Fluky goal put Pacioretty on a roll

The Canadiens will be looking to extend their streak of recording at least one point in a game to 12 when they visit the New York Islanders Tuesday night (7 p.m., RDS, TSN 690 Radio).

The last time the Canadiens failed to pick up a point in a game was on Feb. 9, when they lost 6-0 to the Toronto Maple Leafs at the Bell Centre. Since then, they have gone 8-0-3 to move into first place in the Eastern Conference.

Max Pacioretty has also been on fire with eight goals and four assists in his last eight games and was named the NHL’s first star of the week on Monday after posting 4-3-7 totals in four games.

Pacioretty has been on fire since scoring his first goal of the season on a fluky bounce shot in a 3-0 win over Carolina on Feb. 18 that brought back memories of former Habs defenceman J.C. Tremblay.

“It’s strange to think that it all started with that fluky goal,” Pacioretty told reporters on Monday. “I scored the next game and now I’m playing with a lot of confidence and I find I’m moving my feet. This honour is great but it’s really a team award and I have to thank my teammates and the two guys on my line.”

The Canadiens held an optional morning skate Tuesday on Long Island. The only players who didn’t take part were Brian Gionta, Tomas Kaberle, Tomas Plekanec, Francis Bouillon, Michael Ryder and Brandon Prust.

Carey Price will start in goal for the Canadiens.

(Photo by Frank Gunn/The Canadian Press)

Pacioretty on fire since fluky first goal, by Pat Hickey

Pacioretty’s goal brings back memories of J.C. Tremblay, by Stu Cowan

Game Preview: Canadiens vs. Islanders, by canadiens.com

Game Preview: Canadiens vs. Islanders, by newyorkislanders.com

Habs respond to Julien’s comments, by canadiens.com

Relive the first hours of Michael Ryder’s return to the Canadiens

Ryder has had great NHL career for an eighth-round draft pick, by Stu Cowan

First half of NHL season features surprises, by The Canadian Press

Kaleta warrants more punishment, by Cam Cole of Postmedia News

Hockey cards top $100,000 at auction, by Randy Boswell of Postmedia News

1. H.Upmann says:

Don’t think we’ll get that high up in the draft (or tank that low), but Nikita Zadarov or Rasmus Ristolainen could be an awesome pick if they ever fell lower in the rankings. Can’t have enough big puck moving D.

2. Luke says:

First!

(Just practising for the new thread)

3. habfan53 says:

TSN has just ranked Gallagher top rookie (about time)
    Galchenyuk no.5 in the power rankings

4. pmaraw says:

i hate to say this, but I almost want us to lose sometime soon so I can stop hearing about that friggin’ 6-0 loss to the leafs

5. Kooch7800 says:

NOT HOCKEY RELATED
    Anyone needing a good laugh

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

6. HAB - Have A Beer says:

Gotta pick up Guys that’s tough can fight and put up some points. Fighting alone is not good enough that’s why Boston is successful.

Boston will lose games against the Habs but they won’t lose a series. Habs have a lot of talent but is too soft for 28 games of playoff hockey ….

7. Danno says:

Hilarious!!!

More evidence Claude Julien is the pot calling the kettle black with regards to embellishments:

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

8. billylove says:

Haven’t seen this brought up yet but wonderin if any team has gone from last to first in consecutive years? Cant recall that ever happening.

9. Loonie says:

Anybody know why Anton Volchenkov has been a healthy scratch for the Devils?

I read last night that he was.

If he’s available by way of trade I’d be interested with caution. Big time shot blocker and very physical with three years left at $4.25 million.

Having said that he’s exactly the kind of physical player we need on defense and could be justifiably be inserted into our lineup ahead of Kaberle or Bouillon.

I would proceed with caution though, the Devils will surely be looking for a first round pick.

• The Cat says:

Wouldnt hurt to try, itd improve the depth, but I share the same opinion as Michel bergeron in that when the first thing people say about a d-man is that hes a good shot blocker, it usually means hes lacking in everything else, and everything else is more important than blocking shots.

• Loonie says:

In Volchenkov’s case that’s not really fair because he is a thunderous checker.

I think the statement definitely applies to Josh Gorges however. He’s adored because of his leadership and willingness to get in front of shots.

The argument for his perceived greatness as a defensive player seems to lie exclusively in his plus minus numbers which most of us know are a smoke in mirrors statistic to begin with.

• The Cat says:

I remember him being a thunderous checker, but hes really slipped under the radar these past years.

• Loonie says:

He’s averaged more than two hits per game over the last couple of years still and can still lay the wood.

He’s been hurt recently though.

• Kooch7800 says:

He is good but I am not a fan of his contract.

the three years is the problem as we have some guys coming up that need to play

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Loonie says:

That shouldn’t be a big concern. Bouillon doesn’t have much tread left on his tires, Kaberle’s all but gone too.

