Flower acquitted by Quebec court

Canadiens legend Guy Lafleur has been unanimously acquitted by the Quebec Court of Appeal of
giving contradictory testimony at the trial of his son, Mark Lafleur.

1. habs4eternity says:

must have been his 1st game of the season, because every other game he was pulled.

2. Say Ash says:

The Nashville one was ridiculous, too.

3. avatar_58 says:

Ferraro is a clown. It’s funny how easy it is for him to judge WAY up there. Hits from behind happen all the time, it doesn’t mean he tried to injure the guy. He’s such a biased little wimp. When I was listening to his tired on Lapierre I came very close to wanting to turn off the TV

4. ProHabs says:

Goalies are a dime a dozen. If Price gets hurt this year, the team can just go out and sign Ray Emery for a month. He can be our goalie and add some toughness to our team

5. avatar_58 says:

THIS is what I’m talking about. This was such an effing demoralizing loss. He did everything but get out there and score. I have faith he can become our man

6. nightmare_49 says:

laffs GM Burke has a fine blueline mess on his hands – by Allan Muir / Sports Illustrated

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/allan_muir/08/17/kaberle.maple.leafs/index.html#ixzz0wtnDqBnu

Word on twitter is that Willie Mitchell is auditioning for the Capitals today.

7. habaddict_andy says:

Elaborate?  I don’t follow them enough to agree or not.

8. nunacanadien says:

I wonder, with the Ramo issue, we traded for another goalie recently who did not sign in Montreal, who became an unresticted free agen, Dan Ellis, this makes me wonder if Gauthier had plans for Ellis to replace Halak?  And Ellis just didn’t pan out?  Anyone know anything about the Dan Ellis situation?

9. mike g says:

That’s the game that made me hate TSN…

While I do think they are the mecca of hockey coverage in Canada, I think they’re just a bunch of friendly little losers. The way Ray Ferraro repeatedly insulted Max Lapierre was disgusting. It was the most unprofessional thing I’ve ever seen on television.

He just sounded like a fan of the opposition, sitting in his basement and watching the game while complaining about everything. It made him look dumb, stupid, and to a certain extend it seemed like he had a grudge or just dislikes French-Canadians. I got that feeling and I’m an Anglophone, so immagine..

If TSN had any ballz whatsoever, they woulda canned his a*s that very same night following the game. Apart from always being annoying, sounding like a frustrated fan, and referring to his mediocre playing days, he’s just one unpleasant person to listen to.

Ray and Glen Healy are just a bunch of grumpy a-holes who shouldn’t be on television.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

10. NightRyder says:

How is he immune to the justice system?

He was arrested, prosecuted, subject to all kinds of public ridicule from dullards like you who probably don’t even know the particulars of the case and you probably assume he’s guilty because you’re jealous of his celebrity and assume wealth alone allowed him to skate on this.

The process ran its course and three judges acquitted him. Where’s the problem there?

All of the initial media reports breathlessly said things like “hockey legend faces jail time” when anyone with a pea brain knew at worst he’d get a token fine.

In today’s 24/7 blogosphere, where credibility and accountability means nothing, everyone is always guilty until proven innocent.

Even then, you clowns don’t let the facts get in the way of a good hate-on.

11. nightmare_49 says:

Habs Off Season Analysis: The Defence – by George Prax / Hockey Independent

Behind the Scenes on Kaberle Deadline day:  DGB

12. Les Habitants says:

Come on. He was only looking after his boy. Isn’t that a father’s job? It’s not like he did something to hurt someone.

I agree that athletes shouldn’t be above the law but this is different, this is The Flower were talking about, its GUY!!!

The last time the leafs won the cup it was still just a bowl!!

13. BJ says:

Nothing sad about this. He’s a good guy who loves his son and rightfully tried to protect him, a win for the people. You want gangsters and real criminals look to Washington, Ottawa, the judicial system, the banksters, military industrial-petro chemical complex.

14. B says:

Does that mean you would be cool with a 22 year old man who was previously arrested for (among other things) assaulting a prison guard and sexually assaulting a minor spending nights in a hotel room with your 16 year old daughter?
    I know that I would not want my 16 year old daughter any where near a guy like that, let alone spending nights in a hotel room with a creep who appears to have a thing for children.

15. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Gimme a break, it’s not like he fricken murdered somebody.

16. notbigbird says:

Got me laughing HH. Thanks. I guess I was a Lennon guy. We’re bound to disagree on everything, it seems.

17. j2c says:

I was just watching Carey in this game last season and if he plays like this then he will be just fine this upcoming season.

18. Kristopher7 says:

This is sad… he should of got something. Just because he was a good hockey player doesn’t mean he should be immune to the justice system, this is pathetic.

19. Say Ash says:

On top of Carey, I thought that was one of our best-played games last year. We had great transition and speed coming through the neutral zone – really going toe-to-toe with one of the best teams, not Martin-esque as I recalled at the time. Of course, Lappy had a brain-fart, but c’est la vie.

20. Muckbringer says:

“Lafleur, moving rather gingerly on the right side passes the law”

good!!!!

21. The Cat says:

Im picking Minny as a darkhorse this year.

22. Chuck says:

Add up those 60 goals, and I bet that the puck wasn’t on his stick for 60 seconds.

23. punkster says:

Can’t…stop…giggling…another great one JD. Particularley love the Trix reference.

FREE TIMO!

24. volcano62 says:

Flower Power baby!

25. habaddict_andy says:

By the looks of it, Guillaume will be wishing he was still in Montreal.  But the money he’s making is propably worth missing playoffs for.

26. RJB says:

I do not approve of any racist or hate speech, but just because one person or a group of people may direct it at a certain player, coach etc. It does not make it okay for you to be just as ignorant or racist. I would hope that most people would think twice before saying something that is filled with hate, just because it is on the internet does not make it any more acceptable.

27. mrhabby says:

his name…enough said.

28. habaddict_andy says:

Off topic, I don’t know if this has been posted yet.  At least THN is predicting Canadiens to make the playoff.  I wonder how far they will grade Canadiens though.  I still say we will challenge the division title.

29. JD_ says:

* Lafleur got his due process or, as Canada deems it, fundamental justice and got off. I’m about as cynical as one can be – I have witnesses – but why the presumption of special treatment? Why all the paranoia? Is everyone in Guy’s predicament sent off to do 5-to-10 of hard labour? Must be tough bein’ Guy Lafleur, or any Hab legend for that matter, knowin’ everyone’s assumin’ the moment you step in a courthouse, the scales of justice are swingin’ in yer direction while the rest of the world’s lowly peons are gettin’ scrooed over. In the interests of appeasin’ the tattered-bathrobe-and-a-momma-in-the-attic crowd, I suppose he should have made the followin’ statement at the openin’ of proceedings: “Your honour, although my name is Guy Lafleur and I look exactly like Guy Lafleur, I’m not really that Guy Lafleur, so don’t let that influence your decision, not that it would, kay?”

Next time I rob a bank, I’m havin’ Jean Beliveau do all the high-profile s***; e.g., wavin’ the gun, smackin’ the guard with said gun, droppin’ the chandelier with a few well-placed shots, carryin’ the bags of loot with the $ signs on ‘em, etc… Toss in a little special treatment and we’re off to the races.

* Burkie on not movin’ Kaberle: “We could have made a bad deal. We didn’t want to do that.” Students of subtletly will note how the ol’ GM didn’t just simply say, “We didn’t want to make a bad deal,” but, rather, chose to explain that he/we could have made a bad deal but chose not to. See, in Burkeoff’s world, makin’ a bad deal is always an option; it just comes down to whether or not to go with that option. This philosophical treatise is further explored in my upcomin’ book, “F*****’ Blowhard Couldn’t Manage His Way Out Of A Wet Paper Bag: Conversations With Brian Burke”.

* Further from the same Burkie article by the Sun’s Steve Simmons, “Yesterday, this [the Mopey Loafs] was a challenged hockey team. Today, it remains just that.” Now, by challenged, I think Steve specifically means…nah, this one’s too easy and I don’t do easy.

* Carey Price hasn’t signed. In other news, think I’ll make a sandwich.

