First place? Get out of here!

No, it’s true.

Pat Hickey’s game story

Quotes from the room

Habs fans on the Island

Promising start to the season

• Worst pun pinner: “Auld Spice, le parfum de la victoire”

• Pierre Ladouceur’s game analysis

• Red Fisher on Orland Kurtenbach, Jaro Halak, Alexander Yakushev

Red’s notebook

• Russell scores two in ‘Dogs’ win

And while HIO deplores violence in all its forms, we bend the rules when the victim is a Philadelphia Flyer:

4WOXrMXPIgE

1. Former Jets Fan says:

Maybe just one, and he sets up PK for his first regular season NHL goal.  He’s due!

2. Chuck says:

Can we pencil in Markov in for two goals tonight?

Centre Hice: Suck on this, Leaf fans.

3. bigjames says:

based on what i’ve seen this season. if we can beat boston. my confidence will grow. they are the team to beat in ourdivision in my opinion. and i hate them with a passion. but they are good. lets see….

He is not a terrible referee at all, he just sees to much and calls everything. It drives me nuts, that he can not let the boys play.

But the players know for sure, before the game, what you are going to get away with. So discipline is key.

5. TomNickle says:

Check out the game blog and read my post about him

6. nastyHABit says:

10 games in….7,2 and 1…..NOT TOO SHABBY!….keep it rollin’ guys…..can’t wait to see markov and subban on the PP

7. Storm Man says:

Kadri….. Cough cough. I have a few friends here that are Flames fans, That is insulting to them to say Calgary would want Kadri.

8. Former Jets Fan says:

Really bored one day last year, I pored over Florida’s draft picks over the years, and I’d have to say that no team has done so little with so much at the draft – consistently in the top 5, and no franchise players (yet) to speak of, and few – if any – impact players.  And JM surely had a hand in some of that futility – though they did seem to draft marginally better under him than his predecessors.

9. mike g says:

Is it just me or was Chris Lee terrible once again last night?…

He shouldn’t be allowed to ref in this league.

And for some reason it seems like he really hates us. When AK got his penalty last night, I thought Andrei was gonna kill him.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

10. Storm Man says:

(for now) I won’t jump on you’re armchair logic.

11. Former Jets Fan says:

Does that make Tim Thomas a demi-god?

12. Clay4bc says:

I have to say that Iginla is one of my favourite players ever to not play for the Habs, but I would not trade either Cammalleri, Plekanec or Markov for him at this point in his career. We need to remember that Iggy is getting on in years, and his production will suffer soon. Best trade Calgary ever made was getting him for Niewendyke (sp?) though. Good for Dallas though as well – can’t forget that this trade helped them greatly to win the cup that season.

.__________________________

Fighting Ignorance since 1970 (It’s taking longer than I thought).

13. ManApart says:

Why shouldn’t he? Do you see what Halak is doing? The man is superhuman.

14. Mattyleg says:

Nah, my yuks go with Gill. He’s more self-deprecating. Gomer comes off as arrogant.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

15. TomNickle says:

Your last sentence is one that many here should pay attention to.

If you don’t enjoy the ride in between championships, there’s no point to being a fan.

16. otter649 says:

A rule was put in that the first team you play internationally for is the team you play your whole international career with – Peter Stasny was involved with 3 teams/countries internationally in his career………

17. Mattyleg says:

Sigh… another win…

Same Auld, same Auld…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Markov is just another very good player for our TEAM. He will be an
    improvement over Obyrn and Picard for sure.  We have great depth and
    balance, from Hamilton through to our roster in Mtl.

We will not
    be blowing the opposition away with over whelming scoring this year. We
    will however be playing sound defensive, positional and disciplined
    hockey with speed. Most games are going to be very close affairs, with
    us coming out on top much more than not. We will be making a nice noise
    around this league over the course of the regular season, and be in a
    position to take on bottom teams the first few rounds of the playoffs.

We
    have waited a lot of years while quality management put this team back
    together after many years of neglect. We are finally able to watch fun
    and competitive hockey. It is just wonderful to see this great
    chemistry throughout the organisation.

Enjoying the process is half the fun.

Read Ian Cobb’s HI/O Blog

19. TomNickle says:

Gomez is funnier.

20. adam76 says:

To be an elite team, you need the goalie to “steal” a coupe of games per month – Auld and Price are doing the job this season (for now).

21. ManApart says:

Even Sutter isn’t that crazy, Iggy’s Calgary version of Saku. I’m sure offers from other clubs would be a lot more. I could see Burke going hard after him. Kadri could even be in play.

22. TomNickle says:

Sutter has proven that he’ll trade a star for depth too!

