Fit, prepared Carey Price waits, ponders his next move

Carey Price

Carey Price signs an autograph for somewhat reluctant fan Paisley McNolty, age 1, after the Canadiens morning skate in Vancouver last March.
Jeff Vinnick, NHLI via Getty Images

Canadiens goaltender Carey Price will skate his first workout with teammates Monday morning at the Bell Sports Complex, having been back in Montreal from his native B.C. for a few days. But like the rest of the Habs on hand, Price will find the conditions a wee bit different than when the doors to his luxurious dressing room are open.

Price spoke with HIO’s Dave Stubbs Sunday afternoon, 12 hours after the NHL locked out its players, and discussed the current labour situation, how the 2004-05 lockout changed his career, his summer spent in Kelowna and his goaltending plans that are deep in the back of his mind should the lockout last a great long time.

1. jeffhabfan says:

The whole thing is a joke. I just hope they play sooner rather then later.

2. otisfxu says:

This whole % of revenue is total garbage. The root of the whole probelm is that the owners never imagined 7 years ago that the total revenue would be 3.3 billion and that the cap would have increased to 70 M. That is where their problem lies – tieing the cap to league revenue. If they wanted to keep more money, make the cap independent of league revenues. If that doesn’t change ths time around, then nothing changes.
    What happens if they agree to 50-50, league revenue climbs to 4.5 billion over next 3-4 years, cap then climbs to 85-90M – do owners then only want player to get 40%, and they lock it down again?
    The system is flawed so bad. It’s not the % that players are getting, it is the actual $$ amount that 57% represents. The owners can’t believe they are giving that much away, and never thought it would be that much.

• commandant says:

At the same time, if the revenues are going up, then the amount that 43% represents has also increased to an amount the owners never thought would be “that much”.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Ron says:

On another item you and I conversed on in the previous article in regard to the radio venture, a show on the Bulldogs with a focal point on this years kids might drum up a following. Especially if it is done after they start the preseason when assesments can be made.

• rhino514 says:

I agree 100%. By putting a % out there, the owners are basically guessing on how much revenue will bring. The system is fundamentally flawed.
      Why do it? Just because the NBA and the NFL did it? I´ve never checked this out but I would bet no where else in the world is there salary cap sharing tied to revenue.
      Same goes for the office of comissioner in its current state. The postion is a conflict of interest and should not exist in its current state.
      I really wish the players, or the fans, or both would take some sort of stand this time to stop this nonsense.
      If the fans boycott games, it won´t really hurt the players; they will still get as per the new CBA. But the owners will see their $ go down the drain for a year or two.
      Or the star players choose to play in Europe for a couple of years.
      Something needs to be done so that the owners cannot lock out the players at the end of every CBA, knowing full well the players cannot hold out long. There is no system of chacks and balances presently.

3. Bripro says:

Has anyone seen this letter by the Stars’ owner, Tom Gaglardi?

• Bill says:

Funny, two words not mentioned in that letter: “lock out”. Essentially the letter says, “Dear Suckers, you don’t get hockey this year because I don’t think I’m getting enough of the cash you pay to watch these guys play, and you won’t get any hockey until they agree to a massive pay-cut.”

Tom Gaglardi must think fans pay to watch him sit in his owner’s booth.

Full Breezer 4 Life

4. shiram says:

Roman Hamrlik, Jaromir Jagr, Teemu Selanne, Brian Rolston, Ray Whitney, Sean O’Donnell and Chris Pronger have now been locked out three times each.
    NHL also has lost more games than the MLB, NBA and NFL combined.

• neumann103 says:

Answering the question who is the only player to have been locked out of the NHL three times won a Stanley Cup and not be a future HoF candidate.

Sean O’Donnell

“Et le but!”

5. Bripro says:

Does anyone else here view the poll question as tricky and without a straight-forward answer?
    It’s not as if one can ask who will blink first.
    I feel that Butthead holds the big stick here. For one, the owners are mostly so diverse in their business holdings that a lock-out is an inconvenience whereas the players need to play, at some point, to assure themselves an income.
    And because these owners are so well-to-do, they can afford to hold out for a prolonged period, again, something the players cannot afford.
    So saying one would pick Butthead over Fehr or vice versa is untenable to say the least.
    If the rolls were reversed, Fehr would probably exercise the same option as his nemesis, except this lock-out isn’t fictional.

I refuse to take part in this current poll question. Also please note I have not once today brought up a football game played yesterday involving the Arizona Cardinals and another team. ;-)

• Bripro says:

You’ll notice that I didn’t either. ;)
        Everyone’s allowed an upset. Look at week 1.

BTW, I’ve sent my resume to the Pats as an emergency field-goal kicker.
        But I digress.

• habs-hampton says:

It’s like if I’m up on a murder charge, who do I want representing me, an honest lawyer (insert joke here) or one that will win at all costs?

So Leblanc and Gallagher have officially been assigned to Bulldogs according to Stubbs Twitter

7. Chuck says:

Habs assign 21 to the Bulldogs:

___________________________________________________

8. joeybarrie says:

Lots of worry and concern about the KHL Players losing their jobs cause NHL guys are coming in.
    First if the KHL could get them to begin with, they would and have no problem tossing aside players to make room.
    Second we have no idea how long they will play for, and if these players already have contracts, they have to be honored. Even if they dont play as much.
    So I have little pity for those guys, it sucks but thats competition.
    And its not going to be just the KHL, its going to be all the leagues. And to be honest I think the raise in level will help players too.
    I just hope they WAKE up and get somethng done this week. I want NHL hockey.

• arcosenate says:

It occurred to me that they are taking food off the table of many European players who won’t have jobs next year because of these “striking” guys. And the NHL players don’t need that money at all, far from it. It must be a hell of a thing for the guys over there that knnow they have to start looking for a “real” job this year.

9. commandant says:

@HabFab & @Habbernack

For HRR, Lets start by looking at the Habs:

HRR allows the deduction of costs incurred in generating HRR. That means that the salary of the ticket sales staff, the costs of advertising the salaries of the parking lot attendants, concession stand workers, ushers, etc…. all of this is deducted from Revenues before giving out HRR, so when we say “oh owners need to cover all the ancilliary expenses on 43%” its not entirely true.

There are also other areas that can generate revenue, that is not included in HRR such as Projects like Le Tour des Canadiens, or investment income made in other areas.

