First place? Get out of here!

No, it’s true.

Pat Hickey’s game story

Quotes from the room

Habs fans on the Island

Promising start to the season

• Worst pun pinner: “Auld Spice, le parfum de la victoire”

• Pierre Ladouceur’s game analysis

• Red Fisher on Orland Kurtenbach, Jaro Halak, Alexander Yakushev

Red’s notebook

• Russell scores two in ‘Dogs’ win

And while HIO deplores violence in all its forms, we bend the rules when the victim is a Philadelphia Flyer:

4WOXrMXPIgE

1. Chuck says:

Can we pencil in Markov in for two goals tonight?

Centre Hice: Suck on this, Leaf fans.

2. bigjames says:

based on what i’ve seen this season. if we can beat boston. my confidence will grow. they are the team to beat in ourdivision in my opinion. and i hate them with a passion. but they are good. lets see….

He is not a terrible referee at all, he just sees to much and calls everything. It drives me nuts, that he can not let the boys play.

But the players know for sure, before the game, what you are going to get away with. So discipline is key.

4. TomNickle says:

Check out the game blog and read my post about him

5. nastyHABit says:

10 games in….7,2 and 1…..NOT TOO SHABBY!….keep it rollin’ guys…..can’t wait to see markov and subban on the PP

6. Storm Man says:

Kadri….. Cough cough. I have a few friends here that are Flames fans, That is insulting to them to say Calgary would want Kadri.

7. Former Jets Fan says:

Really bored one day last year, I pored over Florida’s draft picks over the years, and I’d have to say that no team has done so little with so much at the draft – consistently in the top 5, and no franchise players (yet) to speak of, and few – if any – impact players.  And JM surely had a hand in some of that futility – though they did seem to draft marginally better under him than his predecessors.

8. mike g says:

Is it just me or was Chris Lee terrible once again last night?…

He shouldn’t be allowed to ref in this league.

And for some reason it seems like he really hates us. When AK got his penalty last night, I thought Andrei was gonna kill him.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

9. Storm Man says:

(for now) I won’t jump on you’re armchair logic.

10. Former Jets Fan says:

Does that make Tim Thomas a demi-god?

11. Clay4bc says:

I have to say that Iginla is one of my favourite players ever to not play for the Habs, but I would not trade either Cammalleri, Plekanec or Markov for him at this point in his career. We need to remember that Iggy is getting on in years, and his production will suffer soon. Best trade Calgary ever made was getting him for Niewendyke (sp?) though. Good for Dallas though as well – can’t forget that this trade helped them greatly to win the cup that season.

.__________________________

Fighting Ignorance since 1970 (It’s taking longer than I thought).

12. ManApart says:

Why shouldn’t he? Do you see what Halak is doing? The man is superhuman.

13. Mattyleg says:

Nah, my yuks go with Gill. He’s more self-deprecating. Gomer comes off as arrogant.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

14. TomNickle says:

Your last sentence is one that many here should pay attention to.

If you don’t enjoy the ride in between championships, there’s no point to being a fan.

15. otter649 says:

A rule was put in that the first team you play internationally for is the team you play your whole international career with – Peter Stasny was involved with 3 teams/countries internationally in his career………

16. Mattyleg says:

Sigh… another win…

Same Auld, same Auld…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Markov is just another very good player for our TEAM. He will be an
    improvement over Obyrn and Picard for sure.  We have great depth and
    balance, from Hamilton through to our roster in Mtl.

We will not
    be blowing the opposition away with over whelming scoring this year. We
    will however be playing sound defensive, positional and disciplined
    hockey with speed. Most games are going to be very close affairs, with
    us coming out on top much more than not. We will be making a nice noise
    around this league over the course of the regular season, and be in a
    position to take on bottom teams the first few rounds of the playoffs.

We
    have waited a lot of years while quality management put this team back
    together after many years of neglect. We are finally able to watch fun
    and competitive hockey. It is just wonderful to see this great
    chemistry throughout the organisation.

Enjoying the process is half the fun.

Read Ian Cobb’s HI/O Blog

18. TomNickle says:

Gomez is funnier.

19. adam76 says:

To be an elite team, you need the goalie to “steal” a coupe of games per month – Auld and Price are doing the job this season (for now).

20. ManApart says:

Even Sutter isn’t that crazy, Iggy’s Calgary version of Saku. I’m sure offers from other clubs would be a lot more. I could see Burke going hard after him. Kadri could even be in play.

21. TomNickle says:

Sutter has proven that he’ll trade a star for depth too!

22. Clay4bc says:

As Kempie pointed out below, that Sutter is Sather crazy. He just might go for it!

__________________________

Fighting Ignorance since 1970 (It’s taking longer than I thought).

23. ManApart says:

Weird coincidence, I was hanging with his brother Hugo last night.

24. kempie says:

I’d make that deal. But don’t forget though, that Sutter is Sather crazy.

25. TomNickle says:

It’s Darryl Sutter James.

26. TomNickle says:

Sutter probably wouldn’t even think of Eller and I don’t think I would do that.

I’d rather give up a first round pick with our first round pick history.  Keep Eller.

Throw Pouliot and a veteran defenseman in there.

27. ManApart says:

No way that’s enough. O’byrne and Pouliot are fringe players and who would want a 5.5 million aging defenseman? Calgary needs offense not defense. Ak46 would have to be in the deal for sure.

28. Clay4bc says:

How about Eller? And a first…

Would like to say Gomez though – damn your rules!

__________________________

Fighting Ignorance since 1970 (It’s taking longer than I thought).

29. Danno says:

I think he holds dual citizenships.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

30. HFX-HabFan says:

That would be fairly awesome, considering the Olympics will be in Sochi, Russia.

If Peter Statsny and Petr Nedved can represent us in international play, Markov can too!  I think.

31. Clay4bc says:

Can’t believe I’m going to type this, but it’s the truth…

We were outplayed for long stretches last night, and Alex Auld held us in the game. There, I said it…but it was really the only game all season where we were outplayed like that, so no worries – first place –  Sweet! This team is looking great. Can’t get complacent tonight just because we’re playing a bottom feeder though…

In an unrelated incident…Gomez is on pace for a 25 point season. What a bargain! Not sold on Eller yet, either…

Pleks and AK on pace for 82 points…there are the real bargains. Fire Gomez!

__________________________

Fighting Ignorance since 1970 (It’s taking longer than I thought).

32. HFX-HabFan says:

Gomez isn’t retired.  He’s a key part of our team.  You’re almost as bad as SmartDog.

We realistically don’t have much to offer the Flames, but then look at the group of “assets” he took from the Laughs.  Hammer’s salary would have to go for sure, but they would probably ask for AK46 first and either a couple of prospects or a smattering of picks.

33. FB says:

I think Georges has been solid this year

34. FB says:

I doubt he will play for Canada at the next olympics

35. Xtrahabsfan says:

Sign Gill to a 3 year deal,period!

36. Bill J says:

LOL nice one Brad…

37. HFX-HabFan says:

Matthias was great in Belleville and in his one appearance at the WJC.  Trading him away at the deadline for a broken-down rental (Bertuzzi) could very well go down as one of Ken Holland’s few bad trades.

38. Danno says:

Odds are much much better that the Leafs will win the cup than Harper will win a majority.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

39. Number31 says:

Tinordi stakes claim – The Knights rookie proves himself worthy to take on the other team’s best scoring line.

“Tinordi was, in many ways, the reason why London’s defence was being held up as one of the league’s stingiest units. When he decided to forego college hockey at Notre Dame in August and reported to the Knights, the team got another big, strong horse capable of bulldozing smaller forwards into rubble.”

Soon to clear annoying forwards from a Habs’ goal crease at a rink near you.

40. Xtrahabsfan says:

Ak ,Boyd and Spach FOR Iggy

41. TomNickle says:

I would honestly offer Hamrlik, O’Byrne, Pouliot and a 1st rounder or combination of 2nd rounders.

Hamrlik’s salary has to go to make that deal.  The alternatives are Gionta, Cammalleri, Plekanec and Markov.

I don’t think trading any of those players is worth it.

42. TomNickle says:

He doesn’t get paid to be complete.  He’s aware of his limitations.

I’d be surprised if there’s a more intelligent player on our roster.

43. LA Loyalist says:

Trouble in Calgary.

Who/what would you trade for Iginla – small risk but a player who could possibly put us over the top.

And you can’t say Gomez a) no one would want him b) he’s retired

44. TomNickle says:

Maybe his skates are too tight or perhaps he tapes his ankles.  I don’t know what the hell his deal is.

He’s still had a very good start to the year despite the falling over air every third shift.

45. LA Loyalist says:

Markov got his doggie papers. He’s Canadian now. He’ll be watching Red Green and Trailer Park Boys, buying duct tape and eating Tim Hortons, St Hubert, shooting pool on St. Laurent…

Excuse me, I have to go cry now.

46. mike g says:

lol…

Did you see him trip over the blueline last night, and then the ISLES d-man gave a stretch-pass to Moulson who went all alone on a breakway?

Nobody touched him, nothing. He was on a 1 on 1, saw the blueline and tripped over it.

