Flashback feature: Bruins’ O’Reilly and his great fun vs. Habs

1terry3

Yes, yes… it’s sacrilege to feature a member of the Boston Bruins here. But Terry O’Reilly is one of the greats of his team, currently the Canadiens’ playoff opponent, and it was O’Reilly, who was done some great charity work in Montreal, who was behind the Bruins bench in 1988 as head coach when Boston ended a 45-year playoff drought against the Habs.

I had a great talk with O’Reilly in 2007, and he looked terrific a few days ago when I saw him again in Boston, the Bruins’ pre-game flag-bearer and honourary captain for his old team’s Game 2 match against the Habs.

Great stories, great history – as is usually the case with players of his generation. Enjoy the read below… or skip to the next post if you must.

Published March 12, 2007

DAVE STUBBS
The Gazette

One of the most popular Boston Bruins of all time will set off a Logan Airport metal detector on his way here later this month. But that’s something the indestructible Terry O’Reilly has been doing for two years, since he had his battered hips replaced with titanium joints that have dramatically improved his life – if not his skating.

“I hope all the Canadiens keep their heads up,” O’Reilly said with mock menace of the March 30 Bell Centre game between Montreal and Boston alumni.

And then he laughed.

“You know, so they won’t run over me. I’ll be the wearing the orange sweater, marked like a pylon so they can go around me.

O’Reilly never won any skating contests during his 13-year NHL career, all 999 of his grinding games from 1972-85 played in a Bruins jersey. But he was an unholy terror especially on Boston Garden ice, a rink a few feet smaller than today’s regulation 200 by 85 feet.

He ruled the boards, the corners and often the goal crease, and was adored for his Irish blood and lunch-pail work ethic in a blue-collar town that expected dirt beneath the fingernails of its heroes. His No. 24 was retired in 2002, as much a tribute to what he meant to his fans in Boston as to his team.

So, soon O’Reilly will return to this city with a dozen former Bruins for a few laughs and the serious business of raising money for the Montreal Canadiens Children’s Foundation.

“With the new hardware are a few disadvantages,” said this Bionic Bruin, a 55-year-old native of Oshawa, Ont. “I don’t have the mobility or agility or speed of before.”

More laughter.

“I’d have fared better if I hadn’t been a goalie from age 8 to 12, and skated a little more. But I’m pain-free now, and the day after I skate, I feel no discomfort. The hips weren’t done just so I could play old man’s hockey. I was having trouble walking.”

O’Reilly spent two weeks in Birmingham, England, undergoing surgery and initial rehabilitation. He returned home in a wheelchair, moved into a walker, then leaned on two canes, and finally one. From there he was on a stationary bike, on skates and, last summer, 18 months after his surgery, he took part in a two-day, 309-km charity bike ride.

You loved this man if you were a Bruins fans during his day. You loathed him if you cheered for any other team, because he was the guy crashing your goalie or smearing the face of your best player along the glass, even if he usually was penalized two or more minutes for the gesture.

1terry2

O’Reilly was sentenced to 2,430 minutes in the penalty box – the equivalent of 40 1/2 games, or virtually half a season. He was so at home in the local sin bin that when they demolished 70-year-old Boston Garden in 1998, they gave him the entire box, bolted onto a wheeled platform that he can roll out of the Bruins’ TD Garden, where it’s on loan for display. O’Reilly has hauled it on a flatbed to a few of his charity appearances.

Fans got to know him well around the league. Almost against their will, they came to like the guy.

“It was a passionate hate, at first,” O’Reilly said. “But as years went by, I’d show up for an exhibition game in the fall, get a penalty, head for the box and the season-ticket holders behind it would be smiling, yelling: ‘Hey Terry, have a good summer?’ ”

His rap sheet should not totally overshadow his good skills. O’Reilly scored 229 times and had 444 assists, including a 29-goal, 90-point season in 1977-78, and was plus-212 for his career.

But still, that legendary Irish temper:

On Dec. 26, 1979, he climbed into New York’s Madison Square Garden crowd, followed by his team, after a Rangers fan stole Bruin Stan Jonathan’s stick and clubbed him with it. O’Reilly was suspended eight games for his mountaineering efforts.

And 25 years ago next month, he slugged referee Andy van Hellemond, who jumped him as he pursued Quebec’s Dale Hunter in Game 7 of the Adams Division final to avenge a Game 6 spearing by the Nordique.

The series was lost to Quebec, Boston down 2-1 with two seconds to play and the faceoff in the neutral zone. O’Reilly recalls: “I’m just thinking: ‘OK, I’m gonna get this guy.’ ”

But his chase of Hunter was intercepted by van Hellemond, who surprised O’Reilly by hauling him down by the sweater. The Bruin jumped up and swung, his right gloved hand connecting with the referee’s left temple. A 10-game suspension was accompanied by a $500 fine.

“Today, that’s 40 games,” O’Reilly said. “Andy was wrong to grab my sweater, but I’d take back (the punch) if I could. I wish it hadn’t happened.”

He has few other regrets, including having turned down a four-year St. Louis University scholarship in 1969. He was drafted in 1971 by the Bruins in the first round, 14th overall, and was in the NHL after one season in the minors, captaining the Bruins his final two years.

Failing to beat the Canadiens in four playoff attempts broke O’Reilly’s heart. But he coached Boston over Montreal in the five-game 1988 Adams final, eliminating the Canadiens at the Forum. It was the first time Boston had ousted Montreal in 45 years.

1terry4

“You’d be striving to win the Stanley Cup, then come up against the great Montreal machine,” said O’Reilly, whose name was never stamped on the NHL’s sterling prize.