Ever wonder how Evenco is owned by the same corporation that owns the Habs, yet charges a service charge? I believe its something like $7 or $8 per ticket on all Habs tickets? Yeah those service charges go to the same people (Geoff Molson and the other owners) but are not counted in HRR.

Money generated in guided tours of the building.

Money generated in the Canadiens Hall of Fame that they have now.

The money that was generated in selling the bricks to the Centennial Plaza.

Any payments from expansion teams or team relocation.

Capital Gains on a franchise (the increase in price that Molson paid to Gillett vs what Gillett paid).

Then we have a number of other teams who can have money not count as HRR in other ways.

For example The Bruins own NESN. Rogers and TSN now own the Leafs, and MSG is involved in Rangers ownership, Flyers are involved with comcast, etc… etc….

I’m not sure whether or not teams are doing this today, but lets look at one reason the Levitt Report had such high losses for the teams (losses that proved to be much less after we found the true numbers post lockout) Teams would sell local tv or radio rights to the other corporation owned by the exact same owners, and sell them at below market value. They would report huge profits on their TV operations due to the value of the commercials, but the NHL team would not have those huge revenues and profits because the TV deal was sold cheaply. Basically removing revenue from hockey operations and diverting it to their other business.

You’d get the same thing with Arena Lease Deals where the ownership of the Arena and the Team were the same person. High charges for the lease, or all concession revenue diverted to the Arena Corporation, and not counted as revenue to the hockey team.

Stu Hackel touched on some of these issues

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Chuck says:

It’s one big shell game.

___________________________________________________

• Ron says:

Do you, in honest opinion really believe as your stating above that the money invested or monies gained by a real estate investment should count as Canadiens income and therefore be part of the HRR ?

If you are then tell be why as in lets say Crosby and Ovie make millions of dollars on endorsement of products and you and others have in past posts classified them as the product of the NHL and paid by the NHL as their product , why do they not have to pay back a percentage of the monies from endorsements to the NHL club that groomed and made them a household name. The NHL has groomed them from the start. Why do they not contribute back to the NHLPA also since the supporting cast of players helped them become what they are.

I realise in some ways this is apples and oranges to some but what items to include in HRR is so far from anything you or I can really comment on as fact. So to me the above post does not answer anything except make guesses.

Amen Ron, while I am sure some of the HRR commandant refers to perhaps should be accounted for differently, the players can’t have their cake and eat it to. Endorsements etc. are just as grey as you say.

• ed lopaz says:

players are nobody until the league finds them, promotes them and gives them a professional team and league to play in.

• neumann103 says:

If that is the case I would really like to hire that “nobody” Nathan Mckinnon who has yet to be found, promoted and given a league by the benevolent overlords of the NHL.

“Et le but!”

• commandant says:

I didn’t say that they should be part of HRR. I merely said that they are not HRR. You are right, the majority of the real estate money should not be counted as HRR. But what about the added value? What about the difference in price between any other venture, and the inevitable extra charges that result because the team logo is smacked on the side of the building… those might be HRR.

What about the service charges on the tickets? To me that clearly is hockey related.

What about the guided tours of the arenas? To me that is also hockey related? Would anyone want to tour the Bell Centre if it wasn’t the home of the Habs?

But the main point remains, as a result of the fact that they are not HRR, and other things are excluded, when we hear people or analysts say things like “Owners have to make a profit and pay all of the non player expenses on 43% of revenues” its simply not true. Nor is it a true comparison when we say that the NFL is at 50-50 and the NHL is 57/43. Because of the exclusions from HRR you aren’t comparing the same thing, its apples vs oranges vs Bananas, and it tends to be forgotten at times.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Ron says:

I think all agree that HRR can include and not include various means of making or losing monies and we could fill pages full of nitpick items. Bottom line is you or I and I would venture to say nobody else on HIO knows what really is contained within the documents subbmited by the NHL to the NHLPA during this dispute. The papers, bloggers and tv networks can only surmise as we do what is there. The 43% maybe a non factual figure but who here can just say its a lie and come up with the submitted NHL document. Most all we are putting forth here is what we think things should be and maybe not what actually is. How do you feel on my endorsement angle, I see you by passed that.

• neumann103 says:

I think you misread Ben’s post.

The point isn’t what is fair to include or not, the point is that the definition of HRR is not obvious, nor consistent in various proposals, nor free from workarounds and evasions.

It affects things like this common meme “57% seems too much. 50% seems fair”. The real question is 57% of what? 50% of what?

I mean my own sense of things would have been that of course I don’t expect them to include revenue from real estate ventures beside the stadium, but I do expect them to not have a sweetheart deal that shifts revenue off the team’s books onto the books of the arena separately owned by the same entity. Salaries of parking attendants? I dunno but everybody has to be on the same page on those.

The owners wanted a cap. The way they got one (along with a huge salary rollback) was to negotiate the cap based on a percentage of revenues so that both sides had an interest in growing the game. There has to be an objective, open and consistent method of sizing that pie so that the slices can be defined. That’s it.

“Et le but!”

• Ron says:

I did not misread Ben’s post, just don’t think we here can say what is in those documents that is being included in the HRR on the submission to the NHLPA. Those books or doucments have not been posted publically as far as I can find. Direct me to a link if it has. I would love to read it so I can understand it better.

10. Bripro says:

We had the Montreal Juniors of the QMJHL to watch at the Verdun Auditorium. They were the St John’s Fog Devils, relocated.
    And as of last year, the team relocated again, now the Armada of Blainville-Boisbriand.
    To be able to watch them, we have to travel 50 miles north of here, traffic notwithstanding.
    For someone who lives on the north shore, no problem.
    For the rest of us, considering that the Island of Montreal is one big traffic cone these days, forget it. I’m not travelling the route. So if there’s no hockey being televised, I’m going to experience some pretty nasty withdrawals.
    I’m shredding more clothes than I care to, thanks to Butthead!

11. Price07 says:

I would love to watch some Hamilton Bulldog and Sarnia Sting games this year. I hope somehow the sports networks can get them, we need something!

• frontenac1 says:

Don’t worry Amigo! I will be Live Blogging the Feb 3 Frontenac vs Sting game in Kingston. I am sure I will be pretty hammered so it might be both hilarious and pathetic. Maybe I could sucker Boone into coming up for that one.