WTF? lol

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

47. habsguy says:

yup,  now if he could only skate and get to a loose puck first!!!!!….he’d be complete!!!

48. TomNickle says:

Matthias is gonna be a good one.

Watch out for him.  Red Wings didn’t want to give him up.

49. TomNickle says:

Pretty scary to think about how good our team can be with him in the lineup.

50. HFX-HabFan says:

Since we’re facing the Panthers tonight, here’s a lineup comprised of players who made their NHL debut in Florida.  Consider:

Booth-Weiss-Horton

Huselius-Olesz-Frolik

Hagman-Matthias-A Stewart

Glass-Niedermayer-Dvorak

Campbell

Bouwmeester-Boyle

Spacek-Jovanovski

Kulikov-Kuba

Garrison

Salak

Markstrom

Total cost = $61.58mil (or nearly $2.2mil over the cap)

Not a terrible team- limited firepower up front, a solid (albeit overpaid) blueline, and two young prospects in net (I hate Markstrom but he is considered the best European goaltending prospect out there).  To come in under the cap, you could easily replace one of the high-priced forwards with a cheaper rookie like McArdle, Duco or Repik, or sub out Kuba (is he on LITR?) on the backline for Ellerby.

51. TomNickle says:

Pouliot has the odd flash of brilliance from his knees.

No pun intended.

52. mike g says:

Hal Gill has earned every penny since he’s been here…

They should re-sign him to a 1 year deal, with a club option for the 2nd year. He’s been our 3rd best defenseman since last year, with Markov and Georges ahead of him. Plays consistent hockey, and a great teammate.

And on another note, he should teach Pouliot how to play hockey when your lying down on the ice. Since Benny’s always falling, he could probably dominate a game if taught properly. And something tells me it’s already in the works. Against NYI on Wednesday, Benny went on a breakaway while on his knees!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

53. mike g says:

Some spicy burger…

Can’t remember the name. My gf got to choose it, cuz she caught me checkin out the waitresses DD’s.

It was worth it…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

54. Bill J says:

King Russia ?

You meant to say Mr. Canadiens right ?

btw he aint Russian no more :P lol he is Canadian! (at least while he resides here during the season anyways)

hehe

55. mike g says:

Wait, wait, wait…

Something is seriously wrong with all of you’s this morning…

ANDREI MARKOV returns to the lineup tonight, and we got people talking about politics on HIO??!!

Andrei Markov people!! King Russia!

Aweye, la!

Here’s our best player who attempted to return during last years playoffs with a torn ACL!

I hope he gets a standing O tonight, that fast-healing Russian bastard.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

56. TomNickle says:

You people can jump on my back for this all you want but Hal Gill has moved the puck better than all of our defensemen not named Subban so far.  He had a big fight last night which shot some life back into our team and drew a goalie interference call against the Isles on Wednesday night right after Roloson’s temper tantrum realizing the officials would be looking for retaliation.

He’s been worth the total monetary value of his contract already in my opinion.

And I’m stunned at how well he’s moved the puck.

If Montreal was an environment he needed to play like this, I’m just disappointed that we didn’t have him five years ago.

57. CanadienBoy says:

Last years run as given them the confidence to try and win every game.This is why playoffs run built teams chemistry for the big price and so are the others final four it’s shaping up to be a very interesting years,

58. fbkj says:

was it the blitz or the new angus one… the blitz is overkill IMO

59. Rugger says:

6 games against last years play-off teams, 5-1.  4 games against last years 100+ points teams, 3-1.  They have been playing and beating good teams.

60. mike g says:

Yea, u got a point there…

But the burger I had was decent, and the nachos were good.

But the waitresses, oh yea…..

C’est le but!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

61. TomNickle says:

Yeah I see that.  Didn’t know until last night when I looked it up.

Colton Orr isn’t exactly Laraque but Shelley can fight.  Engelland’s been impressive.

Love Hal Gill’s fight last night.  You know he didn’t want to do it but realized that he had to.  What a great guy.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets a one year extension.  I hope he does.

NEXT FRIDAY BOYS AND GIRLS,….WE ARE GOING TO SEE OUR FIRST PLACE CLUB.

2010 HIO Fan Summit Itinerary Nov. 5th and 6th in Montreal

FRIDAY
    Nov. 5th, We are watching the Habs vs  Sabers game at Hurley’s Pub
    1225 Crescent St.  on big screen around 6pm. Name tags will be given out.

SAT. morning, Breakfast will be at Chez Coras 1240 Drummond St. at 8:30am

SAT.
    at 10;30 Bell Center tour and Habs Hall of Fame tour. The “Rockets”
    granddaughter Cathrine Richard is putting on the tour for us this year.

SAT.
    at 2:45 Pregame meal and The Gainey Children’s Foundation Raffle at The Baton
    Rouge Rest. 1050 Mountain St.

Don’t forget to bring along something to
    contribute to the raffle please.

Across the street at 7pm our Habs take on Kovalev and the Ottawa Senator’s

After
    game celebration. We have the second floor of Hurley’s Pub reserved for
    us. And like every year our Gazette leaders will be there to celibrate with us.

Everyone is welcome, so see you all in Montreal.

» Read Ian Cobb’s HI/O Blog

63. showey47 says:

and he’s only listed at 6’2″ and 202. Kind of throws alot of the theories out the window,doesn’t it?

64. fbkj says:

and i would agree with you if the current lot of conservatives werent part of the frasier institute of psychos that were key signitaries of the reform and alliance parties…

the entire spectrum of canadian politics is a joke but at least iggy and layton dont have advisors that are of the mindset that canada is not a viable country

and why would you enjoy pain in others, in any capacity, let alone something based on your partisanship?

65. TomNickle says:

Oh, and this just in folks.  There could be a new heavyweight champ in the NHL.

Deryk Engelland can fight.  He’s concussed Colton Orr and massacred Jody Shelley.

Can’t wait to watch the Pens and Rangers.

66. habsfan_61 says:

here’s my take on the first 10 games. excellent record (7-2-1) albeit against weaker teams. still, the points are banked and am happy about that. i want to see how they do against the so called better teams before we can really judge the habs. price has been very good.team defense is also doing well.danger signs are that gio/gomez have been cold but will get back to normal soon. spacek and hammer are not cutting it dont know if that will continue to fall or get better. pp has sucked but should get better when markov gets back tonite. pk is tops as is subban, big time star in the making once he figures out the game.ak46 is a mchine and hopefully continues to pot em and poupou is playing well and results are bearing fruit also hopefully that continues.

67. TomNickle says:

Harper getting a majority?

Not sure what you’ve been smoking but that’s never gonna happen.  Fortunately for us there are enough people in this country to counter balance the “there’s one born every minute” theory.

68. fbkj says:

great waitresses

crappy food

i dare you to try the mini burgers on the appetizer menu, then tell me which brand of dog food was used

69. Thomas Le Fan says:

You know Mike, just once you could take a cheap shot at Obama or HEY SINCE WE”RE CANADIANS, Iggy or Jack Layton. Although I love reading about hockey and getting “The Anti Conservative Sucker Punch of The Day” I’m really going to enjoy the pain of you guys watching Stephen Harper get a majority and BHO losing his. Have A Nice Day. GO HABS and PMSH.

70. FrederictonHabsfan says:

I see Red felt the need to dedicate a whole article to the greatness of the St. Louis Blue’s Goalie.

He’s now written more about the Blue’s goalie than he has about the Habs goalie this year.

Maybe the St. Louis Post-Dispatch has an opening in the cranky old man department?

71. mike g says:

Alright ladies….

So I left work early last night, came to NDG to pick up the girlfriend and then headed to La Cage Aux Sports to watch the game. Now for those of you who don’t know what La Cage is, it’s the biggest chain of sports bar/restaurant type place to watch sporting events in Quebec.

Anyhoo, it was about 2-3 years since I last went there to watch a game, and man was it fun. Loud music, fancy ladies, pitchers of beer, fancy ladies, pretty good burgers, great nachos, and even more fancy ladies. The atmosphere is great, but I just don’t like when a grown man jumps up at a non-penalty call and spits out half his burger while he screams. Happened only once, so I;ll let it pass.

So a pitcher of beer, nachos and a burger with fries came out to $48. It’s not the end of the world, but it’s a little expensive. I’d honestly watch most games there if I could, but my wallet would be empty by game 15 of the season.

So all in all it was a good night, except for one thing. Common you guys,  Mike G has to at least complain about one thing….

I’m paying my bill last night and getting ready to jet out the door before the 200 people in there all decide to pay at once. So I’m paying with my debit card, and this young lady at the table next to where I’m paying signals for me to move out of the way. I realized I was obstructing here view towards the big projector, so I moved. But then I felt like telling that nacho-eatin’ female, “Hey Madamme! There’s about 700 televisions in this place. And there’s 12 seconds left in a 3-1 game. Did you really have to interrupt me while I was trying to pay? Could you not have finished watching those couple of seconds on this smaller tv, which in 4 feet away from your face?”

Anyways, I didn’t say anything and I moved. Cuz that’s the kinda guy Mike G is. That’s why all the fancy ladies in that place looked at me at least once.

