First place? Get out of here!

No, it’s true.

Pat Hickey’s game story

Quotes from the room

Habs fans on the Island

Promising start to the season

• Worst pun pinner: “Auld Spice, le parfum de la victoire”

• Pierre Ladouceur’s game analysis

• Red Fisher on Orland Kurtenbach, Jaro Halak, Alexander Yakushev

Red’s notebook

• Russell scores two in ‘Dogs’ win

And while HIO deplores violence in all its forms, we bend the rules when the victim is a Philadelphia Flyer:

4WOXrMXPIgE

1. adam76 says:

(for now) I would learn the difference between your and you are

2. PrimeTime says:

Sutter would want Markov….no deal!

3. Mark C says:

Don’t you have anything better to do then spew your crap on this site? It is obvious you are a Leafs fan who finds comfort in being a pain in the ass to Habs fans on HIO. I’m really starting to feel sorry for you.

4. SeriousFan09 says:

AK weighs in at about 210 as a 6′ forward but he’s one of the strongest 6′ players on the ice with that wide body of his. Iginla can play power forward at his size because he’s just naturally strong as well with the big frame. You can have two players of a similar size but one being much stronger than the other, natural strength comes into play here as does body type. He’s never going to be able to add 20 pounds without slowing down likely and that detracts from his style of play. He might get into the 200-pound range but he’s never going to be able to drop them like Iginla or thunder a guy like Kostitsyn can.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

I need one for my wife, too!

Mrs. 24 Cups (Joan Kerley)

Thanks!!!

6. ManApart says:

Evander Kane is more of an Iginla prototype, but Kadri (6’0-6’1″, 180lbs) does have an aggressive forechecking game with toughness and scores goals from dirty areas. His physique can eventually fill out to that of iginla (6’1″, 210lbs), which is not all that big either. He’s a center, so it’s not really his role, but I think he can definately bring an element of a power forward, to compliment softer players lik Kessel, Versteeg, Kulemin and Macarthur

7. smiler2729 says:

Some have said that this trade was in place before the playoffs.

8. observer says:

lee is not terrible. clearly, very clearly he hates this team for some reason in his little mind. happend too many times now..

9. ManApart says:

I’ll take your word for it, but from everything I heard, It seems that the kid was just not ready period. He could score, but his defense, his play without the puck and maybe his pace wasn’t NHL ready.

10. observer says:

Auld has won the #1 job with the Habs. Now sports a 1.00 GAA best in the league. Halak well into his 3rd consecutive shutout as he’ll start his next game. Auld should be playing tonight – Habs always win with him.

11. secretdragonfly says:

Sounds like a plan – enjoy taunting the Sabres; I hear Craig Rivet was a healty scratch last game.

12. Chuck says:

Sara will indeed be there. Her screen name is CanadianGrrl.

We’re going to be in Buffalo for the game on Friday, then into Montreal a little after noon on Saturday. Not sure if we’ll be there in tome for the tours, but perhaps we could aim to meet up with a few before heading to dinner.

Centre Hice: Suck on this, Leaf fans.

13. showey47 says:

“ What I don’t understand is why PG didn’t insist on swapping first round picks, considering the deal was a week before the draft.”-That was my only real issue with the trade. I would have asked to swap 1st rounders which would have moved us from 27th to 14th. Then if the plan was to still take tinordi we could traded down once or maybe even twice to pick up an extra pick or two and still getting tinordi. Instead of having to trade up and giving up an extra pick in the process.

14. SeriousFan09 says:

Kadri could be a good player, Iginla is one of the best players of the last decade is the difference. Iginla’s a power forward as well, Kadri doesn’t have the build of a power forward or the playing style, not even close. You want to take at a young player who might be an Iginla, check out Evander Kane.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

15. Chuck says:

Nowhere? Burke himself questioned Kardi’s effort, including on the Fan590 morning show in Toronto when he said that to make the NHL Nazem’s got to stop skating like he’s in junior.

Centre Hice: Suck on this, Leaf fans.

16. secretdragonfly says:

Hey Chuck, I think your lovely bride is accompanying you – would she like a name tag? (sorry, I can’t remember her screen name).

17. ManApart says:

kadri let nobody down. He was just not ready at 19 to play in the NHL, big shocker, almost nobody is. Look at Hall having a tough time. It’s normal. Doesn’t mean anything about how good he will be. He will be better off for his experience in the AHL and most likely will be called up sometime this year. 7 points in 7 AHL games so far.

18. SeriousFan09 says:

I don’t think they can safely trade Iginla, they’d have a giant slump in season tickets renewals and there would be a giant angry mob outside of the Saddledome with pitchforks and torchs. Iginla is pretty much God in Calgary for the Flames faithful and ownership would nix any deal involving him.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

19. SeriousFan09 says:

It’s not just us, I logged into Hockey’s Future Boards last night as someone started a complaints thread about that hack and apparently no one else can stand him either.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

20. ManApart says:

Nowhere has his skating effort been questioned. It’s just his defensive play and his positional play. As Burke said, he’s just not ready to play on the top 2 lines yet.

21. Danno says:

There were many crappy shots so ESPN isn’t entirely wrong.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

22. christophor says:

I understand why you’re upset, but people around the league were actually worried halak was a one hit wonder. I’m sure PG could’ve got more if everyone had known Halak would continue his good play.