12. Bripro says:

So Stubbs posted that a dozen or so players are on the ice in Brossard, no Habs clothing of any kind.
    Pleks will be playing in Czech.
    The Habs have confirmed that they’re holding their annual golf tournament, but Gio has stated publicly that he won’t be there.
    I’d be surprised if any of the currently signed roster attends.
    And Darche told Luc Gelinas from RDS that a prolonged lock-out could spell the end of his career. I wish him the best.
    Nothing positive.
    The thought of no hockey… it rings pretty hollow.

13. Lafleurguy says:

When does the KHL CBA expire, and for the NHLers going over there, are they then joining the KHLPA? Can they be certain they are getting at least 57% of league revenues? Not serious of course, but it can put some perspective on how arbitrary things are with free market business. Too bad the work stoppage didn’t occur during Markov’s long recovery.

“May you live in interesting times.”

I have asked the same question, interesting that these players appear more than happy to player under terms and conditions of the KHL but seem to require more in order to play in NHL. Kind of makes words like we just want to play, ring a little hollow. Both sides have greed up the ying yang.

14. veryhabby says:

My view on this labour dispute….Owners are billionaires that have money coming in from other businesses. They obviously proved they can survive the cancellation of a season. They still have money coming in and at the end they know they will get a deal they are happy with.

Players are millionares. I will guess most were smart enough to save some hundreds of thousands of dollars as they knew this lock out was coming. But they will feel the pinch faster. Unless they are a superstar with $ coming in from their comercials…more players will feel the fact that no money is coming in. They will feel the lock out financially a lot more then the owners ever will.

I really think we may lose the whole season. I hate the owners way of doing business, but it’s their business and I can 100% understand why they want more of the revenu…ITS THEIR MONEY. I kept on thinking players got bad end of the deal last time, but I agree that 57% is nuts and I wouldn’t be happy with that if I was a owner.

• habs-hampton says:

How do you know that 57% is “nuts”. Sure its a lot of money, but what are you comparing it to? NHL Hockey is unique. I don’t know if 40% is fair or 65% is fair. If they on 50/50, is that the right number? I do know that pro sports, and all entertainment businesses are different from my job, because the players/singers/actors, etc. are both the employee and the product, so they are entitled to bigger share of the pie than I am. How much more is anyones guess, which is why we’re in a lockout.

If both sides feel so sure their propsal is the most fair and correct, then why don’t they go to mediation?

• HabFab says:

We don’t have access to the real numbers but it appears from Forbes analysis and Bettmans comments earlier that most Teams lose money to a total of $120ML +. That represents 4-5% of the gross NHL revenue, so perhaps 57% is “not” fair.

15. @geo,
    We appreciate the constructive feedback!
    We have so much awesome NHL and Canadiens news to report every single day that sometimes it’s hard to present it. We just started the site in July 2012 so it will take some time to perfect it but rest assured we will.
    We will revamp the layout in the coming days to make it easier for you to follow.
    Thanks for visiting!

The greatest Canadiens and NHL news-site: http://teliopost.com/

16. ed lopaz says:

starting in august and continuing to training camp, around the corner, about 20 nhl players skate together in a shinny game as part of their off season training.

everyone in the community knows about the games.

virtually no one watches; no media covers the games because they are irrelevant; nothing.

it is free to attend.

the NHL players are not relevant unless they have a first class, well financed league with owners ready and willing to own the teams and host the games.

there is never even a rumour that the players will start their own league because they don’t have the resources to make it happen, and they’re doing fabulously well under this system, this league, these owners.

I hate the lockout. I believe in mediation.

• HabFanSince72 says:

They couldn’t set up such a league at short notice. Of course.

Neither could the owners by the way If there wasn’t already a league. No one could.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• ed lopaz says:

the players could not set up a league with any notice.

no league can ever be owned by millionaire players.

you see, the league NEEDS the billionaire owners.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Sure they could. They wouldn’t own it obviously. But they could certainly set up a board of governors, award franchises, etc … It would take some time but it would work.

The myth here is that the owners are pumping money into the NHL, funding it like other wealthy donors fund museums and opera houses.

It isn’t a charity.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• ed lopaz says:

there have been pro leagues for years all over the globe.

no pro league is ever owned by its players.

what does set up a board of governors mean to you?

who writes the checks? who risks the capital? who absorbs the losses?

the myth here is that owners don’t take risks.

some people here just don’t understand risk, opportunity cost, or the idea that a man does not like to lose money just because he is rich.

• Luke says:

They could. Yep. But have they? Nope. Why not? A few, like Lemieux have gone into ownership, but never as a prinicpal. Mostly due to deferred money being owed.

Players play and owners own. It’s pretty simple, you do what your thing is and stick to it. Something similar to a player started league happend in Niagara-On-The-Lake recently.

“We” had a winery open in Niagara (Southern Ontario, Canada for our foreign friends) a few years back. Some of the grape growers didn’t like the way they were negotiated with, or the profits available to the larger Wineries. These 19 growers pooled together and formed an informal co-op. Pumped in a ton of cash, bought some very fancy, hi-tech gear and contracted their best quality crops to the co-op.
            Fast forward a few months and they are arguing about grower A’s quality & price vs Grower B’s quality & price. They are arguing for more of their product to be used in the production runs. A few of them dislike the winemakering style (Too Oaky, not Oaky enough!)so they want to change it. The cost of listing with the LCBO is much more expensive then they had anticipated.
            Fast Forward a couple years, the product is sub-par, the amount of wine in inventory is enormous and the brand’s name has dropped off the map. Tehy are making non-VQA product, charging VQA prices and it isn’t being well received. Bankruptcy & a lot of grower’s losing a lot of monety is what followed.
            The start-up by the Growers ends up being bought from the bank by one of the bigger wineries (Diamond Estates – no I am not affiliated, I just know people on both sides) for something like $.50 on the dollar.

In my opinion, the players are like the Growers. The Owners the Wineries.

17. wall2bay says:

I think the Habs dropped the ball on this Subban contract thing. To see RFAs like Carlson and Kane do last minute deals while we sat idle on PK is wrong and unsettling!

I don’t have a problem giving PK the exact same terms as Kane (same agent as PK) or Carlson.

• Timo says:

Anyone who thinks that Therrien (almost wrote Tremblay, but same thing really) doesn’t have a hand in it is… well… wrong.

• bwoar says:

I’m pretty sure I read somewhere in French (was it Gagnon? Marc de Foy?) that Don Meehan confirmed Subban would not sign a contract until the new CBA was in place.

