like its a fight doesn’t mean its a fight, the Ranger didn’t even have his gloves off or hands up when he got dropped.

• twilighthours says:

If the refs ruled it was a fight (which they did) then they have no choice to call the 3rd man in.

• Aybara says:

Ya, that’s true. I disagree with the ruling that it was a fight though. How many times have we seen them not call the third man in rule when two guys are going at it. In this case there was no question that Boyle was not fighting and thus there shouldn’t have been a third man in penalty in my opinion.

• alwayssunny says:

I agree with you Aybara but then we get into discretion and that’s a big part of the problem with officiating in the NHL. Yes Dubinsky did what had to be done. But there is a 3′rd man in rule. I think in this case there weren’t “two men in” to begin with – Boyle didn’t look like a willing participant – but by the book you can’t jump in. It turned out a huge advantage to the Senators by trading those players off, and an obvious plus for dressing Carkner. Hopefully now that the pantywaists who run our team and were ok with stars being run over are gone, we will have a couple of guys on the roster who will deal with that.

• Aybara says:

Just another reason why there should be some type of in-game review mechanism for game changing calls. Could make reviews only possible with game misconducts and penalties in the last 5 minutes where the penalty for losing the review is losing your timeout, kinda like football.

Edit: The review would then remove much of the discretion problem to a higher level where its not just the guys on the ice who have no access to replay, thus reducing lapses in the refs judgement.

• alwayssunny says:

Yeah but you are kind of getting in to a moral argument. Dubinsky did the “right” thing – he went and rescued his teammate. But there is a rule. And you pay the consequences for it. I have no problem with what he did and neither do you. But are we going to pass the rules up to a board who decides what he did was “right”? You can’t do that. Rules are rules, Boyle deserved what he got, kudos to Paul Maclean. Good game, should be a good series.

• Aybara says:

I agree with the problem of the morale argument and how it has no place in rule making. But, I think in this situation the refs got the call wrong and shouldn’t have ruled it was a fight, instead a roughing major. This is where the review would help.

• alwayssunny says:

You have a point there that I missed Aybara =) It didn’t look like much of a fight and you cant be third man in if it isnt.

29. ZepFan2 says:

Don Cherry aka Beetlejuice?

———————————————————————-
    “I got a feeling, a feeling deep inside” – Lennon/McCartney

I’ve got a feeling

haha… first rounder, top 6 and a prospect for Iginla. These guys are morons.

• Clay says:

Do they also offer a time machine? Because 10 years ago that was fair.

☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

The St. Louis Back-ups versus the San Jose Chokers is getting interesting.

32. alwayssunny says:

Alfredsson is on the receiving end of a dirty play, a shot to the head, no question and the refs got it right. There is Torterella doing a pantomime of Alfie ducking. What a jerk. I’d love to see him get a shot in the head. These idiots are why guys are dropping like flies in the NHL. I love tough hockey. But this thing of mocking the guy who is on the wrong end of a dirty shot (see Milbury making fun of Crosby because he has had concussions or a million other examples) makes me sick. What a shame the bigmouth idiots are the ones who are presented as the face of hockey in too many cases. It’s embarassing.

• alwayssunny says:

Don Cherry deserves a lot of blame for that whole culture. The phony PSAs “Keep your head up kids, or you’ll get what’s comin to ya”. It’s idiotic beyond words.

33. twilighthours says:

Is this the active thread? Or the Bouchard post?

34. Mike D says:

So apparently Chis Stewart will be a healthy scratch tonight. Looking at Cap Geek, this is the last year of his contract and he’s currently at 2.875mil. Being that he’s an RFA, we’d have to trade for him if we wanted him.

Any thoughts on what it might take to get him?

*Note – I’m not saying he is amazing, and I realize that you can’t have all your wingers be power forwards – you need a couple skill guys or sniper-types. Reason I mention it is that we have three Centers that could use offensively talented wingers, but only have 3.5 such wingers (Bourque being the ‘half’). With CS being a healthy scratch, that might mean he could be more easily had and cost less in terms of the return. Buying low, essentially.*

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

• habs_54321 says:

chris stewart would be an awsome pick up for the habs. we would have to give something in return though his value isn’t that low st louis would need something to make it worth moving him otherwise im sure they’d be content holding on to him at a very reasonable cost due to the poorish year he had because they know he’ll rebound and be an impact player again maybe even in this playoffs i’ll bet sitting out this game lights a fire under his arse and ends up top 10 in playoff goals this year.