* The Burkster on his defensive corps, “I’ll put that group of 1 through 8 against anybody in hockey. That’s as good as anybody’s got.” Loaf fans take heed, we may be on to somethin’ here. Seems Burkie might not be aware that NHL team rosters are 20-23 players. So, while bein’ keen on “1 through 8” is awesome ‘n’ all, it’s about a dozen players short of havin’ any hope of makin’ the playoffs. Silly Burkie, rings are for winners.

* You know, funny thing about Guy is that, when interviewed, he just doesn’t come across as particularly bright. Then again, Scotty Bowman sometimes sounds like a flat-out moron when a microphone’s in front of his face. Seriously. Then you’ve got the ever-articulate, think-on-the-spot Pierre McGuire, who I wouldn’t trust to run the skate sharpenin’ end of the business.

30. nunacanadien says:

Great, now all we have to fall back on now is Auld, and after that who?  Oh yes, Pierre Gauthier will have the signed trade agreement paper acting as the goalie, you know the one with Ramo?  While we watch the pucks go in the net, we’ll say wait til next year when Ramo comes, if he comes…..or wait, we can point to Gauthier recent trade where we saw Sergei go down for the rights to Dan Ellis.  Yes, Gauthier can have Dan Ellis’ trade agreement with Nashville try to stop pucks…..geeze, Gauthier, you’re not doing so good with goalies this year aren’t you?

31. Mattyleg says:

That’s good news.

And for those of you who are crying because famous people get preferential treatment: Did you just arrive on this planet?

Who cares? There are plenty of other injustices in the world to moan about, like why your chai latte isn’t warm enough, or why your property tax is so high in the suburbs.

Good news for my first hockey hero.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

32. Mattyleg says:

Also great to see Mike Green on the ice for all 3 AKos goals! heh heh.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

33. Mattyleg says:

Those are great, but man, does the Vs commentary bother me… “they’re gonna change the goalie to shock the red!” And “the Caps couldn’t get it out and get it in.”

And if I have to hear Bob Cole say “Oh Baby!” one more time, I’m going to… I don’t know what I’m going to do.

But just watch!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

34. ooder says:

i was there as well.. it was sick!

——————

88 is the new 23

35. Mr-T says:

Which can be interperated as ambiguous I presume.

36. habstrinifan says:

WHAT? Revisionist history it seems. Lafleur was not fluff. He was a great habs. Come on let’s not tarnish the memory of those really great individuals who contributed so much to the habs.

I never thought I would be on a habs fan site where Kovalev is praised and Lafleur denigrated as fluff. WOW!

37. ZepFan2 says:

Shutt was my man.

Good hands around the net. Those 60 goals weren’t too shabby either.

Ahh, what a line!

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

I was at that Ranger’s game. My buddy and I called the hatty after Cammy’s 2nd goal. The amazing thing was leaving the Bell Centre and everyone was singing Ole Ole going down and out the stairs.

Yes sir Sargent Stadanko!!!

40. yathehabsrule says:

47 saves on the night for Gilbert too.

Cherry felt terrible for him. I think it was the only time I ever heard Donald S actually admit he made a mistake.

___________________________________________

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

41. Mr-T says:

WOW…Incendiary, subversive, [out of context]  perverse,  provocative,  nonsensical,  animated, stupendous,   enlightening, contradictory and cerebal[non representational] all in one post. You are a testament to your own vivid mindset.

42. bwoar says:

The best part of this site is that people can unload all kinds of vitriol, lies, hate speech and other nonsense against players, coaches, management and real people, but I insult the general culture on this board, and by extension Quebec, and sand shows up in the va-j-j’s as if I’d said the West should invade.

HIO’s new tagline ought to be – “Why stay classy?”

43. Xtrahabsfan says:

It was Gilbert huh ,wow ,long time ago,thanx.

44. terrygain says:

The Flower a creamy cup-cake fluff ball? You are deranged. I can’t believe how many of you punks hate so many players on the team you claim to love

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Did anyone notice how those Maple Leaf fans are such sheep? They support management no matter what. It’s no wonder they haven’t won in 43 years.

45. yathehabsrule says:

Gilles Gilbert was in goal for the Bruins in the “Too many men” game.

___________________________________________

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

46. notbigbird says:

Stop it. I’m getting giddy.

47. Xtrahabsfan says:

HH ,PLEASE  take it easy on  THE FLOWER…….I’ll never foget that slapper past Chevers….it was falling down Great!

48. Habsone says:

So why do you use it???

49. SeriousFan09 says:

Adding on to this, some sweet remembrance of the Habs bringing the pain in the playoffs from YouTube…

Montreal-Washington Montage

Montreal-Pittsburgh Montage

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

50. PeterD says:

Sorry I got mixed up on the Akost picece…let’s try again…

And a Carey price Piece…55 shots and 53 saves against Nashville…we lose but the kid did alright…

51. punkster says:

Thank you.

Thank you.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

That Cammy sequence was brilliant.

FREE TIMO!

52. Duracell3 says:

Miso Campo is now 23, pretty sure oshawa is 23. Even if she was 20, there is a huge difference in 16 and 20, legally and otherwise.

Also, the argument that anyone doesn’t understand what a curfew is outrageous. How he got off on that, even with who is is, is bewildering.

53. PeterD says:

lately there has been a lot of negativity on htis site…so lest we forget…these two videos may help cheer folks up a bit …come on training camp and the regular season…

Cammalerri hat trick…

AKost hat trick …

54. punkster says:

All well and fine for you, but if he trashes Dave Keon in any way I gonna, ohhh, I don’t know what!

FREE TIMO!

55. B says:

I don’t agree with generalizations, but that aside, there were comments posted like:

No crime there.

Come on. He was only looking after his boy. Isn’t that a father’s job? It’s not like he did something to hurt someone

GUY GUY GUY GUY !!!!!!
    He is as slick off the ice as he was on. God bless him he was … is and will always be my Hero !

56. notbigbird says:

Amazing. We’re all smarter than any GM, and now we know more than the judicial system too.

57. ooder says:

this is a hockey site, and i think articles like these cause way to much moral arguments on  here.

i mean we freak out when our AHL backup goalie got traded…

stuff like this can just put things way out of control

——————

88 is the new 23

Forced. Whoring. It’s all semantics.

Fluffy creamy puffy. What can I say. George Harrison was my favourite Beatle too.

60. oshawahabsfan says:

Yes because this model is clearly being forced to wear a Montreal Canadiens jersey in a provocative pose…

61. notbigbird says:

You’ve got to be kidding. Won a few fluffy scoring championships, he did.

Yet you have no issue with posting an avatar with some-one’s 20 year old daughter whose legs are spread wide open suggestively with her Habs jersey pulled down enough to hide the goodie she’s so cleverly hiding.

63. oshawahabsfan says:

I think I would have an issue with my twenty-two year old son, going to a hotel to spend the night with a sixteen year old girl, maybe it’s just me

I always liked Lemaire (the player) better, felt Lafleur was over-rated and over-hyped.

Lemaire was a total bad-ass. Always showed up for the play-offs. Scored those crucial amazing game turning around goals. Lafleur, apart from burning Cherry’s Bruins in the fame too many men game, was all fluff.

A creamy cup-cake fluff ball smoking cigarettes between periods.

65. New says:

Different young lady, different place, different time. Only association is the court ordered curfew for the earlier incident.

66. TomNickle says:

A father protecting his son?

Ummmm…….Guy’s first mistake was driving his son to spend nights with the girlfriend in a hotel after he’d been in court over his relationship with her to begin with.  Guilty or not guilty, if my son has been accused of sexually assaulting a girl, the last thing I’m doing is driving him to go spend the night with her, especially knowing that I’m assisting him in violating a court order.

So yeah, the poor Guy arguments don’t fly with this Hab fan.  His son wouldn’t have needed protecting if he had been a good father in the first place and told his son no, you can’t go see her and I will not allow it.  Or you know, saying, hey son, you do know that you’ll be breaking the law again by going to see her?

And yeah, lying in court is a crime regardless of what province you’re in.  Just because this happened in Quebec doesn’t mean that it doesn’t happen all over the World, and it certainly does.

67. Mr-T says:

I believe the basis of the appeal was that the trial Judge did not consider that Guy Lafleur was under the impression that the curfew applied to the hours not location, therefore there was no intent to mislead the court, in that his statement or answer was not inconsistent to the question thereby making it argumentative to perjury. The Judge concur.

