Flower acquitted by Quebec court

Canadiens legend Guy Lafleur has been unanimously acquitted by the Quebec Court of Appeal of
giving contradictory testimony at the trial of his son, Mark Lafleur.

1. yathehabsrule says:

Gilles Gilbert was in goal for the Bruins in the “Too many men” game.

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

2. notbigbird says:

Stop it. I’m getting giddy.

3. Xtrahabsfan says:

HH ,PLEASE  take it easy on  THE FLOWER…….I’ll never foget that slapper past Chevers….it was falling down Great!

4. Habsone says:

So why do you use it???

5. SeriousFan09 says:

Adding on to this, some sweet remembrance of the Habs bringing the pain in the playoffs from YouTube…

Montreal-Washington Montage

Montreal-Pittsburgh Montage

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

6. PeterD says:

Sorry I got mixed up on the Akost picece…let’s try again…

And a Carey price Piece…55 shots and 53 saves against Nashville…we lose but the kid did alright…

7. punkster says:

Thank you.

Thank you.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

That Cammy sequence was brilliant.

8. Duracell3 says:

Miso Campo is now 23, pretty sure oshawa is 23. Even if she was 20, there is a huge difference in 16 and 20, legally and otherwise.

Also, the argument that anyone doesn’t understand what a curfew is outrageous. How he got off on that, even with who is is, is bewildering.

9. PeterD says:

lately there has been a lot of negativity on htis site…so lest we forget…these two videos may help cheer folks up a bit …come on training camp and the regular season…

Cammalerri hat trick…

AKost hat trick …

10. punkster says:

All well and fine for you, but if he trashes Dave Keon in any way I gonna, ohhh, I don’t know what!

11. B says:

I don’t agree with generalizations, but that aside, there were comments posted like:

No crime there.

Extenuating circumstances are argued and then ruled upon. Nothing is black and white in the court room.

Come on. He was only looking after his boy. Isn’t that a father’s job? It’s not like he did something to hurt someone

GUY GUY GUY GUY !!!!!!
    He is as slick off the ice as he was on. God bless him he was … is and will always be my Hero !

12. notbigbird says:

Amazing. We’re all smarter than any GM, and now we know more than the judicial system too.

13. ooder says:

this is a hockey site, and i think articles like these cause way to much moral arguments on  here.

i mean we freak out when our AHL backup goalie got traded…

stuff like this can just put things way out of control

88 is the new 23

Forced. Whoring. It’s all semantics.

Fluffy creamy puffy. What can I say. George Harrison was my favourite Beatle too.

16. oshawahabsfan says:

Yes because this model is clearly being forced to wear a Montreal Canadiens jersey in a provocative pose…

17. notbigbird says:

You’ve got to be kidding. Won a few fluffy scoring championships, he did.

Yet you have no issue with posting an avatar with some-one’s 20 year old daughter whose legs are spread wide open suggestively with her Habs jersey pulled down enough to hide the goodie she’s so cleverly hiding.

19. oshawahabsfan says:

I think I would have an issue with my twenty-two year old son, going to a hotel to spend the night with a sixteen year old girl, maybe it’s just me

I always liked Lemaire (the player) better, felt Lafleur was over-rated and over-hyped.

Lemaire was a total bad-ass. Always showed up for the play-offs. Scored those crucial amazing game turning around goals. Lafleur, apart from burning Cherry’s Bruins in the fame too many men game, was all fluff.

A creamy cup-cake fluff ball smoking cigarettes between periods.

21. New says:

Different young lady, different place, different time. Only association is the court ordered curfew for the earlier incident.

22. TomNickle says:

A father protecting his son?

Ummmm…….Guy’s first mistake was driving his son to spend nights with the girlfriend in a hotel after he’d been in court over his relationship with her to begin with.  Guilty or not guilty, if my son has been accused of sexually assaulting a girl, the last thing I’m doing is driving him to go spend the night with her, especially knowing that I’m assisting him in violating a court order.

So yeah, the poor Guy arguments don’t fly with this Hab fan.  His son wouldn’t have needed protecting if he had been a good father in the first place and told his son no, you can’t go see her and I will not allow it.  Or you know, saying, hey son, you do know that you’ll be breaking the law again by going to see her?