23. Clay4bc says:

As Kempie pointed out below, that Sutter is Sather crazy. He just might go for it!

__________________________

Fighting Ignorance since 1970 (It’s taking longer than I thought).

24. ManApart says:

Weird coincidence, I was hanging with his brother Hugo last night.

25. kempie says:

I’d make that deal. But don’t forget though, that Sutter is Sather crazy.

26. TomNickle says:

It’s Darryl Sutter James.

27. TomNickle says:

Sutter probably wouldn’t even think of Eller and I don’t think I would do that.

I’d rather give up a first round pick with our first round pick history.  Keep Eller.

Throw Pouliot and a veteran defenseman in there.

28. ManApart says:

No way that’s enough. O’byrne and Pouliot are fringe players and who would want a 5.5 million aging defenseman? Calgary needs offense not defense. Ak46 would have to be in the deal for sure.

29. Clay4bc says:

How about Eller? And a first…

Would like to say Gomez though – damn your rules!

__________________________

Fighting Ignorance since 1970 (It’s taking longer than I thought).

30. Danno says:

I think he holds dual citizenships.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

31. HFX-HabFan says:

That would be fairly awesome, considering the Olympics will be in Sochi, Russia.

If Peter Statsny and Petr Nedved can represent us in international play, Markov can too!  I think.

32. Clay4bc says:

Can’t believe I’m going to type this, but it’s the truth…

We were outplayed for long stretches last night, and Alex Auld held us in the game. There, I said it…but it was really the only game all season where we were outplayed like that, so no worries – first place –  Sweet! This team is looking great. Can’t get complacent tonight just because we’re playing a bottom feeder though…

In an unrelated incident…Gomez is on pace for a 25 point season. What a bargain! Not sold on Eller yet, either…

Pleks and AK on pace for 82 points…there are the real bargains. Fire Gomez!

__________________________

Fighting Ignorance since 1970 (It’s taking longer than I thought).

33. HFX-HabFan says:

Gomez isn’t retired.  He’s a key part of our team.  You’re almost as bad as SmartDog.

We realistically don’t have much to offer the Flames, but then look at the group of “assets” he took from the Laughs.  Hammer’s salary would have to go for sure, but they would probably ask for AK46 first and either a couple of prospects or a smattering of picks.

34. FB says:

I think Georges has been solid this year

35. FB says:

I doubt he will play for Canada at the next olympics

36. Xtrahabsfan says:

Sign Gill to a 3 year deal,period!

37. Bill J says:

LOL nice one Brad…

38. HFX-HabFan says:

Matthias was great in Belleville and in his one appearance at the WJC.  Trading him away at the deadline for a broken-down rental (Bertuzzi) could very well go down as one of Ken Holland’s few bad trades.

39. Danno says:

Odds are much much better that the Leafs will win the cup than Harper will win a majority.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

40. Number31 says:

Tinordi stakes claim – The Knights rookie proves himself worthy to take on the other team’s best scoring line.

“Tinordi was, in many ways, the reason why London’s defence was being held up as one of the league’s stingiest units. When he decided to forego college hockey at Notre Dame in August and reported to the Knights, the team got another big, strong horse capable of bulldozing smaller forwards into rubble.”

Soon to clear annoying forwards from a Habs’ goal crease at a rink near you.

41. Xtrahabsfan says:

Ak ,Boyd and Spach FOR Iggy

42. TomNickle says:

I would honestly offer Hamrlik, O’Byrne, Pouliot and a 1st rounder or combination of 2nd rounders.

Hamrlik’s salary has to go to make that deal.  The alternatives are Gionta, Cammalleri, Plekanec and Markov.

I don’t think trading any of those players is worth it.

43. TomNickle says:

He doesn’t get paid to be complete.  He’s aware of his limitations.

I’d be surprised if there’s a more intelligent player on our roster.

44. LA Loyalist says:

Trouble in Calgary.

Who/what would you trade for Iginla – small risk but a player who could possibly put us over the top.

And you can’t say Gomez a) no one would want him b) he’s retired

45. TomNickle says:

Maybe his skates are too tight or perhaps he tapes his ankles.  I don’t know what the hell his deal is.

He’s still had a very good start to the year despite the falling over air every third shift.

46. LA Loyalist says:

Markov got his doggie papers. He’s Canadian now. He’ll be watching Red Green and Trailer Park Boys, buying duct tape and eating Tim Hortons, St Hubert, shooting pool on St. Laurent…

Excuse me, I have to go cry now.

47. mike g says:

lol…

Did you see him trip over the blueline last night, and then the ISLES d-man gave a stretch-pass to Moulson who went all alone on a breakway?

Nobody touched him, nothing. He was on a 1 on 1, saw the blueline and tripped over it.