“Even coaching – nine seconds left in that final game against the Canadiens, with a three-goal lead, and I’m looking at the clock, saying: ‘There’s still time. They can still come back.’ ”

The Bruins fell to Edmonton in a five-game Stanley Cup final in ’88, after having beaten New Jersey in seven to advance.

Today, O’Reilly is busy in Salisbury, Mass., in real-estate and other businesses. He remains a monstrously popular Bruin, one who understands he might struggle in the modern NHL.

“If I came along now, with the same set of skills I had at age 20, I’d be a long time, if not forever, buried in the minors,” he said.

“It’s not the same hockey it once was. I just watched a 1960s Stanley Cup game between Detroit and Toronto, the wingers moving up and down the ice like on a table-hockey game.

“Here’s Gordie Howe backing into Johnny Bower, knocking him into the net. So Gordie drops to his knees and helps Johnny up, dusting the snow off him, apologizing. In a playoff game.”

He did not add that if this forward was named O’Reilly and not Howe, Bower would still be on his Maple Leaf butt.

1terry1

1. Say Ash says:

Man, I still can’t stop thinking about that Game 4 in 2011. Up 1-0, up 3-1, up 4-3, and then Ryder.

DO NOT LET THAT HAPPEN AGAIN FFS!!!

2. Maritime Ronn says:

Luke says:
    I kinda feel bad for CPL a little…
    ———————-
    Not to worry.
    ‘Former’ (for now), Habs National Anthem singer Charles Prevost-Linton has found a side gig singing the Anthem at some place called Taverne Normand on Mount Royal Street in Montreal.

3. DD says:

The clown that Boston uses to sing has to be the worse anthem singer I’ve ever seen. Of course, to that bunch of Neanderthals, it’s all about the fist pumping at the end. They probably mimic the move in showers after all the home games, and with Lubitch’s penchant for zeroing in on the crotch area, it can’t be pretty.

4. ffenliv says:

According to the Bruins GDT on HFBoards, Soderberg wasn’t on the ice for practice, and, naturally, someone else was in his spot for line rushes.

• shiram says:

Dunno if it’s related but there’s this :
      Mark Divver ‏@MarkDivver

Matt Fraser has been recalled by Boston from @AHLBruins for Game Four. Justin Florek returned to Providence.

• ffenliv says:

Well, perhaps those two are just trading spots on the ice, or in the press box?

The lines posted on the GDT over there show a lot of re-mixing of the lines.

Can’t say it makes me too sad to see that. In game one they went up one side of us and down the other. I’d rather they never put those lines back together, ever!

5. D Mex says:

@ CJ / Mavid / any posters who have been around the Senators :

I was talking with one of my sons’ lacrosse coaches recently and it wasn’t long before the conversation turned to hockey and money. He is a financial investor and suggested I google Wade Redden’s name to see what was there re : career cut short due to (alleged) drug use. He spoke as tho it is certainty, but I know that Redden is a family man so the word ‘ alleged ‘ is very important here.

Anyhow, I was surprised to see current Bruin Andrej Meszaros mentioned online in the same context as he and Redden were teammates in Ottawa years ago. Wondering if anyone can add some context to these reports – ?

For all their warts, this really doesn’t strike me as something the Bruins would be associated with (?) Redden didn’t last long with them, and NYR moved him to the AHL as we all know. Curious whether there might be substance (no pun) to the rumours.

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

6. howiemorenz7 says:

Stub Hub – $12,500 tickets still available for tonight. I mean I like Ginette Reno as much as the next corpse, but that’s a little dear.

Maroons Suck. #7 foreva.

My bold prediction. The team that scores the most goals and lets in the fewest will win.

8. youngwun says:

Vote pk subban nhl 15 cover guys!

9. ffenliv says:

The only question I have before tonight’s game is: who’s doing the Canadian anthem?

Is Ms. Reno back for another go-round?

10. Sportfan says:

Funny video with Subban and Gallagher

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

11. Maritime Ronn says:

In playoff hockey, there is nowhere to hide when playing a team over and over again.

The weakest link – sooner or later, will always be exposed and a good coaching staff will exploit that.

No doubt the Bruins are a good team, yet their weak link is beginning to get exposed.

The belief from here before the series started, was that the Bruins Bottom 4 Dmen were very vulnerable.
    If somehow the Habs could challenge in the neutral zone and pressure those 4 Dmen when Chara wasn’t on the ice for 33 minutes, there was a chance to steal the series.

Krug, Hamilton, and some combo of Bartkowski-Millar-Meszaros were given many accolades during the season, yet a lot of that had to do with an excellent ‘Group of 12′ forwards and the system/familiarity.
    Adding to that, was a .930 SP Vezina nominee cleaning up and camouflaging several defensive zone errors.

Due to injury or moving on via UFA, the Bruins are starting to dearly miss the veteran experience of Seidenberg and Ference.
    It’s clear for all to see when the Bottom 4 panic and start running around in the D zone with any little pressure.

During last year’s playoffs, Seidenberg was the #2 minutes man for the Bruins Dmen and also played 1st Unit PK.
    Ference was the #3 minutes man and played 2nd Unit PK.

Yes, Dougie and Torey are offensive threats…and that was because of how the Bruins dominated the neutral zone and played a lot of hockey in the O zone.
    The very responsible forwards (Bergeron) covered for their glaring bad decisions and defensive miscues.

That’s how the Habs can win this.

• Totally agree. Losing Seidenberg and Ference is huge, and defence wins championships. I don’t think their bottom four is weak, but they’re certainly not near the top of the league.

I had worries about our own defence for that reason — with a bottom pairing consisting of some combination of Bouillon-Weaver-Murray-Tinordi. I was wrong — the first three have been excellent in the playoffs, and the fourth is a great insurance policy. I was concerned about Emelin too, and he’s been okay.

Devils coach Jacques Lemaire on the Daneyko-Kaminski feud – “Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.”