And yeah, lying in court is a crime regardless of what province you’re in.  Just because this happened in Quebec doesn’t mean that it doesn’t happen all over the World, and it certainly does.

23. Mr-T says:

I believe the basis of the appeal was that the trial Judge did not consider that Guy Lafleur was under the impression that the curfew applied to the hours not location, therefore there was no intent to mislead the court, in that his statement or answer was not inconsistent to the question thereby making it argumentative to perjury. The Judge concur.

Support Carey Price         “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

24. HabFanSince72 says:

Hear hear. The only acceptable prejudice on this site is one aimed at the Toronto Maple Leafs.

(And  CBC Sports – their Pravda.)

25. Favorite Son says:

Yeah, besides, everyone knows westerners are major stoners… :p

26. _Habsoloutly_ says:

good post,  100% agree.

27. RJB says:

Bwoar, nobody here is saying that the Flowers son was innocent or without fault, nor is anybody saying Guy was without fault. What is disgusting is your generalizing of the Quebec people and their culture. Painting all of Quebec with one brush is not only doing the majority of great citizens that live there an injustice, it is also racist. Stop sounding like a bigot, this is no place for that kind of talk. Nor should any website or discussion harbour such talk.

28. Mr-T says:

Do you live in a cave or have cognitive dissonance from a conflict of being obtuse and displaying such ignorance. That lawyer definitely missed his opportunity in becoming the next Edward Greenspan.

29. Danno says:

Perjury is not a goofy law exclusive to Quebec. The penalty for lying in court is severe and should be.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

30. Mattyleg says:

Yeah, that’s pretty rich.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

31. Mr-T says:

That is rational thinking to the highest degree and he will be the elasticity of resilience in a tough environment,a tangible attribute, although innocuous to the opposing team. Of course not to be confused as an apparition of Ron Hextall.” A wise investment indeed.”

Support Carey Price         “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

32. bwoar says:

My apologies, you are right. Of course people in Quebec who read this blog who care for the safety of women.

33. SeriousFan09 says:

Pretty much every ex-player who dumps on the Habs in the media was on the wrong end of a playoff series with us in the last 30 years.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

34. gloveside says:

I read it up the part where he said that Kessel was on his way to being “one of the most productive goal scorers in NHL history.”

Is there no more delusional creature on the face of the earth than a Leaf fan?

35. old fan says:

Obvious good news for Lefleur -being a “westener” I’m happy to see he beat one of Quebec’s “goofy” laws that allows a two-bit prosecuter to try and make a name for himself -hopfully he is fired immediately for costing taxpayers thousands for nothing !

36. christophor says:

Kelly turned the Big M — Frank Mahovlich — into one of the most productive goal scorers in NHL history. Kessel is on his way to becoming that, and might get there quicker with Kaberle in place as his centre to aid him.

37. HabFab says:

Love your new column, keep them coming!!

MRYTLE!! Where is my gosh darn sandwich?

38. Propwash says:

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

39. otter649 says:

Ferraro never liked The Habs especially when he was with The Whalers whenever it counted in the playoffs such as in 1986 & 1989 – The Habs would win and The Whalers went bye bye………..

40. _Habsoloutly_ says:

That was a good read. Yet another blunder by the genius Burke.  The Leafs have to have the most overated defence corp in the NHL.  I really don’t see them going anywhere this season. The sad thing is it hurts us by helping out Boston.

41. joeybarrie says:

I’ve seen Price come out of his net to win the puck. I gotta say he is pretty tough himself. I don’t know about a dime a dozen, but if Price does get hurt, there are alot of options right now.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

42. madcap_habsfan says:

awesome post 🙂

-“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” Chuck Palahniuk

43. habs4eternity says:

must have been his 1st game of the season, because every other game he was pulled.

44. Say Ash says:

The Nashville one was ridiculous, too.