WTF? lol

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

48. habsguy says:

yup,  now if he could only skate and get to a loose puck first!!!!!….he’d be complete!!!

49. TomNickle says:

Matthias is gonna be a good one.

Watch out for him.  Red Wings didn’t want to give him up.

50. TomNickle says:

Pretty scary to think about how good our team can be with him in the lineup.

51. HFX-HabFan says:

Since we’re facing the Panthers tonight, here’s a lineup comprised of players who made their NHL debut in Florida.  Consider:

Booth-Weiss-Horton

Huselius-Olesz-Frolik

Hagman-Matthias-A Stewart

Glass-Niedermayer-Dvorak

Campbell

Bouwmeester-Boyle

Spacek-Jovanovski

Kulikov-Kuba

Garrison

Salak

Markstrom

Total cost = $61.58mil (or nearly $2.2mil over the cap)

Not a terrible team- limited firepower up front, a solid (albeit overpaid) blueline, and two young prospects in net (I hate Markstrom but he is considered the best European goaltending prospect out there).  To come in under the cap, you could easily replace one of the high-priced forwards with a cheaper rookie like McArdle, Duco or Repik, or sub out Kuba (is he on LITR?) on the backline for Ellerby.

52. TomNickle says:

Pouliot has the odd flash of brilliance from his knees.

No pun intended.

53. mike g says:

Hal Gill has earned every penny since he’s been here…

They should re-sign him to a 1 year deal, with a club option for the 2nd year. He’s been our 3rd best defenseman since last year, with Markov and Georges ahead of him. Plays consistent hockey, and a great teammate.

And on another note, he should teach Pouliot how to play hockey when your lying down on the ice. Since Benny’s always falling, he could probably dominate a game if taught properly. And something tells me it’s already in the works. Against NYI on Wednesday, Benny went on a breakaway while on his knees!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

54. mike g says:

Some spicy burger…

Can’t remember the name. My gf got to choose it, cuz she caught me checkin out the waitresses DD’s.

It was worth it…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

55. Bill J says:

King Russia ?

You meant to say Mr. Canadiens right ?

btw he aint Russian no more 😛 lol he is Canadian! (at least while he resides here during the season anyways)

hehe

56. mike g says:

Wait, wait, wait…

Something is seriously wrong with all of you’s this morning…

ANDREI MARKOV returns to the lineup tonight, and we got people talking about politics on HIO??!!

Andrei Markov people!! King Russia!

Aweye, la!

Here’s our best player who attempted to return during last years playoffs with a torn ACL!

I hope he gets a standing O tonight, that fast-healing Russian bastard.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

57. TomNickle says:

You people can jump on my back for this all you want but Hal Gill has moved the puck better than all of our defensemen not named Subban so far.  He had a big fight last night which shot some life back into our team and drew a goalie interference call against the Isles on Wednesday night right after Roloson’s temper tantrum realizing the officials would be looking for retaliation.

He’s been worth the total monetary value of his contract already in my opinion.

And I’m stunned at how well he’s moved the puck.

If Montreal was an environment he needed to play like this, I’m just disappointed that we didn’t have him five years ago.

58. CanadienBoy says:

Last years run as given them the confidence to try and win every game.This is why playoffs run built teams chemistry for the big price and so are the others final four it’s shaping up to be a very interesting years,

59. fbkj says:

was it the blitz or the new angus one… the blitz is overkill IMO

60. Rugger says:

6 games against last years play-off teams, 5-1.  4 games against last years 100+ points teams, 3-1.  They have been playing and beating good teams.

61. mike g says:

Yea, u got a point there…

But the burger I had was decent, and the nachos were good.

But the waitresses, oh yea…..

C’est le but!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

62. TomNickle says:

Yeah I see that.  Didn’t know until last night when I looked it up.

Colton Orr isn’t exactly Laraque but Shelley can fight.  Engelland’s been impressive.

Love Hal Gill’s fight last night.  You know he didn’t want to do it but realized that he had to.  What a great guy.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets a one year extension.  I hope he does.

NEXT FRIDAY BOYS AND GIRLS,….WE ARE GOING TO SEE OUR FIRST PLACE CLUB.

2010 HIO Fan Summit Itinerary Nov. 5th and 6th in Montreal

FRIDAY
    Nov. 5th, We are watching the Habs vs  Sabers game at Hurley’s Pub
    1225 Crescent St.  on big screen around 6pm. Name tags will be given out.

SAT. morning, Breakfast will be at Chez Coras 1240 Drummond St. at 8:30am

SAT.
    at 10;30 Bell Center tour and Habs Hall of Fame tour. The “Rockets”
    granddaughter Cathrine Richard is putting on the tour for us this year.