Oh, and I can’t wait for the game tonight! Florida is such a great/exciting opposition to watch!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

72. christophor says:

in that case, go back and say, “hey, look at all the good stuff halak did during the playoffs; give us a tad more: lets swap first rounders”.

73. ManApart says:

“Of course the Habs could’ve retained Halak and moved Price. They decided otherwise.

There was no point in keeping both of them as they are both number 1 material.”

Thank you, that’s exactly my point. They chose Price because they think he will be the better goalie, nothing to do with a million dollars nonsense.

“The truth is that of the two I think letting go of Price is the one that would’ve come back to haunt and burn the Canadiens. The Halak deal was just a case of choosing between a greater of two goods.”

Fair enough, I believe the opposite. I think Halak is and will be the better goalie and we would have been better off trading Price.

74. PrimeTime says:

HH helped me out in his reply…..Halak was arbitration eligrable….not Price. So signing Halak could have potentially been much more expensive than Price and as HH also said, Halak wanted longer term, Price shorter.

Thanks HH

75. terrygain says:

Price has made some incredible stops, hasn’t let any weak ones….

Carey has played well but it is not true to say he has not let in any weak goals.

76. ManApart says:

Well it would be a good starting point of analysis. I mean all you guys are already ripping Burke for his Kessel trade and it’s not even complete yet.

77. ManApart says:

HH agrees with my point. Halak being arb. eligible doesn’t mean anything. They would have come to the same deal as St Louis. I called pretty much the exact contract, in a bet with Seriousfan more than 2 weeks before Halak signed. He was still a Hab at the time. It was smack on market value. As far as term, like I explained, it makes no difference. Unless you think Price won’t be signed in the 3rd and 4th years of halak’s contract.

78. SeriousFan09 says:

If he’s only been your MVP for half a year at best, than you shouldn’t break your back to sign him. Markov’s been the team MVP since the lockout ended until bad luck struck him down with injuries last season and he still returned to get the Habs PP into a respectable No. 2 position. There’s also no promise Halak would have been signed at 3.75 either in MTL, not with the taxes and not with Walsh.

That ‘extra body in Boyd’ is still a roster spot that has to be filled with a minimum salary and if you want to run a short team, ask NJ how that’s been going for them. The team just can’t have a roster with no extras just to keep Halak around, that’s bad roster management.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

79. Former Jets Fan says:

Yup, a starting point.  We both know however that myriad posters on both sides of the fence will be ready to declare one season as the be-all end-all and spam these boards with I-told-you-so’s.  Not looking forward to that.

As to the Kessel trade comment, I rip Burke because he overrated his team and the effect a guy who scores and not much else would have on that team.  So, I rip the thinking behind the trade, not the pieces involved.  When he took over, he wanted to be in the playoffs in 3(?) years maximum I think he said.  Burke traded for “now” whereas PG traded for the future and the very real possibility there wouldn’t be too much of a dip in the now.  Burke’s team is still far away though, and I don’t think there’s any doubt a team that bad would be better served having a couple VERY HIGH draft picks than “Surly Petr Bondra”, the type of player who doesn’t put a team over the hump unless you’re adding him to a team that’s one piece away instead of 21 pieces away.  The only hump Kessel got the Leafs over last year was 30th place in the league – which means without the Kessel trade, Burke could very well have had his choice of Hall or Seguin, and no-depth-at-centre notwithstanding, I have a sneaking suspicion Burke would REALLY have coveted Hall, more so than a guy his own coach had skating on the 4th line at the Olympics.

I could’ve said hasn’t let many….but still, give it a break.

Anyways screw New Jersey. Two of their three wins were shut-outs and they still are the worst team in goal differential. Can’t win them all. All goalies have bad games. Price wasn’t great that game but neither was the team. 3-0. 1-0. 10-0. A team wont win if they don’t score. Price bounced back. So have the Habs.

81. Former Jets Fan says:

I think term makes a huge difference, especially with goaltenders.  To me, that’s the one position where shorter contracts are best, as so many goalies run hot and cold.  The benefit to a two-year deal for Price is that if and when he resigns, management will have had two more years to evaluate.  If Price ends up breaking the bank in the summer of 2012 and earning more than Halak, he will have earned it.

I also think it’s critical to remember that Halak didn’t assume the starter’s reins until late December with his superlative performances on that road trip leading up to New Year’s Eve.  Imagine for a second he was “the guy” all season long, and started 60-65 games.  Does he still shine as bright in the playoffs?  Recent history has shown that 60-65 game starters have not fared well in the playoffs – I think Nabokov was the only one last year to win a round.  The Blues went out on a limb just as far as PG IMHO.

The Habs bailed on Theo and on Huet at exactly the right time.  Here’s hoping third time’s a charm too!

82. ManApart says:

If you followed Halak his whole career and watched his progression year to year, it seems very unlikely he would take any backwards steps, considering he’s never had a bad year in his life. I think Davidson, like I and others, didn’t see it as going out on a limb, but saw it as stealing him for a great price before the rest of the world really caught on. Less than 4 million for a top goalie is a very fair deal and his proving it’s even more than that. I mean the Blues haven’t won a playoff game in 6 years. It’s still early, but Halak may carry the Blues on his back as he did the habs.

83. terrygain says:

I could’ve said hasn’t let many….but still, give it a break.

When someone corrects my mistakes I usually say thanks.

84. Former Jets Fan says:

I broke my own rules wading into this conversation to which there are no right or wrong answers yet, and I’ve grown tired of it now, but cheers to sticking around to defend your views in a civil manner!

85. PrimeTime says:

Boone has supplied the explanation in depth several times. In short, PG has much more flexibility to sign Price than Halak in regards to how it effected the cap…..not signing Pleks…something to do with the difference in their contract structure.

In regards to  ” Trust me, if things turn around, you’ll be hearing about it.”….that would be the case no matter who wasigned. Halak or any other player (see OV and Sid) does not guarantee team success and I think they are generally considered better franchise players than Jaro.

86. smiler2729 says:

From what I’ve read Allan Walsh priced Halak right out of the Habs’ plan capwise (especially after The Playoff Run), not so much monetarily but in length of term… thus freeing up the space for a long term Plekanec signing. That and the fact that Pleks really wanted to stay in Montreal while Halak really didn’t care either way.

Price’s agent couldn’t really demand squat with Carey coming off a sub-par (and immature) year and a half. Besides with his potential blah blah blah, pedigree blah blah blah, upside yadda yadda yadda and all that other shite (being a highly drafted prospect), there was no way the Habs could keep Halak over Price.

If I were GM and we’re glad I’m not, I woulda re-signed both Halak and Price and let Pleks go for the price and term he got.

87. SeriousFan09 says:

By shortening the roster at other positions perhaps? The idea was to keep one goalie without having to make a bunch of other moves to work that out and there’s no promise Halak would have signed in the Tax Capital of the NHL for 1 million more than he’s making in St. Louis, not with that publicity-seeking hack Allan Walsh as his agent.

A million is what’s keeping Jeff Halpern’s 3G, 3A on the roster along with some cap room for short term call-ups as injuries occur.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

88. ZepFan2 says:

It’s amazing the insight you have at what goes on behind closed doors…amazin‘!

I’m also baffled as to why some NHL team hasn’t offered you their GM job…bafflin‘!

————————————————————————

“Analyst: And I will say things you already know, five seconds after you yell them at your television.”

89. Storm Man says:

Manapart has insight……… When did this happen?

90. Former Jets Fan says:

Signing Halak and Pleks was surely possible, I agree, but that might have been at the expense of upgrading the bottom-6, which is what Philthy exposed as a deficiency.

91. ManApart says:

I agree with your second paragraph. But it had nothing to do with dollars. How does signing Halak for a few more years make a difference? It’s not like Price won’t have a contract that size or more during those years anyway. It was totally a choice of management based on belief of who would be the better goalie, nothing to do with dollars.

92. ManApart says:

I don’t see at all, how signing Price instead of Halak gives PG more flexibility. It’s a million bucks more this year and next (peanuts) or may I say Laraques buyout cap hit. The 3rd and 4th year Price will make as much if not more than Halak, unless he really sucks these next few years. It makes no sense whatsoever. I’m 100% sure if PG was as much a supporter of Halak as he is of Price, he would have signed Halak as easy as  converting a Pleks 2 on 1 pass.

Did you ever stop to wonder that maybe long-term the Habs were favouring Price over Halak. Price has earned more in his shorter career than Halak has, so far. There’s no denying Halak is a number 1 goalie in this league. He’s also two years older than Price. The Blues had to commit to 4 years to sign Halak, the Habs only two to sign Price. Halak is an UFA after that whereas Price is still a RFA, albeit arbitration eligible. This is after all a salary cap era.

There was no point in keeping both of them as they are both number 1 material.

I admit I thought Price would take longer to settle in and I am in no way surprised Halak is excelling where he is.

You also need to look at another thing. Both the Habs and the Blues play an effective defensive system. There’s no denying that both Price and Halak have been solid in nets for their respective teams. Price has made some incredible stops, hasn’t let any weak ones, which will happen, isn’t getting fazed when goals go in, is battling and looks like he’s the thoroughbred Gainey alluded to way back when.