I can’t confirm that MT called him and told him to hold off, but I’m sure we can find a way to work in both narratives. We’ve got time!

• Kooch7800 says:

6 years is risky for a young D man. The Carlson deal is somewhat risky but at 4 mill per it isn’t so bad. I thought the Kane contract is really risky.

MB is not stupid and isn’t afraid of committing if it makes sense (see the Max P contract.) Makes me wonder how much PK’s agent thinks he is worth already?

• Timo says:

I think Max Pac is just as “proven” as Subban. Both have some raw talent, both have still much to learn, both are still to fully prove themselves. Just like with JM i simply see personal likes/dislikes affecting the contract/managing of a player. Subban is the best defenceman we’ve had since… well… MAB and effing around because of a few dollars is just plain stupid. If Subban is gone who is going to play 25-30 mins per game – Weber?

• Cal says:

Subban has no other NHL team to go to as an RFA. Habs gave him a qualifying offer so other teams couldn’t do the offer sheet thing. At this point, PK is where Price was 2 seasons ago. If the Habs didn’t lock up Price for 5 or 6 seasons then, why should they make the exception for PK?

• Kooch7800 says:

As Cal points out correctly, RFA vs UFA. Max P signed for a bargain price if he continues to play the way he does. 4.5 per season for a good power forward is a steal. It is still Risky on Montreal’s part in regards to length but that is why they got the lower dollar value but I think it was a good move. Max is also a forward and it is easier than D. Subban has had great parts to seasons but not full seasons. He has been a real slow starter in both years.

I do 100% agree he is one of the best D prospects we have had in years but he has a lot of developing to do still. That comes with experience. I have a feeling his agent was hoping for the moon before the end of this CBA but really who knows.

• kempie says:

Holy crap! I’ve been offline, cleaning the house like the Queen is coming or something and I just saw you mention the Kane & Karlsson contracts and I had a look at them. I think the Karlsson one is a huge risk. 6.5 for 7 years for a PMD scares me unless that D brings something else to the rink and I’m not sure he brings enough for that $$$. Kane seems like a better deal at 5.25 but it’s still a lot.

The price of hockey sure isn’t going down & I’ll bet PK smiled when he saw these. Del Zotto is still unsigned too though right? Doesn’t make any sense to sign anybody, even the janitor right now though.

I also agree that PK & Max are pretty equal when it comes to being proven. Not far from guys like Kane, Karlsson, MDZ etc. I guess at some point you really have to take a risk that these guys won’t turn into Gomez or Kaberle. I’d definitely take a chance on PK. He’s not a bad horse to bet on. (Max too for that matter).

But I have to think that PK’s agent is talking about fire sales or hometown discounts here. I’m ready for a bigass contract for PK and I’m trying to make peace with that idea.

• veryhabby says:

I totally disagree with all this talk of habs dropping the ball etc, on PK contract. Listen I think he should get what AK, Price, Pac all got before him. A 2-3 yr deal coming out of their level entry contracts. He may have star potential. But he still isnt there. I’m all for 3 yr contract at $3.5M range. That’s more then Price/Pac got in recent years.

But also note something…players were dump to sign before the CBA ended. Yup they got maybe their extra year ( 6 yr deal, where there is a possibility that it will be capped to 5 yr max deals). But there will be cut backs in salaries. So now the $5.5M contract is worth what…$4.75? That’s a possibility. Maybe $5M. So they got that extra year, but will lose a few millions. What did the player gain? Nothing. I think owners woud have been smart to sign guys….sure you want $6M/yr…ok….cause I know it’s only going to be closer to $5M when it’s all said and done. PK was smart to wait. When he signs, say for $4M a year…it will be $4M a year. Pac and the rest of these guys running to sign their contracts will be making a few million less then they signed for.

Poor Pac. He is totally a team player, taking less then what others would have….and he will end up with even less. He is worth more then $4.5M and now will make even less.

18. Kooch7800 says:

Francois Allaire let go as Leaf’s goalie coach. He is a good goalie coach but you can’t coach someone who doesn’t have the skill set

• Luke says:

He doesn’t teach to a player’s skill set, Allaire wants the goalie to adapt his playing style to Allaire’s coaching style. He has it backwards in my opinion.

• veryhabby says:

Leafs goalies have sucked for years. I know he has only come along when Burke did. But if you are not succeeding at your job, then why should you keep your job. Burke unable to sign a better goalie, so now he has to hope his coaches can get more out of their young goalies then Allaire did.

I think Allaire is losing his luster. I recall thinking, why can’t we get a guy with that type of rep instead of a nobody coach for Price. I dont’ know…sounds like the nobody coach is working well with Price. I think with what happened in TO the last few years, Allaire’s rep will take a hit.

I bet that mommy wouldn’t have such a hissy fit if Price wanted to scribble something on her chest.

20. HabFarmer says:

Normally I don’t saying anything cogent on this board, because a) I’m not capable, or b) I can’t muster the energy, but…… . The problem I have with the players’ union and their “solidarity”, is they’re all kinds of “solid”, when there’s money at stake, but several of these same players attempt to destroy their bretheren’s careers on a regular basis. There’s a certain cynicism in that. As for the owners, many got to where they are by playing the business power game. This is just another one of those “plays”. These guys are “players” in a sense as well. However, hockey – the way we relate to it, means little or nothing to most of these guys.

*******************

Bring on zee Fembaahhts!!

• shiram says:

Lots of arguing over piles of cash, but when player safety is on the line, well the show must go on.

• neumann103 says:

I think this is a fair criticism. But I think it is an extension of something larger, that is a generic problem with the “collective” aspects of collective bargaining in a union situation which effectively is

Union members are loathe to take any action that negatively impacts any members, even if those members negatively impact the collective.

In conventional labour disputes this manifests as defending the non-productive, the toxic, the skill-less among the employee base.

In a weird situation like the NHLPA it means that things like contraction are off the table and Player safety takes a back seat. No one is prepared to step up and say anything that takes away the rationale for the job of another player even if they are a dangerous goon whose main role may be to end the careers of more talented players.

In a way this is the flip side of owner solidarity on refusing to address issues like “maybe hockey does not belong in Phoenix”

“Et le but!”

21. geo_habsgo says:

@ Telio

Not sure if you’ll see this but as someone who knows just a little bit about laying out news articles, have you considered revamping your site’s design? I think that a lot of people might get turned off of it for the way that the news is presented. A good layout guides the readers eyes toward each story and I think that sometimes the problem with your site is that I am not sure where to look and what I should be looking at first.