• Le Jadester says:

Good Post Mr. Ronn !

I hope the coaching staff can exploit their weakness’ as well.
      I think tonight comes down to….. a) we are gonna take the game to them even more than on Tuesday nite or b) they’re gonna try something different that will catch us off guard ?

Either way, I expect like everyone else, that they will come out tonight with all they got, running the $hit outta everything and everyone ! Whoever has momentum in tonight’s game, wins the series IMO ?

Wondering if its “panic button o’clock” for them ?

Habs, OLE !

• krob1000 says:

In a nutshell you just explained to everyone why Tinordi and Beaulieu are sitting in the pressbox right now.

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi krob

Those young fellas will be fine…starting next year.
        Just an opinion here, yet I believe the Bruins 12 would have turned them inside out – especially Beaulieu, and that may have done incredible damage moving on.
        Here’s trusting GMMB

• Ron says:

Good afternoon Ronn. Hope all is well today. I’m sitting here counting the hours before puck drop. Keep the faith bro..

12. bwoar says:

@Storman

Great post below – “I wanna new thread”

100% agreed, this sucks on game day. Leaving until the GDT is up.

• Storman says:

Thanks bwoar, just a horribly timed feature to wake up too on game day, This is game 4 playoffs against the hated Bruins,, did we run out of great Habs to salute with a spotlight feature,,

Really do not understand the timing of the OReilly post by Stubbs.

I have to keep leaving site and coming back hoping HIO has changed this very poorly timed thread.

13. Newf_Habster says:

So who will be refereeing tonight?

14. adamkennelly says:

enough – time to get that f-ng picture off HABS inside out

15. DipsyDoodler says:

A pernicious notion has been making the rounds that the return to Molson ownership and the appointment of Marc Bergevin has “righted the ship” of the Canadiens. This is a rewrite of history that makes Communist Russia history textbooks look like Thucydides.

1. The ship was righted by George Gillett and Bob Gainey. When they took over the Habs were a sorry mess, missing the playoffs more often than not, and haemorrhaging money.

2. Gillett is the one who restored pride in the bleu blanc rouge – which had been lost as a result of the previous disastrous management. (OK the Canadian dollar going from .60 to .90 helped.)

3. Bob Gainey, as GM, took a team that had missed 4 of the 5 previous post-seasons. The first team he built finished first in the Eastern Division in 2008.

4. The mess Gillett inherited was the Molsons’ doing (OK the $0.60 dollar helped). The 2nd Molson Dynasty started in 1977, and they took the greatest team of all time and turned it into a train wreck. It was the Molsons who hired crony Irving Grundman as GM and drove Scotty Bowman out of town. Grundman’s only experience in sports was managing bowling lanes.

5. It was the Molsons who promoted Rejean Houle from beer salesman to GM. The notion of a Molsons heyday is on a par with the idea that Rob Ford is a prudent manager of his city’s finances.

6. And finally, Gainey/Gauthier/Timmins’s second team is what you see now: Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Eller, Gorges, Gionta, Emelin, Bournival, Moen, Gallagher, Desharnais, Bourque etc … are all theirs.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• Luke says:

Shockingly, as you point out, this team is the result of a series of events over many years by many members of the organization. Some old, some new. Some still present, some long gone.

All contributed, in part, to this team as it is currently compiled.
      All made some gaffs, all had some successes.

I will take up a point, though, you say:
      Gainey/Gauthier/Timmins’s second team is what you see now

Which, IMO, is as dismissive of the current group, and contradicts the argument you are making about the impact of the previous.

This GGT second team, is a result of the work of GGT and the work of the current management team together.
      It does not exist in a vacuum. The successes of GGT above, are certainly being impacted by MB’s teams deadline acquisitions and MB’s cap management (Max’s ridiculous contract, the room provided by PK’s bridge etc).

Basically, I agree with you, Dipsyster, to a degree.

• DipsyDoodler says:

I wasn’t trying to dismiss Bergevin and co. I think Geoff Molson is a terrific owner, and Bergevin has greatly improved the team.

—–
        Moving. Forward.

• Luke says:

(Dismissive was probably the wrong word. But I couldn’t think of a better one. Sorry, I’m dropping into a sugar-crash-coma after my good-luck-fancy-coffee).

• halifaxhab says:

Here here.

Uncle George and BG definately built the foundation needed to get us back from the brink.

I love Barry Manilow .

-Scotty Bowman

• Gainey and Gauthier did some things really well, and he was the right man to start the rebuild. There’s no denying they mismanaged some valuable assets, losing them for nothing, but they also made decisions, as you point out, that have been huge for the team’s success.

But Bergevin was the right man to continue the rebuild — favouring grit more than his predecessors did, hanging onto his draft picks instead of dealing them for quick fixes, making well-planned seemingly little trades with a big impact, vastly improving our pro scouting, and taking a chance on a deadline sniper to give his team a chance to win. Gainey/Gauthier weren’t the types to do that sort of thing.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Interesting post.

Perhaps wrongly, yet I always saw George Gillett as The Habs version of ( not as bad) Jeffrey Loria – just a short term owner, looking to maximise his return on an asset, with one of the best financial sweetheart deals ever in professional sports.

As for Bob Gainey, we’ll never know how he would have handled the Habs in the long run if he was totally and 100% focussed instead of having to deal with incredible personal tragedy that few could imagine.

• DipsyDoodler says:

I think Gillett did a lot of good things for the team. He sold because his other businesses were collapsing during the 2008 crisis, so I don’t think he was just in it for the short term.

—–
        Moving. Forward.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

It wasn’t a collapse, it was a cash flow problem… He had major assets, but not enough cash coming in to fund day to day operations. The Habs were his easiest asset to deal (while still making a tidy profit).