SAT.
    at 2:45 Pregame meal and The Gainey Children’s Foundation Raffle at The Baton
    Rouge Rest. 1050 Mountain St.

Don’t forget to bring along something to
    contribute to the raffle please.

Across the street at 7pm our Habs take on Kovalev and the Ottawa Senator’s

After
    game celebration. We have the second floor of Hurley’s Pub reserved for
    us. And like every year our Gazette leaders will be there to celibrate with us.

Everyone is welcome, so see you all in Montreal.

» Read Ian Cobb’s HI/O Blog

64. showey47 says:

and he’s only listed at 6’2″ and 202. Kind of throws alot of the theories out the window,doesn’t it?

65. fbkj says:

and i would agree with you if the current lot of conservatives werent part of the frasier institute of psychos that were key signitaries of the reform and alliance parties…

the entire spectrum of canadian politics is a joke but at least iggy and layton dont have advisors that are of the mindset that canada is not a viable country

and why would you enjoy pain in others, in any capacity, let alone something based on your partisanship?

66. TomNickle says:

Oh, and this just in folks.  There could be a new heavyweight champ in the NHL.

Deryk Engelland can fight.  He’s concussed Colton Orr and massacred Jody Shelley.

Can’t wait to watch the Pens and Rangers.

67. habsfan_61 says:

here’s my take on the first 10 games. excellent record (7-2-1) albeit against weaker teams. still, the points are banked and am happy about that. i want to see how they do against the so called better teams before we can really judge the habs. price has been very good.team defense is also doing well.danger signs are that gio/gomez have been cold but will get back to normal soon. spacek and hammer are not cutting it dont know if that will continue to fall or get better. pp has sucked but should get better when markov gets back tonite. pk is tops as is subban, big time star in the making once he figures out the game.ak46 is a mchine and hopefully continues to pot em and poupou is playing well and results are bearing fruit also hopefully that continues.

68. TomNickle says:

Harper getting a majority?

Not sure what you’ve been smoking but that’s never gonna happen.  Fortunately for us there are enough people in this country to counter balance the “there’s one born every minute” theory.

69. fbkj says:

great waitresses

crappy food

i dare you to try the mini burgers on the appetizer menu, then tell me which brand of dog food was used

70. Thomas Le Fan says:

You know Mike, just once you could take a cheap shot at Obama or HEY SINCE WE”RE CANADIANS, Iggy or Jack Layton. Although I love reading about hockey and getting “The Anti Conservative Sucker Punch of The Day” I’m really going to enjoy the pain of you guys watching Stephen Harper get a majority and BHO losing his. Have A Nice Day. GO HABS and PMSH.

71. FrederictonHabsfan says:

I see Red felt the need to dedicate a whole article to the greatness of the St. Louis Blue’s Goalie.

He’s now written more about the Blue’s goalie than he has about the Habs goalie this year.

Maybe the St. Louis Post-Dispatch has an opening in the cranky old man department?

72. mike g says:

Alright ladies….

So I left work early last night, came to NDG to pick up the girlfriend and then headed to La Cage Aux Sports to watch the game. Now for those of you who don’t know what La Cage is, it’s the biggest chain of sports bar/restaurant type place to watch sporting events in Quebec.

Anyhoo, it was about 2-3 years since I last went there to watch a game, and man was it fun. Loud music, fancy ladies, pitchers of beer, fancy ladies, pretty good burgers, great nachos, and even more fancy ladies. The atmosphere is great, but I just don’t like when a grown man jumps up at a non-penalty call and spits out half his burger while he screams. Happened only once, so I;ll let it pass.

So a pitcher of beer, nachos and a burger with fries came out to $48. It’s not the end of the world, but it’s a little expensive. I’d honestly watch most games there if I could, but my wallet would be empty by game 15 of the season.

So all in all it was a good night, except for one thing. Common you guys,  Mike G has to at least complain about one thing….

I’m paying my bill last night and getting ready to jet out the door before the 200 people in there all decide to pay at once. So I’m paying with my debit card, and this young lady at the table next to where I’m paying signals for me to move out of the way. I realized I was obstructing here view towards the big projector, so I moved. But then I felt like telling that nacho-eatin’ female, “Hey Madamme! There’s about 700 televisions in this place. And there’s 12 seconds left in a 3-1 game. Did you really have to interrupt me while I was trying to pay? Could you not have finished watching those couple of seconds on this smaller tv, which in 4 feet away from your face?”

Anyways, I didn’t say anything and I moved. Cuz that’s the kinda guy Mike G is. That’s why all the fancy ladies in that place looked at me at least once.

Oh, and I can’t wait for the game tonight! Florida is such a great/exciting opposition to watch!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.