Your site has potential for the way that you use it as a hub for all things hockey and the Canadiens but I think that if you are to really become the best site out there you need to clean up your layout!

By the way, this isn’t meant as an attack on your site by any means, just giving some constructive criticism because I can tell you care about what you’re trying to do!

Habssssswin brings up an interesting point further down the page. Did Tim Thomas really plan to take this year off, or did he take a pre-emptive strike by making it seem he wanted a year off, in order to prevent him having to look like he was against the Owners and strong with the Union. His political views would seem to put him more in line with some of the vocal owners of this league as opposed to traditional union perspective.

Have to wonder about the fellow, and what his motives really were.

• shiram says:

I don’t follow Thomas at all, but I’m guessing if that was the case he’d have took out his soap box once more and shared his views with the world. Maybe someone braver than me could look up his facebook page.

• neumann103 says:

I think Bettman has indicated that Owners or Team Management who speak out of turn will be subject to league imposed fines.

Anyone know if the NHLPA has similar disincentives? Would they be enforceable?

I tend to doubt that this is Timmy’s motivation, but it is an interesting speculation since nothing else is going on.

“Et le but!”

23. twilighthours says:

Fat, unprepared Twilight Hours waits, ponders his next move (to the fridge).

In Leafs news, Brian Burke is apparantly parting ways with Francois Allaire, whom for the past 3-4 years those of us in the Leafs marketplace have been told over and over that he is the greatest goalie coach in the world, hmmmmm

Also in the article is a comment about how players jumping to the KHL or Europe very quickly is not a good sign for the union, in that players should have hung around North America for a while to show they remain strong. Interesting perspective.

• geo_habsgo says:

I think that the players bolting so quickly does show weakness. It proves that they need their paycheques and don’t want to give up any money. Who does? But that strengthens the owners a great deal because it proves what the owners already know in that the players can’t really cope with a long term lockout because of the potential monies lost.

As for Burke, the news doesn’t really surprise me. He constantly overhypes his players and his staff. I don’t think that that is necessarily a bad thing too. I see it as similar to the way that Bergevin is constantly talking to what a strong management team he has put together and emphasizing their talents. MB does it in a much less nauseating way but it would be silly for an employer to make it public knowledge that he doesn’t like his employees.

• SmartDog says:

I disagree.
        First:
        I don’t think it shows they need the money. I think it shows they want to play. Malkin and Gonchar do NOT need the money.
        Second:
        I think the message is: “Whatever. You screwed us last time, you think you can do it again – we’re gonna look after ourselves.”

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Kooch7800 says:

Sorry I didn’t see you had already posted. Allaire is a good goalie coach but you have to have a goalie to be successful

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• Timo says:

Is he as great as Rollie Melanson?

25. HabFanSince72 says:

I suggested below that without the best 100 players there wouldn’t be much of an NHL. The point was made that there would be another 100 best players. Well, sure but …

I know you guys would watch anything with skates and the C-H logo on it, but you’re a minority.

Here’s how to think about it. Say the best league in the world was the KHL and all the talent wanted to play there. Crosby, Malkin, the Sedins, Subban, Carey Price, Giroux, Stamkos, etc … all played in Russia.

The NHL would be a bit like the Swiss League is now. Glen Metropolit would be challenging Gilbert Brule for the Hart. Yann Danis would be defending his Vezina.

You seriously think that league would attract much attention?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Whichever North American Hockey League has the best players will be the one which North American viewers by and large will watch. Especially here in Canada, we are a hockey loving people, and the best product available in our back yard is whom I will be watching.

Sure, if the KHL had games available to us, I may give it some looks, but I am going to cheer for a team that is closer to my heart per se.

• HabFanSince72 says:

That isn’t my point.

It’s pretty simple: send the top 100 players to Russia, Spain, Australia, wherever, and NHL profits take a major dive. See MSL for a reference.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

I am saying, whatever league playing hockey in North America has the best talent is what I will watch, how is that not your point. For example, I now plan on watching alot of Bulldogs hockey, I will not be tuning in to the KHL or Swedish Elite league, even if they have the best talent. Sorry if I don’t understand what your point is.

• shiram says:

I think he’s saying top hockey talent cannot be replaced, as no one else is as good as them, and those Crosby and Stamkos guys do puts butts in seats, while owners are just money bags, and there are plenty of those.

• HabFanSince72 says:

How many other people will watch lots of Bulldogs hockey?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

If over the next 2 years the NHL continues to be locked out AHL Hockey and Junior Hockey will begin to take more of a center stage. Obviously at the exact present tense moment, people still remember a league called the NHL, therefore they still yearn to watch and follow the NHL.

Your question is based on Top 100 leaving the country/continent. Something will fill the gap, it is inevidble.

By the way, this doesn’t make me like the owners, but just as Players are important so are leagues that make the players easier watch/view etc…

• Luke says:

“It’s pretty simple: send the top 100 players to Russia, Spain, Australia, wherever, and NHL profits take a major dive. See MSL for a reference”

Actually, this kind of contradicts your point… in Pro Soccer the best players are scattered around different leagues. (I don’t know my league names that well, so forigve me). You have top players playing in Spain, Italy, England, Germany etc etc… and they all run rather successfully.

The removal of the top 100 players entirely from the NHL wouldn’t put them on point with MLS, it’d place them as a really high end AHL.
          Profits diving? Maybe, but how much in salary goes with those top 100 players? Might not be as big a hit as you think ;-) Its probably around 500 – 600 million dollars annually for them.
          Removal of these players would also change the entire salary structure for the rest of the players. With no $6.5mm for A Markov (Assuming he left), Josh Gorges (who isn’t top 100)probably doesn’t get $4.5mm anymore.

“If the 20 or so American NHL owners had simultaneous heart attacks – nothing would change.”

Oh everything would change. It’s just that you don’t notice the owners. There aren’t any Jerry Jones’ or Mark Cuban’s in the NHL. They, for the most part operate behind the scenes. They run the day to day operations in a forward thinking manner that you wouldn’t see the immediate impact of their loss, but it would impact the league more dramatically then the loss of the players.

Especially once the cheques stop…

I feel the point you are arguing from is based mostly on perception. You see Crosby dangle up the ice and score a wicked goal. You cheer. Immediate gratification.
          You don’t see Molson negotiate a new foreign currency contract with bank to hedge against fluctuations in the American dollar while using the stong Canadian Dollar as leverage.