Support Carey Price         “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

68. HabFanSince72 says:

Hear hear. The only acceptable prejudice on this site is one aimed at the Toronto Maple Leafs.

(And  CBC Sports – their Pravda.)

69. Favorite Son says:

Yeah, besides, everyone knows westerners are major stoners… :p

70. _Habsoloutly_ says:

good post,  100% agree.

71. RJB says:

Bwoar, nobody here is saying that the Flowers son was innocent or without fault, nor is anybody saying Guy was without fault. What is disgusting is your generalizing of the Quebec people and their culture. Painting all of Quebec with one brush is not only doing the majority of great citizens that live there an injustice, it is also racist. Stop sounding like a bigot, this is no place for that kind of talk. Nor should any website or discussion harbour such talk.

72. Mr-T says:

Do you live in a cave or have cognitive dissonance from a conflict of being obtuse and displaying such ignorance. That lawyer definitely missed his opportunity in becoming the next Edward Greenspan.

73. SeriousFan09 says:

Because if Burke is anywhere public, he has to be quoted, he was at the NHL R&D camp with the 2011 prospects and talked about how it’s iffy with continued NHL participation in the Olympics and that players and owners need to look at compensation.

Burke
    is “troubled by people in the hockey community who presume that NHL
    should, and will, continue to send players to Olympics” and
    “We need to make [Olympics] work for all the parties. NHL and its players need to be compensated.”

Translation: I’d rather not lose to Stevie Y in 2014 and my corporate masters at the Ontario Teacher’s Pension Fund are upset that our bottom-ranked team loses out on gouging fans for bad food and overpriced merchandise for two whole weeks every four years and the players don’t care, since every player I’ve had on all the teams I’ve run would likely pay 10% of that year’s salary to be on their country’s Olympic team.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

74. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

I am interested! haha

75. JIMVINNY says:

Why hasn’t a big deal been made of the fact that this trade came about because Desjardins asked for a trade?  You’d think this would be big news, wouldn’t you?

« Ça n’a pas été dit clairement comme ça, mais mon agent a fait
    comprendre à l’organisation qu’il serait préférable de m’échanger si
    elle n’avait pas l’intention de me donner ma chance», at-il ensuite
    ajouté.

Bugs, this has to change your opinion a little, doesn’t it?

76. habstrinifan says:

It does then make the trade sound simply as moving an ahl guy for another. No long range implications. Thanks

77. Bugs says:

Haw-haw!

Yeah, that’s what I would’ve done to Halak. You sure got me pegged, Kabbie.

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

78. Chuck says:

The team, cobbled together as quickly as it was, didn’t have an official nickname that season. The newspapers instead referred to them as the “Blueshirts” (the previous Toronto professional hockey team) or as simply the “Torontos”. The name that should be on the banner could be up for discussion, but it should not be “Arenas”.

79. ProHabs says:

When did George Laroque get acquitted of robbing this team of 4.5 million bucks.

80. Mark C says:

Ramo talks to Radio Canada.

Sounds like he is all about returning to the NHL next year. Also, calls the situation in TB a mess, and coupled with uncertain playing time being the reasons he left.

81. B says:

It was 4 million bucks, they saved a half million dollars buying out his last season. You can’t blame Laraque for signing the contract that was offered to him. As for the guy who offered the contract…

82. lenny says:

This just in… Price will only sign his contract once management promises to trade every goalie in the organization, nor trade or draft any, as long as he remains a hab…

83. habaddict_andy says:

Check JimmyVinny’s post below.  Your comment is already old.

84. observer says:

Gillett’s soccer partner now to sell Stars after selling Texas Rangers.             —    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=330923

85. mike g says:

Ya…..

But Stevie Y and Guy Boucher are in Tampa now. So they’ll win 15 straight cups, solve the global warming crisis, end the recession, and resolve all wars in the world.

Too bad for Ramo. He left the Lightning just a couple of months short before they become the most prestigeous franchise in all of pro sports, ahead of teams like the Yankees and European Soccer clubs.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

86. volcano62 says:

Price will not sign with Montreal. Our goalies will be Niemi and Auld.

87. observer says:

I think I watched one game 2 years ago that he played for Tampa Bay and he looked pretty good that night?

88. nick says:

What a great post.

You know… I miss quality posts like this. If we could all write posts as informative, clever, and satisfying… I believe HIO would be a much better place.

Thank you for making a refreshing positive contribution. They are certainly too far, and few between. :P

89. observer says:

True. But as well as that Boucher did not use Desjardins for the final games as he obviously thought Sanford was better.

90. nick says:

Do you have a source other than the little man inside your head?

Don’t get me wrong… he’s cool and all… but I mean even Eklund has a website.

91. volcano62 says:

At this point, if Price signs he will be Theodore 2.0. We don’t need that….we need a stanley cup winning goalie like Niemi or a future stanley cup winning goalie like Halak. Didn’t we have one those Halak style goalies??????

92. volcano62 says:

Don’t forget his other requests like beach balls instead of pucks and overtime to lick PG anf BG’s yoohoo’s.

93. observer says:

Mindboggling treatment of goaltenders this summer. Halak is best goalie in the playoffs gets traded as Price with a terrible record since January 2009 is once again handed the #1 job. Leighton wins games because other teams get few real scoring chances on him, chokes in several games including on the final goal- re-signed at a raise. Niemi has great record, plays excellent most of the playoffs after beating out Huet for the job so they keep Huet and sign Turco and let Niemi leave. Unbelievable.

94. Mattyleg says:

1. What do you mean by “at this point”? Strange, vague statement.

2. Niemi is a rookie. He hasn’t proved anything. Why do people keep prating on about this?? Chris Osgood won a Cup, but we won’t sign him, now will we? Winning a Cup is a team effort.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

95. Eliisa says:

Price is our man. Like it or not, that is the way it is boys and girls. Let’s all accept this and move on – please. We are not the management for the Canadiens and I like to believe they know what they are doing most days. Miss Halak all you want. He’s just not coming back. He was terrific, yes, and I too was sad to see him go but a small part of me wants him to suck it up so badly this season that everyone can stop this ridiculously long debate.

96. Eliisa says:

Agreed 100%. Niemi was good when they needed him to be. He isn’t a great goalie yet. The team in front of him was great and therefore he didn’t have to be stellar. By no means did their goalie win them the Cup. He might’ve stolen them a game or two.

97. The Cat says:

Agreed. Head scratchers for sure.

98. volcano62 says:

1. Theodore took forever to sign after actually having a good year and lets see where that got him….unemployment line anybody? A huge ego can destroy a goalie. Right now Price is giggling like a little girl since our REAL goalie was traded but 5 years from now he’ll either be in the AHL or joining Theodore in the unemployment line. Maybe they can start a loan sharking or hair transplant busines together LOLLLLL

2. I would take Osgood 10 years ago. Big age difference between Niemi and Osgood.

99. The Cat says:

Osgood was never a difference maker but he gets a bit of a bum rap. Its not easy for a goalie to face like 25 shots max and stay sharp, plus he usually played better in the playoffs too.

100. sholi2000.com says:

As someone else mentioned (Boone, Stubbs ect.) he will sign near start of the annual golf tourney. All the fanfare will be done on the links, and it will be one big Habs get together.  So you’ll have to wait a few more weeks until he signs.

The End.

They Call Me Shane

101. SeriousFan09 says:

Niemi wasn’t that good, the Blackhawks made him look better than he was and tried to parlay that into a salary he thought he deserved which Chicago disagreed with, had he asked for less than they would’ve played ball but Chicago is taking a hard line on contract terms in order to be more competitive while they try and juggle the Campbell contract. Huet will NOT be backing up Turco this season, his contract will be buried or sent to Europe otherwise the Blackhawks will have to deal away even more pieces of their roster.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

102. madcap_habsfan says:

i am on the exact same page as you are on all this sillyness :)

-“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” Chuck Palahniuk

103. K-hab25 says:

Got you pegged, you do a great job of pigeon holing yourself, you don’t need me for that.

104. mrhabby says:

salary cap plain and simple…can’t keep both goalies making 3.5 each..just does not makes sense its reality.