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Maritime Ronn says:

Mr.M

…and that was as inevitable as off-oceanfront Florida property going down the tubes back then.
            It was funny back then of how he was hailed a Savior, yet almost none of the charisma blinded media did any due diligence.
            The replay of that was the 2008/2012 US elections…

• Luke says:

He sure seemed to love the team. Like, fo’ realz.

16. sweetmad says:

Reading all the remarks on the stretch pass,anybody would think it was a new thing,Pk has been doing it all season,in the first or second game he threw one to Rene who scored,he gave several to Rene but then he was being stopped,so PK stopped sending them to him.When Patches got going,PK started feeding them to him,and he scored quite a few times on them.Sometimes PK would send them high sometimes low,some teams worked it out and didn’t leave Patches alone on the blue line,but a lot of the time you would see him there just waiting for PK to clear it to him,this has been a set play all season.On the penalty kill as soon as we get hold of the puck Pleks would move to the back waiting for a pass to breakaway.
    I don’t know why it is such a suprise to everyone,but I just wish it hadn’t been noticed so much now, it was quietly getting us a lot of goals throughout the season.Now of course it means that any team that is playing us will be watching for this,this means their D has to be aware and can’t get into the play in our zone,so I suppose that can be a good thing too.
    I don’t know if it was MT who thought this one up as a set play or it just happened,but it was really good while it lasted.
    GO HABS GO ALL THE WAY

• krob1000 says:

The amount of breakaways the Habs have been getting against both Tampa and Boston is at a higher rate than at any pointduring the season it seems. They are now dressing 4 scoring capable lines, they are using PK more and they have played 2 teams that rely on their defensie to jump into the rush. It is a combination of all of this that is making it a crucial part of the Habs success. If the Habs were playing a more conservative team it would go “unnoticed” as it would be just like playing any other team. The fact Boston has half of their D very unexperienced and the fact that they are all so invovled offesnively is opening a ton of chances….like I said, add in that at any point now there is someone on the ice to take advanatage of it rolling 4 scoring lines, addition of Vanek helped spread balance , and voila…you have this breakaway pehnomenon happening. The team is dressing pretty well its m

17. D Mex says:

HF 10912 asks (below) if Marc Staal is head hunting.
    Looks that way based on the 2 video clips provided, but isn’t this out of character ?
    Or … maybe he’s auditioning for a shot with the Bs ? :roll:

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

18. punkster says:

Going to the game tonight.

Let me know here if anyone wants to meet up and discuss the Excellence of Eller, the Power of Plekanec, or the Merits of Murray in person.

However, no fighting allowed as I’m known as a one punch wonder…hit me with one punch and I wonder where the heck I am.

Release the Subbang!!!

19. JF says:

A lot of comments suggesting the Bruins will ratchet up the physical play tonight and play on or just over the edge of dirty, and that they’ll get away with a lot of crap. If this happens, I hope the Habs will not react the way they did against the Senators last year, when we pretty much allowed those goons to get us away from playing our game. We ended up running around trying to out-hit them and getting pounded and plastered into the boards for our pains. Not to mention getting thoroughly beaten on the scoreboard.

Therrien and his assistants have shown so far in this series that they learned a lot from last year’s playoffs. In the first place, everyone is keeping his mouth shut; let the Bruins say whatever they want, the Habs are focusing on themselves and on the task in hand. Last year, both coaches and players got into a lot of trash-talking with the opposition, most of which ended up backfiring.

And on the ice, the Habs are sticking to their game plan, they’re staying disciplined, and they’re skating away from rough stuff and cheap shots. Therrien needs to make sure they’re completely focused on playing exactly the same way tonight. Let the Bruins distract themselves with dirty play. And if they take penalties for it, we need to capitalize.

20. Habs_Norway says:

I —- CANT—- WAIT !!!

______________________________________
    Say no to visors and sign Emelin for 10 years

21. Luke says:

Bruins Lineup change (marginal, to say the least).

From TSN:

The Bruins may be making some lineup changes to spark things up for tonight’s all-important game. The team recalled big, physical winger Matt Fraser from Providence on Thursday morning and sent Justin Florek back down. The 6’1, 200 lb forward played in 14 games this season with the Bruins scoring two goals and tallying two fights during his NHL stint.

My take away? 6’1″ 200lbs is “Big” now?

22. Mr_MacDougall says:

Prediction: Habs score a beauty early, place erupts..

Price makes 2 magnificent saves…

Rask let’s in a softie.. Place erupts

Bruins take cheap shots..

Habs score 2 PP goals 4-0 after 2..

Lucic runs Emelin and misses, gets concussed, career over…

Chara Xchecks Gally, Murray choke slams him at centre ice aka Undertaker, preparing for Tombstone Piledriver when Plek steps in and says “no sir-E Bob”

Price stops the puck behind the net with 10 seconds left, puts it into his own net on purpose because “shutouts are for pansies”

13-1 Habs.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

23. Luke says:

Chris, (If you are about), I saw that report you filed on the Guelph game… that was quite a shocker!

24. Say Ash says:

Does Boone have a bad feeling about today? can anybody confirm?

• Storman says:

From early this morning first post of this thread.

I have a good feeling Boone has a bad feeling which is a good thing,, Boone’s bad feeling is a good thing for me to poop on.

Too many Milan Loosechicks or Boone bad feelings to poop on, will leave you with a bad Tukka Rash,

25. Mr_MacDougall says:

Imagine this, Kings vs Habs final… PK pulls an Eric Desjardins sith a hatty.. doughty an illegal stick.. Price robs Richards and gives him a wink… Only this time game 5 is at home….

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Luke says:

Aaaaaaaaaaaand here’s the jinx.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

No, no..