Both are super important. You just care about one.

(PS: On neither side of the lock out. Both groups are selfish).

• coutNY says:

Sounds like some top talent has already defected to the “other” so called inferior leagues: Kovalchuk, Malkin, Datsyuk, Hudler, Plekanecs… If those leagues are filled with top notch NHL talent, why would it be any different than the NHL to watch if it were readly available. Yes, its watered down, but if NHL prolongs the lock-out the players might have a bit of leverage if they can market and make readly available access to these leagues to showcase that the NHL is ruining the strives that have been made since the last CBA.

And from a U.S. perspective we read how bad this lockout could be for the new NBC Sports Network Channel.

So according to Bruce Dowbiggin of the Globe and Mail, the Canadian Sports Cable Stations will actually be making more tangible dollars without hockey than with.

Of course Bruce isn’t always completely accurate, as goes on in his article to call the L.A. Angels also rans in baseball this year, when in fact they are very much in the wildcard hunt.

28. zak says:

The players should be thanking Buttman for increasing revenues so their chunk of the pie gets larger every year. 50% of a booming business is better than 57% of a business that is not increasing in growth.

Hire the best regardless of language

29. shiram says:

I’m part of the problem, when the NHL resumes play, I’ll be watching Habs again.
    I don’t have faith in a boycott movement.

• habs-hampton says:

I’m with you, I can’t help myself, but as I said yesterday, I will NEVER again buy another t-shirt, hat, sweater, etc. to help line the pockets of these guys.

• Mustang says:

Quite honestly, I have watched very little hockey on TV since the last lockout. I have been to one game at the Bell Center but I received free tickets and I only bought one beer. This lockout will end up driving me further from the game.

I live 5 minutes from the Canadiens Brossard Training Center and I don’t even bother going there to watch them practice. Most people don’t seem to realize that the owners and the players don’t give a damn about the fans. All they want is our money but they have not received much from me in the past several years.

Both sides should be locked out of work for 5 years, then they might know what the real world is all about.
    Both sides, have no idea who pays the freight anymore. But the hard working fan sure does. Knock them both in half I say. Then we might be able to take our families again.

• habs-hampton says:

It would be worth it if Bettman ended up back chasing ambulances. He kinda reminds me of a shorter, slimier version of Danny DeVito in one of those John Grisham movies (can’t remember the name).

31. Lafleurguy says:

A disappointing juncture in NHL hockey history. Neither side is blameless. Too many technical small points to spark true interest among fans on a website. But here’s a point to ponder, if the NFL officials were to set up picket lines, on principle, other unions including the players’ should probably not cross them.

Dave Stubbs is nobly trying to redirect our interest to the items that truly spark interest and enthusiasm among fans in the pre-season period that has now supplanted the offseason.

The Hockey News has listed the top 20 at each position, and predictably, the 3 Habs named were Carey Price as the 5th best goalie, Max Pacioretty as the 9th best left-winger (ahead of Milan Lucic by the way, who is 14th), and P.K. Subban as the 12th best defenseman (Ryan Mcdonagh is 7th).

Here are the top twenty defensemen, and there are only 6 that I would take over P.K.: Drew Doughty, Zdeno Chara, Shea Weber, Erik Karlsson, Ryan Suter, Alex Pietrangelo, Ryan McDonagh, Duncan Keith, Keith Yandle, Kris Letang, Brian Campbell, P.K. Subban, Alexander Edler, Kevin Shattenkirk, Dan Boyle, Dan Girardi, Kimmo Timonen, Michael Del Zotto, Brent Seabrook, and Dion Phaneuf.

“May you live in interesting times.”

32. kalevine says:

every work stoppage going back to 1992 has lasted longer than the previous. If that trend continues we could be without NHL hockey for a couple of seasons this time around

33. habstrinifan says:

Teams cannot sign players while the lockout is in effect. Despite the spate of recent signings (Kane/Carlson) there are some noteworthy players not signed…. among them of course is P.K Subban. And they cant be signed until an agreement under a new CBA is reached.

Anyone knows if they can even continue negotiations?

And what about insurance from the player’s perspective as he tries to ‘keep in shape’. Any player trying to keep in shape is doing so presumambly to the advantage of himself and his club. Anyone knows the liability issue here?

34. Mattyleg says:

Gooden booden everyone!

So, wee question here:
    Just heard that Malkin and Gonchar (or someone, wasn’t really paying attention) are going to the KHL to play at Mettalogursk (or whatever). They’ve signed a contract through the 2012-13 season.

What’s the deal with that? If the NHL kicks off again do they get to annul that contract and come back, or are they gone?

I can’t imagine they’d be gone, but just wondering how that’d work.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

If I recall correctly Matty, all these contracts the players are signing in KHL, Swiss and Swedish leagues etc.. have out clauses, where if the NHL opens up for business again, the players bail on the European teams and come back to the green pastures of North America despite the fact they signed a contract in Europe.

• Chuck says:

Yippers.

___________________________________________________

Hey Chuck, long time no talk buddy. Ran into your old buddy Mike Tyler, he is hosting a sports trivia thing at Gators every Tuesday. My ball team is often in there after our games. He says hello to you Chuck.

• Chuck says:

Cool… I hope that he’s doing well. I should see if I can pop by on a Tuesday after my pool league wraps up. Although knowing Mike, the hockey trivia would be decidedly Leaf-centric. :)

___________________________________________________

• Mattyleg says:

Cheers Burly.
        I kinda figured as much.
        Hope all’s going well with you and the lovely lady!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

35. habbernack says:

So the NHL brothers’ are now free to take jobs from their KHL brothers. The KHL can’t be shackled by a union.

ability is what you’re capable of doing.
    attitude determines how you do it

36. Dave Stubbs says:

I’m heading to Brossard practice this morning for the Canadiens’ first lockout practice. I’ll be updating on Twitter (handle below) and freshening this site later on.

Dave Stubbs

Hockey Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: @Dave_Stubbs
    • Email: dstubbs@montrealgazette.com

Given the lockout, does this mean they revert back to previous coaching and mgmt, will JM be running practise with PG overseeing the activities on the ice?

• Habfan10912 says:

Thanks Dave. Let us know what kind of shape Scotty Gomez is in, hub? :)

———————————–

• centre hice says:

Nice Stubbs! Let us know what the line combos are.