105. mrhabby says:

yawn , yep , yes on keeper debate.

106. mrhabby says:

and bring down gas prices.

107. nick says:

What MTL needs is to not rely on their goaltenders to save their bacon night after night.

A little more scoring up front and a little less allowing 55 shots only to lose 2-0.

You could put a brick wall in front of the net… If the guys up front can’t score, you aren’t going to win.

108. SeriousFan09 says:

Hockey’s Future has P.K. Subban ranked as one of the pre-season favourites for the Calder Trophy

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

109. K-hab25 says:

Hey whose going to win the Super Bowl this year Nostradomaus?

110. K-hab25 says:

I concur!!

111. Bugs says:

How?

I’ve been SAYING for the last 24 hrs that il ne se fait pas donner sa chance.

Pourquoi est-ce qu’il ne se fait pas donner sa chance? Pour que le Priceberg ne recoivent aucune pression ni aucune competition.

C’est pour ça que Cédrick ne reçoit pas sa chance.

Guy Boucher, however, WILL have the intention de lui donner sa chance.

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

112. volcano62 says:

New York Jets

113. Bugs says:

No, what you NEED, Kabbie is to base all your arguments on “if, if” and “would, would”; that’s what you need.

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

114. K-hab25 says:

Now that’s just crazy talk. :-)

115. CERF says:

are you kidding me? you talk about Theo have ONE good/great year and then say hes unemployed.. well guess who just had ONE GREAT YEAR?? and my moneys not on Price..

116. K-hab25 says:

You know this post has touched me buggy. I didn’t know you cared about me so much. Thanks for the advice. Let me see if I got what you’re saying correct. “If” your opinions were based on intelligent thought and not emotion, I “would” agree with you more often. H’mm maybe. :-)

Not much pressure there.!!

118. HabFab says:

Now you two please show respect to my cousin John…realize that a few generations have gone past but we, the family, still honour our hero’s.

Frank Bradford

119. Mr-T says:

That statement is nonsensical.

Support Carey Price          “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

120. Bugs says:

So we BOTH agree you have no debating skills? Good.

…based on emotion… That’s good. Coming from a guy who A) projects on people he knows nothing about with “if,-ifs” and “would-woulds”, B) bases his “facts” on the capacity to see the future instead of what we’ve ALL seen with our own eyes and C) refers to Hitler when checkmated.

“Intelligent thought” like that, you mean? Yeah, ok, Kabbie.

33-yrs-old, huh? Bullspit.

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

121. HabFab says:

No pressure on us old timers, Eh Ian… and PK has already shown how he handles pressure.

Moi, I’m just going to set back and enjoy the ride.

122. Say Ash says:

Meh, Subban has it pretty easy next to Price, who should have won his third cup by now.

123. HabFab says:

He forgot “heal the sick”!

124. SeriousFan09 says:

Montreal? Hot Prospect? Pressure? Bah! Can’t imagine that.

Subban does work at an advantage compared to most of the competition with a strong AHL campaign, NHL playoff experience and a lot more conditioning to give him an edge over his fellow rookies for NHL-level play. Only competition with any measure of real pro experience are McBain, Carlson from their own AHL campaigns and Paarjarvi-Svensson, Johansson from the SEL and those two will have to adapt to NA ice.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

125. HabFab says:

Cedrick started last season like a rocket but had faded after the first half with Sanford taking over as the go to guy.

You know that I love you moi frere mais sometimes you do get hung up on the name…non!!

126. K-hab25 says:

Judge I’d like to introduce exhibit A – ^. Wow it’s the intelligent posts like this one that makes our relationship so special. The great buggy, all off his rocker, over little ol’ me. :-)

127. Mr-T says:

Whoa…That is prophetic.

Going to be a great ride this year my friend. We are going to be fighting near the top of the barrel most of this campaign.

I know him, he is well grounded in life. He works for every inch.

130. saskhabfan says:

Then why didn’t he win the conn smythe and why did he get outdueled by a 3rd stringer who faced more shots then he did every game of the flyer series?

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

131. Mr-T says:

I presume you are referring to both intellect’s above you. L/V

Support Carey Price            “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

132. saskhabfan says:

You can blame the guy for hiding his back problems and making a phantom code that no other enforcer in the league follows. You can also blame bgl for stealing the money he recieved from the buyout. He lied to everyone saying he was going to play again this year in the nhl. Then after he gets bought out he retires. He had no intention of playing again. His buy out should be nulified.

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

133. saskhabfan says:

Retromikey is an idiot. He also likes to call people “gay stalkers” if they don’t agree with his posts. Personally i think he has issues,probably doesn’t get out much or have any friends.

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

134. ooder says:

its very very very odd in my opionion

how every single topic, every single thread, every single day since 2 years ago has mentioned how Carey Price sucks.

i mean really.. i don’t remeber the last time i came on here and haven’t read:

Price sucks

PG is stupid

JM is old

——————

88 is the new 23

135. avatar_58 says:

Playin this NHL11 demo…..oh my god – Markov in a leafs jersey???? I think I threw up in my mouth a little..

136. coachdoug says:

CP’s other option if the hockey gig does not work out…

“Six more years…God Bless You Turtleneck Man!”

137. cautiousoptimist says:

Good news: Karri Ramo’s .913 save percentage is good for 17th in the KHL.

Bad news: Martin Gerber’s .914 is good for 16th.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  138. Corio says:

Another thing, I find it a little absurd although I understand the motivation behind it is the fact that Guy is suing.  Is it not enough that he was acquited?  Now he has to sue which will inevitably cost tax payers.  I see he wants to do it in order to regain his name or something but it just seems a little arrogant to me..

139. Chuck says:

He’s also played the third-most minutes in the league with a very respectable GAA of 2.11.

140. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Every single thread,  every single topic?  It’s pretty bad here I agree but it’s not that bad.  I don’t focus on individual players, I like focusing on the team dynamic.  After all it’s a team game it’s takes more than any one player to win games.

141. Mark C says:

According to Esko Seppanen, a writer for a Finnish Sports Mag, Ramo is planning on coming to Montreal’s camp next year with the goal of winning the number 1 job.

And he said also that he is going to compete for Montreal’s number one goalkeeper position next fall”.

Here is an English translated article: http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.urheilulehti.fi%2Fjaakiekko%2Fnhl%2Fpaivan-kuuma-nhl-suomalaisnimi-%25E2%2580%259Dasetan-tavoitteeni-montrealiin%25E2%2580%259D&sl=fi&tl=en

“But of course this is the Montreal-feels good thing, because it is the world’s greatest hockey city”

142. derfab says:

Be the Captain or walk the plank Markie!

character is derfab destiny.

143. mrhabby says:

the plucky little habs place 8th re: Hockey News.

144. derfab says:

That would be a delightful turn of events, allowing us to move Price for a real hockey player. As I’ve said many times, he is a fine goaler but I don’t think he wants to be here, I don’t think the players will go to war for him and it wouldn’t surprise me at all to see someone like Ramo, given the opportunity, outshine him from the get-go.

character is derfab destiny.

145. cautiousoptimist says:

Good point — I’m not knocking the guy, just saying that if Gerber and Robert Esche are ahead of him in save%, the level of competition in the KHL can’t be what it is in the NHL.  Like Desjardins, he’s also at an age where he’s probably just starting to hit his prime.  Way too early to tell if this is a good trade or not — I figure it’s the same kidn of crap shoot Gauthier went for when he dealt Latendresse for Pouliot.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  146. Mr-T says:

It’s procedural law. However it is just a frivolous lawsuit.

147. joshua94k says:

Interesting article on the four pillars of the Montreal Canadiens.

“You can’t lean on your stick as a goalie unless the puck is at the other end of the ice,” – Ken Dryden

148. mike g says:

Sooo….who’s interested in a HIO hockey pool this year?

We can do it on ESPN, with trades and an online draft, etc…It’s free and a ton of fun. The only thing we have to choose is if we want a classic style pool with everyone competing strictly for points, or if we want weekly head-to-head matchups in which you accumulate wins and losses in the standings…

Anyways, we can figure it out later. Just wanted to see how many of us would be interested.

Let me know, I’ll fix it all up.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

149. Robert L says:

Comments below on Guy Lafleur’s case and acquittal begs the question whether some commentors here can understand what they read at all, whether they in fact read the article in whole, or simply formed an opinion due to the nature of the case.