I said imagine… Imagination can not cause a jinx.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Luke says:

I’ll check the unwritten rule book. Let me get back to you.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I forgot the most important part of the imaginary scenario… Darryl Sutter decides to rock the “Melrose Mullet.”

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Luke says:

I’m having a really hard time reading this unwritten rule book.

So I’m just going to make something up.

Ummm… I think it sort of implies that you probably have to fight Shawn Thornton, MacD. But only when it is beneficial to him or the Bruins.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Hmmm , I have a dental issue ;) and must wear a full cage.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

26. Hobie says:

As much as I’d love to see Douglas Murray grab Shawn Thornton after he bumps Carey Price and start throwing hay makers, the Habs have to stay in control.

I’d be shocked if the Bruins don’t come out tonight and play dirty and aggressive. I still can’t understand why they haven’t in the first few games? I didn’t expect them to cross the line but rather be right at the line. They haven’t even done that. Weird.

• Kooch7800 says:

I think the Bruins don’t want to give up an PP chances as the habs are doing well against them on the PP this series.

They are starting to become unglued. I have a feeling if the habs stay composed tonight they should have an advantage on the PP and they have to capitalize

• shiram says:

They have been doing some thuggery, but the Habs are just not answering any of their shenanigans.
      And it adds to the Bruins frustration.
      I also think we could see escalation tonight.
      The refs need to be on top of things, but I don’t hold much hope.

And as Kooch says, they don’t wanna give up PP chances, as they mostly dominate the 5 on 5 play.

• FlyAngler says:

They will have to be pretty careful Hobie, because if they take a penalty early and the Habs convert, it could start a potentially irreversible shift in momentum and cost them the game- WHICH WOULD BE AWESOME!

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Who’s Shawn Thornton? Sounds like a Neanderthal.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

27. scrotchland says:

dont have a good feeling about tonight. I hope Im wrong but I think the bruins comeback starts.
    therians coaching will catch up with him and the losses will start. I see a lot of overconfidence in the habs and in a lot of expert posters here. the b’s are not done. bruins in 6.

Like the saying goes, “Never count your chickens before the henhouse door is latched.”

• krob1000 says:

“Therrien’s coaching” has been much different in the playoffs than in the regular season. His willingness to rely heavily on PK and conficdence in gusy like Eller, Briere, Bournival, Bourque and WWeise is allowing the team to do exactly what it was designed to do….roll 4 threateing lines and rely on depth. In the regular season it seemed many of those guys had their onfidence shattered and were in and out of teh lineup but at crunch time MT is doing waht is right and it is working.

• Storman says:

To prevent your hangover ,,,stay drunk..

• DAVE. N says:

Actually, I will count the chickens before I latch the henhouse door. I would hate to lose a chicken.
      This team is rolling 4 lines and the coaching has kept the line changes clean and timely. The players are taking 5 man unit positions every rush. Agreed The Teddy Bears aren’t done, but you are calling them to take it in 6. You actually think the Habs are going to lose 3 in a row?
      Better find your henhouse..

Save the planet. Compost a Leaf.

28. mirak2959 says:

Who would have thought a Bruin doing charity work in Montreal. Thanks for enlightening us. The only Bruin that I really despise is the president Cam Neely with his fist pumping. Maybe do an interview with him and ask him what he thinks of the HABS.

29. FlyAngler says:

The other interesting article in this morning’s Boston Globe is about Dennis Seidenburg’s recovery from ACL/MCL surgery and the fact that he is skating and “feels good”- there is no indication from anyone with medical credentials that he could return in this series or even in the playoffs and yet the article kind of raises the question.

The article is important because to date in the series, the Bruins young D has been their critical vulnerability- a vulnerability that the Habs need to exploit again tonight. Dougie Hamilton and Bartkowski have both spent time this season in the press box and Krug’s strength is clearly his offensive skill and not playing D.

The playoffs are the time when every team’s warts get magnified to the nth degree and the Habs need to exploit the Bruins inexperienced D while also trying to exhaust and punish their experienced D- Chara who apparently aggravated an injury in game 3.

Keys to success tonight:

1. Agressive fore check which pressures and punishes Bruins D
    2. More shots on Rask- he is not himself when he plays against the Habs and is susceptible to lapses.
    3. DO NOT REACT TO THE BRUINS SHIT!- Stay out of the box!
    4. Tomas Plekanec blanket coverage on Bergeron with D man support
    5. Hit the Bruins skill players (cleanly) and keep them off of their game.

Dictate the play to the Bruins in our building and refuse to allow them to dictate to us!

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

• DAVE. N says:

Agreed. Habs are in much better position because of the Bruins defense. If you replace the rookies with the injured veterans like Mcquaid who is a stronger positional defenseman, the Habs don’t get the sideboard entry.
      Chara may be injured, or just pushing too much ice time. Easiest way to put him out of position is get the puck in his skates as he heads to the corner. The long stick becomes useless.

Save the planet. Compost a Leaf.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

McQuaid is from Prince Edward Island.. I heard those people are charming, intelligent, and athletically gifted.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

Click here for Pictures and comments

We have the Molson hockey family owning our Hab’s franchise again.
    Geoff Molson repurchased the franchise and has reestablished old time hockey back to Montreal.
    He hired a quality GM with the help of Serge Savard. And each hire there after has been leaning toward the Molson corp. philosophy of business and old time hockey values.
    The game of skate with finesse and speed has come back to Montreal.!!
    Yes! The Hab’s are for real and back in town!!

Thank you Geoff Molson.
    Ian Cobb

31. Mr_MacDougall says:

I wonder….

If I was to say “Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice” right before puck drop would Chara appear in my living room and be unable to play?

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

32. Strummer says:

According to St. Louis Post-Dispatch Kirk Muller is among the candidates for the 2 assistant coaching vacancies with the Blues.
    Getting back on his feet with a top organization like the Blues would be a great kick-start for his comeback.