• DLHABSNUT65 says:

Montreal has had an interest in Stewart in the past. I don’t suppose a deal could be made 1 for 1 with Rene Bourque!? Maybe we might have to include a draft pic although not too high a pick!

35. Dr.Rex says:

Where did TImmy have to go in such a hurry after the goal? Did he have diarrheaa?

36. slapshot777 says:

The Caps just beat the Bruins. You could hear a pin drop. Love it.

37. boing007 says:

Backstrom scores, Caps win. Poor Timmy.

Richard R

Price is an oyster. Alas, not all oysters produce pearls.

• habsfan0 says:

Ever notice how QUICKLY Tim Thomas scampers off the ice whenever he’s scored upon in OT?

Too bad we didn’t get to see that during last year’s 1st round.

38. Mark C says:

What effort and D by Semin and I thought Russians didn’t care.

39. boing007 says:

Boudreau just put down PJ on National TV. Way to go, Bruce!

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

Patrice Bergeron is a tough guy all of a sudden eh? Man, I wish some one went Rome on that guy. And Chara, of course.

41. twocents says:

Pierre McGuire has announced he has withdrawn his name from candidacy for the Canadiens’ GM position. In a statement released through tsn.ca Pierre states,

“Look, I tried calling Savard five times over the past two weeks and I still haven’t heard back from him. I even left messages four times! I would’ve left one the fifth time, but the phone did a weird thing and kinda disconnected. I’m fed up. I mean I’m not going to work for a guy whose so disorganized that he can’t keep track of his messages. They’ve simply blown their chance on this one. I won’t even listen when he comes begging!”

42. boing007 says:

Caps and Bruins. Offensively challenged.

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

43. Mattyleg says:

Sorta watching Bos-Wash while I work.
    Glad I’m not totally watching it.
    What a yawn-fest.
    Jeezis.

…or am I missing something?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

44. D Mex says:

I find it interesting that Francis Bouillon, who always played with heart in the Habs jersey, was not retained while Webber and Diaz seem to be fireproof (pun intended :-) )
    Apart from the fact Webber has that awe-inspring shot, which he used to score all of (drumroll …) 4G this season, and (admittedly) Diaz IS an all-star, I could see the team managing nicely without them in the future – just sayin’.
    Maybe a three-for-whatever package, with Kaberle as the 3rd piece – ?

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

• durocher says:

I’d take Cube over Weber or Diaz any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

He’s small, but he had some serious courage and a will to win.

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Remember that time he beat the snot outta Darcy Tucker? Loved that little SOB.

______________________________________________________
        Lost a bottle of Kraken during this debacle of a season. Better gettem next year.

45. christophor says:

This offseason’s the time to pull Chris Stewart out of St. Louis.

• Mike D says:

I’d be down with that. Wonder what it would cost to get him here? It would be better if he was a LW though since we’re set at RW for the moment.

Would we be getting him at a low price due to his bad season, or is his career headed down the same path as his brother Anthony?

- Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• habstrinifan says:

One of the players many fans were asking for last summer.

46. DorvalTony says:

“Bury?”

Thanks for listening, Geoff Molson.

47. Natty-Dread says:

Offer our 1st round pick and Emelin’s rights to Nashville if they have ANY trouble signing Shea Weber.
    Given that Nashville has traded negotiating rights for players on a number of occasions, it seems like they get their negotiations done early.
    Unlikely but i can dream right? Still, makes more sense than that ludicrous article from R. Cloutier (Thanks for posting that btw). Talk about over-valuing Yakupov…

48. frontenac1 says:

Great article on Smitty! Always willing to help the kids in North Frontenac when he can. A real ,honest good guy!

49. habsfan0 says:

April 14, 1865…President Abraham Lincoln assassinated.

April 14, 1912…Titanic strikes an iceberg.

April 14, 1969…Montreal Expos play first MLB game outside US.

April 14, 2012…Emile “Butch” Bouchard passes.

50. Mark C says:

If anyone feels like a good laugh, check out this blog from Hockey Buzz on potential trades for the 1st overall pick. Apparently, the difference between Yakupov and one of Grigorenko/Forsberg/ Galchenyuk?Dumba etc. is Subban. Silly season has started!