Three points stand out from the Gazette article.

“The Court of Appeal, however, faulted the Crown prosecutor for showing no evidence that Mark Lafleur was compelled to stay at his parents’ home. In fact, as of July 6, 2007, the rehab centre changed his conditions so that, with its permission, Mark Lafleur could spend the night elsewhere.”

“The evidence is clear,” the ruling said, that the halfway house never told Guy Lafleur it had changed his son’s residence requirements.

“A witness’s role is to answer questions, and one can hardly blame him for not mentioning an event if the question is not posed,” the ruling found.

Now as can be seen, Guy Lafleur in all this, did nothing wrong, nothing illegal, and surely had no intent whatsoever to sidestep the law.

If it may have been originally assumed by many people that Guy misunderstood the terms of what a curfew in fact is, consider that the former hockey player best knows curfews as being a time restriction, one that is imposed on players when they are on the road and not at home. For players, it is the time of the hour that is important, not location. Perhaps in Lafleur’s view, motels and curfews go hand in hand.

But again, Guy Lafleur was never asked that particular curfew question until confronted with the motel room receipt evidence at which time he completely owned up, almost matter-of-factly, in light of the view that he felt his son was permitted to stay elsewhere.

On the concerns and issues involving his son, the moral questions in bringing a younger girl to a motel, and the charges against him….let’s all take a deep breath and put ourselves in the shoes of the persons involves.

The young girl, first off, was of legal age, and secondly, there were no court orders against Guy’s son preventing him from being in the company of a female.

Lafleur’s son Mark has a long history of issues and illnesses going all the way back to his birth, and complications that arose from it. Long story short, Mark was treated, perhaps ill-advisedly at the time, with drugs and such that left a trail in his life. It’s terribly unfortunate, all that has happened.

In sum, I don’t think that anyone who hasn’t lived through this themselves is in a position to place themselves on a soapbox. Anyone who has seen Guy Lafleur’s DVD on his career and family life are better informed as to the type of hell the Lafleur family has lived through. I myself have yet to see it, having only reads accounts about it.

Furthermore, Lafleur’s lawsuits against police detectives and court prosecutors seem very legit. I doubt that it is the money of matter to Lafleur. The manner in which he was arrested is at the heart of this case. Guy Lafleur is not some hardened criminal, yet he was arrested in cuffs for some reason. Someone tipped off the media as well, and cameras helped turn it into circus of sorts. He was uneccessarily humiliated, as this could have been handled with much more subtlety and resepct.

Mark Lafleur did some awful things, and also had awful and unfortunate things happen too him. Nothing should ever condone the things he is charged with. Those sad things have nothing to do with what a great hockey player Lafleur is, nothing at all to do with the kind of man or type of father he is. Again, we should all take a breath and consider the multitude of circumstance in all this.

Who in this earthy life, does not have their own share own problems. We have all dealt with some very heady stuff at one time or another.

There should also be great compassion for the many victims invloved. With the father being a star hockey player, and this case being repeatedly trotted through court and front pages, I’m sure they all want to heal it up and get on with their lives.

I’m about the worst practicing Christian in the world and I’ve read no bible, but there’s this one quote something along the lines of ….”there, but for the grace of God, go I.” (Please, someone! I clearly need help on this one!)

We all judge harshly at times, do we not?

In a case such as this, it’s a good chance for us all to take a step back perhaps, consider how human we all are.

Respectfully, I will not comment on replies to this posting. It is not to upset or to debate with anyone that I thought to put this here.

It’s summer, we all miss our games, and it’s time to cool off now.

150. Mattyleg says:

I’d be in on that.

The Yahoo pools are good too.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

151. SeriousFan09 says:

Pencil me in for a spot.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

152. Bugs says:

That should be good for a laugh. Can’t wait!

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

153. Mark C says:

Count me in.

154. Bugs says:

He also couldn’t crack the Tampa line-up.

Tampa.

Let that sink in.

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

155. Bugs says:

Was gonna say something goofy but…that’s actually pretty cool.

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

156. Mark C says:

I too prefer athletes to be deferential to those ahead of them. Couldn’t he have just said he was hoping to win the back-up role?

In all seriousness, if this means he’s sincere about coming back over, all the better.

157. Mark C says:

the daily double

158. derfab says:

Right on good man. Lafleur was unnecessarily cuffed, set up for the media and humiliated. in other words his rights were ignored. Anyone that doesn’t see this has the moral development of a (not very bright) 13 yr. old and should stop watching cops and robbers shows.

character is derfab destiny.

159. pic1983 says:

Really bugs? You’re still bitter about this?

Its Cedric desjardins for Kari Ramo for cryin out loud! Two nobodies!

160. Chuck says:

He couldn’t crack the Tampa lineup. As a 21 year-old. Let than sink in.

161. Chuck says:

Exactly. If either Desjardins or Ramo had to figure heavily in the Habs’ fortunes, we’re in big trouble.

162. Chuck says:

Not Hab related, but I was at the ACC last night and noticed that their banner for the 1917-18 Cup win is credited to the Toronto Arenas… which is odd, because the team wasn’t known as the Arenas until the following season. You’d think that their historians would bother to to get a little thing like a Stanley Cup banner properly labeled.

163. GrimJim says:

….”there, but for the grace of God, go I.”

Close but it’s not a bible quote. It’s commonly attributed to John Bradford an English clergyman who reportedly said it at some point during his imprisonment between 1553 and 1555 upon witnessing some criminals being led to the gallows. The exact quote, btw, is “there but for the grace of God, go John Bradford”

164. notbigbird says:

Din’t sound like the Bible to me, so I look it up. John Bradford who eventually was burned at the stake, so grace didn’t last for him.

165. K-hab25 says:

Sweet, I haven’t done a fantasy hockey season before, but I have done fantasy baseball before and won my fantasy football league twice.

166. notbigbird says:

You may be right, but no pronouncements from me. Gotta see how this year works out. I think it will.

167. habaddict_andy says:

Going back and reading the posts is quite interest.  This was the signing of Subban a year ago.  The report was right on saying he will play in Hamilton, but who knew how good he would be in the playoffs.

It was also a little over a month that Bob would clean the veterans and add new faces.

168. SeriousFan09 says:

Pretty much why I have refrained from commenting on the whole affair. It’s not a black and white issue and the acquittal of Lafleur had very little to do with what his son was doing that resulted in his own trial.

I can’t blame a man for going to the wall for his son.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

169. Bugs says:

Yet, we prefer the NON-French-Canadian that we DIDN’T develop out of the two.

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

170. G-Man says:

Lafleur lied directly to a judge and received nada as punishment because he is famous. Now, he wants a $3.5 million apology for being a liar. He and Brian Mulroney are now lumped together- judicial liars.

171. Mark C says:

Haha, there are a few gems in there.

“In my opinion, Subban is way overrated, his mouth does more yapping than his play on the ice. I am not sold on the kid, he’ll be a work in progress in Hamilton. I’d trade him in a heartbeat to some team while his stock is high as a junnior player.”

I think he’s being hyped up way too much. He’s not a blue-chip, can’t-miss prospect. It would be a surprise if he turned out to be a top-pair defenseman.”

” I’m still not sold on Subban for the reasons you mentioned. Like Mike Green, he is all offense, no defense. He has lots of time to grow, but right now, he’d be nothing more than a PP specialist. Luke Schenn is going to be a stud, shutdown guy.”

The always bushy tailed and bright eyed Timo added this: “Now let’s just hope they don’t ruin Subban.”

172. B says:

Guy Lafleur is one of my all time favourite Habs. That said, I believe that his lawyer got him off on a technicality due to the wording rather than the intent of the court ordered curfew. I do not believe the intent of the curfew was to allow Mark while at his parents’ home during a weekend leave from a halfway house to spend nights in a hotel with a 16 year old girl. It is not uncommon that a person with the means can find a lawyer who can get them off on a technicality. As for Guy’s actual intentions, only he truly knows what they were. I would not claim to know what his intent “surely” was or was not, but here is another quote from the Gazette article:

When Lafleur was responding to questions from Quebec Court Judge Robert Sansfacon and did not mention the two weekends his son spent at a hotel, there was “at least a reasonable doubt” he was trying to mislead the court, the ruling found.