94. ManApart says:

If you can’t find a million dollars to sign your MVP, then there is something very wrong with your cap management. That’s assuming PG wanted to and just couldn’t as some say. If he really wanted to he would have. No Eller and you got it. We have an extra body in Boyd to take his place anyways. There you go piece of cake.  PG wanted Price and we all know it had nothing to do with Cap dollars. We’ll see at the end of the year how his choice fares.

95. Former Jets Fan says:

The trade was for futures – Eller’s, Schultz’s AND Price’s futures.  One year won’t be enough to properly evaluate.  You don’t strike me as a patient fellow though.

96. HFX-HabFan says:

I find it interesting to look at each team that we play and the talent (or lack thereof) that they’ve drafted or developed over the years.  Some teams have done well, others (Toronto) have chosen to go through the free agency route and never really committed to player development.

97. fbkj says:

which is cool, its just the reposting is spamming

98. twocents says:

Oh fer petesakes, don’t read it again then.

Not everyone reads everything posted in a day. I don’t see a problem with it.

If it was done 4 or 5 times a day it might be spamming. As it is, it’s fine in my opinion.

99. fbkj says:

me feel bad now

100. HFX-HabFan says:

I’ll do it once in the morning on gameday, and then maybe somewhere in the hour before puck drop.  That’s all- not trying to ruffle feathers.

101. HFX-HabFan says:

No worries man.  You’re a good guy.

102. twocents says:

That wasn’t my point exactly.

Just showing respect for someone who puts that much work into a post.

103. fbkj says:

heyyyyyyyyy i gave him credit for his work >:(

104. fbkj says:

you arent, i blame my pregame neurosis thats my story and im stickin to it :P

105. twocents says:

Hey, it’s not like I called you names or nothing.

Maybe the “fer petesakes” was unnecessary.

106. fbkj says:

lol no worries, hence my usage of my fruity emoticon

ghg

107. Scotiamatt says:

can’t be much slower then meon ? i know he’s old but he might have a little left to get those G&G going

108. adam76 says:

He had two powerplay goals his first game back, and averaged over 25 mins a game.

109. HFX-HabFan says:

Senators I- they’re still fourth all-time in Cup wins, aren’t they?

110. BKAK72 says:

Reasons why it isn’t a surprise the HABS are in first place:

• The Eastern Conference really isn’t spectacular.
    • Did anybody think PK Subban was a spring hot-shot (only)?  This guy is Mr. Norris – soon.
    • An engage AK46 assures even more offensive opportunity for PLEKS and CAMMI.  Play short on one wing and the results are GIONTA + GIO.
    • Price.  All the talent in the world.  No reason he can’t develop into a solid net minder (with his head on straight)

Needs going forward?

• It’s quite obvious that M-A Bergeron’s shot from the point is missing.  IMO the best sol’n is a hard-shooting FWD to play with GIONTA + GIO; added to the PP for the canon.

One more solid month in NOV and the HABS have reason to believe it’s a 100 pt season this year.

– I will not apologize for being a delirious HABS fan! –

111. JD_ says:

The Montreal Canadiens Children’s Foundation will be the official charitable beneficiary of fund-raising efforts at JD’s 2010 Halloween home haunt on All Hallow’s Eve, this coming Sunday, October 31st.

Since its inception in August 2000, the Foundation has donated upwards of $10 million to over 400 charitable endeavors across the province of Quebec involved in helping and supporting underprivileged children.

You can view pictures and a few short video clips of this year’s haunt here. Most of what you see was built by yours truly with, over the last few years, the able assistance of my 14 year-old son, who now wields a pretty mean power drill. Some of you may recall that last year’s edition was the setting for CTV Montreal’s weather and entertainment reports on Halloween night.

If you plan to pass through Kirkland (West Island) as your wee ones go trick or treatin’ on Sunday night, please PM me and I’ll be more than happy to provide you with the location. If, however, you are the one trick or treatin’, well, you know.

Boo,

JD

112. fbkj says:

would explain our record against them

113. saskhabfan says:

I’m done with this team.  We are the Maple leafs of 2010

LAter

114. ManApart says:
  115. Bugs says:

Interesting points.

…I guess.

Say, where’s the love around here, anyway?

116. saskhabfan says:
    Trade was a joke. PG is a joke. Habs are a joke organization. Other teams fans are laughing and cheering all over the message boards. Price better do a lot better than last season. If he lays another egg and the Habs don’t make the playoffs, both he and PG will be lynched. We didn’t even get any NHL help. Maybe Eller can do something, but who knows. Anyways, what’s done is done and we will see, but I really have great reservations about this dopey move. I’m starting to get really sick of this Gainey, Gauthier, Martin crew. “Next step, we lose Pleks for nothing”.

This move allows us to sign Pleks.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back

I’ll believe it, when I see it

117. VancouverHab says:

To the commentators who are responding to our first place standing in the National Hockey League by demanding player, coaching and management changes, I just wondered:

Any chance you can get back onto your Meds?

118. saskhabfan says:

Submitted by ManApart on Sat, 05/27/2009 – 1:45

I lack intelligence and have less hockey knowledge then i though i did.

119. JD_ says:

Thanks, C. Video clips don’t seem to be loadin’ into the slideshow, but you can find them on there if you look around.

Spookeh.

At least no one is coming out demanding that they pack it in right now and go for the draft lottery. You know… that armoured military vehicule thingy.

Why don’t you two love birds go rent a room already!!!

122. twocents says:

For who? The team? Seems there’s plenty these days.

For Poulioo? He pops another ce soir, we’ll be seeing some.

For you? There’s always the requisite amount of that around here.

For Loafalev? You may need to go elsewhere.

123. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

So pumped up for the game…All hail Andrei MARKOV!

Can’t believe he’s back! WOO!

124. adam76 says:

LOL – post your little trool pic ya douche.

Math is hard.

125. adam76 says:

Still coud work out that way – are you really foolish enough to call me “wrong” 11 games into the year?

126. Chuck says:

If you want to be REALLY scary for next years’ setup, line up 5 mannequins and put Bulis, Lind, Zholtok, Landry and Bashkirov jerseys on ‘em.

Centre Hice: Suck on this, Leaf fans.

Nice. The two interesting stats:

1) That the Habs have winning records against every NHL team.

2) +2 with Buffalo and +1 with Florida, so yes wins against those teams are sweeter for that very reason

128. JD_ says:

I was thinkin’ a 50′-tall Malakhov.

Holdin’ a pair of skis in one hand and a bag with a big $ on it in the other.

129. Bugs says:

Why not?

Because it would be totally ridiculous to bring in another player, a finished one at that, to do the job of our players who so, far have gotten us to first place in the League, that’s why not. It’s not Poolio or Moen or even Pyatt that’s the problem with the G&G line; it’s G&G themselves. Sorry if that comes as a shock but that’s no reason to start dealing in beads.

…guerin…good grief.

Hey, here’s an idea: how about POULIOT? You know, the guy who has more POINTS than G&G? How ’bout him?

130. habs4real says:

so Pouliot has gotten us to 1st place?

131. habs4real says:

better than Poulishit

132. SeriousFan09 says:

Can’t we all just get along?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

133. adam76 says:

Its always the douchebags who hide their email / identity who are the biggest and most brave mouthpieces.  Why no contact information, scared when not protected behind mommies keyboard?

Halak and pleks could have both been signed (price woud have been odd man out).  I’m not sure why you can’t comprehend – it was a million off the mark, that money could have been found other places (or Halak may have given us a hometown discount).

I’m not making excuses – if this team has a comparable record after 30 games, I’ll be more then man enough to say I was wrong.  Its embarrassing after 10 games, you feel the need to toss out your little smack talk.

Bottom line is this – if this team was 2 and 7, you would be no where to be found.  YOU are the worst kind of fan.

134. habs4real says:

the team with the best GAA is St. Louis. 14 goals against in 8 games.

hmm. wonder who their goalie is?

135. Chuck says:

The team with the fewest shots against is St. Louis. 25.5 shots per game in 8 games.

Hmm. Wonder who their defense is?

Centre Hice: Suck on this, Leaf fans.

136. weightman25 says:

whooo carreeesss

i wonder who the goaile is on the 1st place team

137. Aaron13 says:

I wonder which defenceman will be bench sitting tonight. Spacek? Picard? I doubt if the Spaceman will be benched even though he has not been playing well.

138. Scotiamatt says:

you are right bugs , we don’t need G&G to produce any more then they have…we are in first place and have Pouliot.

139. sholi2000.com says:

I can’t believe we didn’t get Ovechkin for Halak!

They Call Me Shane

140. Bill J says:

Why is this guy not banned yet ?

141. fbkj says:

i partied with bulis… and dont be talkin sh[t about my boy Dre. Bashkirov

142. TripleX says:

Get back to me after the first Western road trip when they play some tough teams.  Not implying they will fail, just not ready to award JM the Jack Adams after 10 games.  If you believe Montreal, Tampa, Nashville and Calgary will be leading their respective divisions after 82 games, well there is that bridge I have for sale.

Getting smug before the month of November has even begun is hardly prudent.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

143. Tag says:

Markov back baby!