• Mattyleg says:

Started?! Silly season never ends on HI/O| :)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Josh says:

And Subban is probably what it would take if we were lucky. You have to understand there’s a high demand for this pick so the price will be quite high. You can’t just go up to the Oilers and be like “lets trade picks and we’ll toss in Weber to make up for the difference”.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Wow, what is that guy on…

He clearly doesn’t know how much Subban does for the Habs (or maybe he does)… and that’s just his price to move up from 3 to 1!? I don’t know, that deal is almost like a slap in the face to PK and the Habs, lol. And the 3rd overall pick is the highest the Habs have had in a long, long time.

I guess getting the 1st overall three years in a row has gone to his head.

And then he proposes Tyler Myers straight up for Yakupov… okay… Weber straight up for Yakupov… something doesn’t seem right here.

• boing007 says:

Love it if the Habs could get Yak and Yuk. Subban for Yak and Yuk? Not really. Would prefer to offer Kaberle, Diaz, Webber and whomever instead. Gomez? Bourque? Half the team? Sure.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

51. ed lopaz says:

Old Bald makes an interesting point down below about young 18 and 19 year olds who have the skill to contribute at the NHL level.

There are many players today who are so well trained, so fast, so strong, so skilled, that at 18 and 19 years old they can play very effectively at the NHL level.

So what do the Habs need to do to make this a reality with their 2012 3rd overall pick?

The skill is there – no matter who they pick – the player will be NHL ready.

Its about assessing the player’s character, first and foremost, and then its about coaching and leadership in the room and off the ice.

The player needs to have the right character.

Stamkos pushed back when his coach declared publicly that he wasn’t strong enough to play at the NHL level.

Imagine a player who is so dominant all his life, drafted and makes his NHL team, only to have his coach throw him under the bus like that.

The player needs to be made of the right “stuff” to dig deep, to push hard, to understand that he won’t always be the greatest player on the ice every night, or even any night.

The player needs to adapt to his new reality, and still feel confident and play with confidence and the skill that has gotten him to that point.

Many players have the skill, much fewer have this type of character.

2nd is the right coaching and the right leadership on the team.

As the 18 year old is adapting and understanding his new role, what kind of coaching will he get, what kind of leadership from his teammates will he receive??

The coach needs to live with an 18 year old’s mistakes. The coach needs to be prepared to coach a “kid” and its not always easy.

Some coaches would rather throw “experience” on the ice over “skill” – some NHL coaches do not want to risk their own jobs while an 18 year old gaffs a few times and blows a few games.

It takes a special coach, a coach who is comfortable in his position, comfortable in his own skin, confident.

Finally the key players in the room need to advise the kid, watch over him, keep him out of trouble as much as possible – I’m talking about on the ice (protecting him), and off the ice.

The leaders in the room carry the kid through the tough times, keep his spirits up, and let him know that he brings value to their team and that he is accepted – regardless of his age.

If the player has the right character, coaching, and leaders on the team, a skilled 1st round pick can make the jump to the NHL.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Thanks for your contribution. I think we fall into the trap of thinking that what is good for most is good for all. When I see Philly’s kids playing so well (and others as well), I question the almost universal dogma that insists that each and every kid must spend years in the AHL. You are absolutely correct when you say that it takes the right coach and team support. Other teams have this. I hope the restructuring puts people with vision in place.

• boing007 says:

Landeskog is one of them.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

52. PrimeTime says:

Series far from over but anyone feel bad for Vancouver?? Thank you Kings!

Pens/Flyers game was great…….can’t wait until game 3. Still laughing at the stupid comments posted last night. Classic idiot Hab fans……I wonder if they still get jealous when the neighbor gets something new?

AK46 scored a goal last night……omg why did we trade him? He’s a MONSTER!! In fact why don’t we have every player that has scored or made a great play? The new GM better have a great track record on NHL12 and watch TSN highlights so he knows everything about hockey!

53. habs-fan-84 says:

Any chance we can pick up Brown this summer…? That would be nice

54. mike3131 says:

Interesting read on Mike Smith…

Written by goalie coach, Jon Elkin

• Mark C says:

Given away by the geniuses Stevie Y and Guy The Great for NOTHING! On the bright side, Tampa has able to keep Dwayne Roloson.

Great stuff, thanks for sharing.

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Just talking about that the other day. Nothing like letting a goalie mature eh? Better get them out while the getting is good, then grab wash ups from non play off teams to fill the void.