“reasonable doubt” does not sound like “surely” to me.

While it may not be illegal for a 22 year old to spend the night in a hotel with a 16 year old (who in my opinion is a child), it is just creepy and does not seem right to me, even without factoring in Mark’s history. I would not condone my 22 year old son spending nights in a hotel with a 16 year old girl. I certainly would not want or agree to my 16 year old daughter doing that. Some may not agree with me on this, but we are all allowed to have and to post our opinions on such things. Certainly, most (all?) of us have done things that are wrong and that we had to deal with, but that does not excuse them or make them any less wrong.

Lastly, I respect your opinion even if I don’t agree with it all. I will not stoop to questioning if you can “understand” or “read” just because you may not share any or all of my opinions. We are all equally entitled for form and to post here our own varied opinions, comments and feedback (at least up to the point that the moderators will allow it).

173. Maffu says:

I’m interested. Yahoo’s is very good, also faster loading than ESPN’s.

The head to head is better IMO, makes it more realistic that your team is playing their team.

____________________________________________ Rename the Bell Centre the Bell Forum, ASAP.

174. Rob says:

oh bugs.  you know….xenophobida goes both ways

175. Bugs says:

Up and down or side to side?

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

176. mbplekfan says:

PK went down to Hamilton and totally dominated that league. His plus minus was ridiculous.

Usually adding a graduating player is an exercise in patience while that player adjusts to the more sophisticated game in the NHL.  PK stepped right in and provided a top pairing defenceman. Sure he had a few rookie mistakes but overall was a huge addition to our team.

Its rare that a team can add a potential all-star without giving up anything. It has been a long time coming for the Habs.  The team got better with just this one addition.  If PG offered up PK for trade every team in the league would bid.

When opposing coaches do the greaseboard in the dressing room prior to playing the Habs PK will feature prominently.

177. SeriousFan09 says:

Kind of funny when you think about it, now because of PK our expectations for all our other top prospects (Avtsin, Leblanc, Kristo, Tinordi) are going sky-high, P.K. owes them an apology for raising the bar ;)

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

178. K-hab25 says:

What does him being french have to do with anything. He played in HAMILTON, not Montreal. Though it shouldn’t matter either way. I’m sorry, but this french thing is stupid. Both my grandfathers are of french ancestory, but I could care less if the people on my favorite hockey team are. I live in Sacramento and I’m a Kings fan. I could care less whether the players are from Sacramento, or California, or the US, or if they speak a word of english. The fact you do care so much about players speaking your language, or being from your ancestoral background, is disturbing. Please, spare me the it’s part of the teams uniqueness and the culture of the city. Montreal isn’t the only unique city or culture in sports.

179. HabFanSince72 says:

Same old Habs I/O.

180. Mattyleg says:

Who says a normal person wouldn’t have been judged not guilty?

I’ve seen things like that happen before.

First-hand.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

181. Mark C says:

Yes he does. For me this highlights the need to be patient with prospects. Some will turnout better than we could have ever hoped, others will never make it. But it will always be silly to make definitive statements about players before they even reach the NHL.

182. volcano62 says:

I know lol

183. Bugs says:

Yes. Yes, this “french thing is stupid”, Kabbie.

Nice in California, is it?

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

184. habaddict_andy says:

From the same guy who said he was overrated (sorry mikey).  “I’d rather hire a defensive coach or advisor come from another organization such as Bruce Driver for example.”  Maybe this time the management listen to your post.  ;)

185. pic1983 says:

Hard to take anything you write seriously when you talk like your opinions and interpretations are godsend and everyone else is misinformed or an idiot.

186. JIMVINNY says:

A normal guy wouldn’t have received the benefit of the doubt that folk-hero Guy did.  He would have faced public condemnation for enabling his violently criminal progeny.  And the uproar following his acquittal and subsequent lawsuit would have been akin to a witch hunt.

187. SeriousFan09 says:

I always tack a 3-year minimum onto any prospect Montreal has making the team, anything after the 2nd round I immediately add an extra year. In 2010, you should be planning for your 2013-15 needs.

My optimism is Avtsin-Leblanc-Kristo for the Habs in 12-13 but I know the team could wait another year for that as well and that’s assuming all 3 work out the way we want them too, Avtsin adapts to NA ice, Kristo signs his contract next year and Leblanc goes injury-free in the Q and is ready for the Dogs next season.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

188. K-hab25 says:

Why yes it is!! Ohh and ya it is nice in California, it’ll be 85 today. Thanks for asking buggy.

189. K-hab25 says:

Good ole retro, says Subban is overrated and that trading Desjardins was a huge mistake. I sure am glad he isn’t part of the decision making process.

190. mbplekfan says:

If 2 of the 3 you mention make the NHL that would beat the odds.

I would say Avtsin is the closest because he played in the KHL.

Kristo is very good at his current level but its a long way to the NHL from where he is.

Leblanc is playing major junior and is miles away.

191. B says:

I believe that anyone with the means to retain top notch lawyers could have gotten off on a similar technicality. It happens all the time. I do not believe that it would have received much media attention as is the case when it involves a famous person such as Guy Lafleur.

192. Mark C says:

Using a 3-year track seems reasonable, as far as using it to project an NHL timeframe.

I agree, the forward triumvirate (the UN line) will likely be knocking on the NHL door in 12-13.

193. K-hab25 says:

He’s not a 25 year old french canadian Chuck, don’t you get it. Hell if Carey Price were french canadian, buggy would’ve packed Halaks bags and drove him to St. Louis, instead whining for 2 months straight over the trade.

194. ProHabs says:

That is funny that the comment that makes the most sense is Timos.

195. B says:

Today in the Gazette:

Hockey great Guy Lafleur walked out of a Montreal courtroom acquitted this week; no criminal record, no limit on travel to the U.S. or overseas. A three-judge Court of Appeal panel ruled that statements Lafleur made in court in 2007 left at least the possibility of doubt: maybe he was not trying to mislead the court. So his lower-court conviction for perjury has been quashed.

The result was “a double delight” for Lafleur, his lawyer said, and we don’t doubt that. In theory, perjury can earn a 14-year jail term.

The decision, and the sordid circumstances involving Lafleur’s son Mark, will have ignited countless water-cooler arguments yesterday. Was this a case of celebrity “justice”? Or was it the normal product of our impartial, impersonal machinery of justice?

In 2007 the Canadiens’ great told a court, under oath, that Mark, on a weekend pass from a drug-rehab centre, had spent the nights at the Lafleur home. In truth Lafleur had driven the young man, then 22, to a hotel to spend two nights with a 16-year-old girlfriend.

The court has ruled in its legal sagacity, which we understand to be greater than that of the lower court, that this was not actually perjury.

Fine. But we won’t be nominating Lafleur as parent of the year, nor as anybody’s role model. Mark was at the time on parole after pleading guilty to 14 charges in connection with a previous girlfriend, including assault, forcible confinement, armed assault, making death threats, mischief, and theft. Why not set the lad up with a 16-year-old for a private hotel weekend? What could possibly go wrong?

Guy Lafleur’s legal status is again unblemished. That might delight him, but he also needs to know that many of the fans he thrilled as a player will never be able to think of him again in quite the same way.

196. SeriousFan09 says:

Retromikey seems to be more of a Bulldogs fan than a Canadiens fan anyway.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

197. otter649 says:

And the correct name on the Stanley Cup Banner would be………..

He did unfortunately what most Dads would do, try to protect a troubled son. We were all young and we all screwed up at times. But we all grow up eventually and become productive.

I would have loved to have had a dad that would have gone to the wall for me when I was trying to figure my way around.

Yes Guy broke the law but loving Dads know why he did. It was Guy’s call at the time and he erred.

It is hard enough to walk in your own shoes, But those of you that think you can walk in others shoes are scary.!

199. Corio says:

Surprise, surprise, you can’t prosecute one of the hockey gods..

200. madcap_habsfan says:

i think so, there’s a video of subban and cammy battling it out for a puck, fun to watch :)

201. namgel says:

GUY GUY GUY GUY !!!!!!

He is as slick off the ice as he was on.  God bless him he was … is and will always be my Hero !