____________________________________________________
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

33. Luke says:

Going to agree with Cal (and a couple others) here.
    Nice piece, Stubbsy. Thanks for posting it. The photos are excellent.

For a site that does a fair share of dithering about how much the insiders comment on the Habs, or count the syllables when TSN or CBC are talking about them, one piece about an opposition great shoud be applauded.
    If you want more balanced coverage, this is what it looks like.

Man, I remember (and miss) when an entire segment of intermission during the home teams broadcast used to be spent discussing the other team.

• Storman says:

Timing of Stubbs piece sucks ,, the feature itself is probably awesome..after game 5 when we close out Bruins, I may even read it…

• Strummer says:

“For a site that does a fair share of dithering about how much the insiders comment on the Habs, or count the syllables when TSN or CBC are talking about them”

You hit that nail right the head!

____________________________________________________
      “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• mdp2011 says:

Sorry Luke, but this is not TSN or CBC, this is our sanctuary. It is a place where us Habs fans come to be with other Habs fans and bond over all things Habs and on our hatred of the Bruins, Leafs, Flyers, etc… It is our sacred lair, our clubhouse, where no Bruins, Leafs and any fans from other teams are allowed. It is also playoff time, and at this time of year, no fraternizing with the enemy.

• Chris says:

I will echo your sentiment. The indignation this morning has been humorous.

34. habfaninottawa says:

I think the Booins will be out to hurt someone tonight. The boys better watch themselves (and their nads). If Boston isn’t playing dirty hockey, then Boston isn’t playing hockey.

35. Storman says:

I hear John Wensink is in town I hope Stubbs does not plan another feature if he bumps into him tonight. Man it is game 4 against the Bruins,, timing of this piece is horrendous.

Stubbs I want a new thread

Stubbs I want a new thread
    One with no black and gold
    One with Bleu Blanc Rouge
    HIO and Gazette please get with the fold

Stubbs I want a new thread
    make this one go away
    One that won’t make me change web sites
    One that won’t make me fart all day

One that won’t make me nervous
    Wondering what to do
    One that wont make me feel like i need to go poo
    Poo poo poo pe doo doo

I want a new thread
    One that does what it should
    One that won’t make me see a Bruins story
    One that will make us feel bleu blanc rouge in all it’s glory

36. mdp2011 says:

Really Terry O’Reilly? Really? It’s one thing for Dave Stubbs to post his touchy feely stories on the Habs, but a freaken Bruin? And a Bruin who I despised growing up, really Mr. Stubbs? I feel sick. What’s next? A Mike Milbury feature???

37. Surely the referees see what Marchand is doing out there….why allow that crap!

Lots of PP’s tonight for Montreal, and then look out!

Shane Oliver
    @sholi2000
    A Little fun during the Intermission
    Brandon Predators

38. adamkennelly says:

those photos are awesome..its because of guys like him that this rivalry is the best in sports period.

39. DD says:

Although the Boston Globe article on PK had some realistic comments (not the norm) about his skill set, they can’t help but throw in a dig. Claiming that he ducked a train named Thornton, and how that breaks some imaginary hockey ethics rule. It makes me laugh. If our goon is too slow to nail your super star, than he should just stop and take it. It gets to the point where you want to tune out all the crap the supposed big bad bruins spout.
    Now let’s gets this straight, the Gooins never whine about the refs, Marchand never dives and cheap shots after the whistle is totally acceptable, it’s perfectly okay for Chara to jump an opposing player when he nails a bruin with a legitimate hit, it’s low-bridging when Emelin throws one on Lubitch (and he’s a coward) but a classic hip check when Bergeron throws it and finally, it is very manly for a 6’4″ so-called elite power forward to spear opponents in the ‘nads whenever he gets hit.

Maybe the league should have two sets of rules books, one for Jacob’s thugs and one for the rest of the league. Hold on…….

40. Strummer says:

TSN 1050 Toronto morning host Mike Richards and his side kick taking heat on Twitter from their Leaf listener base by declaring that if (and when) Habs get past Boston they will also beat Pittsburgh in the Conference final

____________________________________________________
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• Kooch7800 says:

Whoever wins this series will beat the Pens or Rangers. I watched part of that game last night night and was shocked at how different it was than the Habs Vs Bruins. Habs vs Bruins is a darn good series. The Pens and Rangers don’t have the depth to win.

I also think Crosby is hurt.

• Strummer says:

Bruins did a great job on Crosby last year in the playoffs.
        He can be contained.
        We also took care of him in 2010.

____________________________________________________
        “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• Luke says:

Spacek and the Hammer!

I remember thinking that pair was going to get decimated. And they hemmed in Crosby and Ovechkin.

Similar to the Red Wings back in the day (97 I think). Everyone thought Lindros was going to see a steady of Konstantinov lumber and all he got was Lidstrom/Murphy.

• DAVE. N says:

When we put down the Teddy Bears, we can play with the stuffed Penguins. IMO, the way Plecs and Eller are playing right now in faceoff as both ends of the ice, both Crosby and Malkin are in for some serious frustration.
          The whole key is there; frustrate the Centers, you limit the breakouts and forcheck.

Save the planet. Compost a Leaf.

41. rager says:

Beware, boston is coming in with a new type of game plan. If Therrien can’t adjust before the 2nd, we lost this one. No worries, players will re-adjust for game 5.

If Therrien can pull it off, tuska will get pulled…

My heart is already beating too fast. 10 hrs left, hope my heart can hold on!

42. CH Marshall says:

couldnt you feature OReilly on a non game day? sheesh

• DipsyDoodler says:

Or better yet, never.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• Strummer says:

Don’t you love when these Bruin alumni are on and we get to reminisce how we used to humiliate them back in the 70’s?