• derfab says:

Jack is right, this site included. The only sane thing we can do is withdraw our participation from all that is the nhl. So this is is the last visit until the lockout ends. I also think we should all remove rds and tsn from our cable deals. Unfortunately, to have any effect whatsoever, we will need to hurt the people that can get the owners attention. See ya stubbey!

• habs-hampton says:

Dave, I’m a little confused. Do the players still have access to the practice facilities during a lockout? Or are they like a bunch of my buddies renting icetime for an hour and passing the hat around to pay for it?

• Habsssssssswin says:

….And,if you run into Tim Thomas,ask him how he knew ???

WFB

You bring up an interesting point there, Thomas appears to have been ahead of the curve, perhaps so as not to make it appear as though he was unwilling to negotiate with ownership. Crafty fellow that tiny Tim.

37. JohnBellyful says:

Lockout Day Two
    Bought a pair of voodoo dolls – Bettman and Fehr. Got lucky. They were the last ones in the store. Was told 10,000 sold out in six hours.
    Saved time and effort by using one needle to pin the two together. Let them share the pain … 50/50.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning JB. Along with L and Burly I’ve taken a pledge to not make any purchases of NHL merchandise. My question for you, would purchasing these dolls violated that pledge?

———————————–

• JohnBellyful says:

Morning, Jim.
        I’ve taken the same pledge and my conscience rests easy. All proceeds from the sale of the voodoo dolls will subsidize hockey withdrawal group therapy programs for fans. First session’s next Tuesday. It’s an 18-week program.

• Cal says:

Ah gots mah mojo in slow-mo and me voodoo in me hoodoo. Ah’s bin chantin’ to da hockey gods since Saturday night and ah ain’t got nowheres. Dem dere lawyahs got some powahful speerits protecking dem. Nuttin’s strongah dan de greed dey got foh an aura. Mebbe moh dan two dolls….hmmmmm.

If you need any more needles, I have some extra eavestrough nails, they should do the trick as well. Or you could just put both dolls in a room and crank tarzan boy by Baltimora, that should create a deal in no time.

38. HabFanSince72 says:

Without these owners, there would be an NHL. Possibly with better hockey.

Now I realize some of you on the right equate wealth with virtue (while, admittedly, some on the left make the exact opposite association).

But the reality is that these NHL owners did not build the game, did not and do not take financial risks to help it thrive, and don’t even care about it much (do you really think Stan Kroenke loves the game of hockey?). They are shrewd operators who see pro sports as a good way to bilk municipalities out of taxpayer dollars.

The decision making in the NHL is not informed by respect for the game itself, or by a vision of what it could become, as it is in the NFL for example (to an extent), but by the bottom line.

Thus, no larger ice surface. Thus, Habs’ playoff games scheduled to fit NBC’s schedule rather than 100 years of tradition. Thus. the joke refereeing and disciplinary process. Thus, the lockout.

Canada’s national sport is on hiatus this autumn because a handful of Americans want to squeeze more money out of the game.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Ozmodiar says:

> Without the best players (say the top 100) there would be no NHL

Sure there would. There would just be a new top 100. The ‘star power’ void would be filled by the best of the rest and the youngins coming up. I’m sure the marketing gurus at TSN could roll with that.

• Luke says:

“Without the best players (say the top 100) there would be no NHL – or at any rate not many fans.”

Going to disagree. There is always a product to watch. With out the top 100, players may not differeniate themselves as much, but there would still be the best players and the worst players. Infact, taking away the top 100 would bump a bottom 100 into the league who otherwise wouldn’t be there and they would provide for the talent gap.

“Without these owners, there would be an NHL.”

Without these owners there would be NO NHL. They can’t even get 30 owners right now…

• ed lopaz says:

I’ll respectfully disagree and take a few moments to go over your post 1 point at a time:

Without these owners, there would be an NHL. Possibly with better hockey.”

This is a big one.

Without the top players? The top players are DEFINED simply by virtue of the fact we are “exposed” to their talents.

You see, if a top player skates alone or with 20 others in a no name arena, with no marketing, no team branding, no league branding, this top player and his buddies would NOT bring in 21, 273 fans paying 100, 200, or more for 3 hours of skating.

The top players are shinny players unless they are “exposed” and “promoted” by an organized and well-financed business.

There are fantastic players all over the world that never skate one period in the NHL – the League. I have never heard of them, you have never heard of them. Does that mean that they don’t exist?

Movies and actors is as close a comparison I can think of. The “starving” actor might be a huge talent if he was simply exposed, promoted and then given the opportunity to play a role in a film that people will actually watch.

Without the movie industry the actors are working minimum wage.

With the hockey industry the hockey players are shinny players.

And I think you know this – that’s why you argue that these owners are easily replaced – because you know that the players NEED owners, NEED the marketing, NEED the arenas, NEED the branding of the league.

If you think there are 30 more people “waiting” to take over the ownership of NHL franchises, you are sadly mistaken. Sure we could find other owners if the teams were sold for 25 or 50 million, but at today’s prices more than 10 teams are for sale 365 days a year and there are virtually no buyers. That’s why the NHL takes shady characters, people with criminal pasts, and the like, because very few businessmen want to own NHL teams.

Many of the owners – especially Geoff Molson for example – absolutely love the game and they own teams because they love the game. The idea that owners don’t love the game is simply a socialist notion propagated by people who hate owners. Simply untrue.

There is no large ice surface in the NHL because it costs a fortune of money to make the change. Yes. Its called a business because business decisions need to be taken and the ones that cost a fortune are usually very hard to implement.

The entire business model is now vulnerable to TV contracts for its long term success. In short, a large tv contract is the most efficient way to grow the game – to grow revenues – and to raise the players salaries – that’s why NBC gets to call the shots – because TV relationships are vital to the economics of the game.

I am totally opposed to the lockout.

The lockout should never happen – and instead the issues should be resolved through mediation.

Nevertheless, the owners have every right to try and maximize their profits. It is their money that creates the environment that allows the star players to be promoted as star players.

39. Habfan10912 says:

Some questions answered from the Detroit Free Press
    ———————————–

40. HABZ24 says:

The players are to blame in this lockout.the owners are right.in the reg real world owners of a company like the one i work for own the company outright and give there employees a wage,period. I wish my fellow workers recieved 53 percent of the earnings, but the company wouldnt survive,PLAYERS ARE GREEDY AND UNREALISTIC !!!!!!!!!