144. Bugs says:

Says so right here, doesn’t it?

145. Tag says:

Markov !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

146. larisalapointe says:

If you believe in the Universe, destiny, karma or whatever you want to call it, all is right with the world. Halak is where he should be and Price is where he should be. Even if you don’t believe, endless discussions aren’t going to change a thing, at least not about this issue.

The I told you so’s will have to wait a couple of years at least.
    Meanwhile I’m going to enjoy the process. 7-2-1…..and counting!

147. Bugs says:

But with Guerin? Oh, they would produce sooo much more, right? Guerin can make that happen apparently. Like he made it happen for them last year when they were producing.

We have players, mate. It’s not “the lack of Guerin” that’s screwing up their mojo, surely you see that.

148. kempie says:

How many Tonys does this place need? Surely 3 or 4 accounts should get the job done Tony Tone Ton.

149. habsfansince91 says:

I find it really amusing how last year, the only statistic that mattered for goalies was wins. Now that Price is getting the wins, those same people are now ignoring wins and trying to find something wrong with his GAA, SV% and SO. Pretty funny if you ask me.

150. VancouverHab says:

With the black helicopter brigade  ;–)

151. kempie says:

Aaaaaaaahahaahahaaha classic.

152. adam76 says:

After 30 games, if the team is still playing like this – then you can toss out the “I told you so”.  Doing it after 11 games makes you look foolish.

After 30 games – if this team has a similar record – you can copy/paste all kinds of old posts, to make yourself look like a true believer.

153. VancouverHab says:

Fair point, 3X, but what I say is that we should enjoy the current success while it is real, and wait to start moaning about specific weakness only if & when we start to fail….

154. MTLForever says:

I just bought 3 tickets for Toronto Vs Montreal February 24. Section 107. I am pretty stoked.

155. habs365 says:

I wouldn’t say your habs4real when you’re rubbing it in the fans and teams face how great Halak is, carey is playing just as good and so is auld, anyone can be a good goalie when you have the fewest shots in the league against, we’ll see down the road whom the best goalie is, you maybe eating crow….

156. Scotiamatt says:

i would take a chance on him, i think him on the line could get things going…that’s all, moen and the boys just don’t seem to add that little extra that G&G need. I know he’s not going to play 20 mins a game or maybe even 10min but i think the team could benifit from that type of player… he did pot 20 goals last year.

157. Danno says:

If you don’t mind my asking, how much did you have to pay for them?

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

158. samTHEman says:

Spacek + ice = Real DY NO MITE waiting to explode in NET!!!!!

159. VancouverHab says:

I hear that there’s a new treatment therapy on the market for pouliophilia, Bugs….

But seriously, how about we wait to fix the “problem” with G&G until, you know, it becomes a problem. Because I see, oh, at least fifteen-odd teams way down below us in the standings that would work hard to develop our “problem” with our lightening-fast, perpetually-threatening, closing-minutes-shutdown line of G&G….

And Pouliot, of course…

160. notbigbird says:

I wonder who cares.

161. punkster says:

The black heli was my method of battling the metal behemoth. And it worked.

162. Willy the bum says:

Having the best GAA doesn’t mean the team is first place in the league.

163. mike g says:

$14,000…

or something like that…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

164. fbkj says:

3 tickets… one of THOSE people i see

165. TripleX says:

I agree, let’s enjoy the ride as long as it lasts.  It is a long season and plenty of time to be the disgruntled fan.  LOL

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

166. Tag says:

ole ole ole ole, ole ole!!!!!!!!!!!!

167. Tag says:

ole ole ole ole ole, ole ole !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Markov baby!

168. FB says:

John Lui says it’s Picard in the Panthers/Canadiens Ice Chips.

But claims Martin was very happy with his play

169. JIMVINNY says:

Really, really lame man.  He might be a prick for throwing your comments back in your face, but at least they are actually YOUR comments.  If you can’t stand behind them, maybe you should have thought twice about making them.

And the not-so-clever editing-someone-else’s-quote crap is stuff I’d expect to see at hockeybuzz.  not here.

170. JIMVINNY says:

Must be Ty Conklin.  .920 save %, 1.85 GAA.  Won every game he’s played for the blues this season.  Very impressive stuff.  Thanks for pointing that out.

171. Da Hema says:

Hello Stubbs and Boone:

Is there some compelling reason why this idiot “habs4real” still has an account here?

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

Health Canada is reminding Canadians that consumption of the Toronto Maple Leafs has led to vomiting, fever, bloody diarrhea, dementia, and penile dysfunction.

172. Dintrox says:

Just a heads up. They dusted off Bob Cole for the game tonight. while Ottawa is saddled with milen and dean brown.

December 4, 2009 – Elmer Lach’s jersey took its rightful place with the Rocket’s in the rafters.

173. Willy the bum says:

I smell a great win.

174. SeriousFan09 says:

Just a heads up. They exhumed Bob Cole for the game tonight.

Fixed.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

175. otter649 says:

If Guerin did not play the last two seasons with Crosby & Malkin he would have been out of the league two years ago………

176. Bugs says:

Ok, you would take a chance on Guerin; duly noted.

For my part, I think it’s absolutely preposterous to remove a player on our roster to make way for a 40-yr-old player’s salary on our payroll. Not to mention the fact that there’s no Sidney Crosby here, and if this guy’s so cheap and fabulous, why didn’t Pitt keep’m?

C’mon, Scotia, you’re dealing in beads; aim HIGHER than Guerin at least if you wanna throw your 1st place players already on the team under the bus.

177. HabFanSince72 says:

You always look foolish adam.

178. Bugs says:

I like Bob Cole.

Is that so wrong?

179. patience is a virtue says:

New to posting, have been reading the articles and comments here for two seasons.

Love the banter, even the ridiculous hyperbole (makes one laugh), but figured there’d be a bit more peace and joy round these parts given the current situation in Habsland.   But I guess folks have staked their fragile e-egos on certain positions and projections.  I loved the moves Gianey made in June-July 2009, and respect JM as a coach, so I feel confident in my prophetic skills these days.  But who knows what the story will be come 2011?

My take is that we should all be very happy and very patient.  Markov is back.  But will he retain his resilience and poise?  Where to Subban, Eller, Pouliott, AK?  If they all play to their potential… wowza!  I am not worried about Price or G&G.  They will all do just fine this season.

My real concerns are the tougher opponents in Nov and the possibility/inevitability of injuries to key players.  I’m not sure what we’d do without Pleks, for example…

I am also worried about the dramatic decline of Spacek.  And I was hoping the Hammer would still be good enough to get something decent for at the trade deadline this season, but perhaps that was overly optomistic?  I wonder, would it be considered rude for the CH to trade him near the end of his contract after the years of workhorse service?

Looking forward to participating…

180. Da Hema says:

Why Bugzed? (And the question isn’t rhetorical).

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

181. Chuck says:

What kind of school did you go to where 7+2+1=11?

Centre Hice: Suck on this, Leaf fans.

182. ManApart says:

Who says I can’t stand behind my comments? 90% are very reasonable and prove to be correct in the long run, but even if they aren’t they are always very measured and explained.

183. Chuck says:

Hahaha. I forgot all about that little exchange.   :)

Centre Hice: Suck on this, Leaf fans.

184. Da Hema says:

Welcome to the rough and tumble (and fun)!

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

185. Willy the bum says:

Just getting into the spirit this weekend… :)

186. MTLForever says:

they were like 400 each

187. SeriousFan09 says:

I’d like Cole as well, if the video feed was on a 7-second delay so his calls were keeping up with the action.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

188. saskhabfan says:

As usual a huge swing and a miss by the unemployed drunken town clown. This post has nothing to do with playing 11 games or 30 games even though its only been 10. This post has everything to do with manapart saying the halak trade had nothing to do with being able to keep plekanec. When this post he made says we were going to lose pleky,chuck says the trade will allow us to keep pleky,manapart says “he will believe it when he sees it”.

Well,it happened. The trade allowed us to keep pleky and now the guy who said “i will believe it when i see it” can’t accept it and is now making up new excuses,just like you do. Looks like the only people i made look foolish are you and manajoke,yet again.

189. fbkj says:

jesus… which row?

190. ManApart says:

Picard is single handedly ruining our chances of getting MAB back after his rehab.

191. ZepFan2 says:

Naw Bugs, it’s not wrong.

It just means you’re a masochist. ;)

————————————————————————

192. Chuck says:

To tell you the truth, you didn’t even need to add the thought bubble. Eveyone who’s seen that cartoon knows that scene by heart.   :)

Centre Hice: Suck on this, Leaf fans.

193. fbkj says:

wow this actually made me like picard a little more now :)

194. Chuck says:

We’ve only played 10 games. Or are you from the future? And if so, did we win tonight? I still have to get my ProLine ticket.

Centre Hice: Suck on this, Leaf fans.

195. Aaron13 says:

His play has been fine whereas Spacek makes me nervous when he’s on the ice. It seems he’s easily beat when the opposition skates into him – he doesn’t twist well to his right. I know if you’re aleft-handed shot it is harder to twist to the right but he’s a high-paid pro. Unfortunately, it seems he’s lost his speed and overall skating skills. However, his point shot is still good as is Picard’s.