______________________________________________________

55. Kimberly2u says:

I thought their mistake also saying the Pens were favorites to win….pens and nucks are good regular season teams but the playoffs not so much

• mike3131 says:

What happened to Boston last year? If Pittsburgh wins on Sunday it’s a brand new series.

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

I think that for Pitt, but I can’t wait to see those dummys in Van City fall flat on their “holy-er than thou” faces. Hockey moral superiority is for us Habs fan’s and us alone god damn it.

______________________________________________________

56. Mattyleg says:

Morning everyone!
    I get to work all weekend again!
    …but it’s the laaaaast time, so it doesn’t bother me so much.

Had to chuckle this morning when TSN called the Pens “Stanley Cup favourites” and expressed shock at their loss.

I never put the Pens as Favourites.
    For me, it’s Blues, Nash, Range.

Pens? Naaah. Good team, for sure. Favourites? Nope.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

57. habs-fan-84 says:

Fleury is the most overrated goalie in the league. So good to see that team down 2 – 0. Same goes for Vancouver!

58. Un Canadien errant says:

I went out to watch the Canucks game with a couple of friends, nice upstairs lounge at a local restaurant. Great time with good friends, happened to be surrounded by ladies who might have thought they could escape having to watch the game but found two flatscreens tuned in, and they gamely went along and cheered. Until the third Kings’ goal. We saw a lot of jackets being thrown on and bills being settled rather abruptly.

It doesn’t look good for the Canucks, they seem like a different team than last year, certainly missing Daniel, but maybe something else also. With Ryan Kesler not dominant like last year, everything seems to rest on Henrik, when he’s not on the ice, no one expects that they’ll score.

The consensus is that the Canucks have to start Cory Schneider, if only to shake things up. I saw lots of glum faces, not much enthusiasm to set a location to watch the next as a group.
    ———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

59. commandant says:

Another Swedish Sniper ranked in our top 10 draft prospects

60. Mr.Hazard says:

One of SEVEN pucks to get by Fleury (photo caption); the last was an empty-netter.

61. RGM says:

Re-posting this from last night, and want to do it here rather than the Butch thread…

Just got back from the Remparts/Mooseheads game. Went to Game 4 on Wednesday as well. Have to say, I am not impressed with Grigorenko. I was high on him going into these two games as the potential Habs selection, but after two playoffs games…I’m not sure now. Floats a lot, didn’t win a ton of puck battles, didn’t generate much. He had a goal in Wednesday’s game, but with the Remparts up 3-0 in the series he didn’t display much of a killer instinct. It’s now 3-2 going back to Quebec City. When the Remparts were down a goal in the final minute, he wasn’t out for the last segment even after the timeout. MacKinnon nearly spun him into the ice in one play.
    I’ve been advocating for Grigorenko as the Habs’ selection, but after seeing him play for two games, I see why some who have seen him more often than I are reluctant.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

62. Old Bald Bird says:

In the new NHL good players come up quickly. They don’t spend oodles of time in the AHL as almost all posters seem to want our players to do. As far as I know, Couturier came up directly, Giroux after a few months, and Schenn after a year. If players are used properly and given room to grow, they can be effective early. Keep Leblanc up and give him good minutes. Do the same for our draft choice, whoever he is. Accept the fact there will be growing pains and stop breaking their spirits by nailing them to the bench for every tiny misstep. We can do this as long as we can accept the fact that, right now, the Habs are not an elite club that require the paying of heavy dues to enter. When you’re 15th and 27th, you examine your approach and start doing things differently. You look around and see the kind of approaches that are being successful elsewhere.

• JF says:

I think it depends on the player. Pacioretty was a different player when he came up after spending months dominating in the AHL. It also depends on the role the player is given. Development is favoured more by learning to excel in your natural position in the AHĿ than by playing fourth-line minutes in the NHL. There are a few players each season who are ready for the big league at 18, but not many. Most benefit from at least a year in the AHL, and I think this would apply to Louis Leblanc and probably to the player we draft in June.

• Old Bald Bird says:

I think part of the problem is projecting where a player should fit in the long run and then slotting him accordingly. Pacs showed a lot to me in his first attempts, but then he was also moved around a lot. Leblanc was also brought up in a pretty undefined role this past year. I look around and see quite a few players being given suitable NHL roles right off the bat or close to it, but this is not a Hab thing. I think when the team is not advancing very well, the organization has to look carefully at its philosophy. In fact, I don’t think this team has one.