202. soperman says:

I hope that he can straighten out the boy without appearing on Dr. Phil or Jerry Springer.

_________________________________________________________________

“You want to keep weening de Coupe? Then sign zee great Pew-sie!”

203. madcap_habsfan says:

loved this one, cammy’s comments at the end funny :)

204. habs33 says:

You’re welcome! There’s another video of Cami and PK doing corner drills one-on-one here.

GO HABS GO!

205. makka83 says:

The problem here is, if it was any other dad, he would have been convicted. No one is arguing that what he did was out of love for his son, we are arguing that it is not fair that a famous person can be prosecuted differently (better or worse) based on their reputation in hockey or otherwise.

The law is written for a reason but it seems that it’s not applied to some people.

206. RetroMikey says:

If I were the father of that girl, she definitely would have a curfew.

What the heck is a 16 year old doing with an older man anyway?

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

Man made laws are made to be judged and ruled on in a court room.

Extenuating circumstances are argued and then ruled upon. Nothing is black and white in the court room. I know first hand how to do battle in court. When you feel you are right you fight and win.

208. HabsTrueBlue says:

Well he actually was convicted but acquitted on appeal. Do you really think the appeal court (edit) was swayed by Lafleur’s fame? I suppose the average person would be less likely to commit the resources to pursue an appeal…

209. habaddict_andy says:

Good point.  Although laws are no doubt essential to society, they are not god given laws.  They were made by men to keep justice among people.  They can be challenged in keeping perspective in some cases there are some exceptions that occure under circumstances.  I hope I’m making any sense here.

210. RetroMikey says:

Well said Ian, you die for your kids as my father would do anything for me in a heartbeat.

As a father of 2 kids as well along with my beautiful wife, I would die for them as well.

Guy broke the law but he did it for the love of his son.

No crime there.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

211. B says:

Apparently Guy lied in court about his son’s where abouts after having twice driven his son, who was supposed to be at home under a court-imposed curfew, to spend the night in a hotel with a 16 year old girl. The same girl who Lafleur’s son was previously arrested for uttering death threats, forcible confinement assault and sexually assaulting as a minor.

If that is true, I wonder how you would feel about it if you were the father of that girl?

212. Habsone says:

Great to hear Guy Guy!!   It shows that you love your son!!

213. HabsFanInTampa says:

Justice was not served in this case. The Flower broke the law, plain and simple.

214. NightRyder says:

Can you detail your legal background so we can designate the appropriate weight to your comments please…

215. yathehabsrule says:

Happy to see Guy acquitted, but I had to laugh a bit when I heard his attorney say his client was “a man of few words”.

Clearly he has not heard, or read his client’s comments on the Habs in the past 2-3 years.

___________________________________________

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

216. Corio says:

The decision came down to preferential treatment, like some one else said, any other father would of been prosecuted..

217. NightRyder says:

He was prosecuted. Your point?

218. _Habsoloutly_ says:

He was prosecuted,  you obviously do not have a clue about what you’re talking about.   Par for the course here at H I/O.

219. NightRyder says:

GUYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

220. Bugs says:

In unrelated news, the entire Quebec Court of Appeal receives season tickets at the Bell Centre from anonymous donor.

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

221. JIMVINNY says:

Nice one, bugs.  My favorite for today.

222. derfab says:

Lafleur poised to take over for Martin…details at 5:30pm……..character is derfab destiny.

223. ABHabsfan says:

I am glad to see that Guy is not going to jail. I don’t think there is any doubt that he has made some ill-advised decisions but he stood up for his son, and that is commendable, more dads should do the same. Guy has been my favourite Hab since I was a little kid, and now as a cynical, middle-aged (almost) realist, it still would have been tough to see my child-hood idol go to jail. Right or wrong, Guy is still GUY!

224. Mr-T says:

He was not going to jail. He recieved a suspended sentence plus a $100 fine and had to donate $10,000 to a rehab centre. He was acquitted only because the trial judge erred in his decision presuming that Lafleur knew that his son was to stay at his home. Although there was no evidence to support that Lafleur was aware of this or that these conditions even existed. Therefore the court was unable to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that there was intent on Lafleur part to mislead the court in the opinion’s of all three judges.

Support Carey Price         “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

225. nick says:

His son, Mark Lafleur faced 22 charges including; assaulting and sexually assaulting a 17 year old girl, and threatening to kill her afterwards… Those are parking or jay walking tickets… Those are some serious charges.  If that was my daughter, family member or friend, I’d want to see everyone involved serving time regardless of who they are…

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for stepping up for family and all… But theres a fine line between bending the truth and telling different stories to the courts. Thats perjury, any way you look at it.

Guy got lucky on a technicality. Thats it, thats all. And now he feels entitled to 3.5 million of the tax payers money. Now thats classy.

226. G-Man says:

Yeah- more dads should get out there and help their commit statutory rape. Bunk.

227. db says:

Before you all jump on this name thing… it was the previous judges fault for not explaining what he meant by curfew.  The LaFleurs “thought” it was in reference to time and not location.. and were never told otherwise.

Basically they got off on a technicality, so they hired the right lawyer.  This happens all the time…

228. Puck Bard says:

Well said.

229. light_n_tasty says:

Yeah, that makes sense…

Judge: “Your cerfew’s 10:00″

Lafleur Jr.: “Great, I’ll be at my date for 10:00!”

Judge: “I think you misunderstand, you see, your cerfew’s at 10:00, so…”

Lafeur Jr.: “And tomorrow, I think I’ll go to the 10:00 show!”

Judge: “Yeah, but your cerfew…”

Lafleur Jr.: “Hey, next week, maybe I’ll go to the strip club.  Don’t worry, I’ll be there for my cerfew at 10:00!”

Judge: “Do you even know what “cerfew” means?”

Lafleur Jr.: “Yeah, it means that I’m fine as long as I get there for 10, right?”

Judge: “…….”

230. nightmare_49 says:

Offer Sheets – Taboo or Too Expensive ? …  by Bob Wage / Raw Charge

Marc Staal, Bobby Ryan, Carey Price, Sam Gagner. Andrew Cogliano, Peter MuellerPatric Hornqvist, Bryan Little, Paul Ranger, and Steve Downie are available.  Are any of them worth a first rounder or two?

Read more:  http://www.fromtherink.com/2010/8/17/1627863/offer-sheets-taboo-or-too-expensive

231. HabFanSince72 says:

Most of the teams that could afford the top players on that list have no cap space.

The only exception is the LA Kings with $12M left and 19 players signed.

232. Puck Bard says:

Got no problem with Guy getting special treatment. Justice bends.

233. mike g says:

Because I wasn’t involved in the case, I like the judegement…

Dropping the charges on Guy saves us a bunch of days of reading and hearing all that law bs about how he will be punished and the black eye this gives the Habs in the eyes of some. So for that reason, I’m happy.

But, if I was once found guilty for the same exact thing as he was let go for, I’d be really pissed that he got special treatment.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

234. SeriousFan09 says:

And they have to plan around a long-term extension for Drew Doughty, likely kicking him to 6-7 million a year after this season is over so they’re not likely to be too adventerous there.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

235. HabFanSince72 says:

What is interesting about the capgeek stats is that about a third of the teams in this league have no intention of incing a competitive team. They go into the season knowing they have no chance.

236. pic1983 says:

And thats why the NHL should contract.  Id say by at least 4 teams.  Less operating losses, means more overall revenue.  Less teams means the talent pool is less watered down, means better hockey, which hopefully means more fans, which should in turn mean more revenue.  If you have that many teams with internal budgets significantly lower than the salary cap, theres a huge problem.

Now, if only bettman didnt have so much pride…

237. db says:

I think the cap and dumb GMs are watering down the league. Look at all the 2-4 mil guys sitting waiting for jobs right now… look at all the money spent by teams.  It’s rare to find a team without a bad contract on their hands.  Too much of the money’s been tossed around, it’s like they don’t understand the term cap.  Then there’s the agents… don’t get me started..

238. G-Man says:

Too much money for too few players. Leaves middle of the road players out of the mix- you’re either making $5+ mil or $550K- the in-between is shrinking.

239. K-hab25 says:

Kinda like the economic situation here in the US, most of the money goes to a very few.