196. Bugs says:

Because he loves Kovalev.

(Edit) amongst other things. But mostly because no one can shout the Artiste’s name like him.

197. observer says:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think there are only 2 current teams who have a winning record lifeime vs. the Habs? Buffalo and Florida?

Ya but we have played 10 games, with only 17 GA.

199. Da Hema says:

Ok….

That is a creepy reply though.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

200. sholi2000.com says:

This post is the God’s honest truth.  That’s why you just have to ignore what those 6 guys here say.

They Call Me Shane

201. Da Hema says:

I believe it is 22 Ian.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

202. observer says:

at least cole likes the habs. a couple of those other cbc anouncers like the ottawa one or those western sportnet announcers dont

203. twocents says:

I  wrote this in an email to an old HI/Oer just now, so I thought I’d post it here too, it being germane and all.

I think this roster is deep at all positions, well balanced, having a nice mix of players, who all mostly share speed as a common skill. I think it’s a cohesive group that plays for each other and is free of the type of locker room disruptions that have distracted this team far too often over the last 10 years. I think the youth to experience mix is very nicely distributed. I think they posses a large and strong leadership group who respect each other. I think they are well coached and are in shape. I think they have just the right amount of pressure from the farm to keep those in the NHL on their toes. This team does somewhat lack truly high end, established talent. It still lacks size in the top six. It lacks a proven shot on the PP and the D could stand to be far more physical. But no team is perfect, and we do ice a very nice 3rd and forth lines and 3rd pair D. This helps take pressure off the first line guys. I like what see.

204. Say Ash says:

Auld to start? First star, and all, hehe…

205. MTLForever says:

P, im just paying for my ticket only :P i dont have to pay for the train/hotel or anything else. so i am pretty satisfied.

It is indeed early, but very sweet. We have a very good team, with chemistry, and ability.

I thought it was only Florida.

208. sholi2000.com says:

Clean up on isle four

Shane Just spit up on the computer

Thanks for the chuckle.  Have your guys call my guys and well do lunch.

They Call Me Shane

209. observer says:

toronto is jinxed in sports. did you ever see a team lose a football game on the last play the argos did last night to the als?

210. Jbird says:

Yeah – Buffalo?  I’m not sure, to be honest.  But, Buffalo?

211. fbkj says:

only florida last i heard

212. observer says:

you could be right, last time i heard it talked about was about 2 years ago and then buff and florida were the only ones. but it was close with buff and i think lately habs have done well with buff?

213. fbkj says:

wow thats about what my seats would fetch for then…

214. Jbird says:

No shame – when I was a piss poor kid in 1999 I thought paying 40 bucks each for Public Enemy Tickets was crazy  . . . . then I saw the show! “19 90 NINE! – Another – Summer . . . . ”

But really, you could of said – “I do mind you asking me that question!” :)

215. fbkj says:

no i dont think buffalo ever had a lifetime winning, i recall that fact about two years as well and it was only florida

216. sholi2000.com says:

I hate the Panthers.

Mostly because they have a team and Winnipeg doesn’t.

Submitted by Chuck on Sat, 10/30/2010 – 17:33.

What kind of school did you go to where 7+2+1=11?

217. andrewberkshire says:

Also like what I see, great post.

218. twocents says:

Thanks for the “I”

219. Da Hema says:

A thoughtful assessment. I suspect many posters here may be too young to realise how ill the organisation was starting 15 years ago from its inability to develop players. I think the Habs need to continue improving this aspect, but no doubt the organisation now has depth in a way it has not had for almost two decades. That makes a big difference in terms of competitiveness. Former players like Bulis and Zednik could basically float around the ice because they knew the Habs had no one to replace them. Even more honorable players like Craig Rivet seemed to accept mediocrity. That is no longer the case. An engaged, committed team is always more enjoyable to watch, win or lose.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

220. Da Hema says:

Shouldn’t you hate the Phoenix Coyotes, given what you wrote?

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

Is it possible to say Mission accomplished without ever needing to allude to GWG?

I’ll admit that the Habs haven’t hung Price out to dry so far this season as was so often the case last. But seriously! Protect Price?

I’ll jump into the debate here and conjecture that Price has been protecting the Habs too as well as their net. The team is limiting shots and scoring timely goals but Price is defending himself well enough and his crease and the twine behind his posts. There is definitely a case of I got your back going around but I am giving Price more credit on this one. He’s stepped up and held his own.

222. twocents says:

Sadly, as recently as two years ago, players like Sergei and Lats could float around with impunity.

223. VancouverHab says:

Well said. It is indeed time to give Bob Gainey his due.

224. HabsFanInTampa says:

Then you should hate all the other NHL teams, no?

225. Danno says:

PK + Markov on D = DY NO MITE !!!!!!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

226. otter649 says:

Go head – I never get tired of hearing Desjardins by Mr Bob Cole………

227. SeriousFan09 says:

One good thing about this season? Team’s gotten the SA down from 32 last season to 27 and Markov isn’t even back yet. Less work for Carey and easier shots to take each game and he’s stepped up to the job. The two-way trust between the team and it’s netminder is huge for creating a winning season.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

228. HabsFanInTampa says:

Sheldon Souray injured AGAIN. Whew, the Habs got rid of him just in the nick of time. Thank goodness we didn’t sign him for what he thought he was worth and shipped him out.

229. Da Hema says:

Sobering point.

I am so glad they were excised. Players like that almost make one wish to cheer for other teams.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

230. twocents says:

Not to mention Bug’s bud… Loafalev. ;o)

231. otter649 says:

I liked the way Bob Cole called out Desjardins  in 1993………..

232. Bugs says:

Like Heppa says, you should hate Phoenix for that.

It really gets my goat when people don’t hate properly.

233. Mark C says:

Wrong on both counts according to this site, Montreal is plus 2 wins vs. Buffalo and 1 win vs. Florida.

234. Bugs says:

84-pt gettin, 37-goal scorin Loafalev, y’all!

235. Bugs says:

Also brilliant.

I will add that to my reasons with your permission, sir.

236. fbkj says:

bookmarked, thank you, my googlez couldnt find this and yay we finally got florida off our backs *knock on wood*

237. Da Hema says:

You’re right Bugzed.

These kids today….

They just don’t know how to put on a good hate anymore.

I blame the schools.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

238. punkster says:

You’re all sunshine and roses before a game, aren’t you Tony? Geez man, the Rags are in TdotGoose. You should be more concerned with that one.

239. rocketsglare says:

Imagine a PP where Markov and P.K. are firing away from both points. That would be an awesome

sight. But, more than likely, they would be on different PP squads. But, it would be nice to see the

two on the same PP. One can hope.

240. Scotiamatt says:

why not sign Billy Guerin to play with G&G. he might come really cheap, if it doesn’t work send him down to the minors or let hm retire

241. Bugs says:

I blame the leafs. Chock-full of hate already, theirs is spillin over the rim and droppin where it shouldn’t.

242. Mark C says:

And for chuckles…The Leafs have a losing record against 15 current NHL teams.

Wins against Buff and Florida are a little more sweet due to these all time records.

SUMMIT NEXT FRIDAY NIGHT AT HURLEY’s PUB BOYS AND GIRLS,….TO SEE OUR LEAGUE LEADING CLUB.

2010 HIO Fan Summit Itinerary Nov. 5th and 6th in Montreal

FRIDAY
    Nov. 5th, We are watching the Habs vs  Sabers game at Hurley’s Pub
    1225 Crescent St.  on big screen around 6pm. Name tags will be given out.

SAT. morning, Breakfast will be at Chez Coras 1240 Drummond St. at 8:30am

SAT.
    at 10;30 Bell Center tour and Habs Hall of Fame tour. The “Rockets”
    granddaughter Cathrine Richard is putting on the tour for us this year.

SAT.
    at 2:45 Pregame meal and The Gainey Children’s Foundation Raffle at The Baton
    Rouge Rest. 1050 Mountain St.

Don’t forget to bring along something to
    contribute to the raffle please.

Across the street at 7pm our Habs take on Kovalev and the Ottawa Senator’s

After
    game celebration. We have the second floor of Hurley’s Pub reserved for
    us. And like every year our Gazette leaders will be there to celibrate with us.

Everyone is welcome, so see you all in Montreal.

» Read Ian Cobb’s HI/O Blog

244. twocents says:

I was thinking more of the 47 point, 18- goal scoring Loafalev or the 49 point, 18- goal guy who skated in Ottawa last year. I liked the 84/37 guy just fine, wouldn’t turn my back to him, but liked him just fine.

Liked him so much I thought we should have traded him for someone while his stock was at it’s highest in the summer of ’08,. In hindsight it would have been a brilliant move.

Even more so in the foresight it was proposed.

At least we agree on Pouliiooo

245. Former Jets Fan says:

G&G can skate fast, Bill Guerin can’t.  Gomez will have turned the puck over by the time Guerin parks himself in front of the goalie.

246. nightmare_49 says:

Arpon Basu tweets …..  Weiss rolled an ankle playing soccer in hallway and “probably” won’t play against #Habs, according to #Panthers coach DeBoer

247. ooder says:

if he retires he will still count against the cap.

also do u really see Geurin fitting in with the habs speed game?