It is my understanding that if we were to get one of the two Russians not named Nail that they would either play with the Habs or in junior. Would we really want them playing junior? If they are brought up, do we want them playing reduced roles on lower lines? I think that the team at least has to ask these questions, and I don’t think they’ve done that very well in the past.

I just disagree with the prevailing mentality that each and every guy has to play for two years in the AHL when the clear experience of other teams is that this is not always the case.

• Mark C says:

It’s really all about the player. Some top prospects never need a day in the AHL, take Tyler Seguin for example. Boston gave him 12 minutes a game in the NHL last year and he produced uneven results, but he was able to learn a lot about the pro game. Fast forward one year and he leads the team in goals and points, never playing in the AHL didn’t hurt him. As JF noted, Pacioretty was clearly aided by some extra AHL seasoning. I think Leblanc’s development would benefit from a little more time spent in the AHL, playing big minutes with a focus on producing more offense.

One thing is for sure, the #3 pick is unlikely to spend one day in the AHL thanks to those silly CHL/AHL transfer rules.

• ont fan says:

You may be right about it not being the case all the time…bringing these kids up in a losing enviornment and giving them a few minutes on the 3rd or 4th line sure doesn’t work. I like what Philly did. Move the vets that have value and sink or swim with prospects.Whether that be this year or next is the question. The other problem is that Edmonton did that and all they do is lose. Yet they have great pospects. So is it a coaching thing?

• HardHabits says:

Philadelphia has more depth and has been on the map for longer. Also, Philly flipping Carter and Richards for Voracek, Simmonds, Schenn and the pick that got Couturier was sheer genius. It’s the type of bold move with immediate returns that I couldn’t ever see the Habs past regime doing.

Edmonton could be very, very good in 2-3 years. They have top flight assets. In a few years they’ll be able to flip players for major returns if need be and grow further. But they need more depth and better success drafting in later rounds to be viable, which has to come if they are to make any noise. If it does they will be a powerhouse.

• issie74 says:

I have watched both Russian centers play,both are good where they are just now.How they will develop is anyone’s guess (look at Malkin)he developed slowly on the big team and he was knocked big time but Pens stayed with him.I think the question is will he play in the AHL or return to Russia and make big money playing in the KHL.I think if the Habs choose they may have to keep him with with the big club.I think Galchenyuk is different because he was born in the USA and has lived all over the world he could have a different attitude.
          This is not meant as a knock on Grigorenko.

NorthTOHab

• ooder says:

also depends on the coach.. if a coach can nurture and teach young players then you are right. but if you have a coach like JM who will play you 2 minutes a game because you made a turn over last week, and then doesn’t talk to you at all.. well then its a different story

——————
      The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

Got to watch most of the Philly/Pitt game at the Hotel Bar here in Mexico, unbelievable the amount of goal scoring. Where is the world class goaltending?

No surprise Giroux taking game over, but who saw Couterier putting up a hat trick in his 2nd playoff game ever.

Still think the Wpg. Jets may regret not taking him when they picked Scheifle.

64. Hobie Hansen says:

My week of midnight shifts are over and I finally get to watch some playoff hockey tonight. Going to the Keg with my $200 gift certificate!
    I’ll be cheering for the Sens while I eat my surf and turf!

Too bad it wasn’t the Habs! :-(

• Habfan10912 says:

Sounds like a well deserved evening Hobie. Enjoy! If the Nucks go out early, besides the coach, is there anyone the Habs can scoop up for GM positions

• smiler2729 says:

Midnights are brutal eh, Keg $200, nice!

_______________________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are gutless weasel pukes.
      The Halakian Jaroslaves’ constant BS make me anti-Halak

65. L Elle says:

In all fairness, he was injured – taken out by his own teammate. Hate to see something like that.

But if that had been Price, he would’ve been faking it because he’s “afraid” of losing, or something like that.

Yeah. They yanked him for not letting in any goals.

67. alwayssunny says:

There’s the Halak troll again. Seriously man, i dont know what your fetish is with this guy but he doesn’t play for the Habs anymore. What are you trying to prove? Halak saved 12 out of 12 shots FYI. At least get your information right.

68. L Elle says:

Ahem, how honourable of you to defend H word. Now, how about you go after the Oyster Guy?

Who’s the Oyster guy you ask? Keep reading down, you’ll run into a few Price Haters.