45. avatar_58 says:

Ferraro is a clown. It’s funny how easy it is for him to judge WAY up there. Hits from behind happen all the time, it doesn’t mean he tried to injure the guy. He’s such a biased little wimp. When I was listening to his tired on Lapierre I came very close to wanting to turn off the TV

46. ProHabs says:

Goalies are a dime a dozen. If Price gets hurt this year, the team can just go out and sign Ray Emery for a month. He can be our goalie and add some toughness to our team

47. avatar_58 says:

THIS is what I’m talking about. This was such an effing demoralizing loss. He did everything but get out there and score. I have faith he can become our man

48. nightmare_49 says:

laffs GM Burke has a fine blueline mess on his hands – by Allan Muir / Sports Illustrated

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/allan_muir/08/17/kaberle.maple.leafs/index.html#ixzz0wtnDqBnu

Word on twitter is that Willie Mitchell is auditioning for the Capitals today.

49. habaddict_andy says:

Elaborate?  I don’t follow them enough to agree or not.

50. nunacanadien says:

I wonder, with the Ramo issue, we traded for another goalie recently who did not sign in Montreal, who became an unresticted free agen, Dan Ellis, this makes me wonder if Gauthier had plans for Ellis to replace Halak?  And Ellis just didn’t pan out?  Anyone know anything about the Dan Ellis situation?

51. mike g says:

That’s the game that made me hate TSN…

While I do think they are the mecca of hockey coverage in Canada, I think they’re just a bunch of friendly little losers. The way Ray Ferraro repeatedly insulted Max Lapierre was disgusting. It was the most unprofessional thing I’ve ever seen on television.

He just sounded like a fan of the opposition, sitting in his basement and watching the game while complaining about everything. It made him look dumb, stupid, and to a certain extend it seemed like he had a grudge or just dislikes French-Canadians. I got that feeling and I’m an Anglophone, so immagine..

If TSN had any ballz whatsoever, they woulda canned his a*s that very same night following the game. Apart from always being annoying, sounding like a frustrated fan, and referring to his mediocre playing days, he’s just one unpleasant person to listen to.

Ray and Glen Healy are just a bunch of grumpy a-holes who shouldn’t be on television.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

52. NightRyder says:

How is he immune to the justice system?

He was arrested, prosecuted, subject to all kinds of public ridicule from dullards like you who probably don’t even know the particulars of the case and you probably assume he’s guilty because you’re jealous of his celebrity and assume wealth alone allowed him to skate on this.

The process ran its course and three judges acquitted him. Where’s the problem there?

All of the initial media reports breathlessly said things like “hockey legend faces jail time” when anyone with a pea brain knew at worst he’d get a token fine.

In today’s 24/7 blogosphere, where credibility and accountability means nothing, everyone is always guilty until proven innocent.

Even then, you clowns don’t let the facts get in the way of a good hate-on.

53. nightmare_49 says:

Habs Off Season Analysis: The Defence – by George Prax / Hockey Independent

Behind the Scenes on Kaberle Deadline day:  DGB

54. Les Habitants says:

Come on. He was only looking after his boy. Isn’t that a father’s job? It’s not like he did something to hurt someone.

I agree that athletes shouldn’t be above the law but this is different, this is The Flower were talking about, its GUY!!!

The last time the leafs won the cup it was still just a bowl!!

55. BJ says:

Nothing sad about this. He’s a good guy who loves his son and rightfully tried to protect him, a win for the people. You want gangsters and real criminals look to Washington, Ottawa, the judicial system, the banksters, military industrial-petro chemical complex.

56. B says:

Does that mean you would be cool with a 22 year old man who was previously arrested for (among other things) assaulting a prison guard and sexually assaulting a minor spending nights in a hotel room with your 16 year old daughter?
    I know that I would not want my 16 year old daughter any where near a guy like that, let alone spending nights in a hotel room with a creep who appears to have a thing for children.

57. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Gimme a break, it’s not like he fricken murdered somebody.

58. notbigbird says:

Got me laughing HH. Thanks. I guess I was a Lennon guy. We’re bound to disagree on everything, it seems.

59. j2c says:

I was just watching Carey in this game last season and if he plays like this then he will be just fine this upcoming season.

60. Kristopher7 says:

This is sad… he should of got something. Just because he was a good hockey player doesn’t mean he should be immune to the justice system, this is pathetic.