Still, the consensus around the league was that PG got stiffed a little at least. What I don’t understand is why PG didn’t insist on swapping first round picks, considering the deal was a week before the draft. That’s not a huge addition to the deal for St. Louis, but for the Habs it would have meant a higher first round pick and they wouldn’t have had to trade their second.

In the end I might be satisfied if Price can give 7-10 more starts than Halak, that is, if Price keeps going at this quality.  Conklin will probably get more ice time than Auld.

G’day.

23. otter649 says:

The Leafs expected Kadri to make the team this year (after last years training camp) as they had a big poster of him at ACC  as well as putting his face & likeness on four separate game tickets for this season – If The Leafs felt he was going to The AHl this season that would not have happened. Kadri let his team & himself down by not showing up at training camp ready to compete for a NHL job that was there for his taking but did not happen……

24. MTLForever says:

This is on espn when you click the little note thing beside Carey Price..

someone made a spelling error!

Price will return to the net Saturday against Florida.
    Spin:
    Teammate Alex Auld filled in nicely on Friday night against the Isles stopping 30 sh*ts in the 3-1 win. The effort by Auld was a great sign for Montreal that if they need to spell Price that Auld can provide a nice alternative. Price still is the No. 1 goalie and will be back in net Saturday.
    Yeah whoever wrote it put an I instead of O

25. HFX-HabFan says:

He pees in his crease?!  That’s disgusting!

26. Cee_8ch says:

Did anyone else notice that in last night’s game, Chris Lee was the ref calling all the penalties against the Habs and not the other ref? His incompetency knows no boundaries.

27. Chuck says:

“I think Nazem’s accepted that he’s made his own bed,” Burke said.

In short, it had EVERYTHING to do with his effort.

Centre Hice: Suck on this, Leaf fans.

28. ManApart says:

Markov, Eller and Price for Halak lol. Would be a steal for Montreal.

29. ManApart says:

Like Ryan White, who also plays hard with an edge? Or like Lars Eller, who plays the same style, but probably should be in the AHL playing top line minutes to develop. You ever heard of guys like Price, Lats, SK74 among others, who were rushed to the NHL too soon, which affected their development negatively? You don’t put a kid in a situation where he has a good chance at failing. You put him in a situation where he has the best chance at success. C’mon, get with it,  that’s prospect development 101.

30. ManApart says:

It had nothing to do with his effort level at all. He’ s only 19 and his body isn’t a man’s yet, only weighing in around 180lbs. He just wasn’t ready to make the jump straight from junior. He needs a season of development in the AHL and some time to physically mature before playing with the big boys. Nothing more than that. I saw him at the WJC last year and he was a monster scoring 8 points in 6 games and playing a very aggressive game. He’ll be OK.

31. punkster says:

I say we talk to the Blues. They have a hot goalie we may want.

So who do we trade Markov for?

33. otter649 says:

Plays hard with an edge keep drinking The Leafs Nation koolaid because if he did he would be in The NHL now and not The AHL………….

34. Danno says:

I get my laughs listening to the Brother Andrei post-game interviews. That, and watching him do his Magilla Gorilla celebration as he skates on one leg with his long arms in the air. Or is it Chewbacca?

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

35. nightmare_49 says:

Kerry, I’ve got a bonus in my contract for penalty minutes, I’m four minutes short, and the f—ing coach never played me one shift tonight.’

“I said, ‘What did you say?’

“He said, ‘f— off.’

“I said, ‘Say it like you mean it.’

“He said, ‘F— OFF!!!!’ ”

“I said, ‘YOU GOT 10!!’ ”

“He said, ‘Thank you’ and he went up the hall, happy as a pig in sh–.”

-Retired NHL referee Kerry Fraser, talking about an incident with former NHL player Jim McKenzie.  You can read more about the book Fraser is promoting from Jason Kay of The Hockey News.

36. Chuck says:

“Plays hard”?

The Leafs, who are in dire need of scoring, sent the kid down to the minors because he wasn’t skating hard.

Centre Hice: Suck on this, Leaf fans.

37. fbkj says:

keep me in the loop as to who wins my ticks

38. ManApart says:

What are you talking about, Kadri is going to be a very good player. Calgary or Montreal for that matter would be drooling to have him. Plays hard, with an edge and can score. Very much in the Iginla mold.

39. ooder says:

yakushev was my dad’s favorite  player of all time.

just a really really good player

——————

88 is the new 23

40. Chuck says:

Holy crap… only one week away from the Summit game!

Centre Hice: Suck on this, Leaf fans.

41. Chuck says:

Sweet. That’s great news for my hockey pool.

Centre Hice: Suck on this, Leaf fans.

42. nightmare_49 says:

One more time …

Jaroslav Halak is making an early mark in net for Blues

43. nastyHABit says:

correct me if i’m wrong,but did he not score 2 his 1st game back from the cut tendon last year

I watched a poker tournament last night on TV. The winner was a guy that put down 88 chips, and even though he had a 47% chance of winning, decided to stand pat.

45. Former Jets Fan says:

heck, with a little bit of luck, Carey Price can be too!

46. Chuck says:

At least he’s consistent, which is what you want out of an NHL official. Consistently bad, but consistent nonetheless.

Centre Hice: Suck on this, Leaf fans.

47. N.B.habs fan says:

Have to agree with you there Tom.Nice post

48. Chuck says:

I predict that after tonight, Markov will be ahead of Chris Higgins in the scoring race.

Centre Hice: Suck on this, Leaf fans.

49. Former Jets Fan says:

Maybe just one, and he sets up PK for his first regular season NHL goal.  He’s due!