I love it!

____________________________________________________
      “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

43. 24AW says:

I’m waiting for the Habs 4th win until, I say nothing.

44. Ozmodiar says:

Predictions for game 4:
    – multi goal game for Patches
    – Tuuka gets pulled

45. Hobie says:

People were feeling concerned heading into the last game that the Bruins had the momentum after a big 3rd period comeback in the previous game. Michel Therrien grabbed the bull by the horns, rallied the troops and they got the job done. Impressive.

Therrien and the boys will be in tough again tonight. I think he can get them going again. Go Habs Go!

• Cal says:

MT has been nothing short of remarkable in the way he gets the team to play. Habs are not being out-coached. Out-whined sure, but not out-coached.

Sure seems that way, I think last years Ottawa series was a big learning tool. Yes we were injured, but our team got completely off its game and seemed to lose direction.

46. Ozmodiar says:

WTF is this?!?!?! A Bruins blog?!?

/ end thread, SVP

47. Cal says:

C’mon folks, don’t be whiny about a good piece by Stubbs. The place is Hockey Inside/Out now, he added rather wistfully.

48. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

After the banquet the bear is killed and eaten in an elaborate religious ceremony.

49. Paz says:

Maybe I’m a little “old school” but it’s freakin GAME DAY and the last thing I want to see here is a Bruin, any Bruin.

We can’t get any positive vibe going.

50. Butterface says:

My mother said if I don’t have anything good to say, then I shouldn’t say anything at all.

Didn’t we make Terry cry after a playoff series ?

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
    ***********************

51. Dulljerk says:

To me, this series with Boston will be remembered as the moment P.K. Subban became a superstar in the NHL.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

• Storman says:

This series with Boston will be remembered as the day P.K. Subban became a superstar in the NHL.

NHL playoffs are where the true superstars earn there ultimate stripes and respect throughout the league.

GO HABS GO

• Paz says:

A month ago there were posters questioning his hockey IQ on this site.

And just as we post today how good it is, others will post the opposite, it is the nature of this place. I find I can deal with various opinions in the morning better than evening. ;-)

• Luke says:

All or nothing Burly!

All. Or. Nothing.

Is player X a Future Hall of Famer? Y/N?

If Y: Take off the Habs coloured glasses.
            If N: You Hate the team. You fake fan. Go find a new team to cheer for. You never played hockey.

52. Paz says:

I think the CBC bought HIO overnight. O’reilly is a legend there as well.

53. Maritime Ronn says:

Some talk about Rangers Brad Richards-Rick Nash, yet how lousy has Marty St. Louis been for the Rangers since joining them?

Cap Hit next year: $5.625M

St.Louis has scored 3 goals in the 30 games he has played for the Rangers.
    In his last 8 playoff games, he has zero goals/1 point.

It’s not as if St. Louis has been given Danny Briere single digit minutes to play.
    He has played the Most Total Minutes of any Rangers forward in the playoffs

Playoffs: 19:29. 1st Unit Power Play
    Season: 18:29. 1st Unit Power Play

• Strummer says:

Broadway- where NHL careers flame-out.
      In addition to those 3 you mention just about every other high profile UFA signed by Glen Sather suffered the same fate.
      Why does HE still have a job?

____________________________________________________
      “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

54. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

We shall overcome the whining
    We shall overcome the spearing
    We shall overcome the embellishment
    We are not afraid of the bruin
    The whole wide world around with us

We shall overcome

Go Habs GO!!!
    Go Habs GO!!!
    Go Habs GO!!!

55. Strummer says:

Ryan McDonagh got a point last night.

He’s no longer Ryan McDonut.

Rick Nash is the new Scott Gomez- 0 -for -$7.8 million.

Bob Gainey may have an offer for him.

____________________________________________________
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi Strum

You have to wonder what’s up with Nash.
      1 goal in his last 17 games.

Then again, it’s also hard to believe that Crosby only has 1 goal in his last 15 games.

I guess funny stuff happens in the playoffs
      Rene Bourque has 4 playoff goals
      Benoit Pouliot has 3 playoff goals

• Strummer says:

maybe Nash played to long in a non-hockey market and he can’t shake that mindset in New York.
        Re: Crosby- Bruins did an excellent job of boxing him out last year in their playoff round so it looks like he’s vulnerable.

____________________________________________________
        “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

56. icemachine says:

Getting ready to head up the 401, can’t wait to rock out in the Bell Centre tonight!

Going to be only a few rows behind Rask for the 1st and 3rd periods, hoping to see that light come on a bunch of times

57. Habitforming says:

On the eve of a critical game 4 there is a thread with a old time Bruin featured?

Call me a homer but I don’t care how nice of a guy O’Reilly is/was/could be, I don’t care if he has done more charity work than Princess Dianna, and I don’t care if he saved a bus full of orphans from impending doom (ok, maybe a little on this one)

This needs to be ONLY about the Habs, current, past, or even future. I don’t believe in superstitions or Karma, but I can’t be 100% positive either.

THIS NEEDS TO CHANGE

• Strummer says:

In the words of Carey Price you need to “Chill”
      It’s nice to mix up the content- it keeps it interesting.
      This is an historic rivalry so these Bruin pieces are certainly relevant.
      Anyway threads are like the weather in Calgary…..

____________________________________________________
      “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

58. Cal says:

O’Reilly is one of the Last Warriors from the 80’s, as well as Nilan.
    The “new”game of 35-45 second shifts really has passed these guys by.

59. Maritime Ronn says:

This Gazette article has been matched by The Boston Globe Bizzarro World praise of P.K. Subban.
    Or is this Boston article a different version of The Boone Reverse-Reverse Jinx?