The only defensemen this team has who should be considered locks for the next few years are Subban, Emelin and Diaz in my opinion.

Everyone else should be considered expendable as early as this summer, some sooner.

• Kooch7800 says:

Was he concussed on the hit from Schen earlier this year?

I like Anton and he can hit like a mac truck. Could you imagine him and Emelin on the same D. I just think 4.25 is a little steep for a stay at home guy.

If they would take Weber and Kabrele for him I would make that trade.
          “Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Loonie says:

I agree the salary is high. But we’re paying Gorges just under $4 million to block shots.

Looks like he has been healthy scratch 3-4 games in a row now. He has battled some serious injuries last few years, wonder if they have all caught up to him and slowed him down.

• Habfan17 says:

With that salary, he would need to be a top four dman which would mean moving someone. Not Boullion or Kaberle, more like Gorges, Markov, or Emelin. His style and value is about the same as Emelin, but he is 5 years older and having 3 years left makes him unattractive, especially because his style has lead to injuries and he hasn’t played a full season. I don’t believe Bergevin wants two defenceman that at salaries over $4 million to have to try to move or buy out. If he was in the last year of his contract, maybe.

Habfan17

10. Kevy says:

After watching the Maxpac goal against the bruins I keep thinking… Lucky for Desharnais that Mcquaid missed cutting him in half with his stick and why no penalty for cross checking him to the ice right after he missed with his stick. Why is that OK but if play was in progress it might be a penalty.
    Or might be a penalty if we did it to them…

11. HabFanSince72 says:

Sorry to interrupt with more pedantry, but actually Nazem is pronounced “over” and Kadri is pronounced “rated”.

• Gormdog says:

Not sure how true that is… I think he’s going to be a Hab Killer for years to come, one of the few Leafs on the roster who can skate pass and shoot with the likes of our skilled forwards, he will be integral to their success over the next 5 years and so far he seems up to the task… His third goal to make the Hat trick was pure magic, if Galchenyuk did that we would anoint him Malkin 2.0 on the spot…

12. commandant says:

Max V looks at Barry Melrose’s failure to defend the NHL on ESPN in an argument with Stephen A. Smith over the Hawks unbeaten streak vs the Heat winning streak

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

13. Baconmaker says:

This video explains what Julien must have been talking about.

Given all the love for Parros on this site lately, here is a place for more on Parros and that famous ‘Stache of his.

15. homerbowen says:

If Patrick Bordeleau is available from the Avs we should make every effort to obtain him. Even if we only use him against Boston and Toronto, which may be the case, it would be worth it. While I doubt he could handle Chara he would stand up reasonably well against Lucic. As the Leauge is getting tougher I’m afraid I’ve fallen in with those that think we need to get tougher too because no way in hell we’ll be in 1st place by season’s end. Also, I wish Patches would keep his comments regarding Jullien to himself as all it does is fuel the zoo in Boston and perhaps his memory is short but didin’t he do that once before. Good luck tonight boys.

• commandant says:

If we want a goon who can’t play hockey there are about 50 of them on AHL contracts we could sign, and we wouldn’t have to trade anything to get them.

Bourdeleau can barely skate, which means his effectiveness against guys like Chara and Lucic is nil. They will just laugh him off and let Thornton fight him, same as they did to Laraque.

The thing is Lucic and Chara can play hockey, so if you want to play that game, you better be tough and able to play the game too, or it doesn’t work, they will just skate right by you and generate scoring chances.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Chara and Lucic do not fight goons. Period. So it does not make sense to gauge a goon’s effectiveness against them. Goons are there to fight against other teams’ goons. They are basically canon fodder; like trading two pawns in chess. Chara and Lucic have been instructed not to fight them. Forget the press conference, Julien was pissed that they fought Sunday night. Lucic went after the heart of the Habs now, Prust, and did not get the job done (points victory not knockout). He gave a psychological advantage to the Habs. Chara…he was just stupid; falling for Seguin’s embellishment.

Prust is the primary combatant on the Habs which is not good given his growing importance. The Habs will bring in someone to become it BUT they will not give up any assets. MB tried to get Sestito off waivers but “unfortunately” the Habs were in first place. Be patient…he’s coming.

• Cal says:

If Patches hasn’t earned the right to talk against those thugs, who has? What more can they do to him?

16. The Cat says:

I never would have imagined The Daily Show giving a rat’s ass about the bruins or the NHL in general to make a segment about it…Funny, youd think TSN or RDS or SNET or any other sports network would’ve done something like this long ago…This is the best proof that the sports networks realize who butters their bread.

When Brian McGrattan was acquired by Calgary, I seem to recall someone mentioning how he had some “personal issues”. TUrns out he appears to be successfully battling Alcoholism, and along the way has found a way to help others in the NHL battling this disease.

A good read if you have a few minutes.