• Habfan10912 says:

I agree that the players share in this as well but so do the owners. For me its a head scratcher that the Wild sign two free agents for two contracts of 13 years $98 million and then plead poverty. That the league has franchises in cities such as Columbus where up until Saturday you could purchase 4 tickets to any games (including opening night) for $99. Yes 4 for $99.
      Yes, the players share in this but so does the league and their owners. Either way it sucks.

———————————–

• shootdapuck says:

Explain how the players share in this?

They certainly don’t pay any portion of losses like a true partner would have to in any business!

They want the upside but no downside!

=================================================
        The cerebral insight of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
        “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”
        ” I have a pet peeve”

• Habfan10912 says:

Excellent point. I don’t want to seem like I am choosing one side over the other here. The only thing I know for sure is it stinks!

———————————–

• shootdapuck says:

The really bad aspect of this entire situation is the manipulation by the media in creating Good Guys and Bad Guys WRT to this labour dispute.

People are getting very wound up and the media keeps dumping gasoline on the fire!

=================================================
            The cerebral insight of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
            “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”
            ” I have a pet peeve”

• shootdapuck says:

That’s 57% of gross not earnings!

They also proposed a salary reduction which was just the annual 7% projected growth and their announced projected savings were “possible” growth over the length of the CBA nothing else, which is a bit of a stretch considering the economy!

No growth no salary cut to the players just status quo at 2012 levels! Smoke and mirrors or more simply put “playing with other people’s maybe money”.

Just wondering, should all the bile projected at the owners for doling out big contracts really be directed at the GM’s?

The GM’s for the most part either ex players or agents and are fans of the game!

When a GM spots a FA player that he covets it is the GM who negotiates with the player or agent or enters into a bidding war and sends his recommendation to the owner for approval.

For the most part the owners are not hockey guys and take the recommendation of his GM on how signing a particular player will enhance the franchise ( ie Value) by winning and rubber stamps it!

Doubtful that any owner is directly involved in contract negotiations except in a rare case!

Think back to Gainey and George Gilett for example!

=================================================
      The cerebral insight of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
      “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”
      ” I have a pet peeve”

41. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning. Some rumblings from the bottom third.

———————————–

42. Why is Carey stabbing the baby with a scalpel?

The greatest Canadiens and NHL news-site: http://teliopost.com/
    Twitter: @teliopost

43. PeterD says:

This ain’t nothin’ but a heartache.

I think we will not see Habs hockey for quite some time.

Hopefully we will get some extra Bulldog coverage on TV and here on HIO to at least try to give us a bit of a fix.

In the mean time, life goes on…time to settle into a good long book to read…

44. habs11s says:

New CBA plan, lock the NHL and NHLPA in a room with pots of coffee and do not open the doors until the CBA is settled…

_____________________________________________________________

45. commandant says:

What is Revenue though.

If we count all revenue and don’t exclude anything….. the current 57-43 split of HRR, is really a 51-49 split.

There are a number of categories where the owners take 100% and do not include them as HRR. So I think given that the players are already willing to go from 57-54, they have offered the owners better than a 50/50 split.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

46. on2ndthought says:

on the Canadiens website, a message from the league (it sounds bettmanish) and nothing from the team :(

Make of it what you will.

PRESS RELEASE

The following message to fans was issued by the National Hockey League on Sunday

Despite the expiration of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the National Hockey League has been, and remains, committed to negotiating around the clock to reach a new CBA that is fair to the Players and to the 30 NHL teams.

Thanks to the conditions fostered by seven seasons under the previous CBA, competitive balance has created arguably the most meaningful regular season in pro sports; a different team has won the Stanley Cup every year; fans and sponsors have agreed the game is at its best, and the League has generated remarkable growth and momentum. While our last CBA negotiation resulted in a seismic change in the League’s economic system, and produced corresponding on-ice benefits, our current negotiation is focused on a fairer and more sustainable division of revenues with the Players — as well as other necessary adjustments consistent with the objectives of the economic system we developed jointly with the NHL Players’ Association seven years ago. Those adjustments are attainable through sensible, focused negotiation — not through rhetoric.

This is a time of year for all attention to be focused on the ice, not on a meeting room. The League, the Clubs and the Players all have a stake in resolving our bargaining issues appropriately and getting the puck dropped as soon as possible. We owe it to each other, to the game and, most of all, to the fans.

Three hills apart great armies stir
    Spit oath and curse as day breaks
    Forming lines of horse and steel
    By even yards march forward.

47. accp says:

One cure fore these lock-outs. stay away for awhile when they return and they’ll think twice before they try it again. if you don’t do that. than don’t come on here telling every one how much you hate Bettman or the players for that matter …

If you had to choose between Gary Bettman and Donald Fehr to represent you in labour negotiations, who would you pick?

That’s like asking, “what would you rather die from, a poisonous snake bite or squeezed to death by a constrictor?”

49. commandant says:

As I said earlier, we launched our first set of radio shows tonight. For those that missed out due to my short notice post of the live show earlier, we have it archived and you can still listen to our first radio show here.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Ron says:

Nothing like free advertising on a continual basis eh Ben. Thats NFL I believe, when you going to do hockey ?

• commandant says:

Hockey will be started as soon as they settle things. A lockout show is kinda boring, and we are doing those in print.

I may do a prospects show at some point.

The Radio is in its absolute infancy and we’re working out the kinks but its our next area of expansion.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Ron says:

Biggest undertaking anyone can take. The airwaves are a venue that is hard to find a following on since there are so many networks with unlimited bank accounts that can put out to a much larger listening area. Hard to survive since they can pay celeberties with big names to be guest speakers. Good luck with it. Your in the lower Ontario area I believe so as far as hockey goes it would be a good idea to do a Bulldogs show. Having them with the objective of getting the new young guns as the focal point.

50. ProHabs says:

Did Travis Moen not buy a house in Montreal during the last 3 years he was here.

51. ABHabsfan says:

I guess that kid is a Halak fan.

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

52. Say Ash says:

Forgot to tell the kid to “chill out”

53. Max says:

It looks like Price is performing surgery on that kid in the pic.

54. shiram says:

Really wish we could have the Bulldogs in Montréal, I’d have gone to a few games already.

55. JoeC says:

No, they can stay down here in south western ontario so the few of us down here can watch some future canadiens without spending a ton of money for traveling room and board and a small fortune to get tickets in TO or Montreal!!