61. Say Ash says:

On top of Carey, I thought that was one of our best-played games last year. We had great transition and speed coming through the neutral zone – really going toe-to-toe with one of the best teams, not Martin-esque as I recalled at the time. Of course, Lappy had a brain-fart, but c’est la vie.

62. Muckbringer says:

“Lafleur, moving rather gingerly on the right side passes the law”

63. The Cat says:

Im picking Minny as a darkhorse this year.

64. punkster says:

Can’t…stop…giggling…another great one JD. Particularley love the Trix reference.

65. volcano62 says:

Flower Power baby!

66. habaddict_andy says:

By the looks of it, Guillaume will be wishing he was still in Montreal.  But the money he’s making is propably worth missing playoffs for.

67. mrhabby says:

his name…enough said.

68. habaddict_andy says:

Off topic, I don’t know if this has been posted yet.  At least THN is predicting Canadiens to make the playoff.  I wonder how far they will grade Canadiens though.  I still say we will challenge the division title.

69. JD_ says:

* Lafleur got his due process or, as Canada deems it, fundamental justice and got off. I’m about as cynical as one can be – I have witnesses – but why the presumption of special treatment? Why all the paranoia? Is everyone in Guy’s predicament sent off to do 5-to-10 of hard labour? Must be tough bein’ Guy Lafleur, or any Hab legend for that matter, knowin’ everyone’s assumin’ the moment you step in a courthouse, the scales of justice are swingin’ in yer direction while the rest of the world’s lowly peons are gettin’ scrooed over. In the interests of appeasin’ the tattered-bathrobe-and-a-momma-in-the-attic crowd, I suppose he should have made the followin’ statement at the openin’ of proceedings: “Your honour, although my name is Guy Lafleur and I look exactly like Guy Lafleur, I’m not really that Guy Lafleur, so don’t let that influence your decision, not that it would, kay?”

Next time I rob a bank, I’m havin’ Jean Beliveau do all the high-profile s***; e.g., wavin’ the gun, smackin’ the guard with said gun, droppin’ the chandelier with a few well-placed shots, carryin’ the bags of loot with the $ signs on ’em, etc… Toss in a little special treatment and we’re off to the races.

* Burkie on not movin’ Kaberle: “We could have made a bad deal. We didn’t want to do that.” Students of subtletly will note how the ol’ GM didn’t just simply say, “We didn’t want to make a bad deal,” but, rather, chose to explain that he/we could have made a bad deal but chose not to. See, in Burkeoff’s world, makin’ a bad deal is always an option; it just comes down to whether or not to go with that option. This philosophical treatise is further explored in my upcomin’ book, “F*****’ Blowhard Couldn’t Manage His Way Out Of A Wet Paper Bag: Conversations With Brian Burke”.

* Further from the same Burkie article by the Sun’s Steve Simmons, “Yesterday, this [the Mopey Loafs] was a challenged hockey team. Today, it remains just that.” Now, by challenged, I think Steve specifically means…nah, this one’s too easy and I don’t do easy.

* Carey Price hasn’t signed. In other news, think I’ll make a sandwich.

* The Burkster on his defensive corps, “I’ll put that group of 1 through 8 against anybody in hockey. That’s as good as anybody’s got.” Loaf fans take heed, we may be on to somethin’ here. Seems Burkie might not be aware that NHL team rosters are 20-23 players. So, while bein’ keen on “1 through 8” is awesome ‘n’ all, it’s about a dozen players short of havin’ any hope of makin’ the playoffs. Silly Burkie, rings are for winners.

* You know, funny thing about Guy is that, when interviewed, he just doesn’t come across as particularly bright. Then again, Scotty Bowman sometimes sounds like a flat-out moron when a microphone’s in front of his face. Seriously. Then you’ve got the ever-articulate, think-on-the-spot Pierre McGuire, who I wouldn’t trust to run the skate sharpenin’ end of the business.

70. Mattyleg says:

That’s good news.

And for those of you who are crying because famous people get preferential treatment: Did you just arrive on this planet?

Who cares? There are plenty of other injustices in the world to moan about, like why your chai latte isn’t warm enough, or why your property tax is so high in the suburbs.

Good news for my first hockey hero.

—Hope Springs Eternal—