240. habs33 says:

Wasn’t it only a couple of years ago that Gomez was doughy and showed up to training camp overweight? My how things have changed! Cammy and Gomer are really giving it their all.

GO HABS GO!

241. habstrinifan says:

Thanks! Thanks! Thanks  Man!

That video uplifted my spirits. I wanted to thank you and then go back and watch it all and will watch it many more times over the next while. To see Cami and Gomez working so hard to prepare for the upcoming season. And I have read that Subban also works out with Cami. It seems as if Cami has taken Subban under his wings. Wonderful.

Their dedication makes me excited for the upcoming season. Just one of those fans who admits to the huge ‘feel good’ approach to my day that players like them bring to my life when I see their commitment.

I cant wait to come home and sit in front the TV and just live the thrill of watching the habs led by these type players .

I cant thank them so I say Thanks again to you for the link.

242. nunacanadien says:

Trust me, a small tyke like that could use every pound, in fact at camp they should be pumping these small guys, they may not skate as fast but hey, those extra pounds on a low centre of gravity, then you’d have Bouillon!  Heck Gomez could learn lessons from Bouillon~!

243. JIMVINNY says:

Gomez looks absolutely shredded in the one close-up they did of him.  Way bigger than I remember.

244. Say Ash says:

That was inspiring – I’m gonna hit the gym this afternoon.

Was that Subban in the blue helmet?

245. Rob says:

fantastic!  That was the one thing i was hoping, was that Gomez would start working out with Cammy in the offseason, as i knew Cammy was a beast when it came to training. Hopefully Cammy is showing him some of his unique puck control drills, and shooting drills as well.  It was obvious, watching Gomez miss a lot of open chances last year, that these kind of offseason drills are exactly what Gomer needs to be doing in order to recapture his form of old.  Exciting to say the least!

246. Mr.Hazard says:

And now he’s suing us taxpayers (indirectly) for $3M, because he could use more money I guess.

“We didn’t give up and we are not giving up.” – Jaroslav Halak

247. joshua94k says:

Et la premire etoile, Guy Lafleur !

Guy Guy Guy !!

248. madcap_habsfan says:

i think that would make for an intense rivalary and could be a h e double hockey stick lot of fun :).

i’m sorry i didn’t notice it! :S

249. punkster says:

Uh, ya sure. So 5′ 11″ is a tyke to you? And Frankie’s career stats stack up against Gomez?

Think before inserting your foot in your mouth.

FREE TIMO!

250. Jordio-oh says:

Gomez and Bouillon weigh the same, or close to it, depending on your source.

its like you’re trying your hardest to be a moron.

251. Omit says:

Jordio-oh

Trying his hardest?  It all comes naturally to some folks.

252. Bill H says:

The only thing missing from this Lafleur scandal is a connection to a goaltender, either currently with the team or with the Bulldogs.  Imagine the arguments here on HIO if the girl in question was Price’s sister.  Or if it turned out Lafleur Jr. was dating family members of Halak and Price at the same time.  Then we’d really have something to argue about.  That one alone could take us clear to training camp. [/sarcasm]

253. derfab says:

Roy’s son was shooting the video.

character is derfab destiny.

254. Mr-T says:

Instigator…”Incendiary” proposition at least for a couple of hours. Lot’s of idle time this morning I presume.

255. derfab says:

Not that it matters very much but re. Ramo: Isn’t a .913 save%in the KHL (a shinny league with little d-men who can’t hit)rather impressive?

character is derfab destiny.

256. mike g says:

Honestly, nothing is impressive about the trade…

Everyone in this city is making a huge deal about it for nothing. We traded a career minor-leaguer for the exact same thing. Tampa needed a goalie for the AHL because Ramo was in Russia. We have way too many goalies, so we basically gave them a player that will never reach the NHL, so that he can fill a void in their minor league system.

But still, everyone in this city thinks that we got ripped off, or that we traded him because he’s french and we don’t want Carey to get pressure from the french media, or that we don’t know how good he is and GOD Guy Boucher and Jesus himself (aka Yzerman) got Desjardins for peanuts and now he will become the next Dryden..

No people, move along,  nothing to see here. Completely insignificant trade involving two 4th string goalies.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

257. B says:

Click on the %Sv column header to sort by save%

258. derfab says:

But isn’t the .913 pretty good?

character is derfab destiny.

259. mike g says:

In the NHL i know it is, but I have no clue about the KHL…

I’ver never seen a game of KHL hockey. Maybe the goalies get limited shots, and most of them from the perimeter. Or maybe he was on a stacked team…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

260. Mr-T says:

Good summation generally speaking but with unneeded characterizations.

261. derfab says:

I’m with you on that one, though I suspect that it’s more of a shooting-gallery type game where guys have all kinds of extra time to wind up and blast it. Probably more challenging for a goaler than the AHL, which emphasises discipline and D.

character is derfab destiny.

262. derfab says:

Kinda reminds me of that lame old jesus nailed to the boards joke.

character is derfab destiny.

263. pic1983 says:

Thank you!

264. derfab says:

Thanks. I noticed Esche and Gerber in the very same ballpark. Just turned 24, decent back-up stats, no?

character is derfab destiny.

265. B says:

Michael Garnett, a mostly AHL level goalie before the KHL (who did manage 24 NHL games for Atlanta in 05/06), had a better save% and GAA than Ramo last season. It can be hard to directly compare the NHL to the KHL, but here is some more food for thought: Former Hab
    Marcel Hossa (remember him?) led the KHL in goal scoring by 8 goals last season, yet he could not manage more than 10 goals in the NHL.
    Pavel Brendl, a 4th overall pick but a bust in the NHL, is also high scorer in the KHL now.

266. derfab says:

pro sports is a cruel world. I remember Marcel as a very skilled, big kid who got hurt and the Habs gave up on him.If he led that league he couldn’t he probably find a spot on a third line in the NHL?

character is derfab destiny.

267. pic1983 says:

Hes not a third line type player.  A lot of people forget that certain players need a lot of minutes to get into a rhythm and produce.  Do you think crosby would be producing the same pts/minute played if he played third line minutes? I doubt it.  Plus, why play third line minutes in the nhl for third line salary, when he can play first line minutes closer to home for first-line money?

Role players have to be players that are suitable to that role.

268. G-Man says:

Just legal tomfoolery to let a famous person get away with it. Shame on those judges, because Guy Lafleur had a LAWYER, who would explain in detail all of those “conditions.”

269. Corio says:

Umm no he wasn’t sizzle pants, he had a suspended sentence which basically means he got nothing.  I wonder how it would of transpired if he was judged in Ontario instead..

270. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Uhhh yes he was.  Stick to hating Crosby, your grasp of the situation is weak.

271. madcap_habsfan says:

Ok, so I know what he did for our team back in the day, he was incredible but this verdict makes me more then a little sad, he broke the law plain and simple , yes he may have done it to protect his son, kudos to him for family loyalty but no matter what he means to quebecers and the city of montreal he should have had to pay for  giving contradictory testimony no? thats just what i think

madcap—–Responce to your last post

I posted this in June.  Madcap!

Boucher Might End Up Coaching Quebec City In The NHL

posted by Ian Cobb at 10h15 EST on Jun 8

Watch Out for when the Lightning moves with Lecavalleir, St. Louis etc. to Quebec City in a year or two!!!!

I
    attended a couple of games in Tampa this year, and believe me, if there
    were not any tourist fans at the games, the place would have been
    empty. This is the first franchise in the south to move north, unless
    Phoenix gets to Winnipeg first.

So Boucher and his staff will be a big part of the Habs & Quebec City revived hockey wars soon enough.

Remember Betman has already said publicly that Winnipeg and Quebec is where any transfer would take place first.

Remember, you heard it here first!

273. habs33 says:

Amen! I think the “good enough is good enough” culture of Kovalev is long gone from the dressing room. Gone are the days of just getting by. I’m glad a veteran like Gomez is pushing himself so hard in the off-seaon. Hopefully this’ll translate into on-ice success (or at least less blown chances).

Anyone else know what the other Habs are doing for off-season training? Yes, yes, I heard about Carey’s calf roping and no I don’t want to hear another crack about a bottle of Jack Daniels and 6 cigarettes in his mouth…

GO HABS GO!