——————

88 is the new 23

248. habs001 says:

last year when markov came back he has hot for the first few games but than he hit the wall and looked very average for a couple of weeks before he picked it up again..this is common for injured players…eller has looked good overall but he may be more of a two way checker/assist  centre as he has only scored 93 goals in his last 6 years of organized hockey…there have been many players that score a lot of goals prior to the nhl but dont score in the nhl but not too many with so so goal scoring stats and yet they score more than 15-17 goals a year in the nhl….prediction gion will go on a hot streak where he gets 7-8 goals in 10 games…the team is winning the close games …

249. fbkj says:

man… we could use more barons and eagles

and thank god senators one folded, they pwned our n00b asses

Hey Peter Johnston,

Long drive from the Yukon to the Summit,!

Just show up at
    Hurley’s Pub Friday. Make sure you tell them you are part of the HIO group. We
    will be upstairs watching on big screen. Write down the addresses of
    all the events. See you at the Pub or the Hotel or breakfast Sat.
    morning. Read the Summit page for more information. Just show up, no
    registration. And we will try to get a ticket for you somehow. Hope you
    see this

See you there.

I would e-mail you but you have no contact info on your profile.

Ian

251. Bugs says:

No, my bro redesigned it for reasons all his own. He da boss.

Still doesn’t take away from the fury of Poolio though.

252. nightmare_49 says:

Nothing wrong with a good clean fight and this is the second fight that i remember that Engelland has looked superior.

Mr.Boone pursuit to turn this blog girly does not get my vote.

253. nightmare_49 says:

Game summary from Dawgs victory last night:

254. habrez says:

Giordano 5 years 20 million? Seems really high, although I have only briefly seen Giordano play.

What does this mean for Markov?

255. Bill J says:

Depends on wether Markov is more like Plekanec….

Clearly Pleks wanted to stay in Montreal, he clearly would have received more on the open market.

Everything I’ve read on Markov seems to imply he will be reasonable in his salary demands and he wants to stay in Montreal long term.

habrez – I don’t think it will have any impact on Markov’s deal.  Giordano is a good, young Dman who is on the rise. Even though the coin seems a bit high part of it is being banked on his potential.  He is being paid for what he hopefully will do.   Markov is an established star who will be getting a contract that will combine a few stellar years along with a few when he is on the wrong side of 35.  He will be paid for what he has done in the past as well as what he might do in th future.  His coin will eventually seem a bit high as well but that is the nature of the CBA.

257. notbigbird says:

So … in what period will Markov be injured, and how many months will he be on the shelf (he asked, madly trying to stir the pot)?

258. Rugger says:

OT of game 7 of the cup finals, as he shoots the game winning goal.  On the shelf until the parade.

“Don’t you know, we’re caught in a trap, and I can’t walk (skate?) out….” (Elvis, Suspicious Minds). Hab fans might want to prepare themselves for a ‘skate in the mud’ slogging game tonight against Florida. Panther coach Peter DeBoer will be bringing his trapping, defense-first team to town so you may want to have a pillow handy. I appreciate the hard work put in by the Cats but it’s no wonder they can’t fill an arena.

Scott Clemmensen go the start against Toronto on Tuesday so I guess that means we will be facing Tomas Vokoun (2.57/.910). He’s still a quality goalie at the age of 34 and will certainly be a challenge for the Habs (even though he blew a tire against Ottawa on Thursday night). His contract ends this year so you can bet he will be moved near the deadline. There will be at least three teams that will think Vokoun could help them win a Cup and his cap hit will be reasonable by the time late February rolls around.

A lack of scoring is the Panthers’ main problem. Being 25th in GF and 26th on the PP basically tells the tale (these stats are eerily close to last year’s). When Marty Reasoner leads the way….

Dale Tallon didn’t waste any time kick-starting the rebuilding process and I’m sure that will continue this spring. He has eight UFAs and most of them will be available this spring. I would expect another fire sale. Right now, you have to figure it’s a toss up between Florida and Edmonton for the 1st overall pick. In fact, that’s my worst nightmare as we prepare for Halloween. Florida finishes dead last and selects Sean Couturier. That’s just what we need – the two best French-Canadien stars playing in the hockey hotbed of Florida. I really miss The Flower.

Of course, it could be worse. My greatest nightmare on this Allhallows weekend is that Toronto will finish dead last. That would mean that Boston would select first and grab Couturier. That is a blow that could set the Habs back for years. No Bossy, Bourque, Savard, Lacavalier or Couturier.

If we could only go back in time. “Let’s do the time warp again”.

260. TomNickle says:

I hope they play the trap all game to be honest.  They weren’t able to execute it worth a darn against the Leafs the other night.  Forwards in the neutral zone were almost always late jumping to isolate and their defensemen have poor gap control.

261. adam76 says:

That is BS – Picard should be playing.  Unreal.

262. andrewberkshire says:

Or not.

263. samTHEman says:

ANyone else notice that Spacek’s passing has been HORRIBLE? None of his passes are even close to tape.

264. Bill J says:

I can think of a few contracts in Toronto that make Gomez look like Crosby.

It’s all relative.

265. nightmare_49 says:

Steve – I would rather wave my free Canadian flag around than brag about your Conservative’s GST.

266. VancouverHab says:

Who’s J.T. — Jack Todd? It sounds like his customary peurility…

“Gomez might be the worst use of seven million bucks since the time the Liberals sent out free Canadian flags to fight the separatists.” You just have to love this J.T. quote from last night.

268. Willy the bum says:

Ah those Auld puns…

This will never get “Auld” (old).

269. twocents says:

“Submitted by twocents on Fri, 10/15/2010 – 08:39.

Haven’t been posting much lately, but I’ve been thinking this for awhile and thought I’d post it.
    I think this is the best edition of the team the Habs have iced since at least’93-’94. Not that this says a lot, but it is very encouraging.

:o)

Eric – It’s early but some of the question marks from August now seem to be positive signs.  Price is rock steady, AK46 has stepped up, Subban and Pouliot are growing into their roles.  G&G have made some nifty moves by bringing in guys such as Halpern, Picard and Eller.  The shots on goal totals are down to a reasonable level.  We will eventually have to face tougher opposition but we also might be dealing from a position of strength when that happens.  The bitching and in-fighting seems to have totally disappeared which bodes well for the future.

Downers?  The 2nd line but that should change at some point.  Gionta and Gomez have really only had the one stellar year so expectations have to be tempered somewhat.  The PP?  It’s going to take Markov some time to hit his stride but you have to think that his contributions will eventually make a difference.  The three aging Dmen?  I love the depth we have right now so G&G must find a way to keep all 8 guys in the fold.  Fate could quickly turn things around to the point where Picard and O’Byrne need to become solid emergency replacements.

271. forskis says:

Many have posted about Pleks being MVP and all that and rightly so…but in terms of actual hardware…do you think he is an early candidate for the Selke?  Who else in the League is having a similar season with all the defensive responsibilities?

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

272. CanadienBoy says:

I always like Plak. he actuely remind me of a young Zetterberg .

273. HabsTrueBlue says:

What exactly do you mean by “Who else in the League is having a similar season with all the defensive responsibilities”? If you are referring to Plekanec’s two-way game then you should know that the Selke is based only on how well the forward plays in a defensive role.

I don’t even know if Plekanec has been the best defensive forward for the Habs much less being a league-wide candidate.

274. Former Jets Fan says:

I think he is, but it’s pretty hard to quantify or qualify a Selke nominee’s contributions, and for that reason I find it’s one of the more “reputation-based” trophies.  Has he earned his chops yet?  I think the league at large is noticing, quickly.

[edit] that said, I think takeaways would be a stat that gets considered, and Pleks got tripled by Datsyuk last season, and doubled by Kesler.  Though I’ve heard the Bell Centre official scorer can be a little stingy with takeaways and overly generous with giveaways.

Bryan, Bryan, Bryan.  There you go again making assumptions without really knowing the facts.

I’m proud to say that I have never voted for the Conservatives in my life.  You won’t see me supporting the likes of Harris and Harper.  I’m basically a Liberal supporter when voting at all three levels.

I envy you when it comes election time.  You just go ahead and vote for the Bloc (year after year) as they hold up the rest of the country for ransom.  You get to live off the spoils while crying in your beer.  The fact that it’s a Harp lager only adds to the irony.

276. nightmare_49 says:

Steve – There you go again, more anti Quebec propaganda from you again. BTW , just to give you a heads up, Rejean Tremblay frequents Hurley’s occasionally on Fridays as he has a professional arrangement with Melnick so i will be happy to introduce you to him during the first intermission of the summit so you can have a quiet political chat,

Lets get ready to rumble.

277. habs4real says:

Markov must be on cloud nine. must be nice to be considered GOD!

was he god last year when he was playing and habs struggled thru the season , backing into the playoffs?

278. rocketsglare says:

The return of Markov will add depth to the D, improve the PP, and spark some of our struggling lines.