A few Excerpts:

” He is Pernell Karl “P.K.” Subban, and you cannot take your eyes off him.
    He is Montreal’s best player and he is the man who is thus far kill ing the Bruins in their conference semifinal series.
    He has thus far been better than (gulp) Zdeno Chara.”
    ——————————-
    Now this quote may require P.K Subban to change his name to
    Sir Winston Subban:

” ….Subban handled the controversy with rare dignity and professionalism.
    He was downright Churchillian.”

Then Shawn Thornton praising Subban?
    It doesn’t get more cookoo than this:

““He’s (Subban)doing a good job creating space for himself,’’ said Thornton. “He’s getting on his horse and getting back as quickly as possible.
    You’ve got to tip your hat to him.
    He’s playing a great series.’’
    ——————
    The groan you hear all the way from Boston are the passed on fans after this one:

” Red Auerbach would have loved this guy P.K. Subban.
    He is the total package of talent, guts, and guile, and he is only getting better.

“Frustrated Bruins fans no doubt would be calling for a Subban statue if he played for the B’s.”

• BriPro says:

Morning Ron,
      Quite frankly, I would rather see that article on here with an image of PK than a former Bruin, no matter is pedigree and social influence. That’s just bad karma. No….I’m not superstitious! Really!

I was coming on to ask if anyone has been watching the reasonable-facsimile of a series known as the Pens-rangers series.

Brutal……IMHO, whoever of the Habs-bruins series comes out the victor should have a free pass to the Stanley Cup final.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hi Bri

I thought I would look forward to the Pens-Rangers star power series, but it just doesn’t compare or even come close to Habs-Bruins.

60. Paz says:

No doubt Shutt is telling O’reilly how he would love to beat the crap out of him and all that jazz, but he’s been told by Scottie not to take any stupid penalties.

61. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

62. Paz says:

Is Risborough leaning his skate into O’reily’s ankle up there?

Hey Dougie, lean a little for me, kid!

63. Storman says:

I want a new thread
    One with no black and gold
    One with Bleu Blanc Rouge
    HIO and Gazette please get with the fold

I want a new thread
    make this one go away
    One that won’t make me change web site
    One that won’t make me fart all day

One that won’t make me nervous
    Wondering what to do
    One that wont make me feel like i need to go poo
    Poo poo poo pe doo doo

I want a new thread
    One that does what it should
    One that won’t make me see a Bruins story
    One that will make us feel bleu blanc rouge in all it’s glory

Yet one could argue Richards has been better than Nash. They have big contracts next year with St. Louis, Nash, Richards and Lundqvist. Best contract on that team is McDonagh. But big money next season tied up with St.Louis/Nash/Richards….. Does Rangers have 1 or 2 Amnesty Buyouts left?

• Habfan10912 says:

They have both of the amnesty buyouts left. Richards is one. Doubt Nash will be #2.

Funny thing about Richards contract though, only 3 years left of big money then 3 years at 1million per season. 27Million over 6 years remain after this season. Might be a contract which a team struggling to make cap each year may like. However, I’m sure Richards has No Movement and No Trade Clause, and doubt he wants to go play for a team like that. Who knows, but the Rangers have some big decisions to make.

• 24 Cups says:

One (Redden was the other).

WTF has happened to St Louis?

Nash won a gold medal playing with Crosby and then another as a questionable pick for 2014. In terms of the NHL, he hasn’t been able to lead his team(s).

Six more years of Richards? I’d take Nash who is four years younger and has two years less on his contract.

24.4 Cups

64. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

(⌒‿⌒) ┻┳══━一 ⊂( ̄(エ) ̄)⊃

65. Habfan10912 says:

Like O’reilly? Reminds me of a great line from Godfather II. Your father did business with Hyman Roth, he respected Hyman Roth… but he never *trusted* Hyman Roth!”

Replace “Roth” with “O’Reilly” and “trusted” with “like”

66. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

凸(¬、¬)

67. rhino514 says:

To me it looked like P.K. knocked the net off on purpose. He wasn´t forced to go that close to the net for any reason, and to actually knock it off he had to give it quite a shove.
    That should have been a penalty shot, but I agree he made it look just accidental enough for it not to be 100% clear.
    Imagine what PK would have to live with if that play gets called.
    Just another massive break we have gotten so far. That play gets called and that´s the series right there.

• Paz says:

First the play would have to be called, then they would have to score on the penalty shot, then they would have to beat us in overtime, then they would have a 2-1 lead in a very tight series.

That’s a long way from “that’s the series right there”.

• Habitforming says:

If PK was chasing a Bruin with the puck it likely would have been called. Since he was first on the puck anyway it would be insanity to say he did it intentionally.

Only he knows for sure

68. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

(ಠ_ಠ)

69. Storman says:

Milan Lucic cant get no spearing action, a no no no, hey hey hey,, that’s what I say Canadiens win again today, Bruins cant get no satisfaction..no spearing action..

Too many Milan Loosechicks will leave you with a bad Tukka Rash,

70. Kooch7800 says:

Pronger is a giant POS. Pronger stomped on a guys like with his skate. I cannot stand any of the players you list above.

71. Kooch7800 says:

I don’t mind playing physical but clean and there are certain players like Chara and Pronger who get away with way too much.

It is somewhat hypocritical to say it is ok for Chara and Pronger to goon it up but Marchand can’t…

reminders of Pronger…

72. dsturge10 says:

Has Dr Mark Recchi given him the green light?

“We don’t feel the pressure. We apply the pressure.” – Michel Therrien

73. FlyAngler says:

Without a green light from Drs, he doesn’t play. Article points out that Chiarelli and the Bruins have been conservative when it comes to bringing players back from injury as they were with Bergeron’s concussion previously.

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

74. FlyAngler says:

Real Doctors that is, not Marcus Recchi MD

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”