His ability to move the puck and spot the open man will definitely help on the PP and improve further

5 on 5 play. But he will need time to ease into game shape, so he will have periods where he appears

slow or out of sync with the rest of the team. Given his quick recovery time I see Markov being back in

stride with the team by early December. Then watch out.

279. TomNickle says:

Halpern, and, I can’t believe I’m saying it, Andrei Kostitsyn have been great defensively also.   As has Gomez.

That said, Plekanec is hands down our best defensive player and if he can improve his faceoff execution dramatically he’ll have a shot at the Selke.

280. habs4real says:

dial me back at game #60 and tell where the almight habs are in the standing.

281. WestHab says:

I’m very excited about the way the team is playing despit the lousy PP. I don’t think there are any free loaders. Gill is playing much better than a year ago as is Kostitsyn. Gionta is getting very close a few times a game, it’s coming. Gomez has not added much offensivly yet but I think he’s been great on the Pk. Gogres is playing his best yet as is Plex. You know Cami is going to brake out soon. PKS has been just so fun to watch. I really like what Halpren has brought. Tonight Marki is back!!! I’m buzzed!

282. adam76 says:

Outstanding contribution – thanks!

283. twocents says:

Steve, There’s certainly room for improvement and you’ve pointed out the two clear aspects. But, most importantly this team is playing a consistently well organized game. They are cohesive and ooze a sense of common purpose.

Gee, a person might be lead to think they are very well coached.

I love the way Eller is being brought along without burdening him with heavy expectations. I am concerned with Pouliot, but the winning allows patience and that’s good for now.

284. TomNickle says:

Funny how that works eh.  Latendresse and Sergei are gone and all of a sudden we aren’t having any public rifts in the dressing room or in Brossard and everybody’s playing for each other.

Anybody see Cammalleri give Price the face wash after last night’s game?  Price looked ticked but Cammalleri and Gill thought it was funny.

Eric – If I could make one ‘realistic’ change to our team it would be the addition of another good, young foreard to help creative some competition and provide some insurance.

In July, I wanted to move Hamrlik’s contract.  It wouldn’t be an easy task and there’s no way that G&G would send a veteran like Roman to the minors just to save salary.  But in my ‘what if’ world, I would have signed Shaone Morrisoon and traded for Andrew Ladd.  It would add some young players with size who are ready for prime time.  They could be part of a Price led run for the Cup in the next few years.  The only problem was that Atlanta paid a stiff price for Ladd, especially seeing that he was moved as part of a salary dump.  To get Ladd, we  probably would have had to give up Kristo along with a 2nd round pick.  Ladd’s only 24 but I assume most Hab fans wouldn’t have traded Kristo.

Getting back to reality, if we need another top 6 guy, we might just have to wait for the trade deadline.  That’s another discussion for another day.

286. TomNickle says:

No more Andrew Ladd stuff please.  I get sad thinking about him being available this summer and us not getting him.

I don’t usually have the knee jerk reaction to add every player from every other NHL team.

Ladd is one that I would’ve added in a heartbeat.

287. j2w4habs25 says:

I was just thinking about this the other day, but not with Latts :P

288. ZepFan2 says:

“backing into the playoffs”

hmm. wonder who their goalie was?

————————————————————————

289. samTHEman says:

Could someone clarify something for me? I have Bell and  Channel 1050 (CBCHE) is showing Rangers vs Leafs and Channel 1030 (CBCMH) is showing the Habs game. Didn’t know there were 2 CBC’s…what am I not getting here?

290. HFX-HabFan says:

Depends on if you have satellite or digital cable.  Even basic digital cable packages will have two CBC stations (from different cities), so how CBC chose to divide their telecasts up nationally tonight will affect what you see on each respective station.

291. samTHEman says:

I have Bell Satellite. I just always thought there was only one CBC telecast.

292. HFX-HabFan says:

From what I recall, Bell satellite had CBC outlets from all across the country.  You probably have like 9 different CBC stations.

293. samTHEman says:

Ah..thanks for the clarification. Yes I see, I have about 9, most of them showing Leafs Rangers and 1 showing Habs/Leafs and the other showing Boston/Ottawa. Oh joy, I get to watch Cherry in his marvelous peacock suit. ” LISTEN KIDS! …. “

294. Bugs says:

I’ma say it again. … cuz that’s the type of little girl I am.

To all you Darche-bashers: In. Your. Face. That’s right, baby. Oh, yeah. Oooo, it burns, don’t it? It buuuuurns. Well, in. Your. Face.

Cuz THAT was a hockey goal.

Zowza.

(Edit) Oh, and that kid again, the one crampin the 2nd line’s style, you know the one I mean? Got himself another point. Rackin’em up. Producin. Like Eller. … oh wait, NOT like Eller. Sorry.

Good golly, am I a prig…

295. Bugs says:

Dare I yell it?

The Priceberg has returned?!!

296. rwparent says:

Woooohoooo – first place without your best player on the bench for 10 games is pretty good, right?

Would everyone please lay off the Halak comments – he’s gone and clearly having the money available to sign Pleks was the right thing to do – proof is in the pudding. Eller is going to be very, very good. The kid’s skill level and intensity are obvious on every shift and our fine coaching staff will fine tune him soon enough.

Enjoy it instead of second quessing a GM with a pretty solid record. Of course, we all want Markov back but messing with the chemistry of a winning team is always iffy – hope it works out as it should.

297. ManApart says:

What’s done is done and the Habs are winning (for now) so all is well. Trust me, if things turn around, you’ll be hearing about it. But for God sakes can we stop acting like this stupid myth about Halak having to be traded to sign Pleks is anything but idiotic. I mean, can someone explain to me how trading Price instead of Halak, would not have allowed us to sign Pleks? You people do understand Halak only makes 1 million more than Price. You people do understand that there are a myriad of ways PG could have found the extra million or more if needed. Use your heads people.

298. nastyHABit says:

i totally agree…..jaro is gone and i wish him well…..Eller is gonna be a good one once he puts on some more beef and gets his feet under him……i remember watching Lafleur in his first season and he wasn’t too impressive…..PATIENCE PEOPLE

299. Bugs says:

In-depth report on my boy.

Benoit Pouliot busting moves.

300. twocents says:

Bugs, You didn’t redesign the Habsbros site just because some malcontent here was denigrating it’s retro look, did you?

301. HFX-HabFan says:

Predictions for a score tonight?  Predictions for Markov’s ice time?

Anyone else thinking JM might dress 7 D and go with just 11 forwards?

302. smiler2729 says:

Florida 2, Montreal 1 OT, ya can’t win ‘em all and besides ya don’t want everybody expecting an 79-2-1 season here.

I’m betting Markov is in for Picard. I want Boyd back in there for Lapierre.

303. Former Jets Fan says:

4-2 for the good guys.  Markov logs 21:12.  Picard sits.  PK notches his 1st regular season goal.  Markov hits the scoresheet with 2 primary assists.  Shots are lop-sided in Montreal’s favour.

304. habs365 says:

The team is winning, what more do you want. when they start losing than that’ll be the time to think about making moves, don’t try fixing something that’s not broken…

everyone may not be scoring, but they’re playing as a team and that wins games, they’ve already proven it, 1st place is not luck, and the Goalies they are just great…

305. emann_222 says:

Well things have certainly looked better this week. And beating the Islanders back to back was no easy feat – although there were moments that the team made it look that way. The best news we could possibly have is that we’re sitting atop the league – not just the East.

And tonight we have the return of Markov (noted in a feel good read (NEW POST) at BBBR http://www.bleedbleublancrouge.blogspot.com.

Can’t wait to see the response and ovation he gets on his return to the Bell Center tonight.

Visit me at http://www.bleedbleublancrouge.blogspot.com

306. Harani says:

Pleky was a hotdog.

Moen was a witch.

Pouliot was a sumo.

And Spacek was a Teletubbie! A purple one with a pink purse! LOL!

Common factor: They all hated it. Check this video out to find out who else had bad Halloween costumes.

“It must be love!”

307. nightmare_49 says:

Hockey Primetime Show on now ….   http://www.hockeyprimetime.com/news/headlines/live-hpt-show-debuts-at-aloft-montreal-2pm-est

James Murphy and Conor McKenna host.

308. Bugs says:

With all this Poolio talk goin around (ok, I may be responsible for SOME of it), I hope you’ve all taken the time to glance at the Central’s in-depth report on his emergence. You might not notice just to look at’m but the kid’s one tough hombre.

309. Habs4ever Fan says:

Habs are hot but it doesn’t look like Las Vegas thinks they will win tonight!

They were favorited byy a much larger margin last night then they are now.

Perhaps someone is injured or not playing?

310. HFX-HabFan says:

I posted this earlier this morning, but for those of you who didn’t see it yet:

Booth-Weiss-Horton

Huselius-Olesz-Frolik

Hagman-Matthias-A Stewart

Glass-Niedermayer-Dvorak

Campbell

Bouwmeester-Boyle

Spacek-Jovanovski

Kulikov-Kuba

Garrison

Salak

Markstrom

Total cost = $61.58mil (or nearly $2.2mil over the cap)

311. fbkj says:

dude i like your posts but these ones, i realize you put some effort into it, but is it totally necessary?